Call toll free

Call toll free
Request appointment
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.36/5
Visit Website

Starkey Hearing Technologies is a privately held, global hearing technology company headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Founded in 1967, the company is recognized for its innovative design, development and distribution of comprehensive digital hearing systems. The company develops, manufactures and distributes hearing aids via three distinct brands – Audibel, NuEar and its original brand, Starkey. As the only American-owned and American-operated provider of hearing technologies, Starkey Hearing Technologies is proud to support veterans and active military service personnel with the best in American innovation, including a suite of revolutionary hearing technologies and other resources. Starkey Hearing Technologies currently employs more than 5,000 people, operates 24 facilities and conducts business in more than 100 markets worldwide.

Starkey Hearing Technologies Video
Starkey Hearing Technologies Gallery (6)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Starkey Hearing Technologies develops hearing aids under three brand names. Starkey manufactures 10 different styles of hearing aids for all levels of hearing loss.

PROS

• State-of-the-art technology
  • Thrive Hearing Control app
  • Styles for all levels of hearing loss

CONS

• Not always covered by insurance

How do Starkey Hearing aids work?

Start by visiting your local audiologist or hearing professional to find out if you’re a candidate for Starkey hearing aids. Your health care professional can help you pick the best style of hearing aid for your lifestyle and level of hearing loss.

Some of the most popular models of Starkey hearing aids include:

Receiver-in-canal
  • Multiple technologies available
In-the-ear
  • Easy adjustments
  • For mild/severe hearing loss

What features come with Starkey hearing aids?

Some of Starkey’s hearing aids come equipped with state-of-the-art technology that allows you to stream music and phone calls. These hearing aids also let you use the Thrive Hearing Control app to control hearing aid settings from your smartphone. This controls three main settings:

• Hearing Performance controls sound quality and clarity with speech enhancement features and noise control. It allows you to create presets for regular settings.
  • Healthable Technology keeps track of your steps, daily activities and social engagement. It comes equipped with a fall-detection feature and heart rate monitoring.
  • Information Assistance lets you ask the Thrive Assistant questions to troubleshoot issues. You can request remote adjustments to your hearing aids without needing to schedule an office visit, and the app can even transcribe conversations to your smartphone.

Starkey hearing aids require a four-month adjustment period. This process of reacclimating to certain noises can be strenuous on the brain, especially if your hearing has been declining for a while. Your Starkey hearing aids could require several adjustments, so the company recommends staying in contact with your hearing professional during this period.

How much do Starkey hearing aids cost?

The cost of Starkey hearing aids varies based on the model and features. Most hearing professionals offer hearing aid payment plans, so ask your local audiologist about payment options. You could qualify for free hearing aids or a discount through:

• Your union
  • Your employer
  • Veterans Affairs benefits
  • Your insurance provider/HMO
  • A local charity

You could be eligible for partial or full coverage through Medicare or Medicaid. While most Medicare plans don’t cover hearing aids, you might receive benefits if you’re Medicare Advantage plan member. Medicaid often covers hearing aids for adults and typically gives full funding for children’s hearing aids.

Are Starkey Hearing aids worth it?

Starkey hearing aids are customizable and come in a variety of options. With the ability to easily adjust your hearing aids through the Thrive Hearing Control app, they’re a great option for all levels of hearing loss. The company also creates a variety of styles to help fit every person's preference for appearance and comfort. If you struggle with hearing loss, Starkey hearing aids could be the right choice for you.

Starkey Hearing Aids Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

These hearing aids were chosen for me by the specialist at The Hearing Center in Rogers, AR. My hearing problem is not so much with volume but with clarity. Before hearing tests, I was missing too much of the conversations at family gatherings and the movies, and hearing weird things on my favorite TV shows. Shortly after I started wearing them, I realized how many sounds I forgot belonged to certain activities. Like the sound of water filling a glass and chicken or fish frying.

What really capped it for me was watching a movie for the second time (with hearing aids) and realizing how much of the dialogue I had missed the first time, especially how one character had responded to a sound which I hadn't heard. That explained a part of the story, which had earlier confused me. When I was in the supermarket, I was startled when the refrigeration in the frozen food aisle turned on. Also I was very pleased that I could turn to the app on my cell phone and change the setting to block out the screams of some misbehaving children. In a crowded restaurant that app enabled me to participate fully in the conversation with four of my family members. (I gave this product only four stars, because wearing the hearing aids is still not second nature to me and sometimes becomes bothersome to the skin of my ears. When that changes, I will change that rating.) A great investment toward being all that I am.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Margaret, Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for sharing your experience! Sincerely, Starkey

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I bought the hearing aid muse 2400 cic around 1 and half years ago with 4 years warranty from Anand hearing care pvtLtd patiala(punjab) (India). I am very much satisfied with the aid. This device helped me to feel the great way of life as it changed my life. But yesterday night when I was removing it from one of my ear I was surprised to see its part broke. I never expected that quality from such a reputed company. Moreover it's mentioned on warranty card that no damage covers in warranty. As it's not my fault that it got damaged. Kindly help me to get my aid replaced as I am facing problem without aid. Hope for quick resolution for my problem. My contact **.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Dear Mr. Jindal, We apologize for the quality flaw you have encountered. This is so embarrassing to us that your hearing aid would come apart. The Muse CIC is usually extremely reliable. You are working with a group of Professionals with a relationship with Starkey Hearing Technology in India. If you explain the circumstances to them and have them communicate to the Customer Service Team, I’m sure things will be sorted out. I’m very happy that you availed yourself of the extended warranty. That was very smart of you. This makes your situation much easier to address by everyone involved. Please let me know if your conversation is not I favorable describe. Thank you for being clear and concise in your communications with us.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I was down in Eden Prairie, Minneapolis in Sept 2019 to get my hearing aids and have the RIC, receiver in canal custom molded to both ears. I have 50% hearing loss. I found the staff at Starkey World Headquarters wonderful people including their CEO was awesome to me. Yes I've learned lots about hearing aids, and being a quad amputee I sweat a lot living in Panama City Beach, Florida. I've had a few issues with my hearing aids but Starkey always fixed repaired my problem.

My audiologist is terrific. I also bought a cleaning machine called Perfect Clean is made in France was $150.00. This machine has a cartridge good for 35 cycles, cleans the hearing aids, removes the wax, disinfects, and air dry with a uv-c lamp in 1 hr. My hearing aids are rechargeable. I clean my hearing aids every 3 days. Also my RIC make sure the tube connection is always snug so no moisture comes in a check your wax seals. Reading lot of reviews very little mentioned of a cleaning machine. Unit is on Amazon for 124.99/ a 2 yr warranty includes one cartridge. You can also buy a 3 pkg of cartridges. Maintaining hearing aids is important. Starkey has a 3 yrs warranty. When doing work in the yard or walk, ride the bike I don't wear my hearing aids. George

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you for your thoughtful words, George, we are so happy you chose to wear Starkey!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I've been in this business for 35 years, and I've always loved Starkey. They're innovative. I have a lot of connections with them, and they will always bend over backwards to help you do the best fit. And if your hearing aid is just barely out of warranty and something goes wrong with it, a lot of times, they'll do a courtesy repair, and other companies don't do that. I'm an audiologist, so I fit hearing aids, and I recommend Starkey to my patients all the time. They are a leader in the industry. And right now, with the Livio product and with the AI intelligence, they are moving forward into the 21st century.

Mr. Austin has always had a vision, and he came out with the first CIC, and that was a major boom to our industry because everybody wants the hearing aids not to show. And with this artificial intelligence that he's doing in making it healthable besides just helping you with your hearing is a big, big thing for the industry. He goes all over the world fitting people who can't afford hearing aids, and a little bit of every hearing aid that he sold goes to promote that program, and I have participated in that. It is just a wonderful thing to be able to give people the gift of hearing. They couldn't afford it and wouldn't have it any other way. He runs a program that if you can't afford the hearing aid, if you meet the qualifications, you fill out the application, and you get brand new hearing aids for $125 each. So for $250, you can get top-line technology if you qualify for this program, and lots of companies do that.

Their newest product have helped in making speech more intelligible particularly in background noise and have been rated very high in those situations. So I like that feature and how they help the person hear better. I have good relationships with all of my representatives. They're very helpful, and they'll bend over backwards and go that extra mile for you. They're a great company.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you, Beverly! We are so happy you chose Starkey!

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have a pair of Starkey Livio 2400 hearing aids. I was fitted for them at their Eden Prairie, MN facility about 5 months ago. I'd like to summarize my experience with them in case it helps anyone. About me: 60 years old. Tinnitus in addition to my hearing loss. Tired of not being able to follow conversations. I am audiophile who also records music. We are in a new house and just built a fully outfitted recording studio in our basement, and last year put in a high end, whole-house (and patio) sound system. New media room has reference level 7.2 system. Sound quality is -extremely- important to me. Also, my wife has a voice which is on the quiet side.

Pros: The most natural sound I have ever heard in a hearing aid. Selectable modes to screen out background noise, a forward biased mode for restaurant conversation and more. If the devices detect that you are moving faster than 10 MPH it can go into an automobile mode. IPhone connection... I hear my 'Waze' map giving me directions while driving. I can listen to podcasts, music, or take a phone call and only I can hear the audio.

Thrive App. Some of the most ingenious programming code has gone into this app. For example, the hearing aids can actually translate foreign languages and play the translations in my ears! They have "Fitbit" physical health information available, the number of steps I have taken for example. And also 'mental' health info such as a verbal engagement score. Cons: Batteries cost $ and only last a week. They are spendy hearing aids. But like my wife said, if I could hear her and others better, and with high sound quality, they are worth every penny. I have to say that I am still sometimes amazed when I am wearing these. Makes me feel like a new man.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Dave, We are happy to hear that you are pleased with your hearing aids and thank you for the wonderful review!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey Hearing Technologies?

Original review: March 25, 2020

It's the little details that matter: my Starkey hearing aids actually stay in my ears. I don't have to constantly be vigilant. I had lost several sets of Phonak hearing aids -- they just fell out of my ears. In my opinion, sound is crisper with the Starkey product than with the Phonak hearing aids.

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for sharing your Starkey Hearing Aid experience with us!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 20, 2020

My very first RH unit was defective. Caused some communication issues with my audiologist. Have had them for 5 years, both units have been replace or repaired at least 5 times. I am told that they do not work well when used in the proscribed manner, ie behind the ear, well not when you sweat. Got impression they thought it was my fault that I sweat. Nice when they work but they are less than a quality product. Contacted Starkey and was told company does not address consumer issues, that I needed to go to the place I bought them. The place I bought them just shrugged and said sorry. When I asked for details of what was wrong and or what repairs was told this information not available. So to sum up $6,000 buys you units that might last a year if you are lucky. No concern for consumer, no attempt to address issues. I am looking for new hearings they will not be Starkey.

Hi, Mr. Konar,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m sorry to read that your Behind-The-Ear devices needed to come in for repair over the past five years. We pride ourselves on the quality of our products and repair service. We recommend a hearing device have a clear and check by a licensed professional every 3-5 months to help minimize the need for regular repair. If your hearing professional wasn’t offering this service, we are happy to help find a professional in your area that will be up to the challenge to make sure you are hearing your best.

A hearing aid is one of the few consumer devices that works 16-hour days every day in all kinds of weather. Moisture is hard on zinc-air batteries. There are some accessories that help dry out hearing aids at the end of the day, such as dry-aid kits – did your audiologist offer one to you? The best way to reduce the number of issues related to sweating is by using dry-aid kits and cleaning the batteries.

Please take care and be well.

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

Starkey Hearing Aids were my third set of aids and an upgrade to what I originally purchased several years before. Looking back, it is disappointing to me that I have never even met the audiologist at the clinic where I purchased my Starkey aids. A tech did the testing, fitting, and troubleshooting. While the tech was very congenial and making every attempt to improve the performance of my aids and phone app, the hearing aids have never come close to meeting my needs. The one aspect that has been effective is phone use, but even one on one conversation continues to be challenging and I am isolated in small group gatherings.

It is also disappointing that there is not more support available online. An audiologist outside of Houston has been very helpful and returned my aids to the production site on two occasions for revamping. Some improvement was noted, but it was not significant enough to improve communication. Something that has been frustrating, is that the app that is accessed on my Iphone, periodically changes without notice making it less than user friendly. I am currently considering reinvesting in new aids that provide a trial period before making a final purchase - something Starkey did not provide at the time of my original purchase.

Hi Theodore,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The Hearing Health Professional is essential for a successful hearing journey and we are sorry to hear about your current experience. Would you like us to reach out to your Hearing Health Professional to alert them to your current concerns? We do need the office to be part of the solution. We know the hearing professionals that work with Starkey products are always up to the challenge to make sure their patients are satisfied with the devices they fit.

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

My mom who is 85 applied for your hearing aid program. She was denied as not qualifying due to income. Her income was way below the requirements; however, I sent her money for the Starkey Foundation Application fee and they count that as income. They counted her selling off her clothes as income on eBay even though she is selling at a loss just to eat. She was diagnosed with cancer and wanted just to hear in her final years. What a disgrace. I am disabled and wish I could find her and pay for hearing aids from a company that truly cares. This company does not. I posted my message on Facebook and they never responded. In fact, they hid the comments and then removed my ability to post on facebook. A company like this is not one that people should want to do business with. The Foundation is part of the company.

Dear Mr. Cohen,

We can understand your disappointment with the decision not to provide your mother with hearing aids at no charge. The Hear Now Foundation is a wonderful organization that is flooded with requests from all over the country. If you feel your mother’s evaluation was not fair, we encourage you to discuss it with a representative so you can have a clear understanding of their definition of financial qualification. In the meantime, there are some other options to consider that may help fund this need such as: The Lion’s Club, places of worship, and the Sertoma Club. Also, the American Hearing Benefits program provides discounts on hearing aids: www.americanhearingbenefits.com

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Have had my Audibel hearing aids now for about 5 years. The first provider gave poor service and never schooled me on care of the products nor how it worked. Never could get them adjusted correctly. Since I moved, found a new audiologist who has the computer program to adjust my hearing aids and provides better service and instruction. But each visit is a cost. Still the hearing aids are only good in direct conversation with one or two people. Background noise in a crowd or at a family gathering drowns out conversation. I still have to use a family member as interpreter. At home I have to take the hearing aids out to listen to tv. Sound is very distorted with them on. Have another appt with audiologist soon, but don't expect much. May have to find another brand of aid. These I have cost me $7200, and I feel they never met my expectations and were a poor investment.

Dear Joanne,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The Hearing Health Professional is essential for a successful hearing journey. We are sorry to hear about your experience, and we are happy you have found a provider that is granting the service you are looking for to improve the performance of the hearing aids. We have many Audiologists a phone call away that are committed to making sure you are knowledgeable and satisfied with your devices, if your current Audiologist wishes to consult with one of ours. They might be able to offer suggestions to help with the environments you describe.

Starkey Hearing Aids Company Information

Starkey Hearing Technologies
    1967
    6700 Washington Avenue S.
    Eden Prairie