4.68/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

If you are overwhelmed by credit card debt or high-interest rates, United Debt Counselors (UDC) is here to provide customers with customized debt settlement services to get you out of debt and back to financial freedom. UDC is headquartered in Plano, Texas and has over 1,000 representatives in 18 states ready to provide the guidance you need to navigate your debt settlement program.

Our five-step approach includes:

1. We create a custom plan for your needs.

2. A field representative in one of 18 states meets with you face-to-face to review enrollment paperwork.

3. Once enrolled, you will have the option to create a special purpose savings account with a third-party financial institution in order to accrue funds for enrollment fees and settlement payments.

4. You and UDC agree on a monthly payment program.

5. Once you have accrued enough funds, we will approach the first creditor with a settlement offer - typically 30-40% of what is owed.

United Debt Counselors has representatives in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, DC, MA, MI, NC, NE, NM, NY, OK, VA, TX, ND, LA, and OH.

United Debt Counselors Video
View More View More

131 United Debt Counselors Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

As I was watching TV, United Debt Counselors was advertised and I loved it. At the same time, I was looking at all my credit card bills. I was doing monthly payments and the interest was killing me. I had gotten sick and I was on a short term disability, which didn’t even cover half of my check. No matter how much you make, New York State disability only allows you $170 a week. It was no way that my bills, my rent, life insurance and medical would have been covered. So, I decided to take all my credit cards and put them in a program. United Debt Counselors was the first one that popped up when I turned the TV on, so I went for it.

The enrollment was done within the same day. When I called, the first agent I spoke with was David. I told him my situation and credit card history. He asked me some questions and I gave him the answers in one day. He said that a young lady was gonna call me within 24 or 48 hours, business days, and that she was gonna come by my home to sit down and talk. She called me the next day and came to me. She told me the process, how long it would take and my responsibility.

The rep convinced me that I can trust the program with the identity theft and all the craziness that’s going on nowadays. She built up my confidence that I can trust giving her personal information - my personal security and my checking account number. I'm the type of person that’s very hard to get some information from, especially if I don’t feel comfortable, but she made me feel that I made the right decision in the program that I chose to help me with my credit card issue.

The rep asked me the best week of the month that I can have the payment taken out of my checking account that would not interfere with my other bills like medicine, cable, life insurance, laundry, food, and cleaning bills. She said, “Well, you pick the day of the month, and it will only be on that day we will take out the payment. We won't interfere with any of your lifestyle.” It was the 15th of every month, but my pay period was every Wednesday and the 15th did not fall on the Wednesday of each month on the same date, and it was clashing with the due dates of my other bills. I said, “No. I have to pick a week where I don’t have bills to pay except my credit card payments.” And they allowed me to change the dates where it was perfect.

However, I got laid off. I called the program and I explained my situation and I gave them any documents that they needed to check to verify my issue. They worked with me to cut my monthly payments by a few dollars. I was having them take out $331.98, so they cut it down to $302 when I was on unemployment, and it worked out perfectly. But they told me that I have to add an extra couple of months. I was originally supposed to be finished by July, but being that they had to cut my payments for a few dollars, I had to extend it to October, which I had no problems with.

I was so relieved that I could pay them in 24 months. All my questions were answered and they called occasionally to check on me to see if everything was okay or if I had any concerns. Working with United Debt Counselors taught me a lesson. Too much of anything is not good for you and you can get lost and get carried away that you will find yourself in hot water real fast. The program also taught me that I have to be aware of my spending, my decisions and how it would impact my lifestyle. I've learned to not live above the means.

And because of that experience, I recommended to some of my coworkers that they also put their credit cards in the United Debt solution, and they have. United Debt Counselors has some of my coworkers as clients now and some have the 18-month program, while one has the 24. And now, they are trying to convince their family members to also join the program. United Debt Counselors is doing excellent.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a detailed and thorough review. We can't tell you how much we appreciate that. We are so excited to know that you had such a wonderful experience from start to finish. Thank you for sharing our program with your co-workers and clients. If you ever need anything in the future please do not hesitate to let us know!

Get expert buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have been placed on unexpected disability. I have a condition of a bone deterioration and I had hip replacement. I worked through those times, and I had totally figured maybe I'll go through the whole 65, and it didn’t happen. I got a bad knee, and they told me I had to go on disability which I wasn’t prepared for financially because I needed those extra five years to clear out my credit card debt.

I happened to get the call from United Debt Counselors one day, and it sounded like a good idea for me. The bank told me I should have asked them. They could've done it, but I was very busy then. I have a lot of family problems. United Debt fell right into my lap. So, I decided to go for it. The enrollment was very easy. The person who came to my house did the notary. She told me the paperwork, but the girl on the phone was the one that told me everything, and why I wanted to join was because of that.

I have a little bit of a complain because I was told at the very beginning that one of the credit cards might be a problem due to the fact that the biggest one was from the bank that I did business with. It ended up a problem for real. I was supposed to be finished in October. We set it up to be 256 and when they told me that, I increased it to 300 a month only, but it didn’t make much of a difference because some of the other ones were asking for more money than they could talk them down to. So, now I'm still paying off two more bills. It didn’t stay the way it should have, but hopefully by April, I'll be finished with that.

Also, there were two bills that looked like they were gonna be left behind. And I didn’t want to go past the timing that they had given me because I was already anxious. It's been three years. Now, I want it finished. By the time we got to it, it was too late. They said I had to finish it off, so she set me up with what I have to do, and I followed through, and that was it. Working with United Debt allowed me to have a tight budget now, but because of other helping people, I'm all right. I'm not in the street and I'm not hungry. I would recommend United Debt to a friend.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write our company a review. We really appreciate it. We are so glad that we were able to provide you some relief during a difficult time. If you ever need anything else, please feel free to let us know.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We were over our heads in credit card debt and we attempted to short sell our home, which didn't work out very well, so we were deep under. There was an option of going bankrupt, but we thought we could handle the debt consolidation without going bankrupt. After doing a very short interview, we decided to look into a debt counseling service with United Debt Counselors. We made the appointment and we did the eye-to-eye type of meeting. We got the information that they said they would send and we got the packet within 24 hours. The information that was in there was self-explanatory. United Debt Counselors said they were gonna send somebody over and go over the paperwork with us. Then, they notarized it at the same time.

It worked out at that time for us because we were more looking at a bankruptcy thing, but I was afraid I made a little too much money to qualify and come to find out that was exactly what would have happened. I would have been denied the bankruptcy option and I still would have had to turn to something to assist our credit. Also, the bankruptcy would have affected us a lot longer.

We interacted with the debt consultants on each one of the different credit cards. A couple of the credit card companies didn't wanna work with the debt consolidation because although there is a federal debt act, they said they do not have to negotiate with any type of debt consolidation type of company. The first company took me to court and United Debt Counselors negotiated out of court settlement. We might have saved almost $4,000 from the total amount that was on the card. There were two other ones that we settled left that were settled between 40 and 45% of the debt, which was a lot, and it definitely helped us.

And with our Discovery, we offered to settle half a decent price, but once we said we would, they re-neg on us. They found out that my Discovery card was already assigned to a law firm and that particular law firm requested my wife's Discovery card. We went to the county attorney and he said it was illegal. When the law firm agreed to settle my account, they had a binding contract with us.

The particular credit card company used all my data and my information and they turned around and used it against my wife. They did insider trading against me. They knew what I made or how much it was that I was ready to settle. We settled the first card and not more than 30 days later, we were getting a letter, another lawsuit for my wife's Discovery credit card from the same law firm. It was illegal, however, we have too little for us to stand on at the time. The county attorney's office helped us out and they gave us a couple of options, but the options were a lot of money out of our pockets that we could not afford. I'd recommend United Debt Counselors and as a matter of fact, we have recommended them to a couple of other people.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We greatly appreciate it. We are so happy to hear that you had such a positive experience with us. If you need anything else in the future do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I’m getting close to 60 and there are some debts that I’ve been struggling to take care of over the last couple of years. I would like to get this all said and done and pay all my bills while I’m still in a good position to do so and not have to go into retirement with a couple of thousand dollars in debt still over my head. The enrollment process with United Debt Counselors went smoothly. Initially, I spoke to Duane but then they switched consultants and I dealt with another gentleman thereafter.

I’m on the road a lot, so I don’t have an hour or two hours to sit down at my desk and take note of the approval numbers and all kinds of information. The only hours I’m available is on Saturdays, but they don’t have any Saturday hours, so that’s unfortunate. The second consultant, however, was willing to go of his my way to accommodate me. He told me to call him and he would let me know what was going on, and we could come to terms. So I called him, and he was quite accommodating. He explained the entire process to me very thoroughly, and he did a very good job of answering my questions.

I also worked with Lisa who really seemed to be genuinely concerned. She claimed to have many years of experience in handling cases such as mine, and she had a lot of really good answers. I had a couple of questions for her as well and she was really quick to respond. She said she would be handling my case for an unspecified period of time beyond that point. She said she would be more than glad to look into it and see what she could do to help me out. However, she is probably no longer with United Debt Counselors because when I called one time and I asked to speak with her, somebody said that Lisa is no longer in their department. So then, right near the end, I worked with a different lady and she was good too.

My payment plan with United Debt Counselors went very well even though I changed my mind a couple of times because I got my local credit union involved, which we didn’t really wanna do. United Debt Counselors gave me some misinformation, telling me that it was pretty much an all for nothing, so I had to throw everything into the bucket and pay on everything. They charged me a percentage as a fee based on my total debt load so I decided to take one or two accounts out of that, as that would’ve changed that fee. It would’ve been different though if we would recalculate everything from day one, but it turned out good in the long run, although it probably cost me a few dollars more than it should have.

I took one account out of the bucket to my local credit union, and then I threw another credit card back in. There were some additions and some subtractions here and there, but it all balanced out okay. There were some adjustments on my part and as far as United Debt Counselors’ end, it was dealt with very smoothly. United Debt Counselors helped me get rid of that debt load and it has worked out well. My credit score took a bit of a dive for a short while but right now it is about 760 and I have a very light debt load.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are so happy to hear that you had a good experience. If you ever need anything else do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

The communication with United Debt Counselors was good. I was concerned about putting my social security number out there, where a lot of people won't even, and you have to give them information first before they will do any other communication. And they were able to email stuff and do other forms of communication other than just by the phone to verify. I had to pay $5,000 initially towards the program. Then, I got my first negotiation letter saying, "This credit card will accept this amount. Do you want to pay it off?" I wouldn't give them any extra money because I was still kinda skeptical. But I finally got onto it and once a month I've seen a letter come back from that first credit card company, then I started sending way bigger payments. That was how I got it off my records after.

Initially, I had seven credit cards that we were supposed to do. They told me that they would take care of all of them but then they said that Target doesn't work with them. It wasn't said upfront. They should know going into it that Target doesn't deal with them because it's not just me, it's everybody that they deal with. They didn't single me out and say Target won't accept their offer. They wouldn't even talk to them. I had a $3,000-credit card I still had to pay off on top of that and that $3,000 was included in the part of my payment. It was part of my monthly. So, I feel like I got shafted about $3,000 from that.

Everything was significant other than the Target thing. My last credit card, the biggest one that I have, was over $18,000 and they negotiated it for $7,900. I had $38,000 in credit card debt and I paid it off in 19 months. I finished the program 15 months early because I was focused on getting everything off my credit and I took care of the Target one on my own.

The negotiator that I had for me just had a lot of people under him but he was good. It's just sometimes, it would take him a week to get back with me even through email. But I understand they were busy. Other than that, every time I would have my monthly payment come out, I would get a courtesy call the next business day to see if I had any questions. Also, when somebody would reach out to them and accepted the offer for what amount, they would contact me as soon as they would get it. Jeff was always really good when we spoke, all the way up to my last transaction. My payments were just too much for me. One of my credit cards' loan was $500 and what I was paying them was $562 a month. To get all of that off from underneath me was great. I would definitely recommend United Debt Counselors.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our company. We are happy to know that overall your experience was positive. If you ever need anything else do not hesitate to let us know.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Debt Counselors?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I had gotten in debt. I’ve gotten so many credit cards and I couldn’t get them all paid off. I saw an advertisement of United Debt Counselors and I signed up for their program. I went straight to them, talked to the girl, and I was impressed with them. They did a good job and helped me get all my bills paid off. And it’s all through now. It took over a three-year period to complete and their program worked out really well for me. It helped me get in a good situation.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write our company a review, we appreciate it. We are so happy to hear the process went so well from beginning to end. If you ever need anything else do not hesitate to let us know!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I completed a debt consolidation program with United Debt in about two and a half years. They worked with me on a payment plan that was convenient for me, and they were checking on me to see how I was doing. United Debt made life easier.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review, that means a lot. We are very happy to hear that the payments were in line and that you got done in less than 3 years. We are here for you if you ever need anything else.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

When I had credit card debt, I called United Debt, and they sounded like a good thing to do. The enrollment process over the phone was really thorough and good, and the reps explained everything in small details. The payment plan was a little hard at first, but then it got better and I completed the program in two years. I would recommend it.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review, we appreciate that! We are excited to hear that the process was thorough, you stuck with it and got out of your debt in two years. If you ever need us in the future let us know.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

We were having issues with our credit cards which led us to United Debt Counselors. I signed up and their enrolment process was very simple. The program has helped me pay off all those credit cards and get out of debt. They worked with me and if I didn't have the money for a particular month, I call them and they postpone the payment to the following month. Since completing their program, we don't use credit cards as much as we used to.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are thrilled to hear that you had a great experience and that you are now able to live debt-free! If you ever need anything else please do not hesitate to let us know!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I was sent a letter in the mail by United Debt Counselors and at that time, I was over my limit in bills. I decided to call the number and the lady talked to me. She explained to me the program and I agreed to what she was saying. I read the letter that others were sending me and they had a limit part so I didn’t like that. They were also charging me too much. I couldn’t afford it that was why I wanted to do the consolidation. United Debt Counselors came in at the right time because I had moved to Louisiana, and that was when they sent the letter.

United Debt Counselors took a lot of stress off me. They talked to the creditors and they negotiated with them. Everybody that was a part of that program working there was very kind and they wanted to make sure that they could meet my needs. They were wonderful. They answered my questions and they went beyond what I asked for.

The program was excellent because a couple of years later, I could not pay the amount that they had set me on, and they worked with me. I had paid enough into the program, and it paid off a lot of my credit cards. The program has worked for me to not get in debt anymore. I got the letter that I have graduated out of the program and my credit score has gone up. I'm thankful for that because I did apply for a major credit card as I needed one at least, and my credit score was 700. I have kept it and maintained at that place. I was very happy with United Debt Counselors and I still talk about it today. I referred it to a couple of people.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for taking the time to write our company a review. We are so glad to know we came into your life at the right time and were able to help you with your debt. We are here if you need anything else!

United Debt Counselors expert review by Barbara Friedberg

United Debt Counselors (UDC) is a debt settlement firm that helps people who have high credit card balances with high interest rates. UDC helps you combine all your debt into one bill with a lower interest rate, so you can pay off your debt earlier than if you did nothing.

• Reduced debt: UDC can help reduce the principal amount you owe to as little as 30 percent of your original debt.

• Online quote: You can get a quote online to see how United Debt Counselors can help with your debt settlement. You only need to tell them your name, phone number, email address and state of residence.

• In-person meeting: When you sign up for debt settlement from UDC, you’ll meet with a company representative in person. This gives you the chance to get answers to any questions you have and shows the company’s dedication to personal service.

• Service areas: UDC can help customers in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Louisiana, and Washington DC.

• Best for: consumers with high balances on high-interest credit cards.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg