Samsung Microwave
  • 1 star
Based on 40 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Samsung Microwave

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 29, 2017

460 Samsung Microwave Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

The management company for my apartment purchased for me a Samsung Microwave model 18H704SFS in Sept 2015 from PC Richards. Since purchasing, it has stopped working three times and required service. The problem is with the sensors on the door which have been replaced only to fail again. My old cube microwave (thank God I saved it), which I had for over 15 years, never failed me... and I have had to bring it out of storage each time my new Samsung decided to stop functioning. Wonder of wonders, it still works perfectly unlike my nearly new Samsung.

Even though I purchased a 5 yr warranty, all this costs me time in multiple appointments and return visits with parts ordered, not to mention all the phone calls. I just now turned to ConsumerAffairs to read Samsung microwave reviews, something I should have done before I bought Samsung as I see other persons with the very same complaint. I have a Samsung phone which I like. The microwave, however, seems to be a loser. Buyer beware!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I purchased this Samsung convection microwave (MC11K70355) about 4 weeks ago at Best Buy. It was considerably more money than I wanted to spend but offered lots of useful features. I found it easy to use, powerful and a very good addition to my kitchen. Baking and roasting are a breeze with this thing. The slim fry function is very nice for cooking and frying vegetables in very light oil. The unit failed a week ago when the grill stop working. Samsung had a technician out the next day who diagnosed a poor connection to the grill which ended up shorting out. It took a week to get parts, they replaced the grill the wiring harness and the front panel computer. Despite the problems I am very happy with this microwave. The problem appears to been a manufacturing defect.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I purchased a Samsung OTC Microwave, model # ME18H704SFS in Sept. 2016 from Home Depot. On Nov. 13, 2017, the Magnetron gave up. Samsung repairman told me it would cost $280 on top of the $109.00 I paid for him to come out. It cost me $455.64 to have this microwave installed last year. Now this. I will NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM SAMSUNG.

I am so angry as to how a company can be allowed to sell such cheaply made appliances and cheat consumers out of their hard earned money. This just seems unfair. Samsung has to be aware of this problem and yet they continue to sell the units with the same problem. Of course, they are of no help when you call. This magnetron is clearly a problem based on the reviews I have now read. Wish I had read them before purchasing my unit. I would not have bought the WORTHLESS microwave. I had an old GE microwave that I used for 10 years before it gave up and I replaced it. Never had any problems with that microwave. Now you purchase what appears to be a good microwave and this appliance is a TOTALLY WORTHLESS PIECE OF JUNK.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Purchased Samsung. Microwave ME18H704SFB/AC overhead No heat, fan works etc, but no heat. Contacted Samsung. All they could offer was "sorry". Warranty expired by one month (13 months). Paid over $400 for the unit and got nothing but dribble from customer service. This is junk and I would advise everyone not to purchase Samsung appliances.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I am on my 3rd Samsung appliance that has gone out or died. They are all 3 1/2 years old. First the refrigerator, then the washer and now the microwave. We bought all our appliances when remodeling. The last episode with the washer just about finished us off. The repair person said it would cost too much to fix so we should think about buying a new one, which we did. Now the microwave? I am over Samsung. Done.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsung Computers and Monitors?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

We purchased the Samsung OTS microwave, Model No. SMH1713S around three years ago. Last month, the fan malfunctioned and will turn on when you open the door. Just last week, the microwave stopped working at all. We (unfortunately) have a Samsung washer and dryer, which has been serviced three times and we are about ready to replace it... It's three years old. We also have a Samsung refrigerator that has been serviced once and a glass-top stove, all purchased around the same time and all with issues! I can't believe how much money we have wasted on this company. They may make good TV's but they need to get out of the appliance business!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We bought a new Samsung convection microwave, Model MC17J8000CS, and a Samsung refrigerator, Model RF4287HARS/XAA, which was delivered Sept. 14, 2016. Microwave - Suddenly stopped in middle of heating vegetables 13 months after purchase (last night). Great! Refrigerator - Frequently, the middle drawer gets hung up and won’t close without a few tries. Just don’t open it too far and keep trying. You’ll get it; well, I always have. If you change from CRUSHED ice to CUBED ice, be ready for NO ice to drop into your glass. Open the door and you get your ice. Yes, it’s all over your feet and the floor but at least you know where it is. On the positive side, I think they’re attractive appliances. My husband thinks they spot too easily but I’m ok with that. In all fairness, he is the one who cleans them.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Hopefully the reader of this submission has not yet purchased a Samsung. I sure wish I had done some homework on Samsung before I went shopping. Samsung products low quality. My $500 microwave is broken. It makes a horrific noise when I try to microwave. It's not heating up and is emitting a scary electrical smell. I had an old microwave when I was in college. Paid $20 for it from someone's garage sale. It lasted more than 10 years. I did a kitchen remodel and bought this fancy looking Samsung and had it mounted over my stove. It's total junk. How can a $20 microwave last 10 plus years and a $500 microwave make it only 2 years? My advice - NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM SAMSUNG. Period...

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My microwave caught on fire and I know it's out of warranty. Do not expect a new replacement but at least a refund. This could have caught my home on fire. After back and forth with Samsung and a dealer they sent out to say it is not repairable they will do nothing. I sent them pictures of the damage and they still give me the run around. I do not think every appliance that runs out of warranty needs to be replaced and that's what they make me feel like. My ticket # is **.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Samsung microwave hood combo ME21706MQS/AC. Purchased an entire kitchen package from Sears Nov 2015 which included a Samsung microwave oven. We are a retired couple so use microwave to heat food and drinks. The microwave would not heat August 2017. Contacted Sears who sent a repairman. Estimate is to replace magnetron $133.96; diode $9.99; transformer $143.46 LABOUR $189.00. Total is $476.41 and I paid $599.99 plus get for the oven. Repairman recommended not to repair as it would not work in less than a year! In other words a piece of crap! I took out the 3 year no interest from Sears so I still have over a year to pay for this piece of crap. Samsung or Sears would not help.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have been in touch with Samsung regarding my microwave since August 3, 2017. At first, they were going to send out a tech to look at it since it completely just stopped working. My microwave is less than a year old and under warranty. After three days without a call from a tech to schedule an appointment to come fix it I called Samsung back. I explained that no one has come by or called about fixing my microwave. The customer service rep said they would contact the company about coming out to repair it. I also asked for the company's number. After still not hearing from them I called the company myself. No one answered so I left a message. After another few days with no call back I called Samsung again and reported the issue. Next, the rep put me on hold and tried to contact the company with no success. That rep said they would keep trying and call me back.

Finally, after more than 2 weeks without a working microwave a Samsung rep called stating that they did not have anyone that could repair it and would issue a refund. But of course, there is a catch! I had to supply a receipt that I no longer and had paid cash for the microwave so no bank record. Once I explained this they said they could still issue a refund but it would take 10 days of review and then they would send out an email to start the process for getting a refund. I am not a criminal nor am I trying to scam them. I would much rather have my microwave fixed than purchase another one. But that does not seem to be an option. I cannot understand why it would take 10 days for review. Also, the refund is going to be $37 less than what we paid. We have had other Samsung products that we have had to replace or repair.

We replaced our dishwasher and our refrigerator need to be replaced. It has several issues. We will not be purchasing anymore Samsung products or recommending them! We finally just went ahead and purchased another microwave and have the Samsung sitting around waiting for the email about getting a refund. Samsung requires you to take a picture of it with the cord cut and the serial number. I get this procedure but I should not have to wait 10 days for an email in order to send this information in. It seems like a stall tactic to me. I am a service business owner and would never have a customer wait over a month for results!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

After 13 months and 1 month after the warranty expired. I called Samsung Appliances and reported that I had a software glitch. After the unit finishes a cooking cycle the LED Panel clears itself out, wipes out the memory settings including the clock and takes 5 to 10 retries to reset it. I purchased this at Sears along with other Samsung products including a top of the line SS side by side Fridge etc. This microwave is a top of the line over the stove SS model #ME21F707MJT/AC manufactured date March 2016. Samsung position is too bad. Out of warranty you pay for our bad software design and motherboard. They will not confirm if this is an isolated or general issue with this machine.

Stay away from Samsung. They don"t care. From this day forward I will never purchase another Samsung Appliance including the Galaxy Phone. My S7 which is ready to be replaced, also my pending purchase of a 4K OHLED large panel TV will not include Samsung. Going back to SONY. They are a bunch of ** and Issac the telephone rep apologized for my problems but that is all he can do. You're on your own. I strongly stay away from Samsung. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE CRAP THAT THEY ARE PUTTING ON THE MARKET AND DON'T BACK THEIR PRODUCTS UP!

Original review: July 28, 2017

We followed directions to change the interior Halogen light bulb in our ME179KFETSR Samsung Microwave oven. We've spent over 6 hours, called at least 5 different recommended phone numbers, including 1-800 SAMSUNG, and we are still no closer to changing the old light bulb. We removed the old bulb, but our fingers are too large to install the new bulb. It must be a faulty design, but I'd say when you can't even change the light bulb, or get any help, I have bought my last Samsung kitchen appliance. I would have given a 0 for my satisfaction rating if it was an option.

Original review: May 23, 2017

Very disappointed with this model (Samsung OTR Microwave model SMH2117S). Turn table stopped working within year of purchase. This year 2017. Not 3 years past Manufactured date of March 2014. The darn thing would not work. Sometimes if we slammed the door we could get it to turn on. Did online searches and found that we should check the door latch and the door switches. Test reviewed they were good. The wiring in the left hand top of the door - seemed to be faulty. The light in the microwave and the lights on the display would go off before you even closed the door. Opened the door and jiggled the wires. It is now working. It is scary the reviews that I have read about fires for Samsung microwaves. Not recommending Samsung microwaves.

Original review: May 21, 2017

My 4-day old Samsung microwave caught fire. I spoke with Sears who held my 5-year guarantee and they talk to Samsung as it's under the 1 manufacturers portion of the guarantee. Well, I paid for a 5 year guarantee so I don't how they can weasel out of the 1st year. Samsung was no help either. Sears came out twice and refused to make any repairs.

Original review: May 13, 2017

We have had our new Samsung microwave (Model ME21H706MQS) for less than 1 month. The turn table has stopped spinning because the glass plate no longer engages with the spinning wheel which appears to have dropped down. The motor still rotates but it no longer catches the plate. When I called Samsung customer support I got a guy that spoke with such poor diction that I had to have him repeat everything 3 times. Waiting now for a service appointment. Keep you posted.

Original review: May 9, 2017

Only one year ago we purchased Samsung microwave, oven, dishwasher, and refrigerator. I was so excited for my new stainless steel appliances. Unfortunately, for as much as we paid for them, they must be cheaply made. Our microwave and refrigerator both make so much noise. It's so irritating. We can literally hear our refrigerator all the way from our bedroom at night. Never ever again would I buy anything from Samsung. Ever.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I have been reading a lot of bad reviews about Samsung, I wish I read about them before we purchased a 4 pack kitchen set. The fridge was a disaster, the ice maker continually broke down. The only saving grace for us was we bought the extended warranty. The repair company had to come so many times they finally gave up and paid for us to get a new refrigerator. Oh I forgot to say today our microwave died. Samsung STINKS, don't waste your time or money. You will regret it.

Original review: April 17, 2017

We reached out to Samsung after my built-in Microwave oven suddenly stopped working. Prior to contacting them, we contacted my warranty provider but after coughing up a service fee to a no-good electrician, we discovered the appliance is still covered by the manufacturer. Samsung of course promptly connected me to a company they use for repairs. Unfortunately both Samsung and the company are highly inefficient as the repair company gave me a 4-hour window for their home service visit but we never received a call from the company as stated in the confirmation email they sent us. We reached out to Samsung and they in turn told us to deal with it or get a life. We contacted OMB LLC for an update since the clock was ticking with no sign of a technician; this was just within 2 hours to the close of the scheduled window. We were told there is still time and asked to contact the electrician directly.

Half an hour to the close of appointment, we contacted the fella who dismissively and without any apology said he is still outside. As if this is not an appointment. When asked what that meant, he responded; "I may not make it to you until after an hour". This meant we would be home all day just for some random individual to show up late at our doorstep as he wills. We contacted Samsung again and were told it is our bone to pick with the repair company and they may choose to reschedule. Is this service? My take is if your company is overwhelmed with repair work, don't take any more than you can chew. I know of under promising and over-delivering, not the other way round. It only takes ten more of negative review before you're off the market OMB LLC. Samsung is already losing its market shares so it's no news they'd throw caution to the wind when they ought to go above and beyond to redeem their already tainted image.

Original review: April 10, 2017

We love the microwave when it's working properly. It's only 4 years old and has failed three times. Each repair was easy and cheap once diagnosed. 1) Heard beeps during the night. Eventually beeped more often and left the dreaded SE error code. Called Samsung support and they suggested unplugging the unit and plug back in after a few minutes. Effectively they were telling me to reboot it. That didn't work. Found YouTube video with the fix for this problem. The ribbon cable connecting to the touchpad goes over a sharp metal edge frame of the control panel and vibration from fan operation eventually rubs through the cable causing a short.

The fix was simple and only took about 20 minutes. I put a piece of electrical tape on the sharp metal edge and voila, no more beeping and no more SE error code. Samsung should have put a piece of slit PVC tubing on the sharp edge and this would never happen. Design problem! Cost to fix = price of two inch strip of electrical tape. 2) Door would not stay closed when shut. Found another YouTube about this. Tiny plastic tang which one end of door latch tension spring attaches to broke off. Replaced it with a tiny #4 sheet metal screw. Took 15 minutes. Cost to fix one small screw already on hand.

3) Microwave would not turn on. Online search implied could be faulty door microswitch. Testing with cheap VOM showed which of three microswitches was faulty but suspected the one that no longer clicked and rebounded when activated by finger pressure. Found exact factory replacement online for $5 with free shipping. Took less than a week to arrive. 20 minutes to diagnose and replace. Doubt that many homeowners would have attempted doing all these repairs on their own. Three service calls even with almost no parts cost would more than pay for a new microwave, most likely not Samsung LOL.

Original review: April 3, 2017

Microwave SMH9207ST spontaneously turns on when not in use. Walked in to a small fire burning in the microwave while running which spontaneously started while we were out. Entire walls of microwave were melted with some damage from heat to surrounding cabinetry. My guess is we were 15 minutes early to a full on house fire. Not expecting Samsung to accommodate.

Original review: March 29, 2017

Similar to what has been stated, our brand new ME21H706MQS Microwave unit caught fire after the 4th use. We are engineers so we caught it, put out the fire and unplugged it. We called Samsung the next day and they told us that we needed a receipt to get reimbursed. Brand new home, just built, so we had to ask builder for info. Turns out he purchased it at Home Depot who does not participate in the Samsung replacement program. They will reimburse the cost of the unit and no more; no removal or installation fee unless we have proof we paid to get it installed. So now my builder needs to invoice himself for the installation so I can get someone to remove it and install an over the range hood in its place. Even GE microwaves have reported fires and failures. Will not replace the unit and will reheat food the old fashion way instead.

Original review: March 21, 2017

Samsung 2.1 OTR Microwave SMH2117S - Sometimes only the timer works, microwave doesn't heat up anything. Sometimes the microwave comes on and go from 60 to 0 in about 10 seconds or less, then shuts off. Tried to pop a bag of popcorn. It turned on properly, then turned off, then on again, then off again, then on again, worst bag of popped corn ever. Of course Samsung doesn't fix their mess up, that bill goes to the customer. I am a customer of Samsung no more. We bought our appliances from Sears, not again. We have only had our appliances for a few years now, they should last longer. Too many complaints about this company.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Bought a Samsung over-the-range microwave from Sears. It came damaged with some dents. We figured it wasn't a big deal, we had waited months and went through a lost order hassle with Sears just to get the microwave, so we accepted what we got and installed it. Within a week of using the microwave, it started making a loud, screeching noise whenever we used it. We contacted Sears and were routed over to Samsung.

Samsung said they can't replace/refund the microwave because you have to report damage within 48 hours of receiving the microwave. Good to know for the future, but I won't be buying from them ever again. This has been an almost 4 month back-and-forth between me, Sears, and Samsung. They are willing to send out a repairman to try and fix the loud sound, but they won't do anything about the exterior damage to the microwave. They gave me a service order number for the repair service and advised I call them to make an appointment so they can see about fixing the noise.

I called the repair service and found out... oh, they don't service microwaves anymore. So now I have to call back Samsung and start the process all over again. I will never again buy a Samsung, not a fridge, not a microwave, not a TV or a phone. Never again. Same goes for Sears. At this point I'm considering eating the cost of the microwave and throwing it out just so I don't have to deal with them anymore.

Original review: March 2, 2017

We bought a new home and then went out and bought all new appliances. First time ever being able to do anything like this so we spent some good money on the appliances. The Samsung OTC SMH9207ST lasted for about 6 months before the magnetron went out. I did buy the extended warranty that paid for it the first time. Then about every 6 months or so it goes out again. This is a total waste of money and for spending over $500.00 for this thing you would assume it would last. Never buy Samsung appliances again.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

OK so we have a really nice over the range Samsung microwave that decides that it's going to turn on by itself. The microwave got so hot that the glass plate inside broke when my husband opened the microwave door. The glass almost hit him in the face when it broke. He immediately unplugged it. However Samsung believes that because the warranty is up they are not responsible to replace or repair the damage. We will see about that!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

This the 4th microwave I have had since 10/08. The first 2 were GE and needed repairs in less than a year. The Samsung I purchased for the 3rd oven lasted a number of years and I recently purchased another Samsung which was identical to the discontinued model, except it was no longer 1100 watts and some of the buttons had been moved. This oven is a good size and I "like it". Although this is a very good oven, I really wanted one that was 1100 watts. It seems they no longer make wall ovens with wattage higher than a 1000 watts.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

After 1 year the unit failed keypad locked out. Keypad unit was replaced. After 3 months the problem returned. Finally I fixed it by carefully painting the contacts on the ribbon cable with conductive silver paint. The ribbon cables used by Samsung are of the lowest possible quality and quickly oxidize in the Environmental above the stove.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

OTR Microwave SMH1713s - The unit started turning on by itself. We came downstairs and it had turned on again this time melting part of the door and creating burn marks on the interior. We have had the unit apx. 4 years. We will never buy another Samsung product again.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Worked flawlessly for 5 years so far but would like a more convenient way to reduce power for some foods, ability to run without resetting the clock after power outage and unbreakable rotating plate.

Samsung Computers and Monitors expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Samsung is a highly-rated technology company that sells a range of electronics and appliances including cell phones, televisions, washing machines and microwaves. They focus on high-tech innovation in all of their products.

• Ease of selection: The websites makes it incredibly simple to shop for a microwave thanks to various search filters. This is an ideal way to make a purchase if you know exactly what you are looking for in a microwave.

• Small to large: Samsung's microwaves range from 1.6 cubic feet of capacity to 2.1 cubic feet, making it easy to choose the very best size for your needs.

• Dual cook: Some products in the Samsung range allow for convection or conventional microwave cooking.

• Grill: There’s no need to switch between the microwave and the grill with this feature, since the grill is already included.

• Scratch-resistant: The enamel-coated interior of certain Samsung microwave models makes for a strong and scratch-resistant surface.

• Best for: Singles and couples, small families, large families and commercial kitchens.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs