American Home Protect Reviews

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

ARW Home

ARW Home Reviews

About American Home Protect

American Home Protect offers a home warranty plan that helps offset the cost of covered home repairs. The company’s base warranty offers coverage for both home systems and appliances, but you can also choose from additional coverage options to tailor the warranty to your specific needs. As long as your home systems and appliances are well maintained and in good condition when you purchase the plan, their age doesn’t matter.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Unlimited repairs
    • Covers appliances and systems
    • Low deductible
    Cons
    • No upfront plan pricing
    • No online claims portal

American Home Protect Reviews

Stars Rating

• 44%
    • 12%
    • 18%
    • 10%
    • 17%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Protect?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Protect?
      Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2023

Everything went by smooth, easy and fast, and the reps were nice and helpful. I needed a plumber and they were gonna help me find one. They said that he will call me, and I was waiting for that process, but I am gonna go with somebody else. I am waiting for a call to tell them that I don't wanna set anything up. My aunt also owns a home and she recommended me a guy that she goes through.

Hi Jose,

Thank you for the review. We are glad that you see the benefit of being able to use your own technician so that you can get the service expedited. And we will let our agents know that you were pleased with their customer service!

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & SpeedRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed Dec. 17, 2023

I used American Home Protect for my fridge and garage door. For the fridge, I had to call somebody and they reimbursed me. For the garage, I'm still waiting to have somebody show up and it's been a few months. So I'm gonna have to find somebody on my own. But overall, American Home Protect has been good. When I contact them, they're good at responding. The only challenge is that they don't have people who cover garages. But if you find someone you need, they'll reimburse you. So that's good. But sometimes I want them to find somebody for me. That's why I have them.

Hi EO,

We are glad that the claim on your refrigerator was so quick and easy. One of the reasons why we allow customers to use their own technicians is so that in areas where a certain technician is not immediately available, our customers can still have their service performed. And we understand that you prefer our agents to find the technician and we are always willing to do so, but in cases where it may be faster for the customer to find a technician, we want to make sure we have the quickest route as an option. We do appreciate your feedback, and are actively adding new technicians to our network.

Claims HandlingRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2023

The people were courteous. It's just that they never honored everything that we hoped they would have honored. I filed a claim over the phone and somebody came out to look at it. We took pictures. American Home Protect gave us some money for the roof, but they gave us nothing for the glass. It's glass that covers a porch that we use a lot and we have heat out there. So, we wanna keep the glass securely. But the glass apparently leaks. So, we wanted some of the doors changed, but they didn't. So, we just left it. And we try not to turn on the heat out there because it's a waste. We also put in a claim for the central air and American Home Protect didn't honor that claim. We had to buy the whole system ourselves. We put in a claim for a leaky roof. And they just gave us $5,000. We had to find almost $4,000 out of pocket by ourselves. I thought they would pay more.

Hi Fay,

We are sorry that some of your items were not covered under the contract. We do our best to expand the coverage as much as possible. We are glad that we were able to help you with the roof, and considering that $5000 is more than the price of the full contract, we hope that you do see the value of the coverage. And we will continue expanding our coverages when possible so that our customers continue to receive the best value we can provide.

Customer ServiceCoverageOnline & App

Reviewed Dec. 10, 2023

They called me out of the blue. I wasn't sure if they were a legit company. They said, "Yeah, you gotta pay us $190 a month for home insurance." So that was kind of strange. I tried going to their website to log in to see if I have a profile. But I didn't have a profile. I couldn't see my policy coverages. I wish I had a log-in on their home page.

Hi Austin,

Thank you for the feedback. We have been actively working on implementing a user profile page for our customers. We have added the ability to file a claim online and continue trying to improve our online experience. We hope that very soon we will be able to have a complete user profile online for our customers and will notify the customer base when we are up and running.

Customer ServiceTech

Reviewed Dec. 9, 2023

I had a washer and dryer went out, and my stove went out. I had to call in to American Home and their rep was excellent. They replaced my appliances but some of the items that we received were used items and they didn't work. The techs would never come back for them and said something about not being in the contract. So, we went ahead and bought our own appliances.

Hi Walter,

Thank you for the review, we are thrilled to hear that our agents did so well. As far as the technicians, we constantly review our in-network techs to make sure their services are up to our standards, and this does not sound as if they are. We will be forwarding this case to our customer care team to investigate further and make sure that the technicians are performing up to our standards. Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate it.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingTechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 9, 2023

When I filed a claim, it got really hairy for a while. We had a dishwasher problem and a water faucet problem. We called about the dishwasher and Lowe's gave us a time when they were gonna come. We waited all day and they never showed up. I called back and got the telephone number of the company. They told us from American Home Protect that Lowe’s should have never given us a time, that only the company does that. We were running around in circles here for about eight days and my husband was getting livid.

Also, when I called customer service, we got a person who spoke Spanish and spoke very little English. Not much communication went on. We went around in circles for a few minutes and I said I would call back another time. I sort of let it slide for three or four days, and then I called back and got someone who did speak English. Finally, we did get someone here. The tech was a very nice young man. He told us what the problem was with the dishwasher and got it fixed. For the water faucet, we set the appointment up and the guy was a really nice gentleman and got it fixed. Both techs came on time and if they were gonna be a little bit late, they called.

Hi Judy,

We are happy that your service ended well, and the technicians did a great job. And thank you for your feedback about the entire process. As a company based in Texas, Spanish speaking agents are important, but we make sure our agents can speak English fluently. We will go ahead and take a listen to the call to determine if any other measures need to be taken. We are constantly striving to make our service better in any way possible, and your review will certainly be taken into consideration.

Customer ServiceTech

Reviewed Dec. 9, 2023

My experience with them has been positive. However, the process is annoying. It's not easy. The information isn't laid out in a user-friendly manner. It took me a little bit to get to the people I needed to get to to get things started. But all is well, that ends well. I was trying to clean something on the siding of my home and gave them a call. I had to give a call quite a couple of times trying to figure out who to get to, but they were able to send somebody out and clean it and all that good stuff, so perfectly fine in that regard. The tech was great. He was cool. He said it was a lot more than he had expected because I guess they didn't provide him with the right information on how big the project would be. So he didn't get everything 100% done, but I didn't notice. If he hadn't said that, I wouldn't have noticed. But it was good work, in my opinion.

Hi Craig,

Thank you for the feedback, and we are glad your service ended well. We try our best to make the process as easy as possible and continue to try new ways to streamline the process for our customers, like our online claim filing. You can rest assured that we will continue working on new ways to enhance the customer experience and make our service even better for our customers.

Reviewed Dec. 3, 2023

I ran into an issue with Home Protect in the contractual agreement and them pulling extra money. So I dropped them and I have not picked them back up since then. The amount that I was quoted was $97, and they kept pulling 190. I was only with the company for three months. When I caught that they were overcharging me, I called them and they gave me three months free since that was the amount that they pulled. I was supposed to renew in October and I did not because I had not decided whether or not I was gonna go with them still. It was a little bit agitational financially on me for them to do that.

Hi Dominik,

We apologize that you had an issue. There are two common payment plans, and it seems as if you were put on the plan to pay 18 months and receive the next 18 months of coverage with no payments. We understand that you felt put off by this and were expecting to be on a different payment plan. We would love to have the chance to protect your home again, and if you choose to re-enroll, please mention this case to the agents so we can ensure that you are on exactly the plan that you prefer.

Reviewed Dec. 3, 2023

I submitted a claim over the phone. I wasn't on the phone long for them to answer. I was very pleased with the service provided. They were professional.

Hi Lasandra,

Thank you for the review, we love to hear that our agents were so professional and helpful. We will make sure they hear how pleased you were with the service.

Claims HandlingPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2023

We had claims for the refrigerator, the stove, and the air conditioner. It was easy to submit the claims. Then in a couple of days, the contractors were here. The service was good. They were prompt.

Hi M,

We appreciate your review, and we are thrilled that we were able to help with your claims and make the process so quick and easy. Thank you for the feedback!

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2023

The guy that came out was perfect. He checked my stove. It did take him a long time to get here to get my stove fixed. I wasn't satisfied with American Home Protect because the first time I needed them to come out, I didn't have the $65. So, I canceled it and I told them I'd call them back and schedule another appointment, but they sent a tech anyway and I wasn't home. So, when I got in touch with them and set up another appointment, it took a while for them to come back out.

Hi Veronica,

We are sorry about the confusion with the technician. There are times in which technicians across the country have services scheduled for weeks or even months in advance. It is possible that the technician was extremely busy and simply had an error in the schedule. However, we are glad that your issue was resolved, and we were able to help fix your stove. Thank you for the positive review, we will use it to get even better.

Customer ServiceClaims Handling

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2023

We had a claim for the washing machine. But they didn't pay for it. When submitting the claim, it was very difficult. There were no results. Nobody ever showed up. They also did not answer any of the questions I had. Very dissatisfied.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2023

I would definitely recommend them to others. They gave me estimates. They mailed me a maintenance package and the proper number of the call and the average cost of those.

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for the feedback, we do our best to make sure our customers have all the information they might need. And we appreciate you recommending our service to others!

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Nov. 17, 2023

My experience has not been good. I'm paying for something I have never used. When I contacted them for my refrigerator, they said it wasn't covered. I also contacted them for my dishwasher and for my toilet that was stopped up. They told me they didn't have anybody in my area to service me. So, I stopped having them take payments. I'm disputing the charges because I'm not getting the services. The rep I spoke to was rude and he hung up on me.

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2023

American Home Protect is terrible. They're not local, so they don't know any local service people. What they do is try to find the cheapest person. I can't seem to get anything done. I've given them several references of service people that I need, and they said they were gonna try to find somebody but I never heard anything back. There's no communication. People I talk to don't seem to know anything. I would quit except that I had to pay $90 to begin with to join this company and it's costing me $90 a month for nothing.

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2023

I'm gonna cancel American Home Protect because I don't know who to contact. I've been paying for this insurance every month but my faucet, the spray part, doesn't work. My dishwasher also doesn't work.

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2023

American Home Protect was very professional and let me know what everything was about and what was covered. They're a good company. They'll work for you.

Hi Donald,

Thank you for the review. We are glad to hear that our agents were able to help you so well, and those same agents will be here for you whenever you need our help.

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2023

When I signed up with them, it was good. I see a good value in their coverage.

Hi Joycenetta,

We are glad your sign-up process was so great, and we appreciate your review!

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2023

American Home Protect is good, reliable, and fair, and the times that I've spoken to a representative, the interactions have been cordial.

Hi Olufunsho,

Thank you for your review. We are proud of the service our agents provide, and we are thrilled to hear your experience was so great.

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2023

American Home Protect didn't turn out to be what I expected. When I needed them, they didn't do anything. We had all kinds of thunderstorms and lightning for several days, and it blew out part of the air conditioner. I called them up about it and they said they didn't do it. So I had to use my homeowners insurance to pay for it. The American Home Protect reps wouldn't listen to me. They didn't wanna talk to me. It sucked. They were dismissive. So, I cancelled them.

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2023

When I call, the contractors come out. It's three days if it's a weekend but they usually come out pretty good. They keep me posted when the person comes and does the work. They come out, do the work and take the trash with them. It'd be perfect if American Home Protect could bring the price down to at least $200.

Hi B,

We are happy to hear that our technicians have done such a great job for you. We work hard to make sure that our customers are receiving a great value, and always look at ways to give the best service possible for the lowest price. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to look for ways to get even better.

Price

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2023

The American Home Protect rep was really nice. The cost was higher with American Home Protect, but he was telling me that the other company was just new and they're not a good policy. So, that was why I kept American Home Protect.

Hi Mary,

Thank you for the review, we are glad that our agent provided all the information you needed to make your decision. Those same great agents will be there to help whenever you have an issue!

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2023

When I was going to renew my previous home warranty, American Home Protect gave me a better price so I went with them. Everything went pretty smoothly during the signup. The agent that I got was very informative and sent everything to my email right away. They're a little bit more accessible than the warranty I had and everything's been pretty good so far.

Hi Rosa,

We are glad that we were able to offer a better price and service. Our company is always looking for the best ways to give more value to our customers. Thank you for your feedback!

Claims HandlingTechPrice

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2023

American Home Protect is excellent. This is my second year with them, and I have no complaints. Their price very competitive too. I had three instances where I had to file a claim, and it was very easy. All I had to do was stay out of the way. The American Home Protect reps are always cordial. They make sure I get to the right department depending on what my problem is in my home, and they always send commercial repair people, names that I'm familiar with. They've always sent me the same company, so they're always letting me know what they repaired and why it needed to be repaired. If there was a 30- or 90-day warranty on it, they’d tell me. It doesn't get much better than that.

Hi Russell,

Thank you for the great review. Our agents work hard to make sure that each customer receives great service and that we only send the top-rated technicians. It is great to hear that you have been so pleased with our agents and technicians. We are thrilled to see that our efforts are being noticed by our customers!

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingTechPricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2023

I had to put in a claim for someone to come by to fix the light bulb in my kitchen. But they never came. So I was very disappointed. American Home Protect said, "Oh, we already have it. We have it. And they're supposed to call you." But I have not gotten a phone call from them yet. So I don't have any electricity in that area.

When I would call for a work order, American Home Protect would tell me they would send somebody. They would send me somebody but it would be a couple of weeks later. The cherry on that frosting was it was summer and the air conditioner went out. They were sending out people, but they couldn't fix the air conditioner. That was a little bit frustrating. Some of the parts were not in stock anymore and the tech told this to American Home Protect. Long story short, it got so bad that they ended up having to put a whole new system in. But it took three months. We had to buy window air conditioners for three months because they couldn't get it together.

When we first got American Home Protect, I had a problem with our microwave. The guy came in and fixed it. So I was excited about it. It wasn't as elaborate or as expensive as an air conditioning claim. But for me, to get something done on the same day and fixed and to this day I don't have any problems was exciting. I was just very disappointed with the electrical claim.

We're paying the monthly fees for this service and it's hard to trust when you can't get any response. When I call in a claim, I usually get a customer service representative. She knows my address because that's part of the information that's already in the system. She asked me, “What's going on?” I usually ask her, "Is this part of my protection plan?" She says it is and that I have the deluxe plan. Then she'll give me a customer number. But the last two times that I called American Home Protect to tell them, "Hey, I haven't gotten anybody here." They told me that they have the claim number and that they were sending somebody out. Then the second time, "Well, we'll send somebody else." But I'm still waiting and we're almost at the end of September.

Customer ServiceClaims Handling

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2023

I filed a few claims and the process had been pretty smooth other than this last time. My dryer stopped heating and it was a little bit longer than normal. It's been almost two weeks and they finally came out and then it's almost been another week since they've been out, and I'm still waiting on them to either call me to let me know they have the part to fix what I need. But in the past, I've had no complaints. Their customer service has always been pretty good. There's always been really good communication on the other end and they usually get things taken care of.

Hi Naomi,

We are glad to hear that all the previous claims were easy and quick, and we apologize that this claim took a bit longer than normal. We are always evaluating our technicians for their response and repair time, so we will use your review to get even better. Thank you for the feedback.

Claims HandlingCoverageTech

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2023

When we have a claim, they give us the company name of the contractor and the tech's name ahead of time. We've gotten very good contractors so far. I like that with the policy, I have one less thing to worry about. Give them a try. They're reliable.

Hi Gregory,

We spend a lot of time vetting our technicians, and it’s great to hear that our efforts are worthwhile. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2023

Signing up for the coverage was fine. They explained everything to a tee and a little better than anybody else did. They said the policy would cover my furnace, outside unit, heating and air and hot water heater. American Home Protect covers a lot of things when it comes to a home.

Hi Undray,

Thank you for your review. We do cover a lot, and are always looking for other ways to help our customers with more additions.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed Sept. 10, 2023

American Home Protect's plan was good. At the time I signed up, I had a great job and I was doing well financially. So, I got a good plan. Plus, I had no insurance on my appliances and furnace. So this warranty was a backup plan. I like the deal. It was cool. The rep was straightforward and he answered all my questions. So far, I would tell others that getting American Home is a good idea. I haven't filed any claims yet but as far as customer service, it's good. I did call recently to adjust some stuff, and the customer service was excellent then. So as far as customer service, I would recommend American Home.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your review. Our agents work hard to ensure that our customer care is world class. The same great agents will be ready to assist when an appliance breaks down.

Reviewed Sept. 10, 2023

Signing up with them was easy. Their customer service was good.

Hi Yvette,

Thank you for the response. We are glad to hear our agents made your process so easy.

American Home Protect Company Information

americanhomeprotectllc.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: