3.1/5 (14 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Courtney Hamar
Edited by Vincent Landino

About American Home Protect

American Home Protect offers a home warranty plan that helps offset the cost of covered home repairs. The company’s base warranty offers coverage for both home systems and appliances, but you can also choose from additional coverage options to tailor the warranty to your specific needs. As long as your home systems and appliances are well maintained and in good condition when you purchase the plan, their age doesn’t matter.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Unlimited repairs
    • Covers appliances and systems
    • Low deductible

Cons

• No upfront plan pricing
    • No online claims portal

Bottom Line

American Home Protect offers one base warranty plan with add-on options, and you get an unlimited number of covered repairs. However, contracts last longer than the industry average, and some details aren’t available online.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

American Home Protect Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Protect?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Protect?

Original review: June 1, 2022

The signing up experience was fairly easy.

Hi Scott,

We are glad that you found the sign-up process easy. We are always here to help, and our goal is to make sure that all of our customers are happy with all of the processes that we handle. If there is anything else that we can help you with, we have agents ready and waiting to take care of your issues!

Original review: May 24, 2022

I had a poor experience with American Home Protect. I was not happy with them. I had a frustrating time with three things that we have that should have been insured broke. One of them got repaired and I feel like that was almost an accident that the person who was my claims adjuster was particularly generous. But there were a lot of hoops I had to jump through. We had to get a service person out to look at it and to give them a written thing to understand. But they also then said, "We can't get a service person out in your area because we don't have that. So, you have to find your own." There was one time when I found my own service person and they said, "We can't fix this. Let me give you this little note that says this can't be fixed." When I tried to send that back to American Home Protect, they said, "It's not good enough. We need X, Y, or Z."

With our microwave, the air vent cover broke off, just snapped. That was not something that you can simply repair because it's a mechanical part. They said, "That doesn't impede the microwave functioning." But they got us a new dishwasher. But it was very hard to get the claims honored. For the most part, they would find loopholes to not pay it. I'd also love to find a form of a receipt from them because it was very hard to find their contact information. I looked up and I don't think they put American Home Protect as part of their email, signature line, or subject line.

Hi Erik,

We are sorry that you didn't have a good experience using our service. We had our compliance department look at your case and we were able to determine the issues that you came across. To begin with the service provider issue, we offer the option to our customers to choose their own service providers so that they can choose someone they trust to do the work. Most customers enjoy this feature for their own peace of mind in the service provided, but I understand that you didn't enjoy this benefit. In some circumstances like the one you had, we either don't have service providers in the area or they are booked for more than a few days and we ask the customer to find a service provider to use while we will pay for their services. We do ask that you acquire a legitimate form from the service provider with the provider's information so that we can contact them in order to get details on how to pay them as well as an assessment of the situation that they are seeing in person. These are very basic standards of all home warranty companies and we need these items so that a customer does not simply write their own note saying that an item is irreparable without actually having a licensed service provider there to inspect it. As you can imagine if we allowed just a simple note from the homeowner, other people would simply write notes that all of their appliances are broken and get free replacements and be able to sell the old appliances without any third party inspection.

We did in fact replace the dishwasher with a new unit because it was truly broken and not functioning and deemed to have not been user damage that caused it. The microwave however was not covered and the reason was that it was damage caused by use rather than the appliance failing. Although a vent cover is not actually mechanical, it is a part of the microwave that can be damaged by the user and not something that will stop functioning on its own. Luckily, parts like this are generally easily replaceable by ordering it online and removing a few screws, then installing the new cover with a few screws. But because it was deemed by your repair person to be user damage, our policy does not allow us to repair it. As I'm sure you can imagine, no home warranty policy from any company will cover user damage because if they did, a homeowner that wanted to remodel a kitchen could just take a baseball bat to all of their appliances and have the company purchase all their new appliances for them. That obviously isn't a fair policy.

So we are thrilled that we were able to help you by purchasing a new dishwasher for your home. But unfortunately user damage and simple notes without contact information for a third party that has assessed the problem, are issues that will never be covered by any warranty or any company now or in the future. We hope that you enjoy the new dishwasher and if your other appliances do fail without user damage, we will be happy to help you and to repair or replace them for you. Just remember that you will need more than just a simple note and the service provider will need to list their contact information so we can get their assessment and a means in which to pay them for their service! But we will be there to take care of any more problems that may arise.

Original review: May 15, 2022

Right after we first moved in, there was a good leak up underneath the kitchen sink. American Home Protect sent Christianson Brothers. It took the man quite a while to fix it. He was out here for hours. He had to go get parts, and then come back. We also had an issue with the microwave. They asked us if we would mind finding somebody that would come out and do an assessment to find out what was wrong, and then submit it and then they would pay it if it met the criteria of what was wrong. We also had an issue with the air conditioner. The drain hose that went from the air conditioner to the outside was clogged up. When they came out, we had to pay for the call because it was a maintenance issue. Everything that's happened, except for the plumbing issue in the kitchen, we've had to pay for.

Hi Karen,

We are very glad that we were able to help you with the leak because a small leak can lead to much bigger issues in the future. Oftentimes plumbing can be a very time-consuming repair process, so I am glad they were able to fix the issue the same day. As far as the microwave repair, we offer our customers the option to have a qualified professional that they trust to make repairs and in rare circumstances our service professionals are so busy that we ask the customer to find someone from outside of our portfolio of repair specialists to take care of the issue. We are very sorry if this inconvenienced you but because we use many of the highest rated licensed professionals, they can see a build-up in demand at times. I hope that the air conditioner maintenance was quick and easy as well. In the future, you can use our handyman services to perform some of the routine maintenance required to keep your appliances and home systems running well.

Original review: May 14, 2022

When I signed up with them, it was fine. They made it very easy and it didn't take that long.

American Home Protect response

Hi Tricia, we're thrilled to hear that everything was quick and easy. Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: May 13, 2022

The reps have been all fine, nice and helpful. So far, it's been a good experience.

Hi Karen,

We're glad that you've had a pleasant experience and that everyone has been helpful. And the good news is, the same reps will be there to help you if a problem arises. On top of that, if there is anything else that you need a handyman to help with, our great reps will help you find a handyman at a steep discount as part of the home warranty coverage.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Their contractors were good. With my recent claim, they had to order a breaker. They said it was under warranty. There wasn't anything structural. They don't do that. But with HVAC and appliances, they said all that's covered. It took them a couple of days to fix the air conditioning last time. But everything went fine. American Home Protect is good but they're expensive.

Hi Jeffrey,

We're glad that we were able to help and that everything worked out in the end. We always try to make the process fast and easy and because we choose the best licensed repairmen, they can have full schedules at times and may take an extra day or two to complete the work. We also try to keep our plans affordable for everyone but oftentimes you get what you pay for and we always focus on providing quality service!

Original review: May 11, 2022

When I signed up with them, it was great. However, I had one incident when I called and requested someone for a repair and they couldn't find a vendor to deal with it in my area. That's the only thing I don't like about it. They have to have vendors visit their clients when they are in need. Otherwise, I'm good.

Hi Colin,

We are sorry that your claim process did not function the way that you were hoping. One of the benefits that we offer clients is the ability to contact their own service provider so that they can use someone they know and trust. Although many clients appreciate this, we realize not everyone wants to do this. In other cases, we have not established connections yet with service providers in certain areas or the service providers we use are booked for more than a few days and we are unable to use them. In these circumstances we ask the customers to find a service provider and then we pay for their services. Again, we apologize that you were forced to search for your own provider, but we hope that the service was taken care of promptly and that in the end it worked out. What we can advise you for any future claims is that in the event of another issue with any of your covered appliances or systems, you can politely insist that our agents search for a new service provider to assist you. If you explain that you don't know anyone trustworthy and don't have the ability or time to search for your own service provider, we will instruct our customer service agents to go ahead and search for someone that is out of our normal service portfolio and take care of your issues. We hope this helps in the future and hope that the service provider you used in this instance worked out well for you!

Original review: May 10, 2022

We don't have a good experience so far with American Home Protect. It got changed over into our name and we never got reimbursed for what we sent in last year. It was to replace a leaking toilet. We had already tried to do the transfer process over into our name and it apparently didn't work and they sent the reimbursement check to the former homeowner. We tried everything. We called and talked to them to try to get them to send it to us. They said for her to send the check back. Her agent said that she sent the check back but they still never sent it to us.

Original review: May 9, 2022

When I signed up with them, the rep was okay. He did well. However, as far as me canceling it, I talked to four of them. They wouldn't quit calling, "We've gotten no payment." I said, "I'm canceling that. I took you guys off on my bank information." The first one was snippy with me and she said, "Have a nice life then." The two that I spoke to after that, called and were very pleasant and I informed them, "I'm not renewing this." Then, the fourth phone call that I got was the guy that I initially had renewed with and I told him, "I'm not interested. I felt like I'm wasting too much money." He was very pleasant and understanding.

Hi Torrie,

We're sorry that one of our agents was less than pleasant with you. But we are proud that the other three did their jobs in the way that we expect them to. It is very rare that our customers cancel their contracts, so at times those cancellations take a bit longer to make it into the system. In addition, when someone does not pay, they are uncovered which can be a big risk, so our agents make sure to call and remind anyone that hasn't paid that they are running the risk of being uncovered. Apparently our system was too slow to update the cancellation and the four agents were trying to keep you protected during that time, so we apologize for the inconvenience of the calls but hope that the three pleasant agents will outweigh the one that was not.

American Home Protect Company Information