4.3/5 (152 ratings)
Find a Tax Relief partner

Find Tax Relief partners near you

Owe $10k Or More In Back Taxes?

Work with a professional tax relief expert to reduce your debt.

Get Matched Now

About Optima Tax Relief

Optima Tax Relief specializes in helping individuals deal with aggressive collection by the IRS and state tax agencies. The team at Optima includes seasoned tax attorneys and enrolled agents that are approved by the IRS to represent American taxpayers. The firm is well versed in tax negotiation and settlement, IRS audit defense, levies and liens, wage garnishment and back taxes.

Find Tax Relief partners near you

Pros

• Available nationwide
    • 15-day money back satisfaction guarantee
    • Tax attorneys on staff

Cons

• Minimum debt required

Bottom Line

Optima Tax Relief is an industry leader with an experienced staff. They provide quality tax relief services and protection against the IRS and state tax agencies.

Owe $10k Or More In Back Taxes?

Work with a professional tax relief expert to reduce your debt.

Get Matched Now

Optima Tax Relief Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optima Tax Relief?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optima Tax Relief?

Original review: June 28, 2021

I was 100% satisfied with my experience at Optima. They took the time to work with me on a one on one basis to resolve my tax issues. I feel that they were an affordable and effective solution to my tax problem. They filed old returns that needed to be taken care of and helped me with the legal side of dealing with the IRS. I could not of done this on my own. They were instrumental in getting me a good settlement and payment plan.

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you Dennis! We work one-on-one with our clients to ensure an excellent experience. Congratulations on a great resolution.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Optima Tax Relief is a very professional service and I would recommend anyone to them. They have made my life a lot easier by handling my Tax problems with the IRS, it was very difficult to deal with the irs with calls and dealing with the paperwork but Optima tax relief handled all that for me and I couldn't have been more pleased.

Optima Tax Relief response

Thanks Monica, it's been great to work with you!

Original review: June 17, 2021

Optima Tax was able to help us through our tax situation. My family was faced with a situation where we did not file taxes for several years. Optima was able to file the back years and get us one payment for all. It is pricey, but they were able to get the job done.

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you Thomas! We understand that was a difficult situation, and we are glad to have helped you and your family through that situation.

Original review: June 16, 2021

Stress relief and confidence knowing that our tax problems were about to resolved by a team of great professional who cares about other people in need of help with their tax problems just knowing someone cares about others.

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you for the kind words, Sarah. We're always here if you need us!

Original review: June 16, 2021

Optima helped me a great deal. It took some time but at the end I was very satisfied. They called at least once a month to keep me informed on my progression of my status and the IRS off my back. The end results .... Great.

Optima Tax Relief response

Glad you're enjoying the results, Travis. We're proud to have brought you to a phenomenal resolution, and we always prioritize communication to keep our clients informed every step of the way.

Original review: June 14, 2021

The customer service was great and very informative. Although the process was little long it was very well worth it. Thank you Optima for resolving my tax issues. I would refer your services to my friends and family.

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you Williams, we're proud to have brought you to an excellent resolution.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Optima was a pleasure to work with! I was a little apprehensive about hiring them at first. However, they were able to negotiate with IRS and get me on the Fresh Start Program with affordable payments. This company has saved me tons of headaches and were able to reduce penalties so the expense was worth every penny.

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you, Brian! Glad our service was worth every penny, as we reduced enormous penalties for you. Thanks!

Original review: June 10, 2021

I finally reached out to the experts at Optima Tax Relief to resolve many years of tax problems. With increasing fees, late charges and constant threats from the IRS of garnishing my income or taking my home, I could not endure the stress I was experiencing. Optima Tax Relief provided the expertise, communication and resolution to make my financial tax headaches go away. Thank you Optima Tax Relief!

Optima Tax Relief response

Thanks Kathleen! It's great you no longer have to deal with the stress of your situation. We understand what a difficult scenario you were in, and we're proud that our expertise was able to save the day!

Original review: June 7, 2021

I was extremely scared and worried about what would happen to me. I heard about Optima Tax Relief on the radio and decided to give them a call. I heard of other places but I don't know why I felt as if this company was super legit and they were. They did all the work. I just had to be completely honest and let them know what was going on. To this day I am free of tax debt and would highly recommend this company to anyone facing tax issues.

Optima Tax Relief response

We do all of the work so our clients can relax! Thank you for choosing us and continuing to recommend us, Joseph!

Original review: June 1, 2021

I went to Optima Tax Relief because I had a huge burden of a a large amount that I owed to the IRS. I was hesitant at first because I thought, "Oh this is another company that will just take my money." I was so wrong, I owed the IRS over 60,000 and Optima got that reduced so much and I do mean way low that I can now relax and live with the weight of the world (IRS) off of my shoulders. I would highly recommend Optima Tax Relief to anyone that owes the IRS. They will work hard on your behalf and be right by your side throughout each step. I'm glad that I made that call to them.

Optima Tax Relief response

That's an incredible resolution, worth sharing with everyone! We're proud to have been an award-winning resolution firm, reputable with our clients. Thank you for continuing to recommend us and we're so glad you called us as soon as you did!

Original review: May 30, 2021

I owed quite a bit on taxes. Optima help me out answer all my questions was always polite and very helpful. They always kept me update and was very helpful to make sure I had help filling out what paperwork. I highly recommend Optima.

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you, Samuel! We appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with us. Our team puts our clients first, every time. It's second nature for us to treat our clients with kindness and respect, so we're glad you felt that!

Original review: May 28, 2021

To tell you I was worried is an understatement. Letters upon letters kept me up at night with the fear of garnishment or possibly more. You hear the commercials all the time, but think that'll never be me! Well it was me. I didn't know where to turn, so what did I have to lose?? From the beginning, Optima made everything easy to understand. You talk and deal with a number of people, but the one who stands out and was always there to help and take my questions was Catalina. Without her help, I think I would have just given up. I never got to thank her at the end, so I'd like to do that now.

Optima Tax Relief response

We understand that you were in an incredibly difficult predicament. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. We're so proud to have provided you with an amazing resolution, and we're passing on the kind words to your team!

Original review: May 26, 2021

Optima Tax Relief maintained professionalism adequately. They were beyond precise with their explanations; with continuous guidance & communication. My issues are now under control. Now I can concentrate on advancement & progression. Thanks.

Original review: May 19, 2021

This company was a godsend to my difficult tax situation. I highly recommend this company to anyone. It was worth every penny of my upfront fee. The offer in compromise was more than I expected. My case manager

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you for your great feedback, Brenda! We're so happy to have assisted you in a difficult situation.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Optima Tax was very professional and resolved my tax issues. From the beginning they were professional and in the end the IRS owed me money. It was one of the best experiences I have had with a company of this type.

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you for the great feedback Michael! It was a pleasure to work with you.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Thanks to Optimal Tax Relief my burden is gone. Since 1993 I owed the IRS a lot of money but thanks to optimal tax relief my burden was erased. I've owed IRS and child support for years which put undue burden on my finances. My head was spinning doing side work and a full time job. It was so exhausting and I had to do something about it and thanks to optima tax relief I can breathe again.

Optima Tax Relief response

Resolving our client's stress is our priority - we take on your burden and make it OUR burden! We're proud to bring you the "relief" in Optima Tax Relief. Congrats!

Original review: May 7, 2021

I had over $10,000 in unpaid IRS taxes and late fees. Optima representatives contacted IRS and made repayment plans suitable for my fixed income. Every Optima representative has been courteous and professional.

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Joyce. It has been wonderful to assist you in your tax resolution, and we're happy to hear you found the team to be "courteous and professional!" Our team enjoyed working with you - please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything else!

Original review: May 3, 2021

My husband and I hired Optima in Sept 2018, it is now May 2021. They blatantly lied to me on many occasions. The new firm that hired said the reconsideration they told me several time was NEVER filed. They also said that Optima has an entire department dedicated to giving refunds in exchange for removing bad reviews.

In the end I asked for proof that the reconsideration was actually filed 3 or 4 times and, though promised, they never sent it. They were trying to get me to agree to a payment plan for the full amount the IRS said I owed. They told me it was only for my protection and that when the reconsideration decision was made, I would get refund of monies paid over the amount IRS determined I still owed. They lied! If I would have done this, I would have owed the original amount determined by the IRS.

They also told me that the collections department of the IRS does not communicate with the audit department that reviews reconsiderations. Yet another lie. I received several notices that the IRS was going to place a levy, because they never filed a Power of Attorney after the 1st one was retracted due to a bankruptcy my husband had to file. They retracted first Power of Attorney and were supposed to file a new one that applied to only me until the bankruptcy was discharged, they didn't. They also did not file a new one once bankruptcy was discharged like they said they would. Bottom line, they are manipulative and just tell you what they think you want to hear. Not saying they are not successful in simpler cases. Mine is complicated, but Optima almost cost me $32,000!

Original review: April 23, 2021

Please save yourself thousands of dollars and endless hours of aggravation. There is not enough room here to fully elaborate on my horrible experience. I paid for months and got nothing. I finally was against a deadline and had to pay someone else to file my current taxes properly as the way they were going to file was costing me thousands more dollars. You can't reach a human unless they are collecting your money. The robo calls were awful. I basically had to do all of the other years of unfiled taxes myself. They never contacted the IRS on my behalf. They never fulfilled any of their obligations to me and refused to refund the $1500 I had already paid them. They offered me $300 as a courtesy. As if!

Optima Tax Relief response

Upon receiving your review, we've been diligently trying to locate you in our system but your review didn’t provide enough identifiable information to locate you. We welcome you to call (800) 965-3192 to speak with one of our QA Specialists, whenever you are ready!

Original review: March 27, 2021

I waited a couple of weeks to write this, as I was so angry (and still am) about this entire process. I had one year of a tax filing that needed to be explained, and it took them 9 months to tell me that they basically couldn't do anything but get me a payment plan. I paid them almost $7,000 for this service, plus, I get to pay all the penalties and interest that accumulated while they dragged their feet. Oh yes, the IRS continued to add interest to my account while we waited on Optima. I've not read anyone paying what I paid, and guaranteed, I could have gotten this deal myself. It is nothing but a payment plan. They don't negotiate your penalties and interest. You have to fill out a form and do that yourself. They don't offer any suggestions or help with this at all.

So, basically, I filed my taxes for that tax year, and waited on Optima for 9 months to get something done, and did not get one break..., not one. All taxes have to be paid in full, plus penalties and interest..., oh, but I did get a payment plan. All for the low cost of $7,000. I would certainly do more research and check out other firms first if I had to do it all over again. But having never been in this situation before, I was truly naive. Please don't make the same mistake I made. This is the biggest scam ever.

Optima Tax Relief response

Original review: March 8, 2021

Be very leery of any service that requires full payment up front. I did not have a good experience and I lost thousands of dollars with no results to show for it. I finally had to pay more money for a tax attorney.

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you for your feedback. Upon receiving your review, we've been diligently trying to locate you in our system but your review didn’t provide enough identifiable information to locate you. We welcome you to call (800) 965-3192 to speak with one of our QA Specialists, whenever you are ready. We will be more than happy to speak with you directly about your concerns. We truly hope you provide us with an opportunity to turn your experience around, and we are looking forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 1, 2021

They will promise the moon and the stars to get you to sign. I would love to give 0 stars! Our experience was TERRIBLE! They will charge you thousands of dollars and not do any real work. Our personal experience and the experience of many others, as found on the Better Business Bureau website is that they will never do any work. We have been with them for over a year and they have not made any progress or reduced any penalties and the payment plan that we set up ourselves with the IRS, is still the same payment plan. They stated that they would file the current taxes and that was a year ago. Of course, they never filed the taxes.

We finally had to go to HR Block because the IRS was threatening us with additional fees. Do not sign up with this company. They will take your money and get nothing accomplished. Just review them on BBB. org. The numerous complaints listed are textbook Optima. You will never get serviced. Optima's playbook: Step 1: They will take all your money (thousands), contact you numerous times requesting the same docs, stating that they never received them, although you have your confirmations.

Step 2: You are now outside of a window of when they claim you are eligible to receive a refund. Step 3: It's been months and no response from them, and you are growing weary and feeling defeated. Step 4: You see no results and want a refund. Oh wait, you are outside of their refund window and they offer you a very small amount to go away. Step 5: You take the money so that you can at least recover something and not lose all your money! Do not sign with this company.

Fyi: Beginning of February 2021, I told them I would bring awareness to their unethical business practices, through our personal experience. Since then, a lot of positive reviews have populated, especially on the BBB website; however, you should review the reviews prior to that timeframe to get to the truth!

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We want to assure you that we strive to provide the highest quality of customer service as well as obtain the best resolution for our clients. In light of receiving your comments, we have notified our QA team and expedited your case to those solely dedicated to addressing and resolving your specific concerns. We encourage you to continue working with us so that we can address your concerns to your complete satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I contacted Optima Tax Relief for assistance with correcting a problem with the IRS. They listen to my problem and assured me they could help correct it. I believed them because their advertisements guarantee they will fix your problem or refund your money. That was lie. They took my money and just reviewed all the documents I sent to them. The only time I heard from them was when I called. They never call or send emails. You have to contact them for updates and then you get excuses about your case. I waited almost a year for them to tell me "Well it looks like we cannot do anything to fix your problem, so the best for you is to pay the IRS the money back." Almost $3,000 just for that. They are not an accredited company. They don't even call or contact the IRS for you. If you want a refund, they will give you back a small portion just try and please you. They have false advertisements that say they are the best. They are the worst.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I contacted Optima Tax Relief on or about October 2020 and spoke to a representative named Nik who made me false promises and talked me into giving them over 90% of my SSI per month for 7 months to help me with an IRS problem. I then had MAJOR issues getting assistance or help and never heard from Nik again. I was later put in touch with Leah who said my case had been passed to someone else who supposedly "left me a message". I asked to cancel my services because I did not get the assistance I was promised. I was told that I could cancel but I would only get back around $1200 but I paid them over $2000. I was told they could not help me unless I was available all the time by phone but Nik said emails were fine since I am disabled.

I was LIED to and now I have been told I have until 1/28/2021 to make a decision to keep the services or accept the offer of $1200. Optima tax relief has done NOTHING to help me with my debt at all. They are NOT available for one-on-one help as promised and in fact very condescending and threatening to me. I feel as though I have been taken advantage of to the highest degree by vultures, using my disability against me as well as taking almost all of my income during Covid-19 and refusing to reimburse me all of my funds. If you go to the website for Business Consumer Alliance and look up the complaints, they are all VERY similar to mine and Optima Tax relief refunded all those people their money in full but not me.

I feel like they took advantage of my mental handicap and are trying to strong arm me into signing a contract for settlement or continuance. They said they received my complaint from the BCA but would NOT offer me a full refund as they did all the others. That is discrimination at the highest level and I will NOT give up my rights or my SSI payments to them when they can't be bothered to keep promises.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I contracted with Optima tax relief and made the initial down payment and two monthly payments and then COVID hit. I explained to them I was very limited in working and I could afford lower payments. They were kind enough to give some months without payments until my situation improved. I had paid over 2500 into this company already, for what? I asked several times what they did for $2500 besides maybe sending the IRS a letter starting to work out my situation. The customer RETENTION Dept called me which is a joke...because there is no retention at all telling me in Oct they were going to cancel my account and the IRS would move forward in collecting back taxes.

The gentleman Branden ** I spoke with a few times and told him I could make some lower payments, but he stressed several times they could not lower my payments until I paid another $1000.00 and then could look at lowering my payments. I explained I could not make a $1000 dollar payment at this time and is there any other alternatives....no of course there was not..$1000 or they would cancel,,,, which they did. Now I am out $3000, the IRS has sent me letters saying I would be turned over to a collection company, and I am no further along than I started with Optima but $3k down. My recommendation is you go with another company and do not waste your time with Optima...they are all about getting as much money from you as possible and when you cannot they drop you right in the middle of your resolution.

Optima Tax Relief response

Upon receiving your review, we've been diligently trying to locate you in our system but there is not enough identifiable information to locate you. We welcome you to call (800) 965-3192 to speak with one of our QA Specialists, whenever you are ready. We will be more than happy to speak with you directly about your concerns. We truly hope you provide us with an opportunity to turn your experience around, and we are looking forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I cannot warn you enough to stay away from Optima Tax Relief (OTR) as a tax resolution service provider. There are other (better) choices out there... I suggest you engage a company closer to where you are located instead of engaging OTR in California. My "resolution" took well over two (2) years to complete and only then did it get finalized through my direct intervention and taking control back from their inept staff who only acted as a postbox between myself and the IRS.

Just one of my many issues with them was the fact they filed my 2017 Tax Return and a year later I received a Notice from the IRS that I filed incorrectly and owed additional taxes, fees and penalties totaling more than $27,000. OTR has acknowledged their culpability as they've offered a "partial refund", but nothing close to the additional amounts they've cost me through their errors, omissions and negligence. And that is the least of my problems with OTR! I am already discussing my options with legal counsel... Yes, they were THAT bad! Please do not engage OTR... They will NOT deliver for you and only cost you more money, time and frustration! Don't do it! Good luck!

Optima Tax Relief response

Thank you for your feedback. We would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to speak with you again to further discuss your case, since we take all of our clients' concerns very seriously and strive to address every issue brought to our attention.

Upon receiving your review, we've been diligently trying to locate you in our system but your review didn’t provide enough identifiable information to locate you. We welcome you to call (800) 965-3192 to speak with one of our QA Specialists.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

This organization is a scam. They are completely and utterly inept at managing detailed tax returns. Their ultimate goal is to leave you hanging until every dime is squeezed out of your bank account. Optima can only handle those types of returns that utilize BASIC formats. You remember, the same forms you alone could easily complete to account for part time employment during your high school and/or college years! I am so happy I caught on to their thievery!!!

Optima Tax Relief response

We sincerely appreciate the feedback you provided. We want assure you that we strive to provide the highest quality of customer service as well as obtaining the best resolution for our clients.

In light of receiving your comments, we have notified our QA team and expedited your case to a Specialist dedicated to addressing and resolving your specific concerns. They will be reaching out to you ASAP, and we encourage you to continue working with us so that we can address the issues.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Optima helped me out with my tax problems. I highly recommend Optima to anyone that has any tax problems. I thought I owed back taxes but Optima got me a refund which was great. They communicated with me thru the whole process.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

When I first found out about my IRS problems I was devastated. Optima walked me through all the troubles that I had no idea how to do. I recommend Optima to all the people that feel they have nowhere to go. Optima is the place for safety from the IRS.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I was doubtful Optima could help my overwhelming situation. Looking back, they provided excellent professional service, and treated me like a human being. My case manager's name was Deshon **. She reassured me throughout the process that things would work out fine. When I got the settlement call, it was such "Good News" I asked Deshon to "HOLD THE PHONE" while I did a happy dance, and I did!! I will gladly recommend the service to anyone in need of tax help. Keep Thriving Optima!!

Optima Tax Relief Company Information