1.29/5

242 Andersen Windows Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I ordered a window sash from Andersen on Wednesday 8/15 and was told I would receive it in “10-15 business days”. The end of that period was Thursday 9/6. I have since called them periodically as recounted below. Friday 9/7. The window was still not picked up by UPS. Wednesday 9/12. The window, which was supposedly just waiting to be picked up, was given an “extra inspection” and was due to reach me “early to mid next week”, which would be around 9/19.

Thursday 9/20: UPS broke the window. I was told it would have to be made again. There was no possibility of a price accommodation for my troubles. However, when I spoke with a supervisor named “Adaliz”, I was told it would be "expedited" and reach me within a week. Wednesday 9/26: I spoke with another supervisor, “Nicole”. I was told that the factory declined the expediting and that the window was due to leave factory on 10/9.

Tuesday 10/9: I was told that the window was manufactured on Friday 10/5 and that I should receive it by the end of week or Monday. Monday 10/15: The window was still waiting to be loaded on a truck. Thursday 10/18: The window was still waiting to be loaded on a truck. The person I spoke to said that he would email the loading dock to make sure it got on the truck soon. I was told it was getting "extra packaging care" because of the prior breakage. I was told I would be emailed a tracking # so that I could monitor its delivery.

Friday 10/19: The window arrived with no email notification. Several of the packing straps were dangling off the package. When I unpacked it, I found that a screw and bolt were both damaged, making it unable to be installed. I will be contacting them on Monday to find out what they plan to do to actually get me the item for which I was charged back on September 13 but which they seem to be unable to successfully build, track, or ship.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

My Andersen 3000 w/ Retractable Screen Storm Door on my home is a bit older but not outdated by any means. The upper ventilating glass panel cracked then shattered all over my front staircase randomly one day. Fun times shop vac-ing glass shards out of your flower beds and sidewalk crevices. Got online to order a replacement glass panel for the door. Using the serial number they specifically requested in searching for the correct parts. Nowhere on that website was there a note stating that my door was no longer made, thus I would also need to purchase a new retractable screen for it as well. So I simply ordered the glass panel assuming it would be a direct replacement.

Get the product (1.5 weeks later), after 3 hours of shoddy PDF instructions and Youtube videos, get the old glass frame out and the new one in. Only to find out it will not match up with the retractable screen. I call Andersen this time - and get a partial English speaking representative on the other line who literally repeated what I had explained to her 5 times, telling me that I would now need to drill holes into this new glass panel to make my old screen fit it. WAIT WHAT? NO - Even had I drilled holes - this screen would not have worked with this new panel.

Absolutely not the answer. I demanded a USA representative in which I was given one. He listened to the problem and agreed that I would in fact need a new retractable screen that is meant to be in party with the glass pane as they are a pair. I was furious. I said I didnt want to wait another 1.5 weeks for a screen AND pay $50 for one AFTER the fact. Had their website noted that non-fully-compatible parts would shipped with my older door, I would have been able to order them both at the same time. That rep apologized and said he would ship me a no cost replacement screen right away.

Great I thought. Well, 10 days later - no screen. I call Andersen. They shipped it to my billing address, and not the shipping address. Which was 5 hours drive away from the home that needed the part. Furious again, I asked what was going to be done now as I have now waited almost a month with a half functioning storm door. Once again, the rep stated they would ship me a replacement screen pronto. It's 2 days later and I have yet to see a shipping label created. WAY TO SUCK, Andersen. If this hurricane season blows the door off its hinges - I will never again buy from Andersen again.

Get expert buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We purchased our storm door from the Home Depot. After using for at least 5 plus years as our primary source of ingress and egress into our house, the hinges started to fail. I spent some time on the Andersen website and was pleased to find that by just proving the serial number, my door and related parts came right up. I was all set to order the failed part when I read that they offered lifetime warranty. I called Customer Service and after only a few minutes, Dan told me that the hinges were covered and that they would send me a replacement hinge. Turns out it's the entire hinge assembly. Expected it to take a week or so but got the part in 2 days. Unlike some of the other reviews I've read that only complained about poor service, I thought that a positive experience should be rewarded with a good review. Only 4 stars because I felt that the part shouldn't have really failed.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I installed new 400 series casement windows this summer. Low E with sun block. The first was one lock broke before I finished putting all the hardware on. Two other locks very tight. No big deal right. They have no warranty on workmanship. So once you sign for them you better know how to fix yourself. Another almost every morning through the summer, they would fog up on outside at night you could not see out? I do not know if all window manufactures are like this. I will not buy another ANDERSEN WINDOW AGAIN. So if you're buying windows I would check if they cover labor?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I ordered Anderson Windows, they are very expensive so I expected that all the work would be done properly. The sales person said that a vinyl outside would be superior to wood and would match exactly our current windows (our home is 100 years old). The installers were surprised that we were using vinyl since they said they would not match the rest of the house and called the salesperson as I was not available. He said to just use vinyl anyway.

When I returned and saw how bad it looked not only did the vinyl not match but the seams did not connect and it was bent on the top overall it looked really bad. We did not have them do vinyl on the other windows and they removed the vinyl and put in wood however they did not match the look of the other windows and have yet to come out and complete the job. One of their Managers named Mitch called to say their crew said it was complete and they have still not completed the work. The installers are obviously not skilled carpenters - very disappointing to pay too much and still not have to job completed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Andersen Windows?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I purchased Andersen windows for my home remodel project. As part of that project we purchased 2 dual paned bow windows. These were quite expensive but we loved them. Several years later one window got moisture inside it, since it was still under warranty we contacted Andersen. They sent us a replacement window unit but did not offer to install. We contacted Andersen dealers and found none that would do the install. We contacted Renewal By Andersen but they also would not install.

This is only one section of 5 in the bow unit not an entire window replacement, sending us a replacement section with no option to install is not what our expectations were. We still have not been able to get this window section installed, our warranty has expired and now the replacement section is still sitting gathering dust and our window is just getting more moisture inside it with no way to clean. With all their positive advertising they just don't stand up to the hype. Given the chance I would not pick them as a window choice.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

We have 10 Andersen windows in our house, which we paid a lot of money for! The screen is one huge panel with two flimsy clips at the bottom which rust and bend. These are a mother's nightmare. My cards pop them open easily and jump out of the house, once almost falling from a second story window. Now I have small children and it’s a terrifying issue. I called Andersen today and brought it to their attention as a design flaw that creates a safety issue. They told me they have a little warning tag at the bottom that protects their ** (they didn’t say that in those words) and that they are insect screens only.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We had a custom built home constructed in 2005. One of the double pane accent windows fogged up after 6 years. Andersen said they would replace window but we would have to pay installation cost. Installation cost quotes was expensive. Never would I have Andersen Windows again.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We ordered a door which took two months to deliver to Home Depot. After getting it home found that the frame was the wrong size and color. Us and Home Depot had to prove to them it was wrong then another month delay and they sent another frame. This time part of the frame was not for this door. It took much arguing to get a supervisor to listen to us and after another month sent the right part of the frame. The door is finally in after 4 months. The quality is poor. I can only assume their factory doesn’t have a no drug policy. The latching mechanism is junk and unless you close AND lock the door it won’t stay shut.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Unfortunately this was a horror story from day one with delays poor workmanship lazy work crews and Anderson’s lack of quality control. It was finally made right with the second crew they sent out but the whole experience was such a hassle and time consuming effort that I cannot recommend this company even though we like the windows and believe they will last the twenty years. Anderson says they will. I only because Anderson does not manufacture its own windows. The double pane windows are ordered by Anderson from a subcontractor in Minnesota. You can order your own windows and hire a contractor to install them for half the price we paid to Anderson. So save some money and don’t put your hard earned dollars in Anderson’s pockets. They are a rip off!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I was in need of new windows in my home and decided to get an estimate from an individual from Andersen Renewal who was going door-to-door setting up times for someone to meet with homeowners. I told this person that I only wanted an estimate and will not be buying until I am through getting estimates from several other companies. He said this would be no problem and he set up a time for a salesman to come to my house. When the salesman came he made a lot of small talk trying to be like some long lost friend. I didn’t want to be rude but I just wanted an estimate so that I could get on with my day. The salesman began his pitch and went on and on as to why I should not buy vinyl windows. He must have talked for about an hour, and 85% of his sales pitch was talking about how bad vinyl was; the remaining time he talked about how great Andersen Renewal was.

I was beginning to get annoyed with the long sales pitch and asked if I could please just see one of the Andersen windows. The salesman said that he needed to get through his sales pitch first. Finally after another 15 minutes he put the case containing the window on the counter and opened it. (After all that time before he’d show me a window, I felt like there should’ve been a bright light and stars shining around some unusually stupendous casement when he finally showed it; however, it was just a window.) I then said, "Can you please let me know what these would cost." He took a quick look at a couple of my windows and said “we will definitely keep this under $50,000.”

I only have 13 double hung windows in my house so this comment was a big red flag. After much more talking, he said that it will be $20,000 but if I bought right then, it would be $19,000. I told him that as I said before, I am not buying today so I guess that means it would cost me $20,000. He pushed and pushed trying to get me to buy and said that I should at least replace the two bad ones that he looked at. I once again told him that I am not buying at this point and asked that he just give me his estimate in writing. He got upset and said that he would send an estimate in the mail. He never did send one, but it really didn’t matter because I wasn’t about to pay that kind of money. In my opinion Andersen Renewal is grossly overpriced as their product is not worth the money they are asking, and their sales pitch is absurd and long. I did end up getting vinyl windows at less than one third the quote they gave me and I’m very happy with them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

When ordering anything make sure you ask for someone from the USA??? They ship calls out to make it cheaper on them. Then the person does not even understand what you want to order. I was told ten days that the storm door window be at my place. It was a replacement window that broke during a storm and cut me in many places. Had to go ER to get treated. But the window took 16 days to get. They kept passing the buck saying I misunderstood them. They never call back and update you even if you ask them to. I never buy or replace a window from this company. It cost me 82.00 for window and 550 security deposit fit to getting the window late. I lost my security deposit on old apartment. All they said is, "I’m sorry we can’t do anything." This is a crappy way to do business.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had these doors installed about 10 years ago in my LI home. After 3 years the metal part in the center on the outside started rusting and peeling. I contacted Andersen. They sent me a replacement part which would necessitate the whole door to be taken apart at a considerable labor cost. So much for the warranty. You get a replacement part but the labor to fix is your bill. 10 years later, the door won't even close properly. I got the kit to adjust the windows and it worked for some years but not now. I feel Andersen warranty is a joke since it only covers cheap parts but not the labor to replace which is the expensive component. Amazingly, there are some older Andersen windows in my home, which apart from seal in double glass which gave up, are still functional. They may be OK for windows but I would think twice about the french doors given the many issues I had within three years of installation.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I purchased three Andersen windows that were very expensive after hearing all of the great things the salesmen tell you. What they do not tell you is that the aluminum frames on the outside of the house are very weak and to not stand up to small hail storms. My frames were dented by pea size hail. The company wants $1036 to replace the frames and two screens. That is nearly 25% of the cost of the entire project. The frames on the rest of my home have been there for 14 years and they were not damaged. I wish I had gone with a different company when I needed to have three windows replaced.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

$3000 for a set of French doors where the handle locking mechanism will not last longer than 2 years, not interested in having to purchase a new lock set for this door every two years. I should have purchased the Pella door. Piss poor for $3000.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Screen doors which are part of slider do not slide. I have spent hours on the phone with dealer and Andersen customer service. They have basically ignored that they guarantee their products. Guarantee is a joke!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Was just give a quote for $48,000 for 3 patio doors. ($16,000 each) by Renewal by Andersen. After all "great" discounts including 5% if you buy it now, still $13,000 each. Granted the patio doors are 12 foot wide (4 panels), but charging $13,000 for a sliding door, they must be the doors to heaven?

Original review: July 7, 2018

So disappointing, horrible company, horrible product. I purchased a new home 14 years ago. 9 years later after buying the house my windows were falling apart, at the bottom of the sash, exterior portion. I called Anderson Windows, they transferred me several times and eventually I found out that the windows only carry a 10 year warranty. They told me I was out of luck because the windows were now 10 years old. I told them I only had the brand new house with brand new Anderson Windows for 9 years, they told me the windows must have been in the warehouse for 2 years.

After quite a bit of annoying conversation I told them I would contact an attorney about this at which point they transferred my call again and a nasty lady came on and seemingly taking notes asking me again about the situation. She said she would get back to me but never did. Since that time I have had several bottom sashes completely rot out. There is no other alternative but to purchase an entire new window for $250, while just the bottom sash needs replacement and I am certain I am not the only one with this problem as they now refer you to local companies, rude companies, greedy companies, charging thousands of dollars for this service, you can't talk to Anderson about this anymore.

Fortunately I'm a pretty good carpenter and have a miter saw. I have been able to fabricate this part, quite easily out of a nice piece of oak, some paint and some good glue. There is definitely planned obsolescence here and there should be some sort of recall by the government, required. They knowingly (10 year warranty shortened to 8 years), fabricate the window out of a very, very soft wood then cover it with a thin vinyl, the vinyl does not block moisture, it just looks nice and shiny when new.

Furthermore the hardware is breaking inside the window, a 10 cent piece but you have to purchase the entire lifting mechanism for to get to the 10 cent piece and quite a sum of money. Now, one by one, the sashes are rotting and the hardware is breaking all around the house. I have 27 of these windows and it would cost me roughly $10,000 to replace all the windows over the next few years.

It is noteworthy that my mother has a house almost 100 years old, in the city, which still has the original windows. Sure she has them painted every 15 years or so but they are still strong and will last another 100 years without any doubt. So, why would anybody, especially Anderson, make a window that would last less than 10 years? I think we all know the answer. Never again Anderson Windows or products. If I ever buy a house and it has Anderson Windows, I will not buy that house. Hope this helps people.

Original review: July 3, 2018

The salespeople are con artist and the prices are inflated. I received a bill for services not yet performed and this was not discussed with me. When I called I was told that the bill was for the down payment. I was never told that I was going to be billed for the down payment, in fact I asked the sales person about the down payment and was made to believe that it was not necessary.

I would have paid the down payment instead of being billed at 6.66%. I can still pay this off and avoid the interest charges. However, the point is that I should have been given the option and I was not. Also, the guy who arrived at my home to measure removed molding and did not put it back properly. I was supposed to come and measure, this had nothing to do with removal of molding. I will watch anyone very closely who comes into my home moving forward. Stay away from Andersen Windows, they are con artist and a ripoff. Maybe branches are okay, but the branch that I dealt with was in Middletown, NY.

Original review: June 30, 2018

My house was built in 1956 using heavy aluminum windows that still work fine, but I know an upgrade would save energy costs. So when a door to door canvasser stopped in, I was okay with an estimate. The appointment was cancelled twice, then the very pushy sales rep came out. Unbelievable experience and a total waste of my time. Price for 12 windows in a 1500 SF house? $35,000. As the sales pitch went on, the pressure and the dumb comments only got worse. I feel like I was being taken as a total fool and a victim of this sort of sleazy sales tactic. I did get one thing out of this - a good laugh with friends over the price quoted. What a flaming scam!

Original review: June 28, 2018

A door to door salesperson for Andersen Windows visited this evening at 7:30 pm (too late!) as we have a 2 small kids and were just getting ready to put them to bed. We have one window showing wood rot so I went ahead and attempted to schedule a follow-up appointment. The salesperson had to pass my information on to an office person over the phone, then the person on the phone spoke with me to say when the next available appointment is. I was available for the appointment but my husband was not because of work. They said they cannot schedule the appointment unless both homeowners are there. I said it's not possible because he works the next 4 weekends and I work Monday through Friday.

We are rarely both here with time for an appointment like this (I mentioned we have 2 small kids right?). They refused to meet me and passed on my business citing it's their company policy to meet with all homeowners because they provide a custom assessment and it is easier if everyone is here at the same time. So we didn't make the appointment and I will never make an appointment with Andersen, ever. I believe it's possible they didn't want to meet with me because I'm the woman of the house and not the man of the house. I believe it is possible the company practices outright discrimination against women when there is a man who is a co-owner of a home.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Completely disappointed in Anderson Windows! My husband and I bought Anderson Windows for our entire house 6 years ago. I clean my windows regularly, however, within the first two years of buying the windows ("A-Series" which is their "top of the line") we noticed water stains along the bottom ridge of the upper window. I spoke to my contractor, who completely recommended these windows, showed him the staining and together we tried to remove the stains with no luck. My contractor advised me to call the Anderson Representative to show him. After calling a few times, the representative called me back and scheduled an appointment to see the staining and the screens which were installed with the windows, and were now literally falling apart.

He ordered new replacement screens and told me to use Soft Scrub to get the stains off since he had no luck removing the stains either. I was afraid the Soft Scrub would damage the windows further, and asked him to try it on the windows, at which point he did, and had zero luck. The screens were replaced, but the staining remains. I called the rep continuously over the next two years, but received no response. I then called the local distributor for Anderson here in South Jersey, who sent men out to look at the windows. They deemed it necessary to replace one and recommended using this spray to try to get the stains out. After replacing the window, I called the Anderson Hotline to request that they look at the stains and pay the supplier for his work.

ANDERSON DID NOTHING FOR ME OR THE SUPPLIER! After being on the phone for LITERALLY two hours, (plus being put on hold for 20 minutes twice), texting pictures of the stains, measuring and telling the story, Anderson told me that they are not responsible for the windows. That this is not covered under their warranty and "it's not a manufacturing problem". The most insulting part of this entire encounter, was when the one Anderson Representative, MARK, told me to "put a little more elbow grease into it when you wash them"! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT BUY THESE WINDOWS!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I recently had a gentleman come over and he showed me what they could do with the windows I wanted removed. He gave me a price and told me that they would Email the contract. Well after two weeks of stewing on the price I realized that I could not afford what they were selling me. I never received a contract. I could not read the specifics about the contract. The man that came to see me told me I was too late to cancel. He told me that I only had three days to cancel. I did not know this, I never received the contract to read over and he did not tell me that when he was there.

I told him I could not afford what he was selling. He had me sign an iPad. He also had me sign a second one and now I am being billed by Green Sky for $6800.00 for one window. That is still too much money. I was told by this man if I wanted to cancel it would cost me $4000.00 to cancel. Till this date I have not received a contract even for one window. I think I was preyed on by this man because I just lost my husband and I'm trying to deal with that. I only have social security coming in. I can't afford these windows.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I purchased 48 doors and windows for one of my projects. This is my first experience with Andersen's products, and it turned out to be a terrible experience. First, the products' qualities were poor. Three windows were warped within 6 months of the installation, and one was jammed. I called Andersen to report the problems, the service rep gave me a long list of information I need to send in along with the photos of the defected products. I asked if they have service personnel that can come to look at defect and provide appropriate replacement or repair. She said they never send out anyone. The products' qualities are poor and customer service is terrible. Will never use any Andersen products for my future projects.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My father worked in the construction field and do remodeling on my parent’s home. Unfortunately he was under the impression that Andersen Window Company manufactured a quality window. Now approximately 25 years later many of the windows around their home are exploding for no known reason. When the Andersen Window company was contacted they admitted knowing about the issue and apologized but stated the glass in their windows was only covered for 20 years and we were past the coverage period. There are probably 20 Andersen windows throughout their home. Each window has two panes. The replacement cost is over $200 per window. Enough said. We are not happy campers.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I placed an order on the website for a replacement door handle for my storm door on the 23rd of May. I received a confirmation email that read, "Your order will be processed and shipped within 1 to 4 business days. We will send you a shipment confirmation once your order leaves our warehouse..." I received a 2nd email the same evening letting me know my product had shipped with a tracking number provided." Shipped Date: 5/23/2018 Ship Method: Ground. Shipping Company: UPS 800-782-7892 http://www.ups.com"

I have yet to receive my door handle. I go to check the tracking number and it says "A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status - including the scheduled delivery date - will be updated." My order was never shipped on the 23rd per the email. I called customer service and talked to a guy that says to me 'Generally, your order is shipped within 4-5 business days from the date of the shipping email.' That would have been yesterday. And then he says to give it until Monday to see if the tracking number will generate any movement results. The worst! I told him I'll give it until Monday, but after that I will be contacting Amex to dispute these charges. And then we'll just buy another manufacturer's door because if I'm going through this for a handle, I can only imagine the debacle a whole door would bring!

Original review: May 23, 2018

My husband and I are updating our small Southern California cottage, literally 4 windows. The living room picture window is large, so we expected a higher cost. The temps in San Diego County get hot in the summer and we want to be more energy efficient. I work in the Construction industry for over two decades and I am familiar with getting 3 quotes and choosing the best product, installation and price. Lowest price doesn't always mean best.

We were told to allow at least 90 minutes for the quote, which we thought was a long time to look at our windows, listen to what we are looking for, etc., but we allowed the time out of respect for the salesperson. He arrived with all these window samples and frame samples (along with what competitors use). He measured the windows, got his iPad out, we went outside and he looks at our living room window and asks, "Does this side of the building get wet when it rains?" Well of course the outside of the building will get wet when it rains. He then goes onto to say how they need to add and extra reinforcement for their frame.

I told him we are looking at Low E windows, want a retrofit to match existing neighbors and because I live in an HOA. Well our salesman didn't listen to what we wanted, the consumer, and priced up 4 windows with Smart Glass to the tune of $12,000!!! He also didn't have nice things to say about any competitors, which I didn't care to listen about and only compared Andersen windows to Vinyl windows, which is not what we were ever going to look at. Then came the almost Timeshare sales pitch of, "You have to but today and sign to get this price"... he shows my husband and I what the price would be, less a Nationwide discount (of what we are not sure) and an additional $995 discount by signing that day or lose the discount.

My husband and I both said that for $9K purchase, we need time to review the quote and decide what's best for us. Again trying to pressure us into the sale that day, I asked him to email the quote so we could review and would get back to him. It was insulting to get the "quote" as just a snapshot of the page from his iPad with no cost breakdown for materials, labor etc. Also, one of the whole reasons Renewal by Andersen was one of our choices for a quote was they offered a buy one window get one for 40% off. Well, by the "quote" we received, we couldn't make an intelligent review of unknown costs compared to other window installers. After finding this website, I am certainly glad I reviewed them here before the purchase.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I built my home in 1978. I was a builder and worked with my father who was also a licensed contractor. We built a number of homes in the mid Michigan area. At that time Anderson windows had a reputation as being the best available. We must have installed over 100 of them. The most popular window being the Anderson Perma-Shield. These were wood-vinyl clad slider windows. They had a 25 year warranty. These windows were properly leveled and installed with proper flashing to Anderson specs. We never had any insulation complaints. If there was a problem they were referred to Anderson. If you never open a window, then you probably would never have a complaint.

After 2 years of owning these windows, the windows would not slide properly. They would stick in the tracks and jam in the slides. After numerous attempts to contact Anderson through the years about this problem, Anderson told me that we make a spray to make the window slide easier and we know we have a problem with these clad windows as the wood swells from condensation between the vinyl clad and the wood, therefore we will be discontinuing Anderson Perma-shield windows. Really nice after paying over 10k in those days. One of the windows had a distorted pane and Anderson refused to replace it until I threatened them with a suit. They then sent a representative out that called their company and explained that the window glass, did have a problem.

As time went by, I replaced the severe problem windows with Anderson crank outs. I owned these about 10 years and have 2 of them with broken crank outs. They probably were opened and closed 20 times in 10 years. I am very lucky to have these windows as I can still purchase the crank mechanisms, but that is it because all other parts have been discontinued. As far as the Perma-shield windows nothing is available and haven't been available for about 10 years. So, Anderson has a great gimmick. Buy their windows, with a great warranty and we will discontinue that model after a few years and get out of any warranty. Don't waste your time and money with the best windows made. Buy the 2nd best windows made and you will not only be happier, but a little richer.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I built my home myself in 1982. I was advised to get Andersen Windows, wood inside, white cladding on outside, screens and snap in grids. Zero problems in 38 years. All excellent condition. Even my Andersen sliding glass door is still like new condition. I am building an addition now and see the warranties and articles saying windows expected life is only like 20 years. I don't know what type my new 8 windows will be yet as the prices are very high now. By the way, I am in Ohio with extreme hot and cold weather.

Original review: May 3, 2018

An Andersen door lock failed and I attempted to contact an authorized repair through their website -- there was only ONE in Brea, CA and the next near San Diego. We are in Newport. I finally made contact with an Andersen chat person and determined that the part was available through them (repair in Brea did not have part) and ordered it. There is no way to ask for expedited shipping nor any way to check for the website gives you a message "ONLINE ORDER TRACKING IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR ORDERS PLACED BY PHONE." I did not call my order in, I ordered it on their website.

I called Andersen and they told me how long it takes depends on the part. Gave him the part, my order number, etc. and he still could not give an answer. When your door lock is broken, you want fast, reliable repair and or parts. You get neither with Andersen. And oh, if you are looking for the parts store you'll find it on Parts.Andersenstormdoors not Andersenparts. I guess they are just interested in selling doors and windows not service and parts. ONLINE ORDER TRACKING IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR ORDERS PLACED BY PHONE.

Andersen Windows expert review by Joseph Truini

The Andersen Corporation is the largest door and window manufacturer in the United States. The company has been in business since 1903.

• Wide product offering: Andersen designs and manufacturers an extensive line of high-performance, energy-efficient windows and doors. It has four brands: Andersen vinyl-clad wood windows and patio doors; Renewal by Andersen, a line of low-maintenance replacement windows; Silver Line vinyl windows and patio doors; and American Craftsman vinyl windows and doors, which are sold exclusive through Home Depot.

• Sells internationally: Andersen sells windows in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and South America as well as in the United States.

• Large online library: Customers can read about how to choose the right products, how to install them and more on the company's website.

• Trains installers: Consumers must contract separately with third parties for installation, and Andersen offers certification in installing its products. The only exception is for Renewal replacement windows, which are installed by Andersen’s own group of highly trained contractors.

• Lots of options: Owners who want to create a custom look can easily mix and match shapes, materials and sizes from the large catalog of available windows.

• Online parts store: Owners who want to repair or replace windows and doors can find and purchase parts online through this company's website.

• Best for: Andersen Windows are best for homeowners, do-it-yourselfers, condo owners, landlords, business owners, and anyone interested in energy-efficient, well-built windows and doors.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Andersen Windows Company Information