3.25/5

292 Royal Bank of Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2019

I have business account with RBC. Where I deposit cheques every month and all the cheques are from same one client! They been putting it on hold for 24 hours! Which was ok and now they started holding it for 4-5 days. I tried calling customer service where there’s no option to talk to Real person. Has to talk to their virtual assistant like stupid and then Finally it says he can’t help me so he gonna transfer my call to representative and no one answered call. They been putting me hold for 2.5 hours in process of transferring to someone real. After 2.5 hours phone got disconnected without talking to anyone. Switching my account to another bank. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH RBC.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I applied for a mortgage at RBC. They advertise that their mortgage approval takes from 60 seconds to 3 hours. More than 2 weeks passed and they even didn't notify me that it was denied. So I've lost a chance to apply at other banks where I believe I could get a financing easily. Because of that I lost a lot of money. Their underwriters simply have no knowledge how to work with customers. I don't recomend RBC to anyone. Very poor service.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have been RBC client for over 12 years, with the good background history with good income. I tried to apply for any service such as personal loan and line of credit but I was denied. It is a shame that a bank that I have no history with approved me for a very high amount of line of credit. I am thinking of switching over me and my husband both. I am so sorry to waste 12 years with Royal Bank of Canada.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I opened my account just recently at a branch in Dundas and Spadina last month. I plan to use it after a month, once I joined my next job at a new company. The advisor gave me a void cheque for the payroll direct deposit. I gave it to HR then receive my pay slip after working there for 2 weeks since I'm paid bimonthly. When I checked my account, I was wondering why my pay wasn't reflecting so I waited few more days 'cause there might be a lag or holding policy or whatever since it's a new account. I had to investigate if it's HR or the bank's fault.

HR confirmed everything to me like validating account number, other info and validating that money was removed from the company's account so it had to the bank. I talked to two tellers in a branch near my current workplace in Mississauga near Square One and they keep on confirming it's functioning properly and mentioned about a lag. So I waited for two more days again and decided to call RBC and the advisor confirmed that there's a "message" that the advisor (the one who opened my account) forgot to remove so I my pay bounced back to the company so I had to wait another week for my pay again since bounced money takes time again to process. I just wondered what's gonna happen if I didn't call or what if the company didn't notice this. So bad!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Fraudsters and scammer who steal credit cards work with RBC employees and inside people on RBC to allow high-risk transactions, RBC failed to flag 2 transactions for 4000+ and 2000+ each in short time span. RBC is not doing anything to stop transaction, block card or even charge back. Their security call center is in third world country. Never trust RBC again, they are under RCMP investigation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been banking with RBC for over 20 years, I have had 3 mortgages with RBC and have been a model customer. After my wife left me, I opened a personal checking account (previous was joint) and whilst doing so in the branch I asked RBC to transfer all the direct debits from the previous joint account to my new checking account. As I was in the branch doing this I wrongly assumed everything was completed. I work overseas and a few months after opening my new account I received a message from my daughter telling me I was in default on my RBC mortgage. I checked my account and the funds were there but had not been debited for 2 months. I immediately phoned RBC on a satellite from Libya and was told to go on line and transfer the funds to my mortgage account, which I did.

On returning home I applied for a refinance on my mortgage so I could release equity to pay off my ex wife, as the process proceeded I was informed I have been declined due to my credit rating. My credit rating took a hit due to the mortgage being in arrears for 2 months. Due to the state of my credit rating I was forced to take a mortgage with a 'B' lender which inevitably comes at a much higher interest rate, in my case it was 6% for the first year and 7% the 2nd year. I needed 2 years to rebuild my credit after it took the hit due to the incompetence of RBC and in addition has cost me in the region of $60,000 in additional interest payments.

Once my credit rating was restored I applied for a mortgage again, and I guess I really should have gone elsewhere after the first experience. Anyway everything checked out, my credit was excellent, my earnings were sufficient as was the equity in the property so it was all go, or so I thought. I received an email from the RBC Mortgage representative just before I left work in Norway to return home saying that no lawyer was required and that I just need to sign a few forms in the branch.

I arrived back in Calgary on the 27th of Feb 2019 and the mortgage was due for renewal on the 1st of March. Upon landing I sent an email to the mortgage advisor at RBC and said I was in town and heading home and asked should I drop by the branch to sign the paperwork. No response until after 6PM when she phoned me and I was told "you know I've hit a wall, right" I said 'no' the last mail I received everything was set and I just needed to sign the forms.

She went on to explain that everything qualifies OK. The problem is with my foreign earnings! Apparently RBC are not happy with my foreign earnings, but for the last 20 years all I have ever earned has come from overseas and yet they are quite happy to receive wire transfers every month into my account without any question. RBC had been working on my mortgage renewal since Dec 28th 2018, so it took 2 months to reach this decision and tell me. One of the reasons for the wire transfers is that RBC's currency exchange rate is 4-5 cents lower than anywhere else, therefore my salary is paid via a currency exchange broker in London as I gain anything from $1000>1200 every paycheck. I complained to RBC several years ago and the branch manager did match the market rates, but I was told this was a one time deal and he would not do it again, this forced me to find a broker that could offer the services I needed.

This left me in a huge hole with just 1 day to get another lender organized and RBC simply did not care, even though I was in this predicament due to their failures, in addition nobody in RBC has been held accountable for the huge problems they have caused me. Long story short, I approached ATB and within 3 days had approval pending a property valuation, the property valuation was completed on day 5 and by day 7, I had visited the branch and signed the paperwork.

Mortgage done and at the same time saving me $1600/month due to the competitive rate I have been given!!! The manager at ATB could not have been any better and the experience there has led me to open a personal and business account, get a personal and business credit card and close everything down at RBC. I am extremely bitter at the treatment I have received at RBC and very angry that nobody has stood up in my defense or anyone has been held accountable for their failings. I would strongly recommend anyone considering banking of any description to avoid RBC, there are better options out there and I found one.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have a small business and for over 10 years 2 bank accounts with RBC. I have received an inactive account notice on a business savings account stating that it has been over 2 years since I had activity on this account. In the past 2 years I have had interest deposited monthly and I deposited 70K in Nov. The reason for this letter and the notice that I will be charged $20 inactive fee is because I haven't used my client card on this account. I use my client card number almost everyday to access my accounts. How many businesses actually use a client card to do business banking? The whole premise of this letter and impending fee is insane. I will be closing this savings account.

I will also begin the process of establishing another bank for my business. RBC does not want small business. Their customer service was useless and when I asked for a manager I was given a new call center person who was condescending and when I asked for his manager I was told his manager does not speak to clients. My recourse is is talk to my branch manager. My branch manager does not know the difference between a bank statement and a client activity statement. How far do you think I will get speaking to her? Want a business bank account? Stay clear of RBC.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

4 years ago I was stupid enough to get an RBC West Jet rewards card. I always made my monthly payments. 6 months ago my son's father was unable to pay child support. I called them and they said they are writing off the card to "a third party collections agency." I said ok. For the past 3 months they seize 80% of every deposit, they seize child benefits, everything they can. I've lost our car over this, I'm unable to pay bills, buy food for my kiddos, unable to function, really, this has been the worst experience, the lowest low blows. The credit card had a 2k limit. They have taken $3,100 in 4 months. RBC IS THE WORST.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I make 100,000 ++ and own my own home and have very good credit. I applied for a home line of credit 16 WEEKS ago. Yes you read that right. They had an appraisal done and no issues there at all either. I’m not looking to borrow more money, just to tidy up some building/renovation debt. I get no calls, no updates, only a reply if I go over the agents head and still no answer about my financing. I get, I’m busy... I’m not at the office... I’m away on holiday... I will be sending all in for approval. I will check when I’m back to my office???

RBC doesn’t care about customers at all. I’ve gone over this agents head and as far as the ombudsman and all they do is defend and pat their employees on the back. There is absolutely no reason that my secured line of credit should not have been approved in less than a week including the appraisal. I hope a lot of people read this and pick any bank except RBC for your mortgage or line of credit. I should have just gone to TD right from the beginning. Now that I read these reviews about RBC today I feel sick to my stomach for believing that RBC was a reputable bank.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I booked with them yesterday to setup a business account. Today I get a phone call. "Hi, we're from ADP." "The payroll company?" "Yes. We were given your information by RBC." The booking agent for RBC had asked me on the phone if I wanted to discuss payroll. I felt it was a sneaky way to get a referral commission by exploiting my information. I have an appointment on Thursday and best believe I'm giving them the what for. I think they just lost my business.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have had a RBC Visa for over 30 years. I am trying to keep my credit card use under control so I hadn't used it in over a year. It had zero balance throughout that time with a credit limit of $10,000. Suddenly I was informed by my credit/identity protection company that RBC had closed my Visa account in December 2018. I had no notification or knowledge of this, and my credit rating took a huge hit and is now at a "poor" rating, after having been "good" for decades. I called to find out what happened and was told that the annual fee of $20 (due in August apparently) hadn't been paid so they closed my Visa account. I told them I knew nothing of this fee and no one had contacted me to notify me of either the fee or the closure.

They said they had tried to contact me by phone on a few occasions but no message was left and they did not try to contact me by letter or email. So - without having made ANY ACTUAL contact with me - they closed my Visa account, a card I have held with them since I was in University. This is terrible, uncalled - for and pathetic service by one of Canada's major banks. I am livid and am spreading the word that RBC is the worst bank in Canada. I withdrew my bank accounts from them about 8 years ago due to bad customer service and now they have let me down again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We were taken advantage of and lied to regarding a credit line. When we renewed our mortgage we got a credit line as well. Come December the rate doubled!! We were never told and now they say our rate when we signed was just a promotion!! Branch manager said he'd look after it, he didn't, we now pay twice the interest. Should BE CRIMINAL!!! The last response from them was "I do appreciate that rate adjustments are not pleasant" REALLY?!? They doubled the rate without notice, CROOKS!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

First of all that temporary card you can't do ** all with which made it so I couldn't get a rental car when my car was stolen with my debit card in it. Had to wait 7-10 business days for a new card but any other bank actually has their systems up to date. Not to mention the fact that the RBC atm machine at RBC still wouldn't accept my card. I hate RBC more than any other bank. STAY AWAY FROM GETTING AN ACCOUNT HERE.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

It was so easy for a hacker to gain access to my account through a mere text message. I lost $900 because of it. I tried TD first, but their security was good. Then RBC fell victim to this 3rd party...

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

My mother passed away on June 18, 2017. I just wanted to write to you about the experience my Dad who is now a widower with his bank. His Bank the Royal Bank illegally took money from his account without permission to pay off an line of credit $50k. Then the jacked up his mortgage by $500 dollars a month and wouldn’t decrease it for a year. Even though 3 times we filled out paperwork and they said they would and then he had a line of credit that he was planning to get address to which he had a week ago. And the bank closed without permission.

He is 81 years old. He cashed out his RRSP to have some cash on hand for expenses. The bank has constantly lied to and manipulated saying one thing doing another thing and doing things that are illegal saying it’s bank policy. I have looked up the laws. I’m writing to you because I am hoping that you can help him and shed some light on how evil they are and the people who work there have manipulated things for their benefit. It is just mind boggling what they have done and tried to get away with. It is amazing these crooks are in business especially with all these reviews. Government. doesn’t care though all the care about just like the bank is lining their pockets. Sick and evil what these SOBs do and get away with.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I reported a fraud whom I paid after an online shopping. I called them right away after I learned that the site was fraud. All they do is keep telling you get a report from the police to show it's fraud and email it to us. When we had our report we wanted to send it to them but they said they don't have that address or whatever and that they can't refund us until they have the report. It's been a month and still no refund and when we call again they said, "What's the case number" and all. The same thing over and over. Still nothing.. What a shame to this bank. Very slow in helping their customers and the customer service people are rude. They don't really care about our concerns. I hope someday this bank will be bankrupt. They have poor service.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Do not fall for their iPad **. I was with TD everything running so smoothly and RBC asked me to come back. They told me I just need 2 payrolls to enroll. This was done Sept 12 2018. Dec 12 2018 still nothing on my iPad after numerous calls emails etc. I finally heard from branch manager who said sorry because I was with RBC 2 years ago I dont qualify for iPad. So no letter nothing saying this. In fact when I went into RBC to open new account they used my old info from before right there in front of me and they never said, "You dont qualify for it" and kept saying, "6 weeks you will get iPad." 12 weeks later after no word on iPad I called time after time for them to tell me this. I changed EVERYTHING payroll auto withdrawals etc just to get screwed by RBC. Stay away from them. Once they get you they no longer care.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Never fall for RBC promotions. One rep named Manpreet called me at 10.30 pm on June 12th, promoted to open a checking account saying I would get an iPad once I set up two pre-authorized payments through the new account. She said I should not cancel the new account for a period of one year. After showing me the benefit of it, she over the phone opened my account, transferred my mortgage payments which were smoothly going through my TD accounts, and I authorized my Hydro payments also through it.

So far, despite my multiple calls to UPS and RBC, different reps tell different stories, most of them rude. And one of them asked me to contact Apple, though Apple has nothing to do with their own promotion schemes. They shamelessly charge a service fee for my checking account as well. Last guy I spoke to at RBC said he will send an email to my local branch manager to take care of it, and asked me also to leave at least a voicemail, which I did. And so far not even a courtesy call from the manager. So guys, do not fall for this hoax from RBC.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Can't believe in this day and age that a bank like RBC has to manually input data when you request a bank statement. Took 7 months to get bank statement and still waiting for the rest of it. They lost my money and wants me to sign a bond of indemnity so they can look for it... Do you believe this?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Disgusting Practice in RBC Lundy’s lane, Ontario. My father passed recently and my mother set up an appointment to transfer all my father’s funds over to her account and to add myself as joint holder, suggested by her lawyer, in case something happens to her I can step in to pay her bills... Etc... Which prior to my father’s death they both came in together to discuss this. The representative at the first visit sends my mother home to think about putting a family member on her account. Then we come back again today to get this done, I work full time. Don’t have time for multiple visits, it’s her account and she’s asking me to be added if she needs it down the road. The representative again questions her, seriously.

Then he ask for my information, does a credit check on me, takes all my personal bank information like I’m some criminal... I was furious, how dare he treat me like some elderly scum offender, like I’m going to steal my mother's money and go to Vegas. How dare he obtain my personal information and history. I don’t have an RBC account and after this treatment my mother is looking at pulling her money and heading over to CIBC where we did the same 3 weeks ago by phone with no hassles, came in signed papers and brought in death certificate, etc... Disgraceful, unprofessional treatment by bank advisor on November 23, 2018. He knows who he is, he bragged about his wife working for Canadian tire fraud unit. Sorry sir... We will be looking at pulling out of RBC.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Over the phone for the security questions, their questions are baseless. No concerns with the identity of the person. Just confusing questions. The representative was so rude and barely knows how to communicate with client. And then denied to process credit application because he said “I don’t think your answers were right”. On the other end TD Trust took one day to approve it.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I had an RBC employee cancel and apply for a new credit card without my knowledge or consent. I had been at the bank for a completely unrelated cash transfer however, when I left the employee had not closed my profile and proceeded to manipulate my accounts. I have gone through all of the channels at RBC with little concern from them. Adding insult to injury I recently learned that this employee was promoted! Appears they not only condone this abusive behaviour but reward it.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

My name is Muralikrishna **. I opened my checking account recently. Deposited cash in 2 consecutive days, got the receipt with updated amount. After 2 weeks, they hold one of my deposits. When I call customer service, response is so irresponsible. They are very rude. My issue is not resolved yet. Never experienced this type of issue and this kind of customer service. Please think once again before you open the account.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

We were flooded in 2017 and after a lengthy negotiation with the Government we chose to demo and rebuild our house. We had a balance left on our home line which gives the bank the right to block any demolition. So they are. We have documented proof that the government will pay us over and above the amount showing on our balance yet the bank refuses to give us a bridge loan for 1 month and they refuse to give us a letter advising it's OK to demo. They are costing us money in interest and in delays in our rebuild only because they can. They have been more than obtuse in their reasoning. Anyway stay away these guys are bloodsucking crooks - By the way 20 year customer who has RRSPS with them covering more than the amount we needed to borrow.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

After 3 1/2 hrs with a 'licensed insurance agent' I believe that poor service is the norm at RBC. I have 5 vehicles with RBC and just removed 3. I only basic coverage on both and they cannot get that in place. There are options on my policy I did not authorize and their agents have no ability to address concerns in a timely manner. They have mailed me 2 policies since my calls began and still they cannot take a simple request and complete it. I am forced to spend a min of 1 hr per call (I start my calls with I with, I don't have an hour and they take an hour anyway). Call just to get it wrong again. I will be moving my vehicles as soon as I can find a better company to deal with and my shares and accounts will follow. This company will just let you down. Go somewhere else and spare yourself the agony.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Every so often I try to log on to one of my Royal Bank online accounts. I enter my account number and my password which I know very well. I get a message that says "that's not what we were expecting". After a few tries I usually just give up to try later. Next time I get the same message. What they really mean is "we have locked you out of your account". Maybe if they were honest and told me the truth "we have locked you out of your account" instead of "that's not what we expected" I might not be thinking about moving my accounts somewhere else. Once they sent me an email saying someone had changed my password. When I called them, it was them who had locked me out and no one had changed my password. Try telling the truth when you lock me out of my account instead of wasting my valuable time.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I Maria ** deposited 2 checks ($6000.00 Balance transfer check and $3000.00 a personal check) at ATM last Sept. 26 and 27, 2018 respectively. Unfortunately, I am unable to access my bank account at ATM. Went to a bank teller to get help. Waited for 1.5 hours (Barnett Highway Coquitlam Branch). The issue was not resolved and was being told to visit my branch (North Road Branch) to bring 2 pieces of ID. The RBC Barnett Branch check my ID already during my visit. Why do I have to visit my branch - North Road.

Instead, I called the North Rd branch and asked the customer service to transfer my call to a Branch Manager. Two hours later, the Asst Branch manager - Carmela returned my call and she was useless and have no clue as to why my funds are frozen. I visited the Barnett Highway branch for the second time, the RBC Barnett Highway branch manager, Cheryl has no clue why my funds was frozen and was being told that my account was delinquent that the interest for my credit line was due on Sept. 27 2018. Of course my funds are frozen.

Called Carmela again on October 11 2018 to discuss a letter received from RBC quote "Due to a discrepancy in the transaction, your account has been debited in Sept. 27, 2018 in the amount if $6000.00 for the following reason: 1040-Duplicate deposit." Carmela never returned my call (her customer service failed). Three hours later, Kevin of RBC returned my call instead of Carmela. He apologized and explained that RBC decided not to process any balance transfer checks effective August 30 2018 and no letter sent to their client to that effect and why Carmela and Cheryl (being asst branch manager and a manager respectively) has no clue. The customer service I received from both Carmela and Cheryl are negative reviews.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Deposited a cheque to my business account from Another RBC Client. The full funds were available to use next day and the cheque had cleared (was told that by the business teller at the bank). After waiting another day I needed the full amount of funds on the account to make payments. After using the funds and a few days pass by I check my account using online banking to see what I had in my account and saw that the cheque that was cleared and deposited into my account was reversed back into the customer's account.

Got a call from my customer to inform me when they went to the bank and found out that the money was back into their account (them being from out of the province couldn’t reissue a new bank draft). After a few minutes of talking to them to get this all figured out and sorted out, I called the 1800 number on the back of the card. Waited about 20 mins just to find out that they had reversed the funds back into the account it came from for being issued as a stop payment when my customers clearly said they didn’t do anything or knew what happened. Told the lady on the phone that by law if the cheque has been cashed already they cannot reverse the payment on the account. After she couldn’t figure out to tell me hangs up. After a few hours I can’t access my account anymore to transfer the money to my account that my customer sent again by e transfer this time.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I recently received a USD wire into my US Personal account for $61,856.33. All of my accounts were restricted to "deposit only" access, and I am able to access neither these funds, nor any of my CAD accounts or other products with RBC. I have visited my home branch in person, and was told the funds are under investigation. The bank refuses to provide any additional information, and will not give me a timeline for when the funds will be made available. Essentially, all of my money with RBC is being held hostage for an indefinite period. I am unable to pay credit cards or any bills, since all of my funds (not only the wire under investigation) are being held. Furthermore, I have received may five figure wires in the past from the same source as the wire being investigated. I have no idea why RBC is arbitrarily causing issues with this particular wire.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I am attempting to apply for a unsecured, personal loan through my bank, RBC. I have accumulated debt which is "not RBC related" and additionally debt which "is RBC related." I am sure most RBC readers can relate to similar financial circumstances. I shared a pleasant conversation with the customer care representative from the RBC customer care center in Mississauga today. Over the phone. I don't live in Mississauga. She was prompted to call me at home because I registered a complaint file with the "BBB." My complaint relates to my declined application for a loan. She explained at the beginning of our conversation she does not have the authority or power to approve loans. She explained to me when I mentioned the department, "The RBC Ombudsman" didn't actually do anything for me because the RBC Ombudsman wants clients to contact the RBC Customer Care Centre before we contact the Ombudsman.

They want me to contact the Customer Care Centre first?? I have on many occasions. I have a long list of notes to secure messaging through online banking. RBC clients know what I am referring to when I mention secure messaging. I had to keep records because an RBC representative can offer one thing over the phone and something different the next time you speak with them?? She explained even if I was approved for an RBC loan, a loan to consolidate my debt, RBC would consider a loan to pay down my debt which "is RBC related" only. She offered the loans specialist would consider "all aspects" of a loan application. When I heard her offer the last point, I replied with, "...no they don't consider ALL the aspects... " However, she politely listened to everything and offered to contact my RBC home branch to re-apply my loan application.

I declined her offer to re-submit the loan application because I wanted to wait until my credit score updated then negotiate a loan with another loan company. She offered her first and last name with a contact phone number. I genuinely thanked her by stating what she offered over the phone was more information than I had received from the RBC Ombudsman and the RBC Loans Specialist. Did I make any real progress though? My creditors outside RBC can't help me with further loans because I have "...too much RBC debt on the books... " on the other hand, RBC will not offer me a loan because "...I have too much debt on the books outside of RBC... " This is an interesting "catch 22" situation.

My advice. If you are drawing a disability income like I am, do not accept the RBC Visa Card or an RBC line of credit. My credit score is not in arrears, there are no collections on it, or legal files against it. But, I am not eligible for a loan. I am a good client with RBC, my sole bank, having deposited over "$200,000" in my chequing account since I first opened it in 2008, and have investments of $25,000. Sure, I have paid rent, food and the usual interest and service charges from that $200,000 but, I am simply another fish in the large financial market RBC mines every month. I wish everybody success with their cases with RBC. Don't give up.

Royal Bank of Canada Company Information