Starkey Hearing Aids
2.00/5

Need a good hearing aid?

Starkey Hearing Aids

Starkey Hearing Technologies is a privately held, global hearing technology company headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Founded in 1967, the company is recognized for its innovative design, development and distribution of comprehensive digital hearing systems. The company develops, manufactures and distributes hearing aids via three distinct brands – Audibel, NuEar and its original brand, Starkey. As the only American-owned and American-operated provider of hearing technologies, Starkey Hearing Technologies is proud to support veterans and active military service personnel with the best in American innovation, including a suite of revolutionary hearing technologies and other resources. Starkey Hearing Technologies currently employs more than 5,000 people, operates 24 facilities and conducts business in more than 100 markets worldwide.

Need a good hearing aid?

67 Starkey Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2019

I purchased my first set of hearing aids (Audible Via 1600) and love them. I have had some issues with the signal being dropped between the hearing aids and my iPhone X which I am starting to see may be due to some of the settings on my phone. While the information is out there on the web, one suggestion I would make is to have more educational information readily available to patients when they purchase the hearing aids. Information regarding IOS settings and/or Android settings and what they mean and/or are used for would have made set up easier and troubleshooting more rapid. Just some of my thoughts. I am still very happy with them and would recommend them to others.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Shelly, Thank you for the wonderful review!

Original review: May 1, 2019

In India the all premium hearing aids costs INR 5-7L for a pair but Starkey gives it at 1.3L rupees. Quality is not bad and it comes with 4 years warranty. My 4 years experience with them is good as in 7 working days the products gets repaired without hassles. Presently using Halo iQ 2400 RIC. Currently it’s best product at that price and good services. I am using hearing aids from 1992 to days for both ears. This product has given great results.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Radhakrishna, We are incredibly grateful that you took the time to leave us this note!

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have a pair of Starkey Livio 2400 hearing aids. I was fitted for them at their Eden Prairie, MN facility about 5 months ago. I'd like to summarize my experience with them in case it helps anyone. About me: 60 years old. Tinnitus in addition to my hearing loss. Tired of not being able to follow conversations. I am audiophile who also records music. We are in a new house and just built a fully outfitted recording studio in our basement, and last year put in a high end, whole-house (and patio) sound system. New media room has reference level 7.2 system. Sound quality is -extremely- important to me. Also, my wife has a voice which is on the quiet side.

Pros: The most natural sound I have ever heard in a hearing aid. Selectable modes to screen out background noise, a forward biased mode for restaurant conversation and more. If the devices detect that you are moving faster than 10 MPH it can go into an automobile mode. IPhone connection... I hear my 'Waze' map giving me directions while driving. I can listen to podcasts, music, or take a phone call and only I can hear the audio.

Thrive App. Some of the most ingenious programming code has gone into this app. For example, the hearing aids can actually translate foreign languages and play the translations in my ears! They have "Fitbit" physical health information available, the number of steps I have taken for example. And also 'mental' health info such as a verbal engagement score. Cons: Batteries cost $ and only last a week. They are spendy hearing aids. But like my wife said, if I could hear her and others better, and with high sound quality, they are worth every penny. I have to say that I am still sometimes amazed when I am wearing these. Makes me feel like a new man.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Dave, We are happy to hear that you are pleased with your hearing aids and thank you for the wonderful review!

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have worn Starkey hearing aids for almost 20 years. They are GREAT! For people who say they are getting popping and straight it is because they are not adjusted right or the mold is not fitting right. You need to go to a good provider who will work with you until they are right. You have to make sure you have a good fit. If so then no popping or straight. Also you need a good provider to make sure they are adjusted right. If someone is having trouble with them than they need to keep going back until it is corrected.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Molly, thank you for taking the time out of your day to write such a nice review!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have been wearing hearing aids for almost 20 years. For the last three, I've been wearing a pair of Z series standard BTEs and I love them. They have been the best HAs I've ever worn for comfort, sound quality and performance. I'm so pleased that I'll be getting another pair when I'm eligible next month. I have moderately severe hearing loss and tinnitus. I have no problem hearing now wherever I go, no matter what the listening environment is. I highly recommend them!

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are so glad that you are enjoying your devices.

Sincerely,

Starkey Hearing Technologie

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey Hearing Technologies?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I bought the Starkey in-ear hearing aids more than a year ago, and paid a premium price -- $3,000. They have never worked properly despite many re-visits to the technician. I have worn various kinds for 15 years and never encountered the problems I have with these. With such a huge expense, I must continue with these inferior products. Would not recommend.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I got hearing aids Jan 2017. They constantly do not turn on or stop amplifying. I have had them fixed under warranty about 10x now. Every time they come back with 'components replaced' and then work for a while. Most recently that was less than 2 weeks until they suddenly stopped working again. Warranty is soon expiring and I feel that I paid $5000 for something that is very unreliable and leaves me without hearing aids often. Starkey should not sell hearing aids if they cannot produce better ones. They ought to extend the warranty until I get 36 months of functional hearing aids, but that is not how it works. I am very disappointed with the quality and service of Starkey.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I am a vet, and I got my Livios from the Canadaguia NY VA. The audiologist said that these were the latest in technology, and that the THRIVE app would be great. It was mediocre, at best. I could not hear using the TV streaming device properly, so I had to take it back to the VA. For a while, the pairing lasted a long time, and now, regardless of where I am in my home even sitting in front, watching Netflix, it cuts out about 45 minutes of use. If I am listening to music and doing house cleaning, etc on the second floor, I have to go downstairs, and reset the darn thing. I contacted their service department, and the guy I spoke to said, "I never heard of that happening." and advised me to go back to the VA and return it to Starkey. I will.

HOWEVER the most annoying thing is the fact that the device ONLY pairs with Apple's I phones, and not Android phones. And of course, it is not mentioned in the booklet for Thrive, or the hearing aid. THAT IS A MAJOR OMISSION, and perhaps it may be considered lying or deception because the sales reps "accidentally forget" to state that to the prescribing Audiologists. Far from being the "newest technology" such as was told to me (probably repeated from what the sales rep stated to the Audiologist), I found the technology severely lacking in both the Thrive app, and in the fact that I could not pair my Samsung mobile phone to it.

My pet peeve was that I had a very nasty phone call from someone unpleasant. This person was out of control, and yelling. Because I needed to use the speaker function to hear properly, that unpleasant person shared her dysfunction with everyone else in the room. It was quite embarrassing. And to think it was caused because the software engineers did not include anything with which to pair an Android phone. Far from being "state of the art" I found the experience no better than my 5 years-old Phonak hearing aids.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Updated on 09/05/2019: It's now 9/5/19 and I just received my repaired unit. No replacement this time. Starkey says the microphones were replaced. That means the mics lasted little more than 3 months. WARRANTY NOT EXTENDED despite this being the 3rd unit in 26 months. This hearing aid does not live in a hostile environment, 90 percent of the time it's in a temp/humidity controlled residence. Volume is usually set to low. Very disappointing experience overall.

Original Review: Purchased a Z I30 in 7/17. Unit was troublesome from month 1, finally totally failed in 3/19. Provider Hearing Care Solutions provided a replacement under warranty in 4/19. That unit has now failed within 3 months with the same symptoms as the original unit and has been sent in for another replacement. Replacement units do extend the original 36 month warranty BUT SHOULD since these units have a failure rate off the charts. Have had hearing loss for 20 years and this is my third set of aids in that time span. Never had less than 5 years of trouble free use with previous purchases. Can't even get 2 years from the Starkey.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I purchased Nuear hearing aids for $6,500. After multiple adjustments by my hearing professional, I am still very limited in my ability to hear. I am unable to do business over the phone and still have difficulty hearing others. As a teacher, it is a real struggle to converse with my students. They have to repeat themselves and speak a few inches from my ear. Trying to hear with these aids has been such a struggle. It's straining, stressful and exhausting. As a result, I find myself at home alone much of the time. That is very depressing. Now I'm stuck with a $6,500 debt for a product that is largely useless to me.

Starkey Hearing Technologies expert review by Shelley Webb

Founded in 1967, Starkey Hearing Technologies is an American-owned company that partners with customers, manufacturers and facilities around the world to provide innovative hearing solutions for consumers. Starkey believes every person has the right to hear the world around them, which is why they make a donation to the Starkey Hearing Foundation with every purchase made. To date, they have helped donate over 1 million hearing aids globally.

• Innovation: Starkey Hearing Technologies is at the forefront of advanced technology and innovation, including being the first company to introduce nanotechnology to hearing aids. They offer in-the-canal, in-the-ear, behind-the-ear aids and more.

• American-made: Starkey is the only American-owned and operated hearing aid innovator and manufacturer. Its products are available from hearing professionals around the United States and in several other countries around the world.

• Customized: Starkey Hearing Technologies hearing aids are customized not only to your ear shape but to your lifestyle, with options ranging from wireless to waterproof to nearly invisible.

• Evidence-based design: Starkey Hearing Technologies only makes changes and advances to their technology when they have evidence that it will actually improve the quality of hearing. While they focus on innovation, they do not subscribe to a “technology for technology’s sake” business model.

• Patient-focused: In addition to giving individual customers what they need in the moment, Starkey Hearing Technologies also listens to what their patients want from their hearing aids in the future. They respond to patient demands with improved sound quality, simpler controls and more discreet hearing aids.

• Best for: people with acquired or progressive hearing loss, aging listeners and those with active lifestyles.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
      Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Starkey Hearing Aids Company Information

Starkey Hearing Technologies
      1967
      6700 Washington Avenue S.
      Eden Prairie