2.66/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

West Elm

Looking for a good furniture store?

West Elm Reviews

Resolution response: Oct. 11, 2019

We realized that TWO credits were issued. Aside from less than ideal communications on the part of West Elm, we are satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

In March of this year, we ordered two of the Ombre Pop indoor/outdoor rugs, along with two rug pads. The rugs were very pretty on our sun porch, however, they proved difficult to clean. The vacuum pulled up great loops of thread, even with beater bar off and on low suction. In a brief time, the rugs became dangerous, with loose ends and loops that were a tripping hazard. We did repair by pulling loose threads through to the back with a crochet hook, but every attempt to clean these just made it worse.

West Elm customer service did respond quickly, we sent pictures, and West Elm sent pre-paid postage for the return. Unfortunately, customer service did not thoroughly read our e-mails, and assumed we were returning ONE rug and the pad, not two rugs. Eventually, that was straightened out, but it took a LOT of e-mails. We were told that a credit would be issued in the form of a gift card, to arrive within four weeks. The total paid for the rugs, on sale, was $110. No gift card arrived. We noticed a $65 credit on our credit card, after West Elm initially said it had been too long for a credit. There was never an explanation on this. Perhaps they charged for return shipping? Who knows? That doesn't seem fair.

Ultimately, it was like we rented the rugs from March to August, so we decided not to argue the point. All this could have been avoided with care instructions that had you simply shake the rugs out rather than try to vacuum. That's it for us with West Elm. We've ordered numerous times before and were happy with what we got, but one experience like this is one too many.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

4 Years ago I purchased a marble sofa table with a metal base. Over the last year it has become extremely unstable and most recently I noticed that the joints where the metal base come together have literally eroded away. I had no choice but to take the table out of my family room (in fear that the marble slab would fall on my 2 year old). I contact customer service and they told me that they cannot do anything because of how long ago I purchased the product.

I think it is absurd that a company can not stand behind their products and/or provide good customer service to a loyal customer. I have spent thousands of dollars at West Elm and this is how I am treated? You would think they could at least provide a discount towards a replacement. I am not buying another thing from this company.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

We purchased 2 pieces of furniture (a dresser & a bed) over a month ago. Delivery was scheduled 2 weeks ago for today. I received a call yesterday telling me that my order was only half complete, but that they would deliver the dresser today. I was also told I would receive an email telling me when the bed would be delivered. I never received the email so I called today. After talking with 2 different people, it was determined by West Elm that the bed would come on Sept. 30-obviously much later than I would like since my son is currently sleeping on the floor as we donated his old bed to charity since we were supposed to get a bed today.

I was just have to settle for the dresser (at least my son's clothes wouldn't be all over his room). No such luck. Apparently my dresser never made it on the delivery truck today. I found this out when I called West Elm for the 3rd time today... I guess the first 2 people I spoke with today didn't know this fact. I just waited on hold at West Elm Customer Service only to be disconnected by them after almost 25 minutes. I am beyond frustrated and can't even talk to a person who can help me.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

My wife and I ordered a dining room table, coffee table, and media console from West Elm. The modern farmhouse table claimed to seat 8-10 people, but it was so narrow that it would be impossible to have anyone sit across from each other with any food on the table. The legs were also shaky. It's purely a piece to look at, not eat on. The coffee table showed up with several large scratches on it and other blemishes all across the top. It looks terrible. I unfortunately have nothing to say about the media console because it never actually arrived to my house.

Their service has been of no help whatsoever. They shipped the table to the wrong address and took two weeks to resolve the issue. The joke of a dining room table is still sitting in my house because they still have not picked it up. The media console shows up as "arrived" in their system, so I guess some stranger somewhere is enjoying a scratched up piece of junk on my dime. I have not received a penny in returns yet. As an aside, we have purchased furniture from multiple other stores. We have not made a single complaint, so this is not our usual pattern. West Elm has now reserved a space right next to the almighty internet/cable providers as the official worst things on Earth. Congratulations West Elm.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

West Elm tells you that they will give you a 30 minute notice before delivery. THEY DON'T! I got a call when the delivery people were already at my house. I had to rush from work (which is luckily only 15 min away). When I got there, the delivery people refused to deliver my new couch. They were on the phone with West Elm saying I wasn't there, meanwhile I am looking at them! I'm on the phone with West Elm and they said I was late. But I never received the notice! I had no warning that they would be delivering at that time. We sat outside my building for 20 minutes like this. Finally they delivered, and in doing so broke a light in my elevator. I figured they'd clean it up on their way out, but of course they didn't. They just left. Despite all of these issues, and the huge fees I paid for "white glove delivery," West Elm didn't even offer to cover the cost of the delivery.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

This was my first big purchase and will also be my last. I ordered the pedestal marble coffee table and after it was set up, I realized the base had damages (scrapes, dents, black stains that would not come off). I called West Elm right away and the representative gave me the option of a discounted price if I kept the item. I agreed (didn't want to deal with the hassle or the company for that matter) and after all was said and done, she confirmed with me the total price I would be paying for the table after discount. I asked her to send me an email regarding our agreement and never received that email. After a couple of days I check my statement and realized it shows a different price than what we had agreed on.

After speaking to different representatives, and after being told I will be contacted (I never was), another representative confirmed the price I was given by the original person I had spoken to, only to be told she could not send an email confirming because they "can't send emails out." After speaking to other representatives, I continued getting different numbers as far as pricing. I can tell most of them didn't even bother reading through the notes, kept me on hold for minutes at a time only to end up back at square one very single time.

Lastly I spoke to a team leader who basically laughed at my frustration and told me there's nothing he can do for me. Extremely unprofessional, rude, inconsiderate and clueless representatives. Spend your hard earned money where it is truly appreciated and respected. I quickly learned that West Elm does not care about their customers and how they are treated. This coffee table is not worth the price, or the headache. Not to mention they are overpriced (now I know better). I was lied to and not a single representative cared to hold up on their word. I will never shop West Elm again. What a nightmare!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

If you are looking for mediocre furniture that is not cheap and is delivered with usurious shipping and processing charges then West Elm is for you. I placed an order for a small desk on sale at $270 and when the order was processed I was charged an additional $170 in shipping and processing...AND I only live 15 minutes from their store! Their customer service people while civil were completely powerless to cancel the order (10 minutes after being placed) and suggested that once the desk was delivered I could return it AND I would eat the $170 in shipping! Completely ludicrous. Never, never, never shop at West Elm. Bunch of crooks masquerading as a furniture store.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We ordered a king bed frame from West Elm, as the delivery window was within the same delivery window as our mattress. Immediately after placing the order, we got an e-mail that the delivery window was a week later. I called within 24 hours to try and cancel the order. I was told if I cancelled it, I would still have to pay hundreds of dollars in delivery fees. Both people I spoke to were incredibly rude and unhelpful. We didn't want to lose the money so we kept the order, hoping it would be here in time. They finally scheduled us a date and we rescheduled our mattress delivery to coincide with the same day.

The day of the delivery, they called us from our old address saying we weren't there. Someone in West Elm accidentally set our billing address as our shipping address. The delivery guy was super unhelpful, just kept saying customer service would call. They took too long, so I called them. I was transferred in the middle of talking & then hung up on. The customer service is quite literally the worst I've ever experienced. Brenda in the delivery scheduling department should 100% be fired, she's that rude. I keep trying to explain the mattress is coming, I can't move it once it's here. Nobody wants to help. Still no new delivery date. Still nobody to talk to. Quite literally the worst furniture purchase we've ever made. Never again West Elm, you should be ashamed.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I purchased the Enzo Reclining Chair about 2 years ago now. When the couch had around 4 months in our house, the storage arm portion broke. It is such a beautiful couch but the storage arm is very poorly constructed. I reached out to West Elm and sure enough they sent over a person because they would be able to "fix it". We paid nearly $3,000 - we should've gotten a replacement for such a short period of time of us having this couch! Either way, I agreed of course because I did love the couch. The guy came over, called West Elm to let them know that he could fix it. They made him leave because they couldn't approve it on the spot - he was a third party. A few weeks later, they called me back to make the appointment for him to come back to fix the couch. All I can say is that it was such a joke of a fix. I would say he patched it up.

He let me know that we should be extra careful with the way we open and close that part of the couch as it makes an immense pressure on the outer portion. Instead of it working smoothly, when you open and close it, the brackets basically push up against the wood inside the box. I don't know how else to explain this. Either way, we made sure we were even more careful than before. Needless to say, our couch just broke yet again. I'm over it. I was never offered a refund, just to "fix" the couch. This is unbelievable. Please stay away from West Elm couches. There's a reason you can't leave reviews on their website....

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I purchased the Andes Ottoman - Extra Deep to go along with the Andes sectional. One of the crossbars that spans between two legs split in the middle within two months of owning it. After taking apart, the crossbars are made with flimsy plywood with the grain going up and down, making it easy to split. It's a poorly designed and cheaply constructed piece of furniture that can't possibly last. West Elm refused to take any responsibility for the poor quality and did nothing to resolve. I will not be purchasing any additional furniture from West Elm based on this experience.

West Elm Company Information