Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5

Union Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Union Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Union Bank?

Original review: June 21, 2020

It is my considered opinion, that UB is fraudulent-they bought other banks, and thus their loans, HELOCS, etc. But when a mortgage(s) are paid the original documents if demanded must be surrendered-but alas UB is SO disorganized they could not produce these documents-thus the fraud-they used the telephone to defraud us out of our home-a very expensive home. Our attorneys will pursue MUFG instead of UB as they are the parent-they owe me a new home-and time will tell-but legally no footing at all for them-they cannot prevail-if anyone else had an assumed HELOC with UB do contact me-a matter of "Class" with extenuating circumstances is being considered by our contingent attorney.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I have been banking with Union Bank for well over twenty years and have unfortunately run into a problem with your on-line banking department. I have called four times to set up on-line banking with Quicken and have spent a cumulative amount of time equating to two hours on hold. I have completed the on-line registration form twice, (the second time with a representative assisting) to ensure it was indeed submitted. I have been told I would receive a call back the last two occasions and sadly no one has called. I left basically this very message on their Facebook page and was told I would receive a call back from manager of the on-line banking department. To my dismay, I never received a call back from them as well. I'm at a loss as to why I was treated that way given my loyalty and longevity with banking with them. *Sad.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2020

People should be aware Union Bank uses deceptive bait and switch methods in their mortgage business practices combined with uncompetitive rates and poor service. A very large misrepresentation of over $8,000 was revealed to us after they took a $550 fee. Due to lower mortgage rates, we initiated a refinance process with our bank of over 35 years. We were told due to our large deposit relationship with Union Bank, we would have a special lender credit covering all loan-related costs with almost $2,000 in addition to apply to pre-pays or lower the loan amount – our choice. Because of this attractive promise our son and daughter in law also started a refinance process with Union Bank. We were both promised this would be confirmed with a formal quote to us right away from day 1. Nothing came.

It took 2 weeks to receive a formal quote for son/daughter-in-law and a month (four weeks!) for our first correct one after multiple requests, more promises to respond, a meeting weeks after we started this process where many times our mortgage representative (Julie Nickerson, Assistant Vice President – Encinitas, California branch) deflected from answering this direct question about loan-related costs talking about other things, never answering our basic question. We also had limited response during the process. Many of our calls and email messages went unanswered and repetitive promises of responses that never came. We received a voice mail from Julie apologizing for this. When we did receive a response it was largely excuses avoiding answering the main question (what are the loan-related costs?). Our son and daughter in law experienced the same poor service.

When we finally received our correct ‘Closing Disclosure’ for a 3.5% rate about a month after we started the process there was no lender credit and in fact, $6,359.35 in loan-related costs (not pre-pays). This misrepresentation was over $8,000! We didn’t change our minds on the rate option - another attempted excuse. All options turned out to have very high loan-related costs. Our son and daughter in law had a similar surprise when they finally received their formal quote.

There was no misunderstanding from either of us. I was a University Economics professor with about 8 mortgages over 40 years. Our son and daughter-in-law (Masters in Business Finance) were clearly explained and promised this same relationship discount in separate conversations from us and they received a confirmation email response. If Union Bank had been truthful to us or even provided formal quotes to us quickly as promised, and is standard in this industry, we would have moved on and all our troubles would have been avoided. This huge misrepresentation ended up being a classic ‘bait and switch’ to get us to move forward based on now realized misplaced trust we had for Union Bank due to dealings for the past 35 years.

Unfortunately, because of the good deal offered and because of our long relationship with Union Bank, I trusted Union Bank and advised my son and daughter in law to also work with them. They deceptively took a $550 appraisal fee from them and immediately ordered an appraisal before any paperwork was signed to lock us in prior to receiving any formal notice of the huge change in the deal. Both we and our son and daughter in law are very high-qualified mortgage customers. My wife and I have extremely high credit ratings (830), 40 years of paying mortgages without missing a single payment, good income & assets, extremely low loan to value ratio (24%), no consumer debt, complete confirming documentation provided within 24 hours, and no other issues. Other mortgage companies have told us we were star customers.

Due to the poor service we received from Union Bank and during the long lag of receiving a formal quote, we searched the industry and found a mortgage refinance from Metropolitan Home Mortgage (dba Intelliloan) for 3.25% with a lender credit of $2,427 resulting in just $312 in loan-related costs. They provided formal quotes within hours and responded quickly to our inquiries. We communicated this to Union Bank and were informed they could not match it. We decided to move forward with this much more favorable deal after experiencing our ‘special relationship’ with Union Bank was just a frustrating bait and switch deception taking advantage of our trust from our over 35-year relationship. Our son and daughter in law also took advantage of the same deal resulting in about $900,000 in high-quality mortgage refinance business lost for Union Bank.

We requested Union Bank to refund the $550 fee because they deceptively and quite dramatically changed the deal promised. We copied the Encinitas Branch Manager on all correspondence about this problem completely informing her of this very poor and unprofessional service. We realize people do make mistakes creating this misleading experience with Union Bank and were requesting no favors for us.

We did not ask anything for our stressful frustration and time, just for Union Bank to do the right thing and repair the direct financial damage caused us due to this deception. They refused. As we informed Union Bank if they did not do the right thing, we have decided to end our long relationship with Union Bank removing over $400,000 of deposits to seek an institution worthy of our relationship. From Union Bank we experienced deceptive methods, uncompetitive rates, very poor service, and no responsibility to make things right. The final response from our Union Bank representative, Julie, after informing us Union Bank refused to refund the $550 fee was: “I will consider this matter now closed.” – arrogance, no apology, no remorse, no caring... not what anyone should be subjected to!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

BEWARE: 20 year customer for my personal accounts, husband's small business accounts and my company's business accounts - we received a letter cancelling all 3 sets of accounts and absolutely refused to offer an explanation. I am a check signer on my company's account, with no common ownership and all of the accounts were cancelled on the same day - decision final, no explanation. All accounts are and have been in good standing. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Local branch has no information and is not able to help. A consultant told our company it most likely related to one foreign wire to pay for parts we have been ordering for years - but the bank did not give us a chance to explain, discuss and is penalizing me personally along with my husband's small business.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

BAD RELATIONSHIP FROM THE START. The only notice that my account has been transferred came as a form letter. They only allow payments after the due date. All loans are due on the first one the month. They do not allow early payment of the loan. Which means all payments are applied after they're due. Given outside bank account info: l was registering the account with the Union Bank to set up the automatic payment. But they already had all my bank information from my previous loan servicer online payment setup. So the syndicated loan to Union Bank bank was given my outside account information without my consent.

ESCROW & INSURANCE. Further the interface for UNION BANK doesn't show anything about my escrow which is in my compound loan. They also do not show insurance information or that they intend to pay my insurance company like the past loan servicer. Weird customer service. The customer service person l talked to didn't know what the interface looked like and she said "l can't see your loan." But, she sure could ask me all kinds of metadata about me without providing a walk through on the website that l was seeing. l asked the CS to show me where my Escrow and Insurance amounts and she said "You have to wait for a statement". The website is sorely lacking in basic functions of Home Loan Servicing.

l asked for the direct link to the Home Loan portal and she told me there is none. l would have to log in from the Union Bank site even though l have no other accounts there. l told her that, "l would not open another account there ever based on this interaction". The worst part is that the CS worker was hostile and rude from the get go. l can only pray to JESUS that my loan will be syndicated to a company that has an actual working website and is customer focused. Sincerely Unhappy With Union Bank

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Our association in Washington State followed all the hoops required by Union Bank to close accounts and they still screwed it up! They left credit card accounts open, allowed charges to to hit the card, and then had the gall to try and charge all sorts of fees when the credit card (that they should have closed) was not paid. They even tried to issue a check from our checking account to pay off the card (as it was set to automatically pay each month from this account when the accounts were open) and they charged a return check fee. You wait for over 10 minutes to speak to anyone, even their collections department! This is by far the worst bank ever! Their staff are not professional or just were not trained properly - whether at branches or online the end to end capabilities of this bank are woefully inadequate and frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I am really frustrated with Union Bank and their process regarding check deposits in the bank and online. My branch in the city of Rialto California is open Monday thru Saturday. On Saturdays they are open from 9 am to 1pm. I have had bills late due to the the wait time. When online I wait five days for my check to clear and in the bank if done on Saturday it takes 3 days for it clear because they say they do no banking on weekends but yet the bank is open and doing business.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I absolutely despise and hate Union Bank. I am done, and I’m closing my account. I’ve actually had it for about 4-5 years but I’ve been getting bigger checks from my work and they hold my checks way too long. It’s ridiculous. I went in last Thursday to deposit my 5,000$ (not THAT much, right? Plus I’ve been getting these size checks for a while now so it’s not anything new for my account) and they said it would be deposited in my account Saturday. Even on the receipt it said it would be in there Saturday. Come Saturday, still not in there. So I called, and they couldn’t see it even pending on my account.

They said call back Monday if it’s still not in there. Well, it’s Monday and it’s not in there. It’s not even showing on my account as pending. I am now late on multiple bills. And will have to pay late fees. I could have avoided this by just cashing the check and depositing cash and I'd see the money instantly. But they LIED to me. I am closing my account after I see this $ and get my bills paid. Do not bank here.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Beware of Union Bank charging a demand fee on your actual loan statement. I was considering a refi with another institution and a $30.00 junk fee showed up on my next mortgage statement! Being a real estate professional, this is the first I have heard of this practice, which usually occurs when they close the loan with the new lender. I called them and they stated it is now industry standard. So, beware they are out to get these fees sooner rather than later. My loan was with another lender and subsequently sold to Union Bank, so their little $30 fee has now alerted me to not work with Union Bank. If I could give a ZERO instead of a ONE I would do it! Bye Bye Union Bank!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

What is with Union Bank. I paid their loan off in full, mailed a certified check on September 11th for $14,092.64. On September 25 I sent a letter to Union Bank after I received another statement not showing the loan was paid off. I called and after the customer service rep did some checking he informed me I accidentally mailed the bottom copy of the check not the actual check. It would seem you would call your customer right away. Union Bank received the copy of certified check on or around September 13th - yet no calls or letters. Clearly Union Bank could see the loan had been paid off in full. In my letter dated September 25th I informed them I am not responsible for any additional money to their bank, clearly it was a communication error on their part.

Today October 26, 2019 1 month after I sent the letter I get a statement stating I still owe $237.60. Really they had a month to contact me either via mail or phone call to address this, but did not. This is bad business ethics from my view point, had been a customer a long time. When I got informed I accidentally sent the bottom portion of check I immediately mailed the actual check the next day. What will be next month - I have lost faith in this company. A phone call from them back in early September could have avoided this mess and STRESS for me.

Union Bank Company Information