4.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

If you are overwhelmed by credit card debt or high-interest rates, United Debt Counselors (UDC) is here to provide customers with customized debt settlement services to get you out of debt and back to financial freedom. UDC is headquartered in Plano, Texas and has over 1,000 representatives in 18 states ready to provide the guidance you need to navigate your debt settlement program.

Our five-step approach includes:

1. We create a custom plan for your needs.

2. A field representative in one of 18 states meets with you face-to-face to review enrollment paperwork.

3. Once enrolled, you will have the option to create a special purpose savings account with a third-party financial institution in order to accrue funds for enrollment fees and settlement payments.

4. You and UDC agree on a monthly payment program.

5. Once you have accrued enough funds, we will approach the first creditor with a settlement offer - typically 30-40% of what is owed.

United Debt Counselors has representatives in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, DC, MA, MI, NC, NE, NM, NY, OK, VA, TX, ND, LA, and OH.

United Debt Counselors Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

United Debt Counselors is an online debt relief company that provides debt settlement services in 19 states. Find out if you're eligible for debt settlement services by visiting the company's website.

PROS

• Pay 30% to 40% of what you owe
  • Over 1,000 local representatives
  • Communicates with creditors

CONS

• Only available in 19 states

Top United Debt Counselors Reviews

I was broke and I was going deeper in debt. I had done some research and work, and United Debt Counselors has the best rating and program. It was pretty easy to get enrolled with them. I have completed the program which really worked. Overall, United Debt Counselors did a good job.

United Debt gave me a call and they explained to me what they do, how they could help. The consultant was very professional and she called me once a month to check up on me. I was able to set up a payment plan and pretty much take care of the debt. Also, they helped me raise my credit score.

What is United Debt Counselors?

United Debt Counselors, also called UDC America, provides consumers with a practical solution to debt by negotiating with their creditors to lower the amount they owe. To find out if you’re eligible for United Debt Counselors’ debt relief services, visit the company’s website and fill out the quick and easy Client Estimator Tool. You need the following information:

• Your name
  • Your total debt amount
  • Your state of residence
  • Your phone number
  • Your email

Once UDC America receives your information, a representative contacts you about your eligibility status. If you meet United Debt Counselors’ debt relief program requirements — including living in one of the 19 states in which it operates — one of its professional debt counselors works with you to create a debt program tailored to your situation. The company has more than 1,000 representatives in 19 states.

UDC debt settlement

United Debt Counselors specializes in debt settlement, which means its debt experts work as liaisons between you and your creditors to negotiate your debt down to a payable amount — often around 30% to 40% of what you owe. United Debt Counselors repeats this process with each of your creditors until the company settles all of your debts.

To have the necessary funds to pay this percentage of your debt while also paying for United Debt Counselors’ settlement services, the company recommends that all customers start a special-purpose savings account with a third-party financial institution. You use the funds in this account to pay for your enrollment fees and save enough money to pay back your creditors.

Get a debt relief quote on United Debt Counselors’ website to find out if you’re eligible for its debt relief services, which could allow you to:

• Combine your payments into one low monthly payment
  • Pay off credit card debt quicker
  • Pay a lower interest rate on your debts

Is UDC America legit?

UDC America offers debt settlement services to residents in 19 states. The company employs professional debt counselors and has an easy online estimator tool. If you need a reliable debt settlement company, United Debt Counselors could be the right choice for you.

United Debt Counselors Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I was sent a letter in the mail by United Debt Counselors and at that time, I was over my limit in bills. I decided to call the number and the lady talked to me. She explained to me the program and I agreed to what she was saying. I read the letter that others were sending me and they had a limit part so I didn’t like that. They were also charging me too much. I couldn’t afford it that was why I wanted to do the consolidation. United Debt Counselors came in at the right time because I had moved to Louisiana, and that was when they sent the letter.

United Debt Counselors took a lot of stress off me. They talked to the creditors and they negotiated with them. Everybody that was a part of that program working there was very kind and they wanted to make sure that they could meet my needs. They were wonderful. They answered my questions and they went beyond what I asked for.

The program was excellent because a couple of years later, I could not pay the amount that they had set me on, and they worked with me. I had paid enough into the program, and it paid off a lot of my credit cards. The program has worked for me to not get in debt anymore. I got the letter that I have graduated out of the program and my credit score has gone up. I'm thankful for that because I did apply for a major credit card as I needed one at least, and my credit score was 700. I have kept it and maintained at that place. I was very happy with United Debt Counselors and I still talk about it today. I referred it to a couple of people.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for taking the time to write our company a review. We are so glad to know we came into your life at the right time and were able to help you with your debt. We are here if you need anything else!

Get expert buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We had a total of three credit cards that we've been trying to get straightened out. I sought United Debt's services and the enrollment process was okay. We did all of the processes then they sent me out the package. I sent back things that they had to get and they were good about it. We started with the smaller ones first then went to the big one. With the first two cards, United Debt’s negotiator was able to get everything worked out with the people that we owed the money to. But the last one, which was not their fault, the negotiator kept trying to send the information to the bank who kept sending the paperwork back. So, I let it go for three months from the time she started on this.

I had a time also that I was calling the negotiator and she didn't get back to me. I kept getting upset. But when she finally did, she was right on it. Still, she couldn't get anything done because the bank was not cooperating. I told her that it did not seem like the bank was gonna cooperate so, we opted out of the program. United Debt returned the money that we paid. I had all the faith in United Debt and it was the bank that was being a pain. We were making the payments and building the money up but the bank did not want to negotiate with us and that they wanted more money. They did not even wanna talk to the negotiator about it. So now, the bank is not gonna get anything because we are gonna file for bankruptcy. United Debt did a great job and if anybody has to go through what we did, I would recommend them.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for writing us a review. We really appreciate it. We are glad to hear that the process went well overall! If you ever need our help again just reach out.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

As I was watching TV, United Debt Counselors was advertised and I loved it. At the same time, I was looking at all my credit card bills. I was doing monthly payments and the interest was killing me. I had gotten sick and I was on a short term disability, which didn’t even cover half of my check. No matter how much you make, New York State disability only allows you $170 a week. It was no way that my bills, my rent, life insurance and medical would have been covered. So, I decided to take all my credit cards and put them in a program. United Debt Counselors was the first one that popped up when I turned the TV on, so I went for it.

The enrollment was done within the same day. When I called, the first agent I spoke with was David. I told him my situation and credit card history. He asked me some questions and I gave him the answers in one day. He said that a young lady was gonna call me within 24 or 48 hours, business days, and that she was gonna come by my home to sit down and talk. She called me the next day and came to me. She told me the process, how long it would take and my responsibility.

The rep convinced me that I can trust the program with the identity theft and all the craziness that’s going on nowadays. She built up my confidence that I can trust giving her personal information - my personal security and my checking account number. I'm the type of person that’s very hard to get some information from, especially if I don’t feel comfortable, but she made me feel that I made the right decision in the program that I chose to help me with my credit card issue.

The rep asked me the best week of the month that I can have the payment taken out of my checking account that would not interfere with my other bills like medicine, cable, life insurance, laundry, food, and cleaning bills. She said, “Well, you pick the day of the month, and it will only be on that day we will take out the payment. We won't interfere with any of your lifestyle.” It was the 15th of every month, but my pay period was every Wednesday and the 15th did not fall on the Wednesday of each month on the same date, and it was clashing with the due dates of my other bills. I said, “No. I have to pick a week where I don’t have bills to pay except my credit card payments.” And they allowed me to change the dates where it was perfect.

However, I got laid off. I called the program and I explained my situation and I gave them any documents that they needed to check to verify my issue. They worked with me to cut my monthly payments by a few dollars. I was having them take out $331.98, so they cut it down to $302 when I was on unemployment, and it worked out perfectly. But they told me that I have to add an extra couple of months. I was originally supposed to be finished by July, but being that they had to cut my payments for a few dollars, I had to extend it to October, which I had no problems with.

I was so relieved that I could pay them in 24 months. All my questions were answered and they called occasionally to check on me to see if everything was okay or if I had any concerns. Working with United Debt Counselors taught me a lesson. Too much of anything is not good for you and you can get lost and get carried away that you will find yourself in hot water real fast. The program also taught me that I have to be aware of my spending, my decisions and how it would impact my lifestyle. I've learned to not live above the means.

And because of that experience, I recommended to some of my coworkers that they also put their credit cards in the United Debt solution, and they have. United Debt Counselors has some of my coworkers as clients now and some have the 18-month program, while one has the 24. And now, they are trying to convince their family members to also join the program. United Debt Counselors is doing excellent.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a detailed and thorough review. We can't tell you how much we appreciate that. We are so excited to know that you had such a wonderful experience from start to finish. Thank you for sharing our program with your co-workers and clients. If you ever need anything in the future please do not hesitate to let us know!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have been placed on unexpected disability. I have a condition of a bone deterioration and I had hip replacement. I worked through those times, and I had totally figured maybe I'll go through the whole 65, and it didn’t happen. I got a bad knee, and they told me I had to go on disability which I wasn’t prepared for financially because I needed those extra five years to clear out my credit card debt.

I happened to get the call from United Debt Counselors one day, and it sounded like a good idea for me. The bank told me I should have asked them. They could've done it, but I was very busy then. I have a lot of family problems. United Debt fell right into my lap. So, I decided to go for it. The enrollment was very easy. The person who came to my house did the notary. She told me the paperwork, but the girl on the phone was the one that told me everything, and why I wanted to join was because of that.

I have a little bit of a complain because I was told at the very beginning that one of the credit cards might be a problem due to the fact that the biggest one was from the bank that I did business with. It ended up a problem for real. I was supposed to be finished in October. We set it up to be 256 and when they told me that, I increased it to 300 a month only, but it didn’t make much of a difference because some of the other ones were asking for more money than they could talk them down to. So, now I'm still paying off two more bills. It didn’t stay the way it should have, but hopefully by April, I'll be finished with that.

Also, there were two bills that looked like they were gonna be left behind. And I didn’t want to go past the timing that they had given me because I was already anxious. It's been three years. Now, I want it finished. By the time we got to it, it was too late. They said I had to finish it off, so she set me up with what I have to do, and I followed through, and that was it. Working with United Debt allowed me to have a tight budget now, but because of other helping people, I'm all right. I'm not in the street and I'm not hungry. I would recommend United Debt to a friend.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write our company a review. We really appreciate it. We are so glad that we were able to provide you some relief during a difficult time. If you ever need anything else, please feel free to let us know.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We were over our heads in credit card debt and we attempted to short sell our home, which didn't work out very well, so we were deep under. There was an option of going bankrupt, but we thought we could handle the debt consolidation without going bankrupt. After doing a very short interview, we decided to look into a debt counseling service with United Debt Counselors. We made the appointment and we did the eye-to-eye type of meeting. We got the information that they said they would send and we got the packet within 24 hours. The information that was in there was self-explanatory. United Debt Counselors said they were gonna send somebody over and go over the paperwork with us. Then, they notarized it at the same time.

It worked out at that time for us because we were more looking at a bankruptcy thing, but I was afraid I made a little too much money to qualify and come to find out that was exactly what would have happened. I would have been denied the bankruptcy option and I still would have had to turn to something to assist our credit. Also, the bankruptcy would have affected us a lot longer.

We interacted with the debt consultants on each one of the different credit cards. A couple of the credit card companies didn't wanna work with the debt consolidation because although there is a federal debt act, they said they do not have to negotiate with any type of debt consolidation type of company. The first company took me to court and United Debt Counselors negotiated out of court settlement. We might have saved almost $4,000 from the total amount that was on the card. There were two other ones that we settled left that were settled between 40 and 45% of the debt, which was a lot, and it definitely helped us.

And with our Discovery, we offered to settle half a decent price, but once we said we would, they re-neg on us. They found out that my Discovery card was already assigned to a law firm and that particular law firm requested my wife's Discovery card. We went to the county attorney and he said it was illegal. When the law firm agreed to settle my account, they had a binding contract with us.

The particular credit card company used all my data and my information and they turned around and used it against my wife. They did insider trading against me. They knew what I made or how much it was that I was ready to settle. We settled the first card and not more than 30 days later, we were getting a letter, another lawsuit for my wife's Discovery credit card from the same law firm. It was illegal, however, we have too little for us to stand on at the time. The county attorney's office helped us out and they gave us a couple of options, but the options were a lot of money out of our pockets that we could not afford. I'd recommend United Debt Counselors and as a matter of fact, we have recommended them to a couple of other people.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We greatly appreciate it. We are so happy to hear that you had such a positive experience with us. If you need anything else in the future do not hesitate to let us know.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Debt Counselors?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I had credit card debts and I had United Debt Counselors help me get them debt-free two years ago. They took a certain amount out of my paycheck every month. They would also call back once a month to check on me. It’s all done now. They sent me a letter that said that everything was taken care of. I’m glad that they could help me out.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. We are so glad to hear that we were able to help you out! If you ever need anything else do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

United Debt gave me a call and they explained to me what they do, how they could help and the process. The consultant was very professional and she called me once a month to check up on me. She always kept me updated on the status of my application. She even told me that she was unable to reach them, so she told me to give them a call and try to settle the debt. She gave me a couple of options and I gave them a call. They told me that they needed a certain amount depending upon the balance.

I was able to set up a payment plan and pretty much take care of the debt. Once they told me that was enough for what they needed, they stopped the payment and then it went from there. They started initiating the pay off with the actual companies. It was better for me because I was paying a low amount while I was paying the whole amount with the other company. Also, they helped me raise my credit score. Now, I’m clear and I am done with the process, so everything is good.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write us a review. We are happy to hear that you felt we were professional and that we kept you in the loop during the process! If you need anything else please reach out.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I was working with United Debt from 2016 and they were very helpful. They really worked for me. The lady that I dealt with gave good suggestions all the time. All four credit card debt cases were solved, but I only received one report out of four. Two were settled and for the other two, they said they were not charging me so they were resolved. But they're not going to give me any report. I need those reports which are settled because I want to apply for a house loan, and in the credit report, it is showing the full amount. The creditor said that if I settled that issue, I was supposed to show them a report that it was settled, and then they can issue a home loan or issue a primary approval.

United Debt Counselors response

Thanks so much for taking the time to write our company a review. We are happy to hear that we were very helpful during the program. If you need anything else in the future do not hesitate to let us know!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

United Debt Counselors happened to be around at the right time, so I signed up with them. The enrollment process was a little bit complicated, but nothing out of the ordinary type of thing. And the service I got from them was great. The lady I was in touch with all the time, Nikita, kept me informed and when I had a question, I called her. If she didn’t have an answer right then, she got back to me within the same day. So far, I completed the program and paid off my debt. I sold my vehicle and I paid it off. The service was a little bit expensive, but everything was done on time and I could count on it. And it’s one thing more off my mind.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad to know that we kept you informed and that you have graduated from the program debt free! If you ever need anything else, we are here.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I wanted my credit cards to be all under one payment but it didn’t go down and United Debt Counselors advised me on what to do. They talked to me good so I joined them and they were very good. I was with them for three years and I’m done with the program.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for writing us a review and for the feedback. We appreciate it. We are happy the process was good overall. If you ever need anything else do not hesitate to let us know.

United Debt Counselors Company Information