1.26/5
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a flooring company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

21 Armstrong Flooring Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I saved to have my flooring redone before I retired. Bought it because it was tough and could handle traffic. You have to live with your mop in hand because every footprint is smeared all over your floor. I am going to take it out. That’s how much I can’t stand it. Waste of good money hard earned.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

You should be ashamed of yourself. I work for one of your retailers, and I spent $3,000 on a flooring that I loved, taking up laminate that I had installed only two years ago that was perfect, because I loved the architectural remnants laminate. My husband is a flooring installer and he said that this was the worst floor he had ever installed. Sadly by the time we had installed it, we had already taken up our floor and no longer had it, so we installed it. We immediately had major issues. Half the locks were broken on the boards as we installed them, which we didn’t use, but as we walk on the floor, we can feel the locks breaking daily. Our boards slide apart every day. I have 1400 sf of this and it does it throughout my entire house.

I filed a claim and do you know what they said? My warranty isn’t valid because my underlayment isn’t an approved brand. That is BULL. I work at the retailer, it’s a great underlayment that we sell to anyone who needs laminate. Your inspector clearly saw the major issues and you said you won't stand by your product because of the freaking underlayment?! That is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I will tell everyone I know what terrible flooring Armstrong and Bruce are and that they try and screw you on technicalities that are not even listed on the flooring you purchase. They expect you to look it up on their website even though you don’t buy it from them. It’s seriously ridiculous. I ripped up perfectly good flooring for this garbage and I’m reminded of this terrible product every single day. Thanks for ALL your help!

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: May 11, 2018

Almost a year ago we installed Armstrong Alterna Luxury Vinyl tile 16x16 in black and white. We have a turn of the century victorian home and wanted the kitchen floor to reflect the time period of an old farmhouse. Whatever you do don't buy this product!!! Scuff marks appeared the first week under the table where the chairs are moved to sit down at the table even though pads were put under all the chair legs and table legs. The scuffs won't come up even though I tried the Armstrong product "one step". I do not hold the business nor the installer at fault just the product which is junk and won't last 3 years!!

To top it off who would make a black tile where the black does not go all the way through the product. I found this out when I dropped a can of soup on the floor and a big white chip appeared. I couldn't believe it!!! On closer inspection the black is only a very thin coating on top of a white tile. Now I have dings and chips that I cover with a black Marks-A-Lot pen. Armstrong ought to be ashamed to put their name on this junk. I'd call them but what's the use?? I read other complaints and no call back... Don't buy this inferior product JUNK!! Wish I had put down wood!!!

Original review: March 3, 2018

I had Armstrong Luxury Vinyl planks installed less than a year ago. Everyday, I wish I had carpet back! It is very difficult to keep it looking nice as it shows every footprint unless you are wearing socks. I literally have to clean the floor several times a day. I contacted the installer as well as Armstrong. Both have said the planks must have some sort of residue in them but where did it come from and why isn't daily cleaning getting rid of it. I've tried cleaner they recommended as well as plain water and diluted vinegar...but nothing so far has helped. I did research and found that others have this problem as well. Very frustrating!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I replaced my hardwood floors with Armstrong Residential/Commercial grade floors. After installing I noticed more scratches on this floor than the cheap wood flooring I replaced. This floor retails for $11/sq ft and I paid $6.70/sq ft without installation. They came and inspected the spaces between the boards and blamed it on installation. They took a whole box of leftover flooring and supposedly ran tests on it. What a waste of time, as expected, they said there was nothing wrong with the flooring. Stay away from any products they manufacture. This includes Bruce Floors as well. They don't stand behind the quality of their goods.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armstrong Flooring?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I purchased some 3/4" hardwood flooring model number SAMV5MC from Home Depot (Edwardsville IL location) back in December 2015 for our living room and kitchen. We loved the flooring and decided we would continue it in our hallway/office back on 29 May 17. After having the flooring installed in our office I began seeing small pin sized holes in our hardwood flooring. We called in an exterminator and it was determined they were caused from powderpost beetles. They are very very uncommon in this area and they were only found in our flooring. The exterminator determined there must have been eggs in the flooring when it was installed and as they hatch and turn to larva which bore out the floor causing these holes, the adults then lay eggs on other unfinished wooded areas. He provided a wood destroying insect report.

I first called Home Depot to file a claim and they said I would need to file a claim with Armstrong. 28 Sept 17 is when I first started my claim with Armstrong flooring. They requested the WDI report from the exterminator, photos of the holes and receipts for my purchases. All of which were provided. They came back and said that these were old holes that must have been in the flooring when we had it put in and that their process includes sending the flooring through a kiln that would have killed anything inside. I know that is not the case because the holes were not there when we were installing it! I personally carried the boards into the house and would not have installed the boards if they had as many holes as they do! 2 boards in particular have TONS of holes in it (One board has about 25 holes and the other about 45 holes)!

You can clearly see the unfinished wood in these holes and everyday more and more holes are showing up in our flooring! I requested they look at my photos again because you can clearly see the holes are not old holes and that there is not finish in the holes. Once again Armstrong tried telling me that the holes are old holes. I requested Armstrong send someone to inspect the home because if they were all old holes then I wouldn't continue to see new holes everyday; my request was denied. I asked to be directed to a supervisor and my request was denied. This typically wouldn't be such a big deal, but the treatment for powderpost beetles is horribly expensive!

You can only treat unfinished wood so our options are A: replace the flooring and treat the subfloors, B: sand down the flooring, treat and refinish the floors or C: have a tent set up over our house and pay for fumigation (our quoted price for fumigation was starting at $5000!). I have spent roughly $3,000 just on this flooring (not including paying someone to install it and and the staples required for installation!) and now will have to pay to have it removed within 2 years of having it installed! For the amount of money we have wasted on this company their customer service they have shown was AWFUL and I would NEVER recommend purchasing any products from them to anyone!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

We purchased approximately $21,000 worth of Armstrong engineered wood to be fitted in our new home. The quality of the product was extremely poor. There were 137 boxes supplied and every single box had pieces in it that could not be used. The problems included the following: The dyeing process was corrupted such that the wood's appearance was not at all like correctly dyed wood. Random very dark marks appeared in the wood - this was a process problem as dark marks were not a feature of the wood selected. Occasionally the dark marks coincided in a depression in the wood (note this was a smooth surface wood, not scraped finish). Edges of the wood were frequently splintered (as would happen if the saw blade was blunt) making it impossible to get a clean joint. The locking strips were frequently missing sections of wood and were splintered, making it quite difficult to ensure a tight lock when laying the wood.

Delamination was occurring between the layers of backing wood. Complete chunks of backing wood were missing, up to two thirds of the plank area in size. The backing wood contained huge knots which had at some point fallen out, leaving large areas with no wood to support the upper layers. Note we have previously laid an Armstrong floor from exactly the same Premium Plus range, and none of the above problems were apparent, so we conclude that we received our delivery from a different factory or some such reason for creating such a difference in quality.

Even so, if we had had a quick and reasonable response to our complaint from Armstrong, we would have been somewhat satisfied. But NOTHING from Armstrong, 2 months now and absolutely nothing, not even acknowledgment of our situation. The quality and service espoused on Armstrong's website is a complete lie. Do not purchase Armstrong Flooring, you could end up being very disappointed. We have a brand new $1 million home with 3000 square feet of rock bottom quality staring us in the face every day for the rest of our lives.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This complaint is a bit late in writing. In Oct. '13, I purchased the Armstrong Better X2500 floor from the salesperson I was purchasing a walk in tub for my bathroom. The floor is white with a pattern through it. I started noticing a slight orange - almost like a smear in one area. I contacted Armstrong, & talked with a rep by name of Joshua **. I sent pictures by email to him.

First explanation was it looked like the orange was part of the pattern. Wanted me to buy their new Beginning stripper & scrub to see if it would come up. I explained I washed the floor with either steamed water or vinegar/water. There was nothing to strip off & I was only person using the bathroom. I bought the stripper & it did not take the stain off. Their "team" then decided I spilled something (no) or an improper adhesive was used. I contacted installer & he said they used the adhesive recommended for the flooring. Then Mr ** decided I had a leak underneath. I purchased 2 of the alarms, they were on floor for 4 days, and neither went off because there wasn't any leak. Neither person will help me with replacing the floor.

At this date my floor 4 rugs covering the unsightly smears. It looks terrible & I'm going to have to replace it I know but I'm 81 yrs old & the thought of putting out that money makes me sick. Armstrong sent out one of their reps who took pictures which solved nothing. The floor is awful & Armstrong should be ashamed of themselves. It would not have been a lot of money for them to replace a bathroom floor just for goodwill. The fact that they are blaming this on something I did instead of admitting the flooring is defective, makes me sick.

Original review: June 29, 2017

We purchased this flooring Antique Linen 8mm Laminate Floor from Home Depot. When we picked it up the packaging was in excellent shape. We opened the flooring to start installing. One 4th of the way thru installation, we started noticing the click part of the panels were flaking and chipping away. The flooring is very poorly made. Seeing as we had already started installing, we picked and pieced together enough fairly good planks. Would not recommend this flooring to anyone.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I purchased Armstrong white vinyl tiles. Within 1 week I noticed pitting in 19 tiles. Armstrong sent a photographer who said I'd hear from manufacturer in 2 weeks. I didn't. Contacted them again & they requested I send them some tiles to test. I did. They said, "Nothing wrong with the tiles" and offered no remedy. Now several months later, I have 30 more pitted tiles. I will never buy Armstrong products again.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Several months ago we had Lake Hamilton Flooring of Lake Hamilton Florida install a vinyl floor in our kitchen. About six weeks later, we noticed that there was a dark area which coincided with the traffic pattern in the kitchen. We contacted the installer who eventually came out and took photos which were forwarded to Armstrong. At about the same time, I contacted Armstrong and spoke to a young lady who gave me a claim number and to whom I sent photos attached to an email. In the six weeks that followed, we have not had the courtesy of a phone call or any contact initiated by either the installer or Armstrong. Today, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Central Florida in the hope that they may be able to get something accomplished.

Original review: March 27, 2017

I spend more than $6.000 for Armstrong Premium Collection Forestwood Ash laminate flooring and the same brand t-moldings, and I was completely shocked about all this product quality. I did install before many different brand laminate flooring, even twice cheaper flooring was 10 times better quality. Base material extremely cheap and small pieces always apart during installation and to prevent problems you have to vacuum it after every piece installed.

This JUNK was made without enough amount of compound, not all planks the same size, t-moldings are the same quality plus top vinyl even not glued to the base and that why almost impossible to cut it without damaging edge. We always think that if higher price is better quality - not with Armstrong product. Moreover - looks like factory designer DON'T care about customers and ONLY think about pushing and advertising their LOWEST quality product - sticker with ARMSTRONG brand very serious GLUED to the t-molding's face side, so you must waste 10-15 minutes for each one to gently remove it. NEVER AGAIN!!! DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK - save you money, time and good mood!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

We absolutely love our Armstrong Luxe Plank flooring. Two years ago, our local flooring company did a beautiful job installing this product. First they removed the old flooring, laid a subfloor, leveled the floor with a leveling compound in areas where needed. The installer had 30 years of flooring experience but this was his first time working with the Luxe Plank. I came home to a beautiful living room, hallway and bathroom. Looks like real hardwood. Once a week I dust and clean (sometimes every two weeks) and these floors look like the day he installed them. I couldn't be happier. Care tip: Leave your shoes (and dirt) on a rug by your front door so you don't continually drag in dirt, debris and who knows what else. Your home will thank you.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

I followed the instructions given to me by Michael's Flooring to care for my vinyl floor. I used Armstrong products, furniture protectors, cleaned it with a dust mop and never used rugs on the floor. Less than a year after professional installation, I got an orange stain which became worse. I called the flooring company and the Armstrong company and they did not know how to solve the problem. The Armstrong company was rude and willing only to argue. A representative was going to come to the house and never showed.

I do not know what Armstrong is trying to make, but it is not flooring. I am afraid to use it and put furniture on it because is was so easily damaged. Other reviews say it is a waste of money. I could have easily paid for a tile floor installed. Their warranty is worthless, and I was not warned for easily it can stain. You have to have a empty kitchen and not walk on it to keep the floor looking nice. Armstrong flooring company will be reported to the Missouri Attorney General's Office on Monday. Warnings should be made in writing about the quality of the product.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

We have had our flooring for about 8 years and I absolutely have hated from day one. This was the 25 year warranty flooring. Yea, right. Who would want this for a day? It shows every footprint, every shoe print, everything you could imagine. Unfortunately, we had a $300.00 laminate floor on discontinued discount for 9 months prior to getting this crap, but a little water damage happened and here we are. What was great years ago, is no longer. Companies make a name for themselves and go cheap. We pay for it! I would run away from Armstrong flooring of any kind. I so wish I had my cheap flooring back! It didn't show any prints of any kind and was so beautiful. I absolutely hate this floor, which cost the insurance company $3000.00. UNREAL! I feel like they were taken for a ride. Maybe insurance companies need to refuse replacement floors from Armstrong?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

We ARMSTRONG sheet vinyl installed, the best they have. After only 12 months our floor looks like complete garbage! The fading is so bad our once brown floor is now almost white - after only 12 months. Rebecca ** - customer service rep - told me she was going to make sure this was addressed. She went on vacation and never emailed me again! She TOTALLY blew us off!

I then got a hold of a lead Customer Service rep - Kerrianne ** - what a waste of air she turned out to be! She offered to send a rep - ooopsie! Then the rep is out sick. Can't have any other rep come out - NOPE! Can't wait until the rep is back to work? NOPE! So Armstrong wants to dump a roll of vinyl in our driveway and call it good. Leaving it up to us to pay for: removal of ** old Armstrong flooring; stay in a hotel for two days while this takes place; installation of new vinyl

And good old Armstrong? Well, they're going to dump some more substandard ** in our driveway and call it good! Well ** Armstrong! I'd rather spend my time and money exposing these ** frauds! I've sent them pictures where the installed flooring is almost white while a piece cut from the same roll and kept in our garage for 12 months is beside it - nice and rich looking, dark brown and grey. And they STILL want to dick around with us! They are nothing but ** LIARS and THIEVES!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I purchased a total of $5,000 worth of these vinyl Luxe planks including installation. I selected the highest quality level of the product. It was installed by the professional company I purchased the materials through. After 2 months, the floor had lost all shine. It is not yet one year old and the scratches are everywhere. I use only Armstrong products to clean it. When I called customer service, that was all they could suggest, more Armstrong products. I DO NOT recommend this vinyl product. I should've saved the money and gotten a real hardwood floor. I purchased this product as it met my specs for lower off-gassing of chemicals. HUGE mistake. It may not be killing me from the chemicals, but it looks like crap. Lesson learned.

Original review: May 18, 2016

Armstrong replaced the Alterna after about a year - it took them to do anything said this would take care of the problem - well guess what same old stuff & they say we just need to keep changing tile out as needed. Who wants that kind of floor? Not me. Plus all the dust & mess & I bought this thru Efloors.Com & then they have to deal with Armstrong which never replies. I recommend no one use Alterna vinyl flooring by Armstrong. I would like to have my money & labor bill so I could get a good floor put down that you can walk on without being afraid of walking on & we don't even wear our shoes in the home. We have been dealing with this for 2 years.

Original review: March 25, 2015

I'd bought Robbins flooring several years ago via Lowe's - Robbins was evidently subsumed at some point by Armstrong and the Customer Service people told me that the corresponding product has been changed, effectively meaning that what I needed could no longer be gotten. I decided to order their slightly modified product anyway. Armstrong will no longer sell flooring via Lowe's, which made this very difficult. As Armstrong's customer services advised, I went to a smaller local flooring dealer who had never heard of the Metro Classics line by Armstrong and could not help.

Customer services (which is impossible to get via phone and who doesn't answer half of their emails) then provided some names of smaller flooring companies in a 60 mile radius (including the one I'd already tried who did not want to try to order it) who they said sold the flooring. Literally NONE of them said they could get this simple line from Armstrong (and, of course, it cannot be ordered DIRECTLY from Armstrong).

A year later I found a company online called Unbeatable Flooring who said they could order it and get it here within 3 weeks. I spoke with them about the fact that I would need to be given information ahead of time about when the delivery was arriving - not everyone has the luxury of hanging around the house for weeks on end waiting for delivery people - and I paid them for shipping and residential delivery - this took many phone calls and emails to arrange and although Unbeatable Flooring told me I'd be getting tracking information, I was given wrong information and run all over the place trying to find out what was going on with the shipping.

After MORE hours of struggling with this over the last few days and being told that the flooring was on a truck to be delivered today, I arranged to take time off work to be here - it was to arrive between 1 pm and 5 pm. I don't have the kind of money or the kind of job that permits taking time off for these "maybe" deliveries and the company will not deliver without a signature.

The shipping company (R+L Carriers, who I have had trouble with before, but who was arranged by Unbeatable via a "Logistics Company for the East Coast" called J.J. Haines & Co. Inc.) was unable to get through to the driver for hours today to make sure my flooring was actually going to arrive, as they assured me it would. I called again at 5 pm and waited 10 minutes to be shuffled around the offices to the right person, who assured me I was "next on the list." Now 6 pm has come and gone, and I'm unable to keep my evening obligation in case it shows up - the shipment requires a signature.

Original review: April 6, 2007

Bought Bruce Armstrong hardwood, 400 sq. ft. (CB130 Solid Oak Bruce D5K22-2) as the best quality hardwood floor as per their price and advertisements. Warranty -- 20 years. Three months after installation (professional installer registered at Armstrong dealersip) about 30% of all planks cracked or developed chips.

Contacted Bruce. Was referred to their dealer who inspected the floor, recognized hardwood planks' defects, supplied two boxes of planks, and those were installed instead of defected ones. All was done through Armstrong and paid by Armstrong.

Month ago noted that another dozen of planks cracked and developed chips. Contacted installer. He said, "It is wood defects." I need to contact Armstrong again.

At contact on April 3, 2007 Armstrong representative supervisor said it is not their defects, they do not know anything about wood defects, and are not responsible. Complete lie -- they sent boxes four months after original installation. Still have both -- original and new boxes' cartons. They sent inspection. They recognized hardwood defects. Bruce is not so good as their advertisements. They are not support warranty and their product is defective and low quality.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2005

Armstrong Flooring will not honor manufacturer warranty on a defective laminate flooring product. Said product was actually discontinued due to known defects. A local Carpet One franchise was hired to install an Armstrong laminate hardwood floor in 2001. The floor was designed to be installed by sliding planks into place in a tongue-in-groove fashion and gluing together (different from the current locking laminate products). After one week of product "acclimation" and then installation, there were problems. In a small number of places, some seams began to rise, creating small ridges where the floor pieces joined. In other areas, some adjacent to the peaks, the planks separated by up to 1/8". In three places, planks did not properly fit at corners, resulting in sharp points.

Honoring product and installation warranties, within 6 months of the installation Carpet One sent an installer to repair the floor three times. For every correction made, however, a new issue presented another area. The result was less than perfect, but still for the better. I wrote the floor off as being a little higher maintenance than planned.

This year, I hired the same franchise to install more flooring, including Armstrong vinyl. The installer, who was a certified by Armstrong for laminate installation, immediately recognized the floor as a glue-together product that was defective. The installer alerted a Carpet One sales rep, and the company sent a sales representative to look at my floor. The floor was defective and needed repair or replacement, in his opinion as well.

A claim was filed with Armstrong via Carpet One in October, and Armstrong sent one of their distributor reps to my house to examine the problems. She immediately decided that each of my problems "must" be related to bad installation or uneven subfloor, without thorough investigation other than a moisture reading. Armstrong denied the claim per the rep's claims of moisture and uneven subflooring. 1) Moisture: Armstrong determined the flooring contained some excess moisture. This is a climate controlled, humidity-controlled home built on a crawlspace in which the ground is covered in plastic and lime.

The floor was found to contain some excess moisture, but the areas she tested were not even the defective areas, moisture causes expansion and not separation, and she based her findings on current product standards (the current products are moisture resistant on all sides and not held together by liquid glue -- of course they will retain less moisture). Also, between my subfloor and laminate floor lies Armstrong's own moisture barrier underlayment... So if moisture is coming up from under the house, they provided defective underlayment. 2) Uneven subflooring: My home has some uneven subflooring, but actually not in the areas in which the defects are occurring. No mention in the claim denial was made of plank separation... and neither moisture nor uneven subflooring can possibly be accountable for that issue.

Additionally, I continuously had to remind Armstrong's distributor rep while inspecting my floor that my floor was a glue-together installation, not interlocking. Even at the end of her "assessment" she claimed separation would be "due to bad installation since the pieces are made to lock together"... She had absolutely no idea the glue-together flooring was not designed to interlock! Armstrong and Carpet One have both acknowledged known problems with Armstrong glue-together laminate flooring significant enough for them to discontinue them shortly after my purchase, and the interlocking products are designed so problems such as mine do not occur.

It's not my fault I purchased a floor that had been poorly engineered/designed at the time of purchase. Factory warranty on the floor is 20 years. To date, they refuse to even repair even a few of the most apparent defects. Armstrong advised on 12/14/05 installer confirmed that problem is not manufacturer's defect. I have confirmed this statement is not truthful. Installer believes sales representative who inspected the floor was not knowledgeable of the product and biased toward Armstrong's interests because she is affiliated with Armstrong.

Armstrong Flooring expert review by Joseph Truini

Parent company Armstrong World Industries began operations in 1891 and is headquartered in Pennsylvania. Armstrong Flooring designs and makes flooring and ceilings products for worldwide distribution. The company manufacturers products for both the residential and commercial market.

• Products: Armstrong Flooring offers an impressive array of products, including solid hardwood, engineered hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl sheets and tiles and linoleum.

• Samples: Samples are available at participating retailers and can be ordered online for $5 each.

• Levels of retail partners: Armstrong Flooring showrooms across the United States display the widest variety of Armstrong products, but its flooring is also sold at preferred retailers and home-improvement centers.

• Installation: Some Armstrong retailers work with certified flooring contractors, and the Armstrong website provides self-help guides for do-it-yourself installers.

• Design a room: The "Design a Room" feature on the Armstrong website allows customers to upload photos and then select flooring, wall colors and more using a digital visualizer.

• Best for: Luxury shoppers can choose from many high-end materials at Armstrong Flooring.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Armstrong Flooring Company Information