Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hi Xavier,

We're delighted to read your feedback and that we could help your mother-in-law.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I ordered in November and it was install January 3, 2017. I had problems with the delivery day but they managed to have it delivered in time. Great customer service and a great job done by the Orlando office. This was installed for my mother-in-law who happens to be 95 years old and I live on the second floor. It was a blessing for her to be able to come up and down with ease. It was the best three months she had living in Florida for the winter season. I'm hoping she makes it again next year and next year and next year. If not then it was worth every penny to see the joy in her face. Again Handicare great job on your services and your effort in coming through to get this installed in a timely manner.

I just had gone through two back surgeries so I was struggling to get up the steps but thanks to Handicare, I'm getting up and down the stairs now. I found the company through the ConsumerAffairs' site and their free-form stairlift conformed to our stairwell much better. During purchase, a young man designed a program which was very good. They have a computer-aided design system that let us put down little markers and they can calculate the chair lift/chair slope for the rail all the way up. I could see a computer-generated illustration of what it looks like in our stairwell or how much of the stairwell it takes up. Also, the product's made separately in Holland, assembled and tested, before it comes here to be put in.

One guy started installation then another joined him later on. I let them have their space because they had a lot of parts to put together and they did it well within the time that they said they would when it got here. And it works. The chair is self-centering even if we have vicious slope changes. We have a two-run staircase with a one-step well halfway up. So, the chair has to go up, level out, change, and then guide itself into a climb to get up. It pulls down around the bottom of the stairwell all the way into a parking place. It’s perfect and our landing is big enough that it’s far enough away from the stairwell that I don’t lose any traffic to it. And it folds out of the way, too. So far, I would recommend Handicare. Their system, though a bit more expensive than the others, fits our needs better.

I like the price of Handicare compared to another provider so I purchased from them. Their sales rep was very nice, informative, and helpful. He took his time to explain and went all out his way, so we really appreciated that and he was more impressive than the rep from another provider. That same guy took care of the installation. He showed us how to use the stairlift, made sure that we use a safety belt. He also showed us the paperwork in case we wanted a tax return. We felt like he had our best interest in mind and we were grateful for his service. If ever we wanted to take the stairlift out or move it or give it back, they can help us do all of them. I love it. I could just sit in the chair and press the button to go up, and I don’t have to worry about taking up the flight. Overall, they were very good. When we asked for assistance, they came and did the job right away.

The Handicare Stairlift won't turn towards the top stairs and it’s wobbly. That’s dangerous especially for people that can hardly even move. It’s also expensive. Medicare and Medicaid used to pay for those chairs but some people were using them as decorations on their house, which is stupid. Because if I had a choice I wouldn't want one of those in my house. But they have good lawyers working for them to make excuses to get the prices high. And when you get older and you end up getting in this kind of condition that I'm in, you can't afford to be spending money. Plus, I'm retired and I'm trying to raise my grandchildren at the same time. Insurance should pay for it because you would not like to be crippled. You want to stay healthy and good.

I didn't like the Handicare salesman who came here. He was talking one thing and then the day he came to measure he's like, "Oh no, you need a hinge at the bottom of the stairs." But it's $200 more, so I felt a little taken aback. That should have been talked about and mentioned. As it was when we worked it out where I didn't need one. But I like the installation guys. They were really good. And the stairlift is serving its purpose so we're very happy with it.

Handicare was recommended to us by people who had done it. The representative who helped with our purchase was very informative and covered all of the questions that we had about it. He also did the installation and he did fine, only took about two hours. Overall, Handicare has good people, good price, and it's a good equipment.

Handicare

We appreciate your feedback, Sheldon!

Original review: April 27, 2017

I was researching stairlifts for my wife and when I was reading the history of Handicare, they seemed to be a company with a good background and it gave me the trust in calling them up. There were two people I dealt with. Edward was the person who installed the stairlift. A second person came towards the end to give him a final assist. Both were very knowledgeable and helpful. It was a positive experience. My wife goes well with the stairlift and I’m amazed that I can get up and down the stairs without any trouble. The results that were achieved were beyond our expectations.

Handicare was willing to come out to the house right away and give an estimate. Interactions with their sales reps were good, as well. They were fast and knew everything about their product. The installer was also great and knowledgeable. I really like the stairlift. It’s like having an elevator to get to the second floor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handicare Stairlifts US?

I did a lot of research after I had already committed to another company. I’ve read some of the comments about their chairlift and they were negative. So I looked up the number one stairlift in Florida and the one for Handicare came up. It was good that I did that because I know I’m happier with the stairlift that I bought from Handicare than I would have been with the other one. Handicare has a lifetime motor guarantee and their extended warranty also was beneficial.

The representative was great, courteous, professional and knowledgeable about the product. The explanation of the product and the warranties and the features sold me. The installation of the product was really quick and the installer did a very professional job too. He had given me a step-by-step on how they did it because my husband was very concerned. We just put new carpet in, and the installer was explaining exactly where he would put it and how it’d look against the wall and some extra safety tips.

I feel very secure on the stairlift and it’s comfortable. I can now get upstairs and be with my family. I’m very satisfied with Handicare. I would definitely recommend it to anybody who had any stairs. As a matter of fact, my husband is thinking of putting one outside for me ‘cause I haven’t been able to go back down off our deck for the last four years.

Our experience with Handicare Stairlifts has been very good and very efficient. It was the most accessible from where we live at the time that we got it and the rep who assisted us with our purchase was fabulous. He was very personable and very knowledgeable, and answered all our questions. He did not try to push for us to get it. He just explained the different options and was very helpful. He was very clear about the warranties as well. He also told us that we can remove it if we ever sell the house and take it with us which was a revelation that I hadn't even thought about.

When the chair tilted when my husband tried to get out of it a couple of days ago, Handicare sent someone out this morning and he knew exactly what the problem was. It had something to do with a bolt and he fixed it immediately. He came early and was efficient. Handicare has made my husband's life a lot more enjoyable. The stairlift is convenient for him. It gets him up to our second floor without him struggling up the stairs, which was becoming harder and harder for him.

I had a broken ankle and needed a stairlift to get up my stairs. My sister and I looked online and Handicare had the best rating. It was all right with them. However, I had a little problem in the beginning because they lost my check. I had to put a stop on it and get another check. I had to wait for them to pay me for the stopped check, which they said they would, but it took quite a while that I didn't get it and I had to keep calling them. But other than that, the salesman was great and the chair's working good thus far.

I did a search for stair lifts and I like Handicare Stairlifts' price and the lack of negative comments and rip-off so we went with them. We had several companies who gave us a call and tried the hard sell on us even though we told them we weren't interested. We compared what was offered by different companies and Handicare was by far, the most reasonable, not only on price but also in their presentation of the material. Also, our interaction with their reps has been a very good experience.

Their installation team was fine. However, there’s a two or three inch gap between the lift installed and the wall going up the stairs. My wife thought that it should have been a bit closer but I don't blame them because they asked me whether that was okay for me when putting it in and I said it's okay. But she would have liked it to have been a few inches closer to give us more room on the stairs. Nevertheless, it looks good and it operates very well. I've used it quite often since it was installed and it's a good system. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and I appreciated their professionalism.

When we called Handicare, their people came the next day to talk and it didn’t take long at all. Their installers were very quick and they cleaned up after themselves. They talked to my son about how to operate it. The sales rep also came back and worked with me afterwards because I felt panicky when I was on the stairlift. He was a great help to me. I feel much safer and I’m no longer panicky on it. I was having difficulty on the steps, but now the stairlift helps me stay in my own home.

I liked the people that I was dealing with at Handicare. Everybody was so helpful. The men that put the stairlift in were nice and there wasn’t a thing laying around anywhere. The stairlift ride is very smooth and my husband loves it. We’re very pleased with it and would recommend it to any of my friends.

Handicare's product and service were great. The only negative thing is that they try and sell you on service for the chair as soon as you get it. If it costs $3,000, I sure as hell don't think I should be having service for my chair for a year. But in the line of chairs, it was a reasonable price comparatively. The people were also very nice and came quickly. Same person that I talked to was the same person that put it in and there's not a lot of mess to make.

It has also helped us quite a bit and we love it. It's worth every penny and I'm surprised at how safe it is for an older person. However, the seat belt is small and not easy to use for older people that don't have good dexterity in their fingers. There should be some kind of latch for people with arthritis because my mother cannot do it and I don't let her use it without me there. We practiced and we tried but we could not get it to go. So it's nice looking and it works if you have the dexterity to push the button but maybe they could tweak that.

Handicare Stairlifts offers my wife the assistance that she needs to go up and down the stairs so it's a big help. It took about four weeks before it was delivered. We had to call and ask Handicare about the delivery but they didn't have an answer from the factory as to when it will be shipped. Then when they got it, they had to fix it because it was making noise. Aside from that, there's a couple of things with it that we're not satisfied with. It takes 30 seconds for it to start before it engages which gets my wife confused. Then when she gets up on the top of the stairs, she has to turn the machine to get off which gives her a big problem to get on with her feet. It's something simple to operate and it goes up and down but it could have more conveniences that could make using it easier.

I was sold on the idea that it’s better to work with someone that works directly with the company, like a manufacturing rep, as opposed to a third-party like a medical distributor. It made a lot of sense to deal with someone like that. I found out that Handicare does that kind of selling so I called their people out, and I found the person that I talked to to be knowledgeable of the product and the competitor’s products. And their installation guy was very sharp technically, quite knowledgeable and a good guy even though it was the first time he’s done an installation on this particular product with this technology. He had a headphone and a microphone and he was on the line with the headquarters or the central people in installation. He took his time, made sure everything was right, double tested everything, and did an excellent job.

After that, the follow up has been very good. One of the things I like with this stairlift is that I can stop at any place and it’ll charge no matter where I stop. That way, I don’t have to keep it necessarily at the bottom where it may get in somebody’s way or at the top. I can do it at the right spot in the stairwell where people won’t work around it. I only had one small problem: the seat had a very fine cut in it. I just wanted to let somebody know about that and they were very responsive and I think they’ll continue to be responsive. If they give that kind of attention to a minor problem then with the major stuff, it’ll be better.

So it was a very intellectual experience dealing with everybody. They seemed to know what they were doing. I felt they knew what features I should have and which ones I shouldn’t have and didn’t try to sell everything. And as it turned out, I injured my leg (separate from my Parkinson’s) and I needed the chair much earlier, and it was a good thing it was in and a good thing it operated reliably.

A doctor brought up Handicare Stairlifts and we got interested. We installed it but my wife can't use it. She's only got about 3 months to live, she can’t walk and in bed now. So we're gonna have the stairlift removed. At first, we had problems installing it because all the parts weren't there. It wasn't the right part so they had to put a delay on that and order another part. It took about a week before they could get back out. Then after the guy got the part and was setting it up, he broke something which caused delay again to get another part. We're disappointed and not too happy. But, the installation team was very good except for new guy who broke a part. The foreman apologized up and down for the it and said he'd give us a discount on the purchase price because of all the wait.

I went to Walnut Medical and heard about Handicare. I purchased one and the reps who assisted me were marvelous. Their installers were also very well organized. They brought all their supplies in boxes and they asked me if they were in the way. I had no complaints whatsoever. They were fantastic and Handicare is really a big help. Everything, so far, is working fine.

It was a nice experience with Handicare. I like the ride up and down with the chairlift. The salesman was very friendly. He explained everything and how they worked. Then the gentleman that put it in was very cooperative. He did a nice job and left everything very clean and neat. Too bad that he had to work all day, but I suppose planning is their office. The only thing was that the salesman promised me a safety belt that was included but wasn’t in the package. I called him once and reminded him that I might need that safety belt, but I haven’t heard anything else. I’m still waiting and I don’t know whether I’ll get them or not.

My son installed the stairlift and it came missing a part, so he couldn’t put it in the day that he started to put it in. Then a manager came to install because all of his team was in a meeting in Pennsylvania. He was very clean and nice. I only have a stairlift because my children didn’t want me to climb stairs since I have a broken hip. I also have had a stroke and when I get to the top and I have to turn the chair, it's very hard to do.

The stairlift is fine except that they have to get me out of the bedroom. If I have to call an emergency vehicle, they couldn’t get up the stairs. The stairlift gets me up the stairs but it does not leave enough room for my aide to walk up. I have to send them up ahead of me because the chair takes up most of the stairwell -- which I didn’t know when they started to put it in. And if we’re putting it in an average stairwell, then we have to know that if somebody has to be taken out of their room, the firemen will have to carry them down.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went and inquired about Handicare Stairlift and had a great experience with the rep who assisted me with my purchase. The installation team came and installed the system and it was wonderful. They cleaned up after themselves and explained everything. I got the stairlift for my mom so she'd be able to go up or down the stairs without a worry and she has been enjoying it and there haven't been any problems.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I like that with Handicare I don’t have to walk up the stairs. The rep who assisted me seemed professional and very punctual. Their installers were pleasant and were only here a couple of hours. It was a simple and very effective installation which met my needs in a timely fashion. With some of the things that I've done, I contact the contractor and that’s two or three months before they can come give me an estimate. But with Handicare, I called them on a Thursday, we had an appointment on Monday, and then it was installed the following Thursday.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Not impressed so far with the Handicare stairlift. I’m very close to calling them and ask them to come out and look at it again. First of all, when they installed it, for whatever reason, the screw plate at the center position about halfway up the stairs sheared off the head of one of the bolts. It just broke off. There might have been some kind of strain. They came out and put another screw in, but the device creaks and rattles and it sounds like there's stuff rolling around inside the device as I use it. It's very noisy. So I'm gonna call them again to tell them to come back out and find out what's wrong with it because it's making way too much noise and it shouldn't. It sounds like an old car.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Handicare Stairlifts sounded like a good outfit and the installer was a local person. They gave a good service and I could get anything I needed from him. Their rep and installers were great. I like the stairlift because my wife uses it. She’s the one that has the problem. She gets on it to get her down the stairs and we put her in the car. When we get back, she gets right back on it and rides back upstairs. It’s a good product.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went to a Medicare or Medicaid shop for my oxygen and happened to see a Handicare Stairlift there. My husband purchased it. During the installation, their team was very good. I use it and it works fine.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My knees were hurting every step going down my stairs and back up, so I really needed a stairlift. When the gentleman from Handicare came, he was very thorough in the measurements and really seemed to care. Everything went well during the installation. I really enjoy the stairlift. Just like today, I came home from shopping and I could get on my stairlift and pack my packages around me and bring them upstairs. Before, it was really hard (the more weight you put on your knees, the more it hurts). I'm thoroughly pleased with Handicare.

I needed a stairlift and found Handicare online. I visited them, and the owner was really nice and answered all my questions. The purchase was a pretty quick transaction. The Handicare stairlift works great, no problems with it. I feel confident that Handicare would be there if anything goes wrong. Also, I like that it's a local company. Overall, Handicare Stairlifts met my needs very well.

My previous stairlift died so I replaced it with a Handicare Stairlift. This new one is working beautifully and its installation was pretty simple. The team that did it was courteous and cleaned after themselves. A guy from Handicare has repaired stairlifts at my house as well as my mother's, and he was excellent. Actually, we're in line to get one exactly like my mother's and overall, our experience with Handicare Stairlifts has been very satisfying.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had nothing but good experience with Handicare's reps and installers. And we're very pleased with everything associated with the stair lift. The up and down feature worked well for my husband.

I purchased a Handicare stairlift about 18 years ago for my mother. I have one now and I’m enjoying it very much. It’s a wonderful thing because it makes it easier for me to get from one level of my house to the next. Plus, it gets what I need like my groceries up to my second level. Not to mention, the Handicare representative was helpful. He came out because my stairlift was broken and he secured me a new one. He knew what I needed and installed it in a timely manner.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend gave us a flier for Handicare Stairlifts. When we made our purchase from them, we had an excellent interaction with their rep who assisted us - very kind and easy to deal with. Also, their installers did a very good job. Our favorite part about our purchase is that the chairs turn so they can be safe on the landing and the chair can be changed in height so that my mother-in-law can slide right off easily. However, there is a negative feature that I don't like about it. The low-chain that the chair climbs on is open and it gets greasy. My mother-in-law got grease on her clothes and on the carpet. The stairlift has to be greased every so often too so that will never be gone. If Handicare had a casing, she wouldn't catch grease. But that aside, everything else has been fine.

I went to HomeAdvisor and picked three stairlift companies. They all came out and Handicare was the one with the best price and best guarantee. The man also said he would back me up with service, which he did. I had a problem with the stairlift hitting the top crown of the stair. The rug was causing it to stop and it wasn’t going all the way up. The man came out and put washers under it. He said he doesn't know why Handicare doesn’t make a blueprint of the foot and make a flat plate to go underneath the foot to raise it up instead of putting little round washers. Also, the remote control buttons for going up and down the stairs are four inches large. It could be upgraded to make them smaller. Nevertheless, the stairlift is wonderful.

Handicare Company Profile