1.15/5
Based on 150 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

197 Sony Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I spoke to a gentleman. At 1st he said he'll REFUND my subscription since my PlayStation was stolen then transfer me to a lady who denied me. I asked for manager and he denied me also. I DIDN'T EVEN GET MY $$ WORTH.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I bought a brand new TV and spent over $2000 and now it has a white mark on the screen. They don’t want send any technician to check on it and just tell me over the phone it’s physical damage. It’s not a physical damage. Took my money and no service or no exchange or replacement. No warranty nothing.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Wi-c300... These headphones are absolute complete junk and a waste of money. When you try to move at all they fall off your head. They are missed waited in the back and pull right off of your neck. I tried to call customer service to see what we could do and they were unwilling to do anything and stand behind their product... Because of this awful service I will never ever buy a Sony product again!!! Hopefully they’re happy they lost a customer that could’ve spent thousands over a pair of $60 earphones.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

1. Wifi drops randomly but oftenly at any level of router quality.

2. Wifi doesn't even see band 2 ac routers.
3. Sound volume is pretty weak.
4. Some local shops say that they provide 2 years warranty but you don't get anything on paper and they don't approve what they've said after you bought it.
5. Android version is still 8.0.0 as of today, rare critical software updates.

The only thing that I like Sony XZ premium for is pretty good 120 fps video which is not anything outstanding these days.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I brought the television in June 2018 for our bedroom. After an update the red blinking lights started and the TV don't turn on. They are sending a technician to fix it, but I have to be home. I insisted on getting my TV replaced, but there is no one to talk too. Being a huge fan of Sony, I am so deeply disappointed by the mediocre service. I don't understand why I need to lose a day of work and wait for a technician after they sold me a broken device.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Had my 65 inch television for two years and today is August 14, 2018 and took it off mount and took it to TV repairman. TV repairman said I needed a main board and it would be about $600 if he could find part! I can’t believe after two years and spending $2,000 that my Sony television would go out! Never had a problem with any other TVs that I had for over ten years! Horrible!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I tried to purchase the new PS4 Pro 500 million console, and they're all sold out. It just came available today. You know everybody is going to want this new console so why did you make such a limited number. Get your ** in the manufacturing department to make more so I can buy one...geez.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I purchased these headphones from a retailer in India on January 10th, 2018. I have now moved to Canada. 2 days ago the speaker of the right headset came off the plastic casing and now the right headphone doesn't work. I called @Sony Support Canada to avail of the Warranty that came with the product but @Sony will not honor my Warranty because I purchased the product in India. I have the receipt of purchase for this product. I spoke with Melvin, Matt, and John (Sony Customer Support reps out of the Philippines) and they could not help me and told me to avail the warranty from the country from where I purchased my headphones, and that's India. What kind of an international brand is Sony, Inc. and they cannot honor a warranty anywhere in the world no matter where the product was purchased from.

I was a faithful Sony customer as were my family members, but after this incident I will definitely not be buying Sony again knowing what I know now about its Warranty policy. I will certainly be conveying my thoughts regarding Sony to ALL my friends and family so that they don't buy from Sony again. I hope Sony knows that getting customers isn't a big deal, keeping them is, especially the loyal ones who have ONLY purchased Sony products EVER. They don't even deserve the one star rating that I've given them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We customers go for branded just in a hope that it will be durable. With that hope I invested my hard earned money on Sony LED tv. Soon after 5 months expiration of my warranty suddenly display went black out of nowhere. So I called up Sony customer care, after continuous calling for more than 4 days, a guy showed up at night 8 PM and he just touched the screen and told we have to change display and an amount of 11k was proposed. Now the better part is Sony service guy only told the quality of Sony is not like before. I don't understand why they didn't mention it while buying. Now planning to go for cheaper TVs with better specs. At least I can enjoy the better specs.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Bought Sony XBR-X900E television November 2017. There is a lip syncing issue no matter which transmission is used, ie, TV antenna, cable, streaming or Blu-ray. Have been trying to resolve issue with Sony Corp for past couple of months. We try everything they recommend with no success. They continue to put up road blocks and ask for something else. We had a Sony rep (not a service tech) come to our house to verify the problem which he did over the phone with Sony Corp. Please note that Sony did not ask this rep to come to our house. This rep does not repair faulty products but rather teaches consumers how to use their electronics. He heard of our problem and came to see if he could help. They still will not agree to do anything to fix the problem and wanted more videos etc.

I think their reps are trained to do and say any and everything to get out of honoring the warranty. We went to Best Buy where we bought the TV and explained the situation. They have been great to work with and will be taking back the TV and will deal with Sony. Good luck. Sony warranty is not worth the paper it's written on. Too bad because it could be a good product until you have a problem. If you want good customer support and a valid warranty buy another brand.

Original review: July 17, 2018

In Feb 2018 I started to have problems with my sound system, so I called up Sony to resolve the problem. I was told it just needed a reset which means unplugging everything waiting 2 minutes then plug everything back in. I did this for about 1 1/2 months. It was still shutting off so I would have to reset it every week. I got tired of having to move stuff around so I called Sony again. They had me send in my sound system to be fixed. No problem, They fixed it and sent it back.

Within a week it was doing the same thing (shutting the sound off). So I called again and I had to send it back to be fixed again. July 2, United Radio called me and told me that the unit couldn't be fixed and Sony would contact me in a few days to send me a replacement. It is now July 17th. I had to call Sony and they are still screwing with me. Now they say that they have to talk to United Radio before they will do anything. By the way my sound system hasn't been mailed back and they are not sending me a new one even though I have a warranty. I just I have to try and at least get my money back.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Sony it seems is the worst provider of information by robot answers. I am trying to register my new Sony a7iii and a model number is required, what I purchased is not the right answer so I add ILCE-7M3K/BC. That is rejected as not the model number. So I ask and ask what is the model number? Which model the answer? I try combinations of a7iii ILCE-7M3K/BC and all are rejected as incorrect. I try every alphanumeric listed using what is on the camera and new camera box and the supplied information booklet. I wanted to register my new camera before I tried again to add date and raw etc., having used Nikon for years I have been spoiled. Sony is a brick wall for failed questions. My 50 years of experience is of no use. I do not fathom how a model number can be a problem, but unless I find it, I cannot register the camera.

Original review: June 15, 2018

After purchasing a new Sony camera from a distributor I was assured I would receive a fifty pounds cashback. When I read the requirement that I should post my bank details on the net I wrote to the Surrey Sony office by signed for letter with proof of purchase and a photocopy of the camera product number informing them that I was not prepared to risk my personal details on the Internet. No reply. A second letter was sent. Signed for. Followed by two more, I then received a letter from a Mr. ** to say that the office had received no mail from me.

I checked the tracking on my letters to them and each one was stated delivered plus the signatures of the staff. I then sent copies of all correspondence to them and I received an Email asking me to telephone them which I would not do. I was then resigned to accept the fact that I would not receive the cashback, especially after reading the Sony cashback forum and all the complaints therein. As a last resort and with the intention of letting Sony know of the lies and unprofessional conduct of their Surrey office I sent all correspondence to Mr. Hirai Sony Senior Executive at Minato Japan on 2/05/18 but no reply.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Wish I could leave less than a star. WORST customer service I have ever received. They had my phone for nearly 3 weeks, I kept calling every few days asking what was going on and was told by 2 separate people that 'my phone was being looked at, they had identified the problem and were repairing it', they got confused about when they received it claiming that it arrived a week later than it did, then I got an email (finally!!) saying that they were sending it back to me! Yay it must have been repaired - surely they'd say if it hadn't (you'd think). Then it arrived back unrepaired.

I called up and spoke to people, who continually ignored the point about lack of (and in fact MIS-) communication, were almost purposefully unhelpful and rude. I have been only using Xperia phones for over 10 years now. Never again. Absolute ** who need to learn how to treat customers and keep people up to date on events. Worst customer service ever. Rubbish battery on the phone too and the earphone socket never worked from new.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I purchased a Sony Bravia 49” TV in October 2017. Three months later the remote control didn’t work to the white light under the TV therefore I couldn’t change stations or volume on the TV. I called Sony, then European electronics, I had to wait 2 weeks for a serviceman. He changed something in the back of the TV, saying it was now fixed. 3 months later the same problem! Another 3 months later exactly the same problem! Sony now saying as the TV is fixed, I cannot get a refund. It’s not that the TV is now fixed - it is that it happened three times in less than 12 months! This is a faulty TV! Extremely BAD service from Sony. I do not recommend their aftercare service. Do not buy a Sony, is my advice. I am taking this further.

Original review: April 21, 2018

In 4 month ago we bought a 55 inch Sony from [Best Buy] with one year warranty, after few days we started to notice two white spots, after once in while the white spots became longer until we have half picture, we called Best Buy, we was advised to contact Sony which we did. A female voice responded, she asked us to do few things with the original remote control, nothing happened. Then she told us the TV is defective, they will replace it, just wait for an e-mail & follow the instructions. We received the e-mail and what they asked us to do... To take 3 photos, 1st photo the TV showing its four corners, 2nd photo the serial number on the back of the TV which was hold on the wall by a bracket, it was very difficult to take the number, 3rd photo of the receipt, attaching them to an e-mail and to wait 4 working days, we did but we didn't hear from them!

We kept sending emails and make phone calls... Until one day a rude mean person called, accusing us that we broke the screen, I asked him, "Please let me talk another person." He refused, then I asked, "Can I talk to a supervisor," he refused too and he hanged up, letting me confused what I did wrong? Sony use to be my favorite brand, now it is the worst company on earth, then we bought a 55 inch Samsung from Costco, today we hired a professional to put it on the wall, it is working so far so good, cross your fingers, is there a nice person can advice me what to do? Many thanks in advance...

Original review: April 5, 2018

Bought these headphones (Model MDRAS410AP) 1/10/18. They were used only while at the gym. Monday they were fine, Tuesday one of the posts holding the earbud was gone. I have no idea how this happened, but I do know I did nothing to damage them. Called Sony and was told they were "damaged" and not covered by warranty. It appears they make the determination as to what is damaged and I have no say. If I had damaged them I would not have called. My concern that the product may have been poorly made had no impact.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Playstations can fill your room with smoke and reset the houses breakers, have almost had my home burn down because of Sony products. You call customer service to not speak to someone 9/10 times and if you do they just say “we're sorry”. Would give less than 1 star if possible.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Bought SONY HTCT800 Soundbar. Sounded good, but broke after 3 months. SONY insisted on having it repaired, rather than replacing. Pain in the ** to troubleshoot, remove from system, ship for repair, and wait 1 month. Got it back with new motherboard. Lasted 4 months then stopped working with same problem. Sony again refused to replace it, and insisted that I send it for repair. Terrible, rude customer service. Pain in the ** again, and another month lost. Warranty is running out, and I don't expect it to last much past warranty. DO NOT BUY SONY!!!

Original review: March 20, 2018

Sony just updated my Sony Bravia tv. Now it will not connect to the internet. No Netflix or anything else. When you contact support they turn you over to a ** who will guide you through the new technological maze for money. They break their tv's for filthy money! It is fraud! Never Sony. Never again.

Original review: March 6, 2018

S3700 Blu-Ray with built in WIFI and Customer Support - Unable to get Blu-Ray to connect to internet. Called support line, 4 times, at 30 to 45 min. wait each time for support personnel to answer. 1st call, support was unable to hear me and would call me back at the call number he requested. No return call. 2nd call, she walked me through powering off Blu-ray then setup steps, call dropped. No return call. 3rd call, after call answered immediate call drop. No callback. Problem is still not resolved, I will be returning the product to the store and purchasing another brand.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

The first time I played a PlayStation was 1996. Since I got my own console a couple of years later, PlayStation has been my console of choice. I have owned every iteration of PlayStation since, despite most of my friends switching over to Xbox, because Sony always treated me right and I preferred the exclusives PlayStation had to offer. Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and X, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Crash Bandicoot…these were (until very recently) the games that kept me coming back. Whenever I had an issue or a question, Sony was easy to contact and treated me like the loyal customer I have been all these years. This all changed last week. I had opted out of auto-renewal for PlayStation Plus twice during 2017, as Plus is a gift I often receive for Christmas. I received a PlayStation Plus code for Christmas last year, to keep my membership running until 12/25/2018.

I input the code, continued using Plus, and thought all was well. At the end of January, I checked my credit card statement and found that I had been charged $59.99 for another year of Plus on Christmas day (which appears on the statement due early February). PlayStation, simply put, would not refund the charge. I then contacted my credit card company and disputed the $59.99, re-entered the PlayStation Plus code I received for Christmas, and thought the inconvenience to be resolved. Upon waking up Wednesday morning (01/31/2018), I received a message stating my PlayStation account had been banned. On my way to work I called Sony customer service, thinking there had been a mistake (I have had a PlayStation account since the service was originally created on PS3 and had never taken any action for which I should receive discipline).

I was informed by the first agent I spoke with that I had been banned for disputing the $59.99 auto-renewal charge. I explained that I had opted out of auto-renewal and the charge was not authorized. The agent acknowledged this, and then stated that regardless it is against the terms of service to dispute any charge taken by PlayStation, and that the charge would have to be repaid for the ban to be lifted. I asked to speak to a supervisor and explained my history with the company, and that I wasn’t asking for a free year; I explained that I had already input a PlayStation Plus code and was simply looking for a refund for the unauthorized charge that was taken. The supervisor wasn’t helpful, and I asked to speak to a second supervisor.

I again explained the situation and my loyalty to PlayStation, and was told that this loyalty “didn’t matter” and that simply put, I had violated the terms of service and that the $59.99 would have to be paid to have access to even the year that had been paid for when I entered the PlayStation Plus code. At this point I felt betrayed and was completely irate. I had just gotten to work, so I decided to sit on it for a bit, and late in the day decided to reach out via chat to see if maybe another agent would better serve me. The agent could not, so I decided to pay the charge for now and call to argue later over possible compensation. At this point I was informed that I could not pay the charge; instead, I would have to drive to a store and purchase PlayStation Network cash cards to cover the $59.99, input them into a link he would email me, and wait 24 hours for the ban to be lifted.

Shocked and appalled that Sony wouldn’t even allow me to pay the charge that should be reimbursed in the first place, I grudgingly gave up, and agreed to proceed with this process. After work, I drove to Wal-Mart to buy the cards needed. I checked my email, and no email was ever sent. I also realized that PlayStation Network cash cards were only sold in $25, $50, and $100 denominations. I called and sat on hold for 15 minutes in Wal-Mart at 7 pm, and after speaking with the agent realized I would have to spend $75 on cards to reactivate the account. The agent assured me he would send me the link, and once I input the cards the account would be unbanned within 24 hours. The email, which I received when I got home, confirmed the 24 turnaround time. I input the cards and submitted them, then tried to erase this whole situation from my mind for the rest of the night.

The following night, just after 8 pm, I logged into my PlayStation account, and I was still banned. At this point I was in complete disbelief. My disbelief grew exponentially when I went to play one of my games offline and realized that every game I had ever purchased through PlayStation was locked. I had spent at least $1,000 in games throughout the years and yet somehow PlayStation was able to prevent me from playing any of them, despite the charge leading to this had been unauthorized, despite my attempt to pay the charge I didn’t owe, and despite having purchased $75 of PlayStation cash cards and waiting a 24 hour period. I frankly do not understand how a company can treat any customer this way, especially one who has been with the company for the majority of his life.

Even further, I do not understand how A) PlayStation can take an unauthorized charge, state it is non-refundable, and ban the account for disputing it, and B) lock every single game that was purchased because of it. Again, these are games I have already paid for! After 21 years of using PlayStation, I will be moving on from them once my subscription is up on 12/25/2018 unless Sony/PlayStation decides to contact me and work out a resolution (which among any financial compensation will need to include an apology). I encourage anyone reading this to share the story so that others do not fall victim to a company that not only mistreats the customers that keep them afloat, but also very realistically could be operating outside the law. Thank you for reading, and I hope this story will help inform your game purchasing decisions in the future.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Approximately 5 years ago, I purchased a Sony Receiver (Model 5700ES). At the time, I was hesitant to do so. Not only because I had never spent such a large sum of money on a piece of Stereo Equipment, but also because there are so many different options, reviews and opinions. Recently, that Sony receiver went into "Protector Mode" and essentially stopped working. At first, I was very disappointed after spending what I perceived as a lot of money on the product. Then, while shopping for a new receiver, I was notified of Sony's 5 year warranty. With only limited time left before the expiration of the 5 Year Warranty, I contact Sony's Customer Service. My experience could not have been better. It was easy, helpful, and all of my issues and concerns were resolved beyond my expectations. So much in fact that I felt compelled to write this and other reviews.

After calling Sony, I was quickly speaking with an actual customer service representative that listened to my problems. I was then transferred to a Technician to discuss my issue and was given helpful advice. I was then quickly sent an email confirming my service repair and sent a shipping label. Within a few days of shipping my receiver to the repair center, I was notified that the required parts were back-ordered. Initially, I was disappointed, but then I received a telephone call from Sony Customer Service and was advised that Sony was going to ship to me a BRAND NEW Sony AVR.

I am by no means an Audiophile (a want to be at best) or an electrical or sound engineer. I do, however, love music, and I wanted a high-quality receiver to power/drive my speakers and home theater. If you do enough research on the internet, you will undoubtedly read reviews that suggest that there is better quality stereo equipment than the Sony receiver I purchased. I am here (voluntarily) to tell you that YOU WILL NOT FIND BETTER CUSTOMER CARE/SERVICE anywhere. I will continue to purchase and stand behind Sony. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND SONY to anyone looking for quality stereo equipment and a company that will stand behind its products.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

So I had my PS4 sent out to Sony for repair because it was giving me problems with error codes and would work. It took more than I week for them to send it back, I got my confirmation email that my unit was on its way and when it got here I received an empty box that had minimum tape on one side and looked like it had been opened prior to getting to me, I have no idea what happened to my ps4 and after contacting sony they seem to feel the same way. So now according to them I have to wait 16 to 17 days before I hear back from them about what happened and as of right now I'm just here with no Ps4 and not knowing what is going on. Unacceptable and they can forget about me buying any more sony products or suggesting people I know to buy them. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Sony practices predatory billing. I bought 1 month online access only as I could only use 3 weeks. I did not see or agree to any auto billing. 3 days after the single month of service ended, I returned home. I found that my card had been charged again. I immediately tried to get Sony to cancel and refund and was unable to communicate with them due to constant very long hold times. I disputed the charge and they lost the chargeback dispute. A year later I buy a video game and I cannot use it due to it requires online access through Sony. I try to log in expecting to have to buy access but my account is banned. Sony wants to be paid for the month they billed against my card without permission and for the dispute they already lost!

Again I tried to contact Sony. I waited through over 200 clients in front of me. Nearly an hour later I get tech support. We passed the issue back and forth politely about 10 times but the end answer from the Sony rep was tough. "You have to pay for something you did not get or be permanently banned." Well guess what? It is about what's right and what's not. I returned the video game. I will never buy anything with the Sony name on it again. Being that I have spent over $7,000 on Sony brands in the past 6 years and would have spent at least $3,000 in the next 6 years, Sony has now lost at least a few hundred in net profits over a $9.99 bill that they unjustly billed against me.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

CMTX5CD Micro Stereo System - Great little music device BUT there is no illumination for any of the controls. I have to keep a small flashlight near the unit so I can see where to adjust the volume or any other setting. Thank goodness there is a small light to indicate where the power button is located. Everything else is found by fumbling in the dark. Too bad cause otherwise very happy with the sound it produces -- just can't see a damn thing on the control panel.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I pre-ordered a game on the PlayStation store, but it was the wrong version of the product I wanted to order (they have various different versions - standard, deluxe, super deluxe, etc). I just wanted a different version of the game I pre-ordered but Sony refused to let me do the change. The game doesn't even come out for another 2 months. I have not used this product at all. It's currently impossible for me to use the product, but Sony still won't let me change to the version of the product I wanted. There's a slight difference in price but I offered to accept the difference in the form of a store credit, and still Sony refused. It's ridiculous that I can't get a refund for a product I don't even own yet! This is one of the most consumer unfriendly practices I can imagine. And the killer is they WOULD allow this exchange to happen if I were a UK customer. As to why they have such a ridiculous policy ONLY in the US can't possibly be described as fair.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I was buying Trine Bundle on PSN at a discounted price on the day the sale ended. I had the item in my cart and was adding a credit card putting in the information when the screen froze and I had to exit the store. I went back into the store to checkout and the price had changed. I immediately called customer support and they took a long time to respond, then when I was on the line the representative just kept repeating they couldn't help me, blatantly said it was my fault for not buying the item sooner, and refused to let me complete my purchase at the discounted price.

I spoke with several managers who admitted that they could change the price, or offer a discount or coupon or add funds to my wallet but that they wouldn't. They just kept repeating, "We can't do that." Very unhelpful. It's like if you're giving your credit card and there's a glitch on the store's end then you are expected to pay more because their system froze on me. Very bad experience.

Original review: May 14, 2017

I am an owner of Sony projector LSPX-W1 bought April 2016 for US$ 48,000.00 .They promised me in the feature a firmware update for HDMi 2.00 and HDR. Now they came out with the VPL-VZ1000Es, half the price with same technique but already improved with HDMI 2.00, HDR ,and lens shift. Which is missing in my projector. I have written Sony a few times, end last year and this year. And they have no answer. Once again Sony can you sent a firmware update for this projector the LSPX-W1, I think must be no problem for you, and will make the few owners happy.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Sony is the worst product and after customer service I ever seen, my headphone start to break after few months!!! Ask for a replacement they refused it, if I have advice don't buy SONY product period.

Sony Company Information