4.7/5 (434 ratings)

About Americord

Americord is a private company that stores customers' umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placental tissue. Customers can have their stem cells collected, processed and stored with Americord and use them for future medical or therapeutic use. Its processes allow the company to preserve up to twice the amount of stem cells than some competitors.

Pros

• Simple and straightforward
    • FDA-approved
    • Innovative procedures
    • $110,000 insurance

Cons

• Little flexibility
    • Pricey

Bottom Line

With $110,000 in insurance coverage and no extra fees, Americord is a reputable and affordable option. While it's still expensive and its customization options are limited, its services are straightforward and simple.

Americord Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

We had some small changes during the actual collection sample and it was a very seamless process, so was the pick-up. The person that came and picked it up was all very easy, which was great because we were really stressed and new baby at the time. We weren't sure if he was gonna have to come into the hospital or not because of COVID. One thing to worry about is having to find him. But he was waiting right outside of our door for us just to drop it off. Americord has met our expectations so far. Our baby's cord blood has been banked and that's all we were looking for.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

The service has been good and they gave us good information. We think it's a good opportunity for our child’s health in the future or for us if anything comes up.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Americord seemed like a good fit when we compared prices and options. They were good about following up. Preserving the baby's cord blood is valuable if you have an instance where you have to use it and you're able to.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I did Americord for my elder son and I thought it would be better if I use the same bank for my second child as well. This is in consideration of future advancements and this might also help my children. Americord gave me what I needed. I got the package on time and they took the blood on time. They stored it and did all the necessary things that I expected. They did a count on the number of cells that they were able to store.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

We compared a couple of banks and Americord stands out more price-wise. Also, we wanted to do a placenta preserve and they were the only company doing that. The rep was really helpful, knowledgeable and understanding. He was informative and he answered all our questions. If something in the future happens, this could be a way to get our baby better health-wise.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

This was the third time I worked with Americord. Everything was good. The rep contacted me prior to the due date. Everything was clear. Then, on the day of the due date, we called them and they helped us right away. Not only that, but we were missing the doctor’s signature, and they told us not to worry about it, that they were going to get it. The courier got there even before the time that they have set.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

The rep was knowledgeable and he answered my questions. He was forthcoming with information. Working with him was a good experience. So far, everything's good. We're satisfied with our experience with Americord. They did a good job.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Americord had an easy process and everything was explained so that was good. The experience was very straightforward and didn't take a lot of preparation on our part other than letting the doctors know when we were giving birth that we were doing it. We didn't have to do much on the front end for preparation so that was nice. I had a C-section so afterwards I was a little out of it. My husband had to take the kit out to the courier because of COVID but it seemed to go smoothly.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I like Americord's programming a little bit better. It was hard to understand which one would be better but Americord was more active in trying to communicate with me about any questions I had. They were kind and always tried to make sure that they answered any of my questions as best as they could. They kept in contact with me ­if I had any questions. They were quick to email me or call back. We haven't had to use any of it but Americord was great at getting our box to us and helping us through it. They came and picked up our box at a timely fashion as well and told us that all the samples that we got were good. We're hoping we never have to use it but I'm glad that they have good communication in case we do.

Original review: July 16, 2021

We used Americord for insurance. I called them then the courier driver picked up the kit and left. We hope we don’t have to ever use it.

Original review: July 14, 2021

The person I spoke with was very nice and really outgoing. She was helping me with pretty much everything. I'm completely satisfied so far. I'm just still waiting to receive the $100 gift card for my friend that gave me the referral.

Original review: June 30, 2021

For a while, I was a little bit confused about between going with Americord and another company. I was pretty much sure about the technical aspects of Americord and I was convinced much before I approached them. Then, I called this other company who was offering much better services and all. But I called some of the technical experts of Americord and the way they explained, I thought they were better and they gave me a price-matching option.

Original review: June 29, 2021

The experience was good. I called for the cord to be picked up and somebody came in the hospital in an hour or so. It's a great service.

Original review: June 25, 2021

The Americord rep I spoke with was very efficient. He was great, answered all my questions and gave me all the information. The courier was good and very polite. It was a little confusing for him because he had come to the hospital and they were supposed to get it the night before but no one did. But it was quick.

Original review: June 16, 2021

Americord met our expectation and it helped us a lot in regards to like financial and they're always calling to update us to make sure that we don't have any questions. We really appreciate all that. Overall, it was an awesome experience.

Original review: June 10, 2021

The first time we used Americord four and a half years ago, everything was great. The second time around, three months ago, it took us a while to get ahold of somebody to pick up the cord. They kept telling us to not worry and that we have a certain amount of hours. But we don't want to be the last straw. We had to keep calling and we called five times to speak to a supervisor. It was stressful but it made it to the storage safely, which is all that matters. Also, the supervisor we worked with, Steven, was good. I was asked for my cell phone number and was told they'd text us when somebody is on their way and give us an ETA. It ended up working.

Original review: June 2, 2021

Americord was prompt in response and it seems to be a decent company and has a good history. We liked the idea of cord blood banking and the price options were reasonable, so we went with that. We can use that cord blood for critical medical situation. Americord is a great place to store your kid's cord blood and placenta, and the customer experience is pretty good too.

Original review: June 1, 2021

We googled the blood cord thing and we liked Americord. They gave us the best deal, price-wise. Our cord blood reps were thorough and reliable.

Original review: May 23, 2021

My experience with the rep of Americord was good.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Americord was a better value than the other companies and it was rated well. I chose to go with them and they were extremely knowledgeable and very patient in explaining everything to me. The courier had a little bit of trouble finding the hospital room we were in but he made it. He was very friendly and efficient. Americord has been very helpful. It's cute that they reach out on birthdays. They send holiday cards too. They'll check in from time to time about any questions I might have. Their website is really easy to navigate and I would definitely recommend them to anybody who is interested in doing cord blood banking.

Original review: April 10, 2021

We had a couple of cousins who had a baby last year and they chose Americord as well. We liked the price.

Original review: March 16, 2021

Cynthia, the Americord rep whom I worked with gave me all my options. She was wonderful and spent a lot of time going over numbers with me. The service is very valuable and it's nice to know that it's there. Everything is pretty seamless with the service.

Original review: March 11, 2021

We were researching cord blood. That's something we want to do with our first child. You don't know what hospital bills are coming in and you want to make sure that you have that liquid just in case. We looked at a few different companies and we didn't get very good customer service with some of them. Americord offered three different ways to store, that was different than some of the others, so we ended up going with them. We got a “Black Friday” deal because we ordered in November. They also offered us a really good payment plan because not everybody had $8,000 to just drop. We paid it off early after two and a half months.

I love that Americord was willing to talk to both my husband and me. They sent a rep straight to our hospital door to pick up the samples and I loved that they called us once they got it in the lab and they analyzed them. They told us the quality of it and everything they got from all the samples. It was fantastic. They got the best out of everything for all of us. Everything was fast and easy. In the first 48 hours when you're on zero sleep, especially after 21 hours of labor, the last thing you want to do is try to figure this out. So they were amazing. If I have a friend who's looking at cord blood, I'm definitely going to recommend them. I'm going to send them to my sales guy, Michael. He was phenomenal.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Even with our second time using Americord, they were very reasonable and fair in pricing. They knew we used them before. Everything was straightforward with the rep and it was painless with the one who picked up the kit. It was smooth.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I had a better price with Americord compared to the other companies. But when the reps were scheduled to come to the hospital to pick up the tissues, they couldn't find us in the system. My husband got on the phone with them right as I was trying to give birth. They were eventually able to locate me us in the system, but it took forever. My husband was on the phone for 20 minutes. They should make that situation about calling me up to locate us in the system faster.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

They were very good and helping. The boxes came in the time so I could bring it with me in the hospital.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

The people were friendly. They gave us all the details that we needed and did not push us to sign up. Then the shipment for the kit was pretty timely. The courier picked it up from the hospital. They came on the same day that we called them. We researched that these things are still experimental right now, but there is good evidence that both the cord blood and the cord tissue can become useful for things like diseases that are rising now in people. It’s like a one-time thing. Also, with prevalent diseases that people are having like cancer and stuff, the cord tissue or the stem cells from the cord tissue can be used for the parents as well. If they have siblings, it can come useful to either of them. We don’t want to have to use it, but if needed, it is there.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Americord was cheaper than the other options and the process was straightforward. I just had to give the box to the doctor and everything was taken care from there. I just had to call and they picked up the packet. They keep doing several follow-ups and one best things was I received a call two weeks ago which I did not expect. It was helpful because on the day the baby was born, we named him differently. After three days, we decided to change the name. When the rep mentioned the name, I told him the name was changed so they sent me the new certificate.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Choose Americord for cord blood banking. The process was pretty easy and direct, I felt good with my decision until I got a call saying they did not receive enough blood to save cells. Confused I contacted my delivering dr. And she said that was not possible that they do this all the time for people and have never had a problem. I call Americord back asking for more detail and representative could not even tell me how much was needed to be able to use it just that I did not have enough. I trust my dr. More than a rep who can’t even tell me exact details of how much they needed and how much was missing from my blood sent in. The company I choose ended up being able to save any cells for me. My family is very upset and question if we used another company if we could have our cells used. We lost an opportunity to possibly use it for a future family illness.

Americord response

Dear Vanessa,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. Let me first start by saying how deeply sorry I am to hear that our lab did not receive a sufficient amount of cord blood to process.

I understand the conversation you had with your doctor and can appreciate your doctor’s response. However, there are a lot of reasons why there may not be enough blood available in the umbilical cord at the time of collection such as delayed cord clamping. I understand the importance of wanting to save your child’s cord blood and we at Americord work hard to provide that service to each of our clients. However, it would have been unethical if we had proceeded with processing and storing the cord blood, knowing that it is not suitable for treatment if and when you need it for the future.

Nonetheless, I had an opportunity to review your account, as I wanted to be certain that we provided the best service. I listened to the call between you and the client service representative. I reviewed the photos of the cord blood bag that was sent to the lab and I spoke with our lab to verify the amount of blood that was received. Our lab technician explained that base on the 6ml volume of cord blood received there wouldn’t be any viable stem cells to cryopreserve.

The median size of cord blood collections is between 40ml and 60ml and with that volume, we can obtain 100 million and more in Total Nucleated Cells (TNC). Regrettably, your doctor was only able to collect 6ml from the umbilical cord.

I do regret that we were unable to process viable stem cells for you, but it was because we did not receive enough of the cord blood.

Sincerely,

Martin

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I tried to do research and going with Safe Step was a last-minute decision. The rep kept calling and I kept telling him I didn't want to do bank my baby's cord blood. But in the end, he convinced me to get it with him. He explained to me that some of it in the tissue might be used not only for the baby and the sibling, but parents and potentially, the grandparents. So when I realized the potential spectrum of the people that might be able to use it, then the likelihood of that actually being helpful and a useful investment became greater as opposed to wondering whether the baby would need it or not. The rep also said he was able to make it work and he did.

The whole process was very easy. Even with all the stress the day before the scheduled delivery date, it didn't really take much of my time and it wasn't that stressful filling the paperwork out. The courier came to the house with the kit within hours that same day, because I had to go to the hospital the next day. My husband did a lot of the stuff but when we got to the hospital, the nurses seemed to know what to do once we told them there was a kit. And we just called the number once the baby was born. All in all, it was a good price for the peace of mind.

Americord Company Information