1.31/5

80 PayPal Prepaid MasterCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2019

It has been almost a month! Get the runaround on the phone how they will call and resolve the issue! They stole 265.00 from my client! This is bs. They say they are gonna trace things and get them resolved! They stole our money! Horrible customer service! Blames PayPal for the issue! Sick of this!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had fraud on my card while I was on vacation. I worked for hours back and forth on the phone with them for them to tell me there was nothing they could do but send a new card to the address on file, a week later, I have no card and again call to finally get a supervisor who tells me that they can MoneyGram me the balance. I wait on hold AGAIN for 30 min while he called the back office only to be hung up on. THIS IS THE 5th time I have either been hung up on or told I will receive a call in up to four business hours. I don't even know what to do anymore, there is no accountability and I cannot find someone who speaks English well enough to understand my immediate problem. We are talking hundreds of dollars here not just a few bucks.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I’ve been with PayPal for many years but the last year or so they’ve dropped the ball on a lot of things. Dispute procedures are not in favor of the consumer anymore, they are constantly making changes and not notifying the consumer. The customer service is subpar and that’s being nice! I will no longer be doing business with them after I get my money back. Please do yourself a favor, choose another platform to run your businesses.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I ordered some merchandise from a website using my PayPal debit card thinking that I would be protected if I didn’t receive my order and never got the merchandise which prompted me to request a refund thru PayPal. They told me to see if I could work it out with the merchant which I did and I went back to The PayPal website and requested a refund again and when I did not hear back from PayPal I went onto their Twitter and complained and still got no resolution so I gave up.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I had purchased a PayPal Prepaid Mastercard last Wednesday to hold extra funds. After paying $22 and some change I activated it online. On Monday I had used an ATM to test out my PIN and everything. Withdrew 100 out of my funds. Last night I went to the ATM to withdraw more money out of my account and was declined the 3 times that I've tried not knowing why. Mind you I was able to check my balance on the card around noon yesterday and then when I went to go withdrawal money I checked my account again. After being declined at the ATM I found out that my account had been locked.

So, I called customer service. Got a hold of a rep explaining that I had gotten locked out of account and she told me that she had to transfer me to the fraud claims department whatever...so I spoke to the rep that I was transferred to. I explained what was going on and she told me that I had to send a copy of the receipt via email to show proof that I had purchased the card in which in my mind this doesn't make sense and of course I didn't keep the receipt because I had already done activated it. I told her (the rep) that I didn't have the receipt because I had already activated it (because once something is already purchased and activated who would think to keep the receipt, right?) then she told me to go back to the grocery store that I had purchased the card from to get a copy of the receipt to show proof of purchase.

Now mind you some stores can't look up a receipt unless you had purchased something via debit/credit card. When purchasing this card you have to pay cash mind you and I tried telling this rep that this doesn't make sense because I hadn't had it more than a week and the account had already been locked. No one else had my card. All I did was to test my PIN to make sure that I could withdrawal money. To no avail I had gotten nowhere and I was becoming more livid while speaking to this rep because the same thing was being repeated over and over again and she couldn't even tell me why my account had been locked and she worked in the fraud/claims department.

After asking what would happen if no receipt could be obtained from the store then what I could do next (I'm still waiting for the actual card in the mail mind you) she said that I could have whatever money that I have on my card can be sent to me and the account will be closed. I have over 1000 dollars of funds on that card. If I don't get the proper funds back or anything like that and I keep getting the same answers over again like I had done last night I'm going to be livid and no nice words will be said.

How can you run a business and have employees who knows nothing about their job and how to help their customers? The rave about PayPal Debit Mastercard and possibly PayPal in general ain't what it's all cracked up to be. After reading the reviews I think that PayPal themselves should be categorized as frauds since they can't help their customers in a proper manner let alone how they also RIP their customers off as well. Poor. Very poor company that's being ran.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Prepaid MasterCard?

Original review: March 12, 2019

I was on the phone for the 5th time with PayPal and PayPal Prepaid Debit Services regarding why I cannot transfer money from my PayPal Account (for which I have been a member since its inception) and my PayPal Prepaid Debit Card. I have not surpassed the monthly transfer limit and have moved money 3 times with no issue until now.

After trying to troubleshoot the problem with PayPal for a couple of hours...the PayPal customer service agent explained to me that I am no longer allowed to transfer money from my PayPal account to my new PayPal Prepaid Debit Card. When I asked why, the supervisor (yes it was escalated to the supervisor) told me that there is a security risk sending money from PayPal to the PayPal Prepaid Debit Card. When I asked what was the risk, she replied "I cannot tell you why".

PayPal cannot tell me what the risk is on service that they offer! Again I ask, what is the risk and why was I not notified via email? The PayPal agent then stated that the system may detect risks and freeze the account. So I ask again, what risk was identified? Is it hacking, someone attempting to gain access to my account? PayPal agent response... "I cannot tell you why." Really? This is my account and you cannot tell me anything regarding the activated security risk.

I then ask if and when I can resume using my PayPal Prepaid Debit card account. The agent says "I cannot tell you that". "You cannot tell me when I can resume using my PayPal Debit Card again." "No Sir". So let me get this straight PayPal... You freeze transfers between PayPal and Paypal Prepaid Debit Card Accounts without notifying the customer of a security issue. You can't tell the owner of the card what the security risk is and why it occurred. You cannot tell me when the use of my card will be restored. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS CARD! NOT worth THE $4.95 monthly service charge!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I'm not sure why this has so many bad reviews, I have nothing but positive things to say about this card. First of all it was very simple to order a permanent card (provided that you already have a PayPal account). Second, the 5 dollar a month fee is nothing compared to most banks that charge $15! Okay so you might complain about customer service? Well I have also had great experiences there too, this guy I talked to gave me a credit within 1 hour while they tried to fight a case for me!

Also, I used this card for my tax refund and it got here 2 weeks earlier than my gf's. Oh and I can easily reload this card with cash at Family Dollar, Dollar General no problem! This card never gets declined, no hidden fees, website is always working, I can't say that for Citibank or Bank of Sierra that's for sure. I don't know why these people have had bad experiences but this is so far the best bank I've had (and it's not even a bank).

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The main reason I got this card several years was to be able to transfer money from my PayPal account to the card. Until about six months ago I had no issues. But since then I keep on getting a message that I can't do a transfer whenever I try to do so. Numerous emails and phone calls have not resulted in a resolution. You email them and you get a canned response to log out and back into your account and if you continue to have problems to email them again or contact customer service. You call them and usually don't get somebody who speaks English.

The other day I asked the person to repeat what she was saying and instead of doing that she hung up on me. And today another person said I could use direct deposit as an alternative. Sure. That is like going to the store and they tell you they are out of bread so you can buy milk instead. The only way I can add money to this card is to go to the store and do it in person but it costs me a 3.95 processing fee each time. And on top of that a 4.95 monthly maintenance fee. I am OK with the maintenance fee but not the 4 bucks each time I load the card. I have a large balance in my PayPal account so being able to do the instant transfer was both very convenient and it cost me nothing.

If it is no longer an option to transfer money from your PayPal account to the card it should be removed as an option on the menu. All I will say is if you ever have to deal with PayPal customer service is good luck. You will need it. I wish I could give this card a negative rating because that is what it deserves. Giving it 1 star is being way too generous but there was nothing lower than that. My advice to everybody is don't get this card because it doesn't offer you any real benefits. The only thing it gives you is a lot of aggravation.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I want to share my experience with PayPal MasterCard which it was only 3 months. They charge high interests from first month and it is so hard to catch them on phone. Probably you will be on the waiting list for long time. Compare to other credit cards I would put 1 star for this card, most of current credit cards don't even charge interests or fees for 1st year.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I did a transfer from my PayPal account to my debit card on file and was told the funds would be available in 30 min. After the transfer was done and 30 min passed I have still not received my money and it is not in my PayPal account or debit account and it is now 2 days later. I called PayPal and they said they needed to do a review and it takes 72 hours. This money was sent and in my PayPal account and was good enough to spend from their website but not good enough for me to have on my debit card right away. My bank or Western Union would have taken care of this in minutes. The sender sent the money from their debit card so there is money in their account.

This was not a credit card transaction... it was all debit. PayPal could have avoided this by making two simple calls to verify both of our social security numbers or debit numbers and iPhone and addresses..but instead they have to have full control I don't recommend using PayPal in situations such as this if you need your money fast. It truly is a hassle and inconvenient way to get cash from family and friends. I'm sure they don't care because its not their income or bills that get put off.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Every company that I have ever had a card account with allows you to put a note on the account. So that when you travel your card won't be shut off potentially on your trip. This company won't do this for you. They feel that we cannot be trusted to travel outside of our hometown without having your card shut off at some point. And then you are able to call them and let them know you are travelling. So now say you just tried to buy your grandchild a gift or treat. Oh wait you can't. The card was shut off because you bought toothpaste at a duty free store in the Denver airport a few hours earlier. How embarrassing would that be. And the disappointment on the child's face. This company not only doesn't trust you with your money but it looks like they hate children. I for one am going to move my money to a different account. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Ok I had a PayPal prepaid card for about 2 years with no problems. But a few weeks ago I tried to load money on the card through instant transfer through my PayPal account. It would not go through, I tried several times before I contacted customer service and was told to load the card using PayPal and that it would take 3-5 business days, unfortunately the only place I can transfer funds from PayPal is to my bank. Even though my card was linked, PayPal did not give the option of adding funds to it.

Someone told me to load funds at Walmart, and I explained that I was not driving to Walmart or anywhere else to pay to load money on a card when PayPal was suppose to transfer funds at no charge. One lady told me there was a restriction on my PayPal account and asked if I had funds in it. Well after about 3 days of arguing with them, they were shocked when I called to cancel my account. I simply explained that I was not paying 4.95 a month for a card that I could not load in the way I usually did.

I signed up for a prepaid card from my bank. I can reload it at no charge through my bank account. The only reason I have one is so I can use it at a gas pump or anywhere else when I do not want to use a credit card. Word of advice do not do the direct deposit, do not load large amounts on the card, even if you have to write checks, or buy money orders I only load on a prepaid card what I need to cover my minor expenses for a day or two and never over 50.00.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I noticed a charge on my prepaid PayPal debit card I did not authorize. I call in the lady tells me I have to wait until the merchant takes the money out or something like that before I could even make a claim but meanwhile the funds are already out of my account. I call back a week later to make the claim. The previous lady said I could call and ask for a temporary credit so I do so. The lady then tells me I have to write a email and it still would take 10 days if they did decide to give me a temporary credit. If not it could take 45 days to get my money back. They charge a monthly premium all types of fees to reload and use the card but barely any protection for the consumer.

Anyway I get pretty angry so the lady doesn't even tell me she is transferring me to someone else. She just puts me on hold for about 15 minutes and some guy gets on. I was really upset he would refuse to give me the ladies name. He said his name was Edna ** and his employee # is ** if he was telling the truth which I doubt. So not only am I not protected for my transactions but the customer service is terrible. I would not recommend this card for anyone.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Bought the card at a 7-Eleven with cash. They tell me I have to load a min of 10 dollars so I do to activate it. Then I realize you have to go online to really activate the card. I fill out the form for a friend. I used her name thinking it's for her. They automatically deny my card and customer service says they can't do anything. So basically I got taken for 14.00 from these crooks transferred back and forth 5 times. Before I gave up the person tells me because it's a Sunday they can't further process my card. I gave them all the info they asked and got nowhere. Waste of money. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I bought a PayPal prepaid MasterCard because I do some reselling and use Paypal a lot. It initially charges you a 4.95 fee when purchasing. Then it states on the card that it is reloadable and can be used anywhere Paypal is accepted. It states nowhere that you will be charged more fees the minute you register it, there goes another $10 or more dollars. When trying to use it I couldn't, every purchase went into pend mode and never went through. Immediately I went to find reviews on it and found nothing good so I cancelled it. It states clearly that you will be refunded any amount left on the card. What a lie that was, they took all of my money and sent me a check for $2 out of the $100 that was on there to start. Paypal should be ashamed to rip people off like that. I was forced to give a star but it deserves zero stars. When calling I got a person that spoke almost no English and ran me in circles so I gave up and won't ever use them again.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Stayed at a hotel and paid with this dumb card. The hotel proceeded to charge me an extra night after check out. Called PayPal to have card blocked since May 25th. Account went into overdraft still have yet to get my money. It’s June 12th. Rachel ** was very very unprofessional spoke in a demeaning tone and did not share any new info. I’ve been with the company 2 years. Will be closing account once my money is returned. Never ever suggesting this card to anyone with a brain. If I wanted to get ** around I would have stayed with Wells Fargo. Do not waste your time. They don’t even work with you or give you a credit in the meantime, even after all the correct information is provided and you waited for the claim. Do yourself a favor do research. Don’t just sign up for anything.

Updated on 06/12/2018: Called back spoke with a Mel **. Laughed at me explaining the issue. Put me on hold just to reroute my call to the automated service. Closing account with or without refund. Not worth it. I don’t suggest anyone bothers use Chime Bank or Cash App.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have NEVER had so much frustration with a bank or card. It's been a WEEK since I purchased the card, they do NOT know where I can reload the card, everywhere I tried wouldn't do it except Family dollar. They tell you it's a 2.95 charge which is actually 3.95. And the customer service keeps telling me to send my address to create an account that I have to wait 6 HOURS for, who the HELL makes you wait 6 HOURS for a ** OPEN ACCOUNT tie that in with them CONSTANTLY locking my account every 6 HOURS.

I had to call them 6 ** TIMES. 6x6. You do the math. That's a day and a half and my account is still blocked, and they have the documents, the last call she put me on hold for 10 minutes and hung up when they closed so I couldn't call back and complain, so now I have money on the account I cannot use until you call them tomorrow and wait another,** hours!!! Believe me if I did NOT have to use this company temporarily I would NEVER use it and once my bank account is back to where it should be I'm NEVER using PayPal Prepaid AGAIN.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I’m a Cancer Patient & was told this to all Representative & Managers. They knew I had an upcoming surgery for my 3rd Re-occurring Cancer. They knew how important & critical getting my money back was of an importance to me. On Feb 16, 2018 I made a purchase on PayPal to Merchant: World Wide Org. PayPal removed my funds of $1300.00. The Merchant called me said PayPal took the money, froze his account & holding the funds for 182 Days. I immediately called my PayPal Prepaid & they advise me to submit a Dispute in writing & did on February 20, 2018. They said I would get a provisional if anything after 10th day. The 10th day came & they said more time is needed. And they will review my case again on April 19th. Because PayPal refuses to release my funds.

I called PayPal after many calls with the Merchant, on three way. They ended up releasing the funds back to the Merchant's account. However, because his account was frozen. We had to call again and have them just transfer the $1300.00 back to my account. They said allow up to 48 hours max. I allowed that time & funds still not in my account. Finally the Manager from PayPal Prepaid, Manager of PayPal & I were on the line. The Manager of PayPal was taking my side. Said she wish there was something she can do to help me. But they already released the money back to PayPal Prepaid & they don’t have anything for me on their end.

The Manager at PayPal Prepaid just kept placing me on hold. And said because I told them this was an Approved charge. I didn’t qualify for that provisional during the 10th day of my Dispute. And because it’s on there that they will review & check back on April 19th. There is nothing I can do but just wait. It’s illegal for PayPal to hold my money & they immediately released the funds. That’s very smart of them to do. Now it’s also illegal for PayPal Prepaid to hold my money without my Authorization to them. I have cried & begged to them for my money to be released. I have done nothing illegal & it’s my money, not theirs.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I just got a text saying to call my card before using it again, so I did. Apparently without warning or reason, they closed my account, charged me an 8 dollar fee to close it and robbed me off my remaining balance. Do not use!!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I have had this card for over four years with my paycheck direct deposited every month. As I am checking to see if my paycheck has hit, I can't get into my account. I call to find out they closed the account over a week ago! They did not notify me or anything. One says it's due to fraud and another says it doesn't say why it was closed. They said they will be sending me a check for my refund of what was in my account within ten days. I am waiting on that. But now since they didn't tell me it was closed, my paycheck was sent to them. They told me it would bounce and come right back to my employer's bank. Now 24 hours and they still have not sent my paycheck back so my employer can cut me a check. The customer service is horrible and just tells you "sorry for your bad luck" pretty much. I just want my money. I have bills due that now I can't pay.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Don't be foolish enough to think you're buying a PayPal gift card. You pay the $2.95 fee to purchase the card, fine, but then it's $4.95 per month for the privilege of keeping a balance on it. When you call to activate it, you're directed to a fast talking overseas phone rep who informs you that due to Homeland Security Patriot Act blah blah blah you must give up your social security number, address, phone number, email address and a letter from your 3rd grade teacher (just kidding on the last).

Yes all of this is in the fine print mini-phone book issued with the card, but the packaging doesn't tell you that you are OPENING A BANK ACCOUNT. Not an ordinary one, though, something akin to a payday loan check cashing operation. Why yes, please direct deposit your paycheck with us. I wouldn't have gone through with any of this, but of course you cannot return the damn thing, so I spent the money I loaded on it, less the $4.95 fee of course, then called, closed the account and cut up the card. Utter waste of time and money, don't do it.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Paypal extras credit card advertises rewards but refuses to give them. No rewards are given on Paypal extras credit card. If you are looking for a rewards card, keep looking, Paypal gives you points that you can't redeem. The paypal extras mastercard is a scam. As this paypal credit card lies about the rewards, I do not trust paypal for sending money electronically either. I don't want to keep money in the paypal account overnight because it might not be there in the morning.

Original review: March 5, 2018

At the beginning of Feb 2018 I loaded $ 900.00 into my account. I bought gas nearby and then to a smoke shop for cigarettes. The next morning I got a text alert that my account was at a zero balance. I called, filed a claim, sent them the dispute letter they asked for and have called at least a half a dozen times. In their policy it states that should fraud occur and you report it quickly that a provisional credit of funds depleted from your account in connection with fraud can be credited back to your account within 10 days. Which still seems crazy to me when that is someone's livelihood. I couldn't pay my rent or any other bill for that matter and living on a limited income I had no savings.

I'm now living in my car! It's cold outside and I don't know how, even if they credit the funds back, I'm going to be able to find a new place to live having to pay all the move in expenses it takes. It's now the beginning of March and there still has been no credit, when I called last they said I would have an update (not a credit AN UPDATE) from the fraud dept on March 12! I asked to be connected with them but PayPal declines stating that customers don't have access to that dept. It's internal only! I since can't work now, no money coming in, no money for food or shelter, 900.00 taken, no protection from PayPal and now I'm jobless and homeless! Thank you PayPal (prepaid Mastercard issued by Green Dot) for protecting my money and me!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have a PayPal MasterCard not a PayPal balance. On Jan 19 PayPal withdrew 1000.00 from my checking acct without authorization. Bank made them refund on Feb and Feb 8 PayPal withdrew over 2000.00 from my acct. Bank got it back. Called PayPal to close acct. Said they can't close it because I owe them a 1000.00 for PayPal balance.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I used to have a PayPal debit card a long time ago & it worked great with no fees, but it was discontinued years ago. When I got a message for this one I assumed they had restarted the old card service again, so I signed up. Let me be clear, THIS IS A SCAM BY PAYPAL! Pure & simple. What they don't tell you is this; there is a 29¢ fee for each transaction & a $4.99 fee per month. So, as soon as you put money on the card they take out 5 bucks. Then you get mad & cancel your account, but they have your $5.28. If they do this to millions of people it adds up to a lot of stolen money for PayPal. I'm sure it tells you about this in the endless pages of agreement that you agreed to but no one reads.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Terrible customer service. They talk right over you. After purchasing prepaid card 2 days ago, still not able to activate. I wanted to make it my preferred method of payment on eBay, error message (try again later). Outrageous fees. Tried using on Amazon it was rejected. It's too bad I had to give it 1 star it deserves 0.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

After receiving the MasterCard PayPal debit card as a Christmas gift, I attempted to activate it online. For some reason it did not activate and I was instructed to contact PayPal customer service, which I did. To talk to a real person I had to input my social security number first, I was then asked for SS#, date of birth, address and phone number, all of which I questioned for simple activation. After telling me I would be able to use my card anywhere, they then said I would receive another card in the mail to do so. They also stated fraud had placed a block on my account and I would need to send a photo of my driver's license and social security card, which I refused.

The only way to get the cash was to have them send a check and close the account, they attempted to take $4.95 for a service fee, but I asked for a supervisor and was refunded that amount. I will also be contacting MasterCard, but would advise everyone to stay away from this product. They told me the $4.95 was for a monthly charge and $1.00 per transaction, but with a regular MasterCard gift card you can use that card without providing any personal data and have access to every penny, not sure why anyone would go through all this hassle.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

The website states nothing about prepaid card not accepted. I entered my cards and they withdraw the activation fees, then when I finally got ahold of someone about adding the totals to my prepaid account they told me I could not do it that I lost the fees and that is too bad. We have thing we have to follow here too. I just wish someone explained this to me before they withdraw all the charges and left me with a prepaid card much less than what it was. I no longer could pay bill due to this. I have now closed account and would tell EVERYONE DO NOT GO THRU PAYPAL. Find info out before you join to see if it fits your situation.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I closed my NetSpend account due to atrocious customer service. Nowhere on the PayPal Prepaid MasterCard site does it reveal that this card is operated by NetSpend. After I received it and discovered that fact, I started arranging for a different account (check out Chime). Same off shore customer service with agents who cannot understand you, they just answer the phone "PayPal Prepaid Mastercard". I will not do business with NetSpend again, no matter what name they use.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am a cancer patient and family and friends had a fundraiser for me on Facebook. Only raised 201.00 dollars. It was transferred onto my PayPal prepaid after they took their cut. I only received 139.00 out of 201.00. That's 61 dollars not counting the monthly 6 dollars they charge.

PayPal Prepaid MasterCard expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PayPal, founded in 1998, is at the forefront of the digital payments revolution. In 2015 the company had 184 million active customer accounts in 200 markets with access to payments 100 currencies. The PayPal prepaid debit MasterCard is available to all PayPal account holders. The card is issued by The Bancorp Bank, a Member of the FDIC.

• ATM Access: The PayPal card can be used to withdraw cash at any MasterCard® ATM for a small fee. The fee is waived when making a withdrawal at an Allpoint ATM.

• Transaction limits: In compliance with Federal regulations, users can purchase up to $4,999 every 24 hours. Cash withdrawals are limited to $325 per withdrawal and $940 per day.

• Load from PayPal: Consumers may load funds onto the PayPal debit MasterCard with fund transfer from the linked PayPal Prepaid Card Savings Account. Additional loading can be transacted through the PayPal NetSpeed Reload Network.

• Free direct deposit: The funds from eight types of government payments, paychecks and tax refunds can all be directly deposited onto the PayPal debit card.

• Rewards programs: Cardholders can save money when the card is used to pay for qualifying merchandise and services as long as the card is linked to the consumer’s PayPal account. There are more opportunities for rewards through the tiered-rate Bancorp savings account. The Refer-a-Friend program rewards cardholders and their friends each with a $5 bonus.

• App account management: The app, available for AndroidTM and iPhone®, offers consumers access to their account balance, transactions, alerts and more.

• Best for: PayPal account holders, online buyers and business owners. Also, this card is useful for those with high purchase and cash withdrawal limits.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg