Andersen Windows

Compare Window & Door Companies

Research top Window & Door Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Spent a ton of money on 1 door and 1 window. One part on the door was selling off the next day! We were told everything would be stained, it wasn't! A huge pain in the butt and poor quality for paying top price!

We had the builder purchase 60 Andersen windows and 3 sliding doors after reading reviews and recommendations 26 years ago. Since that time we had a number of casement windows fail creating a haze between the glass panes. We had someone come out and check them and we were told that the windows were warped causing the gas to escape. Of course they were out of warranty. We had one large casement window cracked several years ago during the winter. I called customer service and was told that we were out of warranty.

They offered a slight discount for that replacement. And now, while sleeping at 4am we heard a loud popping noise in our bathroom, one of the clear Andersen side windows to the large picture window cracked into many small pieces. It did not look like anything hit it. It was the inside pane. The temperature outside was about 41 degrees. I have to wonder which window will be next. I would never recommend Andersen Windows to anyone.

I hired a contractor to replace a 12 foot sliding door with a set of two side lights and a french door from the Anderson 400 series. The exterior color I ordered was specified as white. When the door was installed, I was dismayed to see that the color looked to be "ivory" as was not nearly as bright as the other doors and windows in my home, including some Anderson products I'd had put in a few years earlier. When I called to ask about this, the salesperson at Home Depot told me it is because Anderson uses Alabaster for the "white" of the new construction products and bright white for the "white" of the replacement series products. Never in my wildest dreams would I have assumed there would be two different shades of white being used and since my contractor was doing the work, had he known, I'd not have expected him to recommend a door that wouldn't match.

The color difference is very noticeable and given the cost of this, I'm extremely dissatisfied. The sales person at Home Depot tried to help by contacting Anderson and he was told, "That is just the way it is, we won't do anything to correct it." So once again, buyer beware. You can't assume your Anderson product color will match other door/window companies, or even their own products from a few years ago. I feel like I have wasted $5500.00 because of the eyesore this has made of the back of my home. Everyone I have shown the photo too has noticed the color variation (top of balcony appears ivory in photo attached compared to the bottom set in the lower balcony which is bright white) and assumed I was sent the wrong exterior color. My contractor says he can make it look better with bright white trim, but he is not fully finished, so this is yet to be seen.

I have never been so upset with sales pressure! After receiving a quote of $7800.00 to replace 4 standard size windows I choose to add an additional bathroom... If that didn't get thru their head they continued by asking how many windows I have and how much money I'd save by replacing them! Adam the person that would not take no for an answer was so rude!!! I have about 22 windows and if 4 cost $1800 each 23 would have cost... We'll do the math... I guess Andersen renewal with all the bad reviews just got another!!!

Wow! We just had 3 very large windows and a patio door replaced by Renewal by Andersen. Visits by the rep and measuring team leading up to this date were informative, accurate and professional. Installation by John and Trevan were also top quality. We have a log home and this was their first installation of this type and they did a great job, making adjustments on the fly to fit the situation. Beautiful work, great team! Loving the quality of the products too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Andersen Windows?

Twice now I've order the Kit Sweep fin online and in both cases the service is really excellent. The part is delivered to my door in Winnipeg with no delivery cost at all. I'm impressed to have an $8.00 item delivered for free.

We had a window installed in the master bedroom and each year since we have frost 3 inches in height on the inside of the window when the temperature drops in the teens and below. We have raised the issue the company on four occasions and technicians send to our house each year (2015, 2016, 2017) have not resolved the issue. As the work is done late in the winter there is no way to validate if this solved the issue that season. The following winter we call again and technicians again make an alteration. In February 2017 the installation supervisor, Brian ** came to the house and could find any reason for the frost (the company agrees there is frost on the window and I have photos of the frost).

I asked that the window be replaced, Mr ** said we could not justify that action and suggested we (1) leave the shade up at night or (2) keep the temperature in the room higher at night. We regard each of these solutions as non-starters. We have 2 other windows in the room (different manufacturer and they do not have frost). I have made repeated calls to Andersen and to their corporate headquarters and finally spoke to a Greg ** (mid-February) who assured me my complaint would be addressed within a few days. No response was ever received. Likewise my calls to Mr ** the installation supervisor were never responded to when I left a message. Recently I contacted Better Business Bureau (BBB) to file a complaint. Andersen Windows has not responded to the BBB.

We purchased 4 Andersen Windows 4 years ago and did not realize the price of almost 8000 dollars. I misread the contract and the way it was written it did not make any sense to us and we do not know what we paid for. The hook was interest free financing but they over inflate the price so they make more money. We feel we were ripped off and deceived. Now I have to get a lawyer to fight. Not worth it. I am not going to pay the last 1800 dollars I owe. Let them hit my credit. I claimed bankruptcy once before.

My Andersen windows are falling apart after only 17 years. Company says sorry - out of warranty. I bought Andersen windows for my new home - they were supposed to be top of line. What a joke - they are pure junk. DO NOT BUY - WOOD ROTS OUT.

Purchase two screen doors for a patio slider and each time had to take back to home depot! Screens are defective as corners do not exactly come together and the screen looks tight but screen is out on the bottoms and sides in places! After two trips returning doors I called Andersen, spent 1 hour on phone describing the doors, having to physically tape measure door size, look for numbers on door, re-measure again as rep. Said he had other measurements and mine not right etc. etc. etc. And then be on hold -- came back to phone and said --- "We cannot replace this door as our complimentary rules are not an option." (Whatever that means.) In other words -- spent all that time just to be ignored and told, "Shove it!" End response -- "Take back to Home Depot for the *third* time!" -- Andersen difficult to deal with and said my complaint was to be filed (wonder where?). Andersen sucks!

I ordered a $4,000.00 custom made Andersen Oak patio door, it was delivered and looks like the following images, the side panels were loose and it was flush at the bottom and over 1/4 sticking up at the top. They are trying to tell me that is how it is supposed to look and won't do anything. I can't believe they think this is normal. I'm hoping someone who knows more about this than I do can take a look at the pictures and tell me if they think this is how this is supposed to look. I'm just sick over this whole deal.

Jeremy ** familiarized us with the variety of products available from Andersen and helped us choose products that fit our application. He also did the measurements which as it turned out were perfect. Sliding door and 3 windows were installed in about 4 1/2 to 5 hours and left sparkling. Our team, Boris, Nick ** and Valentin ** installed everything, cleaned up and hauled away the old windows and scraps. They even vacuumed and swept the garage! I believe the directions we were given to prepare our home for the installation sped up the procedure for all of us. Very professional, we are pleased.

My husband and I had a rep from Andersen come out. We were very excited and signed to have our deck doors replaced. Soon after we found my husband had serious kidney problems. I tried contacting our rep. We never had any work, measurements... Nothing. I tried to explain our situation, but Andersen still insisted on charging us because we went over allowed days to cancel. We tried to contact our rep... things were a little upsetting with our medical news. Andersen did absolutely nothing. Again other than the one day the rep came... we had no one else come out to measure for doors. They were not friendly or caring. We are paying for Nothing!!!

Andersen has been great supporting us through our journey we are having with their local dealer. We thought we purchased "top of the line replacement windows" and were sold new construction windows. We tried to do the best we could to install them and when the Andersen reps came out to look at the poor fit and windows not aligning, we were told we were sold the incorrect windows (nothing we did during installation). Went back to dealer and were given a small settlement (doesn't even equal the replacement of three windows and we purchased 11 windows, which we are still paying off!). We had to retrofit windows and add trim which doesn't match our home. We need to order correct windows for front of house so it looks half-way uniform -- which will cost us even more. We are just trying to keep our house looking nice.

I too bought 22 windows this year. I spent so much money for this to be such a bad experience. I wish I would have done more research. My windows are not completed in 3 weeks now. No one has been out to look over this project. I have told the office to have my sales rep call me. And I have tried calling him as well. I'm short one window and a screen was placed on my slide window already damaged. I spoke to them about these issues and nothing has been done thus far. I'm really disappointed in the level of professionalism they have shown so far. To be continued...

I called for a 9 window estimate on my house and was told it will take 1 to 1 1/2 hour presentation because I have to get back to work. It took them 2 hours and the pressure selling technique is way too nasty. Not only did the rep not shook our hands after, they are really not a typical sales rep where I came from. Will never deal with that company again.

Had several Andersen Windows installed in 1990 that were showing condensation on the room side of the inside pane of glass. Called customer service who gathered the necessary information from me and then walked me through troubleshooting the problem. The nice girl told me to take my time going through the proper steps of troubleshooting. Finally she reached the conclusion that the glass had warped and I would need to replace the sashes involved. There were 6 of them. She stated that because of the age of the windows, they would not be under warranty but the technical people would contact me within 2 business days and let me know the replacement cost.

Well 2 days later, they called, again explaining to me what the problem was and what they could do for me on the replacements since this appeared to be a manufacturer defect. I was very happy with the final outcome. He stated it would be about a week and a half before I would receive the replacement sashes. I would recommend Andersen Windows for beauty, cost, and A+ customer service.

November 2016 I had six Andersen 400 Series Woodwright Double Hung windows installed. Winter has arrived and I am finding them to be very drafty. There is frost on the inside of the window near where the upper and lower sash meet, indicating that cold air is leaking through at this point. I have older non Andersen windows in my house that do not have this condition. Also, I have been very disappointed with the lack of soundproofing these windows offer. Again, my older windows are much quieter. I am very disappointed with the Andersen Series 400 Woodwright windows.

Bought 22-23 new windows in 2010 and 2011. All the windows have become spotted. They have been cleaned with standard commercial store bought cleaners only. Both batches are spotting on the front surface. No instructions were given on special cleaning restrictions or requirements. They denied responsibility. They will replace one window to analyze. I have nine older Andersen windows which have been cleaned with the same technique and materials and not affected. I believe it is a product defect of the coating on the external surface. I am not willing to accept their reasoning. Their labs which can test them, independent of Andersen.

We purchased a newly built home in 2015. The first winter, we noticed that all our fixed pane windows have severe condensation problems, not on the glass where you would expect them, but in the corners, where the jambs meet the sill. We have ice build up in these corners. We have tried to adjust our humidity levels and even go below the levels suggested based on temperatures, and still have Ice build up and puddling. I called Andersen last winter and was told that the Andersen 100 windows were never meant to be used in MN. A representative from Andersen later came to our house and told us that the 100 Series was appropriate for MN winters. In my opinion, and from hearing from our neighbors who have the same windows, these 100 Series windows should not be put in MN homes.

Ordered replacement window at Home Depot. When picked up, it had been dented along the edge of the window. Home Depot ordered another 4 weeks later, go to pick it up. No window. Here Anderson says they will not replace the window and will only give me a replacement part. Not my problem. Why should I have to repair a replacement window I paid for? Not going to happen. Told H.D. to keep it. Will never order Anderson again, especially with the terrible quality of their replacement windows.

My husband and I built a new home this year and have been living here for only 6 months. We decided on Andersen 100 SERIES based on recommendations from builders and the building supply company staff. They really are junk! We noticed right away that they wobble Side to side in the frame. We were told that is on purpose so they can be cleaned easier. Two had broken latches - which a Service man did come and look at and then sent us new latches. Now fast forward 6 months... It is now December - All of our Windows have ice on the inside... even our Wood jams have ice, you can feel a cold breeze just standing next to any of them. The patio doors are just fine.

We called to the building supply and they gave us the Andersen contact. We called there and were given a runaround... They said they don't send a Service person out (not sure why this changed in the last few months), then tried to blame on humidity, curtains, and faulty installation. We did a humidity test - which is fine. We don't have curtains and the installation is not the issue - They are junk! I can't believe we spent over $10,000 On such junk and then Andersen will not even stand behind their own product. I could go on about the multiple Contacts we've made with their Customer service, but instead I have all the encounters written down in case we decide to pursue a different approach - I will not ever recommend these Windows to anyone and I plan to be very vocal about the awful Customer service. They seem to tell you what you want to hear, but once they have your money they no longer care!!!

I had purchased a custom color (Black) and expected an easy installation. Extensive assembly was required with me having to drill the door for the lock set. Drilled the hole in the wrong area. Owned up to the issue and contacted customer support asking solution as I must not have been the first to make the same error. Received lame ass assistance on the phone, and was told to email the organization. Was told that I would have to contact a senior account representative, at the same email address. Gave up trying to contact the organization as I got tired of their responses, and waited for them to follow up with me, which never happened.

I returned to Home Depot to see if they had parts to adapt and found an open box to review the parts, and looked at the display unit and found out that the header part, exterior door frame at top of door housing, was the incorrect size. Called to discuss my concerns and was again left on hold. Figured that I was going down the same path and cut loose. On a weather permitting basis, I am going to Lowe's and going to purchase a Larson BayBreeze Door to replace this pile of crap. I would strongly recommend that you not purchase the Series 2500 Door, unless you have several drinks and hire a contractor to install it. Do not walk away, but run away from Andersen.

Buyer beware! Never buy Andersen products! We paid $14,000.00 to have three sets of junky andersen doors installed in our home. The doors are garbage. The locking mechanisms are jammed. The gaskets fell off. The hinges are wobbly. The doors will not stay closed. Home depot claims they cannot get parts from andersen. Andersen customer service could not possibly care less and basically told me "tough luck". My sincere advice to all consumers is that you should never buy andersen products. Read the reviews and heed our warnings! You can never claim that you were not warned. Never buy andersen products!

Love how this door looks but doing DIY has been horrible! The instructions are the worst ever. Doesn't tell you much at all on how to properly install or check fit. We asked our builder friend to come and check it out. He was the one who told us how to adjust the wheels. Not the instructions. For the price we paid for this door we will be going to another maker when we build our living room. This isn't our first DIY, been doing them for 20 years and this door/maker's instructions really suck... Don't and won't recommend to anyone ever. Home Depot was great at getting the door here on time and the employees were a great help.

Less than a year ago I spent $6,500 on a set of Andersen 400 series French doors and a 2nd single 400 series door as well as matching screen doors. They are absolute garbage. I have replaced the screen piston mounting screws a dozen or so times because they keep breaking off, the outside door handle has fallen off numerous times and will not stay tight. About 10 months after purchase the latching mechanism began to fail and I would find the door open for no apparent reason.

After blaming people for leaving the door open or not latching it, I found that the latch would grab by about 1/16 and just bumping the door and a gust of wind would cause the door to open. I contacted Andersen customer service who gave me a file number for reference and emailed me a PDF document to locate the product ID code so I can provide it to customer service and have someone check out the doors.

The PDF is useless as it vaguely lists different places the product code may be. It may be etched in the glass, it may be on the door frame, but no definite explanation as to exactly where to find this code. I emailed this concern to customer service 2 days ago and still have not heard from them. In the meantime the door remains broken and I have to lock it every time I use it to keep it from opening on its own and my dog blasting through the screen door. What a waste of money. I thought I would spend the money to get a quality product but at the end of the day it is just overpriced and over-hyped garbage. The old junk door I replaced at least stayed shut.

We went into this with no expectations and an open mind. The thought that a sales person/consultant will be coming into our home to perform a routine sales act to gain commission was the first judgement mistake we made. This was far from that... The Consultant (Michael **) was prompt, well mannered, very detailed, extremely knowledgeable of the materials used on the windows, the manufacturing plants, along with the complete history of Andersen Windows as a whole...

Some may think that too much information is unnecessary, but they are wrong... Questions can be automatically answered if you allow the time to hear it from an actual person rather than a youtube video.

The consultation is a minimum 90 minutes, so I will suggest that you allow this time and more to get a clear understanding of the company you are investing in and allowing into your home. Having window experience as an installer and hearing the steps being taken during an installation was comforting with my family and I, as we have a new addition to our family/home (grandchild) and the demolition during this project was going to be a great concern.

Whether we were going forward with the final installation or not, I would definitely recommend anyone that needs a window/door improvement project to have a consultation with Andersen Windows. Quality material along with Number 1 customer service is the reward you will receive with Andersen Windows and my family and I greatly appreciate the time and efforts taken by the entire Andersen Team.

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! I purchased the 2500 series Andersen Storm door from a Big Box store. It is a completely cheap piece of garbage. Problems: Instructions are terrible with bad descriptions and wording that portrays building a nuclear submarine. KEEP IT SIMPLE ANDERSEN, it's just a screen door.

Screws that come with it are not the same bit size, and are inadequate for the job they should perform. I am a contractor and have years experience performing this type of work. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ANDERSEN PRODUCTS. I will never waste my money buying their junk products.

When we purchased 17 (big bucks) Anderson windows 40+ years ago. We were young and always researched the best available products. We were lead to believe that these windows were warranty for life. Now having problems with 2 thermo windows not being properly sealed between the panes, we are told that the warranty is only for 20 years. This is not only deception, I consider this fraud. We would strongly suggest that anyone not even consider buying Anderson Windows. Anderson doesn't really care about the consumer. I am now a 75 year old victim.

I have Andersen windows and doors throughout my house and so does my family. When we purchased them I thought that they produced a quality product that would last. I have a 400 series sliding door that rotted from the inside out. My door is one of many. When I removed the laminate from the door I could see that the wood piece used in this door was damaged. It was not flat or smooth and a chunk was missing where the door failed. It is simple science that if you have an air bubble on a laminate surface that is exposed to temperature changes the result is failure due to expansion/contraction and condensation due to temperature changes. This is a simple quality control fix and this piece of wood should never have been used.

Andersen offered to send me a replacement at a 50% discount, however, I can purchase the door at retail for less. They lack quality control and my door is one of many that simply could have been avoided with a visual check. I don't see how they can offer a 50% discount when I can purchase the door at retail for less. Shame on you Andersen! Do your homework people and don't let them take advantage of you! Where are the companies with integrity that you trust?

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

The Andersen Corporation is the largest door and window manufacturer in the United States. The company has been in business since 1903.

• Wide product offering: Andersen designs and manufacturers an extensive line of high-performance, energy-efficient windows and doors. It has four brands: Andersen vinyl-clad wood windows and patio doors; Renewal by Andersen, a line of low-maintenance replacement windows; Silver Line vinyl windows and patio doors; and American Craftsman vinyl windows and doors, which are sold exclusive through Home Depot.
  • Sells internationally: Andersen sells windows in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and South America as well as in the United States.
  • Large online library: Customers can read about how to choose the right products, how to install them and more on the company's website.
  • Trains installers: Consumers must contract separately with third parties for installation, and Andersen offers certification in installing its products. The only exception is for Renewal replacement windows, which are installed by Andersen’s own group of highly trained contractors.
  • Lots of options: Owners who want to create a custom look can easily mix and match shapes, materials and sizes from the large catalog of available windows.
  • Online parts store: Owners who want to repair or replace windows and doors can find and purchase parts online through this company's website.
  • Best for Andersen Windows are best for homeowners, do-it-yourselfers, condo owners, landlords, business owners, and anyone interested in energy-efficient, well-built windows and doors.

Compare Windows & Doors