1.13/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

114 President's Choice Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have tried several times to log into the new site. Keep getting caught in the loop to update information. Contacted them by email with no response. Will be paying off the card and switching all automatic payments over to another card and then cancelling the card. Very poor customer service in a time where they should be looking after good customers with good credit.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

1st issue- I was charged by some company in China $65. I went to dispute it with PC Mastercard. They told me I would have to wait 60 days to dispute it. Long story short, I never got my money. 2nd issue- I cancelled my card after the 1st issue (Oct 2018), in Jan 2019 I was refunded by Amazon to this card. PC MasterCard never contacted me or sent me a refund. I am in a long process of trying to get my money back from them.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Been happy with this card until this new site design, which is awful to use, and won't work any longer with my budget software (Mint). Kind of frustrating to change, and now I'm looking for a new card.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of! Suddenly I cannot log in to PC Financial to access my credit card information? I've tried over and over again to access the website, to register, etc., and I keep getting run around in a circle. Eventually I decided to call them, and even they couldn't get me through the sign-up process! Major fail.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have had PCFinancial MC for many years. PROS: Good point rewards. No Complaints there. CONS: This card is NOT accepted everywhere, particularly at Asian Airports. My account at Amazon was hacked with fraudulent Charges appearing on my statement. PCFinancial was notified immediately and they promised to fix it. Two month later I received a letter stating: "After a thorough review the President's Choice Financial MasterCard and Fraud Investigation Department has determined that the transaction(s) claimed as fraudulent were either made by you, your authorized cardholder(s) or another person known to you and/or you have failed to cooperate with the investigation".

Turns out that they did NOT investigate anything but referred to a printout of the transaction from Amazon, a copy of which they send me. Luckily I know a bit about computers and noticed the IP address (supposedly mine) below my Name and e-mail. THIS IP address belongs to a computer more than 1000km away. I immediately called PCFinancial with these facts.

Here is what really upsets me: As far as PCFinancial customer service is concerned the investigation is completed and I am on my own... End of story. Had they taken 2 minutes with a knowledgeable IT person it would have finished, but they didn't which indicates that the person on the other end is reading a script, nothing more. I did send an e-mail to PCFinancial about this and so far no reply.

My recommendation: Do NOT use this card for online purchases, make sure you get a receipt every time you use it. I had a similar incident with a Credit Card from one of the big banks many years ago, and the problems were resolved by that bank in short order. Summary: PCFinancial is a good credit card. But it fails completely protecting their clients from fraud. Period. Full stop! If you charge a lot, as I do, and security is a major concern, avoid this card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about President's Choice Financial?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Have two computers side by side - with one I can get to my account OK, but the other one (laptop computer) cannot. And I used 1 before. Spent on helpline many hours, called support but to no avail. They went step by step through but still the same. It asks for verification number via email and phone - did all many times but still it is the same. I have this card at least 14 years. I will need access this account using my laptop because I will be traveling and I need to check spending and payments.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

After 20 years I'm switching to another Mastercard. They have ruined things with their new site, a screwup that reminds me of how Digg.com killed themselves. I am unable to see my transactions and customer service can't help. The site continually errors out and locks the account. What was wrong with the old site?! On a positive note this experience spurred me to find a better Mastercard. Great job guys. If I were CEO there would be hell to pay for this fiasco.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of! Suddenly I cannot log in to PC Financial to access my credit card information? I've tried over and over again to access the website, to register, etc., and I keep getting runaround in a circle. Eventually I decided to call them, and even they couldn't get me through the sign-up process! Major fail.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I've been trying to sign up for online banking about 2 months already. Support's just answering "copy paste phrases". So I'd just want to remind that it's 2019 year in the yard and you aren't able to use online banking.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I used to enjoy having this credit card but no longer. Recently they changed their online website making it inaccessible and I can no longer use online access to check my spending and bills. When I try log in asks to type on the first try the credit card number, the expiration date and phone. After typing this perfectly correct it reports it as incorrect information and displays a new form asking this time to type card, name and postal code. Again after typing it correctly it reports it as incorrect, then it shows a third form to type card number expiration date and birthday, and after typing all correct it reports, "your account has been locked for too many invalid entries, try again later".

No matter how many tries I make the result is the same. I called them and ask for help and they verified me as the account owner but they were not able to provide online access. We have at home 2 computers with Windows 7 and 10 and 3 Android phones with different system. We tried all major browsers on all devices and nothing works. I ended up asking to go back to paper bills which is a primitive way to check spending these days. I'm about to stop using this card if they don't fix their online account access.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have been trying for 1 year now to access my online account - 20 changed passwords, 20 access codes, 4 hrs on the phone with agent. I have written 3 emails (no response). I have been ignored and basically called a liar. It's my fault not theirs. All I want is access to online account. I guess I am asking too much. One other thing I discovered while looking for someone of importance to complain to I came across 2 website that stated that PC FINANCIAL has a problem with Transgendered people. Maybe that is why I have been treated this way.

I have never used this card before and don't like using it now but this could just be the reason for the non existent help. I have contacted the ombudsman for help but as I have said I get no response. And will he be fair or just brush it off like all the rest? It seems to me that PC Financial has rules for the cardholder but none for themselves. I think they would at least give you access to your account. Call me crazy but if I can find out if the transgender thing is a problem then there is a much bigger problem.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Three times in two months I've been locked out despite being careful to type my password correctly. Talked to two reps, neither of whom mentioned it was a known issue, and yet here is this website with all of us writing in about the same issue. I've been reading about other rewards cards and this one doesn't even rank as decent. Occasional free groceries is nice, but we can all do better. I'm moving on; you should too.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have had a credit card with PC Financial for a few years. Never missed a payment and always paid over the limit. Asked for a credit increase; was given the increase then two months later they lowered it lower than it was prior to my asking. Then I called to ask "What the Heck?" and was told that I was using my credit too much. So if I am paying more than the required minimum every month and never miss a payment, what do you care how much I use my card? Following the above conversation, they lowered my credit again. Then I made several payments adding up to over $2000.00 in a month.

As of yesterday I now had over $2500.00 available on my card and today I go and check my account and my credit limit was reduced by $3000.00! This puts my card in a almost maxed out status when yesterday I had over $2500.00 available. They will affect your credit and are CROOKS. NOT TO MENTION THAT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS IN THE PHILIPPINES. NOT EVEN IN CANADA. You can barely make out what people are saying. I have closed my account and pray that they will go out of business because they are not ethical or honest.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have cancelled my President's Choice credit card more than 3 times and they keep sending me statements and I paid two of them not wanting my credit ruined! I refuse to pay these scammers anymore as I received another statement just the other day for just over $80.00 and I called them again and said again to cancel this card and I refuse to pay any more. I told them I was contacting my lawyer.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Locked out of the website again because they insist on a 10 character PW which I managed to type in wrong (again). It's easier to just type forget your password EACH time and identity confirm to get in. No link to resolve the situation, no 1800 number posted. This sucks. When I do get in unasked for 2nd factor authentication on every login even though I mark the PC as trusted. I want to check my balance not get into Fort Knox. I'd use a phone APP but they don't have one after how many years? Why am I with this credit card company again?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

1st problem - I have used a PC Mastercard for about 2 years. I have loved the points but the website is really ruining my experience now. I misplaced my card and so I set-up an alert to notify me when the card is used. I found the card and went back to the PC Financial website to turn off the alert. When I went through the steps, the website kept showing an error. I phoned PC Financial and they said the problem was being worked on. In the meantime I was getting emails every time I made a purchase of any kind. Annoying! Over 6 weeks later and I still cannot turn off the alert.

2nd problem. I have used MINT budgeting program for years and it was working just fine with PC Financial. Then after some changes to their website, my banking transactions would not download to MINT. This has gone on for 2 months now. I cannot track my spending or budgets using MINT since PC Mastercard was my primary credit card that I used for everything. I don't really want to change credit cards but I may have to.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I applied for a PC Financial Mastercard for the excellent return on Optimum points, especially shopping at Shoppers Drug Mart and Superstore. That was five months ago, and I've transferred many auto payments and spent thousands of dollars on the card, but have yet to see a single point due to technical issues. PC Mastercard tells me that it's a PC Optimum issue, PC Optimum customer service says it's a PC Mastercard issue. I've called every week for five months now, and no updates, no follow up, no resolution. I am missing 150,000 to 200,000 points now, and have contacted the Ombudsman at PC Financial, and urge others to do the same if complaints are not being resolved in a timely manner. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have been a PC MasterCard users for a long time and a big fan too. I have told many people about it - how you can quickly cash in your points. But not anymore - this recent online login changes have made me think twice about keeping this card. I may cancel it. So the other day I tried logging into the website and was told that I will need to verify my account where I will need to enter Card number etc. The first thought that came to my mind was this is a Phishing website.

I entered my credentials again, and the same thing. I then entered a wrong password intentionally, it still said the same thing. Now I am even more suspicious. So I called the Customer Service and was told that it is a legit website and I will need to re-register with them. HUH??? So I told the rep, how come no one sent me any notification? Her reply was, they were not sure when this would come about. Is that how you handle a major change in your online presence? Very very inefficient. I am going to cancel my account - I do not feel comfortable dealing with people that are this inefficient.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have had a PC Mastercard for about 5 years now. I love their points system. My wife and I would always get gas at Superstore and would receive approximately 20 dollars every 2 weeks worth of points to spend on groceries. It felt almost too good to be true, but all good things come to an end I guess... I have never had any issues with them until about 2 months ago. When I tried logging into my account online it says that my account has been blocked and to call customer support. The 3 different people I have talked to just say that it's a "technical issue" and they're working on it. Any good company would have fixed an issue like this in a day or two, but 2 months is ridiculous. The only way for me to check my account balance is to call a customer support agent and get them to tell me or else ask them to mail me a monthly paper statement.

Long story short, I'm going to be calling them today to find out my exact balance so I can pay it off and cut up my card. There are many other credit card companies who provide better customer service. Personally, I'll be going with Canadian Tire and their Triangle mastercard. I'm disappointed that it has come to this, but I can't be patient anymore with a c/c company that doesn't take these issues seriously enough.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I, like everyone else, have had the same difficulties in trying to log on to the PCF MasterCard online account system. However, I only recently received my card and thought it was just my problem as I was trying to register. I too received the same response that my card number hasn't been uploaded to their system yet and I should call back in a week or so. From reading the complaints - it definitely is a scripted response. I emailed the "talktous" web address several times and was told to telephone because they only answer general questions. I was also told that I should log in to my account and send them a "secure" message about the account I can't access! There is another web address/telephone for "Customer Care" and I did get a phone call about my email. I thought I'd check for complaints before I bothered to call the gentleman back...perhaps I won't bother!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I received an email from PC Financial that enticed me to register for a MasterCard with them. The email stated I would receive 75,000 PC points. That's $75 value in groceries. As a PC optimum points holder, I was definitely intrigued. I had received the card and still for one month, I am unable to sign in. I've called 4 times and each time, the representative just states that because I am still a new customer that my information is not on their data system yet. I find that extremely funny that each time I've called in the last month that is the excuse they provide. I am the primary account holder and my boyfriend also has a card with them on my account and he can sign in perfectly fine. So... the excuse is not valid. Do not give in and get the card. It will give you many troubles!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Many of these reviews in the last recent months are so true! I can't log onto my Mastercard account and the call center reps are doing nothing to solve the issue. They are wasting time with useless solutions. Are they instructed to do so? I'll be canceling this PC Mastercard account very soon and will never go back or suggest. PC Financial has ruined themselves since separating from the CIBC.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I received my card last month, and as of now I am STILL unable to access my account online. I have phoned in 4 times, each person tells me to try again in a couple of days because they have 'escalated' the issue to their IT department. WTF kind of customer support is this? Not once have I received a callback or any explanation as to why it's taking me a month to access my account. Customer support is outsourced to India/Philippines, so the person is always reading off a useless script and does not really understand the issue. Garbage support - I regret signing up for this card. Clearly I'm not the only one experiencing a complete lack of service.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have been a customer of PC Financial for years. I have always accessed my account online and I check my account frequently. The day PC rolled out a new website was when my frustrations began. I am constantly denied access and blocked. I have never once successfully accessed my account with the new system. It has been two months!

I have called tech support numerous times and each time they make me go through the same song and dance: clear cookies, try different devices and browsers etc... The result is always the same. I am told to try again later. Despite my requests to escalate, I have never received a callback from customer service. FINALLY a tech support supervisor has contacted me. She is lovely and calls me once or twice a week with the same result. NO ACCESS. After 2 months, I have finally receive a paper copy of my statement. I have 4 pages of transactions to review! What a test of my memory!

I wrote a letter to PC Financial explaining my frustrations... They replied telling me to call customer service!!! I have lost track of the hours I have spent on this. IT IS UNACCEPTABLE. I can no longer recommend this product. This process has taught me that PC Financial is incapable of communication with the customer and internally. I was very patient but isn't 2 months of requesting help enough? I have stopped using the card.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Trying to review my Mastercard statement and stating site upgrade and will not let me log in. Wants credit card # plus CVC #. NOT comfortable giving this without being logged into my account... Fishy???

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I have read most of the reviews and I am experiencing the same problems. Since the website upgrade, MINT has stopped working and I have not been able to login to the website. Every time I login it says "your account is blocked". I have called in 6 times so far and they keep telling me it will be fixed in a few hours. It's now been close to 2 months now. They clearly have no intention of fixing the issue. I even went on Twitter to see if I could get help and I got the same robot response. I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years and I am getting no help whatsoever. The website change has been the worst decision they have ever made. I will be sadly changing credit cards in the next week since they clearly have no eta on a fix. Good riddance PC Mastercard!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

For the past 3 weeks have been trying to access my account online and have spoken to at least 4 phone contacts to no avail. Bottom line you will have to use paper statements??? Have wasted many hours of my life trying to resolve this. Will not connect me to someone who will do something. No one on a higher level ever available. They did call me at 3.30 in the morning. Did they really expect me to answer at this time? Need to get rid of my card. It's of no use when online banking is no longer available AND NO SUPPORT AVAILABLE. Unbelievable. Where is Galen now?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

After changing my password, I was locked out of my account and then denied access altogether. I've called PC Financial 3 times over the last two days, and it's clear they have no idea how to fix the situation. I see from other reviews that this is linked to the recent re-vamp of the website, but PC Financial gave no indication of this and even suggested at first that it was a problem with my browser or Internet provider (I've since tried four browsers, two Internet providers, two computers and one smartphone). It's clear that they don't know what's wrong or how to fix it - they're just buying time by saying it will be fixed in an hour, then a day, then 3 days, etc. I will terminate this card if this isn't fixed soon, as this suggests to me that they don't know what they're doing.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I've spent weeks trying to figure out how to download transactions from my PC MasterCard to Quicken. It never occurred to me that they would take the functionality away!!! Or why don't they have a note in their FAQ telling us that the functionality is gone instead of making me look for it! Why would they do that? Now I will have to switch CC's as I refuse to enter transactions manually. Not impressed.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have always been able to go online and determine my points and my expenditures. Then it was decided to increase the security. I can no longer access my account and despite numerous calls to PC Financial, I have had no success. No one at the phone number on my card can assist me and it is now two months since I could check my status online. What good is increased security if it stops all access to my knowing the details of my account? I am totally unimpressed and irritated. Why can I not be assisted by the person who is responding for PC Financial MasterCard? This is a ridiculous way to increase your PR!

President's Choice Financial Company Information