3.9/5 (226 ratings)

About Starkey Hearing Aids

Starkey is a privately held, global hearing technology company headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Founded by Bill Austin in 1967, Starkey is known for its innovative design, development and distribution of comprehensive digital hearing systems. Led today by President and CEO Brandon Sawalich, Starkey is the only American-owned provider of hearing technologies. The company has more than 5,000 employees, operates 29 facilities and does business in more than 100 markets worldwide.

Pros

• State-of-the-art technology
  • Thrive Hearing Control app
  • Styles for all levels of hearing loss

Cons

• Not always covered by insurance

Bottom Line

Starkey Hearing Technologies develops hearing aids under three brand names. Starkey manufactures 10 different styles of hearing aids for all levels of hearing loss.

Starkey Hearing Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey Hearing Aids?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey?

Original review: July 6, 2022

Starkey's devices don't sound mechanical compared to the other ones I tried. I also liked the feedback that their audiologist has given me and I liked her personality. So far, I have been pretty content with the quality of my hearing aids except my device will not stay charged for 24 hours. About 12 hours is all I'm getting out of them now, then they start telling me battery low and they'll go dead. But I’m going to try to get back over their office this week and see what we can do about it. The first pair I had, you had to put batteries in them and I didn't have any issues. This time, I got the rechargeable ones and the batteries aren't lasting like they should.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

We're so happy to read that your hearing aids are sounding clear and natural. We recommend connecting with your hearing professional around the battery life - a review and change of settings may help increase your battery life.

Original review: June 25, 2022

I like how you can tune the Starkey hearing aids to fit your hearing based on the hearing test. That worked to some extent, but I still have a little problem understanding correctly and I need to go back to their office. Other than that, their reps have been very friendly and helpful.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

We appreciate your feedback. You're spot on with the thought to reconnect with your hearing professional on this. They will be able to assist with any additional fine-tuning that may be needed to help you hear your absolute best.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I don't like the hearing aid. It's not comfortable. I have the model that goes on the top of the ear and then to the inside of the ear. They advertise that the hearing aids don't have all that stuff sitting on top of your ears but I've got glasses and it interferes with them.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Your hearing aids should feel as comfortable and secure as possible so that you can experience the best hearing possible as you go about your day-to-day life. We recommend connecting with your hearing professional to see if a different style, material, or further adjustments may be needed.

Original review: June 22, 2022

They answer my questions if I have any. But lately, I had put my hearing aids up on 100 and able to hear stuff. I have one ear that drains, and I don't hear good out of it. I told them the last time I was in their office that I didn't know what was going on. The hearing aids don't work as good as they should. I also wish it was more affordable. But I like that I can send the hearing aids through my cell phone. I got the app that I can turn it up and down with my cell phone. With the old hearing aids, you had to put batteries in them. But these new ones, they got a charging station and I like that.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

We appreciate this update. We recommend connecting with your hearing professional to see if your hearing aids might be in need of additional adjustments. If you have any questions about the technical issues that you are experiencing, please connect with our Technical Support team at (866) 637-9243.

Original review: June 21, 2022

The hearing aids work just fine. Everything’s been good.

Thanks for the update!

Original review: June 9, 2022

Have had your hearing aids now for 3 months and they have helped my hearing, but everything sounds very tinny. All word that start with an S has a shss sound to it. Your app does not work with my iPhone so I can't adjust the aids. The phone Bluetooth does work so that I can adjust the volume but that is all. I would grade these hearing aids as Poor.

Hello Robert,

We are sorry to hear you’re experiencing some difficulty with your hearing aids. It sounds like your hearing aids may need to be adjusted. We’d suggest connecting back with your hearing professional and scheduling an appointment to have your devices adjusted. We’d also welcome speaking with you at your earliest convenience to see if we can assist. Feel free to contact our Customer Service team at (800) 328-8602.

Original review: June 5, 2022

I had the wonderful Starkey custom in-the-ear CIC model. The first one failed after 20 days. After repair, it failed again after 3 days. Concerned with their reliability, I canceled the contract and am choosing another brand.

Hi Jonathan -

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We understand that your hearing aids help you navigate your life, and that quality and reliability are incredibly important. We are surprised to read of the difficulties that you encountered with your new custom hearing aids, as what you have described is rather unusual. If you have any questions or concerns about your experience, please know that you are welcome to connect with our Customer Service team by calling (800) 328-8602, or by using any of the digital contact options offered here: https://www.starkey.com/contact-starkey-hearing.

Original review: June 4, 2022

I’ve severe to profound hearing loss. Fitted with Starkey Muse 7 years ago.. Within that time they have been replaced 3 times by the manufacturer and now have quit again.. They are not well built… Ascent Audiology provided the service and they have been very good about it.. I’ve bought extended warranties however this last time I could no longer buy the extension. Go to an audiologist that provides more than one manufacturer and forget trying to speak to Starkey on their product issues… Never available.

Hello George -

Your hearing aids help keep you connected with your world. It's understandable that you're looking for what next steps to take. Generally speaking, your hearing professional will be able to assist you with any troubleshooting, maintenance, or adjustments that you may need, and they can also assist with sending the hearing aids out for repair (charges may apply if they are no longer under a warranty or support plan). With the age of your hearing aids and the recent technological advances that have become available in the last few years, your hearing professional may also recommend upgrading to newer hearing instruments. Unlike other manufacturers, Starkey will repair devices that are older than five years old. If you should choose to send the hearing aids in, your hearing professional should be able to add a new worry-free warranty.

If you would like to connect with Starkey's Customer Service team with any questions, please call (800) 328-8602. If you are in need of technical support, please call (866) 637-9243. You can find additional means of contacting us (including digitally) here: https://www.starkey.com/contact-starkey-hearing.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I had a childhood sickness, of which I've still suffer effects throughout life so far! I have constant mild to loud ringing in the ears! I've been told it is not tinnitus! Anyway I recently, like the last few days received some Picasso hearing aids, in canal! Wow being a first time user, I could hear everything around me, even my voice, movements, eating etc! A bit loud, Q is, is there any adjustments for the customer? I have all the instructions, but I'd like to hear from other users as well as maker! Please **. Thank you!

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Your hearing professional will be able to help make adjustments or programming changes to your hearing aids. SurfLink accessories, such as the SurfLink Remote (https://www.starkey.com/hearing-aids/accessories/surflink/mini-mobile) can also help you adjust volume, memory modes, streaming modes, and more.

Adjusting to new hearing aids can take some time, especially for your first pair. You're definitely not alone in experiencing hearing a lot of new sounds that may feel loud all at once! Here's a resource that may be helpful for you during this time: https://www.starkey.com/hearing-loss/treatment/adjusting-to-hearing-aids. If things continue to feel overwhelming for an extended period of time, we recommend continuing to having conversations with your hearing professional to see what adjustments might be right for you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I have purchased two sets of Starkey hearing aids from two different sources over the past few years. The cost was over $10,000.00 for the two. Nothing but problem after problem with them. Left one continually quit working and had to be returned to the factory only to quit working again time after time. I would NOT recommend Starkey to anyone and would not use them if they were free.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that this happened. Your hearing aids help keep you connected with your world, so reliability is important. While working with your hearing professional is typically the best first step in troubleshooting concerns and determining next steps, our Customer Service team is also available to provide support at (800) 328-8602. We will also send you a private response with a request for additional information in the event that you are looking for additional assistance.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

This is my second Starkey in ear canal aide. The first was great, so I went with it again and boy did I make a mistake! It's awful, they keep sending it away and it comes back the same. So I have wasted $3,500. I can't wear it, the noise is awful, I just keep wearing the 6 year old one, thank goodness I have it!!! Don't waste your money, be safe and go with another company.

Original review: July 29, 2021

The sound is still “noisy white noise” in ear, hollow sound, plugged up ear..worse than without hearing aid in. Does not improve hearing and feel as if balance is off when wearing them. Also, they constantly are either on the verge of falling out or do fall out. I already have lost one pair (on two separate occasions for each ear). I paid the insurance copay for another pair and I am having the same experience. I have told my audiologist about this and nothing has helped. I certainly don’t want to have to constantly worry all day long about whether my hearing aid is about to fall out. Many times it is just ready to fall out when I check it.

I would like a refund on these. I have now paid for two pair of these terrible hearing aids. And, I foolishly just insured the second pair, thinking that the new pair would be better. I paid $6900 for the first pair and an insurance copay of $595 to replace the ones that fell out of my ears. These hearing aids have caused me nothing but stress and loss of large amounts of money, with no hearing improvement..sound is amplified but not good sounding.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I had purchased the NuEar Circa 1200 hearing aids from a company that went out of business shorty before my factory warranty was up and when I called Starkey to see what I could do about getting them fixed. I didn’t hear anything from the company that I purchased the hearing aids from about them going out of business & they just disappeared & left everybody hanging. I called Starkey for help since they were under manufacturer’s warranty at the time still. Unfortunately for purchasers like myself, we are completely out of luck! Starkey only directed me to another one of their venders who wants to charge me for a hearing test, reprogramming both hearing aids and who knows what after if the reprogramming does not fix the problem that I am having with both of my hearing aids.

I own my own construction company and have not been able to hear my clients for about 3 months now and that’s not good for my business due to not hearing the clients when it comes to details and financial matters. Things could end up really bad for my company to say the least. (I make sure that the client and I are on the same page to prevent that from happening but it’s a whole lot of unnecessary time I spend to do that and my family is getting less of my time than they should due to having to spend that time). As a business owner, I stand by my product and service 100% to ensure my client’s satisfaction as I believe every company should be expected to do so. Starkey pushed me off onto a vender every time I called to get help from them.

My hearing aids are a year old and were still under manufacturer’s warranty 3 months ago when I started having problems with them. Since then, I have not been able to get a vender that doesn’t want to charge me for everything as if they were brand new but paid for. These are the worst hearing aids that I have ever had and the worst service from the manufacturer I have dealt with and I have been wearing hearing aids for 39 years.

I would expect the “self proclaimed” industry leading technology manufacturer to handle such a small problem with a lot more inside help rather than just pushing it onto some company that wants to charge the purchaser for service on Starkey’s products. The products are junk and the service is even worse because they are aware that they make junk. I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone because it’s just the run around and pay even under warranty game. STAY AWAY FROM THE JUNK THIS COMPANY MAKES!!!

Original review: March 29, 2021

I have the Starkey remote microphone, the hearing specialist where I got my hearing aids said it was a great device paired with the hearing aids. It is a great device, however the clip is so inferior it does not last more than 6 to 8 months before it breaks making it unable to clip to my shirt. Starkey replaced it once, now it's not under warranty and no one at Starkey can tell me how must it cost to repair. Do not buy this product unless you want to keep sending it in for repair and all the hassle of sending it in and waiting for it to break again in six months.

Hi, John,

Thank you for your feedback. Like you, many people love Remote Microphones. We manufacture a couple of remote microphones that work with our different hearing aids. Your Hearing Professional can work on your behave to give you a quote on the cost to obtain a replacement clip.

We value your feedback, and we value our relationships with our Audiologist. If for some reason, you feel you can no longer work with the office you obtain the Remote Mic from, please call us to get a referral to another office near you that supports Starkey products. The number is 800-721-3573.

Starkey

Original review: March 3, 2021

My husband bought hearing aids through B.S. Wisniewski in Greenfield Wi on 2/6/19. The first few weeks he seemed to hear fairly well. After that, it has been downhill. He seems to go regularly to Wisniewski to have check ups and have things reviewed, but the results are always the same. He has the same catch phrases he used prior to hearing aids, “I didn’t quite catch that, you are mumbling, I was distracted.” We paid $6,990.00 for these state of the art hearing aids and I have to say, “I am totally disappointed.” I truly couldn’t recommend them to anyone at this point. Instead of telling other people, I wrote to the company but heard nothing. In addition to him hearing very poorly, he has problems with the left one staying in his ear. It is always hanging out of his ear in the air.

Again, I am not complaining about B.S. Wisniewski, they have tried to give him different size plugs to fit his ear, but so far nothing has solved the problem. I have to say, I am truly disappointed that my husband's hearing isn’t much better than prior to hearing aids, I’m afraid he will lose them with them hanging out of his ear all the time. This took a serious bite out of our limited income, as we are both living on our small Social Security checks. I think we paid a very large price for something that really isn’t working for him. We have had many fights about this subject, so this has caused me a lot of grief. Thank you for listening.

Hi Mrs. Byron,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear about you and your husband's experience, and we will use your feedback to improve our products and service.

We would like to see how we can make things right and understand a bit more about your husband's fitting experience. We know the professionals that sell Starkey products are always up to the challenge to make sure the patients and spouses are satisfied with the outcome of their appointments.

If you would like us to reach out to your Audiologist to help with this process, would you please let us know the name and phone number of the office and your husband's hearing aid serial numbers?

If you haven't already, please contact our Service Team. They are available to offer suggestions during regular business hours. The number is 800-721-3573.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback.

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I've was born partly deaf so used aid moist of my life, The Starkey aids do the job OK, but the warranty means nothing, if you have to return them for any reason expect big repair bills. The CIC (Completely In Canal) Aids have a stork to pull them out of your ear, this does not wear very well, without them is difficult to get the Aid out. If you try it can damage the casing of the aid and this leads to an expensive repair bill as the case is not covered by warranty, I never had this issue with other Aids companies like Widex or Phonak so assume it a Starkey issue, I think it is because they are just made cheaper although they charge £4,000 a pair which is not cheap at all.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your patience. We regret to hear you've had a poor experience with the CIC products. We at Starkey are always up to the challenge to make sure you are satisfied with our products. Would you mind sharing the serial number of the hearing aid? You can reply directly through the ConsumerAffairs messages. We will reach out to our UK Team to research the root cause of the removal line damage. Is it okay to email you the results of our findings?

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

This hearing aid performs better than my last one. It has better sound quality and better amplification. I find I'm able to pick up sounds that I have not been able to hear in the past. It is also able to be adjusted to the exact volume of sound coming out of my ears so the amplification is 100% accurate to my needs. This quality makes it an excellent hearing aid and is not something I have had in the past.

Hi D.C.,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to leave us this wonderful and thoughtful review!

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I like the versatility. Has ability to change for restaurant and auditorium. Level of sound is also helpful in adjusting sound volumes. The hearing aid also adjusts to listening on the phone as well.

Hi Alan,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Starkey hearing aids! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying the technology.

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Good hearing aids for the price. Mine are the basic ones & they do the job. The batteries only last about 6 days before changing. Sound quality is good however background noise often overpowers voice.

Hi David,

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Starkey in the canal hearing aid has been my choice for over twenty years. I have a significant identical loss from an illness at birth. I am able to hear very well and haven't had any problems with product quality or ease of use. The company has a very good warranty on their product and service well. I will return for my next set!

Hi Judith,

It is wonderful to hear about your loyalty to Starkey hearing aids! Thank you!

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Easy to care for. I have the rechargeable devices. The right ear device has "red" on it to ensure the correct ear. I clean daily with tissue. The recharging box is compact and can take with me if I travel. They fit well and I am very pleased with them.

Hi Sharon,

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Hearing aids are a pain, especially with a mask and glasses. However, Starkey is the very best aid even under these circumstances. Service has been fantastic, quick, competent, friendly and professional. They are easily adjustable via phone, can be set to hear phone conversions and TV. Very happy all the way around.

Hi R.J.,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are so happy to hear you are happy with your Starkey Hearing Aids.

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Got its digital profound deaf hearing aids. Sounds quality is great. Needs service almost annually due to humidity and sweat despite using dryer and uv device daily. Digital hearing aid turns out to be more sensitive to humidity than analog hearing aid (every 3 years to service).

Hi Rafael,

We appreciate you sharing your Starkey hearing aid feedback with us, thank you!

Starkey

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

The initial cost of the hearing aid wasn't bad, compared to some on the market. I've been able to pick up more of a conversation and feel more confident since I began wearing the device. Average battery life is three days if the common name brands are avoided and a quality version is used.

Hi Richard,

Starkey

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

My husband and I both have Starkey hearing aids. We are happy to be able to hear conversation so much better. Customer service is outstanding. We particularly enjoy the rechargeable batteries, preventing us from having to replace tiny batteries every so many days.

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to leave this positive feedback! We are happy to hear you and your husband are happy with your Starkey hearing aids.

Starkey

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Couldn’t be happier with them. I was pleasantly surprised how well they work and all the features they have. I should have gotten them a long time ago. It was good to have such great insurance. They didn’t cost me anything!

Hi James,

Thank you for the great review! We are so happy to hear that you are happy with your Starkey hearing aids.

Starkey

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Actually, my hearing aid person only recommends Starkey to his clients. He is one of their best sales people. He is very conscientious, helpful and honest. He always gets Starkey to help his clients and they do come through to help at no charge. I wear Starkey hearing aids for five years and recommend them. They are also easy to use.

Hi Maxine,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review!

Starkey

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

This might be a little long, but hope it will explain the situation and maybe come up with a solution. I got a set of Starkey Hearing Aids about 10 years ago. They were CIC and I believe analog. During the three-year warranty period, both of them were in for repair 3 or 4 times each. Then I got a set of Miracle-Ear CIC. For the 3-year warranty period, 1 was sent in for repair one time. Last year I was accepted by the VA for their hearing aid program. I received a set of Picasso CIC at the end of October 2020. At the end of December both had quit working and they were sent in for repair. When I got them back, the left is ok, but the right one would not turn on for a minute or so when closing the battery cover.

Now after a couple of weeks, after it comes on it will go off in about two minutes. If I take it out of my ear, it will turn back on in one minute. Put it in my ear, and the cycle starts over. My guess is it is body heat related. Another then that I don’t understand is the wax guards. With my old set, I was replacing them every week, With the new ones I am having to replace them almost every day. With the Miracle-Ear, I replaced them maybe twice a month.

I have never got them wet. I take them out in loud noisy environments. At night the battery covers are opened and put in a hearing aid dryer. Every time I have had my ears checked they comment on the small amount of wax I have. Have nothing against the Starkey company. Years ago, when I lived in Eden Prairie, MN, I worked for a computer company and installed a lot of equipment at Starkey. Will have the bad one sent in again, and let’s see what happens.

Hi Norman,

Thank you for your patience and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’re sorry to hear about your experience with multiple repairs you have had to go through. We do encourage you to keep working with your hearing professional, who is best suited to help during times of adjustment or other unforeseen recurring issues. We know the professions who fit Starkey hearing aids are the best in the business and will welcome the challenge to make sure you are satisfied with your hearing devices.

It does sound as if you are currently awaiting the most recent repair and we hope that will be the last.

However, if you haven't already reached out directly to us. We'd like to see if we can share some recommendations for the issues you are having, contact us at 1-800-721-3573 or information@starkey.com.

Starkey Hearing

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

The devices seem to focus on ambient noises to the exclusion of voices nearby when in busy environments. They nicely amplify the TV but I can just turn it up when not wearing them. Crinkle sounds like chip bags are so loud they hurt.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the feedback, and I’m sorry for your experience. If you would like to have us dig deeper into your account with the product to understand better the changes between the hearing device of your past and the current model, please email with the serial numbers. I would love to get your permission to consult with your Audiologist about your case. If you like this idea, please let me know, and I will provide you with a contact email. I do hope you are hearing better and staying safe.

Starkey

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I'm very pleased with my Starkey hearing aids. My audiologist sequenced the full programming during three visits over a span of 5 weeks. I experienced no feelings of discomfort or negative sensation. I am surprised at the light weight of the units. I don't feel them at all; neither the speaker in the ear or the microphone unit behind the ear. A completely positive and productive experience all around.

Starkey Hearing Aids response

Thank you for the excellent review, David!

Starkey Hearing Aids Company Information

1967
6700 Washington Avenue S.
Eden Prairie