1.30/5
Based on 148 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

158 Toro Lawn Mowers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

Model 20217 Recycler Toro Lawn Mower - Have had mower for 27 years, serviced every year, absolutely no problems ever. Started within 2-3 pulls first time. It died last week and is not worth fixing I am told. No problem. Reading your reviews on Toro mowers and most of them read BAD! Hard to believe based on my experience. Getting ready to buy new Toro and will let you know my review in a few weeks. I do know that what I have looked at so far is more plastic than metal. Do not like this.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Wish I had found this site before I purchased a new 50''cut Toro XP model mower. Right off the trailer thing wouldn't start {no manual choke hmm"}, when it did, I put it in gear and heard a loud knocking kind of scrapping sound, the deck rattled and squeaked once the blades were engaged. OK so it's not a Kubota or JD I thought. To the garage after one round of mowing, shut it off, tried to restart & the starter sounded as if it was dragging & grinding on the flywheel. Hmm, so I put it on the charger - if I have these same problems tomorrow this piece of junk is going back to Lowe's, this is the 2nd mower I bought in past 2 months with probs, 1st one was a Husqvarna, left streaks in the grass & the PTO sounded as if it was going explode any minute. Haha. Then the last day I mowed, it refused to start. I can't believe a mower with only 16 hrs on it would be falling apart, evidently these companies don't care to make total junk these days.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I needed a new self propelled mower. I remember growing up how well Toro mowers were made and how well they held up. Times have changed. I brought my BRAND NEW Toro mower home from my local home improvement store. I have a quarter of an acre yard to mow. Halfway through my initial mowing, the self propelled mechanism stopped working. I am not a lawn mower mechanic, nor should I have to become one on my FIRST use of a new mower. I took the mower back to my local store and was convinced to get another identical model and try it again. BIG MISTAKE.

On my second attempt, the mower cut off and wouldn't restart. Keep in mind my grass was no more than 2 inches high and the grass was dry. I wouldn't recommend another Toro product to my worst enemy, and I feel badly for the local home improvement store that bought a warehouse full of these mowers to sell. STAY AWAY FROM ANY MOWER WITH THE TORO NAME ON IT.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I purchased a new TORO 22 in Recycler Lawn Mower last May (less than a year ago). I used it less than 30 times before it was time to put it away for the winter. I followed every single step to empty and store it per the manual. I take great care of all my tools and equipment, after all a clean tool is a happy tool. I used the fuel it said to use and everything else it "recommends" you do for the longevity of the mower. Upon pulling it out of my garage a few weeks ago to start using it for the season it wouldn't start. It had a very loud backfire. I asked my neighbor who is a lifelong well rounded mechanic what the issue could be. He said it wasn't anything to do with fuel but the new "floating carburetor" system they are using these days to be "greener".

I contacted TORO as I am still under warranty. They sent me to an authorized dealer with my receipt for proof of warranty. When I dropped it off it was quickly looked at by the guy helping me. He said it was very clean and that fuel does not cause backfires in the engines. He then also sais that he needed to let us know that the ONLY thing not covered by the warranty was fuel related issues. I got a diagnostic call today and lo and behold. Guess what the issue is??? FUEL RELATED! Supposedly it blew my engine completely because of something to do with the fuel and it would need to be completely rebuilt. The cost to fix it was more than I paid for it brand new. Somehow I naively thought that they'd be honest and that TORO would honor their warranty and fix my less than 1 yr old mower.

Needless to say I said, "No thanks," and will be buying a HONDA mower from now on. I have been a TORO fan most of my life until now. I will never purchase their brand of anything again. I am extremely disappointed and disgusted in their machine and in their scam of a warranty. I can see by reading all of these reviews that I am not the only one with issues. HONDA here I come.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Purchased all wheel drive lawnmower and top of the line trimmer. Used no more than 10 times in less than a year. Trimmer will not start (only use MotoMix fuel) and lawnmower self propel doesn't work. Call customer service # get directed to service dealer that only works on Toro Lawn Mowers. Back to customer support for trimmer... After several minutes of trying to crack the code to speak with a rep I finally speak to a human to explain that their automated answer service leads me to incorrect service dealer. I get a response of contact Home Depot to get a refund. I ask for supervisor several more minutes. No supervisor available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toro?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Granted my snow blower is about eighteen years old. I take good care of my equipment. My plastic gas tank cracked on its own due to variants of temperature while in storage. The tank was stored empty. I found out when I filled the tank with fresh fuel mixture. I have become frustrated by the lack of communication back from Toro's customer service. This is a fire hazard! As a veteran of the retail lawn and garden business. This is the worst company to deal with any concerns. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A FREE REPLACEMENT. My neighbor had the same problem with his unit two years prior.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Purchased a self-propelled Toro Lawnmower with Kohler engine from HomeDepot spring of 2017 used it 2x, it stopped working returned to HomeDepot. After jumping thru hoops they exchanged it for the same model, my mistake!!! The second mower worked 3x and stopped working, I hurt my back and couldn't move from Sept on, haven't contacted HomeDepot but expect nothing from them, seems that every review of this Toro results in the same outcome, a waste of 400 dollars. Wish me luck as I try to contact Toro.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I bought the Toro lawn mower paying a little more than normal because I believed Toro was a good brand (wrong). I bought it last year and used it twice - put it away for the winter and when I took it out for the first cut of the season it would not start even though I put fresh gas in it. It was going to cost more to have the repair shop fix it since it is only guaranteed for them to fix it for more money. I watched a video online and showed that the carburetor was probably bad. I bought a brand new one and had it replaced. The mower started on the second attempt. I put the mower away for a week and a half and when I took it back out it would not start again. I will NEVER buy a product made by TORO or Kohler.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Bought this Toro 22" Personal Pace lawnmower on August 9, 2017. Got home, took it out of the box, put it together. Read the manual with my 21 year old son, which instructed us to pour the entire contents of oil into oil reservoir. Add as needed. Well after each use, we washed the mower. Checked the fluids. And put the mower away in the garage. Fast forward six weeks and the engine died!!! We barely had to add gas, let alone oil!!! Yet after shipping it off to the repair center, they said it was our fault from not using oil! They said the oil levels were low!? I asked, “Well what happens to the oil when the mower shoots a rod?” The lady said, it drains out. But I'm not a technician, what do you want me to do. I said the mower is brand new! My grass barely covers half an acre!? This is crazy! I'll NEVER buy Toro again. I hope you read this before you make your decisions.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Toro Model 20374 - I purchased it on 4-25-16. It won't start. I replaced the fuse and the battery. Still won't start. The dealer wants $75.00 per hour to work on it. I paid $450.00 for it. I am not going to put any more money in this Lemon.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

1-year mower would not start. Repair shop for $50 - started once, then same problem. Call to Toro and to local dealer. Problem they say is that my fuel is over 30 days old. Don't remember that advice before the purchase. So be prepared to waste a lot of fuel or keep the engine running until you run out of fuel.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I typically don't write bad reviews but this Company deserves it. Not only is the customer service a disappointment but the product is a bigger disappointment. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING A TORO LAWN MOWER. So many people have rated this product one star. Apparently the company doesn't care. All for the same reason. The product lasts about one season before there is a problem with the mower. It is called the "Timemaster". It should be called the "waste of Timemaster". I spend more time trying to get it started rather than cutting the grass. Buy another product. Customer service is terrible as well as the product itself. It cost me a $1,000.00 for this lawn mower. I wish I could write off the loss so I could recoup some of the money I spent on this terrible product. I will never buy another Toro product.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I purchased a Toro mower with a Kohler engine from Home Depot and have had nothing but headaches with this dud. My experience has been the same as many others have stated in their reviews. Simply stated, this "guaranteed to start" mower does not start! I can only imagine the laughter in the marketing dept of Toro as they came up with the "guaranteed to start" moniker. Neither Toro nor Kohler will stand behind this useless product. The mower is poorly designed and engineered. The only guarantee that I can make, which I will stand behind, is that I will never purchase another Toro or Kohler product!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I bought a 400 dollar Toro and used it 4 times and it was trash. I had a feeling when I bought it that is was not gonna be a good product. Next time I will know better and hope this helps someone else. Toro mowers are junk.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I bought 22" self-propelled mower. The second time I used it, the self-propelled feature stopped working. The belt is partially exposed, but debris can easily become lodged in covered part which could cause a problem. I need to bring mower to repair shop.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Growing up I always used Toro mowers, Until now, I was mowing the yard and it just stopped. 14 months later. I empty the tank over the winter, I change the oil and it's stored inside. I purchased at Home Depot and I have to jump their hoops, then I will have to jump thru toro hoops.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Extremely disappointed in Toro these days. I bought a new 22" Toro 1 start in spring of 2016, used it maybe 3x, then had a severe medical issue so others mowed my lawn, then mowed 1 more time in late fall. Ran the gas out of the mower and stored in my shed. Spring 2016 - won't start after adding non-ethanol gas and Sta-Bil. Shop said I didn't run all of gas out of the mower! Bought another new Toro one start in June 2017, have used approximately 5x, and now it won't start! I have an older Toro - maybe 15 yrs old, and it runs like a charm but is not self-propelled. I think a class action lawsuit should be filed. Everyone is telling the same story here.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Purchased the mower (Toro 22" Push Mower) at Home Depot in Okeechobee, Florida. I've had this product for 5 months used it 5 times maybe 6 pulled it out of the garage and it wouldn't start in spite of the label on the front of the engine guaranteed to start! I have taken the carburetor apart and cleaned it, changed the spark plug, replaced the gas and it still doesn't work. Pull the cord it starts and then dies. I emailed Toro and got a reply back to "Take it to your local dealer to get it serviced." I paid roughly $300 for this product and now will likely have to shell out at least another $100 to have it serviced. I guess you get what you pay for!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

The reason for the review is simple - warn people about poor/bad items so they don't have the same BAD product experiences I've had. I purchased a Toro self propelled 22" Recycler from Home Depot, spring of 2015 for I believe $359. One would think spending almost $400 (after tax) you would have something nice that would last. The mower worked well till mid August (as my son was going to start school). The front drive self propel stopped. HD couldn't fix so they gave me a new mower. BTW this mower proudly states "guaranteed to start" right on the front. My last cut was mid-November (this is with the 2nd mower) and mid cut, I stopped to dump the grass catchings... and the mower would start... with half my lawn cut. Borrow a truck again back to HD... two weeks later early DEC. I get it back.

2016 was NOT better. Three repairs. Two of which were NOT covered. Early 2017 the mower is evidently out of Warranty... will not start, I take to an local mower shop that deals Toro. $120 later (again the "guaranteed to start" solenoid/ whatever) is NO good. Now 20 minutes ago, the compelling factor which motivated me to sit down and write this, Mid cut sputters, dies with half my lawn cut (maybe a quarter acre. Flat- this is my suburban home) Has good gas, cleaned the air filter. Will not start. I do not own a pickup, I have to borrow from in-laws. So this is a huge ** inconvenience. People STAY AWAY FROM TORO PRODUCTS!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This mower was purchased in June 2012. It usually started on the second pull. Oil changed regularly; air filter changed annually; company/shop purchased from installed new plug. Had new blades installed and new plug on April 15 this year. Mower ran rough; if the engine was turned off would not restart for at least an hour. Soon it would stall when attempting to engage the blades. Mowing up a small incline the engine wanted to stall. Had to mow on the highest wheel setting as this "powerful" $1,000 lemon would choke otherwise.

Finally the mower failed to start (NOTE: went through 3 governor springs as well. A design flaw would not allow to mow slightly under a bush lest the exposed spring would break.) Brought the mower in for diagnosis and repair. Received a call from repair shop that I need a NEW ENGINE! COST IS $475 PLUS LABOR!! Had an intense conversation with the repair shop about the need for a new engine for a 5 year old mower that is meticulously cared for. Now the repair shop is a good solid shop that I believe is stuck between a rock and a deficient product. We worked out a workaround for the motor; however, the bottom line is this mower is a lemon, plain and simple. Toro... Never again!

Original review: July 30, 2017

My push mower (Toro Recycler 22in) isn't even a month old and it no longer works. I tried calling Toro and Stine and each blames the other. This is ridiculous! I'm never shopping at Stine again nor will I ever buy any Toro products.

Original review: July 30, 2017

Toro used to be a name associated with quality. When my Snapper died after 25 years, I decided to try a Toro. My mistake. It has been nothing but a pure disappointment. The front wheel drive slips on the grass and can barely move the unit, especially if there is even a slight incline. However, the biggest issue is the "Guaranteed to Start" sticker on the front. What a joke. If the mower remains dormant for more than a week, it will not start. I use high end gas, keep the mower clean and keep the mower indoors. If I skip a week mowing or at least starting it, the unit will not start. Today was the last straw. Got back from a nice 10 day vacation and the mower wont start. Instead of taking the time to clean the jets again, I am going to buy a new Snapper. You really do get what you pay for.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Called Toro today 1 day after using new lawn mower. Told to take to local authorized shop. Shop said bag is defective. Called back Toro after lifting and delivering mower to shop they advised. Only to hear that the lawn mower was bought two years ago and will not be covered. I told them that before they sent me to shop. I had shop verify lawn mower was brand new and verified bag is defective today and two years ago. Why tell someone to load and bring to your advised location to be denied, when the location you sent me to stated this is a toro defect. That order number is from local shop they advised to go to. Toro does not stand by its product

Original review: July 9, 2017

We purchased a Toro MX 5050 on 7/24/16 from Home Depot. Our first two issues was with the "Smart choke" technology. Because of so much starting problems with the choke issue, now we have starter issues. It will not crank. This will be the third or fourth time this mower has been to a mechanic within 12 months of purchase. Also, one of the sealed bearings on the mower deck is bad. We do not recommend this brand of mowers.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Purchased the Toro 50" Zero-Turn Mower on July 27 2016, it ran fine in May of this year but in June would not start. Was told by authorized repair dealer that it needed a new carburetor, and Toro would not cover the repair cost. They are blaming the gas, I put fresh gas in it, and it's the same gas that my 18 year old mower is running on with no problem. I don't feel a carburetor should go bad in less than a year, and Toro should stand behind their product.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I purchased a 22 inch self propelled lawnmower in April of 2017. From the first day I got it I have had nothing but problems with it hesitating and quitting while cutting my grass. I have a small city lot and the grass does not get very long. It has been in the shop twice and both times I was assured it was repaired. Both times the same situation occurred. When I contacted Customer Service I was told to take it back for repair. I mentioned I wanted a different lawnmower and was advised Toro doesn't do that. After spending $400 on a piece of junk I would recommend NO ONE buy Toro as they don't stand behind what they sell. I was on the phone for at least a half hour with a manager who advised me they don't do any diagnosis over the phone. I was baffled by that comment and realized I was not going to get anywhere with them. Expensive lesson learned.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Deck continually jumps off bracket. No explanation from Toro. After remounting several times finally adjusted the bolt in the front of the deck to bring the deck forward. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I have owned my current Toro for several years, but I had to replace the rear wheel on the right 2 times and once on the left. The left wheel again needs to be replaced and this is very frustrating besides being expensive. I had Toro mowers in the past and I have never had a problem. I have contacted Toro, but there has been no recall. I am not going to buy Toro products again.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I purchased the above referenced lawn mower (Timecutter SS5000 Zero Turn) in May 2016 from Home Depot. Thought I was getting a good lawn mower, but it has turned out to be a nightmare 1 year later. Just recently I have been having problems with the mower deck falling off. It falls off when you cut high grass. I filed a complaint, of course Toro wants to claim that the deck could only fall if I hit something with it. This is just their way to get out of honoring the warranty. I have truly found out how they appreciate their customers. The design on the zero turn lawn mowers is awful. The mower deck is held up by two open ended hooks, very bad design. But of course Toro's way to take care of their customers is to put the blame on the customer.

Well I have not hit anything with this mower. I am more careful with this mower than I am with my car. Very disheartening to find that when there is a design flaw, that Toro wants to put all the blame on the customer. Really makes me question every wanting to buy another Toro product. Not a good way to do business and definitely not a way to earn consumer confidence.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I tried getting help with an order that Toro made a mistake with. They refused to help me, blamed others for the mistake, were rude and argumentative, refused to let me speak to a supervisor, and hung up on me. Don't EVER give them your business.

Toro expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Toro develops cutting edge riding mowers and has a 100-year history.

• 60-inch cutting deck: This broad cutting deck handles substantial lawn sizes of up to 6 acres.

• Lifetime guarantee: These riding mowers have a lifetime guarantee for industry-leading protection.

• Focus on durability: The parts used in the Toro riding mowers have a high-quality design with every step taken to increase durability.

• Adjustable floating suspension: The suspension smooths out a rough ride and creates a comfortable seat.

• Multiple speed ranges: Toro riding mowers offer multiple speeds for full control.

• Best for: Homeowners and commercial companies get a long-lasting riding mower from Toro.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs