LG Dryers
1.39/5
Based on 197 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a washer and dryer?

LG Dryers

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

246 LG Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 30, 2015

My LG clothes dryer (model #DLEX5170W) stopped working during my first year of ownership. That was just the start of my problems. Getting someone in customer service @ LG was another part of the problem: they put the burden on you and told me I didn't have enough electric power (I had plenty) & had to hire "a certified electrician" and get more power. The electrician (at my cost) said I had plenty of power. Called LG back and they still had me jump through hoops but finally set up an appt. with "Jimmy's Same Day Appliance" to come to my home one afternoon, LG said, between 1 and 7 on a Friday. He never showed and never called. (I have caller ID, so I know he never called)! What a waste of time.

LG set up a 2nd appt. for the following Monday with the same guy/co. to come between 11-3 and at 12:30 he called to say his daughter fell at school and hurt her arm and he was going to the hospital and doubted he would make it today. At least this time he called. I called LG....another ten to twenty minute call, and requested a different service tech, and got one for tomorrow between 1 and 5 pm. What a nightmare. Had I known LG products break down during their first year and that customer service is so difficult I never would have bought their product! Never will again!

Original review: March 24, 2015

I purchased this dryer a year and a half ago. The problem that we have been encountering is that the clothes or bedsheets we dry always get caught in the lint trap. They will spin around each other, twist each other, stretch out and each time just makes it worse. It has ruined a lot of our clothes already since then. Worst of all, when I did my last laundry drying my bedsheets recently, I found the dryer door wide open by itself (no one touched it or opened the dryer) and all the sheets are all tangled up and twisted giving me more work to do. I was so shocked to see this. One piece of advice, never leave the dryer unattended if you're drying anything. Such a lousy product. Not worth my money. Too scared for my older children to use this when I am not around to supervise them. I am honestly not happy and dissatisfied with this product.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: March 5, 2015

Bought an LG DLGX5681 (white) at Lowe's on 7/7/14 and on 3/1/15 it just stopped spinning. Only washing maybe 6-8 lbs of wet white clothes straight from the LG washer, which seems to do well. I got one revolution after I turned it on and off and manually changed the load from medium to load, but only one spin before it cut out again. Do NOT buy LG. I read the consumer reports. I purchased based on their recommendations. Don't buy consumer reports. I think they're being paid.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

This is our 2nd LG dryer same model in 40 days. The same problem has occurred with each one. Dry cuts off and will not cut back on. We purchased it from our local Home Depot which have done everything they can to make right what LG has not. LG should be shut down for making lousy products that fail to work. I feel like the Better Business Bureau should be involved and shut down this company from taking innocent consumers money. My husband and I have missed 3 days from work to meet A&E repair company to work on our dryer. If it weren't for the manager at Home Depot, we would have no one to talk with since LG doesn't give a rip. Why does Home Depot continue to carry such a horrible product line? PLEASE...PLEASE, Do not buy LG products. They are a rip off and this dryer may cause your home to catch fire.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

I bought brand new DLGX5102W in 2011 (I had a Kenmore that was still working when I replaced it after over 20 years and that was a handy me down - and never had that repaired once but wanted the bigger capacity). Two years later in 2013...the power would turn on but drum wouldn't turn... Had that repaired, costs approx. 300.00 in total... Now the power turns off and the drum keeps going. And LG service dept stinks. They charge 100.00 just to come out to look at it, and then you have to pay for them to come back again to fix it. Doesn't anyone stand behind their product anymore? Oh, and the washer smells... When that breaks, I won't even try to repair it. Think I will cut my losses and buy a different brand, Kenmore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

I apologize for the wordiness of this, but our situation has been going on for a long time. If I pay $800.00 for a product, and that product fails, I expect a refund. With LG, it doesn't work this way, apparently. I am so sorry I ever bought an LG dryer. I have a dryer at a rental that is over 23 years old. Not a problem; works like a charm. All I want now is a simple dryer with two buttons: on and off. No songs, no flashing lights. We purchased our LG dryer (washer and fridge too!) in June 2014. All three were delivered July 14, 2014. On November 21, 2014, the dryer stopped working. By that I mean that when you pressed the button to run a cycle, it sat there blinking at you and the drum did not turn. Hence begins the ongoing nightmare of 1) trying to speak with an actual customer service rep and 2) scheduling a service tech to come and fix it.

On November 28th, an "LG authorized tech" came out. He couldn't fix the dryer and needed to order a part. Being a Friday, the part was not ordered until December 1st. December 17th, almost a full month since our dryer stopped working, the tech came out to fix the dryer. After spending two hours, he turned it on and it gave us the same symptoms. The tech then remarks, "Hm. Looks like the installation did not account for propane. You need a propane conversion." Really? They tell us now? Why not during the initial installation? Why not the first time the tech came out? And this has to be at our expense of course. We are now heading into the holiday season. Family coming to visit. No dryer. We have by now spent gas money, our time, extra planning on when we can drive a load of wet clothes eight miles into town, and scrounged around for cash for the dryer loads.

We paid the "LG authorized tech" over $200 to convert to propane. He did that conversion January 13, 2015. Two weeks later, on January 27th, the dryer failed again with the same symptoms as November 21st. My husband and I by now have spent hundreds of hours on the phone with LG and with Home Depot. It was around this time that we decided we wanted a refund. On one occasion, I asked for a manager (I was getting tired of repeating my story), and twice got cut off. This in one day. I called the tech company myself to schedule a repair. They know who we are by now and I asked them to please escalate!

February 2, 2015: The tech comes out and can't fix it. It needs yet another part! We are furious and frustrated and tired of having to reschedule our lives around laundry trips. If Home Depot cannot sell a product for which the manufacturer stands by, then why do they sell it? February 4th. The Home Depot person I have been speaking with finally got me a phone number and a real person at LG. (My notes have at least six different phone numbers.) The LG rep told me she would be sending me an email to which I could upload my service call receipts, and my proof of purchase (they don't have this?). Again, I am spending my time running around for something I paid for. (Had to print it, shrink it, scan it, and make sure it did not exceed the MB limit imposed on me. Of course it did the first time I tried.) This makes no sense. This is not customer service.

The woman whose name and number at LG I now covet, said I would receive a confirmation email in 24 hours. I did not. She also said I would receive a decision on my request for a refund in 72 hours. I did not. February 10: I finally gave in and called her back (like I said, hundreds of hours lost on the phone, waiting on hold, pressing buttons, getting disconnected), and my request for a refund was rejected. I have to have one more tech visit (which is currently scheduled for February 16), and then resubmit everything all over again. This is a nightmare!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

When my ancient Whirlpool washer finally "died" in the fall of 2012, we decided it was time for an upgrade. My partner found a "good deal" via a big-box retailer for an LG washer and dryer... good stuff, right? From day one, the dryer has been nothing but an albatross around our necks. Almost immediately it begin to fail after only a few uses. The rather abrupt LG technicians kept stating that our venting system was to blame. We cleaned it carefully and still had problems. Finally, an independent technician suggested we route the vent directly to the outside, which we did. Never mind the built-in vent system worked adequately with our old dryer... We'll play the game. Finally, the dryer seemed to work well.

Recently, my daughter was preparing to dry her clothes and noted that one of the electrical breakers had "flipped" due to the dryer activation. We "re-flipped" the breaker and the dryer was activated but did not dry. Nothing like a little midnight unloading of wet clothes and rigging a temporary clothesline, eh? Of course, we contacted LG and received the standard line "Did you check your vent?" We did receive a technician referral but of course no service call until Monday, so we experienced a pioneer lifestyle with our clothing needs for the weekend. No real problem, just a hassle.

The friendly technician spent approximately five minutes finding the problem, a burned wiring harness. Yep, parts to be ordered and over $300.00 in repairs. The technician remarked that it is wise to stay away from LG, Samsung, and Kenmore appliances as they contain substandard parts. He didn't have to tell me twice. I'll fix this thing, of course. And then I'll go shopping for a good AMERICAN brand like I should have done in the first place. Moral of the story, STAY AWAY FROM LG!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

We purchased an LG large capacity washer and dryer set 4 years ago. A few months ago, we noticed the so common thump, thump, thump. I looked inside the dryer and noticed the crack in the rear weld of the drum. I contacted LG. It took numerous calls over 3 weeks before I finally got someone who admitted that the drum had a 5 year warranty because of all the broken welds. Why wasn't this recalled? Why in the hell did it take me 3 weeks before someone owned up to this P.O.S. They put me in touch with Tanstel electronics for the repair. Tanstel tells me they will have to order the drum and will call me when it gets in. They say it should be in in about 2 weeks.

3 weeks later, I call Tanstel and am told, "Yeah, the drum is sitting here, been here for a while, when do you want us to come out?" Are you kidding me, why didn't they call me when it came in???? Tanstel comes out to do the repair, costs $150. The next load we put in, we notice that if the machine says it is finished in 5 minutes. It keeps on doing this. Apparently, when they replaced the drum, they damaged the sensor that tells the machine when the load is dry. Tanstel comes out again, repairs the sensor and leaves. The sensor still isn't quite right but is better than before.

It is now a month later, and my drum doesn't turn anymore. I can hear the motor turning and can smell the rubber band that is supposed to turn the drum burning. I have had it!! I will never purchase another LG item again. Please learn from all the complaints on this board. LG doesn't care about customer service! LG doesn't care about repeat business!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2015

Have an LG dryer and the drum has a big crack in it and by reading there is a lot of these cracking also. Mine has developed a crack and called to see about replacement and was told "I have to purchase a new drum for it and the drum would cost me $110.00 plus shipping." Looks like we need to get together and contact a lawyer and see about a Class Action suit. Due to product not hold up. Let me know what you think.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

As with so many other LG dryers my drum broke -- $500 to repair. Contacted LG and am waiting to see what happens.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

We did our research years ago and was convinced that LG products were great. I don't care what 'the pros' say on their website. I am here to tell you that I WILL NOT buy another LG product. The washer isn't so bad; only when it says the wash will take 56 minutes - it may be 90 minutes. The dryer is another story. If you are drying something with straps, forget it; it will be ruined. The straps get caught in the vent, twists them and snaps the straps off. Three of wife's items could not be repaired. Then it doesn't dry. When you hit normal (41 minutes and 1/3rd of the time when the vent doesn't twist the clothes), sometimes the clothes will dry and sometimes it won't. I have come to know that reviews may not be accurate. I have been offered money to write a positive review on a car that I test-drove so be wary of reviews by manufacturers.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

LG High Efficiency Front load Dryer - I read through the complaints and have the same problem as many others. The only difference is my issue didn't happen right away. I've had it a few years and recently it started making loud noises. I do OK with simple home repair so I opened the unit and found that the barrel was warped from a huge crack in the back seam that I couldn't see from the inside. Also over the agitators inside machine will start to develop a gap inside the barrel causing cloths to get stuck and twisted up ruining them. They also will trap change and other small items inside the agitators then make that noise as well. Why we can't have the old american made products again? Miss that.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

I have had a bosch ventless dryer for over 10 years. I know they can be finicky, and my Bosch definitely had its issues. When it came time to replace I thought I was going to be stepping up in terms of technology and quality with LG. The washer has been fine. The dryer started leaking on the second day I used it. The repair guy said it was leaking from the drum, rust had already started so he suggested I call and have LG bring a new unit. Second unit came and it started leaking immediately too. The leaking is about 1-2 cups of water that comes out of the bottom somewhere.

A second issue is the dryer is constantly stopping on its own. Just about 10 minutes in the cycle it will stop and beep. To finish a whole cycle, the button has to be pushed about 4 times.

I am in the process of having Home Depot switch this one out. I'm tempted to just have them return it and take my money to Best Buy to buy a Bosch dryer, but then I'll have a mismatched set for the next ten years. I'm so furious at this point because I did my homework and these dryers have been such a bust.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2014

Received brand new broken clothes dryer. Long waiting time before appliance repair was available, then after 2 trips to repair, left the dryer in parts and did not show for 3rd appointment. LG Appliance Company just keeps giving us delays and different stories every time we call. We want these returned and our money back. I have been extremely inconvenienced - during the holidays too - I have had to go to laundromat to dry my clothes. These appliances cost $2,000 and I have not even been able to use them!!! (Purchased from amazon.com. They have been notified).

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

Our LG gas dryer quit drying. The motor would run and the drum would turn. Also, air came out the vent but no heat. We called Sears Service and they came out. The technician took the dryer apart and after a few minutes discovered that close to the burner is a resettable thermostat all hidden underneath and of course, nothing in the manual mentioning a resettable part. Good design would have made that something the owner could find and reset. (We're not all idiots.) The manual, which is best described as poor pidgin English. We have had a great deal of trouble getting clothes completely dry. I am disappointed in the quality of a machine which was very expensive.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2014

LG Sensor Dry - The plastic frame on the lint screen never fit right, clothes get caught on it and spin around each other and stretch out of shape. I had to hang dry any tank tops and anything with spaghetti straps. I just dried a load of clothes and 3/4 of the load came out in one large twisted heap -- 3 pairs of dress pants, 6 shirts, two pairs of sweat pants which were worn once and one nightgown is totally stretched, ripped and ruined. If you are considering buying LG don't!!!

We also own the partner front loading washing machine and it is ruining our water pipes. We've lived in this house for 20 years and never had to get pressure relief valves before to stop the hammering in the pipes caused by this washing machine. Life may be great for this company, but they should change the name of this company to LS -- life sucks!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2014

I bought a washer/dryer from LG and after 6 months dryer smells like the clothes are burning and does not dry clothes. I called LG and they have the date I purchased the dryer which was within a year but because I could not locate receipt they would not help me. My new house could have started on fire. They were rude, kept putting me on hold and refused to help me. I have been running to the laundromat and now have to get a new dryer. Will Never buy anything LG. I was treated horribly.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2014

The Lint Catcher has a chipped end piece on one side and the casing that holds it is chipped as well. The clothes get caught on both of the chipped pieces and stretch, tear and break off depending on what the clothing item is.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

Purchased LG washer, dryer, stove & refrig about 5 yrs ago. Very expensive, but was very happy when I got them. Dryer have replaced 2 - drums, last one has lasted 2 mos, paper thin drum, stove, unit went out that I rarely use and i.m. - rarely works. Never would I spend that kind of money for appliances that are worthless.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

Purchased an LG gas dryer about 3 years ago to upgrade and be more energy efficient. My old dryer was 15 years old but worked just fine. Two days ago the LG dryer started to make a loud thumping sound. Upon further investigating I found a crack in the drum. I called the LG people and they said the drum has a 1 year warranty. My 15 year old dryer never had a crack. So needless to say I am not too happy about spending more money to repair their poorly made product. The person that I spoke with on the phone said that this was the first complaint about a cracked dryer drum. I think I must have been his first call ever because I can find plenty of complaints on the internet about this issue.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2014

I purchased the stackable washer and dryer 2/2014. Never again. I have had the technicians here because the dryer does not dry. I was told that the clothes are dry according to foreign standards, but In the US we want the clothes dry. At 61 years old I thought I heard it all but to my surprise that was the silliest ever. If I did not want to dry clothes then I would not have bought a dryer. The clothes take about 90 minutes to dry, not very energy efficient. Also, the machines are not made for 5'0" tall people. I use a step stool to start and empty the dryer. This machine was a very costly mistake. I asked Lowe's to pro-rate the machines because I only had them since February but they said no. They have a 30-day return policy. I wish I never purchased these machines. I will only buy American if possible.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2014

I ordered online from Home Depot. LG dryer was to be installed, old dryer removed. No problem except dryer now sits in my laundry room 12 inches from the wall and will not complete a drying cycle. My home, as many high end homes in Florida, has venting up thru attic and out the roof. The dryer will not work, have had vents cleaned, and I so regret this purchase. I, at almost 60, am taking my clothes to a laundry to dry them. Instructions state to reroute exhaust? Home Depot will not accept a return? Stated they asked LG and LG said no. Well, will donate the dryer and purchase something that will work. A Roper and from Lowe's, better quality and service.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

I had a great older dryer... No problems ever and I bought it used! Decided to upgrade to a LG efficiency dryer not expecting it to stop working after a year and a half... But of course after the warranty expired, it stops working 4 months later... After I have somebody come figure out the problem, it will probably cost 200.00... So disappointed in LG products... I feel nothing is ever made right anymore... Made cheaply so you're forced to spend more money on repairs and services...

Original review: Aug. 4, 2014

I have a LG Dryer DLGX5102U(V). I purchased this dryer from Home Depot about 2 years ago and also purchased the extended warranty. Good thing in the less than 6 months, the drum has to be replaced twice. Right now there is metal protruding from the drum and tearing up clothes. LG has tons of complaints for this problem and does not recall them. The drum is supposed to have a 10-year warranty but you would have to pay for labor. LG does not stand behind their products and I will never purchase any "LG" again.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2014

My LG dryer is two years old and shortly after I bought, it started to twist my clothes in the lint trap. It has ruined a lot of my clothes. I don't know how to fix it.

Original review: July 17, 2014

LG Front Load Dryer lint trap sticks up and catches clothes, twists, tears and rips them. The trap does not set down far enough and clothes get caught. We have lost numerous items over the past couple of years.

Original review: July 12, 2014

We noticed about two years ago dryer started clunking. It seized up tonight because there are 8 inch splits down the drum on front and back from the seam. To me that's a defect.

Original review: June 19, 2014

Washer that is 6 months old breaks down, dryer that is 13 months old broke down, and can't find repair person. LG doesn't care if they sold product and have no one to work on them. Your call goes to out of this country and can't understand people on phone. All LG products bad, also service is nightmare. Bought at Home Depot was my first mistake. Nightmare.

Original review: June 12, 2014

A crack? I have never heard of a drum in a dryer cracking. Once I checked it out, I was surprised to find a 4 inch crack. We had noticed that everytime we did laundry that there was a thumping sound coming from the dryer. I was even more shocked to find that it's a common problem with LG dryers. I always thought they made good products. Apparently not, with all these reviews of the same problem.

Original review: April 5, 2014

Our LG washer was recalled, due to the agitator coming up out of the machine and injuring people. This happened apparently as a result of washing waterproof bedding. LG sent a repairman out, and he did nothing other than put a sticker on the washer that said not to wash waterproof items. This didn't work for us, as my little boy has asthma and needs his mattress covers washed. We proceeded to go shopping, possibly for another LG, but found that ALL LG washers have that warning. We ended up going for a different brand and I am glad we did because about 6 months later, our LG dryer started making this horrible clacking noise. Turned out the drier actually has a cracked drum.

We called the LG company, and they said we had to have the receipt (from 4 years ago) or they can't help us. The manager actually hung up on me. We called the place that we got the dryer from, but they don't keep receipt records that long. We also tried our credit card company, and their records only go back to 2011. Stay far, far, away from any LG products. This company makes defective equipment, knows it, and then makes it impossible for you to meet their requirements for them to repair the defects. If you think you may want an LG device, please look at all the bad reviews and horror stories. It takes just a simple Google search.

LG Dryers Company Information