toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I live in Southern Oregon, my mother died in Tacoma. I was unable to travel to Tacoma and made all of the arrangements long distance. John ** did an outstanding job working through all the details through telephone, text messages, and email. John made what was a difficult situation easy. He followed up on all the details and we reached a successful conclusion. I had high expectations of the Neptune Society and they were exceeded.

Good morning Linda,

Thank you very much for the information that you have provided and again I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered. Please know that we do respect you and your family and with the experience that you encountered, I don't want you to have a bad impression of us. Amanda our sales manager did reach out to you and left you a voice mail, to provide an apology and reassure that this won't happen again. Now, I am confirming that I have successfully removed your phone number from all of our records and you will no longer be bothered. I appreciate your feedback and your time. Have a great day.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Have received several telephone messages from a Barbara ** requesting I call her back... doesn't identify why and acts like a friend. I answered the phone this evening and she hung up. I called her back and told her it is unprofessional the way she calls and fails to identify herself... also, not to call me again. I had wanted cremation information for my husband and myself... but disappointed in the customer service skills or lack thereof in providing information. Will look elsewhere.

PRE-PLANNING CREMATION - I recommend this to everyone I know. Several years ago, my elderly father who was living with my husband and I, handed us a Neptune card when we got home from work. He had pre-paid everything to make it easier for us. And 4 years later, all I had to do was make a phone call. So when my husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer, we pre-paid for his. Again, during the worst day of my life, I gave the ICU nurse my card and she called for me. Since then I have pre-paid my own, so that it will be easier for my niece.

I was very pleased with the kind and sympathetic service I received. Everything was done so professionally and without any glitches. Everything was on the time schedule they indicated. I have already recommended your services to others.

Neptune Society

Please accept our condolences on the passing of your father. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are happy to hear that you were satisfied with our services, and honored that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I am thankful for the Neptune Society's assistance with planning the final arrangements for my father. Being a first time planner, the staff were compassionate, and provided step-by-step assistance. Thank you Neptune Society and your amazing staff!

Neptune Society

Karen, I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered of not trusting our pricing, but I assure you they are honest prices. I am glad that John was able to reach out to you today and reassure that all is safe with our purchased pre-plannings. If in the future you ever have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me at Online.Reviews@scidirect-us.com as ill be more than happy to help you. I hope you have a wonderful day. We appreciate your time and feedback.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I felt that from the moment I had a conversation with a salesman, this was a hard sale situation, with the added pressure of time constraint due to "special deal". There were questions I had regarding the way the charges were listed; i.e. "merchandise" which was a very large amount. These questions were not answered until I asked several times and refused to take an answer such as "my little bit of commission, paperwork, etc" which in mind is not merchandise. When pressed by the salesman's boss, I was told that the amount quoted under merchandise was there so that it would not be included in the trust, in other words, Neptune could spend it. I don't know if Neptune provides a good service. I suppose I will find out when my mother passes, as she bought her cremation services 20 years ago, when Neptune had a different way of doing things. I cancelled mine because I don't like dishonesty or unethical practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neptune Society?

Neptune Society

Cheryl, I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered of not receiving any acknowledgments from our part and for us not answering to your phone calls. I am glad that Jim was able to reach out to you today and reassure that you will get your Momento kit any day now considering usually takes about 15 or so days to arrive and you will also receive your permanent Neptune card and permanent paperwork mailed to your house as it usually takes up to 4-6 weeks after signing up. If in the future you ever have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me at Online.Reviews@scidirect-us.com as I'll be more than happy to help you or call Jim directly as he provided his personal cell phone for you to have as an open option to reach us at any time. I hope you have a wonderful day. We appreciate your time and feedback.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I signed up with a representative on June 30, seemed a great guy. I have not received any acknowledgement from Neptune Society. I have phoned, no return call. PLEASE CONTACT ME AS I AM MOVING. PLEASE PROVIDE THE CONTACT NAME AND PHONE OF YOUR REPRESENTATIVE. Thank you.

Given the gravity of losing a loved one, I have found that the funeral director and sales representative for the Neptune Society provided the highest quality services that I have come across in a long time. Most importantly, they were respectful of my situation and efficiently carried out the necessary tasks without any worries on my part. Mr. **, the funeral director, kept me apprised of each stage of the process. I had confidence in his expertise and was not disappointed with the result. I definitely recommend this service!!!

My father died recently. It was a horrible and unexpected situation and my family was not prepared. The Neptune Society took care of all of our needs and gave us information on what we needed to do to get everything in order. They were patient, compassionate, and beyond helpful. They made the worst experience of my life bearable. I'm very grateful and I highly recommend this company.

I feel secure and comfortable knowing the Neptune Society is very well established and accredited with the Better Business Bureau. When I spoke by phone with Joe a couple of times he was always helpful and easy to communicate with each time. Once I had decided to choose Neptune, they were flexible in where I could meet with them. Eric did a great job of personally meeting with me and answering any additional questions I had. Both my family and I are very glad I have signed up and made arrangements with the Neptune Society.

The CSR was a very friendly, informative and extremely thorough when representing the Neptune Society's products. She was patient and addressed all our concerns, and was concise with her answers. When I posed a question she could not answer, she called a supervisor to resolved my inquiry. Over all, I was pleased with the way the CSR presented your product, which made our choice to move forward with the purchase of our end of life package easy. Now, my spouse and I have a sense of peace knowing that in our time of need, we will be taken care of and our end of life issues will be handled seamlessly.

I contacted the Neptune Society because I wanted to make sure that my death carried as little periphery damage as possible. My sons both live abroad and I didn't want them to have the added burden of making my final arrangements. I travel a lot and the fact that my remains would be collected and cremated from anywhere in the world is a comfort. The one major complaint I have is that I find it intrusive and objectionable that I have to keep the cremains container in my home. Surely there could be a better arrangement.

In difficult times it is greatly appreciated when someone has the knowledge and ability to take over. Ren was such a person. She saved our family a great deal of sorrow. Thank you for your highly competent management of a very emotional situation. Blessings. Thank you.

I was not expecting such a great group of people. My husband was very ill and it was hard for me to focus on end of life decisions. They walked me thru all the details with such compassion and detail. I would highly recommend them to anyone that plans on cremation.

My experience with the salesperson was very good. She was pleasant, informative, not aggressive. It would have been nice if the final ID cards had arrived more quickly, but I was assured that the temporary ones would "work" if the need arose.

The Neptune Society (Jacksonville, FL) was very helpful. The service was very sensitive to the sudden passing of my husband. They took the time to explain what will happen and who was available to help me and my family at this difficult time. Truly, all I had to do it dial the 800 number and the details were taken care of which provided me with a great deal of comfort. I am very grateful that my family/children will have access to the Neptune Society's services when pass away.

When my mother passed away suddenly in Florida, and myself being located in Chicago, dealing with this situation is already incredibly tragic and difficult. The Neptune Society was incredibly caring, and HELPFUL! I really cannot emphasize how manageable they made a difficult situation, and how they handled everything from beginning to end. I literally don't know how we would have dealt with everything without their services, without Will ** and his incredible staff. Thank you, everyone, for your assistance during this difficult time. I would highly recommend The Neptune Society pre-planning to anyone, and I've been recommending this valuable service to friends, particularly those who have family that live great distances away that they care for.

Some friends of ours had used Neptune Society. We used their pre-planning services, as well. They were very efficient. And their team was very courteous and helpful when we interacted with them.

Our experience was great. Dave was very nice to work with. I referred three people who also bought plans through him. I was told I would receive $50.00 per referral which I have yet to receive. When can I expect that? Would definitely recommend Dave and the Neptune Society again!

Our experience with the Neptune Society was our first. However, because of our recommendations, many other family members and friends and co-workers are now leaning toward considering cremation when the time comes. Amy and Ren were great; they explained everything, took the time to answer questions, were available when we called or forgot something, and made us feel that they were there to take care of us. And they did. I know they probably feel like they were just "doing their job" - but in a situation like the death of a loved one, going the extra mile with people who are bewildered at the process means a lot. I highly recommend the Neptune Society. We did not have to worry or make phone calls or visit the coroner or the state vital records office; all of that was taken care of. Thank you, guys, for making a difficult time of life much easier to cope with.

We heard good things about Neptune Society. My significant other did all the research, and once he signed up with them, because we want to be scheduled together, I felt that I had to use the same organization. When Wanda came they talked about my doing it but I had to wait for a while because I need to pay for it. And then Joel called me and we started another nice relationship. He was very kind. He kept on reminding me, calling me to see if I was ready. And then when I was ready, he came over and did a wonderful job signing me up. Joel took down our wishes and he knows exactly what we want and he put it down on our file. However, I don't like getting the urn. That makes me feel dizzy about it. But Joel explained to me that that was necessary. Also, the only thing I haven't received yet is my actual cards. I've been signed up with them since April so I thought I should have them by now. But they're doing a good job and I had a very good experience.

My aunt, who I acquired the Neptune Society for, was at an assisted living. I found out at the last minute that my aunt didn’t have a cremation. The manager of the assisted living had dealt with a couple and Neptune was one of them. He told me to go look at Neptune's website because it was a good way to do the cremation. I did that and put my name in there for contact and it all evolved from there.

I've had marvelous interaction with everyone from Neptune. They saved my life. That’s a funny statement but it’s true. From the time that I got the phone call from a woman who sat down to share her knowledge and tell me what Neptune was. She was helpful in every way and helping me understand even about assisted living. She was experienced everywhere. She was also talking to me about cremation. Although I have some knowledge of cremation because I had set it up for my mom. That was a long time ago and I was scared then, but now, I had a woman sitting in front of me who really took the time and it was wonderful.

I saw this woman on a Friday. I purchased the cremation that Friday and that Sunday, my aunt passed away with. Then I got a phone call from the hospital and they asked me what would they do with my aunt. I told them to call Neptune Society and Neptune would tell them what to do with my aunt because I didn’t know what to do. My aunt already had a place to be buried, she just needed to be cremated. We didn’t even have the check yet because the check was just handed to the lady on Friday. But then that was taken care of and a couple of days later, I got a phone call from John and he helped me from then on.

John called and talked me through the paperwork and death certificate. He was very helpful all the way through to the point where he scheduled her burial with the Tolman National Cemetery where her husband was buried as a veteran. John had that setup and I didn’t have to take her there. He was the one who took her there and I watched there the day of the burial and it was the easiest thing in the hardest time in your life. I couldn’t be thankful enough. I'm very satisfied with Neptune, they made my life very simple.

I was disappointed when I received my paperwork back from the Neptune Society. I had signed a bunch of papers but the one that they did not return to me was the one with the actual amount that was charged to my credit card. Instead I received some fictitious payment schedule that made it look like I was financing the purchase and was for a different amount than what I actually paid. I understand they have to keep a certain amount in trust but I think I should get a receipt for the actual amount of the transaction. This is not a used car purchase. I expected them to be more up and up than they were. Otherwise, it was ok.

Excellent presentation and great communication from Don ** both in person and every time we called for questions. Program met our needs and gives a sense of relief that our kids will be relieved of responsibility to make difficult decisions.

I'm retired so I had nothing else to do and my wife passed away about a year ago. The cremation service was something that was like at the back burner. When I saw that there was a free lunch being given by Neptune, that got my attention. I decided to go and see what was going on. I listened and asked questions. They gave us questions and even threw out some numbers on what the cost could be. But I didn't make my decision there. There was no pressure and I talked to my son and my daughter-in-law and they said, "Well, whatever you want to do, pop." I thought about it and checked with another place but Neptune seemed to be the right place to go.

I also looked up their reviews and there were a couple ones that were bad but to me, it was not something that was a problem but something that they like to nitpick. For instance, a guy died somewhere else and Neptune had to charge them extra to bring him in. But it says right in the contract, it's only a 50-mile radius. But they didn't want to pay the extra charge to transport the ashes. The good reviews were great, though.

Afterward, I called and made an appointment to meet with Neptune and signed all the paperwork and gave them a deposit. About a week later, I got the stuff I was supposed to get. Everything was nice and smooth. I set up a payment plan and it was reasonable. I'm able to afford that at this time so hopefully, in my passing, my children will not be burdened with that. It worked out great. I feel very comfortable now and I'm not worried about it.

My package was a plan for your last request so I have a plan that I've been working on. There were also a lot of stuff that they gave that I didn't expect. There was a box they gave where you to put your remains in and it was better than I expected. Overall, there was no confusion and no bait and switch. The numbers given to me were the numbers that we went with and they changed very little. It was simple and easy and was a very good experience. I suggest to anybody who is considering it, to at least go and have the free lunch.

When my aunt passed away, we had everything pre-arranged at the funeral home where she was at except for her cremation. The cremation was more than we could afford at the funeral home where she was supposed to be interred at and they suggested we check a few places that might be able to do the cremation at a little bit more in our cost range. We found out about Neptune Society and chose them because of their price and they could cremate and send her to the funeral home where her plot was.

They kept us well-informed about what was going on and anything that we needed to do during the whole process including when it was to be shipped. We also paid them in advance and they accepted my aunt’s body. It arrived where she was being interred and told us it was there and we could view it getting placed on the ground and everything was then finalized. They were very respectful and made it very easy for us to understand. Their price was really affordable for us. It was a very wonderful experience and easy transition with what we needed and helped us make it go very smoothly.

Communication between me and the Neptune staff that I was working with could have been somewhat better. Too often it was necessary for me to initiate phone calls to find out what progress was being made toward closing this case.

The young lady that took care of me was great and I had spoke with her a year ago. And this year I was able to purchase my cremation packet. I did not want my sons to have to worry about it. It put peace of mind for me. That all of my wish will be taking care off and my arrangements. Thank you, Neptune.

I only wish my experience with everyone else I had to deal with could go as well as dealing with the Reno Neptune Society. They were caring, efficient and handled the situation with kindness but also professionalism. At such a sad time, they made the necessity of their services easy.

The person that helped us was so very understanding and patient with us. My mother in-law died and we had to make a quick decision. My husband's cousins were very impatient and unkind. The associate at Neptune, Carolyn ** was understanding about our needs. She made a sad time easier to manage.

Marliys was amazing! She took care of every request and made the process so much easier. She was prompt, courteous and executed the entire process flawlessly! Highly recommended!

Expert Review

David Chandler, Ph.D.ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.    More about David→

The Neptune Society is one of America’s largest providers of cremation services. The company was founded in 1973. Its headquarters are in Plantation, Florida. The Neptune Society has over 45 locations nationwide.

• Cremation planning: The Neptune Society offers cremation planning services. These services help people develop a funeral plan.
  • Immediate needs services: The Neptune Society offers immediate need services. You can either report a loved one’s passing online or call Neptune Society directly.
  • Service for veterans: The Neptune Society offers special services for veterans. They help families with VA reimbursement for services, headstones and certificates.
  • Online resources: The Neptune Society website hosts a number of online resources. These include articles and information about cremation and funeral planning.
  • Resource videos and guide: Neptune Society provides informational online videos about cremation and funeral planning. You can also request a free planning guide.
  • Best for those planning for cremation, those needing immediate service and families of veterans.

Neptune Society Company Profile