Call toll free
4.65/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Handicare is a global leader committed to providing innovative products that promote independence. We offer a wide variety of straight and curved stairlifts to fit the many needs of users looking for a safe and reliable way of overcoming the problem of getting up and down the stairs.

Handicare Video
Handicare Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Handicare has several stair lift models designed to appeal to almost everyone. Although some of the models don't have very high weight limits, others have add-ons to increase the weight capacity.

PROS

• More stair lift options than most brands
  • Sleek models available
  • Unique 3D visualization program

CONS

• Limited weight limits on basic models

Top Handicare Reviews

08/01/2018

I'm on oxygen, and it was hard to get up and down the stairs. I bought a straight, indoor stairlift from Handicare... Before, I just really stressed about having to go downstairs and, now, I don't.

04/21/2019

Handicare stair lift models

Whether you’re looking for the most modern-looking stair lift with all the latest features, or a basic, affordable stair lift, you’ll be able to find an option with Handicare. Along with their rails designed for straight stairs, they have rails for curved stair lifts, as well as both indoor and outdoor options.

• The 950 Straight Stairlift is Handicare’s basic stair lift solution and is great for those looking to buy within a budget. It has a manual swivel seat and manual folding footrest. Handicare specially designed the toggle control for everyone, including those with limited motion due to conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
  • The 950+ Straight Stairlift is similar to the 950 Straight Stairlift but has some more power options. For example, the swivel seat is power operated, the footrest is powered to fold up automatically, and you can also take advantage of a body harness for added stability.
  • The 1000 Straight Stairlift’s claim to fame is its slim profile, making it a good option for stairwells with less space. In fact, it is billed as the slimmest straight stair lift track on the market. It also has a higher weight limit than the 950 and 950+ models. The XXL upgrade allows the chair to hold up to 440 lbs.
  • The Xclusive Stairlift looks modern and sleek, designed to look like a homey furniture piece rather than a utilitarian device. The continuous charge track means the Xclusive will charge no matter where it is on the track, not just at the top or bottom landing.
  • The 2000 Curved Stairlift is built specifically for curved staircases, especially ones with tight bends. Handicare’s Powered Hinge Rail can let you park the seat at the top of the stairs when not in use. It also lets you fold up the track when no one is using the lift. A body harness is available for additional stability and support.
  • When installing the Freecurve Curved Stairlift, Handicare uses their PhotoSurvey3D system to take pictures of your stairwell and provide a preview image of your curved stair lift in the space. Other features include a key switch, multiple charging points, a manual emergency stop, and a retractable seat belt.
  • The 1000 Outdoor Stairlift is similar to the 1000 Straight Stairlift, but with additional features to make it suitable for the great outdoors. This stair lift is waterproof and made with weather-resistant materials to keep it in good condition no matter the climate.
  • The 2000 Outdoor Stairlift is the twin of the 2000 Curved Stairlift. Both are great for curved stairwells. The one difference is the 2000 Outdoor Stairlift is specially designed for protection against the elements. UV-protected upholstery keeps the seat looking new. This model also has battery backup so it can run even if the power goes out.
ModelWeightBest Feature
950 Straight Stairlift310 lbsAffordability
950+ Straight Stairlift310 lbs (or 265 lbs with SlideTrack)Power swivel and footrest
1000 Straight Stairlift350 lbs (or 440 lbs with XXL heavy duty kit)Slim profile
Xclusive Stairlift285 lbsSleek, modern look
2000 Curved Stairlift250 lbs (or 300 lbs with XXL heavy duty kit)Powered hinge rail
Freecurve Curved Stairlift275 lbsPhotoSurvey3D used with installation
1000 Outdoor Stairlift350 lbsWaterproof design
2000 Outdoor Stairlift250 lbs (or 300 lbs with XXL heavy duty kit)UV-protected upholstery

Handicare stair lift cost

Handicare doesn’t publish its prices on its website, but you can fill out a form to receive a quote. Typically though, straight stair lifts cost between $2,000 and $5,000. A curved stair lift will cost closer to $5,000 to $10,000. The simpler the unit, the cheaper it will be. Stair lifts with advanced features will cost more.

Handicare has slightly different warranties for its indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The straight stair lifts have a lifetime warranty on the gearbox and motor; however, the curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. Regardless, all Handicare stair lifts have a two-year warranty on the system as a whole.

Do we recommend Handicare stair lifts?

We are happy to recommend Handicare. They expressly designed their stair lifts to accommodate a wide range of weights, environmental needs, and budgets. We also love their PhotoSurvey3D program that lets you envision what a stair lift might look like in your home. After careful consideration, Handicare is a solid choice for an in-home stair lift.

Handicare Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 21, 2019

As I had to have foot surgery and I was non-weight bearing, I pulled my shoulders out from trying to get up and down the steps. I got the straight Handicare stairlift for the back stairs and the installers were in and out without a problem. This stairlift keeps me from being confined to the upstairs and if I had a problem, I would feel very free to call the people who sold it to me and installed it for me.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

A relative of mine thought I should get a stairlift although I feel that I do not really need it. The Handicare stairlift's overall quality is all right. I do not have any problem going up and down the steps but I would just rather do it myself.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We purchased the stairlift in 2016. It malfunctioned in Sept. 2018. We had difficulty in finding someone at Orlando Tech Services to help. An authorized dealer was assigned to us in Nov. 2018. The remote control arm was replaced 11/29/2018. The chair's computer was replaced the week before Christmas. Remotes were not in the box. We are still waiting for the remotes. The authorized dealer has advised us that the Orlando office called them yesterday, 2/12/2019, to say the remotes were on back order with no estimated delivery date. I had called the Orlando office earlier that day to complain. The Orlando office refused to talk to me. Handicare USA can send me an account statement with a balance on it but the tech services office cannot talk to me. I am frustrated beyond words.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My husband's handicapped so I got a Handicare stairlift. Other stairlifts has weight limitations. They didn't go as high as Handicare. The sales visit from their dealer was fine. It's just that they sent somebody that probably wasn't trained enough to install one. They folded the rail at the edge of my stuff and made a dent the metal stripping that I had across my tile. They made a dent in there from falling. They need to watch who's selling their product because I wasn't real happy about that either. It could give them a bad name because of the experience. It took me close to a year to get it running, and then I've had it approximately four years. But when I was in need of battery, I went to contact them and they were out of business. They put me in contact to one of their authorized repair people, and that's where I got my battery.

They contracted somebody the third visit. The one guy said, the way they had the wires, he wondered it didn't catch something on fire, which didn't make me very happy. It was just a fiasco, and they would come back and take a look at it and wouldn't have any available parts, so they had to order it. It would be like a month at a time between each visit. But I didn't have to pay anything because it was covered. If I have any more other issues, I will reach out to them because they are authorized by the Handicare to work on these. The stairlift appears to be pretty well made and I don't have any issues on it.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Handicare makes beautiful lifts and for the most part they are made well. If you ever have a problem with any of their products be prepared to wait for weeks to get a part and pray that they ship the right part. Their customer service is just horrible. No response and major attitude. The company culture is really bad across the board no matter who you speak with. I wish we knew this before we bought a Handicare Stairlift.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handicare?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I had to have a stairlift because I have a business in my lower storey and I have to get up and down on steps. I chose Handicare because the hospital where I called to ask told me that that’s where they have gotten theirs. We have a 90 degree turn in our house and it was gonna cost quite a bit more to have the kind that went around the curve. So, we opted to buy two instead. Handicare was very professional but I’m disappointed with the stairlift itself. I haven’t had to use it for a while and was used very little but there is a terrible noise in it. I was afraid to use it.

I called the store where I bought it from and they were only about two and a half hours away from here. But it’s been months and they have not come. The other one doesn’t make this noise but there is something about it. The guy told me on the phone, “I’m quite sure I know what it is.” I didn’t think it was a big deal to fix it but it sounded terrible. And then, there was another time when I couldn’t use it for a week which when you couldn’t walk up and down the stairs is a long time. But due to the distance, they weren’t getting up here to fix it. And then, there was another time when I had to wait quite a while and it was winter time. So, in order to get to the upper storey, I had to go outside. They said they didn't want to make it a special trip and indicated that they didn’t handle Handicare anymore.

On the other hand, the fellow who came to fix it was very professional and really good. But I didn’t felt like the service has been what it would have been having them being closer. I like to have some other support besides just me calling them but I’m afraid I am not going to have someone to help back me up. Now that I don't need it, I wish that it's not here because it never worked out well for it to get fixed. If I had to do this over again, I would have not bought from Handicare. I would just return it and have it taken out but I’m sure they’re gonna say, “Well, you’ve had it too long for that.”

Handicare response
Hi Kristy,

I apologize for this frustration. We would like to resolve this for you. Could you kindly let us know which dealer you purchased this stairlift from? If you feel more comfortable, you can also email us at marketing.accessibility@handicare.com for assistance.

Look forward to speaking and providing you some assistance.

Meredith

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I needed a stairlift because I was having back problems and trouble getting up and down the stairs. My friend bought the Handicare stairlift for me and it was installed wonderfully. It's handy and I love it.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Using the Handicare stairlift has been helping and making a big difference in the life of my elder who needed a stairlift. A rep showed up and he was very nice, and he showed me the steps in getting the stairlift. We gave him the measurements of our stairs and then he ordered the unit. We got a curved stairlift from them. Then the installers came on time and they installed it, and they did a demonstration on how to use it. We've got wide stairs upstairs and it fits okay into the stairwell. The stairlift is expensive but its quality is good.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Handicare stairlift was expensive, but I got it on sale at 20% off so it saved me quite a lot of money. The rep went on a sales visit and did a good job personally. They told us everything we needed to know about it. The guy who installed it was very pleasant and informative, too, and he was finished in one day. The stairlift is of good quality. We've got one of the fold-up arms that come up. It was pretty easy to fold up myself. I got problems walking up and down the stairs so I got a stairlift, but I still go up and down the stairs myself as much as I can. I use the stairlift when it is necessary.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I'm on oxygen, and it was hard to get up and down the stairs. I bought a straight, indoor stairlift from Handicare. They were a little cheaper than other providers. Handicare's rep was a really nice person, very personable and nice to work with. I appreciated that she came, saw what I needed and didn't try to sell the most expensive thing to me. The installers were super and really nice people, too. They really cared about what they were doing and they showed me how to use the stairlift. The stairlift is great. Everything folds up if somebody needs to get past it. I've had it since May and it has made my life a whole lot easier. Before, I just really stressed about having to go downstairs and, now, I don't.

Handicare Company Information