3.8/5 (414 ratings)

About Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?

Original review: June 8, 2022

Spruce Grove bank manager. I get a phone call from RBC Fraud department regarding fraudulent activity on my online banking which I actually thought was a good thing. During the phone call, my online banking was put on limited access. I requested to have any payments stopped for i had not authorized any direct withdrawals. I was reassured that any withdrawals, if any, would be stopped and all I need to do is enter a branch and they will remove the restrictions on my account. At this time I was travelling from the airport in Yellowknife, to go gold mining up in the bush. I was feeling safe that I should have no issues. When I finally got to fly home, I was upset to see over 900$ in NSF fees.

So I called the bank and they put a 100% restriction on my account and stopped anything from being withdrawn. I also explained to representative of what transpired and that they did not stop anything. This is the fraud department remember. They assured me that this was a terrible mistake and all I need to do is enter a branch and they will correct the issue. Well I entered the branch in Spruce Grove, AB and the manager denied me any service explaining that over the phone, RBC cannot stop any withdrawals. This was ridiculous to me for I did request over the phone 2 days prior to entering branch and they were able to restrict my account fully and stop any unauthorized withdrawals.

When I questioned the manager, that I thought she was blowing hot air up my ass, for my account was restricted and withdrawals prevented further via a phone call. She got upset and asked me to leave. To avoid cops etc I gladly obliged for I felt I had no choice against a Amber Heard type of person. So basically the fraud department is not able to stop withdrawals or put 100% restrictions on an account that has fraudulent activity even though they notify you of it happening. I have never dealt with a bank before that has that type of core values, or lack of values for that matter.

So I went a little farther down the road and deposited over 30 grand into Scotiabank. RBC should be ashamed of themselves and that manager should be fired. Very disrespectful and poorest customer service I have ever received in my life. Teenagers working at McDonald's have more curiosity and professionalism then a manager at a bank. Shame on you Spruce Grove, AB Royal Bank of Canada.

Original review: May 27, 2022

I ordered an iPhone 13 Pro thru RBC on April 22, 2022 and supposedly a gift for Mother’s Day. I ordered this item thru RBC rewards site that partially pay with my reward points and most was paid by my master card which $1000.84 paid they my card and $580 is the redeem from RBC point. The moment when I placed the order, it indicates that I will receive my product in 5 to 7 business days. I called on the 9th days to check the status since I have not receive my order. RBC rewards rep told me it suppose to be 10th business days. Then I waited until the 11th days and make another call. They told me no status nor shipping information about my order. They suggested me to call back on the 15th business days to file an escalation.

Again, I call in on the 16th business days, they file an escalation to the investigation department and said an confirmation email will send to me (which never happen). Then I call on the 20th, same story and keep telling me and will file another investigation order. And again I was told they will send me email with 2 hours and will contact me by phone with 48 hours. I waited again with very little hope. Nothing!! No call no email.

Today, the 27th of May, I called again and same story, they don’t know what is happening, no shipping information, no status. So basically all those calls was useless and no one actually care. I feel like I am being scammed! Got scammed by one of the biggest back in Canada (RBC). I asked to cancel my order and refund my reward points and the money was charge to my master card. She told me I can not cancel my order because the system not allowing her. I asked to speak to someone higher authority, the answer is no. No one else can help me. I am not getting my order and I can not cancel my order to get my money back. If this is not a scam then please explain to me what is it. I have nowhere to look for help since they keep telling me to call back a few more days to check on it. I hope this complaint would help and get the attention of those RBC personnel.

Mark **

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Well. Glad I looked up reviews to see this is the RBC M.O. Been on hold an hour. Not talked to anyone, just listening to their ads for Monerius and music. Wanted to open a Business Account after the online application was missing a piece of info and couldn't sign. Probably for the best didn't go through. Called back another number to book an in-person appointment at my local branch instead, as figured I'd need to bring in some documentation. On hold another eternity. I'm pretty patient, but never did get to speak with anyone. Guess I will take my business elsewhere. Worst lack of service I have experienced in a very long time.

Original review: May 10, 2022

RBC credit card is hands down with worst CC company to deal with. Can't get them on the phone. Their secure email communications are slow and deliberately drawn out to the end of "their" issued deadlines to order to force a "case close" situation. Not recommended.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Greedy bank with focus on profit and disregards for clients. Incompetent employees, probably unqualified, minimum paid hires and no training provided. You cannot talk to any customer service representative without being on hold for hours, unless you are buying their products. Under the excuse of Covid-19 nobody is working there. They have cut number of employees before pandemic started, big bosses bonuses cannot be impacted no matter what. After hours and hours of being on hold you are going to be passed from one department to another and each of them will have a different answer to same question. I had an agent hanging up when trying to transfer my call. I will move the money from there to TD or Scotia. Probably they are not much better, but I will anyway.

Original review: May 2, 2022

The most horrible service I have ever experienced. Called for 2 days straight to report a dispute on my Visa. Been on hold, or hung up on by their virtual voice mail for the simple reason I did not ask the right question which was "want to know my account balance". When I asked "dispute on my credit card" they say "sorry" and hang up. As of this morning I have been on hold for 56 minutes; thanks RBC, hopefully someone is enjoying a shopping trip because of your crap service. If you ask me if you should deal here, I would say Do NOT.

Original review: April 23, 2022

I can't freely comment on some of the things that have been happening for privacy reasons, but I can say that both the online interface and security at RBC are deplorable. Staff has not been helpful in resolving either of these issues. RBC's online banking interface and functionality are some of the most primitive I have seen in a long time, making it awkward, difficult, or impossible to do some pretty simple things - actions that should be doable on any 21st century banking platform..

As for the cheques, I have come across several (about 50% of those that have been issued against a particular account) that are made out incorrectly: amounts that don't match (figures line vs text line) and incorrectly-dated cheques (e.g. month no. 23, cheques post-dated by a month), recipient's name spelled incorrectly - all things other banks refuse to honour for the protection of the account-holder. All of these have been cashed anyway. I have brought these items to the attention of senior staff, with no result.

These lapses make it very difficult for me to have any confidence in other aspects as well: e.g. can a company whose web designers and developers can't design a reasonable online platform be trusted to implement security that is adequate to protect clients' assets from today's online threats? Personally I wouldn't bet on it. I would very emphatically not use RBC for my banking needs, nor recommend them at this point in time.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Worst of all worst service. Holding your account own money without explaining. Direct you from one branch to another saying it's not their issue it's the other branch issue. 3days investigation after 3 days they will tell you 5days! You deposit a cheque the first time they will hold but same cheque again and again still they hold it. The manager in Keele and Wilson RBC branch and teller doesn't know what they doing. Unprofessional!!!

Original review: April 7, 2022

I came as a newcomer to Canada and opened an account with RBC. I had an online appointment with RBC representative to open an account. First, the representatives don't quite well understand how the bank offers work. The representative opened me a VIP bank account and said it is free for newcomers. At the end I visited a branch and they informed me that VIP is not free for newcomers. Only advantage bank accounts are free for newcomers. Eventually, they switched me to Advantage type account. Second, I got a debit card and deposited all the money I had into that account. Later on I found out that RBC debit cards can't be used for online purchases. They don't have CVV codes. This is just unbelievable. Today when everything is going online due to pandemic, they are issuing newcomers cards, which can't be used for online purchases.

I didn't get a credit card from RBC, and now I can't do online purchases with the debit card. Later I opened RBC online debit visa card. This card also doesn't work on most websites, like Google Play. I was told that RBC system thinks that Google Play is a fraud website, and blocks transactions with RBC. All these nuances were not told to me at the beginning. RBC should be provide more that type of details for newcomers. We are new to this country and need someone to explain all these details. Instead the bank representatives just send links to read all that online. RBC consultants are not really helpful.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Worst customer service in the history of customer service - and I'm in customer service. Hours upon hours sometimes over a period of days to get someone. Requests for a manager to call go unheeded. Rude and obnoxious visa agents actually cost me money! Last straw was today - 5.5 hours on the phone last night and today to try and rent a car was unsuccessful. A 22,000 limit is gone because I will cancel my card to never have this heartache again. Please go to Coast Capital - they actually pick up the phone.

Royal Bank of Canada Company Information