1.14/5
Based on 264 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 14, 2018

728 HSBC Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 14, 2018

I am BEYOND frustrated with this company. NEVER in my life have I had to deal with such incompetence. I cannot even link my checking to my account at HSBC to pay my bill. No one will call me back and no one knows any answers! Weeks have passed and they have not fixed the problem. They have lowered my FICO score because of this and I am so upset. Now my credit card account is completely frozen. Never do business with company - they are beyond awful and you cannot get anywhere by communicating with them as no one knows what they are doing. They don't deserve even 1 star!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Customer service is just so unprofessional. First of all, trying to get a hold from a representative takes over 30 minutes most of the times. In addition, they’re so incompetent to resolve any inquiries that I may have. For instance, I’ve been calling for about two weeks in order to know why my credit card is not working and either I have to wait or speak to a representative who doesn’t speak English fluently. It’s been three weeks and my credit card still doesn’t work and nobody from HSBC can’t solve this issue. At this point, I’ll stop banking with HSBC and of course complain with the BBB.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2018

HSBC Milpitas, Horrible service - This is my first time in my life to write an only one star. The teller is significantly incompetent and the manager is a person who does not qualify as a "manager". We are there to ask a simple statement. First of all, the teller did not know how to print out a simple statement and blah blah blah told us to wait. Then the manager pissed me off and said to me that she need to talk to the account owner not me. Well, even though I am not the owner but I am a live-human being being there for help. She couldn't show her respect attitude, instead... I was so regret to encourage my husband to open HSBC account.

Also, the online banking sucks, which is not friendly at all. We couldn't create the online banking by ourself, instead, we have to wait for the access in the mail. I have no idea at all how this branch staff survive in this industry. I really want to file complaint about the male teller and the female manager. And I swear I and my family won't open any account in HSBC ever. Never forever. Bye.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I am very sad to the HSBC suspended my account for no reason. Now is 8 weeks. I can not access my business account or my money. When contact HSBC they refused to speak to me. HSBC requested prove when the money comes from and I did supply all evidence. I keeping called, visited the branch, emails, send a letter and still refused to reply me. HSBC keeping receives money from my customers for self. I have requested all my money my business account and will found another bank. I want to take legal action to HSBC from discrimination, and keeping money from my customers. I am now going to the hospital due to the stress HSBC. If you know any civil laws can help me I will be much appreciated!

Original review: March 14, 2018

HSBC bank. The following is my humble opinion and what I believe: I will never open bank accounts, credit cards etc. with HSBC. They are one of the worst banks I have ever dealt with. The online process to open a simple bank account took me about an hour and a half and it’s still not finished I Believe the bonus of $350 to open a bank account was a bait and switch scam. Calling customer service about five or six times all calls went to the Philippines with people barely speak English and they sound like five in a closet. It’s so noisy. Very unprofessional bank experience I had. What a disgraceful bank I believe. Then days later five days later I went to branch to remove my $10,000 they're holding hostage is unbelievable and I got told I can’t take the money out after wasting another hour in the bank with clueless people who blame online banking as the issue.

I have wasted several hours on nonsense and on a unprofessional disgraceful banking experience with HSBC. Corporate offices in the UK. I will be filing complaints with the banking commission, negative reviews on social media sites, negative reviews on internet, etc. I have open many banks accounts online and never have such a serious issue and wasted so many hours. WHY HSBC CUSTOMER SERVICE CALLS TO PHILIPPINES AND CAN’T UNDERSTAND THEIR BROKEN ENGLISH and sound like 5 people in a closet with lots of background noises?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: March 10, 2018

After being an HSBC UK customer for 8 years, they froze my account for being inactive/dormant after a few months (I hadn't used it in a while), and also froze my telephone banking for some reason. I don't currently live in the UK, so could not go into a branch in person to "verify my identity". After calling for 6 months and repeatedly asking for a letter/code to unfreeze my telephone banking (in order to then re-open my dormant account), no letter came. When I called, the customer service agents could not confirm the address they were sending the letter to for "my security", because my telephone banking was frozen. I would later find out that they were sending the letter (WITH SECURE INFORMATION) to the wrong address. But they could not tell me this. If this sounds Kafka-esque and ridiculous and illogical, trust me, it was.

I went into an HSBC US branch and begged them to call the UK bank to get my account unfrozen. After an hour on the phone, we were able to get my telephone banking unfrozen, but not my dormant account reactivated, because they have bizarre address and ID confirmation policies (what they are trying to confirm, I don't understand, because all of the addresses are easily changeable either on their website or through my other banks). No policies are consistent. None of their staff seem to know or understand their policies for basic things like unfreezing an account. I would absolutely NEVER recommend this bank to anyone. I will likely be closing my account after I get it unfrozen (it still isn't).

Original review: March 7, 2018

I found HSBC very difficult to navigate. I organised a savings account with intentions to save with a new job. I attempted to set up internet banking and was unable to. It turns out I was meant to be sent a security device when I opened the account. I asked on multiple occasions to send me the device and it continually got missed and didn't happen. Eventually I have decided to close the account due to being unable to access online banking as a result of no security device. Trying to close the account has been a ludicrous effort. I have sent the correct paperwork and then after receiving it they send me a sheet to confirm my signature.

So difficult to navigate. So many policies and procedures. I was also asked a lot of personal information to do with my work and finances that I found invasive and inappropriate, but was forced to answer in order to change my address and receive the next lot of paperwork to attempt to close account. I am so very upset and disappointed.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I went to purchase lunch. Card did not work. Called HSBC and was advised needed to verify transactions after I had been with them for a month at that point. Waited on hold for 25 minutes that the place gave me the food for free. About 1 1/2 hour later spoke with Fraud. They asked for my passport number. I have never had a passport. I signed up with state ID. Resubmitted same info over the phone. Thinking all is well. Long story short I asked for my application showing I selected passport. They denied that. They stated they are closing my account and will mail my check and I should receive it within 7-10 business days. The account is still open and blocked and they give me a different time frame each day I call. I have filed a complaint with the BBB as this has cause all my bills to be late. I had to borrow money. Incurred late fees on rent will be $180. It's embarrassing to not be able to handle my business behind this.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I just opened a credit card with HSBC. Made my first purchase and got a fraud alert which required me to call a call center in India that could hardly speak English to confirm my charge. Made my second purchase and AGAIN got a fraud alert which required me to call a call center in India that could hardly speak English to confirm my charge. It's absolutely ridiculous that I can't use this card without getting a fraud alert for every purchase that I make. If I have to call India to confirm every charge, this card isn't worth my time or aggravation. Upon using my card the 3rd time, it's now been declined and I apparently can't use my card at all and I'm getting damn sick of calling India. What a joke of a bank! I will never use this card again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

A living trust acct was set up years ago at HSBC by my mom with my brother and me as the trustees. For many years I deposited funds and withdrew funds from this acct. This past December my brother and I agreed to withdraw all funds and dissolve the acct. HSBC barred us from withdrawing our funds. My Trust and Estate attorney spent 2 months representing us and dealing with the legal dept of the main branch with countless phone calls and voluminous paperwork. We were barred from removing our funds until my attorney finally prevailed.

HSBC caused my family undue stress and extreme tension without due cause. A horrid and illegal situation caused by HSBC's incompetence. If HSBC sets up an acct in the name of a trust, it is incumbent upon them to understand the legal working of the trust. I believe that HSBC did not want to dissolve an acct with a substantial amount of money that would have been a loss for their institution. Instead HSBC set up "roadblocks" hoping we would be thwarted and give up. Shame on this horrid bank!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

They have this really policy that to use the APP you need to have a PIN number that they give you and that is fine. Now the problem is they send the PIN number through mail a couple weeks after you have your card. I called customer service to ask for it, they can't help... And all they can do is to give you a temporary Login ID and password until the PIN number arrived in the mail. The customer service... I would guess they are from outside the States so a bit hard to understand and the quality of the call is terrible. They also transfer you 2 or 3 times to the wrong department. Then after you wasted 20 minutes talking to the wrong people they still unable to help you. I'm just gonna to get the sign up bonus offered then will never use this card again.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

HSBC Jersey have managed to "lose" a large sum of money they were transferring from our account in Jersey to another UK account. Simple huh? Well not for this bank... They do not call back, they offer platitudes like "I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations" (well I certainly did not expect my money to go missing) and they take no responsibility for their ineptitude. The relationship managers are forbidden to give out their manager's email or the email of the CEO, which clearly suggests that they do not want their lofty CEO and managers to be bothered by a pesky customer complaint. Disgraceful HSBC JERSEY.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

After having to call in and being told something completely different every single time I called, mind you I also sat on hold for a minimum of 25 minutes each time I had to call, my issue still was not resolved and I was told that the only way to resolve it was to go to an actual branch. Well... the closest branch is over 4 hours away! I emailed in EVERYTHING that they asked for, even had them hold on the line while I emailed it to verify I had sent it. Poor, poor, customer service. Closed my account and lesson learned, I will take other people's reviews much more seriously when purchasing anything.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Has anyone else received a letter in the mail stating that their minimum payment would triple? Going from $230 per month to $700 per month without benefit of income verification, full disclosure of terms in accordance with the Truth in Lending Act (RegZ), not received a modification agreement, or missing large sums of payments? I paid 39 payments of $700 per month for a total of $27,000. My Home Equity Line balance Jan 2010 was $98,000. Now another forced modification 7 years later and my balance is $96,000 after having paid $27,000.

I am banker by profession. In 2010 I had an 800 beacon score. I did not earn enough to pay the illegally inflated payment amount so I exhausted my savings and retirement in the hope of protecting my credit history and my career. The derogatory reporting on my credit has destroyed my credit and my earning capability, the stress has affected my health and ruined my professional reputation.

I filed 2 complaints with the Florida State Department of Finance and 3 complaints with the Consumer Protection regarding the illegal modification, failure to verify income, failure to provide terms disclosure under Reg Z, and failure to provide a modification agreement in accordance with their Home Equity Line Agreement. The response from HSBC was a modification application each time. Both government agencies closed the complaints even though the complaints were addressed.

I applied for 3 modifications with HSBC who now used PHH Mortgage to administer the Home Equity Lines. I was denied for Too much income (according to the modification representative, my first mortgage was not legitimate debt). I have also been denied for Too little income although Wells Fargo had no issue with an agreeable modification with full disclosure. They also declined me for having no income following a stroke from overexposure to anesthesia. The program was designed for individuals who would receive Social Security Disability within the year. I received it a few months after denial.

There was recent pre-foreclosure that HSBC neglected to legally and serve me with. I found from a sketchy foreclosure service. My impression is after nearly for year in arrears, the season HSBC filed now was that they could potentially lose their Consumer Protection Bureau if you keep up the news regarding the potential dismantling of the CFPB. I contacted Congressman Alcee Hastings office who advised me to bring my documentation as they would help me as my rights had been violated. A few weeks later they told me to find an attorney. They could not help me.

A friend who was an investigator for the state of California where HSBC is licensed had an in process investigation of HSBC and were well aware that HSBC had illegally modified Home Equity Lines to force defaults packaging them together as Securities and were writing off the losses to offset the federal fines they had received for their lending practices in 2007 or 2008.

The Consumer Protection was not designed to protect consumers. It was designed to create an impasse/a wall between consumers and the banks to protect the banks from being held accountable for their illegal activities and prevent the degradation of the US financial system. A recent conversation with a supervisor at the CFPB lead to the disclosure that led to the disclosure that the CFPB does not become involved in arbitration of disputes unless they have multiple complaints about the same lender. I find it hard to believe that I am the sole complainant since the entire product line was modified in the same manner. Our right to class action suits was almost taken away under the current administration. Reality check: An individual has no power no matter what the constitution states. Only multiple combined voices can bring justice to those whose lives have been destroyed. Make noise!

At 56 years old, I have little hope of recovery from the damage to my credit history, loss of my retirement, a reduction in my annual earnings by half due the damage to my credit history preventing me from obtaining a position in my field at the level I had attained through 50 + hour work weeks, not to mention the destruction of my professional and personal reputation. In addition to the effect of the emotional duress affecting my health. Alone we are just white noise like on a television. Together we have hope of vindication, restitution, restoration of our names, credit, and earnings capability and so much more. TMI for some but truth is empowering the powerless!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I would give 0 star if I could. I wish I had believed all those 1 star reviews I read and didn't open an account with HSBC. If you value your precious time, please do not bank with HSBC in the US! Opening a checking online is not a good idea! You will not be serviced at the branch. Every banking activity will happen online or via the phone if you open the account online.

I opened an advanced account (which has higher balance and direct deposit requirements) and placed 3 orders for checking books. I still do not have my checkbook. I cannot pay rent or car loan. Yes there are still landlords and credit unions are difficult to set up electronic bill pay. It is always a pain in the ass to call them. I called 4 times to order checkbook and each call takes at least 30-60 min.

They claimed the online banking is more convenient or efficient but it is not! There is no confirmation for the conversation you had with the call center agent. I had to ask 4 times for a Manager till a manager finally took my call. In the first 3 times, the agent said "I will get you the manager", put me on hold, then came back and kept talking to me. And the agent repeat what she said till I got really annoyed and asked for a manager 4th time. I will withdraw my deposit and leave HSBC ever.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

If you want to pay to feel like garbage, feel free to join the banking of HSBC. My parents always used them growing up but I hated them. They were well off maybe that is why their review will be different than mine. I co-own a company in Canada and we have an account with HSBC Canada. It is the end of the year a customer in China needs to refund us our money since deal did not go through. We gave them to wiring information, (provided by HSBC) which only included corresponding bank swift code, it is Citibank citius33. They told me, “We don't need Canadian swift code or the address at all.” And that swift code can solve it. Of course, IT didn't it got refunded. Then I called in, the first person was decent, the second guy was the absolutely the most horrendous customer service call I received.

My husband heard me on the phone and asked who was trolling me. I called nicely and explained the situation, all I need to know was: 1) If the beneficiary bank is Citi like as they claimed it to be because it got refunded or does it go through Canadian HSBC, something didn't add up. 2) The client's accountant claimed she can't put Canadian zip code if zip code was absolutely needed. If so, who do I direct to.

I just needed to confirm beneficiary address, swift code, corresponding swift code and address instead I got 15 minutes of condescending tone. This guy not only did not answer yes or no to the question but rather challenged my ability to read instruction that they gave me. I gave that same instruction to the other company and it was rejected. But instead of helping me solve the issue, I had to listen to Regina George dissing my intelligence. Then I asked the second question about zip code, he did not believe it was not possible. So instead of finding a solution, this individual decided to question me why it is not possible. Am I the programmer who worked on wiring system for Bank of China? Or do am I the accountant? Instead of finding a way to help me like his supervisor did later, he decided to question problems on our end with very condescending tone.

We have put millions into this HSBC account and no one pay to be put up with this. I will be moving my account to another bank directly as a result of this incident. When I ask to report the supervisor was not helpful and told me I could only email generic repose. Also on personal account you will be lucky if a live person talk to you and not some call center in India, which I have trouble understanding some of them. Their accents are sometimes worst than the IRS phone call scammers in India. My dead mother's account was treated properly by them too except I never got to talk to a person in Canada.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I opened a savings account with HSBC over three weeks ago and requested to have my husband's name added to the account. As of today, his name has not been added despite repeated requests and follow-ups. I have never dealt with such incompetence; every time I used live chat, I got a different answered. When I calls them, I was promised repeatedly that his name will be added in 2-3 business days. HSBC is the worst experience I have ever had with any banks. Absolutely the WORST!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I opened a credit card account with HSBC last October which was surprising because I was never notified about the status of my application or when I was approved (first red flag with this bank) back then. When I read the terms and conditions, it said that the cash advance pin would be delivered 5-10 business days after the credit card has been received.

10 business days has passed and the said pin was nowhere to be found on my doorstep. I called customer service and was advised that they'll request another pin and I specifically asked to have it delivered to their main branch in BGC so I could just pick it up (since it would be much faster when you pick it up) to get it over with. So, 5 business days has passed and I went to the bank but the rep. told me that option is not available since I do not have a savings account (What?). I called customer service again and was advised that they'll have it delivered again. I waited and even sent an email and called after another 10 business days has passed but my cash advance pin was (which I just need to create an online account) still not delivered. What a load of lazy, untrained customer representatives!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I signed up for a account for HSBC bank for a basic checking account for my payroll. First off it took a entire three weeks to open the account because every time I submitted my info one of the workers would misplace it or my application was handed off to someone who wasn't the original person assisting with opening my account. Finally the account was opened and my payroll posted to the account. The first issue was I reached out to the bank to see how withdraws would work since I have no ATMs in my area. I was told how to go about using a different ATM and also that I had no max I could withdraw in a day. I went to the ATM to withdraw funds to pay my rent and received a response that I had a daily limit of $500. I contacted the bank and was told the previous rep was incorrect and to try to withdraw $500 instead, I questioned if it would matter withdrawing $500 and it being atm fees that would bring me over $500 and was told it was no issue.

I went back to the ATM and lo and behold rejected because of the max I could withdraw. The rep then told me find another way to pay my rent. So I went into a PLS to just use my debit card and get a money order that way but was told my card rejected. I called back to the bank, for the third time, and was told my debit card had a block on it but the department that handles it was closed on a Friday. I was told it would be fine to just do a electronic check from my account to my apartments in order to pay rent, which I did. I was then told Monday morning someone would give me a call in regards to the issue. Monday no call was received so Tuesday I contacted the bank to find out that my account was going through a closure process so my entire account was blocked.

No one would tell me why my account was going through a closure and on top of that was rent was returned to the account and I was told I couldn't access the funds and they would send a check on 7-10 bd from the date that my account was fully closed which could be at the latest Friday. I hadn't even had this account two weeks nor had I had any activity in the account except my payroll so I was puzzled as to why it was being closed. I was told over and over that they could not tell me why they were closing my account and was refused any contact info to file a formal complaint because I now have several past due bills and I can not pay them due to being refused access to my funds.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My debit card was retained by a HSBC ATM when I tried to withdraw cash. I more than 20 minutes to see if it would return my card but it did not. This happened on a Saturday and as I was traveling I was only able to report the matter on the Monday. By that time 6 charges appeared on my card which did not belong to me that amounted to more than 13,000 pesos. The bank later only settled me with 5,000 pesos saying such was their policies for cases like mine. This seems very unfair to me since it was their machine that retained my card. I have tried on many occasions to present my case but they are indifferent to my complaints. Very poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I was told I needed to keep my HSBC Advance account in order to maintain my RRSP's at this bank. I just never bothered to question this and so left $100 in this account. When I received notice that I would get charged a $25 fee/month, I decided to call up HSBC to close the account. I said, "Do I really need to keep this account open in order to maintain my RRSP's?" He did not know but said, "I don't think so..."

The fellow who answers the phone line (604)683-9611 mainly... told me I needed to go into the bank to close the account. I went into the account and one of the tellers (Monday Oct. 23rd, 3:30pm) was chatting with a customer for quite some time even though there was a line-up building. When she saw the line-up, she just looked at me, the first person in line and scowled! Ooohh my bad for bothering her conversation!

When I got help from my teller, he told me he could not close my account because a line of credit was still open that needed to be closed. I had to go home, call up HSBC and close that part. I went home, called the bank again and they were confused but did their part. They said I needed to go back to the bank yet again and close the account. I went back a 2nd time and spoke to the same teller. He was having trouble closing my account so called up his supervisor who helped him close my account. The supervisor certainly treated me as someone who only had $100 in their account. (Even if that were true, that was really not necessary to be judgmental like that.) Then I thought it was finally all good... and that my account was finally closed. But then I received a phone call from HSBC saying I needed to sign some forms right away and fax them back the documents or all agreements were cancelled and I was back to the same drawing board! Wowee!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

HSBC were my startup bank, 4 years ago, as business grew, HSBC worked well. Then a line was crossed. HSBC informed me that our accounts would be limited in weeks time: no money in (get paid) no money out (pay bills), ie, business-ending stuff. Some weakly worded questions were asked by email, responses were given, but not acknowledged. Chasing for status was crazy hard, phone the bank would could 'leave a message' for the Safeguard team. Utter joke. At this point, I was thinking it would all just go away, but as the time to lockdown approached, I had a stark realization: My business bank, HSBC, was the biggest threat to my company.

Mitigation was required, opening new business accounts in other banks (multi-banking), and finally, at the 30 day boundary, a final bank switch to a competitor bank with similar processes but 'people' I would be able to interact with. If you are business with international customers with growing sales, you should be very afraid of HSBC. they are not behind you, you are just a number with a "Risk" attached. Oh, their complaints process? Ha, every which way I complained (phone/email/web), for that, the only thing I got was a nice letter telling me how important the Safeguard process was for *me*. Oh, how I laughed.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I made a wire transfer on Aug 29, 2017 to my personal account in Malaysia with amount 31,252.83 USD, still the amount has not been wired into my personal account as of now Sep. 29, 2017, even I made several complaints against this case. I have conversation with more than 10 HSBC customer officers and all of them promised someone from higher management will give me a call, unfortunately, none of them have been committed their promises. I'm totally dissatisfaction with HSBC, of course, I will terminate my account upon recover my amount from HSBC.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

HSBC Canada internal staff in India illegally completed a transaction in my account, during the period of June 30 to July 18, 2017. I have gotten several different stories, as I have been stressed by the lack of customer service and correcting their own error, HSBC has been waiting for a reply from their department, why they hold my money hostage. I started to inquire about anyone else who may be experiencing the same and found a group of Canadians who are taking action against HSBC. My money and I want it all back!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I banked with HSBC for many years, with a current account and previously a mortgage. In recent years their service became just terrible and with no response whatsoever to complaints. I had various problems: most notably they kept bouncing back inward TT's I made to my account from overseas, from various sources. With no explanation and no follow up. My account went to almost zero as I could not pay money in from overseas! Previously when I had tried to T.T, an amount from my Singapore account to an overseas account, the money was never received by my bank in England.

However my Singapore account remained debited for the T.T, amount in Singapore, and no-one from the bank informed me. It took a lot of effort just to get the debit amount credited again, and to cancel the bank charges they had levied on a non-existent transaction. Going to my branch to try to sort out these problems was a waste of time. You could never see the same person more than once, probably as a matter of policy. Trying to phone them left one in a confusion of extensions from which one just gives up in the end and puts the phone down.

Writing letters was no use, there was no reply to five different letters I wrote. Changing bank accounts after many years was a rather daunting process: so many direct debits to cancel and new ones to make etc. However I finally did it, opened up a current account with a local Singapore bank (UOB) and now life is a breeze. No banking problems, no arrogance from people who refuse to listen to your complaints.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I did the transaction on July 20, 2017 to Webjet for $3466.68, I cancelled on the same day and the amount was on my balance. I reported to the bank about the cancellation on 07/20/2017. Few days later I reported to the bank about the new charge on my credit card for $1155.56 at the same time the bank charge $3166.68, that moment I contacted on 07/ 28/2017 and HSBC they block my card not I was outside of the US and Webjet, they answered that both transaction will cancelled in 3 business days. The cancellation for $3,466.68 was disappeared from my account I was not able to use as evidence.

HSBC said that transaction never exist and Webjet said have to show documentations and HSBC instead to protected me asking me to provide the information to Webjet. I decide to make a complaint to consumer Agency and public on the social media on 08/17/2017 after frustrated conversation with both companies. That I feel the connection between both company. Jennet ** contacted me and sended the copy of the fixed the problem. But today still the same I can’t provide all documentation.

And HSBC AND WEBJET WORKING AS A PARTNER ORGANIZATION AND DON’T FOLLOW THE CUSTOMER SERVICES SUPPORT AS HAPPEN IN United States. From the first day I feel frustrated how the HSBC handle the situation. I feel that they want to makes financial profits, not only with my money with other customer. As economists I know they will fix, but they doing money and I have the charges, losses times and getting sick of this situation. I have all documents by email.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

In June my life insurance policy matured after 10 years. I decided to surrender my policy to get the cash value. I sent off my form early, expecting to get my money in 2 to 3 weeks. Nine weeks later I still have not received anything. In late July the bank after long delays claimed to have sent my money. A week later HSBC USA, the bank through which my money was passing, contacted me through HSBC saying they had not received my wife's details (it was being sent to a joint account) even though I had provided this earlier.

Finally HSBC USA sent it my NZ bank's correspondent bank, BNY Mellon. I contacted BNY Mellon and they told me the funds were being held for review by the OF AS AS. HSBC HK had not provided them with all the necessary details. BNY told me that HSBC HK needed to query them about the payment. I contacted HSBC HK and they told me that they had been trying to do so, but with no luck. I do not believe HSBC HK. I have complained to HKMA. Every time I call HSBC HK I never get an answer. It is a month tomorrow since my money left Hong Kong. I have tried everything.

Original review: June 23, 2017

@HSBC_US worst service ever. I applied through HSBC for Mortgage and it took them over two months to provide me a rejection letter. I had to call them several times to get an update on my account. They kept spamming my email and asking me every two weeks that If I'm still interested in working with them. I emailed my representative Maria ** two times and she did not reply back to my email. I have applied for the mortgage through RBC and I got the pre-approval letter for a mortgage of $650,000 within a week with a rate of 3.87. I will never do any business with HSBC and also please check the reviews of HSBC on another website which shows how bad they treat customers.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I called and got payoff amount for example to make this easy to understand - it was $2000.00. I paid online the amount, yet a month later they auto debited my bank account for some invisible $19.00, only it took what was the original full amount of our payment of $150.00 and we now have to wait up to two weeks for our refund of the $150.00 MINUS the $19.00 fee that by the way cannot be found ANYWHERE online and I have screenshots to prove a ZERO balance as of 5 days ago still which is 17 days AFTER the payoff, yet they took the money last night. This caused us to overdraw our account and now we have negative money for 2 weeks until payday again and all they can do is tell us it takes 14 business days to process our return of a PARTIAL credit. This has got to be illegal! Regardless, bad reviews are coming on every site I can find, email every city and state official and via word of mouth to shut down these loan offices in Virginia.

Original review: May 17, 2017

On dated 15 May 2017, I wrote an email to HSBC and sadly till now no one responding it. Maybe the officer are look down on us as customer. Here are the email I wrote and address the email to Ms Salmah **: Dear Ms Salmah **, During last conversation with you, you did informed me that my card cannot be used and also had been cancelled although I had paid all the outstanding bills. She strongly says that if I wanted to use again I need to re-apply and application may not be approved by the committee. Though I did mentioned to her that I need to use the card badly as I stationed in oversea and she still say NO.

From that onwards - I feel bad and inform my working colleagues and friends what had happened and 2 of friends says to me not to take any service from HSBC as they had faced similiar problem. Recently to my shock, my wife called me and informed me that the HSBC bank are penalty me for not paying outstanding amount (admin fees) SGD $2,75 and now I also need to pay penalty fees. It really ridiculous. HSBC had cancel my card and I not cancel my card. During my last payment I also ask and inform the counter that I need to pay ALL the outstanding debt and now the HSBC bank say I got outstanding bill??? I confused. I demand an explanation. Thank you.

HSBC Company Information