2.9/5 (334 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

PayPal Prepaid MasterCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Prepaid MasterCard?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Prepaid MasterCard?

Original review: June 20, 2022

I have used the guys for a very long time. Worst company ever. I want to switch banks, but I can't change my direct deposit. Very frustrating to say the least. However, I would highly suggest not to use this company. It isn't even really truly associated with PayPal.

Original review: April 12, 2022

I have had this card for about 3 months now, my tax return was deposited on it and I deposit cash daily because I have a small business. No problems at all, being a small business owner this card is very handy for daily deposits and no line waiting like at banks.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2022

I have had nothing but struggles with this entity from the start. First, they sit on your money when it goes into the account. I have had to file multiple disputes when refunds or deposits have been issued taking upwards of 60 days to have access to those funds. Still have one pending even though I closed the account. Very slow response times to message service. Unable to communicate effectively over phone due to language barriers. State they do direct deposit but it has never worked for me. Applied for a replacement card a month ago and still haven't received it so I closed the account. Horrible experience. Do not do it.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I bought PayPal prepaid card on CVS and added $40.00 plus fees, I only bought it to use it one time within three weeks but I had to activate it first in order to be use. I called PayPal and I was told that I need to pay a monthly fee and I said no I’m not going to continuing using this card as the only reason that I bought it was just to use it as a gift card. I requested my money back, I asked to deposit the money in my PayPal account & they said that the only way is sending the money through mail and I haven’t received my money back and has been 3 months. I’ve had called them back so many times and last time I got to talk to someone they told me that the check is on its way.. What? That’s just the same thing that customer service has told me every time I talk to them and I still not received my money back.. They should have let me withdraw my money from the card from from the ATM or drugstore, Publix that give cash back when you make a purchase.

Also last time I asked to talk to a supervisor as I’m really mortified of this lousy prepaid card customer services and the person or agent that spoke to me said that he’s going to transfer me to the manager left me waiting for over an hour on my phone and nobody picked up or answer the phone. After this last time talking with a representative I can’t get to talk to any other representative because PayPal prepaid phone number automated system bot ask for my card number or other information and it says that I’m not in their system and so the automatic phone system bot hung up on me & when I get to talk to someone always hang up the phone after me giving all my information. This the worst prepaid/gift card ever! STAY AWAY FROM PAYPAL PREPAID CARD. Is not the same as the real PAYPAL platform 3rd party to shop online and make or receive payments!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

This card is an ABSOLUTE waste of time. I cannot wait to throw it in the trash. Say for example you buy $120 worth of items for a store online, you then receive an email saying “One of the items has been refunded. You haven’t been charged. Your new total is $117.” When you check your prepaid card online, your account will say “$120 pending” and “$117 pending”. They will HOLD/take away those 2 amounts for about 24 days. Their whole “we'll get back to you in 48 hours” is laughable. 9 days is when they finally messaged me something completely unrelated. And don’t you DARE get gas with this card. $80 will be taken out, along with 2 separate transactions of however much money you actually pumped. So you’re looking at spending $200+ on a $60 gas charge. That you won’t receive your money back from for about 29 days.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I purchased a prepaid card back in Nov 2021 in the amount of $60 and called customer service to activate the card. I was told right away that the card was unable to be activated with no explanation. They were supposed to be sending a refund check that I waited 30 days for to receive. The check never came so I called customer service and was told they were going to issue another check. I asked if I could have them deposit into my PayPal account and was told a check refund was the only way to receive my money. I have been waiting a little over a week and now I'm on the phone for the 3rd time for resolution. I was told another check would be sent and I demanded to speak with a supervisor. I was told no supervisors were available for 20 mins. I advised I would hold and currently still holding as I'm typing. Bottomline, stay away from this prepaid card and use your local bank.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I had my phone stolen & they got my account numbers. My account was hacked, so I called PayPal Prepaid Mastercard customer service & cancelled my card. However before doing so I asked if we would still be able to access our money using my husband's card. I was reassured that wouldn't be a problem beings they have different numbers. I ordered a new card. So it begins, I loaded my husband's card with money for a hotel room, I wasn't able to use it because they also froze his card now.

I called & was told they understand but can't do anything about it that I have to send in a copy of my ID & social security card, ok no problem right? Wrong. They accept my social security card. Ok now my monthly social security check, along with my son's is loaded onto this card & has been since 2012. I have now called about 25 times resending information that they want to verify that I am me. In the meantime I received my new card.. I'm thinking yes finally I can get my money... Well no! They won't activate my new card! Now all of my bills are behind. I couldn't pay my rent so now we are homeless & I'm being told that I need a new social security card in order to get access to my money! The social security office in KY is still on lockdown so I can't get in to get one. I called & they can send me a number verification but PayPal won't accept that. I want my money. Now what. Do not get this card!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

This was a gift and with PayPal wanting to register the card and trying to set it up is a disaster. This card has not been able to use for over a year. 300 sit on it!! This gift idea has turned into a pure nightmare. DO NOT BUY!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

The company has blatantly lied to customers. For starters I purchased a prepaid PayPal card and they advise you can activate online, over the phone or on the app. Not true!!! I tried all methods and was advised I would need to speak with an agent and they are closed!! The faqs section even advises that any load under 500 would be limited!! I only loaded 140 and have to speak with an agent!!! I hope when they open I can just take my funds off and be done with this card already.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I just bought a prepaid PayPal MasterCard, tried to use it, and was locked out from logging in, because they say they texted me a passcode, which I never received. When I was completely locked out, I suddenly started receiving text messages with random numbers. I thought I was locked out!! Tried calling, and their service is closed. Very upsetting, as I have no doubt I’ve been swindled out of my balance, and all my personal information is on who-knows-what servers without security. Please, please just shut this criminal company down!

PayPal Prepaid MasterCard author review by Kathryn Parkman

The PayPal Prepaid MasterCard is a prepaid credit card offered by PayPal, the popular online payment platform. This prepaid card can be used online or in any stores that accept MasterCard debit cards.

• Pricing and fees: PayPal Prepaid MasterCards require a $4.95 monthly plan fee. The PayPal card can be used to withdraw cash at any MasterCard ATM for a $1.95 fee. The fee is waived when making a withdrawal at an Allpoint ATM.

• Reload options: Cardholders may load funds onto the PayPal debit MasterCard with fund transfer from the linked PayPal Prepaid Card Savings Account. Additional loading can be transacted through the PayPal NetSpeed Reload Network.

• Free direct deposit: The funds from eight types of government payments, paychecks and tax refunds can all be directly deposited onto the PayPal debit card.

• Rewards programs: Cardholders can save money when the card is used to pay for qualifying merchandise and services as long as the card is linked to the consumer’s PayPal account. There are more opportunities for rewards through the tiered-rate Bancorp savings account.

• App account management: The PayPal mobile app, available for Android and iPhone, offers consumers access to their account balance, transactions, alerts and more.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

PayPal Prepaid MasterCard Company Information