4.7/5 (436 ratings)

About Americord

Americord is a private company that stores customers' umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placental tissue. Customers can have their stem cells collected, processed and stored with Americord and use them for future medical or therapeutic use. Its processes allow the company to preserve up to twice the amount of stem cells than some competitors.

Pros

• Simple and straightforward
    • FDA-approved
    • Innovative procedures
    • $110,000 insurance

Cons

• Little flexibility
    • Pricey

Bottom Line

With $110,000 in insurance coverage and no extra fees, Americord is a reputable and affordable option. While it's still expensive and its customization options are limited, its services are straightforward and simple.

Americord Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Choose Americord for cord blood banking. The process was pretty easy and direct, I felt good with my decision until I got a call saying they did not receive enough blood to save cells. Confused I contacted my delivering dr. And she said that was not possible that they do this all the time for people and have never had a problem. I call Americord back asking for more detail and representative could not even tell me how much was needed to be able to use it just that I did not have enough. I trust my dr. More than a rep who can’t even tell me exact details of how much they needed and how much was missing from my blood sent in. The company I choose ended up being able to save any cells for me. My family is very upset and question if we used another company if we could have our cells used. We lost an opportunity to possibly use it for a future family illness.

Americord response

Dear Vanessa,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. Let me first start by saying how deeply sorry I am to hear that our lab did not receive a sufficient amount of cord blood to process.

I understand the conversation you had with your doctor and can appreciate your doctor’s response. However, there are a lot of reasons why there may not be enough blood available in the umbilical cord at the time of collection such as delayed cord clamping. I understand the importance of wanting to save your child’s cord blood and we at Americord work hard to provide that service to each of our clients. However, it would have been unethical if we had proceeded with processing and storing the cord blood, knowing that it is not suitable for treatment if and when you need it for the future.

Nonetheless, I had an opportunity to review your account, as I wanted to be certain that we provided the best service. I listened to the call between you and the client service representative. I reviewed the photos of the cord blood bag that was sent to the lab and I spoke with our lab to verify the amount of blood that was received. Our lab technician explained that base on the 6ml volume of cord blood received there wouldn’t be any viable stem cells to cryopreserve.

The median size of cord blood collections is between 40ml and 60ml and with that volume, we can obtain 100 million and more in Total Nucleated Cells (TNC). Regrettably, your doctor was only able to collect 6ml from the umbilical cord.

I do regret that we were unable to process viable stem cells for you, but it was because we did not receive enough of the cord blood.

Sincerely,

Martin

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I tried to do research and going with Safe Step was a last-minute decision. The rep kept calling and I kept telling him I didn't want to do bank my baby's cord blood. But in the end, he convinced me to get it with him. He explained to me that some of it in the tissue might be used not only for the baby and the sibling, but parents and potentially, the grandparents. So when I realized the potential spectrum of the people that might be able to use it, then the likelihood of that actually being helpful and a useful investment became greater as opposed to wondering whether the baby would need it or not. The rep also said he was able to make it work and he did.

The whole process was very easy. Even with all the stress the day before the scheduled delivery date, it didn't really take much of my time and it wasn't that stressful filling the paperwork out. The courier came to the house with the kit within hours that same day, because I had to go to the hospital the next day. My husband did a lot of the stuff but when we got to the hospital, the nurses seemed to know what to do once we told them there was a kit. And we just called the number once the baby was born. All in all, it was a good price for the peace of mind.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

The setup was easy and the rep who helped through did a great job. We made this decision for our first child and then three years later when we were about to have our second child, I was able to reach out with a single email. She still had my phone number. She was very attentive to the timeline of having the baby and somewhat of the ambiguous nature of ones that may actually occur. On our second go around, we neglected to do it in advance. But she was able to help us get it completed expeditiously and in place within a few weeks so that we were prepared for our second child. They remembered who we were, paid enough attention, and at least took some note that even after so much time had passed, we were still working with the same agent and customer service representatives. I thought that was all the attention to detail I like to see.

The instructions were there in the kit so it was easy for the medical staff to collect the necessary samples. And then the courier component was just making a simple phone call and then they were there within a few hours to do that. It was one of the services that we were happy about and with and when that conversation came up, we made that recommendation to other people. Americord is not cheap but it's something that for the relative cost of what's the effect it could have on our children's life is priceless.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Some of our friends have already used Americord and they were happy with them. We went with them too and the rep was good. The one who picked up the kit was quick.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Americord’s pricing was better and they offered good payment plans. They also have different tissue options. The rep explained everything for us well so we knew all of our options and he set everything up for us. Americord has been great. We know that we have it if we ever need it. So, we like it. It is like an insurance policy in case we need it for our baby. It was a no-brainer for me. We’ve had a great experience so I would not change anything with it.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

A friend of mine told me about Americord. It was a backup just in case something went wrong. Price-wise, it wasn't bad.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I like that Americord was one of the only ones that bank the placenta. They met our expectations. They were great, helpful and very responsive. If I had any questions, they kept following up, both before I had the baby and after. They called me right away to let me know the results. They were also sending correspondence. They were very professional and we’re definitely happy with them.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Steven, the blood cord specialist we worked with, was good and he explained everything about what we have.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

It went really well with Americord. They were the one that kept popping up in terms of Google searches for companies that have been used. With something like cord blood banking, there's not a ton of people that has been doing it yet because of the cost so there wasn't a ton of feedback on it but what I did see was really positive. Plus, they had the additional option of placental tissue being collected and stored as well. The rep was incredibly communicative, knowledgeable, kind, and really customer service-oriented. He was very hands-on with the whole thing. If I needed anything, I could call and I knew that I was gonna be able to talk to him and have my questions answered.

I had a horrible C-section experience so I was pretty much out of the game. My boyfriend had to take over everything and it was easy for him to do even though he hadn't been part of the process at all. He could step in really quickly, call the numbers we were supposed to call and everything got taken care of and processed expeditiously. Now I know that our daughter's genetic material is there in case we ever need it.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

We used Americord before for my first son so we went with them this last time. They got their sample and that was it. Hopefully, I won't need them for anything. But it's good to have. The only thing that is a little bit frustrating is that when I had one child, they'd call and check in on me and it wasn't too much. But now that I have two kids, they've called rather frequently. It's almost a little bit of a disturbance to be caring for two kids and have them keep calling just to check on me, which is nice, but not really needed if I've not really needed the blood to be used for anything. One call is enough. Even beforehand, they were calling and asking me if I had any questions but I didn't need that much attention. That was the more irritating thing about the service, but everything else has been fine.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

We did cord blood banking with Americord and the process was easy (filling everything out and having the courier come and pick everything up). Doing it is in the best interest of your child and their health moving forward. Hopefully it's something we never have to use, but it's great to have just in case.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I used Americord because of the price and the customer service experience. The reps were good.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

My older daughter is banked with Cryo-Cell. They were very unprofessional when her dad went in there trying to retrieve the specimen without my permission. I lost trust in them and I saw Americord was more reliable and very professional. Because of COVID, the hospital wouldn't let the courier in to pick up the specimen. We were a bit stuck. We sent the courier out to one of the delivery ports that the trucks come up to at the hospital. We weren't allowed out the maternity ward. Otherwise, they wouldn't let my husband back in. It was lucky that I knew some nurses and we opened the door to the maternity ward, handed it across the line to the nurse and my friend, the nurse, had to go and deliver it to the courier.

Americord's terms are far superior to Cryo-Cell. It's just that they need some standard procedures with the virus and send them to the hospitals so that it's not this chaos to retrieve and store the specimen. There's no way Americord could have known that Tampa General was going to pull that stunt on us. Then I've had a C-section at two o'clock in the morning and I was texting friends that are nurses in other departments to try and get someone to run the specimen down. That was not an ideal experience but I don't blame Americord for it. They might need to talk to Tampa General and have them take a chill pill. It is a virus but it doesn't mean we have to behave irrationally.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I did Americord’s cord banking with my 3-year old first in 2017. We wanted to make sure we do something to the tune of continuity of care and we've seen a few good ratings online. Percentages-wise, it looks like there was some stability in how the samples were kept viable for later use even though most people don't need them, thankfully. That was one thing why we went with Americord. The price was another factor. Their pricing was more competitive than some of the others for this time period. I didn't like the thought of having to also keep paying for banking forever at such a high rate and getting a smaller discount for being a returning customer was one of the reasons that I stayed with Americord as well.

They understood where I was coming from. They were patient and I have been contacted quite a few different times, giving me very good directions on how to make sure that my husband and I banked everything. They worked with my schedule a bit to make sure that we got the kit early enough. After I'd mentioned that I was a repeat customer, the rep did go ahead and offer me the discount. Also, with me going on maternity leave, he did offer a payment plan that I could make monthly payments for a year or two. He was flexible, helpful, and very polite. He listened and remembered a few details about me so that was a little more personalized.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I was doing a few research and Americord was the one that I liked the most. They gave me a good option price. The customer service was good too. With my first daughter, I picked them. This time, I decided on it a few days before my baby was born. They helped me with everything and sent everything fast. I did it as a precaution. I hope that I’m never gonna have to use it. Everything was great.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Americord was great as soon as we decided that we wanna process the application. It was very quick and easy. Their rep was really clear about all the process, rates, and all of their packages. He answered all our questions and he was very nice, polite and really helpful.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

I wanted to do cord blood banking as a backup plan for my child and Americord was the only one that offered all three ways to preserve cord blood. Their reps have all been really helpful. They were really amazing when they picked up the kit and everything went great.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I’m a hematologist and I do some stem cell research myself. Even though there really isn’t a lot of use for these stem cells now, I’m very optimistic that there might be in the next several decades. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to bank these stem cells so I decided to do it. We did the cord blood banking and we also did the cord tissue. Americord had the soonest availability. I called a day or two before I was due and they were able to set things up for me and they sent me the kit that was needed to bring to the hospital with me on my delivery day.

Everything went smoothly except for the pickup time. I had my kit the night I was in labor, which was a Saturday, and they said that they didn’t do pickups over the weekend, but everything was stable. They said that they were gonna come pick it up on Monday at noon and nobody came. We had to call a couple of times. And I was concerned that if they didn't pick up on time, everything could be wasted. But at the last moment, they were able to pull things together. Then, they processed the sample and they called me with an update as to how many cells they were able to enrich and how many were stored. It’s quite a bit of money but they had a payment plan for me, which was fairly convenient. I didn’t have to pay the entire amount as one and I'm making an installment, which is fairly reasonable. It's worth it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

There was a rep who attended to me when I first called asking questions and he was great through the overall process. Then, I had to get back with my husband and the rep followed up. It was really nice to get that customer service.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Americord had a good deal at the time that I was looking online. The customer service was so friendly when I talked to them. They were helpful and they guided us. My husband dealt with the courier who came and said everything was good. We didn’t have any problems.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

My OB-GYN gave me some information about cord banking and we look up on the internet. My husband and I were amazed about the huge benefits about it. At first, we were kinda hesitant to get one for our daughter because we were both unemployed. But the good thing about it is that Americord had payment plans for us. So it worked out. They were very accommodating and very friendly. They made sure that if I have questions, it's being answered. My husband took care of the kit and he said that everything was very, very easy and accessible. So everything went smooth. The staff and the people who are actually working towards everything for us to benefit from it were all amazing. It gives us a relief and that we’ve secured the health of our daughter in the future. I love it. I'm very proud and happy that we know that she's gonna be okay.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I used Americord when I gave birth to my last kid and. I have two older ones. I did not do any cord blood banking with them because they're seven and five, and at that time, I wasn't really familiar with cord blood banking. My best friend's daughter died. She had sickle cell, and we did talk about the fact that if she had cord blood banking, she may have been able to do something for her. Once I found out I was pregnant, I said, “Well, that’s something I would have and make sure my daughter had in case she ever get sick or even her brothers,” because from my research, her brothers can use the cord blood as well, and even me and my husband. Cancer runs in my family and my husband's family.

Americord had good reviews online, and I also had spoken to someone who had used them. The customer service was really great. I've had two or three follow-up calls since I started banking with them in July. The initial person I spoke with when I called to ask questions and find out more about the program was very helpful. She was very polite and very knowledgeable. I liked that she had answers to all my questions and wasn't deflecting. I also liked the fact that I've had two or three follow-ups. I feel like if I had questions, it would be easy to get a response from them. I feel comfortable using Americord. There are no red flags and there's nothing that has been unpleasant, so far, as far as what I'm getting and the service.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

A lot of my friends had used Americord. They had a good experience. There are not a lot of differences between the services offered by all the other banks but we liked Americord’s customer service a lot. We like the rate that they gave us so we preferred Americord over the others. Our cord blood rep is wonderful. She is the sweetest lady I’ve ever talked to. She was very open about all the questions we had. She assured us that no matter what time we have a question and we want to talk to her, she's available night, day, middle of the night, which thankfully we never needed to. She was very reassuring, very forthcoming about each and every detail that we would need to know about the future of our child’s blood. In general, she's very caring, checked up on us and what we were doing. We've not had to use Americord right now because the baby’s just three months old. But I get the feeling that it would be a smooth process should we ever need to use them.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

My older son has leukemia. Americord was the one that I had always heard of and so I decided to bank my baby's cord blood. They always contacted me. They were always on time when they said they were gonna be there. They did exactly what they said they were gonna do.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I decided to bank my baby's cord blood because my first child has special needs. He was born with a cyst inside his head on his left temporal lobe. We weren't aware until he was three years old. Not only that, childhood cancer is very prevalent now. We had done a lot of research on stem cell therapy and we thought it would be smart to do that for our other kids because at some point you can use placental cells for stem cell therapy for people with rheumatoid arthritis. We thought it would be beneficial for our oldest, if anything did ever become legalized in the state, which we could do in other places. Stem cell therapy is legal in Panama and other different countries.

I chose Americord because they allow me to take it out whenever I want and to use as much as I want. I don't have to use the whole placenta. I'm also able to store the cord blood and the cord tissue which I wasn't able to do with the other banks. The rep was very informative and nice. I liked how he told me everything because that made it easy for me to decide who I was gonna go with. I knew how much more Americord had to offer than other banks.

I haven't had any real issues besides when I did get the box, it was a little hard. I wish I would have known a little more what it entails before I got the box, like what I'm gonna get in the box and what I need to tell my provider. We didn't really know what to do after we had the baby. We opened the box and it was kinda like, “What do we do?” There were instructions but at the same time I felt we should've known that we were able to hold and not cut the cord immediately. I would have liked to have known that.

There was one other thing which was my blood. I was supposed to have my blood taken before I ever went into labor. That would have been nice. It was just those two things that we were unsure of and we had to call to make sure we were doing everything correctly but everything was pretty easy. If you're planning on having a family and growing your family, Americord is something to invest in because it's not just for your kids, it's for you or your spouse or a close family member that might get sick and might need it. It's a great decision for your family.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I read reviews about Americord being good. Also, Americord is able to ship across the world. I'm from India. So, even if I had a kid in India, they would be able to ship the cord blood internationally without an extra cost. That stood out for me. With me being in a different country, free shipping will take a lot of burden. We were able to collect the cord blood early in the morning, and the guy from Americord came and picked it up on time. We got a feedback from Americord saying that the sample is good. Kristina called initially but it was a gentleman who closed the deal for us. I was asking him to match my deal with someone else and we went back and forth with the manager. Finally, he was able to close the deal. I was not satisfied with the process that much, but I was satisfied with the outcome.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

One of my husband's friends recommended us to Americord and everything looks good for us. The reps were well. They were answering all the questions so everything went good. We were expecting that they will get delivered on time and it was on time so we were happy with that. We did it for our future. It's always helpful if something happens to us or in our family. We can always take advantage out of it.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I was on the fence about banking my baby's cord blood. I talked to my OB and she said that it's totally up to me. But what I thought was interesting was that she also said that in the future, there might be more uses for cord blood because the technology is changing so much. If I could afford to do it, which I can, it's not a bad idea. We don't have a lot of diseases in our family that the cord blood could be used for, but it could be something that will be helpful. It felt like an insurance for the future. I did a Google search on cord blood banking. There was a website that did a side-by-side comparison and said Americord is probably the best fit for what I was looking for so I called and took it from there.

Americord followed up with me because due to COVID-19, there's a difference in the delivery and the pickup of the cord blood. Also, my husband couldn't run down the sample because if he left the room, they wouldn't allow him back in. When I talked to the Americord representatives, they were helpful. Then I had to speak to my own doctor and the labor delivery team explicitly about what they needed to do. It was something extra to manage, but it was fine.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

We had a good experience with the rep. I did it with my first daughter and this was my second time with Americord. If they got sick down the road, at least I have an option doing something.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

We decided to bank our baby's cord blood to be on the safer side because you never know down the line what things might come in. Paula from Americord was quite convincing and had a lot of knowledge about what Americord does and how other companies don't do those things at a very granular level when it comes to preserving those tissues and all that. That made us go over the thought once again because we were going to go through a different company before. Also, she gave us a good discount after talking with her manager, even if it was a COVID situation. She did a lot of good things for us.

Americord Company Information