It's that easy Request Information
4.36/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

If you are overwhelmed by credit card debt or high-interest rates, United Debt Counselors (UDC) is here to provide customers with customized debt settlement services to get you out of debt and back to financial freedom. UDC is headquartered in Plano, Texas and has over 1,000 representatives in 18 states ready to provide the guidance you need to navigate your debt settlement program.

Our five-step approach includes:

1. We create a custom plan for your needs.

2. A field representative in one of 18 states meets with you face-to-face to review enrollment paperwork.

3. Once enrolled, you will have the option to create a special purpose savings account with a third-party financial institution in order to accrue funds for enrollment fees and settlement payments.

4. You and UDC agree on a monthly payment program.

5. Once you have accrued enough funds, we will approach the first creditor with a settlement offer - typically 30-40% of what is owed.

United Debt Counselors has representatives in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, DC, MA, MI, NC, NE, NM, NY, OK, VA, TX, ND, LA, and OH.

United Debt Counselors Video
View More View More

93 United Debt Counselors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

When I went with United Debt, it was my husband that made me decide on it and the enrollment process was very easy. The rep gave me a lot of information. I was comfortable with her approach and she explained stuff to me that I didn't understand. The payment was okay and I enjoyed it. Working with United Debt was very good and they settled two credit cards that I had. I would recommend them.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write our company a review. We greatly appreciate it. We are thrilled to know that you had an excellent experience. If you ever need anything in the future please feel free to let us know.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I needed someone with more knowledge on what to do but the companies didn't care and wouldn't talk to me. If I could make the payments to what I can afford, that would have been all right, but they would not lower the payments for me and kept charging me 20%. It got to a point where I had only one other choice or it would have been to file bankruptcy but I decided to get United Debt Counselors' services. A rep came to my house and explained a lot of things. What he said ended up costing me more money and I couldn't afford anything but whatever it was, there was nothing I can do about it. I had to add the bills up and with my income coming in, I had to prove that I couldn't afford to pay the firm all this money they wanted. I had gone through my motion and paid all my bills. I would recommend United Debt Counselors.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We greatly appreciate it. We are so happy to hear that you had a positive experience. If you ever need anything else do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have been placed on unexpected disability. I have a condition of a bone deterioration and I had hip replacement. I worked through those times, and I had totally figured maybe I'll go through the whole 65, and it didn’t happen. I got a bad knee, and they told me I had to go on disability which I wasn’t prepared for financially because I needed those extra five years to clear out my credit card debt.

I happened to get the call from United Debt Counselors one day, and it sounded like a good idea for me. The bank told me I should have asked them. They could've done it, but I was very busy then. I have a lot of family problems. United Debt fell right into my lap. So, I decided to go for it. The enrollment was very easy. The person who came to my house did the notary. She told me the paperwork, but the girl on the phone was the one that told me everything, and why I wanted to join was because of that.

I have a little bit of a complain because I was told at the very beginning that one of the credit cards might be a problem due to the fact that the biggest one was from the bank that I did business with. It ended up a problem for real. I was supposed to be finished in October. We set it up to be 256 and when they told me that, I increased it to 300 a month only, but it didn’t make much of a difference because some of the other ones were asking for more money than they could talk them down to. So, now I'm still paying off two more bills. It didn’t stay the way it should have, but hopefully by April, I'll be finished with that.

Also, there were two bills that looked like they were gonna be left behind. And I didn’t want to go past the timing that they had given me because I was already anxious. It's been three years. Now, I want it finished. By the time we got to it, it was too late. They said I had to finish it off, so she set me up with what I have to do, and I followed through, and that was it. Working with United Debt allowed me to have a tight budget now, but because of other helping people, I'm all right. I'm not in the street and I'm not hungry. I would recommend United Debt to a friend.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write our company a review. We really appreciate it. We are so glad that we were able to provide you some relief during a difficult time. If you ever need anything else, please feel free to let us know.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

United Debt contacted me and told me what they could do. Though all my bills weren't behind, I had to let go of one bill behind in order for them to help me on it. The enrolment process worked well and the rep who came to help me enroll did a good job. United Debt was taking $260 a month out of my account automatically to work on what they were doing. I liked whenever they call and tell me if anything was settled. I just completed their program and they sent me a check back. They did a great job for me and I'm thankful for them.

United Debt Counselors response

We really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review, thank you. We are so happy to know that you had a positive experience. If you ever need anything else in the future do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We were over our heads in credit card debt and we attempted to short sell our home, which didn't work out very well, so we were deep under. There was an option of going bankrupt, but we thought we could handle the debt consolidation without going bankrupt. After doing a very short interview, we decided to look into a debt counseling service with United Debt Counselors. We made the appointment and we did the eye-to-eye type of meeting. We got the information that they said they would send and we got the packet within 24 hours. The information that was in there was self-explanatory. United Debt Counselors said they were gonna send somebody over and go over the paperwork with us. Then, they notarized it at the same time.

It worked out at that time for us because we were more looking at a bankruptcy thing, but I was afraid I made a little too much money to qualify and come to find out that was exactly what would have happened. I would have been denied the bankruptcy option and I still would have had to turn to something to assist our credit. Also, the bankruptcy would have affected us a lot longer.

We interacted with the debt consultants on each one of the different credit cards. A couple of the credit card companies didn't wanna work with the debt consolidation because although there is a federal debt act, they said they do not have to negotiate with any type of debt consolidation type of company. The first company took me to court and United Debt Counselors negotiated out of court settlement. We might have saved almost $4,000 from the total amount that was on the card. There were two other ones that we settled left that were settled between 40 and 45% of the debt, which was a lot, and it definitely helped us.

And with our Discovery, we offered to settle half a decent price, but once we said we would, they re-neg on us. They found out that my Discovery card was already assigned to a law firm and that particular law firm requested my wife's Discovery card. We went to the county attorney and he said it was illegal. When the law firm agreed to settle my account, they had a binding contract with us.

The particular credit card company used all my data and my information and they turned around and used it against my wife. They did insider trading against me. They knew what I made or how much it was that I was ready to settle. We settled the first card and not more than 30 days later, we were getting a letter, another lawsuit for my wife's Discovery credit card from the same law firm. It was illegal, however, we have too little for us to stand on at the time. The county attorney's office helped us out and they gave us a couple of options, but the options were a lot of money out of our pockets that we could not afford. I'd recommend United Debt Counselors and as a matter of fact, we have recommended them to a couple of other people.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We greatly appreciate it. We are so happy to hear that you had such a positive experience with us. If you need anything else in the future do not hesitate to let us know.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Debt Counselors?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I checked with the Better Business Bureau and United Debt Counselors had a positive rating so I thought I would at least check it out. They provided credit card consolidation and we discussed what I could handle as far as payment. They worked with me within that. I had three credit cards and as each one was finished, they would go to the second one and explain if there needed to be any change in the amount. We always worked it out to where I was able to take care of my other regular monthly bills without any stress.

They were very helpful in explaining any questions that I had or any concerns and they were never judgmental. They tried as much as possible like when I would get nervous from getting phone calls, they explained to me what the procedure would be to try to minimize that. Also, much of the time, I was able to get right through to someone and if they were away from their desk or not available right then, generally, within 24 hours, I got a call back. Overall, they were very easy to work with and pleasant to work with. Working with them helped me feel like I was out from under a lot of pressure.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. We really appreciate that. We are so thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experience with us. If you ever need us in the future, we are here for you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I got a letter from United Debt one time telling me that they'd help me consolidate anything. I decided I needed to do that, and the enrollment process went well. I wrote some letters and I put everything in their hands. They provided a consolidating and negotiating program for me. The cost of the service was very good and the reps handled everything very well. They called me with updates or to ask me if there were any questions I needed any help on. They kept up on everything, and although they didn't give me any timeline at first, they have now. In March, I'll be all done and I'll be okay. I'm ecstatic that everything's gonna be taken care of and I won't have to worry about any of that now. I've been satisfied with United Debt and I'm really glad that I went with them. They handled my problem very well.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for your review. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write it. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience. If you need anything else in the future just let us know.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

My wife had lost her job and we ended up living off credit cards for quite a while. But we got to the point where we couldn't keep up. United Debt Counselors was the one that I talked to that I liked. They had somebody come to the house and I gave him all my credit cards and the amounts. And then, United got back to me with a plan and we went from there. They told me that it was gonna be $568 and change for 36 months and it would be taken care of. I fulfilled my part. I did my 36 months and they took a payment out each month out of my account. But when it was all said and done, there were still two cards that weren't taken care of. So, somebody either lied to me, didn't do what they were supposed to do, or ended up giving more than they should have to a card.

Also, there was one woman that handled one of the cards because it had gone through an attorney. I was very disappointed in that overall aspect of it because I ended up paying 85% on that card. That wasn't how it was supposed to work, but I did it because I needed to get it taken care of. But other than that, they were fairly good about calling me and letting me know what was going on and then asking me if I had any questions. And the lady I dealt with mostly was always good and straight up with me. I would tell others who'd ask about United Debt to use their own judgment and I would let them know what my situation was at the end of 36 months.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. We are happy to hear that overall your experience was positive. However, if you still have concerns about any of the issues you had we are happy to help. Please feel free to contact us.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I had been struggling to make payments for a number of years already and it seemed to get nowhere. I was making payment after payment and I just can't get on top of what I owe so I was looking for a way out. Then I got a letter in the mail from United Debt which explained that if I was over $10,000 in debt, they could help me get out of it within a few years. I also got flyers at the same time from different companies but United Debt seemed clearer about what they were gonna help me do. I called them and I was completely taken care of over the phone. They made the process go easy and all I did was answer their questions and they took the ball and ran with it.

Talking with them was really easy. I would get a phone call every month checking in to see how I was feeling about the process and if I had any questions so I was never left in the dark as to what was going on. We also talked about what I was paying at the time in total to all the companies. They worked with me on how to get that payment down so that I would still be paying a significant amount of money just to get the debt down. I got a little relief at that time too that I could still live my life and not have to worry about where I was gonna come up with the payment every month. It's the easiest process I've ever been through. I've had the creditors try to work with me and all they wanted was more and more money. I made those payments every month with United Debt and now I'm debt free. I wanted to retire this year and I was able to do that so it had been incredible.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so very much for writing us a review. We greatly appreciate it! We are so happy that you had such a wonderful experience with our company. If you ever need anything else in the future, we are here for you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My husband had lost his job and we needed some help with the finances. I enrolled with United Debt and it was easy. Every time I call, I get somebody else. But it worked out pretty good. I like the calls that they give me every month to make sure everything was okay. I would have liked them to be a little more knowledgeable because I've asked them about the form that I have to fill out for the taxes if we have to and they said they didn’t know and to do it on my own. But overall I was satisfied with the service. They've helped me.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are pleased to hear that you had a good experience. If we can help you at all the future just let us know.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I was tired of paying out of my butt every month. I had a phone call with someone from United Debt Counselors and the rep told me about the process procedures which sounded good to me that would save me money in the future. Then, an appointment was set up with some other representatives to come to my house. The paperwork was filed and off we went from there. Their reps were all good. Everything with the debt consolidation process went pretty well with me, too. The monthly payment was a little high, though. It also took a little too long for them to make the settlements which got me a little upset. They told me it'd take four to four and a half years, but it ended up taking over five years. Other than that, it worked out in the end so I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. We are happy to hear that overall the experience you had was positive. If you ever need anything else in the future do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My husband lost his job and we needed to consolidate and settle our debts. We enrolled with United Debt Counselors, which was easy. We met the rep at Starbucks, set everything up and he was easy to talk to. Everything was fine and the monthly payment was perfect too. I completed the process and now, we're out of debt.

United Debt Counselors response

We really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. We are so glad to hear that you had such a positive experience with our company. If you ever need anything else in the future, we are here for you.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The people at United Debt Counselors were good. My wife and I talked to Dwayne and the reps were professional and friendly. They walked me through step by step and they helped me very well all the way through until I have completed the program. United Debt Counselors saved me some money and got rid of the debt that I needed to get rid off.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are excited to know that you had such a great experience with us. If you ever need anything else in the future just let us know.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I've seen United Debt Counselors advertised and I inquired about them. I was confident that they would do a good job. A representative then came to the house, talked me through everything and explained everything. She knew what she was doing and it went really smooth. I felt very comfortable working with my consultant, too. Now, I'm done paying off my two different outstanding debts and it was a big relief off of me. I’d recommend United Debt Counselors to anybody.

United Debt Counselors response

We really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. We are so happy to hear that you had such a good experience. If you ever need anything else just let us know.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We wanted to cut the bill of one credit card in half and we were approached by this company so we knew that they could do it. The enrollment was a very professional and honest transaction. We're making payments with them until it's all said and done, and the program has been helping out. It has cut down on my mother's payments on her bill here so she can catch up on another one. She's doing very well on what she's doing with this company. The people we've dealt with have also been professional and everything's been hunky dory. As a matter of fact, we were talking about United Debt Counselors the other day and my mother said that she hasn't heard anything from them. But I told her that that's good. Working with United Debt Counselors gives us less worries.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are very glad to hear that your mother has had such a good experience. If you all need anything else just let us know!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I’m getting close to 60 and there are some debts that I’ve been struggling to take care of over the last couple of years. I would like to get this all said and done and pay all my bills while I’m still in a good position to do so and not have to go into retirement with a couple of thousand dollars in debt still over my head. The enrollment process with United Debt Counselors went smoothly. Initially, I spoke to Duane but then they switched consultants and I dealt with another gentleman thereafter.

I’m on the road a lot, so I don’t have an hour or two hours to sit down at my desk and take note of the approval numbers and all kinds of information. The only hours I’m available is on Saturdays, but they don’t have any Saturday hours, so that’s unfortunate. The second consultant, however, was willing to go of his my way to accommodate me. He told me to call him and he would let me know what was going on, and we could come to terms. So I called him, and he was quite accommodating. He explained the entire process to me very thoroughly, and he did a very good job of answering my questions.

I also worked with Lisa who really seemed to be genuinely concerned. She claimed to have many years of experience in handling cases such as mine, and she had a lot of really good answers. I had a couple of questions for her as well and she was really quick to respond. She said she would be handling my case for an unspecified period of time beyond that point. She said she would be more than glad to look into it and see what she could do to help me out. However, she is probably no longer with United Debt Counselors because when I called one time and I asked to speak with her, somebody said that Lisa is no longer in their department. So then, right near the end, I worked with a different lady and she was good too.

My payment plan with United Debt Counselors went very well even though I changed my mind a couple of times because I got my local credit union involved, which we didn’t really wanna do. United Debt Counselors gave me some misinformation, telling me that it was pretty much an all for nothing, so I had to throw everything into the bucket and pay on everything. They charged me a percentage as a fee based on my total debt load so I decided to take one or two accounts out of that, as that would’ve changed that fee. It would’ve been different though if we would recalculate everything from day one, but it turned out good in the long run, although it probably cost me a few dollars more than it should have.

I took one account out of the bucket to my local credit union, and then I threw another credit card back in. There were some additions and some subtractions here and there, but it all balanced out okay. There were some adjustments on my part and as far as United Debt Counselors’ end, it was dealt with very smoothly. United Debt Counselors helped me get rid of that debt load and it has worked out well. My credit score took a bit of a dive for a short while but right now it is about 760 and I have a very light debt load.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are so happy to hear that you had a good experience. If you ever need anything else do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was trying to pay off a credit card debt and I sought United Debt as I could get some counseling so I could help myself. The rep made me feel comfortable and explained things well. I could really understand that debt settlement would be something helpful and it was not like I was abused and taken advantage of. She was so helpful and enrolling was easy. It was also comfortable agreeing to a certain dollar amount and it worked with me very well.

Every so often, different people would call and extend a courtesy of asking if I had any questions and letting me know where my balance was. They could answer any question I had. Towards the end, I was able to accelerate the program and we agreed on a different settlement amount, which I was able to pay very easily. I was able to pay my debt down and it didn't take that long until we completed the program.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. We are pleased to hear that you had such a fantastic experience with us. If you need anything else do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I had a lot of bills that I could not pay and I needed to do something ‘cause I didn’t know how. It was like a revolving door and I couldn’t get any of them cleared. I did some research online and I found United Debt Counselors. They seemed to be the best and they could make a settlement within a couple of days. The enrolment process was very well done. Someone came out, explained everything, and had me sign papers. They asked me what I had and we decided on three credit cards that I was gonna pay off then we just decided on an amount.

UDC did debt consolidation for me and when I had some questions, they answered my questions right away. They were very courteous too. They would call me once every 6 weeks and would leave a message if I didn’t answer, saying that I have to get the call if I had any concerns and that they'd make sure everything was okay. Whenever I got any notices in the mail, I would make copies for myself then I send it to them, and they would take care of them. I completed their program in October and my husband's got a work again. It’s a relief that my debt is gone and done. UDC is great and I had an excellent experience with them. I would also suggest to anybody who has a problem like that of mine to give them a call and give them a chance.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are thrilled you had such a great experience. If you ever need anything else do not hesitate to let us know!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I got a letter a mail and it made it sound like that I needed to do something. I reached out to United Debt Counselors and after I got into it, it was too late to get out of it but it was fine. It took two and a half years and they would call every month and check and see if I had any questions or anything like that. They were nice and friendly. One time, I had like an issue with the payment coming out. The person that I talked to said if I was not able to make the payment, it would go back and would have to start over. But it didn’t happen like that. I just called to let them know that the day that they were supposed to draft from my account and that the money would not be there because of other extenuating circumstances. They waited before they drafted it. United Debt is a good service to have for people that are struggling and maybe want to buy a house and stuff like that.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are very glad that you had a positive experience. If you need anything in the future let us know.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

My wife spent six months in the hospital and I got overrun on credit cards. I was sitting around one day, wondering and praying, then the next day, I got a thing in the mail from United Debt Counselors. United Debt Counselors combined all of my credit card bills and they worked out a plan to fit what I could afford. They gave me a monthly bill then I just sent the payments and they handled the rest. The program didn't help my credit rating, but over a period of time, I got all my credit cards paid off. United Debt's reps were very helpful and I felt comfortable working with them. They kept in touch with me and let me know what was going on. Whenever I had a question, all I had to do was pick up the phone and call them. They would give me an answer right then. Working with them was very good for me, and now, I'm not head over heels in credit card debt.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write us a review. We are thrilled that you had such a positive experience. If you ever need anything else just let us know!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

There was a letter in the mail and I called the number on it. I spoke with Debra from United Debt and said she was gonna send out somebody. I was off on the weekend that she was gonna send a person to the house so I told her yes. The person came out, talked with me and gave me the details. After she talked with me, I didn't like United Debt, but I just decided to work with them after all. They wanted me to put all my accounts in but I said "no" and just put in two.

When they first got it, I had to pay for six months before they went to the creditors. I realized they were taking the money and none was going towards the debt. The only difference I saw was that they were only saving me the interest per month. When I added their part and the part that they bargained for together, the money was the same. The bills also kept coming to me and the creditors kept calling me. United Debt should have called the people and talked to the people. The people shouldn't be calling me. It was a nuisance to me and United Debt was saying that all I had to do was ignore the calls, which was embarrassing.

At that time, I had to look for an apartment, but I could not because United Debt messed up my credit. Up until now my credit is not back up and I have to stick to where I am and paying this rent. And there was a cheaper place for me. They said that was how it works. They have settled one and I still have until next year to go. Sometimes, you can live in this country without credit too. You just have to learn to monitor yourself. Right now, I'm living without it and I'm trying to train myself so that I will never go back to the way it was before. I'm satisfied with United Debt but I'm not happy.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the program. Please feel free to contact us so we can further discuss and address any outstanding concerns you may have.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

My husband and I are getting older and we wanted to clear up all our credit cards. The credit cards were in my husband's name and he chose to go with United Debt. A lady from United Debt came to visit at the house and she explained everything. At first, I was doubtful, but I had to pinch myself to keep going. We have completed the program and have had a good experience with them. However, it was kinda disappointing because they originally said it would take three years, but it took four. After two years into the program, I was told that the three years was only an estimate. They also told me that they would offer the creditors 30% and then it went to 40% and then they were paying 50%. But everybody at United Debt was nice and friendly and they listened to me. I would recommend them to others.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our company. We are happy to know that overall your experience was positive. If you ever need anything else do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The people at United Debt Counselors were friendly and helpful. They were so convincing so I gave them a try and it worked. Whatever the told me they were going to do, they did it. They walked me through and when I had a question, they would answer it and tell me that everything is gonna work out. They kept their word and I've had a great experience with them thus far.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

A credit card concerns led me to seek services from United Debt Counselors. The enrollment went excellent and the very friendly people explained everything. They said it was gonna be three years, but it wound up being two years and eight months. The consultant was very helpful. In fact, I also got an overpayment check in the mail the day before yesterday, so I was very happy. I had them withdraw the monthly payment from my bank account. However, they withheld the money. I thought they paid as I paid, but they didn't. But, outside of that, everything was fine. The credit card people were very happy with it, too. Working with them has saved me a lot of money. That was the perfect little journey to change my life. I highly recommend it.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I was so overloaded with credit card debt. We had a lot of medical expense, some home expense, but mostly we had car repairs. I sought help from United Debt Counselors, which I saw was advertised on TV. When I talked to them at that time, the gentleman explained to me how it worked. Enrolling in the service was very easy. They took my case. Something was sent to the mail, I signed it and got it back to them. We took care of the administrative part.

United reduced my credit card debt from 31,000 down to considerably 15,000. There were three credit cards involved. One of them was combined with another credit card and those two balances together. Our United counselor Eric asked me the questions that he was seeking and the information that he needed. There were times I had a question that I would call. If Eric wasn’t in, the person who answered the phone always gave me the answer. One day, a lady called and said she had good news for me. She said that the Citibank debt was paid off.

We are now working on the Capital One and Discover cards, which were combined into one card. It worked out well just like they said we were supposed to get from United Debt Counselors on the TV ad. I’m very pleased. It was all done by phone and it has been very easy so far. The guys at United have knowledge and capability of helping. They supplied the answers to questions that I had.

They also set up the payment plan for the Citibank card and the other cards, and they told me exactly how much I had to pay in exactly how many months. I’m fulfilling those things now as these months pass by. The quality of help that I received has been excellent. The guys at United are very good at what they do. Working with them taught me to leave those darn credit cards alone as much as I can, except in an emergency. Sometimes, we just have to use them but only the very small amount. Hopefully, in approximately 20 months, I’ll have the debt paid for. Hopefully, too, I’d be able to buy my wife a new car in the later months. If you've stayed on credit card debt, seek help from United Debt Counselors. Watch out for the TV ads. United Debt Counselors helped me and they can help other people, too.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

The guy that I talked to at United Debt Counselors was pretty good at explaining everything and he set me up with their debt counseling service on the same day that I called. The enrollment process was very easy. They sent me a packet in the mail, then I filled it out and sent it back. I also sent them a copy of all my bills. All of the debt consultants that I worked with were pretty good. If I had a question, I called them and they asked me to email my complaints, then they handled it from there. I got ahold of someone every time I called and it wasn't difficult at all. The payment plan that they put me on was fine and they took into account my budget. The cost of the service was fine too. The program that they provided for me was a three to four-year plan. At this point, I'm through with the program and I paid for my debt less than what I owed.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for us. We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience in the program. If you need anything else in the future let us know.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I had some extraordinary bills and my job had cut me down to part-time, so I just couldn't pay them anymore. The information about United Debt Counselors came in the mail and I decided to call in and to find out. I didn't know much about these things at the time. When I spoke to the guy, he explained the things over the phone and that was when I decided to give them a try. After we spoke, he said to me that I would have been a good client to do the program and we took it from there. Someone came to the house and explained the payment and gave me a time that I wanted to put out. Also, he gave me a breakdown of the pricing that it was gonna cost. It was a lot of money for me to pay monthly, but I stuck with it.

However, I don't think they had given me the right information because along the way, there was some money refunded back to me. The money that they were charging was too high. So, there was a refund back from the payment. Still, I didn't have a problem with United. I felt what they did was the right thing and they also talked to me every so often to let me know if I have any questions of the process. It was comfortable speaking to them. I've completed the program.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

United Debt Counselors sent me something in the mail and when I got it, I just had my now three-year-old and I needed to get some debt off my back as a single mom of two now. The people I worked with were good and they walked me through everything. My debt was taken care of and I'd recommend them.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I went with United Debt Counselors to get back financially sound. I was provided with a debt consolidation deal. It was painless and it went well. I also did not get hassled by the credit companies. The reps call once a month, checking with everything. The monthly program payment was way less than what I had before, too. My experience with them went as I thought it would go, and working with them got me where I needed to be.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are very happy to hear that you had such a good experience. If you ever need anything else let us know.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

United Debt Counselors gave me a cheaper rate and they took in all the information during the enrollment process. I met with somebody and signed papers. The debt consultants were good. They never asked me any questions and they never bothered me. I just signed up and rolled the money out, and I didn't have to deal with them anymore. They called every once in a while and somebody would ask me how things were going.

After they told me it was paid off, the man I spoke to came back. One of the outfits I was with went higher and nobody told me that I would have to pay more money, so I ended up paying about $1,400 more than I thought I was gonna pay. The program ran longer and I ended up having to spend more than what they told me. The payment plan hurt me, but it was better than the one I had. I had a way to put the debts all on one spot and I wasn't paying five or six different places. The cost was better than what the debtors wanted. After I paid the extra $1,500, they still saved me about 3,000. I'm satisfied with United Debt.

United Debt Counselors expert review by Barbara Friedberg

United Debt Counselors (UDC) is a debt settlement firm that helps people who have high credit card balances with high interest rates. UDC helps you combine all your debt into one bill with a lower interest rate, so you can pay off your debt earlier than if you did nothing.

• Reduced debt: UDC can help reduce the principal amount you owe to as little as 30 percent of your original debt.

• Online quote: You can get a quote online to see how United Debt Counselors can help with your debt settlement. You only need to tell them your name, phone number, email address and state of residence.

• In-person meeting: When you sign up for debt settlement from UDC, you’ll meet with a company representative in person. This gives you the chance to get answers to any questions you have and shows the company’s dedication to personal service.

• Service areas: UDC can help customers in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Louisiana, and Washington DC.

• Best for: consumers with high balances on high-interest credit cards.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg