1.49/5
  • 1 star
Based on 68 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: July 18, 2017

71 Trex Composite Decking Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: July 18, 2017

I have tried to get a reasonable response from a representative for Trex decking material. Due to the Class Action Claim I am being provided Trex Select Saddle standard square material. It is obvious that Trex is clearing its inventory of unwanted material and shipping directly to the Claimant without adequate compensation for reputable material, i.e. Pre-Grooved decking material. My contacts have been a BrightClaims rep and a low ranking Trex rep, both who have only given a curt reply to a responsible request. I have asked continually to be shipped pre-grooved Trex decking boards. The response has been that they are not shipping the pre-grooved material.

The retail stores and contractors I have been in contact with are astonished that Trex is not providing the pre-grooved boards, which cost the same amount but are more attractive and practical. Their comments only amplify my disappointment. Being a Trex consumer initially and realizing the material is defective and having to remove, install, and discard the material at my own cost is an insult. Increasing the insult is the inane response I receive from a Bright Claim and Trex representative.

Original review: June 8, 2017

In May, 2015 we hired a professional contractor to build an large deck on our home. We spent approximately $4000 on Trex Trending Tiki Torch decking. We chose Trex because of the reviews and easy care. Two years later the boards expand & contract unequally. A few extend 1/4" above the deck surface causing a high risk of tripping and injury. One trim board has an exposed bubble which can't be corrected. Be careful what you purchase and read reviews.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 18, 2017

We have a Trex patio. The boards are cracking and peeling. Been doing that for the last 3 or 4 years so I just noticed three or four boards more peeling. It's faded. It's no longer the brown we bought. It looks horrible. I know it's supposed to be a lifetime warranty so what can we do about it. It's ugly slippers in my foot. When I walk on it I have to cover it with rugs so we don't see how ugly it is. I just want to know what we can do.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I had Trex decking installed on all outdoor decks, stairs and patios. Regardless of all the effort (scrubbing, pressure washing, exotic cleaners, and lots of muscle power) my deck remains moldy. Nothing works to clean it. I am sad, mad, and disappointed.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Warping, flaking, discoloration, absolutely a mess!!! I thought this would be the answer to all the labor a wood deck required... was I ever wrong!!! More trouble than if I had put in a wood deck I am going to use a weather resistant stain on it like I would have done with a regular deck! See if that helps. Will that mess with the warranty, who cares... the warranty is useless. Like they will cover it!!! Not worth the extra money! Why this company is still in business is beyond me! Obviously they have no repeat customers!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?

Original review: May 3, 2017

In 2003, a Trex deck was constructed in the front of our home by a contract builder. The cost was sizable. The Trex decking product was not only defective, it's a true lemon. The product was and is moldy, faulty, flawed, flaking and unsound. Some of the decking areas are unsafe. Trex concurred they made a defective product for 7 years. Our Trex was part of that flawed and defective decking. In 2014 we wrote to Trex and again in 2015. A representative came out. She said it was the worst defect she had seen so far. We were given a check in the amount of $915.67. We now understand we were taken advantage of. What needs and should happen is that Trex needs to stand behind their product, come out and completely replace the deck. We will be glad to give back the $915.67. I would be glad to show anyone this deck. Thank you.

Original review: April 27, 2017

The house we purchased 8 years ago had TREX decking on the front and back. Several years ago we noticed it was starting to peel and crack. Found out it was caused by a defective product and there was a class action suit. Contacted TREX and discovered their customer service is as defective as the product. Waited extended period of time for TREX representative to confirm the material was defective and to put in a replacement order. Received confirmation letter that also informed me that the matching railings were no longer available. Also told there would be no reimbursement for labor cost to remove and replace the decking. It's costing me $3,500 to do that. Then I get a letter saying it would be three to four weeks for my material to be delivered once I contacted the shipping company.

Another lie, the delivery time is out three MONTHS. If TREX wanted to do the right thing, they would use more than one small shipping company. Just another ploy so they don't have to provide the replacement materials. If you are in the market to purchase a house and it has TREX products, refuse to purchase the house. If you own a home and want to build a deck, don't buy a TREX product. The company has a bad product and bad customer service. They shouldn't be in business.

Original review: March 31, 2017

In 2007 we had our deck built by professional contractor to code using Trex origin color saddle. The boards faded badly and then a piece of ice fell from the roof and broke 4 boards totally through. Now we cannot get replacement by boards and they are out of warranty. What do we do? Remove and replace the entire deck?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

I had my deck built off the ground so moisture would not be the problem, but after a year water puddled in areas and the entire deck exposed to the sun faded. I called the place my contractor bought decking from. They hummed around and finally replaced the fading area. But in 1 year it faded again!!! Now I want someone to come and redo the deck with another color or return my money. IS ANYONE know how we can get a class act suit? Because my deck was built in 2014.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

Although I have not yet had issues with mold, I can see how this could happen. First off, the deck boards have a slightly concave profile, which cups water, morning dew, etc. Had the engineers at Trex made the boards with a slight rise in the center of the board. The water would run off rather than sit there half the day waiting for the sun to burn it off. As the boards cannot absorb any water, the deck is always wet. My wife and I have always enjoyed having our morning coffee on the deck. Now I have to run over it with a squeegee every morning to avoid getting wet feet (Something I never had to do with our old PT wood deck). The same thing can be said for the railing, the top profile is dead flat. (A slight rise in the center would have cut the drying time exponentially). The longer something stays wet, the greater the chance mold will form, especially where lack sun exposure is an issue.

As for quality control, Trex leaves a lot to be desired. While planning my new deck I tried to ensure a minimum amount of waste, hence most sections were built to match the size of boards available. While changing direction of the boards, I noticed the ends were not lining up properly. After checking them I was quite upset to find out that nearly every board was cut off square. Having to re-cut every board to correct this was time consuming as well as annoying. (Considering this is a manufactured product, and how much I paid for it, the least they could have done is cut the ends square).

As for the railings, I have no idea how they pass building code anywhere. When installing the bottom railing, I was completely floored to find out the ends were supported by a screw from the top down giving a whole new meaning to hanging by a thread. I built the first section with a 5' span with a center support and then stepped on the bottom rail. As suspected the screws just pulled right through. Very unsafe as my deck is about 10' off the ground. (What engineer designed this!) Needless to say, I purchased additional brackets and supported the rest of the railing from below as it should have been in the first place. I am hoping someone from the Trex company reads this review and addresses these issues. This could be a far better product and have more satisfied customers by making a few changes and keeping a closer eye on quality control.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

Purchased and installed Trex Accent in Fall, 2012 and it began spotting terribly in 2013. Cleaned as directed on Trex's website, and within 2 months it began spotting again. Contacted Trex and completed their lengthy claim form. Claim was denied stating there is no manufacturing defect. The mold and/or mildew are not covered. I have other decking materials on my home and none have ever 'spotted' as TREX does. Completely dissatisfied with this product and disappointed that I believed all the 'low maintenance' hype.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2016

We bought a home 10 years ago and the Trex deck that were installed are now faded moldy and warped. We have tried everything to get them repaired and cleaned without any success. We also consulted with a contractor who was very knowledgeable about Trex composite decking. He informed us that the or type of Trex that was installed in our yard when bought our home has been discontinued. He has been replacing decks similar to ours due to molding, warping and basically disintegrating due to wear and tear. He also mentioned that when Trex decking similar to our are installed too close to ground often get moldy crack and chip. We need help on getting sometime of reimbursement. It will cost at least 15 thousand to replace our deck and the cost does that include removal. Let's get class action suit filed since we have missed the first one that was filed.

Original review: July 22, 2016

Trex decking looks awful after only 5 yrs. Why isn't everyone heading toward Federal Court? This appears malicious and it isn't stopping. We have the same problem everyone here has. It's pores and faded. When you use the power washer it still looks spotty and the deck almost appears like an ugly sponge. It was suppose to look like stained wood, so that's where we are going for. Cosmetics and the appearance and value of our home they have taken. It's almost 30,000.00 we will be tackling with them. CALL LAWYERS, do not let them ignore any of this. Get a group to go to the gov.

Original review: July 2, 2016

I put new Trex Composite Decking on new house build deck in 2010. This June of 2016 I added onto my original existing deck. When I went to buy additional Trex decking for the addition I found out that what I have is discontinued. After some research I discovered there was a class action lawsuit on this particular decking for flaking and decomposing. The Class Action lawsuit had a "claim window" of December 2012 to May of 2013 (6 months). If you did not file a claim within that window you are out of luck. So I now have a new addition on my deck which I cannot purchase matching product. My only option is to replace the entire old decking at a cost of $8,132 (original deck is 950 sq. ft. deck X $8 sq. ft. plus sales tax).

This does not include the cost to remove the old decking or lay the new decking down where the old, discontinued decking is/was. The net cost to replace the 6-year-old Trex Composite Decking (material cost, tax, labor) is estimated at $12,300. These figures do not include my new addition, only the existing Trex decking... which is no longer available. Very disappointing. Last note: I have gone to 3 different lumber companies looking for new decking. All 3 of those yard carry the Trex product. Within those 3 yards Trex is the most decking. I found it very interesting that all 3 representatives at each location suggested I do not go with Trex (unsolicited). They all said it is overpriced, poor quality and has the most claims of any of their other decking brands.

Original review: June 26, 2016

We bought Trex in 2003 and built a deck. The main reason we bought Trex was because of the warranty. Within 10 years of building it, it began to warp, looking like weather had hurt it. We immediately contacted Trex. It took quite a while for their representative to come look at it. He claimed only a very few boards were an issue and offered to give us a very small monetary amount to replace them. By then, Trex no longer made that color anymore and it would have looked ridiculous, not matching. What a joke of a warranty. Don't believe their warranty. Don't buy Trex!

Original review: June 9, 2016

We purchased Trex for our front porch when the deck redone $7000 and some change later - mainly for the lack of maint since my husband is a disabled veteran and we need to cut down on the around the house work to what I can handle on my own. By the beginning of May in Northern CA it's really difficult to walk on it in your bare feet on. By July it's shoes only. You can end up with blisters if you step on a direct sun area. I cannot let my dogs out on it at all. After @ 6 yrs it's starting to lose the grain pattern and your hands get dusty when you touch the deck rails.

We were not warned about the heat problem - or that it is worse for the darker colors of decking. My only option is to cover it with indoor/outdoor carpeting. Which then creates mold after it rains. We purchased it so I would not need to worry about the deck for @20 years according to the contractor - I may need to have it replaced because it's just too hot in the summer and the potential for injury to a small child or pet is pretty high.

Original review: June 2, 2016

We have just had our deck finished with gravel path for the outside of the deck called picture frame, and saddle for the spine and middle of deck. We bought it from Home Depot, and we used the Pro Desk lady, Liz. She was very helpful in the designing of our deck. We had the deck installed by a professional installer, no complaints there. The deck looks great, my only complaint is I have doggy paw prints all over the deck and I can't get them off. I was told to use dish soap and scrub them and then rinse off. I did it but they are still there... now contacting TREX. I have read the other reviews about mold and warping, but no stains?

Resolution response: May 17, 2017

I found that the material is made by Tamko, not Trex, Trex did reply to me after I learned the builder did not use Trex. The deck is still failing and Tamko has accepted my claim, but only offered a fraction of the cost to replace the decking and rail system that is crumbling. So Trex gets 5 star, Tamko gets 1 star for failing to replace/warranty the materials that need replacing.

Original review: June 1, 2016

My first deck in Ramona Ca. is perfect ware and no fade. No mold, great stuff. Then we bought a house with an 80 ft. deck that was built as new const. about 8 yrs. ago and the 2X2 vertical posts are decomposing into flakey crumbly faded material. The 2x6 planks are not as bad, but they show decay as well. I thought this stuff was like the stuff I had in my other house. The general contractor that built this house is going to get a call from me asap. There better be a solution to this because this deck is elevated and long and part of the house structure. Not a pop out on grade. It's a 10ft. elevated deck. I am looking into the class action claims now.

Original review: May 24, 2016

Don't buy Trex. It's been a nightmare for us. Although it gets full sun for most of the day, the mold issue is horrible and requires cleaning so often it's excessive. The only product I have found that removes the mold is Kaboom mold and mildew cleaner. You need to soak the deck with it and let it sit for a while then hose it off. It looks great temporarily, but the mold returns after only a few weeks. Trex customer service has not been helpful at all. Our deck is only 2 years old. We are so disappointed.

Original review: April 25, 2016

I have TREX Decking on my deck and on the steps going to my house and steps going to the dock. One fifth of the steps are crumbling like sawdust (Not every step and some of the lower deck). The crumbling Trex looks somewhat precarious. It has been this way for the last 8 years. The first couple years it looked fine - but then it started to crumble and now it looks terrible. My children have been confronting me to do something about it. I have talked with Sliters in Bigfork, MT where we bought it. They suggested I go to Trex Decking...

Original review: April 10, 2016

After having a house fire in 2006 my husband decided he wanted to redo our porch with Trex. We purchase it on 9/12/08 at Home Depot after we did some research and read that it had a 25 year guarantee. That it would not fade, mold, warp, chip and so on. $3087.13 later our porch was done and 4 years later mold. And my porch looked a little lighter in color. It's now almost 8 years. My porch is almost white. The mold is horrible. I tried to contact company and I got a recording and found out there was a class action lawsuit regarding this and case was closed in 2014. We were never notified about this from anyone.

Resolution response: March 24, 2016

Trex support handled our situation in a very professional manner. We did speak to an attorney and were preparing an action as a result of the original decline to our claim. After reviewing the report prepared for them - we were able to correct a pretty glaring error by the Company doing the diagnostics (a downspout had been removed in order to address a structural issue, and had been replaced shortly after their inspection). The error appeared to point to a water issues of improper drainage, but we were able to provide pictures of the before and after to show that there was not a drainage issue, and the matter was quickly resolved to our satisfaction.

The one piece of advice I would give to anyone in our situation, pay close attention to the details, have your own decking and engineers come in and do an independent review- (cost of a couple hundred dollars) and then you can make your assessments based on good information.

If/when you are declined when you submit your claim, make sure you inquire as to the reason and ask to see the report they based their decision on- in our case we were able to stay on top of the details and work towards an acceptable solution. Most importantly stay patient and work with their people, they are very good and in many cases working with limited information- provide as much documentation as you can to resolve the issue without resorting to hiring counsel. Good luck to you!

Original review: March 18, 2016

I wanted to post a note regarding our installation and subsequent warranty filing. The product was installed in 06-07 on a new construction home wrap around deck. Over a couple of years the boards swelled and eventually came together creating large amounts of pooling on the deck - at the wrap around corner - it's actually pushed the banding out creating gaps in the railing system that will need to be addressed. After having my own engineer and installer inspect the deck, we went ahead and filed a warranty claim. It took a couple of months and several letters back and forth but Trex has now agreed to replace the product. We did ultimately request a copy of the report from which our claim was originally denied - there were a couple of discrepancies in the report which we were able to clarify for them.

I have had several conversations with Mrs ** - the warranty representative - and she has always presented herself in an empathetic and professional manner. We have all our documentation from the original installation along with letters and receipts from the installer. The installer was included in much of the communication and we forwarded his responses to the assessments from Trex so they could have additional input on the decision process. While we have yet to receive the replacement materials we were satisfied with the process and we're looking forward to moving on. We built a second deck with the Trex Transcend last year and will continue to use their products on our future decks.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2016

We replaced 3 large, second story, decks with Trex Transcend decking. Living on the top of a hill that sees forever, we get wind. We were warned by our master carpenter that a previous client had experienced significant whistling from the wind blowing like a trumpet, through the hidden deck fasteners. Somehow he installed the fasteners so we don't experience the whistle. But, what we did experience is 4, 20" potted tomato plants & our grill blown completely off the deck. The heavy cast aluminum patio table with 8 chairs were slammed into the house. Luckily they hit the siding rather than the windows, which would have broken out. Now we are terrified when we go out of town & have to pull everything to touching the side of the house in hopes of less damage as it readily blows across the slick Transcends Trex. One more reason to NOT put in Trex.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

I installed 900 sq ft of "best" Trex decking in my backyard in 2005. It rains during winter in the Pacific Northwest here. First winter, the planks warped into U-shape and hold water in poodles on its surface. It also sags between traces as much as half an inch.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

Trex Spice Rum decking - Bought/installed Trex on 3 porches. Product looked 'cloudy', not at all like photos. Think we made a big mistake. Very dissatisfied/disappointed in customer service response.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

I had my deck built in 1997. So, 18 years later and my Trex looks like it did when it was new. The only problem I've had is it's slippery when it gets frost on it. I fell down the steps one morning.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

Bought a new home in 2004 that had a 700 sq ft of Trex decking that surrounded half the house. After two years the decking was flaking and fading even in the mild climate of central coast California. I went on the Trex website and they said the Trex material can be painted. I use the recommended Behr paint for decks. Looked great for another two years then the paint began to peel. The flaking Trex underneath the paint continues to deteriorate causing the paint to lift off in big chips. See photo. What a horrible product and what a horrible company. I don't have paperwork, receipts, or any of the so called evidence that Trex demands so it's a waste of time and effort to try and file a claim regarding the class action suit against them. I don't see how this company stays in business.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

Bought the product in 2012 and some boards are deteriorating and some aren't. I had to replace 3 of my steps due to it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

We built our house in 2003-2004. We installed the Trex decking on a front, elevated, screened in porch approx.. 10 x 48 ft. The first thing we noticed was how soft the material was and how easily it scratched and dented if you dropped something on it or moved furniture. Next came the mold issue. Every time it rained or we had any extended time of dampness, there were areas that turned almost black. Then it faded. Even though almost the entire porch is under roof, it had faded.

The one small landing outside the enclosure stays moldy. I have to pressure wash it several times a year to clean it. I had a cat that lived on this deck for several years. While I expected some wear and tear on the deck, I didn't expect the stains. No matter what you try to clean it with, stains do not come out. We have not had any warping issues or any areas that are disintegrating. Since we installed it ourselves and have pressure washed it several times, I'm sure the warranty was voided long ago.

We are in the process of building an additional deck on the back of the house and plan on using composite decking again. We would not use a Trex product again. Although, most of the composite decking seems to have changed, I don't trust Trex because of all the issues I've read and their apparent lack of response and warranty honoring. We'll take a chance with another brand.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

Deck was installed 3 years ago and the black mold just keeps re-appearing. I cannot find any products to dissolve this mold. I am concerned it is coming from the inside of the product.

Trex Composite Decking Company Information