2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

3.0/5 (151 ratings)

About Starkey Hearing Aids

Starkey is a privately held, global hearing technology company headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Founded by Bill Austin in 1967, Starkey is known for its innovative design, development and distribution of comprehensive digital hearing systems. Led today by President Brandon Sawalich, Starkey is the only American-owned provider of hearing technologies. The company has more than 5,000 employees, operates 26+ facilities and does business in more than 100 markets worldwide.

Pros

• State-of-the-art technology
  • Thrive Hearing Control app
  • Styles for all levels of hearing loss

Cons

• Not always covered by insurance

Bottom Line

Starkey Hearing Technologies develops hearing aids under three brand names. Starkey manufactures 10 different styles of hearing aids for all levels of hearing loss.

Starkey hearing aids

How do Starkey Hearing aids work?

Start by visiting your local audiologist or hearing professional to find out if you’re a candidate for Starkey hearing aids. Your health care professional can help you pick the best style of hearing aid for your lifestyle and level of hearing loss.

Some of the most popular models of Starkey hearing aids include:

Receiver-in-canal
  • Multiple technologies available
In-the-ear
  • Easy adjustments
  • For mild/severe hearing loss

What features come with Starkey hearing aids?

Some of Starkey’s hearing aids come equipped with state-of-the-art technology that allows you to stream music and phone calls. These hearing aids also let you use the Thrive Hearing Control app to control hearing aid settings from your smartphone. This controls three main settings:

• Hearing Performance controls sound quality and clarity with speech enhancement features and noise control. It allows you to create presets for regular settings.
  • Healthable Technology keeps track of your steps, daily activities and social engagement. It comes equipped with a fall-detection feature and heart rate monitoring.
  • Information Assistance lets you ask the Thrive Assistant questions to troubleshoot issues. You can request remote adjustments to your hearing aids without needing to schedule an office visit, and the app can even transcribe conversations to your smartphone.

Starkey hearing aids require a four-month adjustment period. This process of reacclimating to certain noises can be strenuous on the brain, especially if your hearing has been declining for a while. Your Starkey hearing aids could require several adjustments, so the company recommends staying in contact with your hearing professional during this period.

How much do Starkey hearing aids cost?

The cost of Starkey hearing aids varies based on the model and features. Most hearing professionals offer hearing aid payment plans, so ask your local audiologist about payment options. You could qualify for free hearing aids or a discount through:

• Your union
  • Your employer
  • Veterans Affairs benefits
  • Your insurance provider/HMO
  • A local charity

You could be eligible for partial or full coverage through Medicare or Medicaid. While most Medicare plans don’t cover hearing aids, you might receive benefits if you’re Medicare Advantage plan member. Medicaid often covers hearing aids for adults and typically gives full funding for children’s hearing aids.

Are Starkey Hearing aids worth it?

Starkey hearing aids are customizable and come in a variety of options. With the ability to easily adjust your hearing aids through the Thrive Hearing Control app, they’re a great option for all levels of hearing loss. The company also creates a variety of styles to help fit every person's preference for appearance and comfort. If you struggle with hearing loss, Starkey hearing aids could be the right choice for you.

Starkey Hearing Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey Hearing Aids?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

This hearing aid performs better than my last one. It has better sound quality and better amplification. I find I'm able to pick up sounds that I have not been able to hear in the past. It is also able to be adjusted to the exact volume of sound coming out of my ears so the amplification is 100% accurate to my needs. This quality makes it an excellent hearing aid and is not something I have had in the past.

Hi D.C.,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to leave us this wonderful and thoughtful review!

Starkey

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Hearing aids are a pain, especially with a mask and glasses. However, Starkey is the very best aid even under these circumstances. Service has been fantastic, quick, competent, friendly and professional. They are easily adjustable via phone, can be set to hear phone conversions and TV. Very happy all the way around.

Hi R.J.,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are so happy to hear you are happy with your Starkey Hearing Aids.

Starkey

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Actually, my hearing aid person only recommends Starkey to his clients. He is one of their best sales people. He is very conscientious, helpful and honest. He always gets Starkey to help his clients and they do come through to help at no charge. I wear Starkey hearing aids for five years and recommend them. They are also easy to use.

Hi Maxine,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review!

Starkey

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I'm very pleased with my Starkey hearing aids. My audiologist sequenced the full programming during three visits over a span of 5 weeks. I experienced no feelings of discomfort or negative sensation. I am surprised at the light weight of the units. I don't feel them at all; neither the speaker in the ear or the microphone unit behind the ear. A completely positive and productive experience all around.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you for the excellent review, David!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I originally ordered the in the ear hearing aids since I had this type before and liked them, but when I received the new ones they were much larger and very uncomfortable. My Doctor and I requested to return them and receive the new around the ear type which are very comfortable and easy to use. I am very pleased with the new ones and your staff.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Wonderful, Daniel! Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and happy to hear you are pleased.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

This is my second Starkey in ear canal aide. The first was great, so I went with it again and boy did I make a mistake! It's awful, they keep sending it away and it comes back the same. So I have wasted $3,500. I can't wear it, the noise is awful, I just keep wearing the 6 year old one, thank goodness I have it!!! Don't waste your money, be safe and go with another company.

Original review: July 29, 2021

The sound is still “noisy white noise” in ear, hollow sound, plugged up ear..worse than without hearing aid in. Does not improve hearing and feel as if balance is off when wearing them. Also, they constantly are either on the verge of falling out or do fall out. I already have lost one pair (on two separate occasions for each ear). I paid the insurance copay for another pair and I am having the same experience. I have told my audiologist about this and nothing has helped. I certainly don’t want to have to constantly worry all day long about whether my hearing aid is about to fall out. Many times it is just ready to fall out when I check it.

I would like a refund on these. I have now paid for two pair of these terrible hearing aids. And, I foolishly just insured the second pair, thinking that the new pair would be better. I paid $6900 for the first pair and an insurance copay of $595 to replace the ones that fell out of my ears. These hearing aids have caused me nothing but stress and loss of large amounts of money, with no hearing improvement..sound is amplified but not good sounding.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I had purchased the NuEar Circa 1200 hearing aids from a company that went out of business shorty before my factory warranty was up and when I called Starkey to see what I could do about getting them fixed. I didn’t hear anything from the company that I purchased the hearing aids from about them going out of business & they just disappeared & left everybody hanging. I called Starkey for help since they were under manufacturer’s warranty at the time still. Unfortunately for purchasers like myself, we are completely out of luck! Starkey only directed me to another one of their venders who wants to charge me for a hearing test, reprogramming both hearing aids and who knows what after if the reprogramming does not fix the problem that I am having with both of my hearing aids.

I own my own construction company and have not been able to hear my clients for about 3 months now and that’s not good for my business due to not hearing the clients when it comes to details and financial matters. Things could end up really bad for my company to say the least. (I make sure that the client and I are on the same page to prevent that from happening but it’s a whole lot of unnecessary time I spend to do that and my family is getting less of my time than they should due to having to spend that time). As a business owner, I stand by my product and service 100% to ensure my client’s satisfaction as I believe every company should be expected to do so. Starkey pushed me off onto a vender every time I called to get help from them.

My hearing aids are a year old and were still under manufacturer’s warranty 3 months ago when I started having problems with them. Since then, I have not been able to get a vender that doesn’t want to charge me for everything as if they were brand new but paid for. These are the worst hearing aids that I have ever had and the worst service from the manufacturer I have dealt with and I have been wearing hearing aids for 39 years.

I would expect the “self proclaimed” industry leading technology manufacturer to handle such a small problem with a lot more inside help rather than just pushing it onto some company that wants to charge the purchaser for service on Starkey’s products. The products are junk and the service is even worse because they are aware that they make junk. I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone because it’s just the run around and pay even under warranty game. STAY AWAY FROM THE JUNK THIS COMPANY MAKES!!!

Original review: March 29, 2021

I have the Starkey remote microphone, the hearing specialist where I got my hearing aids said it was a great device paired with the hearing aids. It is a great device, however the clip is so inferior it does not last more than 6 to 8 months before it breaks making it unable to clip to my shirt. Starkey replaced it once, now it's not under warranty and no one at Starkey can tell me how must it cost to repair. Do not buy this product unless you want to keep sending it in for repair and all the hassle of sending it in and waiting for it to break again in six months.

Hi, John,

Thank you for your feedback. Like you, many people love Remote Microphones. We manufacture a couple of remote microphones that work with our different hearing aids. Your Hearing Professional can work on your behave to give you a quote on the cost to obtain a replacement clip.

We value your feedback, and we value our relationships with our Audiologist. If for some reason, you feel you can no longer work with the office you obtain the Remote Mic from, please call us to get a referral to another office near you that supports Starkey products. The number is 800-721-3573.

Starkey

Original review: March 3, 2021

My husband bought hearing aids through B.S. Wisniewski in Greenfield Wi on 2/6/19. The first few weeks he seemed to hear fairly well. After that, it has been downhill. He seems to go regularly to Wisniewski to have check ups and have things reviewed, but the results are always the same. He has the same catch phrases he used prior to hearing aids, “I didn’t quite catch that, you are mumbling, I was distracted.” We paid $6,990.00 for these state of the art hearing aids and I have to say, “I am totally disappointed.” I truly couldn’t recommend them to anyone at this point. Instead of telling other people, I wrote to the company but heard nothing. In addition to him hearing very poorly, he has problems with the left one staying in his ear. It is always hanging out of his ear in the air.

Again, I am not complaining about B.S. Wisniewski, they have tried to give him different size plugs to fit his ear, but so far nothing has solved the problem. I have to say, I am truly disappointed that my husband's hearing isn’t much better than prior to hearing aids, I’m afraid he will lose them with them hanging out of his ear all the time. This took a serious bite out of our limited income, as we are both living on our small Social Security checks. I think we paid a very large price for something that really isn’t working for him. We have had many fights about this subject, so this has caused me a lot of grief. Thank you for listening.

Hi Mrs. Byron,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear about you and your husband's experience, and we will use your feedback to improve our products and service.

We would like to see how we can make things right and understand a bit more about your husband's fitting experience. We know the professionals that sell Starkey products are always up to the challenge to make sure the patients and spouses are satisfied with the outcome of their appointments.

If you would like us to reach out to your Audiologist to help with this process, would you please let us know the name and phone number of the office and your husband's hearing aid serial numbers?

If you haven't already, please contact our Service Team. They are available to offer suggestions during regular business hours. The number is 800-721-3573.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback.

Starkey Hearing Aids Company Information

1967
    6700 Washington Avenue S.
    Eden Prairie