It's that easy Request Information
4.21/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

If you are overwhelmed by credit card debt or high-interest rates, United Debt Counselors (UDC) is here to provide customers with customized debt settlement services to get you out of debt and back to financial freedom. UDC is headquartered in Plano, Texas and has over 1,000 representatives in 18 states ready to provide the guidance you need to navigate your debt settlement program.

Our five-step approach includes:

1. We create a custom plan for your needs.

2. A field representative in one of 18 states meets with you face-to-face to review enrollment paperwork.

3. Once enrolled, you will have the option to create a special purpose savings account with a third-party financial institution in order to accrue funds for enrollment fees and settlement payments.

4. You and UDC agree on a monthly payment program.

5. Once you have accrued enough funds, we will approach the first creditor with a settlement offer - typically 30-40% of what is owed.

United Debt Counselors has representatives in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, DC, MA, MI, NC, NE, NM, NY, OK, VA, TX, ND, LA, and OH.

United Debt Counselors Video
View More View More

39 United Debt Counselors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 23, 2018

I was in credit card debt and United Debt Counselors was the first program that I really sat to. I had a fine interaction with their people and I was able to pay off my debt. It feels good that they helped but they could have paid it off sooner.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I had too many credit card debts and United Debt Counselors provided me with a debt settlement program. The enrollment process was scary. And I wasn't positive of doing it, but I didn't have any other choice. The process was hard to do and it took a long time but United Debt's reps were great and were always there ready to answer any question I had. And I have no credit cards and I'm out of debt now. United Debt helped.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I was being sued then for a debt and I needed counseling. I called one other company and when they answered the phone, the first thing they did was give me an advertisement for something, and I thought, "Nope. Not interested in that company." And when I called United Debt Counselors, they seemed very professional. I had a monthly payment program with them. They said, "This is the amount that we need every month." And they just took it directly from my bank account and we got rid of the debt. For the first six months, I only had a certain person calling to ask if I had any questions or anything. And I had different people after.

I finished my last payment in January and they have not closed the case. I still get monthly statements from them that says "00" and they call me once a month. I have told them, "There's no money involved anymore. Please close the case." They said okay but nothing happens. Overall, it was an okay experience, nothing overwhelming or underwhelming. I would recommend them.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I've been with United Debt Counselors for about six years now and it's been a very pleasant experience with them. I had more money going out than I had coming in and this company was recommended to me. The enrollment process for debt consolidation didn't take very long. I called them and they set me up an appointment. I then talked to someone over the phone and all I had to do was supply the company that I owed money to, what the balance was, how much my payments were every month, and how much my income was. And I had just lost my husband, so my income had shrunk more than half.

The debt counselors handled everything professionally and quickly, which was what I was mainly interested in. They also told me how much the monthly payment was going to be and it was under the amount that I could handle. Then, they set everything up on their own. It was such an easy process and everything was handled to my satisfaction. So far, everything has all been paid for, except for one which I was told that it was taken care of but I found out that it wasn't and that the company doesn't deal with a third party. So, I would have to set up something on my own and pay it off. Other than that, I was happy with the service.

Original review: June 16, 2018

United Debt Counselors was on TV, I called them and the young lady came. I like the way she spoke and she was very nice. She explained everything about how it worked and what it would do for me if I give it a try. She broke it down and there was nothing to question about it. She told me that if I was not happy about it, I can get off with it. There was nothing out of the ordinary to make me think of it so I tried it and I have no regrets. I stayed all the way with them because they were true to their words. There was nothing phony about them so I was very happy.

I had a lot of debts and they did one debt at a time. They took a few weeks for it and when they’re finished with that, we started on the next one. Every month they took out and then they start with the next one until everything was finished. They told me if I had any problems or if anybody would call me about my debts, I should let them know and let them handle it. If I receive any letters, I would mail it to them because they told me not to answer any questions and that they would take care of everything.

United Debt helped me a lot and my counselors kept their words. They did not hide anything and they did everything that they said. They told the truth about everything and if I wasn’t happy, they told me to call them and tell them what my problem is. If they could fix it, they would. It saved me from my debts and they finished everything on time. I was satisfied with them, I had a good experience and I would refer them to anybody because they were very good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Debt Counselors?

Original review: June 15, 2018

We had another company that was helping us pay off in full a lot of loans that we had overextended. And then our luck changed and we had absorbed four grandkids into our home. That put us in a bind where we didn't have any money, and so somebody put us in touch with United Debt Counselors. United Debt let us know that we didn't have to pay off all of our delinquent loans in full and that they would work with the creditors to try to bargain with them to pay a part of it. There was a lady who met us at the local library to talk to us about it and the enrollment process was easy. Our account went to a man, then it ended up with another lady.

We gave United Debt all of the debt concerns that we had on our fingertips and they let us know how much minimum we had to pay each month. We rode that over into an automatic payroll and it went really smooth after that. It was decent of them to have stayed in touch with us. They checked in to see if there was anything they could do to help catch us up or clue us in on what was going on and if we had any concern. Every once in a while, we want an update about where we were at, and they had sent us a spreadsheet of what was paid off and what was coming, and they really kept us up-to-date. My wife is an accountant and she was able to share those with me.

United Debt made it very comfortable for us that we were able to move on with all of our debt and were still able to take care of our grandkids and help them through a lot of development that they needed. We would've been way overextended if we hadn't worked with them. Their service was well worth the time and effort. It saved us probably two-thirds of what we were paying out each month and eventually, we got all the credit paid off. There was one account that they could not find to finish paying off, and we went about six months or so waiting to hear what was the outcome. They never could get the company to finish paying it off so they sent us the money back. Overall, United Debt took care of business for us and it worked out wonderful. Also, I've had people concerned about being overextended and I let them know that United Debt would be the way to go.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I got a credit card debt that I couldn't pay down. United Debt Counselors had been calling me, and I never answered them back. But one day, it sounded like a good idea. I got into their debt settlement program and my representative met me at a restaurant, and we went over all the paperwork and I signed the papers there. During the enrollment, I had to write a hardship letter and they told me to quit paying my credit cards and they would tell the credit card people that I'm not paying them anymore. And with money I was paying them, they paid off my credit card with the lowest balance first, and then the next one and the next one, until I got sued by the last one. And then we made an agreement with them, and I actually paid off more than I was planning on paying off out of pocket. But they got rid of all of them. United Debt would call every month to let me know what was going on. I'm done with the process and it worked for me.

Original review: June 10, 2018

All I did was pay United debt consolidation on top of all the bills they were supposed to help me save money on. I was supposed to be out of debt In 3 years. What a joke! For the first year all my money goes to pay the debt consolidation. After about a year I find myself being sued by my creditors. The only way my bills got settled was me paying them. You guys are a joke.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I got hit with a large tax bill for 2016 because I did not receive all my 1099s from UDC. Very concerning. It put me in a financial bind. One of the credit cards I had under control is now a major bill and I have retired and I am on a fixed income.

Original review: June 7, 2018

United Debt Counselors helped us out of $20,000 of debt in 3 years. They were always there for us, called frequently, explained situations thoroughly. We would recommend them. Thank you UDC. WE HAVE ANOTHER CARD THAT HAS A HIGH INTEREST RATE. WISH WE COULD GET THEM TO HELP PAY IT OFF. Balance is $1600.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I had major debt and was in a serious financial situation. United Debt Service resolved my debts in 30 months. I could have never gotten out of debt without them. If you have serious debt problems, give them a call. They can help you sleep at night again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

They did a great job for me. I was able to pay off my credit card debt sooner than expected because of the sale of my farm. UDC did negotiate my indebtedness down from about $20,000 down to about %10,000. I shall always be grateful to them for their action on my behalf.

Original review: June 6, 2018

There were some things that were not explained to me in the beginning. Customer Service was helpful in answering my questions. My account Reps were always helpful especially helping me out with a creditor before I lost everything to them.

Original review: June 1, 2018

They did wonderful for us, they called us, keep us updated on everything. I recommend this program to people if they needed it but it was longer than what we expected. The people you talk to if don’t understand them they get people for you to understand.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for your feedback! We are pleased to know that we have had such a positive impact on your financial situation. If you need anything now or in the future please reach out to our Support Dept at customercare@udcamerica.com. Please reference review in the subject line so we get you to the appropriate party. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I wanted to consolidate some bills, so I could get them paid off. I contacted United Debt Counselors and the lady who signed me up was very informative, which was the reason I agreed to go along with it, and that was a quick way for me to get out of debt from all of my creditors. I was impressed. Signing up was a good and very easy transaction. The lady came to my house and assisted me in filling out the forms, so the transaction went smoothly. Things have been better since I've been with United Debt because they’ve helped me pay off the creditors. So, that’s a load off of me.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I was trying to pay off my credit card and then I got a letter in the mail from United Debt Counselors. I went through their program and there was about $3,200 that they took in the first six months that didn’t go to any of my payments, which was weird. Other than that,they were really good and contacted me to see how I was doing. The whole program took about two years and the cost in relation to the quality of the service was good overall. I am happy that I'm done with the program now.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for your feedback however we do wish that it was under different circumstances. We would like the opportunity to review your concerns on a more personal level. Please reach out to our Support Department at customercare@udcamerica.com and include in the subject review so that we can further assist you. We pride ourselves on delivering A-1 customer care and want each and every one of our clients to have a pleasant experience with our company. Thanks and I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I was overwhelmed in debt and I needed help fast so I contacted United Debt Counselors. When I first heard about them, I contacted them and at first, I was a little bit skeptical about getting into the program. We have a lot of scam going on right now. But they were talking good. One thing that really got me concerned about the way that they came to my house and we talked. I went ahead and gave it a try. I had a blast joining the company and letting them walk me through every detail. They offered me different things that I can do it and end the debt.

They called me and asked me if I had any concerns. They were very helpful and kept me informed with all the transaction. A lady counselor made sure she’d call me and kept me on track what was being paid. She kept me on top of everything and what the debt counselors were doing. United Debt has given me less stress and less worry. I’m back to where I started from with zero, owing nobody. They took care of all the bills that I had enrolled into the company. They took care of everything. And then the bill collectors stopped calling and that was one good plus. I would invite anybody to get in contact with United because they did me good. I wasn’t worried about anything.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: May 29, 2018

I saw United Debt Counselors advertised and it seemed legit so I tried it. The enrollment went good. The rep and I spoke for a while and she seemed genuine so I tried it. In areas that I had questions, I would call them on that and they did good. Working with United Debt Counselors showed me to think before I use their service.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 28, 2018

My bills were getting higher than what I could pay and I was trying to get them down. I got into debt consolidation with United Debt Counselors and the enrollment process went okay. I didn't ask questions 'cause I didn't fully understand everything. I was trying to get my payments down so I could pay them and try to have a little relief. Their representative was really informative and she was with me all the time. But she would turn me over to some others and it was a while before they got in touch with me.

At first the payment plan was reasonable, but then I was paying almost as much as I was paying out to start with. But I kept on doing it because I was interested in trying to get it stopped. United Debt Counselors wound up not negotiating with SEARS enough and I had to go to court for that. After I got in with the lawyers, I had to get back with UDC two or three times, but I had so many days to get that into the court and they were supposed to be representing me, and I wasn’t getting any result. Some way or another it didn’t get in there, so I wound up paying SEARS a lot more than I owed them.

United Debt Counselors response

Original review: May 27, 2018

My daughter was involved with United Debt Counselors and she told me about it, gave me the number, and I called them up because I was in a bad situation. I did not have anybody to give me the answers that I got from them. And then United Debt Counselors sent somebody out to work with me and everything. Enrollment process and everyone in the program were all wonderful. They explained things to me without being like I was wasting their time. And when I called, someone always returned my calls and explained all the questions that I have. So, it was a wonderful program. They worked very well with me on my monthly program payment, too. And even though sometimes I called them to death, everybody I talked to was patient. I appreciated what they were doing for me. I have already completed the program.

Original review: May 26, 2018

The process was good and payments were acceptable. Very polite and knowledgeable staff to work with. Courtesy calls were appreciated. Only bad part was the "follow up" to correct my credit rating. After paying upfront we have still seen no changes made.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I was in a position where I needed assistance and the services of United Debt Counselors sounded appealing. It was the first time I attempted to seek assistance and when I spoke to the person on the phone, that rep was helpful. Also, the enrollment went well. The reps tried to contact me once a month. However, it wasn't until the very end when I felt they had a lot of difficulties trying to wrap up my last account. I couldn't get anyone to respond to me with the reports that I wanted to find out the status of the last accounts that we did. The last three debts that were owed ended up in some kind of a collection portfolio. So, I was left having to do the last three debts on my own.

Even to this day, I don’t have anything that says I have completed. I thought I have graduated. Based on the conversation with the last representative I worked with, his name was Sonny, I had already completed the part that United Debt was gonna help me with. I asked for a letter stating that and it was odd because about a couple of months ago, I had a call asking they wanted to find out if I had any questions about the program. I told them that as far as I knew, I was out of the program. I want the record to show that I paid for the service but I ended up negotiating the last three of my debts. There was nothing United Debt could do. They were done with me. Working with United Debt was very awkward.

Original review: May 25, 2018

The worst company. Ugh. Didn’t pay my credit cards. The contract was for 24 months and then they extended for another 10 months. Please! Be careful with this company and asking for the statement and see how much they are paying your debts.

Original review: May 25, 2018

United Debt Counselors help me get out of debt. I'm pleased with their results. I feel like a free person... I have one credit card. That's enough! Thank you United Debt Counselors. Hopefully I won't need any help anymore. Have a great day.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I was having trouble making payments and I kept seeing United Debt Counselors advertised on television. I enrolled on the telephone, got everything started and the reps always answered my questions when I called. United Debt automatically took the money out of my checking account and I'm glad everything has been paid off.

Original review: May 24, 2018

From beginning to end, UDC was there for me. They made me feel comfortable with the decision to do debt settlements. They handled all of the negotiating with my creditors. Choosing UDC to help me was one of the best decisions I've made.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My experience with UDC was very helpful dealing with my debts. I would recommend them to my friends or anyone needing help with their debts. From the very start they were working with me on what to deal with as far as paying up on my credits. Whenever I would call with a question they were always understanding.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I heard about United Debt Counselors via word of mouth. It wasn't long before I got in touch with them and they sent a representative to my home. I enrolled immediately and began making monthly payments. That's all you have to do, is keep up with your payments. The three years went by fast and before I knew, my payments were done. What I liked about this company is that I would receive a phone call every month. The representative would ask if I had any questions about the process. I never did. I just kept making the payments. Now, I'm free of credit card debt. If I can do it, so can you. You'll want to use United Debt Counselors. They take care of everything. They stopped the unwanted phone calls I was getting from one of my creditors. If you know anyone having problems with credit card debt, send them here and they will be debt free after completing the program.

Original review: May 24, 2018

This was a very stressful time. Looking back over the experience I could have ruined my credit and been just as stressed without giving you money to do it. This is a Truly Terrible service. I would never recommend this service and your company to anyone.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I needed somebody to help me and I chose United Debt Counselors' settlement service. I was satisfied with the price they offered and my interactions with their representatives were good. They addressed my questions and concerns and helped me with the amount I had to pay. Then the payments came out of my checking account and I'm in the final phases of the program now.

United Debt Counselors Company Information