Starkey Hearing Aids
2.50/5

Need a good hearing aid?

Starkey Hearing Aids

Starkey Hearing Technologies is a privately held, global hearing technology company headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Founded in 1967, the company is recognized for its innovative design, development and distribution of comprehensive digital hearing systems. The company develops, manufactures and distributes hearing aids via three distinct brands – Audibel, NuEar and its original brand, Starkey. As the only American-owned and American-operated provider of hearing technologies, Starkey Hearing Technologies is proud to support veterans and active military service personnel with the best in American innovation, including a suite of revolutionary hearing technologies and other resources. Starkey Hearing Technologies currently employs more than 5,000 people, operates 24 facilities and conducts business in more than 100 markets worldwide.

Need a good hearing aid?

54 Starkey Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I've been hard of hearing since I was 6 years old. I'm now 52 so I know more than most. I've been sold top of range hearing aids suppose to be moist resistance so they say. What a joke. Not even resistant to humidity. I would steer away from buying any products from Starkey. I've have nothing but constant repairs after repairs. I'm a professional truck driver and Starkey doesn't know how vital it is or how I rely and depend on these hearing aids. Paid up to 6 thousand that came with dryer and surf link. So pathetic. Waste of money on these useless hearing aids.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

When I was diagnosed needing hearing aids in 2014, I visited several audiologists and picked one that I liked. She recommended Starkey. So I put out almost $7k for the top of line RIC aids and the Surfline unit. These hearing aids have never worked properly. They don't really improve my hearing in conversations but I get all kinds of click clack noises. I had my hearing rechecked and the hearing aids were deemed correct. The biggest issue is the part that goes in my ear. For some reason it is a BLACK plastic and I think I am allergic to it. After wearing the hearing aids for several hours my ear canals become itchy, red, and scaly. The little wire tail pops out of my ear and won't stay put. This is a very poor design and I see that Starkey has changed this part, but I was told I would have to buy a whole new pair of hearing aids to get the new little earbud. So, the hearing aids just got thrown in a drawer and I don't wear them. Wasted money, wasted effort, wasted time!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

My son has worn hearing aids since age 3 so I am quite knowledgeable in the area of what to expect, features, etc. When recently diagnosed with a medical induced hearing loss, I first researched a provider that was a board certified audiologist and that offered the top known and well recognized brands. You also want to select a provider that is well versed in the brands offered so that they are very familiar with how to properly adjust your new hearing aids for your particular hearing loss.

For over 30 years I have been very familiar and pleased for my son with ReSound and Phonak hearing aids. I read some research on Starkey and the Halo 2 (top of the line) seemed to offer the same features as the latest Phonak. Against my better judgment and experience, I let the audiologist guide me toward Starkey. It was the brand that she knew best and apparently the one recommended to most clients. She indicated she has some familiarity with Phonak.

I purchased the Halo 2 three one-half months ago and have been back and forth so many times it is frustrating. One of the primary advertising points of the Halo 2 is that they are designed for iPhone for streaming of music, phone, etc. directly into the hearing aids. Phonak offers same features. However, when I stream my phone calls directly into my hearing aids, I have a constant clicking in both aids. The hearing aids were shipped back to the factory once, and returned that nothing was wrong. I borrowed a pair of loaners during that time and had no issues during the loan period.

I am now being told that the clicking is due to the type of technology that iPhone uses for streaming and that there is nothing that can be done to avoid the clicking and that all hearing aids will do the same unless you use a separate streaming device. I purchased a new iPhone solely based on the streaming advertised feature. The sound in my hearing aids is clear but I still have difficulty understanding individuals even in quiet environments. Since it appears I am stuck with the hearing aids at a cost of $6000 I will have to keep them but I would definitely not recommend them.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I have a friend who let me try her Starkey Halos and I loved how they worked. I thus bought the new Halo 2 hearing aids and from day 1 I hated them as they were worse than no hearing aids as background noise was horrible. I could not hear the people I was with any better. About 10 times I went in and they reprogrammed them. Still total JUNK - they are refunding my money and I will try Audicus which has a 45 day return policy and they are a lot less money and smaller.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Granted, they are new to me... but that is one of the reasons I'm so pleased. The devices are so comfortable I hardly knew they were in my ears from the first moment. There is a "getting to know you" period when they're new, and that is what I'm doing now. You lose your hearing over a period of years, not noticing until your family starts saying, "Mom, you need to get your ears tested," but when you get hearing aids, it's a sudden change and can be a little disconcerting. I can hear my cat chewing his kibble from across the room! The hearing practice I went to was American Hearing Care in St. Augustine, FL. They couldn't have been better. The hearing test was thorough and everything was discussed afterwards. I chose the second to highest level model and it was around $5,000, but had everything I needed. The devices are tiny, and invisible and come with a 2-year warranty which includes damage and loss. I highly recommend these hearing aids.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starkey Hearing Technologies?

Original review: June 12, 2017

THE WORST HEARING AIDS EVER! 2 1/2 years ago, I purchased very expensive Starkey Hearing Aids with all the bells and whistles. Recently, I had them replaced under warranty. Both, the original set and the replacements are equally bad. Whenever my audiologist tries to adjust the volume, the sound becomes sharp and harsh, and the hearing aid gives off a sound from at least 6 inches away from the ear. So, he adjusts the volume down with the result that I cannot hear people a few feet away! And forget giving someone a hug without triggering a squealing sound! Previous to these hearing aids, I used Phonak hearing aids. The sound is close to normal hearing and without all the noise on the side. If you need hearing aids, make sure you use them on a free trial basis, before plunking down $6,000.00 or more. Your hearing aid must be sound adjustable, not just for the volume! Good luck!

Original review: May 30, 2017

My mother in law purchased a set of Starkey hearing aids from Hearing Life in Viera Florida model # 17-14-100363 for approximately 4 thousand dollars (not covered by insurance) in 2015. They have never worked correctly. She had hearing test done twice and they assured her they were the right pair for her hearing. They sent back the left one when she first got them because they said something was wrong with it. To this day she can't hear anything while wearing them. She changes the batteries every day and we yell and repeat ourselves for everything we say. You can imagine how frustrating this gets to be.

I called the company customer service directly and all they could say was they only sell the units and directed me to a different hearing office to get her hearing checked again. The office where she purchased the first pair recommended buying a new pair (upgrade-another 5 thousand dollars). Basically she wasted 4 thousand dollars on 2 pieces of plastic junk that she puts Hattie's in every day. I think this is a big scam to steal money from senior citizens who need REAL hearing aids. There should be some kind of class action suit against this company to make them accountable.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I have worn hearing aids for 20+ years and these are the worst hearing aids that I have ever used. I was enticed by what seemed to be a lower cost at first, but I can definitely see that the whole "you get what you pay for" phrase really comes into play with these. It started off by them telling me these were the highest technology, after doing more research I find out that Starkey is actually pretty low technology, even in their "high" stuff.

Noise is where I have the most trouble, but that isn't even it all. I can barely hear my husband as he's sitting right across the kitchen table from me in quiet. When I was tested, they told me my speech understanding was 96% in quiet and 80% in noise, I might get about 50% understanding with these things in. Conversation is better with my old hearing aids than with these. I went back to ask for a refund because after 10+ adjustments they still were not working and they told me nothing could be done about it. TERRIBLE!!!

Original review: April 18, 2017

The phone mode never worked for more than 1 word. Even when they put over 8 magnets on my phone. The auto volume was slow to turn down, if at all, to loud noise. When it did the noise would be back to normal but the aids would stay at low volume. The only way to get the volume back is to shut the aids off and restart. They have stopped working so many times that I have lost count. The last time after factory fixing they still did not work. Now 9 months later, they distort if more than 1 person talks at same time.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I have ITC hearing aids from Starkey that continue getting holes in them. Four different times. 2 times in the left side and two times on the right side. New ones were made each time and they last about two months. The holes are in the plastic casing. Paid over 5000 dollars out of pocket!!! Asked Local shop where I purchased them if they could just take a picture of the hole so I wouldn't be waiting for the new ones to be made and was told no they need to use the inside components of the old one to make new shell. This leads me to believe they have it inside circuitry probably that is heating up causing a plastic to wear and get hole. Soon my one year warranty will be done and I will be out of my money. I believe this company is aware of the problem and have not made attempts to fix it!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I lost my hearing in an accident and was issued hearing aids from Advanced Hearing Center in Atlanta Ga. I have never been satisfied with the quality of the Starkey Z Series and it's accompanying "Surf Link" Unit. But my complaint is about the SurfLink Unit and should be taken as a WARNING to those people comparing hearing aids. Most insurance companies WILL NOT supply insurance to cover the extraordinary cost of any hearing devices so be aware of your future needs when buying these products!

The Surf Link Unit is poorly designed and poorly engineered and will go out of warranty within one year of purchase. This is my second Unit replacement and is now out of warranty and will cost me $700.00 to replace - due to Manufacturing Issues. These "one-year" warranties should always be a RED FLAG to us, as this is a sign of "planned obsolescence". The Starkey Company is not at all interested in helping people with issues related to its technology, manufacturing, or replacement of defective parts. Its sole interest is in money... and making LOTS OF IT.

I am deeply disappointed in the results I have gotten from these hearing aids, and I regret to say these companies are all the same. Each new device (or "upgrade") is technology based on obsolescence and will get more complex over time costing people in need of these devices thousands of dollars. Remember... no insurance will cover them, so you are out of pocket when the warranty runs out and the device MUST be replaced. Sure, you can spend and extra $250.00 EVERY YEAR to continue your warranty, but do you see where this is going? Starkey should be ashamed to be in business if they have no intention whatsoever of standing behind their product.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

Employees were thorough in their explanations and knowledgeable on the topic matter. Addressed me attentively and were very polite. In addition, they gave me 100% of their attention and answered any questions I had thoroughly and with plenty of patience. Their attire was appropriate for their job and the establishment was very well-maintained and thorough in what it carried. Atmosphere was welcoming and very clean. This product is a very valuable item to me as it helps me through everyday life and makes doing, usually, difficult tasks very simple and possible to achieve. Quality of the product is the best I've ever used since needing it. I have also never had any issues or complications in using this product.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Excellent to deal with. They were courteous and knowledgeable. I felt like they had my best interests at heart. I was totally comfortable with the service. The product is excellent. It really brings a clarity to the sounds around me and is comfortable to wear. It is discreet and hardly noticeable. The value is incredibly good. For what it does it is inexpensive without being cheap. There is great technology and craftsmanship involved and is a high-quality product. The quality is excellent. It is well crafted and works fantastically. It is almost like it is my natural hearing. I can't speak highly enough about it.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I needed information about which product would be best for me and they were very fast to respond. I was very happy with the speed and detail of the response. It made me very happy that they were so fast. I am very happy with my hearing aide. It works great and is very easy to change the battery in. It is very comfortable and fits nicely. The price was very reasonable as well. I feel like I received a good deal and would look forward to doing business with them again. I feel like the pricing was extremely fair. I feel that the quality of what I received was exactly as described and well worth the price I paid. I have had no issues with it so far. I have only had to change the battery once and it was not that difficult to do. I feel like the battery life is better than some products I have had before.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

I had to contact customer support to find some compatible devices that work with this one; they were 100% helpful and went out of their way to help me any way they could. This is one of the better devices on the market today. It far outperforms the competition and is made of quality material. I can't complain at all about the performance of this device. For what it's worth, I paid maybe HALF of what I could have! Not only is this one of the better devices, but the price point is probably one of the best. This is made of a high-quality material. I've dropped them a bunch of times and they have survived without a problem at all. A few scratches and dents, but still functioning 100%.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

The people I talked to were very helpful and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. The lady made sure I had everything I needed. The hearing aid helped me hear things I forgot I wasn't even hearing. It was amazing experience.and I would highly recommend it to anyone that ask. It was a very valuable product that I could afford without giving my left arm, foot and ear. I could still get some food afterward. I went to get a burrito and fries. It has been very good for me. It has not broke. It has changed my life and what I expect from hearing aids. It makes me happy and full of joy.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

The staff at the location I went to was very attentive and really seemed to care about helping get the device needed. They asked what we were needing along with info from the audiologist, and then explained their offerings and helped find the device best for our needs, not their bank account. The device we got, the Orion 2, works perfectly. Don't have an embarrassing device outside, and yet the functionality is not compromised. It is such a "set and forget" device that it is amazing. I do wish the cost had been less, but that is just due to budget. It is not the highest end device, but the functionality and design make up for a lot. The quality seems superb. It isn't a premier device, more of the low to mid range, and yet it performs like a top of the line device as far as I can tell. Still pricey, but good for getting the best on a budget.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

When I first bought the device the people there were very helpful. It was easy to set up and start using. The user manual was helpful and the people where I bought it was very informative. I received my money's worth in the device. The value for its performance and quality is top notch. After years it is still running smoothly. Amazing quality. It still feels like brand new after years of use. I haven't had any trouble of a malfunction or break of the device. It is recommended for sure.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

They were helpful with finding the device that was right for me. I didn't have to worry about a sales pitch or a commission based sale because I saw genuine concern about my well being from the salesperson. It is the best investment in my health I have ever made. I can hear now and it eliminates background noise so I can hear conversations in crowded environments and virtually anywhere I need to have a conversation. It has returned the quality of life to me in ways I never imagined from a small device. I can hear clearly and not have to nod and pretend to hear. It actually helps me in so many ways. It is great quality and seems to be very sturdy. I don't have to worry about it breaking. And the sound is crystal clear, even when I am in a restaurant or subway.

Original review: March 31, 2016

It is just the right size. It does not cause me any discomfort. It is easy to clean or to keep clean. It helps me to hear very well. It is at a reasonable price. It makes sounds very loud and loud enough for you to hear perfectly. It is a great thing to have. As for the customer service, I get all the assistance I need and more. They are very kind towards me. They always take the time to help me with everything.

Original review: March 29, 2016

The hearing aid helped me hear better and everyone I know that uses it is very fond of it. Additionally it was beneficial and not too costly. It was good. Quality was nice. However it didn't last too long. I might purchase it again. I might not. Overall I was satisfied. Customer service was very nice. The people were pleasant. It was nice talking to them. They explained to me everything the hearing aid did. They were friendly. The value was reasonable. For the value I wouldn't think twice to purchase again. Cheaper than other alternatives. I'm fond of the pricing. I think the perceived value is high. Overall I'm very happy. I would recommend.

Original review: March 27, 2016

I got this product for my father and after buying many different ones he had told me that this hearing aid was the best and the sound quality was excellent. I believe after buying many different kinds of hearing aids that this one is up there in quality, probably one of the best ones that have ever been made. I have never had an issue with this product. Therefore I have not had an experience with someone in the customer service department. Maybe the product is so good no one needs service. I would have to say that this cost a lot of money. But I have been buying lots of different brands of hearing aids. So I am happy I found a quality product regardless of the cost.

Original review: March 23, 2016

It did what it was meant for and my parents are happy with it. (They are the ones that I bought it for.) It is a pretty good quality based on the price. The price was pretty good too and I am actually very happy with it. I did not have any trouble contacting a staff, when my parents needed help with their hearing aid, and the staff was very friendly. They tried their best to satisfy me. It does have a lot of value because it helped people like my parents that have difficulty hearing hear better and I consider it an investment.

Original review: March 19, 2016

I am pleased with the performance of my hearing aid because it reduces background noise and amplifies the conversation that I am interested in hearing. I have no more embarrassing moments where I don't hear what someone is saying and I no longer have to ask anyone to repeat themselves. My hearing aid device is small enough to fit into my ear of course, but it is small enough to be out of sight so nobody knows that it's there, but I know it is because I can hear everyone now. It doesn't feel like it's in my ear because it fits so comfortably.

I think they offer excellent customer service because their employees show actual concern about my hearing and well being and they give great instructions and troubleshooting advice if there are any problems like when I installed the batteries backwards. I am so happy with the price I paid because of the value I got for my money. IT WAS WORTH EVERY CENT AND MORE BECAUSE I AM FINALLY ABLE TO HEAR AGAIN AND I REALLY SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ONE SO much sooner than I did.

Starkey Hearing Aids Company Information

Starkey Hearing Technologies
      1967
      6700 Washington Avenue S.
      Eden Prairie