1.19/5
Based on 113 reviews that contain star ratings

Union Bank of California

114 Union Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 8, 2019

I opened two separate bank accounts on the same day, one with Union bank and another with a different bank. Unbeknownst to me that this could cause an issue with Union Bank. Two weeks later I tried to log in to my account and could not log into the account. So, I called the 800#, the customer service lady said in a condescending manner that the accounts needs to be close due to opening multiple bank accounts. What is wrong with having multiple banks. Although this could be my fault since I open two accounts in separate banks on the same day, learned my lesson on that, but the way Union Bank handle this matter was unprofessional and demeaning.

Think twice If you are considering doing business with Union Bank. I closed my accounts and got my money ASAP. Good riddance Union Bank. There are much better banks out there with much better customer service relations. I know one specifically but I can't mention it, but do your research you will find this bank. This other bank has great customer service relations, they even have coffee and cookie in the lobby and you are greeted with a smile and they even remember everyone's name.

My Union Bank experience was terrible and degrading. Hopefully you get a different more pleasant treatment than I received. But no matter, if you are okay with being treated as a second rate customer then by all means check out Union Banks. But if you want to be treated as a valuable customer since after all you are putting your hard earned money in a bank that you should the very least get treated with respect then go find another bank to do business with, not Union Bank.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Union Bank bought my mortgage from another lender and I've had nothing but trouble from the beginning. I couldn't sign up for online banking because whoever inputted my data on my account listed my birthdate incorrectly. Even though it was their mistake, I had to physically go into a local branch, show my ID and prove that their data entry person is a moron. Got it corrected and STILL can't sign up for online banking. The customer service people (who are extremely rude) have no idea what's wrong and they've given up. I've been sending my mortgage payment by check, which they regularly lose, but last month decided to put in my escrow account instead of my mortgage account, which resulted in a late fee and calls from their collection agent for missed payment. Jesus H! The incompetence is staggering. I've been so stressed out by this experience that I'm wondering if there's a lawsuit in here somewhere for pain and suffering.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I recently was informed via mail that our corporate checking account had an electronic draft returned for $34.89 two weeks after the fact. When we called to inquire as it was an electronic payment we had performed we were told the fraud department recognized it as such, without contacting us to confirm, and restricted the account. They said that our account had been compromised and to go to the local branch to close it. We did.

What we didn't know is that they took upon themselves to put a stop payment on a range of checks unbeknownst to us until after the fact. As a result several checks were returned for non-payment with penalties and return fees accrued. They sent out a letter stating that we had reported "a loss of checks and/or personal identification" as the reason for the stop payment, which was not the case. We were informed that because of this wording we would not be able to get fees and penalties waived when dealing with the payees. The Union Bank data breach suddenly became our financial responsibility even though we knew nothing of it and they took it upon themselves to put stop payments on a range of checks without our authorization and delayed notification! Still trying to get them to issue a true statement of facts. Without it we incurred a 60% penalty and return check fee from the state of California!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My Mother has been a loyal customer of Union Bank for the past 75 years. They put her credit card on credit hold due to a mix up between bank accounts. That was understandable. What was not understandable was that we cleared her balance of $10,000 and even though they showed it paid in full and off credit hold they declined all use of it regardless.

After multiple and I mean like six or eight call where they insisted my mother be on the line (she’s turning 104 shortly) they told me that it will take two weeks before they clear her deposits so she cannot use her card for two weeks! This after 75 years of being a sizable customer in both the commercial and private banking division. Needless to say blood pressures were going through the roof and I’m planning to terminate the relationship my mother has with Union Bank as soon as possible. My suggestion, there are many other banks who will treat you so much better and with much more personalized service.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

We called customer service to inquire a CD promotion they have for 18 months of which will be expiring that same day. We were told to call the branch near us to discussed with branch manager as it is to their discretion to override it if it is not open that same day and to go the next day at the branch. We called the branch in Roseville, CA in Douglas Blvd. We spoke to the banker Travis and he stated to come in and it can be done. I came in first 45 minutes before closing and waited to be service while I'm waiting for my husband to come. Travis was helping someone and finally he was able to assist me.

My husband came and we sat down and discussed with him our interest on their promotion. I asked him about their stipulation of early withdrawal. He stated it is 6 months prepayment penalty from the principal if closed or early withdrawal is made. We were not sure if that is something we would like to do. We advised him losing 6 months of interest from the interest we are ok but from the principal is not something we would be interested. He also mention the rate might changed by January 2019 to higher or lower base on the market rate. So we stated we are ok on their stipulation however if the rate changed to higher rate that if they can move the funds to a better rate and not like we are withdrawing the funds but just changing the rate without prepayment penalty. He stated it can't be done so we are ok with that at least we tried asking.

I have few cashier's check under my name and he had a manager look at it and he stated it is ok to deposit it since as a third party since my husband is the one only on the CD account. He was not able to open the account the same day since he need more time to that day and we were asked to come back the next day to just make a deposit since he already had my husband signed the signature card. He also mentioned he will be at a different branch location the next day and will call me or text me and that his manager West will be able to assist us. I did not get a call or text so I call the branch. Lydia answered the call and stated she has been a banker for 11 years and they are not able to accept a third party check.

So I went to my bank, tried to make a payee changed but they were not able to so I deposit the cashier check to my husband's account since he has the account with them yesterday. I called Travis back and stated we will come by the next day since there are no time left for the day and he said yes and will have his manager West take care of it. Today comes and my husband received a call from Union Bank Roseville branch and spoke to Lydia. She spoke to Lydia. She stated Travis is off today and that they are not able to move forward with what was promised to us. My husband called West and stated he was sorry that last minute changes was made on their interest and that the promotion had expired and nothing they can do about it.

We informed him that the promotion had already expired on Friday the day we came in but yet they put us through a lot of footwork and troubles of me depositing my check to my husband's account instead of me just keeping it on my name. We don't have an account with Union Bank yet we already going through a bad service and untrustworthy kind of employee who tells you something they can keep. They dishonor a promised they can't commit to. They should have told us from the beginning they can't honor the rate anymore. They have poor customer service and no wonder their reviews are low. So I went to my local branch and they are able to match rate for the same term and less stipulation on prepayment penalty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Union Bank of California?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have been a Union Bank of California customer for 20 years. Recently online payments I have made have not reached my Payees. These are payments that Union Bank mails out. I understand that mail can get lost or whatever but when the payment does not get there, I have to make the payment a different way so now the funds have been taken out of my account twice. I have called Union Bank. Stopped payment on the check that did not get to my payee so you would think Union Bank would put the money back in my account right? WRONG!!!

They have this screwed up policy that you now have to file a claim and wait a minimum of 10 "business days" while they decide if they are going to give your money back for the payment they failed to make! And it can actually take up to 45 days if they decide they want to. I am currently dealing with this situation for the third time in the last 6 months, and I am going to change banks. The new bank will have to have a different policy regarding checks mailed by the bank that don't get to the payee.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Opened saving account and checking account. Didn't know about 6 times rule for saving. Apparently you can't move your own money more than 6 times a month. If you do that, you get charge for $15, for every additional transaction after 6th time. Well it happened that I called on my birthday, hello, hello. So naive, thinking since it happened first time, they may do courtesy credit for $15. Well other banks do that, but not Union. Also I had very unpleasant conversation with supervisor and later another representative. It sounds like they just enjoying pushing people.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I moved to CO from CA and needed to close my account since they do not have locations here. They kept charging me service fees for not depositing monthly into the account but I did not want to do that since Union Bank has no ATMS in CO. I called and spoke on the phone for an hour and they basically said they would not waive the $15 cashier's check fee. Tracy, the rep said, "If you were still a customer I could waive the fee but I can't since you're closing the account." I asked the supervisor why they can't waive it now since the whole reason I'm closing the account is because of service fees and she just kept responding, "We cannot waive the fees."

I asked about three times if there was an alternate solution that wouldn't cost me money and got no acknowledgment. Finally, I asked again if I could transfer and what was to stop me from using Venmo and they said I could transfer each of the account balances individually to an external account (Chase) but it would take 5 days to process and that I would have to call back again to cancel once the account has a $0 balance.

Union Bank is horrible with their constant service fees. Their Customer Service reps do not know what they are talking about. Most of the questions I asked Tracy were answered with, "I'm not sure." When I finally asked the supervisor why as a customer they could waive the cashier's check fees but not when I am closing the account she hung up on me! I couldn't call back because it was two minutes past closing time. I am very, VERY unhappy. I have been a Union Bank customer since 2003... 15 years! Never again will I bank with them or give them my business.

Resolution response: Sept. 27, 2018

It was not a fraud. Just a delay in posting that caused confusion.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I recently detected a fraud on my credit card with Union Bank. They said that I used the bank promotion check of $10,000.00. I never received the credit card nor the check. I reported to the bank and the case is under investigation. I'm really scared with this credit card issued by this bank. I would have closed any credit card account with this bank!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Went through over 2 months submitting docs for a refi and then paid $500 app fee. Their appraiser came in about 30% under market value, what a shady dude, they then refused to do loan after assuring me with my perfect credit etc, that everything looked great. So they took my $500 app fee and sent me on my way with nothing except I was $500 poorer. I cannot believe they get away with their shady behavior. Dont waste your time with this bank!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

So, I began the day with 13,000 in my checking account. I went to the teller to deposit a large check into my savings account. I was told the check would clear after the hold, which is no problem for me. The next day I attempted to use my ATM card at the gas station and it was declined. "Insufficient funds" it said. I checked my account details on the website and found that my checking account was overdrafted by $11,000. There were no debits to the account. What the heck?

So I call customer service. That person tried to rationalize why my account would be in the red after depositing a check. I found that explanation nothing short of insane. They said they would check on it. Five hours later I called the branch... Someone again tried to rationalize why my checking account would be overdrafted by 11,000 after I made a deposit. Duh? I'm not in the finance industry, but I know that if you have a positive balance on your account and then deposit a check, you don't end up with a negative balance. I was being told that the account wasn't actually overdrawn... although there was a hold on my accounts and I couldn't use my debit card at all. What?

After 3 increasingly assertive calls to the bank on my part, my checking account now shows the $13,000 I had before this mess. Communication, responsiveness, accuracy of information, timeliness were all poor. By the way, I was also told that the banking staff had been busy helping other customers. Right. I find it frightening that a bank can make such an obvious error and yet attempt to explain it away as if it's not an error. Gonna close my accounts and go elsewhere. I don't recommend this bank for its errors and poor customer service.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I have been a customer of Union Bank for about 26 years. My parents set me up with a junior savings account when I was about 9 years old, and now, at 35, I am still a loyal customer of Union Bank. Though there are some things that I was not particularly happy about - like when my free checking account suddenly required fees after years of free, or an issue with overdraft fees due to uninitiated purchases or transfers - I have found that Union Bank has had no difficulty pleasing me as a customer.

I recently had my card info lifted - TWICE IN A MONTH - and Union Bank had no problem getting me a new card and returned the money for the fraudulent charges. (Also, just use cash for purchases, especially at gas stations. I believe that the info got taken at a particular gas station, EVEN THOUGH I made the purchase inside the building... and that was with a brand new card.) Whenever I've had to call Union Bank for any reason, the staff have always been courteous and - with the odd one out - competent. I trust that for the foreseeable future, I will be able to enjoy many more years as a customer of theirs, and hopefully in a greater capacity.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

After 30 years of paying me interest of approximately 20c per year on my 3 savings and checking accounts, I got tired of the lack of service and terrible returns, and tried to close 3 my accounts. Wow did they make it hard - first when I called they said I couldn't close them over the phone (later they said this wasn't true and they had "no record" of my call). I sent a letter to the address they told me, and then after another 2 weeks I called to find they had "no record" of any letter (amazing how they never lost any of my deposits over all those years), just my request to close my accounts.

Finally they said they would close the accounts, and I should wait "3-5 business days" for my check. It didn't arrive, though they did promptly send me statements saying my account balances were zero. Finally they sent the money, making sure to split it into 3 SEPARATE checks so they could charge me $10 per check. Never never never never going back. My new local bank in Maine is incomparably better.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I do everything in my life, business and personal by the law. I went in to get a cashier's check and was refused on my own money. They were pretty horrible. They blocked the account and stopped a wire coming in from Switzerland. I wrote a letter to request the money returned when they scared one of my clients. He later put the money into another account after the money was returned. REALLY UNION BANK OR ANY BANK THAT PLAYS WITH FINANCIAL LIFE.

My finance manager said after a few weeks of delay take the bank to court. The office of the president was called and I said, "I have no control over what my manager requests. These are our investors and clients you are scaring." I received a check finally in a few days. Fortunately the wire from Switzerland went into another account. It's sad when a mention of court is needed to receive what is right. My finance manager said any bank that does this should be forced to pay interest, damages and fines. I don't recommend this bank for money services.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I carefully counted $45,355 cash with a Union Bank teller: carefully and slowly, $1000 at a time. I would count it first, he second and sometimes a third time. It was tedious. Each thousand we would count the piles of thousands together again and again and again. We agreed thousand by thousand he had wrote down each new total w/pencil on paper which I saw behind the glass and agreed to. We finished, got to the end and suddenly, without asking my permission, he took ALL my cash 30 yards away across the room to the cash counting machine he had used for each little pile, walking back and forth. Shocked was I when he came back after taking ALL my cash, with NO monitor and said in a strange tone of voice there is $43,355. $2000 vanished.

I asked to see the video of our mutual counting session. They said it would take "days" to get it. I asked to see the manager, Jerry **, who gave me his card and has never ever ever returned ONE of my phone calls since the day of the theft. I made a Police Report. The policeman who took my report seemed genuinely concerned but no follow up. I've called their customer service number many many times. Left voicemails. NO Replies. What can I do? Who should I turn to. Let's see that video and zoom in on the tedious careful count we made and the LIST the teller made of each addition to the total.

It's in Japantown in San Francisco with an ALL Asian Staff. Their way of handling this is just to freeze me out with no replies to my complaints. I am not a Union Bank customer. My brother is who lives in Southern California and had begged me to lend him this money which is why I was there. I took all my cash and took it to his bank to deposit to his count which I did do but only after the teller stole $2000 cash from me without retribution or restitution. Advice on any next steps?

Original review: May 16, 2018

I received the mail from Union Bank with the Union Bank Rewards Visa credit card with the offer of 0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 18 months, I applied it and got the card. I was trying to see the card member agreement in the online login account to review my offers but I couldn't find. I called the customer service on 14th May, they said that I have no 0% APR for purchases.

Again on 15th May I called the credit card department in the day time, same answer that I don't have any 0% APR and the bad thing is the credit card service lady transferred back my call to the customer service, very bad service from the Union Bank and just now I called back again the customer service, and also tried to find the paper card member agreement, I found it and saw that the APR was 25.49% interest. I have never seen such an untruthful organization. I am done with this bank. and I will never forget the situation that this bank put me in. They should understand that with such a bad service to the customer, they are already a dead player in the banking business.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Epitome of incompetency and abysmal follow-up. Only one card was ever sent out for a joint account (usually that means more than one person on the account!). I requested the other card in the other name. Five months passed without one ever being mailed. I went into a Union Bank branch (in Big Bear, Ca) and requested this card. Union Bank mailed a duplicate card with the same name as the one and only we had (Morons). I then went into the home branch in Carlsbad and requested this a second time in the correct name. Five weeks passed, no card mailed.

I went in again, complained and requested this once again, in the correct name to a representative and the branch manager, Kenny **. I was told one would be Fedex'ed the next day, or Friday. Friday and Saturday came and went without delivery. Six months to try to get the second account holder card without any help or follow-up after numerous requests, and one incorrect card mailed. Abysmal. This bank also is not accredited or participate in ConsumerAffairs accreditation - read the abysmal reviews there.

Original review: April 14, 2018

This company is a piece of ** company. This company has horrible employees. I had a acct with them. I was on marternity leave & I didn't get direct deposits anymore so they charged me fees for not having direct deposit. I close the acct in December of 2017 over the phone because I just had a baby in November & couldn't walk or anything so I told the agent on the phone I moved and she said ok & they'll send my check. I didn't receive in February of 2018. I go & tell the branch that I opened the acct with my problem & they do their stupid ** investigation again then they send a form for me to sign & notarized with my own money.

I get that squared away. I take it to the closest branch from where I live. The manager starts dealing with it. She calls tells me she needs my Ssn and dob. I immediately hang up. It's April. I go into the branch again to check on the money. She is telling me she needs the image of the original check. Still nothing after 2 hours of being there. After all of that they continuously say that they have to do some more research. Mind you I'm a mother of 4 without a job & this piece of ** company can care less. It's not their problem they have a job so I highly recommend to not do any type of business with this company. They have no type of empathy for their clients & I hate this company.

Original review: April 5, 2018

One of the most lacking bank accounts I have had in Arizona, and I have opened over 15 checking accounts within 2 years. Limited service hours. No chat service. Not possible for my inbox to send secure messages. According to them that option is available, but that was never fixed for me. Not everything is available to do via secure message. Took them 3 months to mail me a debit card. Online website to download signature card was not working even when I used multiple browsers and they didn't fix it for me. Customer service told me that the sign up promotion would be extended for me since it took the debit card so long to ship but last representative denied it. Closing my account via phone would cost me $10.

Original review: April 1, 2018

This is the 3rd time I am rejected at a store. Yet I should have money in the account. I am a government employee so when I deposit they give me a cash as much as I want against to that check and make the funds available the next day. I did deposit my check on Friday. Went to Costco. They told me I need to call my bank. I did; so called "supervisor" said there is no deposit to the account. I should go to bank first thing on Monday morning the branch will find out... so far even it is STUPID I WOULD ACCEPT IT. Then I asked so I am in Costco now and rejected. I have been your long time customer. You are not going to do anything??? She said, "There is nothing I can do" (THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR A LONG TIME CUSTOMER WITH EXCELLENT RECORD). The next day is Easter. I left the cart with full of groceries. I will leave it up to you.

Original review: March 31, 2018

When we moved from the state of California, it no longer made sense to have our accounts at Union Bank. It's taken at least eight months and several calls just to close a checking and savings account, plus the cash reserve accounts linked to them. I had to transfer money out electronically because they wouldn't just close the accounts and cut me a check for the balance (without a fee) -- which delayed the process. And I had to try to time it just right before service charges kicked in, because if the balance was at $0 and they charged a service charge, I'd be overdrawn and my cash reserve would kick in, creating more of a mess. I really do think the bank is shady because there's just no way that this many agents could screw up something as simple as closing an account.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Union Bank needs to up their technology. Their ATMs are horrible. My husband has recently started a self employed business so we do not have regular paychecks deposited into our Union account. Luckily I opened our business account with a different bank. I kept my Union account because all of my autopays are set up and I do not want them all coming from our business account. I regularly have to make deposits from our business account to our Union account. Because I work 8-6, I normally deposit into an ATM. Their ATM many times doesn't work. And the technology is so antiquated. Apparently, because I am depositing so many personal checks (they don't admit it but they think I am floating money I guess) they will place a hold on the deposit, but the ATM doesn't tell you that. And you cannot figure out for how many days unless you call! No info on the receipt or online.

Then, they will somehow decide which of your payments they will honor and which they will return. I know they have my money because I can see it cleared my business account. They pretty much hold my money hostage! Ridiculous, they have my money and are returning my payments?!? The phone support hour are very limited, you can't reach someone until 7, what if you have an emergency and need help in the middle of the night? And other than telling you how long the hold is, the phone support can do nothing saying it is because of overdrafted items, they overdrafted because you put my deposit on hold for an unknown amount of time!

Then phone support tells you to call your local branch. So I have to take time off of work to contact my local branch and ask if they can remove the hold - I am ready to bite the bullet and open a new account at a different bank. Sure it will be a pain to change all my automatic payments, but in the long run it will be worth it.

The ATMs at the bank who has my business account are so nice, you can choose to have a receipt e-mailed, and it tells you exactly when the funds will be available. The customer service phone support are available whenever I have needed them, and they are very helpful.

Original review: March 17, 2018

WORST EXPERIENCE: Linda and Denise at Dallas center totally messed up the deactivation of a debit card for business. They deactivated my personal card instead of business and I became cardless for the time being. To correct their mistake and reactivate the card Linda wanted to know all information from me, but still could not get the card reactivated and suggested me to go to nearest branch on a Saturday evening or stay cardless until Monday. Suggestion: please change the bank for better customer care or rely totally on online banking.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have checking account with Union Bank. Customer service is really bad in branch and over the phone. Union Bank have a lot of regulations are not good for customer at all. And always they have extra charge.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Union Bank bought my home loan 4 months ago. It has been nothing but a nightmare dealing with this institution. Setting up auto pay should be pretty basic. After numerous conversations about their error with inputting my routing number correctly, I keep getting late payment notices from the debt collector. Each month I give them my routing and account number to fix the error. So far, it has been 4 months of exactly the same conversation as the month before. Very frustrating.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I informed a banker in the San Diego branch on B St. in San Diego about a death of an account holder. I was informed that I would have to wait 45 days, and after such time I would need to produce a death certificate. Long story short after a 60 day wait period I reached out to the bank to follow up and was informed by another banker that the funds would not be released. When I inquired why, I was told, "That's the response our legal team gave us." When I asked if I could speak with someone in that department the ambivalence was apparent. I was informed that an advocacy team member would be reaching out, and somebody from the president office would be calling... Well I'm still waiting.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Working with Union Bank on a Jumbo Loan Home purchase, it's been nothing but a mess from the beginning, let's see if we even get to the end - loan has yet to close. We are past the agreed closing date, they haven't even being mindful of our closing date/timeframe and keep having odd conditions that comes up last minute that should of been address earlier on. It's been nothing but frustration and a roller coaster. The way they are conducting their business they should consider getting out of lending practice. Slow response and turn around times has been their model there, so if you want a smooth and painless loan process stay far away from Union Bank!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

On 10-3-17 at 7:16 a.m., I made a $450.00 cash deposit to my primary checking account at my Camarillo branch ATM. After going through the process, slipping the cash into the machine so it can count, verify and complete the deposit, the machine stalled out and never completed the deposit. Instead it gave me a receipt stating that a hardware failure occurred and then the ATM reflected that it could no longer process transactions. Great I thought, my cash is in there and I am receiving no credit for the deposit.

I immediately called Union Bank via the number on the receipt and a woman explained to me to wait until today's transactions process for it will likely clear itself up. I asked at what time does that take place and she informed me at midnight. I said I am not waiting until midnight to find out if you are going to credit my account or not. She then stated to call my branch when they open at 9:00 a.m. which I did. To my surprise, the branch representative stated that there is nothing they can do and I would have to call (the same number as before) and file a claim which I did. The UB rep who took my information made sure I understood that it could take up to 10 days for this to be resolved. I explained to her I had a car payment due to process that same day and I placed the cash in to ensure it was covered.

Now I am no rocket scientist, however it appears to me logically that if the ATM machine is down, they would find my cash still sitting there and after reconciling they would also find that it has an extra $450.00 that is not accounted for. Come on UB, get your act together, promptly take care of your customers for this is not a difficult exercise to clear up! Simply math, accounting and common sense will tell you that your machine took my money, did not credit my account, and that should be that. I spoke with a UB rep today and they stated they were still researching. Researching what?? Going to move my account to CBC Federal Credit Union. Bye bye Union Bank. Feel bad for the person who has this happen to them next.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

My mother passed away (2015) and she had a safe deposit box at Vista Way, Oceanside Branch. I was awarded by the Utah courts to be the administrator of her estate. My attorney couldn't get a response from Union Bank regarding the procedures needed to empty the box and close that service. I called and spoke with a representative at that branch. I gave her my mother's information pertaining to the box and that I have the key. I also explained my dilemma (living out of state), and that my attorney couldn't get a response from their office. I asked what did I need to do, to get the contents and close out that service. She stated I would have to email her the court documents, death certificate, and safe deposit box number any other pertinent information. I told her my attorney will send the court documents.

Ten minutes later, I received a call from her, stating she spoke to her manager and I would have to contact the legal department in order to get access and close out. I call the number she gave me and spoke to the legal representative. I was told promptly, the information I was given was wrong. She told me to call the branch back and state this was not legal matter, since I had court documents. I did. I called back and spoke to the manager, she stated the legal department was wrong. I told her, I could give her the number and she could call them. She declined saying, "Well, I would probably get a different answer." I asked her what was needed, since I live out of state. She said I would have to come in (physically) with the court documents, ID, box number and We can go from there. I asked what I thought was an reasonable question,is the box still there?"

Before I spent $$$ on a plane ticket, I wanted to know if I physically came in will the box and its contents be there, since 2 years have passed. She stated "I can't tell you that over the phone, because I don't know who you are..." Okay, I asked "What if you receive the court documents via email?" as previous requested by her associate. She stated the answer was still NO, because how was she to know the documents were real? I asked, "Well if I endure the law Spenser's of flying down, getting a hotel, car, etc... I would like to know once there, am told the box was closed and the contents were sent to the state." Still she said NO. I then asked for the policy on safe deposit box. She stated, "I can't guarantee if we followed this", but if the box has been inactive for three years, the box would be drilled the contents sent to the state. Huuummmm?

Please do not do business with this bank. Lack of training, at the management level is appalling. There is NO Customer service, there is no proactive approach exhibited by this branch manager. Just a TOO bad for you attitude. Not even a "Sorry to hear of your mother, our customer's passing"... I am so glad My mother had the mind to move her IRA, savings and checking to another bank before she passed. Too bad she forgot about the box. Don't do business at UNION BANK, Vista Way, Calf.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Overall this is a great bank to deal with online and in person. I have been with the other "big" ones and Union Bank is willing to treat you as a person not a number and will help you find a solution to a problem, even if they didn't cause it. I am now older and having more problems with electronic banking than I used to and they are helping me find other solutions rather than being critical of me.

Union Bank Company Information