2. Homeowners
  3. Lighting Stores

3.9/5 (187 ratings)

About Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware is a hardware retailer with more than 5,000 stores across the globe. Customers can shop from many different top brands to find what they need for home maintenance and repair. Many Ace hardware stores are independently owned and operated.

Ace Hardware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Ace DOES NOT accept returns!!! You buy the product, you eat it!!!! Unlike other businesses that take returns without delay with explanation about the reason for the return, Ace simply says IF IT DOESN'T WORK OR YOU DON'T LIKE IT, TOO BAD, NO RETURNS!!!! That is a unacceptable business practice in today's marketplace!! There are MANY other business places that offer the same type of products without ANY return hassles. These other businesses are happy to have a happy customer who they know will continue to do business in good faith with a reputable retailer. ACE no longer gets our business as they provide inferior product advice and NO RECONCILIATION for return products!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

This product is uninstallable. The directions are completely unclear and unhelpful. They are incomplete and make it impossible to install. Don't buy it. I tried to write a review of this product at the Ace Hardware review page and it rejected my review because it was negative. I won't deal with Ace anymore.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

My online order hadn't been pulled by the next day. How long does it have to take? How long do you have to wait for the manager to get off the phone? Why do they tell you not to get the items yourself? Ace Care Center hasn't answered the questions, but I did get a meaningless apology that was more like a dismissal. Some companies must have trouble getting managers who actually do their jobs well. Ace managers aren't as helpful as they used to be.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I'm a Senior Citizen and a Cancer survivor. I wanted to touch up my basement wall, I always go to ACE because of the quality of paint and everyone is so nice like ACE LOGO "THE HELPFUL PLACE"...Well my experience was not helpful. The Manager his name is **. 1025 N. Arlington Ave. Indianapolis, Indiana 46219. He was VERY RUDE. Was not willing to help me at all. He told me that he is not allowed to explain to me what the product was and what it does. I continue to ask ** if I'm getting the right product. He just looked at me so I said ok. I left the store and I called to speak to a manager. He (**) got on the phone. He said, "I'm the manager." I asked ** why you choose not to help me, I said all I wanted is to purchase some paint. He was still rude to me. I said I'm calling the Corporate office. He said "I DON'T CARE!" I had to drive across town to The Home Depot to get paint????

Original review: July 22, 2019

I love Ace Hardware. They're personal connection with customers is unmatchable. However, Ace needs to quit carrying the Envirostone Umbrella Base. I purchased one in white, and the paint started to lift and chip in less than a couple weeks. Very disappointed...

Original review: July 4, 2019

Ordered several bags of water softener salt as I do occasionally. Got called to pick up and when I came in, they were one bag short. Store manager told me he'll have next day and will call me. Never called. Called store. Told it was there. Went into store, of course it wasn't there. Called back following day, told it wasn't delivered because of holiday which was the day after I came in twice for the bag. I asked for the store to deliver, since it's 5 mile round trip each time. They refuse. Called customer "care" - also refused. Not the way to treat a customer. Will never shop there again.

Original review: May 6, 2019

About 2 years ago I bought an Echo Trimmer at 438 Blue Valley Dr, Bangor, PA 18013 and it worked great until recently at which time I checked the warranty and it was still under coverage. I recall when I purchased the trimmer how nice the associate was and how he reassured me that if there were ever any problems I should just return it and as long as it was still was under warranty it would be fixed free of charge.

As luck would have it the associate is still working at the same exact store and when I called to get information on next steps he told me to bring it in, he checked and it was still under warranty. I brought the trimmer in last Thursday and was called today to be told they were not going to fix it because they came to the conclusion that I didn't have a shield on the product when using which I told them was not the case.

I told them to let me know when I could pick up the trimmer because I am so fed up with the same old story, when you buy something it's great service but when something goes wrong it's the customer's fault. I have no plans on ever shopping at Ace Hardware again. I will also never buy an Echo product again. Complaints will be made to the Better Business Bureau. I'm also planning on posting to any sites on the internet that I can find relative to this so it doesn't happen to someone else. I find it amazing that someone could figure out that I wasn't using a shield when I was every time I used the product and now my warranty is no longer valid. It's sad that Ace Hardware who has commercials about being helpful really isn't at all.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I ordered a patio set online from Ace Hardware. I was charged for it. Everything was fine. Waited for a email saying when it’s gonna be delivered. Called the store. They said nothing in system. Hmm... But was charged. Then I had to do a second order because they canceled the first order. Finally received it but was never refunded the amount from first order which by the way the store canceled. I’ve been emailing them showing them all the proof but nothing but run around so I’m taking further action!! Just stay away. Horrible business and they give you the run around and still I’m out 447.00.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Stopped by Lowe's store near my neighborhood and purchased a gift card and was out of the store with receipt to go with it in less than 5 minutes. Excellent checkout experience and overall premium products that are quickly purchased.

Original review: March 10, 2019

On 03/09/19 we walked into the Ace Hardware Store on Chicago Road in Dolton, IL looking for a particular potting soil and a long stick to support a plant that was leaning. The cashier was hesitant but did attempt to assist us. An older guy came from the back with the worst attitude I've encountered in years! He never smiled and answered all questions very rudely. I found a long piece of wood that was approximately 9 feet high and 1/2 inch wide. I asked him if he could cut it for me (I only needed 7 feet)and his response with a very evil look on his face was "yeah for $5". I jokingly said "wow can I just use your saw" (thinking that would loosen him up and at least make him smile).

He said (very mean, LOUD and stern) "NO!!! MY INSURANCE COMPANY WILL NOT ALLOW THAT! I WILL NOT LET YOU USE MY SAW!!!" At this point I just turned around and walked out of the store. I will never patronize this store again. Even though this Dolton store is much closer to my home, I will continue going to the Homewood store where the staff is very helpful and friendly.

Resolution response: Feb. 15, 2019

My just previous review is in fact honest and accurate. However, I since have talked with other customer service reps (especially Kathleen in Fla.) and have been treated very very courteously, friendly and professionally. The first rep just triggered something with his thoughtless remark and obvious less than empathic regard regarding good customer service. Happens to us all at some point I guess.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Ace Hardware online is a separate entity from the Ace stores. The Ace stores cannot do anything about any orders made online. The online site is useless when trying to help. "oops, sorry about that" and "hey, this isn't Amazon" is all you get. Made an order online and was told the order would be at the store today. Called the store and order did not show up. The order will not be at the store now until a week from today. This order was made being told when the delivery would be made and I would not have ordered had I known this. This made no difference to cust. service. "We're not Amazon" is all I got. I'm 300 miles from this store and the order pickup was made as my travels would accommodate this perfectly. Now, not so. I am SOOOO PO'ed about this. I would give zero stars if I could.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I purchased a $600 Toro snowblower on December 7th 2018. On 1-21-19 the 3rd time that I had used my snowblower the engagement cable broke. I took it back to Spanish Fork Ace hardware to get it fixed. They told me to bring it inside so I unloaded the snowblower and brought inside. The employee looked at it and said it would be $20 labor plus the price of the part. I told him that it was brand new and still under warranty so I will not pay a dime to have it fixed. The employee called his manager on the radio and told him what I said.

The manager replied on the radio that Ace doesn’t back the Toro products they sell. After hearing that I told the employee that I wanted my money back. He called the manager again and told him that I wanted my money back. The manager replied on the radio that I was not getting a refund and I need to take my problem up with Toro. I left and found Cutlers in Orem that repairs snowblower. I walked into Cutlers. They ask what was wrong and took a look at my snowblower. He looked at my receipt then typed in the serial number into the computer. Cutlers then told me it was covered under warranty and it would be fixed in a day. Save yourself from Ace Hardware and buy from Home Depot. They back the products that they sell at 100%.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I recently went to the Ace Hardware in Chiefland, Florida. I purchased a weedeater. Two weeks later I tried to start the weedeater with no luck. I had a terrible experience when I was there. They as much told me I was a liar about the parts on the weedeater. They traded me a new engine, and I kept my lower part of the unit as it was straight, not curved.

When I got home and went to use the unit I noticed that they kept the handle. I went back to Ace and when I went in, I tried to explain my problem. The woman at the desk looked at me and VERY sarcastically said "Oh, we know who you are." She said they did not keep my handle. The manager came up and the other woman told her again, in a sarcastic tone. "He is being helped okay." They did eventually bring me a handle. Gave it to me with nothing else said. I drive to the Trenton Ace store now. Same owner, but much nicer employees. Others I know will not go to the Chiefland Store either.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Refused my return because I bought and paid for the copper water heater connector online then picked the item up in their store. Because the sale did not go through their cash register the cashier, that has been there for years, would not give me a refund even though I had all internet sale paperwork. Someone needs to retrain employees at the Parker, AZ, Ace hardware store.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I went to Ace Hardware in Margate, Fl for an item advertised in the store ad. It was a craftsman tool chest with free 121 pc tool set for 99.99. Advertisement showed sale good from Nov. 28 thru Dec 24. The associate and owner or manager stated they never had item in stock. That I could order online and ship it to the store. The ad clearly stated in store only. Then stated the store was too small to stock. There was nothing stating while supplies last or not available at some stores. This is complete false advertising.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

This company sales Craftsman tools, and according to Craftsman’s website, should honor the lifetime warranty. We went to the Ace Hardware on Pleasantburg Dr. in Greenville to exchange a wrench and were told by the manager that they don’t honor that policy because “Craftsmen is on its way out“. This is bad business, and it seems we always have a customer service issue anytime we’ve attempted to shop at this specific Ace Hardware. We will NOT be back!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Five days ago I ordered an item for my husband (for Christmas) using Acehardware.com. After placing my order, and being excited that the item would be delivered before Christmas, I received an email confirming my online order. I was ecstatic that the item that my husband wanted so badly would be under the tree and ready to surprise him on Christmas morning. The next day I opened the confirmation email again to use the order number to track the progress of my husband’s present (yes I was overly enthusiastic). I was absolutely gobsmacked to see that it said my order was canceled! Why? I emailed them to find out why. Today, December 21st, they finally emailed me back. Guess what they said. “We’re sorry but your order is canceled.” No reason or explanation. It’s too late now ACE! Thanks for sweet ** all!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Walked in 12/14/2018. Asked where a particular item could be found, after being ignored for several moments. I was very rudely told, "Somewhere in the store go find it." After finding the item it got even worse when paying for the item. If you're looking to be treated like crap, ask for (Jackie).

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Absolute idiots that work in this store...(Jennifer & Larry). I ordered a Ladder over the internet and had it delivered to this store. I went to pick it up in my Toyota Matrix. Jennifer said the car is too small. I said I'll put down the seats and lay it in, then I will tie it down, it will stick out about 4' and I will put a red flag on it. I only live a couple of miles away. Would you believe the idiots threw the ladder into the car cracking the windshield. I could not believe it. Then they had the nerve to say 'See we told you the car was too small'... Really? Then they would take NO Responsibility. None, not even the owner. They had the nerve to say, 'Call your Ins'. I called the main Ace Hardware Number and No Help there either. Stay away from Ace Hardware, especially this store. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE... Jennifer & Larry Idiots.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I've been waiting a week for a status update to the order I placed online. Twice now I've emailed customer support stating that I haven't received a status update and each time I'm told that I can pick up the item at the store 'tomorrow'. Tomorrow is here, still no status update. My PayPal account has been charged. Ace was formerly a great company. I'm guessing that they'll go the way of Sears. Too Bad.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Was looking for a screw extractor, but was repeatedly sent to some sort of ad listing for handtools. Tried looking for drill bits with the same result. So much for shopping locally. Moving on to Amazon as usual.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I purchased three rolls of plastic sheathing during Hurricane Irma last year. After the hurricane I did not need them so I went to return them. I was told that there was a sign up that said, "No returns for purchases made before this hurricane." I called the corporate office and was told each store since their own return policy. This store was one of many owned by the same people in the Tampa North Port Sarasota area. Do not buy anything from Ace Hardware. Home Depot and Lowe's both took returns after the hurricane of items such as tarps and things that people thought they might need. I was told that the store would go broke if they accept it all the returns bought before the hurricane.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I just left Ace Hardware store #112 in Raleigh. I had a return and Hunter treated me like dirt from the start. Rolled his eyes, huffed and puffed about having laid the box on its side. I said that I had never been treated that way at Ace and he quieted down while I went inside to process return. Then, when he went to the car to get the box out, he called me a “**”. I don’t think he knew my preteen daughter was in the car. Once he left she came inside and told me. When I confronted him he lied and said he didn’t say it. I told him she had never heard the ** word before and I didn’t think she made it up. Then he said, “ I don’t recall saying that”. I am so angry! I don’t like that he would call me that, but to have my young daughter hear such language is horrific. And to hear it used directed toward her mom is inexcusable. I am incredibly infuriated!!! #aceistheplace NOT.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I wish I would have read all these bad reviews before I purchased a gift card from Ace Hardware Online. I ordered the card on the 25th of one month, being told that I would have it before the 1st of the next month. Now here it is the 17th of the next month and STILL NO CARD!!! I have called many, many times and get a different run around each time. Their customer service is so bad, the worst of any co. I've ever dealt with. One lady flat out called me a liar when I told her another employee told me to never order one of their gift cards because they either don't work or people never get them!!! WHY would they sell them then??? $102.50 for a gift card I have never received. Ace just ripped off a disabled grandmother. WAY to go Ace!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had three gallons of unused paint that I needed to dispose of in Shelton, WA and when looking for a place Ace Hardware in Olympia, WA came up. I went into the store to find out how the process worked and I was told to bring in the paint to the front counter. A clerk looked at the paint cans and then pulled out a notebook, opened to a page and scanned a page and then told me it would cost me $16.40 to drop off this paint. To say I was shocked would be to put it mild. Nowhere on their website did it mention anything about paying a fee to dispose of this paint. Not a good way to run a business.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I have always redeemed my Ace Coupons, $5 off on $20 on anything marked and not on sale items till the last time I was in the Ace on Socrum Loop N Lakeland Florida. Was told the item wasn't an Ace product?? The store has been on its way down the past six month. Even the manager run me all over the store looking for someone free to help me??? Go figure.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I was ordering a part for my mom's commode online so I knew she would get the repair correct part I needed to make a repair. I placed the order online for pickup at the local store, but after I placed the order the site informed me that to make the pickup I would have to be there with ID and the card. I gave her the part info so she could just go down and pick it up as I was indisposed and set about cancelling the order. I called the store where it was to be picked up and was told it had already been keyed in and since corporate were different entities, they could no longer cancel the order.

Since it was the only item in stock the employee offered to put it back on the shelf so that it would be there when she arrived, I said, "Good, thank you." He gave me the number for corporate so I could cancel the order. I called corporate and told them what had happened and was put on hold. She came back and told me she had just talked to employee at the store, and he said it was in will-call and so she could not cancel the order. During this time my mom arrived home, with the part. When I told the woman on the phone, she said when she talked to the store they told her it is in will-call and so the order cannot be cancelled.

I called the store and talked to the employee, he said he told her that he keyed in the order and that is why he could not cancel it. He then went on to tell me that the stores and corporate were two separate entities, they use corporate as an advertising platform for independently owned stores. Once a payment and order are keyed in you have to talk to corporate because they control the funds at that point. No part in stock, can't cancel the order because it's in will-call, and yet here I sit less the money and maybe corporate will do something in a week or so. I will NEVER order anything online from Ace Hardware again.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I ordered eight two packs of GE incandescent light bulbs. There is NO Ace Hardware store near me that had these in stock and no one else sells them. It was a miracle that none of them broke. There was no bubble wrap and six two packs were put in a box 24 by 24 by 24 box with NO fragile label. The other two packages were in a smaller box. The larger box was delivered with a large HOLE in it. I inspected each bulb. Three two packs (6 bulbs were defected - they had massive imperfections including glue on the face of the bulbs).

I called AceHardware.com FOUR time !!! Dealing with them is a TOTAL NIGHTMARE!!! Three times I requested a return label. It is now three weeks that I am trying to get a simple return label. The first time I called customer service the women said when they receive my package they will EXCHANGE the bulbs and send me better ones. Today I called again and another supervisor said she would try a third time to send me a return label, BUT they would NOT send me any new bulbs!!! I will try to call GE directly!!! Stay AWAY from AceHardware.com - they do NOT stand by their satisfaction guarantee!!! They just lost a new customer!!!

Original review: June 23, 2018

I went in Ace Hardware in Pickens, SC. Paid for 3 2x4x10 lumber... got receipt, went out to my vehicle, pulled around to lumber area, the guy come out to assist me and we looked for specified lumber, come to find out they had everything but the size I had just paid for. Didn’t even have a bin for 2x4x10... had 12s in both bins. Had to go back in and have refund put back on my card... Bad experience!!!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I had ordered some outdoor chairs for my porch. When I place the order it showed I would receive my items within 1-7 days. My order showed processing for a week. I contacted the store and online customer service and received 2 different responses. Originally store stated it would be in the truck the next day. It did not show up so I called 800 # and they stated it would be in on Tuesday which was 3 days away. Now, 24 hours later I receive this email. "We regret to inform you that we are unable to complete your order. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience."

Why do they even offer items that are not available to them? I would never have messed around for a week waiting on items that I was needing for an event at my house. I ordered in good confidence that they would be in before the 7 days since it stated 1-7 days. Not only did they not make it for the event but now I have to go try to find something that will work on my patio for another event. Very frustrating to have such poor customer service. This looks like an ongoing problem as I have read multiple reviews with this same complaint. Do NOT use them for anything that they offer online, obviously, they just advertise items that are not even available.

Ace Hardware Company Information