Union Bank
1.16/5
Based on 100 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Union Bank of California

101 Union Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 31, 2018

I do everything in my life, business and personal by the law. I went in to get a cashier's check and was refused on my own money. They were pretty horrible. They blocked the account and stopped a wire coming in from Switzerland. I wrote a letter to request the money returned when they scared one of my clients. He later put the money into another account after the money was returned. REALLY UNION BANK OR ANY BANK THAT PLAYS WITH FINANCIAL LIFE.

My finance manager said after a few weeks of delay take the bank to court. The office of the president was called and I said, "I have no control over what my manager requests. These are our investors and clients you are scaring." I received a check finally in a few days. Fortunately the wire from Switzerland went into another account. It's sad when a mention of court is needed to receive what is right. My finance manager said any bank that does this should be forced to pay interest, damages and fines. I don't recommend this bank for money services.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I carefully counted $45,355 cash with a Union Bank teller: carefully and slowly, $1000 at a time. I would count it first, he second and sometimes a third time. It was tedious. Each thousand we would count the piles of thousands together again and again and again. We agreed thousand by thousand he had wrote down each new total w/pencil on paper which I saw behind the glass and agreed to. We finished, got to the end and suddenly, without asking my permission, he took ALL my cash 30 yards away across the room to the cash counting machine he had used for each little pile, walking back and forth. Shocked was I when he came back after taking ALL my cash, with NO monitor and said in a strange tone of voice there is $43,355. $2000 vanished.

I asked to see the video of our mutual counting session. They said it would take "days" to get it. I asked to see the manager, Jerry **, who gave me his card and has never ever ever returned ONE of my phone calls since the day of the theft. I made a Police Report. The policeman who took my report seemed genuinely concerned but no follow up. I've called their customer service number many many times. Left voicemails. NO Replies. What can I do? Who should I turn to. Let's see that video and zoom in on the tedious careful count we made and the LIST the teller made of each addition to the total.

It's in Japantown in San Francisco with an ALL Asian Staff. Their way of handling this is just to freeze me out with no replies to my complaints. I am not a Union Bank customer. My brother is who lives in Southern California and had begged me to lend him this money which is why I was there. I took all my cash and took it to his bank to deposit to his count which I did do but only after the teller stole $2000 cash from me without retribution or restitution. Advice on any next steps?

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I received the mail from Union Bank with the Union Bank Rewards Visa credit card with the offer of 0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 18 months, I applied it and got the card. I was trying to see the card member agreement in the online login account to review my offers but I couldn't find. I called the customer service on 14th May, they said that I have no 0% APR for purchases.

Again on 15th May I called the credit card department in the day time, same answer that I don't have any 0% APR and the bad thing is the credit card service lady transferred back my call to the customer service, very bad service from the Union Bank and just now I called back again the customer service, and also tried to find the paper card member agreement, I found it and saw that the APR was 25.49% interest. I have never seen such an untruthful organization. I am done with this bank. and I will never forget the situation that this bank put me in. They should understand that with such a bad service to the customer, they are already a dead player in the banking business.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Epitome of incompetency and abysmal follow-up. Only one card was ever sent out for a joint account (usually that means more than one person on the account!). I requested the other card in the other name. Five months passed without one ever being mailed. I went into a Union Bank branch (in Big Bear, Ca) and requested this card. Union Bank mailed a duplicate card with the same name as the one and only we had (Morons). I then went into the home branch in Carlsbad and requested this a second time in the correct name. Five weeks passed, no card mailed.

I went in again, complained and requested this once again, in the correct name to a representative and the branch manager, Kenny **. I was told one would be Fedex'ed the next day, or Friday. Friday and Saturday came and went without delivery. Six months to try to get the second account holder card without any help or follow-up after numerous requests, and one incorrect card mailed. Abysmal. This bank also is not accredited or participate in ConsumerAffairs accreditation - read the abysmal reviews there.

Original review: April 14, 2018

This company is a piece of ** company. This company has horrible employees. I had a acct with them. I was on marternity leave & I didn't get direct deposits anymore so they charged me fees for not having direct deposit. I close the acct in December of 2017 over the phone because I just had a baby in November & couldn't walk or anything so I told the agent on the phone I moved and she said ok & they'll send my check. I didn't receive in February of 2018. I go & tell the branch that I opened the acct with my problem & they do their stupid ** investigation again then they send a form for me to sign & notarized with my own money.

I get that squared away. I take it to the closest branch from where I live. The manager starts dealing with it. She calls tells me she needs my Ssn and dob. I immediately hang up. It's April. I go into the branch again to check on the money. She is telling me she needs the image of the original check. Still nothing after 2 hours of being there. After all of that they continuously say that they have to do some more research. Mind you I'm a mother of 4 without a job & this piece of ** company can care less. It's not their problem they have a job so I highly recommend to not do any type of business with this company. They have no type of empathy for their clients & I hate this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Union Bank of California?

Original review: April 5, 2018

One of the most lacking bank accounts I have had in Arizona, and I have opened over 15 checking accounts within 2 years. Limited service hours. No chat service. Not possible for my inbox to send secure messages. According to them that option is available, but that was never fixed for me. Not everything is available to do via secure message. Took them 3 months to mail me a debit card. Online website to download signature card was not working even when I used multiple browsers and they didn't fix it for me. Customer service told me that the sign up promotion would be extended for me since it took the debit card so long to ship but last representative denied it. Closing my account via phone would cost me $10.

Original review: April 1, 2018

This is the 3rd time I am rejected at a store. Yet I should have money in the account. I am a government employee so when I deposit they give me a cash as much as I want against to that check and make the funds available the next day. I did deposit my check on Friday. Went to Costco. They told me I need to call my bank. I did; so called "supervisor" said there is no deposit to the account. I should go to bank first thing on Monday morning the branch will find out... so far even it is STUPID I WOULD ACCEPT IT. Then I asked so I am in Costco now and rejected. I have been your long time customer. You are not going to do anything??? She said, "There is nothing I can do" (THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR A LONG TIME CUSTOMER WITH EXCELLENT RECORD). The next day is Easter. I left the cart with full of groceries. I will leave it up to you.

Original review: March 31, 2018

When we moved from the state of California, it no longer made sense to have our accounts at Union Bank. It's taken at least eight months and several calls just to close a checking and savings account, plus the cash reserve accounts linked to them. I had to transfer money out electronically because they wouldn't just close the accounts and cut me a check for the balance (without a fee) -- which delayed the process. And I had to try to time it just right before service charges kicked in, because if the balance was at $0 and they charged a service charge, I'd be overdrawn and my cash reserve would kick in, creating more of a mess. I really do think the bank is shady because there's just no way that this many agents could screw up something as simple as closing an account.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Union Bank needs to up their technology. Their ATMs are horrible. My husband has recently started a self employed business so we do not have regular paychecks deposited into our Union account. Luckily I opened our business account with a different bank. I kept my Union account because all of my autopays are set up and I do not want them all coming from our business account. I regularly have to make deposits from our business account to our Union account. Because I work 8-6, I normally deposit into an ATM. Their ATM many times doesn't work. And the technology is so antiquated. Apparently, because I am depositing so many personal checks (they don't admit it but they think I am floating money I guess) they will place a hold on the deposit, but the ATM doesn't tell you that. And you cannot figure out for how many days unless you call! No info on the receipt or online.

Then, they will somehow decide which of your payments they will honor and which they will return. I know they have my money because I can see it cleared my business account. They pretty much hold my money hostage! Ridiculous, they have my money and are returning my payments?!? The phone support hour are very limited, you can't reach someone until 7, what if you have an emergency and need help in the middle of the night? And other than telling you how long the hold is, the phone support can do nothing saying it is because of overdrafted items, they overdrafted because you put my deposit on hold for an unknown amount of time!

Then phone support tells you to call your local branch. So I have to take time off of work to contact my local branch and ask if they can remove the hold - I am ready to bite the bullet and open a new account at a different bank. Sure it will be a pain to change all my automatic payments, but in the long run it will be worth it.

The ATMs at the bank who has my business account are so nice, you can choose to have a receipt e-mailed, and it tells you exactly when the funds will be available. The customer service phone support are available whenever I have needed them, and they are very helpful.

Original review: March 17, 2018

WORST EXPERIENCE: Linda and Denise at Dallas center totally messed up the deactivation of a debit card for business. They deactivated my personal card instead of business and I became cardless for the time being. To correct their mistake and reactivate the card Linda wanted to know all information from me, but still could not get the card reactivated and suggested me to go to nearest branch on a Saturday evening or stay cardless until Monday. Suggestion: please change the bank for better customer care or rely totally on online banking.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have checking account with Union Bank. Customer service is really bad in branch and over the phone. Union Bank have a lot of regulations are not good for customer at all. And always they have extra charge.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Union Bank bought my home loan 4 months ago. It has been nothing but a nightmare dealing with this institution. Setting up auto pay should be pretty basic. After numerous conversations about their error with inputting my routing number correctly, I keep getting late payment notices from the debt collector. Each month I give them my routing and account number to fix the error. So far, it has been 4 months of exactly the same conversation as the month before. Very frustrating.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I informed a banker in the San Diego branch on B St. in San Diego about a death of an account holder. I was informed that I would have to wait 45 days, and after such time I would need to produce a death certificate. Long story short after a 60 day wait period I reached out to the bank to follow up and was informed by another banker that the funds would not be released. When I inquired why, I was told, "That's the response our legal team gave us." When I asked if I could speak with someone in that department the ambivalence was apparent. I was informed that an advocacy team member would be reaching out, and somebody from the president office would be calling... Well I'm still waiting.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Working with Union Bank on a Jumbo Loan Home purchase, it's been nothing but a mess from the beginning, let's see if we even get to the end - loan has yet to close. We are past the agreed closing date, they haven't even being mindful of our closing date/timeframe and keep having odd conditions that comes up last minute that should of been address earlier on. It's been nothing but frustration and a roller coaster. The way they are conducting their business they should consider getting out of lending practice. Slow response and turn around times has been their model there, so if you want a smooth and painless loan process stay far away from Union Bank!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

On 10-3-17 at 7:16 a.m., I made a $450.00 cash deposit to my primary checking account at my Camarillo branch ATM. After going through the process, slipping the cash into the machine so it can count, verify and complete the deposit, the machine stalled out and never completed the deposit. Instead it gave me a receipt stating that a hardware failure occurred and then the ATM reflected that it could no longer process transactions. Great I thought, my cash is in there and I am receiving no credit for the deposit.

I immediately called Union Bank via the number on the receipt and a woman explained to me to wait until today's transactions process for it will likely clear itself up. I asked at what time does that take place and she informed me at midnight. I said I am not waiting until midnight to find out if you are going to credit my account or not. She then stated to call my branch when they open at 9:00 a.m. which I did. To my surprise, the branch representative stated that there is nothing they can do and I would have to call (the same number as before) and file a claim which I did. The UB rep who took my information made sure I understood that it could take up to 10 days for this to be resolved. I explained to her I had a car payment due to process that same day and I placed the cash in to ensure it was covered.

Now I am no rocket scientist, however it appears to me logically that if the ATM machine is down, they would find my cash still sitting there and after reconciling they would also find that it has an extra $450.00 that is not accounted for. Come on UB, get your act together, promptly take care of your customers for this is not a difficult exercise to clear up! Simply math, accounting and common sense will tell you that your machine took my money, did not credit my account, and that should be that. I spoke with a UB rep today and they stated they were still researching. Researching what?? Going to move my account to CBC Federal Credit Union. Bye bye Union Bank. Feel bad for the person who has this happen to them next.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

My mother passed away (2015) and she had a safe deposit box at Vista Way, Oceanside Branch. I was awarded by the Utah courts to be the administrator of her estate. My attorney couldn't get a response from Union Bank regarding the procedures needed to empty the box and close that service. I called and spoke with a representative at that branch. I gave her my mother's information pertaining to the box and that I have the key. I also explained my dilemma (living out of state), and that my attorney couldn't get a response from their office. I asked what did I need to do, to get the contents and close out that service. She stated I would have to email her the court documents, death certificate, and safe deposit box number any other pertinent information. I told her my attorney will send the court documents.

Ten minutes later, I received a call from her, stating she spoke to her manager and I would have to contact the legal department in order to get access and close out. I call the number she gave me and spoke to the legal representative. I was told promptly, the information I was given was wrong. She told me to call the branch back and state this was not legal matter, since I had court documents. I did. I called back and spoke to the manager, she stated the legal department was wrong. I told her, I could give her the number and she could call them. She declined saying, "Well, I would probably get a different answer." I asked her what was needed, since I live out of state. She said I would have to come in (physically) with the court documents, ID, box number and We can go from there. I asked what I thought was an reasonable question,is the box still there?"

Before I spent $$$ on a plane ticket, I wanted to know if I physically came in will the box and its contents be there, since 2 years have passed. She stated "I can't tell you that over the phone, because I don't know who you are..." Okay, I asked "What if you receive the court documents via email?" as previous requested by her associate. She stated the answer was still NO, because how was she to know the documents were real? I asked, "Well if I endure the law Spenser's of flying down, getting a hotel, car, etc... I would like to know once there, am told the box was closed and the contents were sent to the state." Still she said NO. I then asked for the policy on safe deposit box. She stated, "I can't guarantee if we followed this", but if the box has been inactive for three years, the box would be drilled the contents sent to the state. Huuummmm?

Please do not do business with this bank. Lack of training, at the management level is appalling. There is NO Customer service, there is no proactive approach exhibited by this branch manager. Just a TOO bad for you attitude. Not even a "Sorry to hear of your mother, our customer's passing"... I am so glad My mother had the mind to move her IRA, savings and checking to another bank before she passed. Too bad she forgot about the box. Don't do business at UNION BANK, Vista Way, Calf.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Overall this is a great bank to deal with online and in person. I have been with the other "big" ones and Union Bank is willing to treat you as a person not a number and will help you find a solution to a problem, even if they didn't cause it. I am now older and having more problems with electronic banking than I used to and they are helping me find other solutions rather than being critical of me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Ever since the transfer business from Synchrony's credit cards to Union Bank of California's credit cards and other name changing related issues, there are so many problems even their bank tellers admitted. Here is what happened with me for the last 4 months, I used their automated phone payment every month on time and for example if the machine said to pay the minimum amount due of $35 press 1, to make other amount press 2, and if I chose 1, everything seems done smoothly and it gave me a confirmation number.

Until next month you will find out they issued a late fee for paying under minimum requirement and double the minimum payment this time. I called them to see what has happened with all my 3 credit cards just like that. They explained the minimum payment was $35.20 and the machine won't say 20 cents, so I supposed to know and pay $36 or more to prevent penalty! I'm thinking if I and other people didn't notice and didn't call them to "beg" them to correct it, they will keep charging like that. Especially when we trust them with their online statement without checking or thought that was our mistake for a late payment.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Burying your money in your backyard is a better option than Union Bank. Do not sign up to this bank! Seriously, they are the absolute worst bank. A few months ago someone in Indonesia stole money out of my account and after going back and forth with them and explaining how I couldn't possibly have taken a flight to Indonesia and returned in one day, they finally saw the error of their thinking.

Anyway, fast forward to today when they force closed my account and are asking me to pop into a branch (when I'm currently living abroad by the way) to get my money. For some odd reason, they decided that, even though I've been banking with them for roughly 6 years and my pay goes to them every month, I'm now doing something fraudulent with my pennies (and I mean pennies) because I didn't let them know that I was going to Gibraltar and Spain for 3 days. Seriously, just stay away from them. They should go out of business. Join the resistance.

Original review: June 13, 2017

On June 12, 2017 I went to the Drive-Up ATM City of Industry Branch to deposit a check, the ATM ate my card! I had to sit there from 7 am to 9 am to make sure nobody used the ATM because who knows what would have happened to their card or mine. At 9 am I talked to the man unlocking the doors, he could have been the manager. I explained what happened, he couldn't have cared less! He never even said "sorry about that". His ONLY concern was where I parked, and to not block the broken ATM from the 0 customers trying to use it. He found my card and gave it back, and with a smirk on his silly face said, "You're Welcome"... And I hadn't said a word. You don't usually come in contact with a silly doofus of a manager of a bank, this moron has no business dealing with the public. As a long time customer, disabled senior citizen, and a veteran, I was taunted and treated with disrespect by this fool and don't appreciate it one bit!

Original review: June 8, 2017

Let me just start out by saying I am the type that would never open an account with ConsumerAffairs unless I thought it were vitally important. I was a customer for over a decade and this bank and this is what I have to say. Words have a hard time describing my experiences with this bank but I will try my best. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS! NO! JUST NO! NO! SAY "NO" TO Union BANK!

They are using banking practices from the 60's and never evolved into the modern era. Their ATMs suck in cards for no reason and malfunction. They have insane fees and absolutely no service to justify them. They have no 24/hr support. Did I mention their monthly services fees are even higher than close relatives like CitiBank? Yes all banks suck but this bank is the absolute worst. This bank is an lesson in screwing people over. Come here if you want to learn how to treat your customers like the scum of the earth.

Specific examples to back up what I am saying. I put on a travel notice online and over the phone. I went overseas and was completely cut off anyways. They did not email notify me, only over the telephone and of course you don't have reception in Japan. I had to use several very difficult and time consuming Western Union transactions when I was over there. It was incredibly scary and nerve wracking. Words cannot describe how it feels to be in a country completely cut off from all assistance. I suppose it's something similar to how US diplomats felt in Benghazi.

This scumbag bank. This is where I learned about the complete LACK OF SUPPORT!!! They do not operate on a 24 hr time zone. They operate in Neanderthal time. Or something like that. Coming back from this I visited the main headquarters in Los Angeles (The main grand cheese of them all). All they offered in compensation (Of course they gave me a hard time about getting it in the first place.) was a mere couple hundred dollars to cover Western Union fees after hundreds of hours of suffering and a very nerve wracking experience that still gives me nightmares to do this day. They owe me a couple thousand more than likely still.

They will overdraft you on accident and then they will count it against you when you try to get a credit card from them or try and cash a mobile check. Even if it was their fault, they will count it against you. Did I mention it's almost impossible to get the credit card? Bank tenure doesn't count and you need perfect credit.

They do not have instant verification for PayPal and Venmo like Citibank does. If you want to set up a bank account it will take a week initially. Maybe longer. It's like back to future. Welcome to the 80's. Might as well toss out your smartphone and use payphones if you want to use this bank.

Their support team is bunch of ** people from various parts of the USA. At least that's better than speaking to an Indian person who barely speaks English but these people tend to be very **. Even the ** people sound like they are trailer trash. I suppose that's the kind of people Union Bank likes to hire. I feel like I am at an Unemployment office. Super unprofessional.

TLDR; Because.... I know you probably won't read any of my horror stories and if the fee schedule and waiving requirements meet your needs you will just go with them anyways. ** Consumer Affairs right? All I can say is that I wish I had looked at the ratings on Consumer Affairs before I opened an account with this ** bank. Sadly it wasn't around back then...

1) Treat every single support agent like a criminal. Because they are or were. Record all conversations, get names, and ID numbers. They will try and tell you they don't have ID #s. Remember everything is a lie to not do more work. THEY ARE EXTREMELY LAZY. You need to make sure you act like a micro manager. With this bank you volunteer your services. You have no choice. 2) Do not rely on this bank to travel. 3) Get a credit union. All banks suck. I'm with Citibank for now and it's better. But know one thing. This bank is worse than ever other single one in the continental United States. WORST. BANK. EVER. PERIOD! BYE UNION BANK FOREVER!!! YOU STOLE TEN YEARS OF MY LIFE!

Original review: May 1, 2017

I have been a customer of Union Bank for about 6 years now. Their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced! Save yourself some time and do not attempt to call their customer service number for checking accounts or online banking, but if you happen to call be prepared to be placed on hold or mute without notice, also be ready for wasting your time because they can never help you with anything! You usually have to drive to a branch to get your problems solved, and my nearest branch is about 30 minutes away. I stopped using my checking account many years ago because of how inconvenient their online services are.

Their app is usually down and does not seem to be given maintenance at all. We have our mortgage through them and that's the only reason we still have the account, but I would not recommend this bank if you are planning on using them for checking or savings accounts. Union Bank is a huge disappointment when it comes to customer service.

Original review: April 6, 2017

My experience with the Union Bank is very, very, very dissatisfied because first of all they are scam and second is they are identity theft because they had closed my account without letting me know and putting this in my credit so that way I do not open another bank account with any other bank. That is so stupid. So I am telling you to take this off from my name because I do not want to be responsible for nothing. I did not do and it was the banker fault and the Union Bank so I have zero tolerance with them as well because this is the real reason I had opened a personal checking account like 2 weeks ago and I had made sure that it was ordered to be a joint account but the banker was very terrible, stupid and piece of **. Excuse my language.

So she wanted to be ** stupid and did not understand what I said so she did not put my husband as a joint account. So instead she wanted to blame it on the customer and messing up my credit to the point where they will leave that on your credit and stay on your name as a blacklist. You can't make it no one and one time they will not only closed your account and just leave it alone so it stays on your name and the customer service representative has poor quality and almost like they do not know what they are talking about and they will have me being hold for more than a 1 hours almost 2 hours and also they will not call you right away. After 4 hours then they will barely reach you and say some dumb reason... so I advise and from my experience banking with Union Bank is the worse.

Not only one they will get you for identity theft and two the Union Bank will also closed your account and blame it on the customer like what happened with my situation and act like it is our fault and blame it on the customer for the mistake that the banker has made and excuses. I am so mad because my husband had deposit some of his deposit into my bank account and I had specifically they would blame it on the customer and make it seem like we are the one with the issue when it is the banker. It is their fault because like I told you I did not even get my debit card so it is so ridiculous why the Union Bank is blaming it on the customer so I advise anyone who wants to bank with Union Bank I would not advise to bank with them. They are identity theft and scam.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I have had Union Bank since about 2010, and as a basic account it was fine, even though they kept closing branches and now I have to go 61 miles just to do my business with a PERSON. Why don't I do it online you ask? Because my clients pay me for my landscaping by paper check. They're old fashioned, and I think they have the right to be that way. And even if I could bridge that gap, the online banking system is HORRIBLE and I have been burned enough times to finally call it quits.

When I went through Union Bank for my mortgage is when things got really messy. At first, there was a constant problem with the balance - they would show the money as deducted, with a current balance. Clear, right? NOPE. Customer service tried to explain that they actually just set aside the funds, which are not REALLY deducted until the other end cashes it out... so the 'current balance' would always reflect more than (I would soon find out) I had. I talked to customer service which just talked in circles with no real answers, and then I went to the physical bank itself. The staff there were nice, and tried to be helpful, but they don't seem to have the knowledge (or authorization) for the online component.

After about an hour, I decided to open a separate account just for the mortgage, and have an automatic transfer into it monthly so as to not encounter the close call again. I explained how they would somehow conveniently hold these funds (at times for over a week with a STILL inaccurate 'current balance') until they would all go through at the same time and bankrupt the account. I was met with a "Oh weird, sorry."

THAT seemed to work for almost a year. I do outdoor work, so I'm cash-full in the spring, summer, and fall, but the winter is when I'm living off my money from the year. I also have a small Etsy business to supplement my income. I keep an eye on my balances, and even have alerts/texts set up for Union Bank. Yesterday, I got a notification that my checking account was low. I signed on to see that the transfer from my checking to my mortgage account had gone through as scheduled. No problem. Seeing as I had more than enough in the mortgage account, I transferred some of it back to checking. It showed online, and it showed proper balances for all my accounts (checking, savings, and mortgage). Whew.

The next morning I'm having my coffee, and I get another notification saying that my checking is at 0.00. I am immediately back on the phone with customer service, which gives me the run-around. Again. There is at least 300$ floating in between accounts, and I can't get a straight answer. I have screenshots. This is crazy making. And let me repeat: I'VE RESORTED TO TAKING SCREENSHOTS EVERY TIME I USE UNION BANK'S ONLINE BANKING.

I'm fairly good with money and computers, but I am human... and I was willing to chalk it up to user error and miscalculation... but NOT this many times. NOT with proof. This money isn't going to break me, but I can't deal with Union Bank any longer. I know I have the option of taking it upon myself to use a separate PAPER ledger (oh yeah, my bank doesn't even give me checks and a ledger book- all debit card) that I could keep up on myself, and I intend to start doing that, BUT, I feel that online banking should be accurate, cut and dry, and easy to navigate. Union Bank's online banking is just a murky maze of smoke and mirrors in my opinion. I'm very unhappy and switching to a new bank.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I opened a personal checking account with Union Bank last 2016 or late 2015. I actually forgot the exact date and a few months after I opened another business checking because I am starting up a new retail online business and I opened it in a branch not online. Early 2017 this February I went to Los Cabos and I am aware that my business checking account was overdrawn by $300 something and they have been charging me fees of 33$. God knows how long or was it every day or every other day and I'm planning to put it back in positive account when I get back to California.

But when I accessed my account Feb. 14 in Los Cabos Union Bank closed my business checking and they took my money from my personal checking of $300 something also to cover the overdrawn funds in my business account even though I didn't signed up an overdraft protection to get money from my other accounts and I even called their customer service which is by the way the most UNRELIABLE AND INCOMPETENT service you can ever get. I was transferred to a supervisor and 3 of them went dropped calls on me and neither one of them had the courtesy to call me back. Unbelievable! So that was the part of my business checking account.

And then worst issue came when I got back in California only to find out that they also closed my personal checking and when I called customer service again and I was put on hold for a good 30 mins or so because the agent said they couldn't find any reason why it was closed so they said they will just give me a call back once they get an answer to why they close it. I called Feb. 16 around 10am and got a call back around 2pm of the same day and when I asked the agent what was the reason she said that because they found out that I opened another account in the same year which is I'm not supposed to!!! Really? I don't get it! I've been using that business checking account for almost a year and now you're on purchase I made in Mexico and because of what they did they are going to ruin everything.

Union Bank couldn't even give me a valid reason why they close my account and why they took money without my permission. I think that's why they close my account because they don't wanna be blame for anything anymore. My complaint will not end here and I'll make sure that this issue will be addressed the proper way. Telling me that I'm not suppose to open another account? And that your policy indicates that you can only open a year after you opened your first account? Are you guys trying to make excuses of the mess that you made? So you guys decided to just close it so I couldn't complain about it anymore? And I have a pending debit for a vacation.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Union Bank is the worst bank to bank with. Their customer service hotline is horrible. The worker are unprofessional. This company is unprofessional. They make mistakes and blame it on the customer. The overdraft fee is ridiculous!!! Don't bank with this bank. They're a scam and they don't care about their customers. I been banking with this company for almost 4 years and they still show no loyalty. If I could rate this bank with a 0 I would give them a -100000000. They're horrible stay away from this bank! And the customer service workers don't speak English so don't waste your time calling and if they do speak it they're very rude.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I have had an account with Union Bank now for over a year, I have had problem after problem with them. This will now be the 4th time that my card or account has been locked out or referred to their fraud department. Like others on this review panel I am not alone with this treatment it seems. I don't understand why a bank feels it's "OK" to lock up someone's card or account because they use a merchant for the first time. (I can't choose where to shop now?)

This is by far the most ridiculous thing I have heard in my life. They claim this constant inconvenience is for my security but really it is only an excuse to create inconvenience and invade people's privacy. During my last round with them they were going to question me for "identity purposes" about personal information not related to my account. I'm sure that is against the law. Serious... This was even after I entered my pin number in their system for identity verification. This bank treats their customers like they are criminals, continue this sort of treatment and this bank won't be too big to fail.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Ever tried to close a demand deposit account with Union Bank? Here is what happens: "We don't have the money. You must pay a fee to close the account. You must pay another fee because your balance fell below $300. It will affect your credit report." Atrocious or extortion?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

I've opened an accounts with Union Bank few months ago expecting good products and services. What the surprised that l regret about being dealing with them, they're sucks! Never phone customer service 24 hours just normal business hours (if you have any issue with your debit card at night just forget it). They block your cards supposedly for secure proposes and wait till next business days to get unlock. Have to wait long time waiting for customer service in the phone. You get overdraft fee even if you requested not to process any transaction without money in the account (debit card)... They told me that checks and online transactions will apply overdraft fee whether or not there's money is your account.

Small bank that need more convenience locations, improve products & services (such as send money to other countries). They have only wire transaction which is very expensive. I was planning to make business with this company but after overall l will step out... No wonder many big companies are suspending and closing their accounts with this bank like interstate hotels & resorts (and this is only few matters without counting another issues).

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

What a headache. It is obvious Union Bank is not ready to take their visa card business in-house. I have activated my cards and I have been declined twice. I have tried calling the customer service number on the back of the card, and sit on hold for over 45 minutes now two times and can not get help. All they want you to do is use the internet to access your account. I don't bank online and I don't have secure internet and WILL NOT bring up my private information on the internet. UNION BANK, I hope you read this and you have personally disrupted my life in taking care of what business I need to tend to using the VISA card and well as the embarrassment of making purchases and being declined. You need to get your act together and get customer service representatives on the phone "LIVE" and help out those you have inconvenienced. Definitely looking for another credit card to do my business. We can't seem to depend on YOU!

Union Bank Company Information

Union Bank of California
www.unionbank.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business