2. Homeowners
  3. Flooring

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.27/5

Armstrong Flooring Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2020

Nearly 5 years ago I had an Armstrong Alterna La Plata LVT floor installed in my kitchen by Carpet Fair in Springfield, PA. Since then I have seen many, many gouges and nicks appear in the flooring. The first gouge appeared under the table within 6 months of installation. Almost each tile has at least one nick or gouge in it. Some have more than one. I contacted Carpet Fair several times via email, sent photos and spoke to someone in the store and was told "they are working on it" and "these things don't move fast."

I contacted Armstrong directly twice. The second time I was told it had to be handled by the store where I bought it. The last time I heard from the store they offered to replace the floor with a similar product (which I would never want), but I had to pay half the installation - $500. I have already spent $4000 for the floor. I told them I didn't want to spend any more on the floor. That was months ago and I haven't heard anything since. No one had ever even asked to come out and see the floor. I just don't have the time to keep after the store and the company on a regular basis. I think they are all just waiting for the 5 year warranty to run out on me.

As you can imagine this has been very frustrating. I am so disappointed in this product. I had hoped it would have performed much better and lasted a long time. Only two people live in my house. We have no pets. And we both work full time. So there isn't much activity on the floor on a daily basis. If this is how the floor looks after 4 years what can I expect in 10 years? I only use Armstrong's Once & Done to clean the floor - which is very expensive and I don't think cleans very well. The floor always looks dirty especially with all the nicks and gouges. Don't buy this product! I would have done much better with hard tile - and the cost would not have been much different.

Original review: March 10, 2020

We ordered Armstrong vinyl flooring from a sample at the Flooring place we always use (no complaints with them). The sample looks like white marble with grey veining but it came with black veining. It looks like scuff marks all over it. Unfortunately I wasn't home when they laid it or I would have had them take it back. Now I can live with it, cover with a large rug or pull it up and start over with all new underlayment.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I bought Armstrong luxury vinyl plank tile (3'x6”) for my kitchen and dinette area. I’d had linoleum before but liked the look of the barn board design. I laid it myself, and it went down very nicely. It’s an easy DIY project and you save a bundle. Everything was great until one day my dogs got very excited about seeing who was at the door. They are big dogs ranging from 73# to 100#, and I keep their nails clipped. However, their spinning and jumping and other excited moves did not go well with the tile. It is a mass of scratches. Not sure what I can do about it. I’m not going to rip it up so I’ll just have to live with it, but if you have dogs, don’t bother with it. Get something more durable.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Bought some Armstrong laminate floor here a couple of years ago and almost immediately the floor started to deteriorate. They came out with an armstrong warranty person (suppose to be 50 year) and they declined the warranty because we were cleaning the floor with water (very small amount). This was at about two months in. Apparently you can only use a special dry floor cleaner. We have a pool and we had a small puppy who was peeing on the floor and I'm sorry but somehow I don't think a dry floor cleaner is going to clean up dog pee or poo.

We were torn between the vinyl and laminate because of the dog and the pool but were recommended by Speers Broadloom to buy this garbage (it wasn't cheap). A couple of years later and this floor looks like total junk. It cost several thousand and is probably the worst purchase I have ever made. Do yourself a favor and just throw your money in the garbage before buying an armstrong product. It will save you all the hassle of installing a new floor. We had a cheap laminate floor before for years and never had a problem with it, not even a mark. We just wanted something that looked nicer than that yellow orange flat floor. Big mistake. Wish I had of keep it.

Craig **

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We selected the Armstrong Ridged Core American Elm in peppercorn through our builder Ryan Homes. We took possession of our house at the end of October 2019 and now, just shy of three months, the floor is all scratched and dented. We’ve had two inspectors come out, one from Rite Rug and a “independent” contractor selected by the manufacture, but neither seemed surprised or concerned. Like other customer’s reviews, this flooring will scratch and/or dent with just the lightest of pressure! We cannot pull our chairs out from under the table without leaving a scratch. Heck, the floor inspector left a scratch when he was sliding his level around during the inspection!

My husband and I are so disgusted with this floor and by the fact that we paid so much for it. I would never recommend this flooring to anyone, and Armstrong should be ashamed for passing this junk off as high quality. Unfortunately this flooring is laid through our entire first floor (roughly 2000 sq ft), so we’re stuck with it for a while, but will replace it as soon as we can afford to do so.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armstrong Flooring?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Beware of the details from Armstrong, their distributor(s) and Alterna LVT in particular. We ordered Armstrong Alterna luxury vinyl tile, or LVT, through a well-respected local flooring store that we have worked with before and set up to have them install it. Unfortunately, within two days, we learned after doing more research that the product has bad reviews, reported problems with premature wearing/tearing and is, according to reviews, extremely hard to get clean and keep clean. We tried to cancel the order before it arrived, or have it returned and restocked (with a willing restocking payment from us. We offered to pay twice the $65 shipping fee), and were told that the distributor wouldn't accept the return of that product even with a restocking fee. (Basically they didn't want the product even if unopened and untouched.)

It was definitely our fault for changing our mind before installation. We understand that, although I wish our local store had told us specifically it was considered a “special order” by Armstrong and their distributor. My wife and I have learned since then that not all flooring companies and distributors have those kind of rules. Basically, there are some that stand behind their product and some that don't. Armstrong and Ohio Valley Distributors, in this instance, didn't want anything to do with something they were still selling on a day-to-day basis. The carpet store manager literally said, "They said they can't sell it." That sends a message. I won’t forget that message next time and am hoping to save others the frustration of paying for flooring you don’t want. Arm yourself with the details before even thinking about ordering from Armstrong and one of its distributors.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Worst flooring ever! The top layer of the flooring starting splitting within 1 year of the installation. Armstrong sent out a rep along with the flooring installer and it has been 9 months since I've heard anything. This is also a bad reflection on the flooring installer (Peterson's Flooring, Story City IA). I will never do business with them again and will never buy Armstrong again. My kitchen floor is a disaster and has to be replaced. We have our entire house being gutted and remodeled Summer 2020. There is over 4,000 SF of flooring that is part of this remodel. It will not be Armstrong nor Peterson's. If anyone has recommendations for a better product, we would appreciate them.

Original review: June 24, 2019

After completing weeks of research, we selected the Vivero Best Integrilock brand for our recently purchased house we were about to start remodeling. We ordered the product from a third party site, but the order came two weeks late. I had to hire several other seasoned flooring handymen to help with the installation due to the new time crunch. Installation went quick. However, the floor immediately showed that the butt ends were bulging up. This was not occurring just in a couple of spots, but in all parts of our 3000 sq ft home.

In addition, the lock part of the plank in several several butt ends easily cracked and now there are clear breaks in the floor. Being too busy with other remodel jobs in the house, I let this go in hopes that it would dissipate naturally as time progressed. A flooring friend of mine came over two months ago and was appalled at the appearance of the floor. This caused me to start the appeals process. I took numerous pictures, sent in unused flooring samples (which I paid for shipping) and submitted invoices for work. A month passed and a nice man from Armstrong came and inspected the floor. While not saying specifically that the flooring was defective, there were many undertones of that this had occurred. A week passed and I received a letter from Armstrong saying that they were denying my claim in its entirety.

I am not a contractor nor a person who tries to cheat the system for my benefit. I am a public school math teacher who is very handy and wants to make a nice home for his family. Armstrong advertised that Vivero Best is a top of the line product but failed to stand by their line when it failed. To say that the installation is the cause of the problem is beyond ludicrous. I followed every suggestion in the manual to a T. All I want is a finished product that I, and my family, is proud of. I just do not understand why Armstrong would fail to live up to their end of the customer/supplier relationship. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Please do not ever purchase Armstrong flooring. It has been just over a year since we had it installed and 22 panels warped and the customer service and salesman that we dealt with were horrible. The installer has been reasonable but he is a contractor for this product. They claim it is scratch resistant but that is false as well. Horrible product and horrible customer service. If there was an option to give less than 1 star i would.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Purchased new home and chose Brazilian Cherry Engineered Hardwood. After a few months, several boards started splitting. Builder's installer returned and replaced split boards, about 60. Months later issue returned, mostly in the master bedroom and a few in the family room. The flooring in the master was replaced entirely as well as the few in the family room. Six months later, same problem. Now Armstrong comes to inspect and claims that there wasn’t enough humidity in the home. Mind you, that we did have the humidifier on and we purchased it as an upgrade from builder and never heard that we needed a humidifier. Finally they agreed to replace the entire floor, about 1800 sq. feet, by this time the Brazilian Cherry Flooring was discontinued, so I chose the Jatoba, which was the closest in color. The new floor is 5/8 thick vs. 3/8 thick and has a 25 yr warranty vs. 15 yr warranty.

After a few months the floor was replaced, I had to move out and remove all my belongings. Not fun. Since the floor was glued down, it was very messy to remove and grind down the glue from the concrete slab. By the time the flooring was ordered, I found out that it too was discontinued, and insisted on having enough spare material for any future issues. After a few months, I started seeing a few split boards, after what I went through, I tried to ignore it, it’s now a little over 1 year, and I have about 65 split boards and a few cupping. I’m now working with the builder, installer and Armstrong. We have humidistat around the house and the levels are always between 35 and 50. Not sure what the next step is going to be.

Armstrong Flooring author review by Joseph Truini

Parent company Armstrong World Industries began operations in 1891 and is headquartered in Pennsylvania. Armstrong Flooring designs and makes flooring and ceilings products for worldwide distribution. The company manufacturers products for both the residential and commercial market.

• Products: Armstrong Flooring offers an impressive array of products, including solid hardwood, engineered hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl sheets and tiles and linoleum.

• Samples: Samples are available at participating retailers and can be ordered online for $5 each.

• Levels of retail partners: Armstrong Flooring showrooms across the United States display the widest variety of Armstrong products, but its flooring is also sold at preferred retailers and home-improvement centers.

• Installation: Some Armstrong retailers work with certified flooring contractors, and the Armstrong website provides self-help guides for do-it-yourself installers.

• Design a room: The "Design a Room" feature on the Armstrong website allows customers to upload photos and then select flooring, wall colors and more using a digital visualizer.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Armstrong Flooring Company Information