Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My mother was elderly. She was starting to deal with Alzheimer's and we knew her health was going downhill. And she had utilized Neptune Society to kind of set things up prior to her passing. But never having to deal with a death that close that you're having to plan everything, I don't know what my brother and I would have done because this was totally new waters for us to have to try to swim. And having a lot of things planned out and taken care of, made it so much easier that there was less chances of mistakes or problems, and we were just able to go and deal with the moment, the grieving, and the family. At the time that was more important to us.

Julie, out of Kansas City, was wonderful. She really went above and beyond in helping us through everything including additional death certificates and things that we might need. Almost kind of held our hands. It took a lot off our shoulders. And my mom had set it up, so we knew that it was a lot of her things what she wanted done. So, there wasn't any second guessing. Death is never an easy experience. But Neptune Society tried to make this as peaceful and comfortable as possible. I would definitely recommend them.

Neptune Society called me and I decided to go with them because I've always heard good things about them. The representatives came to the house and we went through from there. It was for pre-planning services as I didn't want our kids to have to go through that. Overall, everyone from Neptune was very kind and helpful.

Your rep. should be a Notary. My wife and I both had to purchase the cremation box, that we didn't need or want. We were told the box couldn't be separated. We had no choice but to purchase the box.

My mother purchased a pre-arranged cremation through a National Cremation Society and they got bought by Neptune Society. Their rep was very helpful and he delivered my mother's remains to the house here. So, it was a good experience. Their pre-planned service was very helpful for me. We didn't have to discuss what we're going to do. My mother and stepfather had already taken care of everything. So it was a burden relieved.

The employees, especially Jaye was so easy to work with to complete the paperwork and start the process of my husband's Cremation. I would recommend the Neptune Society to anyone who has to make the arrangements for the final goodbye.

I would give Neptune Society five stars. They were wonderful to work with and we appreciate everything they did. My family had a wonderful service and everything was handled and done in a professional manner with heartfelt love.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neptune Society?

Neptune Society

Sandra, please accept our heartfelt condolences for the loss of your mother. Thank you for taking the time to post your review online. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased you were satisfied with our services. Take care.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I was very pleased with the service provided by the Neptune Society when my mother had unexpectedly passed away. They were very sympathetic and knew how to walk me through a process I was not familiar with. Very affordable also. Great staff.

Kathleen was very helpful while answering all our questions about the services provided. We travel outside the country and having the service outside the US was important to us. She made the entire process very easy and pleasant. Thanks Kathleen. You helped our entire family because of these preparations.

Neptune Society

Dianna, we apologize for any dissatisfaction or delays you experienced, but are so glad to hear your issues have been resolved. Thank you for taking the time to post your review online. We appreciate the feedback and are very pleased that you are satisfied with our services. Take care.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I did not remember agreeing to an automatic payment plan when I signed up for services. On March 7, I went into my Neptune account online and made a payment using my debit card. When checking my bank account, I noticed more than one debit to Neptune. I contacted the payment service to get the debit card payment refunded, and was told there was nothing that could be done. I then called the Neptune billing office, and the agent I spoke with advised that he would have his manager contact the PSN processing center to get a refund issued. It has taken a few days, but I have found the refund in pending transactions on my bank account. My faith in the Neptune Society has been restored!

Neptune Society

Peter, thank you for taking the time to post your review online. We appreciate the feedback, and are so pleased that you were satisfied with our services. Take care.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I've used the cremation service three times now. I find them very courteous, prompt, and affordable. Providing all the necessary paperwork needed. I would and have recommended them to anyone needing their services.

Neptune Society

Thank you for taking the time to post your review online. We appreciate the feedback and are very pleased that you were satisfied with our services. Take care!

Original review: March 13, 2017

Always a difficult day time dealing with final arrangements for a loved one. Yet Neptune Society, especially Mrs. Sheila **, made it as smooth as possible. Prompt, respectful, and complete dignity are the best words to describe Neptune's handling of my mother's final disposition. They have my highest recommendation.

Neptune Society

Marion, thank you for taking the time to post your review online. We appreciate the feedback and are very pleased that you were satisfied with our services. Take care!

Original review: March 13, 2017

I was provided an overview of the services provided, their costs and option for payment of same. The representative was very informative, personal, earnest and a gentleman. I will continue to recommend this service to others.

My mother signed up with Neptune Society and I executed her decision. I was skeptical because I hadn't been in contact them. I knew what my mother's wishes were and I really didn't know what to expect when I started the ball rolling, but Neptune Society was wonderful. They explained the process and there were no issues. They are excellent.

Resolution In Progress

Neptune Society

Laurel, please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your husband. We deeply apologize for any dissatisfaction or delays you have experienced. It is our understanding that our District Director and Location Manager have addressed your concerns and seen to it that the services were fulfilled. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions or concerns, as we will be happy to address them. Take care.

Original review: March 8, 2017

My husband passed away suddenly Feb. 9th. It is now March 8th and I still do not have his remains or his death certificates. There has been one excuse after the other. For one of the largest cremation companies in the US they should provide better service and should be more prepared for dealing with Canadian customers. I would never deal with this company again. They do not return calls or respond in a timely manner to emails. Just how am I supposed to deal with this. They suggested I come down to the office. That is 1300 miles away from where I live. The issues go on and on. Too many to list here.

I found Neptune Society online. It was convenient since it was close by, and they were very responsive. All of my interactions with their team were great. They handled it wonderfully. In fact, I plan to use Neptune in pre-planning my own cremation.

I was trying to help a friend of mine find a place, and we went to Neptune Society. From the moment we walked in there, they made us feel very comfortable. They were concerned in how people feel when they lost someone they love. The receptionist was as sweet as she could be, and Chris walked us through everything. He gave us his cell phone number and told us to call many times. He answered all our questions, and if he didn't know something, he got right back to us with it. I would go back if I ever needed to and hope to God I don't need to for a long time or ever do it in a row. I would go back to Chris again. He was fantastic. The service went well and everybody made sure everything went well. They did an awesome job, I can't ask for more.

My mom and dad signed up with Neptune Society years ago and I had a really good experience with them partly because of Sammie from the Livermore Office.

It was all very hard and emotional for us when my mom died after a long illness and I don't have a lot of patience for things not going okay. But Sammie was always there and really helped a lot. Everything was seamless and I've recommended them to several people.

My daughter took care of all the arrangements with Trident for my deceased husband's cremation. The staff at the Fremont location acted very unprofessional. Once she gave her debit card number to pay off my husband's account and then they sent thru the required signed paperwork (which my daughter sent back very promptly), they were very slow in any action my daughter tried to communicate with them for. Emails went unanswered, she had to resend them. Phone call messages were left and many times she had to call and recall again. They FINALLY sent my husband's cremains to the family home one month later after he was cremated. And then there were errors in doing this process. I will never refer this company to anyone I know.

Factual basis uncertain

I was very dissatisfied. The person we dealt with, I suppose in an effort to be cheerful, was completely unprofessional and inappropriate. I have continued to receive emails despite asking not to be contacted. I'm not sure we had a choice, but if we did, I wish we'd found another entity.

Once I notified Neptune Society of my loss, the staff was there to answer my questions, to guide me through the process of notifications and give me the options for the final processing of the Neptune Society options. I also have the program and have all of the confidence in the support that my Children will receive upon my passing. Obviously it was a difficult process, but I knew I always had a source to call for any questions I might have. I'm extremely satisfied with the Neptune Society program.

My mother passed away rather suddenly, and I had to rush from Seattle to the Twin Cities to make arrangements. I was upset and overwhelmed in those moments. Abby at Neptune was responsive, thorough and attentive. She did not pressure me to make extraneous decisions and seemed concerned about my well-being. I found the pricing affordable and would recommend Neptune to others.

Paula ** in Palatine, IL, was very compassionate and helpful. We didn't need the services of a full funeral home, the expense seemed quite high, so this option was very comforting. We were pleasantly surprised to see the vessel that our father's ashes were placed in. It was very beautiful and dignified. Paula even suggested that we could have 2 separate bags of ashes if we planned to spread his ashes in more than one location. She gave the answers to questions that we didn't even know to ask. I felt that the service was first-rate even though the cost factor was much lower than a typical funeral home. The care we received from Paula was even better than the funeral home we initially contacted, though they were the ones that provided the information on Neptune Society. We just felt much more comfortable and were very glad to have been lead to you.

I asked a friend how things went with Neptune Society and he said fine. His mother had a prepaid kind of arrangement. It's not so much what we like. It's just good for the rest of the family where you say, "Hey, make a phone call and everything is taken care of." The information we got was complete and there's ease in quality and all that kind of thing. As for our total planning, we thought we would prepay.

We've had two experiences with Neptune. One was when the sales people came by a year ago when we called them. They were prompt and did a nice job. They are also usually presentable and informative, no complaints. Everything that they said they will do, they did. Then, since we were already on board when my daughter passed away, we called and made arrangements for them to contact the coroner and what comes up. The office manager, Julie, handled the whole thing. She is very attentive and she did a very, very nice job. She set everything up and arranged for private viewing. Our minister was on vacation so she arranged for a minister which worked out fine. She also tracked down the death certificates. We had a very small family service and it all worked out. We didn't have any glitches at all that I can remember. It was a funeral and they made it a lot easier. We didn't have to worry about anything.

My dad had signed up with Neptune Society and it was through him that I heard about them. Their team was great. They helped see me through everything and they took control so I appreciate it. They were very good and helpful.

We called Neptune Society and they sent a rep and I was happy with the program that was put out. So far, it worked fine. They've all been wonderful and they had worked so hard with me. Their rep came out the day after my husband passed away and we went through everything together. She took it over and handled it so that I didn't have to worry about anything. I like that there wasn't a lot that I had to do in their pre-planning services. That was the big thing. I would have no qualms about recommending it because it was great. Their rep was just wonderful. Overall, it was easy and she took a load off of me at that time.

Factual basis uncertain

In reading these reviews, I realize we are just another victim of the Neptune Society. My father died 25 days ago while visiting in Arizona. After Neptune had possession of his body, we were told it would be 12 days before he could be cremated, which turned into 2 1/2 weeks. We also got a lame excuse why his ashes never showed up at the cemetery -- "sent to the wrong address" and returned to the Mesa office. Perhaps they should have googled the address of the only cemetery in this Montana town.

We haven't received a death certificate either, so we are paralyzed in getting anything legal regarding his death accomplished. How can we possible make plans for a funeral? Neptune doesn't do anything for people that any mortuary couldn't do and they would be happy to ship the ashes wherever anybody wants, and they handle the death certificate as well. Don't waste your money, this company has been a cruel scam played on our family at a very difficult time.

Neptune Society

Nancy, Please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your mother. Neptune Society strives to provide the utmost in customer satisfaction. We sincerely apologize for any dissatisfaction that you may have experienced. We deeply value your relationship and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. It is our understanding that our Service Manager at our Tempe location has been in contact with you and has addressed all of your concerns. Take care

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

My mother, sadly, made no final arrangements for herself and also left no insurance to pay for it, so the decision was left to me. My mother-in-law recommended Neptune Society, as she herself has a pkg on herself. It sounded like a great idea; it was affordable for my mom, and when the time came, the details would be already taken care of. My mother passed one week ago today, and I'm here to tell you that I am disheartened and very disappointed in the handling of my mom's arrangements. First, Neptune's driver who picked up the body, Aron **, never called me or my husband when he was leaving with her body from the nursing home. (We had been at the home when she passed, a total of like 6 hrs. We live 5 min from there, and went home to eat etc...and not have to wait another 2 hrs there before someone could arrive.)

We were supposed to be called when he arrived there, to sign paper work etc...but the guy never called. He just took off with her! I called the home 2 hrs after she died, and was told that she had already been picked up and was gone!! So I called the 800 number, and that was aggravating to explain the situation and try to track down 'who' had picked up her body, and 'where' she was being taken! My mother had just died...that's traumatic enough, without having to deal with this on top of it, and it was very unprofessional of the driver not to call, and IRRESPONSIBLE!! Finally I was able to speak to Joanna ** of the Tempe, AZ office, who told me she was at the Bethany Hills location, and that she would call me in the morning to take care of arrangements. 11:30 am comes and goes, and no phone call from her. I call, and of course she's on the other line.

She calls back, and is only on the phone 5 mins with me and tells me she needs to hang up because she has to tend to a family who just walked in. She calls back again, and we arrange to meet later that day. At the mtg, we do paper work, and I find out there is charge for doing the necessary ID VIEW of my mom's body. But, she says, because of the way things were handled with the driver, she waived the fee (damn right). Then I find out my mom's not even at Bethany Hills, that she's at a Mesa, AZ location. We're left in the office for her to 'copy paperwork', and we're sitting for like 10 mins. I ask the secretary where she went, and she goes back to get her. She comes back and says she's just getting up from her desk. Ok. We wait another 10 min and still she hasn't come out. (There was only a handful of papers to copy in the first place.)

The secretary goes back again, and comes back saying she was on the phone. When she comes back she makes the excuse that she's 'so busy'. (When I'M ON THE PHONE with her, she's attending to other families. When I'M AT THE OFFICE, she's on the phone with other people!) Ok, so then we make an appt for today, for the ID VIEW, (the day we WANTED, interfered with HER dentist appt). She said she'd call and confirm the day before...but did she? NO of course not. I called and left a VM, and still, I received no call. I have to call, again, can't talk to her of course, and find out from the secretary, that the time for it isn't even the time we had arranged, and if I hadn't called, I probably would have missed her (on account of being 1/2 hr late.)

I'm interested to see how this will go, let alone the actual cremation and receiving her ashes. If I had gone ahead with a traditional burial, she'd have already been in the ground 3-4 days after death. It's 7 days later and she's in a morgue somewhere, not even cremated yet, and on top of that, after today, I have to wait another 3-5 days to actually have her ashes in hand.

Neptune Society

Ellen, Please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your husband. Neptune Society strives to provide the utmost in customer satisfaction. We sincerely apologize for any dissatisfaction that you may have experienced. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. It is our understanding that the Funeral Director from our Spokane location has been in contact with you and has addressed all of your concerns. Take care

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

My husband died on Dec 8th. The Neptune Society out of Spokane Wa sent the paperwork for his cremation to the wrong address. I had given our p.o. box number to them several times. After our attorney contacted them I finally got the paperwork and the cremation took place almost a month after he passed away. I contacted them a week ago asking for the death certificate and they said they would mail it out last Wednesday. I still have not received it. I am very frustrated. I should not have to be going through this at all.

Our uncle died 4 weeks ago. The uncle had prepaid arrangements with Neptune Society for cremation. They picked up the body on the day he died. Here we are 4 weeks later and the Sherman Oaks, CA office of Neptune will not even speak with us as to the status of his cremation. We cannot plan anything for services or... Also, in regards to estate administration without death certificates or notification to Social Security the administrative issues of dealing with continued payments on Social Security and Pensions Plans are piling up (repayment etc. ).

Every day phones calls are made and if someone answers there is never a straight answer. They will not respond to email as well. So what are we to do at 4 weeks and counting. Even a good faith estimate of a month of when he will be cremated would help for planning! How long can Neptune hold a body without cremating. He was 92 years when he died of natural causes, a WWII veteran. How do you plan a service with people from out of state, etc. I hope many people read this and advise others to avoid this publicly traded company that is only profit driven and truly does not care about dignity in death.

My daughter and I flew from Fl. to San Fran. Had news my son was on life support. His wife or he made no plans for "death". I have Neptune so, with my help she contacted a rep. She came to the hotel room where we were staying. Lovely woman. So professional with concern. My son was taken off life support 3 days later. Hospital's Organ donation team, just great, so comforting to us. He was cremated.

We all went to the Neptunes' place of business (gorgeous old temple-like, domed building), spoke with Noel, had all of my son's info. Back next 4 days all the paperwork was done. Death certificates - they pay for first 2. We ordered jewelry, which they put his ashes in. His ashes were scattered from the Neptune's boat. Supplied flowers, gentleman to speak. This took place in S.F. Bay underneath the Golden Gate bridge. I was unable to attend, although his sister, wife, and friends were there. Could not say enough of good things of the whole experience on the worst day of my life. June 19th.

I like the facts I got about cremation and Neptune. My Neptune cremation plan takes care of me traveling out of state, out of the country including cruises and if we move again to another state. We did our plan and glad it's done.

Neptune Society Company Profile