1.25/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

226 Andersen Windows Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

Was just give a quote for $48,000 for 3 patio doors. ($16,000 each) by Renewal by Andersen. After all "great" discounts including 5% if you buy it now, still $13,000 each. Granted the patio doors are 12 foot wide (4 panels), but charging $13,000 for a sliding door, they must be the doors to heaven?

Original review: July 7, 2018

So disappointing, horrible company, horrible product. I purchased a new home 14 years ago. 9 years later after buying the house my windows were falling apart, at the bottom of the sash, exterior portion. I called Anderson Windows, they transferred me several times and eventually I found out that the windows only carry a 10 year warranty. They told me I was out of luck because the windows were now 10 years old. I told them I only had the brand new house with brand new Anderson Windows for 9 years, they told me the windows must have been in the warehouse for 2 years.

After quite a bit of annoying conversation I told them I would contact an attorney about this at which point they transferred my call again and a nasty lady came on and seemingly taking notes asking me again about the situation. She said she would get back to me but never did. Since that time I have had several bottom sashes completely rot out. There is no other alternative but to purchase an entire new window for $250, while just the bottom sash needs replacement and I am certain I am not the only one with this problem as they now refer you to local companies, rude companies, greedy companies, charging thousands of dollars for this service, you can't talk to Anderson about this anymore.

Fortunately I'm a pretty good carpenter and have a miter saw. I have been able to fabricate this part, quite easily out of a nice piece of oak, some paint and some good glue. There is definitely planned obsolescence here and there should be some sort of recall by the government, required. They knowingly (10 year warranty shortened to 8 years), fabricate the window out of a very, very soft wood then cover it with a thin vinyl, the vinyl does not block moisture, it just looks nice and shiny when new.

Furthermore the hardware is breaking inside the window, a 10 cent piece but you have to purchase the entire lifting mechanism for to get to the 10 cent piece and quite a sum of money. Now, one by one, the sashes are rotting and the hardware is breaking all around the house. I have 27 of these windows and it would cost me roughly $10,000 to replace all the windows over the next few years.

It is noteworthy that my mother has a house almost 100 years old, in the city, which still has the original windows. Sure she has them painted every 15 years or so but they are still strong and will last another 100 years without any doubt. So, why would anybody, especially Anderson, make a window that would last less than 10 years? I think we all know the answer. Never again Anderson Windows or products. If I ever buy a house and it has Anderson Windows, I will not buy that house. Hope this helps people.

Get expert buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2018

The salespeople are con artist and the prices are inflated. I received a bill for services not yet performed and this was not discussed with me. When I called I was told that the bill was for the down payment. I was never told that I was going to be billed for the down payment, in fact I asked the sales person about the down payment and was made to believe that it was not necessary.

I would have paid the down payment instead of being billed at 6.66%. I can still pay this off and avoid the interest charges. However, the point is that I should have been given the option and I was not. Also, the guy who arrived at my home to measure removed molding and did not put it back properly. I was supposed to come and measure, this had nothing to do with removal of molding. I will watch anyone very closely who comes into my home moving forward. Stay away from Andersen Windows, they are con artist and a ripoff. Maybe branches are okay, but the branch that I dealt with was in Middletown, NY.

Original review: June 30, 2018

My house was built in 1956 using heavy aluminum windows that still work fine, but I know an upgrade would save energy costs. So when a door to door canvasser stopped in, I was okay with an estimate. The appointment was cancelled twice, then the very pushy sales rep came out. Unbelievable experience and a total waste of my time. Price for 12 windows in a 1500 SF house? $35,000. As the sales pitch went on, the pressure and the dumb comments only got worse. I feel like I was being taken as a total fool and a victim of this sort of sleazy sales tactic. I did get one thing out of this - a good laugh with friends over the price quoted. What a flaming scam!

Original review: June 28, 2018

A door to door salesperson for Andersen Windows visited this evening at 7:30 pm (too late!) as we have a 2 small kids and were just getting ready to put them to bed. We have one window showing wood rot so I went ahead and attempted to schedule a follow-up appointment. The salesperson had to pass my information on to an office person over the phone, then the person on the phone spoke with me to say when the next available appointment is. I was available for the appointment but my husband was not because of work. They said they cannot schedule the appointment unless both homeowners are there. I said it's not possible because he works the next 4 weekends and I work Monday through Friday.

We are rarely both here with time for an appointment like this (I mentioned we have 2 small kids right?). They refused to meet me and passed on my business citing it's their company policy to meet with all homeowners because they provide a custom assessment and it is easier if everyone is here at the same time. So we didn't make the appointment and I will never make an appointment with Andersen, ever. I believe it's possible they didn't want to meet with me because I'm the woman of the house and not the man of the house. I believe it is possible the company practices outright discrimination against women when there is a man who is a co-owner of a home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Andersen Windows?

Original review: June 27, 2018

Completely disappointed in Anderson Windows! My husband and I bought Anderson Windows for our entire house 6 years ago. I clean my windows regularly, however, within the first two years of buying the windows ("A-Series" which is their "top of the line") we noticed water stains along the bottom ridge of the upper window. I spoke to my contractor, who completely recommended these windows, showed him the staining and together we tried to remove the stains with no luck. My contractor advised me to call the Anderson Representative to show him. After calling a few times, the representative called me back and scheduled an appointment to see the staining and the screens which were installed with the windows, and were now literally falling apart.

He ordered new replacement screens and told me to use Soft Scrub to get the stains off since he had no luck removing the stains either. I was afraid the Soft Scrub would damage the windows further, and asked him to try it on the windows, at which point he did, and had zero luck. The screens were replaced, but the staining remains. I called the rep continuously over the next two years, but received no response. I then called the local distributor for Anderson here in South Jersey, who sent men out to look at the windows. They deemed it necessary to replace one and recommended using this spray to try to get the stains out. After replacing the window, I called the Anderson Hotline to request that they look at the stains and pay the supplier for his work.

ANDERSON DID NOTHING FOR ME OR THE SUPPLIER! After being on the phone for LITERALLY two hours, (plus being put on hold for 20 minutes twice), texting pictures of the stains, measuring and telling the story, Anderson told me that they are not responsible for the windows. That this is not covered under their warranty and "it's not a manufacturing problem". The most insulting part of this entire encounter, was when the one Anderson Representative, MARK, told me to "put a little more elbow grease into it when you wash them"! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT BUY THESE WINDOWS!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I recently had a gentleman come over and he showed me what they could do with the windows I wanted removed. He gave me a price and told me that they would Email the contract. Well after two weeks of stewing on the price I realized that I could not afford what they were selling me. I never received a contract. I could not read the specifics about the contract. The man that came to see me told me I was too late to cancel. He told me that I only had three days to cancel. I did not know this, I never received the contract to read over and he did not tell me that when he was there.

I told him I could not afford what he was selling. He had me sign an iPad. He also had me sign a second one and now I am being billed by Green Sky for $6800.00 for one window. That is still too much money. I was told by this man if I wanted to cancel it would cost me $4000.00 to cancel. Till this date I have not received a contract even for one window. I think I was preyed on by this man because I just lost my husband and I'm trying to deal with that. I only have social security coming in. I can't afford these windows.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I purchased 48 doors and windows for one of my projects. This is my first experience with Andersen's products, and it turned out to be a terrible experience. First, the products' qualities were poor. Three windows were warped within 6 months of the installation, and one was jammed. I called Andersen to report the problems, the service rep gave me a long list of information I need to send in along with the photos of the defected products. I asked if they have service personnel that can come to look at defect and provide appropriate replacement or repair. She said they never send out anyone. The products' qualities are poor and customer service is terrible. Will never use any Andersen products for my future projects.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My father worked in the construction field and do remodeling on my parent’s home. Unfortunately he was under the impression that Andersen Window Company manufactured a quality window. Now approximately 25 years later many of the windows around their home are exploding for no known reason. When the Andersen Window company was contacted they admitted knowing about the issue and apologized but stated the glass in their windows was only covered for 20 years and we were past the coverage period. There are probably 20 Andersen windows throughout their home. Each window has two panes. The replacement cost is over $200 per window. Enough said. We are not happy campers.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I placed an order on the website for a replacement door handle for my storm door on the 23rd of May. I received a confirmation email that read, "Your order will be processed and shipped within 1 to 4 business days. We will send you a shipment confirmation once your order leaves our warehouse..." I received a 2nd email the same evening letting me know my product had shipped with a tracking number provided." Shipped Date: 5/23/2018 Ship Method: Ground. Shipping Company: UPS 800-782-7892 http://www.ups.com"

I have yet to receive my door handle. I go to check the tracking number and it says "A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status - including the scheduled delivery date - will be updated." My order was never shipped on the 23rd per the email. I called customer service and talked to a guy that says to me 'Generally, your order is shipped within 4-5 business days from the date of the shipping email.' That would have been yesterday. And then he says to give it until Monday to see if the tracking number will generate any movement results. The worst! I told him I'll give it until Monday, but after that I will be contacting Amex to dispute these charges. And then we'll just buy another manufacturer's door because if I'm going through this for a handle, I can only imagine the debacle a whole door would bring!

Original review: May 23, 2018

My husband and I are updating our small Southern California cottage, literally 4 windows. The living room picture window is large, so we expected a higher cost. The temps in San Diego County get hot in the summer and we want to be more energy efficient. I work in the Construction industry for over two decades and I am familiar with getting 3 quotes and choosing the best product, installation and price. Lowest price doesn't always mean best.

We were told to allow at least 90 minutes for the quote, which we thought was a long time to look at our windows, listen to what we are looking for, etc., but we allowed the time out of respect for the salesperson. He arrived with all these window samples and frame samples (along with what competitors use). He measured the windows, got his iPad out, we went outside and he looks at our living room window and asks, "Does this side of the building get wet when it rains?" Well of course the outside of the building will get wet when it rains. He then goes onto to say how they need to add and extra reinforcement for their frame.

I told him we are looking at Low E windows, want a retrofit to match existing neighbors and because I live in an HOA. Well our salesman didn't listen to what we wanted, the consumer, and priced up 4 windows with Smart Glass to the tune of $12,000!!! He also didn't have nice things to say about any competitors, which I didn't care to listen about and only compared Andersen windows to Vinyl windows, which is not what we were ever going to look at. Then came the almost Timeshare sales pitch of, "You have to but today and sign to get this price"... he shows my husband and I what the price would be, less a Nationwide discount (of what we are not sure) and an additional $995 discount by signing that day or lose the discount.

My husband and I both said that for $9K purchase, we need time to review the quote and decide what's best for us. Again trying to pressure us into the sale that day, I asked him to email the quote so we could review and would get back to him. It was insulting to get the "quote" as just a snapshot of the page from his iPad with no cost breakdown for materials, labor etc. Also, one of the whole reasons Renewal by Andersen was one of our choices for a quote was they offered a buy one window get one for 40% off. Well, by the "quote" we received, we couldn't make an intelligent review of unknown costs compared to other window installers. After finding this website, I am certainly glad I reviewed them here before the purchase.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I built my home in 1978. I was a builder and worked with my father who was also a licensed contractor. We built a number of homes in the mid Michigan area. At that time Anderson windows had a reputation as being the best available. We must have installed over 100 of them. The most popular window being the Anderson Perma-Shield. These were wood-vinyl clad slider windows. They had a 25 year warranty. These windows were properly leveled and installed with proper flashing to Anderson specs. We never had any insulation complaints. If there was a problem they were referred to Anderson. If you never open a window, then you probably would never have a complaint.

After 2 years of owning these windows, the windows would not slide properly. They would stick in the tracks and jam in the slides. After numerous attempts to contact Anderson through the years about this problem, Anderson told me that we make a spray to make the window slide easier and we know we have a problem with these clad windows as the wood swells from condensation between the vinyl clad and the wood, therefore we will be discontinuing Anderson Perma-shield windows. Really nice after paying over 10k in those days. One of the windows had a distorted pane and Anderson refused to replace it until I threatened them with a suit. They then sent a representative out that called their company and explained that the window glass, did have a problem.

As time went by, I replaced the severe problem windows with Anderson crank outs. I owned these about 10 years and have 2 of them with broken crank outs. They probably were opened and closed 20 times in 10 years. I am very lucky to have these windows as I can still purchase the crank mechanisms, but that is it because all other parts have been discontinued. As far as the Perma-shield windows nothing is available and haven't been available for about 10 years. So, Anderson has a great gimmick. Buy their windows, with a great warranty and we will discontinue that model after a few years and get out of any warranty. Don't waste your time and money with the best windows made. Buy the 2nd best windows made and you will not only be happier, but a little richer.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I built my home myself in 1982. I was advised to get Andersen Windows, wood inside, white cladding on outside, screens and snap in grids. Zero problems in 38 years. All excellent condition. Even my Andersen sliding glass door is still like new condition. I am building an addition now and see the warranties and articles saying windows expected life is only like 20 years. I don't know what type my new 8 windows will be yet as the prices are very high now. By the way, I am in Ohio with extreme hot and cold weather.

Original review: May 3, 2018

An Andersen door lock failed and I attempted to contact an authorized repair through their website -- there was only ONE in Brea, CA and the next near San Diego. We are in Newport. I finally made contact with an Andersen chat person and determined that the part was available through them (repair in Brea did not have part) and ordered it. There is no way to ask for expedited shipping nor any way to check for the website gives you a message "ONLINE ORDER TRACKING IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR ORDERS PLACED BY PHONE." I did not call my order in, I ordered it on their website.

I called Andersen and they told me how long it takes depends on the part. Gave him the part, my order number, etc. and he still could not give an answer. When your door lock is broken, you want fast, reliable repair and or parts. You get neither with Andersen. And oh, if you are looking for the parts store you'll find it on Parts.Andersenstormdoors not Andersenparts. I guess they are just interested in selling doors and windows not service and parts. ONLINE ORDER TRACKING IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR ORDERS PLACED BY PHONE.

Original review: April 10, 2018

John from your office has contacted me and has reached out to Andersen Renewal to resolve our problem and I would like to report to you the following situation in sequence of events so you know why we are so upset with Andersen Window Corporation. I was told by John that Renewal Andersen is the same company as Andersen Corporation, same product lines and just a lower division: Your Renewal salesman came to our house sold us the windows with a sample that he brought with him that I can easily open and close. I mentioned that the main reason for replacing the windows is because I'm small, I have a bad shoulder and it was too hard for me to open the old windows. He did NOT disclosed that the actual windows that we ordered will be much harder to open and close than his sample window. Even the strong installation crew agreed with us during the installation our large windows were hard to open.

Installation #1: When the windows arrived and were partially installed, I noticed the how hard they were to open/close compared to the sample window. I was disappointed and very upset that the salesman never disclosed this information to us, especially when I told him I had a bad shoulder. The salesman came and showed us alternatives, but there were few choices and we realized that at that point we were stuck with the double hung windows. The large casement style would require a big divider in the center and block too much light inside. We did change two smaller windows to the casement style and ordered those. I realized that it was a big mistake to purchase the Andersen window.

Installation #2: The two casement windows were ordered and arrived after a very long wait. We spent much time preparing the rooms and took off work to be home during the installation. When installation crew arrived they told us the windows were too large. I requested to have the larger size installed anyway because we had already spent so much time waiting and preparing for the installation, but no one at Renewal Andersen was willing to help. I escalated the issue to your office by sending an email on March 5th.

John from your office reached out to Renewal Andersen and I was contacted by Ryan ** who settled with me and my husband for $3k due to the past problems and assured me that he will take full responsibility from this point on and assured that he will oversee the project and make sure that nothing bad will happen again. He said that my casement windows were ordered and will be ready for installation on March 27th. We signed the addendum (see attached on March 27th installation indicated on the document).

Installation #3: My husband and I had a lot of anticipation to get this windows project completed so we can once and for all clean and organize the chaotic mess in our house since the window project last year. On March 27th, we both took off work waiting for installation. NO Renewal Andersen came and no one called. I called Ryan ** at 9:04 AM and left a message. He called back and said he had no idea but will get back to me. My husband and I waited and wasted the entire day (took off our work) and Ryan ** finally call back almost end of day and said no install, and changed it to Thursday 3/29 morning.

Installation #4: On Thursday Renewal Andersen came and brought in the new windows. We told them to check the windows carefully due to past mistakes. They said the size was correct and started installing them. Unfortunately they had already removed one window before we realized it did not match the other windows in our house, so they partially installed the first window and left.

I contacted Ryan ** and reported the issue to him. Ryan ** said that the windows will need to be reordered again which means another long delay. Ryan ** said the wrong windows were not his fault, but the fault of Andersen. In the meantime the partial window installation is not sealed and watertight! Not only Ryan failed us twice and caused so much anguish (3/27 installation no-show and 3/39 wrong window), but he had the audacity to NOT take any of the responsibility and blamed it on the manufacturer. The benefit of buying Andersen windows from Andersen Renewal is because you are the same parent corporation, so why does he not take responsibility and blame it on the manufacturer? These are very expensive windows and I was hoping and expecting better service and support.

On Friday Ryan ** called me and he claimed that he was with other people in management. The call did not go well. Ryan started to bully me and said he didn't need to do anything for me because there was nobody else for me to talk to. At the end he and I were in a screaming match and I had to end the phone call. It was just so ridiculous how he failed to take responsibility and instead tried to bully me and suppress me so that no one will know about the mistakes and misrepresentations.

My husband and I are livid to say the very least. At this point we do not trust Renewal Anderson. The salesman used samples that were a misrepresentation of the actual products and the management does NOT stand by the products, instead blaming the manufacturer. We have expressed our disappointment and anguish to our neighbors. We also are members of Nextdoor with thousand neighborhoods online to share information in the peninsula and greater bay area. We feel the need to report our Renewal Andersen experience with our neighborhood group and will call 'Channel 7 on your side' regarding our story. We just do not want another family to go through this AWFUL experience again!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I purchased over $35,000 in windows with a lifetime warranty. Warranty is that I have to pay someone to come out to see the defective windows and pay someone to replace them. Don't buy these crappy windows with a joke of a warranty.

Original review: March 25, 2018

My wife and I purchased a nearly 100-year old home in July 2017 primarily because we loved many of the original details. While we loved the original windows, many did not work and we wanted to have them replaced. After doing some research, we eventually contacted Renewal by Andersen and had a salesperson come to our house in August 2017. Throughout the two-hour plus sales pitch, the salesperson stressed Andersen's quality, customer service, and commitment to customer satisfaction. After being told that we only could receive a certain discount if we ordered that night, we agreed to order 11 custom windows from Renewal by Andersen (and thereafter added two more) for a total cost of $30,000. We were promised installation in October 2017, well before winter set in for us in Buffalo, NY.

Only weeks before our installation was to occur, we received a call from Renewal by Andersen explaining that there had been manufacturing errors with our windows and that our installation would have to be delayed by a month until November 2017. Realizing that the month delay would take us to Thanksgiving, the installation was delayed until December 2017. As the installation date approached, we again were contacted by Renewal by Andersen to explain that yet more manufacturing errors had occurred. We were pressured to proceed with the December 2017 date as scheduled and told that the defective windows should be installed and then replaced at a separate service call. We reluctantly agreed, as we were eager to have the new windows installed before the holidays and before winter set in.

Renewal by Andersen proceeded to install the windows in December 2017. In addition to installing the defective windows we advised would be installed, Andersen also installed a window with cracked glass. Very unsatisfied, we contacted Renewal by Andersen. All we received was another in what would be a long line of hollow apologies and an explanation that the issue would have to be fixed at yet another service call. As also would be a familiar response, we were told that there was "nothing else" Renewal by Andersen could do. In addition to the cracked glass, the installation team was not provided with the required molding to place around two picture windows we had ordered. Renewal by Andersen yet again offered a hollow apology and looked to schedule another service call.

After receiving further excuses about manufacturing errors and other delays, we scheduled service to remedy all issues in January 2018. These issues included three defective windows and installing molding that was not provided to the installation team when they came to install the windows. Things only continued to get worse as we were informed days before the service call that there were more manufacturing errors and delays and that all items could not be addressed at the January 2018 service call. Instead of splitting up one service call into two service calls as pressured to do by Renewal by Andersen, we asked Renewal by Andersen to complete everything at one service call so that my wife and I did not have to take off any additional time from work. This service call was scheduled for March 12, 2018.

I will note that my wife and I both are professionals with busy schedules and cannot easily take time off of work. Renewal by Andersen, however, did not seem to care and insisted that all work had to take place between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. This was in spite of the fact that my wife and I both had taken full days off of work for the original December 2017 install and the January 2018 service call that never happened. Feeling we had no other option, my wife and I each took off March 12, 2018 for what we hoped would be the final service call. We sadly were wrong.

The installer showed up on March 12, 2018 with windows that looked worse than the windows they were to replace and was not provided with the correct amount of molding to complete the molding around our picture windows. The installer was able to convince us that some of the windows that were installed were the best possible result and we accepted that. What we did not accept, however, was the replacement window that was installed with chips and scratches. We again voiced our disapproval to Renewal by Andersen and again received a hollow apology and again were told, "there is nothing we can do." Yet another service call was scheduled for the following week to address the still outstanding issues.

At this service call, the installer was able to fix the chipped and scratched window but proceeded to install molding that had noticeable gaps on the corners. Renewal by Andersen's solution? Yet another service call scheduled for March 24, 2018. After receiving absolutely no help from our local service office, we decided to reach out to Renewal by Andersen's Corporate Office. Not surprisingly, its "customer service" line was an answering machine. A message left on March 12, 2018 still has not been returned. We also called Andersen (the parent company of Renewal by Andersen) on March 16, 2018 in an effort to speak to an actual person. While a couple individuals from scheduling were willing to speak with us, feigned concern, and promised a response, we have not received a call back from them either.

Our nightmare finally ended on March 24, 2018 when the installer finally completed the molding around our second picture window. As noted in this review, Renewal by Andersen was glad to accept our $30,000, but was not glad to address any of our issues, which really were its own issues with poor quality and poor customer service. We received only hollow apologies and consistently were told that there was "nothing" Renewal by Andersen could do. We also received no follow-up from customer service after expressing our dissatisfaction and concerns on multiple occasions. This seven-month ordeal resulted in my wife and I each taking multiple days off of work to accommodated Renewal by Andersen because they did nothing to accommodate us. We do not feel that any other homeowner should have to go through this experience and strongly would recommend any company other than Renewal by Andersen.

Original review: March 17, 2018

We notated Renewal by Anderson about a month and a half ago and some sales person had no problem coming right out to talk us into getting the windows. We liked what he was saying at first. But after he left we talked about and felt we were pressed into signing something we ready didn't understand. We tried calling our sales person Dave ** and got no call back for a day or two. Then I keep calling, then he finally answered and said his father had a heart attack, when I said I wanted to talk to him about changing things he said he couldn't talk now because of his father.

So I waited and nothing from him. Then one day a guy came out to measure the windows and I told him I haven't heard from the sales person and I was feeling uneasy about the whole deal. He said just let me measure the windows you want me to because otherwise he came here for nothing. I told him nothing is final until I talk to our sales person. I even called Renewal by Anderson and asked for a different salesperson more willing to help us. I heard nothing for weeks and forgot about everything.

And just by happen to call last week and talked to Dave ** and he said he went to Florida for his father, he said nothing about him dying. He agreed to come to our house last Saturday or call and Saturday. Nothing. And haven't talked to him since. Then I got a call from Renewal by Anderson saying they wanted to bring the windows I had measured, and I said 3 or 4 times I don't want anything delivered to my house without talking to the salesperson Dave ** and still nothing, they didn't even tell me how much the 3 windows I had measured even cost.

Then today I got a bill in the mail for a place I never heard of saying I owed them over $5000 for something I never received. I called and call and text and emailed Dave ** and finally texted me back, not call me like I asked and said it was too late to change my mind about the three windows because I signed a contract then started having a attitude about his father dying which I didn't know. He wanted to argue on a text so I asked him to leave me alone. Please.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have a set of Anderson dual swing patio doors in terratone color that have Anderson's known delamination issue. They offered us a 50% discount on replacement doors. I just called them today to order replacement doors and now they won't honor their own recall. There is no way I will pay $2500 to replace the panes when I can replace the entire doors with something better for the same price. Worthless company.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Our original French doors arrived damaged. Andersen replaced the damaged panels, but ever since then the doors haven't worked correctly. They firmly stick to the threshold, and have to be lifted and shoved open using our shoulders. (I am 66 with arthritis, so it's not an easy task!) Andersen has sent authorized door people who have adjusted the doors several times. They still don't work. They now will replace the hinges and defective panel (door), but expect us to pay for the installation. Which will cost us about $400. The doors are under warranty, but we need to pay??? We are very disappointed!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

In 2007 I spent 7K on double French exterior doors for our back door to our patio. Since the first year, the hardware in these doors has been problematic. The locking mechanisms jam and the actuator has been replace multiple times. Once the door jammed so badly we could not exit the rear of the house using it until a locksmith arrived. The hardware spring in a handle broke today and I have called a custom door maker to come out and bid on replacing the Andersen product. The design of the locking mechanisms run the full height internally to the door so using replacement hardware from another manufacturer is not an option. The door has not been able to be locked for more than a year and I installed slide bolts on the inside of the doors to make them secure.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Ok, do not buy from this company. I had 5 windows installed and paid over $9,000! I recently found out that I was charged more than double of what I should have been. But being a single woman, what do I know about windows. Being total taken advantage of! Lesson learned. The sales rep refused to answer my emails, I requested a breakdown cost of each window and never received it. He told me that they don't receive commission but I find that hard to believe now. The sales rep told me to have all the windows changed out in my home would be $30,000!!! I do have to say the installers were great, did a great job, friendly and very professional. The cost is outrageous!!! Not worth that kind of money.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have a nine-year-old house with all Andersen windows. My kitchen has a very large very expensive architectural window that developed a crack on the inside pane all the way across it. Having a 10-year warranty I called them to have it repaired. They tell me that it must have been a bad piece of glass and that they only pay for the glass. I will have to pay to have it installed at the cost of $450.00. They try to act like they are standing behind their windows boasting a ten-year warranty. Corporate greed is what they are about making a profit off of their faulty product. If you are going to put in a big window in your new home to enjoy the view I would buy another brand unless you want a big crack to look at or a big repair bill. They told me that my window was built in Canada not the United States another reason not to buy their product.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We got 90% of our windows changed from Renewal by Andersen. Windows don't let sun heat come through, our whole house is now more colder than before. Our previous windows were 29 years old. They had condensation in them and also were not soundproof. So we thought of changing them. Labor was quick to install windows in 2 days and also vacuumed the mess. But it's winter and our heater is working more and air has become dry because there is no sun warmth to heat up the home from inside. I wish I could get back my old windows.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018 I have installed several Andersen 400 double hung windows. I install myself so do take extra care in the installation. I have not had any trouble with air leaks, screens not fitting, etc. I am completely satisfied with them. Since I have no complaints, I have no experience with warranty problems as others in the reviews.

It is my opinion that problems arise when they are not installed correctly as directed by Andersen.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Installed Series 600 windows in 2015 in a new construction home. Fighting condensation problems inside of the window edges when the temperature drops below 25. I keep the inside humidity about 40% according to National healthy conditions. Andersen says 25% so the windows will not condensate. This 25% is unhealthy humidity. Every time I call Andersen Windows it falls on deaf ears. My argument is with today’s technology why do Andersen Windows still use aluminum seal between the panes is of glass. Aluminum is the best conductor of thermal transfers there is. What cools quicker in your fridge!!! Aluminum can of beverage or a glass bottle. I have called for a representative several times to my residence. Still waiting since 2015. To you buyers that even thinking of Andersen Windows. Do your research.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We purchased thousands of dollars worth of windows from Andersen Windows. After installation and all protective sheeting removed we noticed several large scratches on the windows and they are all in between the panes, which proves we didn’t do it. The screens don’t fit correctly leaving gaps where bugs come in and one of the latches also doesn’t work. They gave us another set of screens which also don’t fit and don’t know what else to say.

They inspected the scratches and said they would replace the glass in 2 of the 7 damaged windows but didnt think it was necessary to fix the other 5. These are large picture windows and we see these scratches all the time. Our concern is them not sealing properly after they pulled the glass out and put the new glass in and the damage they will do pulling the wood trim off to get to the glass. These are 5 & 6 ft windows and the scratches extend halfway through some of them. They admitted it must have happened in the factory but that’s all they would do. Nothing has been settled and it’s been a year now. Very disappointed in a company that is supposed to be so good and won’t back their product.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I don't need replacement windows and I don't want 30 emails a day telling me that I do. Tried unsubscribing to no avail. Tried contacting them directly to no avail. In the unlikely event I will ever need new or replacement windows, I will never use this company because of their invasive emails.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Built our home in 1992, installed Andersen windows throughout. The double-panel windows fixed are custom made and are not functioning due to the panes closing in on each other. A technician came out and drilled holes in the outer pane and supposedly fixed the window by “pulling” it out or releasing it and silicon filled the hole. Not a single window is repaired. We were scammed by Andersen when we need every defective outer pane replaced.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We bought a spec home in Michigan, four years ago. It was a higher end home, so we thought it was pretty well built. A bit surprised that our windows did not tilt in for cleaning. After a year or two I called the builder about our bedroom being cold and condensation and ice on our windows, which was then causing mold to form. I was forwarded to Andersen, with not much success.

Over the last 4 years my wife’s cough has gotten worse and my daughters room runs 5-7 degrees colder than the rest of our house, so she is always sick too. I used to live in Maine and never had problems like this. After multiple attempts to contact the builder, supplier and window manufacturer, with no luck, we finally had to spend $32k to replace all our windows and slider. Once my realtor got involved, it did actually get the builder and supplier out, but both said not their issue.

The windows didn’t stop the heat from a heat lamp from coming thru, so they said the gases were gone. Which would explain the cold and why it is so hot during the summer. There also is not a good latch, so we could push up and down on the window when they were closed, so thus not a good seal on the back of the window stopping hot or cold air from coming in. So that probably explains the condensation. The frame was also not insulated with filler, so the top window sat outside of our wall, so air might have been able to come around through the frame. Overall amazed that we just replaced all or our windows in a 4 year old house. I always thought of Andersen as a good brand. I don’t feel that way anymore. I’ll probably never buy an Andersen window again.

Not sure about Andersen Windows?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Windows and Doors for you.

Andersen Windows expert review by Joseph Truini

The Andersen Corporation is the largest door and window manufacturer in the United States. The company has been in business since 1903.

• Wide product offering: Andersen designs and manufacturers an extensive line of high-performance, energy-efficient windows and doors. It has four brands: Andersen vinyl-clad wood windows and patio doors; Renewal by Andersen, a line of low-maintenance replacement windows; Silver Line vinyl windows and patio doors; and American Craftsman vinyl windows and doors, which are sold exclusive through Home Depot.

• Sells internationally: Andersen sells windows in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and South America as well as in the United States.

• Large online library: Customers can read about how to choose the right products, how to install them and more on the company's website.

• Trains installers: Consumers must contract separately with third parties for installation, and Andersen offers certification in installing its products. The only exception is for Renewal replacement windows, which are installed by Andersen’s own group of highly trained contractors.

• Lots of options: Owners who want to create a custom look can easily mix and match shapes, materials and sizes from the large catalog of available windows.

• Online parts store: Owners who want to repair or replace windows and doors can find and purchase parts online through this company's website.

• Best for: Andersen Windows are best for homeowners, do-it-yourselfers, condo owners, landlords, business owners, and anyone interested in energy-efficient, well-built windows and doors.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Andersen Windows Company Information

1903
Bayport
MN
www.andersenwindows.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business