2. Homeowners
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.83/5
Visit Website

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Independent Home offers several walk-in bathtubs, including wheelchair-accessible tubs. The company offers more size options than any other walk-in tub brand. Accurate pricing is determined through a free in-home consultation.

PROS

• Wheelchair accessible
  • Bariatric models available
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Various customizable models

CONS

• Tub capacity may affect water heater
  • No online pricing

Top Independent Home Reviews

The installation guy was...very good at what he did, and he's done it several times. And he was like clockwork. He did it in one day. Installation was great, and I especially liked the attachments, the faucets, and everything else. They're top-notch. They have a very good quality tub.

I got an Independent Home tub with a wheelchair access. Everything worked fine. The installation team was excellent. They were in and out, and had it done in eight hours. I can now get in, take a bath without worrying about falling.

Independent Home models

Independent Home makes eight different walk-in tub models. Each model comes equipped with many standard features, including fast-fill faucets and speed drains. Higher-end models include luxury features such as air or whirlpool hydrotherapy, dual massage jets and color-soothing chromotherapy. The company also makes a walk-in shower for situations where an Independent Home tub may not be the right fit because of customer preference or bathroom size limitation.

Independent Home walk-in tub models include an affordable deep soak walk-in tub with optional massage jets, a structurally upgraded acrylic model and a wheelchair-accessible tub. All Independent Home products are ADA compliant.

The company’s walk-in tubs vary by features such as the number of jets, the size of the tub and hydrotherapy options. Several models are designed for specific needs.

• The Access is a wheelchair-accessible model that helps those in wheelchairs safely get in and out of the bathtub.
  • The Royal is designed for larger individuals and has a power-controlled seat for lifting and lower people into the bath.
  • The Cube is a compact walk-in bathtub designed to fit into an existing shower stall space.

Standard features of Independent Home walk-in tubs

All Independent Home walk-in tubs and showers come with multiple standard features. In addition to industry-wide features, such as a low step-in threshold and a wide door, Independent Home walk-in tubs offer an extendable showerhead, user-friendly locking handles and one-touch controls.

Independent Home walk-in tub installation

Your Independent Home walk-in tub installation is performed by certified installers skilled in multiple trades, including plumbing, electrical, demolition and finish work. New team members are trained by current installation professionals and must complete at least 200 walk-in tub installations as part of someone else’s team before running their own.

Independent Home holds its technicians to strict standards. Each employee explains how to use the tub to the customer after installing it, and each customer signs a completion certificate stating they are satisfied with the work.

Every walk-in tub is tested during construction with checkpoints that guarantee the quality of the electrical components and integrity of the watertight seal. As a factory-direct company, Independent Home adheres to a standard of single-source accountability for sales, installation and service.

It usually takes one day to complete the installation. All Independent Home walk-in tubs are turnkey solutions designed to replace existing bathtubs.

Independent Home walk-in tub cost and financing

The cost of an Independent Home walk-in tub ranges from about $8,000 to $12,000, installation included, but varies by the model you choose and any add-ons or upgrades added to the tub. Adding options such as hydrotherapy to a tub increases its price.

The company suggests having a specialist perform a free in-home estimate before purchasing a tub. The specialist measures your current bathroom and explains what is required to install an Independent Home walk-in tub. Having a technician inspect your bathroom lets the company give you the most accurate quote possible.

The company provides a $1,500-off installation certificate on its website, and financing is available to qualified buyers. If you’re a veteran with a disability, you may be able to subsidize a bathroom remodeling project with a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant.

Independent Home FAQs

What type of warranty does Independent Home offer?
Independent Home backs its tubs with a full lifetime warranty. You’re fully covered on all components of your tub and every aspect of installation.
What are the Independent Home walk-in tubs dimensions?
Independent Home walk-in tub sizes vary by model. They range from 35 to 60 inches in length, 36 to 47 inches in height and 26 to 33 inches in width. The company’s most compact model is the Cube, and its largest model is the Access. All of the company’s walk-in tubs are designed to fit inside an existing space for a standard tub.
Where can I buy an Independent Home walk-in tub?
There are Independent Home walk-in tub locations in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. You can connect with a local specialist via the company’s website. The tubs are made in the U.S. and manufactured at the company’s headquarters on Long Island, New York. After meeting with a specialist, it usually takes between 10 and 14 days to order, build, ship and install your new walk-in tub.

Do we recommend Independent Home walk-in tubs?

Although the final price can only be determined after an in-home estimate, Independent Home guarantees quotes for a year and includes installation in the tub price. The company’s ADA-compliant tubs come in a variety of sizes and styles to fit different needs. According to Independent Home walk-in tub reviews, customers enjoy their tubs and are pleased with the installation process.

Independent Home Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

We love our Independent Home tub. My husband and I both have issues because we're 85 and 86, and he has a terrible back. And so, we've been talking about getting more of these tubs. This young man called and said he was in our area making calls, and that they were putting a special out. He said, "I'm from the Dallas area, but I'm in Amarillo, and I would love to come and present this to you." I asked if he could be here at 10 o'clock in the morning which was a Saturday morning in December. He was here at 10 o'clock that Saturday morning. It was very unusual for anybody to make that kind of a prompt call by phone especially in person.

He came in and we met with him, but we had to go to MD Anderson. My husband has cancer, and we were going down for a check-up. And so, we told him, "Nate, we cannot sign now because we don't know what we're gonna find out when we get to MD Anderson, and we must wait and see what we have going on." He said he was gonna be working the Amarillo area and that he would call us. We had to go down on Wednesday, see the doctor, had test run, do the doctor's thing on Thursday, and we started home Friday. I asked Nate what was the plan, and he said he'd call us at 4 o'clock Friday. We were driving through Fort Worth, Texas at 4 o'clock Friday, and I got a phone call from him. He stayed over to meet with us Saturday morning. He was here at 10 o'clock. He called at 4 o'clock. You don't find that in this world today from young people. And so, that made a great impression on us.

We went through it all. And we had looked at some others and we had tried to get local plumbers even from as far as Lubbock and Amarillo to come and give a look at where it had to go and look and see what could be done about it. We talked to the guy in New York. We talked to one in Des Moines that was head of the contractors. Then Christmas came and went. And so, we decided that we would do it after Christmas. They've contacted us, gave us a time that the contractors would be here, and they came a day and a half early. They called, and this is Shonda and Shasta.

Shasta's the head of contractors. She called and said, "Could we come and look? We know this is gonna be an unusual job for us." They came out Sunday evening, and they were here when they told us they'd be here. They told us that they would be here at 9 o'clock Monday morning to start the work, and they had a plan. They were here at 9 o'clock every day that they worked for us because that's the time they chose to come. These two women did an awesome job.

We are in love with the whole thing so far. We enjoy the air bubbles and the water jets. We like the low shower. When we went back to the doctor for the first time after my husband had used it just a couple of times, his back was so much better that the doctor told us that it had probably moved some muscles off of the nerves that were giving him a lot of his problems. We're very satisfied.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I had been thinking about having a walk-in tub put in. I had one contractor come in six months ago, and he was gonna charge so much. Nate from Independent Home called me, and we set up a time for the salesman to come and talk to me. He showed me his brochures, what they had to offer and the price. So we went from there and I've been well satisfied with it.

The installation team was supposed to get here on Friday morning, but the guy called me and he asked if Monday would be okay. I told him it would be fine and he said he would be here between 9:30 or 10:00. He also said he would call me before he got here. At 11 he hadn't come, so I called him. He said he was on his way, and that he told me between 10:30 and 11:30. I told him he didn't tell me that. But that was okay. When he came to the door, he said he was real sorry.

His son was with him, and they tore out some walls that day so it took them a while to get that out. But they got that out the first day then they left. They came back the next morning sort of early. He told me he'd call before he got here. They worked that day, and he had to go to Lowe's and get some stuff because by that time, they had poured the bath tub out. They had to tear it up so they could get it out. Then they got the walls fixed. He told me everything looked good, but he reinforced everything back there. He did a good job. They were both nice as they could be, and we just got off on the wrong foot at first. But after that, we were joking and talking and we got along fine.

Nate had all of the papers that I had to sign, and he stayed here all afternoon, which was fine. Everybody was real nice. I've enjoyed the tub. The only thing was that I wanted a bar. I only have one hand bar up at the front where the shower heads are, and I wanted one at the other end because that's where the seat is. So when the man that makes this product called me and asked me if I was satisfied with everything that they did, I told him I was and everything went along okay. I said that it is real pretty and I'm sure I'm gonna enjoy it. I then told him that they need a bar at the other end where the seat is. He said he hasn't thought about that. I told him that I was gonna call Nate because he told me to call him if there was anything that I needed that I didn't get. So I called him, and last Friday, they came and put the other bar in. I'm well pleased with my walk-in tub. Everybody has really taken care of me and the tub looks nice.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

The possibility of my mother having to move in with us made me interested in getting a walk-in tub. She’s 78 years old, and she has a hard time getting in and out of the tub. When I spent most of the last winter with her in Indiana, she was complaining to me that one of her biggest issues at her own home was the fact that she had a hard time taking a bath. She didn't want me helping, yet she wanted her back washed and whatnot, so she had to sit on the edge of the tub. She was talking about how much that hurt her bottom.

With the Independent Home walk-in tub, she doesn’t have to worry about hurting her bottom because it has the nice seat in there. She wouldn’t be able to handle the high jet. That'd be too much for her because she’s really skinny but I’ve tried the settings just so that I would be prepared for her, because I do expect her to move in here when she finally realizes that she needs to. So, we’re getting our house, at least part of it, ready for her. I’ve taken a shower using the showerhead, the handheld one, and I realized that you should take your bath first, then wash your hair with the shower last. Otherwise, you’re gonna sit there and get a little cold while straightened. It’s not much, but for her, that would make a big difference.

The sales rep from Independent Home was great. He was down-to-earth and was not a hard sell because I had done a lot of checking online and read up on different things. I went first with Safe Step but didn't like the response we got from them. The two installers from Independent Home were good too. They were very polite, very caring about our house and took time to explain things to us. They accidentally cut a wire in our bathroom and spent a long time with my husband in getting things corrected, but they were good. I was worried about the mess but the guys cleaned up after themselves really nice and I couldn't ask for a better experience.

I like that I can sit in the new walk-in tub and have aromatherapy, which was what I wanted for myself. I started using the walk-in because it was easier for me to get in and out of it rather than my hot tub. So, I shut down my hot tub to use the walk-in tub myself. Also, I love the quality. I hope that anybody else that has back problems, neck problems, or any kind of problems take time to really look into it. I didn't realize how much it would even benefit me.

Independent Home response

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your kind words and for getting the tub for your mother! That is great to hear and we are glad that she is able to bath independently now. Have a wonderful day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I was thinking about a walk-in tub and I already talked to a person that had done some work for us and he came and told me all the kind of things that would have to be done, and so I ended up deciding not to do a walk-in tub. This was about six months before I found out about Independent Home. When the rep from Independent Home came, it was later on in the day and he took all the time in the world. He was fantastic, very patient and he explained very well.

Three guys came to do the installation and I knew they were coming. A couple of things were explained to me such that they were gonna have to take out the frame of the door into the bathroom and that they were gonna have to do some work downstairs so that we had the right kind of electric so that wasn't gonna be a problem. He took extra time because I've had a lot of different jobs in my life and I am not one that just says, "Okay, go ahead and do it." In a nice way, I found out what they would have to do. Then, we agreed that some of the tiles could stay the way it was, and it would work out well. But they had to do some major work on getting the unit, so it would fit and so then, when they actually brought it, they were able to make it right into the room. They had to be careful but they were strong. One of them was more experienced than the other. The one that was less experienced took orders very well and did exactly what he was told to do.

I like that I was able to talk to my wife into doing it. I'm able to sit in it and when it's filling in from the bottom, I'm able to wash my hair. I don't have to wait until it's full to do that, so that's one nice feature. I like the ability to be able to soak and then have the bubbles come flying around, which is nice. When I'm finished and I pull on the chain, it does not take very long to be emptied, which is an important thing. Another important thing that they’re way ahead of most competition is that about five minutes after it has emptied, for about a minute and a half, I hear the other pump working, taking all the water out of the system. So, when we fill up next time, there's no dirty water that mixes all in, which is a great feature.

Independent Home response

Hi George,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your recommendation. We are happy to hear that your installation was performed with care. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

My wife had an accident and we were gonna do a Thermospa that I saw on TV. I talked with my older brother who has polio and has never been able to walk. He's up-to-date on what does and doesn't work. He told me that if we get a spa in our back patio, we'll never get to where we can use it because of the weather. Plus, there are the chemicals and getting her in and out of it. It wasn't a luxury item though, it was medically necessary with the circulation because of my wife's diabetes and her back injury. My brother suggested to get a tub. I looked at Pat Boone with Safe Step. I also got looking online and Independent Home kept popping. They were at the top of ConsumerAffairs and the voters rate it highly.

I really liked the sale rep and what he stood for. We sat in my home, talked for a minute and saw what was going on in our situation. He told me a little bit about his history, what he had done previously, and where he was at now. I was comfortable with him. He was a straight shooter and aboveboard. He wasn't a high-pressure salesman. He laid the price on the table with everything it came with and said that it was not going one way or another and that we were getting a good deal.

I checked into Safe Steps, Kohler, Jacuzzi, and even Re-Bath in Macon. They start out 18,000 and go up into the 20s, which was really pricey. We live in a retirement community and my neighbor next-door said that his cousin was looking into getting one that was 25,000. I thought that was a little bit over-the-top and ridiculous. We came in at 9,000 with Independent Home, which was really good. What I like most about Independent Home though is that the tub has a lifetime warranty on it and the warranty goes along with the house. A lot of other companies offer a five-year warranty. If we ever sell the house, the tub is gonna be a selling point in a 55 and up retirement community.

The tub we got has all the bells and whistles to it. It has aromatherapy, the head shower, the air massage, a seating area, and the eight jets. Independent Home also put in some safety grips and hand grips. We put it in our guest bathroom, so it didn't interfere with the master bath. The two guys that came over to install it were aboveboard and really professional. They pulled up with their truck and trailer and they were in and out in one day. Plus, they cleaned up after themselves.

When my wife gets out of that tub at night, she can get a whole night's sleep. She doesn't wake up in the middle of the night and cuss in pain. The doctor has gone as far with her that they were able to go and there's nothing else that science can do for her. I was just taking a chance, but I feel very blessed that I ran across Independent Home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

We are pleased that this company, Independent Home called us and came to show us their products for their walk-in shower. Glad we decided to go with them. The installers were very nice and professional. Our shower now looks beautiful. We are satisfied and very glad to have this done.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

My husband was getting sick, which made us decide to get the Independent Home tub. My hat goes off to the two workers that came. They were very polite, courteous, concerned, and attentive. They did great work. I like the tub and my favorite feature is the jets. Using the tub has been a wonderful experience.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

The salesperson and the installation team was very prompt regarding times. If there was a delay regardless how small, they would phone us and kept us informed. Everyone took extra steps to ensure the unit would be installed correctly and be very operational. We are excited and look forward to using the unit for years to come.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I’m 81 and I could not get in and out of my bathtub without serious injury if I fell, so I bought the walk-in tub. I love it because it’s so easy to get in and out of. You just walk in. I had a safety bar put in also as I go in and I have one on the wall. The installers were wonderful. They came and put the floor down and let it season down there before they put the windows up. I’m very satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

We’re enjoying the shower so far. We are able to get in and out. We both are aging and I’ve had knee surgery on both legs. It was getting to the point that we needed to have an easier way to be able to bathe. Before, we had two full baths and with tubs. So, this one from Independent Home has made it more convenient for us, having to be able to take a good shower without having to take a bath in the tub. It has very nice quality too. The installers were very quick and on time. They cleaned up. When they left, everything was immaculately well done. Their installation looked professional and we were really pleased.

Their sales representative was very friendly as well. As matter of fact, he came a couple of times, answered our questions and remeasured to make sure everything was the way that we wanted it. We were pleased with him. He didn’t push us at all. He showed us what was available and then he let us make our own decision. So, we ended up calling him back with a decision.

Independent Home Company Information