2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.2/5 (241 ratings)

About Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Bank of Canada?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I'm a victim of fraud. One day, I got a call from Service Canada, telling that my SIN was used for some criminal activities. So these scammers want to move all my money into a safeguard account... I lost 3000$. The RBC couldn't help me. I didn't get any reimbursement. RBC CAN'T HELP VICTIMS OF FRAUD.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

What it’s like to be bullied by a bank. I am writing this to inform all potential and existing RBC mortgage clients. Unfortunately, RBC does not make it easy to switch mortgage lenders. I decided to shop around when renewing my mortgage this year and decided to take my business to a mortgage broker, who found us a great rate with Scotiabank. After submitting a payout request on August 9th, RBC of course never responded to this request. I called to find out why, and they said that they never received it when in fact there was the fax confirming it went through. Moving forward, RBC now provided us with an email to send the request to; which was done on August 23rd. RBC continued to NOT send out the payout request. At this time, my mortgage was put into an open mortgage by them at an interest rate of 7.5%. We had to make 3 payments of this interest rate before we could no longer keep up with the payments.

When I contacted Guida at RBC she said my mortgage still looked to be active with them. I made the decision to then stay with RBC solely because they were NOT sending the payout requests and we could no longer keep up with the payments, which I explained to her so she was aware of the situation and the predicament I was in. She also said she could not backdate the payment at this time but had opened a request for it and once she spoke to her manager (Rosa) there could possibly be something else they could do in terms of compensating me for the extra interest that was charged during the time I was in the open mortgage.

On September 1st we signed a renewal form with RBC because STILL the payout request wasn’t going through. They seemed to have forgotten however to mention to me that in fact they did receive the payout request on August 23rd and the mortgage would in fact be paid out to Scotiabank now. Why wouldn’t they have told me this prior to me signing the documents? Or prior to submitting the documents? I felt pressure to renew with RBC since we couldn’t financially keep up with the open mortgage payments since I am currently not working. Now guess what? There was of course a penalty I am stuck paying to RBC because I have left my NEW closed mortgage that I had just signed on September 1st.

When my mortgage broker called me, to say “hey I thought you renewed with RBC, why did Scotiabank just receive your mortgage” I was shocked. There was lots of back and forth, ultimately I had to speak to the branch manager Rosa who tried to tell me now the penalty was 13,000$ for leaving RBC and that she would look into it further and see what steps could be taken from here. Her words immediately made me sick to my stomach. 13,000$, this is a lot of money, a lot of money that we work hard for and can’t just be tossing around like nothing. After calling the mortgage line and speaking to my broker; they reassured me the penalty was not 13,000$ and 1300$ (which mind you is still a lot of money - considering the 7.5% interest rate as well which brings me to just under 1900$ in extra penalties).

I continued to wait for Rosa’s call, we spoke on September 13th, to tell me again the penalty would be 13,000$, I told her I was told it would 1300$ and she still insisted that it was 13,000$ until she went and got her paperwork to confirm she was wrong. It was almost as if they were trying to scare me into staying because they could “easily remove this penalty if I stayed”.

I felt bullied, bullied by a bank. What is this? We teach our children not to bully others only to grow up and bully adults? Rosa proceeded to ask what rate scotiabank had given me, and said I could get my mortgage backdated if I stayed, like I had originally asked for and was told they would look into it, now all of a sudden could happen seamlessly. If you want to be bullied into a decision and hung out to dry please take your business to RBC, otherwise I strongly suggest you choose anyone else but. Thank goodness for social media that I can voice what's happened to me so it does not happen to someone else. Otherwise, this would continue to happen to others.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

As a relatively new small business we chose RBC Express to extend administration of account reconciliation and account payments to our accounting resources. From the beginning our onboarding of RBC Express was complicated, slow, and remains 3 years lately in various stages of completion. The service itself is highly secure since every function of administration is locked behind RSA token requirements, or secondary approvers. Even the ability to modify one's own mobile number is prohibited, and must be done by "anyone other than yourself".

The telephone customer service representatives are reluctant or unfamiliar with making changes and frequently refer our questions back to our RBC Account Manager who does not have the access or ability to administer RBC Express. We spend countless hours each year finding ourselves at a dead in the RBC Express maze. If you're looking for a product that is secure, then this is it. If you're looking for a product that seamlessly integrates with your internal processes and has a more fullsome onboarding experience - this is not it. I cannot think of a single reason why I would not be provisioned to receive payment approval alerts, and instead have them grow stale in the queue.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

My husband had his wallet stolen Aug 17, 2021 while on holidays in Vancouver. We contacted the bank, we had dealt with for over 40 years, to get some form of relief, it was 1 comedy of errors after another, this bank had everything, but a small side of accts and visa I had opened at Royal about 2 years ago, finally with getting nowhere and sitting in a hotel room waiting for our relief pkg that was never sent to us in Vancouver, but to our home branch by error, we gave up. I called Royal Bank Aug 19th, 2021, spoke with Kelly, she was supportive, calming and yet confident, we had funds within 10 minutes. Unbelievable and amazing service. You must have this kind of backing when travelling especially during Covid, & the “cashless“ society we have become. Royal Bank you are 5 Star across the board!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I wanted to deposit a $US cheque in my cross border account. I scanned it in and it failed. I called the number listed and my problems STARTED there. Not only did they NOT fix it, they caused 2 new problems. In addition they didn't do the callback they said they would and lied in messages they wrote back to me. Most of the time I have been ignored. Weeks later, despite more calls and e-mails I have done for this, the problems THEY created have NOT been fixed.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I have been a "customer" with RBC for many years. I pay everything on time and use and have used a number of different RBC services. Due to my situation, I am unable to currently visit a branch to restart my PIN as I am out of the country. I used to be able to do this over the phone previously, but was told that this has changed. I was told that there is nothing that RBC can do for me. Perhaps this is the case, but it is bizarre that people are left in these types of situations. What if I did not have a husband who had access to his card? I have now requested to speak to a manager over 5 times. I am told that someone will call when I call them and no one has called me back. It has been over 3 months. When possible, I will be moving all of my accounts out of RBC and wish I had done it sooner as this is not the first time that I have been sorely disappointed. Better to find a place that treats its customers seriously.

Original review: May 21, 2021

When I call customer service, there has never been a time in the last 10 years I don't get a 'higher than normal call volume." It's an insult to clients. Why don't they just say "We love our obscene profits so we won't spend a cent to employ any but the minimum number of humans to take your call. But we will waste as much of your time as possible by making you wait and feeding you a ton of information you don't want or need. You put up with it because you have no choice. We do it because we can."

Two: is so called 'English speaking' reps who can't speak or understand much of the English language. I don't care where they're from or what they look like. I care about not having to repeat myself 10 times and waste my time having to go over and over the same thing because the comprehension is not there on the other side.

Three: RBC seems to teach their employees that an irate customer is the same as an abusive customer and they can just hang up. This gives an excuse to every unprofessional, pouting snowflake to abuse clients instead of use some diplomatic self-control and actually just remain polite and transfer the call to a supervisor, as requested. Each time this has happened, the bank and/or the client rep has been at fault. When you make clients go through time waste and frustration to clear up credit card/RBC errors and issues, you are going to get frustrated, irate clients. Teach them to get some professional savvy and deal with that, fire them, or hire people who can actually do the job effectively and professionally.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I called RBC visa as I found an old card that was not activated. I wanted to know if the card that I am using is the replacement of this old card. This is the second day I called as I could not get someone to answer my call yesterday (3 calls in 2 days). First of all, the phone line was very busy & I waited for about 10 minutes before someone answered my call.

First rep - no idea, no product knowledge, didn't even give me his name, only said "hello" when answering my call. I had to ask for his name and in turn he told me his name and said, "You are calling RBC visa department". I got fully verified then I was put back to the queue without my consent... Waited on the phone for over 5 minutes until the 2nd rep answered my call.

Second rep - asked me to verify myself all over again. He told me he just picked up my call and there was no info from the 1st rep that I was verified. Told him the whole story again... Then he said, "Please wait as I have to transfer you to the specialist". Up to this point he was ok. Then I asked whether he works in the credit department and if so, why was I being transferred again! His tone totally changed and he became very rude. Put me in the queue right away without my consent just like the 1st rep. I waited in the queue for about 2 minutes to talk to the 3rd rep.

Third rep - asked me the last 4 numbers from my old card then she gave me info including the last 4 numbers of my new card & the type of card that I have. I was about to hang up and she asked me to verify myself so she could put a note into my account! I asked if she had not verified me why would she give me info about my card and some personal info. She said she was looking in 2 different systems and I was verified in 1 of them. So I said if I was verified in 1 of the 2 systems, why couldn't she look at the system that said I was already verified and pull info from there.

She said they were 2 different systems and insisting on me going through the verification again. I told her I could verify myself but would not as she's making me feel very unsafe about my personal information. She said not to worry as she's not going to write any comment on my account then. Be careful - This is how FRAUD could have happened!!! I think I rather deal with the branch from now on!

Original review: May 4, 2021

On April 4, we started the process of porting (transferring) our existing mortgage from the present house to the new property. We were told it would take 5 days. This was the first of many promises not kept. This also not the first time RBC didn’t keep their word. The last mortgage was finalized too late and cost us despite being informed over and over of the time constraints. We are now a month later with no end in sight and 13 days away from the closing. Once again, they have been informed and just don’t care. Do not go with RBC under any circumstances. You’re nothing to them and they don’t care how they screw your life.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I opened an Rbc account a couple months ago as I have a car loan with them. I decided as my car loan and the support was excellent I would change to this bank.... BIGGEST mistake ever, they require you have loan payment money 2 days prior to the loan, had spent some money out of my acct at 6pm, re-deposited by 7pm, car payment bounced due to me not having the funds solid in my acct for 2 days prior to loan payment. I then had to fight to get the $45 nsf returned and was told it was my fault. Now this month April 2021, they have taken 3 car payments.... Should be 2 and of course the 3rd one bounced, so now I'm fighting with them again, get this cleared up and I'm switching banks to one that doesn't require me to keep a certain amount in my acct days before a payment.... Worst bank ever.

Original review: April 21, 2021

As an international student, RBC is not the right bank for you. My credit card expired two months before my visa expiry date and RBC denied renewing my credit card. That means you have to live without credit card for a few months prior and during your Visa extension process which is just impossible. As a UoA international student advisor, I am gonna make sure every international student knows that.

Original review: April 20, 2021

I purchased a car in 2010 and got a car loan from RBC through the car dealership. RBC used to get their loan payments through a preauthorization from my BMO bank account. In 2016 I paid off the car loan in full and received a letter from RBC confirming the same. However, RBC continued debiting my BMO account for $10.49, which I never noticed until mid. 2020.

After investigating and the help of my bank, I managed to get proof that the funds were being requested by RBC Bank. I tried to communicate with one of RBC branches in my city. I received a call from the branch manager that this is an issue that I needed to resolve with BMO as RBC is not a part of the problem. The same happened when I tried to message RBC through their Twitter account. They refused to take my request seriously and investigate, nor refund me what was debited from my account the past 5 years. Finally had to do a stop payment request. Today RBC still continue to debit my account and still denying any wrong doing.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Went to my local branch to find that it was permanently closed. Luckily a passerby told me it had moved across the street. It was 4:30 and I am rushing to get a form filled in that had to be done by them in person before they close at 5pm. I don't have a printer but as I have been a client there for over 43 years, I made the assumption that they would print out a 1 page form for me there. I get there and am the ONLY customer in the bank surrounded by 5 employees standing around doing NOTHING. The teller tells me she won't print the form for me that I have the .pdf for ready to go. She says they won't print anything for anyone ever whether or not they are a client of the bank.

So I had to run to the printing shop, pay $1.24 to have a 1 page b&w form printed, then run back to the bank to have my bank account information filled out by her. While I am waiting I read the sign next to me about "being kind ... we're in this together". Apparently that doesn't apply to being a total pedantic ** to the customer by providing ** service and not being helpful in the least by refusing to print out a 1 page form that is directly related to customer's banking needs. It just makes me sick. I will be removing all of my accounts from this disgusting bank who is more than happy to make money off its customers but refuses to do the smallest service for their customers. "In this together?" Shame on you.

Original review: March 9, 2021

I have been an RBC customer for over 15 yrs and incidentally I never had to call their customer service till this year for anything major or critical. Now that a critical situation came up and have been dealing with their customer service for both banking and direct investing for 3 months now including their local banking advisor at the branch. Simply put, the service they offered is the despicable and frustrating and disgusting.

I have over 10 accounts across their product lines and never felt this level of disgust with any company in the past across north America. Their branch level advisors are a joke and has no knowledge or should I say, that they don't even know how do their job. And their over the phone customer service can't be described anything beyond worst and non existent. I am moving in all my accounts to TD and closing my business account with RBC as well.

Original review: March 8, 2021

Worst bank we have RBC. All type of accounts with them and in process to take our business somewhere else. After Covid it's impossible to get someone touch over the phone with them and worst one is RBC direct investing. They are playing with clients by using covid accuse for long time now. All you need call on number and will figure it out after couple of hours when continue to hear recording.

Original review: March 8, 2021

March 8, 2021 - This is the FOURTH consecutive day I am completely unable to access RBC's online banking due to their stated "technical issues". This is the worst of what have been a series of highly unprofessional and extremely inconvenient issues. After several decades as a client, it's time to close this account and leave this ** bank forever.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I have opened an account with RBC. After few days my account got locked, so I went to the branch they told me to bring a second piece of ID with something mailed to my address. So I went back after two weeks. Then they told me who told you something mailed we need something like passport as second id. At that moment I closed my account with them.

Original review: March 3, 2021

So recently I saw a ad for iPad for new customers and I was a fish who got caught in a trap by scammers. Shame on this company. Even though I'm still saving 200 bucks for ipad after a year of service charge I thought okay went ahead signed up but when I signed up it was a Sunday and the last day of the promo and they sent me email welcome to RBC and said I need to go to branch, show my id, so I booked a appointment, went in, showed my id, got everything set up and made 2 payments and set preauthorized payments which is the condition for approval of ipad...Switching from TD it was hassle to call switch all thinking I will get a ipad then days later I called in to ask how come I never received any email. They said, "Oh you didn't sign up the day of promo."

I'm like I did it online on Sunday last day. They are like they can't help me so I called the branch then they got the manager. Still no answer. She said she will come with a good solution. So far nothing. I'm glad I didn't fully make this bank my main bank and still doing business with td. I will be closing this garbage bank soon. I use to complain about fees from td but I gotta say it's one of the best with service and use the investors platform with td amazing. My friend had rbc. He told me it's not good. Got him to switch over to td and he said rbc is way behind. Have to wait for 4 hours to do a trade so td rocks. Screw you rbc. I will be closing this account thanks. Don’t want headaches going to green again. Never felt so cheated but lesson learned.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

In the last 3 months RBC bank has overcharged me a total of $562.50 in banking fees. Yet my monthly account fee is only supposed to be$10.95 per month. I'm a disabled person on ODSP. Due to Covid 19 and being busy worrying about the health and safety of my elderly parents, and looking for a job. I didn't notice some of the charges til today when I had a chance to look at the account.

On December they charged me $196.25 in fees. January they charged me $136.25 in fees February 3 they charged me $140 in fees. I called their client care center and talked to Wendy she said that she can only refund$200 that is not acceptable!! Asked for management and was hung up on. I have not worked since November due to covid. So I have had to live on the CERB or Canada recovery benefits. So I can't afford these outrageous charges. I came to the branch on February 17 at 11:30 am. I spoke to Branch manager Chris ** who refuses to do anything about the issues. So I am now having to take them to small claims court to get my money back.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

As an immigrant who had the chance to enjoy banking services abroad, I can certainly tell that this bank is still using services and methods from 19th century, or it is more kind of hybrid with some from 19th, some from 20th. Unless you spend and lose money there are very few options that you can do at online banking. Online user interface is very poor you need to spend a lot of time to find what you are looking for. System is built to make a lot of money from its customers without giving any good services. You can easily open account in online banking however you can not close them, if you go to a bank branch to close they can not manage to close it. Transactions or orders are not instantly done, you have to wait a few days to see it in your account.

Many operations are manual with lots of error risk, rather than using computers (In 19th century there were no computers). In every occasion bank tries to take a fee from you, it does not matter how much money you have on their bank, they apply a monthly fee to keep your money on their bank. If you try to use phone banking you can not reach to a representative before at least 30 min waiting with lots of useless automated talks. Finally the worst part is: there is no alternate, all alternate banks are as bad as this bank so you have no better option, and Canadian Banking System does not let foreign banks to open branches in Canada as they won't be able to resist competitors with much better services.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Where I work, my employer pays in cheques, so I find using the app to deposit convenient. Then one day they put a hold on my pay cheque. I thought it was because of COVID, so I started going to the tellers. After a couple months of taking it in person, they inform me that they are putting a hold on my check even though I was in the branch. I threw a fit. 20 years as a customer and 3 years at the same job. The manager came and upped all my limits, so I could use the app again with no issues. 7 months and everything is great. Until yesterday. Deposited my pay using the app and they hold it. I go after work and they tell me that there is no record of the limits being increased. They’ve done the increases again, but it will be 5 business days before I can access my funds. I feel like I’m being targeted. I have printed proof of the increases from June. How do they just disappear??

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I try to keep my credit account clear, so I paid full balance and it was 0. By mistake my Visa payment was made twice, so I had overpayment of over $600.00. I decided to pay my another credit card with that. It was my money, BUT they charged me $3.45 as CASH ADVANCE. I paid it any way, because when I was cheated by a Vevo hearing, I wrote to the bank (about 10-12 times) I received the same message "to answer their questions", and I did. But after 3 months, still never received any results so I gave up. So I am not going through the same thing for $3.45. Thank you for having this site to let us get rid of our frustration.

Regards,

Mahnaz

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

RBC Brantford 95 Lynden Rd - management poorly equipped to support crisis situations of upset customers. They have a 3.5 google review rating... Management engaged in controlling behavior, intemperate browbeating, lecturing, berating, patronizing, antagonistic. Did not make social distance when asked. Poorly and unprofessionally dressed. Refused to provide a full name when asked. Did not admit to any of this to her superior (Community Manager). Brantford Community manager has very poor communication skills, ill-informed and fails to collect all information before making a judgment, then looks to place blame on customers while defending staff - hard for her to hear the truth or accept any wrongdoing or see issues within her staff. She is self-righteous and highly condescending escalating issues and antagonizing emotions...at the root to what seems to be becoming a systemic issue in the area.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

We've been a client of RBC for eight years and it's been nothing but an uphill struggle. We're posted to do $2m this year and I can't even speak to someone on the phone. Do you call that leadership or even customer service?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I am facing capacity to pay issues. I have not missed a payment in 7 years with RBC, but covid has impacted my finances very hard. I called customer service just to ask for a refinance of my debt. You would think with historically low interest rates or even the fact that they would want me to be able to keep paying my loan they would help me. Instead they offered to increase my interest rates if we refinanced. They did not offer any other solutions. And when questioned, they said it is to manage risks. After a 30 minutes of looking online, I secure a new loan with another company with a 1% decrease in my interest rates. I am now going to close all my accounts with RBC due a lack in customer service. This is not the first time they do this to me. They dangle the carrot to get you as a new customer but when you are signed up with them, good luck for any help.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

Why does the Royal Bank go out of their way to make sure customers cant speak to anyone at the bank. Telephone waits are horrendous and designed to make the caller give up. Hire more people. You cannot send them an email.. Hire more people. You cannot talk to anyone at your local branch unless you drive across town.. And then you have to make an appointment which could be a week away. I am going to change banks.. Seems the only customers who matter to the Royal are millionaires and billionaires. But they get to talk to someone at the bank right away. My wife has left the Royal and is impressed with her new bank.. The credit union.. who encourage you to call and the investment person even gave her a card with her # and extension. Wow. I'm going to bank there. I have been with the royal since the early 70's.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Con: 19.99% interest. Pro: points I can actually use for stuff like gift cards And don't have to wait years to build enough to claim.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I got a car loan with RBC back in 2019. I do stand up comedy and live entertainment. Well with Covid-19 shutting down the world my job kinda has been canceled out. I called rbc to see if I could lower my payments so that I would be able to keep my car. They went on to explain, "Well you are in such a new loan. We won't do anything to lower the payment but we can lower the interest rate from 9% to 8.5%."

When I finally was able to get a hold of the department where I can give up my car they asked, "Well why are you giving up your car? Is there anything we can do?" I said, "Yes lower the payment." Of course they said, "No. We can't do that 'cause your loan is so new" and that I should have planned ahead in case I lost my job. I'm sorry I didn't predict a pandemic would happen that would shut down the world but thank you for the tip. I owed $38,800.00 on my car. Now they want to add fees and fun stuff saying I owe them $42,587.98. Well good luck with that cause I won't be paying you a single penny. Good luck with the auction.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I was told if I opened an account with RBC that I could open overdraft at ANY time I felt like. I was on CERB when I opened the account. Didn't matter. Flash forward 4 months later, I apply for overdraft and am told, "Sorry but you're on CERB you don't qualify. But we're still charging you fees even though the cheque hasn't come in." They lied to me to get me to open my account, put me on a ridiculous monthly fee program. Then the services they PROMISED, they have no gone back on, and when confronted with the facts. I said this, "You said when I need overdraft, call you guys and you'll help me out." So the lady only focuses on the first part of what I said/ "give us a call" but refused to acknowledge the second part of "we'll help you out". When I confronted her about that she actually chuckled and doubled down on bank policy. The same bank whose policy is to put a 7 days business hold on CERB cheques, because they aren't "verified".

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I have phoned this leaching BILLION dollar company several times and each time their customer service is nothing. They blame Coronavirus for not answering the phone. I called and was given a 4-6 minute wait time, I finally hung up after 45 minutes.

Royal Bank of Canada Company Information