1.28/5

153 Toro Lawn Mowers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Edward of Westland, MI Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Granted my snow blower is about eighteen years old. I take good care of my equipment. My plastic gas tank cracked on its own due to variants of temperature while in storage. The tank was stored empty. I found out when I filled the tank with fresh fuel mixture. I have become frustrated by the lack of communication back from Toro's customer service. This is a fire hazard! As a veteran of the retail lawn and garden business. This is the worst company to deal with any concerns. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A FREE REPLACEMENT. My neighbor had the same problem with his unit two years prior.

Art of Levittown, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Purchased a self-propelled Toro Lawnmower with Kohler engine from HomeDepot spring of 2017 used it 2x, it stopped working returned to HomeDepot. After jumping thru hoops they exchanged it for the same model, my mistake!!! The second mower worked 3x and stopped working, I hurt my back and couldn't move from Sept on, haven't contacted HomeDepot but expect nothing from them, seems that every review of this Toro results in the same outcome, a waste of 400 dollars. Wish me luck as I try to contact Toro.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Merlene of San Antonio, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I bought the Toro lawn mower paying a little more than normal because I believed Toro was a good brand (wrong). I bought it last year and used it twice - put it away for the winter and when I took it out for the first cut of the season it would not start even though I put fresh gas in it. It was going to cost more to have the repair shop fix it since it is only guaranteed for them to fix it for more money. I watched a video online and showed that the carburetor was probably bad. I bought a brand new one and had it replaced. The mower started on the second attempt. I put the mower away for a week and a half and when I took it back out it would not start again. I will NEVER buy a product made by TORO or Kohler.

A. M. of Canonsburg, PA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Bought this Toro 22" Personal Pace lawnmower on August 9, 2017. Got home, took it out of the box, put it together. Read the manual with my 21 year old son, which instructed us to pour the entire contents of oil into oil reservoir. Add as needed. Well after each use, we washed the mower. Checked the fluids. And put the mower away in the garage. Fast forward six weeks and the engine died!!! We barely had to add gas, let alone oil!!! Yet after shipping it off to the repair center, they said it was our fault from not using oil! They said the oil levels were low!? I asked, “Well what happens to the oil when the mower shoots a rod?” The lady said, it drains out. But I'm not a technician, what do you want me to do. I said the mower is brand new! My grass barely covers half an acre!? This is crazy! I'll NEVER buy Toro again. I hope you read this before you make your decisions.

Edward of Dallas, PA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Toro Model 20374 - I purchased it on 4-25-16. It won't start. I replaced the fuse and the battery. Still won't start. The dealer wants $75.00 per hour to work on it. I paid $450.00 for it. I am not going to put any more money in this Lemon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toro?

clarence of New Orleans, LA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

1-year mower would not start. Repair shop for $50 - started once, then same problem. Call to Toro and to local dealer. Problem they say is that my fuel is over 30 days old. Don't remember that advice before the purchase. So be prepared to waste a lot of fuel or keep the engine running until you run out of fuel.

Ben of Fairfield, CT Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I typically don't write bad reviews but this Company deserves it. Not only is the customer service a disappointment but the product is a bigger disappointment. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING A TORO LAWN MOWER. So many people have rated this product one star. Apparently the company doesn't care. All for the same reason. The product lasts about one season before there is a problem with the mower. It is called the "Timemaster". It should be called the "waste of Timemaster". I spend more time trying to get it started rather than cutting the grass. Buy another product. Customer service is terrible as well as the product itself. It cost me a $1,000.00 for this lawn mower. I wish I could write off the loss so I could recoup some of the money I spent on this terrible product. I will never buy another Toro product.

Connie of Arrington, TN Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I purchased a Toro mower with a Kohler engine from Home Depot and have had nothing but headaches with this dud. My experience has been the same as many others have stated in their reviews. Simply stated, this "guaranteed to start" mower does not start! I can only imagine the laughter in the marketing dept of Toro as they came up with the "guaranteed to start" moniker. Neither Toro nor Kohler will stand behind this useless product. The mower is poorly designed and engineered. The only guarantee that I can make, which I will stand behind, is that I will never purchase another Toro or Kohler product!

Mark of Crystal City, MO Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I bought a 400 dollar Toro and used it 4 times and it was trash. I had a feeling when I bought it that is was not gonna be a good product. Next time I will know better and hope this helps someone else. Toro mowers are junk.

Evelyn of Fairhaven, MA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I bought 22" self-propelled mower. The second time I used it, the self-propelled feature stopped working. The belt is partially exposed, but debris can easily become lodged in covered part which could cause a problem. I need to bring mower to repair shop.

Myron of Aurora, CO Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Growing up I always used Toro mowers, Until now, I was mowing the yard and it just stopped. 14 months later. I empty the tank over the winter, I change the oil and it's stored inside. I purchased at Home Depot and I have to jump their hoops, then I will have to jump thru toro hoops.

Pam of Minneapolis, MN Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Extremely disappointed in Toro these days. I bought a new 22" Toro 1 start in spring of 2016, used it maybe 3x, then had a severe medical issue so others mowed my lawn, then mowed 1 more time in late fall. Ran the gas out of the mower and stored in my shed. Spring 2016 - won't start after adding non-ethanol gas and Sta-Bil. Shop said I didn't run all of gas out of the mower! Bought another new Toro one start in June 2017, have used approximately 5x, and now it won't start! I have an older Toro - maybe 15 yrs old, and it runs like a charm but is not self-propelled. I think a class action lawsuit should be filed. Everyone is telling the same story here.

Gary of Okeechobee, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Purchased the mower (Toro 22" Push Mower) at Home Depot in Okeechobee, Florida. I've had this product for 5 months used it 5 times maybe 6 pulled it out of the garage and it wouldn't start in spite of the label on the front of the engine guaranteed to start! I have taken the carburetor apart and cleaned it, changed the spark plug, replaced the gas and it still doesn't work. Pull the cord it starts and then dies. I emailed Toro and got a reply back to "Take it to your local dealer to get it serviced." I paid roughly $300 for this product and now will likely have to shell out at least another $100 to have it serviced. I guess you get what you pay for!!

D of Spartanburg, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

The reason for the review is simple - warn people about poor/bad items so they don't have the same BAD product experiences I've had. I purchased a Toro self propelled 22" Recycler from Home Depot, spring of 2015 for I believe $359. One would think spending almost $400 (after tax) you would have something nice that would last. The mower worked well till mid August (as my son was going to start school). The front drive self propel stopped. HD couldn't fix so they gave me a new mower. BTW this mower proudly states "guaranteed to start" right on the front. My last cut was mid-November (this is with the 2nd mower) and mid cut, I stopped to dump the grass catchings... and the mower would start... with half my lawn cut. Borrow a truck again back to HD... two weeks later early DEC. I get it back.

2016 was NOT better. Three repairs. Two of which were NOT covered. Early 2017 the mower is evidently out of Warranty... will not start, I take to an local mower shop that deals Toro. $120 later (again the "guaranteed to start" solenoid/ whatever) is NO good. Now 20 minutes ago, the compelling factor which motivated me to sit down and write this, Mid cut sputters, dies with half my lawn cut (maybe a quarter acre. Flat- this is my suburban home) Has good gas, cleaned the air filter. Will not start. I do not own a pickup, I have to borrow from in-laws. So this is a huge ** inconvenience. People STAY AWAY FROM TORO PRODUCTS!!

William of Latham, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This mower was purchased in June 2012. It usually started on the second pull. Oil changed regularly; air filter changed annually; company/shop purchased from installed new plug. Had new blades installed and new plug on April 15 this year. Mower ran rough; if the engine was turned off would not restart for at least an hour. Soon it would stall when attempting to engage the blades. Mowing up a small incline the engine wanted to stall. Had to mow on the highest wheel setting as this "powerful" $1,000 lemon would choke otherwise.

Finally the mower failed to start (NOTE: went through 3 governor springs as well. A design flaw would not allow to mow slightly under a bush lest the exposed spring would break.) Brought the mower in for diagnosis and repair. Received a call from repair shop that I need a NEW ENGINE! COST IS $475 PLUS LABOR!! Had an intense conversation with the repair shop about the need for a new engine for a 5 year old mower that is meticulously cared for. Now the repair shop is a good solid shop that I believe is stuck between a rock and a deficient product. We worked out a workaround for the motor; however, the bottom line is this mower is a lemon, plain and simple. Toro... Never again!

jason of Lake Charles, LA Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 30, 2017

My push mower (Toro Recycler 22in) isn't even a month old and it no longer works. I tried calling Toro and Stine and each blames the other. This is ridiculous! I'm never shopping at Stine again nor will I ever buy any Toro products.

David of Lafayette, LA Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 30, 2017

Toro used to be a name associated with quality. When my Snapper died after 25 years, I decided to try a Toro. My mistake. It has been nothing but a pure disappointment. The front wheel drive slips on the grass and can barely move the unit, especially if there is even a slight incline. However, the biggest issue is the "Guaranteed to Start" sticker on the front. What a joke. If the mower remains dormant for more than a week, it will not start. I use high end gas, keep the mower clean and keep the mower indoors. If I skip a week mowing or at least starting it, the unit will not start. Today was the last straw. Got back from a nice 10 day vacation and the mower wont start. Instead of taking the time to clean the jets again, I am going to buy a new Snapper. You really do get what you pay for.

jeffrey of Islip Terrace, NY Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: July 10, 2017

Called Toro today 1 day after using new lawn mower. Told to take to local authorized shop. Shop said bag is defective. Called back Toro after lifting and delivering mower to shop they advised. Only to hear that the lawn mower was bought two years ago and will not be covered. I told them that before they sent me to shop. I had shop verify lawn mower was brand new and verified bag is defective today and two years ago. Why tell someone to load and bring to your advised location to be denied, when the location you sent me to stated this is a toro defect. That order number is from local shop they advised to go to. Toro does not stand by its product

Ricky of Cordele, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 9, 2017

We purchased a Toro MX 5050 on 7/24/16 from Home Depot. Our first two issues was with the "Smart choke" technology. Because of so much starting problems with the choke issue, now we have starter issues. It will not crank. This will be the third or fourth time this mower has been to a mechanic within 12 months of purchase. Also, one of the sealed bearings on the mower deck is bad. We do not recommend this brand of mowers.

richard of Angola, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 7, 2017

Purchased the Toro 50" Zero-Turn Mower on July 27 2016, it ran fine in May of this year but in June would not start. Was told by authorized repair dealer that it needed a new carburetor, and Toro would not cover the repair cost. They are blaming the gas, I put fresh gas in it, and it's the same gas that my 18 year old mower is running on with no problem. I don't feel a carburetor should go bad in less than a year, and Toro should stand behind their product.

Stuart of Rochester, MN Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: June 20, 2017

I purchased a 22 inch self propelled lawnmower in April of 2017. From the first day I got it I have had nothing but problems with it hesitating and quitting while cutting my grass. I have a small city lot and the grass does not get very long. It has been in the shop twice and both times I was assured it was repaired. Both times the same situation occurred. When I contacted Customer Service I was told to take it back for repair. I mentioned I wanted a different lawnmower and was advised Toro doesn't do that. After spending $400 on a piece of junk I would recommend NO ONE buy Toro as they don't stand behind what they sell. I was on the phone for at least a half hour with a manager who advised me they don't do any diagnosis over the phone. I was baffled by that comment and realized I was not going to get anywhere with them. Expensive lesson learned.

Chris of Villa Rica, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: June 19, 2017

Deck continually jumps off bracket. No explanation from Toro. After remounting several times finally adjusted the bolt in the front of the deck to bring the deck forward. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Gary of Gresham, OR Verified Reviewer
Original review: June 13, 2017

I have owned my current Toro for several years, but I had to replace the rear wheel on the right 2 times and once on the left. The left wheel again needs to be replaced and this is very frustrating besides being expensive. I had Toro mowers in the past and I have never had a problem. I have contacted Toro, but there has been no recall. I am not going to buy Toro products again.

M of Royal Palm Beach, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: May 31, 2017

I purchased the above referenced lawn mower (Timecutter SS5000 Zero Turn) in May 2016 from Home Depot. Thought I was getting a good lawn mower, but it has turned out to be a nightmare 1 year later. Just recently I have been having problems with the mower deck falling off. It falls off when you cut high grass. I filed a complaint, of course Toro wants to claim that the deck could only fall if I hit something with it. This is just their way to get out of honoring the warranty. I have truly found out how they appreciate their customers. The design on the zero turn lawn mowers is awful. The mower deck is held up by two open ended hooks, very bad design. But of course Toro's way to take care of their customers is to put the blame on the customer.

Well I have not hit anything with this mower. I am more careful with this mower than I am with my car. Very disheartening to find that when there is a design flaw, that Toro wants to put all the blame on the customer. Really makes me question every wanting to buy another Toro product. Not a good way to do business and definitely not a way to earn consumer confidence.

Rachel of Middlefield, CT Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: May 11, 2017

I tried getting help with an order that Toro made a mistake with. They refused to help me, blamed others for the mistake, were rude and argumentative, refused to let me speak to a supervisor, and hung up on me. Don't EVER give them your business.

Roberta of Ocala, Florida, FL
Original review: May 3, 2017

I had a Toro self-propelled lawn mower that I bought in Brandon, Florida in 2005 and had it until I moved in June of 2016. This mower was excellent! I maintained it and NEVER had to have it serviced. If fact, it was still working great when I left Brandon, but I just decided to give it to my neighbor since she did not have one. Just about 1 week ago, I bought a 2017 Toro self-propelled lawn mower (model 20377) because I thought I would surely get another Great mower... How untrue this was! I am taking it back today - performance was TERRIBLE - won't buy another Toro.

Russ of South Dennis, MA Verified Reviewer
Original review: May 1, 2017

Every year, at least once and sometimes twice, the drive belt falls off. Dealer fixed it the first time and put a claim into Toro. Great, but it tied up the machine for two weeks. So, I proceeded to re-install it myself. A pain, and because Toro paid the claim, it leads me to believe, this is an inherent problem. Fired it up this season and within 30 minutes, drive belt fell off again. Waiting to see what dealer says but if no related service bulletin and fix from Toro, they can keep their machine. Not the company and product quality they use to be.

Joseph of Batesburg, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: May 1, 2017

I have a Toro Titan 5420 zero turn mower. This is the beginning of the fourth summer I've had it. During the previous three years it has been in the shop numerous times, not counting the times I repaired it myself, and none were covered by the warranty. The idler pulleys are plastic and are not very durable. The fuse block is exposed which allows trash to collect in it which will short out your entire wiring harness. It is now in the repair shop again. When it works it does a good job cutting the grass but it is not dependable. For almost $6000.00 I expected far more quality than I received. TORO - another four letter word for junk.

Jeff of Littleton, CO Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 27, 2017

Purchased new Toro electric start, worst lawn mower ever. Won't start after running, have to use bungee cord to wrap around starting arm. Wheel fell off, leaves grass on lawn. Won't stay running on slightly inclined hill. Terrible gas economy.

Joe of Westfield, NJ
Original review: April 23, 2017

I purchased this Toro lawn mower one year ago and it has been nothing but a major headache. The mower starts and when I shut it off to empty the bag, it doesn't start again for the next hour. I should be done mowing my lawn in 45 minutes instead it becomes a 2 hour project. Putting it at curbside tomorrow and purchase a product that actually works properly. This mower is worthless!!!

Toro expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Toro develops cutting edge riding mowers and has a 100-year history.

• 60-inch cutting deck: This broad cutting deck handles substantial lawn sizes of up to 6 acres.

• Lifetime guarantee: These riding mowers have a lifetime guarantee for industry-leading protection.

• Focus on durability: The parts used in the Toro riding mowers have a high-quality design with every step taken to increase durability.

• Adjustable floating suspension: The suspension smooths out a rough ride and creates a comfortable seat.

• Multiple speed ranges: Toro riding mowers offer multiple speeds for full control.

• Best for: Homeowners and commercial companies get a long-lasting riding mower from Toro.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs