3.2/5 (93 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Union Bank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Union Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Union Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Union Bank?

Original review: April 22, 2022

This is more than likely the worst banking experience I have ever had. My account was placed on “freeze” because of potential fraudulent activity being done to my account. I call the department and I am immediately treated like some criminal. They did not act like they wanted to help me. They acted as if I was the criminal or commuting fraud on my own account. They froze the account and now I have to speak to some investigation department with ZERO access to my funds. When this is resolved I will be closing this bank indefinitely. Customer service!! Yea right, they treat people like garbage. I’ll be going back to Wells Fargo

Original review: April 13, 2022

My wife and I had credit cards, checking and saving accounts with Union Bank for years. After my wife passed away in 2018 the bank's services got worse. The branch and telephone service (800) didn't communicate and all with each other and they made a couple of large errors. So, I decided to cancel all accounts and credit cards. I confirmed with the branch and telephone representatives that nothing was owed either way and everything was closed. Months later I found out my wife still had an open account with 13 dollars in it and my credit card was still open and had a delinquent $39.00 charge on it, plus penalties. When I asked to talk to manager I was always disconnected. I tried to pay but the bank wanted twice as much in late fees. I finally just gave up. Let them ding my credit. Lesson learned. Please don't use this bank. They are terrible and blame you for their incompetence.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I have banked with Union Bank for over 20 years. Not anymore! My checking account was compromised. They wired a great sum of money to a person across the country without checking with me first. I have never wired money before. When I realized this was happening I tried to get ahold of the fraud department and was put on hold for at least 45 min. When I finally reached a representative they were rude and could not of helped any less. Meanwhile the money was wired and immediately taken from my account. If you want a bank that only deals with fraud from 9-5 Union Bank is highly recommended. I was told they would deal with this matter promptly. I never heard from them again. I had to continually call and email.

No response was usually the response. When they said they would call back they didn’t. When they said they would contact me via email they didn’t. Today I was told it was my fault and that the bank wasn’t going to reimburse me with fraud protection. I am currently looking at my legal options as well as literally picketing Infront of my ex-local office on my days off. They took my entire savings and left me and my family with 300.00 dollars in my account. I was told to go close the account and get new debit cards for the 300 dollars I had left. That was six weeks ago. The debit cards never came. They left my family with nothing. They are flat out horrible! I cannot stress enough do not bank with them you will be sorry!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

A long-time user of both Union Bank and Mitsubishi, and as a resident of Japan, I wish to move my Union Bank funds into my Mitsubishi Japan account (MUFJ). The MUFJ logo would suggest that, at the very least, Union Bank and Mitsubishi are attached at the hip. Nonetheless, Union Bank and/or MUFJ is not allowing me to move Union Bank funds (at any yen rate) into my Japan-based Mitsubishi account. I have spoken with several individuals on the UB side, and I have heard everything from "use a credit card to transfer funds", to "If you have any questions, please call us at...." I've called and called. It isn't my responsibility to see that those funds are transferred to my selected account. Nonetheless, I have been advised to fill out and submit this form or that, and have done so, but nothing has changed. I can't transfer the UB funds into my Mitsubish account.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

Union Bank offered the best fixed rate of the 5 banks I had spoken to with reasonable closing costs but a lower than 3 star rating. What I found was a Processor working from home who was grossly unqualified and totally preoccupied with home issues that directly affected his ability to properly, accurately and timely process our Refi. His supporting Staff, BC Law Firm and Landel Title companies never seemed to have the information they needed and fell far short of providing accurate support.

The entire process was an exercise in futility by having to deal with gross mismanagement and in one major instance a failure to distribute funds in accordance with the timelines contractually signed and notarized documents then later calling and asking for information again that had been provided weeks earlier. This entire Union Bank Mortgage team is one of if not the worse we have ever dealt with in our many, many years of buying and Refinancing. I did not think any lender could be as bad as the one I had. I was wrong. Avoid these people.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

Recently opened up a checking account with Union Bank. Tried online banking first week I opened my account and it was smooth. A month later I try to log in and requested a code be sent to my phone- IT TOOK THEM 5 MINUTED TO TEXT THE CODE AND MY ACCOUNT WAS LOCKED! It is the weekend, have to pay a bill asap, no customer service, no phone or online info on how to unlock, unable to contact anyone online CAUSE I CAN'T LOG ON TO MY ACCOUNT! Really? Spend some money on being tech-centric. What a joke, no service, no online tutorials. Big F for FAILURE.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Just got off of the phone with the fraud department at Union Bank due to multiple charges that were made on the other side of the country. $2000 plus of charges that was made to be exact. Initially the representative in fraud that contacted me was polite and indicated that they noticed purchases that are out of the norm for me. I reviewed these and definitely was not in NY taking Uber, requiring Uber delivery eats, or dining in multiple restaurants. What alerted them was the fact that I made purchases at the same time from my location across the country. Fast forward and multiple rude fraud representatives.

It was determined that my purchases were accurate because the merchant provided a receipt therefore I must have purchased this. The fraud representative "Phil" indicated that the bank has done everything and made multiple attempts to correct this with me in pursuit of resolving the problem. I indicated that I have been the one calling weekly to fix this and continuously get rude people aside for the one who alerted me and that I have also not received a letter or call from their department since the first reported day.

His indication is that it was found that I am abusing the bank system by purchasing items and then claiming they are not mine. I requested proof of this and also indicated that I would like documentation of their review. He stated that I was rude, I was making accusations of them being fraudulent, and that me being upset was upsetting him and he will hang up if I make comments like, "what am I supposed to do now?", "what else is there to prevent this from happening?", "why aren't you guys taking this seriously in regards to a small business who is already suffering due to Covid and being ripped off?".

His reaction was, "Sir, your attitude will get you dropped from this call." He finished by asking, "Do you use a debit card for gas or other purchases?" I indicated yes just like millions of people throughout the world. His literal quote is as follows, "Well everyone knows that you can get hacked from a debit card so you should have seen this coming." My response back was asking, "What are they going to do about this crime and my money." His final comment was, Nothing, they have done everything they can. I have been a Union Bank supporter for years and trusted my small business to them. Now that they are moving on to USBank at the end of this year they are already showing their dismissal of customer support and allowing fraud to happen. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I used to bank with Union Bank of California. They are the worst bank to do business with. They sequence checks to get more overdraft fees from the account holders. We are responsible for our accounts but Union Bank was sued for this practice. They have a culture of rude and unhelpful employees at every location I have entered. I left Union Bank for US Bank and have been much happier since. Basically Union Bank of California sucks!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Whatever business you do with this bank, I highly suggest you don’t get a mortgage loan unless you want to close late which was what happened to me. I also had to buy my rate after assuring I wasn’t. My calls/e mails are ignored with zero transparency.

Original review: June 11, 2021

We have banked with Union Bank of California since Great American Savings went bankrupt in 1991. So we were reluctant to consider leaving; however, the recent experience with their third-rate, disinterested customer service gave us the impetus. This is a long, tedious and frustrating tale. We had been doing a recurring mortgage payment through our Online Banking at UBOC. About 8 months ago, I had to make a one-time change to the recurring payment. The following month I readjusted the payment to what it should have been. I didn't notice that the system didn't register it; as a result, our mortgage payment was almost late. I happened to notice on the last day and called Customer Service. They seemed confounded and, after several phone calls and in-person meetings, offered no help.

As we were considering doing a refi, I started paying manually and thought they would figure it out. The refi finally went through in early May and our first payment is now coming due in July. I added the new Payee and tried to start the series -- it didn't work. I called Customer Service and spent a bit more than an hour on the phone. Supposedly they created a ticket for their IT department to fix the problem. This was 3 days ago. I didn't hear back from anyone and the Recurring Payment still didn't work. I spent 4 phone calls, totaling almost 2 hours more, with Customer Service.

I found out that (1) no one had even looked at my problem; (2) that UBOC doesn't call the customer to notify of any problems or fixes; (3) that when you go to the branch to get help from the Genesee Branch Manager, she is too busy with her meetings to pay any attention to a long-time customer. At least according to the flippant young teller who couldn't have cared less and showed it. So --- goodbye Union Bank of California and good riddance. Hello Navy Federal. They seem to actually care about their customers.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Union Bank Company Information