Sub-Zero Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Sub-Zero Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sub-Zero Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sub-Zero?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Unit has been down for 2 weeks now. No replacement of food. Very disappointed!!! Called to ask for help but they are not very caring. Guess I made a big purchase and no service after the sale. Hopefully they will get me running soon.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Great big refrigerator for over 13 years. Key for its life is to put and frequently change a 10” by 20” air filter (rating 4) inside top big refrigerator where the compressor is running to minimize overheating and expensive clean up and repair service.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I have a Sub-Zero refrigerator 2 1/2 years old. It stopped working 2 times last year. Now again is not working and the service calls and parts are very expensive. I lost everything inside the refrigerator for the 3rd time. It doesn't worth the price of the Sub-Zero refrigerator vs the quality.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Have had for 21 years. Very good. Not too many problems. Use private person to fix. Much cheaper. Mine is built in, really nice. I have enjoyed it, big nice size freezer room for everything. If I ever need a new one would buy it again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

Excellent commercial grade fridge. Looks more than good enough (stainless steel), to blend in to a home setting. Rock solid performance. Excellent controls and a great freezer section. Model 650, with a bottom freezer. Twelve years on, and not a single issue.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

The food in my refrigerator lasts longer so less waste. I have had many other brands over the years, but this is hands down the best appliance. I love it. It keeps everything cool and the icemaker works well.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Fridge is probably at least 15 years old; excellent in cooling, quiet, attractive, but there is no water filter to change, so don't know if there is one. Ice maker is very clunky, very noisy, spits ice all over the place, have to use bulk ice from inside the fridge; ice maker itself-very difficult to access; difficult to clean coils.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

When we bought the house it has a subzero refrigerator, it was 12 old and we replaced a new compressor and worked another 8 years until February 2017. We want to use other brand due to a new one cost about $12,000 to 13,000, but the refrigerator hole didn't fit others or don't look right, so we end up get another Subzero refrigerator hoping it last another 20 years. Just before the two-year warranty out, the water leak from the bottom, the tech came and clear it, the same time he found one of the LED light was out and replace the bulb.

In May 2020, the drain clogged again and is out of warranty. My old one had not clogged once. The new has a filter there for the pure air system needs to change about every two years cost $55, this expense my old one did not have. Plus my old one door will close by itself, this one will not. After the door close, the air inside suck and will not allow to open at least five minutes, very inconvenient. It looks like the old one has better quality than the new one. With so far that much problem is not worth the money. We need to have longer warranty to cover the repair costs.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Doors don’t shut well including freezer drawer! If you leave it open all lights inside won’t activate! Worst investment ever! Don’t bother to buy! Angry at such awful user function! I’d actually say save your money.

Original review: May 7, 2020

The ice and water dispenser on outside of fridge will shoot out at people across the room, when no one is touching the fridge. It’s 9 month old. The repairman told us that this is a common problem, and Sub-Zero has no solution. They don’t know why these new, very expensive models are malfunctioning, but it’s not just us. Others are experiencing. Whole motherboard has to be replaced for the 3rd time.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

We wanted an integrated fridge when we remodeled. Sub-Zero was the only brand that had a truly integrated model. The fridge works great but the freezer is a nightmare. I have had factory service done repeatedly on the freezer. The defrost cycle makes the ice defrost and then refreeze in a big glob. Food defrosts and refreezes over and over. Unless you want to use everything in your freezer within a week or less, you are left with unusable globs. The company says the fridge is working normally. Really? Our new Asko dishwasher starts almost every time you close the door when you are just loading it. They have replaced two sensors and it still does the same thing. It has leaked twice on our wood floor. It has been a terrible purchase.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We were hesitant to buy second Sub Zero refridg/freezer combination because of the loud compressor noises from their 2 compressor systems. However, the appliance dealer convinced us that the new ones had corrected that problem -- and in fairness-- they have. However, when I realize that the Sub Zero French door 42" model we did purchase cost more than twice what I paid for my first new car (a '64 GTO, by the way), I now feel I should have bought a new car instead! Nothing but problems, including a total replacement of the unit 3 months after it was first installed.

First, the magnets embedded in the freezer door, used to keep the door snugly closed, were installed backwards -- causing the door to be pushed away from the front of the freezer. This caused the freezer to continually ice over and render the freezer inoperable. Next, the freezer door iced over on its skids -- causing a larger and larger ice build-up and, ultimately prevent the door from closing completely. Next, the gasket on the freezer door tore and had to be replaced. Most recently, the ice maker stopped working. A call to Customer Service indicated that we needed a replacement water filter. Unfortunately, their user manual CLEARLY states at least three times that the light on the display panel should be blinking -- and it wasn't. Customer Service representative said she was sorry, but the manual was wrong. Give me back my GTO!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

RIDICULOUS. A big company like Sub Zero can't even manufacture a decent water spout on the inside of the refrigerator door? Every time you go to fill up anything…better take a towel. When you fill your cup and pull it away, water continues to flow, so you now have to clean up water inside the refrigerator, inside the cabinets, as well as on you floors…EVERY SINGLE TIME. Horrible design. It's a decent refrigerator,,,,,nothing better than any other model, KitchenAid, Sears, Whirlpool. Sub Zero's are just overpriced. They used to have a lifetime warranty on them…then they were worth the dollar but not anymore.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

My month old $13,000 refrigerator already has problems. I purchased the 42 inch side by side built in refrigerator. Has an ice maker not working properly. Freezes up and will not dispense ice and other times dispenses ice at will into the interior of refrigerator. The refrigerator interior is poorly designed and limi

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

We love our Sub Zero. Very few issues over the decades but we are redoing our kitchen and are unsure about keeping this one or purchasing a new one. It’s a huge gamble! We clean the motor periodically and apply petroleum jelly when needed to increase the vacuum seals on the doors. Too bad we do not have a crystal ball!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I chose a built-in all refrigerator for it's energy efficiency, and have a separate undercounter freezer. The Sub Zero is very roomy and well lit. Have had some issues with dark staining of the white etching on the glass shelves, (which removes mostly with cleaning). Bought in 2001, still going strong in 2019 with only one repair. Very easy to access/clean coils. Fits a huge pizza box on bottom shelf! Stainless steel face looks great. Can set exact temperature desired. No ice/water on door, too many things to break, and I prefer to make my own ice. Ice makers are notorious for problems, so I kept it simple.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

Expensive, but worth it. Had to spend about $1500 to repair and switch to new refrigerant, but should be good for another 30 years. When you buy a Sub-Zero, you should never have to buy another refrigerator in your lifetime.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Quality built throughout, steady cold or frozen temperature in respective compartments. It looks impressive, more like a part of the house than just an appliance. It is a bit expensive to buy however.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Two new compressors and four door gaskets in ten years. Also high energy user. It looked good and had lots of room. Freezer on bottom was great. If you are wealthy, who cares if it costs so much to buy and repair?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

We had an older version that actually worked better than this model we purchased in 2010. We have have several issues with the ice maker and have have several calls to have a repair person come and fix it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Sub-zeros are overpriced luxury fridges. For the price, they deliver a status look. Do they deliver a better product? The 2 we have owned over the ages can be temperamental. The first one needed a new condenser; during the servicing we learned that Sub-zeros should be moved only by professionals. The current one has a water condensation drain scheme that's faulty by design and clogs. As a separate water-handling defect, the vegetable bins condense too much water and pool, causing food to rot. Otherwise, aside from the regular maintenance of vacuuming off the heat exchanger, the fridge has been fairly maintenance free for near 10 years.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

Have had the refrigerator for 20 years, very few repairs, functions very well, still looks like new. Side by side refrigerator, freezer on the bottom with ice maker, costly but would recommend this fridge.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Five years ago, we bought a sub-zero built in refrigerator with freezer section on the bottom. Now we regret it. We have a problem with constant build-up of ice at the bottom of the refrigerator section behind the crisp drawer. Also the drain tube gets blocked with ice. Subsequently, condensation water is dripping from the refrigerator and in the long term it damages the door rubber gasket which need to be replaced at a high cost. We have to defrost the refrigerator and drain pipe 3 to 4 times a year. We set the temperature at the recommended level, no luck, we increased it by couple of degrees, no improvement. We had a built -in Kitchen Aid fridge for 15 years and now we regret changing it, it was in excellent working conditions.

Original review: June 28, 2019

We had a Sub-Zero when we bought our home in 2005. In 2010 we replaced it with a new Sub-Zero because that is the only refrigerator that would fit in the area that the other built in was removed. We have had AWFUL problems with the ice maker and the drain clogging. We have a repairman here at least once a year--- sometimes twice. We either really purchased a lemon or their product has completely gone sub-par.. Problem- it cost us $10,000. We could have purchased a much cheaper refrigerator and probably gotten much more use. Unfortunately, Sub-Zero makes sure you can only replace with their product if it is a built in. No other company fits the dimensions. I would never recommend this product.

Original review: June 2, 2019

We replaced our built-in Sub-Zero in 2015 with what we thought was going to be a newer version of the BI 36U/O RH model. This NEW VERSION IS TOTALLY DISGUSTING AND DOES NOT WORK!!!! The very worst thing about it is that there is no self-closing mechanism on the freezer drawer as there was on the older version. In other words: how many times has my husband gone to get ice for his cocktail and pushed the freezer drawer to close BUT it does not slide in all the way? SO the freezer and refrigerator heat up. The older version stated this on page 20 of its instructions: "Your freezer drawer has a self-closing mechanism. The incline, built into roller assemblies on the drawer uses gravity to assist in closing the drawer."

The newer version DOES NOT have this self-closing mechanism, I was informed. What stupid, pathetic engineering idiot decided to do away with this feature in the newer version???? I would love to know why that decision was made since the occasions when the freezer drawer does not shut totally are still numerous -- even four years after purchase of the newer model for thousands of dollars????

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have a $13,000.00 dollar SubZero fridge that is constantly creating mold due to excessive moisture. I have had a SubZero repairman out 3 different times for this issue. While I was hoping to find a fixable solution, I was told all 3 times that this is normal for the SubZero appliance since it is made to retain moisture to keep food longer. I DO NOT RECOMMEND buying this appliance unless you like to deconstruct the interior of your fridge, every 6 weeks with bleach water and dish soap, as recommended by the service techs. I have NEVER had mold in any of my fridges in my 56 years of life UNTIL I got a SubZero.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Asko is owned by Sub-Zero, and that is who we had to deal with. They were horrible. We purchased a very expensive Asko washer and dryer. Almost from day one we had problems with the washer. Sometimes it would just not spin all the water out of the clothes. This was random, and it didn't matter how big or small the load was or what the cycle was. This has now gone on for over 2 years. We called the store we bought it from and they sent their repairman. The man has now been out more than 10 times. Some parts on the washer were replaced although no one could seen to figure out what the issue was. NOTHING has worked and we continue to have the problem. In addition to this at times when washing suds and water would pour out of the front of the washer onto our wood floors. Of course the repair service couldn't figure out why that was happening randomly either.

During this time Asko/Sub Zero in Wisconsin was contacted several times by the repairman, and in our presence. The poor guy just didn't know what else to do and wanted to let them know about the issues. I personally just had a phone conversation that was insulting and went nowhere. The rep showed absolutely no good faith, and during the call she continually tried to manipulate the conversation and distort the truth in an attempt to try to absolve Asko/Sub-Zero of having to take responsibility for their obviously defective product.

I have never had issues like these with any other washer I have ever owned. It is truly disgusting that this company has ignored the problem and let it go on and on, no matter what we did. We went through channels and did everything they all told us to. Now, we are at the end of our patience, and are going to leave bad reviews about them on every site we can find. We have all our paperwork together and are now considering a lawsuit in small claims court. We cannot afford to let this go. Needless to say we would never do business with this company again or ever recommend them or their products.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Just awful. Spent 12K on a brand new 48 inch side by side Sub Zero Refrigerator. Took five weeks to get a service call for initial problems of excessive noise. Despite promised contact, no one called to schedule appointment. Was on hold for 24 minutes trying to find out why. When service finally appeared, they resolved noise problem but next attempt to use the external water dispenser resulted in a flood of water down the front of the refrigerator and all over the floor, with water spraying everywhere but in the glass directly under the dispenser, and creating a huge mess. Called again Friday morning to hear after 12 minutes on hold that the office is "closed". Not sure why anyone thinks this is a good product or a customer oriented company, except for the hype and advertising, all of which are lies.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My side by side built in Sub-Zero ice maker gets stuck so sometimes I don’t get ice, and sometimes it spits it out wildly. Ice dispenser is horrible as it normally spits out ice on the floor as it is poorly designed. The freezer drawer doesn’t pull out all the way, and I couldn’t find any useful information online to pull the drawer out. I called them, first woman didn’t know, and the second woman pretended she knew what to do and I told her it wasn’t working. And asked to speak to another person and she said that the next person would just tell me the same thing? This was after being on hold for 20 min and talking to them for 5. I’m not impressed for the price I paid.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Purchased this Sub-Zero 1 1/2 yrs ago. The compressor makes a bongo drum sound when it comes on. This lasts for about 1-2 minutes. The freezer does not keep food as frozen as the supermarket even at a temp setting of zero. The fridge box temp tends to measure 40-45 degrees even though temp is set at 38.

Considering the outrageously high price there should be a fridge thermostats like the ones in your home where you can set the temp for day and night. There should also be an actual temp gauge inside the fridge and the freezer!

Sub-Zero Refrigerators Company Information