Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

US Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Bank?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

This out of control bank is deceptive. There are plenty of watch dogs and consumer agencies willing to litigate cases against this integrity void business should you have the misfortune to be abused by them. Stay away. You will find fine mortgage loans, car loans and banking services from other local banks and credit unions. A true monster but not a gentle one. Stay away.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Don't imagine you can travel with a US Bank debt card. I just spent hours on the phone trying to get them to let me use my card on a trip. Seriously, 7 phone calls over a couple days and over and over they would tell me that they had cleared the block -- but then it would never work. They finally pretty much admitted that whatever fraud protection block their system was putting up, they couldn't override it. Same thing happened to me last year, but I gave up after a couple calls, thinking it was a problem with the card -- but when I got home, it worked just fine.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I opened checking and savings accounts at US Bank February 1, 2021. It proved to be a harrowing experience. ** was the personal banker who opened my account. She proved to be a busybody. While she was entering my information, I returned a call and Iris was listening to my conversation. Later, after we were done, I told her that it was my understanding that I would get $225.00 immediately. ** told I would not get any money out of my deposit until 5 business days later. I explained that I had given my last $5.00 to a homeless man at the bus terminal and only had $1.75 left. I asked her to please loan me 50 cents. She told me no. It turned out that ** the branch manager told ** that in fact, I did get my $225.00 so that solved that problem.

I had the account exactly one week and then was informed by customer service that there was a restriction on it and to call the branch where I had opened it which was on Randall Road in Elgin, IL. ** had been the one to put the restriction on my account. She pretended she didn't know what was going on and would investigate and call me back. 3 hours later, she called me and told me that based on what she heard me tell my dentist's office while I was on the phone in front of her desk, she was closing the account. Over the next couple of days, people at the 800 number in customer service at US Bank tried to help me, but ** had fixed me good. My account was scheduled to be closed.

Over the next couple of days, horror ensued. I called the branch on Randall. The phone rang and rang and no one answered. Finally, I got ** who didn't want to be bothered. She was another personal banker. She was rude, smug and arrogant. She hung up on me after talking over me. Later, I talked to ** , a teller. While we talking, she ran an adding machine in the background which was exceedingly rude. Later, ** left me a voicemail asking me to call her. When I returned her phone call, she told me that the account was indeed closed and that a cashier's check was being sent UPS Overnight.

I called the Randall Road branch at 4:00 that day to confirm the cashier's check was being sent UPS Overnight. The teller ** answered. She began interrupting me as soon as she heard my voice. I asked her to let me finish and she informed me that she would interrupt as much as she pleased because I was a deadbeat. Then she hung up on me. I have had experiences with banks in the past, but this is my all time WORST. Do yourself a big favor - don't open an account at US Bank unless it's at another branch but definitely not the branch at 815 Randall Road in Elgin.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

My experience with US Bank on 2/01/2021 at 12:17PM at their toll free number--1 800-285-8585. For starters, I was on this call for 51 minutes. I did speak to Customer service Reps at intermittent times, but most of the time was dead air and a recording saying they had a higher than normal amount of calls. Even in this health crises, spending almost an hour on the phone is unacceptable.

My reason for the call was I was having an issue accessing my credit card account online. I wanted to pay my bill online directly through US Bank. I bank with several other banks and I was using another bank's bill pay service to pay online for my US Bank credit card. Somehow, the bill pay was late and I was charged a $39.00 late fee. My call was to help me to log into my US Bank credit card account and put in my other bank's info that I could essentially pay them directly, with no chance of ever being late. When I had attempted to log in, an error code popped up telling me that I needed a PIN number which I didn't have. My goal was to have them reset my log in info that I could begin managing my own account. I have an almost 800 credit score and this was my effort to ensure that I manage my credit in a timely manner.

I ended speaking to three Reps within that 51 minutes with the last one being the most rude and unprofessional online Rep I've spoken to in a while. Her name was Kanesha and I asked her during her loud outburst if the line was recorded. She said yes and calmed down but her rudeness and angry tone was unbelievable and intolerable. The first two Reps were OK as far as customer service was concerned, but not overly polite or enthusiastic about helping me solve a simple issue. At the end of the call, my issue still hadn't been resolved. I went online to find an email address so that I could report Kanesha's bad attitude and unprofessionalism. There was no "contact us" email address on the US Bank website. It's 2021 and for a major US bank to no have an email address is absolutely incredible.

Well, US Bank, this review was written on the exact same day of the phone call I made to your online customer service so you can access the recorded line and listen to the exchange. I doubt I will hear back from them and correct this employee's bad behavior. If they do, I will update this review. Until then, my suggestion is to stay clear of their online customer service number. Many others have reported similar unprofessional employees at their online number. With no way to get in touch with anyone such as their online Supervisors, they probably believe that they can get away with it and not face any consequences.

Update. At around 2 PM, I searched for a US Bank customer service email via my cell phone. I found a feedback tab (not really a customer service email link) that I used to briefly describe my encounter. The reason I said it's not really a customer service email was because they said that they could not respond back to all correspondence. That was confusing and convinced me that it was only minor feedback such as insignificant service issues and not the issue that I encountered.

And after much additional searching, I found that link again, and forwarded most of this review. As stated earlier, that feedback review states that they won't be able to get back in touch with everyone. In all fairness, employees at my local US Bank are great. They are some of the most pleasant and professional bankers around. This review is specifically about the online Customer service reps and their weak, uncaring and sometimes unprofessional attitudes.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

When I opened my checking account with US Bank in December 2012, I was told that if I accepted a US Bank Credit Card, my monthly fees would be waived. I accepted the proposal, and cancelled my other bank cards. Now, eight years later, I received a letter telling me that because my card has been inactive, it was being cancelled. The trouble is, that I was never warned my card was in danger of being closed. My current credit score is 803 out of a possible 850, and the closure of this card is going to wreak havoc with my score, and result in my fees being added to my checking account.

I called the bank, and spent over 90 minutes trying to work out the problem. The customer service representative basically told me that they should have sent me a warning, but their normal procedures were messed up by the Covid pandemic. I asked to speak to a supervisor who basically said "tough luck." I spoke to the supervisor's supervisor, who also said "tough luck" in so many words. The only way I might get them to reconsider would be to write a handwritten letter and send them my financial details (they know what my monthly income is... my checks are deposited directly) and other personal information that I don't want to put in writing.

I have never been treated so poorly or with such disrespect by any financial institution. I plan to move my accounts and cancel all my business with US Bank after the first of the month. I would urge anyone who is considering doing business with US Bank to rethink their decision and find a reputable, consumer friendly bank instead.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Leased a Chrysler 300S AWD in Sept. 2017 for 39 month/49000. The sales rep. suggested I purchase an extended warranty to cover the vehicle after the manufacturer (36 month/36000) warranty expired so I did MOPAR maximum care for $381. Upon returning the vehicle, I found out the warranty was basically useless. US BANK has AUTOVIN do vehicle check in and pricing estimates for repairs. I was completely surprised to see a charge of $965 for a door replacement on my AUTOVIN report, I called and got the original report and photos.

I was astonished to see a chip smaller than a fingernail tip is the reason for DOOR replacement charges. This 'PLASTIC' trim piece is on the top edge between the window and the steel door... I can buy this part OEM for $73 and I watched a Youtube video of it being replaced in less than 8 minutes. So how in the world did they come up with $965 for this??? 863% markup is price gouging to the fullest extent and US BANK is fine with this. My overall experience= POOR from all. NOT buying/leasing a Chrysler (or any FCA) cars again; This was my 4th and last purchase from LaFontaine Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and RAM in Fenton, Michigan; I will never use US BANK for any of my financial needs.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Pros: The bankers I work with are very pleasant, professional and knowledgeable. Cons; The online bill pay was very easy to use until this week. They have "upgraded" the look and function and it will be the end of our 20+ year of our relationship if they do not fix it quickly. Putting in a change like this with no warning or explanation is extremely frustrating. I no longer feel like I am a valued customer. This past year they were not prepared to help their business customer obtain PPP loans, so I had to go elsewhere. They cut their bank hours so I had to adjust my schedule. Where the other banks I use did not change their hours. But bottom line I really liked their bill pay so I stayed. I will give them a few months to fine tune it but I will start looking for another bank for my main personal and business accounts.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I'm on unemployment and was receiving my funds via Reliacard by US Bank. I ended up moving from Dallas TX to Irving TX in Dallas county. Next thing I know my card is frozen for fraud alert due to an address change!!! I get a text from this bank that has no branches in Texas, saying I need to verify my identity through the banking app. I open said app and they want a picture of my DL and face. It says lay the license down on a black background and then send a photo using your phone's camera.

I lay my license on a black jacket and proceeded to snap a picture but it only allowed the selfie camera to work!??? So I hold in my hand and do my best to snap the shot but it won't focus and keeps saying "blurry". I have a Samsung Note 9, so it's not the ph6, it's obviously malicious coding on the banking end to steal people's unemployment funds!!! I then called and they gave me the runaround and said to fax it!!! I'm like, it's 2020, wth is a fax? Plus they request the fax be set at 200% and something about the lighting!!! WTH is this??? I called back and they hung up on me!!! I have been frozen out of my funds now going on 3 months.

I checked the BBB and filed a complaint that gets shot down!!?? The BBB is a scam too! They have them rated A+ with over 1000+ similar consumer complaints that are also unresolved. The US Bank answer to my complaint was that they wouldn't discuss the matter publicly but instead would mail me something which never arrived. I'm in contact with a lawyer who has dealt with them before to get my money.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I switched to US Bank because we have a local branch in our small rural town. That was a huge mistake. I've never had a bank that would charge overdraft fees at rate of $36 for less than a $5 charge. I've literally paid almost $400 in overdraft fees in one month because of the snowball effect because of scheduled payments that I was not able to reset after the first of the fees sucked up my money.

Being on unemployment I tried to reach out to the Covid hotline they advertise saying they'll help with accounts such as mine. They removed 1 fee, which left me $29 for week to get by on because of the total 5 overdrafts. They again allowed a transaction to go thru that, was a scheduled $9 and hit me with two more $36 fees. I also noticed they do debits on the account at midnight but my weekly direct deposit isn't credited to my account until 3 am. I feel like I'm drowning in midst of pandemic & no help from a multi-billion dollar bank. I will be closing my account as soon as I can get fees paid. I also suggest anyone else dealing with this issue to contact their state representative. I understand issues of people overdrafting accounts on purpose but there has to be a way to be able to eat throughout the week instead of paying $250+ a week to a bank for fees on less than $50 in transactions.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

US Bank's systems & processes are the most archaic of any institution I've ever banked with. They have tons of processes in place to ostensibly protect you, the consumer, but providing verification to get through those processes requires jumping through hoop after hoop. On top of that their portals for bank, mortgage, & credit card are all disconnected and often down or outright buggy preventing login in the first place. This bank is decades behind other large banks when it comes to online accessibility and ease of use, stay away unless you enjoy spending time waiting in long lines at physical branches to get anything done.

US Bank Company Information