4.78/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

767 Independent Home Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 15, 2019

We had a representative come to our house and he ended up selling us a tub. I've been through the mill with salespeople and been a salesperson. I kinda know the ins and outs of stuff like that, and some of it rubs me the wrong way. But the rep from Independent Home was personable and he knew about the product. He is a fellow veteran, so we connected on that. The installation guys did a wonderful job. They knew exactly what they were doing. They were clean and they didn’t leave a mess. They was super nice, friendly, and willing to do whatever we needed. Even when they had to come back, they were the same. There was something wrong with the motor. It would make a super loud, ear-piercing sound. They had to replace the motor and it has been working good since then.

The original door of the bathroom wasn’t real wide so they put a bigger door. We had a cast iron bathtub and it was super heavy. It was a total surprise to me that they took it out and didn’t have to take any walls down. The only thing was that the installer didn't pay attention and when he had to go to a local hardware to get the door, he got the left-hand instead of the right-hand opening. The door that he took out opened to the right, but he got a door that opened to the left. He asked us if we were not happy because he could go back and get the other one. But we went ahead and told him it was okay. We’ve had to get used to the door and opening it the opposite way, but we’re pretty well used to it now.

My wife uses the bath more than I do. I'm a shower guy, but I have also used the bath and the jets. We were expecting that tub had to be warmer than what it is. It don’t seem warm to me and my wife. I was expecting some warm air. I got the impression that the air was warm enough to field warm air. This definitely does not feel warm. Also, the shower is a little bit small but it is still okay. It does the job and I like the handles to hold on to, and the seat. I have trouble bending over and I use the seat to put my feet up to wash it. All in all, we’re happy with the tub. It works like they said it would.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have an elderly lady at my church who got a walk-in tub and it cost her 13,000. She said it was the most wonderful thing she has ever done. I have multiple cirrhosis. So, it's difficult for me to maneuver, walk around and get in and out the bathtub. I like to take a bath and my husband always likes to take a shower. We have a stand up shower and it got to be difficult. On occasions, I would have to have him lift my leg over the edge of the tub or out of the tub. So, we went looking at Lowe's or Menards. They have these nice big shower stalls and they weren’t all that expensive, but by the time we bought the door and everything, it was around $1,500. In the midst of looking at that, we came up on a walk-in tub at Menards and it was 39.99.

I had neuropathy in the feet and it may be good for my legs. The walk-in tub has got the water jets and everything. So, we started searching and typing in walk-in tub on the internet but nobody has any that you could look at. Home Depot and Lowe's sell them but nobody could tell you anything about them. You have to look it all up online. You also could not go to any store and look at one. So, I was typing in for there was some in Missouri and I came up with Independent Home. Ari was the first person I talked to. He was very nice and answered all my questions.

My husband put the tub in. He had to call and question some stuff, and whoever it was my husband talked to told him that these tubs are inspected when they go out of here. So, I'm gonna find out who inspected that tub because it was just in a little line that went from one of the water jets to the pump. My husband figured out what to do. I like my tub and it takes plenty of water. We had to replace our hot water heater, so I can't take that into cost consideration because I had to have it replaced anyway. So now, we're going to get one that just services that tub like a booster to it.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My wife was having some problems and I saw something on the internet about walk-in tubs, so I decided to get one. Independent Home was the first one that called me back and I had no problem with them. I had a few questions and they answered them. I purchased a tub and a shower and the installation team was good. They took about 4 hours and got things done. However, the dealer furnished me with a couple of broken pieces when they put it together, but then everything went well. I was also gonna call them about the handheld shower if they had one with a smaller grip on it since the grip on it is rather large. My wife has small hands and it's hard for her to hold onto it. I have one with a smaller grip but I don't know whether I should put it in without talking to them first or not.

The only thing I didn't like about the whole process was when we talked about financing. I was under the impression that they were gonna hold the paper themselves until I paid them off. I paid them $5,000 down, which was half of the amount, and they said I could have the other 5,000 for 18 months with zero interest. That was fine but I didn't know they were gonna send it to some Synchrony Bank or something like that. And I didn't like to deal with those guys. As soon as I opened it up, I see they charged 26.99% and that kinda sucked. I wasn’t paying any interest, but that's a horrible rate of interest to charge anybody for anything. I didn't even know about that until they sent me a credit card and I don't want any credit card from these people back in Florida. They also didn't wanna take no for an answer when I told them I didn't want the credit card.

So, I just went ahead and paid the whole thing off so I wouldn't have to mess with the bank. And I've been getting a thing in the email saying that my balance is paid so I'm good there. Still, I would have liked a little bit more transparency with the financing part. Other than that, our experience with Independent Home was good. They did what they said they were gonna do, when they said they were gonna do it. I would also recommend them.

Hi Robert,

We are happy to hear that your walk-in tub and shower combination is working well. Thank you for your recommendation and have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: April 13, 2019

I'm getting older now and I slipped in the tub. It's funny because Independent Home had come out and talked to me and I haven’t decided. And then I went to take a shower and I dropped shampoo in the bottom of the tub. I slipped on it and the only thing that saved me from falling was one of these little cheap chairs that I put in my shower. That was God telling me I need to invest in something for my health. I received a phone call from Independent Home and the woman asked me if had I ever thought about getting a walk-in tub, and we started a conversation. Then she said she would send somebody out to show me the pictures and give me an idea of what was involved and the price. They weren’t pushy and they weren’t selling. They didn’t tell me to buy anything. She just told me what the product was and how long it would take them to install it.

I sat in my living room during the installation. My bathroom is upstairs and the installers were running up and down the stairs like crazy. I kept saying, "Can I see it?" "No, you can't see it yet." "Can I see it now?" "No, can't see it now." But they worked so fast and they were so sweet. Also, there wasn’t a speck of anything anywhere. One guy told me my hot water heater wasn’t big enough for the project. So, he came back in a couple of weeks, took me to Home Depot because I have no transportation, picked up a hot water heater and everything he needed and installed it for me. How many people are gonna come and take you to buy a product? He went way above and beyond.

I love the tub. It's a walk-in tub with the jets, and it has a shower and with the shower chair. It's like a sit-in shower that you take a bath in. I've taken a couple of Epsom salts baths in it which were very enjoyable. I mostly use the shower section that I love because it's mounted on the wall, and you can slide it up and down. I'm happy.

Hi Retha,

Thanks for sharing your experience and we are happy to hear that your new walk-in tub is helping you avoid more falls. We also appreciate you noting that our sales staff is not pushy. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

One of my friends in a nearby town told me that there was a guy over at her house, trying to sell her an Independent Home walk-in tub. She lives off her Social Security and couldn't afford it. She as told she could get a loan, but she doesn't don’t make that much off Social Security to pay a loan off. I said I was interested in the walk-in tub and to send the guy over. She gave him my phone number and he made an appointment with me.

I’ve seen pictures of other brands and some of the prices were more than what Independent Home's were. Independent Home's price of $16,000 is still too damn high though. They say everybody can afford it. If it cost about $5,000, everybody would probably have one, but it cost $16,000. I’m fortunate enough to have money to get one but I know six other people that came over here, looked at it and said they wish they could afford one. The other ones cost even more, with some costing 25.

You couldn’t find anybody any better and nicer than the two guys that put it in. They were terrific. They took one day for the installation, plus they also installed a water heater that day. I had some trouble with mine though. The part that ran the air bubbles and the water motion inside of it went out about a month after I got the tub. It was all covered, but I had to call somebody and it took them two weeks to get here. I could still take a bath, but I couldn’t run the air jets and the water circulation. That's what helps me a whole lot. I have trouble with my legs and it makes them feel a whole lot better. They were so busy at the time because they also contract and build houses. The walk-in tubs are just a sideline for them.

The tub is convenient but it says down at the bottom that the tub is 3 inches off the floor, but mine is 9 inches off the floor. I’m bound to a motorized wheelchair and I can get up, but I can’t walk. As long as I’m holding onto something, I don't have difficulty getting in and out the tub. But once I sit down, I have to have my son to help me get back up whenever I wanna stand up in the tub. Everybody should have an Independent Home walk-in tub if they could afford it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

The installers arrived on time. They were very professional and very clean. They took care of all my possessions and belongings. I think they did a wonderful job. I am very proud of the work and craftsmanship done. They did good.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

My wife was not able to get in and out of our tub. She had to have something with a door on it where she could walk in. Someone called from Independent Home. We had a representative come out and explain everything to us before we purchased their walk-in tub. The installation went fairly well other than the fact that the installers seemed a little bit slow and took too much time doing it. They were supposed to be in here at 10 o'clock on a Friday, but they were late. They got started at about 4 o'clock that afternoon and they didn't finish the installation until Sunday afternoon. They did a good job though. But I don't know if Independent Home checks out if the people do the tub work or not. Also, the installer tried to glue a magnet in to hold the door panel but didn't stay on there.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I received a phone call from some reps and they asked if they could come and talk about walk-in tubs. I agreed and since Independent Home's product is a commercial grade and guaranteed for life, I decided to buy from them. They sounded like a good place, too. The dealer I dealt was good though I wish we got the shower instead of the tub. He told me more about the tub and we thought the tub would be great because we both need to sit down and just rest. But the fact is, we don't. We didn't ask about the shower and it was totally our fault. Aside from that, I would like to have a guide. I haven't gotten one and I need something to tell me what the tub does. Other than that, the installers were great and they worked hard. I'd recommend Independent Home.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I liked Independent Home's pricing and their product looked a little bit better than others. Their sales team was great as well and my installation experience was fantastic. It was a good experience overall and Independent Home did what I asked them to do.

Hi Louise,

Thanks for your kind world and recommendation of Independent Home. We are happy your installation experience was fantastic. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 28, 2019

Since we already had an Independent bathtub seven years ago, we knew what we were looking for. It was a satisfactory buying experience. The dealer had a good line of information and was willing to share it. The installation team was a little late getting here because they had to pick up their equipment and the tub itself in Charleston, South Carolina. It also took them a while to lay their hands on it, but they came on up and worked well into the evening. And then, was up and did it again the next day, and finished it up. The salesperson and the installation team were both fantastic.

Hi Beecher,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for choosing Independent Home a 2nd time! We appreciate the recommendation. Have a super day!

Independent Home expert review by Shelley Webb

A manufacturer of walk-in bathtubs and showers since 2002, the company was started with the simple mission of helping people have a safe, enjoyable bathing experience without being inhibited by mobility problems.

• Walk-in tub standard features: Walk-in tubs from Independent Homes come with standard features that include a low 5-inch step-in, a built-in safety grab bar, a soft touch electronic control panel, textured seats and floors, aerotherapy and hydrotherapy spa systems and more.

• Draining: Select tubs are equipped with a cable-operated 2-inch fast drain system and a pump-operated speed drain. These tubs can be drained in 90-120 seconds.

• Wheelchair-accessible tubs: Independent Home’s wheelchair-accessible bathtubs have outward-swinging doors that open 37.5 inches. The tub’s chair is 21 inches high to allow for easier access from a wheelchair.

• Specialty tubs: Independent Home offers specialty tubs like bariatric models, compact walk-in tubs, models with attached lifts and walk-in showers.

• Customer support: Independent Homes offers customer support through email, online chat and over the phone. You can call or email them for a free estimate.

• Best for: individuals with limited mobility and senior citizens who want to maintain independent lifestyles.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Independent Home Company Information