1.36/5

Winchester, VA

99 Trex Composite Decking Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 8, 2019

I wished I could have found this review site prior to purchasing and installing my $15000 Trex deck - Feb 2019. I was lured by the durability and lack of maintenance as advertised. However, after installation, I realized that it is more difficult to remove dirt footprints off the Trex decking than off of regular wood decks. I have scrubbed on knees, power washed the deck three times and followed the customer service step by step instructions with no success. After the deck dries, the dirt footprints remain. What plastic material retains dirt? The customer service says that Trex warranty only food and beverage stain. However, the Trex website even shows a video on how to easily clean off dirt and even concrete off their supposedly easy to clean deck material. I am filing a consumer reports complaint that Trex is false advertising and not standing behind their products. If anyone else have further advise for a class action, please let us all know.

Original review: June 7, 2019

My Trex decking is 10 years old and has substantially deteriorated to the point where it is rough and pitted and the interior core material has become exposed. Since Trex decking is warranted for 25 years, I filed a warranty claim only to find out the quality problem I experienced was systemic and the subject to a Class Action suit against Trex. So Trex agreed to replace the defective decking but decides as a matter of 'policy' that they would only replace 113 of the 144 defective boards arguing that they only replace defective product on a square footage basis, even though acknowledging that there would not be enough boards to replace the defective ones. Are you kidding? I should splice deck boards to comport to their minimized square footage solution? Incredibly frustrating, unresponsive and inane.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I purchased $2,994 worth of Trex decking on May 14, 2019 and it's now June 3, 2019 and have yet to hear from Home Depot as to where is my purchase. I called Home Depot 3 times and the last called I asked for the phone number where the products were coming from. I called the company but couldn't tell me when I order was coming in. The gentleman stated that this never happens and yes, I was not convinced. I found this website and lo and behold, it's not a good company. I just wished I found out about this website before purchasing. I'm hoping Home Depot doesn't charge me for stocking fee because there was nothing to stock back. Wish me good luck guys!!!! I promise to warn everyone I know about this.

Original review: June 1, 2019

We installed Trex back in 2006-2008 not sure of exact date. It started literally shredding and falling apart. I called and filed a complaint. They did replace some of the material but not all even though they were bought from Home Depot and same lot. 5 years ago the rest started falling apart. I would NEVER ever recommend this brand. It’s absolutely terrible. When they dropped off our material it was across the street and no communication as to when it was arriving. A horrible experience. I’m hoping they go out of business soon.

Original review: May 31, 2019

We refinished our deck with the transcends Tiki. After one year the fascia boards started warping. The boards pulled away from the decking 1-2 inches. We took the material back to Outdoor materials and had to purchase new boards. They would not stand behind the warranty and told us they had lots of issues with the fascia boards. We will never buy from them again or this material.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?

Original review: May 21, 2019

Installed decking and fascia boards now have numerous white spots. Not what material looked like when installed. Trex tells me it is a natural weathering process where composite particles rise and become visible. It is not what I expected and would not have selected Trex if I knew this would happen in less than 7 months of use. Use another product, not Trex. Numerous white specs are readily visible on all boards. ☹️☹️☹️

Original review: May 6, 2019

Buyer beware - Trex does not stand behind their warranty and the poor response by their consumer claims department has convinced me to never purchase another of their products. In the summer of 2016 I had over $2000 of Trex composite decking material installed according to their installation guidelines. The decking material has held up well thru 3 Chicago winters (so far). However, the Transcend Composite 2X4s that were used to cap the fencing around the deck have warped. I purchased all the material at Home Depot and they directed me to their local Trex Sales Rep (Brian **) who recommended I submit a claim on the Trex website.

I filed a claim with the required photos and proof of home ownership on 4/9/19. I followed up on 4/16 and again on 4/26 and was told it was "under review". I followed up again on 5/1/19 and was told it was declined because I had used caulk on the one miter corner. I explained that the caulk was used after the board had warped to protect the underlying fence from water damage and potential rot. Then they said I did not follow the installation guidelines requiring a screw 1 inch from the edge of the board. That also was incorrect with evidence in the photos I provided. Then they said they declined it because it should have been installed using 2 screws 1 inch from the edge.

I requested the claim be escalated. It was again declined using the same reasoning: #1 using caulk, #2 failure to use a screw 1 inch from the edge (also not true) and finally, #3 failure to use 2 screws 1 inch from the edge. I explained that all 3 of the composite 2X4s were installed at the same time using the same method. However, not all of the edges of the 3 boards warped. This could have been easily resolved for less than $53/board. Instead of gaining a lifelong customer, I will no longer use a Trex product and will recommend anyone who asks that Trex does not stand behind their warranty.

Original review: May 6, 2019

We purchased the Trex in 2008, and it was an expensive mistake. The product fades, warps, holds water, molds terrible, and now it's literally falling apart! We have a large deck, and replacing only the bad boards isn't an option since there is so much damage and fading the new boards will look like a completely different product. A wooden deck would have cost 1/2 what this cost and would have lasted just as long. Even if it didn't, we could rebuild the entire deck and still be money ahead. VERY unhappy with this product!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

The deck is horrible. Falling and molding. No replacement. Offered 10 cents per linear foot. Do not use. The decking failed in under a year. I now have a backyard and front door that to this day is an eyesore. I will never recommend this product or buy again. A lot of money and time wasted. Shame on Trex.

Original review: April 30, 2019

DO NOT USE TREX FOR YOUR DECK PROJECT!!! The company will fail to stand behind their warranty, using every excuse in the book to deny your warranty claim. Anyone considering Trex, please contact me first, and I will send you pictures of the $60,000 project at my house that is a total joke less than three years later!

Original review: March 19, 2019

It's been less than an year since we had our deck built, by a professional contractor. It holds water, all the boards have warped, and sag. One would think spending 9k on materials would produce better results. Beyond disappointing.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I spent about $10k to build an all composite Trex deck. It was the finest looking deck in the area for the first few months. Since then, the fascia has warped a great deal, and the manufacturer will do everything in their power to not honor their product's warranty. I would highly recommend not using Trex for your next project. Hopefully we can get a class action lawsuit going.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Had our Trex down for under a month. It holds water. I believe we got either seconds or it is defective. The local rep was just here and said it looks fine... NOT... I can't even squeegee it off. There will be a lawsuit if they don't replace it!!!! Will keep you posted on what they do to make this right...

Update: We have heard from Trex and they said that is how it is. They will not help us on getting it corrected .
Why would anyone want decking that holds water? Trex customer service is not very professional. What happened to customer
satisfaction.
I have been on other decks with Trex and they did not retain water. I have not given up on this and am willing to join

any lawsuit that is open to this.

I think its funny how it took weeks to get our first order which was the wrong color and only a few days to get the correct color.

Kinda fishy if you ask me. .... I feel like we got rejects because of the poor quality.

We are working with our contractor and he is considering filing a lawsuit, if not we would love to join one on Trex.

Would love any help anyone can give me.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Like so many others on this site, I have defective Trex decking installed. The boards started flaking after 5 years and there is a class action lawsuit covering this issue. As part of the lawsuit, Trex agreed to replace the boards with new ones and cover a minuscule amount of the work to do so. By minuscule I mean less than 2% of the actual labor cost. They won't even pay the few hundred dollars to dispose of their defective garbage. Don't be fooled by the warranty they offer, especially when so many people have issues with Trex products. You'll still be paying big dollars out of pocket even if they agree to replace your boards.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

We expected professional service and quality product. We got was the EXACT opposite; a product that has fallen apart and "decomposed". The service has been insulting at best. We are left with a deck that has brought the value of our home down. A good company would contact me and make this right by replacing and installing the faulty boards.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Customer purchased a Large Trex Decking package in 2007. The flaking started in 2011 and the clients attempted to file a claim that same year. Never received a callback regarding an inspection or a claim #, after several calls. As the lumber retailer, we tried to "fast track" the claim process and supplied the replacement boards needed to correct the flaking deck boards. They refuse to reimburse the client or the retailer and said that they didn't follow their "claim process". Over the years we have provided free delivery service for many defective Trex claims for the consumers of Trex products. If they have a way to avoid a claim they will simply say no.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Had our porch installed 5 years ago and spent a bundle on what we thought was quality material that would stand up to time. Trex advertises their material with a 25 year warranty. Yet after only five years, the Trex material is warping and pulling away from the pressure treated wood. FIVE YEARS! Home Depot plywood would have lasted longer than five years. Upon calling Trex and submitting a warranty claim to have the material covered, Trex completely washed their hands of any responsibility and emailed some generic letter that it was installed improperly. Trex refuses to stand by its warranty and will find any excuse possible to not replace their product. I will never purchase a Trex product again and would advise anyone considering it the same.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

We purposely used Trex for our railing system for low maintenance! That was a huge mistake! The whole railing systems has faded tremendously, is flaking and stains terribly. I have attached two pictures to verify the defective product. We spend more time maintaining the rails than we do the rest of the deck and house! Extremely disappointed in TREX and would never recommend it to anyone! Trex does not Stand behind their product! I am also disappointed in the Big Box store that sells it...they do not stand behind their product either!

Original review: June 28, 2018

Recently purchased from Home Depot Trex decking for a 16X18 deck. Had installed by licensed builder. One day after the deck was installed we rinsed off due to dirt left from builder and birds. After the water dried the deck looked like it was sunburned and peeled. However no flakes. Just spots all over. Talked with Home Depot. They talked to Trex Representative and bottom line was: file a warranty claim.

Call 1-800-Buy Trex to have assistance on filing claim and I was informed that it wasn't a claim. I had hard water residue? Nothing on Trex advertisement states hard water will leave residue spots. I know several homeowners with Trex decking and well water (such as ours) and they have never had spots. So Trex's rep. said I could clean off with wood cleaner using inside soft water and blow dry with a leaf blower? We are in our 70's - the whole point of purchasing Trex at a double price of wood was to make it easier than staining and power washing. No consideration to sending out a representative to help us. Not the kind of customer service I would of ever thought a big name product would do. What recourse does the average worker have against a company the size of Trex.

Original review: June 20, 2018

There are so many issues with the rails. The first is that the strip when you raise it up into place actually scratches the balusters. We ended up having to use lubricant to avoid it from scratching and when we contacted the Trex company about this they said they would send us markers to fix it, otherwise we can buy a special touch-up that they sell for when you scratch the balusters. This is pretty absurd seeing as how we had a 75ft x 30ft deck and you can guess just how many balusters we had. This was the least of the issues because once we started installing the rails for the stairs we ran into bigger issues. The angles that they claim work for the stairs actually don’t. It says it works at 37 degrees. It doesn’t.

We ended up having to file the opening on the strips to allow the strips to go up into place, with a lot of lubrication that is needed even on the regular rails. This wasn’t after multiple trials to see what we had done wrong only to realize it was an issue with Trex. When we contacted them for help they refused to do anything about it and when we provided them the pictures they asked for they simply said “it seems likes it’s too steep, if you had done a proper angle it would work.” Mind you I’ve been doing this for almost 20 years and have worked with this material too many times. Always small issues but this was what did me in. The biggest mistake I made was buying their material and allowing them to make money off this awful product.

Original review: May 30, 2018

In 2000 we had Trex decking installed. 6 years later it had totally disintegrated, flaking, faded and warped. We had to pay the labor, as per warranty, to have it replaced with more Trex decking and this time we went with a Trex rail system also, as we were tired of painting all the posts. By 2016, another 8 years later, all the rail and decking was disintegrating AGAIN! In 2017 we started another claim with Trex, and this time, our second time, they will not even cover 1/3 the cost of the materials and only .18 cents per foot for labor, and that is only because of the class action suit of 2009. The 20 year warranty is an absolute joke! You have to fight with them even for replacement materials. Trex is highly unethical, deceitful, unfair, and dishonest. If anyone is interested in another class action suit against them, please contact me.

Original review: May 26, 2018

We purchased and had installed an 8x20 foot deck. The deck has been great until today. We have water seeping into our house where the deck meets the house. When I went to drill a hole in my dry deck to do some work on it the deck started gushing water on to the deck below. It seems that Trex holds water and that has caused the drywall and joists to rot. Has anyone else had a problem with Trex holding water like that?

Original review: April 16, 2018

We live in a new community of high end townhomes. When we purchased the new construction home we had the developer add a 14 X 20 Trex composite deck on the home which has now become the standard in the community. After less than one year the Fascia Boards were warping, not only on our home but on all the homes that had a Trex deck installed. For the most part, Trex was not responsive to the builder/developer's requests for assistance from Trex. Finally, after a year to 18 months a Trex representative came to assess the problem and for the most part shook his head and said, "Too bad", offering no solution. Shame on Trex for not standing behind their product. There are now other composite deck material providers that may very well provide better products and service. At a minimum, do NOT use their Fascia Boards.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Had a new manufactured home put in and a large 50'x8' Trex deck put in with a 8' side trim. Looked alright the first year. Then the side trim Trex boards have started to warp. Bow in and out and the ends where they meet have bowed outward pulling the screws with them. Makes for a very unprofessional end product after only a year. I will admit the flat Trex boards are still laying flat and not warping, and they did clean of (moss) with the iron sulfate spray. Needed to let other know what may happen if you go the Trex route.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Moving to an adult community, we decided to replace the wood deck with Trex, as their ads touted 'easy care', 'low maintenance'. It looked beautiful! Just a few months after installation, mold started to appear. Black spots and streaks, brown blobs & green junk that would NOT scrub off. We contacted Trex, got the runaround. It seems some kind of mildew retardant wasn't added to 'our lot' at manufacture, so they admitted it was crap. They even sent a company out to clean the deck, which didn't do anything, and killed all my flowers.

We ended up joining a class action suit, signed some papers (along with tons of others), assuming we'd get satisfaction, but they'd inserted some legalese in the forms to cover themselves, and we got a check for $100. - on a $4,000 purchase! The deck looks disgusting, I worry about the dog carrying in black mold, and we avoid eating on the deck. We'll be out there again this week scrubbing on our hands and knees trying to improve it a bit, but it won't last. At 70 years old! FALSE ADVERTISING. GARBAGE PRODUCT!!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

We wanted to put in a composite deck to replace our cement patio. I did lots of research 13 years ago and picked Trex as the best with warranty etc. The deck was installed and it was beautiful with no problems. Unfortunately after several years (year 8+) - the problems evolved - Shrinkage - more than a 1/2" - every year I had to relocate the board so that they meshed and were connected to the hidden fasteners. One time I didn't get it correct so the board cracked off end and board was no longer connected to fastener on one end and if you stepped on it, it sunk in. The boards also came apart on seats, the 1.5" gap became 2.5" on one end and 1.5 on other so tearing apart.

Warpage - I can only describe it as bubbles, the boards were fastened horizontally on side of seats and side of deck and they warped so much that I could not fastened them to sides without the warpage. It was like a bubble, I tried clamping and screwing, using rubber mallet and pounding prior to rescrewing with no good results, the board cracked.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We had two decks built using Trex, and I wish we had chosen any other material. Their advertising is very misleading, it is not "low maintenance" by any stretch. We spend more time and money on it than we would if it were wood. Algae and dark spots (mold?) are constant problems. We follow the manufacturer's cleaning recommendation, and the algae and spots return in month or two. My advice is avoid this product, even if it's offered to you for free.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Trex refuses to honor their warranty. Buyer Beware if you intend to buy their product. They will invent anything to get out of a warranty claim. I bought over $3,000 of Trex Enhance Deck boards in July 2017, and had them installed on my deck. My deck crew used hidden fasteners which are a feature of these boards. They secure down the boards from the side, by using clips in the side grooves. Following installation, the boards looked fine. I was a satisfied customer.

To my dismay, however, by winter, the 16 ft. boards had abnormally shrunk from the cold over 1/2 inch. In so doing, they pulled away from the hidden fasteners holding one of the edges, and actually began warping upwards. It looked terrible and was actually dangerous to walk across, since you could trip on the edge of the boards. It is a fixable problem with a little extra labor, by re-positioning the boards, but that labor would have to be done.

I called both my deck installer and board retailer, showed them photos, and both companies said that level of excess shrinkage is abnormal. I then called Trex to submit a warranty claim, sent them photos, etc. I was asking not for replacement of the boards, but only for $300 or so to cover the cost of a repair laborer coming out to re-position the shrunk boards on my deck. Their reply was bogus. They automatically denied my claim. First, they said the board ends had to be manually screwed down with visible screws to prevent that shrinkage, and claimed such an instruction was in the installation manual. My deck crew said that was a lie, and when we checked, there was no such instruction. When I confronted them, Trex changed the story and said that "shrinkage" is not covered by the warranty. When we checked their warranty, that was a 2nd lie. There is no such exclusion.

Then, they denied my claim a 3rd time, claiming this time that my crew had installed the hidden fasteners "wrong". I demanded they show me in writing anywhere, how our installation was not proper. They were not able to do so, yet still held to a denial of my claim. They purposely ignored the reason for the claim (abnormal shrinkage). In short, they had no intention of honoring any warranty claims, and they took a perfectly satisfied customer and screwed me over with every attempt possible to deny what both my deck crew, and my supplier rep said, is clearly a defective product.

If I were you, I would not ever buy product from this company... period. There are lots of other composite deck board brands out there, ones who recognize that sometimes, their products are defective and need warranty service. Any company who denies such claims based on fake bogus lies, is proving to you how little they think of you, and is not worth your business!

Original review: July 18, 2017

I have tried to get a reasonable response from a representative for Trex decking material. Due to the Class Action Claim I am being provided Trex Select Saddle standard square material. It is obvious that Trex is clearing its inventory of unwanted material and shipping directly to the Claimant without adequate compensation for reputable material, i.e. Pre-Grooved decking material. My contacts have been a BrightClaims rep and a low ranking Trex rep, both who have only given a curt reply to a responsible request. I have asked continually to be shipped pre-grooved Trex decking boards. The response has been that they are not shipping the pre-grooved material.

The retail stores and contractors I have been in contact with are astonished that Trex is not providing the pre-grooved boards, which cost the same amount but are more attractive and practical. Their comments only amplify my disappointment. Being a Trex consumer initially and realizing the material is defective and having to remove, install, and discard the material at my own cost is an insult. Increasing the insult is the inane response I receive from a Bright Claim and Trex representative.

Original review: June 8, 2017

In May, 2015 we hired a professional contractor to build an large deck on our home. We spent approximately $4000 on Trex Trending Tiki Torch decking. We chose Trex because of the reviews and easy care. Two years later the boards expand & contract unequally. A few extend 1/4" above the deck surface causing a high risk of tripping and injury. One trim board has an exposed bubble which can't be corrected. Be careful what you purchase and read reviews.

Trex Composite Decking Company Information