Call toll free

Call toll free
Request appointment
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.51/5
Visit Website

Starkey Hearing Technologies is a privately held, global hearing technology company headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Founded in 1967, the company is recognized for its innovative design, development and distribution of comprehensive digital hearing systems. The company develops, manufactures and distributes hearing aids via three distinct brands – Audibel, NuEar and its original brand, Starkey. As the only American-owned and American-operated provider of hearing technologies, Starkey Hearing Technologies is proud to support veterans and active military service personnel with the best in American innovation, including a suite of revolutionary hearing technologies and other resources. Starkey Hearing Technologies currently employs more than 5,000 people, operates 24 facilities and conducts business in more than 100 markets worldwide.

Starkey Hearing Technologies Video
Starkey Hearing Technologies Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Starkey Hearing Technologies develops hearing aids under three brand names. Starkey manufactures 10 different styles of hearing aids for all levels of hearing loss.

PROS

• State-of-the-art technology
  • Thrive Hearing Control app
  • Styles for all levels of hearing loss

CONS

• Not always covered by insurance

How do Starkey Hearing aids work?

Start by visiting your local audiologist or hearing professional to find out if you’re a candidate for Starkey hearing aids. Your health care professional can help you pick the best style of hearing aid for your lifestyle and level of hearing loss.

Some of the most popular models of Starkey hearing aids include:

Receiver-in-canal
  • Multiple technologies available
In-the-ear
  • Easy adjustments
  • For mild/severe hearing loss

What features come with Starkey hearing aids?

Some of Starkey’s hearing aids come equipped with state-of-the-art technology that allows you to stream music and phone calls. These hearing aids also let you use the Thrive Hearing Control app to control hearing aid settings from your smartphone. This controls three main settings:

• Hearing Performance controls sound quality and clarity with speech enhancement features and noise control. It allows you to create presets for regular settings.
  • Healthable Technology keeps track of your steps, daily activities and social engagement. It comes equipped with a fall-detection feature and heart rate monitoring.
  • Information Assistance lets you ask the Thrive Assistant questions to troubleshoot issues. You can request remote adjustments to your hearing aids without needing to schedule an office visit, and the app can even transcribe conversations to your smartphone.

Starkey hearing aids require a four-month adjustment period. This process of reacclimating to certain noises can be strenuous on the brain, especially if your hearing has been declining for a while. Your Starkey hearing aids could require several adjustments, so the company recommends staying in contact with your hearing professional during this period.

How much do Starkey hearing aids cost?

The cost of Starkey hearing aids varies based on the model and features. Most hearing professionals offer hearing aid payment plans, so ask your local audiologist about payment options. You could qualify for free hearing aids or a discount through:

• Your union
  • Your employer
  • Veterans Affairs benefits
  • Your insurance provider/HMO
  • A local charity

You could be eligible for partial or full coverage through Medicare or Medicaid. While most Medicare plans don’t cover hearing aids, you might receive benefits if you’re Medicare Advantage plan member. Medicaid often covers hearing aids for adults and typically gives full funding for children’s hearing aids.

Are Starkey Hearing aids worth it?

Starkey hearing aids are customizable and come in a variety of options. With the ability to easily adjust your hearing aids through the Thrive Hearing Control app, they’re a great option for all levels of hearing loss. The company also creates a variety of styles to help fit every person's preference for appearance and comfort. If you struggle with hearing loss, Starkey hearing aids could be the right choice for you.

Starkey Hearing Aids Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

These hearing aids were chosen for me by the specialist at The Hearing Center in Rogers, AR. My hearing problem is not so much with volume but with clarity. Before hearing tests, I was missing too much of the conversations at family gatherings and the movies, and hearing weird things on my favorite TV shows. Shortly after I started wearing them, I realized how many sounds I forgot belonged to certain activities. Like the sound of water filling a glass and chicken or fish frying.

What really capped it for me was watching a movie for the second time (with hearing aids) and realizing how much of the dialogue I had missed the first time, especially how one character had responded to a sound which I hadn't heard. That explained a part of the story, which had earlier confused me. When I was in the supermarket, I was startled when the refrigeration in the frozen food aisle turned on. Also I was very pleased that I could turn to the app on my cell phone and change the setting to block out the screams of some misbehaving children. In a crowded restaurant that app enabled me to participate fully in the conversation with four of my family members. (I gave this product only four stars, because wearing the hearing aids is still not second nature to me and sometimes becomes bothersome to the skin of my ears. When that changes, I will change that rating.) A great investment toward being all that I am.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Margaret, Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for sharing your experience! Sincerely, Starkey

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I bought the hearing aid muse 2400 cic around 1 and half years ago with 4 years warranty from Anand hearing care pvtLtd patiala(punjab) (India). I am very much satisfied with the aid. This device helped me to feel the great way of life as it changed my life. But yesterday night when I was removing it from one of my ear I was surprised to see its part broke. I never expected that quality from such a reputed company. Moreover it's mentioned on warranty card that no damage covers in warranty. As it's not my fault that it got damaged. Kindly help me to get my aid replaced as I am facing problem without aid. Hope for quick resolution for my problem. My contact **.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Dear Mr. Jindal, We apologize for the quality flaw you have encountered. This is so embarrassing to us that your hearing aid would come apart. The Muse CIC is usually extremely reliable. You are working with a group of Professionals with a relationship with Starkey Hearing Technology in India. If you explain the circumstances to them and have them communicate to the Customer Service Team, I’m sure things will be sorted out. I’m very happy that you availed yourself of the extended warranty. That was very smart of you. This makes your situation much easier to address by everyone involved. Please let me know if your conversation is not I favorable describe. Thank you for being clear and concise in your communications with us.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I was down in Eden Prairie, Minneapolis in Sept 2019 to get my hearing aids and have the RIC, receiver in canal custom molded to both ears. I have 50% hearing loss. I found the staff at Starkey World Headquarters wonderful people including their CEO was awesome to me. Yes I've learned lots about hearing aids, and being a quad amputee I sweat a lot living in Panama City Beach, Florida. I've had a few issues with my hearing aids but Starkey always fixed repaired my problem.

My audiologist is terrific. I also bought a cleaning machine called Perfect Clean is made in France was $150.00. This machine has a cartridge good for 35 cycles, cleans the hearing aids, removes the wax, disinfects, and air dry with a uv-c lamp in 1 hr. My hearing aids are rechargeable. I clean my hearing aids every 3 days. Also my RIC make sure the tube connection is always snug so no moisture comes in a check your wax seals. Reading lot of reviews very little mentioned of a cleaning machine. Unit is on Amazon for 124.99/ a 2 yr warranty includes one cartridge. You can also buy a 3 pkg of cartridges. Maintaining hearing aids is important. Starkey has a 3 yrs warranty. When doing work in the yard or walk, ride the bike I don't wear my hearing aids. George

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you for your thoughtful words, George, we are so happy you chose to wear Starkey!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I've been in this business for 35 years, and I've always loved Starkey. They're innovative. I have a lot of connections with them, and they will always bend over backwards to help you do the best fit. And if your hearing aid is just barely out of warranty and something goes wrong with it, a lot of times, they'll do a courtesy repair, and other companies don't do that. I'm an audiologist, so I fit hearing aids, and I recommend Starkey to my patients all the time. They are a leader in the industry. And right now, with the Livio product and with the AI intelligence, they are moving forward into the 21st century.

Mr. Austin has always had a vision, and he came out with the first CIC, and that was a major boom to our industry because everybody wants the hearing aids not to show. And with this artificial intelligence that he's doing in making it healthable besides just helping you with your hearing is a big, big thing for the industry. He goes all over the world fitting people who can't afford hearing aids, and a little bit of every hearing aid that he sold goes to promote that program, and I have participated in that. It is just a wonderful thing to be able to give people the gift of hearing. They couldn't afford it and wouldn't have it any other way. He runs a program that if you can't afford the hearing aid, if you meet the qualifications, you fill out the application, and you get brand new hearing aids for $125 each. So for $250, you can get top-line technology if you qualify for this program, and lots of companies do that.

Their newest product have helped in making speech more intelligible particularly in background noise and have been rated very high in those situations. So I like that feature and how they help the person hear better. I have good relationships with all of my representatives. They're very helpful, and they'll bend over backwards and go that extra mile for you. They're a great company.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you, Beverly! We are so happy you chose Starkey!

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have a pair of Starkey Livio 2400 hearing aids. I was fitted for them at their Eden Prairie, MN facility about 5 months ago. I'd like to summarize my experience with them in case it helps anyone. About me: 60 years old. Tinnitus in addition to my hearing loss. Tired of not being able to follow conversations. I am audiophile who also records music. We are in a new house and just built a fully outfitted recording studio in our basement, and last year put in a high end, whole-house (and patio) sound system. New media room has reference level 7.2 system. Sound quality is -extremely- important to me. Also, my wife has a voice which is on the quiet side.

Pros: The most natural sound I have ever heard in a hearing aid. Selectable modes to screen out background noise, a forward biased mode for restaurant conversation and more. If the devices detect that you are moving faster than 10 MPH it can go into an automobile mode. IPhone connection... I hear my 'Waze' map giving me directions while driving. I can listen to podcasts, music, or take a phone call and only I can hear the audio.

Thrive App. Some of the most ingenious programming code has gone into this app. For example, the hearing aids can actually translate foreign languages and play the translations in my ears! They have "Fitbit" physical health information available, the number of steps I have taken for example. And also 'mental' health info such as a verbal engagement score. Cons: Batteries cost $ and only last a week. They are spendy hearing aids. But like my wife said, if I could hear her and others better, and with high sound quality, they are worth every penny. I have to say that I am still sometimes amazed when I am wearing these. Makes me feel like a new man.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Dave, We are happy to hear that you are pleased with your hearing aids and thank you for the wonderful review!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey Hearing Technologies?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I fell downstairs and have nerve damage to my left ear. The Starkey hearing aid lasts all day on 1 charge and keeps me from having to turn my head to hear someone to my left side. I really appreciate having really good sound in my left ear. Since I don't have both ears, the app really doesn't help me. But I'll get one for the right ear in maybe 20 years!

Hi Laryssa,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us - we are happy to hear you are pleased with the sound and clarity of the Livio AI hearing aids!

Starkey

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Livio 2400 AI features. I wanted the best technology that I could afford and situational sound wise these deliver extremely well. I am hearing sounds and clarity that I haven't had in a very long time. My old hearing aids (ITE) were good but 9 years old technology wise and were weary some by the end of the day, so I wore them sparingly. The Livios I enjoy all day long. My one big complaint is that my LGL163BL smartphone will not stay linked to the Livios. I cannot use the AI features that I paid for at all. The LG phone only has the Thrive Beta version. Please correct this situation ASAP.

Hi Michael,

We are happy to hear you are pleased with the sound and clarity of the Livio AI hearing aids! Also, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and for your patience as we resolve the compatibility issues you have been experiencing.

We'd like to see if we can help with the problem you are having, so please contact us at mobile_support@starkey.com or continue to work with your hearing professional as they will be updated with any new information as it becomes available.

Comments and concerns shared by Starkey users are fantastic feedback to allow us to keep delivering products that meet the needs of users such as yourself and we thank you for that.

Starkey

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

My problem was that I had other hearing aids that suited my needs better. These are my third set of aids. My first set had no problems but were big and bulky. My second were great for four years then corrosion. Replaced by Starkey Muse IQ 1200 which I had my ears cleaned and checked. No wax. Did the test on my ears. Had them adjusted to suit the graphs. One would think this was perfect. Not so. My adjustments went on and on. So I then made a appointment at another Starkey service to see how great these hearing aids were. To my surprise they were as good as anyone could adjust to perfect. My conclusion is that Starkey does not suit all. My other aids were much clearer with no muffle or distortion.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Brian, Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to driving the best product performance and quality in our hearing aids. Each user is unique in regards to their hearing loss. We encourage you to keep working with your hearing professional, who is best suited to help assist you on your hearing journey. We know our Starkey hearing professionals are some of the best in the business and will welcome the challenge to help you not only hear better but live better. Sincerely, Starkey

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I was so excited to get my new Starkey hearing aids that would transmit my mobile phone calls directly to my hearing aids, and that I could adjust to my surroundings easily with my mobile phone app. A little over a year later, they are a daily nuisance. Only the right hearing aid picks up the phone sound, I have to do a hard shut down on my phone to restore the setting. When I want to adjust to accommodate different settings (normal/crowd/car, etc) my phone app can't find my left hearing aid until I do a hard shut down then restart. This is a daily annoyance! I have deleted and reinstalled the app several times. My audiologist sent the hearing aids back to the factory for readjustment or whatever they claim to do, and I received them yesterday. Today, I am exactly where I was before. Think long and hard before you shell out thousands of dollars for this brand.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Hi Mildred, thank you for sharing your feedback on the Thrive Hearing Control app. Our Technical Support team recommends you close the Thrive Hearing Control app at night and open it anew each morning. The release of iOS 13 requires each app to get permission to use Bluetooth, so please make sure you’ve received the notification and accepted the connection. The Thrive Hearing Control app also has a feedback link that lets you email the Support Team with your questions at mobile_support@starkey. Thank you again for your feedback, as it allows us to continue to improve our products and services. Sincerely, Starkey

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Testing the Starkey AI 2400 with a cross system. I am deaf, only 50%. My right ear does not function. I was born this way. I learned to live with it. But now, after 40 years I got myself a cross system. This sends the sound from my deaf ear to the good one. I never realised I missed so much sound... I hear a lot better now! I may test this device before buying, but after only 2days of use I am convinced that I will buy!

Only minor I have the the connectivity towards Android. I used my phone as mp3 player when walking around. I read streaming music would be possible to the hearings aids, but it seems very hard. I am using an Samsung S8. It connects easily to the Starkey, but playing music through bluetooth is not possible, unless I buy an extra microphone. Seems not that handy carrying an extra item just to listen to music when moving around. An android app that allows you to play music without extras is something we need. The iPhone seems to work well, just android users are left out. Also the live translation sounds awesome and I would have much use of it, but it doesn't work on my android. Hope to see this fixed.

Hi Tommy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We are so happy you are pleased with your Livio hearing aids!

Also, thank you for sharing your feedback regarding connectivity - We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues. We'd like to see if we can help with the problems you are having, so please contact us at mobile_support@starkey.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you!

Starkey Hearing

Starkey Hearing Aids Company Information

Starkey Hearing Technologies
    1967
    6700 Washington Avenue S.
    Eden Prairie