Handicare

Handicare

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

When we called Handicare, their people came the next day to talk and it didn’t take long at all. Their installers were very quick and they cleaned up after themselves. They talked to my son about how to operate it. The sales rep also came back and worked with me afterwards because I felt panicky when I was on the stairlift. He was a great help to me. I feel much safer and I’m no longer panicky on it. I was having difficulty on the steps, but now the stairlift helps me stay in my own home.

I liked the people that I was dealing with at Handicare. Everybody was so helpful. The men that put the stairlift in were nice and there wasn’t a thing laying around anywhere. The stairlift ride is very smooth and my husband loves it. We’re very pleased with it and would recommend it to any of my friends.

It has been a great experience with Handicare Stairlifts, I had no problems. I've had a positive interaction with the rep who assisted me with purchase and with the installation team.

We had a good interactions with the representative who helped us with our purchase of the Handicare Stairlift. The installation team were also courteous. The Handicare Stairlift is very necessary and it works.

Handicare's product and service were great. The only negative thing is that they try and sell you on service for the chair as soon as you get it. If it costs $3,000, I sure as hell don't think I should be having service for my chair for a year. But in the line of chairs, it was a reasonable price comparatively. The people were also very nice and came quickly. Same person that I talked to was the same person that put it in and there's not a lot of mess to make.

It has also helped us quite a bit and we love it. It's worth every penny and I'm surprised at how safe it is for an older person. However, the seat belt is small and not easy to use for older people that don't have good dexterity in their fingers. There should be some kind of latch for people with arthritis because my mother cannot do it and I don't let her use it without me there. We practiced and we tried but we could not get it to go. So it's nice looking and it works if you have the dexterity to push the button but maybe they could tweak that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handicare Stairlifts?

Handicare Stairlifts offers my wife the assistance that she needs to go up and down the stairs so it's a big help. It took about four weeks before it was delivered. We had to call and ask Handicare about the delivery but they didn't have an answer from the factory as to when it will be shipped. Then when they got it, they had to fix it because it was making noise. Aside from that, there's a couple of things with it that we're not satisfied with. It takes 30 seconds for it to start before it engages which gets my wife confused. Then when she gets up on the top of the stairs, she has to turn the machine to get off which gives her a big problem to get on with her feet. It's something simple to operate and it goes up and down but it could have more conveniences that could make using it easier.

I was sold on the idea that it’s better to work with someone that works directly with the company, like a manufacturing rep, as opposed to a third-party like a medical distributor. It made a lot of sense to deal with someone like that. I found out that Handicare does that kind of selling so I called their people out, and I found the person that I talked to to be knowledgeable of the product and the competitor’s products. And their installation guy was very sharp technically, quite knowledgeable and a good guy even though it was the first time he’s done an installation on this particular product with this technology. He had a headphone and a microphone and he was on the line with the headquarters or the central people in installation. He took his time, made sure everything was right, double tested everything, and did an excellent job.

After that, the follow up has been very good. One of the things I like with this stairlift is that I can stop at any place and it’ll charge no matter where I stop. That way, I don’t have to keep it necessarily at the bottom where it may get in somebody’s way or at the top. I can do it at the right spot in the stairwell where people won’t work around it. I only had one small problem: the seat had a very fine cut in it. I just wanted to let somebody know about that and they were very responsive and I think they’ll continue to be responsive. If they give that kind of attention to a minor problem then with the major stuff, it’ll be better.

So it was a very intellectual experience dealing with everybody. They seemed to know what they were doing. I felt they knew what features I should have and which ones I shouldn’t have and didn’t try to sell everything. And as it turned out, I injured my leg (separate from my Parkinson’s) and I needed the chair much earlier, and it was a good thing it was in and a good thing it operated reliably.

A doctor brought up Handicare Stairlifts and we got interested. We installed it but my wife can't use it. She's only got about 3 months to live, she can’t walk and in bed now. So we're gonna have the stairlift removed. At first, we had problems installing it because all the parts weren't there. It wasn't the right part so they had to put a delay on that and order another part. It took about a week before they could get back out. Then after the guy got the part and was setting it up, he broke something which caused delay again to get another part. We're disappointed and not too happy. But, the installation team was very good except for new guy who broke a part. The foreman apologized up and down for the it and said he'd give us a discount on the purchase price because of all the wait.

I went to Walnut Medical and heard about Handicare. I purchased one and the reps who assisted me were marvelous. Their installers were also very well organized. They brought all their supplies in boxes and they asked me if they were in the way. I had no complaints whatsoever. They were fantastic and Handicare is really a big help. Everything, so far, is working fine.

It was a nice experience with Handicare. I like the ride up and down with the chairlift. The salesman was very friendly. He explained everything and how they worked. Then the gentleman that put it in was very cooperative. He did a nice job and left everything very clean and neat. Too bad that he had to work all day, but I suppose planning is their office. The only thing was that the salesman promised me a safety belt that was included but wasn’t in the package. I called him once and reminded him that I might need that safety belt, but I haven’t heard anything else. I’m still waiting and I don’t know whether I’ll get them or not.

My son installed the stairlift and it came missing a part, so he couldn’t put it in the day that he started to put it in. Then a manager came to install because all of his team was in a meeting in Pennsylvania. He was very clean and nice. I only have a stairlift because my children didn’t want me to climb stairs since I have a broken hip. I also have had a stroke and when I get to the top and I have to turn the chair, it's very hard to do.

The stairlift is fine except that they have to get me out of the bedroom. If I have to call an emergency vehicle, they couldn’t get up the stairs. The stairlift gets me up the stairs but it does not leave enough room for my aide to walk up. I have to send them up ahead of me because the chair takes up most of the stairwell -- which I didn’t know when they started to put it in. And if we’re putting it in an average stairwell, then we have to know that if somebody has to be taken out of their room, the firemen will have to carry them down.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went and inquired about Handicare Stairlift and had a great experience with the rep who assisted me with my purchase. The installation team came and installed the system and it was wonderful. They cleaned up after themselves and explained everything. I got the stairlift for my mom so she'd be able to go up or down the stairs without a worry and she has been enjoying it and there haven't been any problems.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I like that with Handicare I don’t have to walk up the stairs. The rep who assisted me seemed professional and very punctual. Their installers were pleasant and were only here a couple of hours. It was a simple and very effective installation which met my needs in a timely fashion. With some of the things that I've done, I contact the contractor and that’s two or three months before they can come give me an estimate. But with Handicare, I called them on a Thursday, we had an appointment on Monday, and then it was installed the following Thursday.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Not impressed so far with the Handicare stairlift. I’m very close to calling them and ask them to come out and look at it again. First of all, when they installed it, for whatever reason, the screw plate at the center position about halfway up the stairs sheared off the head of one of the bolts. It just broke off. There might have been some kind of strain. They came out and put another screw in, but the device creaks and rattles and it sounds like there's stuff rolling around inside the device as I use it. It's very noisy. So I'm gonna call them again to tell them to come back out and find out what's wrong with it because it's making way too much noise and it shouldn't. It sounds like an old car.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Handicare Stairlifts sounded like a good outfit and the installer was a local person. They gave a good service and I could get anything I needed from him. Their rep and installers were great. I like the stairlift because my wife uses it. She’s the one that has the problem. She gets on it to get her down the stairs and we put her in the car. When we get back, she gets right back on it and rides back upstairs. It’s a good product.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went to a Medicare or Medicaid shop for my oxygen and happened to see a Handicare Stairlift there. My husband purchased it. During the installation, their team was very good. I use it and it works fine.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My knees were hurting every step going down my stairs and back up, so I really needed a stairlift. When the gentleman from Handicare came, he was very thorough in the measurements and really seemed to care. Everything went well during the installation. I really enjoy the stairlift. Just like today, I came home from shopping and I could get on my stairlift and pack my packages around me and bring them upstairs. Before, it was really hard (the more weight you put on your knees, the more it hurts). I'm thoroughly pleased with Handicare.

I needed a stairlift and found Handicare online. I visited them, and the owner was really nice and answered all my questions. The purchase was a pretty quick transaction. The Handicare stairlift works great, no problems with it. I feel confident that Handicare would be there if anything goes wrong. Also, I like that it's a local company. Overall, Handicare Stairlifts met my needs very well.

My previous stairlift died so I replaced it with a Handicare Stairlift. This new one is working beautifully and its installation was pretty simple. The team that did it was courteous and cleaned after themselves. A guy from Handicare has repaired stairlifts at my house as well as my mother's, and he was excellent. Actually, we're in line to get one exactly like my mother's and overall, our experience with Handicare Stairlifts has been very satisfying.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had nothing but good experience with Handicare's reps and installers. And we're very pleased with everything associated with the stair lift. The up and down feature worked well for my husband.

I purchased a Handicare stairlift about 18 years ago for my mother. I have one now and I’m enjoying it very much. It’s a wonderful thing because it makes it easier for me to get from one level of my house to the next. Plus, it gets what I need like my groceries up to my second level. Not to mention, the Handicare representative was helpful. He came out because my stairlift was broken and he secured me a new one. He knew what I needed and installed it in a timely manner.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend gave us a flier for Handicare Stairlifts. When we made our purchase from them, we had an excellent interaction with their rep who assisted us - very kind and easy to deal with. Also, their installers did a very good job. Our favorite part about our purchase is that the chairs turn so they can be safe on the landing and the chair can be changed in height so that my mother-in-law can slide right off easily. However, there is a negative feature that I don't like about it. The low-chain that the chair climbs on is open and it gets greasy. My mother-in-law got grease on her clothes and on the carpet. The stairlift has to be greased every so often too so that will never be gone. If Handicare had a casing, she wouldn't catch grease. But that aside, everything else has been fine.

I went to HomeAdvisor and picked three stairlift companies. They all came out and Handicare was the one with the best price and best guarantee. The man also said he would back me up with service, which he did. I had a problem with the stairlift hitting the top crown of the stair. The rug was causing it to stop and it wasn’t going all the way up. The man came out and put washers under it. He said he doesn't know why Handicare doesn’t make a blueprint of the foot and make a flat plate to go underneath the foot to raise it up instead of putting little round washers. Also, the remote control buttons for going up and down the stairs are four inches large. It could be upgraded to make them smaller. Nevertheless, the stairlift is wonderful.

Handicare Stairlift helped us out with our mother in getting her up in her bedroom. She can walk but she can't go up and down the stairs. Also, their rep who assisted us with our purchase has done good as well as the installers. We just had it in three weeks till she passed away so I had called to see if they would take it back but they wouldn’t so it’s still here on the stairs.

Handicare gave me better options than the other providers and what they suggested worked out for me. However, we had problems when the stairlift went down one time and we couldn't get it to work. They had to order a part and then the people who supply it didn't want to and it was still in warranty. It went on and on for over a month. It was very stressful. Luckily I still can walk the stairs but it's very difficult for me, and that's why I got it. But other than that, everything's been fine. A guy interacted with me and eventually got it fixed.

Our experience is good and Handicare is very helpful. My husband and I sometimes get tired particularly at the end of the day and that's where the Handicare chair comes in. It helps us in going up and down the stairs. It also helps us take our laundry up. We would recommend it to any person who easily gets very tired in going up and down the steps. We highly recommend it. A friend in her 80s got hers through Medicare.

We love our Handicare. My husband was in a lot of pain and had back surgery. Our bedrooms are upstairs so he uses it everyday. I like that it is enclosed. We had one before when my mother lived with us, and it is open. The grandkids would drop things and it'd get caught up in the exposed cable down underneath the chair and create problems.

Handicare has been a lifesaver for my husband. My dentist's brother-in-law, Steve, is a Handicare rep. He told me about it and also did the installation. He was terrific and very nice. I was very impressed at how he made sure it worked good and had me test it. I like that we don't have to walk the steps. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

My Handicare stairlift gets me to where I want to go. The team at Handicare was very nice and I’d recommend them.

I love our Handicare steps. My husband tells me he can't go up and down without them. Also, their sales reps couldn't have been better and so are the installation guys. They were extremely nice. Everything worked out perfectly as I expected and more for it to be.

Handicare Company Profile