1.09/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

758 HSBC Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I signed contract at the bank more than two months ago and just got my debit card today, I had to go to the branch every weekend to ask about ANYTHING, I even faced problems debiting some cash and had to wait till they find my contract not on the system but the actual document, my phone banking is deactivated for some reason they are not saying and I cannot even create a PIN for my debit card. The agent who created my account doesn't answer and the branch manager doesn't know anything just like the agents, I ask about what is wrong. They don't tell and they give false promises.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I opened the Premier Checking account with HSBC online on March 28, 2018. Under "Terms and Conditions" indicated if you deposit $10,000 within 30 days and keep it for 90 days, you will received the bonus of $350 within 8 weeks to your account. On July 5, 2018, I have fulfilled the requirement and decide to downgrade (according to Terms and Conditions - the account should be in good standing) to choice to keep $1,500 to void the monthly fee. Before I walk in to the branch to downgrade, I called in and spoke to 9 different people in the customer service department and they told me that I will be still eligible for the bonus.

I walk in to the branch and spoke to the branch manager, she said online open account and branch open account are different but since I spoke to the CSR, it should be still honored. I waited and waited, still till now I have not received my promotion that I am fully eligible for. Since I made the complaint to Vice P Manager Adriana ** on 9/25/18. She escalated the issue to HQ and I received the letter on 10/20/18 saying I am not eligible for the bonus. Please do not fall for this SCAM!!! HSBC is a big SCAM!!!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I requested statements for two accounts, there was some glitch in the program which wouldn’t allow me to look back at those statements. I called HSBC and told them that I needed the statements, she tried walking me through how to print them out, but the program wouldn’t let me look back further than 6 months. The Customer Service rep put me on hold for over 10 mins then just hung up on me. I then did it through email and I received an email from HSBC confirming that I wanted the statements, they were going to charge $5 a statement which is a scam, since I couldn’t look it up online. I acknowledged that I was aware of the fees. I waited over a month and didn’t get anything. I tried two more time and got nowhere! I did the online chat today and this Customer Rep said they were going to send it and charge the $5 a statement. GO TO ANOTHER BANK, ANY BANK IS BETTER THAN THIS ONE!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I opened an online personal checking acct with HSBC bank. Account creating and wire transferring the amount was OK, it took about 1 hr to finish everything. I received an email on Monday (3 days later) to call them with not much details except the phone# and IB Reference Number. Note that this is 3rd day, still my wired amount was not deposited into my account. As requested in my email I called them on Monday, Tuesday waited almost 4 Hours in multiple calls. They put me waiting but no response. Neither they responded me nor they deposited my wired money.

I call them again on late Tuesday evening and CLOSED MY ACCOUNT FOR GOOD. Before closing, I did check account. Still my wired money was not deposited. I'm not blaming the customer service employees but I'm blaming the system, they do not have time for customers and my money is in danger now. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GET BACK THAT MONEY THAT I WIRED TO HSBC.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

If I could give no stars I would. I am still awaiting a lien release that should have been filed 11 years ago on a loan that was never closed. At the time we were given such a hard time that we went with someone else. We had a premium account and got rid of it because of how we were treated. Now HSBC is holding up our closing for which we may have to pay an additional $500 to extend the time of our agreement. No guarantee of when they will file the UCC3 that was their responsibility. Sent several requests via email and called several times.

You think with all the bad reviews about HSBC that the government regulators (especially in the US would do something). I'm also a part time real estate agent. I'm telling every last person I know and/or come in contact with to stay away from this bank. I hope HSBC eventually falls flat on its face without being able to get back up. Not good for many of its customers and is run worse than a governmental bureaucracy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Really awful. We are a charity trying to save lives in a desperately poor area of India by sending money from the UK. They did a safeguard check on our account which took a year of us repeatedly sending the information they requested. One person would acknowledge receiving it when we phoned them and would say everything was completed. Three times this was done and three times they sent a letter a few days after threatening to close our account if we did not provide the information requested. The person who was dealing with our safeguard check was dismissed. Another person took over who was allegedly trying to phone us on a number of occasions, but never left any voicemails or sent any emails to us asking again for the information they needed otherwise they would close the account.

Eventually a letter arrived stating that they had closed our account, a cheque was enclosed with the closing balance. We complained and asked them to reopen the account, and offered to provide any information they needed. They did not log the complaint and merely stated that the account was closed and could not be reopened and that because it was closed they could not tell us what information was required. A week later a complaint was raised which this time was logged. It is coming close to the time limit of eight weeks for them to respond with a resolution. After other complaints raised with a number of phone calls still a resolution letter has not arrived. Apart from that numerous other hassles have occurred and other complaints have been raised with them over the last few years.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I am in Australia with an account in UK. Unable to transfer money as they had deleted my payees and it was not possible to simply add them back (is this the worlds worst internet banking service?). Called on two occasions. Same result, THEY could not access my account as my telephone banking service was locked! I don’t recall ever having called them before so that’s a mystery in itself.

I was told to go to my branch with my passport, my branch is 350 km away! It did not seem to make a difference just kept say they could not help any further. So... first call a polite lady after seeming to show interest said to save me hanging on she would call back, “You sure?" I said, "You're not just going to ignore me?” She assured me she would call... she did not. Second call after many many minutes of nonsense saying they could do nothing I insisted on speaking to the supervisor, I was put off and put on hold several times but eventually he got fed up with my not being fobbed off and got me his supervisor, who was very polite but useless. Told me to hold... then... hung up! Seems I have to drive 350 km to the branch to sort it just like in 1977! Join at your peril.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have had the worst customer service from this bank. It even beat out Wells Fargo and made them look like the bush league. First, anytime I used my debit card to buy anything online or even the groceries, it would get flagged as suspicious activities and the card would get locked. The account reactivation process required me to wait on hold and answer absurd questions. This happened on a weekly basis. Next, my husband died while we were living overseas. This was my undoing in banking with them.

1) I called them up and informed them of the death. They deactivated his online account and locked me out of our joint US account. They informed me the only way I could get access to the account was if I flew back to the US from the UK and spoke to a branch in the US. This checking account had some automatic deductions scheduled from it. I was unable to move money into the account or cancel these. It proceeded to get overdrafted and began wracking up late fees meanwhile my UK account had plenty of money to cover this, but I could not transfer anything. When I called them up, they refused to even take my money in attempt to cover it, and just let it wrack up late fees until I was able to fly back to the US.

2) I also attempted to roll over his Traditional IRA into my Traditional IRA. One year later, yes a whole year, this has still not been done. I have no access to our retirement funds. They have had me fill out at least 6 separate forms to complete this, and it has never been done. I cannot transfer the IRA as it is still in his name. They have sent me the wrong IRS paperwork to fill out that is for a non resident non citizen of the US, with statements like 'when did you lose your US citizenship' Uh never. Every time I call they tell me they are looking into it, or there is some other paperwork I need to fill out. It is never sent to me. I was told at one point it had been rolled over. It never was upon looking at my account. I called back and yep, still not rolled over. It appears that they have essentially stolen this money and will never release it. Run, do not walk, as far from this incompetence as fast as you can.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

My credit card was blocked and I received an email instructing me to contact the security center. I have been trying to contact the security center by phone during the last 15 days and it was impossible. After waiting more than 15 minutes in each call nobody answers. And my credit card is still blocked...

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I opened an advance checking account with HSBC when I received a card in the mail saying that if I opened an advance checking account with them and keep at least $10,000 for 90 days from 30 days from opening, then after eight weeks from the 90 days $350 will be deposited into my account. I opened the account accordingly and kept the $10,000 from 3/17/2018. I called and talked with a customer representative a couple of times with the first week of opening the account and keeping the said amount just to make sure that it is qualified for the award they were promising.

However, on 9/20/2018 I called as I didn't see the $350 deposited into my account. After several times of holding as the representative was looking for what went on at their end, I have been told that she was going to elevate the case and her supervisor came on the phone and assured me that somebody will call me within one week with an answer. Nobody called even after 9 days so I called and the representative who came on the call said that there is nothing he can see that I had such a conversation with anybody. So he started asking me about when and how I opened the account. Then I knew that there is no point in talking to anybody in HSBC as they should know all the details. So I just hang up. And I just closed the account by withdrawing the account to the original transferred account.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have been with HSBC Bank for nearly 15 years. The only reason I've stayed with them is because I have premier status. However, even with premiere status, HSBC has the worst customer service ever. Your premiere relationship manager never contacts you and there is huge turnover where most leave the company and do not even notify you. Moreover, each time I attempt to call HSBC customer support, I am on hold for over 30 minutes (and this is when I call the Premiere Customer Support line). I received a fraud alert, and have tried contacting the bank for the past 4x days, but without any luck. At this point, I am considering switching banks because HSBC has zero interest in putting its customers first or making a change. In addition, the app is very archaic. You're better signing up with Chase and any other bank!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

My credit card number was compromised and I contacted HSBC that day. I gave them all the information, and even contacted the vendor where the card number was used. That vendor then refuted the claim that the purchases made were fraudulent and HSBC is now coming back to me for $680 in fraudulent charges. Their fraud department rep was extremely rude and nasty on the phone and pretty much accused me of lying. Cancelled the card, and I would never do business with them again. I'm really shocked that they are that bad.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Waited for a chat only to be told I had to call. Called, was told I needed to be transferred, next person said same thing, but she instead just hung up on me. I was on the call a total of 1 hour & 14 mins, with 99% of that time being on hold. Tried chat again, no reply. Chatted again and asked them to call me. They said they couldn't relay the message because they were in the chat department. I am now on hold with them again... So far, it's been 41 minutes. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I made two deposits $2000 and $2400 and they close my account. I don't why and If you call it takes a long time before you reach someone. I called a few times yesterday, the lines were busy, what a joke, they seem to be honest at first and It took over 30 days to get all my account information from HSBC. I would tell people to stay away far away from this bank. I don't why the banking agency does not do something about this.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Opened a credit card with HSBC because of the cash back. The flat fees they charge at any random point scammed way more money out of me than that. The worse part of it was trying to pay off and shut down the card at the end. After paying off everything on the card I found that I was charged a flat $25 "Late Fee" on literally no money as the account was now paid off (overpaid actually). I called in to remove this crazy fee and I was told that the card would be sorted and shut down so I threw another $10 in there to make sure it is all paid off and done.

A month and a half later I log in to literally check if these people bothered to do their job and my account tells me I OWE $16 because of LATE FEES?!? Turns out I was charged another $25 and then another $8 on a card that was OVERPAID by $17... Am now on the phone trying to shut this card down again and I am being told they cannot return this $17 because the ACCOUNT IS 30 DAYS DELINQUENT?!? So because HSBC failed to shut down this card when I asked they think they can charge me unjustified fees and refuse to return money that THEY OWE ME!!! Do not recommend at all, less than zero stars. Bank should be investigated for fraudulent financial practice as the charge "Late Fees" on money they owe people.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

After multiple calls being transferred and disconnected along with spending over 3 hours on the phone dealing with teams in the Philippines, India and then Ireland I was scammed out of over 3% of my funds due to a international transfer error and the lack of information provided by HSBC. I'm completely disgusted in the way I was treated and I'm sure this would've been a very different story if I had been their 'Premier' customer. Going forward, I will ensure that everyone in my connection knows of this awful experience with a bank who claim to have such a global presence and support.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

My rent check was intercepted, forged, and written out to a complete stranger for my rent amount +1,000 extra dollars. The check was so obviously washed, how it got processed and money withdrawn is beyond me. I filed a fraudulent check affidavit, filed a police report, contacted the FTC and the BBB twice and have yet to receive my refund. It has been two weeks. TD Waterhouse bank, where the check may have been processed, actually called me stating the check appeared fake and that they were ready to return funds but have not heard from my bank. Contacted the branch contact and corporate but they have no sense of urgency and do not return my phone calls. Appalled by their lack of urgency and abhorrent customer services.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Recently opened a credit card with HSBC, but for no reason it's blocked by the bank, don't know why. I just made one transaction of around 80 dollars and paid it off next day. First so difficult to get someone on its customer service, luck if I get someone then I was told that Banks verification department wants to verify some information. It's not more than 7 days, after wasting more than ten hours I could not get anyone from its verification department. Even to pay over the phone was so difficult that I had to make so much struggle to pay it.

I just don't have any patience left in me and called customer service and asked to close the CC, they told that they even cannot cancel it without verification department's intervention. Oh my God, this bank is looking like a big scam. Does anybody, got department or law handle this bank and stop its harassment to the public. There are so many bad reviews that HSBC does not care about and not willing to improve its Customer care.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

HSBC, if I am not mistaken had the largest penalty a bank received to date and did so because they opened accounts for drug king pins who bought real estate worldwide... Reuters - HSBC Holdings PLC agreed to pay a record $1.92 billion in fines to U.S. authorities for allowing itself to be used to launder a river of drug money flowing out of Mexico and other banking lapses.

So in turn they basically have treated clients like crap, questioning just about everything their retail clients do. I have a friend who has several hotdog vending carts and we walked into HSBC with cash of 11k Canadian. The teller without reason refused the funds, sad was this was normal practice for my friend for 9 years, he just went to my branch and I was shocked. Now I am from HK and bounce back and forth to Toronto, I requested a draft for 35k by sending my funds from HK to the Canadian account and without any questions agreed. One week later my friend and I received a notice without warning they wish to close out my account and his, Never wrote a bad check, can substantiate my money and my friend the same way.

Bravo HSBC. You let drug lords wash their money through your bank system I would guess in the billions and now you want to be anal and assume the worst on your clients and without cause shut them down. What is worse was I called HSBC HK and they said, "We have no say in what Canada does, but we welcome your business and sorry for HSBC Canada choice to stop your account without any due diligence." I guess if I sold drugs, I would be allowed to have an account and buy buildings and deposit millions… Perhaps I will try and open an account and say under profession Drug Dealer and maybe I will be treated like a human and what I thought to be the best bank in the world... Bravo HSBC. Look and guess and make a choice to shut them down for no reason other than being lazy to communicate first and ask your concerns

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

After being a customer for 20 years HSBC closed all accounts without warning. When I tried transferring $2300 from my Chase to my HSBC, HSBC held on to the money and did not send it back to Chase and have not returned it to me. They tell me they don't know where the money is and basically told me, "Tough luck." This happened on 6/25. It is now 8/2 and the money is still missing.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I opened up my checking account with HSBC and they never sent me any mails. I tried to create an internet banking account for my checking account but I was unable to do so. I called the bank over 30 times and was put on long holds over 30 minutes each. I still am unable to access my funds with the bank.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have the invitation from HSBC to apply for a CC in April. They said I have been pre-approved. I started fill-out the application, didn't hear anything from them, either "approved" or "not approved". I called in and talked to one person, she said yes, I have been approved but need to wait (?) for the email. I've waited and finally got the card around May 20, 2018, with all the "Congratulation" packet and policies, and welcome, etc... you name it. I called and let them know that I would use when I travel out-side-of the US from June 6 to July 4, 18.

They said everything was fine. I could not use it during my vacation, that was not great at all, but it's OK. I came back home (US) on July 5 and have trying to use it, got DECLINED!!! I called 7 times, every time I have put on hold for about 30 minutes or more to get to the 1st person, then that representative put me on hold to get to a second one in about more than 45 minutes (they call "Security Dept.", because they didn't get access to my account, but still he/she can't help because they said they need more info from me.

I don't understand why they couldn't verify my info with me on the phone and just tell me what they need from me. I am to the point that I get very frustrated. Finally, I talk to a "REAL" person, her name is April, she then asked me to send my driver license and proof that I live in my house through the email address to us.fraudpreventionargo@us.hsbc.com (WHY? I received the CC to my address; why should I verify the address???, but that was fine, I did it right away).

Two days later, I called again to see if they received my info and let me use my card. Same old bad way, I have had to spend more than 2 hrs to get to someone. I started calling them in the morning before work, if I don't have enough 2 hrs for the call, I have to wait until after 2 pm, when I was able to call them back, like today, after was putting on hold for 42 mins, at 4:00 pm, then I got hung up from the voice saying "Sorry the department has closed now". It is really hard to get to talk to someone work in the Security Dept. I don't know if I still have patience to due with the worst CS whatsoever from HSBC!!!

Original review: July 16, 2018

How to scam a child, HSBC! To wit: My son had a savings account with HSBC USA to receive social security payments as a minor until he was 18. When the payments stopped -- thank you Social Security for what you did over the years -- he had $100 or so in his account. He didn't pay any attention to the account after that. He figured the money was safe. What we didn't realize was the bank was taking $5 a month over the past year, ostensibly because he didn't keep a balance of $500. A kid saves money -- his money, which the bank makes money on -- in an account, hoping for the day he can add more, but discovers, instead, they've taken it away. This is gouging to say the least. How many tens of millions does the bank make by requiring customers, especially children, to keep a minimum $500 in their savings accounts or else get fined? HSBC should be ashamed. Other banks, as well, that do the same.

Original review: July 13, 2018

It is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE customer service. O MY GOD. I am from one of ** Countries I NEVER NEVER had this experience even there in developing country. I don't have any words to express this customer service. I try to pay my first credit card bill but I couldn't. Almost due date now. It is very weird. Almost a week now they keep transfer me from one person to another until I hung up the phone. Every person I spoke asked me my personal information for verification and keep transferring me. I spent more than 2 hours today on the phone. You can see the picture but I couldn't pay my bill.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Worst customer service I've had with a bank! They can leave you waiting for hours on the phone then tell you they're calling you back which never happens. Everyone keeps on transferring you to other departments which you wait by each one for hours with no one to help at the end anyway.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Do NOT ever open a credit card with HSBC. Within 2 months I had fraud on my account, which happens sometimes. The customer service was HORRIBLE. I had to sit on the phone for hours on end, for 3 days, just to get a person. I even asked for managers, and they couldn't get the right fraud people on the phone with me. You will regret ever opening a letter from HSBC. BEWARE and save yourself aggravation. DO NOT get an HSBC credit card EVER!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I opened account online, which took about a month. Was NEVER able to log in to personal banking. Spent countless hours on the phone and via chat. Had to add an authorized user so they could withdrawal money so I could close the account... via chat of course because I couldn't log in. I thought it would be a good idea to open an account with them because I'm moving to London in few months. Worst decision I've ever made.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I started the process of opening a simple checking account with HSBC nearly 3 weeks ago. My initial deposit of $3000 was completed and HSBC has taken my money in less than 24 hours of initializing the transfer. It is three weeks later and I still have no access to my account or any of that money. I am now 3 hours into waiting on the phone, after being hung up on twice by different departments and transferred by 5 different people. It appears HSBC doesn't intend to let me use my money or give it back to me. Please save yourself the time and trouble, take your business elsewhere.

Original review: June 4, 2018

On 7 March 2018, I applied for a checking account online, after a few days they requested some documentation to prove my identity which I gladly provided, after a few days I called to get the status of the account and the customer service did not know what was going on so they kept transferring me to their online fraud department or something similar to it. The thing is they were blaming each other for the account not being opened, after about 3-weeks of opening the account, they still not know what was taking so long. And apparently there were two applications at once, so that's when I decided to cancel the application process and asked them to refund me the online deposit I made in order to open the account. To this date I have yet to receive my $100.00 refund.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It has been several weeks since I began the process of opening a new checking account with HSBC. I have called multiple times to a number in NY and after being placed on hold for up to a half hour I get a person in their so called fraud dept who has poor skills in determining why I am having such difficulty in setting up the new account. I have scanned both driver's license and U.S. Passport a couple of times via Gmail and they respond to me that it was not delivered. They have never called me to inquire why my account is taking so long to set up. Oh really, I have documentation that it was received. So my next best option is to cease trying to open an account as it is probably a prelude of things to come with my dealings with HSBC. Forewarned is forearmed in the banking world.

HSBC Company Information