1.30/5

Looking for a flooring company?

Armstrong Flooring

Looking for a flooring company?

32 Armstrong Flooring Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 24, 2019

After completing weeks of research, we selected the Vivero Best Integrilock brand for our recently purchased house we were about to start remodeling. We ordered the product from a third party site, but the order came two weeks late. I had to hire several other seasoned flooring handymen to help with the installation due to the new time crunch. Installation went quick. However, the floor immediately showed that the butt ends were bulging up. This was not occurring just in a couple of spots, but in all parts of our 3000 sq ft home.

In addition, the lock part of the plank in several several butt ends easily cracked and now there are clear breaks in the floor. Being too busy with other remodel jobs in the house, I let this go in hopes that it would dissipate naturally as time progressed. A flooring friend of mine came over two months ago and was appalled at the appearance of the floor. This caused me to start the appeals process. I took numerous pictures, sent in unused flooring samples (which I paid for shipping) and submitted invoices for work. A month passed and a nice man from Armstrong came and inspected the floor. While not saying specifically that the flooring was defective, there were many undertones of that this had occurred. A week passed and I received a letter from Armstrong saying that they were denying my claim in its entirety.

I am not a contractor nor a person who tries to cheat the system for my benefit. I am a public school math teacher who is very handy and wants to make a nice home for his family. Armstrong advertised that Vivero Best is a top of the line product but failed to stand by their line when it failed. To say that the installation is the cause of the problem is beyond ludicrous. I followed every suggestion in the manual to a T. All I want is a finished product that I, and my family, is proud of. I just do not understand why Armstrong would fail to live up to their end of the customer/supplier relationship. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Please do not ever purchase Armstrong flooring. It has been just over a year since we had it installed and 22 panels warped and the customer service and salesman that we dealt with were horrible. The installer has been reasonable but he is a contractor for this product. They claim it is scratch resistant but that is false as well. Horrible product and horrible customer service. If there was an option to give less than 1 star i would.

Get expert buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Purchased new home and chose Brazilian Cherry Engineered Hardwood. After a few months, several boards started splitting. Builder's installer returned and replaced split boards, about 60. Months later issue returned, mostly in the master bedroom and a few in the family room. The flooring in the master was replaced entirely as well as the few in the family room. Six months later, same problem. Now Armstrong comes to inspect and claims that there wasn’t enough humidity in the home. Mind you, that we did have the humidifier on and we purchased it as an upgrade from builder and never heard that we needed a humidifier. Finally they agreed to replace the entire floor, about 1800 sq. feet, by this time the Brazilian Cherry Flooring was discontinued, so I chose the Jatoba, which was the closest in color. The new floor is 5/8 thick vs. 3/8 thick and has a 25 yr warranty vs. 15 yr warranty.

After a few months the floor was replaced, I had to move out and remove all my belongings. Not fun. Since the floor was glued down, it was very messy to remove and grind down the glue from the concrete slab. By the time the flooring was ordered, I found out that it too was discontinued, and insisted on having enough spare material for any future issues. After a few months, I started seeing a few split boards, after what I went through, I tried to ignore it, it’s now a little over 1 year, and I have about 65 split boards and a few cupping. I’m now working with the builder, installer and Armstrong. We have humidistat around the house and the levels are always between 35 and 50. Not sure what the next step is going to be.

Original review: March 11, 2019

We spent almost $4,000 for installation of this Armstrong flooring in our kitchen. It yellowed terribly after just 3-4 years. Looks dirty all the time. Suppose to have lifetime guarantee, but that is just to replace it will the same bad product. We had to tear it out and put in hardwood for another $4,000. Wish I never installed this product.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I would give zero stars if possible. My wife and I spent $9,000 on just under 800 sq ft of Armstrong Alterna flooring. The floor immediately looked dirty right after installation. The floor has marks all over that don't come off with cleaning. An Armstrong representative even came out to look at the floor. He admitted that it looks bad and stated that “the appearance of your floor is not consistent with the quality that Armstrong Flooring expects."

Armstrong states that the floor is covered with a film. The only cleaner that was used on the floor was Armstrong's Once and Done. Even with Armstrong's admittance of a bad quality floor, they refuse to do anything to resolve the issue. Please don't make the same mistake my wife and I did. Please do not purchase any flooring from Armstrong as they do not stand by the quality of their product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armstrong Flooring?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I researched flooring. I went to 3 different stores. They all said they thought this floor would be the best for me and my lifestyle. I told them I have 2 dogs and 2 kids and husband. I complained about the floor that I had at that time would get footprints on it and I didn't want that to happen anymore. I also didn't want the floors to scratch from the dogs. All 3 stores said this is the hardest floor you can buy. So I bought.and I am so sorry I did.

I was having my kitchen redone. The people who did my kitchen installed the floor. Those installers from the very beginning were saying that it wasn't very good flooring. So I'm thinking well how can that be true. So they installed it anyway. There were many boards that they couldn't use. That's what I thought they meant by it not being very good flooring.

In the 1st 3 months, the dog scratched it really bad and the tread for the top step nose cracked. Well thank God for the kitchen guys. They actually came back and fixed the cracked inch thick piece of wood. I had just enough left over to fix it. It's also good that I'm the type to save scrap wood because a new one is $65. I complained to Armstrong before this and they said that it was the installers fault and if I have any other problems to direct it towards the retailer. Well what is he going to do about all the scratches, the foot smudges and cracks in the actual wood. The retailers just says there's nothing they can do. They aren't liable.

I am disgusted by Armstrong's customer service. I thought I was picking a good company because Armstrong has been around for so long. I don't understand how they stay in business and how the retailers recommend this product. You would think because I have dogs of course the floors are going to scratch. Not just something stuck to the bottom of the silicone things you put on the feet of the chairs scratch the floors. These scratches are also grayish in color. The floors are a dark brown. The color doesn't go through the wood at all not even the top layer. I have never seen floors react to scratches like this. Also when I mop away all the smudges, the haze that forms is crazy. I even tried changing the pads on the mop 3xs while mopping. That doesn't matter because it starts happening right from the beginning after it dries. This floor never looks good even after mopping. It's disgusting. Don't waste your money!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I bought this flooring when we remodeled our kitchen 7 years ago after doing a lot of research trying to find a product that would last. After spending a lot of money on this floor including professional installation, it started showing defects within the first year that just keep getting worse. This is despite using Armstrong’s own cleaner that was recommended and putting pads under all of the furniture. If anything drops on the floor we get a gouge and under my table looks horrible. I’m going to have to replace it. There goes more money.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We had Alterna installed in our home 5 years ago. Still looks like new. Doesn't have the cold feel like actual ceramic flooring. I saw this tile in my sister's home and decided I had to have it. We had it installed with grout and looks just like actual ceramic tile. Very durable, easy to clean, and can handle lots of foot traffic with no wear.

Saw a review somewhere about it being rough to walk on with bare feet. I totally disagree with that statement. It does have texture, but it isn't rough to walk on, and the texture adds to overall 3 dimensional look. We are presently doing a complete renovation of both our bathrooms and wouldn't consider any other type of flooring. Armstrong has been a trusted name for many years. Highly recommended and Made in USA.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I am going to start by saying up until I had Armstrong engineered hardwood installed in my home, I had a high-sheen hardwood floor for 9 years. We loved that hardwood and it was beautiful, shiny, rarely scratched or dented, and held up to everyday life. After being so happy with a shiny hardwood floor, we went with one in a beautiful color. We built with a builder, so selection was somewhat limited, but I was pleased with the swatch in the showroom. We have lived here 3 months with the red oak engineered hardwood (we were told by the sales rep (Touch of Color Flooring out of Pittsburgh, PA, not Armstrong) that this was the hardest engineered hardwood we could get). I am telling you, you cannot even barely drop a small wooden spoon while washing dishes without a new dent or scratch. The builders put dents in the floor even with thick cardboard down while finishing the house.

Additionally, you cannot walk on it without multiple smudges showing up on the floor. I know it is high sheen, so was my old floor. This is not a high sheen problem, this is a product problem. Between my builder, the distributor, and Armstrong; I am getting nowhere. They are all quick to defend this terrible product and tell me it is because I am mopping with a slightly damp mop? I was using Bona wood floor cleaner. I have always mopped without any issue. Actually, the Armstrong customer service lady told me to mop with THEIR hardwood floor cleaner and a soft mop. So let me get this straight: mop with a wet cleaner and a mop, but not a slightly damp mop? WHAT? If you are replacing your floor or building a house GO WITH ANYONE ELSE. ANYONE!!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

For two years I searched for a flooring tile for my large 15 x 30 kitchen and finally saw the color and style I was looking for. I bought the Armstrong 18x18 tiles. When going to the website on installation and care for the floor I thought I could trust this company and its product. Well...the installation was a nightmare, and when moving furniture back in place after the installation with a towel under any rollers or furniture, it scratched and made large abrasions all over the floor. Not even in for one day and my floor looks like it's been on our for floors for years!!! HORRIBLE... I could just cry! All that money and time down the drain. The Armstrong company should be thrown in the clinker and the key tossed!!! If I could give this product a 0 I would! I also have cats and they have scratched it all over the place. I can't afford to remove it, or I would. I will though be saving my money again, and buying a whole new entire floor. Crooks!!!

Armstrong Flooring expert review by Joseph Truini

Parent company Armstrong World Industries began operations in 1891 and is headquartered in Pennsylvania. Armstrong Flooring designs and makes flooring and ceilings products for worldwide distribution. The company manufacturers products for both the residential and commercial market.

• Products: Armstrong Flooring offers an impressive array of products, including solid hardwood, engineered hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl sheets and tiles and linoleum.

• Samples: Samples are available at participating retailers and can be ordered online for $5 each.

• Levels of retail partners: Armstrong Flooring showrooms across the United States display the widest variety of Armstrong products, but its flooring is also sold at preferred retailers and home-improvement centers.

• Installation: Some Armstrong retailers work with certified flooring contractors, and the Armstrong website provides self-help guides for do-it-yourself installers.

• Design a room: The "Design a Room" feature on the Armstrong website allows customers to upload photos and then select flooring, wall colors and more using a digital visualizer.

• Best for: Luxury shoppers can choose from many high-end materials at Armstrong Flooring.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
      Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Armstrong Flooring Company Information