Samsung Microwave

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Samsung 17 Cu Ft SLIM FRY OvertheRange Microwave SS 1571002 - Bought X-mas 2013. Keypad stopped working or behaved randomly turning lights and fans on randomly or operated by a ghost. Nov 2016 microwave doesn't even power up. It's outside 1 year warranty period and refusal to replace it. My previous microwave lasted 10 years. Don't buy Samsung Microwaves.

Just installed this Model ME21H706MQS/AC microwave. Turned it on started on fire. Luckily we were right there and caught it. Samsung should be ashamed of themselves for manufacturing such product. We just bought all new Samsung appliances including stove, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer. All top of the line items. It kinda makes you wonder what sort of crap they are making. Very concerned with their quality control. Bought at Home Depot Peterborough Canada.

We purchased a Samsung SMH 9187 ST over the stove microwave in 2010. We had the keypad replaced at our cost in 2013, and are about to replace it again (November, 2016) - not what I would call very reliable. When working, it's a great product.

Samsung SMH2117S/XAC. Would expect a quality microwave to last more than 2 years. Started displaying 5E or SE error code. Called Samsung as there are many known reports of this. They stated my model not part of the recall and would offer no support. Regret furnishing my new home with Samsung appliances. Have had repairs to dishwasher and range already as well. Buyer beware!

I purchased my microwave in 2010 Serial # J4LVMOSC00753V. After about 2 years I got the infamous 5E error. I found information on the internet as to how to repair it myself. When I opened the front of the unit to access the inside of the control panel, I found that the hot wire connector was melted. I must have been very close to a fire! I replaced the connector and dried the wires to correct the 5E error. The 5E error reappeared again after a few months. I again dried the wires. To keep the story short, the 5E error appeared more and more frequently, until finally it was happening weekly. The unit is now waiting for the junk man to collect it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Samsung Computers and Monitors?

I had the vent fan working on my microwave (which is an above range microwave) because I had a stew pot cooking on the range. Supposedly this will help keep condensation down. When I went to check my pot on the range the fan on the microwave had quit and I was getting a code "5 E" on the display. I have since learned code 5 E means the keyboard on the microwave has quit due to condensation in the wiring of the microwave. My question to Samsung is...why didn't you take care of this problem before selling me an above range microwave? Did you think through the problem of condensation? Very disappointed in SAMSUNG.

Purchased a Samsung convection microwave oven for 299 Sing dollars and the very first day I wanted to bake muffins. Heavy smoke came out of the oven and filled the whole kitchen and spread to other rooms. I panicked and switched off and called the company. They said the technician can come only after two days. Then the technician arrived and said the coil has gone and replaced it. By then, the back of the oven looked all burned out. I wanted a replacement as it was on extended warranty, but the repair person said that it will not have any more issues. Tried to bake again, this time, the cake was not cooked in the middle, only the sides were cooked and it was all a mess. My previous oven was Sharp convection, used it for 9 years without any problem. I will never buy the Samsung oven again and will not recommend to anyone.

Bought new Samsung microwave (me21h706mqs) and after one week it caught on fire at the plastic piece in rear corner. Lucky we were at microwave watching or whole house could have caught on fire. Huge plastic smoke and horrible smell. Home Depot response was call Samsung. I asked them to come and take out as it is health hazard. Called Samsung, had to call three different numbers as they cannot transfer, phone technology?? Samsung was not impressed their unit caught fire and really did not care. Said they would sent tech in 2-3 days. UNACCEPTABLE.

Basically they hung up on me after I requested someone come out on Monday to remove. Do you think if this happened to the GM at Samsung they would have treated it as routine maintenance? It is now 2 hours after Samsung was supposed to be here and no word yet. Going to replace with ANY other brand than Samsung. If you look at these reviews you see many fires. Can't believe they still are selling them. Buyer beware.

In January of 2014 we remodeled our kitchen with all new appliances. We purchased a Samsung Microwave model MC17F808KDT. A month later, we started having problems. When we run it, the exhaust fan and lights come on ON their own. In the middle of the night we would hear it come on, so we unplug now to be safe. This product should be recalled. It's very dangerous!

I was home thank God but I started smelling smoke really strong and checked all over. It was my Samsung microwave burning from the inside. Door closed. Nothing inside. Hadn't even been used for a few days. Not even 1 year old. Had been serviced by Samsung first week. Was told "burnt dude".

On September 6, 2016 I was heating frozen vegetables in the plastic pouch on a microwave safe plate. When I looked up from the stove, there were flames shooting out the right side of the oven. I opened the door and threw water on them to put them out. Then I unplugged the oven. I called Samsung immediately to report this. I was told I would be contacted by a technician with 24 hours. The repair department did not call me until 2 days later and the earliest appointment available was for Wednesday, September 14. In the meantime I called the electrician to check my electrical outlets and service. Everything is up to code--prover voltage, etc. Now I am waiting for the repair tech to arrive on Wednesday. Very disappointed in this product. It was purchased the end of March this year and is even 6 months old.

Bought a microwave less than 2 months old. Numbers stopped working. Appliance store ordered new door. Second door doesn't work either. Store won't replace oven unless we try a 3rd door. Called Samsung. They said same thing. Now no working microwave. Have to wait week and a half for doors to come in.

Purchased 4 months ago from Lowe's. I wasn't even using the inside of the microwave at the time. I was using the exhaust fan for I was boiling pasta on the stovetop. Flames all in the microwave, I had to use the fire extinguisher. I am so glad I was home when this happened! My model number ME18H704SFS. So, now I have to wait to see if they will repair it... umm I want my money back not repaired. DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG MICROWAVE!!! SCARY!!!

Purchased fall 2013. Currently summer of 2016. Brackets to close door securely broke off little by little. Now won't close securely at all. Because of this, throughout the 2 years, occasionally would run when not started but had just closed door. Functioned well while cooking. Safety hazard and crap. I expected much more from high end appliance. I have sworn off Samsung!

4 Years ago I upgraded 4 of my appliances, 2 of them Samsung fridge and microwave. Fridge broke in 2013. Microwave broke this month. Called Samsung informed them it's not working and gave burning smell and they recommended to have microwave evaluated by tech which I refused (reason written below between they told me after 1 year no warranty). Went to Best Buy and bought GE microwave. Hopefully it will last long. Our TV from Samsung already broke of course. Last year when my fridge broke, I called Samsung. In short they recommended CERTIFIED technician who came and couldn't pinpoint issue (FREEZER SIDE WAS NOT WORKING, MELTING EVERYTHING). He told me it could be one of many reason and recommended to change 3-4 expensive parts plus his labor cost. I could buy new fridge comparing parts and labor cost. My opinion Samsung products don't last long. If you have money to throw, do buy them.

Bought my Samsung Microwave ME21F707MJT alongside the Samsung slide in range 2 months ago and recently installed it over the weekend. I've used it about 3-4 times to heat up some food and once before to make some popcorn. Well this time around I went to make some popcorn using the preset popcorn button as usual and went to the bedroom. After a few minutes I smelled burning smoke and sent my friend to check on the popcorn. She screamed out my name and I went running to the kitchen only to see the microwave in flames. I put it out with a wet tshirt I had used to clean something off the countertop with. Disaster averted.

Called BestBuy, BestBuy transferred me to Samsung. Samsung was more worried if I was injured or had property damage. Gave me a ticket number like others before and said I would get a call back within 24hrs. (9:15 am) Finally got a call from Samsung at around 3:00 pm the following day and again, they seem more worried if I was injured or incurred property damage. I was told that a service agent would be "scheduled" to come to my house and "service" the microwave. Yep, you read right. Service my microwave.

I told her politely that I am a loyal Samsung customer with Samsung phones, tvs, tablets, gas range and microwave, and that I DO NOT want a repaired, serviced dysfunctional microwave that caught on fire and is liable to do so again and Samsung should be happy that this incident wasn't worst than it was and that they should be more than willing to replace a burnt up microwave. She said that was not how Samsung warranty works.

I'm had a same issue with our microwave. Serial# ME18H704SFG. Interior on the rt side sparks flying out. Same issue with customer Joey from NJ... I think we caught it in time... I have called Samsung. Spoke to a guy. He gave me a Ref #. I called today 7/21/2016. I'm waiting for that call. He said he has sent my information to the repair department. I don't want it repaired. I want a different model. It's very scary. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with this. We bought ours from Lowe's Nampa.

Purchased model 4 years ago. Had all sorts of problems. The control pad "froze" up continually. Lights & fan came on randomly by itself. We had service to fix it on numerous occasions. The repairs were in vain. Could not be fixed. Samsung finally within the warranty period exchanged the unit for a new one. Well, we had the same problems. Several repairs and 3 years later, the unit "died" No power. Since the warranty expired, Samsung refused to replace or repair. A service call was $165 plus parts. We purchase a new GE microwave. Do not purchase a Samsung Microwave.

On December 27, 2013, I bought a Samsung kitchen appliance suite at The Home Depot. I made the purchase at store #6326. Unfortunately, the microwave (SMH1816S) has not performed well. The microwave does not powers on, but the timer still counts down. I do not expect a microwave to last forever. However, I do expect it to last more than 18 months.

New Microwave Caught Fire - Purchased Samsung Microwave Model Number ME18H704SFG on 07-03-2016 from HHgregg. They delivered the microwave on Saturday 07-09-2016. Used the microwave Saturday and Sunday. Monday morning 07-11-2016 my wife screamed "FIRE" so I ran to the kitchen where the microwave door was open and a flame about 4-5 inches long was jetting out from the side of the interior of the microwave. When I say jetting it was like a torch so I got the Fire Extinguisher and put it out then unplugged it. The inside wall was still hot to the touch for some time so I removed it from above the Gas Range and Sat it outside for the day. Now there is a big hole in the side wall of the microwave.

I called HHgregg and they told me to call Samsung. I called 800 726-7864, spoke to a lady there who gave me a transaction number and said a Product Specialist would call me back within 4 hours. Said I needed to call back with the serial number or I would be charged a service call fee. That return call did not happen within 4 hours so I called again and spoke to another lady who gave me a claim ticket and a service ticket and said the claim folks would call me within 24 hours and the service folks would call back the same day. I did receive a text from service saying "The repair facility has accepted your repair. ASC Phone 201-672-9502 ASC will contact you within 2 business days". Then received a call from service around 5:34 who left a message which I returned the call.

The lady also needed the serial number which I provided the next day and they have scheduled a service person to come out... today is the 12 the service person will come on the 19 between 10-2. I told her I did not want them to attempt to repair this unit and give it back to me. She said the service person would not take the unit but would take photos and send to Samsung where they would determine if it could be repaired. I told her I would not let that unit back into my home. She said "if you refuse the service then you will be left with a broken microwave." This is where I have left this issue. We will see what happens when the service person comes out.

Samsung microwave, Model: SMH1816S purchased about three years from Best Buy based on their review. A few days ago, the microwave started making humming/buzzing sound even though it was not in use. I also noticed that it was heating up but nothing was showing on the panel so I immediately unplugged and the following day, I called Samsung customer service. The lady I talked to seemed very nice and stated that she is going to create a Liability ticket -which I thought it was kind of bizarre considering that I was just calling to diagnose the issue. She proceeded to tell me that she was referring my ticket to their executive support team (sounds fancy) and that someone will contact me within two hours. Days passed and several calls from me and still have not heard from them. I am thinking about starting a "Don't Buy Samsung Crap Page" on Facebook, maybe that'll get their attention.

Incidentally, their junk of so called products is not limited to microwaves. I have a Samsung laptop (Model NP-NF310) that had the keyboard stopped working 4 months after purchasing it. I called Samsung about it and the guy told me that it was out of warranty and replacing the keyboard would have cost almost as much as the computer itself. I should have learned my lesson from that experience before buying the microwave, but the Best Buy salesman was very convincing (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me). Samsung - you outdo yourself in producing crappy junk time and again but NEVER AGAIN, will I buy a Samsung.

Short and sweet. I bought a Samsung Microwave, Gas Range/Oven, and Refrigerator 2 and a half years ago and have had numerous significant problems with all three since I purchased them. Their appliances are simply expensive junk. Samsung's warranty and customer service are worthless. Save yourself much frustration and grief - buy anything other than Samsung when purchasing appliances.

Samsung Microwave Model #SMH2117S, Serial # J65B7WOD602622A - I don't have an Order Number or Receipt because this was a gift. This over the stove model was purchased on 2014, a Mother's Day Gift from my kids to me. I am retired and on a budget so they surprised me with the stove and microwave. I was able to select the items in the store, Conn's, and I decided to go with Samsung, believing it would be the best buy. Well, I was wrong. Samsung microwave went dead on me last week, June 2016. I woke up at 5am to crackling sounds looming out in the quiet of the morning. I had heard the sound before but not as loud as this time. I stood around the kitchen dining area where I had followed the sound and waiting to hear it and again I heard the crackle and then it stopped. I was unsure and couldn't pinpoint it, so I went back to bed.

The next day I discovered my microwave was dead, all lights off. I could smell a burnt odor as I opened the door. Came to realize that was the crackling sound. I thank God that it didn't start a fire. I contacted Samsung and of course, the microwave is out of warranty and after much of almost begging on my part, they offered to pay for the parts. The service is $80 for trip and diagnosis and $80 for labor, so I'm stuck. A brand new microwave and still have to pay out of pocket for a defective appliance that now I'm not sure if I can trust to run even after a repair if it can be repaired. What a disappointment. The microwave I had before was almost 18 years old and was still working properly. I just wanted new appliances. I wish Samsung would stand behind their product and make it right. There are too many dissatisfied customers.

My fiancé and I left our home with our daughter at approximately 8 AM this morning for work. We had both spent significant time in the kitchen before leaving and the microwave (SMH9187ST) was properly functioning (displaying the time, no one had used it since the night before.) When we returned around 5:30 PM, there was an electrical smoke smell emanating in the house. My fiancé immediately followed the smell to the kitchen, where he saw our Samsung microwave was smoking and the clock was not displaying. Upon opening the microwave, we observed more smoke and the scorched insides of the microwave. The glass turn table had shattered and there was a charred hole in the rear of the interior. There was obvious scorching up the back of the unit as well as on the top.

He immediately opened the cabinet above the over-the-range microwave and unplugged it. There was no one in the house during the day, except our dog and 2 cats. The unit appears to have spontaneously combusted. After researching this model, I cannot believe it has been allowed to remain in homes this long after so many reports of damage, fire, and potential disasters. We are seriously lucky our home did not burn down with our pets inside today. Our daughter turns 1 tomorrow and is usually home with the babysitter, luckily she was not home today. I don't even want to think about how badly this could have ended for me and my family.

SE error on panel. Samsung (Allison) said there is no recall and will not do anything about it. After reading all the complaints. People stay away from their microwave/appliances. Cosmetically they look tempting but their quality is terrible/horrible. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I will spend my life with another brand such as GE which I have had for 15 years +.

I really want to share my bad experience with Samsung Microwave Model ME18H704SFS/AC. I wish I would google "Samsung microwaves" before buying one. I just read report from people who bought microwave in February 2016. I bought mine on May 2, 2016 from Best buy in Vancouver Canada. I also bought 5 years warranty on this microwave. On 28th day after purchasing we tried to warm up bowl of soup (in microwavable dish), and we felt a burning smell coming from microwave. When I opened the door I discovered a fire on the right wall of microwave. I was able to stop the fire with kitchen towel. I cannot operate this microwave any longer because it is a fire hazard in my house.

Same day I called to SAMSUNG customer service. They gave a case number and told me that somebody will contact me. Next day I called them again and they transferred me to some kind "escalation" department. The manager from "escalation department" said that if he will get pictures and receipt from me now, he will speed up the process. I emailed him pics and have not heard anything after that. On Monday, I called again to customer service. The manager told me that she could not find me in her database, she also said that they were not able to open up my pictures. I told her to transfer me to the "escalation department". After 30 min wait I was able to talk to a guy who confirmed receiving pictures. He also was able to open them up. He told me that he sent my case to the Head office.

I asked him why nobody sent me a simple email with acknowledgement of receiving my email. He did not have any answer for me. I asked him what is the reasonable time to get an answer from Head office. At the beginning he said 48 hours and then he did not know. He also said that he has no idea what kind outcome I should expect. And just to add to this story... I called to the insurance provider for Best Buy. They told me that they cannot touch my microwave because it is a factory defect which appeared in first 30 days. I am not even upset anymore. This company is a joke. Samsung really needs to get a lesson for producing dangerous and unreliable appliances and treating consumers so poorly. I will wait for 48 hours (legally you have to give them some time to rectify the situation). If Samsung will not replace their lousy microwave I will take this matter to Small Claim Court and I really want to.

I purchased and installed this Samsung SMH9187st Over-the-Range Microwave Oven in May 2010. It operated with no problems until May of 2014 when, after a short period of use, the oven would lose all power - as if the plug had been pulled. Power would restore itself after several minutes, or sometimes several hours. This continued intermittently for a couple of weeks until I had a chance to investigate further.

I disassembled the microwave. (Plastic parts in this oven are very thin and cheaply made. Although I was going slowly and carefully, I cracked the top grill in several places when removing it and had to glue it back together.) With the control panel removed, I observed two thermal cut-off switches on the bottom of the unit. One of them had what appeared to be burn marks on the plastic wire insulator. I started the microwave (with the control panel moved to the side but still connected) and noted that shortly after the timer finished and the oven shut down normally, a small spark occurred at the location of the burned insulator, and all power to the oven was lost.

Additional sparks were seen at 10 to 30 second intervals until I unplugged the unit. Upon disconnecting the wire where the spark was occurring I noticed that it had been improperly installed. The metal connector at the end of the wire (inside of the plastic insulator) had not been clipped onto the metal lug of the thermal cut-off switch. Instead, it had been wedged between the wire connector and the plastic insulator, resulting in a poor electrical connection, arcing and overheating.

I reattached the wire connector to the metal lug of the thermal switch, firmly pushing it into place so it was attached just like the other wire connection on the switch (see attached picture). That seemed to fix the problem. The bad connection must have occurred at the factory since the oven had never been repaired or disassembled since I originally purchased and installed it. After four years the plastic insulator deformed and melted enough so that the already weak electrical connection overheated enough to trip the thermal cut-off.

I checked other connectors in the oven and found a couple of others with the same problem, so I fixed those as well. So, here it is two years later and the microwave has stopped working again. I opened it up and quickly saw that yet another wire has completely burned through and is hanging loose. It's going in the trash. I can't risk having this appliance burn down my house.

We've had our Samsung microwave for almost 3 years and we don't usually use it as we'd rather use gas to cook or heat food than use the microwave. So far, it's okay and it's working for its function although the self-cleaning feature does not work well. The manual that comes along with it says the self-cleaning feature can help eliminate the odor but it doesn't seem to be working. We have to use conventional methods like using baking soda to eliminate odor trapped in the microwave... I won't really recommend Samsung microwaves if you have other and better choices.

Did not expect such a pathetic service "SAMSUNG". We have bought the Microwave thru Amazon in Dec-15. The inside light went off so lodge a complaint with the service center on Toll free no. but no one attended. After calling them to know the status the CS (customer service exec) tells me that "our engineer called on the registered number but he did not get any reply." (Which was completely false) On 2nd complaint also I got the same reply & also they said if the engineer visit it will be chargeable & for the part extra. Then I received 1 technician's Name by Sanjay & his number. When I called him he tells me our office at Byculla does not come in his area so he will not attend it. When I told him that I have received an SMS from your service center that you will attend the complaint, his reply was shocking... He said "Customer service people send sms to anybody like that." I have given a complaint 3 times but not attended yet.

February 24, 2016 - Purchased Samsung Microwave OTR Oven ME18H704SF. March 9, 2016 (Approx) Hung on wall and attached Microwave to newly install Kitchen Cabinet. March 15, 2016 - We were using the microwave for the 3rd time when it malfunctioned. The Internal electrical magnetron mechanism behind display overheated and cut a hole on the right side of the cooking box and started a fire. At the time this happened my wife was cooking a package of microwaveable veggies on the turntable. Cooking instructions were to microwave for 5 minutes on High. When there was about 1 minute left in the cycle my wife noticed a small fire on the inside of the unit. She opened the door and put out the fire. I opened the cabinet above the microwave and unplugged the unit from the wall.

March 15, 2016 - Sent email to Samsung through their website with my info, Microwave info and the information above and below: We can no longer trust this unit in our home. Please send appropriate individual to pick up unit. Please send check for purchase price of unit in the amount of $263.74 to the following address. (Home). The Unit can also be picked up at the same address.

March 18, 2016 4:50 PM. We received voicemail from Samsung-Canada notifying me that a serviceman will be out to fix Microwave on March 23, 2016. March 18, 2016 6:30 PM. I called Samsung-Canada and told them again that we do not want a service call. They should pick up unit and refund the purchase price to us. [Transferred to 2nd Customer Service individual, Carlton] I told him again that we do not want a service call. Samsung should pick up unit and refund the purchase price to us. He said he noted that in my report and someone will call me on the weekend or Monday 3/21/2016.

March 20, 2016 12:00 PM. Received call from Samsung-Canada [Andre] from Executive Customer Relations Department I told him again that this unit is a Out-of-Box failure. We do not want it repaired. We will no longer have a microwave in our house. Pick up unit and refund purchased price. Andre said a serviceman needs to evaluate unit and determine that if it is repairable or defective. I told him, "It started a fire, it's defective." March 22, 2016 - Samsung sent a Technician from Local Appliance Service to evaluated. He said it was the magnetron and the unit should be junked. Unit was taken to shop for complete review & evaluation. April 4, 2016 - Called Local Appliance Service to request status on Microwave. Lady said she believed it was finished and that she would call me back. Received call back and set up delivery for Wednesday April 6, 2016. (Samsung decided to repair unit).

April 4, 2016 - Received call from Samsung-Los Angeles 310-669-4261, she asked about a schedule change to Saturday. I told her that Local Appliance Service called me with a delivery date and I changed it from Tuesday to Wednesday. Then I told her we would not be using the Microwave Oven and I would search out other avenues for getting rid of this defective product. (She did not like what I was telling her and quickly ended the call.) April 6, 2016 - Local Appliance Service delivered Samsung Microwave with new Magnetron, Controller & Capacitor. Magnetron overheated and turned into an out-of-control Laser Gun packing 3,000-5,000 VDC with each Punch. CONCLUSION OF MY ESSAY: My wife and I never want this unit to be installed into any home. Reason being I know that the replacement parts were the same part numbers as the parts in the original unit and have an excellent chance of repeating history.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Samsung is a highly-rated technology company that sells a range of electronics and appliances including cell phones, televisions, washing machines and microwaves. They focus on high-tech innovation in all of their products.

• Ease of selection: The websites makes it incredibly simple to shop for a microwave thanks to various search filters. This is an ideal way to make a purchase if you know exactly what you are looking for in a microwave.
  • Small to large: Samsung's microwaves range from 1.6 cubic feet of capacity to 2.1 cubic feet, making it easy to choose the very best size for your needs.
  • Dual cook: Some products in the Samsung range allow for convection or conventional microwave cooking.
  • Grill: There’s no need to switch between the microwave and the grill with this feature, since the grill is already included.
  • Scratch-resistant: The enamel-coated interior of certain Samsung microwave models makes for a strong and scratch-resistant surface.
  • Best for Singles and couples, small families, large families and commercial kitchens.

Compare Microwaves