1.03/5
Based on 35 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

38 President's Choice Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 5, 2018

This company offers you a credit card and then cancels it for no reason. Even when your payments are current and not at limit? Poor customer service when asking for explanations. Feel like it's a money grab for their company. They approve everyone then cancel the cards and ensure you pay the entire balance off before you are allowed to apply again. Pretty good way to increase their company face value. Gets the financial world thinking everyone is moving to PC Financial. They should be worried about their back end and retention from the fall out of cancelled cards. May not catch up to them today...but it will. Watch your PC Products. They won't be on top for long, not after this type of discredit starts surfacing.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Due to unforeseen circumstances such as a car accident and job loss, PC Financial CHOSE to cancel my Mastercard even though I paid the balance owing in full. I have no problem admitting that I was late a few times with payments and went over my credit limit due to the car accident insurance deductible, I feel strongly that I should have been given credit for paying the balance in full of $810.

When I called PC Financial when a transaction was declined, they advised that the card had been suspended and was told to talk to the credit department. I was advised by the credit department that paying my balance in full would reinstate my credit card. I did talk to the credit department where I advised them that the least they could have done was to send me correspondence advising me of the cancellation of the card. As a result of PC Financial not showing compassion and misleading me, I have decided to boycott any company associated with the Weston name. All the negative reviews regarding PC Financial are well deserved towards this company and they would do well to review and change company policies.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 26, 2018

I have my PC MasterCard since 2017 with no issue then one day in April 2018 I discovered that my credit limit had been decreased from $2000 to $1600. Called the customer service and I was told that I had 3 overlimits for the past 2 months. Why they decreased my limit which I don’t see on my statements. So, in May 2018, I started paying twice a month totaling $550 and June 5 I paid $600 to avoid overlimit as they claim. At the end of the day I let it go and moved on. Then today, June 24, 2018, PC Financial reduced my limit again from $1600 to $1100 even though I had not defaulted on my payment obligations.

I immediately called customer service and I was told something must have negatively affected my credit score which would have caused the decrease in the credit limit this time and suggested to get a report from credit bureau. I am a monthly subscriber of Equifax and TransUnion so I knew right away that the reason they gave me was a lie and when I told them that it isn’t possible that my credit score is affecting it as I just got an increase from Options Canadian Tire from $500 to $2500 in May but still insisting that the decreased is due to a negative impact on my score because they said my record to them is good and that I don’t miss a payment and no past due amount.

I got upset and told the customer service that what they’re doing is actually hurting my credit score and review, for having it decreased twice in 2 months for no apparent reasons are worst than being declined for a credit card and told them also to at least notified me in advance of the decreased. I've had credit cards with different financial institutions for years and none had ever done this. I did some research online and found out that this has apparently been their practice for some time and they've done this to many of their customers. I am absolutely disgusted with how PC Financial treated me and will not only be cancelling my credit card but will switch my grocery shopping to one of their competitors.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I have had months of fraudulent charges on my card. I tried to cancel so the charges would stop. They told me this would do nothing. I opened up a dispute, followed everything they said, and provided proof and they still said I lost the dispute. The customer service is a joke. Every rep didn't seem to know what they are doing. They did barely anything to help. They are one of the worst banks I've ever dealt with. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: April 2, 2018

This company is a joke. I have always been a good paymaster with all my credit cards but never encounter such BS and hassle for having this credit card. I had gotten a supplemental card for my son for emergency usage. Yes he used it and forgot to tell me about it. This happened in July of 2017 hence since I did not know about it and had not received any statements or calls from PC Financial therefore had no idea I had owed them any money. By the way it was $65.55. Only last month I was using their card for making a purchase and was declined. I could not log in my online account and finally called their customer service. They reassured me no problem, after making payment everything will be taken care of.

After a week, I tried to log on and had problems signing in again. Called customer service and was told they suspended my account and had to contact the 2 credit bureau agencies (TransUnion and Equifax) to clear my name. I asked the CS why the huge hassle and was told it's their policy. Can't do anything about it. By the way, I had PC Points in my account that will be gone thanks to such silly policies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about President's Choice Financial?

Original review: March 23, 2018

Have to say that of all the banks I've ever applied for credit this is easily the worst and most tedious in which to obtain anything. If you've recently moved or less than a year at your current address you can expect these guys to demand all sorts of documentation from utility bills to personal cheques for $1 to CRA income statements and besides the cheque, they insist on 'original' documents as if they were the passport office.

Fact is that most of us don't get original utility bills in the mail anymore nor do we necessarily get CRA statements but they say you can print out the statements from the company's or government website and submit that either by email or snail mail. Problem is that when you do submit the documents they turn around and say they're not original! Even the letter they send asking for this information states it's perfectly fine to print out a PDF copy. To add insult to injury they end up taking as long as 10 days to even open up an email attachment on their end to give you answer one way or the other. Finally after this back and forth nonsense I told them to cancel the application after nearly a month of this but I shouldn't be surprised since PC Financial has always been known as impossible to deal with on several levels. My advice is to give this outfit a wide berth. They seem to have gotten even worse since they split off from CIBC back in November.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I’ve been a customer for quite some time and have always paid on time. Recently one of my dogs got really sick and had to pay higher bills than normal and got me behind in payments. Called customer services a couple of months ago to let them know and the guy said not to worry when I explained the situation and the reason I was behind. Since then I’ve been getting nonstop calls from them and even though I explain again and again the situation and they agreed to stop the calls I keep getting a call a day.

Today they called as usual and told me the account was transferred to another department, the girl was really helpful as always when I explained the situation and said will transfer me to her supervisor and that she will help me out. Well this supervisor Christine was rude and kept threatening me and told me to use my bank overdraft to pay them but I had to pay or to pay. She said I had the means as long as I had a job and that my overdraft was for that. Do they get paid to annoy the customers? If this is their customer service department, I don’t want to know how the third party collections.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We are two seniors enjoying a winter in a beautiful Mexican town called Guanajuato. We like to put our groceries on our credit card but imagine our shock when our President's Choice Mastercard was returned to us with a "declined" message. I called the customer service line and was told that our account had been cancelled because they had sent out new cards in November and they had never been activated. But I had called customer service while we were still in Canada and told them that I was not going to activate the cards until we got back in March because I had pending reservations on my current card. She said that was fine.

Well I guess we are just out of luck now because they say can't reactivate the account that is cancelled and we are in Mexico so can't get a new card in time to validate our upcoming reservations in Cancun. Have you ever heard about such poor customer service? We don't have another credit card because we thought it was easier to just have one! Fools that we are. We have never been late with a payment and our current (declined) card has an expiration date of November 2018.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

After being a loyal customer for 2 years they closed my account for no reason and this happened 2 days before the Christmas. I was never late for any payments. They basically tricked me saying send us your Identification and a statement copy then they closed my account. Anyone who has an account with PC Financial, don't trust them as they can let you down when you need them and my advice to you, never send anyone any documents as it's just a trap, just like what happened to me. They closed my account after they got the Documents. I would never deal with them ever again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I'm having a major issue with PC Financial, and I'm thinking it must be because of their recent change in ownership. I've been a customer of theirs since 2000 and haven't ever had this problem. I expect my mortgage payment to be paid by them every 2 weeks always on Friday night. On Saturday it didn't get paid, so I put a bit more money in my account. On Monday night I put in some more money to pay a credit card bill, and realized I put in too much, so I selected the option on the ATM to withdraw a bit. The ATM told me that I didn't have an account to withdraw money. I figured that the computer might be in software upgrade mode due to CIBC taking over PC Financial and went home.

Today I logged online to pay my credit card bill and it said I did not have an account to pay bills, yet the account summary said I have $700 to spend. I called customer service to complain about the problems/policy changes. She said there are no policy changes, and my account is on hold. I got a bit angry and complained that I've been a customer for 16 years and have never had my account held. She said that my overdraft balance hasn't been paid in over a month and it’s on hold. OK, they have never done that to me ever in the 16 years I've been with them.

This is such a problem to me because now, I'm overdue on a mortgage payment that charges $100 for missing a payment and now I'm super late on a credit card payment that I can't make until I handle my bank account! I don't get paid til Friday, and if the payment comes at midnight, my account won't be cleared til Monday because she says it needs 24 hours. The customer service agent on the phone would not do anything to help me. I suppose to them I'm considered to be a poverty customer since I live pay cheque to pay cheque these days and have a lot of bills. Hell with these guys. I'm switching my banking back to Scotiabank where they have decent customer service and at least try to help you out.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

This card is horrible. I can't withdraw money under 1000 dollars and I paid my bill. I checked the next day and the payment went from 321.74 to 374.74. They also stated to me that I would have 349.50 for my available balance when the payment came through. I got 258 dollars and my remaining balance was 114 dollars. I don't recommend anyone for this company.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

PC Financial, I am appalled for the third time this year at how you have been handling my money. I have been trying to rebuild my house that burnt down in a wild fire and all your company has done is put up road blocks, shown constant incompetence and treated me without respect. We are about to move into our rebuild in three weeks and again I have to chase down your senior investigator to do her job and escalate it to the supervisor when she does not respond to me.

This is three times now! I am fed up! She is apparently the only employee to handle rebuilds?? BS. I will be living on the street at this rate only because I can't pay my builder as PC takes too long to act on any request. All I need is an inspector and a final draw cheque and I need this all to happen before my possession date in three weeks. I asked for this stuff 2 months ago! Today I find out she gave them the wrong contact number. I call BS again because when I called the mortgage pool yesterday the request for an inspector was never submitted. Unacceptable! Thanks for making all the stress of escaping a wild fire and rebuilding a house even worse.

I will never recommend PC to anyone. "Just good banking"??? Out of your mind! These people do not even give out last names or emails. How are we supposed to keep records to protect ourselves when you do not fulfill your end of the contract? Awful company. Do not bank with these people. After all we have been through... they have only made things worse.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I applied to renew my mortgage In April 2017. After providing all the documents outlined President's Choice demanded that I provide them with a letter indicating that I was no longer on probation at my employment. My employer stated that current pay stub was prove of continuous employment. I have banked with PC since 2004 and have their Optimum MasterCard so they know my financial history and for them to use such a trivial reason. I am parting ways, I have nothing to fear, I will still get a mortgage elsewhere because I have a job and an excellent credit. Bye.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I never wanted a PC MasterCard but got convinced by one of their salespeople in the store to get one. As we do quite a bit of shopping at Fortinos and were told that this would help us earn points towards groceries faster, I signed up. Had the card for a few years with no issue then one day I discovered that my credit limit had been decreased. I called the customer service and was told that something must have negatively affected my credit score which would have caused the decrease in the credit limit. I am a monthly subscriber of Equifax so knew right away that the reason they gave me was a lie and when I told them as much I was told that in any event, the terms of the credit card allow PC Financial to reduce the credit limit for no reason at all.

I was upset for no other reason than not having been at least notified in advance. I've had credit cards with different financial institutions for years and none had ever done this. At the end of the day I let it go and moved on. Month later, PC Financial reduced my limit again even though I had not defaulted on my payment obligations. I did some research online and found out that this has apparently been their practice for some time and they've done this to many of their customers. I am absolutely disgusted with how PC Financial treated me and will not only be cancelling my credit card but will switch my grocery shopping to one of their competitors.

Original review: June 18, 2017

They are not easy to deal with at all, it is the most difficult financial institution. I cancelled my Mastercard with them a while back and I am not cancelling my wife's as well. For having a credit card that does not have any annual fee, customers does not deserve the kinda treatment that they give. I thought Scotiabank was bad, but these guys are worst.

Original review: June 8, 2017

The tactics of this bank are truly beyond words. I thought I would switch over to PC from a much larger bank which charges fees. After selling my house, I deposited a certified cheque from my lawyer on the 27th of the month. Believing a certified cheque is the same as cash I wrote a cheque for some plumbing work shortly after that, which bounced. After calling repeatedly, and trying every approach from anger, to pleading with them because my family had no furniture to sit on (we sold most of our furniture with the previous house), I was met with nothing but apathy and rudeness. I have NEVER, EVER been treated so poorly by a company in my life. They truly do not care at all about your business. They are rude and unconcerned about anything you say.

After depositing the certified cheque from the house sale for tens of thousands of dollars on the 27th, our first mortgage payment actually bounced on the 15th of the next month!! That is how long it took to deposit that certified cheque. I called and presented the scenario that it is actually illegal to hold our money for that amount of time and they should refund the fee the mortgage company charged us (almost $100). They would not budge and said they would only refund something like that if they had made a mistake. Their banking practices are atrocious and truly should be investigated. Do not trust them with your money. If you want fee free banking there are other places you should look. Would give them negative stars if possible.

Original review: May 29, 2017

Worst experience ever with PC Financial Master Card. I called this morning to help my dad reset his PIN. At the beginning of the call, I advised the lady that I'm the primary card holder and my dad doesn't speak English well, so I'm going to put him on speak phone and help to translate. The lady asked my dad his name, date of birth, the phone number associated with the account, and how old is he as of today, and my dad answer all of them in ENGLISH. And then she asked my dad the email address on the account and if he's working. I told her that I'm the primary account holder and that's my email address; then I said again my dad doesn't speak English very well and she has already asked him 4 security questions and he answered all of them in ENGLISH. The lady asked me to write down the email address and have my dad repeat that information. Excuse me?? That's how PC Financial authorize their client????

So I told her ask him anything that relates to HIS account, she said no. So I asked for supervisor. A gentleman named Jason came on the line and insisted that the "Additional account holder" has to know all information about the "Primary account holder", and they have to know the email address. I asked him how many security questions he has to ask in order to authenticate a cardholder; he didn't answer. I told him to ask another question instead of the email address, he said no. I asked him to ask anything about my dad's card, the 3 security number at the back of the card for example, he said no. I told him that my dad has already answered FOUR of their questions, with accurate information, and all he wants is to reset his PIN.

Jason said he has to have the email address in order to proceed. For God's sake, that's MY email address!!! And when I asked him to verify me, he said NO! So, why on earth you want an "Additional card holder" to provide the "Primary account holder's" email address but refuse to verify the primary account holder!! And guess what, as a customer, you have NOWHERE and NO WAY to reach out and NO ONE to talk to but listen to them!! Good job on de-escalating the issue generated by YOUR employee and what a great job on providing the WORST customer service ever!!!!

For people out there as an "Additional cardholder" and wants to change/reset your PIN, make sure you know the primary account holder's email address because your name, your date of birth, your phone number and your age are just NOT enough!! According to the supervisor, Jason, the additional account holder needs to know EVERYTHING on the account!! Way to go PC Financial!

Original review: May 2, 2017

My monthly payments from Metro Toronto social services was debited on April 28, 2017 on Friday in my checking account of PC Financial. As the office knows that my mortgage and other payments to be made on every 1st of the month and the bank released the amount on 2nd May 2017 without caring. Even after calling and spoke to one of the supervisor that my mortgage payment and some of my other payments has to be made on every 1st day of the month I went through a mental trauma after realising their insensitivity and carelessness towards customer that even after calling and pleading they did not cared and released the amount in my account only on 2nd May 2017.

If a friend of mine wouldn't help me by lending some money in time otherwise which could have jeopardized my payments including mortgage payment. Now I advise all Canadian consumers to stay cautious of PC Financial insensitive and irresponsible service until they start caring and provide an improved professional customer care.

Original review: March 2, 2017

We have tried to get a line of credit through this bank thinking that the no fee bank account along with free groceries would be a good idea! NOT the case! They have no idea what they are doing! Are very disorganised! And the sales people we talk to are clueless. I rather pay for a bank that knows what the hell they are doing. Worst bank experience of my life!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

The company was promoting membership sales at Loblaw's and I signed up for the mastercard. They did a credit search on the spot and gave me a $10k limit. Six months later I received a letter from them stating the limit was lowered to $500. This was clearly a "con job" to get me signed up for their product as my balance on the card for 90% of the 6 month period was $0. When I called to get it changed back they would not budge so I cancelled my card on the spot and I will never use another PC Financial product again.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

If you obtain a loan from PC Financial, keep a very close eye on your credit report and score. I had a small 5-year installment loan of $5000 that I paid off early. I then confirmed that the account had zero balance and was in the clear. A few months later, they updated Equifax to say that I have missed 3 payments and had an outstanding amount of $4.00 overdue for 90 days. That took about 150 points off my Equifax credit score. I know free banking is attractive, but for your financial security's sake - stay away from this firm. They conduct business in a fraudulent manner.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Thanks to your idiotic employee my checks are floating around God only knows where. When I opened the account, I gave your male employee at the Zehrs the correct address information. Yet he chose not to input the information in correctly. So when I ordered checks they were sent to an address in Welland that is not where I live. I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario. To make matters worse your company refuses to fix the issue or change my account information without running a credit check on me. So basically someone in Welland has my checks and banking info and there's nothing I can do about it. I am so not impressed with this bank right now!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

This has been the worst banking experience of my entire life. CIBC and President’s Choice are banks that do not care about current or previous account holders. They do not care about their customers. They only see dollars and cents not people. They claim that they scheduled to close my account on September 21. They did not close the account until November 14. During that time they did not send me a letter. They call. They did not give me any opportunity to withdraw the money. What they did was they all close the account. They took all the money. They told me they put it on the check and they told me that the check would be mailed out to me. They also told me I would have to wait 5 to 7 business days to receive the check. They did not send a check by a rush order mail delivery. They did not send the check in the secure manner to which I would have to sign for it. They did none of that.

They stole my information which I don't believe they should have anymore and the way they were able to get my information was by blackmailing me into doing so. They would not give me any information in regards to my account unless I submitted my SIN, copies of my passport, copies of my credit card and my bank card information. They were no longer privy to when our business relationship came to an end. Now I have to wait 5 to 7 days to get access to my money which was extremely inconvenient because now I have no money. I am not able to go to work. I'm not able to get to buy food. I am not able to do anything that requires money because they know I am stuck on the 15 having to order checks so that I can mail some checks out to my landlord which means it's going to be late and I'm going to be penalized for that.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

My recent order of cheque books was intercepted and used by an unknown individual who was able to withdraw some thousands of dollars from my account. I contacted PC Financial, who assured me that the funds would be returned and that no more cheques would go through as they would put a "stop" on my account. A couple days later I was reviewing my account and noticed I did receive the reimbursement from the bank but that another cheque was processed by an unknown individual. When I contacted PC Financial again to ask why another cheque had gone through they weren't able to give an explanation. I then asked when would I receive another reimbursement for this blunder and I was told a few business days.

A few business days later I call back as a reimbursement has not yet been received. The agent again says to wait a few more business days. A few business days later I get a call from PC Financial. I speak to a supervisor who tells me I need to sign an affidavit and have it signed by a notary public and return it to the bank before I can receive my funds.

I question him as to why this is necessary and the only answer I receive is this is the process. I then inform him that this doesn't seem right to withhold a customer's money from them for something they made an error on. In response I was told they were sorry and wished there were something they can do. I tell them I have rent and bills to pay but it goes on deaf ears. Now logically I will have to wait at least 10 business days due to this, causing me to miss my rent payment and several bills, in turn affecting my credit as well. Thank you PC. My advice. Avoid banking with PC Financial. They do not support you when it really matters.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

This is just to caution people to get full disclosure about what conditions will be placed on a PC loan. We went into a PC Pavilion as long-time customers with zero debt asking for a line of credit secured against our paid-off home. We went through five different people/departments and asked in good faith upfront at every step if we could use the loan to renovate our house and to create a rental suite. After many meetings and phone calls, the final document still contained clauses that disallowed renovations or rentals without the bank's written approval.

Sadly, it wasted a lot of man-hours because no one at PC was upfront about how we could or could not use the money. Our previous line of credit from PC Financial issued a decade ago did not contain any intrusive stipulations on how we used the money. BOTTOM LINE: It wasn't until after dealing with 5 levels of bureaucracy that we found out we couldn't use the PC Secured Line of Credit for the purpose we wanted it.

Original review: May 6, 2016

Getting a mortgage with PC bank was worse than pulling teeth! Our mortgage specials never answered his phone or replied to my emails. He never cc-ed my girlfriend (who was also on the mortgage), on any correspondence. They did not send paperwork to my lawyer until THE DAY OF OUR CLOSING despite the fact that I reminded my mortgage specialist every day for a week leading up to the closing day that the closing was coming up. As a result we were not able to close that day and incurred penalties. Finally the mortgage rate they ended up giving us was higher than the one we originally agreed on. I brought this to the attention of my mortgage specialist. It has now been over 2 weeks and our rate is still wrong (we will be making our first payment today). Absolutely terrible experience, will never use them again.

Original review: April 12, 2016

Worst customer service. Had issue with my auto insurance, the way they dealt with it was horrible. Called back a couple days ago and how they communicate with me was as bad as before. The lady on the phone even lied: stating I had multiple conflicting address on file but I only had one address. When asked for the reason of my cancellation (I called in twice), both agents refused to tell me, just stating it was cancelled (I'm not sure if this is a company policy). Finally received my cancellation letter and it says I gave false information, and breach of contract (someone else drive my car). Which did not make sense at all. I have been living alone for years. Feeling extremely helpless now, it's going to be on my record for 5 years. I wish I could find a way to resolve this but it takes at least 30 min wait everything I try to call them. Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

There's a TONNE of fine print, but read it ALL folks!!! After accidentally ordering the incorrect model of an item, and immediately correcting the order, a hold was nevertheless put on a large sum on my PC MasterCard by the vendor for the original order. Vendor issued a number to prove first transaction was cancelled, but PC would not accept this from me as it apparently needed to come from Vendor. Vendor tried, but could not get through to PC to provide this number. Pended transaction caused account to go over limit when valid transaction was processed, then guess what??? PC raised my annual rate of interest to 25.95% on the full balance! (Held account for three years, with no missed or late payments).

PC MasterCard assures me their right to do this is buried somewhere in something I signed when applying for the card. They MAY review the interest rate, if requested to do so, six months after said transaction date. I will be LONG gone by then, and they can save their terms of service for the next unsuspecting idiot who comes along. READ folks, READ!!!

Original review: July 24, 2015

Some money was debited from my account in error. I spotted the error and immediately paid cash in to correct the mistake as my mortgage was coming out in two days. Unfortunately cash takes three days to clear, yes CASH. My mortgage bounced and now I have a lovely $80 penalty to pay. The service in the bank was poor, they basically just shrugged their shoulders. I have banked in both the UK and Canada and have never experienced such a shabby service. Don't be fooled when you sign up for so-called "free" banking, you will pay more fees and penalties than you would with a $15 a month account. This however would be a good account for a child to have until reach an age where they are slightly more serious about banking.

Original review: June 1, 2015

I have never had a worse experience with a bank in all of Canada and USA until this: I sent my NEW landlord rent by Interact E - Transfer thru PC Financial online banking days ago! My receiver correctly answered the security question / password and it was accepted, but the money did not go into her account. She just kept getting an error. She called PC Bank and spent 2 hours back and forth, with the reps blaming me, blaming her (Saying she isn't doing it correctly) and then making up other ridiculous excuses. I called several times and got different excuses and that they were going to escalate the issue to their security department. I tried reclaiming the transfer and it wouldn't work. They told me it won't until the department lifts the block. I did everything correctly with the transaction and so did the receiver, but PC bank screwed everything up.

I'm extremely angry. They are holding my $1,000 hostage and not giving me any details at all as to why this happened. I don't have other money to pay my rent. They are telling me that it could take another 4 business days for me to get my money back. This has got to be the worst bank in North America. Don't even think of signing up with them. I will be moving all my accounts away from them. This is completely unacceptable. I will see what legal actions I can take against PC Financial and CIBC after this. I need to pay my rent, and for this to happen when I have a new landlord, this could cause me to lose my place. They need to be sued. This is 100% unacceptable. I wonder if it is even legal for them to hold my money like this. Money that was in my own account. Not on hold, but money that is supposed to be available to me.

President's Choice Financial Company Information