Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Sub-Zero Refrigerators Reviews

Original review: June 28, 2019

We had a Sub-Zero when we bought our home in 2005. In 2010 we replaced it with a new Sub-Zero because that is the only refrigerator that would fit in the area that the other built in was removed. We have had AWFUL problems with the ice maker and the drain clogging. We have a repairman here at least once a year--- sometimes twice. We either really purchased a lemon or their product has completely gone sub-par.. Problem- it cost us $10,000. We could have purchased a much cheaper refrigerator and probably gotten much more use. Unfortunately, Sub-Zero makes sure you can only replace with their product if it is a built in. No other company fits the dimensions. I would never recommend this product.

Original review: June 2, 2019

We replaced our built-in Sub-Zero in 2015 with what we thought was going to be a newer version of the BI 36U/O RH model. This NEW VERSION IS TOTALLY DISGUSTING AND DOES NOT WORK!!!! The very worst thing about it is that there is no self-closing mechanism on the freezer drawer as there was on the older version. In other words: how many times has my husband gone to get ice for his cocktail and pushed the freezer drawer to close BUT it does not slide in all the way? SO the freezer and refrigerator heat up. The older version stated this on page 20 of its instructions: "Your freezer drawer has a self-closing mechanism. The incline, built into roller assemblies on the drawer uses gravity to assist in closing the drawer."

The newer version DOES NOT have this self-closing mechanism, I was informed. What stupid, pathetic engineering idiot decided to do away with this feature in the newer version???? I would love to know why that decision was made since the occasions when the freezer drawer does not shut totally are still numerous -- even four years after purchase of the newer model for thousands of dollars????

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have a $13,000.00 dollar SubZero fridge that is constantly creating mold due to excessive moisture. I have had a SubZero repairman out 3 different times for this issue. While I was hoping to find a fixable solution, I was told all 3 times that this is normal for the SubZero appliance since it is made to retain moisture to keep food longer. I DO NOT RECOMMEND buying this appliance unless you like to deconstruct the interior of your fridge, every 6 weeks with bleach water and dish soap, as recommended by the service techs. I have NEVER had mold in any of my fridges in my 56 years of life UNTIL I got a SubZero.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Asko is owned by Sub-Zero, and that is who we had to deal with. They were horrible. We purchased a very expensive Asko washer and dryer. Almost from day one we had problems with the washer. Sometimes it would just not spin all the water out of the clothes. This was random, and it didn't matter how big or small the load was or what the cycle was. This has now gone on for over 2 years. We called the store we bought it from and they sent their repairman. The man has now been out more than 10 times. Some parts on the washer were replaced although no one could seen to figure out what the issue was. NOTHING has worked and we continue to have the problem. In addition to this at times when washing suds and water would pour out of the front of the washer onto our wood floors. Of course the repair service couldn't figure out why that was happening randomly either.

During this time Asko/Sub Zero in Wisconsin was contacted several times by the repairman, and in our presence. The poor guy just didn't know what else to do and wanted to let them know about the issues. I personally just had a phone conversation that was insulting and went nowhere. The rep showed absolutely no good faith, and during the call she continually tried to manipulate the conversation and distort the truth in an attempt to try to absolve Asko/Sub-Zero of having to take responsibility for their obviously defective product.

I have never had issues like these with any other washer I have ever owned. It is truly disgusting that this company has ignored the problem and let it go on and on, no matter what we did. We went through channels and did everything they all told us to. Now, we are at the end of our patience, and are going to leave bad reviews about them on every site we can find. We have all our paperwork together and are now considering a lawsuit in small claims court. We cannot afford to let this go. Needless to say we would never do business with this company again or ever recommend them or their products.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Just awful. Spent 12K on a brand new 48 inch side by side Sub Zero Refrigerator. Took five weeks to get a service call for initial problems of excessive noise. Despite promised contact, no one called to schedule appointment. Was on hold for 24 minutes trying to find out why. When service finally appeared, they resolved noise problem but next attempt to use the external water dispenser resulted in a flood of water down the front of the refrigerator and all over the floor, with water spraying everywhere but in the glass directly under the dispenser, and creating a huge mess. Called again Friday morning to hear after 12 minutes on hold that the office is "closed". Not sure why anyone thinks this is a good product or a customer oriented company, except for the hype and advertising, all of which are lies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sub-Zero?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My side by side built in Sub-Zero ice maker gets stuck so sometimes I don’t get ice, and sometimes it spits it out wildly. Ice dispenser is horrible as it normally spits out ice on the floor as it is poorly designed. The freezer drawer doesn’t pull out all the way, and I couldn’t find any useful information online to pull the drawer out. I called them, first woman didn’t know, and the second woman pretended she knew what to do and I told her it wasn’t working. And asked to speak to another person and she said that the next person would just tell me the same thing? This was after being on hold for 20 min and talking to them for 5. I’m not impressed for the price I paid.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Purchased this Sub-Zero 1 1/2 yrs ago. The compressor makes a bongo drum sound when it comes on. This lasts for about 1-2 minutes. The freezer does not keep food as frozen as the supermarket even at a temp setting of zero. The fridge box temp tends to measure 40-45 degrees even though temp is set at 38.

Considering the outrageously high price there should be a fridge thermostats like the ones in your home where you can set the temp for day and night. There should also be an actual temp gauge inside the fridge and the freezer!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Although we have had these models for over 18 years, they have needed many repairs to keep them working. First, the good. The compressors have lasted without failures. Bad: the evaporators in both units failed within 5-7 years, the electronic modules use substandard relays for switching the compressors on and off (contacts welding due to excess starting current), defrost heater failed on the freezer when the evaporator failed. It is very inconvenient when a refrigerator or a freezer fails so I would hope that these VERY expensive units would be built for a lifetime like the GEs built 70-80 years ago.

Original review: July 14, 2018

We bought this fridge in 2016 because the previous fridge lasted about 20 years. The newer model was a joke, lacking any innovation, with most of the material seemingly inferior to their 90s counterpart – all of which made me feel very stupid for not checking out the physical unit prior to forking out $10,000. We've had to contact Sub-Zero three times for issues/repair since. They dropped the ball on our last service request. As other reviewers noted, calling their falsely advertised "Call Us Anytime" line was a waste of time as no one ever picks up. I'm still waiting with the hold music and it's been over 20 minutes — writing them an email instead. By the way, the hidden email for customer service is customerservice@subzero.com. Good luck, people. I would go for a Miele, Thermador, or honestly, anything else.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We inherited the Sub-Zero 650 when purchasing our home. The unit is less than 20 years old. It seems as though it's one issue after the next. The unit is built in, so replacing it would be expensive. We're stuck with fixing it time after time. Think twice before purchasing Sub-Zero. You'll be happy you did.

Sub-Zero Refrigerators Company Information