Call toll free
4.62/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Handicare is a global leader committed to providing innovative products that promote independence. We offer a wide variety of straight and curved stairlifts to fit the many needs of users looking for a safe and reliable way of overcoming the problem of getting up and down the stairs.

Handicare Video
Handicare Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

91 Handicare Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Handicare makes beautiful lifts and for the most part they are made well. If you ever have a problem with any of their products be prepared to wait for weeks to get a part and pray that they ship the right part. Their customer service is just horrible. No response and major attitude. The company culture is really bad across the board no matter who you speak with. I wish we knew this before we bought a Handicare Stairlift.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I needed a stairlift because I was having back problems and trouble getting up and down the stairs. My friend bought the Handicare stairlift for me and it was installed wonderfully. It's handy and I love it.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I had to have a stairlift because I have a business in my lower storey and I have to get up and down on steps. I chose Handicare because the hospital where I called to ask told me that that’s where they have gotten theirs. We have a 90 degree turn in our house and it was gonna cost quite a bit more to have the kind that went around the curve. So, we opted to buy two instead. Handicare was very professional but I’m disappointed with the stairlift itself. I haven’t had to use it for a while and was used very little but there is a terrible noise in it. I was afraid to use it.

I called the store where I bought it from and they were only about two and a half hours away from here. But it’s been months and they have not come. The other one doesn’t make this noise but there is something about it. The guy told me on the phone, “I’m quite sure I know what it is.” I didn’t think it was a big deal to fix it but it sounded terrible. And then, there was another time when I couldn’t use it for a week which when you couldn’t walk up and down the stairs is a long time. But due to the distance, they weren’t getting up here to fix it. And then, there was another time when I had to wait quite a while and it was winter time. So, in order to get to the upper storey, I had to go outside. They said they didn't want to make it a special trip and indicated that they didn’t handle Handicare anymore.

On the other hand, the fellow who came to fix it was very professional and really good. But I didn’t felt like the service has been what it would have been having them being closer. I like to have some other support besides just me calling them but I’m afraid I am not going to have someone to help back me up. Now that I don't need it, I wish that it's not here because it never worked out well for it to get fixed. If I had to do this over again, I would have not bought from Handicare. I would just return it and have it taken out but I’m sure they’re gonna say, “Well, you’ve had it too long for that.”

Hi Kristy,

I apologize for this frustration. We would like to resolve this for you. Could you kindly let us know which dealer you purchased this stairlift from? If you feel more comfortable, you can also email us at marketing.accessibility@handicare.com for assistance.

Look forward to speaking and providing you some assistance.

Meredith

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My son is in a wheelchair so we decided to purchase a stairlift. Handicare Stairlifts has good reviews and they were responsive when I called them. The rep came out twice for the sales visit and he told me all my different options. He was very responsive and forthright with me about what my options were and he was thorough and upfront about what would work best and what wouldn't. Then I made an appointment and went to the office, and he showed me all the different options. Overall, he did a good job. We had a straight stairlift installed and its quality is pretty good. How it fit into our stairwell was as good as it could be, given the space that we were working with. The stairlift was an expensive purchase and it was not covered by insurance, but it has been great and it has made it easier to get my son around. I was very pleased with our experience with Handicare Stairlifts.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Per my email response from Consumer Affairs on Saturday, 8/04 they were to contact me in 24 hours. Allowing for Sunday, 8/05, to date it has been three business days since then (now 8/08), with no response! Looking elsewhere. So much for their 5-star rating. Customer service: 0.0.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handicare?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought the product 1 year and 7 months ago. My original experience with the sale and the installation process was very successful and I gave them a 5 star. I bought an outdoor curved stairlift. I was going to call to get service done prior to my 2 year anniversary. We only use the lift when my mother in law is visiting from January to March. When not in use I run it at least once a month and use Vaseline per installer instruction to have the pipe lubricated.

I called 2 weeks ago to get the chair serviced since it was not working. I ran it in May and it worked. A month later in June it was not working. I waited another month hoping that it might work and it did not. I contacted them for service but we are in the 3rd week with no response from Handicare customer service in getting the lift repaired. They routed me to 4 companies that perform service for Handicare customers in Estero Fl. Two were from Tampa and Sarasota and they indicated it was too far for them to service. The other two were from Fort Myers. One would not service since they indicated they did not install it and the second one never returned my call. All calls were three way call initiated by Handicare customer service.

Once the call was connected they got off the line so they never knew what the final results where. They assumed the service was resolved. Last week I called Handicare customer service and presented my problem again and have not received a return call. It’s like no one wants to take ownership. Once the sale and the installation was completed they ignore their customers. As of now my lifts needs service and hope I can get it completed by January for my 97 year old mother in law.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My legs got worse and I couldn’t do steps. I tried going up with the kids helping me for a while, but it was too much of a struggle. So, I figured stairlifts are worthwhile. I got one from Handicare and their sales visit was all good. I got the straight one and its perfect for my stairwell. Its ride is very fluid and I’ve no trouble with it.

Handicare response

Glad you're enjoying your straight stairlift, Pauline!

Original review: July 31, 2018

Handicare stairlift was expensive, but I got it on sale at 20% off so it saved me quite a lot of money. The rep went on a sales visit and did a good job personally. They told us everything we needed to know about it. The guy who installed it was very pleasant and informative, too, and he was finished in one day. The stairlift is of good quality. We've got one of the fold-up arms that come up. It was pretty easy to fold up myself. I got problems walking up and down the stairs so I got a stairlift, but I still go up and down the stairs myself as much as I can. I use the stairlift when it is necessary.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Using the Handicare stairlift has been helping and making a big difference in the life of my elder who needed a stairlift. A rep showed up and he was very nice, and he showed me the steps in getting the stairlift. We gave him the measurements of our stairs and then he ordered the unit. We got a curved stairlift from them. Then the installers came on time and they installed it, and they did a demonstration on how to use it. We've got wide stairs upstairs and it fits okay into the stairwell. The stairlift is expensive but its quality is good.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I’m an amputee and my one leg and my arm were giving out from going up and down the stairs of the house I had before. Then when we bought a new house, everything is on one floor, but it has a garage and a bonus room, which I made into a music room. So I had two Handicare stairlifts put in to make it easy for me to use the stairs. The sales representative was a good guy. You couldn't get a better salesperson than him. He made a special appointment on a Saturday for us and he said he wouldn’t be comfortable selling me one until I tried it. So we tried a few of his different stairlifts. Then the technicians put the straight stairlifts in the next day. After it got finished, they showed us how it worked and explained what to do if the power went out.

The very next day, one of the stairlifts got a short in it and it wouldn’t stop beeping. The guy wanted to come right then, but it was late in the evening so we told him not to. But he was here at 8 o’clock the next morning to fix it. He found out that something was pinching a wire in the chair and would cut a wire the way it was made. He said he was gonna write it up that this pair of new chairs had a flaw and he even went and fixed the one that didn't need to be fixed, so it wouldn't happen to it. Other than that, it’s easy for me to get in and out of the stairlift and it’s quiet. A lot of times, I'm up during late at night and my wife doesn't even hear me when I ride that thing up the steps. I love both of my Handicare stairlifts. And I would recommend them to anybody.

Handicare response

Thank you for the feedback, Steve!

Original review: July 24, 2018

My wife has fallen down the steps and injured herself seriously. We live in a two-story house and had to have a stairlift installed. I used to work for the company, a local dealer, that sells Handicare stairlifts. It was after I was let go that I knew that there were a lot of people that serviced handicaps with their oxygen tanks. I talked to John and he mentioned a few or higher-end models, but we settled for what he suggested, which was Handicare. I trusted him and I got the stairlift.

I personally know the installation team and they were good. We have a straight stairlift installed and it's tight. The space was narrow and the steps were steep. According to them, we only had an inch or two to spare. That aside, the stairlift is great for my wife. I like the quietness of the stairlift and also that it has remote controls. It has the feature that lets it fold-up at the bottom which is nice. Also, the cost was adequate and it was right where I thought it should be. Plus, if we ever move out of here, the stairlift will be a good sales feature. Overall, I'm highly satisfied and would recommend Handicare to others.

Original review: March 2, 2018

We have elderly people living with us and they needed the lift. We got feedback online and from some other people that had bought stairlifts. It seems like Handicare's reputation and quality was better than some of the other ones out there. The rep I dealt with was excellent as far as explaining to us what it was, what we are getting and what was involved. We have a turned staircase in the house so the stairlifts are required to be ordered. He had recommended that he could put a straight line in for us while the other one was on order so we get us at least most of the stairs down. He even did that while we were waiting for the custom built ones and it took six weeks to get it. He always gets back to me and kept me posted on what was happening. He represented well and did a good job.

The installer did a professional job and the installation looks fine. The stairlift looks well-built and I'll be very happy if a year from now it's still doing the same thing. In terms of the cost in relation to the quality, it is very competitive. We had it for two weeks and so far it seems to do the job. We’ve been very happy so far and I would tell a friend not to hesitate to use Handicare.

Handicare response

Michael, thank you for taking the time to share your Handicare experience with others. We're happy that you're enjoying your new stairlift!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

When I purchased Handicare Stairlift for my mother-in-law, I relied on the choice of the dealer. This unit had a cogwheel drive versus cable. The installers had some difficulties and had to call tech support. It took a lot longer to put in than anticipated. The unit malfunctioned and it was enough of a catastrophe that they had to replace the whole mechanism over. The quality control should have known there was something wrong with it ahead of time 'cause it wasn't that complicated to install it.

The installers had to come back to replace the chair and they demonstrated it to my mother-in-law. She's taken a little bit used to it. Not because it’s hard to use, it’s just that some are reluctant to jump on it when they’ve been using the stairs all their life. The chair looks goods and works good now. So I'm happy. The unit is a straight stairlift and it sits and functions well. It may be a little slower than I would have thought it could be, but it's smooth. The Handicare Stairlift has good value.

Handicare response

Hi David, We're sorry to hear about the initial problems during installation. We're glad to hear that you and your mother-in-law are now happy with it.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have lung cancer so I needed a stairlift. I like Handicare's price so I bought a straight type unit from them. Their installation team was nice and showed me everything about the stairlift, how it works and where its batteries were. It's good and it has saved me steps. I haven't had the unit that long but I really like it. I had a good experience with them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

When I had my father-in-law here, I was looking for a stairlift on the internet, and Handicare seemed like a very good company. I liked their price and the rating that I saw online. I had them install a curved stairlift that has an inside bin. It fits within the stairwell really good. We had a couple problems with it right at the beginning. When it's down at the bottom, it's okay because it goes past the stairwell. But when it's all the way up and you're in the stairwell, it makes it a little bit tight to try to get past it. It would stop halfway. And there was some type of wiring screwed up in it. But Handicare came out and looked at it and fixed it right away.

The stairlift was expensive but the quality is great. My father-in-law had no problems going up and down with it but he said, sometimes it was a little jerky. It made his life easier because he can go up and down the stairs. He's no longer living with us, so the hurtful part is we paid a lot of money for the stairlift but then, we can't sell it. Because it's a curved, it's worthless now and we're stuck with it. But it didn’t bother me a bit except I have this big hunk of metal thing in my stairwell now. I wish they had a buyback program. Other than that, it's a good piece of machinery.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I needed help getting up the stairs, and the occupational therapist that I was working with at that time recommended Handicare Stairlifts. I talked to the reps and they seemed reasonable and could meet my needs pretty quickly. The straight stairlift that I got is as compacted as I imagined it should be, and it fits fine inside of the stairwell. We had to decide whether or not to take the rails on both sides of the stairs, and we decided to take one rail out so we could put the stairlift closer to the wall. But I still want to install a rail that's more pressed to the wall behind that, so that we could still have rails on both sides. The quality of the stairlift is okay, the ride is pretty good and I feel safe enough. I'm also not falling down the stairs anymore, which is its major feature.

However, I was a little concerned at first because our stairlift is quiet going down but coming up, where it's more underloaded, it hums a little more. The stairlift that we tried out in the store was a little quieter going up. I had the technicians come out to look at my stairlift, but they didn't think anything was wrong or unusual. They just put a bit more lubricant on it to make sure the noise is bearable. The model that we got has the post of the seat on one side, and it extends out over the seat. I'm a little worried that it will sag at the end of that seat, but it hasn't so far. That model was also the more inexpensive version. They didn’t have another option and I didn't want to wait, so it was the one we had to choose. The Handicare stairlift has been worth a peace of mind and I would recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I've had the Handicare stairlift for two years now and it's working very well. The Handicare stairlift is very safe when I'm using it and the quality is good. I'd tell others to buy one.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My wife keeps having trouble going up the steps so I called Walnut Medical and Handicare was what they handled. I paid $3100 and the stairlift seems to be working good. It's predominantly for my wife but if it's sitting there and I have to go up for a reason, I jump on it and go too. But if we don't want to use it, we can also walk up the steps easily because the seat, footrest and both arms go up. The staircase is straight shot here and as far as that goes, the Handicare stairlift can't be beat.

Hi Jack,

We're so happy that both you and your wife are enjoying the Handicare Stairlift!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

My mom's all set and happy with Handicare Stairlifts. She has COPD and she can't get up and down the stairs. Somebody had a used Handicare stairlift that was available through Adaptech and that one was less expensive so we got her that for her. It's the straight option stairlift and it's perfect. The quality is very nice, it rides well and it’s not noisy.

Handicare response

Thank you for the feedback. We're so glad to hear that it's working out for your mom.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I couldn't walk up the steps anymore. My daughter had Handicare installed for the steps, straight up. It's good quality, and regarding the noise level, I can hardly hear it. I'm safe and it's made it easier for me to go upstairs to my bedroom and my bath. It's also good that it’s got a remote and I would recommend Handicare if others needed a stairlift.

Original review: May 15, 2017

The Handicare Stairlift won't turn towards the top stairs and it’s wobbly. That’s dangerous especially for people that can hardly even move. It’s also expensive. Medicare and Medicaid used to pay for those chairs but some people were using them as decorations on their house, which is stupid. Because if I had a choice I wouldn't want one of those in my house. But they have good lawyers working for them to make excuses to get the prices high. And when you get older and you end up getting in this kind of condition that I'm in, you can't afford to be spending money. Plus, I'm retired and I'm trying to raise my grandchildren at the same time. Insurance should pay for it because you would not like to be crippled. You want to stay healthy and good.

Original review: May 14, 2017

I didn't like the Handicare salesman who came here. He was talking one thing and then the day he came to measure he's like, "Oh no, you need a hinge at the bottom of the stairs." But it's $200 more, so I felt a little taken aback. That should have been talked about and mentioned. As it was when we worked it out where I didn't need one. But I like the installation guys. They were really good. And the stairlift is serving its purpose so we're very happy with it.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Handicare was recommended to us by people who had done it. The representative who helped with our purchase was very informative and covered all of the questions that we had about it. He also did the installation and he did fine, only took about two hours. Overall, Handicare has good people, good price, and it's a good equipment.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I was researching stairlifts for my wife and when I was reading the history of Handicare, they seemed to be a company with a good background and it gave me the trust in calling them up. There were two people I dealt with. Edward was the person who installed the stairlift. A second person came towards the end to give him a final assist. Both were very knowledgeable and helpful. It was a positive experience. My wife goes well with the stairlift and I’m amazed that I can get up and down the stairs without any trouble. The results that were achieved were beyond our expectations.

Handicare response

We appreciate your feedback, Sheldon!

Original review: April 5, 2017

I ordered in November and it was install January 3, 2017. I had problems with the delivery day but they managed to have it delivered in time. Great customer service and a great job done by the Orlando office. This was installed for my mother-in-law who happens to be 95 years old and I live on the second floor. It was a blessing for her to be able to come up and down with ease. It was the best three months she had living in Florida for the winter season. I'm hoping she makes it again next year and next year and next year. If not then it was worth every penny to see the joy in her face. Again Handicare great job on your services and your effort in coming through to get this installed in a timely manner.

Hi Xavier,

We're delighted to read your feedback and that we could help your mother-in-law.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

Handicare was willing to come out to the house right away and give an estimate. Interactions with their sales reps were good, as well. They were fast and knew everything about their product. The installer was also great and knowledgeable. I really like the stairlift. It’s like having an elevator to get to the second floor.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I just had gone through two back surgeries so I was struggling to get up the steps but thanks to Handicare, I'm getting up and down the stairs now. I found the company through the ConsumerAffairs' site and their free-form stairlift conformed to our stairwell much better. During purchase, a young man designed a program which was very good. They have a computer-aided design system that let us put down little markers and they can calculate the chair lift/chair slope for the rail all the way up. I could see a computer-generated illustration of what it looks like in our stairwell or how much of the stairwell it takes up. Also, the product's made separately in Holland, assembled and tested, before it comes here to be put in.

One guy started installation then another joined him later on. I let them have their space because they had a lot of parts to put together and they did it well within the time that they said they would when it got here. And it works. The chair is self-centering even if we have vicious slope changes. We have a two-run staircase with a one-step well halfway up. So, the chair has to go up, level out, change, and then guide itself into a climb to get up. It pulls down around the bottom of the stairwell all the way into a parking place. It’s perfect and our landing is big enough that it’s far enough away from the stairwell that I don’t lose any traffic to it. And it folds out of the way, too. So far, I would recommend Handicare. Their system, though a bit more expensive than the others, fits our needs better.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I did a lot of research after I had already committed to another company. I’ve read some of the comments about their chairlift and they were negative. So I looked up the number one stairlift in Florida and the one for Handicare came up. It was good that I did that because I know I’m happier with the stairlift that I bought from Handicare than I would have been with the other one. Handicare has a lifetime motor guarantee and their extended warranty also was beneficial.

The representative was great, courteous, professional and knowledgeable about the product. The explanation of the product and the warranties and the features sold me. The installation of the product was really quick and the installer did a very professional job too. He had given me a step-by-step on how they did it because my husband was very concerned. We just put new carpet in, and the installer was explaining exactly where he would put it and how it’d look against the wall and some extra safety tips.

I feel very secure on the stairlift and it’s comfortable. I can now get upstairs and be with my family. I’m very satisfied with Handicare. I would definitely recommend it to anybody who had any stairs. As a matter of fact, my husband is thinking of putting one outside for me ‘cause I haven’t been able to go back down off our deck for the last four years.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Our experience with Handicare Stairlifts has been very good and very efficient. It was the most accessible from where we live at the time that we got it and the rep who assisted us with our purchase was fabulous. He was very personable and very knowledgeable, and answered all our questions. He did not try to push for us to get it. He just explained the different options and was very helpful. He was very clear about the warranties as well. He also told us that we can remove it if we ever sell the house and take it with us which was a revelation that I hadn't even thought about.

When the chair tilted when my husband tried to get out of it a couple of days ago, Handicare sent someone out this morning and he knew exactly what the problem was. It had something to do with a bolt and he fixed it immediately. He came early and was efficient. Handicare has made my husband's life a lot more enjoyable. The stairlift is convenient for him. It gets him up to our second floor without him struggling up the stairs, which was becoming harder and harder for him.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

I had a broken ankle and needed a stairlift to get up my stairs. My sister and I looked online and Handicare had the best rating. It was all right with them. However, I had a little problem in the beginning because they lost my check. I had to put a stop on it and get another check. I had to wait for them to pay me for the stopped check, which they said they would, but it took quite a while that I didn't get it and I had to keep calling them. But other than that, the salesman was great and the chair's working good thus far.

Handicare expert review by Shelley Webb

Handicare has healthcare roots going back to the 19th century and has been installing stairlifts since the early 1960s. The company now works with 1300 partners and dealers around the world, about half of which operate in the United States and Canada. Their products provide safe and reliable ways for individuals with physical challenges to get up and down stairs.

• They offer multiple types of stair lifts: Handicare has both straight and curved stairlifts to accommodate a variety of layouts. They also offer models for outdoor use, and all stairlifts can be further customized to meet consumers’ needs.

• They do in-home consultations: Interested consumers can contact Handicare and one of the company’s partners will come to their home to do an in-person consultation. They’ll take measurements and 3D images to give consumers recommendations and an accurate quote.

• Their products have a warranty: All Handicare stairlifts come with a standard two-year warranty and a six-month battery guarantee. Customers who want a longer warranty can purchase an extended service plan.

• They make safe products: All of the sharp material on Handicare stairlifts is covered by a metal strip, and the tracks are on the bottom of the lift. Both of these features ensure that users and/or the children who visit them will not accidently hurt themselves or damage the lift.

• They educate consumers: Consumer education is a part of the installation process. After the technician installs the stairlift, she or he will make sure the user knows how to operate the system.

• Best for: people with limited mobility, joint pain and/or those with heart or lung problems.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Handicare Company Information