2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.4/5 (243 ratings)

About Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I have been trying to leave this bank for 3 months because they refused to renew my credit card, despite the fact that my permit was valid till the end of August and I had a letter from IRCC stating I was in the clear till September. I also received my permit well before the expiration of my old one. I physically went down to the bank to close my account and was told everything was done. That my credit card was closed, my accounts were closed and I was fine.

Fast forward a month later, I had a subscription charge on my credit card which I called to report in. I was told that I was lying, I had received and activated the new credit card that was sent to me. I have not used anything from RBC since July. This was awful, I was spoken to this way by two individuals. I asked about the chequing and savings account that was still showing up and if I could close it while I resolved the credit card charge, I was told if I didn't close them right this minute I would be charged (even though they messed up by not closing the account) and that it sounded like I wanted to bank for free. I was so disappointed I ever banked with them in the first place. This has been an awful and taxing experience. I have never been spoken to this way and I cannot understand why they feel the need to be so condescending to a client that's leaving. Thanks for spoiling my morning RBC.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

Do put your money in this bank. I have been with my personal account frozen for more than two weeks and nobody tell me why and when it is going to be solve. The Manager does not know why and the fraud department does not give you any answer. I am living a nightmare and tomorrow you can be the next one. DO NOT TRUST YOUR MONEY TO RBC.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I am shocked at the quality of service and the customer care we have been receiving from this bank. They have messed up so many things, are not even on the same page within their own dept and have caused us such stress since we’ve started working with them. These issues have not yet been fixed. Such a huge mistake to even considering them in the first place. If you want your experience to be pleasant and smooth, stay away from this bank.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I hate RBC. RBC’s attitude is to give money to people who don’t need it, but to screw every last dime from people who need some help. They recently raised the interest rate on my line of credit, even though my credit score has improved considerably – probably because I have been paying it off. I think their idea is to keep people permanently indebted to increase their income. When I enquired with customer service, their only explanation was that I was 'underpriced'.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I’ve dealt with RBC for over 30 years. I cannot believe the poor service you receive and how many times your banking can be messed up. My issues date back 30 years; mortgages have not been listed with the interest-rates agreed-upon, credit lines with different interest rates than agreed-upon (but RBC gave a $500 cash back which did not cover what we over paid). Visa cards that employees know nothing about and cannot help you or give you misinformation. The manager at the branch I was dealing with did not listen to my address so in the end three different visa cards were mailed out. I’m not even sure where some of them ended up.

My son went in to make an investment and the gentleman talked him into an investment and told him he would have no service charges because of the services he signed up for (I was present as my son was 18 & requested support). The service charges came and it took over a year to get this straightened out. I called today to make a complaint with the visa department and the person I was dealing with got frustrated because I could not understand a lot of what she was saying. I’m truly not sure if the complaint was ever made as what I asked her to read it back to me, she summarized and most of it wasn’t what I was complaining about.

I would recommend that young people look for a better option than Royal Bank of Canada to do their banking.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

We moved and the RBC Visa came a bit over limit. The statement is from September 08 with a $ 29 overlimit fee. So far No problem. I paid the very next day on September 09 in full like always and got a $ 29 over limit fee again. I called RBC Visa to ask why and did explain everything and the agent put me on hold for 10 minutes, then the connection broke. I called again and this Agent told me the first $ 29 fee is for my overlimit until September 08 and the second $ 29 is because my period is until September 08 and as I paid the very next day on September 09 there was still a overlimit. Last but not least - I got my statement, paid directly in full and got a penalty fee with an extra $ 29. RBC Visa IS NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY!!! NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

After being a very loyal and dedicated customer at RBC for over 50 years, I am appalled and disgusted with their poor customer service. Due to the negligence and poor communication by an employee I lost 5000 dollars. Prior to doing an overseas money wire, I was informed by the teller that if there was a problem, RBC would protect and guarantee the funds the same way a Visa card does. Trusting and believing the teller, I did the money wire instead of using my Visa card. Unfortunately the vendor I sent the money to was a fraud and never sent me the merchandise. I lost 5000 dollars. Although I was misinformed by an RBC employee, RBC would not admit an error or assume responsibility. Rather they lied and covered it up to protect themselves and their employees.

The customer service I received at the Bayview branch was beyond horrible. No one ever called me back. They ignored all my phone calls and emails, manager included. Shocking that a senior manager would behave this way. So disappointing to treat a longtime customer in this manner. They show no respect or compassion to loyal, dedicated, long time clients. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I'm a victim of fraud. One day, I got a call from Service Canada, telling that my SIN was used for some criminal activities. So these scammers want to move all my money into a safeguard account... I lost 3000$. The RBC couldn't help me. I didn't get any reimbursement. RBC CAN'T HELP VICTIMS OF FRAUD.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

What it’s like to be bullied by a bank. I am writing this to inform all potential and existing RBC mortgage clients. Unfortunately, RBC does not make it easy to switch mortgage lenders. I decided to shop around when renewing my mortgage this year and decided to take my business to a mortgage broker, who found us a great rate with Scotiabank. After submitting a payout request on August 9th, RBC of course never responded to this request. I called to find out why, and they said that they never received it when in fact there was the fax confirming it went through. Moving forward, RBC now provided us with an email to send the request to; which was done on August 23rd. RBC continued to NOT send out the payout request. At this time, my mortgage was put into an open mortgage by them at an interest rate of 7.5%. We had to make 3 payments of this interest rate before we could no longer keep up with the payments.

When I contacted Guida at RBC she said my mortgage still looked to be active with them. I made the decision to then stay with RBC solely because they were NOT sending the payout requests and we could no longer keep up with the payments, which I explained to her so she was aware of the situation and the predicament I was in. She also said she could not backdate the payment at this time but had opened a request for it and once she spoke to her manager (Rosa) there could possibly be something else they could do in terms of compensating me for the extra interest that was charged during the time I was in the open mortgage.

On September 1st we signed a renewal form with RBC because STILL the payout request wasn’t going through. They seemed to have forgotten however to mention to me that in fact they did receive the payout request on August 23rd and the mortgage would in fact be paid out to Scotiabank now. Why wouldn’t they have told me this prior to me signing the documents? Or prior to submitting the documents? I felt pressure to renew with RBC since we couldn’t financially keep up with the open mortgage payments since I am currently not working. Now guess what? There was of course a penalty I am stuck paying to RBC because I have left my NEW closed mortgage that I had just signed on September 1st.

When my mortgage broker called me, to say “hey I thought you renewed with RBC, why did Scotiabank just receive your mortgage” I was shocked. There was lots of back and forth, ultimately I had to speak to the branch manager Rosa who tried to tell me now the penalty was 13,000$ for leaving RBC and that she would look into it further and see what steps could be taken from here. Her words immediately made me sick to my stomach. 13,000$, this is a lot of money, a lot of money that we work hard for and can’t just be tossing around like nothing. After calling the mortgage line and speaking to my broker; they reassured me the penalty was not 13,000$ and 1300$ (which mind you is still a lot of money - considering the 7.5% interest rate as well which brings me to just under 1900$ in extra penalties).

I continued to wait for Rosa’s call, we spoke on September 13th, to tell me again the penalty would be 13,000$, I told her I was told it would 1300$ and she still insisted that it was 13,000$ until she went and got her paperwork to confirm she was wrong. It was almost as if they were trying to scare me into staying because they could “easily remove this penalty if I stayed”.

I felt bullied, bullied by a bank. What is this? We teach our children not to bully others only to grow up and bully adults? Rosa proceeded to ask what rate scotiabank had given me, and said I could get my mortgage backdated if I stayed, like I had originally asked for and was told they would look into it, now all of a sudden could happen seamlessly. If you want to be bullied into a decision and hung out to dry please take your business to RBC, otherwise I strongly suggest you choose anyone else but. Thank goodness for social media that I can voice what's happened to me so it does not happen to someone else. Otherwise, this would continue to happen to others.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

As a relatively new small business we chose RBC Express to extend administration of account reconciliation and account payments to our accounting resources. From the beginning our onboarding of RBC Express was complicated, slow, and remains 3 years lately in various stages of completion. The service itself is highly secure since every function of administration is locked behind RSA token requirements, or secondary approvers. Even the ability to modify one's own mobile number is prohibited, and must be done by "anyone other than yourself".

The telephone customer service representatives are reluctant or unfamiliar with making changes and frequently refer our questions back to our RBC Account Manager who does not have the access or ability to administer RBC Express. We spend countless hours each year finding ourselves at a dead in the RBC Express maze. If you're looking for a product that is secure, then this is it. If you're looking for a product that seamlessly integrates with your internal processes and has a more fullsome onboarding experience - this is not it. I cannot think of a single reason why I would not be provisioned to receive payment approval alerts, and instead have them grow stale in the queue.

Royal Bank of Canada Company Information