2. Miscellaneous

Winchester, VA

1.4/5 (121 ratings)

About Trex Composite Decking

Trex Composite Decking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

This is the second Trex deck that I have installed. Prices have stayed about the same over the past 15 years. The best part is the decking install and railing install have gotten easier. The decking appears to have become less flimsy but the railings, though easier to install same to have become more flimsy. I paid $700 for the Trex aluminum gate. What a piece of garbage. Followed the directions and it almost did not fit. When screwing it together over half of the self tapping screw heads snapped off. Even after I predrilled the holes. One of the post caps was bent. If you go with a gate stay away from their overpriced junk.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I installed a new Trex deck and railings (Enhance Toasted Sand) in late August/early September 2020. By April 2021 I started noticing white spots on the deck. Called my contractor who said it wasn’t mold and said he wound reach out to supplier who referred me to Trex. Was told Trex Is not maintenance free but low maintenance and said I had to try several cleaning options before filing a claim. They said hard water could be the issue. I said even before I ever hosed this deck down, I have had consecutive days of heavy rain.

Deck looks great. Wet but dries with white spots! What is it. “Acid rain?” The deck is literally 6-7 months old! But I did the dawn soapy water wash and that didn’t help. Then I did the vinegar treatment and hand dried my entire deck. That didn’t work. They now want me to try a deck brightener!! I told them I am not putting chemicals on my new deck. They assured me that the acid in the Olympic brightener is “green” and not harmful to the deck. I have not done this treatment yet but will only try this on a small portion of the deck because it can lighten it.

I’ve had it with Trex. They are passing the buck and not accepting responsibility for their sub-standard product. I read similar reviews about people with dogs and trying to get the paw prints off… I have the same experience. The deck looked beautiful new and looks horrible now. I paid about $15000. I want Trex to be held accountable and am interested in pursuing a class action suit. If anyone wants to join me please post a comment so we can make plans to pursue this suit. I’m tired of manufacturers not upholding their warranties and just wearing the consumer down.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2021

When we purchased Trex it was great but after just a few years there was flaking and other issues. I called numerous times. Then there was a recall. They gave us a less expensive replacement decking material that did not match the railings. They did not pay for any labor or even nails. Sent us dimes on the dollar when it was a problem with their manufacturing. BUYERS BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

Trex curled on ends of each boards. We used your fasteners and it was 50 degrees out. Your rep did not come out to view just replied it was installed a wrong leaving customer unhappy saying there is no warranty. I will

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

As a builder and contractor who has much experience with Trex installation, I cannot recommend their products. Based on initial product cost and install cost, I believe the Trex system is overrated. Quality control: Most of the deck boards and some of the very expensive 12" trim boards I've dealt with have warped ends on the flat. The warp is a manufacturing issue, not due to shipping or storage, and the warped end sections are roughly 6" to 14". There is no installation technique to remove the warp, so the ends must be removed. This adds up to a lot of wasted product.

Installation concerns: First off, I do not recommend that deck building should be done by persons inexperienced with structural concerns, power tools, and proper framing and finishing techniques. Regardless of the type of decking to be used, it is critical to ensure that, if using wood, the joist work is free of excessive crowning, (all crowns up, remove crowns completely, or select straight boards). Trex, when used with a hidden fastener system, is very unforgiving when trying to install over uneven joist work. Of course, proper framing should apply to all deck building, and is most important when using composite decking such as Trex.

I have used the various hidden and exposed fastening systems made for Trex installation. With the hidden fasteners, future board replacement will require deck screws and plugs to install new boards. Color-matched plugs are not available for some, if not all Trex boards that are ribbed on their underside. There are color-matched screws available, but when installed, are far more noticeable than screws capped with color matched plugs. And here's the rub. Hidden fasteners don't need plugs since there shouldn't be any screw holes.

But if using the matching fascia boards, there are no hidden fasteners used to install these boards, so one must use the color- matched screws without plugs. Seems Trex could offer plugs for that reason, but they apparently haven't thought that one through very well. Exposed screws, color-matched or not, look bad, and considering the expense of Trex versus wood, the end result is somewhat lacking. Other reviewers here have mentioned many issues with weathering, spotting, warping, etc. I have had issues with the somewhat over-priced Trex lighting controls. Partial functions, or short life to some. Buyer beware. I will say the lighting systems look great when functioning properly.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I replaced my cedar decking five years ago with Trex Transcends Havana Gold decking. Never was a big believer in composite decking but have changed my mind. No more staining. Deck still looks great. I have a large dog and haven’t experienced the scratches others claim, I power wash once a year with Corte Clean and it looks like new.

Original review: July 5, 2020

We purchased the Trex decking in 2015. This was a self installed project. I wish we had not picked this product. Warping and bowing. We invested a lot of money in this project only to be extremely disappointed. We submitted a warranty claim with Trex. It took them two weeks to respond. We submitted all of the information requested. The warranty person called to say that in 2015 Trex changed the installation guidance. We were not told this in 2015. Therefore, Trex was not willing to reimburse us for any out of pocket expenses to repair the deck. We were considering two other projects using this product. Will not happen!!!! Stick with the reliable pressured retreated lumber is my advice to anyone.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I‘ve only had the premium Trex Transcend decking installed a few months ago and now regret not going with a much less expensive wood that could be refinished every 2 years because Trex Transcend Scratches Very Easily and there is nothing you can do about it except replace the board, which isn’t practical if you used their hidden fastening system where all the boards are interconnected not to mention a total pain. On top of that, there is sagging and ends popping up. Do yourself a favor and avoid this company.

Original review: June 27, 2020

After 3 seasons my TREX decking began to warp. I went to the website and filled out a lengthy complaint form including many photos (taken from several angles as requested) and my receipts. That was over 5 months ago and I have heard nothing back from TREX. There is no other way to contact them about this warping problem. My advice: DO NOT BUY TREX. THE 25 YEAR WARRANTY IS WORTHLESS. My friend use Timber Tech decking and his still looks great 10 years later. But Timber Tech instead.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Spent $18,000 on two new decks. Within the first week, my two German Shepherds had left dirty paw prints. I thought, no big deal, I’ll just hose it off. I have scrubbed with Dawn a total of four times now and the prints remain!! I am so upset right now! Do not waste your money on Trex!! This has been such a huge mistake and this company will not stand behind their product!! Soft pressure washing does nothing either, it’s like the dirt is baked in. The deck is already fading as well and has developed these white speckles.

Trex Composite Decking Company Information