Call toll free
4.76/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

671 Independent Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 15, 2019

Spa install - The men were very kind and did the job in a very timely fashion. My husband was unfortunately not able to be here as he was in the hospital, but I think it will be a big help and surprise when he gets to come home. It is really beautiful. I am excited to try it out soon.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I was looking for a walk-in tub. I wanted one due to medical reasons. I looked at different models and I liked a unit from Independent Homes. It has what I consider a good lifetime warranty. I also liked the position of its handles, how its door worked, the number of its jets and the air in the outputs, and that it fits. I bought the tub and the purchasing process was easy. They provided me with everything that I requested for prior to signing the contract, which included a certificate of insurance. That was a little difficult as it had to come from their corporate office.

I noted in the contract that if that was not satisfactory, the contract was not to be held up. When I got the certificate, I was satisfied with it. The transaction I had with Independent Home was better than anyone else that I have talked to and I was happy with it. I was also happy with the installation of the tub and I was impressed with the team that came. There was one team that worked on the demolition in my bathroom and another one did the installation. The whole job took three days. I'm happy with the tub and it has definitely been a help to me.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I am very happy with my walk-in tub from Independent Home. I was about to have hip replacement surgery, and I thought that the walk-in tub would be beneficial for me. It would be easier to get in and out of the tub than having to step over a jacuzzi and get in. The walk-in tub that I got didn’t have a big shower, but I can shampoo my hair while I’m sitting there. It’s convenient for me because it fits in where the jacuzzi was. You sit down, you turn the water on and before you know it, you’re ready to bathe. It also dispenses out quickly.

I love the tub. It doesn’t leak and I had plenty of room at the end to build a little cabinet where I can put towels. The only downside was when the tub was completely installed, there seemed to be a lot of cool air. We tried to put a lot of insulation underneath and that helped. Also, the customer service hasn't called to ask me if I liked it. That would've been nice. There were a few things that I thought they could’ve done differently. And fortunately, I had a person that finished it off. If I was talking to somebody and they were looking at my tub, I would tell them all the good things about it. But I would also tell them to be very careful when they’re talking with them to be sure that they’re completely satisfied when they leave because they won’t hear from them again.

Original review: March 14, 2019

John is very talented, thorough, thoughtful and kind. He is professional, trustworthy and a joy to have working in my home. Very few workers leave the work area as clean as John has left my home and garage. His personality and sense of humor was most pleasant. And I really like the spa too!

Original review: March 13, 2019

My bath tub and counter top were removed and replaced in 2 days. The work crew were very courteous and efficient. Our drain pipe was not placed correctly but the 2 men took care of the problem very nicely. They had to drill the cement and change water pipes in order for the placement of the shower drain opening to fit. I was pleased with their workmanship.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: March 13, 2019

My wife, who is 70 years old wanted a tub. Although her doctor was concerned that the strong jets can hurt and bring damage to elderly skin, she wanted it to shoot out water. And so we looked for ones that were more air jets. We considered a couple of other companies but the price was a bit more than what we wanted to spend. And when the salesman from Independent Home had left, I read through the ad and found they had veterans' discount, and they were more than happy to apply that to the price after we negotiated. But we never heard from the salesman again. The follow up was bad as well because there wasn't any. In addition to that, a pillow and a headrest were committed to us but they never came. When I got a hold of a customer service rep, I was told that they must have missed it and so they'll get them out to me as soon as they can and they did.

The two guys who did the installation were great. They came in and asked if I wanted the old tub, and I said no. They put plastic around it, cut it up, got it out and worked on how they were gonna put the surround around. Also, they had a problem that they figured out quickly. All our other fixtures in the bathroom are bronze. And so, when we ordered the walk-in tub, we ordered bronze fixtures. The two guys weren't used to installing these. They were a little different from their standard. But they got it in and it looks great. So far, it's easy to get into the tub. I've used it once but my wife uses it every two days. She's very pleased and happy with it.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Installers were very courteous and friendly. Kept us informed throughout the entire process. Both Jason and Josh were very professional and helpful. They both cleaned up great and let my bathroom looking very nice. I would recommend to anyone.

Original review: March 12, 2019

The installation was excellent more then we expected. The installers were very professional and very nice and clean. Had a very good experience with the installers. We would definitely recommend independent homes for the showers or tubs and the installers for there good work. John **.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had my son-in-law research different companies and he gave me three choices. I called Independent Home and two others. Their representatives came out and I chose Independent Home. They were better all over and their customer service was excellent. All of the people were courteous and very good to deal with. The techs that installed the tub did an excellent job and they did it in a day. I love my walk-in tub.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have been wanting to have a tub from Independent Home and finally, was able to get one. It made me so happy. I’m 73, and getting in and out of a regular tub was a nightmare. The step-in is so low. But it’s easy in the tub from Independent Home. I don’t get nervous trying to get in or out, making sure there’s something I can hang on to if I need to. It’s a lot of peace of mind. I don’t worry when I go take a hot soak because of my arthritis and fibromyalgia. So being able to sit down without having to struggle to get up is also a blessing. Both of my knees are shut. I have half of a patella so kneeling down is painful, and I’d have to kneel down to get up in a regular tub. In this one from Independent Home, I just stand up. The tub is easy to clean as well. I love it and it’s such a joy to have one.

The installation went extremely well. The installers had to take a doorframe out because the opening was just a smidge and it was too narrow to get the tub in. But they put it back up and you couldn’t tell it was ever taken down. Everything was clean. The guys were also polite and nice. When they needed to, they asked me a question and I’d tell them what I wanted. It was incredible. The guys were just awesome.

Original review: March 10, 2019

We were talking about getting a walk-in tub and after I answered something back, Independent Home had somebody call and ask me if we were interested in one. I said yes and the reps weren't pushy. Their unit's quality was a little better than the rest. Previously, I looked at some tubs and somebody told me the things to look out for. When I saw this one, it looked like it had all the options they said we needed. The installers showed up early one morning and it was seven o’clock that afternoon they were finished and out of there. They did it all in one day.

We used the tub and it worked out great, but we noticed that it takes a little while to fill it up as well as to empty it out. It needs a heater above to do that and we already had that because we had a Whirlpool in the room where we put the tub. It would have been easier to know about the water heater sizing before we made any specific decisions about it. When I step in a shower, I can have warm water, but when I sit down in this thing, I gotta wait for a few minutes for the water to get up high enough to turn anything on. Also, my wife had some trouble getting in and out of the tub because she’s a larger person that I am by a little, but I love the tub. It helps us enjoy the relaxation of the circulating water and vibration of the air bubbles.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We were having problems with our old bathtub and we knew there was water damage down there, so Independent Home came. They fixed the water damage and installed the walk-in bathtub, which was for my daughter. However, she was having trouble with her legs, so she decided on the shower rather than the tub. The reps were extremely good when I made the purchase and although I thought Independent Home was a little expensive, the service was excellent. It didn’t take long to install my daughter’s tub. It took two days which was very quick. I was gonna get an estimate for my other bathroom and I would like to know the price for that.

Original review: March 7, 2019

We went with Independent Home for the ease of the installation, the quality of the materials, and customer satisfaction. Their sales team was wonderful. But we had hurricanes, floods and power outages after we bought the walk-in shower in October, so the installation was delayed for a couple of weeks. But when the tech finally got here, the installation was fast, nice and competent. The tech stayed for two and a half days, and then he was out and it was all cleaned up.

We’re still in the works on the customer service though. I have a little crack at the bottom of one of the glass panels, so it leaks. The other panel, meanwhile, doesn’t close very easily. Also, the grab bar is not in the right place, and we need to either move it or make another one. We noticed the issues around Thanksgiving, and the tech was supposed to come back and fix them. Then we went out of town on the 10th of January. When we came back, I got in touch with Independent Home, and I’ve been trying to get a tech back here since the 25th of January.

When we talked to the installer who was the person who’ll be doing the repair, I had called the main company and they had contacted him. He contacted us, and then he said, “Well, I have to get back with them to see if the next installation in the area ..." So now, I feel like I’m in a loop and that we’ve fallen through the cracks. The negative is a bit stronger than my positive because the positive was too long ago. My mom is the reason why we got the shower in the first place, and at this point, the way it is, it’s really not safe enough. When she doesn’t feel safe, I’m very cognizant when she takes showers. Nevertheless, I feel that Independent Home is legitimate and that they will come through. When we’re finished fixing those three issues, I’m gonna love the shower.

Original review: March 6, 2019

The rep at Independent Home responded to my questions and what I found was sufficient. The installers who came were nice. It took them about two-thirds of the day to complete the job. So far, it's nice to not have to climb over anything about three inches. I have some kind of leg disability and I don't get around well. It's also nice to have a built-in seat to sit down. I used to have a stool to sit down and there's always a danger of falling over. My experience with Independent Home has been good.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I like getting in the tub, sitting in it and soaking in it a little bit, and that’s what brought me and my husband's attention to Independent Home. I got a call from them and what they talked about interested me. They came out and showed me brochures. Purchasing the tub went good and the installation was okay too. They did it in a few days. They set it in and we could use it. I was skeptic then about getting in it but now, it’s easy for me to get in and out of it. I love getting in our tub. If I don’t fill the water all the way up in it, just taking the shower in it is good for me, either sitting down or standing up. It’s really good and it’s handy with me and my husband doing that. I love our Independent Home tub.

Original review: March 4, 2019

We’re doing fine with our Independent Home tub, so far. We have a handicapped house with big doors to the bathroom so the installation didn't take too long. They just took one tub out and put the Independent Home tub in. We’ve used it and we like it. I do a lot of exercises in it. The tub is deep enough that it gets over my knees, so I stand up and walk up and down. I am experiencing good relief from it and I think it is a good tub. I was guaranteed that they would come and fix the tub any time without charge and that they’d move the tub if we need to for nothing. I just wonder if that’s true. But as far as I know, it’s a good tub and I’ve not had any trouble with it.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I bought a walk-in tub from Independent Home as the quality of the work and the whole set up looked so much better than the other ones, which looked like they weren't even finished. The lady who came out was very thorough and she explained everything as best as she could. Also, the guy I talked to on the phone before they brought the unit in wanted to know if my husband was going to be using it and I said, “Yes, but it would be like in a stand-up position. He wouldn’t use the jets.”

The whole installation took a day and a half. The first time the installation team came out, they didn't get it all done and so they came back out the next day. The guys were especially nice. They were very polite, thorough with their work, and really did a good job. They had to take a part of the door frame off in order to get the tub through the doorway. They also put it all back.

I really enjoy the walk-in tub and I'm very happy with the whole thing. The unit that I got have air and water jets and I use both of them. It also has a handheld shower and another one that attaches to the wall for you to have it hands-free. One drawback I can see about the tub is having to sit in it while it’s filling up for five minutes. I get a little chilly, but I’ve learned to put a towel over my shoulders, and it works out fine. I also turn the heater on. I have neuropathy and the tub helps with it a lot. My legs and body feel so good after I use it. It makes it so much nicer and I sleep better. I would highly recommend the tub.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Our overall experience with Independent Home was very positive. They were prompt on arrival. The three men seemed very knowledgeable and efficient at their job. The men seemed to work well together and explained the product in detail. All of our questions were answered. My husband and I would highly recommend Independent Home. We would also give praise to Francis ** who was the rep that was sent to explain the product. He was very thorough in his explanation and presentation of the walk in tub/shower.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Since I'm old, I wanted a walk-in shower. I saw a lot of advertisements but I didn’t like any of them. Then Independent Home came along and I bought their product. It is more attractive than other brands. I paid too much for it, but I just bought it anyway. The design lacks some thought, though. It was more designed for parents than it was for utilities, but it is okay. Independent Home could change the shower head and put a longer cord on it, and change the position of the safety bars. The installation people were excellent, nevertheless.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I wanted a walk-in tub and I saw the Independent Home Walk-in Bathtub that I like in one of the magazines. I purchased one and the installer of Independent Home did a good job. He cleaned up behind himself and I was pleased with him. I’m okay with the walk-in tub, but I may want a bit bigger showerhead. I’m so used to a big shower head with a lot of water coming, and that's the thing that I miss. Now, I use the tub twice a week and use the shower more than that. I’ve gotten to where I fall a lot, but with my walk-in tub, I never fell in the bathroom since I have a chair in there.

Original review: March 1, 2019

We have not used the tub yet. The installers were very nice and respectful. Wrong color was sent but it looks fine so no problem with that. We did not have the shower section installed. Would be nice if they called the night before to give us the time they would arrive. Still satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Excellent installation. Dean and Alex were very courteous, knowledgeable, and always willing to explain any questions we might have had. They are excellent employees of your firm. I would highly recommend them to any of our friends and family. They went above and beyond.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

We are so proud of our new walk in shower. Scott and Jeffrey our installers were wonderful. They did everything they said they would do and more. They were on time every day, had great personalities, were accommodating, professional and now our friends.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

The installers were very professional and courteous to me and my daughter. Took very good care of my house and possessions and also kept work area clean. They arrived on time and finished in an appropriate time. The product looks very good. Cannot wait to use it.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have arthritis and bad knees and my joints are getting old. I saw the Independent Home walk-in tub on TV and I said, “I bet it would help me.” The tub was everything I thought it would be because of the advertisement and it was fine. The price was right and I was able to get financed right away. The guys who installed the tub were beautiful and they finished the whole thing in an afternoon. I had no headaches. They came in and fixed everything. They had to move my sink and they moved it. They didn’t wanna charge me anything, but they helped me and I am very satisfied with the product. The tub looks very nice. It is really good to relax. I don’t have to go to a public place. I can go home and go downstairs and enjoy the tub. I’ve tried to talk to some of my relatives and I told them, “Just come over and sit on the tub and let the bubbles get a hold of you, and you go enjoy.”

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The installation crew was very polite and professional. They maintained a clean and tidy work area at all times and the final cleanup was very nice also. Very professional and polite, would recommend them to anyone. Thanks!

Hi Byron,

Thanks for your kind words and for your recommendation. Have a wonderful day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Jay, our installer, was the best. His knowledge of the tub and how it worked was outstanding. The Independent Home walk in tub works far better than expected. Would recommend you buy from Independent Home for your walk in tub. Thank you.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your recommendation of Independent Home Walk-In Tubs! Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

The installers were very professional and courteous. They did a very good job to take care of my property and possessions. They arrived on time and finished in a timely manner. The product really looks great. I am very satisfied with product and installation.

Hi Shirley,

We are so glad to hear that you are very satisfied with the product and the installation! Thanks for taking the time to post your review!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Independent Home's salesman came by my house, talked to us and showed us their product. My knees are giving out and my wife really liked the walk-in tub. The installers were professional and really good. And they didn't break a lot. They stayed at it for a day and a half until they got the job finished. The walk-in tub is well-built and changed my wife's day-to-day. She loves taking hot baths, and when mama is happy, everybody is happy. I'd recommend Independent Home.

Hi Paul,

We are happy to hear "when mama is happy, everybody is happy." Thanks for your kind recommendation!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I had an Independent Home walk-in tub installed and I’m pleased with everything that went on. They sent somebody who I could talk to and really show me some pictures up close that I could see. The personal contact pleased me since I cannot get around very well. We then had the installers and they were working in a pretty tight spot here. We're a narrow hall, and to cut the big pieces that they had to get, they were here for quite a while. They came about 10:15 in the morning and it was 7:30 that night before they left. There was a lot of dust but they cleaned up very well after themselves.

The next day, while I was cleaning up a little bit better than what they had, I found a scratch on my hardwood floor. It could be from when they tried to carry a big piece around the corner, but it’s unavoidable and everything’s fine. A little bit of elbow grease and some polish took care of that. Prior to the installation of my walk-in tub, I just had a stool in the tub that I had, and now, I’m glad to have a place to sit down in the shower.

Independent Home expert review by Shelley Webb

A manufacturer of walk-in bathtubs and showers since 2002, the company was started with the simple mission of helping people have a safe, enjoyable bathing experience without being inhibited by mobility problems.

• Walk-in tub standard features: Walk-in tubs from Independent Homes come with standard features that include a low 5-inch step-in, a built-in safety grab bar, a soft touch electronic control panel, textured seats and floors, aerotherapy and hydrotherapy spa systems and more.

• Draining: Select tubs are equipped with a cable-operated 2-inch fast drain system and a pump-operated speed drain. These tubs can be drained in 90-120 seconds.

• Wheelchair-accessible tubs: Independent Home’s wheelchair-accessible bathtubs have outward-swinging doors that open 37.5 inches. The tub’s chair is 21 inches high to allow for easier access from a wheelchair.

• Specialty tubs: Independent Home offers specialty tubs like bariatric models, compact walk-in tubs, models with attached lifts and walk-in showers.

• Customer support: Independent Homes offers customer support through email, online chat and over the phone. You can call or email them for a free estimate.

• Best for: individuals with limited mobility and senior citizens who want to maintain independent lifestyles.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Independent Home Company Information