3.1/5 (14 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Courtney Hamar
Edited by Vincent Landino

About American Home Protect

American Home Protect offers a home warranty plan that helps offset the cost of covered home repairs. The company’s base warranty offers coverage for both home systems and appliances, but you can also choose from additional coverage options to tailor the warranty to your specific needs. As long as your home systems and appliances are well maintained and in good condition when you purchase the plan, their age doesn’t matter.

Pros

• Unlimited repairs
  • Covers appliances and systems
  • Low deductible

Cons

• No upfront plan pricing
  • No online claims portal

Bottom Line

American Home Protect offers one base warranty plan with add-on options, and you get an unlimited number of covered repairs. However, contracts last longer than the industry average, and some details aren’t available online.

What is American Home Protect?

American Home Protect is a home warranty company that offers coverage for certain appliances and home systems. These include but aren't limited to your home’s heating system, refrigerator, air conditioning, washer, dryer and ceiling fans.

American Home Protect only has one plan: the Premiere Coverage Plan. However, you can add protection for things like spa equipment, swimming pools and garage door openers.

When a covered item breaks down, you can contact American Home Protect to have a local technician sent out. American Home Protect will cover the repair bill (up to any contractual limits), and if an appliance can't be repaired, it will be replaced.

An American Home Protect warranty lasts for three years. This warranty term is longer than the industry standard, though longer home warranty contracts often come with additional savings.

American Home Protect plans and coverage

• Clothes washer
  • Clothes dryer
  • Ceiling fans
  • Water heaters
  • Central air conditioning or cooling systems
  • Central heating system
  • Electrical system
  • Handyman services (in select states)

You also have the option to add coverage for the following items:

• Free-standing freezer
  • Free-standing ice maker
  • Spa equipment
  • Swimming pool
  • Plumbing
  • Central vacuum system
  • Garage door opener

How much does American Home Protect cost?

Home warranty costs can vary significantly depending on where you live, the size of your home and what you need the plan to cover, and American Home Protect does not list starting prices on its website. However, you can contact the company for a quote.

In the event of a claim, you can expect to pay between $35 and $65 for a service call. There are some instances where your cost could be higher, though, so you should carefully read through your contract before purchasing your home warranty.

American Home Protect FAQ

How long is an American Home Protect contract?

An American Home Protect warranty contract is for three years. After three years, you have an option to renew the contract or let it expire.

What is American Home Protect’s deductible?

American Home Protect’s typical diagnostic fee ranges from $36 to $65.

There are also instances where your out-of-pocket costs could be more, so it's important to read your contract carefully.

Does American Home Protect have a coverage limit?

American Home Protect allows for an unlimited number of covered repairs, and there are no stated repair cost limits on its website. However, it’s smart to read your contract thoroughly for any coverage limitations and exclusions before you sign.

Can I transfer an American Home Protect warranty?

Yes, just call American Home Protect to begin your warranty transfer.

Can I choose my own repair person with American Home Protect?

No, American Home Protect coordinates with the repair company for you.

Is American Home Protect legit?

American Home Protect is a suitable option if you’re looking for a simple home warranty shopping experience. Its service fees are also more affordable than average, and the coverage listed on the company’s website is fairly standard, if a little limited for a comprehensive plan. Some of the most important details aren’t available online, though, so be sure to comparison-shop and read your contract thoroughly, especially when you’re signing up for a three-year commitment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Protect?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Protect?

Original review: July 1, 2022

The young man that I talked to said that the payments would be 100 and something dollars. I told him I couldn't afford that, and he brought it down to 95 for me. That helped me tremendously, because I live on my Social Security. I felt safe knowing I had American Home Protect. It took a lot of pressure off of me.

Hi Shirley,

We are so happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience signing up and that we were able to help you to fit within your budget. Many of our customers have fixed incomes and we do our best to accommodate everyone to help them get protection within their budget constraints. We hope that you will feel great about our service and any time that you need it you can rest assured that there will be someone here to help. We also want to remind you about the handyman services that are included in the contract. If you ever need maintenance or a job is just too much for you to handle by yourself, you can have us find you a handyman to help you, and all you need to do is pay the small deductible in your contract. This should help to save you quite a bit over finding a handyman online and paying their hourly rate and these services can help with everything from yardwork to plumbing. So, if there is ever any time you need a handyman, don’t forget that our handyman services are available to you and can save you money and help your budget!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2022

Right after we first moved in, there was a good leak up underneath the kitchen sink. American Home Protect sent Christianson Brothers. It took the man quite a while to fix it. He was out here for hours. He had to go get parts, and then come back. We also had an issue with the microwave. They asked us if we would mind finding somebody that would come out and do an assessment to find out what was wrong, and then submit it and then they would pay it if it met the criteria of what was wrong. We also had an issue with the air conditioner. The drain hose that went from the air conditioner to the outside was clogged up. When they came out, we had to pay for the call because it was a maintenance issue. Everything that's happened, except for the plumbing issue in the kitchen, we've had to pay for.

Hi Karen,

We are very glad that we were able to help you with the leak because a small leak can lead to much bigger issues in the future. Oftentimes plumbing can be a very time-consuming repair process, so I am glad they were able to fix the issue the same day. As far as the microwave repair, we offer our customers the option to have a qualified professional that they trust to make repairs and in rare circumstances our service professionals are so busy that we ask the customer to find someone from outside of our portfolio of repair specialists to take care of the issue. We are very sorry if this inconvenienced you but because we use many of the highest rated licensed professionals, they can see a build-up in demand at times. I hope that the air conditioner maintenance was quick and easy as well. In the future, you can use our handyman services to perform some of the routine maintenance required to keep your appliances and home systems running well.

Original review: May 14, 2022

When I signed up with them, it was fine. They made it very easy and it didn't take that long.

American Home Protect response

Hi Tricia, we're thrilled to hear that everything was quick and easy. Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: May 13, 2022

The reps have been all fine, nice and helpful. So far, it's been a good experience.

Hi Karen,

We're glad that you've had a pleasant experience and that everyone has been helpful. And the good news is, the same reps will be there to help you if a problem arises. On top of that, if there is anything else that you need a handyman to help with, our great reps will help you find a handyman at a steep discount as part of the home warranty coverage.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Their contractors were good. With my recent claim, they had to order a breaker. They said it was under warranty. There wasn't anything structural. They don't do that. But with HVAC and appliances, they said all that's covered. It took them a couple of days to fix the air conditioning last time. But everything went fine. American Home Protect is good but they're expensive.

Hi Jeffrey,

We're glad that we were able to help and that everything worked out in the end. We always try to make the process fast and easy and because we choose the best licensed repairmen, they can have full schedules at times and may take an extra day or two to complete the work. We also try to keep our plans affordable for everyone but oftentimes you get what you pay for and we always focus on providing quality service!

Original review: July 14, 2022

American Home Protect knew what they were doing. Signing up was very simple.

Hi Clair,

We are thrilled that your process of signing up was so straightforward and easy. We take the training of our agents seriously and it is great to hear that the training is paying off and they are doing so well with the customers. Although the agent likely explained this to you, we always like to reiterate that your contract is more than just a warranty. We have our handyman service that is included in your benefits for free, and if you ever have a maintenance need or any job that you simply prefer a handyman to do, we are here to help. Anything from mounting a new television on the wall to helping with a leak around the house, our handyman service is available for you. A normal handyman can charge any price they want for their services, but with our service you simply pay your basic deductible, and a handyman will be sent to help you with whatever you request a technician for. We hope that you will be as pleased with our services as you were with the initial process and our agents will be here to assist you!

Original review: July 11, 2022

American Home Protect's rep did pretty well.

Hi Charles,

We are glad that you felt like the agent worked well with you. We take pride in training our agents so that they provide top notch service to our customers. If you ever have an issue, you can rest assured that those same great agents will be there to help you take care of any issue that you have with your home. In addition, if you ever need to have some work done around the house or just want to keep your home maintained, you can use the handyman services that are included in your contract. We will have the same great agents here to help you find a handyman as well.

Original review: June 30, 2022

I almost canceled American Home Protect. I have two homes so I'm paying almost $400 a month. And they tell me that’s fair that a customer waits on hold for two hours to get a question answered and to get handyman services? No. And I'm gonna dispute all the charges, because I couldn't get anybody to give me a clear answer or to answer my phone call when I call without being on hold for a long time. None of my issues have been taken care of, and I'm paying for it.

Also, American Home Protect doesn't have enough people with knowledge. I needed an outlet for my house because I have an electric vehicle. And every time I plugged my electric vehicle using my current outlet, it trips the rest of the electricity at the house, so I needed an additional outlet. Somebody was supposed to get back with me, but they never did. It's very simple. Just get somebody out here to add the outlet. It's very simple. It’s on the garage, so it's not like there's anything that needs to run a line. But they haven't.

When we’re calling as homeowners, we're looking for a solution. If I have to do the research myself, then why would I pay American Home Protect? And the lady said, “It's not covered. We only covered your pool.” They want to pull an outlet from my pool? That's going to cost them more money. That doesn't make sense. It's right here. Everything is set for the garage. They just need an outlet. The electrical panel is right here. She didn't know what she was talking about. And last week, she said, “Cover with your pool blah, blah, blah.” So they want to run the line all the way from my pool? I still don't have my answer. They said somebody would contact me. They haven’t. So why would I pay for a service that I'm not receiving?

What's wrong with their handyman number? Why does nobody pick up? I would call and they would say, “You can find your own handyman, pay out of your pocket, and submit the invoices for our approval.” But I'm not gonna do that because I would run into the liability of having to fight them. I don't want that. I shouldn't have to do all the work as a customer. Why would I do that? I have been very frustrated with this whole process.

Hi Mercia,

We are sorry that you had to wait for so long on your call. The months of May, June and still now in July have all been record breaking months for claims. Most is due to the heat waves across the country and countless customers needing A/C units replaced but it has been overwhelming the claims department and we are sorry you had to wait longer than you would have liked. As you can imagine, our customer service and claims agents are not service technicians themselves, so they would not have knowledge about the ease of adding a new outlet or any service-related issues. For that we have to rely on the service technicians that help customers. We looked in your records and we have a call from you on 7/11/2022 to add the outlet. Our claims agents did in fact try to contact a handyman on that day but were unable to find one without a waiting list for you. It says that they informed you about your option to contact your own handyman which should expedite the process greatly. If you choose your own, you can have the invoice sent to us for approval and then your handyman will do the work and we will pay the invoice. That is one option that might save you some time. We hope that your issues will be resolved soon, and in the future, it may be helpful to call directly to the claims department. Their number can always be found on our website, but for your convenience I can tell you that it is (888) 970-0087 and this will bypass the possible wait time to talk with the initial customer service agents that then direct you to claims. Again, we apologize for the long wait, but the demand for claims has been at all-time highs for the past couple of months. We value all of our customers, and we hope that our agents will be able to find someone to do your service, or if you choose, you can find someone to provide you with service and we will take care of the invoice for you.

Original review: June 29, 2022

The agent that got me set up has been good. He at least calls me back if I leave him a voicemail. If it's not that day, it's the next day. Or if I call him during hours, he will pick up. But when he sent me over to claims people, it took forever, and I still haven’t had my products fixed. And it’s probably the worst thing, because it’s my AC, and it’s hot. American Home Protect gave me options. But either I have to take time out of my day to find somebody to come look at my issue, and they will reimburse me, or wait for them to find somebody to come out here and look for it. So, they should be clearer with their instructions.

Also, the wait-time is unbearable. I sat there waiting for an hour thirty, just for a 10-minute conversation. They should have a faster response time. They can help people out faster than me sitting here waiting for an hour. I literally sat there at work with my air pods in, the volume low, during my shift just because I couldn't wait during my lunch. I get 30 minutes for that. So, I got to sit there and wait another hour while I’m doing work. Or, if they have a call back time.

Hi Sterling,

We are sorry for the delay; we are very much aware of the long waits that are far from normal for claims. You specifically are part of the group that are waiting the longest of all, which are people that need their A/C fixed. This year we are breaking heat records across the country and the back-up and waiting for A/C repairs has never been this long before. On top of our company having more claims than ever before, the actual A/C service technicians are often booked for weeks or longer. We offer you the option so that you can find someone and expedite the process, but we understand if that is not something you are interested in. Our claims agents generally begin with our own network of known and trusted technicians that we have paid claims to before, but when they are booked, our agents are forced to begin a search for qualified technicians and find one that is available for you. After an exhaustive search, some occasions still require booking a technician that has a waiting list. This is due to a countrywide spike in demand for technicians, specifically A/C technicians. We hope that you have been helped and your claims has been processed by now, but if not, it may be worth your time to simply find some technician in your area and talk to them personally to possibly diagnose and fix your issue faster. Then we will be here to pay for your invoice and take care of the bill. Again, we apologize for the delay and even though it may not make it any better to hear, you are not alone. People all across the country with and without home warranties are dealing with the same long waits and issues as you.

Original review: June 1, 2022

The signing up experience was fairly easy.

Hi Scott,

We are glad that you found the sign-up process easy. We are always here to help, and our goal is to make sure that all of our customers are happy with all of the processes that we handle. If there is anything else that we can help you with, we have agents ready and waiting to take care of your issues!

American Home Protect Company Information