Union Bank
1.18/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Union Bank of California

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Union Bank Reviews

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I absolutely despise and hate Union Bank. I am done, and I’m closing my account. I’ve actually had it for about 4-5 years but I’ve been getting bigger checks from my work and they hold my checks way too long. It’s ridiculous. I went in last Thursday to deposit my 5,000$ (not THAT much, right? Plus I’ve been getting these size checks for a while now so it’s not anything new for my account) and they said it would be deposited in my account Saturday. Even on the receipt it said it would be in there Saturday. Come Saturday, still not in there. So I called, and they couldn’t see it even pending on my account.

They said call back Monday if it’s still not in there. Well, it’s Monday and it’s not in there. It’s not even showing on my account as pending. I am now late on multiple bills. And will have to pay late fees. I could have avoided this by just cashing the check and depositing cash and I'd see the money instantly. But they LIED to me. I am closing my account after I see this $ and get my bills paid. Do not bank here.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Beware of Union Bank charging a demand fee on your actual loan statement. I was considering a refi with another institution and a $30.00 junk fee showed up on my next mortgage statement! Being a real estate professional, this is the first I have heard of this practice, which usually occurs when they close the loan with the new lender. I called them and they stated it is now industry standard. So, beware they are out to get these fees sooner rather than later. My loan was with another lender and subsequently sold to Union Bank, so their little $30 fee has now alerted me to not work with Union Bank. If I could give a ZERO instead of a ONE I would do it! Bye Bye Union Bank!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

What is with Union Bank. I paid their loan off in full, mailed a certified check on September 11th for $14,092.64. On September 25 I sent a letter to Union Bank after I received another statement not showing the loan was paid off. I called and after the customer service rep did some checking he informed me I accidentally mailed the bottom copy of the check not the actual check. It would seem you would call your customer right away. Union Bank received the copy of certified check on or around September 13th - yet no calls or letters. Clearly Union Bank could see the loan had been paid off in full. In my letter dated September 25th I informed them I am not responsible for any additional money to their bank, clearly it was a communication error on their part.

Today October 26, 2019 1 month after I sent the letter I get a statement stating I still owe $237.60. Really they had a month to contact me either via mail or phone call to address this, but did not. This is bad business ethics from my view point, had been a customer a long time. When I got informed I accidentally sent the bottom portion of check I immediately mailed the actual check the next day. What will be next month - I have lost faith in this company. A phone call from them back in early September could have avoided this mess and STRESS for me.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Union Bank customer service is lousy. I called twice yesterday; was told that they would call me back, never called me back. I called the local bank. The bank told me they could not give me my information over the phone. I cannot get to the bank, so I asked about my checking acct. The woman kept telling me to come into the bank. I told her the c.S. Would not call me back. Again, I was told to go to the bank. She refused to help me. I am reporting this so-called bank to the federal reserve. Union Bank is customer service is always closed early during the week. Closed early on Saturday and not even there on Sundays. And definitely closed on holidays. What a mess!!!! J.N. Vista, CA 92083

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

My teenage son is now in control of his finances. He works and has money going into his checking account and he transfers some into savings. Well this past month he bought a car and started school so he has been transferring money from savings to checking to keep up with the busy month. Apparently, he went over his transfer limit but he didn't know. We got a letter in the mail saying his account is being changed to a checking account because of the over limit on transfers. When we spoke with the office, they said he should have received an email and letter in the mail telling him he is close to reaching his limit but we never did. His account is now flagged and he cannot open another savings account anywhere else for a year. That is crazy. Now he has two checking accounts with them for no reason. Smh.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Union Bank of California?

Original review: July 5, 2019

We recently bought a home and our mortgage broker went with Union Bank. We wanted to open a line of credit to do some home improvements. After 3 weeks of basically not getting anywhere with a team out of Arizona - we gave up. They don't return phone calls - send wrong information. We are not rookies dealing with banks but we're so frustrated. We decided to call Wells Fargo and in 3 working days are farther into the process than with 3 weeks with Union Bank. Very frustrating to work with.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I mailed my payment bill of $100.00. Lol. Somehow it was lost. I have been a customer from the 1980's and a credit score of over 800! They never called! They never notified me the payment was not received. They automatically put a hold on my card over a 89.00 payment. Then when trying to buy a birthday gift on a website I find out my card is no good?? Lol. Good bye forever. I will never use their Service again.

P.S. I gave up on their banking services in the 90's when they were treating customers like trash a charging us for office visits and other services that use to be free including raising minimum balances to outrageous amounts on savings accounts. Also..!! So you know Union Bank just recently started taking over and handling of their own credit cards again in 2019. So this new and poor customer service is directly Union Bank and not a service company that use to handling their cards for the past 15 to 20 years.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I have dealt with Union Bank for 28 years, and as a lawyer represented one of its predecessors (Bank of California). They used to be among the most honest, most customer-oriented businesses I ever encountered. They have gone through several mergers, and it has ruined them. Rude, remote, and bureaucratic, and worst of all, incompetent. They make astonishing mistakes, meanwhile bristling with "gotcha" fees and penalties. Their unofficial motto is "nothing can be done." I award a second star only because the local staff, once you become acquainted, are friendly and do their best, under the handicap of awful management.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My loan got transferred to Union Bank. They didn't send out a statement until it was the 11th hour so I had to get online to see my statement. Their online system was incredibly buggy and their information about me was wrong. The blamed the last loan provider. I had two different reps trying to help me. Finally they said they had to mail (yes, snail mail) me a username and password to get online. That sort of defeated the whole purpose.

I finally figure out a work around and got logged in. That lasted a few days. I tried to get online and I couldn't log in. I tried to recover my account and my information is back to be incorrect. On top of all that they're sending me letters to change my address from what it was to the same thing. They also keep including my ex wife but when I call they claim she's not in their system. They need to replace their IT leadership.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I opened two separate bank accounts on the same day, one with Union bank and another with a different bank. Unbeknownst to me that this could cause an issue with Union Bank. Two weeks later I tried to log in to my account and could not log into the account. So, I called the 800#, the customer service lady said in a condescending manner that the accounts needs to be close due to opening multiple bank accounts. What is wrong with having multiple banks. Although this could be my fault since I open two accounts in separate banks on the same day, learned my lesson on that, but the way Union Bank handle this matter was unprofessional and demeaning.

Think twice If you are considering doing business with Union Bank. I closed my accounts and got my money ASAP. Good riddance Union Bank. There are much better banks out there with much better customer service relations. I know one specifically but I can't mention it, but do your research you will find this bank. This other bank has great customer service relations, they even have coffee and cookie in the lobby and you are greeted with a smile and they even remember everyone's name.

My Union Bank experience was terrible and degrading. Hopefully you get a different more pleasant treatment than I received. But no matter, if you are okay with being treated as a second rate customer then by all means check out Union Banks. But if you want to be treated as a valuable customer since after all you are putting your hard earned money in a bank that you should the very least get treated with respect then go find another bank to do business with, not Union Bank.

Union Bank Company Information