4.2/5 (552 reviews)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2023

The installer was knowledgeable about the system and able to explain how it worked. When the alarm goes off, I'm able to get it handled quickly.

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us, we appreciate the feedback!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2023

I'm very satisfied with ADT. The serviceman and the salesman that came out did exactly what they said they were gonna do. ADT is the best in the business.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2023

I don't like that I have to keep charging my doorbell camera every two weeks. When it was installed, the gentleman said that we didn't have to charge it for months.

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us! We’re sorry to hear about this experience and we would like to further assist you in getting this resolved. Please reach out to us directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com. Please include the address/phone number to the account and a copy of your post.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2023

I had an ADT system in California. When I moved here, I got another system. I like the it. It's simple. It works and it's not hard to keep functioning. It's reliable. I like the level of service too. They respond very quickly. They try to address the issue over the phone and if they can't, they send someone out immediately.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2023

I feel secure having a home security system with ADT. I chose them after seeing the good reviews and the price.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

I had a positive experience with my ADT sales rep and their intallers were very nice. I've been a customer for six years and I'm very happy with it. I like that they monitor things so well. I can monitor things on my phone too.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

We had one service call to ADT to adjust one of the sensors and it was taken care of without issue. As far as the alarm system, I've got an app that I'm able to monitor what's going on and be able to test the system and get information on it right from my phone. So, it's very user-friendly from that perspective. I like that ADT is nationwide and when we're not here, we got someone or a way to make sure that things are still secure and safe.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

We've had ADT for a long time and we recently upgraded to video cameras. Customer service has been good. I had a couple of things where I had to redo the back sliding glass doors to the patio. To do that, I had to pull down the sensors. I contacted ADT and a guy walked me through. He said, “Real simple just to do it yourself. I'll tell you the package.” It was really an easy and good conversation. He was very clear and understanding of what I needed. The benefit of ADT is just having a home security system. They provide a good service. But they need to bundle the doorbell into the system as opposed to having the Google doorbell. They're working with that and they told me that that was coming in the near future. The only thing is I can get security systems for cheaper than ADT.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

I have two cameras and an alarm. I'm very satisfied with the features of the package I purchased. With my signs outside, the system works and nobody is trying to break in. The sign is a big thing for a person to have in a yard so people know you are protected.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

We have phone service, alarm and internet with ADT. They have not gotten my phone service straightened out yet. It's not ringing when it should ring and then again it's ringing and nobody's calling. So, it's a mess. As far as the alarm, sometimes when I go out the door or I come in, cut it off, and I come in, I can't get it to shut off right and when it needs to. Then sometimes, it'll just trip itself. So far, the system has been okay even though it's not the more and up to date one. As far as with the clarity of it and getting it set on and off, I had some issues with it. Overall, since having the system, I have a sense of security with it that I believe that I wouldn't have if I didn't have it. ADT gives real good service.

ADT response

Hello. Thank you for your review and feedback! Please reach out to us at 1-800-238-2727 so we can help address any concerns with the how the system alarms or how it communicates via the landline / cell communication, etc.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

When we had the appointment, the tech came in and explained how the system works, how the monitoring would be, and all the permits. We're very satisfied. He had to come in a couple of times because the cameras were disconnecting. So, he had to reprogram it.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2023

The package that I got from ADT was great. It tells me anybody who's at the door. The installer who came out was also great. He answered any questions I had and he was quick.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2023

We've had ADT for 11 years now. We recently upgraded our system to a newer system. We got the updated touchscreen control panel. We added the fire monitoring system, the fire detectors and the Google Nest doorbell. It is fairly easy to work the new upgrade cause we got that Google Nest inside the house on the kitchen counter and all we gotta do is set the alarm system and turn it off. The gentleman that came out absolutely knew what he was doing. He walked us through step by step setting everything up. Any time we had an issue with the system or a code, we would just call customer service and they’d automatically assist us. However, we had the manual for the ADT system and it didn't cover the battery. So, we had to go online to look that up.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2023

I love ADT. They do a perfect job. They're fast with helping me with issues. If they call me, they would walk me through things. That way, they would not have to come out and I would do things myself. It would save them a trip because I live way out in the country.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

ADT is very reliable. Their equipment is very good. They're friendly, knowledgeable about their equipment, and their people are very good at what they do. When we have an issue or problem, we've been able to contact ADT and they've been able to answer the questions over the telephone and have us do things on the keypad that it worked well. They also needed to replace some things in the house like smoke detectors and they were right on the spot with replacing them.

Performance-wise, they seemed right on the spot as far as when there was an issue or a problem, they were right there. And if we didn't get a chance to shut the alarm off before it went off, it worked very good as far as something I wouldn't wanna be coming into as a burglar. Sometimes, we have a sensor issue as far as the door’s not closing correctly or tightly enough. Or if something shows up on the keypad that I didn't understand, I've been able to call ADT and they could walk me through how to fix it or ignore the area that's bad until they sent somebody out to check it out. If they couldn't fix it over the phone, they have a good response time as far as sending somebody out to look at the issue and straightening it out.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

We had a few issues with wiring to our internal system that ADT's techs had to replace. They also had seven units they had to readjust. But everything got done in a pretty timely manner. Their reps were great and very thorough. So far, we have 45 units and on good days, we can cover all our own power.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

1) A few months ago, my alarm went off for about four minutes and nobody called, no policeman showed, no nothing. For ADT it was like it never happened at all. If it were a real emergency, I would be dead now. 2) The more recent problem, last week I called because my garage door sensor isn't working. Your troubleshooting department told me it was probably the magnet so you proceeded to ship me a magnet replacement kit. Upon arrival, I called the ADT troubleshooting department again and I was instructed and guided to replace the magnet. Upon replacing it, the issue wasn't fixed. I requested for a technician to come over to replace the sensor and fix the problem cause I'm tired of calling and being transferred from department to department without a solution.

When I asked for the technician, the troubleshooting lady told me "oohhh it seems that you are supposed to be supported by a local dealer, Safe Haven. They would need to be the ones doing the sensor replacement, let me transfer the call to them". The call was transferred, then the Safe Haven representative told me, "Well, I can no longer service you free of charge because you tampered with the sensor. You will need to pay $89.99 for a new sensor and $59.99 for the visit/installation. This will need to be serviced by ADT because they instructed you to make the replacement. Let me transfer your call to ADT".

The call was transferred back to ADT, and the guy who is now handling my call, Selvin from the tech or troubleshooting department (didn't want to tell me his last name), tells me that they cannot help and it should be Safe Haven. I explained the whole situation once again cause I didn't make the choice to replace the magnet, ADT instructed me to do so. He stands by his position that he cannot help me or send anybody. I asked for a supervisor, he said that there were no supervisors and couldn't give me a name of one. The most he could do is schedule a callback from the supervisor. I told him, ok do it. He said he scheduled it and I'm still awaiting that callback and my problem is still without a solution for a situation that ADT created.

ADT response

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

Most of the time, our issue has either been a camera or the doorbell alarm didn't work. ADT came out and they were very helpful. We had a company one time that went to get a bottle of water out in the garage and it put the alarm off. ADT was very quick to call and react. So, it feels good that they're right on the ball. We're glad we have everything we have.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

After a 20 plus year relationship, in mid November of 2022, our main pad became frozen with an error code. I called ADT customer service and was transferred to technical support. I spent over two hours attempting to troubleshoot the issue to no avail. Tech support made an appointment for a tech visit which they did not show up for. The next day I learned that the visit was intended to be another phone session? Over the next two weeks I could not get any one in customer service, sales department, service department or online to speak to me. By the end of November (still without protection) I decided to contract with another company. After being unable to speak to someone at ADT to cancel, I had to cancel credit card auto billing. Two and a half months later (Jan 2023) ADT is continuing to bill us (now for the third month) and threatening that the billing will continue. We have not had any service from ADT since mid November when their panel froze.

OUR ​UPDATE​. Within 12 hours of me posting the above complaint, I received a text from ADT collections. So the ADT collections department are still actively pursuing me. Another complaint I have is the "debt due" changed overnight. Yesterday I was told it was over $137. The notice I received this morning said over $117. So now I have an additional complaint that the collections department has no idea what they are doing.

Update Jan 31, 2023. ADT responded with an email on Jan 27. The call list within their email shows only two calls. My phone log shows I contacted them 6 times between Nov 16 and Nov 21. I attempted to work with their customer service and service tech to resolve the error making my system unusable. My attempts to contact ADT numerous times to cancel resulted in being put on hold for a excessive wait times before hanging up in frustration. One example is November 21 for three calls, all fruitless. I spoke with three separate individuals requesting cancellation. I gave ADT until Nov 28 before researching other companies. The author of the email is the fourth person I have told I wish to cancel. ADT continues to bill me.

ADT response

Hi Venus- Thank you for your post to our Consumer Affairs' page. It is important to note that, ADT has received multiple emails regarding these concerns. ADT has acknowledged your concerns, and responded a few different times to the email thread. Our sincerest apologies for the troubles, however in order to proceed further we need the following info provided back, as requested in the email. Your account verbal PW or customer number, and a signed letter of intent to cancel. Once those are received ADT can assist accordingly with your request. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

The application process was a little pain. It was because when I first started, I had a guy that didn't know what he was doing. He was just a guy that sells the stuff. Then another guy came in and did the installation. He fixed everything up for me. The package that I got took a little negotiating, but I was pretty satisfied with it. I didn't get everything I wanted, but I got most of it. When the alarm went off and we didn't quite get there fast enough, we got a call from ADT and they were real nice about it. We gave them the code, and everything was all done. It was pretty good. The time that it took them to call me wasn't very long at all.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

The tech who did the installation was very helpful and quite a gentleman. A matter of fact, he came twice for the initial set up and when there was a battery that he had to replace. I also replaced the small batteries a couple of times. When the system wasn't getting a signal, ADT's reps would call me. Then recently, there was a problem with not getting a signal from the home system and about a week and a half ago, a technician came. Everything was well scheduled and he did a minor adjustment. He also taught me how to do things on the system and now, if that code ever pops up again, I know what to do. ADT's reps are very friendly and try and instruct you as much as they can. I like to deal with a person and not so much just the computer, and they've been very good with that. They have good bedside manners, too.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I signed up originally with a security company called Ackerman and ever since ADT bought them, it's been terrible so I would like to get rid of it. I tried to call Ackerman and they said I had to call ADT. Nobody ever told me that I wasn't with Ackerman. I tried to call ADT and I went through about 12 different people and I never talked to anybody live. Finally, I got a little live person and they said they could not help me. I've had a very poor experience so far.

I don't like the program and my system sucks. I tried to tell ADT that the thing is not working and they won't let me talk to anybody that will help me. All they wanna do is sell more stuff. I'm not into buying and I'm into getting it fixed. My system was beeping like crazy and telling me to change the battery. I've been changing the $26 batteries about four times a year. It's an outdated system. Last time, I had a person here to look at it and he said that this system is gone. We can't even get parts for it so he is gonna get us a new system. But we never got a new one. I'll just quit sending ADT money and let them come after me. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

ADT was reasonably priced and it's been around forever. My experience with them has been good. When I call, there's someone to pick up. I've got everything downloaded and I have all the apps. They're functioning well. The doorbell video is good. With the system at home, I feel better. ADT works.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

Having the system makes me feel more secure and their reps are very helpful. The back doorbell camera was low on battery and the rep told me how to take it apart, bring it in, plug it in, and put it back.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

My biggest complaint today is for 3 months now it has said my Nest aware subscription is expired. It is included with my cameras. I have spent hours and hours on customer service just to be transferred over and over again. They charged me a $250 electrician fee, the electrician has not come out was canceled after 60 days and that charge was not removed. Their payment system debited my account $350 but it was sent to my flexi pay not my messed up bill. Finally I said fine I will just pay again. They just debited my ach $327 twice on the same day! Now I have a very very large credit. I am sooo mad!

My cameras are just sitting places with wires hanging everywhere. They charged me an extra $50 to put the control center on my counter. Instead of just installing how they should. The tech couldn't figure out how.to make my google home work correctly so told me to call google lol. Had me sign and left. Customer service is 0. I have a contract with the wrong items on it. I signed and they didn't get me a new contract. This is problematic as they needed to have me sign the correct contract when my products changed and they just didn't bother! At this point I am disgusted and frustrated. My system has never been correctly working.

Hi Angelo,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you have been experiencing with your Nest Aware subscription and the difficulties you have had with customer service. I understand how frustrating and disappointing this must be for you. I can assure you that the agent you spoke to has already requested a refund on your behalf. Please allow some time for the refund to process.

As for your camera issues, I would recommend that you contact our tech support directly at 1 800 238 2727 at your earliest convenience. Our tech support team will be more than happy to assist you with resolving any issues you may have with your cameras.

We apologize for the inconvenience and frustration caused by these issues and will do our best to resolve them as soon as possible. Stay safe! - Mazen

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

The system works well. I've had it for 30 years. I've been pleased with it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

I love ADT. They do what they're supposed to do. If I have a problem with the system, I call them and they're on it. If I'm not at home or I don't respond right away when something happens, they're gonna call me. If I still don't respond, they're gonna call the police. I'm satisfied with the system. I'm considering adding to it.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

ADT installed alarm system in our house and we have been paying them for nearly 5 years now, and they did not inform us about Alarm permit needed to call cops. Yesterday our Alarm got triggered and I was not at home, could not reach my spouse, so had the ADT call the cops, but cops refuse to come due to us not having permit. I would think being experts in Alarm system they should at least inform the customer about the necessity of having an Alarm permit, before providing services. Paying them for 5 years, and they fail to tell a customer when they first install.

ADT response

Hello Scott. We are very sorry for this experience. Please review your contract terms as it will advise that he customer is responsible for obtaining and providing ADT with a permit number. A copy of this agreement can be found on MyADT as well.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

The service of ADT has been really good. Their techs have been great. We like the system. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

ADT works well when we leave our house and arm the system.

ADT Company Information