2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.6/5 (238 ratings)

About Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Con: 19.99% interest. Pro: points I can actually use for stuff like gift cards And don't have to wait years to build enough to claim.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

If you are talking about my bank... the Royal Bank... I have been a customer for 30 years.. They are amazing! They have always been very friendly and helpful.. This is why I stay with them and would not change banks.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I have been a "customer" with RBC for many years. I pay everything on time and use and have used a number of different RBC services. Due to my situation, I am unable to currently visit a branch to restart my PIN as I am out of the country. I used to be able to do this over the phone previously, but was told that this has changed. I was told that there is nothing that RBC can do for me. Perhaps this is the case, but it is bizarre that people are left in these types of situations. What if I did not have a husband who had access to his card? I have now requested to speak to a manager over 5 times. I am told that someone will call when I call them and no one has called me back. It has been over 3 months. When possible, I will be moving all of my accounts out of RBC and wish I had done it sooner as this is not the first time that I have been sorely disappointed. Better to find a place that treats its customers seriously.

Original review: May 21, 2021

When I call customer service, there has never been a time in the last 10 years I don't get a 'higher than normal call volume." It's an insult to clients. Why don't they just say "We love our obscene profits so we won't spend a cent to employ any but the minimum number of humans to take your call. But we will waste as much of your time as possible by making you wait and feeding you a ton of information you don't want or need. You put up with it because you have no choice. We do it because we can."

Two: is so called 'English speaking' reps who can't speak or understand much of the English language. I don't care where they're from or what they look like. I care about not having to repeat myself 10 times and waste my time having to go over and over the same thing because the comprehension is not there on the other side.

Three: RBC seems to teach their employees that an irate customer is the same as an abusive customer and they can just hang up. This gives an excuse to every unprofessional, pouting snowflake to abuse clients instead of use some diplomatic self-control and actually just remain polite and transfer the call to a supervisor, as requested. Each time this has happened, the bank and/or the client rep has been at fault. When you make clients go through time waste and frustration to clear up credit card/RBC errors and issues, you are going to get frustrated, irate clients. Teach them to get some professional savvy and deal with that, fire them, or hire people who can actually do the job effectively and professionally.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I called RBC visa as I found an old card that was not activated. I wanted to know if the card that I am using is the replacement of this old card. This is the second day I called as I could not get someone to answer my call yesterday (3 calls in 2 days). First of all, the phone line was very busy & I waited for about 10 minutes before someone answered my call.

First rep - no idea, no product knowledge, didn't even give me his name, only said "hello" when answering my call. I had to ask for his name and in turn he told me his name and said, "You are calling RBC visa department". I got fully verified then I was put back to the queue without my consent... Waited on the phone for over 5 minutes until the 2nd rep answered my call.

Second rep - asked me to verify myself all over again. He told me he just picked up my call and there was no info from the 1st rep that I was verified. Told him the whole story again... Then he said, "Please wait as I have to transfer you to the specialist". Up to this point he was ok. Then I asked whether he works in the credit department and if so, why was I being transferred again! His tone totally changed and he became very rude. Put me in the queue right away without my consent just like the 1st rep. I waited in the queue for about 2 minutes to talk to the 3rd rep.

Third rep - asked me the last 4 numbers from my old card then she gave me info including the last 4 numbers of my new card & the type of card that I have. I was about to hang up and she asked me to verify myself so she could put a note into my account! I asked if she had not verified me why would she give me info about my card and some personal info. She said she was looking in 2 different systems and I was verified in 1 of them. So I said if I was verified in 1 of the 2 systems, why couldn't she look at the system that said I was already verified and pull info from there.

She said they were 2 different systems and insisting on me going through the verification again. I told her I could verify myself but would not as she's making me feel very unsafe about my personal information. She said not to worry as she's not going to write any comment on my account then. Be careful - This is how FRAUD could have happened!!! I think I rather deal with the branch from now on!

Original review: May 4, 2021

On April 4, we started the process of porting (transferring) our existing mortgage from the present house to the new property. We were told it would take 5 days. This was the first of many promises not kept. This also not the first time RBC didn’t keep their word. The last mortgage was finalized too late and cost us despite being informed over and over of the time constraints. We are now a month later with no end in sight and 13 days away from the closing. Once again, they have been informed and just don’t care. Do not go with RBC under any circumstances. You’re nothing to them and they don’t care how they screw your life.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I opened an Rbc account a couple months ago as I have a car loan with them. I decided as my car loan and the support was excellent I would change to this bank.... BIGGEST mistake ever, they require you have loan payment money 2 days prior to the loan, had spent some money out of my acct at 6pm, re-deposited by 7pm, car payment bounced due to me not having the funds solid in my acct for 2 days prior to loan payment. I then had to fight to get the $45 nsf returned and was told it was my fault. Now this month April 2021, they have taken 3 car payments.... Should be 2 and of course the 3rd one bounced, so now I'm fighting with them again, get this cleared up and I'm switching banks to one that doesn't require me to keep a certain amount in my acct days before a payment.... Worst bank ever.

Original review: April 21, 2021

As an international student, RBC is not the right bank for you. My credit card expired two months before my visa expiry date and RBC denied renewing my credit card. That means you have to live without credit card for a few months prior and during your Visa extension process which is just impossible. As a UoA international student advisor, I am gonna make sure every international student knows that.

Original review: April 20, 2021

I purchased a car in 2010 and got a car loan from RBC through the car dealership. RBC used to get their loan payments through a preauthorization from my BMO bank account. In 2016 I paid off the car loan in full and received a letter from RBC confirming the same. However, RBC continued debiting my BMO account for $10.49, which I never noticed until mid. 2020.

After investigating and the help of my bank, I managed to get proof that the funds were being requested by RBC Bank. I tried to communicate with one of RBC branches in my city. I received a call from the branch manager that this is an issue that I needed to resolve with BMO as RBC is not a part of the problem. The same happened when I tried to message RBC through their Twitter account. They refused to take my request seriously and investigate, nor refund me what was debited from my account the past 5 years. Finally had to do a stop payment request. Today RBC still continue to debit my account and still denying any wrong doing.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Went to my local branch to find that it was permanently closed. Luckily a passerby told me it had moved across the street. It was 4:30 and I am rushing to get a form filled in that had to be done by them in person before they close at 5pm. I don't have a printer but as I have been a client there for over 43 years, I made the assumption that they would print out a 1 page form for me there. I get there and am the ONLY customer in the bank surrounded by 5 employees standing around doing NOTHING. The teller tells me she won't print the form for me that I have the .pdf for ready to go. She says they won't print anything for anyone ever whether or not they are a client of the bank.

So I had to run to the printing shop, pay $1.24 to have a 1 page b&w form printed, then run back to the bank to have my bank account information filled out by her. While I am waiting I read the sign next to me about "being kind ... we're in this together". Apparently that doesn't apply to being a total pedantic ** to the customer by providing ** service and not being helpful in the least by refusing to print out a 1 page form that is directly related to customer's banking needs. It just makes me sick. I will be removing all of my accounts from this disgusting bank who is more than happy to make money off its customers but refuses to do the smallest service for their customers. "In this together?" Shame on you.

Original review: March 9, 2021

I have been an RBC customer for over 15 yrs and incidentally I never had to call their customer service till this year for anything major or critical. Now that a critical situation came up and have been dealing with their customer service for both banking and direct investing for 3 months now including their local banking advisor at the branch. Simply put, the service they offered is the despicable and frustrating and disgusting.

I have over 10 accounts across their product lines and never felt this level of disgust with any company in the past across north America. Their branch level advisors are a joke and has no knowledge or should I say, that they don't even know how do their job. And their over the phone customer service can't be described anything beyond worst and non existent. I am moving in all my accounts to TD and closing my business account with RBC as well.

Original review: March 8, 2021

Worst bank we have RBC. All type of accounts with them and in process to take our business somewhere else. After Covid it's impossible to get someone touch over the phone with them and worst one is RBC direct investing. They are playing with clients by using covid accuse for long time now. All you need call on number and will figure it out after couple of hours when continue to hear recording.

Royal Bank of Canada Company Information