3.9/5 (127 ratings)
Find a Flooring partner

Find Flooring partners near you

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Armstrong Flooring

Find Flooring partners near you

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Armstrong Flooring Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armstrong Flooring?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armstrong Flooring?

Original review: April 13, 2022

Unfortunately, we had a very bad experience with McSwain flooring and will never have them or an Armstrong floor in our house again. Be forewarned, neither company will stand behind their flooring and the "lifetime warranty" they sell you is meaningless. We purchased an Armstrong vinyl plank floor (A6899 Luxe Plank) from them for our kitchen. It was supposed to be their top-of-the-line floor and was sold with a lifetime warranty.

We recently started a remodel of the kitchen with plans to keep the flooring in place. However, during construction, our contractor noticed that the vinyl planks were separating at the joints. We called McSwain, who in turn sent someone to the house (Paul I believe) and he was extremely rude and condescending. He basically said our issue was "an environmental" issue and they would not honor the warranty claim.

With this news we opened a claim with Armstrong in the hopes that they would stand behind their product. Fast forward 5 months later and today they rejected the claim stating, "issue you are having with your flooring is not a warranted issue". No other information provided. Our kitchen is no different from any other kitchen, so their excuse of it being an "environmental" issue does not hold water. Especially given that they can't/won't explain what that even means. Steer clear of both McSwain's and Armstrong!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

Bought Armstrong Alterna flooring and after install noticed nicks in floor. Got the armstong rep out and asked to have replaced. By the time we got a response we had gone south and said we could replace in the spring. Lined up installer to replace took one of the extra tiles out and the colour was so noticeably different so we could not change. There were 6 tiles by now that had in nicks.. We have no pets, never wear shoes on floor yet many tiles were marked and a big difference in colour.

The supplier said, "I will give you the armstong cleaner to get colour back." It helped but still not the same. Took 7 hours to try and clean. That was two of us. Asked armstong rep to come back. He would not. Just asked for another tile to test. What a joke. The supplier where I bought the floor did give us all our money back except for installation costs. Very happy with the supplier but armstrong knows they have a bad product and will not do anything about it. We now have a terrible floor and will need to replace. The floor is only 2 years old now. Absolutely ridiculous.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

I have worked in the building industry for over 30 years for a large retail/contractor lumber company. My position is working with builders on large scale building projects. When it became time to replace my kitchen tile the head of our flooring department recommended Armstrong Alterna vinyl tiles. The floor looked amazing for approximately two weeks then the nightmare began scratches showing up on entire floor. We don’t have pets or small children not that that should matter after all it’s a floor! I tell anyone who is looking for a new floor do not even consider this product it should be taken off the market.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I was told from the flooring company this was the best product when it comes to scratches, dents, and water. We've had the floor for 3 years now and I've hated it since the day it was installed. It's the exact opposite of what the installer stated - it has tons of scratches and dents. I dropped a fork on the floor and it dented! Once you get a dent it's impossible to clean out the dirt that gets in it. It also picks up every single foot track regardless of whether you are wearing shoes or not.

I'm so disappointed in myself for purchasing this product. I clearly did not do my homework and should have made more of an effort to read the bad reviews. DO not buy this product.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Nearly 5 years ago I had an Armstrong Alterna La Plata LVT floor installed in my kitchen by Carpet Fair in Springfield, PA. Since then I have seen many, many gouges and nicks appear in the flooring. The first gouge appeared under the table within 6 months of installation. Almost each tile has at least one nick or gouge in it. Some have more than one. I contacted Carpet Fair several times via email, sent photos and spoke to someone in the store and was told "they are working on it" and "these things don't move fast."

I contacted Armstrong directly twice. The second time I was told it had to be handled by the store where I bought it. The last time I heard from the store they offered to replace the floor with a similar product (which I would never want), but I had to pay half the installation - $500. I have already spent $4000 for the floor. I told them I didn't want to spend any more on the floor. That was months ago and I haven't heard anything since. No one had ever even asked to come out and see the floor. I just don't have the time to keep after the store and the company on a regular basis. I think they are all just waiting for the 5 year warranty to run out on me.

As you can imagine this has been very frustrating. I am so disappointed in this product. I had hoped it would have performed much better and lasted a long time. Only two people live in my house. We have no pets. And we both work full time. So there isn't much activity on the floor on a daily basis. If this is how the floor looks after 4 years what can I expect in 10 years? I only use Armstrong's Once & Done to clean the floor - which is very expensive and I don't think cleans very well. The floor always looks dirty especially with all the nicks and gouges. Don't buy this product! I would have done much better with hard tile - and the cost would not have been much different.

Original review: March 10, 2020

We ordered Armstrong vinyl flooring from a sample at the Flooring place we always use (no complaints with them). The sample looks like white marble with grey veining but it came with black veining. It looks like scuff marks all over it. Unfortunately I wasn't home when they laid it or I would have had them take it back. Now I can live with it, cover with a large rug or pull it up and start over with all new underlayment.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I bought Armstrong luxury vinyl plank tile (3'x6”) for my kitchen and dinette area. I’d had linoleum before but liked the look of the barn board design. I laid it myself, and it went down very nicely. It’s an easy DIY project and you save a bundle. Everything was great until one day my dogs got very excited about seeing who was at the door. They are big dogs ranging from 73# to 100#, and I keep their nails clipped. However, their spinning and jumping and other excited moves did not go well with the tile. It is a mass of scratches. Not sure what I can do about it. I’m not going to rip it up so I’ll just have to live with it, but if you have dogs, don’t bother with it. Get something more durable.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Bought some Armstrong laminate floor here a couple of years ago and almost immediately the floor started to deteriorate. They came out with an armstrong warranty person (suppose to be 50 year) and they declined the warranty because we were cleaning the floor with water (very small amount). This was at about two months in. Apparently you can only use a special dry floor cleaner. We have a pool and we had a small puppy who was peeing on the floor and I'm sorry but somehow I don't think a dry floor cleaner is going to clean up dog pee or poo.

We were torn between the vinyl and laminate because of the dog and the pool but were recommended by Speers Broadloom to buy this garbage (it wasn't cheap). A couple of years later and this floor looks like total junk. It cost several thousand and is probably the worst purchase I have ever made. Do yourself a favor and just throw your money in the garbage before buying an armstrong product. It will save you all the hassle of installing a new floor. We had a cheap laminate floor before for years and never had a problem with it, not even a mark. We just wanted something that looked nicer than that yellow orange flat floor. Big mistake. Wish I had of keep it.

Craig **

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We selected the Armstrong Ridged Core American Elm in peppercorn through our builder Ryan Homes. We took possession of our house at the end of October 2019 and now, just shy of three months, the floor is all scratched and dented. We’ve had two inspectors come out, one from Rite Rug and a “independent” contractor selected by the manufacture, but neither seemed surprised or concerned. Like other customer’s reviews, this flooring will scratch and/or dent with just the lightest of pressure! We cannot pull our chairs out from under the table without leaving a scratch. Heck, the floor inspector left a scratch when he was sliding his level around during the inspection!

My husband and I are so disgusted with this floor and by the fact that we paid so much for it. I would never recommend this flooring to anyone, and Armstrong should be ashamed for passing this junk off as high quality. Unfortunately this flooring is laid through our entire first floor (roughly 2000 sq ft), so we’re stuck with it for a while, but will replace it as soon as we can afford to do so.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Beware of the details from Armstrong, their distributor(s) and Alterna LVT in particular. We ordered Armstrong Alterna luxury vinyl tile, or LVT, through a well-respected local flooring store that we have worked with before and set up to have them install it. Unfortunately, within two days, we learned after doing more research that the product has bad reviews, reported problems with premature wearing/tearing and is, according to reviews, extremely hard to get clean and keep clean. We tried to cancel the order before it arrived, or have it returned and restocked (with a willing restocking payment from us. We offered to pay twice the $65 shipping fee), and were told that the distributor wouldn't accept the return of that product even with a restocking fee. (Basically they didn't want the product even if unopened and untouched.)

It was definitely our fault for changing our mind before installation. We understand that, although I wish our local store had told us specifically it was considered a “special order” by Armstrong and their distributor. My wife and I have learned since then that not all flooring companies and distributors have those kind of rules. Basically, there are some that stand behind their product and some that don't. Armstrong and Ohio Valley Distributors, in this instance, didn't want anything to do with something they were still selling on a day-to-day basis. The carpet store manager literally said, "They said they can't sell it." That sends a message. I won’t forget that message next time and am hoping to save others the frustration of paying for flooring you don’t want. Arm yourself with the details before even thinking about ordering from Armstrong and one of its distributors.

Get matched with a Flooring partner near you.

Armstrong Flooring author review by Emma Simon

Parent company Armstrong World Industries began operations in 1891 and is headquartered in Pennsylvania. Armstrong Flooring designs and makes flooring and ceilings products for worldwide distribution. The company manufacturers products for both the residential and commercial market.

• Products: Armstrong Flooring offers an impressive array of products, including solid hardwood, engineered hardwood, laminate, resilient vinyl sheets and tiles and linoleum.

• Samples: Samples are available at participating retailers and can be ordered online for $5 each.

• Levels of retail partners: Armstrong Flooring showrooms across the United States display the widest variety of Armstrong products, but its flooring is also sold at preferred retailers and home-improvement centers.

• Installation: Some Armstrong retailers work with certified flooring contractors, and the Armstrong website provides self-help guides for do-it-yourself installers.

• Design a room: The "Design a Room" feature on the Armstrong website allows customers to upload photos and then select flooring, wall colors and more using a digital visualizer.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Armstrong Flooring Company Information