KitchenAid Microwave
1.73/5
Based on 118 reviews that contain star ratings

KitchenAid Microwave & Range Hood

224 KitchenAid Microwave Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Like many other reviewers, we purchased high end KitchenAid appliances base on reputation. The steaming sensor was the only thing that ever impressed me. The fan never did much except make a lot of noise and the unit seemed underpowered compared to every other 1200 watt unit I've owned. At just over 2 years old (and just after the warranty expired) we started getting error messages directing us to open/close the door. That resolved nothing. I unplugged it and fiddled with different buttons and controls, got it to limp along for a few months. Then the appliance went black. The local appliance technician says it's a design flaw. The heat from the cooktop overheats the electronics that are in the door directly above burners. Most microwaves have controls in a side panel. $900 wasted.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I purchased an oven, built in microwave, downdraft stove, ice machine, dishwasher and refrigerator. So far the oven has gone out when I cleaned it. It burned up. I had to threaten a lawsuit to get a repair person to fix it for free. The microwave has missing pieces of the time. It needs a new board. The ice machine is completely dead. My appliances are THREE years old. I have never ever seen such poor quality in my life. The very last time I will ever purchase KA.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I purchased a KitchenAid double oven, microwave and dishwasher between March and April this year. On May 24th, the day school was out for the summer the microwave stopped heating. I called customer service and they said that a replacement would be delivered soon. Called again on 6/5 as nothing had come as promised and was told I was just approved for replacement and that I would get it in another 5 to 7 days. Called today 6/13 and was told the microwave is on backorder and they are not sure when I will get it. No effort to resolve the situation. Other than, "I will talk to the expedite board and get back to you in 24 hours."

It is ridiculous to go without a microwave that you paid over $600 for and it lasted less than 60 days. I saw that the retailer I purchased the unit from has some in stock and asked the customer service rep to get one from them and get it installed this week. Rep had to get approval for it. Looks like I will get to go yet another week without a microwave. The way it has been going, I will have to call them again to get nowhere. DO NOT BUY KITCHENAID!!

Original review: June 3, 2018

I had an upscale kitchen remodel done and spent probably $75,000 on appliances. I purchased two KitchenAid fridges and microwaves and an under counter ice maker. To date the microwave has almost no power. I have a $35 microwave from Walmart that heats food three times as fast as my KitchenAid. I had service out in the first month because the microwave sounded like a jet engine. They replaced a fan in there and then I had it out again because it just wasn’t powerful enough and they said there was nothing they could do. The cost of the microwave was $2500.

One of the fridges randomly will just make this worrying waze. Who knows why. I don’t even want to call service man for that. And the ice maker has given us problems from the first six months. And now the ice maker has died. I would periodically have to unplug it and leave it for a day and plug it in and it would work but now nothing. I think that thing cost $2700. We did not buy these appliances at Lowe’s but at an upscale appliance store where they guaranteed me that it is a better quality than if you purchased a KitchenAid on the floor of a big box store. I would never purchase a KitchenAid appliances again.

I also have Wolf Appliance as a double wall oven and a large commercial stove. The double oven timer you can’t hear it and less you have your ear up against it. I had a service man out and he said there’s nothing you can do about that. The commercial stove one of the front electrical ignition switches doesn’t work that up and cost 50,000. It is insanity that these companies are in business. So poor quality and they don’t seem to care. I don’t even know if it’s worth it to have a service man come out and check my ice maker.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I am an electrician and repair appliances, I've kept all the appliances in my house going for many years by diagnosing and repairing them myself. I recently bought a condo which has KitchenAid appliances; a French-door refrigerator, a dishwasher, and an over-the-stove microwave. Although I am writing about the microwave as garbage, so is the refrigerator. The microwave is model YKHMS1850SS2. I knowingly bought the condo with this microwave, which is damaged, the door handle had broken off and the grill cover at the top has broken mounting tabs, thinking I could fix the damage at a reasonable cost which is not possible because Whirlpool, which owns KitchenAid, is replacement part price gouging. The parts are made of very cheap easily breakable plastic which probably cost Whirlpool very little to manufacture and look to be designed to break.

If I could, I would take the door apart and replace the handle but the handle is not available as a separate part, only the whole door which costs half as much as a new KitchenAid microwave is available so I currently use a cheap suction auto body dent puller stuck to the glass door until I get a metal towel bar which I am going to cut down to the right size and mount it with the microwave handle screws that are currently protruding from the holes in the door cover which will last the lifetime of the microwave's electronics.

The grill cover also costs quite a bit, the plastic mounting insert that fits in the stainless steel cover is not available separately so the two-part assembly also costs a lot of $$$ and is very wasteful because the stainless steel cover part, which is not damaged, will be redundant and dumped in the landfill. Instead of doing that, I am going to judiciously drill some holes in the plastic insert and use black tie-wraps to fasten it to the microwave. Kludged together but cheap and quick.

There's a big difference in the quality of appliances made in the 1970's and 1980's and now, the quality has very significantly declined and the price has significantly increased. In my house, I had a Maytag dishwasher, purchased in 1981, model WU300, which washed dishes very well and I kept it going by repairing it myself until about two months ago. It would still be running except the part needed is extremely hard to find. I replaced it with a Bosch dishwasher, probably made in the same US factory as Maytag/Whirlpool/KitchenAid. Ironically, just after it was installed and the old dishwasher was taken away I managed to find the repair part for it at an online used appliance parts supply for a very reasonable price. There really were "the good old days" for appliances.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: April 11, 2018

Bought a $330 microwave and the thing has been nothing but issues. This broke, that broke and the repairmen are great. They worked to fix the issues fast but the thing still is an expensive product and it's complete garbage. Will never buy from them again.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I paid for high-end KitchenAid appliances because of the reputation of quality and service, and I've experienced nothing but the opposite; in 2 years, my refrigerator needed a cooling element replaced, my oven glass exploded across my kitchen (thank goodness my children were not standing there!), a heating element in my convection microwave needed to be replaced, and most recently a door switch in the microwave needed replacing because it was causing it to not operate. This last repair, I was out of the 2-year warranty by one month, and they are refusing to cover the $142 cost of the repair. They don't stand by their products. In 2 years, for the thousands of dollars we paid, nothing should go wrong with any appliances, let alone these many occurrences. And to not cover a repair being 1 month past warranty, especially with all of the other problems I've had, even just to save face, is ridiculous for such a large company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

KitchenAid over the range convection oven Model KHMC1857BSS1 - I purchased this unit from Home Depot after my Whirlpool unit gave out after 6 years (we cook seldom - so it's not from heavy use), I have had this unit for 18 months and when the door was opened the latch would not signal the unit door was open (nor closed) and the unit would not cook. After calling the repair person he said it was a standard problem with these units and they generally broke in the first year. The price for repair was over half the cost of a new unit with the replacement door switches only warrantied for 90 days. My solution is; I will purchase a new unit, however - KitchenAid, Whirlpool and Kenmore products will never make my list again. The comparison units shown on this page will be a good place to start.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Purchased a KitchenAid microwave in 2014 to replace a microwave with a broken door release mechanism. 3 years later, the same thing is happening to the KitchenAid. Door won't open when depressing the button. Seems to be a common occurrence if you check YouTube. The selling dealer offered to sell us a new one for $400. Wrote KitchenAid and was told the unit was out of warranty and if there was a problem, it would have shown up in the first few months of ownership. I didn't expect them to give me a new one for free, maybe just fix this one or offer some assistance with the expense. Two microwaves in 6 years? I will find another brand next time. Reliability, durability, and customer service are all oxymorons when it comes to KitchenAid microwaves.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Purchased new microwave (KMHS120ESS-2) in April 2016. Heating element failed in March 2017 and was repaired under warranty. Heating element failed again in May 2017. Element was under warranty but labor (greater cost of the two) was not. Believe problem not the element but something else that triggers the failure. Consumer beware of both poor quality of product and failure of the company to properly diagnose the root cause of the problem.

Original review: April 17, 2017

For the second time, I have replace the glass turntable, plastic arms, and centerpiece from my Microwave. I use it to defrost bagels, and warm up food, typically no more than 2-3 minutes. I JUST replaced the glass again and after reheating chicken for Easter, I noticed the fan was still blowing and the oven very hot inside. If I open the door it stopped, when I close it the fan starts back up. I left the door open thinking it was a cool down fan, but my boyfriend closed it when we went to bed. When I woke up this morning to defrost my bagel, the glass was crack and turntable parts melted. This has to be the WORST microwave on the market. It works great when it is on, but I have had it. It is expensive. The parts expensive. DONE!

Original review: April 12, 2017

Purchased over stove microwave 3-4yrs ago. KHMC1857BSSO. The microwave was rarely used and there is a crack in the plastic seal around the door, KitchenAid refused to fix it even though I have warranty. Now the door wobbles and gets jammed. Still under warranty, called customer service and they will not fix - calling it cosmetic. Do NOT purchase their extended warranty, it's a ripoff. Extremely dissatisfied with KitchenAid and their customer service.

Original review: March 31, 2017

The over the stove KitchenAid microwave has been in daily use for 6 months. It usually works well, but there are random times when a message code appears rendering the micro unusable. The 'open/close door' message will flash and it doesn't matter how many times you obey the command. The microwave will not allow a time to be entered or heat. After an hour or two the microwave will work just fine... Always after the meal is finished without those 'baked' potatoes you allowed 12 min. cook time for.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Our KitchenAid is almost 25 years old and has performed with superb consistency. It seemed expensive at first, but after such great service, in hindsight, it has been of great value. I hope this review doesn't jinx it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Although it was fairly expensive, this is the best microwave we have owned to date. It is mounted in the wall (along with the regular oven) and is extremely quiet. The door opens down like a regular oven door. It is all stainless steel inside so is very easy to clean. You can cook with it as a regular convection microwave or if you want to cook pizzas or something like that, it has an upper heating element and the oven will heat to 450 degrees.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I am grateful for the microwave I have. When you do not have a lot of money you tend to use things as long as possible. I have had this microwave for 8yrs, given to me used and it still works great (never burn my popcorn).

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Purchased our new home in 2011 with this top of the line "upgraded" microwave. A total piece of JUNK. The heating element has broken 4 times. We are ready to go after KitchenAid. We contacted them previously and offered no help. We are not paying to fix this for a 4th time in 5 years. Crazy! We will NEVER buy a KitchenAid product again or recommend to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

It is not as powerful as it could be, was quite expensive but is also quite large. It is not as powerful as the last microwave I had but it is very quiet. The microwave is also larger than my last one and this one has both microwave capabilities and also has a broiler element in it, so it can broil like a regular oven - great for pizzas.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I own a KitchenAid refrigerator, range, over the range microwave and dishwasher. Overall I am not dissatisfied with these machines. They have electronic controls and I have become accustom to phantom beeps from these machines. What I hate is this microwave. I put something in there to warm it up. Once the cycle is over this microwave sounds an annoying tone that never stops until the door is opened. You turn off the tone though the programming but the change is only good until my home's power cycles off and on. Thank you power company. Even the seat belt alarm in my car shuts up after a brief time. I can fall asleep after I put a bag of popcorn in this microwave and it sounds off all night! Please!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

In spring of 2011 we re-modeled our kitchen and purchased 3 KitchenAid appliances: dishwasher, refrigerator and microwave. On Sept. 10, 2016 I called a KitchenAid authorized repair shop (Dan Marc Appliance, because the top inside of my microwave had a hole in the roof). On Sept. 14, the technician arrived and I was told the part will be ordered. On 9/29/16, I called Dan Marc for an update but they had no information. On 10/3/16, I called Dan Marc again and was told the part was on back order. On 10/21/16, I called Dan Marc again for an update and they told me the part would be in by 10/26/16. It's now 10/30/16 and I haven't heard from Dan Marc. I would buy another microwave, but I've already paid Dan Marc for a service call totaling $120. My microwave is only 5 years old so I can't understand why it takes 8 weeks to get a replacement part. I will never buy another KitchenAid appliance again!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

We recently purchased (and promptly returned) a KitchenAid 1.50 cu.Ft Countertop Convection Microwave Oven - Stainless Steel. We have used Micro/Convection Ovens for over 35 years. We purchased this one based on its advertised "1.5 Cu. Ft. Capacity". The capacity of this oven is not even close to that size. Even "stretched" the measurements only equaled 1.1 Cu.Ft. We are extremely disappointed and not sure how it can be so falsely advertised.

Original review: May 4, 2016

Microwave hood combo, model KHMS1850SSS-0. The plastic filters behind the metal vent screens were ignited by a stove top pan fire. I dropped a lid on the pan immediately. It took me a few seconds to notice the glow under the hood. By then it was too late. The vent fan was on of course, which only increased the intensity of the filter fire. The hood and microwave were totaled by the heat.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

I purchased a KitchenAid Microwave in October 2013. The plastic on the bottom of the door handle crumbled leaving a sharp edge and wobbly handle. I contacted Kitchenaid and they told me that they could send someone out for $99 to take a look. This is 20% of the price of the microwave. Materials science has gotten better over the years, but the quality of Kitchenaid appliances has declined sharply. I thought that I was buying a quality product because of the Kitchenaid name. They don't even stand behind their workmanship. The customer service agent did a great job of apologizing to me but not rectifying my concern.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

We remodeled our Kitchen and we bought a new oven, microwave, dishwasher, warmer all KitchenAid appliances. First time we heated up the oven to 350 degrees, it heated up to over 500 degree and burnt the bottom of the oven. The temperature settings are very off and wrong, everything we cook we have to use set it very low to get it to cook properly. Dishwasher does not clean correctly and it was leaking, they did come in and adjust it. It kind of works now. The Microwave has been repaired twice in the first year, and this model cost $1000. The warmer works fine.

I will never buy anything KitchenAid ever again. We have had nothing but 3 years of issues, and the customer service repair guy did not have a clue on how to fix any of these appliances so he just keeps ordering parts and wasting our time for this $1000 microwave. Really disappointed in KitchenAid. They are the worst and most terrible customer service team. They never offered to replace any of the appliances and when we unpacked the microwave it had a ding in the front of it.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

This part of a two-piece built-in unit with an oven below. (I am concerned that when it needs to be replaced, if I will be able to find something the same size.) The microwave is fine, no problems. The only issue is it is so deep, great for larger items, it is difficult to clean. Being that I am tall with long arms, I can manage but, a smaller individual would have difficulty.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

Very well made microwave. Love that it matches the other appliances. It has so many features! From melting butter to baking a pizza on the pan that is included with the microwave. No problems as of yet in the 3 years we have had the microwave. It is stainless steel and looks pretty. The only slight improvement I would make, is it would be nice to have a flatter looking front. It reminds me of a spaceship with the way it bows out from the door front. But I do like that underneath it is angled up towards the front, so it allows for more working space on the stove top that it sits over. Over all I am really pleased with the purchase.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

Works great. Has higher temperature. Holds up to a good cleaning, maintains color, easy to set time and clock. Price was great and has been a reliable kitchen appliance.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

I like the fact that the included exhaust fan automatically goes on when the stove generates too much heat. Cooks pretty well. Hard to clean the upper vents.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

Bought this particular microwave based on looks and price. Turns out it's been a pretty good purchase and has outlasted all the others I've purchased before it. The mechanical bits are kind of a pain though: The door mechanism is "iffy" sometimes; and the wheels on the ring below the turntable aren't of good quality polymer... One chipped at some point and now it goes 'thunk, thunk, thunk' as my meal/drink/whatever is warming up.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

Kitchen Aid stainless steel build in microwave model KBMS1454. I do like the door that opens down rather than swing out. Has a cool down fan that seems to run a long time, although I have never had a microwave with a cool down fan before. Cooks food evenly and quickly.

KitchenAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KitchenAid invented the heavy-duty stand-mixer in 1919, and since then has dedicated itself to providing consumers with high-quality kitchen appliances and tools. They sell large and small appliances as well as small kitchen tools.

• Combination ovens: The KitchenAid combination ovens add the traditional convection oven to the microwave for dual-cooking.

• Built-in: For a sleek, smooth addition to your kitchen, the built-in microwave tucks away perfectly to conserve space.

• Sensor steam cycle: The steam cycle provides hydrated heating to vegetables and other items. Steamer container is provided.

• Crispwave: Crisp up bacon, potatoes and other food items with the Crispwave technology and crisper pan.

• Keep warm: Don't worry about your food getting cold once it's finished cooking with this feature.

• Best for: Commercial kitchens, small families, large families, singles and couples. The high quality product line lets you cook amazing things in a small space.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs