4.3/5 (34 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Lucid Hearing

Lucid Hearing sells prescription and over-the-counter hearing aids starting at $199. Many customers say its technology is easy to use, although that may not be the case for all users. And while it does offer a good number of OTC makes and models, not all customers will find an OTC product for them. Its prescription model is well established in the industry for those with moderate to severe hearing loss.

Pros

• Prescription and OTC options
  • HSA/FSA-eligible
  • Easy setup
  • Self-adjustable with Lucid app
  • Available at Sam’s Club

Cons

• May be expensive
  • Not many OTC options

Bottom Line

Lucid offers affordable options for those wanting to purchase hearing aids. It has over 500 hearing centers nationwide, mostly in Sam’s Clubs. Both over-the-counter and prescription hearing aids are available with a free exam.

What is Lucid Hearing?

Lucid Hearing makes hearing aids and related accessories. The company claims that its patented Powered by Lucid technology produces a more natural sound than traditional, compression-based hearing aid technology, and its multiple lines of hearing aids give you plenty of options for sound quality and comfort.

If you’re having trouble hearing, you can also visit one of the company’s Hearing Centers to receive a free hearing exam from a state-licensed hearing specialist or audiologist.

How does Lucid Hearing work?

While Lucid Hearing’s services can begin with an online hearing assessment, this doesn’t replace a hearing test from a licensed professional, so the real first step is to schedule a hearing exam at a Lucid Hearing Center located within a Sam’s Club. These exams are free, but you’ll need a Sam’s Club membership to purchase Lucid products there.

A hearing specialist uses your audiogram results to fit you to an appropriate hearing device and customize your settings based on your:

• Individual hearing test results
  • Unique ear canal acoustics
  • Loudness preferences

After your exam, you should be able to buy a new hearing aid in the store, but if you purchase a custom in-ear hearing aid, it may take up to 10 business days to get it fit.

Lucid’s technology automatically adjusts to fit your environment. You should be able to move from a quiet environment to a noisy environment without having to change your settings manually. However, it can take several weeks to feel fully comfortable with your new hearing aids.

Lucid Hearing products

Lucid Hearing offers both behind-the-ear hearing aids and in-ear hearing aids that are custom-fit to your ear canal. These hearing aids are capable of multichannel sound processing, which the numbers in the products' model names refer to. In general, processing more channels is thought to increase sound quality.

Lucid Hearing’s custom, in-ear hearing aids are available with 32-, 64- or 96-channel processors and in multiple configurations, including full shell, half shell, in-the-canal (ITC) and completely-in-canal (CIC) designs. You can’t get every processor in every configuration, though, so you may have to balance sound quality with other features that are important to you.

Lucid Hearing’s behind-the-ear hearing aids come with different processors capable of handling 16, 24, 48, 96 or 128 channels. All models are available in beige, gray, brown, black or pearl white, except the 16-channel model, which is available only in beige. Product features vary by model, but most are equipped with voice prompts, data logging, wind-noise reduction and ear-to-ear synchronization.

Except for the 16-channel model, all of Lucid’s behind-the-ear hearing aids also feature Bluetooth connectivity, so you can stream music and take phone calls from an iPhone or Android smartphone.

You can also use the Lucid Hearing app on your smartphone or tablet to customize your behind-the-ear hearing aid’s sound controls, including:

• Streaming audio equalization for treble, mids and bass
  • Ambient sound mixing
  • Selecting programs for various listening environments
  • Adjusting the volume
  • Controlling your left and right hearing aids separately
  • Checking your hearing aid’s battery level

Lucid Hearing prices

Lucid Hearing doesn’t publish the prices of its hearing aids, so it’s possible pricing differs from location to location. That means you’ll have to ask about the company’s prices when you go in for a free hearing exam.

At the very least, you’ll need to pay for a Sam’s Club membership if you don’t already have one. At the time of publishing, membership ranges from $45 to $100 per year, depending on which tier you choose.

Lucid Hearing FAQ

Does Lucid Hearing have a warranty?

Depending on the product, Lucid Hearing offers warranties that last for one to four years.

Do Lucid hearing aids work with my phone?

Multiple Lucid hearing aids are Bluetooth-compatible, meaning they can connect to both iPhones and Android smartphones for phone calls and music streaming. However, not all models have this capability.

You can also customize your hearing aid settings with the Lucid Hearing smartphone app, which is available on the Apple app store and Google Play Store.

How long do Lucid hearing aid batteries last?

Lucid’s rechargeable hearing aid batteries, which are available as an add-on, last for more than a full day of use between charges, and they can be recharged wirelessly in two hours.

Lucid hearing aids with disposable batteries will generally last longer, but exactly how long will depend on the model in question and the battery it uses. For more information, check out our article on hearing aid batteries.

Is Lucid a good hearing aid?

If you have mild to profound hearing loss, a hearing aid from Lucid Hearing is worth considering. Lucid Hearing offers a variety of hearing aids to accommodate people with different preferences, and features like Bluetooth connectivity and the company’s patented Powered by Lucid technology may sweeten the deal. Check out Lucid Hearing’s products to see if anything appeals to you, and if you like what you see, visit one of its Hearing Centers to get a free hearing exam and check out its prices.

Lucid Hearing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lucid Hearing?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

My hearing aids weren't correct to start with. When I went back to have them looked at, the first lady had already quit her job. The young lady that they brought in was trying to help me, and I kept telling her that they weren't correct. The company said, “Well, yeah, we can use these and try to make you some more.” They did and they were worse than the first ones I got. I told Susan, “You're going to have to re redo these because they're way too big for my ears because I have little, mini canals.” This is the third try and I only got these about a month now. So, I'm trying to work these out and see if they're going to work. If not, then I'll have to go with another option.

Susan is very good, patient, and a very sweet person. She’s tried her best. What was so aggravating, it took me so long. I started getting these in October and I never got them until December sometime. What I don't understand is why they start charging and it takes a month to get the hearing aids. I already got a payment before I even received them.

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Engage is close to my home and it also wasn't too ridiculous in price so I gave them a shot. The rep was very good and he convinced me to get the hearing aids because I had been putting it off forever. Before when there was background noise, I never knew what anybody was saying. If I wasn't looking directly at them, I would have no clue what was going on. Now, I can hear more conversations. I'm hearing stuff I hadn't heard in 20 years. But I might have to get the hearing aids adjusted down a little bit because everything's so loud. I thought maybe I'd get a little used to it but it's actually annoying. But other than that, the hearing aids are working out fine.

Lucid Hearing response

Hi Fred, So glad you're hearing better! You are able to make adjustments in the Lucid Hearing App to turn down the volume and using LucidShape make adjustments for certain environments - both of these should help with it being loud. If you need help with either of these, please see us at a Lucid Hearing center, or give us a call to speak with a licensed specialist based in our Dallas headquarters! thank you

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

Every one of the reps has been very professional and I was pleased with their services. With the hearing aids, I am able to understand words and voices better as well as TV and radio. I chose not to get the rechargeable ones because if I'm using them and they go blank, then I won't have to wait for them to recharge. I can put a battery instead. I usually keep batteries in my truck and in my house and at work. So that if I have a problem, I can change them immediately and go on with my conversations.

Lucid Hearing response

Hi David, glad to hear you have enjoyed the hearing aids and our service! We're here to help, don't hesitate to give us a call or come see us. Have a great day!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

I went to Engage to ask them what the basic start out price was for hearing aids and Nicole, the rep, gave me all the information. It was great customer service. I’d give her an A+ of going out of her way. I wanted to postpone and come back at a later date but she said she would go out of her way to stay there late for me to come in because I had weird hours. She showed me the difference between the top-of-the-line to the bottom-of-the-line. She also let me try the different ones out in the store. She takes pride in her work. There have been at least three people that I have told to get their hearing checked if they want hearing aids. I've had a few hearing tests done but I've never had one like that. It seemed to me like the hearing test with Engage went a little more in depth of what I was having problems with, instead of just beeps, with the voices, different words. It was completely different.

I've only had the hearing aids in my ears for about 48 hours. I'm still learning the tweaks and the things but I like the idea of being on my phone. Because the first day I wore them back to work, I went into the office and there was a bunch of guys talking in there, and it was extremely loud. I just pulled my phone out, turned the volume down a little bit and went on my way. Since using the hearing aids, there is a difference in the stuff that I heard. I never heard it clearly, crisp and as I did before. I'm very satisfied with everything so far.

Lucid Hearing response

Hi Blaine!! We're so happy to hear that you found our test comprehensive and superior to others you've had in the past and are hearing things you haven't been before. If you need any help I'm sure Nicole would be more than happy to assist, or you're welcome to give us a call to speak with a specialist! thank you

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

I got a flyer from Sam's Club and it had an advertisement in there for Engage hearing aids, and I've been looking for one for a while so I went over and spent over three hours with Matt. He was very helpful and I was very happy with him. My ears are a little sore because I'm not used to having hearing aids, plus I wear glasses, but other than that, I like that I can hear better. That is wonderful. They’re comfortable, too. I'm going back to see Matt on Tuesday. He wants to check them on Tuesday. So, he's keeping tabs on me, and he's a very nice, young man. I would recommend Engage. If anybody asked me about it, I will tell them that they work fine and the price is reasonable.

Lucid Hearing response

Hi Amy, so glad to hear that you're enjoying the hearing aids and Matt has been so helpful! Appreciate your feedback.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

I like the hearing aids. When I get on the app on my phone, it says that all I'm able to do is turn the volume up and down. It also shows on there I could change the different things on it, but I don't have that option. Raymond at Sam's was saying that for whatever reason, my hearing aids didn't have that particular option.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

The hearing aids were comfortable when they worked. But they worked intermediately. The cost seems to be on par with just about everything else but the quality is questionable at the moment. Right now, I'm about halfway satisfied, halfway pissed off. One works, one doesn’t. I'm fixing to send them back to the store tomorrow. I’ve taken it to Engage one time and they’ve done something, and the hearing aids worked for a week. Now, one hearing aid is shut down. You can turn it on and then it'll stay on for about 10 minutes, and then it shuts off. It won't do anything. It says it's still connected to the phone on the app, but you can't even touch it. It has static. It's just dead.

Hi Mr. Cowden,

How odd! We'd love to help you and get you hearing better. Please give us a call at 800 785 6052, or visit a Lucid Hearing center to speak with a licensed hearing specialist. We'll be sure to get you taken care of! Thank you

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

I'm on my second style of those hearing aids from Engage. The first ones that I bought, I didn't like at all. I had nothing but trouble with them. After almost three months of issues, replaced the first ones. I finally said, “That's it with that. Switch me to the lesser ones.” And those have been better, but I still have issues with the batteries.

When I put a fresh battery in, when it beeps saying that it needs a battery, I have to open and close that little battery compartment two times to get that battery to work. Then after about 10 seconds, it'll start doing that beep-beep-beep, like the battery is going dead. If I just leave it in there and just ignore that, a few seconds later it comes on and it's working fine. I'm not overly impressed with the hearing aids.

Lucid Hearing response

Hi Mr. Knowlton, I'm sorry to hear you've been having challenges with your hearing aids. Please give us a call at 800 785 6052, or visit us at a Lucid Hearing center and we will be happy to take a look and assist. Thank you for your patience - we look forward to helping you soon!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

The representative from Engage is excellent and very professional. The test was great. So far, so good. I've gone back once and had the aids adjusted, and Sarah really helped me out with that. My Engage hearing aids are a little bit higher quality. I put them in in the morning and I take them out at night and I don't fidget with them much. The cell phone thing that was on there that Sarah hooked up for me was a pain in the butt. I drive most of the time with my window open because I like the fresh air even in the summertime and when the phone comes on, the background noise is unbelievable.

Lucid Hearing response

Hi Dennis, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Glad you are enjoying them so far. If you need any help with the phone connectivity feel free to reach out to us, we're here to assist!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

I'm not absolutely thrilled with my Engage hearing aids. For some reason, my right one falls off of the Bluetooth. I had an occasion where I was in a noisy environment where they didn't block the sound, and they just started wailing in my ears, I had to turn them off and turn them back on, which I haven't reported yet. Other than that, they've been okay. I'm just getting used to them because now I can control them.

Lucid Hearing response

Hi Dave, sorry to hear you've had some trouble. For the noisy environment, I think it might be helpful if you try a different ear tip, or make an adjustment in LucidShape on the Lucid Hearing app. For the challenge with Bluetooth, I recommend unpairing and repairing. We'd be happy to have a licensed specialist speak with you and make recommendations, just give us a call at 800 785 6052 and we'll get these squared away.

Thank you!