3.4/5 (692 ratings)

About Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware is a hardware retailer with more than 5,000 stores across the globe. Customers can shop from many different top brands to find what they need for home maintenance and repair. Many Ace hardware stores are independently owned and operated.

Ace Hardware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?

Original review: May 28, 2020

Store manager in Buffalo WY, Darren, will not deliver my online order despite customer service telling me my order is at his store. Darren will not help me cancel my order and get a refund either. Customer service has not responded to repeated emails about cancelling my order for a refund either. My order and money is being kept illegally by Darren and Ace hardware.

Original review: May 27, 2020

Two weeks ago, I ordered 12 cans of spray paint online. I received a confirmation E-mail. It said they would send updates as they became available. A week went by. As I checked the status online, it said “preparing to ship”. It said this for another week. I tried to inquire via E-Mail. The link did not work. I then called the customer care number. I spoke with Mike. He said the order had left the warehouse in Pennsylvania. It was at the Colorado service center. He thought this was in Colorado Springs. He told me I would have it in a couple of days.

Five days later I called again. This time I spoke with Dana. He could not verify where the order was, however promised to call me back with an update. Three hours later I received an E-Mail informing me my order had been cancelled. No reason why, just canceled. In addition, each time I called the “customer care line” I waited over three hours to speak with a representative. Didn’t have any choice due to the E-Mail link not working. Great customer service Ace Hardware!!!!

Original review: May 21, 2020

I made several phone calls and in every case the message says there will be a 30 min delay in answering. 30 mins turn into never. I resort to sending a couple emails to address my issue. Although I received an auto acknowledgement each time, there was still no reply regarding my issue. The issue being a purchase made that I was unable to get my $5 discount on the purchase. The online purchase would not accept the code they gave me for joining their rewards program. When I went into the store, it was stated that the system would not allow them to make the adjustment. This is a scan Ace Hardware is running. I will avoid dealing with them. The customer service is obviously either lazy or have been taught to deceive customers rather than follow through with providing the discount. Purchase your products elsewhere where you don't have these hassles.

Original review: May 20, 2020

As you know that due to Covid-19 many of us have been stuck at home, well I have taken this time to indulge in my creative side. I started to create mirrors out of old windows. Well this is a new process for me so I had many questions and kinks to figure out. Ace Hardware answered all of my questions and filled my cart with the proper supplies. Now I am on my way! Thank You Ace Hardware!

Original review: May 17, 2020

Do not use this store for remodeling. The stores computer and the salesperson working the computer did not correctly allow for correct size of kitchen appliance and store manager refuses to correct this error. Very unprofessional and not consumer driven. It would be so simple for them to correct the error but as a result of their prompting and management this has been drawn out for over a year with no satisfactory response or resolution. The manager, Ron, was supposed to contact me via phone and has thus far failed to do so. On the whole, very unprofessional and not consumer driven. Though no fault of my own I am left with a disaster. Gone are the days when such a service company would stand by their product and employee/sales representative, correct their errors and work diligently to resolve such horrific remodeling results.

There is nothing worse than having an unfinished project with the store not correcting their own grave error. This has truly been a nightmare. A very sad nightmare. I wanted to support my community and got majorly burned with an unfinished project and a totally remodeled kitchen that cannot accommodate all the appliances. Any suggestions on how to have this store step up and correct their error?

Instead of this store learning from this major failing on their part, correcting their error and making sure that this never happens to another customer they will not correct their error on this sole project and finish my kitchen so all my appliances will fit IN the remodeled kitchen. Buyer beware!! This could happen to you! This company and store will not stand by the remodeling plans that they perform. If anyone has any further ideas on how to resolve this disaster of a matter I would greatly appreciate your input.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I ordered 2 bags of fertilizer 15,000 sqft. They only shipped one and charged me for 2. When I called them to alert them to their error. They called me a liar. Told me that both were delivered. Refused to refund my money or correct the shipment error. I filed a complaint with Paypal. They sided with the seller, saying it was delivered. Neither company provided me any proof. I never got my second bag or my money back. They stole my money. The only thing I could do is file a complaint with the FTC for unfair trade practices. You see paypal denied my claim instantly. Like the server did some math to find out how much the seller paid in fees last year. Whomever paid more to paypal wins the dispute. Despicable. I'll never use either of these companies for anything ever again. I work hard for my money. They stole it. If this was the old west, their general stores wouldn't exist. Back then we shot these filthy bastards in the street when they stole from us.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Had to order some soil to pick up there. It took minutes for someone to find it, then I said thank you, the person said nothing! The worse at the Granger store in Granger In. I would have thought since it is May, might of had soil in stock, the store in Mishawaka has MUCH better service.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I didn’t actually order anything from this company. My PayPal account was hacked and when I took the issue to the company they ignored me and took the money out anyway. Now I’m down $500 and no product - the hackers got what they want and so did Ace! PayPal says the issue has to be resolved by Ace so I’m not expecting I’ll ever see my money again! I would not recommend anyone shopping here ever and if you do shop with caution!

Original review: April 19, 2020

Tried to bring back a garbage disposal that did not sound right. But I had to have receipt. When I finally found it the manager “Chuck” said, "No way. Get it out of here. Been too long." It had 2yr warranty. It’s been a couple months because you said I have to have receipt even though I bought it from him. This is why we run into every single time we have to return or exchange an item. Many times you buy two or three things just because you're not sure if it will be the right one and they say, "Just bring the one you don’t open back." But people need to know they will give you grief if you do. We support local business but this is where you start telling people to go somewhere else. But it is convenient to get that one bolt you may need.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I placed an online order from Ace Hardware to be delivered to my house. It was supposed to be delivered in two days. After 4 days I contacted customer service. They said my order was still being processed. I asked why I wasn’t able to track the order like it promised online. They said I would be able to once it was processed. They were unable to tell me how long that would take. They weren’t able to tell me when the order would arrive even though it was already past delivery date. They never contacted me. All of the conversation came after I contacted them. I asked to cancel the order and they said I was unable to even though they hadn’t started the order. I will never use Ace again for anything. Their customer service was not helpful and rude.

Original review: March 30, 2020

I was sent to Ace Hardware from Home Depot because the key I needed copied was not within Home Depot's ability. Fortunately the Maitland Ace Hardware had their doors opened today. Many businesses in the city of Orlando have been ordered to close their doors indefinitely because of a virus. The gentleman at the front cash register greeted me and directed me to where keys are made within the store. The gentleman running this department was equally pleasant and efficient. I left with two copies of my screen door key. I appreciate quality hardware stores and having used this store in the past I thought it appropriate to give some kudos to the guys running it during a trying time for many businesses.

Original review: March 26, 2020

Buyer beware. 1st issue they say you will not be billed till order is filled. WRONG. Promise same day in store pickup but have no idea of store inventory. When you do cancel an order you are told 7 to 10 days to get a refund on something you shouldn't have been billed for yet since order can't be filled. The lady whom I spoke to was very limited in what she could do obviously. I don't hold her responsible for a horribly managed system. I will not ever bother with Ace Hardware again unless it is the very last resort.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Ace has the most knowledgeable people hands down... they also have a "work counter" where you can use their tools to take something apart that you need to buy a portion of it. NO big box store does that!!! And now they DELIVER???!!! WOW!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I have now ordered items three times online from Ace.com. All three time just got worst. Each time I received an email saying that my order was in and I could pick it up. When I went to the store the first time, they acted as if they didn't know what then email meant and that it was not in. After LOTS of persistence, they suddenly found the item. Then second time I got the same email, and when I went to the store they claimed it was not it. They FINALLY found one out of three items and said they would deliver the other two. After two weeks of hearing nothing, I called and they said it would be in the next day. It finally was, but they had trouble finding it again. The first order totally confused the store staff. After three attempts it finally was delivered. I will never use this service again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I love Ace Hardware, they will actually take the time to assist you with your shopping needs. If you buy a chainsaw they make sure it runs and that they show you what you will need to know about running and starting the saw up. Just great people and great service.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Hi, Went to Ace Hardware this morning as I needed 1 bottle of propane Filled not exchanged. "Sorry can’t do that. But, that guy right there can do it? No we are short staffed on Sundays." But there is no customers here? Sorry. Went to Sweeny's on Rt 12 in Lake Zurich. It was 15.00 to fill. Ace is 20.00.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

The Bullseye Power Nozzle was advertised $9.99 on its website but actually sale in stores for $11.99, or 20% more! ACE's explanation was that its stores were independently owned. Nevertheless, if the advertising prices were not the actual sales prices, what was its purpose of advertising?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I looked for a Yeti M30 hopper cooler for a few days. When I finally decided to purchase the cooler that I had seen on Ace Hardware online inputted my information and ready to submit it crashed. I called customer service and and was notified that it was an error in their system and the product was another cooler. So instead of getting the 15% off I would have to pay the original price. The customer service agent was polite, but was completely oblivious to my experience. After I had explained to her about the price discount and how I was trying to order it online, she insisted that I go into a store and order it. This is the classic bait and switch.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

The people who work there are very customer oriented and work hard to ensure your satisfaction. If one person cannot address your question, they will locate someone in the store who can. If they do not have a particular item, they will let you know what other store might have it...very helpful!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I went to Ace because Lowe's didn't have what I was looking for. Imagine that. So I walk into Ace and a store rep walked up to me and I asked if they had the screws I'm looking for. He said "why yes we do, come with me". I liked how he took me right to them and I didn't have to search like I DID at other stores. I got exactly what I wanted at a very good price. And I appreciated him not trying to sell me something I wasn't wanting.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Our local Ace stores are always have knowledgeable and friendly staff. They are able to answer questions about the products they stick and are willing to help show you how to tackle your home improvement problems.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

The knowledge of the employees are almost worth the higher cost on some items...it is quiet and not TOO big and overwhelming. The store also sells some local products like raw honey. They have great clearance items throughout the store and the display method make it easy for finding things!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

It was in the neighborhood closer than Home Depot.. The appearance of the store looks overwhelming as if they’re trying to stuff some of everything in the store in order to compete with a big box store. Prices were definitely more expensive.. not sure who their demographic is? It reminds me of an old school mom and pop hardware store.. I’d suggest that they’d ale back inventory and specialize in the hard to find items. Specialty ordering etc.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Whatever we need for our home improvements Ace Hardware always has the item or will order it for us. From tools, to paint, to plumbing when we re plumbed our bathroom to update our old plumbing and odd sizing nails or screws.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My local Ace has always been known as a family owned store, and it has a very high level of service. They have a frequent user system of rewards, recognize you promptly and greet you, and have two storefronts worth of merchandise. That includes quality kitchen and bath items. In the Summer, they carry mulch and topsoil which they will load into your car for you. Shopping there is a convenience and a pleasure.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

Ace is the neighborhood place to go for hard to find home improvement items. They stock hard to find items and you can purchase individual nails and screws as supposed to buying in bulk at larger stores. The associates are usually friendly and will give you personal attention (try finding help in Home Depot...haha). They always have a good sale and they have started selling items from the Grommet. I've found neat kitchen items there.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

ACE Hardware is a mainstay. OSH is now gone, small town hardware and lumber stores are gone and Home Depot and ACE remain. ACE offers the customer service I need when I go into a hardware store to find that unique Do-A-Ma-Hickey, rent equipment or unique gift. Ace Hardware's unique communication setup is awesome and they always have a great staff on hand to help me with whatever I need.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Ace hardware in Thousand Oaks location has a variety of product as well as household products exactly like the previous store Orchard. They should concentrate on hardware product more. Every time, we need a hardware product, we have to go to a real hardware store like Home Depot. Special product and price is another factor I choose other hardware store.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

ACE is a bit farther away than Lowe's or Home Depot. But, when I need something specific (that I usually cannot find at the big box) I will go to ACE. Especially when I need nails, screws, nuts/bolts, etc. The customer service is EXCELLENT! The employees are not only helpful and available, they are knowledgeable - something you do not usually find at the big box stores.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

Great personal service. Good selection. Fair prices. They have a very friendly staff. Easy parking. The store is clean and well laid out. The shopping is easier and faster than the big box stores. Although they might not have as big a selection as the big box stores they almost always have what I need.

Ace Hardware Company Information