2.49/5
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

171 Toro Lawn Mowers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Toro Model 20334 190cc 22" self propelled lawn mower. Engine is good. Starts easily but self propelled drive is terrible!! Plastic gears do not hold up. With the number of times that I have had it in the shop I could have purchased a new mower. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My Toro Z-Master is a commercial grade mower. I mow 5 acres. I have had the mower for 12 years and have done minimal maintenance on the mower over this time. The mower still mows like a new mower.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We have a big lawn so this mower has cut the time it takes to mow. But with the bagger on, it is difficult to get the grass clippings cleaned out - that needs to be changed. We have had minor issues but we were able to deal with them.

Original review: July 24, 2018

We bought a new 190cc Briggs & Stratton Engine # 13 0424 5619162 in 2014. It overheats and turns off every time we mow. My husband keeps the maintenance up on it. I told him today to get rid of it and buy a different brand. It is a bad lawn mower. My son has one and it does the same thing. It’s sad to be elderly and on a budget and now we have to buy another lawn mower. We don’t have a big yard. My husband is too old to spend this kind of time on a small yard just because the lawn mower overheats then you have to wait for the mower to cool down. We will never buy any of their products again.

Original review: July 24, 2018

The quality of the mower is visibly notable. However, the precision cut that it delivers is its true strength. Quality mower (my experience with all Toros).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toro?

Original review: July 23, 2018

The only problem encountered is with one of the rear tires being unable to hold air. I have taken it back to a dealer 4 times for relief on this problem and have as of yet not found a way to get this tire to hold air.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I bought a new Toro Time Cutter SS4225 from Bryant's Tractor in Renton Wash and this is a one heck of a great mower. Well worth the money and I would buy it again.

Original review: July 20, 2018

32” zero turn mower is great for tight areas. Mows at a great speed. Cut yard time in half. Hills can be a challenge until you become familiar with the ride.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I really liked my 0 turn, made cutting the grass a lot easier and faster. The model I had was a 4225. I think that the rear tires should have been wider so as sure as the weight of this mower out. After a few years on particular parts of my lawn you could see tire imprints. And before I'm criticized and people say well you shouldn't be driving over the exact same spot time in and time out. And in some areas it only makes sense to use the same path every time. When you're cutting next to a driveway or a flower bed you don't want to throw clippings on or in the flower bed or on the concrete so you basically go the same direction and path every time.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I purchased the 30" Toro Personal Pace mower on 4/17/15 and have had nothing but trouble with it. I like to push mow and thought a 30' mower would be great at the time. When this mower isn't broke down I really like it, but the problem is I can't keep it out of the shop. In the first 3 years it was taken into the shop 3 times to have the pulley that times the blades replaced. Each time the replacement pulleys were replaced the company sent the same cheaply made pulleys to replace them with. Each time the pulley breaks it bends the blades which have to be replaced also. The warranty did take care of this but I had to drive a 60 mile round trip to get it fixed and pay to have my yard mowed while in the shop.

Now a month after the warranty has ran out it's back in the shop for a blown head gasket and coil. I was told by the customer service person that they would take care of the parts that came to $183 but that has not happened. I was told that a supervisor would call me but again that didn't happen either. The customer service is as bad as the product that they sell. I personally would not recommend any Toro machine to anyone for the reasons mentioned.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I have two, the older one is turn the key and go, as for the newer one, my front yard is about 8 feet above the road, and is grass off to the side. It doesn't steer a straight line across from side to side, going up the hill is not a problem, driving down the hill, I normally have skid marks at the bottom; the hills are a challenge.

Original review: June 25, 2018

The word guaranteed to start is a joke. After 1 year, I was having carburetor problems. Then the gas tank ruptured. The fuel line always is getting clogged. That's just the first year. Home Depot then told me 6 weeks to repair and Toro never responded to my emails or calls. Maintain each year, I've had to repair each year. This is my 3rd or 4th year and it's not working again after having just repaired it a month ago. It just sputters and stalls. Adjusting the idle doesn't seem to matter. Toro lawn mowers suck. Also, I am not a big complainer. It takes a lot for me to do this. It's sold in Home Depot and is 6.75 h.p and 149cc. CHANGE THE WORDING GUARANTEED TO START. YOU DIDN'T EVEN RETURN MY CALLS.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I recently purchased a 48" Toro zero turn riding mower model #75211 with "My ride" feature. The my ride feature is a total waste of money. I traded in a 50" Toro for the my ride feature, it is a total waste of money. The ride is actually worst (harder) than my old mower and the optional mulch kit is another waste of money. It leaves clumps of grass, which my old mower did not do. Whatever they did do to this new model was waste of money and appears to be just a gimmick to bill the consumer out of additional money. Should of stayed with my old machine.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Model 20217 Recycler Toro Lawn Mower - Have had mower for 27 years, serviced every year, absolutely no problems ever. Started within 2-3 pulls first time. It died last week and is not worth fixing I am told. No problem. Reading your reviews on Toro mowers and most of them read BAD! Hard to believe based on my experience. Getting ready to buy new Toro and will let you know my review in a few weeks. I do know that what I have looked at so far is more plastic than metal. Do not like this.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Wish I had found this site before I purchased a new 50''cut Toro XP model mower. Right off the trailer thing wouldn't start {no manual choke hmm"}, when it did, I put it in gear and heard a loud knocking kind of scrapping sound, the deck rattled and squeaked once the blades were engaged. OK so it's not a Kubota or JD I thought. To the garage after one round of mowing, shut it off, tried to restart & the starter sounded as if it was dragging & grinding on the flywheel. Hmm, so I put it on the charger - if I have these same problems tomorrow this piece of junk is going back to Lowe's, this is the 2nd mower I bought in past 2 months with probs, 1st one was a Husqvarna, left streaks in the grass & the PTO sounded as if it was going explode any minute. Haha. Then the last day I mowed, it refused to start. I can't believe a mower with only 16 hrs on it would be falling apart, evidently these companies don't care to make total junk these days.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I needed a new self propelled mower. I remember growing up how well Toro mowers were made and how well they held up. Times have changed. I brought my BRAND NEW Toro mower home from my local home improvement store. I have a quarter of an acre yard to mow. Halfway through my initial mowing, the self propelled mechanism stopped working. I am not a lawn mower mechanic, nor should I have to become one on my FIRST use of a new mower. I took the mower back to my local store and was convinced to get another identical model and try it again. BIG MISTAKE.

On my second attempt, the mower cut off and wouldn't restart. Keep in mind my grass was no more than 2 inches high and the grass was dry. I wouldn't recommend another Toro product to my worst enemy, and I feel badly for the local home improvement store that bought a warehouse full of these mowers to sell. STAY AWAY FROM ANY MOWER WITH THE TORO NAME ON IT.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I purchased a new TORO 22 in Recycler Lawn Mower last May (less than a year ago). I used it less than 30 times before it was time to put it away for the winter. I followed every single step to empty and store it per the manual. I take great care of all my tools and equipment, after all a clean tool is a happy tool. I used the fuel it said to use and everything else it "recommends" you do for the longevity of the mower. Upon pulling it out of my garage a few weeks ago to start using it for the season it wouldn't start. It had a very loud backfire. I asked my neighbor who is a lifelong well rounded mechanic what the issue could be. He said it wasn't anything to do with fuel but the new "floating carburetor" system they are using these days to be "greener".

I contacted TORO as I am still under warranty. They sent me to an authorized dealer with my receipt for proof of warranty. When I dropped it off it was quickly looked at by the guy helping me. He said it was very clean and that fuel does not cause backfires in the engines. He then also sais that he needed to let us know that the ONLY thing not covered by the warranty was fuel related issues. I got a diagnostic call today and lo and behold. Guess what the issue is??? FUEL RELATED! Supposedly it blew my engine completely because of something to do with the fuel and it would need to be completely rebuilt. The cost to fix it was more than I paid for it brand new. Somehow I naively thought that they'd be honest and that TORO would honor their warranty and fix my less than 1 yr old mower.

Needless to say I said, "No thanks," and will be buying a HONDA mower from now on. I have been a TORO fan most of my life until now. I will never purchase their brand of anything again. I am extremely disappointed and disgusted in their machine and in their scam of a warranty. I can see by reading all of these reviews that I am not the only one with issues. HONDA here I come.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Purchased all wheel drive lawnmower and top of the line trimmer. Used no more than 10 times in less than a year. Trimmer will not start (only use MotoMix fuel) and lawnmower self propel doesn't work. Call customer service # get directed to service dealer that only works on Toro Lawn Mowers. Back to customer support for trimmer... After several minutes of trying to crack the code to speak with a rep I finally speak to a human to explain that their automated answer service leads me to incorrect service dealer. I get a response of contact Home Depot to get a refund. I ask for supervisor several more minutes. No supervisor available.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Granted my snow blower is about eighteen years old. I take good care of my equipment. My plastic gas tank cracked on its own due to variants of temperature while in storage. The tank was stored empty. I found out when I filled the tank with fresh fuel mixture. I have become frustrated by the lack of communication back from Toro's customer service. This is a fire hazard! As a veteran of the retail lawn and garden business. This is the worst company to deal with any concerns. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A FREE REPLACEMENT. My neighbor had the same problem with his unit two years prior.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Purchased a self-propelled Toro Lawnmower with Kohler engine from HomeDepot spring of 2017 used it 2x, it stopped working returned to HomeDepot. After jumping thru hoops they exchanged it for the same model, my mistake!!! The second mower worked 3x and stopped working, I hurt my back and couldn't move from Sept on, haven't contacted HomeDepot but expect nothing from them, seems that every review of this Toro results in the same outcome, a waste of 400 dollars. Wish me luck as I try to contact Toro.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I bought the Toro lawn mower paying a little more than normal because I believed Toro was a good brand (wrong). I bought it last year and used it twice - put it away for the winter and when I took it out for the first cut of the season it would not start even though I put fresh gas in it. It was going to cost more to have the repair shop fix it since it is only guaranteed for them to fix it for more money. I watched a video online and showed that the carburetor was probably bad. I bought a brand new one and had it replaced. The mower started on the second attempt. I put the mower away for a week and a half and when I took it back out it would not start again. I will NEVER buy a product made by TORO or Kohler.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Bought this Toro 22" Personal Pace lawnmower on August 9, 2017. Got home, took it out of the box, put it together. Read the manual with my 21 year old son, which instructed us to pour the entire contents of oil into oil reservoir. Add as needed. Well after each use, we washed the mower. Checked the fluids. And put the mower away in the garage. Fast forward six weeks and the engine died!!! We barely had to add gas, let alone oil!!! Yet after shipping it off to the repair center, they said it was our fault from not using oil! They said the oil levels were low!? I asked, “Well what happens to the oil when the mower shoots a rod?” The lady said, it drains out. But I'm not a technician, what do you want me to do. I said the mower is brand new! My grass barely covers half an acre!? This is crazy! I'll NEVER buy Toro again. I hope you read this before you make your decisions.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Toro Model 20374 - I purchased it on 4-25-16. It won't start. I replaced the fuse and the battery. Still won't start. The dealer wants $75.00 per hour to work on it. I paid $450.00 for it. I am not going to put any more money in this Lemon.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

1-year mower would not start. Repair shop for $50 - started once, then same problem. Call to Toro and to local dealer. Problem they say is that my fuel is over 30 days old. Don't remember that advice before the purchase. So be prepared to waste a lot of fuel or keep the engine running until you run out of fuel.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I typically don't write bad reviews but this Company deserves it. Not only is the customer service a disappointment but the product is a bigger disappointment. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING A TORO LAWN MOWER. So many people have rated this product one star. Apparently the company doesn't care. All for the same reason. The product lasts about one season before there is a problem with the mower. It is called the "Timemaster". It should be called the "waste of Timemaster". I spend more time trying to get it started rather than cutting the grass. Buy another product. Customer service is terrible as well as the product itself. It cost me a $1,000.00 for this lawn mower. I wish I could write off the loss so I could recoup some of the money I spent on this terrible product. I will never buy another Toro product.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I purchased a Toro mower with a Kohler engine from Home Depot and have had nothing but headaches with this dud. My experience has been the same as many others have stated in their reviews. Simply stated, this "guaranteed to start" mower does not start! I can only imagine the laughter in the marketing dept of Toro as they came up with the "guaranteed to start" moniker. Neither Toro nor Kohler will stand behind this useless product. The mower is poorly designed and engineered. The only guarantee that I can make, which I will stand behind, is that I will never purchase another Toro or Kohler product!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I bought a 400 dollar Toro and used it 4 times and it was trash. I had a feeling when I bought it that is was not gonna be a good product. Next time I will know better and hope this helps someone else. Toro mowers are junk.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I bought 22" self-propelled mower. The second time I used it, the self-propelled feature stopped working. The belt is partially exposed, but debris can easily become lodged in covered part which could cause a problem. I need to bring mower to repair shop.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Growing up I always used Toro mowers, Until now, I was mowing the yard and it just stopped. 14 months later. I empty the tank over the winter, I change the oil and it's stored inside. I purchased at Home Depot and I have to jump their hoops, then I will have to jump thru toro hoops.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Extremely disappointed in Toro these days. I bought a new 22" Toro 1 start in spring of 2016, used it maybe 3x, then had a severe medical issue so others mowed my lawn, then mowed 1 more time in late fall. Ran the gas out of the mower and stored in my shed. Spring 2016 - won't start after adding non-ethanol gas and Sta-Bil. Shop said I didn't run all of gas out of the mower! Bought another new Toro one start in June 2017, have used approximately 5x, and now it won't start! I have an older Toro - maybe 15 yrs old, and it runs like a charm but is not self-propelled. I think a class action lawsuit should be filed. Everyone is telling the same story here.

Toro expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Toro develops cutting edge riding mowers and has a 100-year history.

• 60-inch cutting deck: This broad cutting deck handles substantial lawn sizes of up to 6 acres.

• Lifetime guarantee: These riding mowers have a lifetime guarantee for industry-leading protection.

• Focus on durability: The parts used in the Toro riding mowers have a high-quality design with every step taken to increase durability.

• Adjustable floating suspension: The suspension smooths out a rough ride and creates a comfortable seat.

• Multiple speed ranges: Toro riding mowers offer multiple speeds for full control.

• Best for: Homeowners and commercial companies get a long-lasting riding mower from Toro.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Toro Lawn Mowers Company Information

Toro
www.toro.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business