LG Dryers
1.39/5
Based on 197 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a washer and dryer?

LG Dryers

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

246 LG Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2012

We purchased our washer and dryer in July of 2012. So far, the washing machine is doing what it's supposed to. The dryer, that's another subject! It has stopped drying clothes now twice. We had it serviced in late October 2012 and was working fine. Then on December 4th, 2012, it stopped drying again! I called LG, who was absolutely no help! I purchased the extended warranty and it's not worth it. My advice is to run. Do not look at any LG products. I even wrote the company and haven't heard back as of today.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2012

It has been just 2.5 years since I got my new washer and dryer, and now the dryer drum is cracked and making thumping noise. We just ran out of warranty. I have seen several complaints related to this. Is LG doing anything about this? I had recommended LG to my friends, but I am going to call them and let them know to not buy LG washer/dryer.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 24, 2012

I started noticing small holes in my clothes, which baffled me. I’m worried that maybe we had moths, so I took out all of my clothes, emptied the closets, re-washed, and dried them. Now, all of my clothes had holes in it. I did some research online to discover that cracked drums in LG are fairly common :( I looked inside my dryer, and lo and behold, there was in fact a crack, and the crack was what was ripping all my clothes. LG was bought at Home Depot. I had to wait over a week to get someone in to fix it. All my clothes are ruined. I will never buy LG again. Also, the washer gets stuck on 9 minutes any time you wash towels, and it routinely overflows with soap even if I use HE detergent and fill it to well below the "normal" level indicated in the soap receptacle.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2012

We also purchased LG washer/dryer (high-end stainless steel). Washer is ok, but we have experienced same problems as many others. The dryer LG Tromm DLE2501 never dried clothes correctly. It takes 90 minutes to dry an average load of clothes. An "energy star" product it is not. The repair guy gave us the same ** about the vent being dirty or clogged. Never was the case. Actually it sounds like the repair guy was reading off a script. The second time to the house, the repair guy stated that the dryer was operating as designed. The real problem is that Home Depot is selling this stuff. Home Depot's reps are promoting this stuff, and LG doesn't stand behind their product. Drum is cracked, and the lint stays trapped.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2012

LG stackable washer/dryer, apartment size, high end - I thought! Two years later, a bunch of drywall have been replaced due to a bad washer install (Best Buy) and 5 visits later from the service team for the dryer, I am tired. No more LG anything ever. The dryer is so poorly designed (it's the vent less model - don't buy one) that it takes a team of techs to pull the unit out of the area it's in just to press a button to reset the thermostat. It's had three new computer boards in 2 years. The techs pulled the dryer all apart last visit and replaced the entire thermostat rather than just reset it. That was a couple of months ago and it just went south again today. It overheated then stopped dead. I am lucky I bought a service contract from Sears. They have been great, but I hope they just replace the unit soon. It's costing them a fortune to repair. Cheaply made appliances are keeping many techs employed these days it seems. LG? No, never again. And yes, their help desk was useless when I had the 1-year warranty. Now poor Sears has to come out and visit more often than I want them to come. I don't understand why any appliance store would stock items that repeatedly fail.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2012

I have had my LG Front Load Dryer DLG5988W for some time now and never had any problems. Well then one day, it started getting loud as though it was out of balance. I looked at it and noticed that the drum had cracked. I find this ironic because I did a web search on this and I found so many pictures of this same exact crack. Mine look identical to all the others I found on the web. With so many complaints and cases of this happening, this should be a recall. It is right at the weld. I have contacted them and they have told me it only has a one year warranty on the drum, so I would be responsible for replacing the drum.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2012

There is a serious quality issue with the LG drums. My drum cracked after 6 months of very lights use. I removed the drum and found out that it is extremely thin metal. This is a common problem, in which the drums are cracking at the seams. I think it's a couple of hundred dollars to have it fixed. I'm staying clear of all LG products in the future.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2012

The dryer scorched 3 loads of laundry and smoked. I could not get anyone to answer the phones. I called and called and at times let the phone ring 5 minutes. Then, it would be busy for an hour at the time… What kind of scam are they pulling at LG?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2012

Do not ever buy an LG washer or dryer. Within two years, both my front-loading machines stopped working and LG will cover none of the repairs. Save the money and buy something that is worthwhile. I was on hold for hours with customer service, and each agent I spoke to had a different response, always ending with "We will be back to you within 48 hours," which never happened. I spoke to management, who put me on hold for another hour and ended with "Sorry, we can't help you." I still have a dryer that won't work!

Original review: July 24, 2012

Recently, our DLG6988s dryer (part of a combo) stopped heating. Everything seemed to be working, but no heat! We called the point of purchase (POP) company. We had purchased a 4-year extended warranty program with them. The company provided a work order for repair. The repair diagnosis, full replacement as there had been a fire because the lint was not leaving the dryer but instead, getting in around the drum and the harness was damaged. There was no lint in the tube, none in the lint catch area. It was around the drum instead. No repair could be done. According to the repairman, who has seen this before, this is apparently is a problem with LG gas dryers of this model, which they no longer make, and a report was sent to LG.

LG informed us that since we had purchased an extended warranty, the POP company would look after us. We went back to the POP company and their extended warranty department told us that the dryer credit would be prorated and we would be given in-store credit to spend on a new dryer. We looked at dryers and to purchase a comparable dryer to the one we have now. The total cost, including extended warranty, is now another $706.00 over and above the credit we were given. We contacted LG regarding the dryer and the customer service rep told us they would not replace it since the LG warranty was up. The POP company will not replace it, but would give us the credit, take it or leave it.

We did not cause the fire. We cleaned our machine diligently of lint. There was no lint anywhere other than in the drum area. They are removing the dryer tomorrow, however, I would like to prove to LG that this defect is their responsibility and the dryer, which is less than 5 years old, should be replaced. The downside would be it would be another LG product. We will never buy another LG product and I urge you to do the same. Because of the offshore parts problem with LG, any repairs that can be made can take more than 5 weeks and their customer service is unsatisfactory to put it mildly. Do your homework before purchasing anything from this company!

Original review: July 23, 2012

LG dryer electrical connection holder - The screws were torqued so hard I could not loosen them without using a nut driver crescent wrench and channel locks. Then, of course, the holder broke. Now all I want is a one time courtesy replacement of the part and was told it's my problem because I chose to change the plug. Of course, the LG video on changing the part makes it look like a 6 years old could do it.

Original review: June 27, 2012

2 year old LG dryer, electrical problems inside the unit. It is sickening to read about so many problems with LG and service. I don’t plan to pay for more than this first repair. It will be on the curb. Get me Hecho En Mexico products, not China.

Original review: May 18, 2012

The dryer stopped drying and it’s just a few weeks out of the manufacturer’s warranty. I called the extended warranty that I purchased and they sent a tech out. He said the heating unit needed to be replaced and ordered a new one; but in the meantime, he did something to get it heating and the dryer worked fine for the week. He came yesterday to replace the heating unit, but now he claims that the power cord is fried and I need to call an electrician. This dryer worked perfectly fine with the power cord and the outlet up until yesterday when he attempted to replace the heating unit.

LG insists that they cannot give me any information because it’s out of warranty and that I must instead deal with the extended warranty company. So I guess it’s okay to take my money when I have a dryer that does not work one year later and have to pay an electrician? Does it seem reasonable that a dryer works properly and is kept in good working order and used in the manner in which it is intended and immediately after a tech attempts to install a new heating mechanism, it suddenly blows and the power cord is melted? Everyone is passing it back to me that I have to get an electrician. No, I think LG has a problem with heating mechanisms and the tech did something incorrectly.

Original review: April 26, 2012

We purchased our LG front loading washer and dryer in 2009 from Sears. The dryer model is DLE5955W and it worked beautifully for the first year. Then, all of a sudden, the machine began to cut off mid-cycle and will not dry the clothes completely - particularly on permanent press. We called Sears tech support since we had purchased a 5-year extended warranty on the machine. The technician came out and replaced the ETC board and sensor for moisture. The machine seemed to work for a while, and then the same problem occurred again. This time, they replaced the central board and PLB assembly. A few weeks later, they diagnosed the machine had a sensor failure. Each time, the technicians appeared puzzled and were on the phone throughout the service. While they were very nice, they were unable to fix the problem which continues to persist.

This past week, the tech said it’s another sensor and control panel. But when he arrived to replace it, he was told by their technology support team that he didn't have the authorization to install the received part. That phone technician indicated that our ceilings in our home were too high and that the cause of the problem was a venting issue. What we soon discovered was that Sears has a policy that if their technicians aren't able to repair the machine after 4 visits, we are entitled to a new machine under the lemon law. This would have been the 4th visit. My husband spent 2 hours on the phone and was passed through every employee in Sears, including their department that determines if the product is a lemon. We've been buying our home appliances from Sears for nearly 40 years - what a crock of **.

Original review: April 25, 2012

I purchased my LG Steam Washer and Dryer on 11/26/10 from Home Depot. Thankfully, I purchased a 4 year extended warranty. Now a little over a year later, my dryer all of the sudden stops heating. I made a phone call to Home Depot on March 23rd and they contracted the work out to Appliance Solutions of Utah. When they came to do repairs, they said the dryer needed a new thermostat, the part needed to be ordered and they would be back in 3 days to do the repair. Two weeks go by and never heard from the repair guy and he never showed up on the day he said he would (I took the day off work so I could make sure I was here). Finally after 3 weeks, he showed up claiming they got sent the wrong part he replaced the thermostat and was on his way. Five days later (3/28/12), the heating on my dryer went out.

I once again called Home Depot. They got the same company out. The very next day, the guy replaces the same part, the thermostat and then tells me that there is nothing wrong with the dryer. He said that I need to get my ducts cleaned out and that I can just use my dryer unhooked from the wall until I get that done. I used my dryer unhooked from the wall and once again, a week later, the heating goes out on the dryer. So, I gave Home Depot a call. Three days later, the same company shows up. Now he's claiming my dryer is out because it's not hooked up to the wall but he needs to order a new thermostat again so it can once again get replaced.

The repair man said he would be back in 3 days. Over two weeks have passed since he said that, I haven't even received a call from the company and he just left my dryer in pieces in my laundry room. I can barely get in there. I am completely fed up with this worthless dryer, Home Depot, and Appliance Solutions of Utah. I don't think LG should be able to get away with selling these fraudulent dryers to people anymore and apparently no one knows how to repair the dumb things so they don't continue to have these problems.

Original review: April 18, 2012

The LG gas dryer that I purchased from Best Buy on 11/26/2011 and didn't receive until 12/1/2011, has been out of service since 4/3/2012, because the dryer is not igniting. I called Best Buy and because I didn't purchase "their" black tie warranty and it has been past their 30 day exchange period, Best Buy will not exchange my dryer.

I called LG. They referred me to A-Reliable Appliance Service out of Chattanooga, TN. I called A-Reliable (what a joke) on 4/3/12, scheduled appointment for 4/5/12 and they ended up coming on 4/4/12 to see what was wrong with my dryer. A-Reliable ordered parts and replaced on 4/10/12. I work Mon-Fri 8-5, 30 minutes from home. I have to arrange for someone to meet them at my home for repairs. My mother-in-law met the service tech for them to repair my dryer.

The service tech replaced sensor and thermostat valve, the dryer was still not heating after 15 min. of running and the tech left my home without dryer working saying that it was fixed. I'm no genius but I can figure out that if a gas dryer is not hot after 15 min. of running, that obviously it's not fixed. I called A-Reliable on 4/11/12. I was advised by Larry that his service tech was going back and forth with LG trying to figure out what is wrong with my dryer. I called Larry on 4/12/12, still same response. I called Larry on 4/13/12, still same response.

I called LG. I was advised that A-Reliable Service had not been in contact with them since 4/10/12. I was told that they were supposed to have replaced an electronic control panel which was not done by A-Reliable. I asked about the manufacturer's exchange and was informed that the service provider had to do what they were informed to do before that would even be considered. A-Reliable was to call me on 4/16/12, to advise when they would be out to fix my dryer. Guess what, no call. I gave them benefit of the doubt. I called Larry at A-Reliable on 4/17/12. Part was still not in, it should be there today. They will call me back to let me know, no call. Morning of 4/18/12, I called Larry at A-Reliable and part still not in should be there today. I called LG customer service and spoke with a representative. They called Larry at A-Reliable Appliance Service and found out that the part has not even been ordered.

I have been lied to by Larry at A-Reliable Appliance Service since 4/11/12. This is ridiculous. A-Reliable is causing LG to lose customers because of the simple fact that they are not responsible or knowledgeable in repairing appliances. I filed a formal complaint with LG. I spoke with an executive service representative to advise the situation. She advises me that she will address this problem and get back with me and resolve the problem with the dryer that is not working!

Original review: March 6, 2012

I bought an LG dryer 4 years ago and have already had it repaired twice. Only once was it under warranty. Now, my dryer was making large clunky sounds as it turned. I called the repair company that was used under the warranty and they came out to look at it. They found the drum to be cracked at the weld. I looked that up on the internet and found several other complaints for the same problem. Well, I immediately called customer service and talked with them. The gentleman I talked to said that he would email me the paperwork so that I could make a claim. Well, the email came in without a claim number which I needed to attach the pictures and original purchase receipt. Well, the email came without a claim number.

I emailed them back and was told I needed to call customer service. Two days later, I get a phone call telling me that they wouldn’t cover the cost of a new drum because I already had it replaced. Mind you, this was two weeks after the initial call. Well, needless to say, they refused to reimburse me because I didn’t want to wait for them to send one of their repair people out to look at it so they could charge me another $80.00 just to look at it on top of the $50.00 already paid to another company to find the problem. For supposed to be top-of-the-line appliances, they are nothing but problems. I would not recommend buying any LG appliances whatsoever.

Original review: March 6, 2012

We purchased our set (LG Tromm DLG8388NM Washer and Dryer) in 2006 and for the first two years, everything seemed to work well. But now, the washer leaks, the drum is corroded with black disgusting gunk that is difficult to get to let alone clean. The clothes stink even after washing them twice, with bleach and fabric softener. The dryer spins but there aren’t any heat. We spent over $2,500 on the set from Home Depot and have been disappointed to say the least.

We also had a bad experience with an LG dishwasher and refrigerator. Both had to be replaced a year after purchase. We spent a total of $6,500 on LG products and they have not lived up to their Life's Good name. My suggestion is not to roll the dice with any of their products because you will be angry and frustrated.

Original review: March 3, 2012

My drum cracked like a lot of others did along the front seam. I ignored it for awhile until the noise got too loud. I took the drum out. If you do this, keep track of the sequence that the parts came off and what screws go where. It's not that hard to do. I cut a thin piece of sheet metal to cover the crack and along the outer rim of the drum, drilled 5/32 holes and pop riveted in place. I ground down the pop rivets so they wouldn't catch on the clothes. The dryer is back in service and the total cost for the repair was $2.75. But have no doubt about it, LG products are nothing but cheap overpriced junk. Do not buy!

Original review: March 1, 2012

LG Dryer: Very disappointing. It's less than 7 years old, and it requires a new motor. There are only two of us, so it doesn't get hard use. I thought I was buying quality and dependability. I was wrong.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2012

I also bought a pair of LG appliances (washer and dryer). What a mistake, to say the least. I cannot even find service for these appliances in my area, due to the low quality of this product. It takes 3 cycles of 1:10 minutes to dry a normal load of clothes. I have to add vinegar to a load of sweats, to help with the smell. That is on top of a fabric softener. My towels also smell horrible, after washing and drying. My units are less tan 5 years old, and I have wasted over $2,000 on these low performance items. My life Is not good with these LG appliances.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2012

My LG TROMM gas dryer I bought 2005, just burned up last night. It was a fire that started where the gas line connector is. The dryer had only been running for about 20-30 minutes. Luckily, I happened to go into the laundry room and stop it! We could have lost everything. Also, the dryer never worked very well. It took 90 minutes to dry a regular load of towels.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2012

I purchased the item on May 28, 2010. Now, when I use it, I smell gas. I made a call to the Gas Company to check the line. It turns out the dryer is malfunctioning. This product isn't even two years old yet. I spent $600 on this appliance. What a waste of money! On top of it, the first customer service representative wasted a week of my time. They had me fax (to the wrong number) a form from the Gas Company confirming that it is an appliance malfunction. I called back only to find out that I need to either have an LG certified appliance repair shop fix it, or requested an extended warranty from LG. I will never buy a product from this company again. $600 did not even reached two years worth of use. Unacceptable and horrible customer service on top of it!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2012

My LG dryer will not spin, it just hums when 'start' is pushed. It turns out that LG poorly designed the motor. The switch on the motor is not being made because some idiot put hard springs on soft aluminum and they wore through and fell off. The only thing can be done is replace the motor at a cost of $350. Also, the thing does not dry that well either when it is working. Don't by LG-- piece of junk.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2012

When a sheet is drying in the dryer, it wraps itself into a big tube and rolls around the drum that way. The outside becomes bone-dry; the inside remains wet. LG says that's the way the dryer works. To improve the situation, I should go to the dryer when it happens, open the door, pull out and shake out the sheet, put it back in and begin drying again. Within a very few minutes, the sheet becomes a tube again! Do not buy an LG dryer!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2012

We also purchased LG washer/dryer, high end stainless steel. Washer is ok but we have experienced same problems as many others. The dryer LG Tromm DLE3777W never dried clothes correctly. It takes 90 minutes to dry an average load of clothes. An "energy star" product it is not. The repair guy gave us the same ** about the vent being dirty or clogged. Never was the case. Actually sounds like the repair guy was reading off a script. The second time to the house, the repair guy stated that the dryer was operating as designed. The real problem is that Home Depot is selling this stuff. Home Depot's reps are promoting this stuff and LG doesn't stand behind their product. Two options: contact the Better Business Bureau in your state (they are usually really good) and the second option is contact your state Attorney General. LG is selling a defective product and that, in every state, is fraud.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2011

LG finally did it! I will never buy anything that says LG on it. My LG Tromm DLE5977S bought at Home Depot and a crake in the stainless steel seam appears to get bigger and noisy. Please help.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2011

I bought LG WM3988HWA washer/dryer combo in 10/2/08, from Overstock.com. It stopped drying and showing FE Error. I paid $89 to diagnose and $960 for changing the bad control board. After many calls, LG now says they cannot extend warranty only because the purchase was from an unauthorized source!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2011

My dryer is only 2 years old, but the drum has a big crack and I can't use it any more. I call to request for service, but they said I have to pay for a replacement of a new drum. What? My question is why do I have to pay for a defective product? That's ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2011

Zero stars would be more like it! I have had an LG Steam Dryer for 2.5 years. It has never worked. I fortunately did purchase the Extended Service Plan from Home Depot. I have had it repaired 6 times and that's 12 service calls. It will heat a little for a few weeks and then stop working all together. The 6th repair, it didn't even heat the day the repair was done. Since then, I've called numerous times and Assurant (the provided for Home Depot's service plan) won't get back to me, won't send anyone to fix it, won't start a claim. I see it falls into the Lemon Law but if they can drag their feet for another month, one of the repairs falls off and then it isn't the Lemon Law any more.

They refuse to do anything to help. I've called Home Depot Corporate to see if they would do anything to help and was told "no, you need to work with Assurant". I have also called the Gas Company to look at it to make sure it was hooked up correctly to begin with. It is hooked up correctly but they said the flame is so huge that it's a total fire hazard and is now completely unhooked. So I'm left with a $1200+ piece of junk and no way to dry any clothes. I will never shop at Home Depot nor will I buy LG anything again. Don't believe reviews that say LG is in the top for dryers because believe me, they are all junk!

LG Dryers Company Information