1.29/5
Based on 136 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Toro Lawn Mowers

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

146 Toro Lawn Mowers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I purchased a Toro mower with a Kohler engine from Home Depot and have had nothing but headaches with this dud. My experience has been the same as many others have stated in their reviews. Simply stated, this "guaranteed to start" mower does not start! I can only imagine the laughter in the marketing dept of Toro as they came up with the "guaranteed to start" moniker. Neither Toro nor Kohler will stand behind this useless product. The mower is poorly designed and engineered. The only guarantee that I can make, which I will stand behind, is that I will never purchase another Toro or Kohler product!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I bought a 400 dollar Toro and used it 4 times and it was trash. I had a feeling when I bought it that is was not gonna be a good product. Next time I will know better and hope this helps someone else. Toro mowers are junk.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I bought 22" self-propelled mower. The second time I used it, the self-propelled feature stopped working. The belt is partially exposed, but debris can easily become lodged in covered part which could cause a problem. I need to bring mower to repair shop.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Growing up I always used Toro mowers, Until now, I was mowing the yard and it just stopped. 14 months later. I empty the tank over the winter, I change the oil and it's stored inside. I purchased at Home Depot and I have to jump their hoops, then I will have to jump thru toro hoops.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Extremely disappointed in Toro these days. I bought a new 22" Toro 1 start in spring of 2016, used it maybe 3x, then had a severe medical issue so others mowed my lawn, then mowed 1 more time in late fall. Ran the gas out of the mower and stored in my shed. Spring 2016 - won't start after adding non-ethanol gas and Sta-Bil. Shop said I didn't run all of gas out of the mower! Bought another new Toro one start in June 2017, have used approximately 5x, and now it won't start! I have an older Toro - maybe 15 yrs old, and it runs like a charm but is not self-propelled. I think a class action lawsuit should be filed. Everyone is telling the same story here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toro?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Purchased the mower (Toro 22" Push Mower) at Home Depot in Okeechobee, Florida. I've had this product for 5 months used it 5 times maybe 6 pulled it out of the garage and it wouldn't start in spite of the label on the front of the engine guaranteed to start! I have taken the carburetor apart and cleaned it, changed the spark plug, replaced the gas and it still doesn't work. Pull the cord it starts and then dies. I emailed Toro and got a reply back to "Take it to your local dealer to get it serviced." I paid roughly $300 for this product and now will likely have to shell out at least another $100 to have it serviced. I guess you get what you pay for!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

The reason for the review is simple - warn people about poor/bad items so they don't have the same BAD product experiences I've had. I purchased a Toro self propelled 22" Recycler from Home Depot, spring of 2015 for I believe $359. One would think spending almost $400 (after tax) you would have something nice that would last. The mower worked well till mid August (as my son was going to start school). The front drive self propel stopped. HD couldn't fix so they gave me a new mower. BTW this mower proudly states "guaranteed to start" right on the front. My last cut was mid-November (this is with the 2nd mower) and mid cut, I stopped to dump the grass catchings... and the mower would start... with half my lawn cut. Borrow a truck again back to HD... two weeks later early DEC. I get it back.

2016 was NOT better. Three repairs. Two of which were NOT covered. Early 2017 the mower is evidently out of Warranty... will not start, I take to an local mower shop that deals Toro. $120 later (again the "guaranteed to start" solenoid/ whatever) is NO good. Now 20 minutes ago, the compelling factor which motivated me to sit down and write this, Mid cut sputters, dies with half my lawn cut (maybe a quarter acre. Flat- this is my suburban home) Has good gas, cleaned the air filter. Will not start. I do not own a pickup, I have to borrow from in-laws. So this is a huge ** inconvenience. People STAY AWAY FROM TORO PRODUCTS!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This mower was purchased in June 2012. It usually started on the second pull. Oil changed regularly; air filter changed annually; company/shop purchased from installed new plug. Had new blades installed and new plug on April 15 this year. Mower ran rough; if the engine was turned off would not restart for at least an hour. Soon it would stall when attempting to engage the blades. Mowing up a small incline the engine wanted to stall. Had to mow on the highest wheel setting as this "powerful" $1,000 lemon would choke otherwise.

Finally the mower failed to start (NOTE: went through 3 governor springs as well. A design flaw would not allow to mow slightly under a bush lest the exposed spring would break.) Brought the mower in for diagnosis and repair. Received a call from repair shop that I need a NEW ENGINE! COST IS $475 PLUS LABOR!! Had an intense conversation with the repair shop about the need for a new engine for a 5 year old mower that is meticulously cared for. Now the repair shop is a good solid shop that I believe is stuck between a rock and a deficient product. We worked out a workaround for the motor; however, the bottom line is this mower is a lemon, plain and simple. Toro... Never again!

Original review: July 30, 2017

My push mower (Toro Recycler 22in) isn't even a month old and it no longer works. I tried calling Toro and Stine and each blames the other. This is ridiculous! I'm never shopping at Stine again nor will I ever buy any Toro products.

Original review: July 30, 2017

Toro used to be a name associated with quality. When my Snapper died after 25 years, I decided to try a Toro. My mistake. It has been nothing but a pure disappointment. The front wheel drive slips on the grass and can barely move the unit, especially if there is even a slight incline. However, the biggest issue is the "Guaranteed to Start" sticker on the front. What a joke. If the mower remains dormant for more than a week, it will not start. I use high end gas, keep the mower clean and keep the mower indoors. If I skip a week mowing or at least starting it, the unit will not start. Today was the last straw. Got back from a nice 10 day vacation and the mower wont start. Instead of taking the time to clean the jets again, I am going to buy a new Snapper. You really do get what you pay for.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Called Toro today 1 day after using new lawn mower. Told to take to local authorized shop. Shop said bag is defective. Called back Toro after lifting and delivering mower to shop they advised. Only to hear that the lawn mower was bought two years ago and will not be covered. I told them that before they sent me to shop. I had shop verify lawn mower was brand new and verified bag is defective today and two years ago. Why tell someone to load and bring to your advised location to be denied, when the location you sent me to stated this is a toro defect. That order number is from local shop they advised to go to. Toro does not stand by its product

Original review: July 9, 2017

We purchased a Toro MX 5050 on 7/24/16 from Home Depot. Our first two issues was with the "Smart choke" technology. Because of so much starting problems with the choke issue, now we have starter issues. It will not crank. This will be the third or fourth time this mower has been to a mechanic within 12 months of purchase. Also, one of the sealed bearings on the mower deck is bad. We do not recommend this brand of mowers.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Purchased the Toro 50" Zero-Turn Mower on July 27 2016, it ran fine in May of this year but in June would not start. Was told by authorized repair dealer that it needed a new carburetor, and Toro would not cover the repair cost. They are blaming the gas, I put fresh gas in it, and it's the same gas that my 18 year old mower is running on with no problem. I don't feel a carburetor should go bad in less than a year, and Toro should stand behind their product.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I purchased a 22 inch self propelled lawnmower in April of 2017. From the first day I got it I have had nothing but problems with it hesitating and quitting while cutting my grass. I have a small city lot and the grass does not get very long. It has been in the shop twice and both times I was assured it was repaired. Both times the same situation occurred. When I contacted Customer Service I was told to take it back for repair. I mentioned I wanted a different lawnmower and was advised Toro doesn't do that. After spending $400 on a piece of junk I would recommend NO ONE buy Toro as they don't stand behind what they sell. I was on the phone for at least a half hour with a manager who advised me they don't do any diagnosis over the phone. I was baffled by that comment and realized I was not going to get anywhere with them. Expensive lesson learned.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Deck continually jumps off bracket. No explanation from Toro. After remounting several times finally adjusted the bolt in the front of the deck to bring the deck forward. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I have owned my current Toro for several years, but I had to replace the rear wheel on the right 2 times and once on the left. The left wheel again needs to be replaced and this is very frustrating besides being expensive. I had Toro mowers in the past and I have never had a problem. I have contacted Toro, but there has been no recall. I am not going to buy Toro products again.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I purchased the above referenced lawn mower (Timecutter SS5000 Zero Turn) in May 2016 from Home Depot. Thought I was getting a good lawn mower, but it has turned out to be a nightmare 1 year later. Just recently I have been having problems with the mower deck falling off. It falls off when you cut high grass. I filed a complaint, of course Toro wants to claim that the deck could only fall if I hit something with it. This is just their way to get out of honoring the warranty. I have truly found out how they appreciate their customers. The design on the zero turn lawn mowers is awful. The mower deck is held up by two open ended hooks, very bad design. But of course Toro's way to take care of their customers is to put the blame on the customer.

Well I have not hit anything with this mower. I am more careful with this mower than I am with my car. Very disheartening to find that when there is a design flaw, that Toro wants to put all the blame on the customer. Really makes me question every wanting to buy another Toro product. Not a good way to do business and definitely not a way to earn consumer confidence.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I tried getting help with an order that Toro made a mistake with. They refused to help me, blamed others for the mistake, were rude and argumentative, refused to let me speak to a supervisor, and hung up on me. Don't EVER give them your business.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I had a Toro self-propelled lawn mower that I bought in Brandon, Florida in 2005 and had it until I moved in June of 2016. This mower was excellent! I maintained it and NEVER had to have it serviced. If fact, it was still working great when I left Brandon, but I just decided to give it to my neighbor since she did not have one. Just about 1 week ago, I bought a 2017 Toro self-propelled lawn mower (model 20377) because I thought I would surely get another Great mower... How untrue this was! I am taking it back today - performance was TERRIBLE - won't buy another Toro.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Every year, at least once and sometimes twice, the drive belt falls off. Dealer fixed it the first time and put a claim into Toro. Great, but it tied up the machine for two weeks. So, I proceeded to re-install it myself. A pain, and because Toro paid the claim, it leads me to believe, this is an inherent problem. Fired it up this season and within 30 minutes, drive belt fell off again. Waiting to see what dealer says but if no related service bulletin and fix from Toro, they can keep their machine. Not the company and product quality they use to be.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I have a Toro Titan 5420 zero turn mower. This is the beginning of the fourth summer I've had it. During the previous three years it has been in the shop numerous times, not counting the times I repaired it myself, and none were covered by the warranty. The idler pulleys are plastic and are not very durable. The fuse block is exposed which allows trash to collect in it which will short out your entire wiring harness. It is now in the repair shop again. When it works it does a good job cutting the grass but it is not dependable. For almost $6000.00 I expected far more quality than I received. TORO - another four letter word for junk.

Original review: April 27, 2017

Purchased new Toro electric start, worst lawn mower ever. Won't start after running, have to use bungee cord to wrap around starting arm. Wheel fell off, leaves grass on lawn. Won't stay running on slightly inclined hill. Terrible gas economy.

Original review: April 23, 2017

I purchased this Toro lawn mower one year ago and it has been nothing but a major headache. The mower starts and when I shut it off to empty the bag, it doesn't start again for the next hour. I should be done mowing my lawn in 45 minutes instead it becomes a 2 hour project. Putting it at curbside tomorrow and purchase a product that actually works properly. This mower is worthless!!!

Original review: April 20, 2017

I bought a Toro 50" cut riding lawn mower in November 2016, it is now April 2017. This is absolutely the worst lawn mower I have ever owned. EVERY time I cut grass something has to be fixed. Last month the bearing in the steering column had to be fixed, it cost me $100.00 and took almost 3 weeks to get it back. It is still a major effort to steer. Now the blade won't stay engaged and the backup and cut option won't operate at all. I paid $3000.00 for a real piece of garbage.

Original review: April 8, 2017

I've had this model (Toro Recycler Smart Stow lawnmower) for 3.5 years, and have been dissatisfied with it after the first season. Followed all storage instructions, etc. Guaranteed to start?! Like my wife said, "It say's guaranteed to start, it doesn't say guaranteed to run!" No matter how clean or new the spark plug, it takes 10-15 pulls to start. This last time it just quit after starting up. Proper fuel, regular oil check and change, clean filters, fuel lines OK, etc., none of it matters. I do not recommend this Toro model.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Used my lawn mower twice and it just died. Went to return it to Home Depot as a piece of junk. Home Depot said, "You are a few days beyond our 30 day return limit so screw you." Don't buy Toro; don't shop at Home Depot.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

In October 2016 I was mowing when the mower engine exploded. It flew shrapnel in several directions and spewed oil all over. I called Toro and was told to bring it to a dealer who would dismantle it and send in pictures on a warranty claim. It was purchased October of 2015 so I figured it would be covered. I was then told that Briggs & Stratton had denied the claim and said it was my fault due to lack of oil. I always had checked the oil every time I mowed because I knew this mower burned oil unlike the last Toro I had purchased in 2008 which still runs. It's disgraceful to deny claims like these and claim user error. I understand this engine has now been discontinued due to emissions. It's no wonder it has emissions problems as I know it burns oil excessively. Don't buy Toro products. Their warranties are worthless and they won't back their products.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

Like most other users here, we had 2 Toro mowers over the years that were extremely dependable. We bought this 2 years ago to cut a half acre. It worked good the first few times last year, then broke down, so into the shop it went. This year it worked a few times and it froze. Back to the shop. The place that sold it, a small shop that works on and sells power equipment, had to order the part which took weeks for it to come in. End of summer, only a few more cuts and the cable broke today. We're ready to trash it due to extreme frustration. Don't buy this machine. It is under-engineered and a waste of good money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

I had my Toro SW5000 for only one season when one drive-transmission went out. It was fixed under warranty with no problem, however my main complaint is the steering wheel gearing is not adequately protected from the elements, clogging the gears with grass, and making it very difficult to turn. You can clean it after use but it clogs again in no time upon using it next. It needs a "fix." Otherwise, quite happy with the mower. It takes some of my steep hills easily.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

First, I must say as a previous Toro walk behind mower owner, I'd always favored their product over all others. A recent 8 year old mower quit because it just got old. OK, so I bought the Toro Smartstow via ShopToro in Minneapolis, MN. It ended up being shipped from Dallas, TX. Immediately, I had problems. The right side lever for adjusting wheel height wouldn't budge. Also it wouldn't start despite my gassing it and putting in the recommended and include fuel additive. Took it to Johnson's Small Engine repair in Harrodsburg, KY which is the recommended local shop. Cost 35.00 despite being under warranty. They said they had to flush the fuel system. Thereafter, I used it happily five times. On the 6th use, it was blowing out oil, labored, then quit. I also noticed the engine bolts to the deck on the mower were loose.

Long story shorter, ShopToro reminded me to go to the local dealer for repair. Local dealer wouldn't repair. I advised ShopToro, they said dealers are independent franchises and decide for themselves if they will honor a warranty. Contacted BBB in Minnesota, ShopToro advised that Johnson's Small Engine repair in Harrodsburg, KY would be happy to service me. As before, this dealer refused to service me. You can be certain I will never again nor recommend, and surely advise others to not purchase a Toro mower. They used to sell quality products and provide quality service. These days you might as well buy from one of those cheapo Chinese companies that Toro seems to be imitating now. Minnesota BBB advised me to seek the KY BBB for help. Toro says no refund or replacement mower.

Toro expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Toro develops cutting edge riding mowers and has a 100-year history.

• 60-inch cutting deck: This broad cutting deck handles substantial lawn sizes of up to 6 acres.
    • Lifetime guarantee: These riding mowers have a lifetime guarantee for industry-leading protection.
    • Focus on durability: The parts used in the Toro riding mowers have a high-quality design with every step taken to increase durability.
    • Adjustable floating suspension: The suspension smooths out a rough ride and creates a comfortable seat.
    • Multiple speed ranges: Toro riding mowers offer multiple speeds for full control.
    • Best for: Homeowners and commercial companies get a long-lasting riding mower from Toro.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs