1.15/5
Based on 46 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

49 President's Choice Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Tried numerous times to set up pre-authorized debit for PC Financial MasterCard and I can't recall ever dealing with a more useless organization. Constant runaround every time I called, they can't even handle simple banking info properly, and most likely nobody there even cares. If you are lucky enough to read these reviews before getting a PC MasterCard, look elsewhere for your credit card needs.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I am stuck in Spain with my card canceled due to a decline of my card for a 10$ purchase. President's Choice has canceled it and even after numerous calls and proof of who I am will not reinstate card. Even though no fraudulent activity and card paid off in full before leaving they want me to call from home phone # when I return as they must process through numerous channels. Card is needed here and now. They were notified before I left off where I am. No fraud etc. was tried only a company that did not process a transaction correctly. Hours have been spent attempting to correct a minor issue. BEWARE OF THIS INCOMPETENT COMPANY. They are only rated as one star as I must rate but are a zero.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I applied for this card when someone who worked for them asked me at Shoppers. They sent the card to the wrong address twice. They called me to let me know the card had been returned to them the first time but didn't bother the second. When I called them to ask what had happened to the card, they basically said, "oh yeah, it came back. Guess we should have called." When they finally got my address right, they sent me the card but then needed additional documents to verify the address. I sent them the documents, and surprise surprise, I heard nothing back.

Today, almost two weeks later, I tried to activate it again, and got transferred to a guy who sounded like he was asleep/drunk. He put me through to someone else, who went on a hunt for the documents as nobody had bothered to do anything with them. Then she said, "I found your documents!" like she had just climbed Mt. Everest. She said she would mark my case "urgent," and would have someone call me with an update. I told her I wouldn't hold my breath and hung up. The people who work here are incompetent morons. I'm seriously considering cancelling this card, because if this is how they operate to get you a card, how bad would they be when you actually have a card?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I got this credit card to get extra PC points. So far it's worked. I just buy little things like gas and groceries on it. Only have a $1000 limit and it hasn't been a problem. However, somehow last month I underpaid my card by $1.50 and didn't notice. I'd been noticing that my credit card wouldn't work when I went to buy stuff but never called because I didn't have time. Now, when I'm paying this month's bill I noticed that I underpaid by $1.50 so that's probably why I was declined. Seems pretty fickle as this hasn't happened with a BMO cc. Having now read everyone else's review I will be careful if they offer to expand my cc limit, too. Otherwise I have appreciated racking up the points with this card. Paid for my groceries on a road trip just as I had planned. :)

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have had the card for almost a year, started with 5000 limit. I max it out every month between everyday purchases, groceries and all bill payments. I pay it off in full every month as soon as the statement comes out, no interest, no fees, just lots of points. I do not pay to bank and this card gives me that same option. I operate a small distribution business and use 140L of fuel every day 6 times per week, to which I charge to this card. If you are smart with your finances and only spend what you can pay off at months-end this card cost you zero dollars and can you can accumulate a lot of points. FAST.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about President's Choice Financial?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

PC Financial automatically closed my account without any notice, warning or letter of closure after being with them for over 3 years with an account in great standing. The only way I found out it was closed was when I called in to see why the card was declined during a $1 purchase. After being bounced around from useless representative to representative, I learned that they had in fact chosen to cancel my account over a month ago without reaching out to me. In the time from it being closed by PC Financial, there was paperwork or notice sent out to me and the card I had in hand was still "valid" through XY month this year. Are you kidding me? Never will be with these jokers again.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I am registering a sincere complaint based on my experience this evening with the PC Financial Customer Service Department. I was just disconnected after two hours of being kept on hold and being transferred between departments and nauseam. This happened a total of five times. That's five transfers between departments, five times explaining my simple request - only to be told I needed to be transferred yet again, and to be put yet again on hold. As of right now, I still have not had my question answered, nor my financial request resolved. My family and I have been loyal customers of PC Financial for over two decades, through numerous Credit Lines, Credit Cards, Chequing and Savings Accounts.

We have chosen PC Financial over and over again, despite considerable competition for our business, based on what we thought PC Financial stood for: straightforward, efficient, effective banking. We have shown considerable patience throughout the many phases and transitions of PC Financial, but over the last few years, with the closure of your in-store booths and decline of anything remotely effective about your telephone banking, PC Financial’s Customer Service has become worse than non-existent. PC Financial has become #1 for incompetent, ineffective, complicated and utterly frustrating experiences with Customer Service and PC banking in general. The inconvenience and utter ineffectiveness of this most recent experience with PC Financial Customer Service Department are completely unreasonable. We expect much, much better in return for our loyalty and patience over the past two decades.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Put almost 3000 dollars onto our card, (4 months of grocery money), after receiving our student loan. Checked 3 days later, and they had reduced our credit limit by... $3000! We now have no money to eat for the next four months, despite 8 years of perfect payment history. Thanks PC Financial for threatening our families' livelihood.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

In July I was accosted in Shoppers Drug Mart by PC rep who took my DL info. 30 days later I received & activated my card with $10000 limit. Requested a balance transfer. Told 3-5 days. A week later, card is BLOCKED. No explanation. Then told they couldn't confirm my identity. Want all kinds of personal id faxed to some number (could be INDIA for all I know). Then told they do not keep records of application or DL info from the PC rep at Shoppers Drug Mart. What kind of company mails out cards with $10000 limits and does a credit check only AFTER the customer tries to make a purchase and BLOCKS the card they just activated with a rep on the phone...exactly! So I cancelled the card. PC Financial is incompetent, a scam or both.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I got my MasterCard recently approved for $8000. I spent 1200 the first day, not thinking anything of it. I figured I spend some of it and then pay it back before month end to build my credit. On the 2nd day my CC was declined. When I called them they told me there is a hold on the credit card and I have to pay $600 right away to get the hold removed. They couldn't even wait until month end for the payment. That didn't make sense. The rep. said they were afraid I will spend everything and not pay back. So I asked, then why didn't they just approve me for $1500 and we wouldn't have this problem. Even when I make a payment, now if I ever use it again, I will be thinking will it go through or not. I never had this problem with any other CC before. Would not recommend it to anybody!!!

Original review: July 19, 2018

I was offered PC MasterCard couple of years ago, was given $10000.00 limit on the card, at some point this years I asked to have convenient cheque to pay for renovation in my house, suddenly PC blocked my account for no reason!!! Then when I called they said we need proof of residence and driver's license. I told you could call me and explain why the block. They said they did call, I asked what number, apparently they were lying they had no number to call. After numerous calls again they stated my card, yesterday again this time reduced my credit limit by 7500 dollars, again no reason, truly garbage credit card and extremely bad customer service.

Original review: July 5, 2018

This company offers you a credit card and then cancels it for no reason. Even when your payments are current and not at limit? Poor customer service when asking for explanations. Feel like it's a money grab for their company. They approve everyone then cancel the cards and ensure you pay the entire balance off before you are allowed to apply again. Pretty good way to increase their company face value. Gets the financial world thinking everyone is moving to PC Financial. They should be worried about their back end and retention from the fall out of cancelled cards. May not catch up to them today...but it will. Watch your PC Products. They won't be on top for long, not after this type of discredit starts surfacing.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Due to unforeseen circumstances such as a car accident and job loss, PC Financial CHOSE to cancel my Mastercard even though I paid the balance owing in full. I have no problem admitting that I was late a few times with payments and went over my credit limit due to the car accident insurance deductible, I feel strongly that I should have been given credit for paying the balance in full of $810.

When I called PC Financial when a transaction was declined, they advised that the card had been suspended and was told to talk to the credit department. I was advised by the credit department that paying my balance in full would reinstate my credit card. I did talk to the credit department where I advised them that the least they could have done was to send me correspondence advising me of the cancellation of the card. As a result of PC Financial not showing compassion and misleading me, I have decided to boycott any company associated with the Weston name. All the negative reviews regarding PC Financial are well deserved towards this company and they would do well to review and change company policies.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have my PC MasterCard since 2017 with no issue then one day in April 2018 I discovered that my credit limit had been decreased from $2000 to $1600. Called the customer service and I was told that I had 3 overlimits for the past 2 months. Why they decreased my limit which I don’t see on my statements. So, in May 2018, I started paying twice a month totaling $550 and June 5 I paid $600 to avoid overlimit as they claim. At the end of the day I let it go and moved on. Then today, June 24, 2018, PC Financial reduced my limit again from $1600 to $1100 even though I had not defaulted on my payment obligations.

I immediately called customer service and I was told something must have negatively affected my credit score which would have caused the decrease in the credit limit this time and suggested to get a report from credit bureau. I am a monthly subscriber of Equifax and TransUnion so I knew right away that the reason they gave me was a lie and when I told them that it isn’t possible that my credit score is affecting it as I just got an increase from Options Canadian Tire from $500 to $2500 in May but still insisting that the decreased is due to a negative impact on my score because they said my record to them is good and that I don’t miss a payment and no past due amount.

I got upset and told the customer service that what they’re doing is actually hurting my credit score and review, for having it decreased twice in 2 months for no apparent reasons are worst than being declined for a credit card and told them also to at least notified me in advance of the decreased. I've had credit cards with different financial institutions for years and none had ever done this. I did some research online and found out that this has apparently been their practice for some time and they've done this to many of their customers. I am absolutely disgusted with how PC Financial treated me and will not only be cancelling my credit card but will switch my grocery shopping to one of their competitors.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I have had months of fraudulent charges on my card. I tried to cancel so the charges would stop. They told me this would do nothing. I opened up a dispute, followed everything they said, and provided proof and they still said I lost the dispute. The customer service is a joke. Every rep didn't seem to know what they are doing. They did barely anything to help. They are one of the worst banks I've ever dealt with. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: April 2, 2018

This company is a joke. I have always been a good paymaster with all my credit cards but never encounter such BS and hassle for having this credit card. I had gotten a supplemental card for my son for emergency usage. Yes he used it and forgot to tell me about it. This happened in July of 2017 hence since I did not know about it and had not received any statements or calls from PC Financial therefore had no idea I had owed them any money. By the way it was $65.55. Only last month I was using their card for making a purchase and was declined. I could not log in my online account and finally called their customer service. They reassured me no problem, after making payment everything will be taken care of.

After a week, I tried to log on and had problems signing in again. Called customer service and was told they suspended my account and had to contact the 2 credit bureau agencies (TransUnion and Equifax) to clear my name. I asked the CS why the huge hassle and was told it's their policy. Can't do anything about it. By the way, I had PC Points in my account that will be gone thanks to such silly policies.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Have to say that of all the banks I've ever applied for credit this is easily the worst and most tedious in which to obtain anything. If you've recently moved or less than a year at your current address you can expect these guys to demand all sorts of documentation from utility bills to personal cheques for $1 to CRA income statements and besides the cheque, they insist on 'original' documents as if they were the passport office.

Fact is that most of us don't get original utility bills in the mail anymore nor do we necessarily get CRA statements but they say you can print out the statements from the company's or government website and submit that either by email or snail mail. Problem is that when you do submit the documents they turn around and say they're not original! Even the letter they send asking for this information states it's perfectly fine to print out a PDF copy. To add insult to injury they end up taking as long as 10 days to even open up an email attachment on their end to give you answer one way or the other. Finally after this back and forth nonsense I told them to cancel the application after nearly a month of this but I shouldn't be surprised since PC Financial has always been known as impossible to deal with on several levels. My advice is to give this outfit a wide berth. They seem to have gotten even worse since they split off from CIBC back in November.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I’ve been a customer for quite some time and have always paid on time. Recently one of my dogs got really sick and had to pay higher bills than normal and got me behind in payments. Called customer services a couple of months ago to let them know and the guy said not to worry when I explained the situation and the reason I was behind. Since then I’ve been getting nonstop calls from them and even though I explain again and again the situation and they agreed to stop the calls I keep getting a call a day.

Today they called as usual and told me the account was transferred to another department, the girl was really helpful as always when I explained the situation and said will transfer me to her supervisor and that she will help me out. Well this supervisor Christine was rude and kept threatening me and told me to use my bank overdraft to pay them but I had to pay or to pay. She said I had the means as long as I had a job and that my overdraft was for that. Do they get paid to annoy the customers? If this is their customer service department, I don’t want to know how the third party collections.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We are two seniors enjoying a winter in a beautiful Mexican town called Guanajuato. We like to put our groceries on our credit card but imagine our shock when our President's Choice Mastercard was returned to us with a "declined" message. I called the customer service line and was told that our account had been cancelled because they had sent out new cards in November and they had never been activated. But I had called customer service while we were still in Canada and told them that I was not going to activate the cards until we got back in March because I had pending reservations on my current card. She said that was fine.

Well I guess we are just out of luck now because they say can't reactivate the account that is cancelled and we are in Mexico so can't get a new card in time to validate our upcoming reservations in Cancun. Have you ever heard about such poor customer service? We don't have another credit card because we thought it was easier to just have one! Fools that we are. We have never been late with a payment and our current (declined) card has an expiration date of November 2018.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

After being a loyal customer for 2 years they closed my account for no reason and this happened 2 days before the Christmas. I was never late for any payments. They basically tricked me saying send us your Identification and a statement copy then they closed my account. Anyone who has an account with PC Financial, don't trust them as they can let you down when you need them and my advice to you, never send anyone any documents as it's just a trap, just like what happened to me. They closed my account after they got the Documents. I would never deal with them ever again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I'm having a major issue with PC Financial, and I'm thinking it must be because of their recent change in ownership. I've been a customer of theirs since 2000 and haven't ever had this problem. I expect my mortgage payment to be paid by them every 2 weeks always on Friday night. On Saturday it didn't get paid, so I put a bit more money in my account. On Monday night I put in some more money to pay a credit card bill, and realized I put in too much, so I selected the option on the ATM to withdraw a bit. The ATM told me that I didn't have an account to withdraw money. I figured that the computer might be in software upgrade mode due to CIBC taking over PC Financial and went home.

Today I logged online to pay my credit card bill and it said I did not have an account to pay bills, yet the account summary said I have $700 to spend. I called customer service to complain about the problems/policy changes. She said there are no policy changes, and my account is on hold. I got a bit angry and complained that I've been a customer for 16 years and have never had my account held. She said that my overdraft balance hasn't been paid in over a month and it’s on hold. OK, they have never done that to me ever in the 16 years I've been with them.

This is such a problem to me because now, I'm overdue on a mortgage payment that charges $100 for missing a payment and now I'm super late on a credit card payment that I can't make until I handle my bank account! I don't get paid til Friday, and if the payment comes at midnight, my account won't be cleared til Monday because she says it needs 24 hours. The customer service agent on the phone would not do anything to help me. I suppose to them I'm considered to be a poverty customer since I live pay cheque to pay cheque these days and have a lot of bills. Hell with these guys. I'm switching my banking back to Scotiabank where they have decent customer service and at least try to help you out.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

This card is horrible. I can't withdraw money under 1000 dollars and I paid my bill. I checked the next day and the payment went from 321.74 to 374.74. They also stated to me that I would have 349.50 for my available balance when the payment came through. I got 258 dollars and my remaining balance was 114 dollars. I don't recommend anyone for this company.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

PC Financial, I am appalled for the third time this year at how you have been handling my money. I have been trying to rebuild my house that burnt down in a wild fire and all your company has done is put up road blocks, shown constant incompetence and treated me without respect. We are about to move into our rebuild in three weeks and again I have to chase down your senior investigator to do her job and escalate it to the supervisor when she does not respond to me.

This is three times now! I am fed up! She is apparently the only employee to handle rebuilds?? BS. I will be living on the street at this rate only because I can't pay my builder as PC takes too long to act on any request. All I need is an inspector and a final draw cheque and I need this all to happen before my possession date in three weeks. I asked for this stuff 2 months ago! Today I find out she gave them the wrong contact number. I call BS again because when I called the mortgage pool yesterday the request for an inspector was never submitted. Unacceptable! Thanks for making all the stress of escaping a wild fire and rebuilding a house even worse.

I will never recommend PC to anyone. "Just good banking"??? Out of your mind! These people do not even give out last names or emails. How are we supposed to keep records to protect ourselves when you do not fulfill your end of the contract? Awful company. Do not bank with these people. After all we have been through... they have only made things worse.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I applied to renew my mortgage In April 2017. After providing all the documents outlined President's Choice demanded that I provide them with a letter indicating that I was no longer on probation at my employment. My employer stated that current pay stub was prove of continuous employment. I have banked with PC since 2004 and have their Optimum MasterCard so they know my financial history and for them to use such a trivial reason. I am parting ways, I have nothing to fear, I will still get a mortgage elsewhere because I have a job and an excellent credit. Bye.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I never wanted a PC MasterCard but got convinced by one of their salespeople in the store to get one. As we do quite a bit of shopping at Fortinos and were told that this would help us earn points towards groceries faster, I signed up. Had the card for a few years with no issue then one day I discovered that my credit limit had been decreased. I called the customer service and was told that something must have negatively affected my credit score which would have caused the decrease in the credit limit. I am a monthly subscriber of Equifax so knew right away that the reason they gave me was a lie and when I told them as much I was told that in any event, the terms of the credit card allow PC Financial to reduce the credit limit for no reason at all.

I was upset for no other reason than not having been at least notified in advance. I've had credit cards with different financial institutions for years and none had ever done this. At the end of the day I let it go and moved on. Month later, PC Financial reduced my limit again even though I had not defaulted on my payment obligations. I did some research online and found out that this has apparently been their practice for some time and they've done this to many of their customers. I am absolutely disgusted with how PC Financial treated me and will not only be cancelling my credit card but will switch my grocery shopping to one of their competitors.

Original review: June 18, 2017

They are not easy to deal with at all, it is the most difficult financial institution. I cancelled my Mastercard with them a while back and I am not cancelling my wife's as well. For having a credit card that does not have any annual fee, customers does not deserve the kinda treatment that they give. I thought Scotiabank was bad, but these guys are worst.

Original review: June 8, 2017

The tactics of this bank are truly beyond words. I thought I would switch over to PC from a much larger bank which charges fees. After selling my house, I deposited a certified cheque from my lawyer on the 27th of the month. Believing a certified cheque is the same as cash I wrote a cheque for some plumbing work shortly after that, which bounced. After calling repeatedly, and trying every approach from anger, to pleading with them because my family had no furniture to sit on (we sold most of our furniture with the previous house), I was met with nothing but apathy and rudeness. I have NEVER, EVER been treated so poorly by a company in my life. They truly do not care at all about your business. They are rude and unconcerned about anything you say.

After depositing the certified cheque from the house sale for tens of thousands of dollars on the 27th, our first mortgage payment actually bounced on the 15th of the next month!! That is how long it took to deposit that certified cheque. I called and presented the scenario that it is actually illegal to hold our money for that amount of time and they should refund the fee the mortgage company charged us (almost $100). They would not budge and said they would only refund something like that if they had made a mistake. Their banking practices are atrocious and truly should be investigated. Do not trust them with your money. If you want fee free banking there are other places you should look. Would give them negative stars if possible.

Original review: May 29, 2017

Worst experience ever with PC Financial Master Card. I called this morning to help my dad reset his PIN. At the beginning of the call, I advised the lady that I'm the primary card holder and my dad doesn't speak English well, so I'm going to put him on speak phone and help to translate. The lady asked my dad his name, date of birth, the phone number associated with the account, and how old is he as of today, and my dad answer all of them in ENGLISH. And then she asked my dad the email address on the account and if he's working. I told her that I'm the primary account holder and that's my email address; then I said again my dad doesn't speak English very well and she has already asked him 4 security questions and he answered all of them in ENGLISH. The lady asked me to write down the email address and have my dad repeat that information. Excuse me?? That's how PC Financial authorize their client????

So I told her ask him anything that relates to HIS account, she said no. So I asked for supervisor. A gentleman named Jason came on the line and insisted that the "Additional account holder" has to know all information about the "Primary account holder", and they have to know the email address. I asked him how many security questions he has to ask in order to authenticate a cardholder; he didn't answer. I told him to ask another question instead of the email address, he said no. I asked him to ask anything about my dad's card, the 3 security number at the back of the card for example, he said no. I told him that my dad has already answered FOUR of their questions, with accurate information, and all he wants is to reset his PIN.

Jason said he has to have the email address in order to proceed. For God's sake, that's MY email address!!! And when I asked him to verify me, he said NO! So, why on earth you want an "Additional card holder" to provide the "Primary account holder's" email address but refuse to verify the primary account holder!! And guess what, as a customer, you have NOWHERE and NO WAY to reach out and NO ONE to talk to but listen to them!! Good job on de-escalating the issue generated by YOUR employee and what a great job on providing the WORST customer service ever!!!!

For people out there as an "Additional cardholder" and wants to change/reset your PIN, make sure you know the primary account holder's email address because your name, your date of birth, your phone number and your age are just NOT enough!! According to the supervisor, Jason, the additional account holder needs to know EVERYTHING on the account!! Way to go PC Financial!

Original review: May 2, 2017

My monthly payments from Metro Toronto social services was debited on April 28, 2017 on Friday in my checking account of PC Financial. As the office knows that my mortgage and other payments to be made on every 1st of the month and the bank released the amount on 2nd May 2017 without caring. Even after calling and spoke to one of the supervisor that my mortgage payment and some of my other payments has to be made on every 1st day of the month I went through a mental trauma after realising their insensitivity and carelessness towards customer that even after calling and pleading they did not cared and released the amount in my account only on 2nd May 2017.

If a friend of mine wouldn't help me by lending some money in time otherwise which could have jeopardized my payments including mortgage payment. Now I advise all Canadian consumers to stay cautious of PC Financial insensitive and irresponsible service until they start caring and provide an improved professional customer care.

Original review: March 2, 2017

We have tried to get a line of credit through this bank thinking that the no fee bank account along with free groceries would be a good idea! NOT the case! They have no idea what they are doing! Are very disorganised! And the sales people we talk to are clueless. I rather pay for a bank that knows what the hell they are doing. Worst bank experience of my life!

President's Choice Financial Company Information