1.22/5

266 Royal Bank of Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I Maria ** deposited 2 checks ($6000.00 Balance transfer check and $3000.00 a personal check) at ATM last Sept. 26 and 27, 2018 respectively. Unfortunately, I am unable to access my bank account at ATM. Went to a bank teller to get help. Waited for 1.5 hours (Barnett Highway Coquitlam Branch). The issue was not resolved and was being told to visit my branch (North Road Branch) to bring 2 pieces of ID. The RBC Barnett Branch check my ID already during my visit. Why do I have to visit my branch - North Road.

Instead, I called the North Rd branch and asked the customer service to transfer my call to a Branch Manager. Two hours later, the Asst Branch manager - Carmela returned my call and she was useless and have no clue as to why my funds are frozen. I visited the Barnett Highway branch for the second time, the RBC Barnett Highway branch manager, Cheryl has no clue why my funds was frozen and was being told that my account was delinquent that the interest for my credit line was due on Sept. 27 2018. Of course my funds are frozen.

Called Carmela again on October 11 2018 to discuss a letter received from RBC quote "Due to a discrepancy in the transaction, your account has been debited in Sept. 27, 2018 in the amount if $6000.00 for the following reason: 1040-Duplicate deposit." Carmela never returned my call (her customer service failed). Three hours later, Kevin of RBC returned my call instead of Carmela. He apologized and explained that RBC decided not to process any balance transfer checks effective August 30 2018 and no letter sent to their client to that effect and why Carmela and Cheryl (being asst branch manager and a manager respectively) has no clue. The customer service I received from both Carmela and Cheryl are negative reviews.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Deposited a cheque to my business account from Another RBC Client. The full funds were available to use next day and the cheque had cleared (was told that by the business teller at the bank). After waiting another day I needed the full amount of funds on the account to make payments. After using the funds and a few days pass by I check my account using online banking to see what I had in my account and saw that the cheque that was cleared and deposited into my account was reversed back into the customer's account.

Got a call from my customer to inform me when they went to the bank and found out that the money was back into their account (them being from out of the province couldn’t reissue a new bank draft). After a few minutes of talking to them to get this all figured out and sorted out, I called the 1800 number on the back of the card. Waited about 20 mins just to find out that they had reversed the funds back into the account it came from for being issued as a stop payment when my customers clearly said they didn’t do anything or knew what happened. Told the lady on the phone that by law if the cheque has been cashed already they cannot reverse the payment on the account. After she couldn’t figure out to tell me hangs up. After a few hours I can’t access my account anymore to transfer the money to my account that my customer sent again by e transfer this time.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I recently received a USD wire into my US Personal account for $61,856.33. All of my accounts were restricted to "deposit only" access, and I am able to access neither these funds, nor any of my CAD accounts or other products with RBC. I have visited my home branch in person, and was told the funds are under investigation. The bank refuses to provide any additional information, and will not give me a timeline for when the funds will be made available. Essentially, all of my money with RBC is being held hostage for an indefinite period. I am unable to pay credit cards or any bills, since all of my funds (not only the wire under investigation) are being held. Furthermore, I have received may five figure wires in the past from the same source as the wire being investigated. I have no idea why RBC is arbitrarily causing issues with this particular wire.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I am attempting to apply for a unsecured, personal loan through my bank, RBC. I have accumulated debt which is "not RBC related" and additionally debt which "is RBC related." I am sure most RBC readers can relate to similar financial circumstances. I shared a pleasant conversation with the customer care representative from the RBC customer care center in Mississauga today. Over the phone. I don't live in Mississauga. She was prompted to call me at home because I registered a complaint file with the "BBB." My complaint relates to my declined application for a loan. She explained at the beginning of our conversation she does not have the authority or power to approve loans. She explained to me when I mentioned the department, "The RBC Ombudsman" didn't actually do anything for me because the RBC Ombudsman wants clients to contact the RBC Customer Care Centre before we contact the Ombudsman.

They want me to contact the Customer Care Centre first?? I have on many occasions. I have a long list of notes to secure messaging through online banking. RBC clients know what I am referring to when I mention secure messaging. I had to keep records because an RBC representative can offer one thing over the phone and something different the next time you speak with them?? She explained even if I was approved for an RBC loan, a loan to consolidate my debt, RBC would consider a loan to pay down my debt which "is RBC related" only. She offered the loans specialist would consider "all aspects" of a loan application. When I heard her offer the last point, I replied with, "...no they don't consider ALL the aspects... " However, she politely listened to everything and offered to contact my RBC home branch to re-apply my loan application.

I declined her offer to re-submit the loan application because I wanted to wait until my credit score updated then negotiate a loan with another loan company. She offered her first and last name with a contact phone number. I genuinely thanked her by stating what she offered over the phone was more information than I had received from the RBC Ombudsman and the RBC Loans Specialist. Did I make any real progress though? My creditors outside RBC can't help me with further loans because I have "...too much RBC debt on the books... " on the other hand, RBC will not offer me a loan because "...I have too much debt on the books outside of RBC... " This is an interesting "catch 22" situation.

My advice. If you are drawing a disability income like I am, do not accept the RBC Visa Card or an RBC line of credit. My credit score is not in arrears, there are no collections on it, or legal files against it. But, I am not eligible for a loan. I am a good client with RBC, my sole bank, having deposited over "$200,000" in my chequing account since I first opened it in 2008, and have investments of $25,000. Sure, I have paid rent, food and the usual interest and service charges from that $200,000 but, I am simply another fish in the large financial market RBC mines every month. I wish everybody success with their cases with RBC. Don't give up.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

5 trips to the Golden Mile place and 6 calls to customer service to set up a chequing account. First cheque was lost but when found no hold, second cheque deposited was placed on hold, bank card deactivated 3 times, website access denied after cheque was placed on hold. Hassle trying to get cash for monies in prior to the second cheque. The constant follow up and trips and time lost beyond disappointing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have a RBC credit card that I’m enrolled in the hardship program. I have been paying my monthly arrangement on time and wanted to continue the service. The agent was rude, accused me of being a liar, did not explain why all these questions needed to be asked. She kept me on the phone for 45 minutes. I felt she lacked people skills, communication skills and the decency of being a human being. RBC needs to train their staff on the basics of customer service and the value of clientele. At the end of the day we are all people and respect is a two-way street.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I called RBC auto and home insurance department and first the automated system stated the wait time would be half hour. Within that time frame I was able to drive to an RBC branch for a withdrawal, stop and purchase gas, then return home and still end up waiting for an 1 hr. I was annoyed and hanged up then tried my luck again to only find out that the wait time is now 1 hour and 30 minutes. Seriously?! RBC please provide customers with the option to schedule a call back time. It's not fair for customers to sit for hours and wait for your business when there are other competitors out there offering such services.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

The credit card people told me, when I queried a double request under "authorized transactions" that it was the fault of the merchant but they wouldn't let it go through. The next day it did go through and took away my remaining credit on the card so various bills were not paid. The credit card people were rude and unhelpful. For example: a. Please increase my credit limit or refund the money immediately. "Can't. It's procedure." b. Can I speak to your manager, please? "No, it's procedure and as I'm following it, they'll just tell you the same anyway." No focus on the needs of the customer at all.

Then, although many other banks increase the $2500 limit for people, RBC will not! They proudly say "we like to just watch the other banks and see how it works". Not a thought for people like me who travel and need to conduct business online. The rest of the world allows transfers online which take about 60 seconds and are up to the equivalent of about $80,000 each day but Canada and RBC especially only $2500???

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Reps an RBC Mortgage agents have misinformed us. Even with emails to prove it. RBC never wants to take accountability for its employees. Even now we paid off for our car over a year and it's a hassle to get it updates with the insurance company which bears the name RBC - they say RBC insurance is not really RBC. Well no matter your partners and should not have difficulty updating a car that was paid off over a year ago. When we were buying our second house we were given in email different loan amounts on RBC letterhead then they changed it and said mistake like mortgage officer we don't honour mistakes by our employees. What a joke even though I have it on RBC letterhead signed by their loan specialist. No accountability for their system and employees is RBC.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Today, I went to the Royal Bank in Penticton. They have just amalgamated 2 branches, same number of tellers for a population of 30,000 people. There was a lineup of 15 people, out the door. So I decided to go to the bank machine to deposit a cheque. The machine took my card and wouldn’t respond. I asked a staff member in one of the offices if she could get someone to help me. I stood by the machine. In a few minutes, it make some noises but my card did not appear. A teller came out and rudely insinuated I put the card in wrong and that she would now have to put an out of order sign on it. I asked, “Well what do I do now” and she rudely said I need to cancel my card then get a new temporary card. I asked if she would expedite my issue as the lineup was long. She replied she could not.

I got in line and when she went by about 10 minutes later, I asked her name, she rudely said, “Just a minute”...she came back and gave me her first name only and said that the assistant bank manager was aware of “what was going on”. I waited another 10 minutes still the lineup, hadn’t moved much. The same teller “Marcia”, came up to me and handed me my card without an apology. That was 30 minutes of anguish for what? I didn’t understand why she didn’t just get it in the first place and why I had to be singled out for her bad day. With the amalgamation of the two branches and very long line ups, customers should be treated fairly and with respect! Clearly this woman needs some training on service if that is the business she wants to stay in.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I went to Montreal mid July, before leaving I sent £2,000.00 to my family member who lives in Montreal thinking it was the best way for me to have the money already in Canada so I could relax knowing that everything was sorted. The money left my England bank on the 21st of June and I was told it would take 5 to 10 working days, after waiting for more than 6 days me and my family kept asking the respective banks for the money but without success, I contacted my England bank asking for answer but the only thing they could do was to sent emails to the RBC which never answered any of the queries from my bank in England.

I went to my holiday using my credit card and residuals of my savings but the worst thing is to be counting the pennies and not been able to enjoy your holiday. I came back from my holiday, my bank had compensated me for the damages but the bank in Canada had not even pay the money into the account it was send. My family member contacted the RBC and complained about the way this issue was handled and the money was put into the account the following day (04/08/18). Just a reminder of the bad professionals, control, audit and management this entity has. Extremely disappointed as the banks I am accustomed from England are serious and very professional. What a disappointment.

Original review: July 27, 2018

We opened two accounts with RBC. Jamie ** of the Salmon Arm branch spent 3 hrs with us, first opening a savings account and then a US high interest US account. She was very patient and walked us through "online" banking explaining every step in a detailed but user friendly manner. She explained various services, costs, disadvantages and advantages in a very friendly and professional manner. When we departed we had Client Cards, Canadian Mastercard, US high interest savings account and US Visa card applications, and had deposited monies in all accounts. As we travel every spring to Arizona this will relieve us of the extra financial expenses we have incurred in the past. Thank you Jamie.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I got a mortgage from RBC, and I was told by their mortgage specialist that I needed to open a bank account with them to receive an incentive she claimed they were offering. So I did so, with a very unhelpful person named Gary ** at Royal Bank Plaza in Toronto (it was an account that required a credit card and another bank product to have the monthly fee waived but when I tried to contact him to set them up, he ignored my messages). Anyway, when I tried to active my new ATM card by doing an ATM transaction, it told me I had to go to a branch. When I tried to log in to my account, it locked me out. When I went to a branch, they told me that my account was overdrawn.

I asked, "How could that be? I've never used this account." They told me that there was some mortgage charge for over $250, which I hadn't been told about, and that the promised incentive, which was supposed to have been credited when my mortgage began, was nowhere to be found. They sent an email to the mortgage specialist, who didn't reply. I sent an email myself and left her a voicemail message and no reply. When I call RBC's customer service number, they say only she can deal with it. Beware. This is how this bank operates - by lying about incentives to get you to open a bank account with them, then taking money out of it without telling you, and ignoring you when you try to get them to fix it. I haven't even made my first mortgage payment yet and I'm already regretting going with RBC.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have been really upset with services provided by RBC a few times. Last time it was the RBC customer service. I thought the customer service is meant to be helpful. Instead, I felt myself kicked off. The man on the line was speaking polite sort of but the meaning of what he was saying was arrogant. He certainly was not helpful. I was left puzzled and angry with his attitude towards my problem.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Worst bank ever. Their accounts are always kept in an unordered fashion, they want to NSF you quicker than making any complete payment. I've had NSFs for amount of less than 2 dollars as well. They are generally very unhelpful with almost any situation, this bank just takes no caring on how long you have been with them!

Original review: June 12, 2018

So I opened an RBC bank account because they had all these pretty advertisements about being a good bank. What a joke. Upon opening it, I was told that there are no holds, then there was one, I complained, and was told once my cheque from my work had been cleared a few times there would be no hold. To this day, after 4 months of receiving cheques that have never had an issue, they still hold MY money. After complaining multiple times, I have been told by several rude managers and equally rude staff, that they can choose how long to hold my money for based on my personal attitude. I dealt with one kind staff member after dealing with a manager who told me instead of giving me $100 when I cashed my cheque, she lowered it to $50 because I was upset. This nice staff member told me she can waive holds, any teller can, so for a while she was and it was great, all my bills were paid on time.

Then I go in with another cheque, and she said there's a note on my file from a manager named Anne from the Woodgrove branch that said I'm never to be given my cheque in full upon deposit. A max of $100 is to be given. Then a manager at that branch named Nicole approaches me and tells me that it's a privilege to bank with them, and that they can choose to hold however much for however long they'd like based on their personal feelings towards me. So now I am playing catch up on hundreds of dollars of late bills because RBC wouldn't release my cheque for 10 days.

Currently I cash my cheques through a payday loan facility, losing $70 a cheque, just so I can at least pay some of my now overdue bills on time. I'm shopping for another bank obviously. None of my complaints have been answered or taken seriously. Every one of them tells me the tellers and managers are correct. It's a privilege to be given my own money in a timely matter. And my accounts will be frozen and shut down if I even complain one more time. Nice RBC. I hope this bank gets shut down. ASAP.

Original review: May 28, 2018

In 2017 after multiple tests I had quintuple bypass surgery, open heart. Although I have held the policy since 2005, and 5 days in hospital, with the surgeon's insistence of a minimum of 8 weeks recovery, and notification to the Bank, I was advised the policy only covered hospitalization. When I requested a copy of said policy it was not provided. Upon insistence it was provided 45 days later, with provisions and maximums not declared at the time of agreement with the original policy. My premiums to the time of my operation were 2478.24 dollars. The maximum payout being 36,500.00 dollars. Not part of the original policy. I'm not sure if I am the only one this has happened to, I would like to start a class action suit against the bank if your circumstances resemble mine. After all the Royal Bank has a dedication of too big to "FAIL".

Original review: May 10, 2018

I deposited a certain amount of money in my account. After a few days when I checked my account, I found that a debit of over $1000 has made and I am not aware. I called the my RBC branch. They did not know about it. On the next day I went to the bank, asked where did my money go. The spent over an hour and came back to me saying that the teller by mistake "credited $1000 into your account and we have adjusted it and we did not consider informing you." I told them that the teller counted the money in front of me then she went to the machine to count them again and then gave a receipt etc. But everyone wanted to secure their RBC colleague. I was asked to leave the bank. I tried at all levels in RBC but no one wanted to help. I closed my account and now decided to go to the court.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I've been living in Canada over 4 years and maintained a very good credit score (760+), 1st appointment I made at Kingway branch for credit card and other financial information he asked me to meet him after I get my permanent resident, after 6 month I when I went again (Surrey branch) with my permanent residence (Canadian Experience class category) which he don't understand what category 'CE' means so couldn't issue me a 1000$ credit card and suggested me to apply for other bank credit cards (American Express issued me 7000$ card). And gave zero information regarding home mortgage (which was my primary concerned). Time to change my bank with whom they treat their customers with respect.

Original review: April 16, 2018

When we began with RBC our advisor Miles ** said the TD Securities was selling us investments that only benefited TD. Now we are 10 years later and RBC has done the same thing. In the last 2 years he has moved our investments around several times which he hadn’t done in the last ten. When we got our last statement and saw we only made 2% last year we needed to talk. His excuse was that US hadn’t done well and that is part of the reason. Well the US market in 2017 broke records. Some of our friends and other investors I knew had done between 7-9%.

Miles also told us RBC was charging us 2% to manage our portfolio but failed to tell us that RBC had hidden charges within their funds. He had all of our portfolio in RBC funds. After many years with RBC he had no explanation and said if we weren’t happy we could go somewhere else... and we have. We have felt used, lied to besides losing thousands of $$. RBC has no one you can report these guys to so this is why I am trying to tell others to be very careful.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Worst of all bank. Stay away from this bank. Whatever they say is crap. I went to the Long Branch branch of RBC. I asked her if I will get a credit card or not, she didn't answer my question. I asked her several times, she said, "Come some other time. We will talk about it." My credit score was 740, they did hard check on my credit and my credit score went down by 90 points and later they send me a letter saying it's disapproved. I don't meet their credit criteria. Then they provide their information like email and phone number and asked me to reach them if I have any query but never ever they answered my email and phone. Because of them my credit score goes down by 90 points and I didn't get credit card.

Their servants are crappy, dumb, ignorant. They don't treat you well. They keep telling you lies. Don't listen to them. In the end the financial adviser said, "Please give me 10 out of 10 in the survey you will receive from the bank." Are you serious? You guys dented my credit score so bad, I didn't get the credit card. You guys lie about the services. You don't respond to the emails and phones.

Original review: March 28, 2018

RBC thinks that it is okay to generate several withdrawals, at one time, bounce the pre-arranged debit, rather than decline a $2 charge, have their app present an incorrect balance available then charge $45 in nsf charges for the account being $1.71 overdrawn with funds readily available in the savings account. I checked the account on Monday and they did not issue an nsf charge until Tuesday evening. Then they refused to issue a waiver for the fee, stating I could have called in to have them transfer the funds, since I didn't they are entitled to the $45, which is higher than the $38 charge that they bounced. They are so sneaky and greedy, a billion dollar bank robbing clients blatantly. It's one thing if the entire account is empty but I have seen them move $$ between my accounts to satisfy their fees yet on this occasion they couldn't do that.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I have a mortgage with RBC since 1999. In 2008 I lost my job and ran my credit cards up to 30,000. I then got another job and caught my mortgage up and was work on my cards getting paid off and then it happened. I wasn't paying fast enough so they start taking random amount of the account. I went to money mentors. They asked if I wanted to file bankruptcy or pay. I thought about it for a while and decided to pay. About three months after I noticed a bill for 168.00 coming out of my account. When I ask about it they said it was for a loan I took out. HOLD FRIGGIN ON. I'M TRYING TO GET OUT OF DEBT. I didn't take a loan out.

After arguing because they couldn't tell me what date the loan came out. They couldn't tell me the amount they couldn't tell me if it was taken out in Ontario or Alberta. Nothing. So I keep on paying. So I was explaining to a friend who said to me that that happened to her sister. She did not pay her credit cards so the credit card company took a loan against her sister house and she paid monthly. So I went to the bank and asked if maybe that was what happened because I had paid money mentor's back in full last year and she wouldn't even discuss it with me. I'm so lost. I'm tired of all this. I'm not sure what my next move is. So for now I'm just paying off the extra 30 grand that is now down to 18,00.00. Wish me luck because I'm out of steam.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I deposited my paycheck at the bank on March 15 at the branch on King St in St Catharine's ON. The bank put my paycheck on hold for no apparent reason. I have gotten pays from this employer before. From March 15 to today March 19 I have been trying to get this resolved. I have called the call centre they said to call the branch. So I did. I spoke to Valerie at the branch. She transferred me to a manager's voicemail. I've left voicemail for Tim ** the manager. I have gotten no help or resolution with this issue. Thanks to this bank I can't buy groceries or do laundry because they have my money on hold.

Original review: March 17, 2018

This is the worst bank in the world. You are not protected against fraud and they don't monitor transactions or accounts, they hold you responsible for any transaction and accounts, they are negligent and don't do their jobs. I was robbed 2000$ from my account and they said it's not their problem and make a police report. This bank endorses fraudsters with no punishment and blame the clients. Stay away from RBC. They say trust your bank don't worry and I got robbed now. I'm very worried. Can't trust this bank.

Original review: March 16, 2018

RBC is the worst bank in Canada history, they charge service charge and if you do not pay it... Consumers are taken to collection agency, even if you try to make a settlement they refuses to accept it. What a disgusting set of people to deal with in RBC. RBC START TREATING YOUR CUSTOMERS FAIRLY, WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS WRONG!!!

Original review: March 15, 2018

On Nov 4 my bank card was stolen which resulted in two individuals depositing empty envelopes and withdrawing money. With 8 transactions they managed to withdraw more than 2000$. I viewed pictures with the OPP and have no knowledge of who these people are. The OPP have pressed charges. After having numerous conversations with bank managers and the fraud department I have been informed that this money will not be refunded because I had given my pin number to my daughter in law in October (I suffer from depression and was not able to go to the bank that day). I was treated like a criminal by the staff at the Royal Bank.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Fraud Department doesn't believe my claim of fraud, rude service - I called with a genuine claim that someone had spent over 500 CAD using my credit card. After about 15 minutes of being forwarded to 4 different agents, all of whom asked for the same information in order to access my account (absurd, especially after electronically giving card information that of course was asked again by each of the 4 agents). When I finally spoke to the final agent and after explaining my situation, the agent asked me to 'stop playing games' and whether or not I was the one who originally made the payment, way to give your client the benefit of the doubt. What kind of accusation and language is that?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

On Friday January 19th at 07:58 AM I made a $900.00 CASH deposit at the ATM at the Hurontario and County Court branch of RBC. At roughly 9:45 AM I realized I needed to take back $300.00 and attempted to withdraw it from the ATM only to be told that funds were not available. I went into the branch and spoke to a very condescending and dismissive teller to clearly hates her job and sees customers as a nuisance and was told that the funds "might" be available the following day. I called client services at the 800 number on the back of my client card and informed them of the ATM and unprofessional staff issues. Client services made all the right apologetic noises and assured me they would pass along my branch staff concerns and my funds would be available Saturday AM.

Saturday January 20th I went to the County Court branch ATM and my funds were still frozen. Called client services and they said the branch was holding it up, called the branch and they said client services were holding it up. When I pointed out the disparity in their stories the story changed again to the Fraud Department was holding it up because it was a larger than normal ATM deposit. This was a CASH deposit made Friday before start of business and somehow I am supposed to believe that a Federally Regulated Financial Institution cannot manage to open an envelope and verify that it has CASH in less than FOUR DAYS?

Basically unless you have seven figures on deposit with RBC you are garbage to them. Branch staff treat you like crap. Client Services (the 800 number on the back of your client card) are an impotent and confused waste of time. And I have also emailed the RBC ombudsmen but I would imagine that will go nowhere either. Avoid RBC at ALL costs and do yourselves a favour and look at DUKA or another credit union (you might still get treated like crap, but at least the fees are lower).

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Hi... I am so tired to calling for this bank. I was holding more than one hour around 9 pm on Thursday 11th. Today 1pm still holding for 45min 15th. They have to keep more customer service. This bank make good money. Why they can't keep more ppl. Service in bank takes also so slow. I tried so many RBC banks. Same issue. But when we go TD calls or services are the best. I have my business account is with you. Otherwise I never will keep you guys. Still holding... very poor service. If you ask 0 to 10 what rate... it should be 0.

Royal Bank of Canada Company Information