2. Miscellaneous

Winchester, VA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Trex Composite Decking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

As a builder and contractor who has much experience with Trex installation, I cannot recommend their products. Based on initial product cost and install cost, I believe the Trex system is overrated. Quality control: Most of the deck boards and some of the very expensive 12" trim boards I've dealt with have warped ends on the flat. The warp is a manufacturing issue, not due to shipping or storage, and the warped end sections are roughly 6" to 14". There is no installation technique to remove the warp, so the ends must be removed. This adds up to a lot of wasted product.

Installation concerns: First off, I do not recommend that deck building should be done by persons inexperienced with structural concerns, power tools, and proper framing and finishing techniques. Regardless of the type of decking to be used, it is critical to ensure that, if using wood, the joist work is free of excessive crowning, (all crowns up, remove crowns completely, or select straight boards). Trex, when used with a hidden fastener system, is very unforgiving when trying to install over uneven joist work. Of course, proper framing should apply to all deck building, and is most important when using composite decking such as Trex.

I have used the various hidden and exposed fastening systems made for Trex installation. With the hidden fasteners, future board replacement will require deck screws and plugs to install new boards. Color-matched plugs are not available for some, if not all Trex boards that are ribbed on their underside. There are color-matched screws available, but when installed, are far more noticeable than screws capped with color matched plugs. And here's the rub. Hidden fasteners don't need plugs since there shouldn't be any screw holes.

But if using the matching fascia boards, there are no hidden fasteners used to install these boards, so one must use the color- matched screws without plugs. Seems Trex could offer plugs for that reason, but they apparently haven't thought that one through very well. Exposed screws, color-matched or not, look bad, and considering the expense of Trex versus wood, the end result is somewhat lacking. Other reviewers here have mentioned many issues with weathering, spotting, warping, etc. I have had issues with the somewhat over-priced Trex lighting controls. Partial functions, or short life to some. Buyer beware. I will say the lighting systems look great when functioning properly.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I replaced my cedar decking five years ago with Trex Transcends Havana Gold decking. Never was a big believer in composite decking but have changed my mind. No more staining. Deck still looks great. I have a large dog and haven’t experienced the scratches others claim, I power wash once a year with Corte Clean and it looks like new.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 5, 2020

We purchased the Trex decking in 2015. This was a self installed project. I wish we had not picked this product. Warping and bowing. We invested a lot of money in this project only to be extremely disappointed. We submitted a warranty claim with Trex. It took them two weeks to respond. We submitted all of the information requested. The warranty person called to say that in 2015 Trex changed the installation guidance. We were not told this in 2015. Therefore, Trex was not willing to reimburse us for any out of pocket expenses to repair the deck. We were considering two other projects using this product. Will not happen!!!! Stick with the reliable pressured retreated lumber is my advice to anyone.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I‘ve only had the premium Trex Transcend decking installed a few months ago and now regret not going with a much less expensive wood that could be refinished every 2 years because Trex Transcend Scratches Very Easily and there is nothing you can do about it except replace the board, which isn’t practical if you used their hidden fastening system where all the boards are interconnected not to mention a total pain. On top of that, there is sagging and ends popping up. Do yourself a favor and avoid this company.

Original review: June 27, 2020

After 3 seasons my TREX decking began to warp. I went to the website and filled out a lengthy complaint form including many photos (taken from several angles as requested) and my receipts. That was over 5 months ago and I have heard nothing back from TREX. There is no other way to contact them about this warping problem. My advice: DO NOT BUY TREX. THE 25 YEAR WARRANTY IS WORTHLESS. My friend use Timber Tech decking and his still looks great 10 years later. But Timber Tech instead.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Spent $18,000 on two new decks. Within the first week, my two German Shepherds had left dirty paw prints. I thought, no big deal, I’ll just hose it off. I have scrubbed with Dawn a total of four times now and the prints remain!! I am so upset right now! Do not waste your money on Trex!! This has been such a huge mistake and this company will not stand behind their product!! Soft pressure washing does nothing either, it’s like the dirt is baked in. The deck is already fading as well and has developed these white speckles.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I did my deck in Trex composite decking, just about 625 sf. I purchased Havana Gold for the field and Spiced Rum for trim and accents. I was short about 8 - 24 ft Havana Gold boards so I ordered those. They came and were a totally different color. I returned them and they resent another 8 boards and they were also a totally different color. I had no choice so I took them and rearranged the boards I had already installed to have these appear as another accent. Then I went to build a planter, ordered boards to use as top trim sitting on shelf angles and now the Trex boards are no longer flat on the underside. They are scalloped on the underside and are useless to use as trim for the planter.

The only reason I purchased Trex over Timber Tech was because they were flat on the underside, So Trex changes the board shape to scalloped to save money (scalloped uses less composite material than solid flat) without any notice to save money and now they are no better than Timber Tech or other lesser costing composite decking. You blew it Trex. Lost another loyal customer.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I had to replace a 20 year old wood deck that was rotting and decided to go with the Trex Transcend product over wood in spite of the cost. I chose a Pro Platinum rated builder because I didn’t want to take any chances on this $30k plus project. I have to say I am very disappointed with both the product and the builder. The balusters rattle when I walk across the deck. The boards are wavy (because I didn’t buy the steel joists) and the ends of the deck boards have “ski tipping” where they meet up. All that is on top of the deck having to be leveled because the columns sunk.

The contractor didn’t think any of my complaints were legitimate so I contacted Trex. They started off being helpful and wrote a technical letter to the contractor informing him the deck does not meet their installation expectations. They also said the area rep would contact the builder and tell him that he needed to fix my deck to keep his Pro Platinum standing but I never heard from the builder. I went back and forth with Trex a few times and finally got a hold of the builder who told me he was never contacted by Trex. I called Trex back, asked them for the name of the area rep but they refused to give me his contact information. When I pushed them for more support they said that they only cover material issues and I had a problem with the build of the deck. I explained that I hired the person based on Trex’ rating but that didn’t matter.

The builder said all he can do about the ski tipping is to put screws in the end of the boards and try to pull them down. I don’t recall seeing that in any of the decks shown in the Trex catalog. I trusted Trex and made a huge investment in their product based on all their marketing claims. Don’t be fooled like I was. Go with wood and pay someone to refinish it every couple of years. You’ll save money in the long run and have a better looking deck. 4

Original review: April 25, 2020

Installed Trex about 9 years ago as a no/low maintenance replacement for wood. Within a year or so began fading. Over time dirt settled in, mold spots appeared, and the look became worse and worse. Have tried to clean; somewhat successful but takes much work and cleaners for mold, etc. Does not save time and costs more than wood. Would probably take as much time to maintain wood but once resealed, etc, it looks new. NOT SO with Trex; once faded it keeps looking worse over time. BAD decision. Ron

Original review: April 12, 2020

We had 3 decks replaced with Trex Transcend Tiki and edges framed with Vintage Lantern. After 4 years the portions of the decks that are exposed to direct sun have seriously faded, the Vintage Lantern the worst. What started out as almost black, the Vintage Lantern is now mostly white and the Tiki has streaks of gray in it. Those portions of the decks which are not in direct sunlight are OK. I would NOT recommend this product if your deck is going to have much sun on it. Trex does have a fade warranty but after 2 years it covers replacement of the product but not labor.

Trex Composite Decking Company Information