Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.39/5

Neptune Society specializes in affordable and compassionate cremation and funeral planning services. The company offers professional guidance from cremation experts to help you plan for events after your death. Putting these arrangements into place now takes the burden and decision making off of your grieving family.

BOTTOM LINE

Neptune Society offers dignified and affordable cremation services. It provides a single comprehensive plan that covers every detail of the cremation process.

PROS

• Helps with planning
  • Offers special veteran services
  • Maintains a memorial reef

CONS

• No facility for on-site services
  • Not available in all states

Top Neptune Society Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neptune Society?

Great customer service. Lori was able to answer all our questions. She even let us know of special boxes offered to veterans and other benefits. In the time of quarantine she was a breath of fresh air.

Very good service and communication at a tough time. They took care of everything in a caring and professional manner. When a death in the family happens, you're in a fog for a while and they help you navigate all the things you need to do. I highly recommend using them in your time of need.

What is the Neptune Society?

Neptune Society offers affordable cremation services and guidance to those who have recently lost a loved one or are planning their own arrangements in advance. If you are responsible for final arrangements for a family member, Neptune Society guides you through the process to help you choose the services that meet your needs and your budget. Neptune Society's goal is to provide dignified and affordable cremation services for grieving families.

Neptune Society works in three basic categories: Planning cremation services, planning the cremation services of a loved one who has passed (or will pass soon) and veteran cremation.

Plan ahead
    Neptune Society understands that thinking about and planning for your final arrangements can be emotional, and the company’s employees strive to make it a dignified and thoughtful experience.

Planning a cremation service in advance can save thousands of dollars, and it lets you make decisions when you are in a clear state of mind. Neptune Society can help you understand state-specific information, travel protection, estate planning and other details, such as choosing your memorial keepsake urn.

Does Neptune Society scatter ashes at sea?
    No, but they do offer an alternative. The Neptune Society Memorial Reef is an artificial reef off of the coast of Key Biscayne, Florida, and ashes can be scattered there.
    When a loved one has died
    If someone you loved has passed away, you can report this death to the Neptune Society to have someone reach out to you. You can start the process by entering basic info and payment details. Neptune Society keeps your personal information secure and is available 24/7 to answer questions and provide support.
    Veteran memorialization
    If you or a loved one has served in the military, you may have specific requests when it comes to your cremation services. Neptune Society offers a free “Veteran Death Benefits and Memorialization Guide” to help you understand your options to honor the veterans in your life and determine if you or a loved one are eligible for veteran-specific memorialization services.
    Other services
    Along with comprehensive cremation services and planning resources, Neptune Society offers other services to serve families in need. Some of these services include:
    • Immediate-need Services: If a loved one passes away and there is no funeral or cremation plan, Neptune Society can walk you through the immediate details of the cremation process, including reporting the death and helping you gather all of the appropriate information and documentation.
    • Merchandise: Cremation involves choosing a memorial urn to keep your loved one’s ashes in. It offers urns, keepsakes, and jewelry that can be engraved as a personal memento for your loved one. Some of the keepsake urns available include:
      • Eco-friendly scattering boxes
      • Home memorials
      • Burial urns
      • Companion urns
      • Garden memorials
      • Keepsake jewelry

You can learn more about each of these services by filling out the online contact form, enrolling online, or attending a Lunch and Learn event. All options are designed to be casual and no-pressure, so you can gather all of the information and make a confident and informed decision.

How much does the Neptune Society cost?

Neptune Society charges $1,950 for its cremation services. This includes professional services, transportation, refrigeration and a container. The company offers one comprehensive plan without any hidden fees.

The single plan has all the features that customers need the most. It offers flexible payment options, and customers can pay off their plan for as little as $50 a month. The price-lock guarantee lets customers pay the quoted price even when the costs of funeral and cremation services rise.

Neptune Society FAQ

Is Neptune Society reputable?
    Yes. Neptune Society has been helping people plan for their funeral and cremation services for almost 50 years. They are a reliable and trusted company that offers comprehensive coverage.
    Does Neptune Society scatter ashes at sea?
    No, but they do offer an alternative. The Neptune Society Memorial Reef is an artificial reef off of the coast of Key Biscayne, and ashes can be scattered there.
    Where does the Neptune Society scatter ashes?
    The Neptune Society Memorial Reef.
    Is Neptune Society available everywhere?
    Neptune Society is a localized service and has 45 locations across the country. Its travel protection ensures that you can transfer your cremation services anywhere in the U.S. if you move after planning your services.

Is Neptune Society legit?

Yes. Neptune Society is a trusted and reliable cremation service that has been in business for almost 50 years. The company offers localized services all over the country, and we recommend it for anyone looking for an affordable cremation service.

Neptune Society Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neptune Society?

Original review: April 30, 2020

I went with Neptune Society but a couple of days afterwards, I cancelled my contract and I went with a different company. The first time I was introduced to this cremation was a little over a year before I met with the guy from Neptune, and I had kept the paperwork. I went to the presentation which was fine. I did sign up, but I had gone to this other presentation where I found a better deal. They were substantially less expensive for the same product. I saved over $1,000. You can cancel with Neptune within a month, and I did it early on. They did help me out and they didn't make it difficult to cancel, and I did get my refund recently. They said it could take up to 90 days, but it didn't. Then I was concerned about the Coronavirus making it even longer, but it turned out I did get it back.

I’ve been dealing with Neptune's West Covina branch. I was dealing with Noelle initially, but then when I cancelled, I’ve been speaking to their office and she helped me out. I sent her the form. I called the main office in Florida just to make sure my refund was on its way. But Noelle was quite helpful in West Covina, and there were a couple other people I spoke to. They were quite helpful in the refund area.

The telephone response has been good. Shortly after I did sign up, I had some questions. I spoke to the office manager at West Covina. He was quite communicative and friendly and I had positive response to him too. Initially, I wasn’t gonna change from Neptune to the other company, but then when they had this real rollback for the Coronavirus, it was a deal I could not pass up.

Original review: March 5, 2020

My wife Cathy, and I have been Neptune members for many years. We joined because we liked their offer of service and we both felt cremation was easy and beneficial for each other and our families. Cathy passed away in Colorado Springs at 0330 on 19 February in our home. We planned her passing to be at home when she entered hospice care. The hospice nurse contacted Neptune that morning. I had requested they not pick Cathy up until after 0800. They did arrive between 0815 and 0830. Todd ** contacted me concerning Cathy's death. He was very compassionate and caring. He answered all my questions and helped with a viewing on Friday, 21 February for my son and his family.

The funeral home here in Colorado Springs has been most gracious. They returned Cathy to me today, 4 March. I am currently waiting for Cathy's clothes to be returned and to finish up any paper work and get her death certificates. I would heartedly recommend Neptune to anyone considering cremation. We have our burial arrangements made but if you do not, they can assist with contacting a local cemetery to arrange for burial. Thank you Todd, staff and the staff at Chapel of Memories for your help at this difficult time.

Neptune Society response

Hello Cliff, we would first like to express our condolences for the passing of your wife. On behalf of Todd and our Denver Team, we are honored that you and your family chose us to take care of her cremation needs during these difficult times. We understand that it is a privilege to serve you and your family with dignity and respect during the time of need, and we appreciate the trust that you put in us to handle these final affairs. We want to thank you again for allowing us the honor of serving your family and taking care of your wife!

Get buying tips about Cremation and Funeral Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

First and foremost, many thanks to Michael ** who responded promptly to our distress call. He was very professional yet personable to ensure confidence and trust in his business ethic and Neptune Society. In today's world customer service doesn't own up to its name and often time leaves a lots to be desired. However, not the case with Michael, he went above and beyond to provide exceptional service and was always available to answer any questions we had. This was our first experience with cremation, Michael was very patient and educated us about the process every step of the way and did lots of hand holding and provided much comfort. I would highly recommend Michael ** of the Neptune Society.

Neptune Society response

Hello Charlene, we would first like to express our condolences for the passing of your loved one. On behalf of Michael and his Cincinnati Team, we are honored that you chose us to take care of the cremation needs during these difficult times. We understand that it is a privilege to serve you and your family with dignity and respect during the time of need, and we appreciate the trust that you put in us to handle these final affairs. We want to thank you again for allowing us the honor of serving your family and taking care of your loved one!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

My salesman was a very pleasant, knowledgeable young man. His sales approach was genuine, in that he listens to his customers' concerns, thoroughly explains the program components and doesn't pressure the consumer into an impulse purchase. After the presentation, I waited a few days to review the documents before committing to a purchase. I completed my portion of the paperwork prior to my salesman's return and the transaction was completed within minutes. My contract and urn are in a secure place within my home known to select family members. One wallet card is in the cremation kit (urn), the other is in my wallet. I definitely recommend Neptune Society for anyone's cremation needs.

Neptune Society response

Sylvia, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of South Chicago, IL office.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

A friend of mine that I work with told me about Neptune several months before my dad passed away. He told me that they were very pleased with how their experience was as far as the cremation service went. My father passed in October, and my brother and me went and got it all set up for him ‘cause he wanted to be cremated. I can’t say enough nice things about these people. They were great. The time when it was happening as far as when my dad passed ’til they came and started all the process up was not very stressful. They were very upfront with all the costs and how things work. The service manager in our local area here in Ohio, in Cleveland was very attentive. I was very appreciative of that.

Neptune Society response

Mike, please accept our condolences on the passing of your Loved one. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our very attentive services and that we were able to help you and your brother during this difficult time.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I called Neptune to prearrange my cremation. I know people that had used them in the past and they seemed to have a good reputation. I was subject to high pressure sales. It was the end of July and I was told that if I didn't sign before August 1st I would be charged interest on the balance not paid. So I signed online. A friend also called neptune a month after I did and was also told she had to hurry and sign or the prices were going up Sept. 1. I was sent a price list, but it wasn't easy to follow.

The salesman said I would be getting a nice box with helpful items. The price of this box was not discussed. When it arrived, I was amazed. Thank you cards you can purchase for under $5, a planning book one can get comparable on Amazon for under $10, a cardboard box sprayed gold with decorations,- well, you get the picture, retail the box contents would be less than $50. Neptune was charging $1300, which made up a large part of the $2700 contract. The cremation is priced low to be competitive, and they apparently make their money on the retail box. I returned the retail box and according to their contract, I had to cancel the entire contract. My deposit of $99 was to be returned. It is now going on 3 weeks and it still has not been refunded.

Original review: July 17, 2020

Jacksonville, FL. My parents set up this service many years ago and when the time came to use it things were so smooth. It was very comforting not to have to worry about this during such a trying time in our lives. I thank Emily and everyone involved for such wonderful, professional, caring service.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Neptune keeps mailing us information for my husband's dead brother, nearly on his birthday, to make matters worse. He never lived here so we don't know how you got our mailing information but we are thankful these mailers haven't gone to his mother. This is worse than telemarketing and needs to stop.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Original review: June 12, 2020

**Update to top it off! Came home to find a note still in the box saying to fill the picture frame with some ashes and guess what's not done! This whole experience has been a ** show and someone should not have to go through this after losing a loved one. Absolutely unprofessional and unorganized. They had my Stepfather (Jeff **) for 17 days! First excuse was doctor didn't sign the death certificate when I called to check up on the progress. It had already been 9 days since he passed away and no one seemed to notice they are storing a body with no signed death certificate. Then once I started calling every day it still took another 8 days until he was ready to be picked up and not to mention we told them when we would be coming and he was still not ready as they thought we had the box in which we gave them at the viewing/visitation. No one knows what's going on and they seem not to care one bit!

Neptune Society Company Information