KitchenAid Microwave & Range Hood

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased a KitchenAid microwave in 2014 to replace a microwave with a broken door release mechanism. 3 years later, the same thing is happening to the KitchenAid. Door won't open when depressing the button. Seems to be a common occurrence if you check YouTube. The selling dealer offered to sell us a new one for $400. Wrote KitchenAid and was told the unit was out of warranty and if there was a problem, it would have shown up in the first few months of ownership. I didn't expect them to give me a new one for free, maybe just fix this one or offer some assistance with the expense. Two microwaves in 6 years? I will find another brand next time. Reliability, durability, and customer service are all oxymorons when it comes to KitchenAid microwaves.

Purchased new microwave (KMHS120ESS-2) in April 2016. Heating element failed in March 2017 and was repaired under warranty. Heating element failed again in May 2017. Element was under warranty but labor (greater cost of the two) was not. Believe problem not the element but something else that triggers the failure. Consumer beware of both poor quality of product and failure of the company to properly diagnose the root cause of the problem.

For the second time, I have replace the glass turntable, plastic arms, and centerpiece from my Microwave. I use it to defrost bagels, and warm up food, typically no more than 2-3 minutes. I JUST replaced the glass again and after reheating chicken for Easter, I noticed the fan was still blowing and the oven very hot inside. If I open the door it stopped, when I close it the fan starts back up. I left the door open thinking it was a cool down fan, but my boyfriend closed it when we went to bed. When I woke up this morning to defrost my bagel, the glass was crack and turntable parts melted. This has to be the WORST microwave on the market. It works great when it is on, but I have had it. It is expensive. The parts expensive. DONE!

Purchased over stove microwave 3-4yrs ago. KHMC1857BSSO. The microwave was rarely used and there is a crack in the plastic seal around the door, KitchenAid refused to fix it even though I have warranty. Now the door wobbles and gets jammed. Still under warranty, called customer service and they will not fix - calling it cosmetic. Do NOT purchase their extended warranty, it's a ripoff. Extremely dissatisfied with KitchenAid and their customer service.

The over the stove KitchenAid microwave has been in daily use for 6 months. It usually works well, but there are random times when a message code appears rendering the micro unusable. The 'open/close door' message will flash and it doesn't matter how many times you obey the command. The microwave will not allow a time to be entered or heat. After an hour or two the microwave will work just fine... Always after the meal is finished without those 'baked' potatoes you allowed 12 min. cook time for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Our KitchenAid is almost 25 years old and has performed with superb consistency. It seemed expensive at first, but after such great service, in hindsight, it has been of great value. I hope this review doesn't jinx it.

Although it was fairly expensive, this is the best microwave we have owned to date. It is mounted in the wall (along with the regular oven) and is extremely quiet. The door opens down like a regular oven door. It is all stainless steel inside so is very easy to clean. You can cook with it as a regular convection microwave or if you want to cook pizzas or something like that, it has an upper heating element and the oven will heat to 450 degrees.

I am grateful for the microwave I have. When you do not have a lot of money you tend to use things as long as possible. I have had this microwave for 8yrs, given to me used and it still works great (never burn my popcorn).

Purchased our new home in 2011 with this top of the line "upgraded" microwave. A total piece of JUNK. The heating element has broken 4 times. We are ready to go after KitchenAid. We contacted them previously and offered no help. We are not paying to fix this for a 4th time in 5 years. Crazy! We will NEVER buy a KitchenAid product again or recommend to anyone.

It is not as powerful as it could be, was quite expensive but is also quite large. It is not as powerful as the last microwave I had but it is very quiet. The microwave is also larger than my last one and this one has both microwave capabilities and also has a broiler element in it, so it can broil like a regular oven - great for pizzas.

I own a KitchenAid refrigerator, range, over the range microwave and dishwasher. Overall I am not dissatisfied with these machines. They have electronic controls and I have become accustom to phantom beeps from these machines. What I hate is this microwave. I put something in there to warm it up. Once the cycle is over this microwave sounds an annoying tone that never stops until the door is opened. You turn off the tone though the programming but the change is only good until my home's power cycles off and on. Thank you power company. Even the seat belt alarm in my car shuts up after a brief time. I can fall asleep after I put a bag of popcorn in this microwave and it sounds off all night! Please!

In spring of 2011 we re-modeled our kitchen and purchased 3 KitchenAid appliances: dishwasher, refrigerator and microwave. On Sept. 10, 2016 I called a KitchenAid authorized repair shop (Dan Marc Appliance, because the top inside of my microwave had a hole in the roof). On Sept. 14, the technician arrived and I was told the part will be ordered. On 9/29/16, I called Dan Marc for an update but they had no information. On 10/3/16, I called Dan Marc again and was told the part was on back order. On 10/21/16, I called Dan Marc again for an update and they told me the part would be in by 10/26/16. It's now 10/30/16 and I haven't heard from Dan Marc. I would buy another microwave, but I've already paid Dan Marc for a service call totaling $120. My microwave is only 5 years old so I can't understand why it takes 8 weeks to get a replacement part. I will never buy another KitchenAid appliance again!

We recently purchased (and promptly returned) a KitchenAid 1.50 cu.Ft Countertop Convection Microwave Oven - Stainless Steel. We have used Micro/Convection Ovens for over 35 years. We purchased this one based on its advertised "1.5 Cu. Ft. Capacity". The capacity of this oven is not even close to that size. Even "stretched" the measurements only equaled 1.1 Cu.Ft. We are extremely disappointed and not sure how it can be so falsely advertised.

Microwave hood combo, model KHMS1850SSS-0. The plastic filters behind the metal vent screens were ignited by a stove top pan fire. I dropped a lid on the pan immediately. It took me a few seconds to notice the glow under the hood. By then it was too late. The vent fan was on of course, which only increased the intensity of the filter fire. The hood and microwave were totaled by the heat.

I purchased a KitchenAid Microwave in October 2013. The plastic on the bottom of the door handle crumbled leaving a sharp edge and wobbly handle. I contacted Kitchenaid and they told me that they could send someone out for $99 to take a look. This is 20% of the price of the microwave. Materials science has gotten better over the years, but the quality of Kitchenaid appliances has declined sharply. I thought that I was buying a quality product because of the Kitchenaid name. They don't even stand behind their workmanship. The customer service agent did a great job of apologizing to me but not rectifying my concern.

We remodeled our Kitchen and we bought a new oven, microwave, dishwasher, warmer all KitchenAid appliances. First time we heated up the oven to 350 degrees, it heated up to over 500 degree and burnt the bottom of the oven. The temperature settings are very off and wrong, everything we cook we have to use set it very low to get it to cook properly. Dishwasher does not clean correctly and it was leaking, they did come in and adjust it. It kind of works now. The Microwave has been repaired twice in the first year, and this model cost $1000. The warmer works fine.

I will never buy anything KitchenAid ever again. We have had nothing but 3 years of issues, and the customer service repair guy did not have a clue on how to fix any of these appliances so he just keeps ordering parts and wasting our time for this $1000 microwave. Really disappointed in KitchenAid. They are the worst and most terrible customer service team. They never offered to replace any of the appliances and when we unpacked the microwave it had a ding in the front of it.

This part of a two-piece built-in unit with an oven below. (I am concerned that when it needs to be replaced, if I will be able to find something the same size.) The microwave is fine, no problems. The only issue is it is so deep, great for larger items, it is difficult to clean. Being that I am tall with long arms, I can manage but, a smaller individual would have difficulty.

Very well made microwave. Love that it matches the other appliances. It has so many features! From melting butter to baking a pizza on the pan that is included with the microwave. No problems as of yet in the 3 years we have had the microwave. It is stainless steel and looks pretty. The only slight improvement I would make, is it would be nice to have a flatter looking front. It reminds me of a spaceship with the way it bows out from the door front. But I do like that underneath it is angled up towards the front, so it allows for more working space on the stove top that it sits over. Over all I am really pleased with the purchase.

Works great. Has higher temperature. Holds up to a good cleaning, maintains color, easy to set time and clock. Price was great and has been a reliable kitchen appliance.

I like the fact that the included exhaust fan automatically goes on when the stove generates too much heat. Cooks pretty well. Hard to clean the upper vents.

Bought this particular microwave based on looks and price. Turns out it's been a pretty good purchase and has outlasted all the others I've purchased before it. The mechanical bits are kind of a pain though: The door mechanism is "iffy" sometimes; and the wheels on the ring below the turntable aren't of good quality polymer... One chipped at some point and now it goes 'thunk, thunk, thunk' as my meal/drink/whatever is warming up.

Kitchen Aid stainless steel build in microwave model KBMS1454. I do like the door that opens down rather than swing out. Has a cool down fan that seems to run a long time, although I have never had a microwave with a cool down fan before. Cooks food evenly and quickly.

I had to replace the inside of the door because the material cracked and when I took it apart the glass slide out since it had not been properly secured in the door. Everything went together OK and the cost of material was reasonable.

We purchased a new home with KitchenAid appliances and from day 1, my wall microwave did not work and my stove malfunctioned. I called to register my products and was given a quote for an extended warranty (because apparently I am going to need it with these garbage appliances). I was told that they had to ship me some parts, which were out of stock and that I had to wait. After a month, I received the wrong part and called back. I was told the right part I needed was out of stock and had to wait again. After several weeks, I was told that they no longer made my microwave and that they would be sending me a new one. I was told that I could not get the extended warranty at this time because I would be getting a new microwave and if I bought the warranty now, I would have to pay extra to add my new microwave once it came.

After several more weeks, the microwave came in and it was a countertop microwave, not a wall microwave. Obviously, it did not fit in my wall cabinet so the installers had to make modifications for it to fit. This whole process took about 3 months to resolve and I did not have a working microwave. Next, my oven malfunctioned with an error code and it would not turn off. I called customer service again, armed with my extended warranty price quote because clearly these appliances have significant issues. I was told that it is common for the error code to appear on my double wall oven model and that I had to shut my power off and on for it to reset.

When I complained and said that it was unacceptable, I was told that it was an "unfortunate situation" involving these appliances and nothing could be done. I asked about my extended warranty, ready to shell out hundreds more on these appliances so that I could get them replaced when they break (which is clearly going to happen). I was told that the price had now gone up over 100.00 because it had been over a month since I registered my appliances. I told Jasmine, the call taker that I had a faulty microwave and had to wait months for a new one, so that is why I did not get the warranty when I first got the quote. She told me repeatedly that there was nothing that she could do and the quote was computer generated and she could not change the price. I asked for a supervisor and was told that Amber (supervisor) wanted me to know that she could not change the price either.

I have decided not to purchase the extended warranty on these products. I spent over $10,000 on my gourmet kitchen and now I am stuck with these expensive appliances that will no doubt breakdown again and again. For now, I will make sure my flashlight batteries are charged up so I can make the trip to re-set my circuit breaker each time my oven acts up. Thanksgiving should be especially fun.

The oven was set on self clean - something that is a feature on the oven... and it got so hot that it melted the computer panel that sits between the microwave and oven. I was unable to unlock the oven - the latch was completely bent from the heat. The repair company came out with a new latch but when they saw the damage they said the oven is reparable. KitchenAid completely washed their hands and told me there was nothing they would do. Their words "The self cleaning can surpass 500 degrees and can melt this area". So I ask you... then why put that feature into the system if it is going to ruin the oven? Incredible.

Consumer Increased Rating!

In my quest to contact Whirlpool (US), with perseverance, creativity, luck and detective work I received a telephone call from Whirlpool (U.S.) shortly after my initial review. A Whirlpool Executive (Mr. Chastain) was apologetic and took control and personal responsibility of my problem. Mr. Chastain arranged for a technician to service my microwave to my satisfaction and provided me with a full refund for all Whirlpool service charges (parts and labour). While I am grateful to Mr. Chastain for resolving my problem, it would be helpful if Whirlpool included direct telephone #'s (not a call center) and legit email addresses on their website for consumer SOS.

Barb of Unionville, ON on

Original Review

I purchased three new KitchenAid Stainless Steel appliances, which were delivered to our new home in late summer 2013. Installed by professionals. Issues surfaced with the microwave about one year later with an error message appearing in the window and the microwave not working as a result. Kitchen Aid technician (house call) advised window likely had grease build up and to clean daily. I complied but suspected this was not the problem, as the error message kept appearing and the microwave stopped working sporadically.

In July 2015 the microwave completely stopped working (now conveniently out of warranty). The technician who came (at my cost) advised computer board needed replacement (this was covered under major parts warranty) and ordered a new one. Two weeks later, technician returned....with wrong part! To add insult to injury, I paid for an incompetent service call!! The technician then indicated the part associated with my microwave is on "back order" from the U.S. and out of stock until August 15. What is the definition of "on back order" from the U.S. if the source comes from the U.S.? This did not make sense.

My attempts to contact KitchenAid led me to a Whirlpool U.S. call center which had no resolve. Surely if Whirlpool wanted to ensure good customer service, they could contact the source and have the part delivered by courier, particularly when their own technician erred. Nope. This is completely unacceptable "service". Whirlpool U.S. call center would not provide me with a department name/email address so I could follow up. Instead I was advised to 'write' my complaint (via Canada Post) and mail to Whirlpool in Mississauga, ON. Are they living in the 1950's?

I asked for my call to be escalated to manager. The call center indicated there was no department manager. Really? No explanation, no apologies, no problem-solving, no customer care. Sadly we depend on our microwave (independence for 2 disabled adults), notwithstanding the inconvenience and additional costs this situation has caused everyone in my household. I would never recommend a KitchenAid/Whirlpool appliance purchase. This company is not helpful or concerned with assisting their customers. Beware of KitchenAid/Whirlpool and save your money and aggravation.

Apparently, the rocket scientists at Whirlpool have decided we all want the vent fan to push heated or cooled air out of our homes the entire time our microwave runs. So the electronics they're using are so poorly designed they can't tolerate normal operating temperatures. Ovens like this have been sold for more than 30 years without the need to run the vent fan like this. Buyer beware!

Purchased this unit in 2010 with an extended warranty. The unit died in 2012 and was able to get it replaced because of the extended warranty. However an extended warranty was not offered to me on the replacement. The replacement was installed in November 2012 and failed to heat anything in 2015, approximately 2 1/2 years old. I called KitchenAid and spoke with their representative in Tennessee, I explained that this was the second microwave that failed in a two year timeframe. The lady was not very helpful. All she wanted to do was sell me a warranty or I could pay to have a technician come out and look at it. She advised me complaints on defective manufacturing are based on Service Technician calls since they did not have any for this Model then there is nothing wrong with it. I asked her why would 2 of the same units fail during the same time frame and KitchenAid would not recognize that something is wrong with the unit.

I told her I could buy a microwave for less than $100.00 and it would last longer than this model. She told me I should have bought an extended warranty. Apparently I am to blame because I did not get an extended warranty from them for $329.00. At this point she stopped listening to my questions and proceeded in a very loud voice which can be heard clearly from 3 feet away that KitchenAid stands behind their product and there is nothing wrong with that Model microwave because there have not been any complaints. I told her to search the internet. If KitchenAid sold quality products and stand behind their products why would there be a need for an extended warranty. Very, very poor customer service. Therefore if you buy a KitchenAid appliance buy a very long extended warranty because their items are not cheap and the warranty is not cheap also.

In 2007 I spent over 25K on KitchenAid appliances, one of which was a microwave convection oven that cost over $1700. In 2011 that unit failed because the heating element died. I was told by repair that it would be cheaper to replace the unit because even if repaired there was no guarantee it would last. No assistance from KitchenAid.

I purchased a second KitchenAid microwave oven. Three years later it failed...The heating element died. When I contacted KitchenAid after numerous posts on social media and emails, they agreed to pay for the part but I would have to pay for the service call, which I did. Nine months later and the heating element has died again. I contacted KitchenAid and their response after numerous social media post was to offer me the ability to purchase a new microwave at discounted rate. The offer was only good for 48 hours.

I did some research and found out that their discounted rate was the exact same price that the unit is sold at by major retailers. So now the company is being unethical by making me an offer that is supposedly below retail and asking me take a huge leap of faith and purchase a 3rd microwave? I feel like I have been taken advantage as I'm sure many other consumers have felt by KitchenAid's false advertising about the quality and workmanship of their product. My intelligence has been insulted by their feeble attempt to pass off the current retail prices for their units as special discounted rate that are being offered because of the issues I have had with my previous two microwaves.

No one should purchase their products if they are willing to operate in this unethical manner. No one should purchase anything from a company that will not stand behind their products. I guess I will contact the local and national news outlets. Hopefully one of these agency will pick up my story as lesson to other consumers who are in the market for new appliances.

Extremely dissatisfied with the KitchenAid product, warranty and customer service. I contacted them Feb. 5th 2015 to inquire as to the procedure to resolve an issue with the door of my microwave not opening. After a considerable time of answering questions, I was told that my unit was no longer covered under warranty. I then expressed the following info to the KitchenAid representative and offered copies of documentation:

1/31/2014: Ordered 1/31/2014: Deposit $5412.50 4/22/2014: $3252.91 final pay 5/15/2014: Appliances delivered 1/16/2015: Moved in 1/19/2015: Microwave installed by Vassar Electric 2/05/2015: Door would not open

Your representative stated that it did not matter, KitchenAid’s warranty is based on date of purchase (1/31/2014), not date of deliver (May 15, 2014) or the date of installation (1/19/2015). We were told by C&D Appliance that we had a deadline to order or the price would go up. We explained to them that we would not need the appliances for several months as the house was under total remodel. They said no problem as they would store them until we were ready so all the appliances were ordered at the same time and stored at C&D Appliance warehouse.

We get a call one day that they needed to deliver the appliances as they need more room in their warehouse so we stored them in our shop area. Little did we know at the time of purchase that the warranties started on the day we ordered them which was also the date of invoice. It cost me $660.33 to use the microwave for 21 days. I also have no warranty on the KitchenAid dishwasher, the Jenn-Air cook stove and the Jenn-Air refrigerator, all of which are product lines of the Whirlpool Corporation. Adding insult to injury, I filed a product review with KitchenAid that they REFUSED to post!

Compare Microwaves