4.0/5 (167 ratings)

About Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware is a hardware retailer with more than 5,000 stores across the globe. Customers can shop from many different top brands to find what they need for home maintenance and repair. Many Ace hardware stores are independently owned and operated.

Ace Hardware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?

Original review: May 4, 2021

Buyer Beware! You cannot return purchases if they are USED. I purchased via Ace online a Corona ComfortGel 40.72" length weeder for about $16 plus tax, and had it delivered to a local Ace affiliated hardware store nearby, Tashmans on Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood, CA for my pickup. Unsure if this would be ideal, I left all the tags and wrap on and tried the tip out to weed. Didn't like it and returned it well within the 30 days. The clerk cheerfully gave me a credit but when the manager discovered she took back a return that was 'used' he was livid and I found myself facing off this manager who came at me as if I was going to relinquish my credit back. I was still in the store having keys made, etc.

First off, it literally had a little bit of dirt on the tip which I saw the manager easily rub off with his fingers. I had only tried it out once, maybe twice, to make sure I didn't want it. I had ended up purchasing an upgraded more expensive Corona weeder that cost $30 and that performed far superior than this long handled stick thing I had just returned. Secondly, I learned that returns can only be returned if unused. How ridiculous is that? It is at the discretion of the affiliated Ace store whether or not they accept your used return. My return was not abused or filthy and had all the tags still attached on it. All it has was a little bit of dry dirt on the tip. Literally a little bit. I do not intend to purchase anything further from Ace Hardware stores especially with this low level of customer service and satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

2nd time I've made a purchase online at my chosen store and when I arrived or called they did NOT have the item in stock they claimed to have online. Avoid doing business with this "Retailer". My mistake was making the same mistake twice. Won't happen again for any purchase!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

My husband and I used an Ace gift card on 12/30/2020 to purchase a Blackstone griddle for same day in-store pickup via their website. Approximately 2 hours after completing our online order we received an email from Ace CANCELLING the order. The reason was their local store didn’t have sufficient stock. We go back to their website to reorder the griddle from a different local Ace store, only to discover they never refunded our gift card when they canceled our order. Long story short, after 2 weeks of emailing and calling and being given countless excuses, we still had NOT received our $228.95 refund.

Since we had used a gift card and had no recourse with filing a dispute with our bank/credit card company, we ultimately felt we had no other choice but to file a complaint with BBB. Thankfully, within 2 days of filing the complaint, our problem was resolved, but it NEVER should’ve taken such extreme measures to get the refund we were RIGHTFULLY owed. We were shocked to see numerous complaints on BBB for the SAME issue. Several people fought Ace for MONTHS before being refunded!! So... BEWARE!! If you ever use an Ace gift card and have your order canceled, you may find yourself not refunded and fighting an uphill battle to get your funds back. We will NEVER shop @ Ace again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Zero stars is too generous a rating for the disservice and disrespect I received from Ace Hardware's cavalcade or contemptible curs. As far as I'm concerned, the entire operation couldn't go bankrupt fast enough to suit me. I purchased an Ace component online that failed to live up to its product specifications due to poor workmanship and inferior materials. The product, manufactured by Ace, is marked with an Ace Satisfaction Guarantee. Apparently, the Ace satisfaction guarantee isn't worth the cardboard it's printed on.

I called Ace customer service. The Ace agent instructed me to place an order for a replacement product online, using my credit card, and have the replacement item shipped to my local Ace store. I followed the Ace representative's directions to the letter. The Ace agent also instructed me to take the defective cord to my local Ace store. He said as soon as the old cord is returned to the Ace Hardware store, he would credit my credit card for the amount I paid for the replacement item. Once again, I followed the Ace customer service person's specific instructions verbatim. Did I receive a refund? No. Instead, the Ace customer service person bamboozled me into thinking I would. I attempted to speak to a supervisor about this deception, but no Ace customer support agent would connect me to one.

Do yourself a favor, folks. Make your life a helluva lot easier by taking all your business to Ace's fine competitors. Unlike the belligerent, duplicitous nincompoops at Ace, these superior business entities treat a customer as a necessity, rather than an adversary. There's an old adage in business. If you don't take care of the customer, somebody else will. Bye-bye Ace. You're a disgrace.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

Purchased a trash can and Yetti mug, with a total of $14 shipping for both. They shipped the Yetti mug, but didn’t advise the trash can was no longer available. Charged me $14 to ship the Yetti mug, which based on their site would 5.33 to ship. They are willing to give me 7 dollars back, still profiting off my shipping, not to mention. The loss of my coupon too.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I purchased a patio door handle and it was shipped on August 25, 2020 (Order # **). It arrived damaged. I tried to return it to North Plymouth (MA) Ace Hardware; the owner refused to help. After 2 phone calls (Lisette & Shelley, spelling?) on September 17th, I had an Incident # ... **. I sent pictures to the email they gave me. Another phone call (Diteria, spelling?) said I was given the wrong email address. I sent the pictures again on Sept 24th. Still no response. On October 10th I called again (Aleesha, spelling?) to check status ... still haven't heard.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

Ace Hardware is a great company when you go and shop inside the store. But be aware of online orders. Highly unprofessional customer service that barely speaks English. Items get lost, undelivered or come damaged 8 times out of 10. Stay away from online orders if you value your time and nerves!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I love the personalized service at Ace. And the last time I used their paint the color and quality were great and there was no bad smell!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

On September 15, 2020, I visited the Will-Cook Ace, 12121 W 159TH, Homer Glen, IL 60491. The purpose of my visit was to purchase paint and supplies which I spent over $150. No employee was wearing a mask which is required in Illinois. When I mentioned this to several of the employees, they did nothing to comply. One employee said it was a waste of time. The store is a locally owned business which I like to support. I can no longer support this store, I will now support Menards and Home Depot where the mask mandate is enforced.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I just purchased the Living Accents 3 pc Bistro Set from Ace Hardware. I was excited when I was notified that the order was in a day sooner than I was told it would arrive. I went and picked it up, took it home to put it together, but I could not because there was no hardware or directions to assemble it within the box. I contacted Ace Hardware's customer service and was told I would have to contact the manufacturer. I would think that Ace Hardware would stand behind the products it sells and try to make this right and contact the manufacturer on my, their customer's, behalf. I have shopped at local Ace Hardware stores for 20+ years, but that was my last purchase at Ace Hardware, the nonchalant attitude of the customer service department will make it necessary for me to spend my money elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Years ago I was introduced to woodworking and won the Industrial Arts Medallion Award and every sense I’ve had a passion in creating wood projects. I happen to go into Ace and was extremely pleased with the quality of lumber they carried. After my purchase I couldn’t wait to get started of building a pine clothing chest and was amazed how well it came out. When family saw it the orders started coming in. Three days later going back to Ace for more lumber the clerk noticed that I back and after sharing the photos of the project they too wanted a chest made. So with my new found friends at Ace I look forward to shopping there. Being at home durning this pandemic it make it easier to go right in and they know what I’m there for.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I was recently in the store to buy an air conditioner as it's hot in Portland, Oregon right now there is a head advisory and it's over 100. I am over 65 years old and even though I couldn't afford to buy it I had to because of health worries. I was not told NOT ONCE that there was no returns. My sister had a spare air conditioner she wasnt using and knowing my financial predicament gave me hers. I lugged the air conditoner back to the store UNOPENED box in perfect condition. As soon as I got in the door the same lady was only too happy to tell me I could not return it.

I said "oh yes I can" (as I was sure she was wrong). She said "do you have your receipt" and I said yes and she could not WAIT TO SHOW ME on the reciept where it said all sales final. WHY didnt she do that for me with the same excitement when she sold it to me!! Yes, it was the same lady! It's 100 degrees and I had to lug that air conditioner back out to my car. SHE DIDNT even offer to have anyone help me. I told her I will NEVER do business with your store again and I MEAN it. I am splashing this on every social network I can so I can warn others of this awful treatment!! That's how you treat your elders in your community???

Original review: July 18, 2020

Their staff knows where everything is located and will take you to the location. Their sale prices are great. Don't forget to ask for your 10% senior discount. They usually have everything that you need.

Original review: July 17, 2020

I find the ACE hardware stores much more accessible than the big box stores. In many cases they are locally owned and managed. The staff are often super knowledgeable and come up with solutions to problems I have not thought of in addition to having the needed items to accomplish the task available.

Original review: July 16, 2020

So I come from a very very small town and the ONLY hardware store we had was (Bigari’s) Ace Hardware and I could always find whatever I needed. Plus the staff is always so helpful and the store is always kept neat and clean. Highly recommend this store!

Original review: July 15, 2020

Ace Hardware is a National chain but our stores feel like neighborhood stores. The selections are good and staff very helpful. The garden section is particularly nice with a wide variety and staff that will help you with best garden choices.

Original review: July 14, 2020

This Neighborhood store is close to home with caring, honest knowledgeable employees. Even has a full line of pet care and foods And competitive pricing and saving us gas money and time. The store is kept neat and clean.

Original review: July 13, 2020

The Wilsonville Ace (Oregon) had really bad customer service. Other Ace's are great, so we drive long distances to get to the other Ace Hardwares when we need something. It's starting to be a hassle though.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Ace always has some of the more unusual and hard to find items, whether it's in their Park Road, Cornelius, or Sunset Beach store. The Park Road store in Charlotte probably has the largest collection of cabinet handles! Staff in every store are always eager to assist you with finding things.

Original review: July 11, 2020

Awesome Customer Service, their Employees knowledgable in everything I have ever needed help with, if one doesn't know they have another step in! Installing plumbing, electrical, home renovations, paint & painting, re-drilling a chair (incorrectly bored holes) & to installing the part to finish screwing together in assembling them, insulating windows for winter / summer. Which glue or adhesive to use, bug & yard spray, lawn & garden ANYTHING! Washers & parts for toilet & sinks..etc. they are the BEST ❣ beginning to end, One time I purchased some of the parts elsewhere & found it was the wrong ones, they got me straightened out & walked me thru the installation!! AWESOME STORE & SERVICE❣ I have used them for 26 years❣❣

Original review: July 10, 2020

Ace is a hybrid of the old fashioned corner hardware store and a modern warehouse store, with one big exception: Customer service. Their employees are knowledgeable and friendly. They know where items are located in the store and will take the time to answer questions about how to use a product or which product is right for the job. Frequent sales and reward cards are also a bonus. Smaller sizes stores are also easy to get in and out of. I like my neighborhood Ace and the manager knows me and greets me when I walk in. I recommend Ace Hardware. It's a friendly place.

Original review: July 9, 2020

My local Ace Hardware is a family-owned business. The staff are friendly, helpful and courteous. While I've bought many items there (from Benjamin Moore paint to a Stihl electric saw); it is their garden department I like the best. I've found heirloom seeds, organic fertilizer, hand tools and a wheelbarrow. They also sell topsoil and healthy plants. I can have keys made there, can purchase a gift item (bird houses, chimes, etc.), find plumbing and lighting fixtures. The store is clean, well lit and even boasts of housing a small post office.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I shop mostly at Home Depot because it is so close to my house, but I've found that when I want to purchase larger items that Ace Hardware has better customer service. They are smaller and are more willing to earn the trust of the customer. I can also take my (chainsaw and e-mower) back to Ace for servicing. I appreciate the extra steps they take to make sure that I am a satisfied customer.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I went to my local Ace hardware with a plumbing problem. The employee, Uncle Willie, wanted me. He not only helped me select the right parts, he show me how to correctly install them. He said if I had any problems please come back for help. He was so helpful that when I needed glass cut to install in my front door he was right there. Big shout out to my local Ace Hardware.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I have always been so pleased by the customer service and the mom and pop owned feel of any Ace hardware in any city I have lived. Their employees go above and beyond to help you with what you need, even if it means sending you to a competitor because they don’t have what you’re looking for.

Original review: July 5, 2020

Local hardware and they help when needed. They will order items not in stock. Prices are somewhat higher than on line, but you can see what you are buying. I buy local when I can. I have to drive about 15 miles but I go into town to get food anyway.

Original review: July 4, 2020

Helpful, courteous and quick! Those are some of the words I describe the service I got from Ace Hardware. I went in for a store pick up and I went in and they were more than ready to help me with my pickup order! Thank you!

Original review: July 3, 2020

Every Ace Hardware location I’ve ever shopped in has always been well stocked. The staff is always very accommodating & helpful. Most items are fairly priced. I like the small hardware store feel compared to a larger store.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I went to the Ace Hardware in Fluvanna Va. Masks are mandated here, yet no one was wearing them. After getting several unfriendly stares, and no offer of help from the staff in finding my item, I left.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I ordered something from acehardware.com on June 14, was suppose to be shipped to store for pick up by June 21st. Nothing was shipped nor was it even picked up from the warehouse to send. 2 hrs on hold!!!

Ace Hardware Company Information