formerly Springleaf Financial

4.1/5 (443 ratings)

Check Your Personal Loan Rates

It's free and won't impact your credit score

About OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial offers personal loans online and at 1,500 physical locations in 44 states. Customers can choose between unsecured personal loans, secured personal loans and auto loans. You can secure your personal loan with an automobile, RV or boat. In many cases, loans are available the same day you’re approved. OneMain Financial offers loans from $1,500 to $20,000.

Find Personal Loans partners near you

Pros

• Flexible term lengths
    • Secured and unsecured loans
    • Loans from $1,500 to $20,000

Cons

• Charges an origination fee

Bottom Line

OneMain Financial offers secured and unsecured loans with APRs up to 35.99% and terms up to 60 months. OneMain loans have fixed rates and payments and no prepayment penalties.

OneMain Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: July 11, 2021

One Main Financial sold me unemployment insurance and when I needed to use the insurance they denied my claim for the one and only thing I asked about when I purchased the insurance. They lied and told me, "Yes sir, it will cover your payment if your contract ends" which was a bald-faced Lie. So I ask you why would I buy insurance if I knew it would not cover anything? The answer is I wouldn't and I have paid for two years on this insurance, I feel like such an idiot but I was lied to and that is not cool. This company has no business ethics at all. Avoid One Main Financial completely.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Please stay away. Interest rates high. Lie and never gave my husband paperwork Horrible rates. Liars. Hard get out of it. Customer Service horrible. Try other options. I want people get together class action lawsuit. Please be careful with loans.

Original review: June 29, 2021

This company is a lender of last resort and they know it. After a divorce, my credit was damaged and I need to make some emergency home repairs. In hindsight, I should have approached a family member first but I was too embarrassed by my credit score. One Main will lend you money when you have a credit score of 580 but it's going to cost you 35% and interest is a daily compound just like a credit card and that is flat out predatory. Avoid them at all cost if you can.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Debt Cycle to keep you In debt. OneMain is the worse gear to keep you in Debt. I Paid over 8000 on loan for 14000. Still owe 11476. Has not gone down much everything towards interest very little towards principal. Race motivated.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I opened a loan account with this company several years ago and never missed a payment and always on time. But due to Covid and my wife had major surgery on her right ankle that left her incapacitated. We had to buy medical equipment so that she could move around and enable her to maintain her hygiene etc. I requested from One Main to allow me to work with me on payments for 2 months max so I could get on my feet and maintain the payments that were over 500 a month. They refused to allow me any leniency and would call me and be extremely rude.

I think now that they preferred repo of my pristine 2014 Challenger SXT that was collateral for the loan. I have recently acquired a mortgage loan and delivered a check for the pay off of the loan and they increased the amount up over the 500 dollar..again they accused me of trying to scam them with a bogus check, which it is not and I have documented proof that it is a valid check of close to 17000.00! They refused the payment and insist that I owed well over 17000 in Hopes they can take my car in their possession ...This company should not be trusted and they need to be under investigation.

Original review: May 18, 2021

They email me to see my offers, They do not even show me a rate of interest, they right away get a hard inquiry in my credit, Without notice or warning. They call me to see if I would like to apply for the credit, I explain that I'm not interested and please remove the hard inquiry, The customer service representative shows that they don't care about my concern issue if you do not apply for the credit. Before you give them any personal information to see your pre-qualify be aware that they will affect your credit.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I've been paying my loans on-time since April 2020 (about 13 months). I borrowed $15k and my monthly payments are $569 a month. I'm so disappointed with how little my principal balance has gone down. I should have about half of the loan paid down by now if it wasn't for the ridiculous interest. Instead, I only have less than $2k of interest paid off after paying over $500 a month for this long. These loans are shameful - should be illegal.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I called requesting a refund to my account and I spoke to the branch manger and another representative. Both were extremely rude and unprofessional. The manager kept yelling and told me to call back then hung up the phone. I called back and no one picked up. I have tried calling this office from 10:13am to 10:38am over 41 times and no one was picking up the phone. They just let the phone rang and go to voicemail purposely. I left several voicemail and email. Never received a call back. Awful response time. I had to call the customer service number for them to reach the branch for me...horrible service quality. If I never had to deal with this Melville branch ever again I would prefer not to. They are rude tone of voice, unfriendly, unprofessional, doesn’t show concern for their customers, Can’t get a hold of a real person, Rude discourteous behavior, Lack of manners....just disgusting.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Their website says it won't affect credit scores. The Agent on the Phone took 10 minutes collecting all information. I affirmed that if I do not need an offer if they would do a hard check but they said they won't and then immediately placed a hard check on the account. Their agents need to be trained on differences between hard and soft credit checks.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Due to COVID, I requested assistance numerous times with me struggling to keep up with my payments. One Main Financial called me at 4 times a day every after refusing assistance. Finally, I stopped asking for assistance and may my payments without going into 2 payments past due. Then Texas winter storm caused additional issues with over 3,000.00 in pipe damages and very high Homeowners deductible. Therefore, this caused even a more financial hardship.

Again I was inundated with several harassing and debt collector tactic calls a day even from different One Main branches. I called my One Main Financial Branch in which I was told the manager was calling about my payment. The representative asked me to hold while I waited for the manager to come to the phone. The representative asked me was I affected by the Winter Storm and replied, "Yeah, with over $3000.00 in damages." He explained it would be a forbearance but without documentation. This concerns me without me signing paperwork.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I am giving one star to the concept of borrowing a large sum of money at a high credit card rate. The fact that OneMain Financial specializes in these loans is why I am giving them one star. They are leaders in a sector of banking that I wish didn’t exist. But I am not mad in them, or even disappointed in them. I just wish I – and many others – hadn't needed them, or could have found a better way to get through without such bad loans. I am writing during a peaceful ending to an expensive relationship with OneMain Financial. I had an $11,000 loan (the product of being refinanced one time), and the interest rate was 27 percent. In the first 1-1/2 years of $345 payments, the principal dropped only $2,000. My interest payments in this period were more than $4,000. Yuk.

I made all the same mistakes with my loan that many other one-star reviewers did. I took the loan because they offered it to me. I paid little attention to the horrible interest rate. And I only later wanted out of the loan. Luckily, I have a 401(k) I can borrow out of, so I am self-re-financing this loan, which is unfortunate. But this OneMain Financial loan’s interest rate is really bothering me. By borrowing the pay-off out of my 401(k), I will drop my interest to 3.5 percent, and I will pay back my retirement account very aggressively, to do the least damage. And I will save myself from wasting another $4,000 in interest. Taking this loan was not a good move for my overall financial picture. I should have taken a second job. Nothing I bought with that money was worth wasting $4,000 in interest in just 18 months.

But I am not angry at OneMain Financial! They did not force me to take the money, they offered it. The interest rate and all the useless add-ons they offer are completely disclosed in the paperwork you sign. I declined all of their add ons. NOTE: They position those add-ons as required, and you can – like I did – cross out every one of them before signing. There is no predatory lending here. I signed for the loan, and that’s on me, not them. There was no coercion, no sleight of hand. Granted, this is hardly an A-Team of banking executives. It has the feel of a used car lot finance office, in the appearance of the staff and the behavior of some of them. But the borrowing transaction was honest and convenient. (It is NOT dishonest to charge a lot of money for a service.). To be expensive is not the same as being predatory.

For the person who is going to sue over predatory lending, you most assuredly will lose. To be a lender, any lender, is to be in the risk business. They are taking great risk in lending to those of us who have, or had at the time, poor credit. All lenders charge more for higher risk loans, and most refuse to lend to low credit score borrowers in the first place. Try to focus on the reality: at the time my score was barely 600, I signed my name and they deposited $11,000 in my checking account. $11,000 is real money. I was happy at the time. As the account aged, the regret started to set-in. Lately, refinancing this loan has become a bit of an obsession for me.

I am talking to you if you are considering one of these high-interest loans. Before you sign, is this absolutely necessary? Can the purchase(s) wait? Can you borrow the money from family, or out of retirement? Can you pick up a side job, in say delivery or security? Because once you sign, and they give you a big chunk of money, there will be a day when you are sad about the amount of interest you are paying. And you may or may not be able to re-finance. Don’t waste thousands and thousands of dollars in interest. Thank you for reading.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Every month I am reminded what scum this company is. People, like myself, who are struggling apply for these loans because of emergencies. I understand interests rates but this is ROBBERY!! $300.00/monthly payments for only $20-$30 going towards the actual principal... This should be ILLEGAL!! How anyone with sense can give this place a good rating is fraud!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I had two loans with OneMain - Secured with a car - paid off and a consumer loan. I ran into some problems paying the consumer loan on time and they sued. Asked for about 35% more than what I owed. Then I negotiated a settlement with their lawyer and paid as agreed in court. Now they are trying to garnish my wages, not keeping to the agreement. They were very predatory while I was a customer, refinancing over and over again, then treated me terrible. Do not do business with OneMain.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

OneMain doesn't care about you. Just like any other company they only care about the $$$. I have been off work since March 2020. I finally applied for the unemployment insurance that I took with my loan. I was denied the insurance claim because I am receiving (PUA) pandemic unemployment assistance instead of regular (UI) unemployment insurance. To me being unemployed is being unemployed. What other thing could it mean?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

On November 19th, 2020 I was contacted by a OneMain rep to refinance a loan I had with them. So I submitted everything online and was contacted by a different rep to complete the process. Background, I have had 4 loans with Onemain. The first two I paid off early, the second two are active and one was being refinanced which would make it loan number five. So everything was fine and I even asked the rep since there was a payment due on the loan being refinanced should I expect the payment to come out or would the new loan override it. She assured me everything was fine and the money won't come out of my bank account. So we closed and I signed all the docs digitally. Was told to wait the 3 days for the money to be in my bank account.

By the third day when I checked my bank account, there was no deposit and the money for the payment was taken out. So I called and was told there was a "fund deposit issue" and they would call me back with answers. So a day and a half goes by with no return call. So I called and was handed over to a different rep. She said the same that there was a "fund deposit issue" and they were resubmitting my paperwork. Long story short, they never returned my calls, if a wanted any info as to what was going on I had to call them. On numerous occasions, I was told they would call me (even saying the branch manager would call me) but they never did. I as the customer always had to call them.

When I finally did get a call it was at 6:30 PM Friday evening and I was at the grocery store and right away the rep starts going over the closing statement. I let her know that I didn't have access to a computer to digitally sign the paperwork and we agreed that she would call me back on Monday between 3-6 PM. Well on Monday 6:00 PM came and went so I called them. The woman who answered the phone stated that the rep who was suppose to call me left for the day. I received a call15 minutes later and the rep I spoke with tried to explain that the whole process of "booking" the closing would have to be done all over again. So we agreed that she would call me the next day at 2:00 PM. Yes, you guessed it 2 PM came and went with no call.

She did however call after 3:00 to say they were having yet more issues and that she would call me later. I explained to her that in the past it would take two days at most and was wondering why we were now at the end of the second week and still couldn't get this done. I also asked her why no one from that office has reached out to the me to keep me informed on what was happening with their loan and why I had to keep calling them back (I waited some times a few days for a call but never got one). She had no response except to keep saying sorry. Well she never did call me back later.

So I called another lender Freedom Plus. Within 2 hours I had a loan for $20,000.00 with them paying off one of the Onemain loans and two other credit cards and put some money in my pocket. In two hours they made it happen, OneMain was going into week three with zero results, no calls from any reps being informative to the customer on what was happening, no planning with the customer on when the "closing" or "booking' was going to happen. Just one huge lack of any coordination on Onemain' s part all together as to NOT inconvenience the customer or in this case keep a long time customer. Prior to calling Freedom, I did call Onemain back one last time. After eight minutes on hold, I hung up. Lastly, the branch where I live knew about what was happening and filed a complaint with corporate. That was last week, still haven't heard back and doubt I ever will.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

They keep sending me advertisements for no reason at all and looking into my personal info to lure me into a high rate loan with them and calling them does not help because they are rude on the phone.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

Personal loans always seem to be needed at the worst possible times. No one wants to have to take out a loan to simply live, to pay for an emergency, to overreach in order to have enough money for a reliable vehicle. Let's just be real, personal loan company's are in the business to make money off of you. When you have no other choice, you have to bite the bullet and get hammered with ridiculous interest rates. It doesn't matter how hard you work, how good of a person you are, or what the need is. They are overly nice, they oversell what you can afford, and let's not forget the extras: ie auto plan. So all that said by the time you get to signing the paperwork you get the pucker factor when you hear your monthly payment. If you can avoid personal loans that is best. If you cannot, go in with a solid borrow amount and do not allow them to talk you into financing more than you can afford.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Received a offer in the mail and needed a loan. What I didn't realize was the interest was just unbelievable but I justified it in my mind thinking I could handle this. For months I did. Onemain is a great company to get you that HIGH interest loan but like any other loan company it's about you paying back not about you as a person. I had to turn it over to a National Debt Relief company to get out from under the high interest rates. So I don't recommend One Main loan. Tried to talk to them but their answer was to, "Come in and let's see if we can lower your payments" but in fact in doesn't lower your high interest rates. It just sets up to to pay way longer than you planned.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I went to One Main Financial to get a title loan to help us out with our finances when our company went under. Although they did approve our title loan in our time of need, we definitely paid the price. The interest rate was outrageous. We put our Durango title as collateral on the loan. The payback was more than double our loan amount. If you are in a very bad bind it’s an option but I would pick any other choice due to the high interest rates.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

The office in Berlin NJ sent many solicitations. I finally answered and borrowed $5,000 to refinance my car and borrow $2,000 to move. They charged me $7,000 to borrow $7,000. The lady who set me up with the loan asked me if I wanted gap insurance. I told her yes. She said O.K. that she would set it up with another insurance company. Now they say I don't have gap insurance. I was set up and cheated. They had me paying $14,000 for a $7,000 loan. I will be taking them to court for predatory lending. I feel they were racist too.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Very satisfied with the service. I especially like Angela. She explained the loan process and everything done on line in the office. When I need money in a hurry One Main was the one, banks unless you got perfect credit won't even. I love the absolute about them. I love the direct deposit of my payment so it is never late monthly. If you need a loan I would recommend One Main Financial. Ask for Angela. Marlton NJ office.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Have worked with them on a couple of occasions. They are not real organized as I kept having to call them several times to get things done. Then had to go their several times to do more. Interest pretty high so probably won't use them again. They are close by so that was a help. Sometimes the staff is a little impatient and rude.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

Their interest rates are very high. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I tried to get a loan from them and they denied me. After I looked over the paperwork I realized their interest rate is very high and I would being paying a lot on a small loan. As a single mom of 4 kids I can't afford to get myself into this type of loan agreement and overall I'm glad I didn't get approved for the loan.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I've never used this company because like so many they tell you you're preapproved when in reality you're eligible to apply. So anybody can do that. It tricks you into applying and getting a bad mark on your credit score. For sake of people not understanding this all loan companies should at least make that either apparent or don't do a hard inquiry.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

One Main Financial representatives truly care about you as an individual, are empathetic to your needs, and go out of their way to help. They are a reputable company and very easy to do business with. Payments are easy to set up on line. I highly recommend One Main Financial for your personal loan needs.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Boy oh boy...The interest rate is ridiculous. Wished I would have never signed up with them. My monthly $200 payment and only $20 goes to principal. What a huge mistake. Plus my truck was used as collateral. HUGE MISTAKE!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

OneMain looks for the best choices for me with payment options. I call and tell them what I need and in the same day they are calling me back with options for me. I love the "small town" atmosphere with them and how they assist me.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I was a previous customer of OMF and was a victim of their predatory lending tactics. I had a original loan I applied and got approved for and not even a year later they will offer you another loan to wipe out your first loan. Do not believe the pros other than you getting the money the same day when you meet their qualification standard. I paid 2 loans off and as a returning customer my vehicles was too old for collateral for my 3rd loan during Covid and yet my loan the first time around was not unsecured. High interest rates they will hit you with regardless of credit.

They prey on the weak offering you more than what you ask for to make you think you have good credit and their customer service stinks when you are not qualified. I advise to opt out from all credit offers and join a credit union. It's time to put death to these lending sharks who only seems to want to help themselves MORE than their customers. BEWARE AT ALL COSTS. INTEREST RATES WILL MAKE SURE YOUR LOAN IS PAID BACK DOUBLE. NON NEGOTIABLE TOO.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Don't waste your time. They are loan sharks. Go somewhere else to get your loan. The staff are rude and I was glad to finally pay it off. They are continuing to solicit a new loan. Hell will freeze over first!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I was falsely manipulated into applying for a loan. The agent never explained that my car would be refinanced. I specifically asked did collateral mean refinance and was told no. After completing the application I was approved for a REFINANCE LOAN and had no idea. I feel used and deceived. I would had never agreed for a 12000 refinance loan knowing I owe 11000 dollars on my car. This is terrible. Please do not get scammed like me.

OneMain Financial Company Information

Public
    Ticker Symbol:
    OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving