Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

PayPal Prepaid MasterCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Prepaid MasterCard?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Prepaid MasterCard?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

The company has blatantly lied to customers. For starters I purchased a prepaid PayPal card and they advise you can activate online, over the phone or on the app. Not true!!! I tried all methods and was advised I would need to speak with an agent and they are closed!! The faqs section even advises that any load under 500 would be limited!! I only loaded 140 and have to speak with an agent!!! I hope when they open I can just take my funds off and be done with this card already.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I just bought a prepaid PayPal MasterCard, tried to use it, and was locked out from logging in, because they say they texted me a passcode, which I never received. When I was completely locked out, I suddenly started receiving text messages with random numbers. I thought I was locked out!! Tried calling, and their service is closed. Very upsetting, as I have no doubt I’ve been swindled out of my balance, and all my personal information is on who-knows-what servers without security. Please, please just shut this criminal company down!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2021

You have to file a dispute if eBay refunds your money to get it back. Before I knew this I lost $60. My airline refunded the money and once again I have to file a dispute but it says pending on the transaction so I have to wait until that is up. My other cards I get the refund right then (cash app etc...) As soon as my money is off the card I am done. Customer service can hardly speak English. Oh by the way I have had this card account for over 6 years so I can honestly say it's a crappie service and you are better off getting a real card from a real local bank.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I recently filed a dispute with PayPal regarding a purchase made with my PayPal debit card. Quick summary. I stopped at a gas station while traveling and pumped some gas. I accidentally drove off with the nozzle still in my car. The attendant came outside and asked me to step inside. I was told I would have to pay $30 for the nozzle repair. I handed over my credit card and let them charge me. I never got a receipt or anything in writing regarding this transaction.

Fast forward a day or so later, I realize I was charged $300 instead of the $30 I was told I would be charged. So I filed a dispute with PayPal regarding an unauthorized charge. About a month later, my dispute was denied because I couldn't produce a receipt showing an incorrect charge. The gas station had to provide no proof. I emailed the Executive Office and got a rude employee named Catherine that was no help in finding a resolution. She talked down to me and I ended up hanging up the call. I have opened a BBB claim and sent a few emails and Catherine seems to be the only employee at PayPal answering me. Thought I would share my experience here.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I bought the card for the first time. The registration process is wearisome and very inconvenient, and they will charge you a lot of fees if you succeed. Can't register if you don't have a SSN, or are underage, or many other circumstances. The help as usual is some foreign guy, (kind, I will say) but they ask for the color of your socks to validate your info. Got sick of it, and asked for a refund. I hope it comes!... Next I buy a VISA prepaid card. I needed to make a purchase ASAP. Didn't work either, Needs to have 24 hours for the validation process... But I'll save that for the next review!!! Do not use any kind of services like this if you can avoid them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Order the PayPal card. Put money on it. Played games on the PayPal forum one money spent a month doing it and they don't show anything on my account. I enjoy the games but it is ridiculous. Call the card company. They explain to me that I did put money on it and they don't know why my accounts not being credited. I'd like to know too. You can give me a call **. Dave ** at your service. It's a real bummer I know that.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

My debit card was locked because of suspected fraud but I really needed a part for my computer. So, I bought a Prepaid “PayPal” card with $60.00 cash plus the 4.95 charge, only to find that I was unable to activate the card because the address on my Drivers License I provided was classified as a business. The customer service lady said the only she could send me a check in the amount of $64.95 to that address. I did not receive the check and it has been over 90 days. Just more disgusting scum with nothing but excuses, failed promises, lip service, lies and no action. Lesson learned. NEVER USE PREPAID CARDS.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I have a existing PayPal account with a debit card. I love it and have not had issues however I purchased a prepaid PayPal MasterCard for my daughter for her birthday. When I called to activate the card I was told that I was not eligible to activate the card and that they would send me a refund check in 7-10 business days. Had I known what a disappointment this card was going to be then I would have spent a few extra bucks and purchased the visa prepaid card. This was my first and last time purchasing a prepaid PayPal card.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

On December 19th around 5 p.m. I went to a Kroger grocery store in Atlanta Georgia to buy a PayPal prepaid card to pay my registration for my car and also pay for my luggage because I was leaving the next day to go out of town. As I paid for the card I put $250 of my money onto the card to pay for my luggage and my car registration. Before I left town I was informed that I needed to call customer service to activate the card so when I call the customer service they said they could not activate the card because someone had opened an account in my name and it got closed so they would have to mail me a check. That was 5 weeks ago. I haven't received anything from them. I've called them several times. I posted online that they haven't they haven't sent me anything of emailed them. I've called them and I still keep getting so it's going to be 10 days so it's going to be 15 days so it's going to be 15 days.

Well your 15 days have been up as of 20 days ago. I want my $250 back completely and you owe that money ties. You you stole that money basically and I told you that I would make it a point to go online and show how disrespectful you guys are. Two people and your customers customer service sucks. They don't know how to treat people with respect and the fact that I've already contacted Channel 2 News Channel 5 news in regards to the situation and also the Better Business Bureau because something has to be done for customers like I think you guys are stealing money from customers and you're not giving it back and that's not a good situation. I ended up going into Christmas with no money to buy my daughter. Nothing for Christmas. Thanks a lot PayPal. I really appreciate all your service. Not....

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Beware of the hidden fees! I bought this off a gift card rack in the store thinking it was a 20.00 gift card. After activating it and making a purchase I realized they charged me a 4.95 fee to activate the card and that there would be a 4.95 monthly fee every month. I called them to cancel the card, they told me I couldn’t until that purchase was no longer pending. After the purchase cleared I called again. After 30 minutes of trying I was unsuccessful at getting past being put on hold. I called again today, told them to cancel my account and refund my 4.50 balance. They told me that to refund my balance would cost me a 5.00 fee, and since that was more than was on my card I would have to pay them. I told them it was an expensive lesson for me, but just keep my money and cancel the card because I was not going to pay them a monthly fee. I just wanted a 20.00 gift card for my son, instead my son got a 9.55 gift and I was forced to give PayPal a 10.45 gift.

PayPal Prepaid MasterCard author review by Barbara Friedberg

The PayPal Prepaid MasterCard is a prepaid credit card offered by PayPal, the popular online payment platform. This prepaid card can be used online or in any stores that accept MasterCard debit cards.

• Pricing and fees: PayPal Prepaid MasterCards require a $4.95 monthly plan fee. The PayPal card can be used to withdraw cash at any MasterCard ATM for a $1.95 fee. The fee is waived when making a withdrawal at an Allpoint ATM.

• Reload options: Cardholders may load funds onto the PayPal debit MasterCard with fund transfer from the linked PayPal Prepaid Card Savings Account. Additional loading can be transacted through the PayPal NetSpeed Reload Network.

• Free direct deposit: The funds from eight types of government payments, paychecks and tax refunds can all be directly deposited onto the PayPal debit card.

• Rewards programs: Cardholders can save money when the card is used to pay for qualifying merchandise and services as long as the card is linked to the consumer’s PayPal account. There are more opportunities for rewards through the tiered-rate Bancorp savings account.

• App account management: The PayPal mobile app, available for Android and iPhone, offers consumers access to their account balance, transactions, alerts and more.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor