1.50/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 115 years, our drive to make windows that are different and better has been at the heart of our company. It has led us to pioneer new products, set higher standards for our entire industry and, ultimately, become America’s premier window manufacturer. In fact, Andersen is not only the most trusted and recommended brand of windows and doors among homeowners, it’s also the most preferred.

Andersen Windows Gallery (6)
View More View More

184 Andersen Windows Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 18, 2019

I was disappointed in the 400 series casements. They close and lock poorly from day 1. I had several that leaked and they had to send a guy out to caulk the exterior. The hardware the covers that crank just sits on with no fastener so every time I open or close the window the cover pops off, total crap design and that guy should be fired. The windows came and many needed assembly which as a builder I have never seen. The decorative trim on the windows was never fastened or glued and came off of half the windows in the home. Quality control is almost nonexistent. I would not recommend these. Should have spent the extra money and got Pella because the time I've spent fixing these windows that are 5 months out has made these cost more than the Pella equivalent model.

Andersen Windows response

Thank you for providing feedback. Due to the size of the units in your living room, some job site mulling was done on your units. We do have restrictions with shipping and handling due to size for the windows and doors. It isn't uncommon for units to be mulled at the job site. I believe that is what you are referring to. I did locate a service file that Graves Lumber created for you but they didn't mention anything about hard operation or hardware popping off. Someone from our service department will reach out to you. If you'd like to call us in the meantime, please call 855-337-8825 and reference file 11975455. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2019

After visiting a local store I decided to purchase the 3000 series storm door with retractable screen. Not even 3 weeks after having it installed the screen began warping/bowing at the bottom near the trim area. Luckily, it was covered under the store warranty so they sent out a repair guy to fix/replace the screen at no charge to me. Imagine my surprise when less than a year had passed and the same issue happened. Now, I have to contact Andersen in order to resolve. They send out the replacement parts but I have to pay out of pocket for a repair person. Now, at just the 3 year mark of having the door installed, I am now having to pay a 4th time to have the same problem fixed. This is a bit ridiculous! At this point, it would make more sense to my bank account to just purchase a better quality door. I will not purchase any Andersen products in the future.

Andersen Windows response

Thank you for providing feedback. Someone from our service department will call you to discuss possible options. In the meantime, if you'd like to reach out to us. Thanks again.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have replaced with Andersen Windows, all are good, except for one. Contractor was out twice, said nothing wrong, all insulated good. We have to keep towels on the window sill, to keep out the cold. Worse than my old window.

Andersen Windows response

Hi Shirley, Please reach out to our service department when you are home by the window so that we may assist you. 888-888-7020 Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 29, 2019

This is the worst window company. Do not buy Andersen Windows because you will never get anyone to service your windows after install and the last payment made to them. The representative are rude and ask for ridiculous amount of info on the window (the labels are impossible to read, they do that on purpose) to stall the process of getting your claim put through their system. Ultimately you end up paying the repair company to fix the problem yourself because their so-called warranty never covers labor or anything else. Millard is the best, stay far and clear of Andersen!

Andersen Windows response

Thank you for reaching out. I see that Ana spoke with an agent today and we have set up an inspection on the windows. (file 12196677) If we can be of further assistance, please call us. 855.337-8825

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 22, 2019

I built our house in 2008 and used all Andersen Windows 400 series. The problem with the windows is on the exterior finish the cladding is cracked, split and peeling. I realize they only offer a 10 yr warranty on the structure and 20 yr on the glass. The date the windows were made is 10/2008. I reported a problem in 2/2019. 4 months out of warranty. I provided pictures and hoped for the best. Their resolution is to sell me replacement windows at a discount of 50% off. Come on 4 months out of date, I think what a bunch of BS. It's not just 1 either. It's 5 units for a total of 10 windows.

I spent over 15,000 on their products when building our house and this is the thank you we get. I also had a panel separate from a sliding glass door and a casement window problem also, which they sent a tech out to fix with no cost to me but didn't replace them. I think the failure may have happened during the warranty period but due to the weather I'm not out much in the winter looking at my windows.

Andersen Windows response

Thank you for sending a message, Don. I have located the service file (12162279) and see that the windows were actually manufactured on 5-23-2008. We are offering a discount off our service price and the replacement sash would have a new 10 year limited warranty for non glass and 20 years on the glass. I apologize that we are unable to improve this offer. Please call our service department if you wish to move forward. 855-337-8825

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Andersen Windows?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 21, 2019

My home was built in 2006 with the beautiful Andersen TW2452 windows with the vinyl interior grille. We had one of our lower sash windows break and needed a replacement and were told that we needed to purchase the window now with a wood interior grille insert and that it would not match the rest of the windows in our entire home! What is up with that? How does a company that sells millions of expensive windows make that decision? I was told by the customer service person that I would just have to make due somehow. I think that is just poor customer service. I would be willing to pay a bit more for production of my window if it is discontinued but to just say, "Sorry you are out of luck" is beyond comprehension!

Andersen Windows response

We discontinued the polycarbonate grilles in 2009. We are always trying to find ways to improve our products and periodically make changes. Through marketing, we felt it was time to move forward and just offer the interior grilles in wood. A replacement grille will look the same. It will have the same profile and pattern. You can order the grille in prefinished white or in maple then paint it to match the other grilles in your home. Thank you for providing your feedback. Please call our service department if we can be of further assistance. Thank you. 855-337-8825

Original review: March 19, 2019

We had a new home built. In July 2018 new the water. There’s always a breeze and by winter that breeze made its way in our home. Had to put plastic over the windows to keep cold out. The plastic puffed out so much, I had to use heavy tape to keep up. The builder said he contacted the rep for Anderson to make an appointment with me but haven’t heard yet. It’s been a little over a week. I slept with a heating pad & an electric fireplace all winter long even with plastic on the windows. It also could be the way they were installed. Either way, I can’t go through another winter. At my age, it’s not healthy!

Andersen Windows response

Thank you for reaching out. I am not finding a file in our service department for your address. Please call our service department when you are home, near the windows so that we may assist you. 888-888-7020 Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 16, 2019

Purchased home a year ago and part of purchase was based upon all windows were upgraded to Andersen, with 20 year transferable warranty. This January the inner glass pane on our French Door developed a hairline running horizontal crack after a cold spell (window NOT hit or damaged by accident). Contacted AW Support and was told by supervisor Amber that a spontaneous, "act of God" crack like this one is NOT covered under the warranty. AW case number **. Buyer beware before considering Andersen. Hope this is helpful in window/door shopping.

Andersen Windows response

Good morning Bill, Patio door glass is tempered and doesn't get a typical stress crack due to the tempering. According to the service file, #12207608, the patio door in your home is from 2003. It is still covered by the 20 year glass warranty to be free from manufacture defects but stress cracks don't happen in tempered glass. If you'd like to call our corporate office to discuss this further, please call us. 855-337-8825 Thank you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I purchased this 3000 series door at a box store and had professionally installed. Was happy with everything for the first 5 days and then noticed the vinyl on the retractable screen was warped bowing inward. I thought I’d be calling local but customer service is Manila Philippines and I could just barely understand them. They are sending a part out in 21 days for me to repair. This must be a joke. 6 days product fails in winter weather inside the door I might add and I have to fix it??? Really Andersen.

Andersen Windows response

I am sorry to hear of the failure. I located your order and show UPS actually delivered it today. If we can be of further assistance, please call 855-337-8825 Thank you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

It is almost impossible to remove my sliders for cleaning. I have only been able to remove the 2 kitchen windows for cleaning after a very hard struggle. I have watched several videos on removing them, none of which worked. I have 3 other windows that I cannot get out. What could be the problem?

Andersen Windows response

Hi Sharon, Please call our service department when you are home, by the windows so that we may assist you. 888-888-7020 Thank you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

We put 34 200 series tilt wash double hung windows in our home when we built it in 2001 that were reported to have a 20 year warranty. One of the 34 has developed a gray haze on the inside that is very noticeable when the sun shines in the back of the house. There is no condensation. I talked to the customer service representative and sent them pictures as requested. He told me the window failure is not covered because it is a seal failure that likely occurred from chemical exposure. He could see in the picture we have a brick house so he assumed it was "a brick wash or acid rain or something". I explained that we built the house and there has never been a brick wash and we only use typical window cleaners like Windex which he states is fine.

I find it hard to believe that acid rain only damaged one of the 34 windows when the window that failed is on the back of a 2 story house with a full walk out basement so it is essentially under the eaves on the 3rd floor but the lower units that get much more exposure are fine. They are happy to sell me replacement panes for $644 but won't honor their warranty. They acknowledged the failure is well within the 20 year warranty they advertise but for some reason have just decided based on a couple pictures that 1 out of 34 windows was exposed to some unknown chemical so they won't honor the warranty. I personally bought the windows and had them installed and have done all the home maintenance etc. Never used any chemicals. I don't think acid rain on one window that is probably one of the most protected windows in the house is very likely. Apparently the warranty is a sales tool but not something they actually honor.

Andersen Windows response

Thank you for letting us know of your concern. Someone from our service department will give you a call to go over this. We appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further. Please call us if you have additional questions, 888-888-7020. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 12, 2019

We built our home in 1990 and installed Andersen casement windows in our whole house. Several years ago we noticed that many of our windows have a defect in them that Andersen is aware of and is not willing to replace the glass that is breaking down inside the window. Apparently the seals are leaking and the window is losing gas that is in between the panes and causing both panes to suck in and touch. I contacted corporate today and they were aware of the defect but refused to replace the defective windows. I see here many have complained about similar issues and I think a class action suit should be brought against Andersen being they knew about this problem and are unwilling to stand behind their product and replace the bad panes. They were only willing to give us 50 percent of list price to replace their defective product. Totally unacceptable resolution to my problem. These windows are unsafe at this point.

Andersen Windows response

Thank you for providing this information Lisa. We have a written warranty for the glass that covers them for manufacture defects for 20 years. Since the windows are out of the warranty period, we have offered you a discount off of our service list price for the replacements. I am sorry that this is disappointing to you. If we can be of further assistance, please call us. 888-888-7020

Original review: March 4, 2019

A year after the work was done, I am still working to get the work on my replacement windows fixed and the windows installed properly. One year later, there are still essential parts to several windows that are missing or not installed properly. The windows (100 series) themselves seem very good. The installation was sloppy, haphazard, and in some places is clearly off center, even to a non-professional like me. The installers dripped caulking on a bed, left refuse on site (and also some of their tools and materials). Some of the windows appear to have been installed in such a way that they don't open properly and several are done so poorly that the cold are leaks around the outside. I am still struggling to get them to correct the flaws. The more I learn, the clearer it is how poor the original install was. They have made some cosmetic repairs, and replaced the outside siding which fell down, but the essential poor installation remains.

I am further astonished that even after they have made superficial attempts to make the project at least look better, no one has ever followed up to see if I am satisfied. I am not. I suggest you educate yourself before investing thousands of dollars in window replacement. They are good windows, it seems. But I am having to fight to get them to do the job I have paid a great deal of money for. I am about to seek help of outside professionals and I will follow up when there are results. But after a year, and multiple site visits by several of the more senior people, I can only say that I feel that the company is at best disingenuous, and at worst unscrupulous. And, I am not sure if they even care how their customers feel.

Andersen Windows response

Hi Donald, Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. If you purchased 100 series windows from your local dealer or Home Depot, then you would have hired an independent installer to put them in. Please call our service department if you'd like us to assist you. Thank you. 888-888-7020

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Purchased 2 Patio Doors, had professional contractor install per Andersen’s instructions May 2018. We live in NE Pennsylvania, in the Pocono Mountains. We have had nothing but problems with both doors. We had Andersen’s local dealer come out to look at the problems with the air leaks. They notified Andersen and said a claim was generated. A representative from Andersen came here today to evaluate our claim (they do not seal and cold air is coming in). The doors are bowed, but according to their representative they are within tolerance. He stated it could take up to six months before the air leaks will stop. So basically at this point they aren’t doing anything about the air flowing into our house. Representative suggested that we put some insulation in the areas the air flow is. Total BS... Don’t buy. Also have air leak issues on 22 windows that are not sealing properly.

Andersen Windows response
Thank you for providing feedback on your patio doors. I have located the service file (2294301) and we have notes regarding the installation and adjustments on the patio doors. A slight bow is also documented on the Frenchwood hinge unit. We ask that you keep the doors closed and locked through a heating and cooling season as we have seen the thermal bow will straighten itself out the vast majority of the time. We also show shims were provided to your contractor to address the issues with your windows. If you'd like our assistance, please call our service department. 855-337-8825

Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We are building a house and we did our research on windows before deciding the 100 series composite windows best suited our priorities. We put the front casement window in today. It fit beautifully and looked great. I opened the window and noticed the center post of the double casement was caulked at the top and bottom with BLACK caulk. Our window is white. Unfortunately this site doesn’t upload photos. The caulk line is 1/2 an inch wide.

Andersen Windows response

Thank you for providing feedback on your 100 series windows. The picture shows the black gasket that is used on the integral mulls that are put together in our factory. I can certainly provide feedback to our factory that you'd perhaps like to see that gasket match the color of the window. I sincerely appreciate your comments. If you'd like to contact our service department, please call 888-888-7020. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We ordered a sliding door from Andersen, the 100 series, and they came to us scratched and damaged. After a call to them they suggested I clean them, and if they are still scratched after cleaning they will come out and look at them. They must not have believed me when I said they were scratched. But needless to say the scratches did not come out with a cleaning, so they agreed to send a new door after a month of back and forthcoming, but the door would take 6 weeks to get to us, and this was seriously putting our home renovation behind. After 6 weeks of waiting the new door comes in and is in worse shape than the 1st, and at this point we couldn’t wait any longer for a new ordered door. We were already behind. Andersen didn’t care to do anything about fixing this. You would think they would care enough about their product to protect it and make sure it’s sent in new condition. I would stay away from Andersen at all costs.

Andersen Windows response

Thank you for providing information regarding your recent patio door purchase. We are continually looking for ways to improve the protection of our products during shipping. I will pass these concerns on to the warehouse. I do apologize that you had to go through this delay during your home renovation. If there is anything else we can do, please call our service department. Thank you, again. 888-888-7020

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I do not recommend Andersen windows. Due to a defect, my Windows (casement) leaked the Argon has between the glass panels. This causes the glass panels to collapse so that the panels touch each other towards the middle and leave an unsightly oval area that looks like condensation. The collapsed windows also lose insulating capability due to this issue. Andersen does not help with replacing these windows windows unless it’s during the first 20 years.

This may seem ok with some but 20 years is not a lot for a major expense of a houseful of windows. Because it was a defect in the windows, Andersen should stand behind these windows and help repair/replace them. They do not. I also have an Andersen Frenchwood slider that rotted on the bottom of the stationary panel. I believe that Andersen initially had very good products but in later years have been just using their name to sell their products. I recommend that anyone looking to buy windows/doors find another company with a quality product.

Andersen Windows response

Thank you for taking the time to provide this information. I am sorry to hear you are disappointed in our 20 year limited warranty on the glass. We believe it is the best in the industry. We still have replacement sash available. Please contact a local dealer or our service department, 888-888-7020. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I had two Andersen 400 windows from the 90's that I ripped out during a bedroom renovation. Tore out all exterior drywall and reinsulated. I installed two new Andersen 400 series double hungs, thinking that the excessive condensation on the old windows was due to broken seals. Well, I was very wrong. The new windows are horrible. In out humidity meters in my bedroom and even at 25-30 percent indoor humidity these things are DRIPPING wet by the morning. Awful. To the point where even the bottom of the dashboard is wet. Wish I read this thread sooner, I never would have installed these.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My Andersen inside window pane broke with no provocation. I called Andersen and they said someone from their warranty dept would call me... which they didn't. So I called 5 days later and they said because The window was over 20 years old they wouldn't cover it but would be happy to sell me the replacement glass for over $700. Windows shouldn't crack for no reason at all. It makes me concerned about the other 29 windows in my house.

Andersen Windows response

Thank you, Greg, for providing this information. I have located your service file, 12163851. I see the windows in your home were put in 1988. We have a limited warranty and cover the glass for 20 years to be free from manufacturing defects. I understand that the glass shouldn't crack for no reason but it is 31 years old. Glass ages just like all of the other products in your home. If you want to discuss this further, please call our service department. 888-888-7020

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Andersen Windows response

Thank you Rob for posting these concerns. The glass in windows don't have an insulating factor and there isn't anything in the glass that creates the humidity or the condensation. You can find information on condensation on our web site and we have a you tube video explaining it as well. In our opinion, 40% levels of humidity are too high. Please take a couple of minutes to watch the you tube video. Thank you. https://binged.it/2J6uxfu

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Andersen windows came with the house when we bought it. I thought that was a plus. Until the windows started breaking without anyone touching them. Three of my windows broke this way. The inside glass shatters in a peculiar fashion. There are a couple of circles in the middle, in a number 8 shape, and rays going toward the edges. Only inside glass breaks, outside one is intact.

After researching this issue, I found that Andersen knows about this issue, and in some cases have sent repairmen to people's houses to repair broken windows, and TEST THE OTHER WINDOWS IN THE HOUSE. The test procedure goes like this: they measure the distance between two panes of glass, and if it's less than 6mm, they repair it by drilling a hole in the side of the window to release air from outside into the space between the two panes of glass. After a while, the glass straightens, and the space between panes goes back to normal 10-15mm, at which point the hole drilled in the side of the window is plugged, finishing the repair. So to summarize: the glass breaks because it is pulled inwards by the low pressure between the two glass panes. The fact that my windows broke when it was very cold outside is consistent with low pressure causing the breakage.

Let's get back to my issue, present day: in my case, the Andersen customer service rep Makayla and supervisor Amanda told me that because my windows are 31 years old, they are out of warranty, and they will not cover any costs. They were happy to provide me a quote for replacement parts of $815! Outrageous! If Andersen was such a reputable company, they would fix their faulty products. Instead they kept repeating: "out of warranty period", e.g. "our ** are covered". It may be legally correct, but it's definitely not customer friendly.

At this time I mentioned that Andersen sent repairmen to other people's house, and outlined the testing and repair procedure I described above. The supervisor told me "That is an old procedure, we wouldn't do that these days, we would replace the whole window. But your windows are out of warranty..." So yes, they know about the problem. Now I expect the rest of my windows throughout the house to break. We have 18 of them. I WILL DEFINITELY NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ANDERSEN EVER AGAIN. Buyer beware!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Recently completed an addition to my home and spent $10,000 on a storm door, 2 windows and a french door with window panel. The storm door #23839 didn't have a mechanism for the door to close properly. Looks like I have to buy that separately. That was $548 plus tax... My bigger issue is a $4312 french door 400 series. I didn't understand the standard door handle is an ugly tribeca white. Had I known that I would have asked for a metallic finish door handle.

I am now stuck with an ugly white door handle that doesn't match the finishing anywhere in the build-out. Andersen is telling me I have to spend $500 on a new door handle and I am stuck with the white tribeca handle. I am sorry, but for $4300 something more should be done for me. My family recently spent $25k on Andersen Windows for another home. I won't be using Andersen again and I will be needing more windows in the next year. Sorry, Andersen - you make a good product and your prices are premium but are lacking in customer service and you clearly don't care about taking care of a customer.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We are building a new home. We bought the E series windows. They are supposed to be the best. We have spent a great deal of money for the Windows and doors. First the expensive front door was the wrong size. Took an extra 8 weeks to get a new one. We have a very large window was not mulled together when shipped. The window had no installation instructions. No one not even Andersen window techs knew how to mull together and install. They sent three guys to my house that didn't have a clue. They were there 10 hours and installed the window incorrectly. So the trim for the window was destroyed and had to order it for the third time.

It took over three months for the window trim and window to be installed by someone we hired. We bought these Windows from 84 Lumber. Their rep is Stephen **. He promised great service and a great product. We got neither. Then we were contacted by Arthur **. He promised we would be compensated for all the trouble. But never heard back from him. My husband finally contacted him only for him to say and I quote "I overstepped my bounds and cannot do anything for you." Buyer Beware!!! Do Not Buy Andersen Windows.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Being a house builder, and constructing my new home, I installed "A" Series double hung and casement windows. Upon installation, as the temperature drops below 20 degrees, moisture starts to build on the glass in the nighttime hours and when the sun rises in the morning and the temperature rises the moisture will start to dissipate. I notice that on my Southside exposure, the moisture will diminish faster than the windows on the North side. I contacted my lumber yard and had a rep from Andersen visit my home. Upon seeing the moisture on the windows, he claimed "this was normal". Further questioning about my casements being tighter than double hungs, why should moisture appear? Why is it my Therma-Tru doors with windows that are adjacent to casement windows have no moisture buildup?

So three years later, no satisfaction or answers from Andersen, and am now experiencing paint lifting from my interior sashes. Recently at a product show where Andersen was a participant, I had a lengthy conversation with the Andersen Salesperson and at that time he admitted that Andersen was having trouble with the coating on their glass which creates the insulating factor for the glass. So I ask myself, "Now What?" After spending all of this money on 16 units. As a builder I can no longer recommend Andersen.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Had four new windows installed in Feb. 2018. In October 2018, I noticed condensation on the bottom of all four windows: two windows were box bays with cranks, one sliding window and one fixed window. I called Anderson and set up an appointment and explained my issue. The caller stated that this is normal??? I said not for what I paid for this things!

Anderson came to inspect the windows and stated this is “normal!” This can't be normal... where cold air and warm air meet condensate forms. Anderson then stated that the bottom (where the condensate forms) of the window is colder hence the reason for the condensate! Apparently Anderson window are not well insulated because now the condensate will start to rot the veneer. Anderson handed us a brochure “Understanding Condensation.” The brochure covered a few things but nothing that fits my situation.

The closest example was a glass with ice water “sweating” or condensating... which is where warm air meets cold air... hence condensation forms!!! No different than my windows... warm air is escaping, windows poorly insulated/installed and Anderson will not recognize they have faulty products and have not backed the warranty of their products! SAVE YOURSELF MONEY... GO WITH AN INEXPENSIVE BRAND... WHEN THE WINDOW FAILS YOU WON’T BE OUT OF TOO MUCH MONEY!!! Of course Anderson did nothing but hand us a pamphlet.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I ordered 5 replacement screens. All 5 fit, however, 3 had the crossbar at wrong position. I called and was told needed "cottage window" screens. Cost $186.19 to return the incorrect. It would almost have been cheaper to throw the new screens away! DO NOT use online ordering! Make sure you call the 800 number and talk to a representative. Save yourself lots of money and lots of time and frustration. The Online process should warn a customer of multiple configurations and warn them that they will have to pay full UPS costs to have them returned. Very disappointed with Andersen on this matter.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I ordered a window sash from Andersen on Wednesday 8/15 and was told I would receive it in “10-15 business days”. The end of that period was Thursday 9/6. I have since called them periodically as recounted below. Friday 9/7. The window was still not picked up by UPS. Wednesday 9/12. The window, which was supposedly just waiting to be picked up, was given an “extra inspection” and was due to reach me “early to mid next week”, which would be around 9/19.

Thursday 9/20: UPS broke the window. I was told it would have to be made again. There was no possibility of a price accommodation for my troubles. However, when I spoke with a supervisor named “Adaliz”, I was told it would be "expedited" and reach me within a week. Wednesday 9/26: I spoke with another supervisor, “Nicole”. I was told that the factory declined the expediting and that the window was due to leave factory on 10/9.

Tuesday 10/9: I was told that the window was manufactured on Friday 10/5 and that I should receive it by the end of week or Monday. Monday 10/15: The window was still waiting to be loaded on a truck. Thursday 10/18: The window was still waiting to be loaded on a truck. The person I spoke to said that he would email the loading dock to make sure it got on the truck soon. I was told it was getting "extra packaging care" because of the prior breakage. I was told I would be emailed a tracking # so that I could monitor its delivery.

Friday 10/19: The window arrived with no email notification. Several of the packing straps were dangling off the package. When I unpacked it, I found that a screw and bolt were both damaged, making it unable to be installed. I will be contacting them on Monday to find out what they plan to do to actually get me the item for which I was charged back on September 13 but which they seem to be unable to successfully build, track, or ship.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

My Andersen 3000 w/ Retractable Screen Storm Door on my home is a bit older but not outdated by any means. The upper ventilating glass panel cracked then shattered all over my front staircase randomly one day. Fun times shop vac-ing glass shards out of your flower beds and sidewalk crevices. Got online to order a replacement glass panel for the door. Using the serial number they specifically requested in searching for the correct parts. Nowhere on that website was there a note stating that my door was no longer made, thus I would also need to purchase a new retractable screen for it as well. So I simply ordered the glass panel assuming it would be a direct replacement.

Get the product (1.5 weeks later), after 3 hours of shoddy PDF instructions and Youtube videos, get the old glass frame out and the new one in. Only to find out it will not match up with the retractable screen. I call Andersen this time - and get a partial English speaking representative on the other line who literally repeated what I had explained to her 5 times, telling me that I would now need to drill holes into this new glass panel to make my old screen fit it. WAIT WHAT? NO - Even had I drilled holes - this screen would not have worked with this new panel.

Absolutely not the answer. I demanded a USA representative in which I was given one. He listened to the problem and agreed that I would in fact need a new retractable screen that is meant to be in party with the glass pane as they are a pair. I was furious. I said I didnt want to wait another 1.5 weeks for a screen AND pay $50 for one AFTER the fact. Had their website noted that non-fully-compatible parts would shipped with my older door, I would have been able to order them both at the same time. That rep apologized and said he would ship me a no cost replacement screen right away.

Great I thought. Well, 10 days later - no screen. I call Andersen. They shipped it to my billing address, and not the shipping address. Which was 5 hours drive away from the home that needed the part. Furious again, I asked what was going to be done now as I have now waited almost a month with a half functioning storm door. Once again, the rep stated they would ship me a replacement screen pronto. It's 2 days later and I have yet to see a shipping label created. WAY TO SUCK, Andersen. If this hurricane season blows the door off its hinges - I will never again buy from Andersen again.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Updated on 01/21/2019: I did a review last summer after installed 400 series casement windows early spring of 2018 fogging up on outside almost every morning. Now that winter is here. Water has not dried up all winter on bottom of glass. I thought too much humidity in house. I was making up excuses hoping that was it too much humidity. No humidity down to 40%. Windows are just junk. Ice on a couple windows now. Poor choice of windows.

Original Review: I installed new 400 series casement windows this summer. Low E with sun block. The first was one lock broke before I finished putting all the hardware on. Two other locks very tight. No big deal right. They have no warranty on workmanship. So once you sign for them you better know how to fix yourself. Another almost every morning through the summer, they would fog up on outside at night you could not see out? I do not know if all window manufactures are like this. I will not buy another ANDERSEN WINDOW AGAIN. So if you're buying windows I would check if they cover labor?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I ordered Anderson Windows, they are very expensive so I expected that all the work would be done properly. The sales person said that a vinyl outside would be superior to wood and would match exactly our current windows (our home is 100 years old). The installers were surprised that we were using vinyl since they said they would not match the rest of the house and called the salesperson as I was not available. He said to just use vinyl anyway.

When I returned and saw how bad it looked not only did the vinyl not match but the seams did not connect and it was bent on the top overall it looked really bad. We did not have them do vinyl on the other windows and they removed the vinyl and put in wood however they did not match the look of the other windows and have yet to come out and complete the job. One of their Managers named Mitch called to say their crew said it was complete and they have still not completed the work. The installers are obviously not skilled carpenters - very disappointing to pay too much and still not have to job completed.

Andersen Windows expert review by Joseph Truini

The Andersen Corporation is the largest door and window manufacturer in the United States. The company has been in business since 1903.

• Wide product offering: Andersen designs and manufacturers an extensive line of high-performance, energy-efficient windows and doors. It has four brands: Andersen vinyl-clad wood windows and patio doors; Renewal by Andersen, a line of low-maintenance replacement windows; Silver Line vinyl windows and patio doors; and American Craftsman vinyl windows and doors, which are sold exclusive through Home Depot.

• Sells internationally: Andersen sells windows in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and South America as well as in the United States.

• Large online library: Customers can read about how to choose the right products, how to install them and more on the company's website.

• Trains installers: Consumers must contract separately with third parties for installation, and Andersen offers certification in installing its products. The only exception is for Renewal replacement windows, which are installed by Andersen’s own group of highly trained contractors.

• Lots of options: Owners who want to create a custom look can easily mix and match shapes, materials and sizes from the large catalog of available windows.

• Online parts store: Owners who want to repair or replace windows and doors can find and purchase parts online through this company's website.

• Best for: Andersen Windows are best for homeowners, do-it-yourselfers, condo owners, landlords, business owners, and anyone interested in energy-efficient, well-built windows and doors.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Andersen Windows Company Information