1.16/5
Based on 162 reviews that contain star ratings

209 Sony Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

I spent over $1000 for Sony’s flagship Soundbar, HT-5000, which worked for 6 weeks. Out of warranty, my local repairman estimates replacing defective main circuit board will cost $1000. DO NOT BUY SONY SOUNDBAR!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Registered and Contacted customer service North America. Was told to ship and covered under warranty (6 months of 1 year). When repair serviced received Sony would no longer honor warranty. Now I will have to pay to receive defective unit back or additional funds to get fixed. I could have taken to local shop for repair much cheaper than the cost Sony is charging by not honoring warranty. I would never purchase Sony product again unless disposable income.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Sony TVs are no longer good as in the past. Sony has somehow good hardware technology. But their Software is pathetic. Sony's led TVs became unstable and unreliable. They provide one year warranty whereas Samsung provide 10 year warranty for screen. Android OS used by Sony is simply worst. I am owning X900E 55' led tv from Sony. I regret buying this tv for so much of money. There's no OS upgrade and lot of issues in Software. I am facing lot of incompatibility issues unlike Samsung TVs. Don't buy SONY TV for its picture quality alone. In today's internet world. Software is the most important thing. Don't buy SONY Led TVs anymore. Both Samsung and LG are better choices.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Purchased a Sony 55 inch XBR55X750F. After getting it all connected we turned it on and on the top of the screen there was a light about 18 inches long right in the middle--- upon further inspection the frame was actually separated from the screen. In calling Sony they informed us they are not responsible for anything cosmetic and the frame is considered cosmetic. They then could not give us any info on who is responsible. The end result was we were told to ship it back to the store. We live rural and just the fact to pack up a 55 inch TV and have to travel over an hour to find a shipper to take it to is ridiculous.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Headphones stopped working after 2 months. Hello.. Bought for my autistic nephew, they stopped working after 2 months. Contacted Sony Canada and after 20 mins on the phone the man said he had to leave for a few minutes to get me a ref. number and return slip to be emailed to me to return the defective headphones. 30 minutes later he hung up the phone. Then went online and tried online chat and email contact.. Every time I was shut down half way thru giving my contact info. Did this different ways about 5 times each with the same results. THEY DO NOT HONOUR THEIR WARRANTY.. Should not be allowed to sell in the North American market. Piece of ** company. Never buy their product again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

It's completely worst service provided by Daksha service - Sony Authorised service centre at Pondicherry. Very bad experience. Unprofessional engineer. I paid almost 15K to replace a part. After spending so much, I received my Cybershot RX100MIII product which is Super experience, back with dent and the panel had a crack and they replied they are not responsible. It was not happened during service. Looks like they are providing training using customer product which are all sent to service, Not trained engineer. Totally pathetic service. I have been using Sony products for almost more than ten years - TV, from the Alpha very first DSLR etc, never had such a pathetic experience, Sony usually does excellent customer service and I had previous experiences with them in Singapore and so. All Sony product are little expensive but worth money. And Here at Pondicherry INDIA, completely upside down, I will never recommend this guys for anyone. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

It's worst service provided by your service centre in Bhopal. Very bad installation service. Late. No time management. Bad behavior. Not trained engineer. Totally pathetic service. But I love Sony product. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I got my PS4 Slim this month, and without a doubt it is great. Cheap, portable, energy efficient and etc. However, in terms of NETFLIX, now given its state of portability, it should allow the consumers to watch titles offline, at least for the PS4 Slim model.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

In the United States, there is a federal law called "the cooldown" law. It provides consumers with protection to change their mind and get a full refund. Except when purchased solely online. Well, this company takes advantage of that and will not refund money if a download doesn't meet the criteria stated for sale. Shady as **!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Very bad service from Sony. I bought a tv and a home theatre. I have got the tv repaired for like 3 times now and now the home theatre isn't working. First of all no one was bothered from Sony even after 3 complaints. Finally when the guy arrived at my house he said to repair this I have to pay for the whole motherboard which would cost around double the price of the product itself. I will never buy a Sony product in my life.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I bought a 60-inch Sony Smart TV in November 20, 2016. The TV was barely used from that time until August, 2018 at which time I noticed a green line down the left side. I called Sony and was asked a few questions. I was told that the fact the line was even viewable on the home screen probably meant some board inside needed to be replaced, which would cost as much or more than I paid for the TV itself. I was told I could contact a technician in my area. Then I was told they do not have any technicians in my area and maybe I could contact Best Buy's Geek Dept. Then I was hung up on. Very disappointed as Sony has always had a good reputation. I will never purchase another Sony product as they seem to sell complete junk now. I purchased their product on their reputation alone. Next time I will do more research.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I called because I was charged for a PlayStation membership while I was out of town so I asked for a refund and she stated that she has to see if I qualify. She then told me that she can’t process a refund for me because I had a refund on a game I don’t even remember buying and refunding a year ago. I explained the situation to her and she still proceeded to tell me she couldn’t do anything for me. After being on the phone with her for 30 mins while I'm on vacation, I checked the refund policy on memberships and it stated you have up until 14 days. I asked for the refund on the first day when it was still pending in my bank account so I called back and spoke to someone else and explained what happened in my previous call and she told me she don’t understand why she told me that and then proceeded with the refund process. Spent a whole hour dealing with a refund. Personally the worst customer service experience I’ve ever encountered.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I spoke to a gentleman. At 1st he said he'll REFUND my subscription since my PlayStation was stolen then transfer me to a lady who denied me. I asked for manager and he denied me also. I DIDN'T EVEN GET MY $$ WORTH.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I bought a brand new TV and spent over $2000 and now it has a white mark on the screen. They don’t want send any technician to check on it and just tell me over the phone it’s physical damage. It’s not a physical damage. Took my money and no service or no exchange or replacement. No warranty nothing.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Wi-c300... These headphones are absolute complete junk and a waste of money. When you try to move at all they fall off your head. They are missed waited in the back and pull right off of your neck. I tried to call customer service to see what we could do and they were unwilling to do anything and stand behind their product... Because of this awful service I will never ever buy a Sony product again!!! Hopefully they’re happy they lost a customer that could’ve spent thousands over a pair of $60 earphones.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

1. Wifi drops randomly but oftenly at any level of router quality.

2. Wifi doesn't even see band 2 ac routers.
3. Sound volume is pretty weak.
4. Some local shops say that they provide 2 years warranty but you don't get anything on paper and they don't approve what they've said after you bought it.
5. Android version is still 8.0.0 as of today, rare critical software updates.

The only thing that I like Sony XZ premium for is pretty good 120 fps video which is not anything outstanding these days.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I brought the television in June 2018 for our bedroom. After an update the red blinking lights started and the TV don't turn on. They are sending a technician to fix it, but I have to be home. I insisted on getting my TV replaced, but there is no one to talk too. Being a huge fan of Sony, I am so deeply disappointed by the mediocre service. I don't understand why I need to lose a day of work and wait for a technician after they sold me a broken device.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Had my 65 inch television for two years and today is August 14, 2018 and took it off mount and took it to TV repairman. TV repairman said I needed a main board and it would be about $600 if he could find part! I can’t believe after two years and spending $2,000 that my Sony television would go out! Never had a problem with any other TVs that I had for over ten years! Horrible!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I tried to purchase the new PS4 Pro 500 million console, and they're all sold out. It just came available today. You know everybody is going to want this new console so why did you make such a limited number. Get your ** in the manufacturing department to make more so I can buy one...geez.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I purchased these headphones from a retailer in India on January 10th, 2018. I have now moved to Canada. 2 days ago the speaker of the right headset came off the plastic casing and now the right headphone doesn't work. I called @Sony Support Canada to avail of the Warranty that came with the product but @Sony will not honor my Warranty because I purchased the product in India. I have the receipt of purchase for this product. I spoke with Melvin, Matt, and John (Sony Customer Support reps out of the Philippines) and they could not help me and told me to avail the warranty from the country from where I purchased my headphones, and that's India. What kind of an international brand is Sony, Inc. and they cannot honor a warranty anywhere in the world no matter where the product was purchased from.

I was a faithful Sony customer as were my family members, but after this incident I will definitely not be buying Sony again knowing what I know now about its Warranty policy. I will certainly be conveying my thoughts regarding Sony to ALL my friends and family so that they don't buy from Sony again. I hope Sony knows that getting customers isn't a big deal, keeping them is, especially the loyal ones who have ONLY purchased Sony products EVER. They don't even deserve the one star rating that I've given them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We customers go for branded just in a hope that it will be durable. With that hope I invested my hard earned money on Sony LED tv. Soon after 5 months expiration of my warranty suddenly display went black out of nowhere. So I called up Sony customer care, after continuous calling for more than 4 days, a guy showed up at night 8 PM and he just touched the screen and told we have to change display and an amount of 11k was proposed. Now the better part is Sony service guy only told the quality of Sony is not like before. I don't understand why they didn't mention it while buying. Now planning to go for cheaper TVs with better specs. At least I can enjoy the better specs.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Bought Sony XBR-X900E television November 2017. There is a lip syncing issue no matter which transmission is used, ie, TV antenna, cable, streaming or Blu-ray. Have been trying to resolve issue with Sony Corp for past couple of months. We try everything they recommend with no success. They continue to put up road blocks and ask for something else. We had a Sony rep (not a service tech) come to our house to verify the problem which he did over the phone with Sony Corp. Please note that Sony did not ask this rep to come to our house. This rep does not repair faulty products but rather teaches consumers how to use their electronics. He heard of our problem and came to see if he could help. They still will not agree to do anything to fix the problem and wanted more videos etc.

I think their reps are trained to do and say any and everything to get out of honoring the warranty. We went to Best Buy where we bought the TV and explained the situation. They have been great to work with and will be taking back the TV and will deal with Sony. Good luck. Sony warranty is not worth the paper it's written on. Too bad because it could be a good product until you have a problem. If you want good customer support and a valid warranty buy another brand.

Original review: July 17, 2018

In Feb 2018 I started to have problems with my sound system, so I called up Sony to resolve the problem. I was told it just needed a reset which means unplugging everything waiting 2 minutes then plug everything back in. I did this for about 1 1/2 months. It was still shutting off so I would have to reset it every week. I got tired of having to move stuff around so I called Sony again. They had me send in my sound system to be fixed. No problem, They fixed it and sent it back.

Within a week it was doing the same thing (shutting the sound off). So I called again and I had to send it back to be fixed again. July 2, United Radio called me and told me that the unit couldn't be fixed and Sony would contact me in a few days to send me a replacement. It is now July 17th. I had to call Sony and they are still screwing with me. Now they say that they have to talk to United Radio before they will do anything. By the way my sound system hasn't been mailed back and they are not sending me a new one even though I have a warranty. I just I have to try and at least get my money back.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Sony it seems is the worst provider of information by robot answers. I am trying to register my new Sony a7iii and a model number is required, what I purchased is not the right answer so I add ILCE-7M3K/BC. That is rejected as not the model number. So I ask and ask what is the model number? Which model the answer? I try combinations of a7iii ILCE-7M3K/BC and all are rejected as incorrect. I try every alphanumeric listed using what is on the camera and new camera box and the supplied information booklet. I wanted to register my new camera before I tried again to add date and raw etc., having used Nikon for years I have been spoiled. Sony is a brick wall for failed questions. My 50 years of experience is of no use. I do not fathom how a model number can be a problem, but unless I find it, I cannot register the camera.

Original review: June 15, 2018

After purchasing a new Sony camera from a distributor I was assured I would receive a fifty pounds cashback. When I read the requirement that I should post my bank details on the net I wrote to the Surrey Sony office by signed for letter with proof of purchase and a photocopy of the camera product number informing them that I was not prepared to risk my personal details on the Internet. No reply. A second letter was sent. Signed for. Followed by two more, I then received a letter from a Mr. ** to say that the office had received no mail from me.

I checked the tracking on my letters to them and each one was stated delivered plus the signatures of the staff. I then sent copies of all correspondence to them and I received an Email asking me to telephone them which I would not do. I was then resigned to accept the fact that I would not receive the cashback, especially after reading the Sony cashback forum and all the complaints therein. As a last resort and with the intention of letting Sony know of the lies and unprofessional conduct of their Surrey office I sent all correspondence to Mr. Hirai Sony Senior Executive at Minato Japan on 2/05/18 but no reply.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Wish I could leave less than a star. WORST customer service I have ever received. They had my phone for nearly 3 weeks, I kept calling every few days asking what was going on and was told by 2 separate people that 'my phone was being looked at, they had identified the problem and were repairing it', they got confused about when they received it claiming that it arrived a week later than it did, then I got an email (finally!!) saying that they were sending it back to me! Yay it must have been repaired - surely they'd say if it hadn't (you'd think). Then it arrived back unrepaired.

I called up and spoke to people, who continually ignored the point about lack of (and in fact MIS-) communication, were almost purposefully unhelpful and rude. I have been only using Xperia phones for over 10 years now. Never again. Absolute ** who need to learn how to treat customers and keep people up to date on events. Worst customer service ever. Rubbish battery on the phone too and the earphone socket never worked from new.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I purchased a Sony Bravia 49” TV in October 2017. Three months later the remote control didn’t work to the white light under the TV therefore I couldn’t change stations or volume on the TV. I called Sony, then European electronics, I had to wait 2 weeks for a serviceman. He changed something in the back of the TV, saying it was now fixed. 3 months later the same problem! Another 3 months later exactly the same problem! Sony now saying as the TV is fixed, I cannot get a refund. It’s not that the TV is now fixed - it is that it happened three times in less than 12 months! This is a faulty TV! Extremely BAD service from Sony. I do not recommend their aftercare service. Do not buy a Sony, is my advice. I am taking this further.

Original review: April 21, 2018

In 4 month ago we bought a 55 inch Sony from [Best Buy] with one year warranty, after few days we started to notice two white spots, after once in while the white spots became longer until we have half picture, we called Best Buy, we was advised to contact Sony which we did. A female voice responded, she asked us to do few things with the original remote control, nothing happened. Then she told us the TV is defective, they will replace it, just wait for an e-mail & follow the instructions. We received the e-mail and what they asked us to do... To take 3 photos, 1st photo the TV showing its four corners, 2nd photo the serial number on the back of the TV which was hold on the wall by a bracket, it was very difficult to take the number, 3rd photo of the receipt, attaching them to an e-mail and to wait 4 working days, we did but we didn't hear from them!

We kept sending emails and make phone calls... Until one day a rude mean person called, accusing us that we broke the screen, I asked him, "Please let me talk another person." He refused, then I asked, "Can I talk to a supervisor," he refused too and he hanged up, letting me confused what I did wrong? Sony use to be my favorite brand, now it is the worst company on earth, then we bought a 55 inch Samsung from Costco, today we hired a professional to put it on the wall, it is working so far so good, cross your fingers, is there a nice person can advice me what to do? Many thanks in advance...

Original review: April 5, 2018

Bought these headphones (Model MDRAS410AP) 1/10/18. They were used only while at the gym. Monday they were fine, Tuesday one of the posts holding the earbud was gone. I have no idea how this happened, but I do know I did nothing to damage them. Called Sony and was told they were "damaged" and not covered by warranty. It appears they make the determination as to what is damaged and I have no say. If I had damaged them I would not have called. My concern that the product may have been poorly made had no impact.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Playstations can fill your room with smoke and reset the houses breakers, have almost had my home burn down because of Sony products. You call customer service to not speak to someone 9/10 times and if you do they just say “we're sorry”. Would give less than 1 star if possible.

Sony Company Information