United Debt Counselors Request Information
  3. Debt Settlement
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Request Information
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.74/5

If you are overwhelmed by credit card debt or high-interest rates, United Debt Counselors (UDC) is here to provide customers with customized debt settlement services to get you out of debt and back to financial freedom. UDC is headquartered in Plano, Texas and has over 1,000 representatives in 18 states ready to provide the guidance you need to navigate your debt settlement program.

Our five-step approach includes:

1. We create a custom plan for your needs.

2. A field representative in one of 18 states meets with you face-to-face to review enrollment paperwork.

3. Once enrolled, you will have the option to create a special purpose savings account with a third-party financial institution in order to accrue funds for enrollment fees and settlement payments.

4. You and UDC agree on a monthly payment program.

5. Once you have accrued enough funds, we will approach the first creditor with a settlement offer - typically 30-40% of what is owed.

United Debt Counselors has representatives in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, DC, MA, MI, NC, NE, NM, NY, OK, VA, TX, ND, LA, and OH.

United Debt Counselors Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

United Debt Counselors is an online debt relief company that provides debt settlement services in 19 states. Find out if you're eligible for debt settlement services by visiting the company's website.

PROS

• Pay 30% to 40% of what you owe
  • Over 1,000 local representatives
  • Communicates with creditors

CONS

• Only available in 19 states

Top United Debt Counselors Reviews

I was broke and I was going deeper in debt. I had done some research and work, and United Debt Counselors has the best rating and program. It was pretty easy to get enrolled with them. I have completed the program which really worked. Overall, United Debt Counselors did a good job.

United Debt gave me a call and they explained to me what they do, how they could help. The consultant was very professional and she called me once a month to check up on me. I was able to set up a payment plan and pretty much take care of the debt. Also, they helped me raise my credit score.

United Debt Counselors Request Information

What is United Debt Counselors?

United Debt Counselors, also called UDC America, provides consumers with a practical solution to debt by negotiating with their creditors to lower the amount they owe. To find out if you’re eligible for United Debt Counselors’ debt relief services, visit the company’s website and fill out the quick and easy Client Estimator Tool. You need the following information:

• Your name
  • Your total debt amount
  • Your state of residence
  • Your phone number
  • Your email

Once UDC America receives your information, a representative contacts you about your eligibility status. If you meet United Debt Counselors’ debt relief program requirements — including living in one of the 19 states in which it operates — one of its professional debt counselors works with you to create a debt program tailored to your situation. The company has more than 1,000 representatives in 19 states.

UDC debt settlement

United Debt Counselors specializes in debt settlement, which means its debt experts work as liaisons between you and your creditors to negotiate your debt down to a payable amount — often around 30% to 40% of what you owe. United Debt Counselors repeats this process with each of your creditors until the company settles all of your debts.

To have the necessary funds to pay this percentage of your debt while also paying for United Debt Counselors’ settlement services, the company recommends that all customers start a special-purpose savings account with a third-party financial institution. You use the funds in this account to pay for your enrollment fees and save enough money to pay back your creditors.

Get a debt relief quote on United Debt Counselors’ website to find out if you’re eligible for its debt relief services, which could allow you to:

• Combine your payments into one low monthly payment
  • Pay off credit card debt quicker
  • Pay a lower interest rate on your debts

Is UDC America legit?

UDC America offers debt settlement services to residents in 19 states. The company employs professional debt counselors and has an easy online estimator tool. If you need a reliable debt settlement company, United Debt Counselors could be the right choice for you.

United Debt Counselors Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I had fantastic interactions with the debt consultants at United Debt Counselors. At first, earlier this year, there was Tyler and then we got to a point where one of the credit cards wasn’t really working with us and we didn’t understand it so he moved it to Donna. She worked really hard to get the credit card company to work with us. But they were so stubborn about I had to have a PIN and they wouldn’t recognize me in the system for United Debt to be able to talk to them. They were very difficult when all we wanted to do was pay our bill. Also at the time, I had come down with some cancer and I was getting ready to go through treatment and Donna was absolutely fabulous. I called her and she said, “No, I told you. We’re not gonna worry about this until you get yourself situated.”

Then when I called back about 2 months ago, the customer service folks set me up with a new person who was in a higher level to take care of the issue with the credit card that didn’t want to talk to me. Her name was Leticia and it took a little while for her to call me back but that was okay ‘cause when she called me back, they had it done that day. I don’t know how we figured it out for the credit card company to be able to authorize me to talk with them, but it happened and they also allowed the consultant to be able to talk with them.

The issue turned out to be that I had another card with the credit card company and they went ahead and wrote off both cards at the same time and we didn’t know that. On the phone call, they had already sent me a 1099 for both cards. Leticia was great and she put them on hold and said, ‘I’ll be right back with you.” She talked to me and said, “They’ve already written this off, 1099, and you filed your taxes already. Do you want to double-pay this?” She also told me that there would be nothing wrong with me to say, “I don’t want to put any more money on this.” We thought that we still had one more credit card to negotiate and the credit card company must have just assumed that we were negotiating for both cards whereas we were only negotiating for one card in the beginning.

I just can’t say enough good things about that counselor. If anybody were to come to me and say that they needed some help taking care of their credit, I would definitely recommend United Debt. I’ve got information in my phone that I could pass them on to it. I am now finished with the program and the quality of service I received was great. I got my statement in my e-mail every month letting me know what was going on so I could see that they were saving my money, and all the money that I had saved up for the last credit card. I’m hoping that I don’t ever have to use United Debt again, but they have been there for me when I needed them. Also, I was very happy to find out that they were backed by the BBB. That can relieve a lot of people’s skepticism about using a debt counseling service.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate it. We are glad to know that your interactions with us were fantastic. If you need anything else let us know.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I was sent a letter in the mail by United Debt Counselors and at that time, I was over my limit in bills. I decided to call the number and the lady talked to me. She explained to me the program and I agreed to what she was saying. I read the letter that others were sending me and they had a limit part so I didn’t like that. They were also charging me too much. I couldn’t afford it that was why I wanted to do the consolidation. United Debt Counselors came in at the right time because I had moved to Louisiana, and that was when they sent the letter.

United Debt Counselors took a lot of stress off me. They talked to the creditors and they negotiated with them. Everybody that was a part of that program working there was very kind and they wanted to make sure that they could meet my needs. They were wonderful. They answered my questions and they went beyond what I asked for.

The program was excellent because a couple of years later, I could not pay the amount that they had set me on, and they worked with me. I had paid enough into the program, and it paid off a lot of my credit cards. The program has worked for me to not get in debt anymore. I got the letter that I have graduated out of the program and my credit score has gone up. I'm thankful for that because I did apply for a major credit card as I needed one at least, and my credit score was 700. I have kept it and maintained at that place. I was very happy with United Debt Counselors and I still talk about it today. I referred it to a couple of people.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for taking the time to write our company a review. We are so glad to know we came into your life at the right time and were able to help you with your debt. We are here if you need anything else!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I wanted to pay off some debt that we had to save money 'cause my husband had student loans coming up. I Googled the internet and United Debt has pretty good reviews, and that was where I went. Everybody was very compassionate and caring, and they have wonderful customer service. I talked to so many different people and all the courtesy calls were appreciated. Lisa who was in the settlement department was really kind and compassionate. She helped me 'cause I was nervous and I didn't wanna get in trouble. I was never late in my bills and she kinda helped me through it when my creditors went to law firms.

United Debt doesn't work with one of our credit cards and that's Chase. I set up a program by myself with them. I'm making payments to them, but I'm almost done. I have also paid my last creditor and I'm done with the program with United Debt. It took three years to complete and the monthly payments were doable. Even when I had to pay extra, they were something that I could do. Working with United Debt kinda taught me how to manage money. If I need help, I know where to go. I have told my friends and co-workers about United Debt.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for your review of our company, we appreciate it. We are so happy that everyone treated you well and were compassionate, we know that being in debt is stressful and we want to be there with you to help you get through it. If you ever need us in the future please let us know. We are here for you.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We had a total of three credit cards that we've been trying to get straightened out. I sought United Debt's services and the enrollment process was okay. We did all of the processes then they sent me out the package. I sent back things that they had to get and they were good about it. We started with the smaller ones first then went to the big one. With the first two cards, United Debt’s negotiator was able to get everything worked out with the people that we owed the money to. But the last one, which was not their fault, the negotiator kept trying to send the information to the bank who kept sending the paperwork back. So, I let it go for three months from the time she started on this.

I had a time also that I was calling the negotiator and she didn't get back to me. I kept getting upset. But when she finally did, she was right on it. Still, she couldn't get anything done because the bank was not cooperating. I told her that it did not seem like the bank was gonna cooperate so, we opted out of the program. United Debt returned the money that we paid. I had all the faith in United Debt and it was the bank that was being a pain. We were making the payments and building the money up but the bank did not want to negotiate with us and that they wanted more money. They did not even wanna talk to the negotiator about it. So now, the bank is not gonna get anything because we are gonna file for bankruptcy. United Debt did a great job and if anybody has to go through what we did, I would recommend them.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for writing us a review. We really appreciate it. We are glad to hear that the process went well overall! If you ever need our help again just reach out.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

As I was watching TV, United Debt Counselors was advertised and I loved it. At the same time, I was looking at all my credit card bills. I was doing monthly payments and the interest was killing me. I had gotten sick and I was on a short term disability, which didn’t even cover half of my check. No matter how much you make, New York State disability only allows you $170 a week. It was no way that my bills, my rent, life insurance and medical would have been covered. So, I decided to take all my credit cards and put them in a program. United Debt Counselors was the first one that popped up when I turned the TV on, so I went for it.

The enrollment was done within the same day. When I called, the first agent I spoke with was David. I told him my situation and credit card history. He asked me some questions and I gave him the answers in one day. He said that a young lady was gonna call me within 24 or 48 hours, business days, and that she was gonna come by my home to sit down and talk. She called me the next day and came to me. She told me the process, how long it would take and my responsibility.

The rep convinced me that I can trust the program with the identity theft and all the craziness that’s going on nowadays. She built up my confidence that I can trust giving her personal information - my personal security and my checking account number. I'm the type of person that’s very hard to get some information from, especially if I don’t feel comfortable, but she made me feel that I made the right decision in the program that I chose to help me with my credit card issue.

The rep asked me the best week of the month that I can have the payment taken out of my checking account that would not interfere with my other bills like medicine, cable, life insurance, laundry, food, and cleaning bills. She said, “Well, you pick the day of the month, and it will only be on that day we will take out the payment. We won't interfere with any of your lifestyle.” It was the 15th of every month, but my pay period was every Wednesday and the 15th did not fall on the Wednesday of each month on the same date, and it was clashing with the due dates of my other bills. I said, “No. I have to pick a week where I don’t have bills to pay except my credit card payments.” And they allowed me to change the dates where it was perfect.

However, I got laid off. I called the program and I explained my situation and I gave them any documents that they needed to check to verify my issue. They worked with me to cut my monthly payments by a few dollars. I was having them take out $331.98, so they cut it down to $302 when I was on unemployment, and it worked out perfectly. But they told me that I have to add an extra couple of months. I was originally supposed to be finished by July, but being that they had to cut my payments for a few dollars, I had to extend it to October, which I had no problems with.

I was so relieved that I could pay them in 24 months. All my questions were answered and they called occasionally to check on me to see if everything was okay or if I had any concerns. Working with United Debt Counselors taught me a lesson. Too much of anything is not good for you and you can get lost and get carried away that you will find yourself in hot water real fast. The program also taught me that I have to be aware of my spending, my decisions and how it would impact my lifestyle. I've learned to not live above the means.

And because of that experience, I recommended to some of my coworkers that they also put their credit cards in the United Debt solution, and they have. United Debt Counselors has some of my coworkers as clients now and some have the 18-month program, while one has the 24. And now, they are trying to convince their family members to also join the program. United Debt Counselors is doing excellent.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a detailed and thorough review. We can't tell you how much we appreciate that. We are so excited to know that you had such a wonderful experience from start to finish. Thank you for sharing our program with your co-workers and clients. If you ever need anything in the future please do not hesitate to let us know!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Debt Counselors?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I was very pleased with the process that United Debt Counselors worked with me on. They were able to reduce the amount that I was paying monthly on the credit card and negotiated successfully with the company on a lower payoff.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are so glad that the program was a success and that you were very pleased with the process and the results. If you ever need anything else let us know.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

My daughter made me reach out to United Debt Counselors. The company was nice, and they went with a payment that worked for the amount that I owed. I’m out of debt now.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review, we really appreciate it. We are glad to know that the payment worked, our staff was nice and most importantly that we got you out of debt! If you ever need anything else let us know.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

United Debt Counselors to me is a very trustable and efficient company to use. When using this company I have had no trouble working with them. The customer service there is very quick at replying to any problems that I may have.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review, we appreciate it. We are so happy to hear that we were trustworthy and efficient. If you ever need anything else let us know.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

United Debt Counselors was great. They were very accommodating, easy to get in touch with and responded to phone calls by calling back or email quickly. I got three years in the program and I have completed it. Everything went fine.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write us a review. We are happy to hear that we were accommodating and that you have graduated from the program! If you need anything else please reach out.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

United Debt Counselors helped me a lot. I was with them for three years and I graduated last October. And now, I’m debt-free. I didn’t know that you need to have funds with them before they do the settlement, and it was a big amount that I needed to pay them first. So, I was scared because there were a lot of calls from the bank. And then, later on when they started the process, it was so smooth and very good. Lisa was my debt counselor and she was great. What is good with United Debt Counselors is that they check with you every month and they ask you if you have any questions. They also give you an update on your account. I would recommend them to many people. They did a good job.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write us a review. We are thrilled to hear that we helped you a lot and that we kept your informed throughout the process! If you need anything else please reach out.

United Debt Counselors Company Information