It's that easy Request Information
3.98/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

If you are overwhelmed by credit card debt or high-interest rates, United Debt Counselors (UDC) is here to provide customers with customized debt settlement services to get you out of debt and back to financial freedom. UDC is headquartered in Plano, Texas and has over 1,000 representatives in 18 states ready to provide the guidance you need to navigate your debt settlement program.

Our five-step approach includes:

1. We create a custom plan for your needs.

2. A field representative in one of 18 states meets with you face-to-face to review enrollment paperwork.

3. Once enrolled, you will have the option to create a special purpose savings account with a third-party financial institution in order to accrue funds for enrollment fees and settlement payments.

4. You and UDC agree on a monthly payment program.

5. Once you have accrued enough funds, we will approach the first creditor with a settlement offer - typically 30-40% of what is owed.

United Debt Counselors has representatives in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, DC, MA, MI, NC, NE, NM, NY, OK, VA, TX, ND, LA, and OH.

United Debt Counselors Video
View More View More

50 United Debt Counselors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: July 17, 2018

My daughter's been getting this debt collector looking letter from this company (already twice in the recent weeks) that is nothing more than basically offering credit settlement service. The problem is that the letter drafted on a pink paper (like the one that the debt collectors use to threaten you) along with all kinds of threatening wording such as "contact our office immediately", "** failure to call **", "will likely result in", "second attempt", "within 10 days", "to avoid unnecessary delays", "entitled to settlements", and so on.

They even have a reference number on the letter as though there is some sort of case going on. The letter also claims my daughter is in debt for over $37,000 (which she is not at all). NO one is making demand for any immediate payment to my daughter because she doesn't owe anyone anything she can't pay. Therefore, the claim this company is making to my daughter is bogus. To make matters worse, the letter has the wording "RE: Credit settlement" in the area where everyone can see it (including the mailman) to make people think my daughter has a serious credit problem. It is abhorrent where they get this kind of idea that can somehow threaten people to calling them for a credit settlement service using this kind of methods. Isn't this illegal?? If this company doesn't stop sending this kind of ridiculous letter, I am going to turn this into a litigation matter.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2018

My ex-wife asked me for a divorce. We got eight cards that were run out and I didn't know who was gonna handle all of the debt. She said we’ll see in court, so I had to get somebody to start working on it. I’ve seen the advertisement on TV for United Debt Counselors and I decided to go with them. Their reps didn’t talk to me too much and I didn't hear from them often. I had to ask them how many of our eight cards did they got paid and they told me they got them all taken care of except for Discover because they’re being a hardball player.

All in all, that means that United Debt settled with the other companies, so I was happy about that. Then, I agreed to a settlement with Discover because the debt consolidators couldn’t and I told them I’d pay them this month per month. I haven’t heard back from them so they must be getting paid and their happy and hopefully, my credit rating starts going back up there pretty shortly. United Debt's service was good and they asked if I had questions. Their program worked for me but they need to get a hold of their customers more often because I didn’t hear from them but every six months and I didn’t know what was going on.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I got overwhelmed with my bills and I used United Debt for debts and it offered a relief out in everything. They happened to be close by while others were so far away so I went with them. Initially, we didn’t have to pay the bill. And then, when the creditor was calling about my debt, they were nice about it. They could understand the problem. But when they were trying to get in touch with United Debt, they would not comment on anything or tell them what was going on. so the creditors had to call me to find out, “You’ve been paying all this time and all of sudden, no nothing. We just want to know what’s going on because we can offer some help too.” United Debt's program really has not worked for me.

United Debt didn’t finish up their program. A year later, they called me and asked me if I had any question. I thought that was so very kind of them. I said, “Why are you calling me, asking me that when you told me I have been discontinued from the program.” And that’s when they told me that I still had money there in the account, about $500, and that’s when they told me to close it out and they’d refund my money, and they did. Overall, I would not recommend United Debt Counselors. We got into a hardship and couldn’t get out of it.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for your feedback however we do wish that it was under different circumstances. We would like the opportunity to review your concerns on a more personal level. Please reach out to our Support Department at customercare@udcamerica.com and include in the subject review so that we can further assist you. We pride ourselves on delivering A-1 customer care and want each and every one of our clients to have a pleasant experience with our company. Thanks and I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had a bunch of credit cards that United Debt Counselors helped me with. While the people there seem to change every once in a while, every one I dealt with knew what they were doing. They also kept the price really low and I got everything paid off now. Working with United Debt Counselors got me to where I'm paying my bills now.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for your feedback! We are pleased to know that we have had such a positive impact on your financial situation. If you need anything now or in the future please reach out to our Support Dept at customercare@udcamerica.com. Please reference review in the subject line so we get you to the appropriate party. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I needed to get rid of my credit card debt and found United Debt Counselors online. Enrolling with them was mostly on the phone, then somebody, who was polite and professional, came to my home to do the affidavit so that was convenient. We came up with how much money they were taking out on a monthly basis that I could work with, then that price was in the paperwork. I had to do a few calls to see if I had any issues and switched debt consultants at least four times. I didn't deal with them until I had enough money to settle. But they were helpful. Angie, the last debt consultant, got the ball rolling to finish the process. She was fantastic and I loved her. She gave me the lowdown and she was upfront and very timed. She tried her best to get the best deal that she could for me, which she did.

I got refunded about $4,000 because they took out extra payments for almost 10 months but it was a settlement, so I got pinched. I didn't realize that I hadn't finished my payment plan yet as it was not easy to access my account to check my balances. But it's nice to know that it's real and that they actually provide the service because there are a lot out there that are not and it's hard to know who to go with. It was my fault getting into as much trouble as I did but I am now done with everything and it's such a huge relief. United Debt Counselors is reputable, reliable and trustworthy.

United Debt Counselors response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Debt Counselors?

Original review: June 24, 2018

I was overloaded with credit card bills. People talked about United Debt Counselors on Facebook so I went with them. Their reps talked to my credit card people and told them that they would give them a certain amount and they cleared up all my credit card bills. Their rep would call me and check and see if I had any problems. They would make sure they would call me and let me know how much they offered to pay the credit card company off. They kept me informed. Overall, the cost was good and they did what they said they were gonna do. They got rid of my debt. I would recommend them.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 23, 2018

I was in credit card debt and United Debt Counselors was the first program that I really sat to. I had a fine interaction with their people and I was able to pay off my debt. It feels good that they helped but they could have paid it off sooner.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 22, 2018

I had too many credit card debts and United Debt Counselors provided me with a debt settlement program. The enrollment process was scary. And I wasn't positive of doing it, but I didn't have any other choice. The process was hard to do and it took a long time but United Debt's reps were great and were always there ready to answer any question I had. And I have no credit cards and I'm out of debt now. United Debt helped.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 21, 2018

I was being sued then for a debt and I needed counseling. I called one other company and when they answered the phone, the first thing they did was give me an advertisement for something, and I thought, "Nope. Not interested in that company." And when I called United Debt Counselors, they seemed very professional. I had a monthly payment program with them. They said, "This is the amount that we need every month." And they just took it directly from my bank account and we got rid of the debt. For the first six months, I only had a certain person calling to ask if I had any questions or anything. And I had different people after.

I finished my last payment in January and they have not closed the case. I still get monthly statements from them that says "00" and they call me once a month. I have told them, "There's no money involved anymore. Please close the case." They said okay but nothing happens. Overall, it was an okay experience, nothing overwhelming or underwhelming. I would recommend them.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 19, 2018

I’m good at paying my bills and when I couldn’t get rid of my debt, I reached out to United Debt and I used them. They followed through but I would not do that again or suggest them to others. I felt there was too much out-of-pocket money that I paid but there are so many other things they can do now that I didn’t have to come out with as much. And if I could not afford United Debt’s cost, I could've worked out a deal with the people I owed instead of using the third party which was the whole purpose. It didn’t make any sense to me and United Debt has defeated its purpose in a way. If I was gonna give them the money, I could have been the one who was gonna pay the bill with that.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 18, 2018

I had a little problem with debts so I tried to get my account set up with United Debt Counselors. I did the program, finished with it already, and so I paid off everything except for 2 accounts they didn’t get settled for me. They had to send it to another place and they gave me a settlement and I had to come up with some money to pay them off.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 17, 2018

I've been with United Debt Counselors for about six years now and it's been a very pleasant experience with them. I had more money going out than I had coming in and this company was recommended to me. The enrollment process for debt consolidation didn't take very long. I called them and they set me up an appointment. I then talked to someone over the phone and all I had to do was supply the company that I owed money to, what the balance was, how much my payments were every month, and how much my income was. And I had just lost my husband, so my income had shrunk more than half.

The debt counselors handled everything professionally and quickly, which was what I was mainly interested in. They also told me how much the monthly payment was going to be and it was under the amount that I could handle. Then, they set everything up on their own. It was such an easy process and everything was handled to my satisfaction. So far, everything has all been paid for, except for one which I was told that it was taken care of but I found out that it wasn't and that the company doesn't deal with a third party. So, I would have to set up something on my own and pay it off. Other than that, I was happy with the service.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 16, 2018

United Debt Counselors was on TV, I called them and the young lady came. I like the way she spoke and she was very nice. She explained everything about how it worked and what it would do for me if I give it a try. She broke it down and there was nothing to question about it. She told me that if I was not happy about it, I can get off with it. There was nothing out of the ordinary to make me think of it so I tried it and I have no regrets. I stayed all the way with them because they were true to their words. There was nothing phony about them so I was very happy.

I had a lot of debts and they did one debt at a time. They took a few weeks for it and when they’re finished with that, we started on the next one. Every month they took out and then they start with the next one until everything was finished. They told me if I had any problems or if anybody would call me about my debts, I should let them know and let them handle it. If I receive any letters, I would mail it to them because they told me not to answer any questions and that they would take care of everything.

United Debt helped me a lot and my counselors kept their words. They did not hide anything and they did everything that they said. They told the truth about everything and if I wasn’t happy, they told me to call them and tell them what my problem is. If they could fix it, they would. It saved me from my debts and they finished everything on time. I was satisfied with them, I had a good experience and I would refer them to anybody because they were very good.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 15, 2018

We had another company that was helping us pay off in full a lot of loans that we had overextended. And then our luck changed and we had absorbed four grandkids into our home. That put us in a bind where we didn't have any money, and so somebody put us in touch with United Debt Counselors. United Debt let us know that we didn't have to pay off all of our delinquent loans in full and that they would work with the creditors to try to bargain with them to pay a part of it. There was a lady who met us at the local library to talk to us about it and the enrollment process was easy. Our account went to a man, then it ended up with another lady.

We gave United Debt all of the debt concerns that we had on our fingertips and they let us know how much minimum we had to pay each month. We rode that over into an automatic payroll and it went really smooth after that. It was decent of them to have stayed in touch with us. They checked in to see if there was anything they could do to help catch us up or clue us in on what was going on and if we had any concern. Every once in a while, we want an update about where we were at, and they had sent us a spreadsheet of what was paid off and what was coming, and they really kept us up-to-date. My wife is an accountant and she was able to share those with me.

United Debt made it very comfortable for us that we were able to move on with all of our debt and were still able to take care of our grandkids and help them through a lot of development that they needed. We would've been way overextended if we hadn't worked with them. Their service was well worth the time and effort. It saved us probably two-thirds of what we were paying out each month and eventually, we got all the credit paid off. There was one account that they could not find to finish paying off, and we went about six months or so waiting to hear what was the outcome. They never could get the company to finish paying it off so they sent us the money back. Overall, United Debt took care of business for us and it worked out wonderful. Also, I've had people concerned about being overextended and I let them know that United Debt would be the way to go.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 14, 2018

United Debt Counselors was calling me all the time for a long time. They were persistent and they finally got into convincing me. I appreciate their persistence because if they wouldn't have done it, I would still be in the same boat. I am getting too old and I couldn't handle any more debts. I have an illness so I'm forgetting things, and I'm getting too tired going on social security. United Debt is really helpful and they made everything in the enrolment process so easy. They sent somebody home so they could do the paperwork and walked me through everything. It's like my account with them was so personal and so close that they understood my situation.

I like working with United Debt because I couldn't afford my bills and I would forget a bill was charged on my account because I didn't have enough. I told them my situation and they helped me out how to schedule it. The quality of their service is good because they attended to me. They always call back in case I have a question. If I didn't talk to them, they'd call me right back and they keep in touch with everything. They also call me on a monthly basis to see how I'm doing. They took the monthly payment out of my checking and they adjusted it to something that I can afford. So, I'm happy with them. Now, I'm debt-free and I'm better even with my health being so bad and forgetting things. United Debt is good and they're efficient with a person. They help every step of the way and they still help you even if you're bilingual. I recommend them to people who are close to me and who have the same situation.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 13, 2018

I got overloaded credit cards, and my experience with United Debt Counselors was not good. I was told one thing by one person and then told another thing, something totally different, by another person. They did not communicate. They sometimes would contact me every month, and then sometimes, it'd be two or three months. And each time would be a different person. They supposedly talked to my creditors and got them to lower what I owed. They took the payment out of my checking account, but they kept months and months and months before they even started even paying off the credit cards. Eventually, it got the credit cards paid off and I don't owe as many creditors now. But, the way they did it totally ruined my credit in a way that it will never come back. I would never recommend it to anyone else.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 12, 2018

I got a credit card debt that I couldn't pay down. United Debt Counselors had been calling me, and I never answered them back. But one day, it sounded like a good idea. I got into their debt settlement program and my representative met me at a restaurant, and we went over all the paperwork and I signed the papers there. During the enrollment, I had to write a hardship letter and they told me to quit paying my credit cards and they would tell the credit card people that I'm not paying them anymore. And with money I was paying them, they paid off my credit card with the lowest balance first, and then the next one and the next one, until I got sued by the last one. And then we made an agreement with them, and I actually paid off more than I was planning on paying off out of pocket. But they got rid of all of them. United Debt would call every month to let me know what was going on. I'm done with the process and it worked for me.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 11, 2018

I needed to consolidate a lot of debt that I have and I went with United Debt Counselors. We had used a different company years before and they did not want to consolidate our bills because we would have had to consolidate mine and my husband's. However, I'm just doing my bills 'cause we pay them separately. On the other hand, United Debt Counselors would do that and so I chose to go with them. But the enrollment process was terrible. On the phone part, it was okay. But there were so many pages to go through. To read all that information took forever. And then, I had to meet somebody and sign it in person with that person and go over even more papers and make sure that I knew all the ins and outs about it. That was just annoying.

When I did a consolidation through the other company, it was very cut and dry and very specific. It was a lot simpler process and very user-friendly. But with United Debt Counselors, it was difficult trying to get in contact with people. I sometimes got a runaround, sometimes they weren't there, and then I get switched to a different person because the other person wasn't there anymore or got transferred to another thing or is not on my account anymore.

If somebody's working on someone's account, the consultant is supposed to be with that person the whole time. It's good to have that one person to talk to. But that's not how it was with United Debt Counselors. I can't remember how many people I ended up having to work on my accounts. Nevertheless, having a direct communication with them is good. But the online was difficult to maneuver and it wasn't user-friendly either. Also, all the paperwork was terrible. Those are the things I would like them to improve on.

And the biggest thing about the process was that when I signed the contract, I'm paying my money in, and they're taking that every month and they're gonna pay this much every month and it's gonna go towards these bills. To me, they did not uphold their part of the contract. Whenever United Debt Counselors approaches the creditor that they're paying off, they're supposed to pay a certain amount each month or whatever the stipulations are. Let's say, $1,000 one time, and then $200 a month for the next six months. But they didn't pay anything for four months, which that went against the contract with that company. And that company sent it to a lawyer who took it to court. And I have to go to court over this if United Debt Counselors didn't pay. This happened with one creditor four times, to the point to where their lawyer didn't even wanna talk to me or take my calls.

Also, this situation messed up my credit even more. My credit went down so low. Every time I go and try to do something, I get the highest percentage now since my credit is so bad. When I consolidated before, I never had my credit rating get down really low. It was ridiculous and stressful. My blood pressure has been bad over this, which affects my relationship with my husband 'cause my credit rating is bad and it affects his credit rating. It was horrible. So, I would never recommend them to anybody. I would tell others to search around for a better company and that I would not deal with them.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 10, 2018

All I did was pay United debt consolidation on top of all the bills they were supposed to help me save money on. I was supposed to be out of debt In 3 years. What a joke! For the first year all my money goes to pay the debt consolidation. After about a year I find myself being sued by my creditors. The only way my bills got settled was me paying them. You guys are a joke.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I got hit with a large tax bill for 2016 because I did not receive all my 1099s from UDC. Very concerning. It put me in a financial bind. One of the credit cards I had under control is now a major bill and I have retired and I am on a fixed income.

Original review: June 7, 2018

United Debt Counselors helped us out of $20,000 of debt in 3 years. They were always there for us, called frequently, explained situations thoroughly. We would recommend them. Thank you UDC. WE HAVE ANOTHER CARD THAT HAS A HIGH INTEREST RATE. WISH WE COULD GET THEM TO HELP PAY IT OFF. Balance is $1600.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I had major debt and was in a serious financial situation. United Debt Service resolved my debts in 30 months. I could have never gotten out of debt without them. If you have serious debt problems, give them a call. They can help you sleep at night again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

They did a great job for me. I was able to pay off my credit card debt sooner than expected because of the sale of my farm. UDC did negotiate my indebtedness down from about $20,000 down to about %10,000. I shall always be grateful to them for their action on my behalf.

Original review: June 6, 2018

There were some things that were not explained to me in the beginning. Customer Service was helpful in answering my questions. My account Reps were always helpful especially helping me out with a creditor before I lost everything to them.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: June 1, 2018

They did wonderful for us, they called us, keep us updated on everything. I recommend this program to people if they needed it but it was longer than what we expected. The people you talk to if don’t understand them they get people for you to understand.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I wanted to consolidate some bills, so I could get them paid off. I contacted United Debt Counselors and the lady who signed me up was very informative, which was the reason I agreed to go along with it, and that was a quick way for me to get out of debt from all of my creditors. I was impressed. Signing up was a good and very easy transaction. The lady came to my house and assisted me in filling out the forms, so the transaction went smoothly. Things have been better since I've been with United Debt because they’ve helped me pay off the creditors. So, that’s a load off of me.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I was trying to pay off my credit card and then I got a letter in the mail from United Debt Counselors. I went through their program and there was about $3,200 that they took in the first six months that didn’t go to any of my payments, which was weird. Other than that,they were really good and contacted me to see how I was doing. The whole program took about two years and the cost in relation to the quality of the service was good overall. I am happy that I'm done with the program now.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: May 30, 2018

I was overwhelmed in debt and I needed help fast so I contacted United Debt Counselors. When I first heard about them, I contacted them and at first, I was a little bit skeptical about getting into the program. We have a lot of scam going on right now. But they were talking good. One thing that really got me concerned about the way that they came to my house and we talked. I went ahead and gave it a try. I had a blast joining the company and letting them walk me through every detail. They offered me different things that I can do it and end the debt.

They called me and asked me if I had any concerns. They were very helpful and kept me informed with all the transaction. A lady counselor made sure she’d call me and kept me on track what was being paid. She kept me on top of everything and what the debt counselors were doing. United Debt has given me less stress and less worry. I’m back to where I started from with zero, owing nobody. They took care of all the bills that I had enrolled into the company. They took care of everything. And then the bill collectors stopped calling and that was one good plus. I would invite anybody to get in contact with United because they did me good. I wasn’t worried about anything.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: May 29, 2018

I saw United Debt Counselors advertised and it seemed legit so I tried it. The enrollment went good. The rep and I spoke for a while and she seemed genuine so I tried it. In areas that I had questions, I would call them on that and they did good. Working with United Debt Counselors showed me to think before I use their service.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: May 28, 2018

My bills were getting higher than what I could pay and I was trying to get them down. I got into debt consolidation with United Debt Counselors and the enrollment process went okay. I didn't ask questions 'cause I didn't fully understand everything. I was trying to get my payments down so I could pay them and try to have a little relief. Their representative was really informative and she was with me all the time. But she would turn me over to some others and it was a while before they got in touch with me.

At first the payment plan was reasonable, but then I was paying almost as much as I was paying out to start with. But I kept on doing it because I was interested in trying to get it stopped. United Debt Counselors wound up not negotiating with SEARS enough and I had to go to court for that. After I got in with the lawyers, I had to get back with UDC two or three times, but I had so many days to get that into the court and they were supposed to be representing me, and I wasn’t getting any result. Some way or another it didn’t get in there, so I wound up paying SEARS a lot more than I owed them.

United Debt Counselors expert review by Barbara Friedberg

United Debt Counselors (UDC) is a debt settlement firm that helps people who have high credit card balances with high interest rates. UDC helps you combine all your debt into one bill with a lower interest rate, so you can pay off your debt earlier than if you did nothing.

• Reduced debt: UDC can help reduce the principal amount you owe to as little as 30 percent of your original debt.

• Online quote: You can get a quote online to see how United Debt Counselors can help with your debt settlement. You only need to tell them your name, phone number, email address and state of residence.

• In-person meeting: When you sign up for debt settlement from UDC, you’ll meet with a company representative in person. This gives you the chance to get answers to any questions you have and shows the company’s dedication to personal service.

• Service areas: UDC can help customers in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Louisiana, and Washington DC.

• Best for: consumers with high balances on high-interest credit cards.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

TX
877-390-9998
www.udcamerica.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business