2. Elder Care

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.40/5
Learn More

Starkey is a privately held, global hearing technology company headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Founded by Bill Austin in 1967, Starkey is known for its innovative design, development and distribution of comprehensive digital hearing systems. Led today by President Brandon Sawalich, Starkey is the only American-owned provider of hearing technologies. The company has more than 6,000 employees, operates 26+ facilities and does business in more than 100 markets worldwide.

Starkey Video
Starkey Gallery (6)
View More View More
Starkey Hearing Aids Call Now Toll Free (888) 267-1753 Learn More Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

BOTTOM LINE

Starkey Hearing Technologies develops hearing aids under three brand names. Starkey manufactures 10 different styles of hearing aids for all levels of hearing loss.

PROS

• State-of-the-art technology
  • Thrive Hearing Control app
  • Styles for all levels of hearing loss

CONS

• Not always covered by insurance

How do Starkey Hearing aids work?

Start by visiting your local audiologist or hearing professional to find out if you’re a candidate for Starkey hearing aids. Your health care professional can help you pick the best style of hearing aid for your lifestyle and level of hearing loss.

Some of the most popular models of Starkey hearing aids include:

Receiver-in-canal
  • Multiple technologies available
In-the-ear
  • Easy adjustments
  • For mild/severe hearing loss

What features come with Starkey hearing aids?

Some of Starkey’s hearing aids come equipped with state-of-the-art technology that allows you to stream music and phone calls. These hearing aids also let you use the Thrive Hearing Control app to control hearing aid settings from your smartphone. This controls three main settings:

• Hearing Performance controls sound quality and clarity with speech enhancement features and noise control. It allows you to create presets for regular settings.
  • Healthable Technology keeps track of your steps, daily activities and social engagement. It comes equipped with a fall-detection feature and heart rate monitoring.
  • Information Assistance lets you ask the Thrive Assistant questions to troubleshoot issues. You can request remote adjustments to your hearing aids without needing to schedule an office visit, and the app can even transcribe conversations to your smartphone.

Starkey hearing aids require a four-month adjustment period. This process of reacclimating to certain noises can be strenuous on the brain, especially if your hearing has been declining for a while. Your Starkey hearing aids could require several adjustments, so the company recommends staying in contact with your hearing professional during this period.

How much do Starkey hearing aids cost?

The cost of Starkey hearing aids varies based on the model and features. Most hearing professionals offer hearing aid payment plans, so ask your local audiologist about payment options. You could qualify for free hearing aids or a discount through:

• Your union
  • Your employer
  • Veterans Affairs benefits
  • Your insurance provider/HMO
  • A local charity

You could be eligible for partial or full coverage through Medicare or Medicaid. While most Medicare plans don’t cover hearing aids, you might receive benefits if you’re Medicare Advantage plan member. Medicaid often covers hearing aids for adults and typically gives full funding for children’s hearing aids.

Are Starkey Hearing aids worth it?

Starkey hearing aids are customizable and come in a variety of options. With the ability to easily adjust your hearing aids through the Thrive Hearing Control app, they’re a great option for all levels of hearing loss. The company also creates a variety of styles to help fit every person's preference for appearance and comfort. If you struggle with hearing loss, Starkey hearing aids could be the right choice for you.

Starkey Hearing Aids Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

These hearing aids were chosen for me by the specialist at The Hearing Center in Rogers, AR. My hearing problem is not so much with volume but with clarity. Before hearing tests, I was missing too much of the conversations at family gatherings and the movies, and hearing weird things on my favorite TV shows. Shortly after I started wearing them, I realized how many sounds I forgot belonged to certain activities. Like the sound of water filling a glass and chicken or fish frying.

What really capped it for me was watching a movie for the second time (with hearing aids) and realizing how much of the dialogue I had missed the first time, especially how one character had responded to a sound which I hadn't heard. That explained a part of the story, which had earlier confused me. When I was in the supermarket, I was startled when the refrigeration in the frozen food aisle turned on. Also I was very pleased that I could turn to the app on my cell phone and change the setting to block out the screams of some misbehaving children. In a crowded restaurant that app enabled me to participate fully in the conversation with four of my family members. (I gave this product only four stars, because wearing the hearing aids is still not second nature to me and sometimes becomes bothersome to the skin of my ears. When that changes, I will change that rating.) A great investment toward being all that I am.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Margaret, Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for sharing your experience! Sincerely, Starkey

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Testing the Starkey AI 2400 with a cross system. I am deaf, only 50%. My right ear does not function. I was born this way. I learned to live with it. But now, after 40 years I got myself a cross system. This sends the sound from my deaf ear to the good one. I never realised I missed so much sound... I hear a lot better now! I may test this device before buying, but after only 2days of use I am convinced that I will buy!

Only minor I have the the connectivity towards Android. I used my phone as mp3 player when walking around. I read streaming music would be possible to the hearings aids, but it seems very hard. I am using an Samsung S8. It connects easily to the Starkey, but playing music through bluetooth is not possible, unless I buy an extra microphone. Seems not that handy carrying an extra item just to listen to music when moving around. An android app that allows you to play music without extras is something we need. The iPhone seems to work well, just android users are left out. Also the live translation sounds awesome and I would have much use of it, but it doesn't work on my android. Hope to see this fixed.

Hi Tommy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We are so happy you are pleased with your Livio hearing aids!

Also, thank you for sharing your feedback regarding connectivity - We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues. We'd like to see if we can help with the problems you are having, so please contact us at mobile_support@starkey.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you!

Starkey Hearing

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I've been using them for six months. I'm delighted to hear conversations clearly, stream music from my Android phone into my ears, and stream movie sound tracks directly into my ears in stereo. One quibble (I'll have to make an appt with my audiologist to see if it can be resolved, since I find nothing online or in the manual to help): This type of hearing aid perches atop my ear. A short length of clear plastic (perhaps called the "retention lock"?) goes from it into what I think is called the "concha" of the external ear.

I take my glasses off and put them on again many times per day, always careful to make sure the hearing aids are in place. But recently, I keep finding the left hearing aid dangling from my ear! I worry that it might fall out, unnoticed, onto the street, into the garden, into a toilet... Perhaps the cable (which connects the aid to the receiver) is the problem--it's bent sharply where it touches the external auditory canal. Or has the plastic retention lock has become deformed a bit? I hope to get an appt this week and perhaps this problem will be resolved. So there are three parts to this review. 1) I love my hearing aids; 2) one keeps trying to fall out; and 3) be sure to find an experienced and caring audiologist who will answer all your questions.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Sharon, Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback and positive review! We are proud to you are wearing and enjoying your Starkey Hearing Aids! You are on the right track by working with your audiologist to adjust the tube length and retention lock.

Thanks again,

Starkey

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I bought the hearing aid muse 2400 cic around 1 and half years ago with 4 years warranty from Anand hearing care pvtLtd patiala(punjab) (India). I am very much satisfied with the aid. This device helped me to feel the great way of life as it changed my life. But yesterday night when I was removing it from one of my ear I was surprised to see its part broke. I never expected that quality from such a reputed company. Moreover it's mentioned on warranty card that no damage covers in warranty. As it's not my fault that it got damaged. Kindly help me to get my aid replaced as I am facing problem without aid. Hope for quick resolution for my problem. My contact **.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Dear Mr. Jindal, We apologize for the quality flaw you have encountered. This is so embarrassing to us that your hearing aid would come apart. The Muse CIC is usually extremely reliable. You are working with a group of Professionals with a relationship with Starkey Hearing Technology in India. If you explain the circumstances to them and have them communicate to the Customer Service Team, I’m sure things will be sorted out. I’m very happy that you availed yourself of the extended warranty. That was very smart of you. This makes your situation much easier to address by everyone involved. Please let me know if your conversation is not I favorable describe. Thank you for being clear and concise in your communications with us.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I've been in this business for 35 years, and I've always loved Starkey. They're innovative. I have a lot of connections with them, and they will always bend over backwards to help you do the best fit. And if your hearing aid is just barely out of warranty and something goes wrong with it, a lot of times, they'll do a courtesy repair, and other companies don't do that. I'm an audiologist, so I fit hearing aids, and I recommend Starkey to my patients all the time. They are a leader in the industry. And right now, with the Livio product and with the AI intelligence, they are moving forward into the 21st century.

Mr. Austin has always had a vision, and he came out with the first CIC, and that was a major boom to our industry because everybody wants the hearing aids not to show. And with this artificial intelligence that he's doing in making it healthable besides just helping you with your hearing is a big, big thing for the industry. He goes all over the world fitting people who can't afford hearing aids, and a little bit of every hearing aid that he sold goes to promote that program, and I have participated in that. It is just a wonderful thing to be able to give people the gift of hearing. They couldn't afford it and wouldn't have it any other way. He runs a program that if you can't afford the hearing aid, if you meet the qualifications, you fill out the application, and you get brand new hearing aids for $125 each. So for $250, you can get top-line technology if you qualify for this program, and lots of companies do that.

Their newest product have helped in making speech more intelligible particularly in background noise and have been rated very high in those situations. So I like that feature and how they help the person hear better. I have good relationships with all of my representatives. They're very helpful, and they'll bend over backwards and go that extra mile for you. They're a great company.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you, Beverly! We are so happy you chose Starkey!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 28, 2020

I have owned these aids for 4 years. From the very beginning I had issues with them, every time I answered my cell phone the aids would cut off making it very difficult to hear with my only good ear partly because the hearing aid was in my ear and second it would make sounds like it was trying to connect. For 2 years I tried to get STARKEY to correct this issue their response was there was nothing wrong with the aids, and that they had never heard of the issue I was having.

After 2 years they finally admitted that there was an issue with my aids and replaced one. This did not fix the issue it was still the same. They the tried to fix both of them but on return nothing had changed. They still had the same problem. This was extremely frustrating, first because I use the phone to talk with my clients, second because in order for me to talk on the phone I had to take the aid out of my ear so at least I could hear something all while driving. To this day I still do this at no time where the aids corrected it took them two years of complaining before they even recognized there might be a problem. I was finally told that it was my iPhone and there was nothing more they could do. I paid big dollars as you know for aids that have NEVER worked as they should.

Dear Mr. Kennard,

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. We’re sorry to hear about your frustrations and we will use your feedback to improve our products and service.

I wanted to share some thoughts that may help with your connectivity issues. a) You can do a simple test to figure out if the root cause is your phone by unpairing the hearing aids from your phone and pair it to another iPhone in your household. Then, test the results of the new connection. b) The other option is to change the microphone setting for streaming to mute. c) You can also create a new memory and use it as your streaming memory and not the default. d) Lastly, you can remove the TruLink App and test the hearing aids.

We acknowledge that none of these suggestions will erase the past. In the future, we welcome you to contact mobile support to see if we can help with connectivity issues you may have, so please contact us at 1-800-721-3573 or mobile_support@starkey.com.

Thank you!

Starkey

Original review: April 1, 2020

I have been using Starkey Halo 2 2400 for past one and half year, my pair has been replaced twice by the company due to technical fault as it was under warranty, no complaints about the quality of sound it offers. Again only few months back, as Mr ** from patiala has also discussed his review that receiver part broke. Same case happened with my device it detached where one part of receiver was inserted into the other, but the seller Simran Hearing Ludhiana said that company has charged Rs 3830 for repairing the product as it doesn’t cover under warranty though I told him it's not broken, it has detached from its own part. In the end I had to pay 3800 to get my unit repaired When starkey co knows that unit was not broken it was detached by itself why it charged for the service. I just want the explanation by the company, I also have bill of repair with me.

Original review: March 25, 2020

It's the little details that matter: my Starkey hearing aids actually stay in my ears. I don't have to constantly be vigilant. I had lost several sets of Phonak hearing aids -- they just fell out of my ears. In my opinion, sound is crisper with the Starkey product than with the Phonak hearing aids.

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for sharing your Starkey Hearing Aid experience with us!

Starkey

Original review: March 20, 2020

My very first RH unit was defective. Caused some communication issues with my audiologist. Have had them for 5 years, both units have been replace or repaired at least 5 times. I am told that they do not work well when used in the proscribed manner, ie behind the ear, well not when you sweat. Got impression they thought it was my fault that I sweat. Nice when they work but they are less than a quality product. Contacted Starkey and was told company does not address consumer issues, that I needed to go to the place I bought them. The place I bought them just shrugged and said sorry. When I asked for details of what was wrong and or what repairs was told this information not available. So to sum up $6,000 buys you units that might last a year if you are lucky. No concern for consumer, no attempt to address issues. I am looking for new hearings they will not be Starkey.

Hi, Mr. Konar,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m sorry to read that your Behind-The-Ear devices needed to come in for repair over the past five years. We pride ourselves on the quality of our products and repair service. We recommend a hearing device have a clear and check by a licensed professional every 3-5 months to help minimize the need for regular repair. If your hearing professional wasn’t offering this service, we are happy to help find a professional in your area that will be up to the challenge to make sure you are hearing your best.

A hearing aid is one of the few consumer devices that works 16-hour days every day in all kinds of weather. Moisture is hard on zinc-air batteries. There are some accessories that help dry out hearing aids at the end of the day, such as dry-aid kits – did your audiologist offer one to you? The best way to reduce the number of issues related to sweating is by using dry-aid kits and cleaning the batteries.

Please take care and be well.

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

Starkey Hearing Aids were my third set of aids and an upgrade to what I originally purchased several years before. Looking back, it is disappointing to me that I have never even met the audiologist at the clinic where I purchased my Starkey aids. A tech did the testing, fitting, and troubleshooting. While the tech was very congenial and making every attempt to improve the performance of my aids and phone app, the hearing aids have never come close to meeting my needs. The one aspect that has been effective is phone use, but even one on one conversation continues to be challenging and I am isolated in small group gatherings.

It is also disappointing that there is not more support available online. An audiologist outside of Houston has been very helpful and returned my aids to the production site on two occasions for revamping. Some improvement was noted, but it was not significant enough to improve communication. Something that has been frustrating, is that the app that is accessed on my Iphone, periodically changes without notice making it less than user friendly. I am currently considering reinvesting in new aids that provide a trial period before making a final purchase - something Starkey did not provide at the time of my original purchase.

Hi Theodore,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The Hearing Health Professional is essential for a successful hearing journey and we are sorry to hear about your current experience. Would you like us to reach out to your Hearing Health Professional to alert them to your current concerns? We do need the office to be part of the solution. We know the hearing professionals that work with Starkey products are always up to the challenge to make sure their patients are satisfied with the devices they fit.

Starkey Hearing Aids Company Information

1967
    6700 Washington Avenue S.
    Eden Prairie