1.30/5
Based on 60 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 4, 2018

211 Andersen Windows Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 4, 2018

I purchased over $35,000 in windows with a lifetime warranty. Warranty is that I have to pay someone to come out to see the defective windows and pay someone to replace them. Don't buy these crappy windows with a joke of a warranty.

Original review: March 25, 2018

My wife and I purchased a nearly 100-year old home in July 2017 primarily because we loved many of the original details. While we loved the original windows, many did not work and we wanted to have them replaced. After doing some research, we eventually contacted Renewal by Andersen and had a salesperson come to our house in August 2017. Throughout the two-hour plus sales pitch, the salesperson stressed Andersen's quality, customer service, and commitment to customer satisfaction. After being told that we only could receive a certain discount if we ordered that night, we agreed to order 11 custom windows from Renewal by Andersen (and thereafter added two more) for a total cost of $30,000. We were promised installation in October 2017, well before winter set in for us in Buffalo, NY.

Only weeks before our installation was to occur, we received a call from Renewal by Andersen explaining that there had been manufacturing errors with our windows and that our installation would have to be delayed by a month until November 2017. Realizing that the month delay would take us to Thanksgiving, the installation was delayed until December 2017. As the installation date approached, we again were contacted by Renewal by Andersen to explain that yet more manufacturing errors had occurred. We were pressured to proceed with the December 2017 date as scheduled and told that the defective windows should be installed and then replaced at a separate service call. We reluctantly agreed, as we were eager to have the new windows installed before the holidays and before winter set in.

Renewal by Andersen proceeded to install the windows in December 2017. In addition to installing the defective windows we advised would be installed, Andersen also installed a window with cracked glass. Very unsatisfied, we contacted Renewal by Andersen. All we received was another in what would be a long line of hollow apologies and an explanation that the issue would have to be fixed at yet another service call. As also would be a familiar response, we were told that there was "nothing else" Renewal by Andersen could do. In addition to the cracked glass, the installation team was not provided with the required molding to place around two picture windows we had ordered. Renewal by Andersen yet again offered a hollow apology and looked to schedule another service call.

After receiving further excuses about manufacturing errors and other delays, we scheduled service to remedy all issues in January 2018. These issues included three defective windows and installing molding that was not provided to the installation team when they came to install the windows. Things only continued to get worse as we were informed days before the service call that there were more manufacturing errors and delays and that all items could not be addressed at the January 2018 service call. Instead of splitting up one service call into two service calls as pressured to do by Renewal by Andersen, we asked Renewal by Andersen to complete everything at one service call so that my wife and I did not have to take off any additional time from work. This service call was scheduled for March 12, 2018.

I will note that my wife and I both are professionals with busy schedules and cannot easily take time off of work. Renewal by Andersen, however, did not seem to care and insisted that all work had to take place between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. This was in spite of the fact that my wife and I both had taken full days off of work for the original December 2017 install and the January 2018 service call that never happened. Feeling we had no other option, my wife and I each took off March 12, 2018 for what we hoped would be the final service call. We sadly were wrong.

The installer showed up on March 12, 2018 with windows that looked worse than the windows they were to replace and was not provided with the correct amount of molding to complete the molding around our picture windows. The installer was able to convince us that some of the windows that were installed were the best possible result and we accepted that. What we did not accept, however, was the replacement window that was installed with chips and scratches. We again voiced our disapproval to Renewal by Andersen and again received a hollow apology and again were told, "there is nothing we can do." Yet another service call was scheduled for the following week to address the still outstanding issues.

At this service call, the installer was able to fix the chipped and scratched window but proceeded to install molding that had noticeable gaps on the corners. Renewal by Andersen's solution? Yet another service call scheduled for March 24, 2018. After receiving absolutely no help from our local service office, we decided to reach out to Renewal by Andersen's Corporate Office. Not surprisingly, its "customer service" line was an answering machine. A message left on March 12, 2018 still has not been returned. We also called Andersen (the parent company of Renewal by Andersen) on March 16, 2018 in an effort to speak to an actual person. While a couple individuals from scheduling were willing to speak with us, feigned concern, and promised a response, we have not received a call back from them either.

Our nightmare finally ended on March 24, 2018 when the installer finally completed the molding around our second picture window. As noted in this review, Renewal by Andersen was glad to accept our $30,000, but was not glad to address any of our issues, which really were its own issues with poor quality and poor customer service. We received only hollow apologies and consistently were told that there was "nothing" Renewal by Andersen could do. We also received no follow-up from customer service after expressing our dissatisfaction and concerns on multiple occasions. This seven-month ordeal resulted in my wife and I each taking multiple days off of work to accommodated Renewal by Andersen because they did nothing to accommodate us. We do not feel that any other homeowner should have to go through this experience and strongly would recommend any company other than Renewal by Andersen.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 17, 2018

We notated Renewal by Anderson about a month and a half ago and some sales person had no problem coming right out to talk us into getting the windows. We liked what he was saying at first. But after he left we talked about and felt we were pressed into signing something we ready didn't understand. We tried calling our sales person Dave ** and got no call back for a day or two. Then I keep calling, then he finally answered and said his father had a heart attack, when I said I wanted to talk to him about changing things he said he couldn't talk now because of his father.

So I waited and nothing from him. Then one day a guy came out to measure the windows and I told him I haven't heard from the sales person and I was feeling uneasy about the whole deal. He said just let me measure the windows you want me to because otherwise he came here for nothing. I told him nothing is final until I talk to our sales person. I even called Renewal by Anderson and asked for a different salesperson more willing to help us. I heard nothing for weeks and forgot about everything.

And just by happen to call last week and talked to Dave ** and he said he went to Florida for his father, he said nothing about him dying. He agreed to come to our house last Saturday or call and Saturday. Nothing. And haven't talked to him since. Then I got a call from Renewal by Anderson saying they wanted to bring the windows I had measured, and I said 3 or 4 times I don't want anything delivered to my house without talking to the salesperson Dave ** and still nothing, they didn't even tell me how much the 3 windows I had measured even cost.

Then today I got a bill in the mail for a place I never heard of saying I owed them over $5000 for something I never received. I called and call and text and emailed Dave ** and finally texted me back, not call me like I asked and said it was too late to change my mind about the three windows because I signed a contract then started having a attitude about his father dying which I didn't know. He wanted to argue on a text so I asked him to leave me alone. Please.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have a set of Anderson dual swing patio doors in terratone color that have Anderson's known delamination issue. They offered us a 50% discount on replacement doors. I just called them today to order replacement doors and now they won't honor their own recall. There is no way I will pay $2500 to replace the panes when I can replace the entire doors with something better for the same price. Worthless company.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Our original French doors arrived damaged. Andersen replaced the damaged panels, but ever since then the doors haven't worked correctly. They firmly stick to the threshold, and have to be lifted and shoved open using our shoulders. (I am 66 with arthritis, so it's not an easy task!) Andersen has sent authorized door people who have adjusted the doors several times. They still don't work. They now will replace the hinges and defective panel (door), but expect us to pay for the installation. Which will cost us about $400. The doors are under warranty, but we need to pay??? We are very disappointed!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Andersen Windows?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

In 2007 I spent 7K on double French exterior doors for our back door to our patio. Since the first year, the hardware in these doors has been problematic. The locking mechanisms jam and the actuator has been replace multiple times. Once the door jammed so badly we could not exit the rear of the house using it until a locksmith arrived. The hardware spring in a handle broke today and I have called a custom door maker to come out and bid on replacing the Andersen product. The design of the locking mechanisms run the full height internally to the door so using replacement hardware from another manufacturer is not an option. The door has not been able to be locked for more than a year and I installed slide bolts on the inside of the doors to make them secure.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Ok, do not buy from this company. I had 5 windows installed and paid over $9,000! I recently found out that I was charged more than double of what I should have been. But being a single woman, what do I know about windows. Being total taken advantage of! Lesson learned. The sales rep refused to answer my emails, I requested a breakdown cost of each window and never received it. He told me that they don't receive commission but I find that hard to believe now. The sales rep told me to have all the windows changed out in my home would be $30,000!!! I do have to say the installers were great, did a great job, friendly and very professional. The cost is outrageous!!! Not worth that kind of money.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have a nine-year-old house with all Andersen windows. My kitchen has a very large very expensive architectural window that developed a crack on the inside pane all the way across it. Having a 10-year warranty I called them to have it repaired. They tell me that it must have been a bad piece of glass and that they only pay for the glass. I will have to pay to have it installed at the cost of $450.00. They try to act like they are standing behind their windows boasting a ten-year warranty. Corporate greed is what they are about making a profit off of their faulty product. If you are going to put in a big window in your new home to enjoy the view I would buy another brand unless you want a big crack to look at or a big repair bill. They told me that my window was built in Canada not the United States another reason not to buy their product.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We got 90% of our windows changed from Renewal by Andersen. Windows don't let sun heat come through, our whole house is now more colder than before. Our previous windows were 29 years old. They had condensation in them and also were not soundproof. So we thought of changing them. Labor was quick to install windows in 2 days and also vacuumed the mess. But it's winter and our heater is working more and air has become dry because there is no sun warmth to heat up the home from inside. I wish I could get back my old windows.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018 I have installed several Andersen 400 double hung windows. I install myself so do take extra care in the installation. I have not had any trouble with air leaks, screens not fitting, etc. I am completely satisfied with them. Since I have no complaints, I have no experience with warranty problems as others in the reviews.

It is my opinion that problems arise when they are not installed correctly as directed by Andersen.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Installed Series 600 windows in 2015 in a new construction home. Fighting condensation problems inside of the window edges when the temperature drops below 25. I keep the inside humidity about 40% according to National healthy conditions. Andersen says 25% so the windows will not condensate. This 25% is unhealthy humidity. Every time I call Andersen Windows it falls on deaf ears. My argument is with today’s technology why do Andersen Windows still use aluminum seal between the panes is of glass. Aluminum is the best conductor of thermal transfers there is. What cools quicker in your fridge!!! Aluminum can of beverage or a glass bottle. I have called for a representative several times to my residence. Still waiting since 2015. To you buyers that even thinking of Andersen Windows. Do your research.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We purchased thousands of dollars worth of windows from Andersen Windows. After installation and all protective sheeting removed we noticed several large scratches on the windows and they are all in between the panes, which proves we didn’t do it. The screens don’t fit correctly leaving gaps where bugs come in and one of the latches also doesn’t work. They gave us another set of screens which also don’t fit and don’t know what else to say.

They inspected the scratches and said they would replace the glass in 2 of the 7 damaged windows but didnt think it was necessary to fix the other 5. These are large picture windows and we see these scratches all the time. Our concern is them not sealing properly after they pulled the glass out and put the new glass in and the damage they will do pulling the wood trim off to get to the glass. These are 5 & 6 ft windows and the scratches extend halfway through some of them. They admitted it must have happened in the factory but that’s all they would do. Nothing has been settled and it’s been a year now. Very disappointed in a company that is supposed to be so good and won’t back their product.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I don't need replacement windows and I don't want 30 emails a day telling me that I do. Tried unsubscribing to no avail. Tried contacting them directly to no avail. In the unlikely event I will ever need new or replacement windows, I will never use this company because of their invasive emails.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Built our home in 1992, installed Andersen windows throughout. The double-panel windows fixed are custom made and are not functioning due to the panes closing in on each other. A technician came out and drilled holes in the outer pane and supposedly fixed the window by “pulling” it out or releasing it and silicon filled the hole. Not a single window is repaired. We were scammed by Andersen when we need every defective outer pane replaced.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We bought a spec home in Michigan, four years ago. It was a higher end home, so we thought it was pretty well built. A bit surprised that our windows did not tilt in for cleaning. After a year or two I called the builder about our bedroom being cold and condensation and ice on our windows, which was then causing mold to form. I was forwarded to Andersen, with not much success.

Over the last 4 years my wife’s cough has gotten worse and my daughters room runs 5-7 degrees colder than the rest of our house, so she is always sick too. I used to live in Maine and never had problems like this. After multiple attempts to contact the builder, supplier and window manufacturer, with no luck, we finally had to spend $32k to replace all our windows and slider. Once my realtor got involved, it did actually get the builder and supplier out, but both said not their issue.

The windows didn’t stop the heat from a heat lamp from coming thru, so they said the gases were gone. Which would explain the cold and why it is so hot during the summer. There also is not a good latch, so we could push up and down on the window when they were closed, so thus not a good seal on the back of the window stopping hot or cold air from coming in. So that probably explains the condensation. The frame was also not insulated with filler, so the top window sat outside of our wall, so air might have been able to come around through the frame. Overall amazed that we just replaced all or our windows in a 4 year old house. I always thought of Andersen as a good brand. I don’t feel that way anymore. I’ll probably never buy an Andersen window again.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

We had Andersen install two replacement picture windows 11 days ago. Cost $12,000. That's not a typo. They put something like $200 into their bid for stucco repair and paint to make the exterior good again from the damage caused by pulling out the old windows. You and I both know that $200 won't prime and paint a bird house unless you do it yourself. So, we declined to use their stucco guy and used our own. They are also window and exterior trim installers as well as flashing and roofing experts. They told us that the windows are installed incorrectly. Andersen put them in too low, so that now they have created a standing trough where water will collect at the bottom of the windows; they didn't install them flush to the weather bead, in fact they are about an inch behind it, and you can see that the windows run out from one side to the other; they are not even parallel to the framing.

I am quite sure that their stucco repairman would have tried to cover this all up with stucco and caulk, which would have had to be removed once water started coming into the wall cavity. It is worse than a weekend DIY job by a first-timer. I should have listened to my best judgment because the neighbors across the street also had a botched job by Andersen and after 18 months of haggling reached a settlement with them, but with an NDA (non-disclosure agreement), meaning they agreed to not talk about the settlement. Andersen somehow gets by on reputation, but their work is incompetent.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

This review comes as a result of another day of condensation on our 3-year-old A-Series windows. Each morning from November till early May we have to wipe the condensation from our windows. The door are Therma-Tru and they are completely dry. The Andersen Window Co. says the humidity in the home is the issue. We have gone to great lengths to measure humidity and control it to eliminate the problem but guess what. Same ** different day. It’s just frustrating that Andersen will spend millions to explain the issues that arise from too much humidity on their site but won't do anything to fix the windows we purchased. A contractor we know told us they heard at a trade show that the glass in the windows is defective... But it seems we are just people that work hard for our money so we don't matter. No one will listen if it going to cost time and money to fix the issue.

I am a painter by trade and I have painted windows for 20 years and have never seen new windows perform so poorly as these A-Series do. What a shame that a window can look so good but perform so poorly. Every day we wake to condensation on every window in the house and must spent 30 to 45 minutes wiping the moisture away. Fear of mold and rot makes this process a permanent part of our day. Imagine buying windows that were made for historic New England that can't live up to their name. Shame on Andersen Windows for taking advantage of hardworking people. By the way the humidity in our house today is 51% which is well within the limits that are recommended. Funny thing is that's where it is all the time but it’s humidity that's causing the problem.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have a rental property and my own home. Both properties have had issues with front doors and patio doors. Andersen blames issues on installers even though both properties were installed by two different certified Andersen contractors. They assume no responsibilities for a subpar product. Please do not purchase anything from this way overrated company that does not stand by its product.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I have had no experience with Renewal by Andersen and have no need for windows, but I have repeatedly unsubscribed to their barrage of daily unsolicited emails. I even emailed the company directly and told them that their constant emails were overloading my mailbox and to please stopped. That slowed it down for a few weeks. But now we're back again to daily blasts and when I travel I miss critical emails because my mailbox is full. Is there no privacy statute that prevents this harassment?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I am 70 yrs old and disabled. I need 8 sashes for my home. I called Andersen to find out how to go about getting the correct sashes. They were able to provide them to me, but the price was quite high. They assured me that the best price was going to be from them, the manufacturer. I was only able to afford 4 sashes because of price. I found out a few days later that Home Depot sold the same product for less than half the price. Andersen won't let me cancel order without a huge restocking fee. They lied to me. Now I can't repair all my windows and they are laughing at me all the way to the bank. Completely unethical and possibly illegal business practices.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I've been trying to order grid inserts for months. In the beginning, I got no communication from the company unless I initiated it and now lately they will not even respond to emails. They are blaming a recent system update on order not being placed which I find totally bull since the system upgrade (email 10/17/17) happened recently and the order was emailed 9/26/17. My advice is to not order from Andersen until they can find employees who actually have customer service skills.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Live on new acreage in the country. Very few mature trees protecting us. Purchased a fairly new home here but the windows leaked. Decided to replace the leaky windows approximately "3 years" ago. Purchased "A-series" double-hung windows from Eddie, at Marcus Lumber, Marcus, Iowa. Had some of the windows installed by Chris **. Excellent installation and workmanship. Half of the windows leaked (4 windows and patio door leak, interesting... Other 4 do not leak.) Called Marcus Lumber and no one returned our calls. Called Andersen Windows and it took forever (i.e., 30-45 min. hold) to get through and when you finally got through they'd transfer you, only to hold, again! The representatives were difficult to work with (e.g., they required us to explain details that were difficult as we are not window experts. Their customer service representatives were very short with us.)

Took about a month and they sent technicians out to tweak things on the windows. Their name (no relation) was (** -- Brad & Wayne). Really decent guys who tried hard to find ways to stop leaks. The window technicians (Brad & Wayne) reported that our windows were installed properly with excellent workmanship. The windows still leaked. I called the window technicians (Brad & Wayne) back and they came again two more times trying to tweak things. The windows still leaked.

My husband went "into" Marcus Lumber to complain. The representative said they would check with Andersen Windows but they didn't know because "Andersen Windows is difficult to deal with." Marcus Lumber didn't get back to us... ever. I took the initiative and called Marcus Lumber (Tom) back about 4 months later explaining what had happened. They promised that they'd take care of it as soon as possible. Months passed. Two men from (I think both from Marcus Lumber? Maybe Andersen reps?) came and inspected our windows. Three months passed and we didn't hear back.

I took the initiative again, and called Marcus Lumber and told Tom that he'd be hearing from me every week until something further was done. Tom is always pleasant and empathetic. Tom said he needed to get a hold of Dennis (**?) in Sioux Falls, SD. Tom would call and email Dennis and weeks would pass. Finally he emailed Dennis and copied me. This morning the window technicians (Brad & Wayne) are at my house as I write. I ask, “What can be done? Can we get different windows? These are defective.” Wayne explains: "Mostly we make improvements in the field."

I want to remind you this has been going on for three years! Andersen Windows has not yet stood behind any warranty. Please, I urge you not to buy any A-Series double-hung windows from Andersen. They are defective! They leak! Andersen Windows customer service is absolutely horrible. They have difficulty working with the retailers. The ball gets dropped. The retailers are nice to you -- even when you call every week -- but nothing gets accomplished and it's slow as molasses. You have to take the time and make assertive initiatives or nothing will get fixed. This is one of the worst spends (decisions) we've made.

We still have some of Andersen A-Series windows in our garage. My husband cannot stomach installing more of these windows. Soon... he'll be using my hair dryer and that plastic stuff you buy at ACE Hardware to put on the windows to keep the cold Midwest wind out of our home. Our electric bills remain high. My windows look tacky and you have to look through a plastic film to see out. Our request would be to receive new and improved double-hung windows or maybe casements if their double hungs are still defective -- which they might still be. For your own sake, do not buy or work with any Andersen Window retailer. You will regret it.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My house was built in 2007 and the doors were purchased from Andersen. In 2012 the lock mechanism on the door handle broke and was replaced under warranty. Now in 2017 the same part has again broken and warranty is denied because the original part purchase has exceeded 10 years. The fact that this same part is defective and has to be replaced again after just 5 years is not considered. Repairs will have to be made at my expense for a faulty product that the manufacturer will not stand behind.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I have never had a worst experience with a company. After an hour and a half on the phone they provided me with zero information, refused to help in any way after spending over 2000 dollars on a window. I am completely disgusted with them. Their complete inattention was so frustrating I could not believe it. I would never buy another thing from them ever and other people should not either.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Had 1 window quoted and it was 2000.00 for 1 without grids in the window and 2500.00 with grids. If you buy 4 about 8000.00. That’s highway robbery to the average working man! Andersen is supposedly the best out there but to do my whole house probably would be 30,000 bucks! Come on now! That’s irate!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

My husband and I had bought a home that had some Andersen windows installed so we thought we would continue replacing the old windows from this company. We had a front window replaced, a patio door with a matching handle and hinges, and they exam the existing windows for any defects for free. We were so happy with the great service! We began making payments but noticed a few months later our balance owed was now double? I attempted to get some information from numerous people and phone numbers for a total of seventeen months. I gave up for a long time because I have been battling with some health issues. We still make our payments on time and now we are trying to get a statement of work done from renewal by Andersen Windows once again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My husband and I placed an order for a $2500 oak Anderson window July 21, 2017 from Mentor Lumber and we worked with Tim ** to purchase the window. The window was delivered on time, we briefly inspected the window for gashes and dings in the wood and accepted the delivery but noted that there were sizable gaps in the corners that were not flush as they should have been. Mentor Lumber was notified of this and a service tech was sent to our house 1 week later. He informed us that all gaps could be corrected for with new stops. We waited another 4 weeks for the new window stops to be delivered and installed. We were still dissatisfied with gaps and the way the screens were fitting in the window. We were told by Tim ** that he would come out to our house to inspect the defects.

In late August Tim came out to our house and told us the gaps in were unacceptable and the frames in fact did not fit the windows. We were told once more to wait another 4 weeks for different parts to be ordered and were reassured that everything would fit properly. It is October 6 - we were supposed to receive a phone call this week regarding parts and/or update regarding what was being done to correct this issue. We have heard nothing and phone calls have been unreturned. Our window that was delivered July 21, 2017 is still sitting uncorrected by Mentor Lumber & Anderson Window on October 6, 2017. This is unacceptable. My husband and I will be contacting the company to have the window uninstalled. When paying $2500 for 1 window you have expectations. These expectations have continued to go unmet since July 21, 2017 to date.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

The storm door is acceptable. I bought it from Home Depot. However the Andersen online chat person said that there was no difference between the inside and outside of the panel. Using this information I had solar protective film applied to the panel. However there is a difference, there is a lip on the inside of the panel and the door panel now has the film on the outside where it is not supposed to be.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Called number to verify if they had a showroom due to overly aggressive and lying sales rep. I gave them my phone number due to sales rep lying about installation for a neighbor. ** actually tried to hack my Google Account short time later. DO NOT approach this company in any way. I was nice when I called and explained why I was hesitant to give out other numbers. She still tried to play a very dangerous game. Employees who act out like this are a danger to the community at large and the tone is set from the top. There are other quality window companies in the national market. Don't bother with this one.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Problems with 200 Series Narrowline Andersen Gliding Door - I am a general contractor who's been in the business for nearly 30 years. This review is in reference to a kitchen remodel that was completed in August 2017. I made the suggestion to remove a 25 yr. old 5' French door and small bay window and replace both with a 3 panel, 12' sliding glass door. Other windows in the house were 20 year old Andersen Windows with the customer having no complaint issues with them. The door was purchased ($6,800) through a local lumber yard. It came delivered within 3 weeks of ordering. So far so good...

I assumed it would be a 3 panel unit with a continuous 12' sill and header (like Pella's) but it was 2 units. One being a standard 2 panel 8' slider. The other was a 4' fixed unit. The 2 units needed to be "mold" together with screws and silicone. Oh speaking of silicone (see pics) horrible sealant job! I can see sill/header leak problems eventually occurring at the joint where the 2 units meet. Interior trim issues were numerous. Gaps at joints, wood strips miscut, no pre-drilled holes for hardware or foot lock, and finally the retractable screen.

I've never seen so many parts and non-informative installation instructions. To adjust the tension on the screen, you need to physically remove the entire screen housing! What a flimsy, expensive excuse for a screen. I contacted Andersen for service on the retractable screen, the service guy said I should give it a good coat of WD-40 and that would fix the screen from gaping when opened or closed. I have a one word suggestion for all of you homeowners out there P E L L A !

Andersen Windows expert review by Joseph Truini

The Andersen Corporation is the largest door and window manufacturer in the United States. The company has been in business since 1903.

• Wide product offering: Andersen designs and manufacturers an extensive line of high-performance, energy-efficient windows and doors. It has four brands: Andersen vinyl-clad wood windows and patio doors; Renewal by Andersen, a line of low-maintenance replacement windows; Silver Line vinyl windows and patio doors; and American Craftsman vinyl windows and doors, which are sold exclusive through Home Depot.

• Sells internationally: Andersen sells windows in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and South America as well as in the United States.

• Large online library: Customers can read about how to choose the right products, how to install them and more on the company's website.

• Trains installers: Consumers must contract separately with third parties for installation, and Andersen offers certification in installing its products. The only exception is for Renewal replacement windows, which are installed by Andersen’s own group of highly trained contractors.

• Lots of options: Owners who want to create a custom look can easily mix and match shapes, materials and sizes from the large catalog of available windows.

• Online parts store: Owners who want to repair or replace windows and doors can find and purchase parts online through this company's website.

• Best for: Andersen Windows are best for homeowners, do-it-yourselfers, condo owners, landlords, business owners, and anyone interested in energy-efficient, well-built windows and doors.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Andersen Windows Company Information