4.54/5
Based on 257 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Neptune Society is one of the largest cremation services providers in the nation. With over 40 years of experience and with more than 45 locations nationwide, Neptune Society has assisted many in carrying out final wishes for their loved ones with dignity and respect, but most importantly, in an affordable manner. Whether you are planning ahead or have an immediate need, Neptune Society is here for you. Contact us today to learn more about our plans and services.

Better Business Bureau
A+BBB Rating
Presidents Award J.D. Power
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 20, 2018

349 Neptune Society Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

Funeral arrangements are not the type of thing one looks forward to. We had been thinking about the need to do this as we have gotten older and when we came upon the Neptune booth we knew it was time. The couple ahead of us was working on their arrangements after having used Neptune for family. Their experience was positive and this was definitely a good testimonial. Brandon ** was very professional and made everything clear and simple. We and family now have a peace of mind that when the good Lord takes us home our arrangements on this earth are in good hands.

Neptune Society response

Hello Mr. Jack, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Sherman Oaks, CA office.

Get expert buying tips about Cremation and Funeral Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The entire process of my mother’s passing was handled in a totally professional and respectful manner by the entire staff; I do need to single out Tiffany who helped me by staying in touch with all updates! Thank you!

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms. Helga, please accept our condolences on the passing of your mother. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our services and that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 15, 2018

My father passed on a Sun at the VA hospital in Boise, ID. I didn't have his paperwork with me so I had my daughter look up Neptune Society. The site instructed her to contact the nearest place which was Salt Lake. They contacted the funeral home then on Mon. drew up a contract stating the San Jose Neptune that Dad had paid into wasn't the same and it would cost more. About $1,000 more. I called the San Jose Neptune and they took over and I haven't incurred any more costs. As it should be! I believe the Salt Lake office was just trying to benefit from my grief. Glad I called the right place. You should State in the website to contact the Neptune Society you contracted with! Thank you.

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms.Morris, we wish to express our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your father. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service, and we deeply apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced. It is my understanding that the cremation company where your father did his prepaid cremation arrangements are in no way associated or affiliated with us. We are Neptune Society owned by SCI they are named Neptune Society of Central California (we do not know who owns them and we do not have an office in San Jose) which is a completely different company. That was a reason why we provided you a quote of $436.10 and not $1000 as stated, for you to see how much our services would be if you were to proceed with us. We resulted helping you find the cremation company to where your father's contract was to be fulfilled. We apologize we didn't meet your expectations.Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention as we do take every review very seriously. Again, we apologize for your confusion.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I was interested in getting information. I got a call from your representative who was awesome and friendly. She answered all my questions. She scheduled an appointment for your representative to come to speak with me in person. That experience was fantastic. I have told my friends about my wonderful experience with this company.

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms. Kathy, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Fort Worth, TX office.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I was pleased with the Neptune Society representative and the ease of signing up; however, the memento package I received the next week is not as described by the representative, I do not care for it and will not use it. I have contacted her to see what my options are and am awaiting her response.

Neptune Society response

Hello Mrs. Cohen, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. We apologize for not meeting your expectations with the merchandise. It is my understanding that our office manager is in contact with you addressing your concern with the merchandise. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Fort Worth, TX office.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neptune Society?

Original review: April 13, 2018

Shelly ** was the Neptune representative and did an excellent job of describing the services I was interested in. The conversation was lengthy and convincing; I've signed up and feel relieved that my children will not have any more than necessary difficulty with my death.

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms. Carol, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Albuquerque, NM office.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2018

Somewhere in your pre-sales materials, probably on your website, I saw a statement suggesting that where as many funeral homes add and add services and items to jack the price up, it would not be so with Neptune. Kimberly ** was very easy to meet, straightforward, when she called on us to complete the deal. She certainly conveyed sincerity and honesty. When she slid pages and pages of materials past us for initials and/or signatures it seemed a bit like overkill. But like most people we coolly went along.

Later in reviewing the papers I noticed separate invoices for the Direct Cremation Package and the Memento Package. And I couldn't help but notice the price ($1255) on the latter. Five years or more ago, my sharp mind would have picked up on that, but in the presentation I assumed (there's that word again) that the two packages were integral parts of the Standard Neptune Plan, so I held my breath. This week we received the two boxes containing the memento items. The items were extremely well-packed and protected. The memento box is very attractive, and the Planning Guide is a professional, well-written product. The rest of the trinkets?

To reduce verbage I have to say, we will have absolutely no use for anything in the Memento Package but the Planning Guide, perhaps a $30 item. Our ashes will be scattered soon after we receive them. Candles and cards -- perhaps important to a few people, not to us. So we just paid $2469.96 for two manuals? Completely unacceptable. Through the years I had heard of Neptune cremation services being performed for hundreds of dollars. Suddenly, we're over $2,000 each? Funeral homes and their add-ons? In my senior years I have been ripped off for dollars, tens of dollars, but over $2,000?

Neptune Society response

Hello Mr. Naylor, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service, and we deeply apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced with the wording of our agreement regarding your merchandise. It is my understanding that our sales representative has been in contact with you and that you are happy with the services and product. We apologize we didn't meet your expectations.Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention as we do take every review very seriously. Again, we apologize for your confusion.If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Las Vegas, NV office.

Original review: April 12, 2018

We recently used the Neptune Society in Atlanta for crematory service. Joseph ** did an excellent job explaining the process, quoting a fair price, and keeping us informed at every step in the process. I would not hesitate to recommend him or the Neptune Society to anyone in need of crematory services.

Neptune Society response

Hello Mr. Paul, please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your loved one. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review online. We appreciate your feedback and are very pleased you were satisfied with our services. Take care.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This is the third time in the recent past that Neptune Society Cremation services were required for my family members. Staff was Always sympathetic, courteous, knowledgeable and willing to help to our satisfaction. Thank you!

Neptune Society response

Hello Steven, please accept our condolences on the passing of your loved ones. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our services and that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Dave ** was wonderful. He treated my family with dignity and respect. Dave was professional and courteous. Dave made sure that he was able to meet our expectations and our needs in a timely and sensitive manner. The packages that are offered really met the needs that families have at the unfortunate time of passing. The entire staff of the facility was compassionate and professional.

Neptune Society response

Hi Value Customer, thank you so much for sharing your experience with Neptune Society. We are very sorry for the loss of your loved one. We appreciate your feedback and we are honored that your family chose us to help you through this difficult time. If you have, any additional questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Feeling a bit overwhelmed, concerning the subject of our final needs and burial arrangements, your representative made us feel at ease. Jack ** was very caring and knowledgeable, spending as much time as needed to educate us. Professional, polite, respectful and caring. Thank you.

Neptune Society response

Hello Mr. Mark, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Tacoma, WA office.

Original review: April 11, 2018

After learning about Neptune Society while working as a nurse in Florida, I was so pleased to find them in my current location. From the first phone call with Barbara **, to the visit in our home, we were impressed with the caring professionalism of everyone we spoke with. When we received our Memorial boxes, we found them to be tasteful and very appropriate. We have recommended Neptune Society to friends and relatives. Now we have peace of mind at an affordable price.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I can only say Tamar was compassionate, kind and helpful. In a time that is as hard as it can get losing a person who you loved. Communication was key and she delivered all through the whole process. Thank You Tamar.

Neptune Society response

Hi Mr. Mark, thank you so much for sharing your experience with Neptune Society. We are very sorry for the loss of your loved one. We appreciate your feedback and we are honored that your family chose us to help you through this difficult time. On behalf of Tamar and the Reno, NV team of Neptune Society, we thank you for sharing your experience online. If you have, any additional questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My parents planned their cremation and purchased services in advance. When the unexpected happened, their forethought and care guided us through a very hard time. We wanted to do the same for our daughter.

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms. Peggy, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Denver, CO office.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I don’t want to burden my family with the responsibility of have to make important decisions at a sensitive time. My mother, my sister and brother-in-law all had their cremation set up with Neptune Society and mother and my sister's husband passed, it was all taken care of by Neptune. I would highly recommend Neptune Society.

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms. Mary, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Charlotte, NC office.

Original review: April 11, 2018

The process of making arrangements for myself was handled very professionally but with an equal measure of sincere concern that my needs would be met in a manner specific to my situation. What I received for the expense far exceeded my expectations. All the details were fully and tactfully explained, especially (and most important to me) the notification of my designated family member. I found no misstep, no lack of sensitivity and no unanswered questions. For all of the above, I would recommend the Neptune Society to my family and friends.

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms. Holly, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Orlando, FL office.

Original review: April 11, 2018

During the most difficult time of someone's life Neptune Society made things so easy. Their professionalism was outstanding and they did the best to make you feel comfortable. In addition, all the major tasks you worry about they handled. What a relief for our family during a stressful time. Since my father's passing I have purchased services for myself and my sister to hopefully make it easy on whoever takes care of my affairs.

Neptune Society response

Hi Mr. Stan, please accept our condolences on the passing of your father. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our services and that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I am an individual private person who is very happy with my experience. I felt no pressure in my decision and was treated with the highest level of respect. The sales rep was personable and put no pressure on my decision.

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms. Joan, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Detroit, MI office.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Cremation of my Dad Bobbie - During this difficult time, the experience was made easier by the assistance of Alvin **. He truly helped with all the arrangements, going out of his way to assist in every way he could. I would highly recommend him and the services he provided for us. He is a wonderful representative for your company and I will be sharing his card and recommending the Neptune Society.

Neptune Society response

Hello Corinne, please accept our condolences on the passing of your father. We really appreciate hearing your feedback and your experience online. We are pleased to hear that you and your family were satisfied with Alvin and his amazing compassion, love, and care for the families he takes into his care during these difficult times.

Original review: April 1, 2018

We set up the arrangements with Neptune Society for both my mom and my dad about four years back. We called to check them out and the guy that sold it to us was wonderful. They take care of everything like notifying Social Security, making the arrangements at the cemetery, picking up the body, and if you have a travel thing going on, it doesn't matter where the body is in the world, they would bring it back here. I like that all it's going to take when something happens is one phone call.

My mom passed away a little over a year ago and they took care of her arrangements. They were on it from the guys who came to pick them up and were so professional and caring. At that time, it was Bret that handled hers and he was just wonderful with us and responded to us on anything we needed immediately. Then this January 30th, my dad passed away and we had John at Lynwood who was absolutely wonderful. The guys that came to pick up the body were also professional and caring. Our experiences were so good that when we went to pick up my dad’s ashes, I made my arrangements.

Neptune Society response

Hello Mary Jo, please accept our condolences on the passing of both of your parents. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our services and that we were able to help you and your family during these difficult times. Also, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning.

Original review: March 26, 2018

With pre-planned services, we don't have to deal with anything at the last minute and Neptune was the only one we had information on. My husband took the pre-planning service and I’m on it too. The team came and spoke with my husband just before he died in the nursing home he was in. They were very thorough and did a very good job.

Neptune Society response

Hi Ms. Carol, thank you so much for sharing your experience with Neptune Society. We are very sorry for the loss of your husband. We appreciate your feedback and we are honored that your family chose us to help you through this difficult time. Take care.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had arranged for my own cremation so that the children would not have to be concerned about it. I went with Neptune when I decided to do it for myself and it was trouble-free. The rep Karen was a wonderful person and was no-pressure. It's very difficult when you’re at the hospital and you have to make that kind of a call, but she allowed us to have all the time in the world to get things together. She helped us a great deal. That’s not a job that many people can do, and she has the perfect personality for it. I got the preplanning service for myself and for Brian, she presented the options and we chose one of them. The people involved were all very helpful. I like the fact that it’s over and finished. All my two daughters have to do when I pass away is to just access the paperwork and call Neptune. Some of my friends are interested in cremation and I’ve also told them about the Neptune Society.

Neptune Society response

Hello Peggy, please accept our condolences on the passing of loved one. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our services and that we were able to help you and your family during these difficult times. Also, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 24, 2018

I have two plans - one for myself and one for my spouse. We’ve been going through some financial hardship and can no longer afford to be paying for a preplanned cremation. When our finances were starting to get bad, we were able to bring down the monthly rate which was helpful. But since filing bankruptcy, we can just no longer afford to be paying for this. I request a cancellation and refund for the amount I’ve already put into the plan. Unfortunately, I was told I cannot get a refund. I was sent a form to sign to cancel my plan and receive a $0 refund. When I signed up for the preplanned cremation service, I never thought I’d ever go through financial hardship. Things happen, jobs are lost, and I have to deal with it. It’s unfortunate that I cannot receive a refund on the amount I’ve put into this plan since no services were provided to me. Now I’m told to cancel and lose out on +$1,000 when I never received anything for it.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Neptune made everything so easy and Jason was totally awesome. I thought it was going to be so complicated and stressful but Jason had all the answers and was so kind hearted. Thank you so much for everything you did for my family.

Neptune Society response

Hi Mr. Brian, please accept our condolences on the passing of your loved one. We really appreciate hearing your feedback and your experience online. We are pleased to hear that you and your family were satisfied with Jason and his amazing compassion, love, and care for the families he takes into his care during these difficult times.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Jason ** was extremely knowledgeable, compassionate and helpful as he guided us through the cremation process for my late aunt, Joanne **. I would recommend Neptune Society for my friends' funeral arrangements without reservation. Thank you.

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms. Kathryn, please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your aunt. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review online. We appreciate your feedback and are very pleased you were satisfied with our services. Take care.

Original review: March 17, 2018

A friend in California told me about Neptune Society and the recommendation was simply outstanding. I was told that the remains won't be intermingled with others and there was a lot of peace in that. Then I called Neptune and the rep came out and spoke with me at my home. She was very nice and informative. our interaction was excellent and I got absolutely no pressure from her. I did a pre-planning service with Neptune. The funeral director, Samantha, was amazing and she was wonderful throughout the whole process. She called me the next morning. I had a lot of questions and she answered all of them, and that relieved a lot of anxiety for me. Neptune Society was great to work with and there's no other organization that I would consider.

Neptune Society response

Hi Ms. Debra, thank you so much for sharing your experience with Neptune Society. We are very sorry for the loss of your loved one. We appreciate your feedback and we are honored that your family chose us to help you through this difficult time. If you have, any additional questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 17, 2018

I received a call today from area code 520. I answered and the woman asked if I was (my name). I responded, "May I ask who is calling please." She said, "It is Neptune Society, is this (my name)." I responded, "Yes it is." She said I requested information about their cremation services. I said I did but have never received any information in the mail. She said they don't work that way and there would be a representative in my neighborhood tomorrow and the presentation would only take 15 minutes. I responded by saying I really would prefer receiving material in the mail and then I would contact them. Again, she said the program does not work that way. I said if that is the way it works, I would not be interested at this time. She hung up on me. I found her to be rude, uncaring, and unprofessional. I found it similar to "boiler room" tactics.

Neptune Society response

Hello Nicholas, we deeply apologize for the rude and inconvenient sales call that you encountered, that is not how we want our company to operate and I could see how that experience would give you a bad impression. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service.It is my understanding that sales manager for the Phoenix, AZ office reached out to you and apologize for your experience and also to provide a mailed package of information about our business and services. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered and we value the opportunity of having you as one of our future valued customers. Thank you for your time and bringing this up to our attention.

Original review: March 16, 2018

In the past, my family has used Neptune Society on two occasions, with excellent experiences both times. In February of 2018, my mother was in home hospice care & passed away in her sleep. Between the hospice company & Neptune, I was given clear directions how to proceed. Mr. George ** at Neptune explained my options clearly & compassionately, then sent the contract to me via email. I was able to fill it out, notarize it, & return it via email. The time frame we had been given was accurate, & I was contacted as soon as everything was ready to pick up. I was treated professionally & very compassionately through the whole process, & would definitely recommend them to a friend.

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms. Patricia, please accept our condolences on the passing of your mother. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our services and that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Both my parents used the Neptune Society for their cremation, and I was present at both their deaths. It was so easy for us; everything was taken care of quickly, easily and dignified. So when I was contacted, I immediately asked for information and ultimately signed up. Greg ** came by and there was no pressure or hard sell! I also appreciate that you have payment plans. And I am grateful that my kids will not have to go through the time or effort to decide what I wanted when I die. Thank you!

Neptune Society response

Hello Ms. Cathy, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Louisville, KY office.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Enduring the loss of a loved one is such a difficult time, one which especially calls for understanding, compassion and gentle kindness. To say that the Neptune Society provided this to me is the understatement of the year. Jason was truly amazing in his kindness, thoughtfulness, and grace. I couldn't be more grateful to him, and to The Neptune Society, for everything they did for me. I strongly recommend them for the care of your loved one upon his/her passing.

Neptune Society response

Hello Valued Customer, please accept our condolences on the passing of your loved one. We really appreciate hearing your feedback and your experience online. We are pleased to hear that you and your family were satisfied with Jason and his amazing compassion, love, and care for the families he takes into his care during these difficult times.

Neptune Society expert review by David Chandler, Ph.D.

The Neptune Society is one of America’s largest providers of cremation services. The company was founded in 1973. Its headquarters are in Plantation, Florida. The Neptune Society has over 45 locations nationwide.

• Cremation planning: The Neptune Society offers cremation planning services. These services help people develop a funeral plan.

• Immediate needs services: The Neptune Society offers immediate need services. You can either report a loved one’s passing online or call Neptune Society directly.

• Service for veterans: The Neptune Society offers special services for veterans. They help families with VA reimbursement for services, headstones and certificates.

• Online resources: The Neptune Society website hosts a number of online resources. These include articles and information about cremation and funeral planning.

• Resource videos and guide: Neptune Society provides informational online videos about cremation and funeral planning. You can also request a free planning guide.

• Best for: those planning for cremation, those needing immediate service and families of veterans.

Profile picture of David Chandler, Ph.D.
David Chandler, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.

Neptune Society Company Information