3.8/5 (35 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Courtney Hamar
Edited by Vincent Landino

About American Home Protect

American Home Protect offers a home warranty plan that helps offset the cost of covered home repairs. The company’s base warranty offers coverage for both home systems and appliances, but you can also choose from additional coverage options to tailor the warranty to your specific needs. As long as your home systems and appliances are well maintained and in good condition when you purchase the plan, their age doesn’t matter.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Unlimited repairs
    • Covers appliances and systems
    • Low deductible

Cons

• No upfront plan pricing
    • No online claims portal

Bottom Line

American Home Protect offers one base warranty plan with add-on options, and you get an unlimited number of covered repairs. However, contracts last longer than the industry average, and some details aren’t available online.

What is American Home Protect?

American Home Protect is a home warranty company that offers coverage for certain appliances and home systems. These include but aren't limited to your home’s heating system, refrigerator, air conditioning, washer, dryer and ceiling fans.

American Home Protect only has one plan: the Premiere Coverage Plan. However, you can add protection for things like spa equipment, swimming pools and garage door openers.

When a covered item breaks down, you can contact American Home Protect to have a local technician sent out. American Home Protect will cover the repair bill (up to any contractual limits), and if an appliance can't be repaired, it will be replaced.

An American Home Protect warranty lasts for three years. This warranty term is longer than the industry standard, though longer home warranty contracts often come with additional savings.

American Home Protect plans and coverage

• Clothes washer
    • Clothes dryer
    • Ceiling fans
    • Water heaters
    • Central air conditioning or cooling systems
    • Central heating system
    • Electrical system
    • Handyman services (in select states)

You also have the option to add coverage for the following items:

• Free-standing freezer
    • Free-standing ice maker
    • Spa equipment
    • Swimming pool
    • Plumbing
    • Central vacuum system
    • Garage door opener

How much does American Home Protect cost?

Home warranty costs can vary significantly depending on where you live, the size of your home and what you need the plan to cover, and American Home Protect does not list starting prices on its website. However, you can contact the company for a quote.

In the event of a claim, you can expect to pay between $35 and $65 for a service call. There are some instances where your cost could be higher, though, so you should carefully read through your contract before purchasing your home warranty.

American Home Protect FAQ

How long is an American Home Protect contract?

An American Home Protect warranty contract is for three years. After three years, you have an option to renew the contract or let it expire.

What is American Home Protect’s deductible?

American Home Protect’s typical diagnostic fee ranges from $36 to $65.

There are also instances where your out-of-pocket costs could be more, so it's important to read your contract carefully.

Does American Home Protect have a coverage limit?

American Home Protect allows for an unlimited number of covered repairs, and there are no stated repair cost limits on its website. However, it’s smart to read your contract thoroughly for any coverage limitations and exclusions before you sign.

Can I transfer an American Home Protect warranty?

Yes, just call American Home Protect to begin your warranty transfer.

Can I choose my own repair person with American Home Protect?

No, American Home Protect coordinates with the repair company for you.

Is American Home Protect legit?

American Home Protect is a suitable option if you’re looking for a simple home warranty shopping experience. Its service fees are also more affordable than average, and the coverage listed on the company’s website is fairly standard, if a little limited for a comprehensive plan. Some of the most important details aren’t available online, though, so be sure to comparison-shop and read your contract thoroughly, especially when you’re signing up for a three-year commitment.

American Home Protect Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Protect?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Protect?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

American Home Protect covered at least 35% of the cost for my water heater. It was around the holidays so the contractors were booked up. I asked American Home Protect if I could be the one to pick who does the job because I knew somebody in town that was not busy so that was what I did. They sent me a $500 check and I had to pay for the labor which wasn't bad. It was around $1,200 in total including the water heater. They didn't say anything about them only covering a percentage. I was expecting to get a full refund but it's better than nothing. American Home Protect helps.

Hi Anthony,

We are happy to hear that you were able to get your water heater replaced and very glad that you were able to see the benefit of choosing your own technician and expediting the process, especially during the holidays. At times when the demand for service is so high, we know that our policy allowing customers to choose their own technician can be incredibly important. Even though the contract does have some limitations on the costs of certain services, we try our best to make those limitations less strict than the rest of the industry so we can allow our customers to receive higher reimbursements than other home warranties. In the end we are glad that you are pleased with our service, and we will be here to help you if anything else breaks down.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

So far, American Home Protect has been working for me. The things I needed to be fixed got fixed, and I got the help that I needed. I don't have to pay a full amount for what needs to be fixed. Every time I submitted a claim, I talked to a different person, but it was good. The contractor did his job and we had a great communication. Right now however, I have an open claim. They haven’t reached out to me yet.

Hi Fatima,

Thank you for the review. We are thrilled to hear that our service has been working so well for you and that you have been able to get everything that you need fixed while saving money! You may have talked to different people because we are consistently adding new employees to help make the claims process even better for anyone with an issue. Although an agent is likely working on your claim right now, we have forwarded your name to the customer care department to make sure that they are in contact soon.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

When I was signing up, at first I said, "It's not really old enough to really even consider this possibility." But I thought, "If I sign up now and I stay with them, when I really need it, maybe it'll be there." And sometimes I'm still thinking back and forth. I look at it, how much it is, and I thought, "I could put that money aside in a separate savings account and basically have money built up in case I do have those expenses." I'm still weighing whether I should do one or the other kind of thing, what's my best choice given my situation. If you don't know how old your appliances are that came with the home or apartment, this is something to think about if you're responsible for the repairs of these pieces of equipment. I looked at it as general home insurance for the whole home. And I realized what it really was. I'm still weighing a lot of this stuff, what is really a justifiable expense for me versus is there a better alternative for me in the long run.

At this point, if the unit failed, the company has to do you right by either being able to repair it back up again or simply replacing it, depending upon what's cost effective for them to make you satisfied. Because you don't want a dissatisfied customer when it comes to, what you call higher value items that people purchase either for themselves or for their homes. You're talking the home, the car, the appliances, the more expensive furniture. You don't want somebody within five years, it gives you a problem to the point where they're gonna go out there online and tell everybody, "You don't want to buy from these people because it gave out after this period of time. And they basically said, ‘Good luck, you must have got one of the bad ones. Well, we're sorry. And that's as much far as it goes.’” This is the last thing a customer wants to hear.

To some extent, someone close to me probably would have said, "You really should have thought about this before you spent that money, because you could have put the money in the savings, and you'd have the money set aside in case you needed it. And if you didn't need it, then you'd be building up money to replace the unit when it reaches the end of its life." Which is another good point, just setting the money aside for yourself.

Hi Kenneth,

We are glad that you decided to sign up for our service and are allowing us to keep you protected from a breakdown. The peace of mind you feel hopefully will add some value to your home warranty. In addition, the handyman services that we offer as a part of the contract can help to really inflate the value of the service contract. You can call and have a handyman sent for a variety of services that range from basic maintenance to building a new room to installing a new faucet. The deductible is far less than most handyman would charge for an hour of work, and depending on how many jobs you need done, you could save an incredible amount of money. So don’t forget to use our handymen for your household needs and get even more value from the service contract.

Original review: July 1, 2022

The young man that I talked to said that the payments would be 100 and something dollars. I told him I couldn't afford that, and he brought it down to 95 for me. That helped me tremendously, because I live on my Social Security. I felt safe knowing I had American Home Protect. It took a lot of pressure off of me.

Hi Shirley,

We are so happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience signing up and that we were able to help you to fit within your budget. Many of our customers have fixed incomes and we do our best to accommodate everyone to help them get protection within their budget constraints. We hope that you will feel great about our service and any time that you need it you can rest assured that there will be someone here to help. We also want to remind you about the handyman services that are included in the contract. If you ever need maintenance or a job is just too much for you to handle by yourself, you can have us find you a handyman to help you, and all you need to do is pay the small deductible in your contract. This should help to save you quite a bit over finding a handyman online and paying their hourly rate and these services can help with everything from yardwork to plumbing. So, if there is ever any time you need a handyman, don’t forget that our handyman services are available to you and can save you money and help your budget!

Original review: May 15, 2022

Right after we first moved in, there was a good leak up underneath the kitchen sink. American Home Protect sent Christianson Brothers. It took the man quite a while to fix it. He was out here for hours. He had to go get parts, and then come back. We also had an issue with the microwave. They asked us if we would mind finding somebody that would come out and do an assessment to find out what was wrong, and then submit it and then they would pay it if it met the criteria of what was wrong. We also had an issue with the air conditioner. The drain hose that went from the air conditioner to the outside was clogged up. When they came out, we had to pay for the call because it was a maintenance issue. Everything that's happened, except for the plumbing issue in the kitchen, we've had to pay for.

Hi Karen,

We are very glad that we were able to help you with the leak because a small leak can lead to much bigger issues in the future. Oftentimes plumbing can be a very time-consuming repair process, so I am glad they were able to fix the issue the same day. As far as the microwave repair, we offer our customers the option to have a qualified professional that they trust to make repairs and in rare circumstances our service professionals are so busy that we ask the customer to find someone from outside of our portfolio of repair specialists to take care of the issue. We are very sorry if this inconvenienced you but because we use many of the highest rated licensed professionals, they can see a build-up in demand at times. I hope that the air conditioner maintenance was quick and easy as well. In the future, you can use our handyman services to perform some of the routine maintenance required to keep your appliances and home systems running well.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

They don’t send out a bill. They have to do an automatic withdrawal. It’s a monthly thing, but I don't like that. I like to know write my checks out so I know who I’m writing to and who I'm paying.

Hi Joan,

We are sorry that you don’t find the automatic withdrawal to be helpful. Many of our customers prefer to have the payments automated so they have one less thing to worry about paying. One way that you may be able to resolve this issue is to contact our customer care team and explain to them how you feel. They always do their best to find ways to help each and every customer with their specific preferences and they may be able to accommodate you.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

The purchase went very well, and so far, so good. The house has been good to me, so it hasn't had need of any fixing.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for letting us know how well the purchase went, we appreciate the feedback. We are happy that you haven’t had any issues lately, but we will be ready to assist if any issues arise. While everything is functioning well, you can also use the handyman services to keep your home maintained or even help with some new additions.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

When the seller sold the home, the service was still available to me. When it expired, I went ahead and renewed it as the salesperson advised me that it would be best to renew in case something should go wrong. He was very professional. He broke everything down for me, detail for detail, and I was satisfied with the conversation I had with him. I haven't utilized the service yet, but we're happy to have it.

Hi Roger,

We are proud that our agent was able to help you by explaining everything in such a professional manner, and glad that you decided to renew your service with us. With your renewal you may have noticed that there are now handyman services included in the contract. So, even if you don’t need to repair a breakdown right away, you can use our handyman services to get even more value out of the new contract.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

I got a house, and American Home Protect was part of the purchase. I just started using them and customer service was good.

Hi Benjamin,

We are pleased that you were happy with our customer service, and we think that you will be pleased with our home protection as well. The same great agents will be here to assist you when you need help and make the process as easy as possible for you, hopefully alleviating some of the stress of a breakdown.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

Everything was straightforward and easy to understand. I would definitely recommend American Home Protect to somebody who doesn't know how to fix anything.

Hi David,

Thank you for the recommendation. We are happy that we can be here to serve you and make sure that if something breaks, we have someone there to fix it for you. And don’t forget, the handyman services are available to save you money even when nothing is broken. If you need maintenance performed, your gutters cleaned, or any other handyman service, call us to schedule a handyman so that you can save even more money.

American Home Protect Company Information

americanhomeprotectllc.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: