Formerly SAFE Security Systems

1.2/5 (108 ratings)

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

About A3 Smart Home

A3 Smart Home, formerly known as SAFE Security Systems, is an all-in-one home security, automation system and monitoring provider. The company’s services work with most major security systems, and it offers identity theft protection and service plans.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Works with third-party systems
    • Extra services available
    • Home automation available

Cons

• No online orders
    • Limited price transparency

Bottom Line

A3 Smart Home offers a range of security services. However, its website doesn’t include pricing, so you’ll need to schedule a consultation for an accurate cost quote.

A3 Smart Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A3 Smart Home?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about A3 Smart Home?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I have had service with this company for over 10 years; however, they changed hands in that time frame and didn't inform me that my contract renews automatically every year. I thought I was on a month to month. When I tried to cancel today, because I figured out they are way more expensive than other alarm companies, they informed me my contract just renewed 2 months ago and I had to pay the full balance for the next 10 months in order for them to cancel. I told them no way was I going to and they said fine, they'll send it to collections. I told them, "Go ahead", and then I had to go to my bank to have them do a stop pay on the automatic payment that comes out from Safe Security. The stop pay is good for 18 months.

You would think someone who has used their service for over a decade would give me a break, especially since the alarm company changed hands and they didn't inform me of the 1 year automatic renewal. She said it's in my original contract, but what contract is she talking about? Because they didn't have me sign anything when they took over. This company is bogus.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Representative came to home and said they were upgrading ADT Alarms, which I had. Said they monitored for ADT. This was 2 weeks after my husband died unexpectedly and I was still trying to figure out bills and contracts. I approved it for 2 years, turned out to be 3 and was assured if I moved as planned and they couldn't service, contract would be cancelled. Moved to Lake Havasu City, AZ and they have no monitoring available. Service to set up unit in my home would come from Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV or Palm Springs, CA and I would have to pay round trip travel time; 6 to 9 hours.

They have held me to payments for full 3 years without having service for last year and a half. If I didn't pay; I would be sued for the amount and all legal costs to get their money. Rude nasty people to deal with! I was told they were not responsible for what Representative's tell people. In this last bill, got a notice that AAA Smart Home has acquired Safe Security and gave them glowing recommendation. I can't believe AAA would hook up with a company that is as dishonest as this one is!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

What is the point of an alarm system if they won't update addresses, phone numbers, contact information. I attempted to correct the address several times and it was never completed. I terminated service but because of their ridiculous contract terms ended up "owing" for additional months for which no service was provided. Safe Security is hands down one of the worst companies I have ever done business with. I feel safer with no alarm system than with theirs.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I have had Safe for over 6 years and I recently moved and tried to cancel my service and have had the worst customer service experience ever! All of the 3 reps I have spoken to have been very rude, and refuse to transfer me their customer service department! Also they keep telling me there is not a supervisor available, 3 days straight, and they will call back, but they never do! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

At the time my 85 year old Mother thought she signed a two year deal. She didn't receive any paperwork from the Salesman who came to the house. After two years and now 87, she moved in with me "her son". Safe Security claims the 85 year old widow signed a 5 year deal. The paperwork reflects 5 years but my Mother thought she signed "on the computer" a 2 year deal. They refuse to respond to our Attorney letters and continue to bill monthly. This POS is the biggest SCAM company and would steer clear. Read and heed.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

After for almost a year of not able to set alarm due to always breaking and being charged each repair. I decided to call for cancellation after being a customer since 2015. To be on hold for literally 20 minutes. Just to be told that my contract says that automatic renew each year and will be up in August and would have to pay $500 to cancel. This was never mentioned to us when we signed the contract. Not only did not mention they said you can cancel at anytime. Very bad marketing and misleading information.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I signed up with my Original Monitoring Company, Tekna Monitoring on 5/2018. Tekna Monitoring was also working at that time with Safe Security. I kept in touch with our original Sales Rep. I called our Sales Rep. a few months ago for a new sign for our front yard, and was told Tekna Monitoring had several accounts taken over by Safe Security in a hostile manner, mine included! Our Rep. stated that he really could not tell me more than that! To date, I have still received no notification from Safe Security that they are my new company.

4 days ago on Monday 10/14/19, we were unable to set our alarm on our house. The keypad for our alarm had an error code telling us to contact the alarm company at a specific 800#. I called that number, which was a general # for Safe Security. I pressed the # option for Troubleshooting our System as our System was not functioning. I got a Rep. on the phone who looked up my account and told me that Safe Security had not received payment on my account since March of this year, 2019! I was in disbelief and panicked because $40.95 was being charged to my Visa every month for monitoring services! I told the Rep. that it must be a mistake!

Then I began to believe that somehow my Visa had been Criminally Hacked! Actually this particular Rep. believed me, I think!!! I was in tears and I begged him to help me! I asked him to ask the Safe Security Supervisor if I could make the back payments (6 months worth?) and reinstate my account. The Supervisor said no! The Rep. gave me the # of the Collection agency that would be attempting to collect. My head was spinning! Was I hacked? Collections? I have never missed a payment on anything and I have excellent credit. I did contact the Collection Company and got a Contact Person. I told him everything I knew to date. I told him that I would pay the 6 months of service that somehow did not get billed to my Visa. He did not yet have my paperwork, and said he would call me when he did.

I made 3 more calls to Safe Security Billing. I finally found out that the expiration date of my Credit card on file had expired in April, hence Safe Security was unable to bill me. I asked why no one emailed me, sent me a letter, or phoned me? The Rep. told me 2 letters were sent, and returned to them undeliverable!!! I asked what address those were sent to, and they were the wrong address!!! You think after the 1st one was sent back undeliverable, that a 2nd one would have not gone out?! I actually did not receive any phone communication from Safe Security until 9/30/19, and a woman just said her name and to call her back. I'm sorry that I did not, I receive sales calls frequently, and normally do not return them! I wish that she would have mentioned the nature of the call!

Anyway, today is October 17, 2019, and I just received a call from my Contact person at the Collection Agency. His tone was much different since I spoke with him a few days ago! He said Safe Security was charging me for the 6 months that my credit card was not charged, (I offered to pay that!), but also for the 1 1/2 years remaining on my contract! (Even though they terminated my contract on 9/30/2019 and REFUSED to let me pay them, after they did not contact me about my credit card expiring!!!) Not only Was Safe Security Charging me for the 6 months, plus the remaining 1 1/2 years, there were Late Fees and Legal Fees on top of that!!!!

The Collection Agency Rep. stated that Safe Security was much more important to them than a single individual, and that I had better pay this amount or my Credit would be adversely affected! Then, they would forward this delinquent account to yet another Collection Agency that would pursue me further!!! That "This Will Not Go Away Ms. Reed!!!! OH MY GOD!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

This company should be put on the chopping block and smash because first of all, it was sold out to another company and I wasn't notified. 2nd I never sign up for a 3 yr contract when it was first put in my home. I was told it was a month to month deal and I could cancel anytime I want and that wasn't the deal. 3rd when it was sold out to another bogus company that its employees are rude and liars. They seem like it is being ran from home based not a business; I haven't got my refund back yet from being charge when I called and went through an hassles to cancel the contract.

I asked, "why can't you put the refund back into my acct. the same way you all took it out." I was told they are not allowed to have my acct information. So how did you get the payment if you didn't already have my acct information. Come on stop with the foolishness. I wish there was a way to do a investigation on this company to see if they are legal. I really don't think they are because it seems so out of place that you can't refund my money back into my acct the same way you took it out.

Original review: June 6, 2019

We moved in 2013 and chose to keep the existing security system, but somehow got switched to Safe Security with a three year contract that they wouldn't let us cancel even though we moved a year later. I made multiple phone calls pleading with them to avoid wasting nearly $50 a month, and they refused, even threatened to sue if we didn't continue the contract. When I was finally able to cancel today, the rep told me they wouldn't make any money if they allowed people to cancel their contracts for any reason. They don't deserve your business for any reason.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Someone showed up to our door and said they needed to Update our ADT system. Turns out the guy switched our whole system and didn't say he was from Safe Security!!!! Everyone I have to spoke to on the phone has been "polite" and seemingly helpful BUT they assured me they would refund my cancellation fee to ADT and apologized for the false representation. It would be a complete hassle to change everything out again and since they offered to pay the cancellation fee we just left it! Well...here it is a couple months later and still no refund check and everytime I call they say someone will get back to me and they never do!!!! I'm so mad now and am going to file every complaint against them I can!!!

Original review: April 23, 2019

Been with this company for many, many years. My system broke down and I email them two times to send someone to checkout system but never received a email back or had a tech come out. Monthly charge just kept going up so I decided to cancel my account. Ten years earlier I had to change my phone to a VOIP system and they came out to install a wireless system to keep my business. They changed my contract so I had to commit to them for two or three more years before I could cancel.

When I canceled they told me I had to cancel on a certain month which I didn't know. I had 8 months to go before that month. Even though I was with them so many years they would not waive that fee and just gave me a small discount which was still a outrageous amount. Please stay away from this company and if you do use them read your contract very carefully as they will not inform you about their little money schemes. I see I'm not the only one with a bad experience with this company.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I began to have problems with my smoke detector in September 2015. New smoke detector sent in December. Again began to have problems. SAFE sent a technician who change the batteries that I had just installed. Problems again. Next technician could not find a problem and said to monitor. Smoke detector began to have problems. Multiple email requests produced no results. Finally, I wrote and told them I no longer wanted their security. Then, I received a call from a rep who wanted to get my system fixed. I told her, "No Thanks, your company is not getting my business".

On October 7, 2016, I contacted Customer Service and repeated my requested. The rep said all I needed to do is pay one more month's bill and we will cancel. Done. On March 13, 2019, I received a notice form Hillcrest Davidson and Associates dated February 22, 2019 that I had 30 days from the date of the letter to pay $515.00. First, why did SAFE Security wait 29 months to decide I need to pay? Second, why did the letter take 19 days to get from Hillcrest Davidson to me? Lastly, why didn't SAFE Security contact me before sending this to a collection agency? I am filing a complaint with the Maryland State Attorney General's Office against both companies. I wrote to both and told them they have 72 hours to fix this. I am not paying for shoddy business practices.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had been with my original home security company for 15 years and they sold to SAFE. Since my home had an older system I was interested in upgrading my system. They sent a third party contractor out which never followed up concerning our visit and then I was charged $105.00 for the contractor. After repeated attempts over 4 months the $105.00 was taken off of my bill. In October 2018 I changed my phone carrier which was connected to my alarm system. Apparently my phone line was not wireless thus not compatible with the current security system that I had although I was not aware of it. I called SAFE multiple times about the fact that they were not calling me after false alarms were going off. They then said they would test the system and we attempted to and we were disconnected. No one bothered to call me back to continue.

This past month I called again after they told me that I was connected but it just takes a few minutes to call and that I had apparently cut my alarm off on my own before they could call me. A test was done recently and it was determined on January 24 that I did in fact have no connection even though I have been paying for it. I recently called to cancel my service after being told that info. They told me that my contract was until January 2020 and that I was financially obligated to pay until that time or I could not be cancelled. Last fall I was told that a 60 to 90 day notice would suffice, whatever that meant.

I was told today that their policy changed as of November 1, 2018. They would work with me by giving me a 50% discount off of what I owed them. They are based in California so do NOT expect anyone to work with you or be sympathetic to the bull crap policies that they are trying to pull on their customers. I was automatically sent to this company via my previous company. So it looks like I will be paying for service I NEVER received just to be done with them. WORST experience ever!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I purchased a new home security system about 4 months ago. Several areas of the house are not properly covered by the security sensors. Despite repeated calls and Emails they will not rectify the problem. They don't respond, lie about sending a service tech and basically don't care. Buyer beware, DO NOT UTILIZE THIS COMPANY. I truly believe this is a scam.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This has to be the most pathetic company I have ever done business with. They never respond to e-mails and the phone call takes forever on HOLD then someone with NO brain cells will just put you off to the next clueless one. I have had Safe for maybe 6 years. Every time maintenance was required, the company sent me the part in the mail & I installed it. They said I live in an area with No maintenance coverage. So I did THEIR job a few times. Then in May 2018 I was in Southern Florida (about 1100 Miles) from my home and I just had a funny feeling in my stomach so I called and was told by the monitoring company that there was no signal going to the panel. They said I needed a GSM radio upgrade. The 2GB connectivity was not communicating. SAFE never advised me of any such issues & who knows how long I have been paying for the monitoring services WITHOUT the monitoring.

I mean what are they monitoring? Didn't any signals appear on their panel that mine were not communicating? I am DEAF & I NEED the services. The services have been horrible due to LACK of communication & concern. I wrote an e-mail Nov 19 to cancel services and as of Dec 3, 2018 I still have not had a reply so today I called to cancel & their reply was they would have to get cancellation dept to return my call. WHAT? I'm DEAF & cannot hear on the phone without my equipment hooked up so I NEED an idea of a time frame. They cannot even give a time frame. It is a damn disgrace that any company with these work ethics can be in business.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Beware of this company - read the fine print. After being a loyal customer for 12 years I was told in order to cancel my services, as we are moving and sold the home with the security system, we would need to pay $343 due to the "fine print" of our original agreement (signed 12 years ago) that states our contract renews yearly. In 12 years we have NEVER received a renewal notification as is the business practice of other reputable companies.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

After getting rid of my landline, I had a wireless system installed, for which I had to pay $179. I had been with this company since my previous monitoring company sold to them. Even though I had long fulfilled the original 3-year contract, I had to sign another 3-year contract for the upgrade. The system goes out whenever there's a power outage - but there's no notification from Safe. After a 2-week vacation, I came home to find no alarm. I contacted Safe and they said all I had to do was reset it. How can I reset it when I'm not home and don't know it's gone out??? I have to wait an average of 30 minutes to get through to a customer representative.

I checked out their SafeID identity protection, with no idea that they would automatically add it to my bill after 30 days. When I got that first bill, I immediately cancelled it and got a verification letter that it would stop immediately. This month I got another bill for that extra $10. I sent them an email with a copy of the letter they sent me, then I cancelled my autopay so they won't automatically deduct that amount. If this company were legitimate, they wouldn't have to resort to sneaky tactics to get your money. My monitoring service is a waste of money since I can't rely on it actually functioning. Their customer service stinks.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My elderly grandmother, unknowingly signed a 60 month contract with Safe Security. There was definitely a misunderstanding to which she felt she had been taken advantage of. I contacted Safe Security and was put in contact with Ben **. He was very courteous, helpful and provided me with the documentation I requested. After I explained to him our particular situation, he was very kind and agreed to cancel her contract.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My system has been down for two weeks. It took a week for a field tech to come to my home. The field tech stated that parts were needed and would be mailed to my home. After a week of waiting I called and asked when the parts would arrive. I was told no parts were needed. I asked them when I could expect my system to be put back on line and repaired. They were not able to answer the question and said that they would have to have someone call me the following day. It took me 14 minutes get someone on the line and the call lasted over 35 minutes. When I called them two weeks ago it took in excess of 25 minutes to get to someone. I sent a nasty email to them with no response. I am going to have my lawyer contact them have this contract canceled.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I signed a contract with this company a couple of years ago. It’s been a nightmare. Alarm sounds and they don’t call us, or call a wrong number. Break ins and they fail to call us or the police. If we call them for service, end up on hold for at least a half hour before talking to anyone. System breaks down, and no service. A total disappointment.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I receive my bill for July. There was an increase because I didn't want auto bill or pay online. I was not told this when I sign up with them. If they had told me this I never would have gotten with them. I feel I have been deceived. I would not recommend SAFE Security to anyone. I am on a fix income. I can't afford any increase.

Original review: July 2, 2018

This company has raised prices with no notifications, have extended contract with no approval and say I cannot cancel for 7 months in the future. If anyone can tell me how to get out of this chicken outfit, please do. I will do everything I can to warn others of this scam. If I die, I am 81, I suppose they will still bill my bank.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Our security system contract was purchased by Safe Security a year or more ago. When this occurred, I read many reviews and noticed a very common theme. Safe Security continued to charge credit cards/bank accounts even after contacts were null and void. Based upon this information, I chose to delete my credit card information and send my payment directly from my bank account. Fast forward a year later. Safe Security started charging me a $2.50 fee for not being enrolled in autopay. There was no warning. When I called to discuss the additional charges every month, I waited on hold for an extreme amount of time. I spoke to a representative who could only explain the reason for the charges and not why it happened when it did. She transferred me to a supervisor and I had to wait an additional amount of time.

The supervisor explained that I had agreed to autopay and therefore they had the right to charge a fee for not remaining in autopay. Might I add, they have received their payments every month ON TIME. At this point I am still not on autopay. I expressed my frustration and of course they will “pass the information along” and “document what they explained to me in the chart.” I spent a total of 1 hr and 21 min (maybe spoke to a live individual for 12 of those minutes) and had nothing resolved. Once my contract is up, I am taking my business elsewhere. Horrible, horrible company.

Original review: April 20, 2018

We are still paying with auto deductions through bank for a security system that we do not have. May 2015 we agreed to the install and I was under the impression from the agent who talked us into the system that we could cancel at any time if we did not like it. WRONG! The contract was for 60 months! We sold our house where it was installed November 2016 and according to my wife who handles the payment the company rep told her it is a 5 year contract. So unless the new owners of the house took over the contract at our old house that has the equipment installed in we are paying for a system that we do not have. How can this be so? Why were we not advised instead of paying for an alarm we no longer had that the system could be transferred to our present house seeing that we have to pay for the 5 years?

After a discussion with SAFE rep, it was found that they cannot relocate the equipment to our new house as they have no techs/support in our area. Wonderful (I thought) a good way to get out of 2 more years paying for no system... WRONG... The rep said the contract was valid only for the location it was originally installed at!!! This is after we have been in our new house over 18 months and still paying for equipment at our previous house. The new owners of our previous house would not take over the contract and we are still stuck paying for equipment we do not have and cannot be relocated due to the area we are now in.

What the heck are we supposed to do now? I mean this company really really is bad when it comes to working with customers. I did find a clause that I will list below though. Can someone tell me if this is a valid reason to not pay for 2 years of monitoring? (From contract) "16.2 After making full and timely payment of 12 consecutive months of invoiced SAFE monthly bills, but prior to the expiration of the Initial term; Subscriber may elect to terminate this Agreement (“Early Termination”) by notifying SAFE in writing and paying SAFE a $350.00 “Early Termination Fee.” Subscriber may not elect to terminate this Agreement prior to Subscriber’s paying to SAFE the first twelve months’ of SAFE’s invoiced monthly bills in full." I also see they do not have a license in Idaho? Does anyone know if this is the case? Then the contract we signed may be null and void is what I can work out.

Original review: April 3, 2018

In 2009 in Drumheller, AB we signed a 36 month contract with Pinnacle Security for monitoring our home. In 2012 we moved out of province to British Columbia, I contacted Pinnacle at that time by both phone and following up with a written letter to cancel the monitoring services, we had satisfied the contract and no longer needed the service, we sold our home and moved. At some point Pinnacle sold contracts to SAFE Security and SAFE Security continued to draw money from our account every month. Despite repeated calls to the company and assurances from their reps that there would be no more draws from our account they still continued, to the tune of over $2300.00. Nothing we could say would deter them from dipping into our account monthly.

We finally had to actually change our bank account to stop them drawing monthly. We place a stop payment on them but still they attempted monthly to get money. We had no system from them, they monitored nothing. I guess they just liked the free money. I did file a claim in small claims court in Kelowna and the hearing was heard on June 30, 2017 and won the claim and was awarded $2489.00. Of course needless to say this company has not coughed up the settlement money and has avoided all emails and other communications from me asking for my money back. It been 9 months now and still I have not recovered a cent. Stay away from this company, most highly unethical company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We have used the same security system for 19 years but have seen four new owners over that time, the last being Safe Security. We had an auto-bill pay set up for years. Out of the blue we get a letter threatening collection for failure to pay $60.44 in fees. We inquired and I quote from a letter we sent to them, "The conduct of Safe Security measured against prior ownership leaves much to be desired. Apparently, with the number of complaints and lawsuits mounting into the hundreds, as found on the web, it would seem we are not alone. After review our contract, I requested copies of said notices which are required before any change in fee and you (contact) admitted there were none ever sent and none available. You could not even tell me when and for what the charges covered.

"Secondly, you told me very clearly and forcefully that we could not cancel before the month in which our contract became effective, July 3rd of each year. Again, I pointed out this was also a breach of our contract agreement. You returned our call with the fact senior personnel agreed we could cancel. You also requested we return our contract and we declined." We paid the amount claimed as it was not worth our time but also noted the collection agency is owned by them. To us, Safe Security should not be licensed to operate in the state of Washington. I would never recommend them, not even to my worst enemy. The contract is dated.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We've had nothing but issues since trying to cancel our service in August 2017. We were told we had to opt out for over $300 which we did. Then we get another bill and call and they say we have to cancel in writing, which we did. Then we continue to get bills, we call, their representatives are rude. I'm giving them one more chance to update my account and then I'm filing a complaint with the Texas Attorney General's office. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have spoken with representatives to cancel our account, I have sent three letters of cancellation and I've been told they "can't find them". I've sent the last two by mail that can be tracked and they can't find them? I even mentioned something on their Facebook about this and they said they would look into it and of course I've never heard anything about it. I don't even have their services anymore and I'm paying for absolutely no services at all! I'd give this company no stars if I could! This was installed in our home over 4 years ago, the installation was fine but being charged for repairs of nearly $100 was outrageous and of course being billed still for no services still gets me mad. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I paid off my account with this company. I have sent two cancellation letters and talks to numerous people and they continue to try to withdraw their monitoring fees from my checking account. I have done everything they asked me to do in order to cancel my account, however they continue to send me invoices requesting payment. I now have put a stop payment on my checking account so they can no longer get their fees from my account. I have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. My advice to anyone is to steer clear of this company at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We have had security system for about year now. From the minute it was installed it has increased my sense of security 10 fold. It is very user friendly and well worth the monthly fee. Before system was installed I was made aware of the 3-5 year contract, which standard after researching other competitors.

A3 Smart Home Company Information