3.8/5 (874 ratings)

About Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

I have over 50 years of business and personal banking experience. I had personal and business accounts with the RBC from 1972 to 1991. No real problems. After a 28-year residence in the US, I returned to Canada. It was natural that I re-establish my accounts with RBC. My experience with RBC in the last 3 years has been atrocious. They have:

1: Overcharged me (compared to other financial services) for foreign currency exchanges.
2: Surreptitiously slipped an unmentioned "fee" into a Homeline account; and then billed interest on that amount.
3: Made it impossible to pay that Homeline account balance online.
4: Granted me a VIP status on my account at opening - then underhandedly introduced a $30 a month fee - without reason, or comment.
5: Added a $17 transfer fee to an amount deposited, in Canadian dollars, from a bank where I paid additional fees to waive that charge.
6: Billed an additional, unprecedented, $2 fee for a non-aligned ATM withdrawal - a withdrawal that included a $2 "origin bank fee."

7: Introduced me to "managers" that have poor comprehension, grammar and financial acumen- an indication of poor employment standards.

I am convinced that the Royal Bank of Canada is a traditional, greedy, dishonest, antiquated "bricks and mortar" bank that will continue to cheat and gouge its customers - as it has done in the past. I have moved all of my transactions to an online, 21st Century bank, one with which I am extremely satisfied. When my mortgage (which was reasonable) is renewed in a few years I will leave this bank forever.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

Long wait times, absolutely insane. They probably have few staff and no option to call customers back. The bank is really good in some ways but, when it comes to wait time, it's so bad. RBC should have an option to call people back please. Thank you

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

Absolutely pathetic Bank, run into some financial trouble the past 4 years being off on disability for the majority of it due to the illnesses. My credit card and credit line are what I had to rely on for the majority of the time as disability through my work pays next to nothing. Needless to say credit card and credit line have gotten out of hand, I've asked RBC repeatedly for help as I want to pay them down... They won't... Instead what they've done is raise the interest rate on my credit line almost 5% in the past 2 years... Once this company has you in debt they step on your throat to make sure you never get out of it. Like I said I've asked them for help and they refuse, leaving me really no choice but to file for bankruptcy. By the way I've been a customer of theirs for 37 years and it means nothing...

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

This company is a joke, lack of staffs and full of excuses. Every time I call the 1-800 to speak to someone, it is an hour wait on the phone. If you value your time, take your money and go to other banks with less fees.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

I have never experienced a more inept business than RBC. From the day I started banking with them five years ago, it’s been nothing but problem after problem. Most recently, I was traveling in England and my bank card was stolen. In order for them to mail me a replacement debit card to England, they had to change my mailing address to the UK, which flagged my account for being outside of Canada (I was traveling for 3 months and there is nothing illegal about that). As soon as I got back to Canada in July, I phoned them to let them know I was back in Canada and they changed my address back.

I confirmed 3 times with different people from the call center that everything was back to normal on my account. All 3 people said yes. Four months later, in November, suddenly all my assets got frozen and I could not access any of my funds. After hours on the phone with the RBC call center, which is a special kind of inept, I was finally informed that my account had been frozen because they were under the impression that I am still in England. This is after I confirmed with them three times that I am back in Canada. They told me the only way to resolve the issue is to come to the branch and fill out a form in person, stating that I reside in Canada. I did this on Wednesday. It’s now a week later and my funds are still frozen.

I’ve been given the run around by branch employees and call centre representatives alike. No one has any idea how to bring my account back to working status, meanwhile I have bills to pay and I cannot use any of my own money! As soon as I can get my funds out, I’m closing this account for good. RBC has had enough chances to prove themselves capable of doing their job.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Jorge ** a "Small Business Account Manager" has finally made me after 23 years as a client with RBC decide I deserve better than what this bank and this man provides. His service is disgusting. His knowledge is subpar. He takes days to answer communications despite the urgency. He has only been my small business account manager for less than a year but has been so late on responses, taken 6 MONTHS to approve a loan only to tell me several days later he was mistaken and I wasn't approved. He is rude, belligerent, ignorant and should not be dealing with the public let alone be supporting small businesses. I am now taking all of my 4 businesses, personal accounts, house insurance, home insurance, all credit cards and loans to Scotia Bank. The abhorrent behavior I've experienced at the hands of this man is almost unimaginable. Good luck in the future Jorge.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

After 12 separate calls being on hold over 9.5 hours in total, I have never had an answer from Disputes department. TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SPEAK TO ANYONE IN FRAUD/DISPUTES. See 100's of complaints here saying same thing. Three times I have given all information then after that, they says you need to speak to another department, then the call gets disconnected or you get message says too many waiting, call again, or office now closed call back in business hours but does not say what those hours are, in fact IMPOSSIBLE TO SPEAK TO ANYONE IN FRAUD/DISPUTES. Someone at RBC has decided to cut staff in this department and know we have no other option but allow these scammers to get away with it. After 17 years with RBC - I am appalled that they are.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

Like another reviewer, I have been a loyal customer for over 30 years, but recently, I have been treated like a second class citizen. I was talked down to and patronized when I had a couple of banking issues that I needed clarifying. It didn't matter that I had been a loyal customer for this long, they couldn't care less. They serve themselves, not the customer. I think it's time to change banks.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

I have to warn anyone who hasn't done business with RBC before, to not waste your time with this institution, they literally do not care about you or your valuable time. There should be a way to expose them for the way they are treating customers. I had an issue with them raising the interest rates on my line of credit to the highest percentage above all the other banks that I have have credit with and I have been a client with them for almost 30 years.

When I called them about it, not only did I wait on hold for over an hour, the representative on the phone told me their hands were tied as the system wouldn't let them offer me anything less. I expressed how disappointed I was in them over this and the fact that they are completely controlled by a computer system so there is no level of loyalty to their customers beyond the corporate suits high in the ivory tower pushing the buttons. Then I get a letter in the mail acknowledging my complaint and stating that it is closed with no further action. So basically telling me, they don't care.

A few days ago my husband's wallet was stolen and the thief racked up charges on his checking account using the tap. We called the bank first thing when we realized the wallet was stolen and the card was being used. We waited on hold for over 2 hours to speak to someone in the fraud department to dispute the charges, just for them to tell us they needed the police report number which we hadn't got yet because we were on hold with the bank for so long. So once we got the report number, we called the bank's fraud department back to give them the number so that they would maybe consider reimbursing the money back that was stolen. Waited on hold for over 90 minutes just to have the bank drop the call due to circumstances beyond their control as they claimed. Been on hold today for over an hour so far and waiting. Then I'm reading on here that many other people are having the same issue.

The funny thing is we called CIBC last night from my phone, while waiting on hold with RBC on my husband's phone and they answered within 10 minutes and cancelled his card and ordered a new one within 5 minutes. All while waiting on hold to deal with RBC, and still got nowhere. After everything I have read here and the experiences I have been through in the last few weeks with this bank, I believe they should be exposed and held accountable for their default in providing timely customer service and problem resolutions.

I will be moving all my accounts and closing all my credit with these criminals as that's exactly what they are, charging people the highest interest rates amongst all the banks, not providing customer service in times of need and wasting their client's time like it's free. Not to mention the fact that we pay to have these services available to us with their already high account fees, so they are stealing from us when we have to pay for this stuff and we don't get the services in return. As someone else on here already said, if I could rate a 0 or less, I would.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

There is more to this story than meets the eye. During my visit to the Royal Bank on October 11, 2022, I opened a business account. The assistant who helped me do this was very helpful and gladly assisted me. The first thing I did after getting home was being the account setup, which went smoothly. However, when I put in a client money check, the program threw me out and asked me to re-enter my password. This was done three times, and on the first attempt they said that my account had been blocked, and I should contact 1888, which I did. I was not able to unlock the account by the phone, I have to come at the bank the next day. After I explained the situation to the same consultant, he kindly agreed to assist me. After 10 minutes, she told me they were fine, and I could use my account. When I tried to enter the pin code on the first attempt, I was informed that the account had been blocked, call 1888...

The consultant on the phone said she was powerless, so I had to go back to the bank. The third time I came, everyone recognized me, thinking I like to go to them, or planning a robbery. It didn't take long for everyone to know me, understand what was wrong, and within three minutes an entire scientific council gathered close to this counter. There was a desperate consultant from this scientific convention who assured me that this was the last time and everything was going smoothly. When she offered to log into my account from their computer, I logged in and everything worked.

As soon as I got home, what you think? You are right I called them again, I was on the line for 2 hours, and then we couldn't help you, we didn't even have access to your account, someone blocked from your branch. It was the fifth time I was treated as a VIP. Nicole **, the queen of the bank branch, was the queen that wiped out all my knowledge of peoples. Having a blood pressure of 160 on 122 in the hospital surprised me. It seems like something supernatural needs to be sorted out. Why does your business operate in Saskatchewan and you open an account in Calgary? Why could you not open an account in your home city? I replied that I lived in Calgary, and what is the point of this question?

After my answering, I newer see too much rudeness and hatred in her eyes, I also smelled alcohol. I felt this smell from either her hands or from... It felt like I wanted to steal money from her, but I didn't want to deposit $65,000 in their account.... As a demonstration of her authority, she ordered me to sit on the sofa for two hours. I immediately called my lawyer, he told me to get out of there. As a result, I ended up in the hospital, I have never seen such shame, rudeness, and rejection of clients before. Bring your money to RBC and get rudeness and hatred in return. Our demand letter will be ready tomorrow, so we'll go to court. She should be fired, and I will create maximum publicity for her. I believe such people are a disgrace to the Canadian banking system.

Royal Bank of Canada Company Information