3.29/5

826 HSBC Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 19, 2019

Decided to take their seemingly generous offer of cash ($850) to open an account, so I did. Was told that my money would also earn over 2% interest while sitting there. Opening the account was overly cumbersome but I muddled through it. I deal with many banks and have a lot of experience with banks, the HSBC process was not normal. After finally jumping through the many hoops I find that the account basically earns no interest.

In order to earn interest I have to open other accounts and they make this almost impossible. They do do provide routing numbers (that work) which astounds me. If you can get through to anyone, they tend to be not at all helpful and do not call back or respond in a timely fashion. Finally I decided to just close the account and get my money back, and of course this is even more difficult. I transferred the money 3 days ago and have not seen or heard anything since. I am told that it can take 5 days....We will see.... I would not deal with this bank ever again!

Original review: June 13, 2019

It's been over 8 years I'm an HSBC customer in 4 countries around the world, their service is always been pretty much good, but lately I was dealing with my International Relationship Manager from HSBC France and it's been a terrible experience. First of all, completely unexpected he has sent me an email notifying that my account in France has been blocked because showing inactive status (I live abroad since 8 years) and I had to provide a lot of documents (also tax declaration) to reactivate it. Starting from the principle that I receive yearly notification from HSBC with such a request and I always fulfill it, this time I found this way very brutal and no respectful. Is it necessary to block my account?

Nevertheless, I have replied in the same day asking for some clarification and he has never replied to my email for over 2 weeks. What a beautiful customer service!! Obviously, being unable to access to my account I had to call the hot line to understand what was happening. The lady was asking me to send those documents and the account would have been unlocked but without providing further information on how come it was locked in the first place. Also when I started to raise the fact that her colleague didn't reply to my email for over two weeks, she just said "I will inform him but actually we are too busy now and I need to hung up the phone"!! WOW another beautiful moment of customer service!! I think something wrong with your guys in France. Give them some cross exposure in other countries and let them learn about customer care. Really disappointing!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I have been a fan of HSBC’s excellent customer service and appreciate the ease of doing business with you all. However, I recently found out that HSBC reported a late payment on my credit reports. This late payment (August 2018) was the result of the technical glitch of the EZ Pay System. I hope you can help me remove this late payment mark on my credit reports. Here’s what happened: When I volunteered in Egypt last summer (May-Sept 2018), I applied for a HSBC credit card because of its presence in Egypt and beyond. Before I volunteered in Egypt, I called HSBC to place a travel alert and inquire about steps I need to take to set up automatic payments. I was worried because I might not have access to internet.

A representative told me he would help me with those process and not to worry. However, my EZ Pay setup was not complete and I did not receive any update from HSBC, such as an email, mobile app, phone call, or a letter, that this wasn’t properly set up. I assumed everything is in order. When I returned to the U.S. in Sept 2018, I learned that my account ending in ** was reported late to all 3 credit bureaus for the month of August 2018 and closed by HSBC. I immediately made a full payment. Due to the technical glitch, I was not able to enroll in auto-pay. Now, I am applying for a student loan and mortgage, and would like to request for HSBC to remove this late remark.

I have mailed your internal credit bureau the request and received a response that HSBC cannot remove this late payment mark based on a “courtesy basis.” I’m not asking for an adjustment based purely on “courtesy.” I’m appealing because the late payment was not due to a lack of funding, but rather because of the setup error of EZ Pay. Please look into this matter and resolve this for me. I can be reached at the mobile phone number and email address on file. Thank you for maintaining your world-class service, HSBC. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Original review: June 4, 2019

This is by far the worst bank I have ever used. They are running a scam. They do not honor their signup bonus. Repeatedly find different tricks to put more money in your account but makes it incredibly difficult for you to access. None of their customer service reps are qualified. They tell you something different each and every time you try and get on the phone with them. It takes a while to even get a human on the phone. They often put you on hold then just hang up. The reps will reassure you your complaints are being noted and filed. However, when you contact them back because an issue was never resolved they never seem to have any issues on the subject. Ive tried filing 2 formal complaints only to find out after spending hours on the phone they never processed it or have any records.... They treat their customer like with minimal respect. They basically refuse to provide any support. You may find more success in talking to a wall.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Very poor customer service on their credit card dispute department. I've had a dispute going for 4 months and they still have not credited me back even though I supplied tracking numbers for the product being returned. When I called them I had to hold over 30 minutes and then had to hang up. Called again and as of now I have been on hold for 63 minutes. To top if off I get the same message every 10 seconds saying "we are sorry, all our reps are busy assisting other clients. Please hold the line as we value your call." Did you ever think you should hire more people to answer the phones? Is my time so unvaluable that I have to sit on hold for an hour? The dispute amount is not even worth my time, I will never use my HSBC credit card again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: May 29, 2019

I opened an account because the in store Rep told me there were no international ATM fees. It turns out there are. Their mobile app is amateurish at best. I received a call from HSBC indicating I had opened a Lexus Credit Card, which I did not. I went to the HSBC website to find out who I needed to contact for suspected fraud. The website says to call the number on the back of my card. I did that and followed the appropriate prompts. The Security Rep over the phone immediately told me I needed to hang up and call another number. I asked to speak to a Supervisor and was hung up on. The single worst bank I have ever dealt with. Never again! Buyer beware!

Original review: May 20, 2019

Saw my local branch was offering a $750 cash bonus for opening an account with $75,000 balance. So saw relationship manager that told me I needed to go online to get an account number and once received he would open an account for me. I received approval and account number. Went into branch and was told I needed to open both a checking and savings account and didn't need to fund the checking account and could put the $75,000 into savings. 4 weeks later the bank closed my checking account because it had no transactions. I didn't get my bonus because to qualify you need both a savings and checking account.

The local branch claimed I was the one that closed my account and that's the reason for not getting the bonus. I called customer service and they clearly said the bank closed the account on their own and it was I that closed the account. Also they said that the checking account opened needed to be funded with at least $1.00 to qualify for bonus. That isn't what banker at the branch told me to do. The branch refuses to take any responsibility and tells me the fault is mine for closing the checking account. Nasty scammers. DON'T DO ANY BUSINESS WITH HSBC. They are out legitimate and will screw you. Their bankers aren't telling you the truth and are part of the scheme. Shame on them for screwing the innocent public.

Original review: May 19, 2019

When I received HSBC promotion via mail, I deposited $10000 at HSBC branch office on September 24, 2018. After six months, which was March 24, 2019, I went to the branch office and wanted to get out my deposit money together with the promised $400 bonus. However, I was told there was NO BONUS for me in their system. I went to the office on April 11, April 15, Joyce told me that I should get the $400 promotion and it was processed by Jasmine, the person who processed my deposit on September 24, 2018, but someone "back in the office" didn't process it. She promised that they should get back to me within two weeks. She promised to let Jasmine get back to me on April 16 when J was in.

So I went back the office, asking whether Jasmine got the message from Joyce to call me back. She said said the operational manager Joyce told her I was there on Monday, April 15, but didn't tell her to call me. I took out my cellphone and asked her to repeat. She saw my cellphone on the table and changed her story, saying that Joyce did asked her to follow up with me but she didn't because she needed the information updated before she could call me. She promised she has submitted 2nd documentation and only waiting to get it approved by regional manager, and that it would take up to 4 weeks, but usually within 2 weeks.

I asked Jasmine to update me each Friday UNTIL the issue is resolved. She agreed and entered the calling update on her calendar as she was saying it out aloud to me. She did call me on April 19, the Friday of that week, but failed to keep her promise for the following weeks, April 26, and May 19, May 17. Seven weeks have passed since my deposit bonus for the promotion was mature with HSBC on March, 24, 2018, still, I have NOT received the bonus nor an explanation. I also called the customer service on May 14 and talked with Aron. He listened patiently and promised me to talk to the branch office.

No call from the branch office even after I talked to HSBC Customer Service till today. April 15, 2019, Jasmine promised that I should get my bonus approved within four business weeks, but usually only needed two weeks. However, after four business weeks,which should be May 15, 2019, I received nothing. This is the worse bank experience I have ever had. I am going to take further actions against HSBC, and will tell my friends and family never to trust HSBC again for any of their promotions.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I opened a savings and checking account with HSBC because of the bonus that they paid. I went into the branch in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. and spoke to Mayra ** at that branch. We talked about opening several accounts. She was very pleasant, and we figured we had a winner with the brand and the manager. We were wrong. I have had my account now for over a month and still don't have access to my funds. I can't get into my account. Every time I call her she is too busy to answer the phone. I leave a message but she does not call you back. If I get in touch with her and she says she will send you some info she does not.

My debit card does not work because I never received my pin. She gave me a number to call so they could get me an emergency pin. But first I had to deal with their fraud department. They kept asking for proof of who I was. First it was 1 thing and after I gave them that they would ask for something else. I complied with all their demands.

Now I get to call for the emergency pin. I call and I feel everything is good till he tells me that my debit card will not work till I use it in a United States HSBC ATM machine. I am currently out of the country. I can't use it in any other country because it has to be used first in the U.S. I still don't have access to my online banking because I never received the proper info to make an on-line account. I don't even know my account number. Branch manager Mayra ** is supposed to be my contact person but she is useless. I will be back in the U.S, in August and I will close all three of my accounts. I am adding my name because I want people to know this is true. Stefan **

Original review: May 13, 2019

I initiated a balance transfer on-line from HSBC to Capital One on Feb. 24th, 2019 for $3,500.00. Two weeks passed and the monies were not in my checking account. I called HSBC to cancel the transaction. Although I called, a check was sent to Capital One. According to Capital One they never received such check. I am being billed for $3,500.00 which I never received. I have made numerous phone calls to HSBC, in addition to providing evidence from Capital One that indicates that the monies were not deposited into my account, but the issue has not been resolved. I went in person to the HSBC Bank and the teller suggested that they put a stop payment on the check or try to track down the of the check. I am being billed for a balance transfer that never went through and being held responsible for locating the check.

I feel that I should not be held responsible for following-up on a check not was not received by Capital One. I reported this matter to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and they are currently handling the issue. In addition, they suggested a class action suit if enough people complain. If you are reading this review, please contact them at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, PO Box 2900 - Clinton, IA 52733-2900 or call at 855-411-2372.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I tried to open both a savings account and checking account to qualify for a $750 bonus on April 12, 2019. They opened the savings account and took the money from my funding bank in just a few days. Getting the checking account was another matter. It is now 4 weeks later, they have had my money for a month, and I have not qualified for the bonus. I have received yet another request for more information. This is about the 5th one. They have gone through the 'online account opening dept', the 'fraud department' and any other department to not open my account. I believe this is just a scam offer of $750 to get your money and never pay the bonus.

I have spent hours and hours on the phone and chat to no avail. I was promised numerous times that the account would be opened in 48hrs. But all I receive is yet another email requesting more info. I have sent them copies of drivers licenses, then they wanted a form to verify my social security number. I sent that on April 23 and yesterday I receive yet another email stating they need more information. None of this was necessary for them to open my savings account and take my money from another bank!!!

I called them to cancel my application. Then later in the day, I receive a phone call about my application. I told him I had cancelled it. He said, "No, it is still in the system". I again told him to "cancel the application". This is either the most incompetent bank or a major scam. BEWARE!! I have also initiated a transfer of the money in my savings account to be sent to another bank. This better go through!! I want nothing further to do with HSBC and if you are reading this... DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK!!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I made it a wire transfer for over $200,000 as part of my divorce settlement from the Vienna VA branch of HSBC to United Bank in Fairfax VA. After confirming all the wire details the wire was made and then I called my ex to see if she had received the funds on her and she said she had not. Talk to the branch manager and he said that sometimes it takes up to three hours which I found strange. Because I was a Premier Bank in member and my balance was now Only had a few hundred dollars left in the bank it manager told me I would need might want to close my account because I would incur a $50 monthly fee, so I closed my account. I called back the bank later that afternoon and the wire still had not been made so I called HSBC headquarters.

Someone at HSBC in the wiring department told me that the wire and never come through to their office but she had finally found it and was going to release it. The next morning I still found that my wire had not gone through. I called my branch bank and they said that branch manager was not there so I called HSBC corporate four different times. Each time they transferred me and I was cut off on the fifth called. They told me I needed to talk to my relationship banking manager. I called my relationship manager and she was absolutely no help. I explained my situation and she said since my account was closed there’s nothing she could do. I truly believe that HSBC was trying to keep the $200,000 wire.

Everyone at the Corp office speaks broken English and is hard to understand, This is because their office must not be based in the US and therefore customer service is the world’s worst. I drove up to the Vienna branch bank Which didn’t return three different calls. I found the customer representative who made my wire yesterday and asked him what happened. He seemed very embarrassed and said he was still looking into it. He finally came back and he said that the corporate office canceled my wire, but did not give a reason as to why and that they did not call anyone.

I told the branch manager there that I was not going to leave until I got my money back and that the wire was quarter ordered once I told him that he immediately called the corporate office and they said to write me a check for the amount. I wasted over a day and a half Getting my money back. If you’re reading this never ever bank with HSBC. If you have an HSBC account make sure you never do a wire Because they will steal your money and there is no recourse once the money leaves your account.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I opened a checking account online at HSBC USA. To finalize the account opening 2 trial deposits were to be completed. Due to some technical error these failed. In 3 emails I was prompted to submit a check to HSBC USA. And in an online chat it was confirmed that I may send a check for deposit. So I purchased a cashier's check and was just about to send it off, when I received another email from HSBC informing me that further information is needed to open the account. I was told that the emails prompting to send a check were send in error and the employee should not have given me the information. What an incompetent, deceitful lot!

Original review: April 26, 2019

I opened the account to transfer a balance from another card. You can't sign up for an online profile until you receive THREE SEPARATE VERIFICATION CODES, all which come in different forms (e-mail/text/mail) ALONG WITH receiving your card. I only received 1 of these 4 things in a 2-week timespan. I called every other day asking where my card was, told it'd take 5-6 days, then again 7-10 days (every person had a different answer). I finally got them to make me an online account so I can start the balance transfer.

When I put it through, the website kicked me out so I called to confirm it actually went through. I was told, "Yes, it was pending 7-10 days". After 7 days I followed up on it. I was told, "No it's actually 14 days". OK. So I followed up after 14 days of nothing showing in my account. The representative happily told me THERE WAS NO BALANCE TRANSFER ON MY ACCOUNT. Interesting, since I talked to a handful of people who all saw it previously. I closed the account after having waited over a month for the card, verification, and a balance transfer that never went through.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I'll spare you the whole story but I have been trying to update my account details on a Serious Saver account with HSBC and the process has taken about 3 weeks now with hours of time on the phone. I was handed around from person to person. They promised callbacks that never eventuated. I have probably spoken to 7 or more different representatives from their phone customer service now to try and sort my issue. They tell me "another department" has to sort the issue but this "other department" can't be contacted via phone, only email. That is a travesty in my opinion (and sub-par) and has caused me to waste my own time trying to sort this whole issue out. Staff are great, don't get me wrong but there's a underlying sickness in the organisation that needs to be fixed in their process and communication channels otherwise they will continue to have disempowered customer service staff.

Original review: April 23, 2019

On a recent trip to Mexico City, I used my credit card at an ATM inside an HSBC bank to acquire pesos. The ATM issued one 500 peso bank note and two 200 peso bank notes that were counterfeit. The bank refused to provide good notes and refused to return the counterfeit bank notes. The question is whether those counterfeit bank notes were put back into the same ATM to scam another customer?

Original review: April 15, 2019

I applied on 4/5/2019, took their initial offer due to 0% for 18mos, then I after I applied I opted out of promotional offers that did soft credit pulls on me. So then I get a email stating they mailed out my card so when I didn’t receive it just yet I called them on a Saturday early morning being told that I then needed to contact their security department after being on hold for over an hour. The representative was of NO HELP! She then transferred me to the security department which was then closed only open m-f 8am to like 11 ET. So then come today (Monday) was on the phone ☎️ with them for a very long hold time.

This time I reached an American representative that was seemingly more helpful then he went on to tell me that they needed a copy of my driver license, utility bill, and me to sign a document for them to go to social security to verify my identity (name and social) which is crazy. I have never heard of such a process as this so upon reading all the terrible reviews I decided I’ll NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM! It’s not worth it. Do your homework before applying/doing business with these people. They acted as if they were giving 30k in credit and the limit they gave me was not even worth it as it wasn’t enough to do a balance transfer anyway.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I used a special HSBC online link that was required to get a $350 bonus on a $10,000 checking deposit, which would be credited about 5 months after making the deposit. Everything went as-expected to do the online setup, up thru the point I had entered the funding bank account info, then it went awry. The next screen asked a yes or no question, but missing from the page was the Continue button. I clicked the Chat button, but the person was unable to help advance my application. In the meantime, the application timed-out.

HSBC had given me an application number, so I was able to get back to the page where the problem occurred, but still no Continue button or any other way to get off the page. After a while, I got a message that the application was canceled. By that time, I was 2 hours into what was supposed to be a 15-min process, per HSBC. Then I got a congratulatory message that my funds transfer was complete. But the process was canceled, I had been told. Another chat, but no good results.

Then three different people, all with noisy backgrounds and heavy Indian accent, on phone calls. I was finally able to get an account number from one of them, and finally able to create a login & PW to see that the money really was there. The third person was able to tell me that my deposit did not qualify for the bonus, probably because I had not completed the application. Duh!

So what the takeaway from this? Run, do not walk, away from HSBC and count your lucky stars that you read this review before, not after, you had wasted a lot of time with this company. FYI, in order to get my money out of HSBC, I had to use my phone, not my computer, to again set up the external transfer bank I had used in the application. Their website would not load the HSBC external bank setup applet when I logged-in thru my computer; my phone was the only way to do that. So... A screwed-up website that results in a link not doing what it's supposed to do, would leave anyone with a sour taste. But when it was doing this with $10,000 of my hard-earned cash was not the way to earn my business. Hopefully, my money is now on its way back to where it came from. Stay away from HSBC.

Original review: April 8, 2019

This is for your own sanity: Do not open a bank account at HSBC Mexico. I opened it at Cabo San Lucas; however the most unfriendly people are working at San Jose del Cabo Mexico. Completely rude, lazy and difficult. Not only does HSBC make it complicated to open a bank account and get FULL ACCESS to online banking BUT they add more complexity like a "token" and "secure key" for 'more security.' Don't get me wrong. I'm for security but this is nonsense. YES, I am aware that they were sued for their unethical criminal participation in 'money laundering' but again these employees they've hired are incompetent and do not want to work and help out.

1. Cannot obtain FULL ACCESS to my online or phone HSBC app. I can see what is in it, but cannot do anything. No transfers, no adding beneficiaries. NADA.

2. The "activate token" is a complete TIME WASTING complicated idea. The system throws you off and then you have to continually keep trying for hours, days and months. I've been trying for 2 months - on phone, at their Mexico branches. NADA.

3. Fast forward I try to CLOSE the bank account due to its unnecessary issues and problems. In person the bank employee tells me and I kid you not: "I cannot close your bank account. You must use your ATM card and take out 7000 Pesos daily until your bank is empty." And if that is not enough idiocy -- she can't speak English so she desperately brings over a wild guy in his late 30s with tattoos, piercings and craziness over to my account while he can view my account as he looks at it and he tells me in English everything I told you above!!! Is this a joke??? I said to her, "do you know him?"... he got nervous and disappeared after I stared at him. Unbelievable nonsense. MORONS. INCOMPETENCY.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have had bad experience after bad experience with HSBC. Long wait times, unhelpful staff, and minimal information from the company. Most recently, I spent 50 minutes jumping through hoops on a phone call in order to upgrade my advanced account to a premier account. After going through all manner of documentation and verification they then very hastily said: "Well, there is an internal check that says we will not be able to upgrade you today..." and then proceeded to ask if they could describe all of their other account types available. No explanation, no information about what I would need to be able to do in order to open account. Just a blunt statement - "Sorry, it is an internal check and we are not allowed to go into detail..." What a sham. This is not the first time I have spent an hour with this company to be turned away entirely without being served and with no information. Thanks HSBC.

Original review: March 27, 2019

HSBC is a sneaky and unconscionable, Would have given zero points if I could because this is a shady bank that will NOT reflect a recent payment of $2084.57 made to the credit card total balance even though the payment has been cleared on the external checking account used! According to their useless rep it will take 10 days just for the payment to reflect on my credit card balance! This is not common with other American banks, I will never deal with them again and NEITHER should you!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Every transaction or operation with this bank requires you to jump through unnecessary hoops and experience frustrating delays. My account was in hibernation due to inactivity, so I go to the branch to unlock it. Even though I was there in person at my branch, they could not unlock my account, and needed to submit a request for head office to do it... Which would take two to three weeks!

In another instance, I was assisting a client transfer funds from a HSBC account to another institution, and they kept on giving us the runaround... First claiming the other institution's forms were insufficient (even though it contained the exact same info as the HSBC form), and required the HSBC form instead. And then they needed to speak with the client before continuing, even though the client had signed off on the form, with a signature guarantee by the dealer. Lastly, my mother needed her T-slips for tax filing, and asked for HSBC to mail a duplicate copy to her, as she had not received it initially. HSBC insisted that she go to the branch in person to fetch them! What bank does that in 2019?

Original review: March 20, 2019

I signed up for this the HSBC cash rewards credit card originally because I was traveling abroad and it didn't have foreign transaction fees. I also understood that it had 0% interest for 12 months but later found out that this was ONLY on balance transfers. I had racked up $200 worth in points but without notice they closed my account without my permission because my automatic payment was not made due to a typo! I was able to book an airline ticket with those points only to find out they had shut down my account. I had tried calling them but they didn't call me back in time before ending things. They were unable to reopen my account and it really took a blow to my credit score. Their customer service was an absolute joke! I will never ever use HSBC again! Horrific and most stressful experience imaginable! I am a good customer with an excellent credit score. Sorry to see that they lost a good customer for life. They need to get their ** together!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I've been a victim of a huge fraud syndicate who uses HSBC as their bank. This means that HSBC harbor criminals/fraudsters as surely before a person opens up a bank account, the bank HSBC, must do a background check on so called person! I've paid $3200 into HSBC Walnut branch account in February from South Africa whereas only after funds left, I realized I got scammed. Since then, my bank and I tried numerous times to contact HSBC as to reverse my funds. Today is 15 March 19, and we are yet to receive any feedback from HSBC US. This means that HSBC as well as these criminals are working together to steal peoples funds. There's no e-mail contact anywhere. How do they expect a person from SA to contact them? I send e mail to the UK, and all they could say was that they don't work with fraud and can't help. HSBC YOU ARE USELESS AND YOU HELP STOLE MY FUNDS AS YOU HARBOR CRIMINALS.

Original review: March 14, 2019

DO NOT BUY INTO THIS BANK!!!! IT IS A SCAM!!!! I received a mailer with the bonus $375 offer. In order to get the offer, please read the fine print and do everything!!! 1. Take the mailer in person to the branch. Open the Checking Advance account with $10,000. You will go through a very long "verification" process. 2. Keep the funds in the checking account for 90 days or, if you really want to maximize this, open the online savings at home for the online rate of 2.22%. 3. In a total of 5 months, you will receive the bank bonus of $375.

Simple....you would think but it is quickly proving to be a nightmare for me. I walked in the deposit, took the mailer in person. They opened up the checking no problem, but the savings got declined because they could not "verify" me even though I had physically brought in all my credentials to make it easy for them to walk me through this process. You cannot open this account in the branch but you have to do the savings online application at home. I thought this was easy, but it is not. After getting declined, I tried at home to do this on Saturday. My account application was pended. I called to find out why. They told me that I would have to link an external bank to do micro deposits in order to "verify" my account and if I was able to verify this, then my account would be funded. I promptly did this on Monday. It told me "thank you for verifying", then the message was that my account would still be in process of verification and review.

I called them again. They transferred me to the fraud/security department and advised me that I would need EVEN more information like a driver's license to prove who I was and to be considered the "right" customer, really?!!!! So, I asked the rep in that department to email me so that I could scan and email them my license. After that was done in the same day, about 2 days ago, my account is still "under review".

I called them again today, 3/14/19, the phone system states that the hold time is an indeterminate amount of time and that applications are still in pending status and that there is a high volume of applications being reviewed and may take an additional 10 days. NONE of the other major banks have such an intrusive, invasion of privacy, inconvenient, time consuming, type of hoop jumping that you have to go through with this bank!!! I am nervously still awaiting my application and I expect that even though I did everything requested on a timely basis, they're going to turn my application down for some ** reason. Most likely they will not give me my bonus in August 4, 2019. This is not a bank but a regime. SO VERY DISAPPOINTED, ANGRY, UPSET, ETC...

Original review: March 13, 2019

In Sept. of 2018, I took an advantage of an offer from HSBC in which I would be entitled to a $350 bonus offer if I deposited and maintained a balance of $10,000 for 90 days. I followed the rules immediately and completely. As of today 3/12/18, I closed my account with a balance of $10,000 and 45 CENTS. I spoke to reps on the phones numerous times in the last week battling to get my bonus offer. Their reasoning was that I did not open the account properly online, so they disapproved the offer. My money basically sat in their bank for 6 months to collect 45 CENTS in interest. WOW!! I was robbed of the $350 bonus offer!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS with HSBC BANK!!! They will not follow through with their offers!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I already have a checking account with them so I thought it would be easy to open a direct savings account also. Wasted so much time. Every helper said different things. After trying 10 times someone at the bank suggested I use a driving license from 5 years ago in NY. At that point I gave up. I am a USA citizen and live in AZ and have my own business and make 500K a year. This is not a bank.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I am an expat. I live in Australia and have HSBC accounts in both countries. HSBC UK have frozen my accounts (which still have funds in them). After spending hours on the phone to them several evenings in the last week they will still not unfreeze them. Their red tape is wrapped up in red tape. The advisors are not knowledgeable enough to suggest anything that may help resolve the simple issues. The solutions suggested fall upon deaf ears and a lack of interest to help elsewhere. Truly awful customer experience and desire to help people displayed by this institution.

Original review: March 5, 2019

These morons place a fraud alert on my card on a Friday. Immediately I called customer service and the first moron tells me I have to call Monday to Friday as their fraud dept is closed now and also on on Sat/Sun. I tried chat with moron #2 in India - same scripted call. I called them on Monday at 5.10 pm and the third moron tells me to call between 9 am and 5 pm. I called 8.20 am Tuesday morning and waste time with 3 more morons - just to close my account. Finally after 45 minutes they say OK ACCOUNT IS CLOSED. You may think PHEW! PROBLEM SOLVED! WAIT NOT SO FAST. 5 days later they send me a new credit card - which I will not activate. My question is - who is the idiot running this bank? How is it possible so many idiots in one place?

Original review: March 2, 2019

Are you kidding me??? They have my private information??? Where DID they get it??? Not from me??? Phoning me day and night with salespeople speaking Chinese?? I am in Canada in my private home and I have intruders calling me that are calling themselves "a bank"??? This is not a reputable bank. They have stolen my information from me through scammers. Invaded my privacy!!! If I want your credit card I can apply and after this giant violation of trust...not a chance!!! Not now... Not later... Not ever!!!

HSBC Company Information