toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I, like many of my age peers have been putting off making our own final arrangements thinking there is plenty of time. Guess what? You don't!! I was fortunate enough to have received a flyer in the mail for a FREE lunch and presentation from the Neptune Society. At first, I went for the FREE lunch, but then I figured, this would be a good time to take a look and see what I should have set up years ago, so my children wouldn't have to make my arrangements. I am glad I went, I met Brad **, a very pleasant guy and he put on a thorough presentation about Cremation. To my surprise, I paid way too much for my wife's arrangements, just about a year ago.

I met again with Brad afterwards and did all the paperwork and in about a half hour I was all set. I received all what I was expecting and more. I gave all this to my son and now I feel much better knowing that this will not be burden on my children when I pass. I would HIGHLY recommend going to one of these meetings and you will feel better. After all, what's the worst thing that can happen?? You get to find out what it is all about and you get a FREE lunch. This might sound like a commercial, but I really am satisfied.

My husband and I met with your associate. We learned about the services you offer... We had been thinking about what our children would do about our "remains". The presentation was professional yet personable... After all was discussed and questions asked, we were pleasantly surprised with the cost. We therefore, selected your services and are pleased with options you have.

We just joined Neptune. It has brought us peace of mind that we are helping eliminate some burden on our kids. Feel relieved. Elaine ** that came over was very helpful and made everything so simple. It was easy to understand and simple to sign up!!! We are telling our family about Neptune.

The sales representative that visited me, Joel **, was super efficient, helpful and seemed quite knowledgeable re the Neptune Society execution of my last wish: Scattering at sea. Although this is quite a sad decision and one that I have always dreaded making, he made it easy and stress free.

I want to tell the world about my experience of signing up with Neptune. It was fast and easy to sign the papers. I was explained every thing about the procedure and the price and I really liked the idea. So I say thank you Neptune for the opportunity and I will recommend you to others.

My Aunt passed away suddenly. She was Mentally Handicapped. We had everything paid for except the cost of cremation. We could not afford the cost that the funeral home was charging us, and Neptune Society cost was great and she is at rest now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neptune Society?

In my time of mourning, I had to make some difficult decisions about cremation. Ren was very comforting and reassuring that everything would be handled with respect to my daughter. I would definitely recommend Neptune Society to everyone.

My mother is 99 and has pre-planning service with Neptune Society and they have been so good and kind to her. So when my husband died suddenly, I decided to go with them since I had the experience with them and I knew the process. The people were wonderful and they really went out their way to help me. But reading all of these disclaimers and stuff right after my husband had passed away really upset me especially some paragraphs that sat me over the top. There should be another way to word it. Other than that, It's a comfort to know that when my mother passes, it's done and I don't have to worry about filling out 10 to 12 pages that I did with my husband.

My husband Richard recently passed away on 4/6/17. Mr. **, funeral director, was very kind, informative, and answered all my questions promptly. My family and I were very impressed on how everything was handled and graveside service was excellent. I received all my documents in a timely manner, and he was very kind and supportive at all times. Thank you.

I've worked with Neptune Society twice now for my father and for my stepmom, and they're wonderful. My father prearranged and prepaid their burial with Neptune Society in the 90's. So I followed what he told me to do. The first time, I had to drive with my stepmom all the way to Jacksonville when my dad died but they were great. The second time, when my stepmom passed away and I was calling Neptune, they were able to come to my home because one of their representatives lives nearby, so I didn’t have to drive all the way to Jacksonville. They had me sign the cremation permit, some final papers, death certificate, how many I needed, and just stuff that the state controls the cost. That made it easier because I work and had a lot to do in just a couple of days.

They made my life so much easier. They were very efficient, thoughtful, caring and honest. My dad had picked out a mahogany box. They didn't carry that product anymore but they were able to offer one that was very similar and they didn't charge me anything extra. It was an excellent experience with Neptune Society.

I like the setup of everything. My friend, who went with them did the pre-planning. They had a very good experience, just doing the pre-planning. So, when I did it, I went in there and I shopped for two others that were similar pricing. But it was the compassion of both ladies that were there. There were two of them that I worked with and they were very helpful with everything. They were very nice and personable when I talked with them. I really enjoyed working with them with this horrible time.

My parents lived in Florida and they bought a cremation package almost 20 years ago. They bought it from National Cremation which Neptune was linked to. My dad passed away two years ago and I moved my mom up to Ohio. When she passed, hospice took the card and they're the one who found out who we called here in Ohio in the Columbus area. It's been very good and positive with the Neptune Society staff. Don was the first contact that I got the day that my mom passed away. Within a couple of hours, he called me, gave me a lot of information and sent me his business card. I've dealt with him throughout the whole experience and he'd been very good. He was very thorough, kind and prompt. Everything he told me he would do, he got done. He also said to me whoever bought this package really did a good thing because he said the price doubled since my parents bought it.

With the pre-planned service, I knew exactly what my parents wanted and how they wanted it done. There wasn't any error to be made and it was very comforting for me not to have to try to make any decisions. I was very comfortable with the person that handled my mom's cremation. I never had to follow up on anything with him. He kept me in the loop, even called me when her ashes were transported and let me know when they were scattered. I told him that I should probably look into buying a cremation package myself instead of waiting. It's not something I shop around for but I will call them because I'm familiar with them at this point. It was an overall good experience and I would recommend Neptune Society to people.

I was very impressed by the way this was all handled. I had my doubts about this program going into it. My father bought into it for himself, so I remained skeptical. I called Neptune after his death, and throughout the whole process, I received excellent service and accurate information all within a very professional manner. Kathy, from the Palm Harbor location, was great to work with during my difficult times. It is because of their level of excellence that I have bought a plan for myself. My experience with them was enough to sell me on getting my own plan. Thank you Neptune!!

Both of the times that I had to deal with Neptune Society were prearranged. I'm in California and they were in Las Vegas. So, we did everything over the phone. They were very nice and efficient. My father prearranged it and I like the convenience of having everything taken care of when it does happen. They made it very easy and comfortable. I was really happy with it.

My father had previously made arrangements with the Neptune Society and when he recently passed, the Neptune Society took care of every aspect of the process. I spoke to a representative prior to his passing and made sure everything was in order and they took over from there. Everything was done in a professional manner and the staff was invaluable in assisting me in this process. When I arrived to collect his remains, I continued to be treated with kindness and compassion from the entire staff. It was a pleasure to do business with this company.

My husband was looking for a cremation plan and we got a hold of Neptune Society. They came out to the house and they were very polite and professional. We signed up for a plan and it was very affordable. Also, if we needed to make payments, we could have done that and they take care of everything from picking up, taking to the cremation place, calling social security and getting all that started. It was very helpful in all those things that they did. Everyone that I've talked to have been very nice and helpful. If I needed anything, I call them. They're a very nice company and they made the whole heartbreaking process a lot better.

Neptune Society

Lawrence, we know how important end of life arrangements are for loved ones and we deeply apologize for the miscommunication and dissatisfaction you experienced with our staff. Neptune Society always strives to provide the highest quality of customer service, and we are sorry that we fell short of your expectations. Although we hold our staff to the highest standards, we acknowledge there is always room for improvement. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Ensuring that your wife’s final arrangements are handled with respect and dignity is extremely important to us. It is our understanding that one of our arrangement counselors came out to meet you, and that he assisted you in preplanning for your wife. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns regarding these arrangements, as our team will be ready to assist you.

Original review: April 21, 2017

Called three times between 8:30AM and 10AM trying to get advance arrangements for my wife with terminal illness who suddenly became much worse while in Orlando area. Pam ** and Trina could not get anyone in their office in Altamonte Springs to assist me as I was willing to drive there to complete arrangements. They would not or could not understand or accommodate my situation, and repeatedly stated they would have someone get back to me. The funeral director did contact me but when I explained my wife had not yet died she terminated the call. After 2 1/2 hours of waiting I called back only to be told again there was no way I could be assisted. After further heated discussion Trina said "I will not continue this conversation and we will not help you" and hung up.

Neptune Society

Mary Anne, please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your husband. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate your feedback and are very pleased you were satisfied with our services. Take care.

Original review: April 20, 2017

My husband had a lady from Neptune Society come here and he talked to her, then agreed to use them. He bought the plan and paid the lady. When my husband died, they did exactly what they were supposed to do and we were very satisfied. They did an excellent job.

Neptune Society

Barbara, we wish to express our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your husband. We deeply apologize that we fell short of your expectations. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest level of customer service, and are truly sorry for any miscommunications or delays you experienced regarding our services. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. The issues you experienced have been escalated to our management level, and we will continuously strive to provide the utmost in service. If you feel there is anything further we can do to address your concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Original review: April 14, 2017

Account pay in full: Agent, did not have full info i.e., could have arranged with life insurance money, instead I had to make numerous calls to figure out how to rectify. Brought in my box, 1st visit, it had my name on it, I asked if it would make a difference/a box is a box. When ready to finalize and pick up, he told me he didn't have it. Notes he made on his "file" did not coincide with my notes. When asked how many pounds of ash (roughly speaking) would my husband produce, he told me since my husband was 250 pounds (he was wasted to 125 with his cancer), "Probably..." I stopped him right there. He would deliver my husband to the National Cemetery for Military burial, with all the mis/no information, I picked him up myself. Happy to pick him up, as I was able to fill his box with many mementos. (He did not EVEN suggest this.)

**My brain was foggy, just lost my husband (lost my son 354 days prior) grieving horribly. AND I had to do the research. The final thing: I was told several times that "he filed for my death benefit with social security", I asked clarification on my 3 visits. After 6 weeks of no death benefit, I went to social security and filed myself. I understand that these people are mostly "customer service" oriented. But this "representative" clearly has no business in this field. When I came in to pick up ashes or my husband, the creepy, "Are you ready for him", just put me over the top.

What I have learned: To have explicit details for my survivors how the NS works. To ask specific questions. To have everything laid out. 2 days before my husband's service, I remembered I had no "prayer cards" for the service. Seriously, why not add that to your list of things to do if you are doing the service yourself? Thoroughly frustrated. Our end went well.

Very pleased with the presentation to Neptune. Our coordinator was very knowledgeable and friendly. The whole experience was wonderful, and we are happy that our end times are taken care of, and our children will not have to deal with this.

Enjoyed the group presentation vs one on one. Able to hear others concerns and questions. Presentation was well done and answered all our questions. Nice to have final arrangements planned. Was comfortable with making an appt to commit. Very nice memento kit. Appreciate monthly pay plan.

My father signed up for and used Neptune Society. After he passed away, we had somebody that handled all of the associated tasks and everything was handled very well with Neptune Society. They were empathetic but no pricing was discussed because everything was prepaid. It was comforting to know that they were going to take care of everything and I didn't really have to do much of anything other than to call them and tell them that my dad has passed away.

Due to the uniqueness of our situation, I dealt with Jason long distance. ABOVE AND BEYOND. Jason and his entire staff went to the extremes to make sure that our family was treated with the utmost respect, kindness and dignity in dealing with the death of my sister's husband. This was over the Christmas Holidays and yet they were always available for us! Not to go unmentioned is how diplomatically numerous situations were handled with intruding 'drama makers'!

First experience was when my husband died in February 2017. Very impressed with the professional and compassion shown to me and my family, so decided to take care of my own cremation by a prepaid plan. Would recommend Neptune Society to anyone.

I had been thinking of taking care of my end of life business for decades. I had checked out the Neptune Society online many times. When they called, it was the right time. Everything was carefully explained, I felt no pressure (other than from myself). I feel confident that my body will be responsibly and respectfully taken care of and my children will feel support from the Society. I have recommended the Neptune Society to many friends.

We have had a Neptune contract for 12 or 14 years now. My husband passed away 4 weeks ago and our contract with Neptune was carried out to the fullest. His body was picked up from the nursing home, cremated and ashes delivered to me in less than 3 weeks. The only thing I was not prepared for was having to pay the cost of delivering his ashes to my home. I think this cost should have been covered by the contract. All in all it was as good experience as could be ask for during a stressful time.

My parents purchased contracts from Neptune when they lived in Arizona and because they had lived in Iowa and then we're in Arizona and didn't know where they were going to end up due to their health and that my sisters and I live in different states, they purchased the national contract. My father passed on January 17th. It truly was just one call and compared to other people who talked about their parent or loved one being placed in a zipped up bag, Neptune Society handled it with so much more dignity and respect. When they asked us to step out, they had dad placed on the gurney that was totally covered with a beautiful pearl keg. He was covered with a drape that was also embroidered. We were allowed to say our goodbyes. Then he was covered with a pearl keg and it was handled just so well.

My dad had a full head of hair and it was always very well-groomed so I cut some of that hair to keep as a memento. In all the confusion, I misplaced it and I called Neptune to the Atlanta office and asked if they would cut me some hair. They provided that for me and that really meant a lot. The team that came was very, very nice and compliant with anything we asked and made sure we understood what was happening. We were very impressed with that evening service provided. What we liked is that my parents bought that from Neptune quite a while ago and there were no additional charges. They provided the death certificate and took care of everything.

Reverend Jim ** is the most sensitive and compassionate person! He has an excellent listening ear and shares such useful information in order to make the best decisions. Why leave this matter to your loved ones who are already grieving and distraught? I love the concept (Cremation Services) and am pleased and proud I made my arrangements myself. By the way, I am a healthy person!

My mother took advantage of Neptune's preplanning services and she did it early on. Sheila was very nice. We met a couple of times and the rest was over the phone. She brought the ashes to me here at work because I work so much. My mom had everything taken care of and working with Neptune was so easy, they were great and quick. All I did was make the phone call and they all took care of the rest.

My mom and dad bought a pre-planning service package from Neptune Society. I like that it made it easier for me and my mom when my dad passed. It was all taken care of and paid for so that was nice. They had the boxes that they wanted, which just made it easier as we didn't have to think through all of the little decisions. That was helpful to me because my mom was checked out. Also, their customer service was professional and answered all our questions. They did a great job, they got what we needed right away and they were fast. The girl there was very accommodating and all the staff were nice too.

Many years ago I signed up for Neptune Society. That's when we were living in the South land. We moved to the Central coast about a couple of years and my husband signed up for it too which I'm thankful that he did when he was still here. My husband passed away in the hospital and they called me to tell me of his passing. I had been prepared for something like this but it was still very abrupt to face the reality. I called my son because he was in the office. He called me up and I said, "Come pick me up. We need to go to the hospital." I grabbed the folder where all my husband's paperwork was and we went to the hospital. I'm glad that I did gave it to my son to carry because we gave them to the people at the hospital. They, in turn, contacted the local mortuary who in turn contacted Neptune. So, that was taken care of for us. I was extremely thankful that that was one thing we didn't have to do.

The other thing that I was very grateful for was that Neptune took care of placing in the newspaper the death announcement. We later on did the Obit, my daughters took care of composing the Obituary to send in to the Santa Maria Times. I was also thankful that they took care of the death certificate. And John from Neptune called me up and asked me how many death certificates I wanted besides the ones that are provided by Neptune. So, I said, "Well, I don't know what's customary." So he named those that would require like if there was a company pension, how to do that, and banks and so on.

Another thing that was also very touching was John asked me if my husband had served in the military. So, I said he was a Korean war veteran. And he said if I would like an American flag. Which of course, I said, "Yes." But that took awhile to get here. I had to call John three different times to remind him. In this case, it had nothing to do with the Neptune operation. It had to do with John and I sent him an email each time. So, I just recently got it and I was very glad. My son happened to be here when the box came, which I'm glad he was because I was able to hand the flag for him to keep.

Expert Review

David Chandler, Ph.D.ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.    More about David→

The Neptune Society is one of America’s largest providers of cremation services. The company was founded in 1973. Its headquarters are in Plantation, Florida. The Neptune Society has over 45 locations nationwide.

• Cremation planning: The Neptune Society offers cremation planning services. These services help people develop a funeral plan.
  • Immediate needs services: The Neptune Society offers immediate need services. You can either report a loved one’s passing online or call Neptune Society directly.
  • Service for veterans: The Neptune Society offers special services for veterans. They help families with VA reimbursement for services, headstones and certificates.
  • Online resources: The Neptune Society website hosts a number of online resources. These include articles and information about cremation and funeral planning.
  • Resource videos and guide: Neptune Society provides informational online videos about cremation and funeral planning. You can also request a free planning guide.
  • Best for those planning for cremation, those needing immediate service and families of veterans.

Neptune Society Company Profile