2.7/5 (169 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Royal Bank of Canada

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Not good bank. I have checking and saving accounts, mortgage and credit lines. Several times I applied for overdraft increase in my checking account but got I refused. If I have 50.000 credit line in the same bank RBC, how it can me refused. When I have time I transfer from credit to debit to avoid overdraft charges. If I miss and forgot RBC definitely will take advantage and will charge me overdraft. There is no option to make automatic payment to that account from other internal account. If there is option bank should explain to client but not hide that information from client and later charge.. as compare with other banks. My strategy stay away in future as possible. I do now want to have a feeling that I am being robbed. Bank should appreciate its client and give him flexibility instead of restricting client's activity and charge every step.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

When I call RBC every time my call waiting time more than 30 minutes because the call-center people they’re not doing good job down there. Doesn’t care customer. It’s nothing with a RBC. It’s call centre manager not doing don’t think about the customer. Anyone boring home? Call RBC your waiting time longer than 30 minutes.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I have been with RBC for over 20 years. I have a mortgage, LC's, CC, savings, checking accounts and investments. My recent experience with RBC has been horrific to say the least, definitely unethical. I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Trash call centre, never picks up, 2+ wait time in general queue, then gets transferred to specific department waiting another 45 min. And a dumbass in fraud department can't even tell from a debit or credit amount, confused by transaction code, and posting/transaction dates.. At the end they placed me on forever hold. Not once, not twice.. I called back 8 times over 7 hrs span, everyone in Fraud department ended up placing me on forever hold. (2 hrs something per hold and I ended up dropping the line.) When I call back and asked to speak to a manager, the guys refused he doesn't understand my case to transfers, forcing me to waste my time again to repeat for the 8th time. He refused and eventually hanged up on me. My fraud transaction was never looked into. Wasted my entire weekend trying to get ahold of someone. Trash bank...

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

We went with RBC for our mortgage because I always had the impression growing up that they were the "premium" bank had the best reputation in terms of customer service. We're so, so disappointed. We got a good rate but that's about it. The mortgage process has been a string of unanswered emails, rude one-liners, unclear terms, hidden fees that get charged without notice, and representatives who clearly take no pride in their job and do not care about the client.

I can't count the number of times that I've called to follow up on something that they didn't address in an email, only to be told that they are "in the car right now" or "haven't opened their laptop yet that day". I work a client-facing job myself and would never dream of talking to a client this way. I can't even imagine how much commission they are making on this mortgage. The whole experience has been very disappointing and I think we'll be looking elsewhere when it comes time to renew. RBC no longer has the shine that it used to.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Have a concern regarding Visa card. The first person I spoke to on the telephone unable to help me. Pleasant but unable to help. Wanted to speak to her supervisor. She is not allowed to put me through to her supervisor. I must wait two or three days for a return call. Except this is Christmas. I shall be interested to learn when I receive this return call. Everything still up in the air. No resolution and I have to wait two or three days. As that will bring us to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and then the rest of the weekend I doubt this return call will come before at least a week. I have been a customer of RBC since early 1970's and feel very shocked at this very poor level of customer service. Customers definitely deserve better.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

It's by far the worst bank I've ever dealt with! The employee are rude and unhelpful. Their security system is very weak (never trust them on your money as it maybe hacked and stolen in a blink of an eye). Once they blacklist you, the best thing to do is find another bank as you will remain in blacklist until the last day of your life even if you deposit millions of dollars on your account.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I've been with RBC since I was a kid. They have treated me well up until recently. I have a car loan with them and all they have been doing is harassing me lately. They claim I have late payments when I have made all of them paid and up to date. Over the past month I've been getting calls for payments they made up saying they haven't been made, effectively tanking my credit. And their response was well look into it. They don't care about the customers anymore. They just care about how much money they can screw you out of.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I've been with RBC since I was a teen. It used to be great, now it's absolute garbage! I've had to call them on multiple occasions because I kept getting locked out of my own personal banking account, which I found weird because I've never forgotten any of my passwords. After I had received a new credit card, I activated it using my online banking and every time I've tried to use it, it won't work and RBC has put a hold on it...

I've been trying to reach them over the phone about it for over a month now - they put me on hold for hours. I finally get to speak to someone and then the person forwards me to someone else, which just puts me on hold for another few hours and no one picks up! There was one day I tried to call them while trying to buy gas, my card didn't work and they straight up hung up on me.. I thought maybe the call dropped, but I never received a call back from the woman I was talking to. I'm going into town this week and closing my account, because this is just ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Long story short took over a month to close out a loan and send me a confirmation of loan closure that I paid at my branch in cash. The inefficiency and dragging of their feet is embarrassing. Will be doing my best to not do business with them in the future.

Take a Mortgage Quiz