Winchester, VA

1.4/5 (124 ratings)

About Trex Composite Decking

Trex Composite Decking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?

Original review: May 12, 2022

I purchased composite decking for steps into my backyard. Immediately after the installation we walked down the steps along with our family dog only to notice deep scratches on the product from the dog's feet. I called the company to ask for an explanation for the lack of durability in the product. The purpose of this product is for foot traffic. I was told that there is no warranty for scratches and I should use a hair dryer to attempt to remove scratches. The company was not willing at all to remedy the situation by at least offering to replace the defective piece, even as a one time gesture of good faith. This company does not stand behind their product. It is expensive yet fragile. If you are looking for a durable product stay away from this garbage.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Trex product and the company is by far the worst I have ever dealt with. Their product is shoddy, poor quality, warps, bows and flakes. Trex do not stand behind or support their product. I've had my "Trex" deck for less than 5 months and it is a total disaster, an embarrassment. And what does Trex do? Make me fight tooth and nail to claim the "warranty" and treat me poorly and with disrespect. I will never do business with them again. I will never recommend them to anyone, ever. I will try and dissuade anyone considering Trex. Trex is the worst product and company ever.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I've been a contractor for over 25 years. I've graduated from common pressure treated and cedar decks to the very costly and finicky Trex systems... Enhanced, Classic, Signature etc... The list of complaints is ridiculous and that's just for the installation part... Stainless screws that break... Missing plastic brackets that you have to buy a whole rail kit just to get more brackets.... A 6 ft trex signature aluminum rail system does not come with a foot block even though in the literature it says any rail section beyond 52 inches needs one. You have to buy separately - at great cost.

Trex Transcend is the worst. Customers pay out the nose for this garbage. It can look nice but is a very difficult rail system to install, especially stair kits... Why wouldn't they give you a bracket template inside the rail kit box? No they want you to pay for it. Expensive too.. Then, if you do have a complete kit, the damn screws strip and break without any real reason. It's as if they want you to break, scratch and screw up a 500$ rail kit. Then when you get close to the end, you have to fight with trying to install the finish gaskets that dress up the ends. Sounds good on paper but in the real world it's lipstick on a pig. Ends up mostly looking like ** and falls apart soon after. Break out the super glue...

Then there's the cortex screws. You can screw them in, but I've found to predrill w 1/8 bit before driving them.. They are soft, love to strip, you need a powerful fast drill to sink them and then they don't back out if you made a mistake. You have to punch them thru the boards with a nail set! Wtf?!! Mushrooming from the head of the screw happens whether ya predrill or not...no matter what temperature... You pretty much have to plan the framing of the deck around the increments of trex, that is if you want a proper "picture frame" look... There is so much trial by error and downright misery when building with trex. Out of a dozen trex decks of all shapes and sizes, I've never had one that went according to plan... Garbage.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

This is the second Trex deck that I have installed. Prices have stayed about the same over the past 15 years. The best part is the decking install and railing install have gotten easier. The decking appears to have become less flimsy but the railings, though easier to install same to have become more flimsy. I paid $700 for the Trex aluminum gate. What a piece of garbage. Followed the directions and it almost did not fit. When screwing it together over half of the self tapping screw heads snapped off. Even after I predrilled the holes. One of the post caps was bent. If you go with a gate stay away from their overpriced junk.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I installed a new Trex deck and railings (Enhance Toasted Sand) in late August/early September 2020. By April 2021 I started noticing white spots on the deck. Called my contractor who said it wasn’t mold and said he wound reach out to supplier who referred me to Trex. Was told Trex Is not maintenance free but low maintenance and said I had to try several cleaning options before filing a claim. They said hard water could be the issue. I said even before I ever hosed this deck down, I have had consecutive days of heavy rain.

Deck looks great. Wet but dries with white spots! What is it. “Acid rain?” The deck is literally 6-7 months old! But I did the dawn soapy water wash and that didn’t help. Then I did the vinegar treatment and hand dried my entire deck. That didn’t work. They now want me to try a deck brightener!! I told them I am not putting chemicals on my new deck. They assured me that the acid in the Olympic brightener is “green” and not harmful to the deck. I have not done this treatment yet but will only try this on a small portion of the deck because it can lighten it.

I’ve had it with Trex. They are passing the buck and not accepting responsibility for their sub-standard product. I read similar reviews about people with dogs and trying to get the paw prints off… I have the same experience. The deck looked beautiful new and looks horrible now. I paid about $15000. I want Trex to be held accountable and am interested in pursuing a class action suit. If anyone wants to join me please post a comment so we can make plans to pursue this suit. I’m tired of manufacturers not upholding their warranties and just wearing the consumer down.

Original review: July 1, 2021

When we purchased Trex it was great but after just a few years there was flaking and other issues. I called numerous times. Then there was a recall. They gave us a less expensive replacement decking material that did not match the railings. They did not pay for any labor or even nails. Sent us dimes on the dollar when it was a problem with their manufacturing. BUYERS BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

Trex curled on ends of each boards. We used your fasteners and it was 50 degrees out. Your rep did not come out to view just replied it was installed a wrong leaving customer unhappy saying there is no warranty. I will

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

As a builder and contractor who has much experience with Trex installation, I cannot recommend their products. Based on initial product cost and install cost, I believe the Trex system is overrated. Quality control: Most of the deck boards and some of the very expensive 12" trim boards I've dealt with have warped ends on the flat. The warp is a manufacturing issue, not due to shipping or storage, and the warped end sections are roughly 6" to 14". There is no installation technique to remove the warp, so the ends must be removed. This adds up to a lot of wasted product.

Installation concerns: First off, I do not recommend that deck building should be done by persons inexperienced with structural concerns, power tools, and proper framing and finishing techniques. Regardless of the type of decking to be used, it is critical to ensure that, if using wood, the joist work is free of excessive crowning, (all crowns up, remove crowns completely, or select straight boards). Trex, when used with a hidden fastener system, is very unforgiving when trying to install over uneven joist work. Of course, proper framing should apply to all deck building, and is most important when using composite decking such as Trex.

I have used the various hidden and exposed fastening systems made for Trex installation. With the hidden fasteners, future board replacement will require deck screws and plugs to install new boards. Color-matched plugs are not available for some, if not all Trex boards that are ribbed on their underside. There are color-matched screws available, but when installed, are far more noticeable than screws capped with color matched plugs. And here's the rub. Hidden fasteners don't need plugs since there shouldn't be any screw holes.

But if using the matching fascia boards, there are no hidden fasteners used to install these boards, so one must use the color- matched screws without plugs. Seems Trex could offer plugs for that reason, but they apparently haven't thought that one through very well. Exposed screws, color-matched or not, look bad, and considering the expense of Trex versus wood, the end result is somewhat lacking. Other reviewers here have mentioned many issues with weathering, spotting, warping, etc. I have had issues with the somewhat over-priced Trex lighting controls. Partial functions, or short life to some. Buyer beware. I will say the lighting systems look great when functioning properly.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I replaced my cedar decking five years ago with Trex Transcends Havana Gold decking. Never was a big believer in composite decking but have changed my mind. No more staining. Deck still looks great. I have a large dog and haven’t experienced the scratches others claim, I power wash once a year with Corte Clean and it looks like new.

Original review: July 5, 2020

We purchased the Trex decking in 2015. This was a self installed project. I wish we had not picked this product. Warping and bowing. We invested a lot of money in this project only to be extremely disappointed. We submitted a warranty claim with Trex. It took them two weeks to respond. We submitted all of the information requested. The warranty person called to say that in 2015 Trex changed the installation guidance. We were not told this in 2015. Therefore, Trex was not willing to reimburse us for any out of pocket expenses to repair the deck. We were considering two other projects using this product. Will not happen!!!! Stick with the reliable pressured retreated lumber is my advice to anyone.

Trex Composite Decking Company Information