2. Elder Care

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.21/5
Get Pricing

Starkey is a privately held, global hearing technology company headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Founded by Bill Austin in 1967, Starkey is known for its innovative design, development and distribution of comprehensive digital hearing systems. Led today by President Brandon Sawalich, Starkey is the only American-owned provider of hearing technologies. The company has more than 5,000 employees, operates 26+ facilities and does business in more than 100 markets worldwide.

Starkey Video
Starkey Gallery (6)
Starkey Hearing Aids Call Now Toll Free (888) 267-1753 Learn More Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

BOTTOM LINE

Starkey Hearing Technologies develops hearing aids under three brand names. Starkey manufactures 10 different styles of hearing aids for all levels of hearing loss.

PROS

• State-of-the-art technology
  • Thrive Hearing Control app
  • Styles for all levels of hearing loss

CONS

• Not always covered by insurance

How do Starkey Hearing aids work?

Start by visiting your local audiologist or hearing professional to find out if you’re a candidate for Starkey hearing aids. Your health care professional can help you pick the best style of hearing aid for your lifestyle and level of hearing loss.

Some of the most popular models of Starkey hearing aids include:

Receiver-in-canal
  • Multiple technologies available
In-the-ear
  • Easy adjustments
  • For mild/severe hearing loss

What features come with Starkey hearing aids?

Some of Starkey’s hearing aids come equipped with state-of-the-art technology that allows you to stream music and phone calls. These hearing aids also let you use the Thrive Hearing Control app to control hearing aid settings from your smartphone. This controls three main settings:

• Hearing Performance controls sound quality and clarity with speech enhancement features and noise control. It allows you to create presets for regular settings.
  • Healthable Technology keeps track of your steps, daily activities and social engagement. It comes equipped with a fall-detection feature and heart rate monitoring.
  • Information Assistance lets you ask the Thrive Assistant questions to troubleshoot issues. You can request remote adjustments to your hearing aids without needing to schedule an office visit, and the app can even transcribe conversations to your smartphone.

Starkey hearing aids require a four-month adjustment period. This process of reacclimating to certain noises can be strenuous on the brain, especially if your hearing has been declining for a while. Your Starkey hearing aids could require several adjustments, so the company recommends staying in contact with your hearing professional during this period.

How much do Starkey hearing aids cost?

The cost of Starkey hearing aids varies based on the model and features. Most hearing professionals offer hearing aid payment plans, so ask your local audiologist about payment options. You could qualify for free hearing aids or a discount through:

• Your union
  • Your employer
  • Veterans Affairs benefits
  • Your insurance provider/HMO
  • A local charity

You could be eligible for partial or full coverage through Medicare or Medicaid. While most Medicare plans don’t cover hearing aids, you might receive benefits if you’re Medicare Advantage plan member. Medicaid often covers hearing aids for adults and typically gives full funding for children’s hearing aids.

Are Starkey Hearing aids worth it?

Starkey hearing aids are customizable and come in a variety of options. With the ability to easily adjust your hearing aids through the Thrive Hearing Control app, they’re a great option for all levels of hearing loss. The company also creates a variety of styles to help fit every person's preference for appearance and comfort. If you struggle with hearing loss, Starkey hearing aids could be the right choice for you.

Starkey Hearing Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey Hearing Aids?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey?

Original review: June 19, 2020

I’ve had Starkey hearing aids for about 7 or 8 years and they’re great. I upgraded to the Livio aids about three years ago, which was a worthwhile change. I tend not to use all of the various adjustments that are available, limiting them to a regular setting, a setting I call “restaurant” which is for noisy environments, and a setting I call “car” to deal with feedback when I’m in the enclosed space of my car (it is set to go on automatically when I’m moving faster than 10 mph, so I don’t have to adjust anything when I’m in my car). I have not noticed any problems with my hearing aids, but I’ll see my hearing provider next week for a hearing checkup and may upgrade if the hearing provider thinks the newer aids may be even better than my current Starkey Livio.

When I purchased my current hearing aids, I experimented with the AI model, but decided they weren’t useful for me because I do a fair amount of exercise and perspire enough that the perspiration always kills the batteries. Accordingly, I would not get any accurate reading of my exercise level since the batteries would die just shortly into my exercise sessions. If I were to pick my biggest complaint about the hearing aids (which may be true of all hearing aids), it’s that I can’t use them while I exercise because the perspiration gets to the batteries and they stop functioning. I, therefore, unfortunately, don’t use them in my group exercise classes (all, of course, on hold during the Covid-19 lockdowns).

I would like to use my hearing aids to better hear the TV I have in my home exercise room, but the perspiration always causes the batteries to stop working in the middle of a workout. I don’t know if rechargeable hearing aids will be better or worse for exercise. My main concern is that the perspiration will destroy the hearing aids. Anyway, I think Starkey makes a terrific hearing aid, but would prefer one that wasn’t quickly affected by perspiration.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for sharing your Starkey hearing aid experience with us! We appreciate your valuable feedback to help us make improvements to our products and service.

Starkey

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Testing the Starkey AI 2400 with a cross system. I am deaf, only 50%. My right ear does not function. I was born this way. I learned to live with it. But now, after 40 years I got myself a cross system. This sends the sound from my deaf ear to the good one. I never realised I missed so much sound... I hear a lot better now! I may test this device before buying, but after only 2days of use I am convinced that I will buy!

Only minor I have the the connectivity towards Android. I used my phone as mp3 player when walking around. I read streaming music would be possible to the hearings aids, but it seems very hard. I am using an Samsung S8. It connects easily to the Starkey, but playing music through bluetooth is not possible, unless I buy an extra microphone. Seems not that handy carrying an extra item just to listen to music when moving around. An android app that allows you to play music without extras is something we need. The iPhone seems to work well, just android users are left out. Also the live translation sounds awesome and I would have much use of it, but it doesn't work on my android. Hope to see this fixed.

Hi Tommy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We are so happy you are pleased with your Livio hearing aids!

Also, thank you for sharing your feedback regarding connectivity - We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues. We'd like to see if we can help with the problems you are having, so please contact us at mobile_support@starkey.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you!

Starkey Hearing

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I've been using them for six months. I'm delighted to hear conversations clearly, stream music from my Android phone into my ears, and stream movie sound tracks directly into my ears in stereo. One quibble (I'll have to make an appt with my audiologist to see if it can be resolved, since I find nothing online or in the manual to help): This type of hearing aid perches atop my ear. A short length of clear plastic (perhaps called the "retention lock"?) goes from it into what I think is called the "concha" of the external ear.

I take my glasses off and put them on again many times per day, always careful to make sure the hearing aids are in place. But recently, I keep finding the left hearing aid dangling from my ear! I worry that it might fall out, unnoticed, onto the street, into the garden, into a toilet... Perhaps the cable (which connects the aid to the receiver) is the problem--it's bent sharply where it touches the external auditory canal. Or has the plastic retention lock has become deformed a bit? I hope to get an appt this week and perhaps this problem will be resolved. So there are three parts to this review. 1) I love my hearing aids; 2) one keeps trying to fall out; and 3) be sure to find an experienced and caring audiologist who will answer all your questions.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Sharon, Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback and positive review! We are proud to you are wearing and enjoying your Starkey Hearing Aids! You are on the right track by working with your audiologist to adjust the tube length and retention lock.

Thanks again,

Starkey

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I bought the hearing aid muse 2400 cic around 1 and half years ago with 4 years warranty from Anand hearing care pvtLtd patiala(punjab) (India). I am very much satisfied with the aid. This device helped me to feel the great way of life as it changed my life. But yesterday night when I was removing it from one of my ear I was surprised to see its part broke. I never expected that quality from such a reputed company. Moreover it's mentioned on warranty card that no damage covers in warranty. As it's not my fault that it got damaged. Kindly help me to get my aid replaced as I am facing problem without aid. Hope for quick resolution for my problem. My contact **.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Dear Mr. Jindal, We apologize for the quality flaw you have encountered. This is so embarrassing to us that your hearing aid would come apart. The Muse CIC is usually extremely reliable. You are working with a group of Professionals with a relationship with Starkey Hearing Technology in India. If you explain the circumstances to them and have them communicate to the Customer Service Team, I’m sure things will be sorted out. I’m very happy that you availed yourself of the extended warranty. That was very smart of you. This makes your situation much easier to address by everyone involved. Please let me know if your conversation is not I favorable describe. Thank you for being clear and concise in your communications with us.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I've been in this business for 35 years, and I've always loved Starkey. They're innovative. I have a lot of connections with them, and they will always bend over backwards to help you do the best fit. And if your hearing aid is just barely out of warranty and something goes wrong with it, a lot of times, they'll do a courtesy repair, and other companies don't do that. I'm an audiologist, so I fit hearing aids, and I recommend Starkey to my patients all the time. They are a leader in the industry. And right now, with the Livio product and with the AI intelligence, they are moving forward into the 21st century.

Mr. Austin has always had a vision, and he came out with the first CIC, and that was a major boom to our industry because everybody wants the hearing aids not to show. And with this artificial intelligence that he's doing in making it healthable besides just helping you with your hearing is a big, big thing for the industry. He goes all over the world fitting people who can't afford hearing aids, and a little bit of every hearing aid that he sold goes to promote that program, and I have participated in that. It is just a wonderful thing to be able to give people the gift of hearing. They couldn't afford it and wouldn't have it any other way. He runs a program that if you can't afford the hearing aid, if you meet the qualifications, you fill out the application, and you get brand new hearing aids for $125 each. So for $250, you can get top-line technology if you qualify for this program, and lots of companies do that.

Their newest product have helped in making speech more intelligible particularly in background noise and have been rated very high in those situations. So I like that feature and how they help the person hear better. I have good relationships with all of my representatives. They're very helpful, and they'll bend over backwards and go that extra mile for you. They're a great company.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you, Beverly! We are so happy you chose Starkey!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

The Live 2400 are the second set of Starkey hearing aids I have purchased. The first set was amazing and I never had an issue. My hearing and needs changed so I had to upgrade. Since my first set was so reliable I decided to stick with Starkey. Unfortunately I have had nothing but issues with this Starkey product. They stopped working within the first 6 months. They have been sent back to the manufacturer twice and now I am going through batteries every 3 to 4 hours. The rapid loss in hearing ability is affecting life and job. When they are working properly, these are fantastic and I can't say enough good things about the product and company. Sadly, I think this particular model seems to be a lemon.

Hi Amy,

Thank you for the feedback, and I’m sorry for your experience. I don’t have enough information to research your particular hearing aid repair history, however I have seen incredible results in the last two years with the Livio product line. If you would like to have us dig deeper into your account with the product to understand better the changes between the hearing device of your past and the current model, please email with the serial numbers. I would love to get your permission to consult with your Audiologist about your case. If you like this idea, please let me know, and I will provide you with a contact email. I do hope you are hearing better and staying safe.

Starkey

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I’ve been wearing hearing aids since I was 35 years old. I’m now 63 so I’ve had several pairs of hearing aids. All Starkey. The Halo 2 that I have now are constantly not connecting with my phone through the Thrive app provided by Starkey. I have sent them back for repairs multiple times. And they say the problem is with my iPhone. I’ve gone from an IPhone 6S up to an iPhone X and still the same problem! My aids are still under warranty. My audiologist admitted that Starkey knows there is a problem with the Halos and IPhone connectivity. So I asked about an upgrade to the Livio (I used them for 2 weeks and they NEVER had any issues connecting with my iPhone.). I wanted to upgrade but my audiologists only offered a discount off of the full price of a pair of Livio. So I would have to pay $4000 plus tax to upgrade even though my Halos are still under warranty.

Starkey does Nothing to help their users even though they know there is an issue with their hearing aids. I use my phone to book clients, explain procedures and most of the time my aids won’t connect. Don’t buy from Starkey, their customer support is awful! They just send you back to your audiologists and they can’t help you because of Starkey’s design flaws!

Hi Libby,

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. We’re sorry to hear about your experience with Bluetooth and we will use your feedback to improve our products and service.

If you haven't already directly reached out to us. We'd like to see if we can help with the problems you are having, so please contact us at 1-800-721-3573 or mobile_support@starkey.com at your earliest convenience. We also welcome any questions, feedback, or suggestions you might have.

In the meantime - the following are tips for addressing connection difficulties such as this:

a) Do you have other Apple devices in your area using the same Wi-Fi and have the same iCloud account? If you do turn the Bluetooth off on those devices. Apple has a feature call Handoff that lets other devices connect to the hearing aids.

b) If you have the hearing aids paired to another device, turn that device Bluetooth off.

- When you experience the hearing aid not being found by the Thrive app, toggle off Bluetooth for a few seconds, then back on. The majority of the time, it will get discovered by the app.

- There are times when the Thrive app will not find the hearing aid, and you will need to power cycle the hearing aid(s).

- If you make calls using Wi-Fi from home, please see if you are using the 5GHz band, not the 2.4GHz.

- Turn off ‘Control Nearby Devices’ under iOS Settings>Accessibility>Hearing Devices

Starkey Hearing

Original review: June 30, 2020

I originally purchased in the canal aids. Starkey couldn't keep them working. They replaced them with behind the ear models. They were just as unreliable. They were sent in many times for repair. Now out of warranty for 2 months had 1 quit working sent it to Century Hearing Aid repair and couldn't be fix. Was told the circuit board is fried. 3 year old aid that is useless.

Hi Jesse,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We regret to hear you’ve had a poor experience. We know Starkey Hearing Professionals are always up to the challenge to make sure their patients are satisfied. We are happy to conference with your Audiologist during your next appointment to review the repair history and options for addressing your concerns. Please contact us at information@starkey.com.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback.

Resolution response: July 8, 2020

Resolve.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Well, my story started 12yrs back when I developed sudden hearing loss in both ears. I used to use a Bernafon BTE, then promoted to Bernafon ITC. But due to their huge size, they were always a concern for me. Then I learned about Soundlens IQ 11 and purchased one (not pair) for left ear for 2400USD in 2010 from Kuwait (was working there). I was happy for a while because it was invisible, but that is it. After I came back India, my audiologist convinced me to get another for right ear, so another 2800USD in 2013 (IQ9 and more costlier than my old IQ 11). I don't why so much variation in prices. So both of them are dragged for 4/5 years.

Now new city and new audiologist. Finally there was scam from Starkey that INR 3,00,000 (3975USD) hearing aid selling for INR 50,000(~665USD). And my audiologist just sat on throat to purchase new one. She'll advertise like super cheap, better hearing quality and blah blah blah. My old Starkey hearing aid were getting worn out, so thought to upgrade them and purchased a pair.

First problem is that susceptible Model number. I was using Soundlens IQ 11 and IQ 9, now this is Soundlens Synergy 2400, note IQ is missing. So that made more confusion whether Starkey is selling cheap product under a different Model number. And believe me till today my audiologist wouldn't explain where is IQ model, all she'll say IQ is obsolete model, Synergy is new model. If it is obsolete why IQ is still displayed on Starkey website? Moving on, the day I received these new hearing aids, I could feel there is a lot of amplification, but voice quality is compromised. Then she told me another theory that it will take time to adjust. Making simple phone calls were so impossible using those hearing aids. So paid a huge amount, got brand new hearing aid and all you got is disappointment.

I refused to accept the hearing aid as those were unusable during office hours, so we did 3 times back and forth from Starkey to my audiologist. Mind it new ones!!! And finally we called Starkey folk to the place where I bought, but he is of no use. Since Starkey employee itself gave up, all I had option to buy it forcefully. I was lucky that I had not paid the full amount. Just for sake of the audiologist and her genuine trying to fix it, I decided to buy only one and refused to buy the other one. That went on another drama where she forced me that customized hearing aids cannot be returned, which is another lie. I learned from another audiologist that all hearing aids comes money back warranty for 10/15 days. So after a series of heated argument, she asked me to pay INR 7,000 for shelling and return it.

Unfortunately, my old IQ 9 gave up after a week and had to purchase the one I had returned. She lied to me again, and charged 7K for return + 50K for hearing aid + 7K for shelling), so literally I purchased the same hearing aid that I returned with additional 7K. After spending so much, these Starkey Synergy 2400 would always need a repair in every 6 months now. They would just shut off without any reason at any fine day. I remember that horrible day when I was returning from another country, both of the hearing aids were just dead in the same morning and I had a flight to catch. I just did an oversea travel without any hearing aid with immigrations and check-ins to be done :(.

Now I get a very common reason that "humidity" is the real culprit and dumped me a dehumidifier for hearing aids for few grands again. Note I never had humidity problem in IQ 11 and IQ 9 hearing aid. To summarize, after spending nearly 8000USD (so far) with Starkey, I am using my 2nd hearing aid which is 10 yrs old and that costed my around 300USD. So take away from my story and for Starkey is:

1. Hearing aids are not fashions, they are costly and dependable devices. Please stop selling cheap products with huge discounts for sake looting people.
    2. There are a huge number of model numbers in Starkey, stop confusing customers and your selling partners.
    3. Do a quality check for your selling vendors.
    4. My new hearing aids have gone at least 3 times repair within 2 yrs of purchase. Repair it properly, don't just wait for hearing aids to go out warranty and charge a huge amount to customers after that.

5. While making an IIC product, didn’t you know that humidity could be a problem and place right parts for them? Starkey Synergy 2400 IS “NOT AT ALL” WEATHER FRIENDLY, STOP MANUFACTURING THEM IN INDIA.

Original review: June 11, 2020

Starkey has a program called hearing now. It is a program to help people who can't afford hearing aids. I applied for it. Starkey gave me a pair of free hearing aid Which was very nice of them. But I didn't know they only had a 90 day warranty. They broke in a 120 days. I can't afford to fix them So I'm kind of stuck. I do have to say they are better and what I had and I can hear Out of them.

Hi Mr. Ennis,

Thank you for sharing this information with us. I’m sorry to let you know that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Hear Now program has suspended operations. We do not know when the activities will reopen. Please check the Foundation website at starkeyhearingfoundation.org – click on Hear Now – for updates.

Regarding your devices, until the Hear Now program resumes operation, we recommend reaching out to local nonprofits like the Lions Club, Religious organizations, and city services for help with the cost. If you choose to go to an independent practice, many will accept payment plans.

Thank you for using the Hear Now Service, and we hope you are staying safe and healthy.

Starkey Hearing Aids Company Information

1967
    6700 Washington Avenue S.
    Eden Prairie