4.5/5 (55 ratings)

About Independent Home

Independent Home provides the highest-grade walk-in bathtubs on the market at the most affordable prices. We are a factory direct, family business that does everything under one roof. Our end-to-end business offers free consultations, product selection, installation, and service, all backed by a lifetime warranty. Purchase with confidence from Independent Home.

Pros

• Customizable models
    • Installation discounts
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Rain showerhead options

Cons

• Capacity may affect water heater
    • No online pricing

Bottom Line

Independent Home offers several walk-in bathtubs, including wheelchair-accessible options. The company offers many tub sizes, including bariatric models. Get an in-home consultation for a quote.

Top Independent Home Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I love my walk-in tub. My only regret is I didn't get it sooner. Salesman was great and very nice. He actually listened to my needs and didn't push anything on me. The installers ...

Verified

We called Independent Home and they came out and they discussed the product with us. ... The installation was wonderful. The crew came about 8:30 and they were finished with the j...

Independent Home models

Independent Home makes eight different walk-in tub models. Each comes equipped with many standard features, including fast-fill faucets and speed drains. Higher-end models include luxury features such as air or whirlpool hydrotherapy, dual massage jets and color-soothing chromotherapy.

The company also makes walk-in shower options for places where a tub might not be the right fit due to customer preference or bathroom size limitations.

Independent Home’s walk-in tub models include a deep-soak walk-in tub with optional massage jets, a structurally upgraded acrylic model and a wheelchair-accessible tub. All Independent Home shower and tub seats are ADA-compliant, making for a safer and more comfortable shower or bath experience.

The company’s walk-in tubs vary by features including the number of jets, the size of the tub and hydrotherapy options. Several models are designed for specific needs:

• The Access is a wheelchair-accessible model that helps those in wheelchairs safely get in and out of the bathtub.
    • The Royal is designed for larger individuals and has a power-controlled seat for lifting and lowering a person into the bath.
    • The Cube is a compact walk-in bathtub designed to fit into an existing shower stall space.

Standard features of Independent Home walk-in tubs

All Independent Home walk-in tubs and showers come with multiple standard features. In addition to industry-wide features, such as a low step-in threshold and a wide door, Independent Home walk-in tubs offer relaxing components that help to invigorate and gently massage your body during a shower or bath.

Independent Home walk-in tub installation

Independent Home provides certified installers to install your walk-in tub. These installers come from multiple trades, including plumbing, electrical, demolition and finish work. Installation specialists are experts in this field and usually average well over 500 installations completed.

Independent Home holds its technicians to strict standards. Each representative explains how to use the tub after they install it, and each customer signs a completion certificate stating they’re satisfied with the work.

Every walk-in tub is tested during construction with checkpoints that guarantee the quality of the electrical components and integrity of the watertight seal. As a factory-direct company, Independent Home adheres to a standard of single-source accountability for sales, installation and service.

It usually takes one day to complete the installation. All Independent Home walk-in tubs are turnkey solutions designed to replace existing bathtubs.

Independent Home walk-in tub cost and financing

The cost of an Independent Home walk-in tub ranges widely (installation is included), but it varies by the model you choose and any add-ons or upgrades you select. Adding options like hydrotherapy increases price. Independent Home suggests calling to receive a free, customized quote for your walk-in tub or shower.

The company suggests having a specialist perform a free in-home estimate before purchasing a tub. The specialist measures your current bathroom and explains what’s required to install an Independent Home walk-in tub in your space. Having a technician inspect your bathroom lets the company give you the most accurate quote possible.

The company provides a $1,500-off installation coupon on its website, and financing is available to qualified buyers. If you’re a veteran with a disability, you may be able to subsidize a bathroom remodeling project with a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant.

Independent Home FAQ

What type of warranty does Independent Home offer?
    Independent Home backs its tubs with a lifetime warranty. You’re fully covered for all components of your tub.
    What are Independent Home’s walk-in tub dimensions?
    Independent Home walk-in tub sizes vary by model. They range from 33 by 35 inches to 26 to 26 inches, with several other measurement options between. All the company’s walk-in tubs are designed to fit inside an existing space for a standard tub. Its website suggests calling to find out more about specific sizing.
    Where can I buy an Independent Home walk-in tub?
    There are Independent Home walk-in tub locations in all 50 states and in Washington, D.C. You can connect with a local specialist through the company’s website. Independent Home manufactures its tubs at its headquarters on Long Island, New York. After meeting with a specialist, it usually takes between 10 and 14 days to order, build, ship and install your new walk-in tub.

Do we recommend Independent Home walk-in tubs?

Although the final price can only be determined after an in-home estimate, Independent Home guarantees quotes for a year and includes installation in the tub price. The company’s ADA-compliant tubs come in a variety of sizes and styles to fit different needs. According to Independent Home walk-in tub reviews, many customers enjoy their tubs and are pleased with the installation process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: June 14, 2022

I appreciate that I didn't have to start my payments right then. Independent Home gave me time to put away some money and save up. Greg the rep had all the information that we had talked about earlier and he knew exactly what I wanted. It made everything go smooth and fast. The installation crew was quick and they cleaned up after themselves. They were really professional and they didn't disturb me at all. The tub is different from my other one as far as the jets are concerned. They don't have the jets to where you can turn on different parts when you are sitting in the tub.

Also, I don't know the levels that are supposed to fill the tub in order for me to get the jets to go on my back. It has holes up there, but I don't feel it on my back at the top. So, I don't know if I need to mash the up button or mash the down button. Other than that, I'm enjoying it so far. It's the best decision I've made because I kept falling out from my other tub. Also, it's helping my arthritis as far as getting circulation going in my legs.

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for the positive review! A member of our Care team is going to reach out to you to help with your questions about the jets.

- The Independent Home Care Team

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2022

Independent Home's sales rep was very cool because he casually mentioned that they had a finance program and I availed of that. But I knew I had the money to do it, so I didn't really bring it up when the guy came to set up the tub. I gave them 5,000 upfront, then I told them I was going to finance the rest of the other 6,000, and he got very upset by the fact that I didn't tell him that before he set the tub up. He was very unprofessional and and when he found out I didn't have $11,000 to give him right then, his whole attitude changed. He contacted somebody that was in his upline and the guy that I talked to ran a credit check while the guy was here. The credit check was approved and he told the installation guy to go ahead and complete the installation. But he was going to take it apart where I couldn't use it. So that guy needs to know a lot more about business.

Perhaps, in the future, Independent Home can screen the people and inform them of the whole program, because he wasn't sure that I was going to be able to pay for the tub. That was a very bad experience with me and my wife was wondering if we were going to get physical with the way the guy was talking to me. Other than that, the young lady that talked to me periodically who was monitoring me and setting up the time for everything was most helpful.

During the installation, they tore open the threshold plate when they were trying to get it inside the house since the tub was too large to get it inside the door. But they jerry-rigged it and put it back down. I'm glad they didn’t leave that completely broken up but I can still see some cracks. They also had to take the bathroom door off and now, I can see daylight between the frame of the door and the room itself. But that's something that I can live with and I'll get something to patch up the little daylight I see. Aside from that, I can see some spaces that were missing where the caulking line is on the front of the tub. When they put the tub in and they caulked that part to seal it, they did not do a very good job. I've seen much better than that.

But the tub works fine. I didn't know about the jets and I like that feature. The pressure from the jets is good and I'm really satisfied with that because they do what I need them to do. They massage, and aid your back, feet, and legs. But I’ll put some kind of shield over the jets on the seat. It's a little irritating because of the pressure coming out and that's a sensitive area where that pressure is making contact with, but that's what you want.

Original review: June 4, 2022

The people were very kind and understanding and we're happy with Independent Home. The only thing that was a problem was the installers didn't come early in the morning. They came after 10:00. But it was because they had to go all the way to Orlando and pick up the tub. So they started a little late, and they ended late in the evening. But they did the job and we were pleased with what they did. But we didn't get enough hot water to fill it up over the jets. So we had to wait for the hot water. We have to put in a new instant hot water to get more hot water to fill the tub. But we have no problem using the shower until that gets installed. We have the product to put up, but we're having a little issue having it connected so we would get enough hot water to cover the jets. But we're dealing with that.

The installers had to come back and put in the shower part on the wall. The only thing that I have a problem with is that it doesn't lock it up there to stay. It keeps on sliding down the pole. So we can't get the shower thing to be high enough if we're standing to take a shower. But overall, the tub is very good for my husband. When he gets in the tub, he can sit down on it and have a shower, or sit in the hot water. I don't worry about him standing in the shower and falling.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I have a lot of health issues so we started looking at walk-in tubs about two years ago. We looked at Safe Step and something that was local. Price-wise, they compared to Independent Home. But the quality wasn't there. Francis with Independent Home came out and walked us through things. He did measurements and got us approved. The whole experience was good. Our first tub that was supposed to come got damaged so we had to wait an extra two or three days for them to ship another one. Installers came when they said they would and they put in the walk-in tub in the two days like they said they would. They got it all together and it’s wonderful. But it would have been better if there had been some way for me to have gotten in and out of the tub before it was installed. But it was already in the house and set up before I got to try to get in it.

The tub can hold a 300-pound person and getting in and out of it would be easy for someone of that weight. That was why we went with Independent. At that time, I was 280 and my son was 120. Our Independent tub door opens to the inside and it’s close to the feet. We’re having to get up on the seat, which is very difficult for me, to get the door closed before we can take our bath and get it open in order to get out. I have slid twice and I have broken my toes. The tub is so little for me and it’s a nightmare. My son also slipped in it and broke the inside of his left foot. But my husband does fine with the tub and enjoys it. He takes his shower.

I called and spoke to someone named Nate. He was supposed to talk to the owner of the company to get back in touch with him yesterday but I haven’t heard anything yet. I put another call to Nate this morning and we still haven’t heard back as to what we can do to fix our issue. Overall, the product is great. I love to look at the tub and I love the space that it took up.

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for your kind recommendation and for choosing us for your project! Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 15, 2021

I asked if there were certain amenities I can choose not to have and the Independent Home rep said no. I wasn't told there were different models. But I like the tub. It works great. I have the six water jets, the air jets and the light therapy as well as the aroma therapy. We might change the showerhead and get a little bit of better pressure on it. Also, we’ve been having some small problems with the surrounding stuff that was installed with tub and the way they had to fit the shelf in there. When the installer first put it in, the tub to the wall is about eight inches and we built a shelf there. But he built the shelf lower than the tub. So water would collect in that. It was about a half inch deep. So, I had a little tool, about six feet long, eight feet wide, and a half inch deep. I called and the guy put in another piece of masonry board in there. Then, he put another piece of surround on top and caulked it down.

We waited, like he said, two days before we used it. But I can go in there and I can push that little shelf down about a quarter of an inch. It's spongy. I don't know how he attached the surround to that masonry board. But right now, I've got a little bit of weight in there to try and keep it sealed. The first time he caulked as well, couple of spots shrinks a little bit as the caulk dries so some cracks showed up, and he filled them in. When he built that shelf again, when he caulked it and it dried and shrunk a little bit, some cracks showed up. So I'm caulking it myself again.

We're one of Independent Home’s younger customers because my wife is only 52 and I'm only 50. But we figured that it’s better to do it now while our minor inconveniences don't become ailments where it makes it so we have to have the walk-in tub. It's one of the better bangs for your buck. The only thing is to pay attention to some of the details and everything will be great. My wife loves it and even the teenagers are using the tub. It's like a spa treatment.

Original review: June 28, 2022

I'm glad the rep wasn't a car salesman. He was very upfront with everything and he was able to home demonstrate the material that was gonna go in. And that was what showed up. The installers were quiet. They weren’t cussing and screaming and carrying on. I was able to expand the shower over the tub that we had. The walk-in shower is worth it but it's a little more to clean. I like that the knob stays hanging on the wall and the grab bars are still in place.

Hi Lloyd,

We are happy to hear you were pleased with the experience and your shower! Thank you for the positive feedback.

- The Independent Home Care Team

Original review: June 16, 2022

Independent Home did a fantastic job. I liked the company's reliability, lifetime warranty, and price. The customer service reps were great. They really handled everything very professionally. Everything was done really well. The only thing is we thought our hot water heater was big enough to keep the water hot enough but I can get it about three-quarters full, and then it starts turning into ice-cold water. So, I'm gonna have to get a bigger hot water heater. Other than that, I love the tub. The jets are wonderful.

Original review: June 9, 2022

The Independent Home sales rep was very informative. The only thing was that he did not offer us any discount at all. I was a little bit concerned about that. So, we checked around other places and I called and they gave us a $500 discount on the outfit. When the representative comes in, he should be upfront about that. Our new walk-in shower is amazing. There were two fellas that came in to install. They came in around a little after 9:00 and they were done by 5:00. Everything was neat and they cleaned up. We used a dust rag to just pick up the little bit of dust there, but I did not have to use a sweeper. The workmanship was excellent. I was totally amazed. The product seems to be of good quality. We've had it since April. No water escapes at all when we're showering. The safety bars are in a good place. Everything's good.

Independent Home response

Thank you, Gloria! We are so pleased to hear that you are enjoying your shower and had a great installation experience. We do have a $500 referral program if you have other friends interested that end up purchasing with us.

- Independent Home

Original review: June 3, 2022

I liked what Independent Home presented. I was gonna get a walk-in bathtub earlier, but it’s too much money. I couldn't get one and I struck a good deal up with them, and I took it. I called them and they came out and we talked face to face. Their installers were very courteous and we talked quite a bit. That was a good conversation.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Our walk-in tub from Independent Home is working out well. I researched walk-ins for over a year and the price was outrageous. The companies ought to come in and give you a basic price for the top of the line and then start working it down with these promotions. Most of them do that except Independent Home. They didn’t because I told them that I had researched and I knew what I was getting.

Independent Home Company Information