Toro Lawn Mowers

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This mower was purchased in June 2012. It usually started on the second pull. Oil changed regularly; air filter changed annually; company/shop purchased from installed new plug. Had new blades installed and new plug on April 15 this year. Mower ran rough; if the engine was turned off would not restart for at least an hour. Soon it would stall when attempting to engage the blades. Mowing up a small incline the engine wanted to stall. Had to mow on the highest wheel setting as this "powerful" $1,000 lemon would choke otherwise.

Finally the mower failed to start (NOTE: went through 3 governor springs as well. A design flaw would not allow to mow slightly under a bush lest the exposed spring would break.) Brought the mower in for diagnosis and repair. Received a call from repair shop that I need a NEW ENGINE! COST IS $475 PLUS LABOR!! Had an intense conversation with the repair shop about the need for a new engine for a 5 year old mower that is meticulously cared for. Now the repair shop is a good solid shop that I believe is stuck between a rock and a deficient product. We worked out a workaround for the motor; however, the bottom line is this mower is a lemon, plain and simple. Toro... Never again!

My push mower (Toro Recycler 22in) isn't even a month old and it no longer works. I tried calling Toro and Stine and each blames the other. This is ridiculous! I'm never shopping at Stine again nor will I ever buy any Toro products.

Toro used to be a name associated with quality. When my Snapper died after 25 years, I decided to try a Toro. My mistake. It has been nothing but a pure disappointment. The front wheel drive slips on the grass and can barely move the unit, especially if there is even a slight incline. However, the biggest issue is the "Guaranteed to Start" sticker on the front. What a joke. If the mower remains dormant for more than a week, it will not start. I use high end gas, keep the mower clean and keep the mower indoors. If I skip a week mowing or at least starting it, the unit will not start. Today was the last straw. Got back from a nice 10 day vacation and the mower wont start. Instead of taking the time to clean the jets again, I am going to buy a new Snapper. You really do get what you pay for.

Called Toro today 1 day after using new lawn mower. Told to take to local authorized shop. Shop said bag is defective. Called back Toro after lifting and delivering mower to shop they advised. Only to hear that the lawn mower was bought two years ago and will not be covered. I told them that before they sent me to shop. I had shop verify lawn mower was brand new and verified bag is defective today and two years ago. Why tell someone to load and bring to your advised location to be denied, when the location you sent me to stated this is a toro defect. That order number is from local shop they advised to go to. Toro does not stand by its product

We purchased a Toro MX 5050 on 7/24/16 from Home Depot. Our first two issues was with the "Smart choke" technology. Because of so much starting problems with the choke issue, now we have starter issues. It will not crank. This will be the third or fourth time this mower has been to a mechanic within 12 months of purchase. Also, one of the sealed bearings on the mower deck is bad. We do not recommend this brand of mowers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toro?

Purchased the Toro 50" Zero-Turn Mower on July 27 2016, it ran fine in May of this year but in June would not start. Was told by authorized repair dealer that it needed a new carburetor, and Toro would not cover the repair cost. They are blaming the gas, I put fresh gas in it, and it's the same gas that my 18 year old mower is running on with no problem. I don't feel a carburetor should go bad in less than a year, and Toro should stand behind their product.

I purchased a 22 inch self propelled lawnmower in April of 2017. From the first day I got it I have had nothing but problems with it hesitating and quitting while cutting my grass. I have a small city lot and the grass does not get very long. It has been in the shop twice and both times I was assured it was repaired. Both times the same situation occurred. When I contacted Customer Service I was told to take it back for repair. I mentioned I wanted a different lawnmower and was advised Toro doesn't do that. After spending $400 on a piece of junk I would recommend NO ONE buy Toro as they don't stand behind what they sell. I was on the phone for at least a half hour with a manager who advised me they don't do any diagnosis over the phone. I was baffled by that comment and realized I was not going to get anywhere with them. Expensive lesson learned.

Deck continually jumps off bracket. No explanation from Toro. After remounting several times finally adjusted the bolt in the front of the deck to bring the deck forward. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

I have owned my current Toro for several years, but I had to replace the rear wheel on the right 2 times and once on the left. The left wheel again needs to be replaced and this is very frustrating besides being expensive. I had Toro mowers in the past and I have never had a problem. I have contacted Toro, but there has been no recall. I am not going to buy Toro products again.

I purchased the above referenced lawn mower (Timecutter SS5000 Zero Turn) in May 2016 from Home Depot. Thought I was getting a good lawn mower, but it has turned out to be a nightmare 1 year later. Just recently I have been having problems with the mower deck falling off. It falls off when you cut high grass. I filed a complaint, of course Toro wants to claim that the deck could only fall if I hit something with it. This is just their way to get out of honoring the warranty. I have truly found out how they appreciate their customers. The design on the zero turn lawn mowers is awful. The mower deck is held up by two open ended hooks, very bad design. But of course Toro's way to take care of their customers is to put the blame on the customer.

Well I have not hit anything with this mower. I am more careful with this mower than I am with my car. Very disheartening to find that when there is a design flaw, that Toro wants to put all the blame on the customer. Really makes me question every wanting to buy another Toro product. Not a good way to do business and definitely not a way to earn consumer confidence.

I tried getting help with an order that Toro made a mistake with. They refused to help me, blamed others for the mistake, were rude and argumentative, refused to let me speak to a supervisor, and hung up on me. Don't EVER give them your business.

I had a Toro self-propelled lawn mower that I bought in Brandon, Florida in 2005 and had it until I moved in June of 2016. This mower was excellent! I maintained it and NEVER had to have it serviced. If fact, it was still working great when I left Brandon, but I just decided to give it to my neighbor since she did not have one. Just about 1 week ago, I bought a 2017 Toro self-propelled lawn mower (model 20377) because I thought I would surely get another Great mower... How untrue this was! I am taking it back today - performance was TERRIBLE - won't buy another Toro.

Every year, at least once and sometimes twice, the drive belt falls off. Dealer fixed it the first time and put a claim into Toro. Great, but it tied up the machine for two weeks. So, I proceeded to re-install it myself. A pain, and because Toro paid the claim, it leads me to believe, this is an inherent problem. Fired it up this season and within 30 minutes, drive belt fell off again. Waiting to see what dealer says but if no related service bulletin and fix from Toro, they can keep their machine. Not the company and product quality they use to be.

I have a Toro Titan 5420 zero turn mower. This is the beginning of the fourth summer I've had it. During the previous three years it has been in the shop numerous times, not counting the times I repaired it myself, and none were covered by the warranty. The idler pulleys are plastic and are not very durable. The fuse block is exposed which allows trash to collect in it which will short out your entire wiring harness. It is now in the repair shop again. When it works it does a good job cutting the grass but it is not dependable. For almost $6000.00 I expected far more quality than I received. TORO - another four letter word for junk.

Purchased new Toro electric start, worst lawn mower ever. Won't start after running, have to use bungee cord to wrap around starting arm. Wheel fell off, leaves grass on lawn. Won't stay running on slightly inclined hill. Terrible gas economy.

I purchased this Toro lawn mower one year ago and it has been nothing but a major headache. The mower starts and when I shut it off to empty the bag, it doesn't start again for the next hour. I should be done mowing my lawn in 45 minutes instead it becomes a 2 hour project. Putting it at curbside tomorrow and purchase a product that actually works properly. This mower is worthless!!!

I bought a Toro 50" cut riding lawn mower in November 2016, it is now April 2017. This is absolutely the worst lawn mower I have ever owned. EVERY time I cut grass something has to be fixed. Last month the bearing in the steering column had to be fixed, it cost me $100.00 and took almost 3 weeks to get it back. It is still a major effort to steer. Now the blade won't stay engaged and the backup and cut option won't operate at all. I paid $3000.00 for a real piece of garbage.

I've had this model (Toro Recycler Smart Stow lawnmower) for 3.5 years, and have been dissatisfied with it after the first season. Followed all storage instructions, etc. Guaranteed to start?! Like my wife said, "It say's guaranteed to start, it doesn't say guaranteed to run!" No matter how clean or new the spark plug, it takes 10-15 pulls to start. This last time it just quit after starting up. Proper fuel, regular oil check and change, clean filters, fuel lines OK, etc., none of it matters. I do not recommend this Toro model.

Used my lawn mower twice and it just died. Went to return it to Home Depot as a piece of junk. Home Depot said, "You are a few days beyond our 30 day return limit so screw you." Don't buy Toro; don't shop at Home Depot.

In October 2016 I was mowing when the mower engine exploded. It flew shrapnel in several directions and spewed oil all over. I called Toro and was told to bring it to a dealer who would dismantle it and send in pictures on a warranty claim. It was purchased October of 2015 so I figured it would be covered. I was then told that Briggs & Stratton had denied the claim and said it was my fault due to lack of oil. I always had checked the oil every time I mowed because I knew this mower burned oil unlike the last Toro I had purchased in 2008 which still runs. It's disgraceful to deny claims like these and claim user error. I understand this engine has now been discontinued due to emissions. It's no wonder it has emissions problems as I know it burns oil excessively. Don't buy Toro products. Their warranties are worthless and they won't back their products.

Like most other users here, we had 2 Toro mowers over the years that were extremely dependable. We bought this 2 years ago to cut a half acre. It worked good the first few times last year, then broke down, so into the shop it went. This year it worked a few times and it froze. Back to the shop. The place that sold it, a small shop that works on and sells power equipment, had to order the part which took weeks for it to come in. End of summer, only a few more cuts and the cable broke today. We're ready to trash it due to extreme frustration. Don't buy this machine. It is under-engineered and a waste of good money.

I had my Toro SW5000 for only one season when one drive-transmission went out. It was fixed under warranty with no problem, however my main complaint is the steering wheel gearing is not adequately protected from the elements, clogging the gears with grass, and making it very difficult to turn. You can clean it after use but it clogs again in no time upon using it next. It needs a "fix." Otherwise, quite happy with the mower. It takes some of my steep hills easily.

First, I must say as a previous Toro walk behind mower owner, I'd always favored their product over all others. A recent 8 year old mower quit because it just got old. OK, so I bought the Toro Smartstow via ShopToro in Minneapolis, MN. It ended up being shipped from Dallas, TX. Immediately, I had problems. The right side lever for adjusting wheel height wouldn't budge. Also it wouldn't start despite my gassing it and putting in the recommended and include fuel additive. Took it to Johnson's Small Engine repair in Harrodsburg, KY which is the recommended local shop. Cost 35.00 despite being under warranty. They said they had to flush the fuel system. Thereafter, I used it happily five times. On the 6th use, it was blowing out oil, labored, then quit. I also noticed the engine bolts to the deck on the mower were loose.

Long story shorter, ShopToro reminded me to go to the local dealer for repair. Local dealer wouldn't repair. I advised ShopToro, they said dealers are independent franchises and decide for themselves if they will honor a warranty. Contacted BBB in Minnesota, ShopToro advised that Johnson's Small Engine repair in Harrodsburg, KY would be happy to service me. As before, this dealer refused to service me. You can be certain I will never again nor recommend, and surely advise others to not purchase a Toro mower. They used to sell quality products and provide quality service. These days you might as well buy from one of those cheapo Chinese companies that Toro seems to be imitating now. Minnesota BBB advised me to seek the KY BBB for help. Toro says no refund or replacement mower.

On Aug 19 2016 we bought a Lawn-Boy self propelled mower. After starting, stopped it adjust the height of mower. Never could get it started again. Took it back to Home Depot on Aug 20 2016. Bought a Toro electric start mower. Got home to put it together to find a blue plastic push button to start. It was missing. Called store. Told to come in next day. They would give the part from one on the floor. So on Aug 21 back to store which a 30 min across town from where we live. Worked great, stared wonderful so mower yard. Then on Sept 1 2016 tried to beat the rain so started to mow. Got backyard mowed moved to front. That was when the back left wheel fell off. Husband put it on I finished. But since the wheel was loose it has ruined the gear. Will take mower back & ask of refund. Not sure what to buy now.

My Toro self propelled mower is less than two years old and the other day it literally blew up. They say I let the oil run too low. I have a similar one that's 8 years old I use at my father in law's place and never have a problem with it. I will never buy a Toro product again.

We bought 2 Toro Zero Turn lawn mowers a year ago and they have been in the dealers shop about as much as we've actually been able to use them. Both are very hard to turn, and the starter went out. Took it to dealer. Then mower wouldn't engage and parking brake wouldn't either. It'll work for a little while then next time, it won't start. Can't steer it. Took it back to local dealer, pushed it off in his parking lot and told him "we don't want it back in our yard!" It's like a card game. $10,000 and we lose! If anyone knows about a lawsuit please post to let us know. We'll never recommend a Toro Aka, "piece of crap" to anyone!

On 5-11-15 I purchased the Toro 22-inch from home depot had it for a year and two months kept up all the maintenance. Finally it start smoking and blowing oil out of the air filter compartment. I called Toro and they gave me dealers to use and I did after they checked it. They said, “You have a bent crankshaft and to fix it was $359.89.” Because it was not covered under warranty. The dealer said, “You may have hit something which was not true. Not only did I have a two year warranty I bought the extended warranty. So I called Toro back and they said they have to go with whatever the dealer say. Never again will I ever buy a Toro.

Bought a Toro 42 in ZTR mower from Home Depot. Mowed my backyard and thought it was the best thing ever. I backed the mower into the garage and simply shut it off. That night I heard a clicking noise that wouldn't stop so I disconnected the battery. The following day I put the battery cables back on and was planning to mow my front yard. The mower wouldn't move forward or backwards, wasn't able to push it. I read the manual and made sure I was doing everything right. Turns out it was the electronic brake. Had to use a come along to drag it onto my trailer. I returned it and got my money back. What a nightmare. I researched and found it was the better ZTR. Not sure what to buy now.

Purchased in August 2012 from Home Depot. When I first got it, it ran and cut beautifully. Probably got 4-5 mows of a 1/3rd acre lot. Then, early in the next season, it began running erratically. Thought maybe it was "bad gas" so I drained the tank and re-fueled. Still ran very rough. Oil and air filter changes, no good. Never ran right for next 3 seasons. Then one fateful day in July of 2016, came out to find engine seized. The lawn mower repair shop found that gas had been leaking into the crankcase, contaminating the oil. The oil was essentially not viscous enough to protect the engine and therefore destroyed it. From what I've read, these 2012 models were shipped with debris in the gas tank, for which there was a technical service bulletin. Since I missed out on that, I'm now left with a $1,049 pile of metal and sadness. I'd never buy Toro again, and I urge you to do the same!

Had push mower 7 months quit running, have to pay $98 for repair of mower.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Toro develops cutting edge riding mowers and has a 100-year history.

• 60-inch cutting deck: This broad cutting deck handles substantial lawn sizes of up to 6 acres.
  • Lifetime guarantee: These riding mowers have a lifetime guarantee for industry-leading protection.
  • Focus on durability: The parts used in the Toro riding mowers have a high-quality design with every step taken to increase durability.
  • Adjustable floating suspension: The suspension smooths out a rough ride and creates a comfortable seat.
  • Multiple speed ranges: Toro riding mowers offer multiple speeds for full control.
  • Best for Homeowners and commercial companies get a long-lasting riding mower from Toro.

Compare Riding Mower