Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.28/5

89 PayPal Prepaid MasterCard Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had fraud on my card while I was on vacation. I worked for hours back and forth on the phone with them for them to tell me there was nothing they could do but send a new card to the address on file, a week later, I have no card and again call to finally get a supervisor who tells me that they can MoneyGram me the balance. I wait on hold AGAIN for 30 min while he called the back office only to be hung up on. THIS IS THE 5th time I have either been hung up on or told I will receive a call in up to four business hours. I don't even know what to do anymore, there is no accountability and I cannot find someone who speaks English well enough to understand my immediate problem. We are talking hundreds of dollars here not just a few bucks.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I’ve been with PayPal for many years but the last year or so they’ve dropped the ball on a lot of things. Dispute procedures are not in favor of the consumer anymore, they are constantly making changes and not notifying the consumer. The customer service is subpar and that’s being nice! I will no longer be doing business with them after I get my money back. Please do yourself a favor, choose another platform to run your businesses.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I ordered some merchandise from a website using my PayPal debit card thinking that I would be protected if I didn’t receive my order and never got the merchandise which prompted me to request a refund thru PayPal. They told me to see if I could work it out with the merchant which I did and I went back to The PayPal website and requested a refund again and when I did not hear back from PayPal I went onto their Twitter and complained and still got no resolution so I gave up.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I had purchased a PayPal Prepaid Mastercard last Wednesday to hold extra funds. After paying $22 and some change I activated it online. On Monday I had used an ATM to test out my PIN and everything. Withdrew 100 out of my funds. Last night I went to the ATM to withdraw more money out of my account and was declined the 3 times that I've tried not knowing why. Mind you I was able to check my balance on the card around noon yesterday and then when I went to go withdrawal money I checked my account again. After being declined at the ATM I found out that my account had been locked.

So, I called customer service. Got a hold of a rep explaining that I had gotten locked out of account and she told me that she had to transfer me to the fraud claims department whatever...so I spoke to the rep that I was transferred to. I explained what was going on and she told me that I had to send a copy of the receipt via email to show proof that I had purchased the card in which in my mind this doesn't make sense and of course I didn't keep the receipt because I had already done activated it. I told her (the rep) that I didn't have the receipt because I had already activated it (because once something is already purchased and activated who would think to keep the receipt, right?) then she told me to go back to the grocery store that I had purchased the card from to get a copy of the receipt to show proof of purchase.

Now mind you some stores can't look up a receipt unless you had purchased something via debit/credit card. When purchasing this card you have to pay cash mind you and I tried telling this rep that this doesn't make sense because I hadn't had it more than a week and the account had already been locked. No one else had my card. All I did was to test my PIN to make sure that I could withdrawal money. To no avail I had gotten nowhere and I was becoming more livid while speaking to this rep because the same thing was being repeated over and over again and she couldn't even tell me why my account had been locked and she worked in the fraud/claims department.

After asking what would happen if no receipt could be obtained from the store then what I could do next (I'm still waiting for the actual card in the mail mind you) she said that I could have whatever money that I have on my card can be sent to me and the account will be closed. I have over 1000 dollars of funds on that card. If I don't get the proper funds back or anything like that and I keep getting the same answers over again like I had done last night I'm going to be livid and no nice words will be said.

How can you run a business and have employees who knows nothing about their job and how to help their customers? The rave about PayPal Debit Mastercard and possibly PayPal in general ain't what it's all cracked up to be. After reading the reviews I think that PayPal themselves should be categorized as frauds since they can't help their customers in a proper manner let alone how they also RIP their customers off as well. Poor. Very poor company that's being ran.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I was on the phone for the 5th time with PayPal and PayPal Prepaid Debit Services regarding why I cannot transfer money from my PayPal Account (for which I have been a member since its inception) and my PayPal Prepaid Debit Card. I have not surpassed the monthly transfer limit and have moved money 3 times with no issue until now.

After trying to troubleshoot the problem with PayPal for a couple of hours...the PayPal customer service agent explained to me that I am no longer allowed to transfer money from my PayPal account to my new PayPal Prepaid Debit Card. When I asked why, the supervisor (yes it was escalated to the supervisor) told me that there is a security risk sending money from PayPal to the PayPal Prepaid Debit Card. When I asked what was the risk, she replied "I cannot tell you why".

PayPal cannot tell me what the risk is on service that they offer! Again I ask, what is the risk and why was I not notified via email? The PayPal agent then stated that the system may detect risks and freeze the account. So I ask again, what risk was identified? Is it hacking, someone attempting to gain access to my account? PayPal agent response... "I cannot tell you why." Really? This is my account and you cannot tell me anything regarding the activated security risk.

I then ask if and when I can resume using my PayPal Prepaid Debit card account. The agent says "I cannot tell you that". "You cannot tell me when I can resume using my PayPal Debit Card again." "No Sir". So let me get this straight PayPal... You freeze transfers between PayPal and Paypal Prepaid Debit Card Accounts without notifying the customer of a security issue. You can't tell the owner of the card what the security risk is and why it occurred. You cannot tell me when the use of my card will be restored. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS CARD! NOT worth THE $4.95 monthly service charge!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Prepaid MasterCard?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I'm not sure why this has so many bad reviews, I have nothing but positive things to say about this card. First of all it was very simple to order a permanent card (provided that you already have a PayPal account). Second, the 5 dollar a month fee is nothing compared to most banks that charge $15! Okay so you might complain about customer service? Well I have also had great experiences there too, this guy I talked to gave me a credit within 1 hour while they tried to fight a case for me!

Also, I used this card for my tax refund and it got here 2 weeks earlier than my gf's. Oh and I can easily reload this card with cash at Family Dollar, Dollar General no problem! This card never gets declined, no hidden fees, website is always working, I can't say that for Citibank or Bank of Sierra that's for sure. I don't know why these people have had bad experiences but this is so far the best bank I've had (and it's not even a bank).

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The main reason I got this card several years was to be able to transfer money from my PayPal account to the card. Until about six months ago I had no issues. But since then I keep on getting a message that I can't do a transfer whenever I try to do so. Numerous emails and phone calls have not resulted in a resolution. You email them and you get a canned response to log out and back into your account and if you continue to have problems to email them again or contact customer service. You call them and usually don't get somebody who speaks English.

The other day I asked the person to repeat what she was saying and instead of doing that she hung up on me. And today another person said I could use direct deposit as an alternative. Sure. That is like going to the store and they tell you they are out of bread so you can buy milk instead. The only way I can add money to this card is to go to the store and do it in person but it costs me a 3.95 processing fee each time. And on top of that a 4.95 monthly maintenance fee. I am OK with the maintenance fee but not the 4 bucks each time I load the card. I have a large balance in my PayPal account so being able to do the instant transfer was both very convenient and it cost me nothing.

If it is no longer an option to transfer money from your PayPal account to the card it should be removed as an option on the menu. All I will say is if you ever have to deal with PayPal customer service is good luck. You will need it. I wish I could give this card a negative rating because that is what it deserves. Giving it 1 star is being way too generous but there was nothing lower than that. My advice to everybody is don't get this card because it doesn't offer you any real benefits. The only thing it gives you is a lot of aggravation.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I want to share my experience with PayPal MasterCard which it was only 3 months. They charge high interests from first month and it is so hard to catch them on phone. Probably you will be on the waiting list for long time. Compare to other credit cards I would put 1 star for this card, most of current credit cards don't even charge interests or fees for 1st year.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I did a transfer from my PayPal account to my debit card on file and was told the funds would be available in 30 min. After the transfer was done and 30 min passed I have still not received my money and it is not in my PayPal account or debit account and it is now 2 days later. I called PayPal and they said they needed to do a review and it takes 72 hours. This money was sent and in my PayPal account and was good enough to spend from their website but not good enough for me to have on my debit card right away. My bank or Western Union would have taken care of this in minutes. The sender sent the money from their debit card so there is money in their account.

This was not a credit card transaction... it was all debit. PayPal could have avoided this by making two simple calls to verify both of our social security numbers or debit numbers and iPhone and addresses..but instead they have to have full control I don't recommend using PayPal in situations such as this if you need your money fast. It truly is a hassle and inconvenient way to get cash from family and friends. I'm sure they don't care because its not their income or bills that get put off.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Every company that I have ever had a card account with allows you to put a note on the account. So that when you travel your card won't be shut off potentially on your trip. This company won't do this for you. They feel that we cannot be trusted to travel outside of our hometown without having your card shut off at some point. And then you are able to call them and let them know you are travelling. So now say you just tried to buy your grandchild a gift or treat. Oh wait you can't. The card was shut off because you bought toothpaste at a duty free store in the Denver airport a few hours earlier. How embarrassing would that be. And the disappointment on the child's face. This company not only doesn't trust you with your money but it looks like they hate children. I for one am going to move my money to a different account. I do not recommend this company.

PayPal Prepaid MasterCard Company Information