4.56/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Neptune Society is one of the largest cremation services providers in the nation. With over 40 years of experience and with more than 45 locations nationwide, Neptune Society has assisted many in carrying out final wishes for their loved ones with dignity and respect, but most importantly, in an affordable manner. Whether you are planning ahead or have an immediate need, Neptune Society is here for you. Contact us today to learn more about our plans and services.

Better Business Bureau

A+

BBB Rating
Presidents Award J.D. Power
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

220 Neptune Society Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We were impressed with how promptly Jane ** responded to our inquiry at the Neptune website. She was very professional and explained everything. We want our funeral arrangements to be easy for our family. The cost will only go up so we are saving money in the long run.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Would strongly recommend Neptune Society to family and friends. Guided me through every step of the process with sensitivity, caring and professionalism. I am deeply grateful to the entire Albuquerque team. Thank you so much.

Neptune Society response

Bruce, please accept our condolences on the passing of your loved one. We really appreciate your feedback. on behalf of the Albuquerque team and Neptune Society, we thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our services and that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Staff was amazing. So understanding and let me go through everything at my pace. The extra things that were offered were perfect for my situation. Thank you for your kindness and care of my loved one.

Neptune Society response

David, please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your loved one. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review online. We appreciate your feedback and are very pleased you were satisfied with our services, especially with the San Antonio Team's amazing care. Take care.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Our family worked with Laura at Neptune. Guided me through every step of the way. Laura was kind enough to drive my husband's remains out to me. Very personal and empathetic care. I would highly recommend Neptune.

Neptune Society response

Hi Barbara, thank you so much for sharing your experience with Neptune Society - Minneapolis, MN. We are very sorry for the loss of your husband. On behalf of Laura and the team, we appreciate your feedback and we are honored that your family chose us to help you through this difficult time.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Ms. ** & Ms. ** were extremely professional & courteous. I felt at ease & confident in having Neptune Society handle my mother’s body. The process was explained, they followed up, & overall I couldn’t have had a better experience considering the circumstances.

Neptune Society response

Santana, please accept our condolences on the passing of your mother. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our services and that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neptune Society?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Very professional, caring, understanding. Mr. Alvin ** could not have been more gracious in explaining the process and taking care of all procedures while compassionately understanding the hurt this posed for our family. I want to thank Mr. ** and all of the staff at the Paramus Neptune Society. God Bless You All.

Neptune Society response

Michael, please accept our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your loved one. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review online. We appreciate your feedback and are very pleased you were satisfied with our services, especially with Mr. Alvin's amazing care. Take care.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Everything that I've read about Neptune Society was all very good. Then, their salesman, who was very personable, came out, talked to me, made me feel comfortable and explained everything to me in detail. I then decided that they were the way to go. I got the package as well as the cherry chest with the urn. It feels good to know that everything's all set and that nobody's going to be inconvenienced the time I pass.

Neptune Society response

Kenneth, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Atlanta, GA office.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Rachel sold my wife and I pre-need cremation plans. Her approach and behavior during this interaction were fine. As she said we would, we received each a wooden box containing the biodegradable urn and assorted paperwork. These were shipped to each of us individually. They arrived within the time frame discussed about ten days ago. However, one of the wooden boxes arrived in damaged condition apparently during shipping. So we called Rachel and left her a message requesting she get back to us so we could determine how to get it replaced. She has never called us back so what action should we take now? We feel that it is appropriate we not accept damaged merchandise.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I am very pleased with Neptune Society and Sara **'s help and services. After the sudden death of my brother, Sara helped me through every step, during this difficult, complicated time in my life. I came back to Neptune Society, after my Mother's passing, 4 years ago. I greatly appreciated their help, services, and professionalism. I felt great confidence and comfort in returning to Neptune Society again.

Neptune Society response

Ann, please accept our condolences on the passing of your brother. We really appreciate you sharing your feedback and your experience online. We are satisfied that Sara was able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

When I signed up, I gave the representative my address including my apartment number. Apt. 208. Whoever inputted the information from the application to your computer, neglected to copy the apartment number. So... when you sent the “box”, it did not arrive on time. In fact, without the apartment number, it could not be delivered. It was a big hassle until it was finally delivered. The box had to go to the post office for delivery since there was no apartment number. This is such a small detail that became important. Here I sign up with this wonderful company to take care of my remains and save my daughters from additional stress when I die... AND some low level employee goofs! What can I think???? Please just add “Apartment 208” to my mailing label. No need to call and apologize. It is done. It is over with.

Neptune Society response

Phyllis, we sincerely apologize for the poor experience that you received with our sales team in regards to the typos in your address. I thank you for bringing this up to our attention and I can assure you that the correction has been made on your file and you will no longer encounter the same hassle you went through. If you ever have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the office of Neptune Society - Pompano, FL or call us at 1888-624-3310.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Beth ** was the representative for Neptune and she was amazing!! I received my box and instructions in a few days and it really eased my mind to know everything is taken care of for my family. I will recommend Neptune Society to everyone!

Neptune Society response

Cammy, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Nashville, TN office.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My husband fell, got a brain bleed was showing positive signs daily towards improving and all of a sudden we went from talking about rehab to hospice and he died the next day. All in all it was 7 days. I had not made any arrangements because it was sudden. I called the Neptune Society and they were more than nice and took care of everything for me. Everything was done. All I had to do was sign papers and not worry. Thank you Neptune Society.

Neptune Society response

Bonnie, please accept our condolences on the passing of your husband. Thank you for sharing your experience online and we appreciate you. We are also honored to hear that you were satisfied with our services and that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My experience in settling my wishes for cremation was a very professional and satisfying decision. It takes a huge burden off of my children's hands. Michelle ** is a great representative of Neptune and extremely thorough in describing all that is covered under the contract. My mind is at peace knowing I'm in your care. Thank you.

Neptune Society response

Mary, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Jacksonville, FL office.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

The loss of my 30 year old daughter was more than any mother should have to bear. How do you plan for that? I asked myself? From the moment a representative came to our home to speak with us until we picked up our daughter's remains the individualized attention was outstanding. Sheila was by far a light in a very dim room.

Neptune Society response

Sherry, please accept our condolences on the passing of your daughter. We really appreciate hearing your feedback and your experience online. We are pleased to hear that you and your family were satisfied with Sheila and her amazing compassion, love, and care for the families she takes into her care during these difficult times.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

When my father passed I called Neptune (Indianapolis) and they told me over the phone that I would not be able to use my father's prearranged service if I wanted to have a service for him at a church. I asked them if they would refund his $2000 and they said he could get $400 refunded. I felt my father deserved a service so I arranged this with another funeral home who could provide the honors that he deserved. Neptune refused to transfer any of the $2000 that my father already paid unless I paid his account balance of $1100.00... Even then they would only transfer $900 to the funeral home... Even after they took $2000 from my father they wanted to get an additional profit from me if I graciously paid his account balance. They also refused to refund the $400 that was originally promised. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Paula ** went beyond the call of duty to get my husband's death certificate out. She voluntarily stayed late one evening to do so. Her speaking voice was so gentle and soothing as she told me what the procedures would be. The booklet she sent was a life-line, telling me exactly what and when and how to do the necessary chores when there is a death. Thank you, Paula!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Julie provided excellent service. She was personable, attentive, flexible, understanding AND was able to obtain our loved one's remains sooner than expected (in time for her memorial service). Our family would definitely recommend Neptune Society, specifically Julie, to care for their loved one.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My partner heard about Neptune Society and had one representative come out to the house to explain it and she liked it. I never met anybody in Neptune that wasn’t so gracious, ready to help and loving towards my partner by doing everything that they could to make her comfortable. They were careful with her and the people that came out to take care of her were wonderful. She loved every one of them which was the important thing. I would highly recommend Neptune.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

OMG where do I start. My mom passed away Sept. 2, 2017. I called Neptune Society Sacramento, Ca. because I had used them in Fresno on my uncle and sister. They made it easy. This one has been a nightmare. My mom wasn't cremated till after 22 of September. I call on that Friday because I was leaving the country. And was told she hadn't been cremated. All the paper work was wrong. Even though I corrected it. It was still wrong. My daughter went to pick up the urn and paper work. And she told them that it was all wrong. My daughter took all the stuff home and waited until I got back home. It was very upsetting for her. The lady blamed the hospital... I called the hospital and inquired about what was actually written. And they said Sept 2, 2017 @ 9:14 pm. The death certificate said Sept 3, 2017 at 8:30.

So when I got the death certificate and it was all wrong It’s very upsetting. Now it’s being amended and I am still waiting for it... And will probably come back wrong. I truly believe this woman Jamie doesn't know what she's doing. All the dates from birth to death are wrong. It’s wrong on the urn. We never picked out the urn, she did. I sent my mom’s birth certificate and driver license to identify her along with my birth certificate and driver’s license to prove who I was. She must have not even looked at it because all the info on death was wrong.

Not sure if it really takes that long. But it hasn't been easy. Plus you cant do anything with my mom’s stuff because death certificate is not right. And the amended just isn't here. So the family has put everything on hold to bury mom. Cant bury her without the correct certificate because everything is wrong and don't match what the cemetery has on file. Family from out of state have been put on hold. Several are military. But now since it’s been so long since their grandmother’s death they are only allow limited time (3 days). So I say don't use them unless it’s a last resort.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I understand a lot of charges on my bill, but there are a few that I truly don't get. $95.00 for a cardboard box in addition to the cost of $60.00 for a temporary container. Had I not been exhausted, as well as stressed to my limits, I would not of paid almost 100.00 for a cardboard box that is now in the garbage in New Orleans. $150.00 for a 24 hour helpline? I was not asked if I felt I would need this service. Again this would be a charge I could do without. Preparation of the obituary. I understand it's customary for the funeral service to write the obituary. In this case, I wrote the obituary, and submitted it to the home. Maybe a discount would be appropriate in these types of situations?

As the sister of the deceased I was basically forced to charge her cremation on my credit card. "We cannot proceed." I now have a huge credit card charge, that cannot be paid until the money from her estate comes in. She's been gone one month, and the red tape and paperwork takes time. So now I will have interest fees. Thank you for that. I am on a tight budget due to my own spouse being ill, and the added expense of traveling back and forth to see my sister. I've lost both parents, and many family members.

We have had full services with viewing, and funeral home personnel in a large city with a well known funeral home. They were paid by check after when the life insurance was paid. Amy was pleasant to talk with, and did do a good job handling the case, and communicating with me on everything. I appreciated that. My main complaint is financial. The line from Amy during our meeting, the day after she passed. When I asked "what if I don't put it on my card?" The response, "Well, we cannot proceed" is bullying. In a situation where someone has known life such as my sister, it should be allowed to be billed like any other service.

Neptune Society response

Laurie, please accept our condolences on the passing of your sister. Neptune Society always strives to provide the utmost in service and customer satisfaction to each family we serve. I sincerely apologize for how you feel in regards to the financial portion of the service. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are happy that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

At a time of deep bereavement, Amy was a calm and straightforward presence who made my family's experience a positive one. I will not hesitate to recommend the Neptune Society to others because their customer service was great. Unfortunately, my family has experienced poor service at other funeral homes. Thank you Neptune Society!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

It's been 20+ days with very little progress. I'm nervous, frustrated, embarrassed, bitter. Corrections I submitted on the worksheet on or around Oct. 1st, weren't changed and were submitted for filing with Santa Clara County DOHS, resulting in an erroneous Certified Death Certificate being issued. Your staff was notified on Oct. 13th when I was finally able to obtain the four that I originally ordered through you. OMG! This is taking much longer than Mike originally said it would. His words to me were, "do you want it fast or do you want it done well?" "Well" I responded. I have nothing to show for all this time except empty promises.

Mike said he would get back to me very soon and he did not. So far I've worked with Dayna, Jane, and Mike however no one seems to know how to get this expedited. I've been calling at least twice every week. I think your staff's performance has been substandard. I would like to have my Aunt's ashes hand delivered to me ASAP, and I'm also requesting a price adjustment, a big one. Seriously.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

My mother was in the process of dying and my daughter went online. She found Neptune online, called them and they got right back to her. She felt led and she just picked them. It turned out that I had talked with my great aunt and uncle about Neptune as we were in the process, it hadn’t been paid for yet. They too had purchased Neptune. My interaction with their team was wonderful. It was very straightforward and informative. It was a very difficult time and it was handled very nicely. Plus, the cost was amazing. It was a peaceful experience.

Neptune Society response

Susan, please accept our condolences on the passing of your loved one. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our services and that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

No one wants to think that they would have to experience a loss in the family, but if you find yourself searching for a place to help you with these kinds of needs I would highly recommend Neptune Society. Sherry ** in the Spokane office was so great to work with. She cares about her clients' needs and genuinely loves people. All of the people I spoke with at the Spokane office were so kind and helpful.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

We've worked with the Neptune Society out of Golden Valley 2 different times and both were wonderful experiences. They handled all the busy work and made sure all details were covered, relieving us of so much stress.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I looked at a lot of cremation service providers and Neptune Society has the same price as everybody else. It wasn’t less expensive, but it was the best choice. Their rep did a stunning job of explaining it all without pressuring us to do anything and I felt like it included the things that we needed. He had a very nice presentation folder that made it very clear. We went through the preplanning service with him and he explained what the benefits were. We asked a lot of questions and he had answers for all of them.

One of the things that really cinched it for me was that the funeral home and Smart Cremation both said that all of our children will have to sign off in order for this to happen but we didn’t have to do that with Neptune. That’s important for us because our family didn’t blend well. They don’t really know each other because we were well into our adult years when we married. We’ve only been married 27 years and we’re in our 70's so all of our kids have grown up and had their own lives and gone their own ways. The rep just had us write on the agreement form that none of them could change this and that was important to us as well. We wanted the whole cremation thing to be easy and we accomplished that. I am very happy and we’re very pleased with the plan. We have even told everybody that we know that it’s a great plan.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Neptune Society provided peace of mind at a time when I needed it the most. It was wonderful to be able to make one phone call and know that everything was going to be taken care of. The communication from the funeral director was much appreciated and very timely. I was kept aware of each step along the way. I highly recommend this service.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Non negotiable cost. Hard pill to swallow that about half of the cost of cremation was for container that wouldn't fit in our shared niche in columbarium. 2nd but less troubling was the varying discount for veterans from time to time (seemed to be used as enticement to buy)...

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My mother chose Neptune Society among other cremation service providers and had it in her files. Because of her, I’ve interacted with their team for the first time and they were fantastic. The preplanning service was all done and all we had to do was bring in the basic material. They made it so easy and they were very comforting.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have been a member since 2009 when I joined in Seattle Washington. Three years ago I married and moved to Bullhead City, AZ. My wife did not have this coverage. After trying to join thru Seattle office was transferred to Arizona. The rep from Lake Havasu City, AZ His name is Bob **. His attention to detail and professional courtesy was very well received. While neither of us have used the final product {obviously} I feel confident we will be pleased.

Neptune Society expert review by David Chandler, Ph.D.

The Neptune Society is one of America’s largest providers of cremation services. The company was founded in 1973. Its headquarters are in Plantation, Florida. The Neptune Society has over 45 locations nationwide.

• Cremation planning: The Neptune Society offers cremation planning services. These services help people develop a funeral plan.

• Immediate needs services: The Neptune Society offers immediate need services. You can either report a loved one’s passing online or call Neptune Society directly.

• Service for veterans: The Neptune Society offers special services for veterans. They help families with VA reimbursement for services, headstones and certificates.

• Online resources: The Neptune Society website hosts a number of online resources. These include articles and information about cremation and funeral planning.

• Resource videos and guide: Neptune Society provides informational online videos about cremation and funeral planning. You can also request a free planning guide.

• Best for: those planning for cremation, those needing immediate service and families of veterans.

Profile picture of David Chandler, Ph.D.
David Chandler, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.

Neptune Society Company Information