2. Miscellaneous

Winchester, VA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Trex Composite Decking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?

Original review: July 5, 2020

We purchased the Trex decking in 2015. This was a self installed project. I wish we had not picked this product. Warping and bowing. We invested a lot of money in this project only to be extremely disappointed. We submitted a warranty claim with Trex. It took them two weeks to respond. We submitted all of the information requested. The warranty person called to say that in 2015 Trex changed the installation guidance. We were not told this in 2015. Therefore, Trex was not willing to reimburse us for any out of pocket expenses to repair the deck. We were considering two other projects using this product. Will not happen!!!! Stick with the reliable pressured retreated lumber is my advice to anyone.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I‘ve only had the premium Trex Transcend decking installed a few months ago and now regret not going with a much less expensive wood that could be refinished every 2 years because Trex Transcend Scratches Very Easily and there is nothing you can do about it except replace the board, which isn’t practical if you used their hidden fastening system where all the boards are interconnected not to mention a total pain. On top of that, there is sagging and ends popping up. Do yourself a favor and avoid this company.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2020

After 3 seasons my TREX decking began to warp. I went to the website and filled out a lengthy complaint form including many photos (taken from several angles as requested) and my receipts. That was over 5 months ago and I have heard nothing back from TREX. There is no other way to contact them about this warping problem. My advice: DO NOT BUY TREX. THE 25 YEAR WARRANTY IS WORTHLESS. My friend use Timber Tech decking and his still looks great 10 years later. But Timber Tech instead.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Spent $18,000 on two new decks. Within the first week, my two German Shepherds had left dirty paw prints. I thought, no big deal, I’ll just hose it off. I have scrubbed with Dawn a total of four times now and the prints remain!! I am so upset right now! Do not waste your money on Trex!! This has been such a huge mistake and this company will not stand behind their product!! Soft pressure washing does nothing either, it’s like the dirt is baked in. The deck is already fading as well and has developed these white speckles.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I did my deck in Trex composite decking, just about 625 sf. I purchased Havana Gold for the field and Spiced Rum for trim and accents. I was short about 8 - 24 ft Havana Gold boards so I ordered those. They came and were a totally different color. I returned them and they resent another 8 boards and they were also a totally different color. I had no choice so I took them and rearranged the boards I had already installed to have these appear as another accent. Then I went to build a planter, ordered boards to use as top trim sitting on shelf angles and now the Trex boards are no longer flat on the underside. They are scalloped on the underside and are useless to use as trim for the planter.

The only reason I purchased Trex over Timber Tech was because they were flat on the underside, So Trex changes the board shape to scalloped to save money (scalloped uses less composite material than solid flat) without any notice to save money and now they are no better than Timber Tech or other lesser costing composite decking. You blew it Trex. Lost another loyal customer.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I had to replace a 20 year old wood deck that was rotting and decided to go with the Trex Transcend product over wood in spite of the cost. I chose a Pro Platinum rated builder because I didn’t want to take any chances on this $30k plus project. I have to say I am very disappointed with both the product and the builder. The balusters rattle when I walk across the deck. The boards are wavy (because I didn’t buy the steel joists) and the ends of the deck boards have “ski tipping” where they meet up. All that is on top of the deck having to be leveled because the columns sunk.

The contractor didn’t think any of my complaints were legitimate so I contacted Trex. They started off being helpful and wrote a technical letter to the contractor informing him the deck does not meet their installation expectations. They also said the area rep would contact the builder and tell him that he needed to fix my deck to keep his Pro Platinum standing but I never heard from the builder. I went back and forth with Trex a few times and finally got a hold of the builder who told me he was never contacted by Trex. I called Trex back, asked them for the name of the area rep but they refused to give me his contact information. When I pushed them for more support they said that they only cover material issues and I had a problem with the build of the deck. I explained that I hired the person based on Trex’ rating but that didn’t matter.

The builder said all he can do about the ski tipping is to put screws in the end of the boards and try to pull them down. I don’t recall seeing that in any of the decks shown in the Trex catalog. I trusted Trex and made a huge investment in their product based on all their marketing claims. Don’t be fooled like I was. Go with wood and pay someone to refinish it every couple of years. You’ll save money in the long run and have a better looking deck. 4

Original review: April 25, 2020

Installed Trex about 9 years ago as a no/low maintenance replacement for wood. Within a year or so began fading. Over time dirt settled in, mold spots appeared, and the look became worse and worse. Have tried to clean; somewhat successful but takes much work and cleaners for mold, etc. Does not save time and costs more than wood. Would probably take as much time to maintain wood but once resealed, etc, it looks new. NOT SO with Trex; once faded it keeps looking worse over time. BAD decision. Ron

Original review: April 12, 2020

We had 3 decks replaced with Trex Transcend Tiki and edges framed with Vintage Lantern. After 4 years the portions of the decks that are exposed to direct sun have seriously faded, the Vintage Lantern the worst. What started out as almost black, the Vintage Lantern is now mostly white and the Tiki has streaks of gray in it. Those portions of the decks which are not in direct sunlight are OK. I would NOT recommend this product if your deck is going to have much sun on it. Trex does have a fade warranty but after 2 years it covers replacement of the product but not labor.

Original review: March 29, 2020

Had Trex Deck installed. First year great then...warping, fading, moldy, holding water, as each year goes by the warping, fading, etc gets worse. Now the boards are so warped you trip. A $9,000 mistake. I chose trex because I believed the claims that it was maintenance free and I wanted something I didn't have to restain every year. Worse mistake I ever made regarding my home. If you're thinking of installing a trex deck DON'T.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

DO NOT BUY TREX!! Beam splicing (end to end). Is stone age design. Product warps quickly, fades quickly and may God help you if assistant through Tech support is required. Good luck if you ignore this warning. TREX SUCKS

Trex Composite Decking Company Information