2. Homeowners

3.5/5 (39 ratings)

Find Hot Tubs partners near you

About Caldera Spas

Find Hot Tubs partners near you

Pros

• Customizable options
    • Energy efficient
    • Easy to maintain

Cons

• Shorter warranty on some models
    • More expensive

Bottom Line

Caldera hot tubs are easy to maintain and come with a variety of customizable features. Some customers complain about frequent repairs, but most enjoy the sleek, modern design.

Caldera Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caldera Spas?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caldera Spas?

Original review: June 30, 2021

I love my Caldera Cantabria Hot tub. It is my happy place and I smile every time I'm in it. It does, however, have a few problems. The jets do fall off a lot, and after an hour of use, it shuts down automatically and there is no way to restart it. I've learned to stop and restart it around the 50 minute mark and this seems to trick it into running for another hour. My final issue is the location of the control panel. It is located right by the exit point, and in the dark it is easy to put your hand on it when getting out. Last night, my boyfriend put too much pressure on it when exiting the tub and the screen cracked making it unable to read at all. We are going to have to buy a new one and I'm bummed because they are not cheap to replace and this seems like a poor design on something I paid top dollar for. Overall, I really do love my tub, I don't mean to sound over negative, but those are my only negatives.

Oh no, Jodi!

I am sorry to hear about the spa issues. I will DM you for further assistance.

You bring up a good topic about getting in and out of the spa. There are spa handrails that swivel allowing a bather to get in and out easily. Also, there is no designated entry or exit point on the spa. Feel free to move your spa steps to get in the spa on another side.

Thank you for your post and I'm happy to hear that you love your spa.
    I look forward to working with you.

Vanessa Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Purchased our Spa our Utopia Spa and had it delivered on 09/20/2020. Love it but only thing is the jet parts keep falling off and the cartridges last less than two months. I've tried everything and have already gone through 3 cartridges since September 2020. We use the spa 3-4 times a week and I am on top of cleaning it twice a week. Bummed as the cartridges are expensive and we were told we would only need to change it every 4 months!~ Not true.

Alex,

Thank you for your feedback. I am thrilled that you love your spa. I am sorry to hear that your jet parts keep falling off, and the salt cartridges do not last the average time frame, as they should. I want to learn more about your water care and help out. I will DM you for more information. I appreciate the details, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

We purchased a Caldera Salina in February of 2020. We went with the saltwater system as we were told it is little to no maintenance. The hot tub itself has been a very welcomed addition to our home and we use it about 3 times a week. Unfortunately the salt cartridges that we were told should last about 4 months have only been lasting about a month and a half. Big difference when a year supply is about $300 dollars. When we contacted Caldera about this we were told our dealer would reimburse us with more cartridges but the dealer sends us back to Caldera. Beginning to feel like the level of support goes out the window once they get your money. Not sure where to go from here but now I'm stuck with $900 a year in cartridges cost.

Caldera Spas response
    Oh no! That is not how it should be. I will make sure you get your cartridges. I will also work with our team and the dealer to resolve the issue. The cartridges should last 4 months. I am sure there is an adjustment that can be made.
    Thank you for taking the time to share your review, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

It's time to sink in. Let's you reflect, relax on a level that will take your breath away, it calms your thoughts, releases depression, and stress and your body will recharge and thank you. I personally invite you to try the transformation that will prepare you for life’s untold adventures and journeys. Just simply a great product and excellent service.

Caldera Spas response
    WOW! Misty, Thank you for your colorful review. You make me what to jump into mine right now :)

I am excited to hear that you are enjoying your spa to the fullest.

Happy Hot Tubbing!

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

BEWARE! Bought a Cadera Geneva Spa December 2016 in the tune of over $13,000. Last May of 2000, I discovered the spa not working. Called local dealer to repair under warranty. They confirmed the spa was still under warranty and referred me to Caldera Watkins Manufacturing Warranty Department. To make a very very long story short, I had called and emailed many times over a two month span to only be promised a call back to arrange repairs. Never would get those returned promised calls. I called local dealer to fix and would pay out-of-pocket just to get it done.

Replaced heater and pump at a cost of $769.76. The local dealer called Watkins to see if they will warranty the repairs and they said they would and I would not have to pay out-of-pocket. Once repairs were made, I was presented with COD bill because local dealer could not get confirmation from company to pay for repairs under warranty. (Basically had same non response as I experienced.)

Now, December 2000, I still have not been reimbursed. I have called and emailed company as well as the local dealer calling company assisting me to get a response from Watkins to no avail. This company will not stand behind its warranties! My advice is to stay away from all products from Watkins: Caldera, Hot Springs, Freeflow, Jetsetter, Costco Spas. Just look at the other reviews... And, just another annoying thing, the speakers (warrantied 1 year) crapped out shortly after a year. No matter, they sucked anyway, they sounded like an AM transistor radio underwater.

Caldera Spas response
    Oh Wow! No, that should not be the case. I don't know how this happened, but I assure you I will give this my full attention. I will DM you to obtain your full name and who you are working with.
    Thank you for your time and for reaching out.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

We bought a Caldera Salina model in February 2019. We bought the 8 person model because we have a family of five. The first 3 months were amazing! After that we ran into serious issues trying to keep the spa running. We had the tech support out 6 times in 4 months and they tried to charge us for his visits, he couldn't even fix the issue. Our spa shuts down into safety mode almost every day, we contacted every possible person to walk us through what we need to do and still nothing has happened. We have the fresh water salt system which was an additional $1000 for less Maintenance and lower yearly costs.

We have to buy the cartridges in three packs which costs approx $225 which should last the year but they don’t, we go through almost 1 cartridge per month. The company says it’s due to excessive use, 3 kids and 2 adults should be able to use the spa daily in an 8 person tub. Anyways the whole company is a waste of time and so was this huge purchase, I look forward to the day I can justifiably purchase a new spa from a different company... Stay away from caldera!!! -$13,000.

Caldera Spas response
    Mike, I am sorry to hear about your spa experience. That is not how it should be. I will contact you to see how I can help.
    Thank you for taking the time to share your review and for allowing me to assist you. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

We purchased the Caldera Salina in February of 2015. Within the first 6-months the outer shell started cracking. We ended up having to replace just about every panel as they were all cracking. No issues with getting new ones which was nice! Customer service was great for that. The tub worked great for the next couple of years, then things started breaking in late 2018. First the speakers stopped working on the stereo, next the air valves stopped working, then a pump stopped working, then the leaks started happening, and then the machine just wouldn't work in late 2019. Everything was under warranty, except for the stereo.

The technician was confused with some of the details of the hot tub. He ended up cutting one of the clear tubes to try to get the air valves working again. That didn't work. Not sure which pump stopped working, but one of them is still leaking. I have to put water in the tub every week. It feels as if we got a lemon...and now we are stuck with it.

Hello Anthony,

Wow, I am sorry that has been your experience. I would like to know more to see how I can help. I will DM you for more info about your spa. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your review.

Vanessa- Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

We paid an extra $1000 for the Freshwater Salt System in our Caldera Salina hot tub floor plan. Our dealer said they personally have a Caldera and routinely get 4 months of use out of the consumable conductivity cartridge that is the part of the system that generates chlorine. Based on what I was told, that was fine, because maintenance costs would be about $300 per year. Surprise!!! Try 2 or less months of life per very overpriced cartridge.

My water has been tested often by my dealer, so that’s not the issue, and they’re at a loss to explain why I’m now going to have to spend more than double that per year to keep the system working and chlorine levels normalized. I’ve seen this same complaint all over the internet. Watkins (Caldera) needs to either solve this problem or eventually someone is going to file a class action lawsuit. OR, they could just make the cheapo cartridges reasonably priced... not $75 a piece. 10 months in, I’m not very happy at all with my Caldera spa as it stands right now.

Caldera Spas response
    Bill, Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I'm sorry to hear about your spa experience. Water care should not be frustrating. I will DM you to see how I can help.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: May 20, 2020

Do your research. Caldera claims it's a high end hot tub, and for the price point, you would expect it. But my experience says otherwise. Shop around, do your research, there are better products out there for a more reasonable price. First Caldera spa, will be my last Caldera spa.

Hello Al,

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your spa. I am sure there is more to this review, and if you are willing, I'd like to know more. I will DM you for your spa info and details.

Thank you for taking the time, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: April 20, 2020

My wife and I are experienced Spa owners. We bought our third Caldera Utopia Niagara Spa in October 2019 and chose to try the FreshWater Salt sanitation system. We love how the water feels and when the FreshWater Salt cartridge is working, it works great! Once adjusted for your usage level, it maintains the proper amount of chlorine with no intervention. I do occasionally need to reduce the PH levels which is expected.

However and unfortunately, the cartridges only seem to last about 6 weeks which is a FAR cry from the advertised 4 months (16 weeks). Our service technician upgraded the FreshWater Salt controller to a newer version, but it hasn't improved cartridge life. We only use the tub once or twice a week and keep the Salt system setting at "4". This maintains the chlorine right where we want it. But after 6 weeks it just stops working and the only cure is a new cartridge. Removing and re-seating the same cartridge does not help.

This increases the cost of the cartridges from $250 (3 cartridges @$83 ea.) a year to $747 (9 cartridges @ $83 ea.) a year!! That's 3 times the number of cartridges and expense than advertised. Way not good and very disappointing. What are your thoughts and experiences with the longevity of the FreshWater Salt cartridges?

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

Thank you for your feedback about your spa. I am sorry to hear that your salt cartridges do not last the average time frame. I would like to know more about that. I will DM you for more information. I appreciate the details and I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: April 17, 2020

We bought this spa new. It arrived without the electrical panel which was corrected by the dealer. It was then found that the installed heater hose was too short- it was completely kinked shut. An exterior panel cracked; a new one was shipped and I installed it. Water started pouring through the speakers shortly after the 2 year audio warranty expired. Now the spa plumbing leaks from under the tub. It is still under warranty but no one will even look at it! We have been trying for 5 months to get it repaired. And more panels cracked. This spa is only used by my wife and I. We are meticulous with maintenance and I only use the Caldera recommended chemicals. As a reference, my previous spa needed only one minor pump repair in 15 years of use. I should have kept it- I could not be more disappointed with the quality of this spa and the warranty support.

Greg,

I am sorry to hear that this has happened to your spa. I would like to see how I can help. If your spa is under warranty it should be able to be serviced by an authorized dealer. Knowing more about this issue will help. I will DM you for purchasing info.
    Thank you for reaching out and allowing me to work with you.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

Purchased the spa in October of last year. The maintenance is super easy with the salt water system and the operation cost is not noticeable in my electric bill. Find the tub to be relaxing and the jets have more than enough power to soothe my muscles. Would recommend this model to anyone looking!

Hello Kevin!

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and spa experience. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your spa.

Happy Hot Tubbing!

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

We purchased in October 2015 and no matter how many times we change the water, flush the pipes with cleaner the grease will not go away. We get out of the tub and have a thick sticky, oily sheen on our body. Now we cannot use it at all. Four years later and we keep trying and cleaning the tub, the pipes the filter... Filtration system is inadequate and should be able to cycle all day if needed, but doesn't. I don't recommend Caldera. $10K down the drain plus all the chemicals used trying to fix the problem...

Caldera Spas response
    Oh no! Caroline I am sorry that this has been your experience and that it's been going on for so long. I would like to help resolve this issue so you can confidently use your spa.
    I will DM you for more information about your purchase.
    Thank you for your post and time.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

When I initially purchased my Kauai tub they had to deliver and install three separate units until they finally found one that worked. Even that one has a problem that they couldn't fix and I've been stuck with it ever since... Every time I change water I'm forced to open the panel up and release air from the main hose in order to allow the jets to work.

Other than that 'inconvenience' the tub functions OK and, until now, I have had no further problems. Recently the tub controls locked up and I couldn't turn it off; flipping the breaker OFF then ON didn't work either. I called the store and asked for guidance and was told they needed to send a tech out to investigate/fix it. The Tech arrived about 10 days later, spent 10 minutes here and charged $176. The solution to my problem: hold certain buttons down for 3 SECONDS! ...a simple fix that could easily have been conveyed to me over the phone when I reported the problem. Disappointed.

Bill,

I am sorry to hear that your spa experience has not been a pleasant one. It sounds like your spa topside was locked. Customer Service is available to help walk our customers through service calls like that. If we are not able to assist we will direct you to your local dealer. The issues that you are concerned about are listed in the owner's manual to help the spa owner with spa operation. I hope that helps.

Caldera Spas Company Information