Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

KitchenAid Microwave Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2019

We have had this microwave for 20 years, and we have never had a problem of any kind. The keys are flat on the front and are a little difficult to keep clean, but otherwise we have had no problems with function at all.

Original review: July 11, 2019

The overall performance is good, with the exception that to me there are times that it doesn't seem to heat the item. It's almost like there is a dead zone. The biggest complaint that I have is cleaning the crumbs or splash debris that ends up between the unit and its door.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2019

The KitchenAid Microwave I have is an over the stove. It is stainless steel in color. It's great 95% of the time at heating food. Tried to cook corn on the cob and it overheated and shut off. It took over 30 minutes before it would work again. For now I'm going to stick to warming foods and making popcorn.

Original review: July 9, 2019

This microwave oven is a replacement for the Electrolux that I previously owned. I would not own another because I had several issues before it totally stopped working. I have only owned this KitchenAid microwave for a few months but it's been great and has more features than I will ever use. It's also a convection air oven which I like very much even though we don't use that feature very much.

Original review: July 3, 2019

My Kitchenaid microwave has a browning unit, a temperature probe, a multitude of settings some of which I have never used. So glad I bought this when I remodeled my kitchen. Reliability is a must!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

We purchased the new low profile style of KitchenAid microwave hood combination to replace a 21 year old Maytag model. I could no longer get parts for the "old girl" so decided to update. Installed the new unit in March of 2019. The performance of the microwave is as I expected from a higher end product. The model upgrades to LED lighting and the exhaust fan features are all pluses for this unit. The microwave touchpad and programs have worked very well. I would be rating this unit with 5 stars at this point except for one major flaw....

There are (5) chrome buttons on the front face of the microwave to control the lighting, fan, open the door, cancel program, and start menu programs. On the surface of the buttons lettering had been stenciled to identify the function for each of these (5) buttons. After about 6 months of use the lettering has become faint and/or disappeared. Of course the two buttons used the most "START" and "OPEN" are now basically missing any lettering to identify the function of that button.

In September I decided to contact KitchenAid Customer Experience Center about the problem. I first used the contact via e-mail found on the KitchenAid website explaining the issue with the button lettering disappearing. Received a response about 5 days later stating they were sorry I was experiencing and understood it could be frustrating. Then went on to state quote "When touching the control panel, be sure there are no oils or lotion on your fingers. This can damage the lettering and finish.". They would be sure to pass on my complaint for review and future improvements. Of course this response did not sit well with me. What kitchen appliance should not stand up to "normal" use with your skin oils or other kitchen products touching its surfaces.

I then called to arrange for a service call on the microwave again explaining to the representative my issue with missing button lettering. After much discussion of the problem they basically categorized the problem as "cosmetic" and therefore excluded under their warranty. The warranty in the User Guide also stipulates in bold lettering "The cost of repair or replacement under these excluded circumstances shall be borne by the customer". No service call was set up at this point.

After a couple more e-mail exchanges with Consumer Correspondence Team personnel, they recommended I arrange a service call to have a local KitchenAid repair technician look at my problem. I asked them to waive any costs for the service visit IF the technician could not classify the defect as anything other than what they had already called "cosmetic". They could not provide me with such a waiver and no service call was arranged.

I would say the Customer Experience Center personnel listened to my complaint and understood my dissatisfaction, but could not help resolve the problem. I even asked them to just send a set of new buttons and I would be a happy customer. I don't think that is going to happen either. No further communications for a couple of weeks now.

Like I stated earlier, I now have (2 of 5) buttons without identification as to their function. The User Guide does not pictures of these buttons so you cannot lookup what the buttons do, good thing for our memory I guess. The frustration is the lettering should be able to withstand normal use in a kitchen environment without rubbing off. It is more than a cosmetic issue. Thus the reason for the 2-star rating for this appliance. I just want current and future customers to be aware of this issue. A photo is attached of the right hand side buttons showing the lettering disappearing with use.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

We spent $665.11 on a microwave that lasted 1 year and 2 months. As is does not fall into their 1 year warranty, they refuse to help or compensate in any way. We had the same issue with a $900 dishwasher we purchased from KitchenAid a couple of years ago. BOTH appliances stopped working after exactly 1 year! It would seem that they are in the business of manufacturing CHEAP China appliances that break shortly after their warranty so you must purchase another one.

Customer service is no help at all. They just read from a script repeating the same sentence over and over again. Other companies like Black & Decker and GE have much better customer service and ability to help customers when their products do not work. Would shop from them instead! KitchenAid KCMS1655BSS 1.6 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Oven with 1200 Cooking Watts, 9 Quick-Touch Cycles, Recessed Turntable.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I purchased a KitchenAid microwave model# KMCS3022GSS and trim kit in May, 2018 as we were in the process of remodeling our kitchen and the cabinet maker needed the dimensions of the unit to build the cabinets. I knew that I was taking a warranty risk as it was going to take 8 months to get my cabinets but I expected KitchenAid products to be high quality. However, in less than 8 months of actual operation the microwave has died and from what I’m reading on this site it can’t be repaired so I’m out over $500. I’ve been a loyal Whirlpool/KitchenAid customer but it’s time to look for another supplier.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

We purchased a combination oven & microwave/convection oven in 2008, the microwave recently began to not heat food and drinks. We notified KitchenAid and were referred to a local repair who diagnosed the problem and said it would require a new magnetron and control board, with labor the cost would be $650+, we decided the cost of the repair was much less than a new oven and microwave and committed to the repair. Repair was made, microwave now functions/heats food and drinks at a fraction of the previous level. Had repairman return today to diagnose and repair again. He proceeded to do test as dictated by KitchenAid's factory tech on the phone with him, "fill vessel with 10oz. of water, check temperature, heat for 30 seconds and check again". The difference was +20 degrees hotter which is the lowest level of their benchmark for acceptable being acceptable.

Bottom line is it still doesn't heat as it did before the $650+ repair. I then spoke with rep at Kitchenaid for an hour expressing my displeasure and asking for help, their answer’s sorry but it's a 10-11 year old appliance and they don't perform as well when they're that old is the final word from them. My question to her was why didn't anyone mention that before we committed to the repair, she was silent on that. Sooo, I will not advocate KitchenAid as a quality product again much less purchase another of their appliances. I will advise others to look elsewhere when shopping for appliances! I have also filed a dispute with my credit card company in an effort to recover some of the cost we incurred.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Have a two month old microwave that’s broken down twice. Two months old, called KitchenAid multiple times for service. After the last break down we contacted KitchenAid again. We wanted a replacement their defective product. But that is not their KitchenAid’s policy. Their policy’s is to send a repair person out and try to fix their mistakes. That’s until it’s out of their “1” year warranty. “DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY”. Forgot to mention, KitchenAid has a very rude customer service department. You can hear them snickering at you when you’re on the phone trying to get help. -- Don, a certified multi KitchenAid appliance buyer. Never again.

KitchenAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KitchenAid invented the heavy-duty stand-mixer in 1919, and since then has dedicated itself to providing consumers with high-quality kitchen appliances and tools. They sell large and small appliances as well as small kitchen tools.

• Combination ovens: The KitchenAid combination ovens add the traditional convection oven to the microwave for dual-cooking.

• Built-in: For a sleek, smooth addition to your kitchen, the built-in microwave tucks away perfectly to conserve space.

• Sensor steam cycle: The steam cycle provides hydrated heating to vegetables and other items. Steamer container is provided.

• Crispwave: Crisp up bacon, potatoes and other food items with the Crispwave technology and crisper pan.

• Keep warm: Don't worry about your food getting cold once it's finished cooking with this feature.

• Best for: Commercial kitchens, small families, large families, singles and couples. The high quality product line lets you cook amazing things in a small space.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs