2. Miscellaneous

Sony

Sony
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5

Sony Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I have owned 5 Sony DVD players over the past 2 years. After 3 months each would start failing. First it would stop playing BluRay and then eventually it would not play any DVD. My current one freezes the screen.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I’m not one that cares to write reviews. I usually just take it on the chin and Move On but this experience with Sony like many other peoples was the worst experience I’ve ever had, all the stuff you read in the one star reviews is absolutely true. I’ve gone through three TVs. They were brand new. Screen burn happened in the lower corner and pixels burned out within weeks of owning the TV. One TV could not be updated. It would not connect to the Internet. I paid for a warranty. That’s a total scam but luckily I bought it from Best Buy and disputed the sale against them. They would not refund my purchase but they gave me a new TV that has already burned out and has missing pixels and won’t update and I purchased this TV in 2020. It’s brand new.

I prefer to play on Xbox. People say negative things about Xbox but in reality it’s just better in every way except for some Japanese exclusives that you might like which I’ve become soured on over the years repetitive gameplay. All of their games tend to be the same remakes year after year which is fine. Everyone does it but their customer service is absolute garbage. Good luck getting a refund on PlayStation network. Apparently they’ll ban your account if you ask for a refund. What a bunch of psychos and don’t expect to actually talk to someone from Sony you will be third partied out to another company that has nothing to do with Sony, warranties won’t be fulfilled. At least they never work for me.

I try to give this company the best faith I can. I submitted a pre-order for PlayStation 5 from GameStop- today was supposed to be the day but I guess they released it early last night without telling me so now I have no way to get my pre-ordered PlayStation 5 on the day that it was supposed to be announced. I will never buy a single product from Sony for the rest of my life. No matter how good it is, how good the game is, how good the system is, it doesn’t make up for how horrible of a company they are.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2020

Nearly new (2 uses in good conditions). Sony Alpha lens had dust inside. Shipped it to Precision Camera Repair. Insured it myself ($54) because it wasn't covered. Received it back with a different piece of dust or a scratch inside, not insured and no signature required. There were specks of dust on the surface of the lens as well. They said it had been returned to factory specifications (within just hours, apparently since they received it and shipped it back on May 12). Calling Sony to try and have it exchanged since Precision Camera Repair obviously can't get the job done. Sony is requiring us to ship the lens back to the same location for repair... ?!?! And there is no one to call for help. BUY A DIFFERENT MANUFACTURER'S LENS, or at least buy a prot.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I spent close to $2,000 for this camera. Sent it in for repair the beginning of January. Backorder for part 2 months. Poor customer Service. I am leaving for a trip to India, and they're saying I won't get it back until the end of February. John in support told me... I'm basically SOL. It was repaired once while still under warranty. I'm trying to see if there's any way Sony can expedite this. When I asked John to speak with a Supervisor, he told me he doesn't have one & he can't transfer me to anyone. Would not give me a phone number to speak with anyone, said I need to e-mail them... which I have. I will NEVER buy another Sony Product. HORRIBLE customer service. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

After having a known and common technical problem with a Sony Xperia phone, we contacted them per manufacturer warranty instructions. Once on the line we were told we would have to do a complete factory reset before we would be allowed to take our phone in for services. Not only did this make the issues on the phone worse (we can no longer use the device now as it is in a looped reset mode) but we were told after the reset that the manufacturer warranty did not cover our phone at all. So not only did the Sony technician make it worse, we were left high and dry after following his "required" steps to service the phone. Absolutely terrible service.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I sent my ILCE a6000 in for repair to PCR, a third party company Sony sends their repairs to. SONY then emailed me back saying that "the camera was beyond economical to repair". To my surprise, SONY offered me "a replacement for a brand new unit of the SAME model for the amount of $165.00 USD". I immediately called Sony and made the payment. A couple of days later, my package arrived from sony and to my surprise, they sent me a camera body WITHOUT LENS. The camera was also NOT NEW because there were fingerprints all over the camera...

Frustrated, I called sony looking for answers. Sony told me they needed to investigate with PCR where my lens were and that they would send me my OLD/BROKEN lens back. I informed Sony that I do NOT want my lens back since they are broken (and thus why I sent them for repair in the first place) and that I want the NEW lens that I rightfully paid for! Sony promised me they would call me the next day with answers. It has been NINE DAYS IN A ROW that I have been calling Sony for answers.

In those NINE DAYS I have been laughed at and even called a LIAR. Sony literally accused me of lying "that I never sent in lens" and "that my camera never came with lens". I then sent them not only a confirmation email from PCR that they received lens with my camera, but I also sent sony my original receipt from Best Buy that my camera did in fact come with lens, and still, Sony has done NOTHING! They did not apologize for accusing me of lying. They did not send me new lens. They did not even send me back my old broken lens. They are THIEVES! They took my money and sent me back HALF OF A CAMERA.

I have been calling sony EVERY SINGLE DAY for NINE DAYS now and LITERALLY all they keep telling me every single day is that "they wish they could provide me with more information but I have to wait 2-3 days and they will call me", yet no one calls me. No one emails me. No one has been contacting me. I have been calling sony every single day and they will not transfer me to management. They will not help me. They laugh at me. They accused me of being a liar, and have even made me convinced that this was all a scam. I cannot believe that I have been receiving such horrible customer service.

It took them two minutes to take my money, but it's taking them (so far and counting) WEEKS to just send me my lens that I PAID FOR! This has been SUCH A DISASTER! I have called Sony kindly begging for answers, yelling, crying. You name it. I have tried it. They stole my money and I do not think I will ever get my camera. Sony should be ashamed of how they address problems customers are having. This has been the worst experience of my life and I am simply ready to just GIVE UP! I will NEVER purchase another sony product again! PCR & SONY do not communicate well between each other. STAY AWAY! I wish I would have never accepted that offer and put that $165 towards a new camera! Such a scam!!!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Rare for me to post a bad review, but you should know that you will have zero phone support if you purchase a camera from Sony. I recently purchased some high end cameras and lenses from Sony, and I have a lens mount issue with their G Master 70-200mm lens on an A7 body (a $5,900.00 combination). I have some rotational play on the lens, and I have been trying to get an answer from Sony if this obvious defect is normal. I called Sony, and spoke with somebody who is obviously out of the Country, and it was a terrible connection. Had to call 3 times before getting a good connection. They could not help as they only document problems, and they gave me a number for Precision Camera.

Precision camera, a third party, does all the repair work for Sony in the USA, and they are also unable to answer a simple question that I have. They tell you to pack up your gear and send it to them to evaluate, and then charge you a fee if they determine nothing is wrong. Seriously, why can't I speak with somebody who is knowledgeable for simple questions after spending more than 12K on all my Sony gear? Canon and Nikon have never treated me this way, and that is why all my Sony gear is going back this week.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Sony LED Product is Very Poor and he makes a Rubbish product. After Warranty, Product is damaged. This is a fake company and the product is defective. The life of product is Under Warranty, then the product is damaged.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Sony is a renowned brand that is using their name to sell equipment at a high price, however when trying to get in touch with their Customer Service after the product is defect they are treating you as a consumer ready to spend more money on their products and do not acknowledge any issue on their end. My main board gave up not even 2 years after the purchase of a 50 inch Smart TV. This happened all of the sudden with no warning signs. Paying close to $900 dollars for a TV that has a life expectancy of less than 2 years is not what you would call a good investment.

Chatting with the customer service over a year ago, they were pretty sexist and not taking my wife seriously and brushed her off saying that she should drive the TV to a service center more than an hour away from the city we are living in and have it repaired at our costs. Our friends had a similar issue with a TV that was bought shortly after and told us that their TV gave up not too long ago and were wondering what our experience was since they did get someone out to change the board without any questions asked. Neither of us had an extended warranty and Sony recognized that the issue with our friends TV was a known issue for these type of TV's and boards they were using.

I decided to contact them again after our friends experience but I got a rep asking me if I went through all the troubleshooting to factory reset the TV.. on a TV that does not even turn on. No matter in what way I told him, he insisted me to go through those troubleshooting steps. After which he told me that this was outside of the warranty and there was nothing he could do to help and that he was going to set me up with their paid repair services.

This was totally unexpected from a big company such as Sony and this type of service with no empathy or recognition of defect material is not what they built their name on. Reliability, taking ownership of those errors and satisfying customers was one of their go to's and what made Sony such a great company, but it seems that consumerism has taken the better of it. I will never pay $900 for a TV where I will be able to pay $400 for the same type of TV with a different brand.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I'm reviewing their channel "Crackle". It is hard to watch with all the freezing and double playing of scenes. Too bad because I really wanted to like it since it's free. So if they could clean up their stream I'd recommend it. I enjoyed the show "RAKE"!

Sony Company Information