2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.8/5 (219 ratings)

About Union Bank

Union Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Union Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Union Bank?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

Union Bank offered the best fixed rate of the 5 banks I had spoken to with reasonable closing costs but a lower than 3 star rating. What I found was a Processor working from home who was grossly unqualified and totally preoccupied with home issues that directly affected his ability to properly, accurately and timely process our Refi. His supporting Staff, BC Law Firm and Landel Title companies never seemed to have the information they needed and fell far short of providing accurate support.

The entire process was an exercise in futility by having to deal with gross mismanagement and in one major instance a failure to distribute funds in accordance with the timelines contractually signed and notarized documents then later calling and asking for information again that had been provided weeks earlier. This entire Union Bank Mortgage team is one of if not the worse we have ever dealt with in our many, many years of buying and Refinancing. I did not think any lender could be as bad as the one I had. I was wrong. Avoid these people.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

Recently opened up a checking account with Union Bank. Tried online banking first week I opened my account and it was smooth. A month later I try to log in and requested a code be sent to my phone- IT TOOK THEM 5 MINUTED TO TEXT THE CODE AND MY ACCOUNT WAS LOCKED! It is the weekend, have to pay a bill asap, no customer service, no phone or online info on how to unlock, unable to contact anyone online CAUSE I CAN'T LOG ON TO MY ACCOUNT! Really? Spend some money on being tech-centric. What a joke, no service, no online tutorials. Big F for FAILURE.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Just got off of the phone with the fraud department at Union Bank due to multiple charges that were made on the other side of the country. $2000 plus of charges that was made to be exact. Initially the representative in fraud that contacted me was polite and indicated that they noticed purchases that are out of the norm for me. I reviewed these and definitely was not in NY taking Uber, requiring Uber delivery eats, or dining in multiple restaurants. What alerted them was the fact that I made purchases at the same time from my location across the country. Fast forward and multiple rude fraud representatives.

It was determined that my purchases were accurate because the merchant provided a receipt therefore I must have purchased this. The fraud representative "Phil" indicated that the bank has done everything and made multiple attempts to correct this with me in pursuit of resolving the problem. I indicated that I have been the one calling weekly to fix this and continuously get rude people aside for the one who alerted me and that I have also not received a letter or call from their department since the first reported day.

His indication is that it was found that I am abusing the bank system by purchasing items and then claiming they are not mine. I requested proof of this and also indicated that I would like documentation of their review. He stated that I was rude, I was making accusations of them being fraudulent, and that me being upset was upsetting him and he will hang up if I make comments like, "what am I supposed to do now?", "what else is there to prevent this from happening?", "why aren't you guys taking this seriously in regards to a small business who is already suffering due to Covid and being ripped off?".

His reaction was, "Sir, your attitude will get you dropped from this call." He finished by asking, "Do you use a debit card for gas or other purchases?" I indicated yes just like millions of people throughout the world. His literal quote is as follows, "Well everyone knows that you can get hacked from a debit card so you should have seen this coming." My response back was asking, "What are they going to do about this crime and my money." His final comment was, Nothing, they have done everything they can. I have been a Union Bank supporter for years and trusted my small business to them. Now that they are moving on to USBank at the end of this year they are already showing their dismissal of customer support and allowing fraud to happen. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I used to bank with Union Bank of California. They are the worst bank to do business with. They sequence checks to get more overdraft fees from the account holders. We are responsible for our accounts but Union Bank was sued for this practice. They have a culture of rude and unhelpful employees at every location I have entered. I left Union Bank for US Bank and have been much happier since. Basically Union Bank of California sucks!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Whatever business you do with this bank, I highly suggest you don’t get a mortgage loan unless you want to close late which was what happened to me. I also had to buy my rate after assuring I wasn’t. My calls/e mails are ignored with zero transparency.

Original review: June 11, 2021

We have banked with Union Bank of California since Great American Savings went bankrupt in 1991. So we were reluctant to consider leaving; however, the recent experience with their third-rate, disinterested customer service gave us the impetus. This is a long, tedious and frustrating tale. We had been doing a recurring mortgage payment through our Online Banking at UBOC. About 8 months ago, I had to make a one-time change to the recurring payment. The following month I readjusted the payment to what it should have been. I didn't notice that the system didn't register it; as a result, our mortgage payment was almost late. I happened to notice on the last day and called Customer Service. They seemed confounded and, after several phone calls and in-person meetings, offered no help.

As we were considering doing a refi, I started paying manually and thought they would figure it out. The refi finally went through in early May and our first payment is now coming due in July. I added the new Payee and tried to start the series -- it didn't work. I called Customer Service and spent a bit more than an hour on the phone. Supposedly they created a ticket for their IT department to fix the problem. This was 3 days ago. I didn't hear back from anyone and the Recurring Payment still didn't work. I spent 4 phone calls, totaling almost 2 hours more, with Customer Service.

I found out that (1) no one had even looked at my problem; (2) that UBOC doesn't call the customer to notify of any problems or fixes; (3) that when you go to the branch to get help from the Genesee Branch Manager, she is too busy with her meetings to pay any attention to a long-time customer. At least according to the flippant young teller who couldn't have cared less and showed it. So --- goodbye Union Bank of California and good riddance. Hello Navy Federal. They seem to actually care about their customers.

Original review: June 21, 2020

It is my considered opinion, that UB is fraudulent-they bought other banks, and thus their loans, HELOCS, etc. But when a mortgage(s) are paid the original documents if demanded must be surrendered-but alas UB is SO disorganized they could not produce these documents-thus the fraud-they used the telephone to defraud us out of our home-a very expensive home. Our attorneys will pursue MUFG instead of UB as they are the parent-they owe me a new home-and time will tell-but legally no footing at all for them-they cannot prevail-if anyone else had an assumed HELOC with UB do contact me-a matter of "Class" with extenuating circumstances is being considered by our contingent attorney.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I have been banking with Union Bank for well over twenty years and have unfortunately run into a problem with your on-line banking department. I have called four times to set up on-line banking with Quicken and have spent a cumulative amount of time equating to two hours on hold. I have completed the on-line registration form twice, (the second time with a representative assisting) to ensure it was indeed submitted. I have been told I would receive a call back the last two occasions and sadly no one has called. I left basically this very message on their Facebook page and was told I would receive a call back from manager of the on-line banking department. To my dismay, I never received a call back from them as well. I'm at a loss as to why I was treated that way given my loyalty and longevity with banking with them. *Sad.

Original review: March 4, 2020

People should be aware Union Bank uses deceptive bait and switch methods in their mortgage business practices combined with uncompetitive rates and poor service. A very large misrepresentation of over $8,000 was revealed to us after they took a $550 fee. Due to lower mortgage rates, we initiated a refinance process with our bank of over 35 years. We were told due to our large deposit relationship with Union Bank, we would have a special lender credit covering all loan-related costs with almost $2,000 in addition to apply to pre-pays or lower the loan amount – our choice. Because of this attractive promise our son and daughter in law also started a refinance process with Union Bank. We were both promised this would be confirmed with a formal quote to us right away from day 1. Nothing came.

It took 2 weeks to receive a formal quote for son/daughter-in-law and a month (four weeks!) for our first correct one after multiple requests, more promises to respond, a meeting weeks after we started this process where many times our mortgage representative (Julie Nickerson, Assistant Vice President – Encinitas, California branch) deflected from answering this direct question about loan-related costs talking about other things, never answering our basic question. We also had limited response during the process. Many of our calls and email messages went unanswered and repetitive promises of responses that never came. We received a voice mail from Julie apologizing for this. When we did receive a response it was largely excuses avoiding answering the main question (what are the loan-related costs?). Our son and daughter in law experienced the same poor service.

When we finally received our correct ‘Closing Disclosure’ for a 3.5% rate about a month after we started the process there was no lender credit and in fact, $6,359.35 in loan-related costs (not pre-pays). This misrepresentation was over $8,000! We didn’t change our minds on the rate option - another attempted excuse. All options turned out to have very high loan-related costs. Our son and daughter in law had a similar surprise when they finally received their formal quote.

There was no misunderstanding from either of us. I was a University Economics professor with about 8 mortgages over 40 years. Our son and daughter-in-law (Masters in Business Finance) were clearly explained and promised this same relationship discount in separate conversations from us and they received a confirmation email response. If Union Bank had been truthful to us or even provided formal quotes to us quickly as promised, and is standard in this industry, we would have moved on and all our troubles would have been avoided. This huge misrepresentation ended up being a classic ‘bait and switch’ to get us to move forward based on now realized misplaced trust we had for Union Bank due to dealings for the past 35 years.

Unfortunately, because of the good deal offered and because of our long relationship with Union Bank, I trusted Union Bank and advised my son and daughter in law to also work with them. They deceptively took a $550 appraisal fee from them and immediately ordered an appraisal before any paperwork was signed to lock us in prior to receiving any formal notice of the huge change in the deal. Both we and our son and daughter in law are very high-qualified mortgage customers. My wife and I have extremely high credit ratings (830), 40 years of paying mortgages without missing a single payment, good income & assets, extremely low loan to value ratio (24%), no consumer debt, complete confirming documentation provided within 24 hours, and no other issues. Other mortgage companies have told us we were star customers.

Due to the poor service we received from Union Bank and during the long lag of receiving a formal quote, we searched the industry and found a mortgage refinance from Metropolitan Home Mortgage (dba Intelliloan) for 3.25% with a lender credit of $2,427 resulting in just $312 in loan-related costs. They provided formal quotes within hours and responded quickly to our inquiries. We communicated this to Union Bank and were informed they could not match it. We decided to move forward with this much more favorable deal after experiencing our ‘special relationship’ with Union Bank was just a frustrating bait and switch deception taking advantage of our trust from our over 35-year relationship. Our son and daughter in law also took advantage of the same deal resulting in about $900,000 in high-quality mortgage refinance business lost for Union Bank.

We requested Union Bank to refund the $550 fee because they deceptively and quite dramatically changed the deal promised. We copied the Encinitas Branch Manager on all correspondence about this problem completely informing her of this very poor and unprofessional service. We realize people do make mistakes creating this misleading experience with Union Bank and were requesting no favors for us.

We did not ask anything for our stressful frustration and time, just for Union Bank to do the right thing and repair the direct financial damage caused us due to this deception. They refused. As we informed Union Bank if they did not do the right thing, we have decided to end our long relationship with Union Bank removing over $400,000 of deposits to seek an institution worthy of our relationship. From Union Bank we experienced deceptive methods, uncompetitive rates, very poor service, and no responsibility to make things right. The final response from our Union Bank representative, Julie, after informing us Union Bank refused to refund the $550 fee was: “I will consider this matter now closed.” – arrogance, no apology, no remorse, no caring... not what anyone should be subjected to!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

BEWARE: 20 year customer for my personal accounts, husband's small business accounts and my company's business accounts - we received a letter cancelling all 3 sets of accounts and absolutely refused to offer an explanation. I am a check signer on my company's account, with no common ownership and all of the accounts were cancelled on the same day - decision final, no explanation. All accounts are and have been in good standing. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Local branch has no information and is not able to help. A consultant told our company it most likely related to one foreign wire to pay for parts we have been ordering for years - but the bank did not give us a chance to explain, discuss and is penalizing me personally along with my husband's small business.

Union Bank Company Information