2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.8/5 (220 ratings)

About President's Choice Financial

President's Choice Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about President's Choice Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about President's Choice Financial?

Original review: May 13, 2021

I have been a long-time PC Mastercard holder and was happy to get some free food after making purchases and paying bills with my PC Mastercard. But then things changed. I signed up for automatic credit card bill payments at the end of the month and signed up for text alerts whenever a purchase was made. What I got was random texts for mostly small purchases under $50, and next to no texts for larger purchases, including two large unauthorized purchases for hacking software. I then went to dispute the charges, and it took over 3 weeks for the charges to come off. That was the least of my problems. My full balances were not paid at the end of the month, as I had signed up for. Instead, a large amount was left on, which would then accumulate interest if not manually paid by me, so I had to log on and pay the remaining balance.

That sort of defeats the purpose of signing up to have the full balance paid through my bank account, and now I regret giving them all my bank account information. I then tried to purchase $500 worth of cryptocurrency on Kraken using the Mastercard, as the Kraken website had that option of using a MasterCard or Visa. NOTE: In order to sign up to be a Kraken account holder, there are way more security hoops you have to jump through than to get a PC MasterCard mailed to your home. Anyway, after going through additional security measures that involved getting a 5 digit PIN number texted to me, which I then entered into a window, the purchase was denied. Naturally, I tried to do it again, and again it was denied. At no time did I get a pop-up saying this credit card cannot be used to make a cryptocurrency purchase on Kraken. And being as the card worked for a previous crypto coin purchase, I tried again.

So, after trying and failing three times, I logged off of Kraken. Two days later, I see that I was locked out of my PC Mastercard online account. So, of course, I called the 1 866 246 7262 at about 1:45 am, and followed the prompts to resolve being locked out. I pressed 4 and then 3. I then waited about 15 minutes and then heard 5 beeps, and then the phone went dead. The next day I called the number again and went through all the prompts, only to wait another 17 minutes, only then to be told I had to be transferred to their Security division. WTH? So what division was I waiting to get? The “Please hold while I transfer you again division”? Anyway, I was then transferred to “Security” where I waited for another 12 minutes before talking to them.

Then, after another 5 minutes of them confirming it was me they were talking to, like someone else would ever pretend they were me so they could go through such a hassle just to get my account back online, I was then told that even though I had successfully purchased cryptocurrency online on Kraken in the past using that same credit card, and paid all my bills in full at the end of the month, that any further attempted purchases of any cryptocurrency would result in me being locked out again. And get this, the Security officer said she gets many calls from people who have the same problem, in trying to buy crypto coins online, and that, of course, they don’t support that, as they are part of the big banking system cartel that does not want to lose control of the money flow.

So, the bottom line is I will now go looking for a credit card that allows me to make crypto coin purchases online, and that has a better cashback system, and then I will cancel my PC Mastercard, as I’m really tired of getting very well picked through fruits and vegetables and then standing in a long line up to check out, and in the end only saving a maximum of $10 on my purchase, unless I bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff. Enough said.

Original review: May 6, 2021

I have been with PC since it started (20+ years), then they changed their name to Simplii. My PC elite card was pulled because I was not spending enough money during last year (Covid & lockdowns!!!) & their features are not as good as my other cards - that's why I use my other cards more often. I had never agreed to downgraded my card nor wanted to be subjected to all the new requirements. Since it only can collect PC points, they want me to spend over 25k per year to get it back. Do you really think your card is that special? All we talk about is PC points not gold here. What a joke. I will simply spend the remaining 2k in points at Loblaws and not use this card again.

On top of that, they have extremely long wait time, customer service representatives hardly speak English, lack of product knowledge and bad manner (eg. Lately I was always being addresses by my first name without permission, I was told a few times "my bad" - they treated my calls as social causal ones when we were talking about money and business!). Congratulations to lose a loyal customer for over 20 years. There are other cards that give much better benefits & cash back at the same time instead of limiting the use in certain stores as points! I will use another FI that does not outsource their customer service to another country.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2021

:ike all the reviews it's true, they dont like people, I think they are in financial despair, you dont take away credit from people who pay their bills, it happened to me 3 times on the same account, once it is paid they are gone from my life, stores, gas, etc. Points are worthless anyways.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Had a PC Financial Mastercard for 7 years now, used regularly and had regular limit increases without even asking. Never missed payments, always paid more than the minimum balance and they were making between $25 - $45 in interest off my most months!! Last month I signed up for PC Insider program and started to use the card more at Superstore, Esso and Shoppers so I'd get more points, earned about $120 in points in 1 month and all of a sudden I try to pay for an online PC Express order and the card is declined because they lowered my limit without notice.

My credit is better than ever so absolutely no reason to cancel so I'm guessing it's something to do with earning a load of points and now essentially costing them money!! Absolutely terrible service to give a loyal customer who is just trying to take advantage of the points program. Well, jokes on them cause I'll be paying it off, they'll be getting no more interest $ out of me and I'll be cancelling the PC Insider program too and go back to shopping at Save On and using my RBC credit card.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

PC Financial is the worst account I have had in all my 49 years of banking. I am horrified at the lack of English speaking customer service staff. It is impossible to get decent service. I opened a saving and checking account. I transferred $900.00 on January 30, 2021. I forgot about the checking account and found out PC Financial closed it after 60 days. The $900.00 that I transferred was lost. I phoned PC Financial service to inquire why the $900.00 was not deposited. I was told it would be deposited in the account within the next hours. WRONG.

I waited until the 1st of February 2021 and called customer service to find out where the funds were. After being transferred to 4 departments and expressing my frustration, the service staff hung up the phone. I waited until Friday, February 5th to follow up to confirm the funds were finally returned to my account. WRONG AGAIN. Once again I was transferred to 4 departments and repeated the same information, name, address, phone number, DOB, by this time I was livid. Angry, I answered each repetitive question by a person who was extremely difficult to understand.

I asked why the money was not deposited yet and where it was. I was told it would be deposited within 24 hours, guaranteed. February 7th I looked into my account and saw the funds were still not deposited. By this time I was furious. It appears they (customer service) are robots and say only what they are trained to say. I was so darn angry that I was getting zero assistance, that I asked to speak to a supervisor, BOOM-they hung up the phone.

I got in my car and drove to the PC Pavilion in Langley, and spoke to "Jesse", she phone "Siras" and demanded to inform me where the funds were. I refused to talk to anyone who I would have to communicate on the phone too. FINALLY, Jesse, had Siras confirm they have no idea where the money is and that they will try to have it in my account by Tuesday, February 9th. I absolutely will close my account once the funds have been deposited. No corporate company should have the right to handle other people's trust along with their money and be treated in such a horrible manner. Mr. Weston, your corporate empire is only an "empire" thanks to all of our purchasing of your product. It's time you review your service and staff and offer better-trained staff.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I had a $19,000 credit limit a week ago. I did an online request to transfer an $8,000 balance from another credit card to this account which had $6,000 owing. I got a call from a PC Financial security specialist confirming that I made the request a couple of days ago. Today, I went to buy breakfast and my PC credit card was declined. I phoned and found out that they had accepted my balance transfer but lowered my credit limit to $7,500 without notification. The supervisors could not be found - maybe still in bed or vacationing in Mexico. So essentially the card is useless to use for PC points.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Terrible experience applying for a M/C - I was sent a card with an approval letter. When I tried to activate it...the account was closed!!! Customer service was useless and their troubleshooting provided zero concrete solutions. Beware of their scam to offer $100 with your first purchase - I regret having given PC Financial any of my personal info. Terrible experience and would never do business with them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

If you want to sign up for the PC money account, the points are good, but that is the only good thing I have found. There are no cheques. There is not a proper PAD form. You cannot deposit cash into this account through their bank machines. You can only withdraw cash. Tried to set up pre-authorized debit for my ICBC car insurance and ICBC does not even recognize them as a bank so the debits will not come out of my account even though there is money in the account. You still have to have another bank account.

I have my Simplii account and I can deposit money into that account and transfer it by etransfer to my money account, but that is the only way it will work. Also, I have to keep my car insurance through my Simplii account as it appears at this point impossible to set up PAD for this bill through the money account. It has been a big headache and the customer service SUCKS. I honestly wish I had never tried to switch to the money account and I may end up switching completely back to Simplii after all.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I have Master Elite World PC credit card. I have never been late with any payment to anybody since I was born. I have been a customer of PC for over 2 years, never missed any payment, always kept credit limit in good standing. Paid much more than miminum shown. They cut my limit out of the blue from 2500 to 1500 in October 2020. I called and I was told they reviewed my credits. They cut again my limit to 1000 in November without any reason, no call, as in October out of the blue. You can notice once your transaction is declined during purchase. Do not advise to make any business with PC Financial. Bunch of unrespectful losers.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I have had the worst experience with my PC Money Account and the people who represent them. I have had to call them 5 days in a row and at least twice each day because I would get money into my account to pay bills, and I'd look at my account 30 minutes later and $50 is taken off my account with no record of transaction. Money just magically disappears? Then I'm told that money would reflect back onto my account by Monday, it's now Wednesday and I have yet to see that money reflect back onto my account.

I also made a refund yesterday for $36, I go to buy a part for my car and my card is declined... I check my account and the refunded money isn't even on my account! I spoke to representative about this and I'm told the refund would take 7-10 business days to reflect on my account! I north bank with TD and I've made refunds using that card many times before and not once have I had to wait even a day` to receive my refunded money. By far one of the most ridiculous banks out there! I certainly DO NOT RECOMMEND!

President's Choice Financial Company Information