Call toll free
4.44/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Neptune Society is one of the largest cremation services providers in the nation. With over 40 years of experience and with more than 45 locations nationwide, Neptune Society has assisted many in carrying out final wishes for their loved ones with dignity and respect, but most importantly, in an affordable manner. Whether you are planning ahead or have an immediate need, Neptune Society is here for you. Contact us today to learn more about our plans and services.

529 Neptune Society Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

My dad and mom got a flyer from Neptune Society many years ago and we chose them because of the overall cost and what the plan consisted of. We can pre-pay it and we don't have to worry about it. Also, the reps were great. Unfortunately, we had to use the plan for my dad several years ago and it was a difficult experience that they helped make easier and smoother for us.

Get expert buying tips about Cremation and Funeral Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Jessica ** spent several hours with me going over what I could purchase for me and for my husband. She was very helpful. But, now I admit the Memory Chest and the Planning Guide I find very difficult to understand. I am thinking of possibly contacting Jessica again and asking for her help in understanding the Memory Chest and the Planning Guide. I will see if she can do that.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

The process was very smooth and comforting. Everyone with whom we dealt was pleasant and professional. There were, however, and continue to be, excessive numbers of mailings which is beginning to be annoying. Other than that, we are pleased.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We lived from Ohio. We were snow bears come down, had a condo in Boca Raton. I figured if something happened to me, I have cemetery plots in Ohio. I have two children buried up there so I wanted to go back. That's where I was born and raised. I ran across Neptune's ad, had a salesperson come out to the house and she talked to me and my wife. She gave me all the options, and I signed up to have the body taken back, at that time, if something happened to me and that was why I took care of transportation.

Having pre-planned services took the pressure off. My wife ended up getting Alzheimer's and so everything was taken care of and we didn’t have to worry about. I didn’t have to leave anything to my kids. We're gonna go back in the spring and take my wife's ashes home. Their team was first class and I was very pleased. I'm gonna be taken care of by Neptune, and when I signed up with them, it was a very good experience under the circumstances. I would recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I travel and I liked Neptune's worldwide pickup anywhere, where I'm gonna kickoff at to. Their team was excellent and Jessica was an angel. She knew everything, presented herself very well, she was very convincing and it worked out well, plus she's Canadian. I took advantage of the $500 down and $50 a month. I could pay it off now, but I just wanted to see if I could still get the $200 thing if I paid it in cash, like my buddy did. We went on the two-for-plan, and he paid it all off at once and his was $200 less. Somebody told me if I did it within 30 days, then I could probably do the same thing. I called them and asked about that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neptune Society?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My parents purchased packages with Neptune Society and when they passed, I worked with the local Charlotte office. The local manager explained how the process was gonna work and then he went above and beyond and got us additional death certificates for when we needed them. We didn’t have to worry about any of the details of the funeral. My wife and I are gonna purchase our own packages.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My mom paid for her cremation through Neptune Society. When she passed away, I called Neptune within hours and they were very comforting. They were awesome every step along the way, understanding the process and the paperwork. After I picked up my mom's ashes, which was traumatic enough, I went back and asked them to separate some of the ashes into a separate urn 'cause I didn’t want to do it myself and they said no problem. What was great about the pre-planned service was that I didn’t have to think about it. There were no questions, it was literally like the simplest thing ever. I'm very grateful as well.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My father purchased a policy from Neptune Society and the guy who sold him the policy in Florida was a nightmare. When I worked with him, he wouldn't give me simple information like whether or not my father's policy was paid off and how it would work. I was five minutes away from calling the Attorney-General 'cause I felt like it was some kind of scam because he doesn’t answer simple questions.

Still, once we got to the lady in Louisville, Sarah, our experience was good. At the time, I was running late because I live in Cleveland and the funeral was in Kentucky, so I had to drive down and she stayed later at her office on Friday for me to get down there to sign the papers. She followed up and explained everything really well. Everything she said she was gonna do got done. The ashes were there for me once she said they'd be there.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Everything has been fine when I've worked with Neptune's team. I bought their pre-planning service about 10 years ago and I've been recommending them thus far.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Neptune Society's team has been really good. They are very supportive and willing to answer questions. They walked me through the whole process.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My experience with Neptune Society was wonderful from start to finish. I first talked to Joe over the phone and made arrangements to meet with him at their office in Louisville. Joe was very personable, knowledgeable, and compassionate. After my Aunt passed away I got a call from Sara the funeral director and she also was very compassionate expressing her condolences. As time passed and I had more dealings with her I knew that she was also very personable and knowledgeable. What impressed me most though is both how genuine they both were. Every detail from beginning to end was handled with fidelity. I would highly recommend Neptune Society to anyone considering cremation for their self or a family member.

Neptune Society response

Hello Carolyn, we would first like to express our condolences for the passing of your aunt. On behalf of Joe, Sara, and the Louisville Team, we are honored that you and your family chose us to take care of her cremation prearrangement needs during these difficult times. We understand that it is a privilege to serve you and your family with dignity, respect, and compassionate genuine care during the time of need, and we appreciate the trust that you put in us to handle these final affairs. We want to thank you again for allowing us the honor of serving your family and taking care of your aunt!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Hello. We used the Neptune Society for the cremation of my father, Myron **. He died on December 10. Pick up of his body was prompt, and we are grateful. However, from that point, service went downhill. It was very difficult to reach the assigned agent, Carolyn **, who often did not return calls and who did not send a contract by the promised date of December 14. We returned this and paid the following week. It is now 28 January, and we still have not received my father's remains.

Neptune Society response

Daniel, we wish to express our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your father. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service, and we deeply apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced with any communication issues and delays with your father's cremated remains. It is our understanding that our Service Manager Paul, has reached out to the Next of Kin, and she explained that the communication has been great and that her only concern was that she beat us to us calling her about having your father's cremated remains in our possession and ready for pick up. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention as we listen to all criticism and take steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again. We apologize again for the inconvenience and for not meeting your expectations, but please understand that our priority of communication is always with the designated Next of Kin.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

The very worst experience. It has taken almost a month now to cremate my father. Starting from paperwork they filled out incorrectly to wrong spelling of names. Then the employee supposedly fired. Many phone calls from my mother later new paperwork was sent and overnighted back. Only to find out 3 weeks later he had still not been cremated. I called today waited 3 hours for the manager Mike to return my call to sign and argue with me about how he fixed the paperwork but had no idea he had 1 bad apple as a employee. They still have not order death certificates that were paid for. DO NOT use this service. It's not worth the hassle of how they handle your love one's remains.

Neptune Society response

Alicia, we wish to express our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your father. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service, and we deeply apologize for the dissatisfaction you have experienced with our services. It is our understanding that the Death Certificates we overnighted to the NOK early this week. Please know that we appreciate your feedback because we listen to all criticism and take steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and for not meeting your expectations.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I've been having an excellent experience with Neptune Society. The reps whom I worked with were absolutely wonderful. They were very professional and pleasant. Every detail was covered. Also, I liked their price and the fact that I could be anywhere and they're gonna take care of me. I highly recommend them.

Neptune Society response

Charlotte, please accept our condolences on the passing of your loved one. We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with our professional and pleasant services and that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

My first experience with Neptune was about five years ago when my mother died. I would have given them five stars then. This past time my husband died on November 6th, and based on my past experience, I looked toward Neptune again. The ashes were not ready for me to pick them up until over two months later. Some of the issues were not Neptune’s fault, but I am very dissatisfied with their lack of communication regarding the delays. Each and every time I had to initiate a call to them to ask what was going on. When I called the first week in January I was told my husband had been cremated on 12/19-but no let me know, despite my mounting anxiety, and many phone calls to them concerning the delays.

Neptune Society response

Lyn, we wish to express our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your husband. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service, and we deeply apologize for any dissatisfaction you are experienced with the lack of communication from our behalf, delays and the mourning anxiety that we caused you and your family. It is our understanding that our Service manager contacted you to provide our apologies and take full blame for the poor communication from our staff. We are very sorry that this happened. We treat every deceased loved one as if they were our own family member. Please understand that we listen to all criticism and take steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

It has been almost 4 weeks since my mom's (Donna **) passing. She still has not been cremated, no death certificates, no urn etc... Very disappointing this time. We have had 3 family members use your service in the past 3 years. It was never this bad. My mom passed Dec 29th. I have received nothing yet. I don't even know if I have been charged.

Neptune Society response

Lisa, we wish to express our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your mother. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service, and we deeply apologize for any dissatisfaction you are experiencing with the delays of cremation and death certificates. Due to a new state registration system on the Vital Statistics section, many processes are behind across the state. It is our understanding that we have contacted you to provide transparency with this delay and we assured you that you and your family are not the only ones affected by this state introduction. We are very sorry that this happened. We treat every deceased loved one as if they were our own family member. Please understand that we listen to all criticism and take steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The service was amazing. Sara is prompt and efficient. She is very caring in her approach. She is always willing to help in any way she can. Thank you for making our experience a easy one in a tough year.

Neptune Society response

Carrie, please accept our condolences on the passing of your loved one. We really appreciate your feedback and on behalf of Sara and the Minneapolis team of Neptune Society, we thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with Sara's amazing, prompt and caring services and also that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Cremation is the most natural, economical, and responsible way to deal with end of life. The staff at Neptune Society explained all of the issues involved in the process and provided a very reasonable payment plan.

Neptune Society response

Lonnie, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Fort Myers, FL office.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

After purchasing my plan and letting the cancellation deadline lapse, I read the reviews about how your "Dual Contract" scheme works. Mea Culpa and Caveat Emptor. My fault entirely. I was also assuming,(my fault again!) that the memorial chest would be provided at the time of need. Instead, I have taken delivery of this hideous box that I'll probably donate or pitch; my wish is for my ashes to be scattered. My son is aware of all of this and will hold you to the contract for the actual transport of my remains and subsequent cremation. Good salesmanship, customer gullibility. Hope you're proud of this business model.

Neptune Society response

Hi, Mr. Garee, our sales manager Doug Shipley from the Columbus, OH office of Neptune Society, has been calling you since January 24th, 2019, and left you various messages to address your concerns but we have not heard back. Please feel free to call him back at any time, as he will be ready to assist you and clear up any confusion in regards to your contract and merchandise. Thank you in advance!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

This was the first time I've had to deal with a death in the family. I've never had to make arrangements before let alone for my mother who was way too young but God needed her more than I do. Christopher the man first I've spoke to the whole time has been absolutely amazing... extremely caring and gentle to my needs and my family's needs thankfully for them has been a very easy process so we could all morn and start to heal. I appreciate them more than they will ever know.

Neptune Society response

Lorraine, please accept our condolences on the passing of your mother. We really appreciate your feedback and on behalf of Christopher and the Pompano team of Neptune Society, we thank you for sharing your experience online. We are honored to hear that you were satisfied with Christopher's caring and gentle services and that we were able to help you and your family during this difficult time.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Alvin is a great person, great human being. He definitely shows compassion. He did my sister and he did my dad it still hurts... He’s door-to-door beautiful service and yes I would recommend quite a few people to the company.

Neptune Society response

Felicite, please accept our condolences on the passing of both your father and sister. We really appreciate hearing your feedback and your experience online with Mr. Alvin. We are pleased to hear that you and your family are satisfied with his amazing compassion, love, and care for the families that he takes into his care during these difficult times. Thank you for letting us know that you are satisfied with our beautiful services and please know that we are always here to help. Take care.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My experience in setting up arrangements for my pre-needs went smoothly. It has been easy to set up and payments are made monthly. The staff were professional and helpful. It's nice to know that this has been taken care of.

Neptune Society response

Rita, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Denver, CO office.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Neptune Society offers such a comprehensive and efficient service for veterans and their spouses. And with my father having been a World War II vet, it seemed like a good and sound choice for them for their final arrangements. We met with a lady whose name is Sara from their office in Louisville, Kentucky, and she was very compassionate and thorough in all of our business dealings. Our family liked the efficiency of being able to sail right through, and for the most part, the various details that we had to go through when my mom passed. I would recommend Neptune Society highly to anyone who is eligible for such services.

Neptune Society response

Hello Brian, we would first like to express our condolences for the passing of your mother. On behalf of Sara and Neptune Society, we are honored that you and your family chose us to take care of the cremation prearrangement needs. We understand that it is a privilege to serve you and your family with dignity and respect during the time of need, and we appreciate the trust that you put in us to handle these final affairs. Thank you for your kind words and take care.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Our dear cousin died in the early morning of December 22, 2018. On December 26, we had completed the paperwork as requested after correcting the many errors on the first one we had received which included a wrong birth date in several of the pages. January 4, 2018 we got back to Tucson and discovered our cousin had not yet been cremated and no death certificates were yet available. We can’t finalize any estate issues until we have death certificates and are devastated that nothing has happen since we left Tucson in December. We live 1400 miles away and expected everything would be ready for us. We will never recommend Neptune to anyone after the very poor service we have received!!!

Neptune Society response

Ms. Cotter, we wish to express our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your cousin. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service, and we deeply apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced with the duration of completion for the cremation and the death certificates. We are honored that Doug was able to personally take care of the service in a kind, caring and professional manner. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and for not meeting your expectations.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Neptune Society was quick to respond. I called them one day just to find out where they were located, and then I had to make an emergency phone call the next day saying that I needed their services because my husband passed away that day. They told me to come right up and that they would take care of me. So, I did. They explained everything to me, they were more than considerate, and it was just wonderful experience.

We did check on a few of other companies before we made the decision to go to Neptune Society, and I didn’t like the feeling when I walked in. But with Neptune Society, as soon as my son and I walked in the door, we made the right decision. When we met with Jason, the manager at Neptune, and told him what we wanted, there was no pushing about trying to get us to add things to what we were looking for. We got the death certificate complimentary and they also included a beautiful red mahogany box. I would highly recommend them.

Neptune Society response

Hi Judy, thank you so much for sharing your experience with Neptune Society. We are very sorry for the loss of your husband. We appreciate your feedback and we are honored that your son chose us to help you through this difficult time. On behalf of Jason and the Fort Myers team of Neptune Society, we thank you for sharing your experience online and we are glad that you are satisfied with our services.

Resolution response: Jan. 4, 2019

The Neptune Society corporate office contacted me. We went through the various issues which I raised in my review. 1. They were contacted by the hospital to retrieve my fathers remains and did not get him on their own. This puts the mistake on the hospital who is reimbursing me for the cost of the wrong transfer. 2. The company offered to refund the cost of the transfer but I declined since the hospital is reimbursing me. 3. Managers at local franchises should be given the latitude to waive all fees when this type of screwed up situation happens. In short, this terrible situation should not have happened and I believe they will fix it with procedures going forward.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY! My father passed on Christmas, a major holiday. I spoke to the manager Trina at the Altamonte Springs location about this company. She stated it was Christmas and there was no one to help and I stated I was not making any decisions at that time and could she call me the following day. At 2 pm she called me and I stated I could not speak to her. I stated I would contact her later as we had not made a decision about which company we were using. I called the hospital to inform them to inform the company to pick up the remains and I find out the Neptune Society ILLEGALLY picked up my father's remains at 2:45 pm. I have legal documentation from the hospital showing that this company ILLEGALLY transported the remains of my father to their facility.

When I call them Trina states that she would get him transferred to the correct place and would get any fees waived. About an hour later I am informed I am being charged $ 250 for their illegal mistake and unless I pay by credit card immediately they won't release him. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. They are simply a sales office that represents a funeral home in town. They obviously are unprofessional and unable to actually perform the proper handling of a person's remains.

Neptune Society response

Donna, we wish to express our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your father. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service, and we deeply apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced with the miscommunication, but mainly for the mistake that took place with the released of your father into our care without a signed authorization. It is our understanding that our Regional Manager reached out to you and did explain the events that took place through this inconvenience that you and your family encountered. Again, we are very sorry that this happened. We treat every deceased loved one as if they were our own family member. Please understand that we listen to all criticism and take steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, also thank you for your understanding of this situation and for your cooperation and time.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have known about the Neptune Society for decades, and I can say that their travel protection plan in particular was primary in my choice. My husband travels frequently for research and business, and I am relieved to know that if he should die abroad, I will be able to retrieve his cremains safely and securely. Knowing that our children will not be burdened with making last minute arrangements for each of us is also a great relief. The pricing of the complete service is very reasonable, the explanation of how the service works is very clear. The representative who helped us make these arrangements (Jonathan) was kind, respectful and very helpful in explaining the service package. Thank you for being there.

Neptune Society response

Marie, we welcome you and are happy to have you as one of our customers. We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your purchased services and honored that we were able to help you with your pre-planning. On behalf of Jonathan and the Sherman Oaks team, we would like to thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your time. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out or contact the Neptune Society of Sherman Oaks, CA office.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Salesman did a good job and was informative. Learned about the price increase from other sources over last year. As you all united with National, Gouging would be a term used these days. Looking at other options.

Neptune Society response

Hello Joey, Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service, and we deeply apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced with our prices. We appreciate your feedback and we thank you for your time. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations. Take care.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Not only is Neptune overpriced, they also do not have excellent operations and you can do better. Neptune talked my dying father into purchasing a "pre-need" package (including cremation services, transportation of remains, and an overpriced urn) and provided a "membership" card that no doubt gave him peace of mind and a sense of having handled affairs in advance of his death. After he passed, we called Neptune to start the process and they failed to inform us that they would need on-average 15 days from start-to-finish. We set a funeral date 9 days from the date of call, and because Neptune doesn't work on Sat-Sun, we discovered on Mon that Neptune could not actually meet our timing demands. As we proceeded to collect the necessary information for the Death Certificate, there were many back-and-forth emails with many inaccuracies and delays as their staff were busy with other clients.

Finally, with relatives from Asia already flying in for the funeral, we lost confidence in their operation and despite the pre-paid services, we started dialing a local reviews site's highly-rated mortuaries all morning -- so in the midst of our grief, we were calling firms saying, "Hi, I need a body burned in 6 days, can you do it?" When we signed on with another highly-rated cremation service, we told them we were switching over from Neptune and they laughed and say "yeah, that happens a lot." That mortuary used Docusign to collect all the necessary information, was highly responsive, and picked up my father's body the same day we signed the contract! They are on track to meet their commitment for a fast turnaround funeral. If you don't have a tight deadline, Neptune might be fine. But in our case, they couldn't provide assurances on a short timeline so it wasn't a good fit. I wish they had told that to us at the beginning and offered us other options.

Neptune Society response

Elliott, we wish to express our heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your father. Neptune Society always works to provide the highest quality of service, and we deeply apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced with the miscommunication of our timeline and for the paperwork process. It is our understanding that our Regional Manager called you and spoke to you about your interaction with us. We are aware that he extended his condolences, apologized for the poor experience and he took the full blame. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and for not meeting your expectations.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

When my father passed, Neptune Society was the best option for us in many ways. Removing him from our home was done in the most caring and gentle way. It was also very affordable to respect my father's wishes of being cremated. The impact of losing someone you love makes it difficult to focus on what needs to be done and they helped us with every step. Amy will forever hold a place in my heart for all the things she did for my Daddy and our family.

Neptune Society response

Hello Lillian, we would first like to express our condolences for the passing of your father. On behalf of Amy and the New Orleans Team, we are honored that you and your family chose us to take care of his cremation needs during these difficult times. We understand that it is a privilege to serve you and your family with dignity and respect during the time of need, and we appreciate the trust that you put in us to handle these final affairs. We want to thank you again for allowing us the honor of serving your family and taking care of your father!

Neptune Society expert review by David Chandler, Ph.D.

The Neptune Society is one of America’s largest providers of cremation services. The company was founded in 1973. Its headquarters are in Plantation, Florida. The Neptune Society has over 45 locations nationwide.

• Cremation planning: The Neptune Society offers cremation planning services. These services help people develop a funeral plan.

• Immediate needs services: The Neptune Society offers immediate need services. You can either report a loved one’s passing online or call Neptune Society directly.

• Service for veterans: The Neptune Society offers special services for veterans. They help families with VA reimbursement for services, headstones and certificates.

• Online resources: The Neptune Society website hosts a number of online resources. These include articles and information about cremation and funeral planning.

• Resource videos and guide: Neptune Society provides informational online videos about cremation and funeral planning. You can also request a free planning guide.

Profile picture of David Chandler, Ph.D.
David Chandler, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.

Neptune Society Company Information