1.93/5

Sylvania TV Reviews

143 Sylvania TV Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 5, 2014

Purchased my Sylvania 32-inch from K-Mart after Christmas 2011. Power quit less than a year later; the television would not turn on. Took the unit for repair. A new power supply was installed for $100. Less than a year later the exact same thing happened. TV won't turn on. Set is now hanging dead on my wall as I refuse to sink even more money into this defective product. Like everyone here, I will never buy another Sylvania and I will advise anyone in the market to follow my lead.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2014

Several years ago I bought a small (20?) inch Sylvania TV for my bedroom and I absolutely love it!! Have never had a problem with the TV but did recently have to replace the remote as I dropped the first one too many times. Was going to buy larger Sylvania TV for my living room but am reluctant after reading the reviews. I wonder if the fact that I use an indoor antenna makes a difference. Maybe something in the TV reacts negatively with satellite or cable.

Original review: July 29, 2014

Not sure can blame tv but channel six sound comes & goes. Have always been happy with 37" Sylvania hdtv I got in 2010. But on again, off again - sound on channel six is not a good thing. Are there any solutions?

Original review: June 11, 2014

We bought t.v December 2013 from KMART, quit working February 2014. No power, think there should be a recall. I paid real good money for this Tv and will never buy another Sylvania product!!!!! Very disappointed!!! I remember Sylvania as a child, used to be pretty good quality product, but not anymore.

Original review: June 11, 2014

I purchased a 32 inch flat screen in 2011 and it just blinked out while I was watching it, I had the TV maybe a yr. I didn't get a warranty so Sylvania CSR said it was nothing they can do. I didn't buy the warranty because honestly, I didn't think it would have any problems with it so soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvania TV?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2014

TV is approximately six years old, just started shutting off on its own. Found that if you unplug it and wait a half hour or longer, plug it back in, it might work but you don't know for how long.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2014

I have DISH satellite service for my Sylvania TV but the DISH tech support rep was unable to help me and just decided to replace the receiver. However, what I should have done first was do a Google search first because right after my call ended with the rep, I was determined to resolve the problem on my own. So I came across a site that said to verify that the TV was not accidentally muted on the the remote. Then using the Sylvania remote, I was supposed to select the Menu button and look under the TV sound category and keep pressing the "volume" button until I would get sound, but nothing happened. Then I was instructed to **Gently Remove the Smart Card from the Receiver Box, and Reinsert it in the Slot**, the sound FINALLY came back on!! Now, I have to wait for UPS to tell the delivery person to send the receiver back to DISH! *sigh* >: | Anyways, hope this helps you all!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

For the past 2 weeks, my television started to malfunction. While watching a television program, the television would turn off and come back on. This morning I went to turn the television on and it would not turn on. The television does have on the red stand by light, but the TV will not turn on. I called the company and they stated this problem has never been reported to them before. They suggested that I unplug the TV and leave it off for 30 minutes and then plug it into a different power source. This should cause the TV to reboot. All was done and nothing was accomplished. Since I am out of warranty, there is nothing they will do for me.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2014

We bought our Sylvania less than 2 years ago. It worked fine until last night. Now it won't turn on. We've tried everything. First we thought it might be the remote so we changed the batteries. No such luck. What a huge disappointment and a big waste of money. No more Sylvania products will enter this household.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2013

This LC320SS8 32" inch flat screen HDTV has sat in a AC storage unit for the last 6 years new in the box. I've been using it for 3 months now and and there is a dark tinted 3/4 moon shaped vertical tinted black mark on the left side of the screen. My mother bought it before she died. Years later my Bravo 2005 flat screen was stolen in a burglary and I decided to use the Sylvania. I thought it would be great. Sylvania makes great commercial light bulbs so I thought maybe the quality would be just as good as the metal halides they produce so strictly.

I was wrong. The T.V. leaves watermarks from other channels after you change them and they take hours to go away. So, I can't leave it idle on a channel or on pause for more than 5 minutes or see the ghost of the paused movie for hours until it fades. Yet, the dark streak has not faded. This is not random. I do HID lamp research for a living and have so far documented over 400+ Sylvanias with the same exact vertical streak tinted black; the same model, and this spans 2 years of manufacturer. My research proved with cogentness, soundness and validity Sylvania's 400+ with the same issue were offered no concern to fix it or help by Sylvania for any of the people who had this problem.

Sylvania is an old brand like ** and most of the 400+ people were older, trusting of the company and on retirement. It is sad they are being taken advantage of, saving for sometimes 4 years to buy this T.V. on their retirement. I sell about 1,000 Sylvania metal halides a week with my company. I wrote Sylvania and told them I was switching to another brand of halides (they said they were of another division). I said "well if you can't contact that other division.. then my 5000$ bi-weekly order will be cancelled." They told me very rudely that I must not have heard them right. So now I give 120,000$ a year to their biggest rival company. Sylvania sent me a new T.V. and I gave it to an elderly lady who had been scammed by the Sylvania T.V. division. I will not renew my contract with Sylvania until they have a recall on these models from 2007-on.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2013

My dad gave his TV like 2-3 years ago. It worked fine and all but until November of 2013, it started to act up. One of them is the volume problem - it continues to go up or down and when I press the volume button to lower the volume the setting mode appears. Sylvania better fix these problem or they will go on bankrupt for these problems and not being able to help their customers.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2013

At first we were happy with it, but about 2 years later or after the warranty was out, it turned into a 32 inch screen with black and sometimes blues lines through making it unwatchable. We will never buy a Sylvania product again and have warned our friends about this also.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2013

I bought a Sylvania 32" LCD TV mid 2011. About a year after I bought it, I turned it on and there was no picture. I first tried calling Sylvania about the problem, but being that the warranty had expired, they refused to help me. Luckily, I bought it from Costco. Their concierge was super helpful as an intermediary between Sylvania and me. With their help, I received a full refund from Sylvania. It's just too bad that Sylvania wouldn't stand behind their product. Now I find out that lots of people with Sylvania TV's from 2011 had the same issue, and many of those problems arose shortly after the warranty expired. Shame on you, Sylvania.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2013

Bought a 22-inch Sylvania TV for a guest bedroom in my house. Used maybe 5 or 6 times. It went off when watching it, and will not come back on. Sylvania said it is out of warranty so there is nothing they can do. I certainly thought they made better products than that and would stand by their product. The woman at Kmart said they had had this problem with these TVs made in 2011. No help from Sylvania.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2013

I also purchased a 32" Sylvania TV lc320ss2, and it is the same as all of the other responses...... The TV will not power on. Fortunately, the TV is for our basement and I do not have to replace it to watch TV in our house. I would love to replace the TV because we have our Wii connected to that TV and our family spends a lot of time down there, especially during the winter months, but TV's cost money. Based off of all the comments it would be a waste of time to call customer service, so hopefully something will come out of all these comments.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2013

I purchased a 26" Sylvania television, Model number LC260SS1 from Kmart in October of 2010. I appear to have been luckier than most with this brand of television. In early 2012, I had a problem with the television volume going up on its own and I could not get it to turn down, whether it was from the TV controls or from the remote. I unplugged it and left it that way, planning on throwing it out in the trash. After about a week, I plugged it back in and it worked fine.

However, as of August 30, 2013, the stupid thing started acting up with the volume again. I really can't afford to go buy another TV but when I do, it will NOT be a Sylvania. From reading the other complaints, it would be pointless and very frustrating to try calling to complain to Customer Service, especially since my TV is three years old. I would hope that someone would help all of people who have purchased this television brand, but that is probably wishful thinking. I plan to tell all of my family and friends not to purchase any Sylvania name brand products as they are junk and obviously, their Customer Service Representatives are a joke.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

I purchased a Sylvania 32 inch flat screen TV December 2012 and now it keeps cutting off by itself, losing volume and the channels won't turn. It's really sad the way Sylvania is ripping folk off. I will never buy another Sylvania product. I tried calling customer service and was told there's nothing they can do.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

With little use as a secondary TV it died during a show. Tried turning it on next day - nothing. Looked for a reset button - nothing. After reading similar comments will never buy another Sylvania TV.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2013

My TV had started turning down on its own. Cannot find a number to contact any person. Have only had the TV for about 1 year!!!! Not happy with this.

Original review: June 14, 2013

I bought a Sylvania 32-inch TV from Target in August 2011. The TV was for a vacation home used 10 to 15 times before it just stopped working in January 2013 - no power surge, no trauma of any kind. It just stopped powering on. Target is no help and Sylvania customer service is a joke.

Original review: June 7, 2013

I wish I had. I purchased this Sylvania 32" LCD TV LC320SS in January 2012 to replace an old, smaller TV. It's a very attractive unit and had a great picture and is easy to set up. Yesterday, I pressed the on button and nothing happened. I tried everything - the on/off button on the unit, new batteries in the remote, checked the surge protector - the cable box works, the TV does not. No light comes on and there is no sound. I checked all the cables and connections. So my great deal ($287 including tax) was not such a great deal. The reviews I've read are right in line with what happened to me - it's almost like they installed a timer and you only get 13-15 months and then nothing. It appears from the reviews that calling customer service will be a waste of time. This was the first and last time I've ever purchased Sylvania. I've been searching but haven't seen anything on a class action suit. I'd be interested!

Original review: May 29, 2013

I am on my second TV already. The first started turning off and wouldn't turn back on after only having it a couple of months. However, the place I bought it from said there was only a 90-day warranty so I was out of luck. They sent me a box and a return number and said to send $150 and TV back and eventually, they would fix it. Well, long story short, I went and bought another and then packaged the dud up and took it back to store to get money back. All worked well... for about a year, year and a half. But now, same problem has surfaced.

Yes, Sylvania knows their stuff is junk and couldn't care less about your repeat business. I would advise not giving them any. These really are junk TVs and certainly not worth fixing, period. The second TV had signs of the problem off and on but managed to last 18 months... way too soon for an $800 TV, in my opinion though. I will never buy another Sylvania and I don't think the stores will carry them with this record of failure going on for much longer. Adios, Sylvania. You deserve to rot in the junkyards of TV hell.

Original review: April 28, 2013

I bought a Sylvania 32" LED flat screen TV in April 2012. It died in September 2012. It wouldn't turn on and stay on. I sent it back for repair to Sylvania. It worked for 4 months and started doing the same thing. Now, it's dead. The warranty is expired. So now, if I want it repaired, I have to pay. There are hundreds of complaints on their site about the same problem. I spoke with their CSR and they are useless. Sylvania doesn't care that they have defective products. I purchased it from Kmart. Bottom line, I will never buy anything from Sylvania.

Original review: April 28, 2013

I bought this TV in December of 2009 as a gift for my daughter. It's a 22-inch LCD TV Sylvania model LC225SSX from Kmart. In March of 2013, the TV was off but plugged in. All of a sudden she heard a loud pop and it started smoking. Luckily, we were home and I immediately unplugged it and turned the power off to her room. The whole house had a horrible burnt smell and I was so afraid the house could've caught fire. Never again will I purchase this brand.

Original review: April 17, 2013

I purchased a 32-inch flat screen TV for my son as a Christmas present in December 2011 from Target. The TV stopped working as of January 2012. No power, just dead. I contacted customer service in Ohio (the rudest young man giggling on the phone), only to be told by him that the warranty is only good for 1 year. Then I asked to be directed to a local service center, at which time the giggling customer service rep suggested I check my local yellow pages because according to him, my zip code does not exist. I will never buy a Sylvania product again. I guess you get what you pay for and this product is junk.

Original review: March 15, 2013

I purchased this television 3 years ago from ABC Warehouse. About 6 months ago, it started turning on and off by itself. Finally, it quit working all together. I am so dissatisfied with this TV! I went online and corresponded with a live representative, who proceeded to tell me about a 1 year warranty. Hogwash! I will never purchase anything else under this brand name. It's defective and more importantly, it's not American made. Shame on our government, importing garbage at our expense! I've learned my lesson! Sylvania builds trash.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2013

My husband and I purchased a Sylvania 32-inch flat screen television at Target. It just recently quit working. The power button shows red, so I know it is getting the power but it simply will no longer turn on. I have been reading all of the poor reviews for this company and their televisions. I sure wish I would have read them before I spent my hard earned money on Sylvania's poor televisions. It makes me wonder if these complaints are even reaching the upper management of this company or if their quality assurance team even looks at these complaints and tries to improve the quality of their products. I will never buy Sylvania products and I will spread the word about the quality of their products. Thanks a lot Sylvania, now I no longer have a television nor do I have the extra money to purchase a new television.

Please see below Sylvania's response to my email for some kind of compensation below: “Thank you for contacting customer support. Sorry for the inconvenience. Our manufacturer warranty is 90 days parts and labor and a year parts. If you're out of the warranty, you will need to take the unit to a service center with the zip code you have provided. I was unable to find you a service center in your area. However, you do not need to take the unit to one of our centers. You can take the unit to any service center you are aware of. Thank you for choosing Funai Service Corporation. A lot of help they are! I knew this was the response I would get from this company since that is how they have treated all of their customers.”

Original review: Jan. 25, 2013

Sylvania LC195SLX - I bought this brand name TV from Target a couple of years ago and have never been happy with the signal reception. I have tried at least a half a dozen antennae and anytime a huge vehicle passes the house, it stops working. I have literally used up the remote running channel scans over and over, etc. Evidently, if I wish to have choices of more than four channels, I must spend 35 bucks to get a new remote because the universals I have purchased have no provision for the command to scan the channels! No, I am not spending another dime to just get more mediocrity out of this pile of junk. Not only will I never buy another Sylvania product, neither will I ever step foot in another Target store for selling such junk to unsuspecting suckers.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2013

I was wanting a new flat screen TV. I saved and was really happy to be able to catch my Sylvania LCD TV on sale at Target in 2010. I bought the TV, along with the warranty for the TV because I wanted to protect my investment. I had the TV for 2 1/2 years before a line appeared down the middle up the screen. I had recently moved so I don't know if something happened with moving, although I made a point to be extra careful with the TV. I contacted my warranty dept. They sent me free via UPS a box for set, packaging and return label. So I sent my TV off and the repair was completed, no charge.

Currently, I have an issue with the volume but it's also covered under my warranty; so I am confident it will be handled without any problems. Products these days aren't built to last, but I am very satisfied with my purchase and will continue to use this brand. My advice for consumers is to spring for the warranty or be stuck with issues that will cost you more in the long run. If my TV would go out, and I hope not, I'd purchase a new one. Heck I got one from Walmart Black Friday for only $178.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2012

I was spending the Christmas Holidays at my cabin and all of a sudden smoke poured from the Sylvania television (model # LD200SL8, serial # J50786693). It was on fire. I was so shocked that I almost had a stroke, ripping wires out, yanking the TV off a table, and throwing it out in the snow. Thank God, it snowed last night. Smoke filled the building and I had to open doors and sliders to clean the air. This was frightening. A lot of times, I have left TVs on for my very old Cocker Spaniel when I am not at home. This could have killed her. I bought this new and it is used only when at the cabin for vacations. Sylvania owes me a TV.

Sylvania TV Company Information