Royal Bank of Canada

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

So in a hurry (I have 4 kids) I missed the bank. So I deposited 2 cheques into the ATM. They were for small amounts ($210 & $105). The next day I went to sign into my mobile app and it wouldn't let me so I called customer service. I sat on hold for 20 min and then transferred 3 times. Then I was told that my account has been restricted and they can't tell me a reason why I have to go into a branch. So, I headed to the closest branch. I asked for the branch manager because I was upset and wanted answers. He said my account has been temporarily suspended by the fraud department. He called them on the phone, spoke to them for about 2 min and then hung up. He looked at me and said "You deposited cheques into the ATM until they clear your account is suspended. You will have to come back to the branch in 7 days and we will see what we can do."

Um, excuse me? Why? He said there is nothing they can do and there is no way for me to contact the fraud department. I told him I have many payments coming out and bills to pay. He said I have no answers for you, you'll have to wait 7 days. This is disgusting and absurd! My account is being suspended because I deposited 2 cheques. Horrible, horrible bank. I will be closing this account as soon as or if this gets resolved.

0 star if I could. I don't understand how this bank gets away hiking Visa rates from 11.99% to 19.99% in 1 month to teach me a lesson for being late once on my minimum payment (false - never even happened). After 30 years with this bank I'm ready to move on. A bitter disappointment. I had a mortgage, student loan, and other accounts that are all paid off. Now I will surely close my business account and move on. This bank is in the toilet. Stay away. They lack ethics and don't care about long-time customers. THIS BANK is what's wrong with this world. RBC is a hooligan institution. Ask yourself, when is the last time you made any money banking with these guys? Is that even a concept anymore? Monthly fees are outrages and always outweigh what you make back on any interest. Customer service is a joke. My kids can read better off of a transcript better than these monkeys. Better to keep your money in the dirt..

Went to RBC branch in Mississauga trying to get a small line of credit, around $5,000. I have a mortgage with RBC with $300,000 in our home equity, above average household income, good credit, plus $115,000 sitting in my bank account. The "Financial Advisor" was condescending, basically making it seem like it is unlikely that RBC would even approve of the small LOC. Spent an hour in her office and left feeling humiliated like I never have before. The last straw was when she suggested to increase the chance of obtaining this small LOC I needed to deposit $5,000 of my own money and lock it as a GIC at RBC... um. What?! RBC opened up a credit card for me a few months ago without me even wanting it with no issue at all, the second I needed a small LOC all of the sudden became a huge issue.

She wasn't even nice about it and when I wrote her an e-mail to express my dissatisfaction, she simply ignored my e-mail. Extremely unprofessional, and when I asked to speak to a branch manager she said nobody was available to help me out. I have since then closed all accounts and credit cards with RBC due to this horrible experience. Don't tell me I am a "high risk customer" when you are simply trying to scam me into putting money into a GIC. Nope, won't fall for it.

I have been banking with RBC for 17 plus years. Today called Visa call center. Spoke to GREG at Mountain. He was rude and wouldn't even get me a supervisor. I will cancel all my business with RBC as they don't know anything about customer care, does not even deserve one star.

Disappointed in the customer service of RBC. "Mortgage Specialists" have a huge attitude towards middle income families and make you feel like they are doing you a favor by applying for a mortgage. My recommendation would be, find a different bank to deal with in the future. Change your bank before you need to apply for a mortgage here. Having equity, good size down payment, and average to good credit scores will not be enough for these superior beings. Look at credit unions as they seem to be the real future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?

The bank employee made a mistake which costed me $11,000. I complained to the bank, they investigated and came back to me with a story of all lies. The bank employee lied to avoid taking responsibility. I informed them it is all lies and they should review phone call records, they informed me that they don't record phone calls at the branch. Although whenever we call RBC it always says at the beginning this call will be recorded. Simply the bank steal our money thinking we are venerable. We now spending time looking for a lawyer to start a court proceeding. Avoid this bank at all costs. Very terrible experience.

RBC has become an extremely frustrating bank to deal with. I have been a customer of RBC for over 40 years and a very satisfied customer until the last two year but have decided to switch banks after numerous issues with the bank over the last two years. The latest one being unable to get a refund on my safety deposit box after cancelling it. Three trips to the bank with no refund or phone as promised in each occasion.

Just had a very disappointing experience at the Royal Bank’s Glendale Avenue location in St. Catharines, ON and also the RBC's online accessibility feedback form. I’ll start with the issue I encountered at the branch. There is no obvious provision within the branch for you to wait in line if a disability prevents you from standing for a long period of time. There is no signage to indicate what you should do and there is seldom, if ever, a teller at the wicket where you can be served in a seated position. Even if there was, it’s not clear where you’re supposed to wait.

After being forced to stand for nearly 20 minutes today, I explained to the teller that I have a disability that makes it very difficult for me to stand for an extended period and asked what I should do for next time. Instead of answering my question, she proceeded to give me a lecture about using online banking or the ATM. When I forced the issue and asked to speak with a manager, the manager pointed to a bench that is behind a wall and not in a clear line of sight for the tellers if there are people standing in line. I asked how anyone would ever know I was in line, but didn’t get an answer.

I’ve had an account with the Royal Bank for nearly 20 years, but am fairly newly disabled. The design of the branch and the lack of signage, combined with the lack of staff at the sitting wicket, and the lack of interest on the part of the manager or staff in dealing with the issue left me with the impression that they don't care, that if you can’t stand in line for 20 minutes at a time like a “normal” customer, you’re not welcome here. The Royal Bank’s website was even more interesting in this regard. When I tried to use the feedback form in their “accessibility area” it failed. The wording of my comment was the same as it is above — no profanity or any kind of language that should cause the form to fail, yet no matter what I did, I got a message saying “the content was invalid.”

How I would like to see this resolved is for the Royal Bank to smarten up and get some protocols in place to limit line-up time to 10 minutes or less by having adequate staffing levels at all times and also by referring more complex customer issues to staff other than frontline tellers. There were only two customers ahead of me today, so there is no reason why there should have been a 20 minute wait in the first place. There needs to be signage to indicate where you should sit and wait if you can’t stand for an extended period; and the branch manager and staff need re-education so that they don't behave as if people with disabilities are a hassle who should stay home and do Internet banking or use the machines instead of bothering them. My goal in writing this review is to push RBC into doing right by its customers with disabilities.

My partner and I have both been using this bank and we are no happy about it at all. First of all you have limited amount of free transaction which may be a common point in every Canadian Bank but I really don't get it! We got scammed using online banking. Went to a branch, filled in a form, got an email 2 weeks after saying basically "yes, you got scammed!" ...thanks for nothing! I knew that... so what? Went to the branch again and a different person said the previous employee who opened the case didn't do things properly so nothing has been done to start an investigation!! What??? We finally got our money back at the end...

Went to a branch to count some coins I have been saving: no coin counting machines. The only way to change your money is to count yourself every coin and roll them in paper bags!!! Which they don't have on site so I had to go somewhere else and buy them!! Seems not a big deal but to me it is. Just their customer service is very poor so is their general service!! I'M GOING TO CHANGE BANK!

I opened a new account with RBC in June because I needed a bank I could walk into once in awhile for banking needs they had, I got an email in may saying open an account with RBC you will receive a free iPad mini after having your having your pay cheque direct deposit into your account or have a payment come out of your account for a bill which I had done both and qualified July 21 5 weeks later I got an email

Saying my iPad mini was ordered and will get another email saying it's been shipped with a tracking number, 5 weeks later no email no iPad, I called RBC and they had a tracking they gave it to me I tracked the iPad had been sent back to sender in the states I don't even live in the states I live in Canada, I found out the iPads were ordered out of the states from an apple factory and improper paper work would not let it cross over the border, I talked to one guy at RBC in costumer completes who was kind of rude and said it could be months before I received my iPad, so a week later I called back a week later and talked to another lady who seemed a little more helpful telling me she talked to their shipping department and assured me my IPad would be sent 2 - 3 weeks and I would receive a tracking number.

3 weeks went by no track so I called back again and she said it would be 3-4 weeks. Well 4 weeks went by. Nothing. Once again I called them again and talked to the same woman. She once again said she talked to her shipping department and they told her they don't make the iPad mini 2 anymore and they would be send me the newest iPad mini in 10-15 days. Funny thing is I called Apple and they do still make the iPad mini 2 and 15 days are here and once again no iPad. No tracking number. I've been getting the run around calling wasting my time and to be lied to by the RBC. I even went as far as to email CEO of RBC. Of course no reply. It's terrible bank to deal with. They can't even keep a promise.

I opened my account with this bank in 1958. Then it was a different organization to what it is today. Recently I received correspondence from them to say that the democratic dictatorship in Ottawa had decreed that non-Canadians could no longer have accounts in Canada and that they were closing my account. Freedom! When I requested that they transfer the funds to another bank they demanded I send them government photos. This entails me buying a computer with a printer/scanner because I am not in Canada. This bank has always accepted my instructions in the past but now it is a house of I can't say the word because of free speech. Don't trust them!

My husband and I have been banking with RBC for over five years now. When we moved to a new city we wanted to sit down with someone at the bank and discuss our finances, budgeting get an idea of what we need to do to purchase a house. Upon meeting with a young girl at the branch, she told us that we spend too much money and my husband needs to get a better paying job and that would solve our financial problems. She didn't once give us any ideas on what we can do to save money or get out of debt. My husband had been working retail at the time and we were struggling to make ends meet. She was very condescending and talked down to us both.

Another issue I have with RBC is the horrible communication and lack of customer service. Currently we have several items (automatic debits and credits) with RBC. For the last three years, I have been depositing a paycheque of roughly $1400 every two weeks. Last week I deposited my cheque and went to pay for some items only to discover that now, after three years, they are holding all deposits into our account. Needless to say, I was pissed. I went into the branch the next day and was told by a very arrogant and rude client services rep that when head office makes a decision then it is final. I asked why there were holds and he said it's because someone reviewed my account activity and decided to put the holds on. This is a horrible company to bank with. They treat their customers like absolute trash. DO NOT BANK WITH THEM!!

We are outraged and disappointed how RBC and its mortgage representative called "Specialist" handle our case, from the beginning till the end there is no transparency to the client about the process. We are new immigrant and we trust the brand of RBC and the reputation it carries, she proved there is no difference between the normal broker and RBC in the end. We reached out to Ellen Braganca (RBC Mortgage representative) for mortgage in July 2015 and constantly asking for the rates and mortgage, she sounds so promising and claimed she's been doing this more than 10+ years, based on her experience and brand of the bank we discussed the details and forward our critical private financial information.

She had those details 2 months in advance and closing date was given 20 days earlier. She delivered nothing and wasted our precious time. I'm very sure every multinational organisation or bank must establish and follow certain process, I'm astonished this is how one reputed bank employee respond and service clients. We were waiting patiently till very end of our closing date, she has no respect for client situation this is totally NOT ACCEPTABLE behaviour. No update from Ellen (Mortgage representative) at all and didn't highlight any impact or problem. We just blindly waiting for her message and lost the precious time to find another lender.

We called multiple times and left message, she shows no responsibility to clients critical situation. The information she was requesting a day before closing related to the lack of credit history should have been done long back when she collected our financial information like 2 months back and gave our consent to check our credit. We understand what she been telling us is total BS when we go to verify ourselves in TD bank, at the same time TD helped to check our credit history and willingly come forward to process our application on the same day, till today RBC unable to provide a credible answer. It cost me $285 emergency closing fee.

The teller: Had a rude attitude and bossy disrespectful responses during the conversation. I ordered and I paid for a one gold bar 5 Oz. I specifically requested to make sure it is in its plastic packaging as I always do. They called me to come to pick it up, I went, the teller kept saying while I am waiting ``so you like gold huh``.

The gentleman showed up with a paper open envelop and pulled out (A USED SMALL ZIPLOC BAG WITH A STICKER ON IT THAT HAS A COMPUTER BAR CODE). I reminded him that I asked to make sure it is sealed, "Sorry I can not take this, please call me when you get the right product." He asked me to wait for 5 min and run to the back.

I said to him and the teller, "I can't wait. Please give me my order sheet." The teller said: "He said just 5 minutes, you can wait over there and used a careless finger pointing gesture to send me away." I did not respond. I took my sheet and walked away. I overheard her saying to the rest of the tellers. Remember his face. Do not order anything for him again. I stopped, I replied back saying. "EXCUSE ME. WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" The customer service lady behind the desk where I was said, "She is not talking to you sir." I was so insulted so I left. (Greta. **) reacted by calling back the pharmacy and threaten to charge me all kinds of fees if I am not picking it up. Called my pharmacy, Spoke with my staff pharmacist, Literally told him Mr. ** better come back and pick this order otherwise if we return it we will be charging him. Item return fee, shipping charges, handling charges etc.

I called the customer service phone number, told my story, they got me in contact with the customer service young lady in the branch who apologized and asked me if it is ok to order it in 5 pieces each is 1 Oz. I agreed. She said she will call me back when they arrive and said, "The manager will call you himself to apologize". I said no need.

The branch manager: Reacted in a very strange and rude stubborn way by. Asked Greta to call me and tell me (as above). Refuse to let them return the item and keep it there and wait. Did not return any messages regarding this situation. When I called back and insisted on Monday to know what is going on with my order he told the customer service lady to inform me that he will not absorb the costs if they return the item and will charge me.

At the end when Ms. ** from the customer care and the gentleman who called me back from the branch told me, "The branch manager will agree to refund you in full but from now on they will not order me any gold bars. Now before I start telling the facts in details I would like to mention that I have been with RBC since I landed here in Ontario in 1995. I have all my personal and businesses accounts with you guys as well as my mortgage before I pay it off. I also used to have my rrsp, resp,tfsa, investments. Etc up until 2007 - The first time was in 2007 when It was the closing date for my new house and finishing one mortgage (with rbc) and start the new home's mortgage (with rbc).

All with RBC and the branch manager insisted that I will pay 3 months interest as a fee for terminating one mortgage and starting the other one and he didn't care that it was the employees mistake who did say that upon renewal I told him that I'll be getting the new home a year from now and did not care when I said I'll be transferring all my investments to another bank (more than 200k) and he said, "It's up to you, it's your money, I dont care." I also was told, "We can't do anything, sorry. Whatever the branch manager says it goes you may escalate your concerns to RBC's Office of the Ombudsman in writing." Which I did and the response stayed the same.

So, as you see this is also the same. A person doesn't do his job to make sure something is done right. A mistake happens. Branch manager refuse to correct it because it costs money. But the big difference here is that Hazelton 7 Winston Churchill branch manager went another step further and refuse to provide any services for me if I choose not to receive this Ziploc bag.

Detailed incident report: On October 5th 2016 I went to the RBC branch on Hazelton and Winston Churchill. I paid for gold bar 5 Oz and as usual I told the gentleman who ordered it for me to make sure it is in the mint Canada plastic package. They called me the week after I think on the 14th to tell me it arrived to the branch.

I showed up on Monday the 17th. I think go to the teller. The gentleman came in after she told him the gold bar guy is here. He had an open envelop and pulled a USED ZIPLOC BAG WITH A STICKER ON - IT SAYS 5OZ AND A COMPUTER BAR CODE. I looked at him and said sorry we went through this before. I will only take it if it is in its original plastic seal. He said, "Wait sir. Let me get you the lady in charge. Just wait 5 minutes." I said I cannot but he left to get her. I asked the teller to give me my paper back which she did while saying to me don't leave wait for him over there - it is just 5 minutes. I did not like the rude tone in her voice but I did not say anything and I walked out. I overheard her saying to the other tellers, "Heh, now you remember h again." I turned back and I said excuse me, "What did you just say?" The teller ignored me.

The customer service lady at the desk said, "She is not talking to you sir." I am sure she was but I was angry and I did not want to say anything more and I just left telling the gentleman who showed up with another young lady, "Please I have to leave. Please call me when you get it in the sealed package." I turned my cell of right after I left the branch. I received a phone call from my staff pharmacist a day later saying that a lady by the name of Greta called and told him: He better come back and pick up this gold bar. If he doesn't he will be paying a fine. Return item fee, shipping charges, handling charges.

I called the phone customer service, Told my story. The lady apologized got me on line with another lady from the branch who also apologized and said how about if we order the gold bars in 1 oz and we do an order for 5 of them so we make sure that they are sealed. I said ok I dont mind as long as I dont pay extra. She said, "No and we will be calling you when it arrives." Same day I received a phone call from a lady by the name of Jasmin saying that she is my new advisor assigned to me instead of Greta. I told her the situation and I told her they said they will handle it.

I followed up by calling Jasmin a few days later who assured me that they will call me once they receive it - they are not supposed to keep these items long in the branch. Wednesday Nov 9th, I called her. She said she will call to inquire Thursday, she said they did not reply to her yet. Friday, she is on vacation 'till Nov 21st so I called the customer service that didnt able to reach anyone because it is a day off and I do not wish to disturb her.

Saturday November 12, I called and they made me levee the branch a message - no one called back. Monday 14th November, I called. They were able to get to the branch manager who told them to tell me. Again, I better come and get it. He is not going to send it back and absorb any charges. If I decide to return it and get refunded, I'll have to pay. Shipping charges, item returned unpaid fee, item return fee, commission, handling. Even the girl was embarrassed so she transferred me to the client care center (Linda **). Linda was very nice, listen to the whole story, asked me to give her a couple of days to solve the matter.

I called Linda Tuesday 15th to follow up; she said she didn't hear back from the branch yet, the problem is that I know any solution Linda is going to be opposed by the branch manager. As I mentioned above I learned yesterday Monday November 15th 2016 that the manager is the one who refused to make the other people in the branch to return the gold bar and ask for it again in a sealed plastic wrap like the actual order says because he is not willing to approve paying another shipping charges or anything.

Now This is not fair. I will not pay any extra fees or shipping charges because I told them, "Make sure that it is sealed." I refuse to believe that RBC will stand by the branch managers unacceptable, unfair decision to simply ignore me and my messages and also ignore Jasmin and now may be Linda too by not returning the phone call. I have my business and my personal accounts with RBC since the day I landed in CANADA. I hate that this is going to be the 2nd time that I get ignored and treated unfairly because of someone else didn't make a phone call to tell your supplier to make sure it is sealed. I am not sure what to expect. I just hope it is not the same response I had 9 years ago.

I'm from Vancouver BC. I'm actually the best customer they can have! I got a 800 credit record background which is top rating! I had no cash transactions and no oversea money transfer this year! Which means my accounts have nothing to do with money laundry. All I do with my account and visa card is just some car insurance payments and use my credit card for online purchase. Out of a sudden they said they decided to close all my accounts including credit card which I've been using for 3 years and put me on a black list! What the hell RBC? I think they made a serious mistake.

When I call them to provide me the reason for closing my accts they said they cannot give me any reason. They just wanna close my accounts. I never received any letter from them to provide me reason neither! I don't even know if I will receive the balance of my accounts. They said they mailed me a cheque but who knows! RBC GO TO HELL WITH THIS KIND OF SERVICE!

I used to work for RBC, it's an excellent company and their employees are usually amazing. I woke up this morning and noticed something wasn't right with my pay from my part time job, so I searched in my transaction history and saw I got a binged a $45.00 NSF fee. I totally understand why NSF fees exist, except mine was for something I was short of $3.90. It was the night before my pay came in when an automatic PayPal transaction decided to charge me for a monthly subscription I have, so I decided to go to my local RBC branch to ask if there was any chance to waive it because I was only short a few dollars. I'm also pretty poor and my job pays me barely anything, so $45.00 off of a $700 pay check hurts.

I was expecting someone to at least listen to me. The woman I was served by was completely rude to me for no reason. I explained my situation to a woman at the Woodbine and Danforth branch, and she cut me off mid-sentence, and said "Well, that's why you got charged. You gave out information without even thinking." She blamed the whole thing on me. I told her that I didn't know that the automatic fund (a charity donation by the way) was going to come in that night. She just kept cutting me off. The last time this happened to me, a man named Philippe at the same branch refunded as soon as he saw it in my transaction history.

Not one ounce of understanding from this lady. I work in customer service, and hey, I totally get it to be rude to a customer if they're being rude to you first. I get that it's exhausting dealing with clients asking you the same questions, but you have no right to interrupt me while I am talking about MY BANK ACCOUNT. But I was just asking a question, for some guidance even, on how to avoid this situation. I asked her to look at my checking account statement and history, and she didn't even take my card. I then told her I was going to be away in the United Kingdom for the next few weeks, and she just shrugged and said, "Okay." I'm completely shocked of the service I received from her. It was uncalled for. She didn't even look at my account, how would she know my full story?

A friend told me to contact RBC by the phone because she knew that I'm in no financial standing to lose $45.00 because my charity donation came through at a bad time. I explained the zero help I got from the Woodbine and Danforth branch, the man on the phone was 100% sympathetic and took the time to look through my history and said he believed it was a mistake, and waived the fee from my account. He apologized for HER behavior, which I think is completely unacceptable. I have nothing but good things to say about the RBC employees at the call center, every time I call them they always fix my problem right away without hesitation.

My home I owned for 17 years was foreclosed leaving me homeless. I fought this from day 1 however the court's order nisi the first step foreclosure. This document was never served to me as per court rules. I only had 15 days to appeal. By not be served the order nisi I could not appeal. I fought in the courts. The judges were sympathetic but could not do anything. This is criminal. My home sold for more than order nisi. I never got 1 penny. Bank and lawyer kept all the funds from the sale. The courts refuse to have the bank giving me accounting.

The lawyer tried to keep over 66.000.00. I talked to RBC mortgage and was advise because I fought in the courts that the law firm was able to keep the money. I fought in the courts the lawyer said it was an error. The money was put back towards the mortgage. However I still owe the bank money with no accounting. RBC wanted me to sign a release. I refused because there were accts I didn't know about. RBC had the courts label me as a vexatious litigant so I can't fight in the courts against them. This is unjust. Please help.

I deposited my pay in the ATM, like I always do on Monday. Last week had no problem with my withdrawals or making online payments. Went to my branch on Monday, Nov 7, made my deposit as always. I withdrew $100.00. I came back home, got on the bank site to pay my power and telephone bills. Well, imagine my surprise when it told me I only had a balance of 18.00 but was only allowed to access 5.77 of this money. My pay was more than $600.00. My overdraft was gone, and my pay was gone. I went back to the branch and was told my bank account was "downsized".

I did NOT receive notice from the branch in any shape or form that this was even going to happen. If I had any pre-authorized payments due on this day they would have been NSF because of what they did. I have been with this bank for over 20 yrs. So, this being said, I closed my account at RBC and have taken my business elsewhere. I have also been letting friends and family know about this. It has happened to a few of my friends here also. I think we should have been notified of these drastic changes beforehand.

I had a car loan with RBC and I had a car accident and the car went to write off. My insurance company sent me a cheque and I took the cheque to RBC on October 06/2016. Until now I have not received the balance amount of the cheque and I have contacted them so many times. Every agent including customer care gave me a different date of mailing my cheque out to my bank (TD). I spoke to at least 10 different people and none of them know anything about anything. Most of them were so rude and arrogant and not helpful at all. The last one made it clear to me that there is nothing I can do to escalate this matter and I am literally stuck with her and I should just wait for her to get back to me.

NO ONE wanted to pass my call over to someone who could solve my problem and I heard all kind of excuses from them starting from “the manager is not on his desk”, “he/she is not available at the moment”. You name it. I wonder what kind of a BIG BANK cannot work on something as simple as releasing a cheque???!!! And has no one who can help a customer in a proper manner. I would bury my money in the backyard before I bank with RBC. One advice folks, avoid dealing with RBC in any way possible.

I have been a Royal Bank customer close to 30 years so one would think it would pay attention and try to keep me a satisfied customer but just went through the most unpleasant customer service experience. Early June I went to the main branch in Toronto to get my daughter a companion Visa credit card as she was going to travel quite a bit during the summer to places where debit cards do not work in shops. So my account, my responsibility to pay: simple: no additional credit risk for the bank. Was given a form for her to sign so did that and brought the form back (visit #2). Daughter goes off to 1st trip and no card. Worried about 2nd trip and my daughter having no card so I go to my local branch near home to try and figure out what happens (visit #3); after several minutes of looking into files was told application is held up, not to worry will be sent immediately with a rush. No effect.

I go back to main branch and ask to see a manager (visit #4) who apologizes, phones around, "gets it solved" and promises there is a rush to get it delivered home. No effect. Go back to main branch (visit #5): ask to speak to a branch manager who calls around, "solves it", promises a rush before trip #2. No effect: card does finally arrive after 5 visits and more than 2 months after trip #2 so no use when it arrives. Reading the newspapers I should probably have asked for a $1m mortgage and THAT would have been done in 5 minutes it looks like! But a little card with barely any additional revenue for the bank that is going to waste several hours of my time. Well done!

RBC is one of the worst bank I have had to deal with. They give misleading information, to me it is deceiving their new customers. I recently opened an account at RBC. They promised to give me an iPad, provided I had 2 pre-authorized bill payments or 1 direct deposit. So I arranged for 2 pre-authorized payments, as I have plenty in my other accounts. I arranged this by Debit Visa, because I was told that would work as well, and there is no mentioning that it would not qualify in their terms and conditions. Well, now - after about 5 months - I was told I would not get the iPad, as pre-authorized payments via Visa Debit would not qualify. Excuse me?! Are you for real?! When opening the account, everything was okay and now this?

I must say that the complete staff at that branch is completely unprofessional, impolite and unfriendly in general. They are slow, say they have not received any emails, although I bring along proof, they promise and then they forget, etc. I could go on and on... It took them 2 weeks to get my Debit card from another branch in the same town... and so on... Maybe it is just this branch, however, I was told by so many people not to go there. Well, I went there, opened an account and have learned my lesson. I will cancel the account today.

I don't know where to begin. RBC policy is literally destroying my life and the life of my children. About 18 years ago I signed up for an RBC visa card, never had any problems... They auto changed the card for me some years ago to a Capitol One card, things went on like normal. Today maybe 5 years later they say I owe 28k on my card. I never use my card. The charges of the 28k are most ALL penalty fees on a 700.00 debt from years and years ago which I was never informed of... They demand now 57k in court costs and 36k in debts owing... Almost 100k! They launch their court case in Ontario, and won... I did not even know about it. No one sent me any letters or phoned. I live in BC Vancouver. I have never even been outside of this province. They now have a lien against my house and the power to sell it if I don't agree to pay them a gigantic sum every month for basically the next 10 years or more with mounting interest.

I am a hair dresser. This house was the one thing I managed to get with my life's work and they have the legal power to take it from me. This is over 700 dollars! Which was an amount they did not transfer to my new Capitol One card when they decided for some reason to change me over to that... I have no idea why. I have never in my entire life missed a single payment on my card or my Mrtg... This is their fault, but because the system holds trials in other provinces and RBC seems to have no need to inform me about it now I'm legally screwed. I have gone to lawyers, they want 2k just to get something started and they tell me this is something very difficult and expensive to do, like perhaps more expensive than the 100k and there are no guarantees. In other words it's hopeless for me since I do not have 100k to pay visa or 100k to fight their evil system.

I have tried to plea to any person in the RBC, tried to explain that I have done nothing wrong, and even if I did owe 700 dollars from years ago, it should not be almost 100k today because of their gigantic legal fees process... I would have been happy to pay this plus interest, so about 4k... but 100k is a scam! It's impossible for me. I have no family or rich friends... and cannot possibly afford their minimum payment of 2800 per month. I am a hair dresser, almost age 70 and on my LAST year or two of work. I earn very little. I could not even afford 200 per month without cutting off my phone or not turning on my lights. This company is EVIL.

If anyone could see the real story about what they are doing to me, no one would even believe it... and this is Canada. I have no idea how this type of brutal scam company can operate like this. They abuse the court system and target the weakest people like me. Basically at this point I have been told they will force the sale of my house over the next 12 weeks. They will subtract their 100k plus expenses and give me the rest... It will be less than nothing and I will be homeless age 70 and no idea how to store or tend to my personal items. I could never afford to rent in this city on my wage. My life ends over this under great stress and feeling helpless. I hope someone else reads this and will remember RBC is an evil company... Do not trust them. The people working at RBC are just young people with no blame, but the system in place is something they do not know about... It destroys good hard working people's lives.

It's been two years since I'm going to this branch to make deposit for work. I guess because I'm depositing for my company they don't treat me like their regular clients. To begin with they refused to provide us any deposit bags, and turned around to complain about how we don't write the deposit slips correctly. Most of their staff have the same power-play attitude like we are a bother to trouble their days. One times their CSR made me repeat my request three times. Even when my manager went in to the branch to have a meeting with their branch manager, she received the similar mistreatment. I guess my only way of expressing my years of dreadful and dissatisfied experiences with this bank will be to write online reviews.

Please don't have any insurance or loan with Royal Bank. Their system is super slow. Everything that you request all need more than 10 business days to process. The customer service always say do the best for you, but never. What you need to do is just wait, wait, wait. I've wasted so much time doing the call with Royal Bank then still end up with just wait.

I went through a horror today with RBC rep credit card department. I called to have a simple explanation of my account statement but the representative was so arrogant, unprofessional. I felt so humiliated because I wanted information about MY account. I work so hard for my money and wanted just a simple explanation and the representative insulted and humiliated me. The supervisor even said that he will put a certain block in my account because I decide to made a complaint about the representative. I will definitely open a new bank account somewhere else with another bank, I never want to have to talk that kind of representative, I have been with RBC since 8 years, it is an ok bank though but some representative need training.

I set up an appointment to open an RBC Direct investing account. On the day of the appointment I walk in to the branch, filled up the application with the investing representative and submitted all my document. More than a month later my account is still not active yet. I called their direct line many times but each time I get conflicting answer and stories about the status of my account. Every time I call, I answer tons of question but still no one answer me why my account is inactive. The representative who answer the phone seems not properly trained and they are nonprofessionals. I have never received a call or a letter from them regarding my account status. Finally I decided to move to DT Bank. I found DT Bank much better than RBC. TD staff was well trained and TD has well established communication system. I suggest don't waste your time with RBC and move on to other banks.

My husband tried to open a TFSA account with RBC Direct Investing. I had downloaded and completed the profile, TFSA, trade authorization, and W-8BEN forms that are required and took them to the branch. Once there we were met by one of their advisors who said it would be much better if he completed the forms on-line to open the account because it would more direct and faster. My husband answered all the advisor's questions as he typed them on the on-line form and signed where he was asked to sign.

We were supposed to receive an e-mail from RBC Direct Investing to let us know the TFSA account had been opened; the e-mail of course was never received as they sent it to the wrong address. When we inquired a few weeks later we were told they had opened a "spousal" account as it had been check marked on the profile application but that they couldn't proceed with opening the TFSA because these can only be individual accounts. They never contacted us to explain there was a problem with the account opening and all of this could have been avoided if the advisor at the branch had completed the forms properly!

Next time I decided to skip the branch and mailed the forms directly to RBC Direct Investing in Toronto. Never heard from them again until I phoned them a couple of weeks later. They told me that we had forgotten to complete the "Occupation" lines so that we had to complete the "Client Profile Form" again. As it turns out, you do not have to enter your occupation but choose from a list of numeric codes that correspond to a particular occupation which I had done as I verified the copies of my mailing to them. Anyway, I sent a new copy of the "Client Profile Form" and wrote the occupation next to the code.

Never heard from RBC Direct Investing again until I phoned them a week later. This time they said they had the profile but they didn't have the W-8BEN form and that is all they needed to open the account. My husband signed a new W-8BEN and popped into the branch to have it sent through their internal mail. Never heard from RBC Direct Investing again. We came back from holidays this week and phoned them. The answer was that they had the W-8BEN but that did not have the Profile Form!

I have been a client of RBC's for over 20 years and I simply had it. Something has been happening lately with their customer service. When you phone either RBC the bank or the Direct Investing side you can perceive that whomever answers your call is only a half-baked trainee, they do not speak clear English and they put you on hold to go and find out the right answer from someone else.

Yesterday, I phoned RBC and asked to speak with a supervisor to establish a complaint. Well, this lady transferred me to an answering machine of someone who said was out of the office until August 2 and that I should contact Customer Service. I phoned Customer Service again, spoke to the agent and explained the situation. He said, "No problem I will transfer you to the Customer Service Manager". He put me on hold forever until another agent picked up the phone and asked me what I was waiting for. I had not been transferred anywhere. I guess they left me waiting there until I tired and hung up. I have made an appointment with another bank this week to move all of my accounts out of RBC and RBC Direct Investing. By the way, trying to open that TFSA took over 3 months and counting.

I recently changed banks from a provincial credit union to a National Bank (RBC) due to doing business inter-provincially. During this time I also had to deal with my mom's aid estate. The level of professionalism at RBC has been careless and Insubordinate at best. They have managed to cost me thousands of dollars. I was told today the money in the Estate account will stay there for 9 years then go to the government. Good Times! Thank God I changed to TD Canada Trust and got the rest of my money out yesterday. Lesson learned: as I get older I keep thinking I am wiser but in reality it is easier for others to take advantage.

Let me start by saying that I have been a loyal RBC client for 40+ years. They have made mistakes, but everyone does, so I gave them a pass. If I could give them less than 1 star here, I would. In the last two years they have messed up my mortgages so much I can't even begin to comprehend how they are still in business. 2 years ago, the mortgage person was so incompetent that they fired him (I think over the mess he made of my mortgage). I was promised it would be fixed (he had somehow split it into two mortgages and a line of credit, so I was making 3 separate payments) but it was never fixed, so I just lived with it.

Now, I sold my house and bought a condo. I had a great meeting with a mortgage person. It went very smoothly. We discussed how I wanted ONE mortgage, no line of credit. Paid once monthly (instead of bi-weekly). I wanted a 24 year amortization, 5 years fixed term (I had already worked out the numbers ahead of time). I got a great rate, we agreed on everything, and then I signed the papers based on what we had agreed upon. So when my house closed, I was surprised first to receive a statement advising that my first payment was due 2 weeks earlier than I had anticipated. Because they had gotten the payments wrong, and made it bi-weekly. Then, through the process of trying to fix that, I find out that I have a 30 year mortgage instead of a 24 year mortgage, and that they have closed my VISA account without telling me.

So I email the mortgage person who says that yes, that is what I signed. BUT THAT ISN'T WHAT WE DISCUSSED, OR WHAT I AGREED TO! Either she knowingly misled me, or she made a mistake, neither of which she will admit to. I signed the documents based on good faith that she had put in what we had agreed upon.

BUYER BEWARE! I am not a stupid person. I am well-educated, and I know my way around numbers pretty well. But I signed a document based on what she told me. I did check the document for the rate to make sure that was right. I never thought to check for the amortization period. So I have no proof that what I said happened, happened. I will never ever trust an RBC employee again for anything. I am stuck now, I can't get out of it without paying a huge penalty, so I will have to live with their mistake again, for another 5 years. But at that point I am pulling everything out of RBC and going to another bank. Maybe TD will give me a TV for switching to them. That's more than I ever got from RBC.

When I go for banking at this bank, the teller puts "Window Closed" sign in front of me and never serves me. This incident happened in Hamilton Branch at Whitney. I brought this to the notice of the manager by sending him an email. Nothing changed. Then I went one level higher, the regional manager made notes but nothing changed. Their policies are very racist. In terms of getting their products be it investments or credit, there is definitely some favouritism. I have written to the ombudsman and waiting for the reply.

Royal Bank of Canada Company Profile