1.00/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

HSBC

Looking for a mortgage lender?

HSBC Reviews

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

This will be long, but please read so you avoid the psychiatric hospital bills this ** b.s. bank has made me incur. My head is still spinning over the twilight zone that HSBC will put you into. I received a letter from HSBC with a pre-approval. Not pre-qualified. Pre-approved. I'm between jobs and my daughter has very expensive medical bills, not all of which are covered by insurance. She has cancer, and that $5,000 could come in handy, so I completed the identifying info requested and VOILA! I was told I would receive an email when the card was on the way.

I received my card, along with TWO ADDITIONAL LETTERS: one had an electronic banking code, and the second had a 6 digit phone access code. Together with the card, this was THREE SEPARATE PIECES OF MAIL from HSBC (I'll tie all this together, just be patient). I activated the card using the website address on the sticker affixed to the front of the card, and went online to change the 6 digit access code. BAM! After I changed the code, I was notified there was a security hold on my card. A card I had NEVER USED. I called the number on the card, and was transferred 3 times, after being told I needed the "fraud apps" team. FIVE ** HOURS ON THE PHONE, and by the time I got a live person, and had to answer a barrage of security questions REPEATEDLY, I was told that department is closed FOR THE WEEKEND. What legit credit card doesn't have 24/7 access and support? NONE. That's how many. NONE.

I would have forgotten the card, but as mentioned, my daughter has medical expenses, and that $5,000 was going to help. So I called again on Monday. FOUR HOURS ON THE PHONE. They sent a letter requiring identifying documentation: EITHER a passport, driver's license or ID as photo identification, a form from the social security administration to verify my social security number, and a request for a utility bill or bank statement to verify my home address. I sent a copy of my passport card. NOPE. After another 4 hours on the phone, was told it had to be the actual passport, not the card. Sent that. NOPE.

I completed the PRE-APPROVED application using my driver's license number, so they needed that, not my passport. REALLY? Your letter said I could provide a passport OR driver's license. Now you need both? Okay. Submitted that. But it has my mailing address/office on it, whereas my bank statement has my home address. So now I need to submit documentation to verify BOTH addresses - my home and my mailing address. Hey, morons. You sent me the card at my mailing address. You sent me the access code I'm using to call you to that address. If it wasn't a real address, we would not be having these (now over 20 hours) of ** conversations. OH, and about that bank statement. The bottom right corner was cut off, so it wasn't accepted, although the address and all identifying information was perfectly clear. Guess that "page 1" makes a hell of a difference in identifying me. IDIOTS.

Okay, so I submit my mobile bill as proof of my office/mailing address. NOPE. Need a utility bill. Hey morons, I don't get the utility bills at my office. I get them at home. And I already provided you with proof of that address. In between this, the social security form was rejected because I forgot to check a box. I told them go ahead and check it for me. Nope, you have to do it. Which I did, and paid $7 for the post office to scan and re-send. GREAT NEWS! The social security form was accepted. Except then when I called back today to find out the status I found it wasn't accepted. "I don't see that in the notes here." "OH, and did you submit your driver's license?" "Yes, last week." "I don't see that here." Oh, no wait...here's a note. I guess your social security administration form was accepted, but we still need a utility bill FROM YOUR MAILING ADDRESS.

Sir, once again, there are no utility bills for my post office box. But you did mail me the card and TWO OTHER PIECES OF MAIL to that address. Is common sense non-existent on this planet any longer? I have bought cars worth $85,000 and had lines of credit for thousands with less issues than this ** $5000 card. SO...a few years ago HSBC was hit with fines for money laundering. In response, they implemented such ridiculous security measures you'd think you were buying a house worth millions. And who in the world feels comfortable email every piece of identifying documentation?? AND, their "fraud" team is only in India. Nothing in the US. Nothing in the UK. WTF? And they are closed on weekends.

As if that isn't ridiculous enough, you can't even understand anyone who answers the phone. They just read off of their little script and have zero idea what you are talking about. Robots. Orwellian. Oh, and that is actually WHEN they answer the phone. It has now been 2 weeks and my "active" card is not active, and I spent today and yesterday at the US Passport Agency and the Department of Motor Vehicles putting fraud alerts on my documentation. So now I have TSA issues to worry about next time I travel just for trying to protect myself from these fraudsters. Again, it was only my daughter's mounting medical bills that are not covered by insurance they kept me going back.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid this bank and anything to do with them. It's a SCAM and you will never be able to use the card, and they will take all of your personal documentation and clone your identity and ruin your credit. Report this bank and shut them down. Some terrorist could be running around with your driver's license or passport number. And since when is a driver's license a form of ID? IT'S TO DRIVE A CAR. A passport will always supercede a driver's license. I hate these people, and I'm so angry that I was stupid enough to provide this information out of desperation to save my child. WORST BANK EVER. They are not even a bank. It is a SCAM to fund terrorists. STAY AWAY. REPORT THEM!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I just recently opened a savings online only account with BANK HSBC. This was based on top recommendations for best accounts on a website. To begin the first week I opened the account. They blocked access to it because I logged in from another location. I mentioned I use a VPN for all my online banking. They asked if I was calling from a US phone number and I was like what kind of question is that if you can see my phone number. They released the block on that.

A few weeks later they blocked my account again for the same reason--logging from another location and my response was the same. This time they went above and beyond asking all kinds of questions that I did give a correct answer to. From SS#, address, phone numbers, and so on and so forth. First they asked me why was my phone number not registered under my name and I said because I have a family plan with my partner register under his; then they asked for his name. Then they asked what other banks I've had and if I recently made any transfers to what I gave them the right answer.

They kept on going with questions about other stuff even dare to tell me "Why did you open 2 accounts with 2 different banks on the same month? That's suspicious!." Like really? I can open as many accounts as I want in the time period I want. They called my financial institution to verify all my personal information with them and even then they were still doubting me (the bank institution did verify all the info with my authorization over the line). They asked "What is the source of your income" and I replied, "Obviously my job." They asked for my workplace, the reason I opened the account.... Blah blah blah.... I swear I ended up saying, "So what else do you need from me? A DNA test?"

I got so aggravated I told them I was feeling harassed and that they were making me feel like a criminal or fraudster; and why would I bother going through all this for a few dollars. I only had less than $125 on the account; like really? All this trouble "to protect my account" with just a few dollars on it. After 1 hour and 20 minutes they restored my access.

All in all I'm done with this institution. They humiliated me to the point I cried and for what? To lose another unhappy customer. This institution seems like a scam and control everything you put with them. Luckily it was only a savings account. I couldn't imagine doing other business with them. PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM. I have the information of the people I dealt with but obviously I know they are following protocol and guidance. I'm not blaming those specific people but the process and policy of the company that seems like non-sense in some ways to me.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I applied for the online savings account because of their high rates. My initial application was immediately declined because my credit was frozen. I thawed my credit report and applied again. On the application I gave my traditional copper wire LANDLINE phone number as my home phone number. During the application, I authorized an initial deposit of $1.00. I was contacted several times for additional information. Each time I called them they wanted to send me a text message with a security code. As an alternative, they could leave the code on my voice mail. They could not send this to a phone number that was not on the application. They allowed alternative means of identification by having me answer questions about my application or my credit report during these calls.

I ended up sending them photocopies of my drivers license, passport, utility bill, and a form authorizing them to verify my social security number. Finally after two weeks my application was approved and the $1 deposit was credited to my account. I received an email with some credentials and telling me that I would receive my security code by either text message or if authorized by postal mail within 7 business days. I cannot receive text messages or voicemail on my landline. I watched my postal mail for the following two weeks and nothing was received. Without the security code online banking cannot occur.

I finally called HSBC in regard to the security code. I waited 35 minutes to reach an agent. I asked if I could receive my security code by postal mail. I was told in order to do this I would need to accept a text message. I gave them my cell phone number. It was rejected because my cellphone was not registered with my savings account. They then said that I could receive a code via my voicemail, but my landline does not have voicemail. I was then told that I could give them the last four digits of my HSBC credit or debit card, but I don't have either type of account.

Finally, I was told I must appear in person at an HSBC branch within the next 24 hours to verify my identity. I live in Wisconsin. The closest branch is in the Washington, D.C. area. I asked if there were any other alternatives and I was told that there were none. I am glad that I only deposited one dollar. This account will remain dormant indefinitely. I will find somewhere else to deposit funds from my inheritance. Having an account with HSBC is not worth the hassle!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

If there's negative star I'll give negative star. First of all, I just opened a premier checking account to receive my paycheck. Since then, every interaction with HSBC is difficult. Then comes the day I tried to linked HSBC as an external account to my other checking account. The verification process triggered a security warning on HSBC's side. I was contacted by phone by HSBC to run a virus scan. They required me to send over a screenshot to unfreeze the account.

I did that immediately. But then never heard back!!! I called on day 3 to ask for the situation and was told that my email was not received. I resent the screenshot on the same day and called to confirm. The second guy from efraud told me they actually received all my messages. He even read my email out loud. I tried to interrupt because I knew what I had written, he kept going without letting me speak. He told me the reason for no reply is because my system language is in a language other than English so that they couldn't process my message. But they never told me until I called.

I then changed my system language and resend a screenshot. To date I have never received any reply. I NEED TO ACCESS MY ACCOUNT! Every time I call it took me more than 1 hour and I'm not going to call again. My next step is to contact the relationship manager to ask him/her cancel my account without penalty because the fault is completely on efraud's team.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

HSBC makes every user interaction as difficult and cumbersome as possible. Buying a home was a simpler process than setting up my US and UK accounts with this bank and ultimately required me to physically go to another state to sign a document. This initial experience was representative of every other interaction I had with the bank until I closed it today (also a nightmare). Logging into your account online requires: user name, password, child's middle name, opening their mobile app, 2 mobile clicks, and entering another generated code into the online experience. WHY DOES EVERY INTERACTION WITH YOUR BANK HAVE TO BE THE WORST! When you talk to the support team online, prepare to answer 6 levels of security EACH TIME THEY TRANSFER YOU (and they transfer you a lot). Bottom line, this bank disappointed me at every opportunity. I have worked with 6 other banks, and this is easily the worst one I have ever dealt with. AVOID!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My Real Estate Clients applied for a mortgage at this bank. HSBC Christal **, Elizabeth ** had 31 days to do an Easy loan with big downpayment - and only! 1 day before the closing date they said that loan is not ready. Before that they ignored all emails from RE companies and clients. Christal wrote she was on vacation for 2 weeks, and they have no idea when they would close the loan. It was such a big and costly mistake to do home mortgage with HSBC.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I applied for their online savings since they have the highest APY. Filled in the application, went through the credit check and the sourcing bank checks, etc... Then after 4 days I got a call from their fraud protection to provide them my driver's license. Then still after 2 days no response. I have opened similar accounts with online US based banks and everything has completed within one day. These turkeys act like you are at their mercy and they wanna take a month to approve your application... Then I read all these horror stories online and decided to withdraw my application.

Another thing that really bothered me is that they treat you like a criminal unless otherwise proven. Why do I have to deal with the fraud department of some bank if I want to open a simple savings account. I'm a very honest citizen who is investing my hard earned money. If HSBC has an unusual problem with fraud and money laundering they should probably put their executives under investigation and not honest and hard working citizens. ** HSBC and hope not to ever see you again!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I was looking online for a bank that has no fees and pays a good interest rate. I came across HSBC and it looked great. I opened an account online and transferred some savings from my Capital One 360 account. All fine and good. Then I got my weekly check in the mail and decided to deposit it in my HSBC account. No problems there. But then the next day, I went to log on to my account to see if the check had been deposited, but I couldn't log in. It said my credentials were suspended so I called the 800 number to find out what happened. Long story short, after a 20 minute phone call, their company policy is to suspend your account for 5 days when you deposit a check in order for the check to clear and they couldn't give me a reason why.. just that it's their company policy... That makes no sense! This bank is the worst!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I recently opened a new credit card with HSBC. This is my first experience with HSBC. I used checks they provided to transfer balances from other credit cards. Even though I used checks that they sent to my home address to transfer funds from one of my accounts to another one of my accounts, this still apparently triggered a fraud alert. Their fraud prevention department called and left me a message with instructions for a number to call and nine digit number to reference. I returned the call. They put me on hold for 15 minutes and then hung up on me before anyone answered the call. They then apparently put my account on hold so I could not use my card.

I called again over the weekend (because I have a JOB during the week) and no one could help me because the fraud department was closed on the weekends. Seriously???! I arranged for a customer service to call me on Monday at 330 pm EST to resolve this issue. It's currently 11:10 am on Monday morning. HSBC called me at 10am on my cell phone (not on my work phone as requested) and left ANOTHER message asking me to return their call referencing a 9 digit number. As I am typing this I have been on hold for 37 minutes. And this is all to resolve something that NEVER should have been an issue. I will stop banking with them just as soon as I can.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

They offer a bonus for keeping money in account for 90 days and then when you try to collect they say you have to wait another eight weeks. Fraud and terrible dishonest customer service. Save your money and go to a good bank like CIT, Synchrony, etc.

HSBC Company Information