1.14/5

747 HSBC Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

My credit card number was compromised and I contacted HSBC that day. I gave them all the information, and even contacted the vendor where the card number was used. That vendor then refuted the claim that the purchases made were fraudulent and HSBC is now coming back to me for $680 in fraudulent charges. Their fraud department rep was extremely rude and nasty on the phone and pretty much accused me of lying. Cancelled the card, and I would never do business with them again. I'm really shocked that they are that bad.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Waited for a chat only to be told I had to call. Called, was told I needed to be transferred, next person said same thing, but she instead just hung up on me. I was on the call a total of 1 hour & 14 mins, with 99% of that time being on hold. Tried chat again, no reply. Chatted again and asked them to call me. They said they couldn't relay the message because they were in the chat department. I am now on hold with them again... So far, it's been 41 minutes. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I made two deposits $2000 and $2400 and they close my account. I don't why and If you call it takes a long time before you reach someone. I called a few times yesterday, the lines were busy, what a joke, they seem to be honest at first and It took over 30 days to get all my account information from HSBC. I would tell people to stay away far away from this bank. I don't why the banking agency does not do something about this.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Opened a credit card with HSBC because of the cash back. The flat fees they charge at any random point scammed way more money out of me than that. The worse part of it was trying to pay off and shut down the card at the end. After paying off everything on the card I found that I was charged a flat $25 "Late Fee" on literally no money as the account was now paid off (overpaid actually). I called in to remove this crazy fee and I was told that the card would be sorted and shut down so I threw another $10 in there to make sure it is all paid off and done.

A month and a half later I log in to literally check if these people bothered to do their job and my account tells me I OWE $16 because of LATE FEES?!? Turns out I was charged another $25 and then another $8 on a card that was OVERPAID by $17... Am now on the phone trying to shut this card down again and I am being told they cannot return this $17 because the ACCOUNT IS 30 DAYS DELINQUENT?!? So because HSBC failed to shut down this card when I asked they think they can charge me unjustified fees and refuse to return money that THEY OWE ME!!! Do not recommend at all, less than zero stars. Bank should be investigated for fraudulent financial practice as the charge "Late Fees" on money they owe people.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

After multiple calls being transferred and disconnected along with spending over 3 hours on the phone dealing with teams in the Philippines, India and then Ireland I was scammed out of over 3% of my funds due to a international transfer error and the lack of information provided by HSBC. I'm completely disgusted in the way I was treated and I'm sure this would've been a very different story if I had been their 'Premier' customer. Going forward, I will ensure that everyone in my connection knows of this awful experience with a bank who claim to have such a global presence and support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

My rent check was intercepted, forged, and written out to a complete stranger for my rent amount +1,000 extra dollars. The check was so obviously washed, how it got processed and money withdrawn is beyond me. I filed a fraudulent check affidavit, filed a police report, contacted the FTC and the BBB twice and have yet to receive my refund. It has been two weeks. TD Waterhouse bank, where the check may have been processed, actually called me stating the check appeared fake and that they were ready to return funds but have not heard from my bank. Contacted the branch contact and corporate but they have no sense of urgency and do not return my phone calls. Appalled by their lack of urgency and abhorrent customer services.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Recently opened a credit card with HSBC, but for no reason it's blocked by the bank, don't know why. I just made one transaction of around 80 dollars and paid it off next day. First so difficult to get someone on its customer service, luck if I get someone then I was told that Banks verification department wants to verify some information. It's not more than 7 days, after wasting more than ten hours I could not get anyone from its verification department. Even to pay over the phone was so difficult that I had to make so much struggle to pay it.

I just don't have any patience left in me and called customer service and asked to close the CC, they told that they even cannot cancel it without verification department's intervention. Oh my God, this bank is looking like a big scam. Does anybody, got department or law handle this bank and stop its harassment to the public. There are so many bad reviews that HSBC does not care about and not willing to improve its Customer care.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

HSBC, if I am not mistaken had the largest penalty a bank received to date and did so because they opened accounts for drug king pins who bought real estate worldwide... Reuters - HSBC Holdings PLC agreed to pay a record $1.92 billion in fines to U.S. authorities for allowing itself to be used to launder a river of drug money flowing out of Mexico and other banking lapses.

So in turn they basically have treated clients like crap, questioning just about everything their retail clients do. I have a friend who has several hotdog vending carts and we walked into HSBC with cash of 11k Canadian. The teller without reason refused the funds, sad was this was normal practice for my friend for 9 years, he just went to my branch and I was shocked. Now I am from HK and bounce back and forth to Toronto, I requested a draft for 35k by sending my funds from HK to the Canadian account and without any questions agreed. One week later my friend and I received a notice without warning they wish to close out my account and his, Never wrote a bad check, can substantiate my money and my friend the same way.

Bravo HSBC. You let drug lords wash their money through your bank system I would guess in the billions and now you want to be anal and assume the worst on your clients and without cause shut them down. What is worse was I called HSBC HK and they said, "We have no say in what Canada does, but we welcome your business and sorry for HSBC Canada choice to stop your account without any due diligence." I guess if I sold drugs, I would be allowed to have an account and buy buildings and deposit millions… Perhaps I will try and open an account and say under profession Drug Dealer and maybe I will be treated like a human and what I thought to be the best bank in the world... Bravo HSBC. Look and guess and make a choice to shut them down for no reason other than being lazy to communicate first and ask your concerns

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

After being a customer for 20 years HSBC closed all accounts without warning. When I tried transferring $2300 from my Chase to my HSBC, HSBC held on to the money and did not send it back to Chase and have not returned it to me. They tell me they don't know where the money is and basically told me, "Tough luck." This happened on 6/25. It is now 8/2 and the money is still missing.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I opened up my checking account with HSBC and they never sent me any mails. I tried to create an internet banking account for my checking account but I was unable to do so. I called the bank over 30 times and was put on long holds over 30 minutes each. I still am unable to access my funds with the bank.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have the invitation from HSBC to apply for a CC in April. They said I have been pre-approved. I started fill-out the application, didn't hear anything from them, either "approved" or "not approved". I called in and talked to one person, she said yes, I have been approved but need to wait (?) for the email. I've waited and finally got the card around May 20, 2018, with all the "Congratulation" packet and policies, and welcome, etc... you name it. I called and let them know that I would use when I travel out-side-of the US from June 6 to July 4, 18.

They said everything was fine. I could not use it during my vacation, that was not great at all, but it's OK. I came back home (US) on July 5 and have trying to use it, got DECLINED!!! I called 7 times, every time I have put on hold for about 30 minutes or more to get to the 1st person, then that representative put me on hold to get to a second one in about more than 45 minutes (they call "Security Dept.", because they didn't get access to my account, but still he/she can't help because they said they need more info from me.

I don't understand why they couldn't verify my info with me on the phone and just tell me what they need from me. I am to the point that I get very frustrated. Finally, I talk to a "REAL" person, her name is April, she then asked me to send my driver license and proof that I live in my house through the email address to us.fraudpreventionargo@us.hsbc.com (WHY? I received the CC to my address; why should I verify the address???, but that was fine, I did it right away).

Two days later, I called again to see if they received my info and let me use my card. Same old bad way, I have had to spend more than 2 hrs to get to someone. I started calling them in the morning before work, if I don't have enough 2 hrs for the call, I have to wait until after 2 pm, when I was able to call them back, like today, after was putting on hold for 42 mins, at 4:00 pm, then I got hung up from the voice saying "Sorry the department has closed now". It is really hard to get to talk to someone work in the Security Dept. I don't know if I still have patience to due with the worst CS whatsoever from HSBC!!!

Original review: July 16, 2018

How to scam a child, HSBC! To wit: My son had a savings account with HSBC USA to receive social security payments as a minor until he was 18. When the payments stopped -- thank you Social Security for what you did over the years -- he had $100 or so in his account. He didn't pay any attention to the account after that. He figured the money was safe. What we didn't realize was the bank was taking $5 a month over the past year, ostensibly because he didn't keep a balance of $500. A kid saves money -- his money, which the bank makes money on -- in an account, hoping for the day he can add more, but discovers, instead, they've taken it away. This is gouging to say the least. How many tens of millions does the bank make by requiring customers, especially children, to keep a minimum $500 in their savings accounts or else get fined? HSBC should be ashamed. Other banks, as well, that do the same.

Original review: July 13, 2018

It is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE customer service. O MY GOD. I am from one of ** Countries I NEVER NEVER had this experience even there in developing country. I don't have any words to express this customer service. I try to pay my first credit card bill but I couldn't. Almost due date now. It is very weird. Almost a week now they keep transfer me from one person to another until I hung up the phone. Every person I spoke asked me my personal information for verification and keep transferring me. I spent more than 2 hours today on the phone. You can see the picture but I couldn't pay my bill.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Worst customer service I've had with a bank! They can leave you waiting for hours on the phone then tell you they're calling you back which never happens. Everyone keeps on transferring you to other departments which you wait by each one for hours with no one to help at the end anyway.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Do NOT ever open a credit card with HSBC. Within 2 months I had fraud on my account, which happens sometimes. The customer service was HORRIBLE. I had to sit on the phone for hours on end, for 3 days, just to get a person. I even asked for managers, and they couldn't get the right fraud people on the phone with me. You will regret ever opening a letter from HSBC. BEWARE and save yourself aggravation. DO NOT get an HSBC credit card EVER!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I opened account online, which took about a month. Was NEVER able to log in to personal banking. Spent countless hours on the phone and via chat. Had to add an authorized user so they could withdrawal money so I could close the account... via chat of course because I couldn't log in. I thought it would be a good idea to open an account with them because I'm moving to London in few months. Worst decision I've ever made.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I started the process of opening a simple checking account with HSBC nearly 3 weeks ago. My initial deposit of $3000 was completed and HSBC has taken my money in less than 24 hours of initializing the transfer. It is three weeks later and I still have no access to my account or any of that money. I am now 3 hours into waiting on the phone, after being hung up on twice by different departments and transferred by 5 different people. It appears HSBC doesn't intend to let me use my money or give it back to me. Please save yourself the time and trouble, take your business elsewhere.

Original review: June 4, 2018

On 7 March 2018, I applied for a checking account online, after a few days they requested some documentation to prove my identity which I gladly provided, after a few days I called to get the status of the account and the customer service did not know what was going on so they kept transferring me to their online fraud department or something similar to it. The thing is they were blaming each other for the account not being opened, after about 3-weeks of opening the account, they still not know what was taking so long. And apparently there were two applications at once, so that's when I decided to cancel the application process and asked them to refund me the online deposit I made in order to open the account. To this date I have yet to receive my $100.00 refund.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It has been several weeks since I began the process of opening a new checking account with HSBC. I have called multiple times to a number in NY and after being placed on hold for up to a half hour I get a person in their so called fraud dept who has poor skills in determining why I am having such difficulty in setting up the new account. I have scanned both driver's license and U.S. Passport a couple of times via Gmail and they respond to me that it was not delivered. They have never called me to inquire why my account is taking so long to set up. Oh really, I have documentation that it was received. So my next best option is to cease trying to open an account as it is probably a prelude of things to come with my dealings with HSBC. Forewarned is forearmed in the banking world.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I am BEYOND frustrated with this company. NEVER in my life have I had to deal with such incompetence. I cannot even link my checking to my account at HSBC to pay my bill. No one will call me back and no one knows any answers! Weeks have passed and they have not fixed the problem. They have lowered my FICO score because of this and I am so upset. Now my credit card account is completely frozen. Never do business with company - they are beyond awful and you cannot get anywhere by communicating with them as no one knows what they are doing. They don't deserve even 1 star!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Customer service is just so unprofessional. First of all, trying to get a hold from a representative takes over 30 minutes most of the times. In addition, they’re so incompetent to resolve any inquiries that I may have. For instance, I’ve been calling for about two weeks in order to know why my credit card is not working and either I have to wait or speak to a representative who doesn’t speak English fluently. It’s been three weeks and my credit card still doesn’t work and nobody from HSBC can’t solve this issue. At this point, I’ll stop banking with HSBC and of course complain with the BBB.

Original review: March 25, 2018

HSBC Milpitas, Horrible service - This is my first time in my life to write an only one star. The teller is significantly incompetent and the manager is a person who does not qualify as a "manager". We are there to ask a simple statement. First of all, the teller did not know how to print out a simple statement and blah blah blah told us to wait. Then the manager pissed me off and said to me that she need to talk to the account owner not me. Well, even though I am not the owner but I am a live-human being being there for help. She couldn't show her respect attitude, instead... I was so regret to encourage my husband to open HSBC account.

Also, the online banking sucks, which is not friendly at all. We couldn't create the online banking by ourself, instead, we have to wait for the access in the mail. I have no idea at all how this branch staff survive in this industry. I really want to file complaint about the male teller and the female manager. And I swear I and my family won't open any account in HSBC ever. Never forever. Bye.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I am very sad to the HSBC suspended my account for no reason. Now is 8 weeks. I can not access my business account or my money. When contact HSBC they refused to speak to me. HSBC requested prove when the money comes from and I did supply all evidence. I keeping called, visited the branch, emails, send a letter and still refused to reply me. HSBC keeping receives money from my customers for self. I have requested all my money my business account and will found another bank. I want to take legal action to HSBC from discrimination, and keeping money from my customers. I am now going to the hospital due to the stress HSBC. If you know any civil laws can help me I will be much appreciated!

Original review: March 14, 2018

HSBC bank. The following is my humble opinion and what I believe: I will never open bank accounts, credit cards etc. with HSBC. They are one of the worst banks I have ever dealt with. The online process to open a simple bank account took me about an hour and a half and it’s still not finished I Believe the bonus of $350 to open a bank account was a bait and switch scam. Calling customer service about five or six times all calls went to the Philippines with people barely speak English and they sound like five in a closet. It’s so noisy. Very unprofessional bank experience I had. What a disgraceful bank I believe. Then days later five days later I went to branch to remove my $10,000 they're holding hostage is unbelievable and I got told I can’t take the money out after wasting another hour in the bank with clueless people who blame online banking as the issue.

I have wasted several hours on nonsense and on a unprofessional disgraceful banking experience with HSBC. Corporate offices in the UK. I will be filing complaints with the banking commission, negative reviews on social media sites, negative reviews on internet, etc. I have open many banks accounts online and never have such a serious issue and wasted so many hours. WHY HSBC CUSTOMER SERVICE CALLS TO PHILIPPINES AND CAN’T UNDERSTAND THEIR BROKEN ENGLISH and sound like 5 people in a closet with lots of background noises?

Original review: March 10, 2018

After being an HSBC UK customer for 8 years, they froze my account for being inactive/dormant after a few months (I hadn't used it in a while), and also froze my telephone banking for some reason. I don't currently live in the UK, so could not go into a branch in person to "verify my identity". After calling for 6 months and repeatedly asking for a letter/code to unfreeze my telephone banking (in order to then re-open my dormant account), no letter came. When I called, the customer service agents could not confirm the address they were sending the letter to for "my security", because my telephone banking was frozen. I would later find out that they were sending the letter (WITH SECURE INFORMATION) to the wrong address. But they could not tell me this. If this sounds Kafka-esque and ridiculous and illogical, trust me, it was.

I went into an HSBC US branch and begged them to call the UK bank to get my account unfrozen. After an hour on the phone, we were able to get my telephone banking unfrozen, but not my dormant account reactivated, because they have bizarre address and ID confirmation policies (what they are trying to confirm, I don't understand, because all of the addresses are easily changeable either on their website or through my other banks). No policies are consistent. None of their staff seem to know or understand their policies for basic things like unfreezing an account. I would absolutely NEVER recommend this bank to anyone. I will likely be closing my account after I get it unfrozen (it still isn't).

Original review: March 7, 2018

I found HSBC very difficult to navigate. I organised a savings account with intentions to save with a new job. I attempted to set up internet banking and was unable to. It turns out I was meant to be sent a security device when I opened the account. I asked on multiple occasions to send me the device and it continually got missed and didn't happen. Eventually I have decided to close the account due to being unable to access online banking as a result of no security device. Trying to close the account has been a ludicrous effort. I have sent the correct paperwork and then after receiving it they send me a sheet to confirm my signature.

So difficult to navigate. So many policies and procedures. I was also asked a lot of personal information to do with my work and finances that I found invasive and inappropriate, but was forced to answer in order to change my address and receive the next lot of paperwork to attempt to close account. I am so very upset and disappointed.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I went to purchase lunch. Card did not work. Called HSBC and was advised needed to verify transactions after I had been with them for a month at that point. Waited on hold for 25 minutes that the place gave me the food for free. About 1 1/2 hour later spoke with Fraud. They asked for my passport number. I have never had a passport. I signed up with state ID. Resubmitted same info over the phone. Thinking all is well. Long story short I asked for my application showing I selected passport. They denied that. They stated they are closing my account and will mail my check and I should receive it within 7-10 business days. The account is still open and blocked and they give me a different time frame each day I call. I have filed a complaint with the BBB as this has cause all my bills to be late. I had to borrow money. Incurred late fees on rent will be $180. It's embarrassing to not be able to handle my business behind this.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I just opened a credit card with HSBC. Made my first purchase and got a fraud alert which required me to call a call center in India that could hardly speak English to confirm my charge. Made my second purchase and AGAIN got a fraud alert which required me to call a call center in India that could hardly speak English to confirm my charge. It's absolutely ridiculous that I can't use this card without getting a fraud alert for every purchase that I make. If I have to call India to confirm every charge, this card isn't worth my time or aggravation. Upon using my card the 3rd time, it's now been declined and I apparently can't use my card at all and I'm getting damn sick of calling India. What a joke of a bank! I will never use this card again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

A living trust acct was set up years ago at HSBC by my mom with my brother and me as the trustees. For many years I deposited funds and withdrew funds from this acct. This past December my brother and I agreed to withdraw all funds and dissolve the acct. HSBC barred us from withdrawing our funds. My Trust and Estate attorney spent 2 months representing us and dealing with the legal dept of the main branch with countless phone calls and voluminous paperwork. We were barred from removing our funds until my attorney finally prevailed.

HSBC caused my family undue stress and extreme tension without due cause. A horrid and illegal situation caused by HSBC's incompetence. If HSBC sets up an acct in the name of a trust, it is incumbent upon them to understand the legal working of the trust. I believe that HSBC did not want to dissolve an acct with a substantial amount of money that would have been a loss for their institution. Instead HSBC set up "roadblocks" hoping we would be thwarted and give up. Shame on this horrid bank!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

They have this really policy that to use the APP you need to have a PIN number that they give you and that is fine. Now the problem is they send the PIN number through mail a couple weeks after you have your card. I called customer service to ask for it, they can't help... And all they can do is to give you a temporary Login ID and password until the PIN number arrived in the mail. The customer service... I would guess they are from outside the States so a bit hard to understand and the quality of the call is terrible. They also transfer you 2 or 3 times to the wrong department. Then after you wasted 20 minutes talking to the wrong people they still unable to help you. I'm just gonna to get the sign up bonus offered then will never use this card again.

HSBC Company Information