2.9/5 (336 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

PayPal Prepaid MasterCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Prepaid MasterCard?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Prepaid MasterCard?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

The company has blatantly lied to customers. For starters I purchased a prepaid PayPal card and they advise you can activate online, over the phone or on the app. Not true!!! I tried all methods and was advised I would need to speak with an agent and they are closed!! The faqs section even advises that any load under 500 would be limited!! I only loaded 140 and have to speak with an agent!!! I hope when they open I can just take my funds off and be done with this card already.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I just bought a prepaid PayPal MasterCard, tried to use it, and was locked out from logging in, because they say they texted me a passcode, which I never received. When I was completely locked out, I suddenly started receiving text messages with random numbers. I thought I was locked out!! Tried calling, and their service is closed. Very upsetting, as I have no doubt I’ve been swindled out of my balance, and all my personal information is on who-knows-what servers without security. Please, please just shut this criminal company down!

Original review: June 26, 2021

You have to file a dispute if eBay refunds your money to get it back. Before I knew this I lost $60. My airline refunded the money and once again I have to file a dispute but it says pending on the transaction so I have to wait until that is up. My other cards I get the refund right then (cash app etc...) As soon as my money is off the card I am done. Customer service can hardly speak English. Oh by the way I have had this card account for over 6 years so I can honestly say it's a crappie service and you are better off getting a real card from a real local bank.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I recently filed a dispute with PayPal regarding a purchase made with my PayPal debit card. Quick summary. I stopped at a gas station while traveling and pumped some gas. I accidentally drove off with the nozzle still in my car. The attendant came outside and asked me to step inside. I was told I would have to pay $30 for the nozzle repair. I handed over my credit card and let them charge me. I never got a receipt or anything in writing regarding this transaction.

Fast forward a day or so later, I realize I was charged $300 instead of the $30 I was told I would be charged. So I filed a dispute with PayPal regarding an unauthorized charge. About a month later, my dispute was denied because I couldn't produce a receipt showing an incorrect charge. The gas station had to provide no proof. I emailed the Executive Office and got a rude employee named Catherine that was no help in finding a resolution. She talked down to me and I ended up hanging up the call. I have opened a BBB claim and sent a few emails and Catherine seems to be the only employee at PayPal answering me. Thought I would share my experience here.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I bought the card for the first time. The registration process is wearisome and very inconvenient, and they will charge you a lot of fees if you succeed. Can't register if you don't have a SSN, or are underage, or many other circumstances. The help as usual is some foreign guy, (kind, I will say) but they ask for the color of your socks to validate your info. Got sick of it, and asked for a refund. I hope it comes!... Next I buy a VISA prepaid card. I needed to make a purchase ASAP. Didn't work either, Needs to have 24 hours for the validation process... But I'll save that for the next review!!! Do not use any kind of services like this if you can avoid them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Order the PayPal card. Put money on it. Played games on the PayPal forum one money spent a month doing it and they don't show anything on my account. I enjoy the games but it is ridiculous. Call the card company. They explain to me that I did put money on it and they don't know why my accounts not being credited. I'd like to know too. You can give me a call **. Dave ** at your service. It's a real bummer I know that.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

My debit card was locked because of suspected fraud but I really needed a part for my computer. So, I bought a Prepaid “PayPal” card with $60.00 cash plus the 4.95 charge, only to find that I was unable to activate the card because the address on my Drivers License I provided was classified as a business. The customer service lady said the only she could send me a check in the amount of $64.95 to that address. I did not receive the check and it has been over 90 days. Just more disgusting scum with nothing but excuses, failed promises, lip service, lies and no action. Lesson learned. NEVER USE PREPAID CARDS.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I have a existing PayPal account with a debit card. I love it and have not had issues however I purchased a prepaid PayPal MasterCard for my daughter for her birthday. When I called to activate the card I was told that I was not eligible to activate the card and that they would send me a refund check in 7-10 business days. Had I known what a disappointment this card was going to be then I would have spent a few extra bucks and purchased the visa prepaid card. This was my first and last time purchasing a prepaid PayPal card.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

On December 19th around 5 p.m. I went to a Kroger grocery store in Atlanta Georgia to buy a PayPal prepaid card to pay my registration for my car and also pay for my luggage because I was leaving the next day to go out of town. As I paid for the card I put $250 of my money onto the card to pay for my luggage and my car registration. Before I left town I was informed that I needed to call customer service to activate the card so when I call the customer service they said they could not activate the card because someone had opened an account in my name and it got closed so they would have to mail me a check. That was 5 weeks ago. I haven't received anything from them. I've called them several times. I posted online that they haven't they haven't sent me anything of emailed them. I've called them and I still keep getting so it's going to be 10 days so it's going to be 15 days so it's going to be 15 days.

Well your 15 days have been up as of 20 days ago. I want my $250 back completely and you owe that money ties. You you stole that money basically and I told you that I would make it a point to go online and show how disrespectful you guys are. Two people and your customers customer service sucks. They don't know how to treat people with respect and the fact that I've already contacted Channel 2 News Channel 5 news in regards to the situation and also the Better Business Bureau because something has to be done for customers like I think you guys are stealing money from customers and you're not giving it back and that's not a good situation. I ended up going into Christmas with no money to buy my daughter. Nothing for Christmas. Thanks a lot PayPal. I really appreciate all your service. Not....

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Beware of the hidden fees! I bought this off a gift card rack in the store thinking it was a 20.00 gift card. After activating it and making a purchase I realized they charged me a 4.95 fee to activate the card and that there would be a 4.95 monthly fee every month. I called them to cancel the card, they told me I couldn’t until that purchase was no longer pending. After the purchase cleared I called again. After 30 minutes of trying I was unsuccessful at getting past being put on hold. I called again today, told them to cancel my account and refund my 4.50 balance. They told me that to refund my balance would cost me a 5.00 fee, and since that was more than was on my card I would have to pay them. I told them it was an expensive lesson for me, but just keep my money and cancel the card because I was not going to pay them a monthly fee. I just wanted a 20.00 gift card for my son, instead my son got a 9.55 gift and I was forced to give PayPal a 10.45 gift.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

My account was closed last year after being a victim of identity theft. Before my account closed, I submitted a dispute for an online company I ordered from when the pandemic first happened and I needed N95 masks. I received several letters from PayPal saying the dispute was in my favor and that since my account closed they would mail me the check. I've called several times and in true PayPal Customer Service fashion, I have received NOTHING. I do not have to tell you how frustrating this is or how crazy that the only way I can get any help is to contact you here.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I just recently called Paypal MC Debit Card customer service and my experience trying to get my problems solved is one of the worst I have ever had with a customer service department. I was calling to try to get 2 problems addressed and after 1/2 hour (not even exaggerating) of phone prompts and alternate phone numbers, I got nowhere.

I am the type of person that only calls customer support as a last resort and usually for problems that cannot be resolved with their website's knowledge base or the myriad of phone prompts that leave you going in circles without addressing your issue. The issues that I am facing are: I am having issues linking my debit card to my Paypal account and somehow my Paypal Debit MC website account is now locked, even though I just logged in successfully last evening (they offer an alternative to use my Paypal account login info that also indicated I am locked out).

I was hoping to get the account set up as quickly as possible for a number of reasons, but I am left with only the alternatives of contacting them by email (which I did) or paper mail. If they do not have enough staff to answer phones, I am quite pessimistic about getting a response in any timely fashion. I am also the type of person who very rarely leaves a review, but in this situation, I hope this explanation will help others make a decision with opening a Paypal Debit MC account especially if they anticipate a need to have to contact customer support.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I have been using my card because it’s the holidays and they have the nerve to stop my transactions after I’ve paid my money to put on their crappy card!!! I’m too pissed. They are continuing to act like someone else is trying to use my card even tho!!! I use my password and everything else this is starting to feel like fraud and mind you we pay 4.95 now to put money on the Card and we still being embarrassed as merchants. Ridiculous!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

On August 3 2020 I purchased a product key from a merchant and the key didnt work. I filed a dispute and showed them screenshots of me telling the merchant he sold me a key that didnt work. For months they told me that they would let me know when there is an update. When I finally got an update 90 days later I was gifted with the response. "There was no error in the merchant's end." Today I recieved the paper work from PayPal showing me what evidence he sent them. He literally only said "He purchase a key for a game and I gave him working key." In the screenshots the merchant clarifies that he knows my key wasn't working so obviously the dispute department didnt even look through my screenshots and I was scammed out of my hard earned money.

I do not recommend this card as if you purchase something and have proof they will take the merchant's lies over the customer's proof. If anyone seeing this has any idea what I can do please let me know. This needs to be put to a stop before more people fall to the hierarchy of this card company and lose their hard earned money. I still have all my screenshots from the merchant where he even told me to message someone else and I did and this person straight up told me there is nothing I can do. I'm outta my money. See here: **. Here is the photo of me telling the other guy I was told to message about this. It's not a lot of money but I earned that money from working and as someone in the lower class that is a lot of money to me. This is a review and rant at the same time I guess.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Outstanding in help from the person handling your needs to settle the problem or just answering questions. I had a problem with a purchase that was not my doing. The new purchase was quite a large amount. I was very upset and was concerned that I would be responsible for this because l was said to have signed for the product. How great lt was to hear that it was out of the norm for this kind of purchase. The man said, "Don’t worry, I will put under a fraudulent purchase and let us have it tracked." This Company is AAA in our business and they have all my business. Also I hope to tell others to use them all so. PayPal also has a great reward for all my purchases which is great reasons to use them. Dorothy **

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I was very happy with this card. I had no problems using it where I shop. Great company and they should be very proud of their products. Reloading this card was very simple. The only thing that I can say in a negative way is it took a little longer for the card to get to me.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I've never encountered any issues or financial concerns using PayPal. I use it especially for online purchases as opposed to my regular credit cards to minimize potential scams like autoship that is buried in fine print on order forms.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

First I purchase the card because my previous card with a different company expired and the store was out of those specific card. I looked through the options of different cards. Seeing PayPal Prepaid Mastercard I THOUGHT... with the trusted PayPal name it’d be the best choice they had. OH MAN WAS I WRONG! Choosing this card was in fact a HUGE mistake! Ok y’all story time. :) I purchased this card to put $55.00 on it for my kids to use for their online gaming purchases, ok here I am a Mom of 3 of the sweetest gamer girls. I’m swooping In to save the day. I’m about to have 3 very happy kids who deserve this reward for doing so well lately.

Not only did I purchase this card but I opened my mouth and inserted my dah gone foot. I told the pretty little mini mes I bought them a card and all I have to do is activate it. Oh MAN they was excited! I go in my bedroom to call and activate this card come to find out I have to email them so much personal info I’m really not ok with doing... but I did it anyway for my babies.... I email the info I was asked to and was told 6 business hours it’d be on. Well dang it was 8:30 pm when I made it home from work... It was past business hours so I tell them tomorrow sometime it will be good to go. They’ll have their money for the games...

Well about 10:45 am I get a email saying my SS card (last name) did not match my other stuff. Ok then asked to send a marriage license. I grab the marriage license, take a picture and email them my marriage license... Ok 4 hours pass and I receive yet another email saying the electric bill wasn’t a good form of proof of residency... because I took a pic of the bill still in the envelope. Mind you it has the electric company name on it, my name address and ALSO says utility bill enclosed... I mean I’m just some country girl with a high school education and some college and a few licenses from technical schools.

I’m not the brightest in the crayon box but I’m no idiot either but I think the BOLD Utility Bill Enclosed on the envelope with my name address etc. on it would be exactly what is needed! Ummm No Not at all... I get the email then I call the customer service rep boy that’s a joke too. I could barely make out what they was saying but after 45 min of trying to understand them they tell me the bill has to be opened and they need a picture of the bill itself.. I don’t know. Odd to me how they need so much personal info just to put money on a card... So now I’m told 6 more hours to wait.. I have a feeling we’ll be sending these kids off to college before we can actually use this dang card... So with all that said No DO NOT purchase this card believing it’s a trusted name because IT IS NOT!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

Very easy to use and accepted everywhere. I give these to my granddaughters every year for Christmas. They love getting them, and don't have to worry about keeping up with cash. It also makes them feel very grown up to have a card!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Paypal has given me the opportunity and freedom of having a prepaid card that I think of and use as a debit card. It's safe, fast and super convenient to have on hand when making online purchases! I don't feel the burden of extra costs or hidden fees from my local banks. Awesome prepaid card!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

PayPal is a great platform with excellent consumer protection and customer service is available 24/7. I have never had an issue with getting my money in or out of my account. It can be a great learning for money management.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

The card is widely accepted because of PayPal. It is easy to utilize at vendors or online. I had a question about using it at the pump at a gas station and customer service answered quickly, were very courteous and answered my question the first time.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I love buying prepaid cards, However they are very convenient. I pay some bills off with them and use them instead of carrying cash. I use prepaid cards whether I am purchasing items for myself or giving them out as gifts to my family and friends.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

Paypal is very unique and very safe to use. I've used them awhile now. They are very good and very safe. I highly recommend Paypal. They make sure it's the coustomer.and that makes me feel safe and secure putting my money on my PayPal account. They take care of their customers one hundred percent... and coustomers service is awesome.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Paypal does not have a clear helpful customer service. Their customer service is soo bad. It's not even a legitimate service. Be very careful. If someone sends you money on paypal and ask you in person to withdraw the money and give it to them, it is automatically a terrorizing scam. After withdrawing a sender's money and giving it to them. They can report that specific transaction as suspicious and or unauthorized, giving them the complete power with no justice to get back the money one more time. This can make your balance negative and paypal will report to the 3 credit bureaus. You will lose so much money and have bad credit immediately. If someone sends you money by a mistake and want it back they have to contact their financial institution and do it themselves. Never withdraw money from your paypal account and give anyone. No matter how trustworthy they are.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

PayPal is very easy to use, customer service is great, convenience great, and I can't say enough about what an awesome company they are. It is also easy to get a prepaid card for your college kid and then you can add money whenever you need to from your phone or laptop. You can also track their spending so you know exactly where the money is being spent. You get immediate notifications when the card is used via text and email.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

This card is not affiliated with an actual bank that is recognized like Wells Fargo or any of the major banks in America. You can't use it for a lot of transactions, adding to a rental pay lease company. Now this is frustrating to a customer! Paypal prepaid card is not a good card.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

The PayPal Prepaid seems easy to use and it is accepted widely online. Particularly, many online stores are familiar with PayPal. I didn't use its customer service for the prepaid card nor tried ATM access.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

This charge was made to my account from a merchant in Germany, I have never been to Germany. I submitted a claim and was denied my money back 2x. I never want to use this company again. I trusted PayPal and this is what I get.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

PAYPAL is THE worst company on earth when it comes to BUYERS protection.. STAY AWAY, STAY AWAY, STAY AWAY- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. The paypal nightmare starts when YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE ITEM OR RECEIVE PART OF THE PURCHASE. I purchase 2 items but I received one item and have absolutely NO ISSUES with the item received.. I did not receive the second item. I contacted paypal and this is where the nightmare starts. I found out that Some idiot (S) at paypal has set up a ridiculous policy that if you Did not receive your item paypal will tell you to return what you did not receive and if you do not return what you did not receive they will deny your claim. PAYPAL DOES NOT CARE. IF YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR MONEY - sounds ridiculous??

I LOST MONEY due to this ridiculous, NON SENSE policy of paypal. Sellers know this loophole in paypal's stupid policy and they are defrauding helpless customers. SHAME ON PAYPAL. My Advice to BUYERS; You should remove your bank account, credit card from paypal account AND STOP USING PAYPAL They are useless and have become IRRELEVANT. If you are reading this and you want to save yourself from TOTAL AGGRAVATION AND LOST MONEY then just do one intelligent thing in life- STOP USING PAYPAL. You will thank this post someday.

PayPal Prepaid MasterCard Company Information