3.9/5 (288 ratings)

About Starkey Hearing Aids

Starkey is a privately held, global hearing technology company headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Founded by Bill Austin in 1967, Starkey is known for its innovative design, development and distribution of comprehensive digital hearing systems. Led today by President and CEO Brandon Sawalich, Starkey is the only American-owned provider of hearing technologies. The company has more than 5,000 employees, operates 29 facilities and does business in more than 100 markets worldwide.

Pros

• State-of-the-art technology
  • Thrive Hearing Control app
  • Styles for all levels of hearing loss

Cons

• Not always covered by insurance

Bottom Line

Starkey Hearing Technologies develops hearing aids under three brand names. Starkey manufactures 10 different styles of hearing aids for all levels of hearing loss.

Starkey hearing aids

How do Starkey Hearing aids work?

Start by visiting your local audiologist or hearing professional to find out if you’re a candidate for Starkey hearing aids. Your health care professional can help you pick the best style of hearing aid for your lifestyle and level of hearing loss.

Some of the most popular models of Starkey hearing aids include:

Receiver-in-canal
  • Multiple technologies available
In-the-ear
  • Easy adjustments
  • For mild/severe hearing loss

What features come with Starkey hearing aids?

Some of Starkey’s hearing aids come equipped with state-of-the-art technology that allows you to stream music and phone calls. These hearing aids also let you use the Thrive Hearing Control app to control hearing aid settings from your smartphone. This controls three main settings:

• Hearing Performance controls sound quality and clarity with speech enhancement features and noise control. It allows you to create presets for regular settings.
  • Healthable Technology keeps track of your steps, daily activities and social engagement. It comes equipped with a fall-detection feature and heart rate monitoring.
  • Information Assistance lets you ask the Thrive Assistant questions to troubleshoot issues. You can request remote adjustments to your hearing aids without needing to schedule an office visit, and the app can even transcribe conversations to your smartphone.

Starkey hearing aids require a four-month adjustment period. This process of reacclimating to certain noises can be strenuous on the brain, especially if your hearing has been declining for a while. Your Starkey hearing aids could require several adjustments, so the company recommends staying in contact with your hearing professional during this period.

How much do Starkey hearing aids cost?

The cost of Starkey hearing aids varies based on the model and features. Most hearing professionals offer hearing aid payment plans, so ask your local audiologist about payment options. You could qualify for free hearing aids or a discount through:

• Your union
  • Your employer
  • Veterans Affairs benefits
  • Your insurance provider/HMO
  • A local charity

You could be eligible for partial or full coverage through Medicare or Medicaid. While most Medicare plans don’t cover hearing aids, you might receive benefits if you’re Medicare Advantage plan member. Medicaid often covers hearing aids for adults and typically gives full funding for children’s hearing aids.

Are Starkey Hearing aids worth it?

Starkey hearing aids are customizable and come in a variety of options. With the ability to easily adjust your hearing aids through the Thrive Hearing Control app, they’re a great option for all levels of hearing loss. The company also creates a variety of styles to help fit every person's preference for appearance and comfort. If you struggle with hearing loss, Starkey hearing aids could be the right choice for you.

Starkey Hearing Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey Hearing Aids?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

My mother-in-law loves her Starkey. It's the best one she's ever had, she said. She likes the reminder. It lets her know when the battery's low. They give her free hearing aid batteries occasionally when she goes in for her adjustments. They have been awesome and super nice. We walked in up there and it was a ray of sunshine really with them and it made my mother-in-law feel comfortable. When she walks in there and they have to take her hearing aid out, she can't hear a lick. So, they put her at ease before they take her hearing aid off to do the cleaning because, if she wasn't at ease, she would be hesitant about taking it off. They also get us in and out of there in no time when we go. She's very well pleased with Starkey.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

We're pleased to read that your mother-in-law has had positive experiences with both her hearing aids and her hearing professionals. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words with us.

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Starkey had a girl named Julia, and she was like a superstar. It was good dealing with her, but she's gone. They need to hunt her down and get her back ‘cause she can do anything. She’d go back there and get on the computer and reset my hearing aids. She wasn’t certified, but she knew how to do it. For two years, she got my hearing aids running a lot of times. They would quit, and she'd get them to working. She was real nice, and she stayed on top of my appointments. She would call me if I missed an appointment too.

There's a new girl now, and she's okay, but I don't know her. I went back to visit a few days ago, Monday. One of my hearing aids quit working, and I just took them in. The girl tried to fix it, but she couldn’t, so she said she's going to send them back to the factory. She said my warranty was good till September, and it was gonna take a week.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Mark. We look forward to continue providing you with stellar service!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I had been having a little problem with hearing, so I went down there in the hearing center in Decatur. Starkey gave me the hearing aid test. And that's where they set up that. I bought the hearing aids that they offered me, and paid for them. I’ve been using them. One of them went out and Starkey sent it back into the factory and had it rebuilt. I go four times a year, whenever they set up an appointment. They check the hearing aids out, recalibrate them if they need it, and clean them. It doesn't cost me anything and it's 15 minutes’ worth of my time. And I’m back home with them and going on about my business.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that your hearing aids are working well for you and your experience with Starkey has been great.

Original review: July 6, 2022

Starkey's devices don't sound mechanical compared to the other ones I tried. I also liked the feedback that their audiologist has given me and I liked her personality. So far, I have been pretty content with the quality of my hearing aids except my device will not stay charged for 24 hours. About 12 hours is all I'm getting out of them now, then they start telling me battery low and they'll go dead. But I’m going to try to get back over their office this week and see what we can do about it. The first pair I had, you had to put batteries in them and I didn't have any issues. This time, I got the rechargeable ones and the batteries aren't lasting like they should.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

We're so happy to read that your hearing aids are sounding clear and natural. We recommend connecting with your hearing professional around the battery life - a review and change of settings may help increase your battery life.

Original review: June 22, 2022

They answer my questions if I have any. But lately, I had put my hearing aids up on 100 and able to hear stuff. I have one ear that drains, and I don't hear good out of it. I told them the last time I was in their office that I didn't know what was going on. The hearing aids don't work as good as they should. I also wish it was more affordable. But I like that I can send the hearing aids through my cell phone. I got the app that I can turn it up and down with my cell phone. With the old hearing aids, you had to put batteries in them. But these new ones, they got a charging station and I like that.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

We appreciate this update. We recommend connecting with your hearing professional to see if your hearing aids might be in need of additional adjustments. If you have any questions about the technical issues that you are experiencing, please connect with our Technical Support team at (866) 637-9243.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

The Starkey hearing aids are a whole lot better than the ones I had. Also, their rep is as sweet as she can be. When she waits on me, she doesn't give me any static about it.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thanks for sharing your kind words. We're happy to read that you're noticing a difference with your new hearing aids.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I’m pretty well dissatisfied with Starkey. One thing is the battery doesn't last long. Another thing is, I can hardly hear anything through my right one. As far as the people where I got it, they were top-notch.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thanks for letting us know what has been going on. We recommend reconnecting with your hearing professional about the issues you have been having. There are adjustments, updates, and other options available that may improve things for you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

When I went in, I talked to a lady and she was very nice and knowledgeable about the questions I asked. She answered them and she didn't try to push any particular hearing aid on me. She just told me what they're qualified for and what might and might not help me. Then we started in on the products and I liked that because she gave me a chance to ask the kind of questions that I wanted to ask about my hearing before she tried to sell me something. Also, they had some kind of little promotional sale going on and she told me about that when I decided that I was going to get the hearing aids. I've already recommended several people to her.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

We're so glad that you had a pleasant experience. Thanks for sharing!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I have been using Starkey edge 2400 for 2 years. We sent them back to fix many times but they couldn’t. There is no balance between two hearing aids. Stream boost damaged my ear during the time. The app doesn’t work with Samsung very well. iPhone is the only the option and l got it. It is better but not perfect. Now l am paying more to fix my ear because of they listed the Samsung. My audiologist, they are good people and helpful but stay away from starkey if you don’t want to damage your ear. Go buy Phonax or something else.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our Customer Service team will attempt to contact your hearing professional over the phone to get a better understanding of the situation and discuss any next steps that may be available to you.

Generally speaking, most hearing professionals will set limits in place that will not allow the hearing aids to produce sounds at a level that can cause further hearing loss.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I'm very satisfied with Starkey Hearing Aids. They work well. It was also excellent working with them. The rep was very knowledgeable of the products and was able to hook my needs with the products. She also didn't try to oversell me.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

We're so happy that you've been paired with the perfect hearing professional and the perfect technology. Thanks for leaving a review.

Starkey Hearing Aids Company Information

Starkey
    1967
    6700 Washington Avenue S.
    Eden Prairie