2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

4.5/5 (95 ratings)

About Handicare

Handicare offers accessibility products that help people stay independent as they age in place. Its products include a variety of straight, curved and outdoor stair lifts, providing multiple options for getting up and down the stairs safely. Handicare can install a stair lift in roughly four hours. Financing may be available through your dealer, and all indoor Handicare stair lifts come with a limited lifetime warranty.

Pros

• Straight, curved and outdoor models
  • Multiple seat and color options
  • 3D visualization app

Cons

• Limited weight limits on basic models
  • May be expensive

Bottom Line

Handicare has stair lifts for many different staircases and user needs. Although some of the models don't have very high weight limits, a few higher-end models have increased weight capacities.

Handicare Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handicare?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handicare?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Per my email response from Consumer Affairs on Saturday, 8/04 they were to contact me in 24 hours. Allowing for Sunday, 8/05, to date it has been three business days since then (now 8/08), with no response! Looking elsewhere. So much for their 5-star rating. Customer service: 0.0.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought the product 1 year and 7 months ago. My original experience with the sale and the installation process was very successful and I gave them a 5 star. I bought an outdoor curved stairlift. I was going to call to get service done prior to my 2 year anniversary. We only use the lift when my mother in law is visiting from January to March. When not in use I run it at least once a month and use Vaseline per installer instruction to have the pipe lubricated.

I called 2 weeks ago to get the chair serviced since it was not working. I ran it in May and it worked. A month later in June it was not working. I waited another month hoping that it might work and it did not. I contacted them for service but we are in the 3rd week with no response from Handicare customer service in getting the lift repaired. They routed me to 4 companies that perform service for Handicare customers in Estero Fl. Two were from Tampa and Sarasota and they indicated it was too far for them to service. The other two were from Fort Myers. One would not service since they indicated they did not install it and the second one never returned my call. All calls were three way call initiated by Handicare customer service.

Once the call was connected they got off the line so they never knew what the final results where. They assumed the service was resolved. Last week I called Handicare customer service and presented my problem again and have not received a return call. It’s like no one wants to take ownership. Once the sale and the installation was completed they ignore their customers. As of now my lifts needs service and hope I can get it completed by January for my 97 year old mother in law.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My legs got worse and I couldn’t do steps. I tried going up with the kids helping me for a while, but it was too much of a struggle. So, I figured stairlifts are worthwhile. I got one from Handicare and their sales visit was all good. I got the straight one and its perfect for my stairwell. Its ride is very fluid and I’ve no trouble with it.

Handicare response

Glad you're enjoying your straight stairlift, Pauline!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I'm on oxygen, and it was hard to get up and down the stairs. I bought a straight, indoor stairlift from Handicare. They were a little cheaper than other providers. Handicare's rep was a really nice person, very personable and nice to work with. I appreciated that she came, saw what I needed and didn't try to sell the most expensive thing to me. The installers were super and really nice people, too. They really cared about what they were doing and they showed me how to use the stairlift. The stairlift is great. Everything folds up if somebody needs to get past it. I've had it since May and it has made my life a whole lot easier. Before, I just really stressed about having to go downstairs and, now, I don't.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Handicare stairlift was expensive, but I got it on sale at 20% off so it saved me quite a lot of money. The rep went on a sales visit and did a good job personally. They told us everything we needed to know about it. The guy who installed it was very pleasant and informative, too, and he was finished in one day. The stairlift is of good quality. We've got one of the fold-up arms that come up. It was pretty easy to fold up myself. I got problems walking up and down the stairs so I got a stairlift, but I still go up and down the stairs myself as much as I can. I use the stairlift when it is necessary.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Using the Handicare stairlift has been helping and making a big difference in the life of my elder who needed a stairlift. A rep showed up and he was very nice, and he showed me the steps in getting the stairlift. We gave him the measurements of our stairs and then he ordered the unit. We got a curved stairlift from them. Then the installers came on time and they installed it, and they did a demonstration on how to use it. We've got wide stairs upstairs and it fits okay into the stairwell. The stairlift is expensive but its quality is good.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I’m an amputee and my one leg and my arm were giving out from going up and down the stairs of the house I had before. Then when we bought a new house, everything is on one floor, but it has a garage and a bonus room, which I made into a music room. So I had two Handicare stairlifts put in to make it easy for me to use the stairs. The sales representative was a good guy. You couldn't get a better salesperson than him. He made a special appointment on a Saturday for us and he said he wouldn’t be comfortable selling me one until I tried it. So we tried a few of his different stairlifts. Then the technicians put the straight stairlifts in the next day. After it got finished, they showed us how it worked and explained what to do if the power went out.

The very next day, one of the stairlifts got a short in it and it wouldn’t stop beeping. The guy wanted to come right then, but it was late in the evening so we told him not to. But he was here at 8 o’clock the next morning to fix it. He found out that something was pinching a wire in the chair and would cut a wire the way it was made. He said he was gonna write it up that this pair of new chairs had a flaw and he even went and fixed the one that didn't need to be fixed, so it wouldn't happen to it. Other than that, it’s easy for me to get in and out of the stairlift and it’s quiet. A lot of times, I'm up during late at night and my wife doesn't even hear me when I ride that thing up the steps. I love both of my Handicare stairlifts. And I would recommend them to anybody.

Handicare response

Thank you for the feedback, Steve!

Original review: July 24, 2018

My wife has fallen down the steps and injured herself seriously. We live in a two-story house and had to have a stairlift installed. I used to work for the company, a local dealer, that sells Handicare stairlifts. It was after I was let go that I knew that there were a lot of people that serviced handicaps with their oxygen tanks. I talked to John and he mentioned a few or higher-end models, but we settled for what he suggested, which was Handicare. I trusted him and I got the stairlift.

I personally know the installation team and they were good. We have a straight stairlift installed and it's tight. The space was narrow and the steps were steep. According to them, we only had an inch or two to spare. That aside, the stairlift is great for my wife. I like the quietness of the stairlift and also that it has remote controls. It has the feature that lets it fold-up at the bottom which is nice. Also, the cost was adequate and it was right where I thought it should be. Plus, if we ever move out of here, the stairlift will be a good sales feature. Overall, I'm highly satisfied and would recommend Handicare to others.

Original review: March 2, 2018

We have elderly people living with us and they needed the lift. We got feedback online and from some other people that had bought stairlifts. It seems like Handicare's reputation and quality was better than some of the other ones out there. The rep I dealt with was excellent as far as explaining to us what it was, what we are getting and what was involved. We have a turned staircase in the house so the stairlifts are required to be ordered. He had recommended that he could put a straight line in for us while the other one was on order so we get us at least most of the stairs down. He even did that while we were waiting for the custom built ones and it took six weeks to get it. He always gets back to me and kept me posted on what was happening. He represented well and did a good job.

The installer did a professional job and the installation looks fine. The stairlift looks well-built and I'll be very happy if a year from now it's still doing the same thing. In terms of the cost in relation to the quality, it is very competitive. We had it for two weeks and so far it seems to do the job. We’ve been very happy so far and I would tell a friend not to hesitate to use Handicare.

Handicare response

Michael, thank you for taking the time to share your Handicare experience with others. We're happy that you're enjoying your new stairlift!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

When I purchased Handicare Stairlift for my mother-in-law, I relied on the choice of the dealer. This unit had a cogwheel drive versus cable. The installers had some difficulties and had to call tech support. It took a lot longer to put in than anticipated. The unit malfunctioned and it was enough of a catastrophe that they had to replace the whole mechanism over. The quality control should have known there was something wrong with it ahead of time 'cause it wasn't that complicated to install it.

The installers had to come back to replace the chair and they demonstrated it to my mother-in-law. She's taken a little bit used to it. Not because it’s hard to use, it’s just that some are reluctant to jump on it when they’ve been using the stairs all their life. The chair looks goods and works good now. So I'm happy. The unit is a straight stairlift and it sits and functions well. It may be a little slower than I would have thought it could be, but it's smooth. The Handicare Stairlift has good value.

Handicare response

Hi David, We're sorry to hear about the initial problems during installation. We're glad to hear that you and your mother-in-law are now happy with it.

Handicare Company Information