2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.46/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

If you are overwhelmed by credit card debt or high-interest rates, United Debt Counselors (UDC) is here to provide customers with customized debt settlement services to get you out of debt and back to financial freedom. UDC is headquartered in Plano, Texas and has over 1,000 representatives in 18 states ready to provide the guidance you need to navigate your debt settlement program.

Our five-step approach includes:

1. We create a custom plan for your needs.

2. A field representative in one of 18 states meets with you face-to-face to review enrollment paperwork.

3. Once enrolled, you will have the option to create a special purpose savings account with a third-party financial institution in order to accrue funds for enrollment fees and settlement payments.

4. You and UDC agree on a monthly payment program.

5. Once you have accrued enough funds, we will approach the first creditor with a settlement offer - typically 30-40% of what is owed.

United Debt Counselors has representatives in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, DC, MA, MI, NC, NE, NM, NY, OK, VA, TX, ND, LA, and OH.

BOTTOM LINE

United Debt Counselors is an online debt relief company that provides debt settlement services in 19 states. Find out if you're eligible for debt settlement services by visiting the company's website.

PROS

• Pay 30% to 40% of what you owe
  • Over 1,000 local representatives
  • Communicates with creditors

CONS

• Only available in 19 states

Top United Debt Counselors Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Debt Counselors?

I was broke and I was going deeper in debt. I had done some research and work, and United Debt Counselors has the best rating and program. It was pretty easy to get enrolled with them. I have completed the program which really worked. Overall, United Debt Counselors did a good job.

United Debt gave me a call and they explained to me what they do, how they could help. The consultant was very professional and she called me once a month to check up on me. I was able to set up a payment plan and pretty much take care of the debt. Also, they helped me raise my credit score.

United Debt Counselors Learn More

Find my match

What is United Debt Counselors?

United Debt Counselors, also called UDC America, provides consumers with a practical solution to debt by negotiating with their creditors to lower the amount they owe. To find out if you’re eligible for United Debt Counselors’ debt relief services, visit the company’s website and fill out the quick and easy Client Estimator Tool. You need the following information:

• Your name
  • Your total debt amount
  • Your state of residence
  • Your phone number
  • Your email

Once UDC America receives your information, a representative contacts you about your eligibility status. If you meet United Debt Counselors’ debt relief program requirements — including living in one of the 19 states in which it operates — one of its professional debt counselors works with you to create a debt program tailored to your situation. The company has more than 1,000 representatives in 19 states.

UDC debt settlement

United Debt Counselors specializes in debt settlement, which means its debt experts work as liaisons between you and your creditors to negotiate your debt down to a payable amount — often around 30% to 40% of what you owe. United Debt Counselors repeats this process with each of your creditors until the company settles all of your debts.

To have the necessary funds to pay this percentage of your debt while also paying for United Debt Counselors’ settlement services, the company recommends that all customers start a special-purpose savings account with a third-party financial institution. You use the funds in this account to pay for your enrollment fees and save enough money to pay back your creditors.

Get a debt relief quote on United Debt Counselors’ website to find out if you’re eligible for its debt relief services, which could allow you to:

• Combine your payments into one low monthly payment
  • Pay off credit card debt quicker
  • Pay a lower interest rate on your debts

Is UDC America legit?

UDC America offers debt settlement services to residents in 19 states. The company employs professional debt counselors and has an easy online estimator tool. If you need a reliable debt settlement company, United Debt Counselors could be the right choice for you.

United Debt Counselors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Debt Counselors?

Original review: March 27, 2020

United Debt Counselors offers a great program. I've had them a little over two years and it took me so long to get my graduation from the program letter. I also didn’t know that the write-offs that they do to help get you out of debt and the settlement that the people make with you, they send that back to you in the form of a W2 form off your income. Other than that, I was thankful that there was something out there that could help me settle my debt at the end. They set up the payments to come electronically out of my bank account, so I didn’t have any missed payments or any setbacks during the program.

It was a sacrifice, but it was one that I had to make. I know I made the bills, and I felt like it was my responsibility to pay them, but when you lose your job involuntarily and you don’t have that income that you had anymore, you have to make some provisions to make it. I didn’t wanna go that route, but that was the choice that I had to make. They say it was not bankruptcy, so I wasn’t trying to get out of paying my debt. It was just that I was in a position where involuntary termination of my job left me. I'm glad that I didn’t go the route of bankrupt.

Now all of a sudden, every time I turn around, I’m getting something from Capital One and from other companies. That's a good sign, but I keep them straight onto the trash. All in all, everything went well. I had two different reps and they were all knowledgeable. They also followed up on me and called me back through the program. They were great. If they missed me, they always left a number with a message as to who they were and why they were calling and to call back if I had any questions.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you very much for writing us a review. We are happy that we settled your debt and that you had no setbacks during the program. Sorry that your graduation letter was late. If you ever need anything else let me know.

Original review: March 1, 2020

I did online research trying to look for alternatives to help me manage, at the time, the issues with my high-interest credit cards and debts. I stumbled into the webpage of United Debt Counselors. I was skeptical at the beginning just because there was so much going on out there that you just don’t know. During the initial phone call they gathered a lot of my information and I decided to go in with the process. It takes some faith because even after I finished that phone call and everything sounded somewhat reasonable to me I have more questions than answers, and not necessarily questions that I knew how to ask.

At the beginning you see almost no movement because you’re building up how much money in that account you have to start negotiating. The most important thing is going to the extremes of making sure that the customer at the beginning understand that you’re doing something that goes against the nature of how credit cards usually work -- for me to be able to understand that I was not paying but building an account and I would have someone willing to talk to the credit card companies, and at some point, that negotiation was gonna take place. I would’ve loved to have been able to understand that a little sooner in the process.

It sounded crazy to not take any phone calls from creditors. One thing that helped me was giving the creditors United Debt Counselor's address, giving them the phone number and not getting any phone calls. After a while of not getting those calls there's a little peace in the sense that you’re kinda hoping that someone else is taking the heat and not you. One thing that also helped a lot was the monthly phone calls to try to see if I had any questions helped because it gave me an opportunity to talk to different people and I got to connect better with some, better than others. There were a few of those phone calls where I was able to connect really well with whomever was calling, and I was able to learn how to process work by the second quarter.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write our company a review. We are glad to know that although you were skeptical at the beginning that you put your faith in us. If you ever need anything let us know.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I lost a hand when I was younger and I had to go on disability. I was not able to keep up the payments. The credit cards company didn’t seem to care. So, I went with a 48-month program with United Debt Counselors and completed it. Their reps were very courteous and very helpful. But they said it would take 48 months to get all my unsecured debts taken care of and it seemed like I ended up paying about $34,000. I didn't see where it would save me money but they took care of it. And it was better than paying 25 years on secured debt. Also, they said they would send me a certificate stating I completed the program and a refund check which I haven’t seen yet.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review, we appreciate it. We are happy to hear that our reps were courteous and helpful. Just so you know we settled your debt for $16,065.59 on the $35,521.92 that you owed which means you saved $19,456.33!! If you ever need anything else please let us know. We will be contacting you about the letter and the refund check.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I received something in the mail and the literature seemed a little bit more believable than a lot of the other consolidation pamphlets. I was on the phone with a representative. She was very informative and wasn’t pushy. Then, it was just a very easy process. In the beginning, after signing up, paying a lot of upfront fees and building up the savings account to pull from to be able to consolidate with or offer a lower debt settlement to the various companies, I was not really making headway and I got a little discouraged. It was quite a chunk to commit to every month out of my paycheck so that part was the hardest but then paying back any debt is hard. United Debt Counselors was always there to talk to and guide me and I never felt like I was dealing with some huge company. A few times, I had called and had gotten the same person from the customer service which was nice rather than call centers.

They were easy to work with and If I had a problem, they were quick to respond or research whatever the question was pretty quickly. They set it up for me, they find out what I owe to these companies, they make suggestions and then they kinda put it together. Within $30 from the first representative that I talked to till I signed the paperwork of what the estimate was, from $500 every month and it ended up being 540, I was able to close out all of this. They tried to guarantee two years, where my debt was that I needed to do it for, and I added an extra four months with it so it was within the timeframe. My experience was good. I am glad that I’m pretty much debt-free for the most part.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for writing us a review. We are very glad to know that we were there from you throughout the process. If you ever need anything else from us let us know.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I had fantastic interactions with the debt consultants at United Debt Counselors. At first, earlier this year, there was Tyler and then we got to a point where one of the credit cards wasn’t really working with us and we didn’t understand it so he moved it to Donna. She worked really hard to get the credit card company to work with us. But they were so stubborn about I had to have a PIN and they wouldn’t recognize me in the system for United Debt to be able to talk to them. They were very difficult when all we wanted to do was pay our bill. Also at the time, I had come down with some cancer and I was getting ready to go through treatment and Donna was absolutely fabulous. I called her and she said, “No, I told you. We’re not gonna worry about this until you get yourself situated.”

Then when I called back about 2 months ago, the customer service folks set me up with a new person who was in a higher level to take care of the issue with the credit card that didn’t want to talk to me. Her name was Leticia and it took a little while for her to call me back but that was okay ‘cause when she called me back, they had it done that day. I don’t know how we figured it out for the credit card company to be able to authorize me to talk with them, but it happened and they also allowed the consultant to be able to talk with them.

The issue turned out to be that I had another card with the credit card company and they went ahead and wrote off both cards at the same time and we didn’t know that. On the phone call, they had already sent me a 1099 for both cards. Leticia was great and she put them on hold and said, ‘I’ll be right back with you.” She talked to me and said, “They’ve already written this off, 1099, and you filed your taxes already. Do you want to double-pay this?” She also told me that there would be nothing wrong with me to say, “I don’t want to put any more money on this.” We thought that we still had one more credit card to negotiate and the credit card company must have just assumed that we were negotiating for both cards whereas we were only negotiating for one card in the beginning.

I just can’t say enough good things about that counselor. If anybody were to come to me and say that they needed some help taking care of their credit, I would definitely recommend United Debt. I’ve got information in my phone that I could pass them on to it. I am now finished with the program and the quality of service I received was great. I got my statement in my e-mail every month letting me know what was going on so I could see that they were saving my money, and all the money that I had saved up for the last credit card. I’m hoping that I don’t ever have to use United Debt again, but they have been there for me when I needed them. Also, I was very happy to find out that they were backed by the BBB. That can relieve a lot of people’s skepticism about using a debt counseling service.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate it. We are glad to know that your interactions with us were fantastic. If you need anything else let us know.

Original review: April 10, 2020

They are great and keep you informed of what is going on. And would help if you had questions. If I had to have someone I would definitely use them again. They know what they are doing and are very friendly.

Original review: March 31, 2020

After I got into the United Debt Counselors program, I let them do everything. They said they could take care of it and that was what happened, which I’m satisfied with.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for writing us a review, we appreciate it. We are so glad that you let us handle it all it that we got it all done for you. If you need anything in the future we are here for you.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I have completed the program but enrolling at the beginning was easy. United sent somebody out and I spoke to somebody face-to-face. That was pretty impressive. Once they got all the information, they gave a timeframe on how long it would take. The bottomline is that they took care of my debt and cut cost for me. They saved me a lot of money and now, I'm debt-free in that aspect.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write our company a review. We are glad to know that we saved you a lot of money and now that you are debt-free. If you ever need anything else please do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I am thankful for United Debt Counselors. They were always there to answer questions and always giving me advice on what to do to help me. They would always let me know everything every step of the way. I found them at the right time!

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are so glad to hear that we answered all your questions and were with you every step of the way. If you ever need anything else in the future please let us know.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

When I was searching online about debt consolidation companies and was comparing the advantages of the different percentages of payoffs compared to other ones, I found out that United Debt Counselors had a pretty good margin, which was what turned me onto their side. Also, when I spoke to Ricardo, he was really nice and explained the procedures to me very well.

The sign-up process was pretty much self-explanatory. I followed up what they told me and a lady came up in here and we did all the paperwork. I was a little skeptical because I've never done this before, but she briefly explained to me what it was gonna be like. Then I was in touch with the guy in charge of my account. I've had little disappointments a couple of times. When I called and was trying to figure out things that I've never known before, the way they expressed themselves wasn't nice.

But I love the way I communicate well with Tyler. We worked out deals with the settlements and the payoffs of the settlements according to my and their benefit. After that, everything worked out. Then I wanted to get it out of my way as soon as possible and I did. I’m 100% paid on all debts and I’m now working on the taxes part of it. Since it’s a discharged debt, I will have to pay taxes on it. United Debt Counselors is worthwhile if you have a debt and you wanna get rid of it sooner and have less to pay.

United Debt Counselors response

Thank you for writing us a review, we appreciate it. We are happy that Ricardo was nice and that the sign up process was simple. We are sorry to hear that you had some issues, if you can please contact us we would love to get more details so we can address that concern. If you ever need anything else do not hesitate to let us know.

United Debt Counselors Company Information