2.9/5 (207 ratings)

About Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

We've been a client of RBC for eight years and it's been nothing but an uphill struggle. We're posted to do $2m this year and I can't even speak to someone on the phone. Do you call that leadership or even customer service?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I am facing capacity to pay issues. I have not missed a payment in 7 years with RBC, but covid has impacted my finances very hard. I called customer service just to ask for a refinance of my debt. You would think with historically low interest rates or even the fact that they would want me to be able to keep paying my loan they would help me. Instead they offered to increase my interest rates if we refinanced. They did not offer any other solutions. And when questioned, they said it is to manage risks. After a 30 minutes of looking online, I secure a new loan with another company with a 1% decrease in my interest rates. I am now going to close all my accounts with RBC due a lack in customer service. This is not the first time they do this to me. They dangle the carrot to get you as a new customer but when you are signed up with them, good luck for any help.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

Why does the Royal Bank go out of their way to make sure customers cant speak to anyone at the bank. Telephone waits are horrendous and designed to make the caller give up. Hire more people. You cannot send them an email.. Hire more people. You cannot talk to anyone at your local branch unless you drive across town.. And then you have to make an appointment which could be a week away. I am going to change banks.. Seems the only customers who matter to the Royal are millionaires and billionaires. But they get to talk to someone at the bank right away. My wife has left the Royal and is impressed with her new bank.. The credit union.. who encourage you to call and the investment person even gave her a card with her # and extension. Wow. I'm going to bank there. I have been with the royal since the early 70's.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Con: 19.99% interest. Pro: points I can actually use for stuff like gift cards And don't have to wait years to build enough to claim.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I got a car loan with RBC back in 2019. I do stand up comedy and live entertainment. Well with Covid-19 shutting down the world my job kinda has been canceled out. I called rbc to see if I could lower my payments so that I would be able to keep my car. They went on to explain, "Well you are in such a new loan. We won't do anything to lower the payment but we can lower the interest rate from 9% to 8.5%."

When I finally was able to get a hold of the department where I can give up my car they asked, "Well why are you giving up your car? Is there anything we can do?" I said, "Yes lower the payment." Of course they said, "No. We can't do that 'cause your loan is so new" and that I should have planned ahead in case I lost my job. I'm sorry I didn't predict a pandemic would happen that would shut down the world but thank you for the tip. I owed $38,800.00 on my car. Now they want to add fees and fun stuff saying I owe them $42,587.98. Well good luck with that cause I won't be paying you a single penny. Good luck with the auction.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I was told if I opened an account with RBC that I could open overdraft at ANY time I felt like. I was on CERB when I opened the account. Didn't matter. Flash forward 4 months later, I apply for overdraft and am told, "Sorry but you're on CERB you don't qualify. But we're still charging you fees even though the cheque hasn't come in." They lied to me to get me to open my account, put me on a ridiculous monthly fee program. Then the services they PROMISED, they have no gone back on, and when confronted with the facts. I said this, "You said when I need overdraft, call you guys and you'll help me out." So the lady only focuses on the first part of what I said/ "give us a call" but refused to acknowledge the second part of "we'll help you out". When I confronted her about that she actually chuckled and doubled down on bank policy. The same bank whose policy is to put a 7 days business hold on CERB cheques, because they aren't "verified".

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I have phoned this leaching BILLION dollar company several times and each time their customer service is nothing. They blame Coronavirus for not answering the phone. I called and was given a 4-6 minute wait time, I finally hung up after 45 minutes.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I never miss a payment in full on my credit card, so I find it offensive to pay 19.99% for 2 months to the credit card company for a payment in full 10 days late. This is the first time this has ever happened. After realizing the missed due date I called RBC customer service to see if it could be mitigated. When speaking to the agent she was evasive on my request of trying to get some forgiveness on the 19.99% interest. When asking for her name she hung up on me.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

After waiting hours on hold the call dropped! No one called me back so I had to contact again but by email this time. Issue is still not resolved. The "business" that charged my Visa is not legitimate and was only authorized to do a one time payment. But they charged a recurring fee instead. A dispute is in order and I wrote them up on **.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

We had one day to transfer my daughter's funds for school via e-transfer. We visited the branch and did our due diligence. Something went wrong and the school did not receive the funds. We called asap and RBC customer care said it went through - it did not and yes the address was correct and yes the money was there. With my daughter's seat on the line, "customer service" hung up on us three times without ever speaking with a real person. They have messed with not just our money but our lives. Does anyone at RBC understand the connection to people. We have no voice and they leave us with no service. And so what... I write a little complaint on some forum somewhere...powerless... So in summary I know this review will go nowhere... You got me rbc, bravo.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

If you are talking about my bank... the Royal Bank... I have been a customer for 30 years.. They are amazing! They have always been very friendly and helpful.. This is why I stay with them and would not change banks.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Terrible customer service. Primitive IT services. Cannot do online purchases with bank card which is stupid. Transactions limited to $1000 for 1st 3 months so cannot pay rent. If I'd known this, I would have gone with TD bank or something. Online banking is not very user friendly. They say that there is an app but when you go to download it from app store, it doesn't work. ** bank and I would not recommend it. Stay away.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I switch banks so therefore started using RBC rewards card. I have not accumulated sufficient points to really see an advantage to other cards. Since it's a no-fee card, I assume they make it more difficult to render points. There is a good variety of choices, just personally nothing for me as yet.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I went into the branch in Terrace B.C. Canada on Approximately Dec. 22 2019. I wanted to cash a cheque that my company wrote for me, because auto-deposit was delayed. I didn't have ID with me. Rarely, but it has happened before. With other tellers, their response was, "not a problem Donny". But on this day, (a busy banking day), The teller who I'm 99% certain her name is Teresa", told me in a derogatory tone that "No! We can't cash a cheque without ID!!!" I started to explain to her that I had cashed cheques here before without ID, and began pointed out at least one teller with whom I've done so. She raised her voice to tell me to lower my voice and that she didn't like my attitude!?!! I couldn't believe it. I am not an aggressive person. I'm calm and obliging. I was however, desperate to have my cheque cashed before Christmas. ??‍♂️

I again tried to plead with her to reconsider. She told me she doesn't have to cash my cheque, it's up to her to her, and to stop talking while she reviews my account! About 10 minutes later she decided she would cash it. But not until she let me know in a very derogatory fashion, that it's up to her, she is in power and she made a big scene of accusing me of having a bad attitude. Now every time I go in there, she does the same thing. I intentionally speak in the softest of voice about my personal banking. She intentionally starts disclosing every deposit and withdrawal and auto-payment in the loudest voice she can. (My personal banking is nobody else's business. But she seems to want everybody within her range of loud voice to hear).

March 2nd, I went in again to cash my income tax return. She did the same thing, (as always), raised her voice to tell me not to raise my voice. And told me again, (as always), I'm not allowed to speak while she is reviewing my account! I asked to see the Manager, and she told me "No," I'm not allowed, I have to speak with her! I've been laid off due to Covid 19. But I'm returning to work at month's end. I hope to have enough money to have a lawyer witness what I say is true. I feel I'm being slandered.

Original review: July 7, 2020

This bank is the worst bank I have ever tried working with. Tried opening an account with them for my business and it has been nothing but a nightmare! I opened an account online that required me to make an appointment to come in and finish the process. There was absolutely no appointments! This plus the rude service from the start made me to go another bank which has been a way better experience.

I am now on the phone trying to cancel the account they havent even finalized but are sending statements for... I have called now a SECOND time because your first employee hung up on me after acting like a total **! I have never talked to someone in customer service that was that rude from the moment the conversation started. I have never dealt with a customer service worker that rude before and that's a shame because RBC does banking for people! So not impressed. I do not recommend this bank and will be telling everyone I know considering this bank to go elsewhere. This bank treats their customers like crap and makes everything 10× more difficult than it should be. That is not okay! Do Better RBC!

Original review: June 30, 2020

Used to cash in fraudulent Cerb payments. Phishing, scam, spam phone calls. Bad conditions applied on shared accounts in Quebec. Customer service not available over the phone. (Stuck on waiting line, after receiving an representative they hang up on you.)

Original review: June 27, 2020

The life insurance agent at RBC Fares ** offered me on several occasions to enroll in the life insurance with RBC as we used to play tennis together, each time I declined and asked him not to talk to me anymore about enrolling to life insurance as I am interested. To my surprise I received an email & package by post thanking me for enrolling to life insurance with RBC. I complained to RBC for being enrolled in something I didn't agree too nor signed or gave my consent for it. It appeared that the agent Fares ** had my personal information that he misused & he put his wife Credit card on the account hoping that once I am in front of the reality of being enrolled I will accept it & provide my banking information from then.

When I confront it him, he told me I should not take it as big deal, it is a common practice in the financial field!!!! So basically in order for him to meet his targets, it is ok to enroll people without their consent or signature and misuse their personal information, this is absolutely a fraud. I hope RBC if they consider themselves a respectful institution to take a severe disciplinary actions against their life insurance agent Fares ** who caused too much stress to me during this pandemic that I lost my job in it.

Original review: June 23, 2020

A few years back I had all my investments with RBC. Over a 7 year period of time I did not hear from them regarding these investments. While talking to others about their investments I was surprised to hear that they hear from their advisor as many as 2 times a year. So I decided to go into the bank to find out who is looking after my investments and why I had not heard from them and generally why my investments really had shown little to no growth.

I was shocked to find out that no one in my bank was watching my investments and was even more shocked to find out why I had not been contacted. When I moved to RBC I was getting a number of calls regarding life insurance and a couple of other banking services that I neither required nor wanted so I asked that they not call me with these kinds of solicitations. I guess they decided that that meant I did not want to be called at all? Are investments different than solicitations? Not in their eyes. Staying with RBC for my investments likely cost me thousands of dollars based on what I am receiving now on my money with another advisor away from RBC. I guess my bad for not knowing.

Original review: June 16, 2020

During this Covid-19 pandemic, RBC is not doing enough to help its customers. With many businesses (grocery stores, pharmacies, etc) requesting for payment via debit or credit cards, RBC still levies the charge if the transactions exceed the limit. My account only allows a limited no. of payments via debit card so if I have to shop several times a month (which includes shopping for my clients as well) this limit is easily exceeded yet I am penalised for using contactless payment. RBC has NO sense of compassion as many are having difficulty making ends meet, yet they try to squeeze every last cent from its customers who use contactless payments. It appears that making a profit during this pandemic is a priority for them.

Original review: May 24, 2020

Loan Protector Insurance declined coverage. Took out insurance coverage on line of credit. Took Ill and ended disabled. Insurer told me that since I had completed the medical care I should go back to work and stopped coverage. Was bad enough they had made several requests for updates on my status as permanently disabled. Basically for what they charge should just have taken out a simple insurance policy of term. Issue High Blood pressure. Rupture ended with plate in head and shunt under brain. Basically like a stroke for treatment. So now I have gotten past the stage where I was basically out. This took place over Dec 2012 Through July 2017.

Original review: May 22, 2020

On April 30th, there was a removal (Deposit Correction") of $2,000 from my 90 year old mother's savings account. I have called RBC numerous times, sent them numerous emails and waited on the line for at least 30 minutes to talk to someone from Client Care. I keep telling everyone I talk to/email at RBC that my mother's account never had a deposit in the amount of $2,000 and the money should be credited back to her account. As of May 22nd, I have received no answers and the money has not been credited back into the account. Regardless of whether it was a mistake on the bank's part, or fraud, we deserve an answer and the money returned. The saga continues.

Original review: May 20, 2020

While physically incapacitated and without access to my online accounts for 4 months, I made arrangements with a friend to proceed to the local branch to physically make the bi weekly payment of my auto loan. I repeatedly call the 1800 garbage # to make sure RBC was aware of and in understanding of the situation. Still, my friend was repeatedly told by branch staff they just did not like my payment method and turned away. Prompting even more calls, at this point directly to the branch. Each time listening to the situation, apologizing and promising to accept any future attempts on my behalf....HELLO MORONS! I'M TRYING TO PAY MY LOAN! So, once I was physically able, I went to Royal. Opened an account and preauthourized all future loan payments. Problem solved!

Wrong...rbc tells me the account is in arrears. Wrong again rbc, I have a rcpt fr all payments made. Upon actually looking, you know...with eyeballs!

They literally find a payment taken, a rcpt printed but with the amount having never been applied to my actual loan. Let's just say it was a bit embarrassing on a professional level on their part. I ask for a statement of all transactions posted to the loan account. Well I guess they don't just have tedious legal documentations the account customers money lying around at rbc...that stuff takes time so I'm assured a call to advise me when my info about my money is available...to me. They never call...but in the meantime I make payment arrangements with the barely cognitively functioning dept. You know...not cause I actually am in arrears anymore but because no one will actually do anything to solve the issue. Then...they proceed to start taking random amounts on random days thereby causing external financial issues with budgeted payments to other institutions going nsf.

Yep. They go in my ** account, take what they want and I'm never asked authorization. All under the premise I'm in arrears despite making every payment. The total on hold from as many as 10 calls since March 1. =about 10 hrs, often during work hrs. Transferred to incorrect dept. About 5 times. Spoken to like I'm an idiot about 4 times. Attempts to reconcile account at branch 3 times amount of time missed at work in dollars about 300 hundred bucks. Amount of times my account has been debited without my consent 3. Nsfs incurred 3. That is literally about half of the completely incompetent, utterly ridiculous, pompous, arrogant, ignorant service I've received in my time in a whopping 3 months of rbc. Wake up morons...this is not your money...it's ours.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I deposited a cheque then wanted to transfer some funds into another account. Because the entire cheque didn't clear, they charged me a $5 overdraft fee... despite the transfer staying in another account in Royal Bank; I never actually spent the money or really dropped below my overdraft limit. I am trying to get the fee back. I feel this is a cheap trick to steal money from me. Watch out for RBC... I'd recommend other banking options.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I have received a government cheque due to the covid19 situation. After finally getting aid from the government. After 4 complete weeks of not having income and being the proud father of a 13 week old baby girl. I was told to avoid unnecessary movement in the heart of the pandemic in Montreal! I went to a smart ATM machine and deposited the cheque. It distributed a receipt with the whole cheque as proof. IT, being smarter than most of the staff I have spoken to and more helpful too.

Thinking I avoid all the hassles being 5 am before people are really out and about. Normally I have access to all of it but for some reason I went to the store to finally get food for me and my baby girl and I was only allowed total take out 100$. Outraged I called and thought tomorrow it will all clear because the lady, CS rep, THERE IS NOT HOLD ON GOVERNMENT CHEQUES!

Exactly 24 hours later I call them outraged and to be told by a smart **, by the name of SAMY I Montreal (French speaking) doesn't want to transfer me to manager. I call back and make sure to speak with a sup. This is insane. Not one of the 4 Cs reps I spoke to had a Supervisor on hand to deal with emergencies. All 4 in different locations.

She finally promises me, "Yeah I'll have a sup call you around 10 am EST" and before you know it, a moron on at 6 pm is as clueless and incapable of doing anything for me. Finally ends up telling me, "Yeah it's going to take 4 business days." But what I find it more than suspicious and next level thievery. My cheque is frozen, yes my government cheque, from their SMART ATM, proving it's in fact a GOV cheque, they still take out their monthly fees. STAY AWAY FROM RBC. Every branch across Canada I have been to is unbelievably miserable. Not the way to treat a longtime customer.

Original review: April 14, 2020

I went today to the Sherwood Park, Baseline Branch, and I found they are restraining customers to do transactions in the till rather they send people to do it via ATM. They are restricting my freedom and liberty to choose the way of doing transactions. They are acting with paranoia doing this. I wonder if this is a branch policy or RBC policy or Provincial policy or Federal policy? If you put in place measures for social distancing, you are not acting with paranoia. This reflects an excess of limiting/restricting usage of bank operations.

Original review: April 14, 2020

Called Visa on April 7; on hold for 1 hr 3 minutes. Called April 11; only hold for 50 minutes. Called on April 13. On hold for 1 hour 30 minutes. Last time I called at 8 P.M. I was summarily disconnected at 9:30 P.M. This is GARBAGE! I understand they are busy given current events; but if you cannot handle the call volume, either hire more people or extend your hours. One star is extremely generous. They deserve -10.

Original review: April 3, 2020

Went to do some online banking with my cell and my password would not work. So, I decided to restart my phone and then tried my computer web access. It appears they decided to "temporarily disabled your online access"? For what logical reason? I guarantee you my password was correct. So, was directed to call. Spent 27 minutes on hold, then when I was finally speaking to someone they transferred me to someone else! I wish the TD Bank in town didn't close down!

Original review: March 21, 2020

I changed my banking from TD to RBC over 20 years ago... It has been an agonizing 20 years. I have all our products with RBC (mortgage, substantial investment portfolio, insurance, RESP’s, bank accounts, US account, Line of Credit). Unfortunately RBC has not treated me as a valued client. They charged us $17,000 penalty when we built our house under a construction mortgage (1st draw paid the existing mortgage and they dropped this penalty on us)... They had no remorse in doing this. Now the latest we purchased an investment property and gave RBC another mortgage and they mislead us on the mortgage... Signed a day ago (under duress) during the world crisis and I asked to change as I misunderstood the mortgage...and was told “too bad, you should have read the document”... I am disappointed beyond believe and feel betrayed. I will be transferring my business to TD once I’m able to.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Have $120,000 in cash, 17 days now still can't get it. Asked Royal Bank to transfer the my RSP account, which was already in cash to a self direct account, on March 3...earliest they would make a appointment to sign the papers was March 12, got a email on March 19, said it normal takes 24 hours, but they are so busy, don't know when they will get to it... WHO THINKS ROYAL BANK IS FULL OF **. AND JUST USING CUSTOMERS CASH FOR THE VOLATILE STOCK MARKET TO MAKE MONEY... While paying me .01%... Yes 1/10 of a penny interest on the dollar. Remember it's already 17 days, still waiting... When they say it's normally 24 hours to transfer cash into another account.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I went there to withdraw from my account. I was told to wait outside of the building until I was called. I was given no indication of how long that would take and mind you I'm in a line during the corona virus pandemic. No information was provided, not even a note was placed on the wall to inform anyone of what the procedure would be. A very unprofessional and unwelcoming experience. When I enquired about the waiting time, I was told again that I was to wait until called and that the bank closes at PM and if I so wish I could return the following day. I was not given an estimate.

Royal Bank of Canada Company Information