2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Bathtubs
Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.81/5

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)

BOTTOM LINE

Independent Home offers several walk-in bathtubs, including wheelchair-accessible tubs. The company offers more size options than any other walk-in tub brand. Accurate pricing is determined through a free in-home consultation.

PROS

• Wheelchair accessible
  • Bariatric models available
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Various customizable models

CONS

• Tub capacity may affect water heater
  • No online pricing

Top Independent Home Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

The installation guy was...very good at what he did, and he's done it several times. And he was like clockwork. He did it in one day. Installation was great, and I especially liked the attachments, the faucets, and everything else. They're top-notch. They have a very good quality tub.

I got an Independent Home tub with a wheelchair access. Everything worked fine. The installation team was excellent. They were in and out, and had it done in eight hours. I can now get in, take a bath without worrying about falling.

Independent Home Get Started

Independent Home models

Independent Home makes eight different walk-in tub models. Each model comes equipped with many standard features, including fast-fill faucets and speed drains. Higher-end models include luxury features such as air or whirlpool hydrotherapy, dual massage jets and color-soothing chromotherapy. The company also makes a walk-in shower for situations where an Independent Home tub may not be the right fit because of customer preference or bathroom size limitation.

Independent Home walk-in tub models include an affordable deep soak walk-in tub with optional massage jets, a structurally upgraded acrylic model and a wheelchair-accessible tub. All Independent Home products are ADA compliant.

The company’s walk-in tubs vary by features such as the number of jets, the size of the tub and hydrotherapy options. Several models are designed for specific needs.

• The Access is a wheelchair-accessible model that helps those in wheelchairs safely get in and out of the bathtub.
  • The Royal is designed for larger individuals and has a power-controlled seat for lifting and lower people into the bath.
  • The Cube is a compact walk-in bathtub designed to fit into an existing shower stall space.

Standard features of Independent Home walk-in tubs

All Independent Home walk-in tubs and showers come with multiple standard features. In addition to industry-wide features, such as a low step-in threshold and a wide door, Independent Home walk-in tubs offer an extendable showerhead, user-friendly locking handles and one-touch controls.

Independent Home walk-in tub installation

Your Independent Home walk-in tub installation is performed by certified installers skilled in multiple trades, including plumbing, electrical, demolition and finish work. New team members are trained by current installation professionals and must complete at least 200 walk-in tub installations as part of someone else’s team before running their own.

Independent Home holds its technicians to strict standards. Each employee explains how to use the tub to the customer after installing it, and each customer signs a completion certificate stating they are satisfied with the work.

Every walk-in tub is tested during construction with checkpoints that guarantee the quality of the electrical components and integrity of the watertight seal. As a factory-direct company, Independent Home adheres to a standard of single-source accountability for sales, installation and service.

It usually takes one day to complete the installation. All Independent Home walk-in tubs are turnkey solutions designed to replace existing bathtubs.

Independent Home walk-in tub cost and financing

The cost of an Independent Home walk-in tub ranges from about $8,000 to $12,000, installation included, but varies by the model you choose and any add-ons or upgrades added to the tub. Adding options such as hydrotherapy to a tub increases its price.

The company suggests having a specialist perform a free in-home estimate before purchasing a tub. The specialist measures your current bathroom and explains what is required to install an Independent Home walk-in tub. Having a technician inspect your bathroom lets the company give you the most accurate quote possible.

The company provides a $1,500-off installation certificate on its website, and financing is available to qualified buyers. If you’re a veteran with a disability, you may be able to subsidize a bathroom remodeling project with a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant.

Independent Home FAQs

What type of warranty does Independent Home offer?
Independent Home backs its tubs with a full lifetime warranty. You’re fully covered on all components of your tub and every aspect of installation.
What are the Independent Home walk-in tubs dimensions?
Independent Home walk-in tub sizes vary by model. They range from 35 to 60 inches in length, 36 to 47 inches in height and 26 to 33 inches in width. The company’s most compact model is the Cube, and its largest model is the Access. All of the company’s walk-in tubs are designed to fit inside an existing space for a standard tub.
Where can I buy an Independent Home walk-in tub?
There are Independent Home walk-in tub locations in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. You can connect with a local specialist via the company’s website. The tubs are made in the U.S. and manufactured at the company’s headquarters on Long Island, New York. After meeting with a specialist, it usually takes between 10 and 14 days to order, build, ship and install your new walk-in tub.

Do we recommend Independent Home walk-in tubs?

Although the final price can only be determined after an in-home estimate, Independent Home guarantees quotes for a year and includes installation in the tub price. The company’s ADA-compliant tubs come in a variety of sizes and styles to fit different needs. According to Independent Home walk-in tub reviews, customers enjoy their tubs and are pleased with the installation process.

Independent Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

We found a few models of the walk-in shower and all kinds of prospectus on them, and decided that Independent Home would fit our needs the best, realizing that it is not that much different from many that we had looked at. However, its price was somewhat more reasonable than others had been, even though we felt it was expensive, but it was something that our time and physical abilities in our lives that we needed something that was a more accessible than the step-in tub that we had.

The sales representative came out, looked over the situation and we discussed the aspects of it. We went ahead and did it, and then scheduled an installation date and time. The installation crew came and proceeded to do it. They had a problem that they couldn't solve the first day so they had to come back the second day to actually do the installation. But they did it fairly efficiently, and cleaned up very well and left everything in a nice workable and livable condition without too much disturbance. It was an excellent experience.

The showerhead comes up on its rod just fine for pipes and so forth, but it would be nice if its handle was a little longer so that it came further out from the wall over the tub. When you use the shower head, it splashes back against the wall and the controls up against the front end of the tub there. It's hard to get under the shower. It doesn't come out far enough. It's partly due to the shower configuration. But we had somewhat of a problem with the splash from the shower over the shelf. It's the back edge of the tub that had to be filled in with a shelf between there and the wall behind it simply because of the configuration of the bathroom.

We get water over on the back side of the tub fixture and the tub installation. And then you have to sop up quite a bit of water back there. We've tried to rig some kind of a shower curtain on the backside as well. I realized that in some installations there's not a problem there, but in ours there is about a foot wide shelf across between or the side of the tub and the back wall of the bathroom. I'm trying to rig up an additional shower curtain to go on that side of it, so it has a shower curtain on both sides of the tub.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: March 8, 2020

I called for estimates on it and Safe Step at the same time, and they came within a day of each other. But we went with Independent Home because they were kind and courteous and willing to answer our questions. Safe Step didn’t wanna answer any questions or give us any prices unless we said, “Yes, we’ll let you put it in. We’ll sign for it today.” We were very upset by that. The Safe Step guy said, “Well, if you’ve called us, you must know that you’re ready for one.” We wanted to get prices. We didn’t even know if we could afford it or not. They had advertised on TV all the special things that they give you. What they told me was, “You have to sign up to have it put in, and then we’ll figure out a price for you.” And I said, “I don’t think so.”

Independent Home came in. I showed them the bathroom, they did their measuring, and they told me that they also had people licensed for electricians and plumbers, and they would put in a new big hot water tank, and added that in the price. Also, any question we had, they answered it as thoroughly as we hoped they would.

They didn’t finish that first day because of putting in the hot water tank. They had to come back and finish wiring in the hot water tank because it was a bit longer than just their day, but we were fine with them coming back again the next day and it went well. They were very thoughtful. They put down mats and didn’t wanna track stuff in and out. Other than being able to get in it good, the jets are lovely. I feel so safe. They put up enough handholds that I feel so safe, like I’m not gonna slip and fall. A couple of our friends that have been in and seen it said, “Oh, my mom needs to get one of those,” and I’ve highly recommended Independent Home to anybody that was interested.

Independent Home response

Hi Paula,

Thanks for sharing your story and for choosing our company over others. Being kind and courteous goes a long way and this review is a great example of that. Have a super day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

We love our Independent Home tub. My husband and I both have issues because we're 85 and 86, and he has a terrible back. And so, we've been talking about getting more of these tubs. This young man called and said he was in our area making calls, and that they were putting a special out. He said, "I'm from the Dallas area, but I'm in Amarillo, and I would love to come and present this to you." I asked if he could be here at 10 o'clock in the morning which was a Saturday morning in December. He was here at 10 o'clock that Saturday morning. It was very unusual for anybody to make that kind of a prompt call by phone especially in person.

He came in and we met with him, but we had to go to MD Anderson. My husband has cancer, and we were going down for a check-up. And so, we told him, "Nate, we cannot sign now because we don't know what we're gonna find out when we get to MD Anderson, and we must wait and see what we have going on." He said he was gonna be working the Amarillo area and that he would call us. We had to go down on Wednesday, see the doctor, had test run, do the doctor's thing on Thursday, and we started home Friday. I asked Nate what was the plan, and he said he'd call us at 4 o'clock Friday. We were driving through Fort Worth, Texas at 4 o'clock Friday, and I got a phone call from him. He stayed over to meet with us Saturday morning. He was here at 10 o'clock. He called at 4 o'clock. You don't find that in this world today from young people. And so, that made a great impression on us.

We went through it all. And we had looked at some others and we had tried to get local plumbers even from as far as Lubbock and Amarillo to come and give a look at where it had to go and look and see what could be done about it. We talked to the guy in New York. We talked to one in Des Moines that was head of the contractors. Then Christmas came and went. And so, we decided that we would do it after Christmas. They've contacted us, gave us a time that the contractors would be here, and they came a day and a half early. They called, and this is Shonda and Shasta.

Shasta's the head of contractors. She called and said, "Could we come and look? We know this is gonna be an unusual job for us." They came out Sunday evening, and they were here when they told us they'd be here. They told us that they would be here at 9 o'clock Monday morning to start the work, and they had a plan. They were here at 9 o'clock every day that they worked for us because that's the time they chose to come. These two women did an awesome job.

We are in love with the whole thing so far. We enjoy the air bubbles and the water jets. We like the low shower. When we went back to the doctor for the first time after my husband had used it just a couple of times, his back was so much better that the doctor told us that it had probably moved some muscles off of the nerves that were giving him a lot of his problems. We're very satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I've got a pocket door that slides in the wall in my Independent Home walk-in tub and about two days after the installers left, I went to open it and it wouldn’t open. Apparently, the installer took all the molding for two doors and one of them was that pocket door. So, I called the company and they said they would get in touch with me about it. The man I contacted was from Morrisville, North Carolina and he was a very nice guy. Then, a couple of weeks went by and I got a call from another guy out in Arizona. He wanted to know if somebody had taken care of my problem and when I asked him what was that problem, he said that he got the wrong customer. Apparently, another person with my last name also bought a walk-in tub. The guy who called me said that he knew who installed mine and that he'd pass my concern along to him. He said he’d be in touch with me and it was no big deal. But I never have heard from the guy again.

In the meantime, my son asked me what was wrong with the door and I showed it to him. It turned out that when the installer put that door back in into the pocket there, he nailed a teeny nail but didn't nail it all the way in. So when you pull the door open, it wouldn’t open. My son went and got a pair of snips, then he snipped that nail up at the top and cut it. That took care of that nail. The other problem was on the nail over the top of the door which goes into a slide. The installer nailed that in, but he hadn’t nailed it in all the way, so it was scraping the outside of the door and keeping the paint off. I didn’t wanna do any harm to the door, so I just left it alone. My son snipped that nail, too and the door seems to work pretty good now.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I had been thinking about having a walk-in tub put in. I had one contractor come in six months ago, and he was gonna charge so much. Nate from Independent Home called me, and we set up a time for the salesman to come and talk to me. He showed me his brochures, what they had to offer and the price. So we went from there and I've been well satisfied with it.

The installation team was supposed to get here on Friday morning, but the guy called me and he asked if Monday would be okay. I told him it would be fine and he said he would be here between 9:30 or 10:00. He also said he would call me before he got here. At 11 he hadn't come, so I called him. He said he was on his way, and that he told me between 10:30 and 11:30. I told him he didn't tell me that. But that was okay. When he came to the door, he said he was real sorry.

His son was with him, and they tore out some walls that day so it took them a while to get that out. But they got that out the first day then they left. They came back the next morning sort of early. He told me he'd call before he got here. They worked that day, and he had to go to Lowe's and get some stuff because by that time, they had poured the bath tub out. They had to tear it up so they could get it out. Then they got the walls fixed. He told me everything looked good, but he reinforced everything back there. He did a good job. They were both nice as they could be, and we just got off on the wrong foot at first. But after that, we were joking and talking and we got along fine.

Nate had all of the papers that I had to sign, and he stayed here all afternoon, which was fine. Everybody was real nice. I've enjoyed the tub. The only thing was that I wanted a bar. I only have one hand bar up at the front where the shower heads are, and I wanted one at the other end because that's where the seat is. So when the man that makes this product called me and asked me if I was satisfied with everything that they did, I told him I was and everything went along okay. I said that it is real pretty and I'm sure I'm gonna enjoy it. I then told him that they need a bar at the other end where the seat is. He said he hasn't thought about that. I told him that I was gonna call Nate because he told me to call him if there was anything that I needed that I didn't get. So I called him, and last Friday, they came and put the other bar in. I'm well pleased with my walk-in tub. Everybody has really taken care of me and the tub looks nice.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

The sales rep did good. He came, measured, and told me what I was gonna get. They also did a good job during the installation. It's been good with Independent Home. I like to get in the tub and get the jets going. It makes me feel good.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I had to get a walk-in tub because I couldn’t get in and out a regular tub. My husband purchased one from Independent Home and I really enjoy it. The installers took their time and did the installation. It’s a really great tub. I like the water spray. It makes me feel good. I also like the way it’s turned on but there are some things I don’t know about that I got to learn.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

Shasta and her crew arrived on time and worked non-stop until completion, solving some difficult problems along the way. Courteous and personable, I cannot imagine a better or more caring contractor. With personnel such as her, it's no wonder that Independent Home has such a fine reputation.

Independent Home response

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your kind compliments and for your praise of Shasta! We will be sure to pass this on to her. Have a wonderful day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

The guy took the information and he told me I'd qualify for the tub, but I didn't know they were gonna put it on a credit card. A few days later, I got a credit card in the mail and it already had the bathtub on it so, that was how I found out I'm supposed to pay for that bathtub is through that credit card. I just thought I was gonna make a payment and then I would get a bill. But the installation of our Independent Home tub was very good. The two boys that came out here were great. I like being able to sit down and knowing I'm surrounded by everything and I'm not gonna fall. I'm paralyzed on one side and I'm in a wheelchair. A lady was having to come here twice a week to give me showers. I wanted to feel safer that I could do my showers for myself. My mom is 86 years old and she was coming home from a nursing home. Having a tub also felt like a safe way for her to take a shower and not have to worry about her falling.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

It's difficult for me to take showers by myself. Everything was fine when I purchased the Independent Home tub and everything worked out fine. The tub and the shower work. It's just that my house is torn up, the floor is up and I can't get in it. But I like the ease that I can just go in and sit down and turn on the shower, or I can sit in water and bring it up. It's just handier. I was gonna get something that would be out on the porch. But I said I can't use it then in the wintertime. So this is gonna be an all year round thing.

Independent Home Company Information