Samsung Microwave

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We followed directions to change the interior Halogen light bulb in our ME179KFETSR Samsung Microwave oven. We've spent over 6 hours, called at least 5 different recommended phone numbers, including 1-800 SAMSUNG, and we are still no closer to changing the old light bulb. We removed the old bulb, but our fingers are too large to install the new bulb. It must be a faulty design, but I'd say when you can't even change the light bulb, or get any help, I have bought my last Samsung kitchen appliance. I would have given a 0 for my satisfaction rating if it was an option.

Very disappointed with this model (Samsung OTR Microwave model SMH2117S). Turn table stopped working within year of purchase. This year 2017. Not 3 years past Manufactured date of March 2014. The darn thing would not work. Sometimes if we slammed the door we could get it to turn on. Did online searches and found that we should check the door latch and the door switches. Test reviewed they were good. The wiring in the left hand top of the door - seemed to be faulty. The light in the microwave and the lights on the display would go off before you even closed the door. Opened the door and jiggled the wires. It is now working. It is scary the reviews that I have read about fires for Samsung microwaves. Not recommending Samsung microwaves.

My 4-day old Samsung microwave caught fire. I spoke with Sears who held my 5-year guarantee and they talk to Samsung as it's under the 1 manufacturers portion of the guarantee. Well, I paid for a 5 year guarantee so I don't how they can weasel out of the 1st year. Samsung was no help either. Sears came out twice and refused to make any repairs.

We have had our new Samsung microwave (Model ME21H706MQS) for less than 1 month. The turn table has stopped spinning because the glass plate no longer engages with the spinning wheel which appears to have dropped down. The motor still rotates but it no longer catches the plate. When I called Samsung customer support I got a guy that spoke with such poor diction that I had to have him repeat everything 3 times. Waiting now for a service appointment. Keep you posted.

Only one year ago we purchased Samsung microwave, oven, dishwasher, and refrigerator. I was so excited for my new stainless steel appliances. Unfortunately, for as much as we paid for them, they must be cheaply made. Our microwave and refrigerator both make so much noise. It's so irritating. We can literally hear our refrigerator all the way from our bedroom at night. Never ever again would I buy anything from Samsung. Ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsung Computers and Monitors?

I have been reading a lot of bad reviews about Samsung, I wish I read about them before we purchased a 4 pack kitchen set. The fridge was a disaster, the ice maker continually broke down. The only saving grace for us was we bought the extended warranty. The repair company had to come so many times they finally gave up and paid for us to get a new refrigerator. Oh I forgot to say today our microwave died. Samsung STINKS, don't waste your time or money. You will regret it.

We reached out to Samsung after my built-in Microwave oven suddenly stopped working. Prior to contacting them, we contacted my warranty provider but after coughing up a service fee to a no-good electrician, we discovered the appliance is still covered by the manufacturer. Samsung of course promptly connected me to a company they use for repairs. Unfortunately both Samsung and the company are highly inefficient as the repair company gave me a 4-hour window for their home service visit but we never received a call from the company as stated in the confirmation email they sent us. We reached out to Samsung and they in turn told us to deal with it or get a life. We contacted OMB LLC for an update since the clock was ticking with no sign of a technician; this was just within 2 hours to the close of the scheduled window. We were told there is still time and asked to contact the electrician directly.

Half an hour to the close of appointment, we contacted the fella who dismissively and without any apology said he is still outside. As if this is not an appointment. When asked what that meant, he responded; "I may not make it to you until after an hour". This meant we would be home all day just for some random individual to show up late at our doorstep as he wills. We contacted Samsung again and were told it is our bone to pick with the repair company and they may choose to reschedule. Is this service? My take is if your company is overwhelmed with repair work, don't take any more than you can chew. I know of under promising and over-delivering, not the other way round. It only takes ten more of negative review before you're off the market OMB LLC. Samsung is already losing its market shares so it's no news they'd throw caution to the wind when they ought to go above and beyond to redeem their already tainted image.

We love the microwave when it's working properly. It's only 4 years old and has failed three times. Each repair was easy and cheap once diagnosed. 1) Heard beeps during the night. Eventually beeped more often and left the dreaded SE error code. Called Samsung support and they suggested unplugging the unit and plug back in after a few minutes. Effectively they were telling me to reboot it. That didn't work. Found YouTube video with the fix for this problem. The ribbon cable connecting to the touchpad goes over a sharp metal edge frame of the control panel and vibration from fan operation eventually rubs through the cable causing a short.

The fix was simple and only took about 20 minutes. I put a piece of electrical tape on the sharp metal edge and voila, no more beeping and no more SE error code. Samsung should have put a piece of slit PVC tubing on the sharp edge and this would never happen. Design problem! Cost to fix = price of two inch strip of electrical tape. 2) Door would not stay closed when shut. Found another YouTube about this. Tiny plastic tang which one end of door latch tension spring attaches to broke off. Replaced it with a tiny #4 sheet metal screw. Took 15 minutes. Cost to fix one small screw already on hand.

3) Microwave would not turn on. Online search implied could be faulty door microswitch. Testing with cheap VOM showed which of three microswitches was faulty but suspected the one that no longer clicked and rebounded when activated by finger pressure. Found exact factory replacement online for $5 with free shipping. Took less than a week to arrive. 20 minutes to diagnose and replace. Doubt that many homeowners would have attempted doing all these repairs on their own. Three service calls even with almost no parts cost would more than pay for a new microwave, most likely not Samsung LOL.

Microwave SMH9207ST spontaneously turns on when not in use. Walked in to a small fire burning in the microwave while running which spontaneously started while we were out. Entire walls of microwave were melted with some damage from heat to surrounding cabinetry. My guess is we were 15 minutes early to a full on house fire. Not expecting Samsung to accommodate.

Similar to what has been stated, our brand new ME21H706MQS Microwave unit caught fire after the 4th use. We are engineers so we caught it, put out the fire and unplugged it. We called Samsung the next day and they told us that we needed a receipt to get reimbursed. Brand new home, just built, so we had to ask builder for info. Turns out he purchased it at Home Depot who does not participate in the Samsung replacement program. They will reimburse the cost of the unit and no more; no removal or installation fee unless we have proof we paid to get it installed. So now my builder needs to invoice himself for the installation so I can get someone to remove it and install an over the range hood in its place. Even GE microwaves have reported fires and failures. Will not replace the unit and will reheat food the old fashion way instead.

Samsung 2.1 OTR Microwave SMH2117S - Sometimes only the timer works, microwave doesn't heat up anything. Sometimes the microwave comes on and go from 60 to 0 in about 10 seconds or less, then shuts off. Tried to pop a bag of popcorn. It turned on properly, then turned off, then on again, then off again, then on again, worst bag of popped corn ever. Of course Samsung doesn't fix their mess up, that bill goes to the customer. I am a customer of Samsung no more. We bought our appliances from Sears, not again. We have only had our appliances for a few years now, they should last longer. Too many complaints about this company.

Bought a Samsung over-the-range microwave from Sears. It came damaged with some dents. We figured it wasn't a big deal, we had waited months and went through a lost order hassle with Sears just to get the microwave, so we accepted what we got and installed it. Within a week of using the microwave, it started making a loud, screeching noise whenever we used it. We contacted Sears and were routed over to Samsung.

Samsung said they can't replace/refund the microwave because you have to report damage within 48 hours of receiving the microwave. Good to know for the future, but I won't be buying from them ever again. This has been an almost 4 month back-and-forth between me, Sears, and Samsung. They are willing to send out a repairman to try and fix the loud sound, but they won't do anything about the exterior damage to the microwave. They gave me a service order number for the repair service and advised I call them to make an appointment so they can see about fixing the noise.

I called the repair service and found out... oh, they don't service microwaves anymore. So now I have to call back Samsung and start the process all over again. I will never again buy a Samsung, not a fridge, not a microwave, not a TV or a phone. Never again. Same goes for Sears. At this point I'm considering eating the cost of the microwave and throwing it out just so I don't have to deal with them anymore.

We bought a new home and then went out and bought all new appliances. First time ever being able to do anything like this so we spent some good money on the appliances. The Samsung OTC SMH9207ST lasted for about 6 months before the magnetron went out. I did buy the extended warranty that paid for it the first time. Then about every 6 months or so it goes out again. This is a total waste of money and for spending over $500.00 for this thing you would assume it would last. Never buy Samsung appliances again.

OK so we have a really nice over the range Samsung microwave that decides that it's going to turn on by itself. The microwave got so hot that the glass plate inside broke when my husband opened the microwave door. The glass almost hit him in the face when it broke. He immediately unplugged it. However Samsung believes that because the warranty is up they are not responsible to replace or repair the damage. We will see about that!!!

This the 4th microwave I have had since 10/08. The first 2 were GE and needed repairs in less than a year. The Samsung I purchased for the 3rd oven lasted a number of years and I recently purchased another Samsung which was identical to the discontinued model, except it was no longer 1100 watts and some of the buttons had been moved. This oven is a good size and I "like it". Although this is a very good oven, I really wanted one that was 1100 watts. It seems they no longer make wall ovens with wattage higher than a 1000 watts.

After 1 year the unit failed keypad locked out. Keypad unit was replaced. After 3 months the problem returned. Finally I fixed it by carefully painting the contacts on the ribbon cable with conductive silver paint. The ribbon cables used by Samsung are of the lowest possible quality and quickly oxidize in the Environmental above the stove.

OTR Microwave SMH1713s - The unit started turning on by itself. We came downstairs and it had turned on again this time melting part of the door and creating burn marks on the interior. We have had the unit apx. 4 years. We will never buy another Samsung product again.

Worked flawlessly for 5 years so far but would like a more convenient way to reduce power for some foods, ability to run without resetting the clock after power outage and unbreakable rotating plate.

As a great salesman once told me, "It just works!" This is what one wants when you purchase a microwave oven. We take it for granted, but it's awesome that we get so much value from a product that doesn't cost much. It has given us trouble-free performance every day of the year for several years now. Wish I could say that about everything else we've bought.

The microwave fan and over the range light go on randomly at all hours of the day. Samsung came and replaced the control panel and it worked for a while, then the same thing is happening. I called and Samsung said the warranty has run out so I would have to pay for the repair. I feel the control panel is a faulty design and since the problem reoccurs there is no sense in replacing it. The TV sound bar shuts off two times a day at random times.

I feel very good about my microwave. It works very well, always get our food very nice and warm and have never had any problem whatsoever out of it. It's the best of the best that I would highly and strongly recommend to everyone to give a try.

To begin with, it is a great microwave for the great price offered. It is small and does not take a lot of space on your counter as a lot of them are big which limits rooms for other things you might want to do with your counter space. It has a turn knob which is easy to function and does its thing until the time is up for it to stop. I got back issues and it is just right for someone like me and easy to do in one shot. I like the product I got and I hope to have helped out in this review for the rest of you.

We bought a new over the stove Samsung Microwave and it's faulty after 2 months. It comes up with error code and you cannot use it at all. This started about one month after we bought it. They keep telling us they are waiting for a part, but they have never come out to look at it. All they have is the error code which makes me wonder if this is a known fault and what happens after the warranty is over. We have had a Samsung washer that has been great. The service company keeps telling us they are waiting on a part but it's now going on 3 weeks without a microwave.

We bought the entire kitchen Samsung appliances. It's a second home with limited use. 3 months out of warranty the lights don't work on the panel. (It will still heat.) Samsung doesn't care. Local repair is within $ of a new microwave. I should have checked here before buying Samsung junk.

In reading all of the problems with Samsung microwaves catching fire I am not sure a call to Samsung will be worth the hassle. I am just thankful I was in front of the microwave and saw the flames. I will buy a new one and IT WILL NOT BE SAMSUNG. Live and learn I guess. I also bought a refrigerator and stove. Really worried about those now too. It's a good thing that the average consumer is made of money. Shame on you Samsung.

Just bought this microwave and first time using it, noticed a burning smell but I thought was just because it was new. Second time I used it, microwave went on fire. Fire stopped when we turned off the microwave. We then called Samsung who wanted pictures so we turned microwave back on with nothing in it. Again went on fire and we took pictures of the flames and the burn hole, that looks exactly like the pictures others have posted. Been in contact with Samsung for days who are still reviewing the case and whether it will be approved to send out a service guy to "repair" my burnt up microwave. I'm lucky my daughter wasn't near the microwave or we weren't defrosting something and left.

Samsung takes zero responsibility even though I could have had a house burn down or the fact we just spent nearly 10,000 on all Samsung appliances. This microwave needs to be recalled!! If you google it, so many have caught on fire, yet Samsung does nothing to warn the consumer or even try to fix the situation. Disgusted by Samsung.

Our Samsung microwave died on Thanksgiving day. Christmas has come and gone and we still do not have a working microwave. We have talked to Samsung at 800-726-7864 multiple times to get it fixed. We had their service vendor come to our house multiple times. We were told that the magnetron was under the 10 year warranty by Samsung and should be provided by Samsung to the repair vendor. Then we would be responsible for the labor only for $89. Each time the vendor came they said we were responsible for the part and all repair costs. We are now done. We will never buy a Samsung appliance again and suggest that Lowe's should not sell this product either. Incidentally, our microwave was 3 years old.

In May, 2016 we purchased a Samsung Microwave Model # ME16H702SES/A... and the rest of the number is not visible due to the fire which burned off the serial number and part of the model number. I suspect the fire started due to "electrical arcing" between the microwave housing and the door, because I had that on another model six years ago, and the arcing started while the unit was not being used. The fire started in October 2016 and we contacted Home Depot Canada, the vendor. They took the information and said someone from Samsung would be coming to look at the damage and by the middle of November 2016 no one had come.

We called Home Depot again and they told us to contact Samsung Canada for help. We did so, and on December 2, 2016 we received an email from Meyson **, asking us for a copy of the store receipt and photographs of the damaged area. On December 14 I sent the photographs, also asking him to confirm the receipt of the information. He replied the same day stating he had not received the photographs, I sent them again the same day, both times I sent them, there was no negative feedback from the email system, and this indicates the emails had gone through. On December 23 I had not received a reply from Meyson ** so I emailed him again indicating the length of time it was taking to acknowledge and repair this product, and heard nothing from him.

December 27, I called the Samsung Canada Specialty Group (where Meyson ** works) and he wasn't available so we described the problem to another support person, they said in order to help us they required an order number. Obviously they didn't know the difference between an order number and a ticket number. After 30-35 minutes on the phone with a few individuals, it was useless going forward. We called Home Depot again asking for the appliance rep in the store where we purchased the unit and he was on vacation. At this point there is little use in pursuing this through the Customer Support area so we will file an incident with the Better Business Bureau and the CSA Group since we have had more success with the CSA in the past than the vendor.

We purchased all 4 appliances from Samsung when we moved into our new home (Refrigerator, stove, over-the-range microwave, and dishwasher). A package deal from the former "Future Shop" chain. Total price was just over $4,500 for the stainless steel set. Within one year, things started to fail. The fan on the convection stove stopped one month after the warranty ended. I fixed it myself to the tune of $90. 2 years on, the dishwasher grew louder and louder. The dishes never cleaned 100% perfectly. Eventually we had to wash the dishes when nobody was home (That loud). 36 months after purchase, the refrigerator began to ice up and stopped working. Two repair bills and 2 loads of spoiled food. We gave up on it and had to replace it. Repair bills were $200. Lost groceries were $250. New Frigidaire price? = $2500+. At the anniversary of year 4, the dishwasher quit. Bosch replacement? - $800.

Now the microwave. The plastic door hook broke inside. I had to rig the tension spring onto another inside part so it would work. Then the top, plastic grill broke. The screw clips fatigued and split causing the grill to fall. Now the door won't close and the replacement part isn't made anymore. Cost to replace the microwave? - Still looking today (Probably +$500). So there you have it friends. DON'T BUY SAMSUNG.

We purchased the microwave on 5/2016 from Best Buy. 7/2016 microwave filter began to pop out randomly once hitting me on my chest, then buttons were pressed on their own as if we had a ghost. Fan turns its self on, the light goes on by itself, a code came on (Samsung comp said disconnect and connect again - WHAT!!!). Geek Squad came and changed the board panel, filter panel, door. Called Samsung company, they sent a tech who changed the SAME thing. The company refused to replace the microwave. Once all was replaced the microwave worked for 1 mo and began to malfunction once more. Now the microwave freezes, we can not press any button on the door, the microwave turns off as if it was unplugged plus all the other things that were wrong with the microwave.

I have asked to speak with the manager and all I ever get told is the microwave will be replaced if the SAMSUNG tech recommends it. Hello they work for Samsung it will not get recommended. Well the tech came today. Recommendations replace the door again. Really. That will be the 3rd time. The stove it takes a long time igniting. I was told not to cook with flour (I do not cook with flour). The fridge the ice dispenser it is very small you are lucky if you get 4 cups with ice. Icemaker sweats and drips water inside the fridge. This was the first time we purchased Samsung appliances, and it will be the last one. I should of bought Viking/Frigidaire appliances. DO NOT PURCHASE SAMSUNG APPLIANCE. They are the worst.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Samsung is a highly-rated technology company that sells a range of electronics and appliances including cell phones, televisions, washing machines and microwaves. They focus on high-tech innovation in all of their products.

• Ease of selection: The websites makes it incredibly simple to shop for a microwave thanks to various search filters. This is an ideal way to make a purchase if you know exactly what you are looking for in a microwave.
  • Small to large: Samsung's microwaves range from 1.6 cubic feet of capacity to 2.1 cubic feet, making it easy to choose the very best size for your needs.
  • Dual cook: Some products in the Samsung range allow for convection or conventional microwave cooking.
  • Grill: There’s no need to switch between the microwave and the grill with this feature, since the grill is already included.
  • Scratch-resistant: The enamel-coated interior of certain Samsung microwave models makes for a strong and scratch-resistant surface.
  • Best for Singles and couples, small families, large families and commercial kitchens.

Compare Microwaves