1.01/5

841 HSBC Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I was looking online for a bank that has no fees and pays a good interest rate. I came across HSBC and it looked great. I opened an account online and transferred some savings from my Capital One 360 account. All fine and good. Then I got my weekly check in the mail and decided to deposit it in my HSBC account. No problems there. But then the next day, I went to log on to my account to see if the check had been deposited, but I couldn't log in. It said my credentials were suspended so I called the 800 number to find out what happened. Long story short, after a 20 minute phone call, their company policy is to suspend your account for 5 days when you deposit a check in order for the check to clear and they couldn't give me a reason why.. just that it's their company policy... That makes no sense! This bank is the worst!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I recently opened a new credit card with HSBC. This is my first experience with HSBC. I used checks they provided to transfer balances from other credit cards. Even though I used checks that they sent to my home address to transfer funds from one of my accounts to another one of my accounts, this still apparently triggered a fraud alert. Their fraud prevention department called and left me a message with instructions for a number to call and nine digit number to reference. I returned the call. They put me on hold for 15 minutes and then hung up on me before anyone answered the call. They then apparently put my account on hold so I could not use my card.

I called again over the weekend (because I have a JOB during the week) and no one could help me because the fraud department was closed on the weekends. Seriously???! I arranged for a customer service to call me on Monday at 330 pm EST to resolve this issue. It's currently 11:10 am on Monday morning. HSBC called me at 10am on my cell phone (not on my work phone as requested) and left ANOTHER message asking me to return their call referencing a 9 digit number. As I am typing this I have been on hold for 37 minutes. And this is all to resolve something that NEVER should have been an issue. I will stop banking with them just as soon as I can.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

They offer a bonus for keeping money in account for 90 days and then when you try to collect they say you have to wait another eight weeks. Fraud and terrible dishonest customer service. Save your money and go to a good bank like CIT, Synchrony, etc.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I am manoj **, I opened business bank account with HSBC for my new business content proficiency in November,2018. As i do charge online through the website and the most use of the HSBC account was to transfer money from PayPal and Stripe to the bank account through which customer pays us online through website. Only Few native clients were provided account of HSBC to put the money for the business content writing services, It would be not more than the 3% of the total business. It means that only 3%-5% customers paid directly to the HSBC account and rest I was transferring money from PayPal and Stripe to HSBC. 90% of our customers pay via PayPal and 5% to 8% on stripe.

My business was slowly growing and right in the 6th month when we transferred the highest amount of the business £9000.00 from Paypal, I got the letter on 4rth May, 2018 that my account is in review for £100.00 as the customer complaint on it. Within a week of May,4,2018. my online account access was denied. Fortunately, the same customer had £450.00 on PayPal disputed and we won the case with PayPal as services were all provided and delivered. I sent the copies of work delivered along with the proof of winning the case on PayPal for the same customer in the same week as now all of my PayPal business money was stuck with them for a fraudulent immigrant customer from Pakistan "yet all proves provided" and in the same month only 4 transaction were put directly in to the HSBC, that is not more than £800.00 as i said we 99% take payments via PayPal or stripe.

I thought it's just a complaint of £100.00 on £10000.00 plus pounds in the account and as I have already won the case with paypal and provided them all the proofs, it will be resolved quick. It has all turned nightmare from that day, they said they are reviewing it and will respond, Everyday I call them, they put me on hold for hours and sometimes don't pick up. For three months they said you will get the response in week or two. As my business stopped, I went in to the depression and all loss as this business just went for 6 months, We got no complaints on PayPal and we got 99.99% customer satisfaction. Just one fraudulent customer reached hsbc for £100.00 and they put my 10,000+ pounds sucked.

After 2 and half months they told me after around 100000 calls that the proofs i provided to them are lost and that they want me to send them the proofs via mail. I got all proofs printed, mailed to them with the note that get that £100.00 back to the customer or send me the poison to drink as it's a very very hard earned money. My 99.99% payments are from PayPal transferred to the bank and now I am in the 4th month completion without any resolve to this issue.

Never ever think of use them, I now take medicines of High Blood Pressure and depression as I have not done wrong anyone in my life and I am in debt of £6000.00 now. My business PayPal is fine but as all of money stuck I can't advertise and do business anymore. They hold your money without response and they deal with you as you're a valueless piece on earth for them. It's all happening with me from 4 months. As i am already in debt & begging to give me the status of money from 4 months. I just wanna die, I am tired chasing them and lost all hopes in my life. Please For GOD sake HSBC don't ruin the lives. It's been 4 months, please for God's sake look in to my account. I have provided proofs many many times now, even mailed. Please don't do this with me, I will suicide.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

They say if you open a new account, you'll receive a bonus. I've been waiting past the maximum time and even after several calls to customer service, they tell me someone will reach back out and I never hear from them again after 2 weeks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

DO NOT OPEN ACCOUNT HERE: On July 4th I received a text message that a fraudulent charge tried to post to my account from H&M 0291 for $195.55. I responded to the text message that the charge was not me. A few minutes later I was contacted by a representative that asked the same question. I told him as well that the charge was not me. The rep asked what was the last charge I made. I told him a $20 purchase to Sec a company that I pay on a regular basis. He took my information and stated that I would get a new card and fraud form to complete for the $195.55. I received the form and the charge for $20 was listed as fraud instead with no mention of the $195.55 (I assume because the charge was declined) so I actually should not have gotten a form in my opinion since the charge never went through.

I contacted HSBC and I was assured I could discard the form so I did. I assumed all was well until I did not hear from my son. Upon further investigation I found that my account at Sec had been closed and blocked due to fraud because of the incorrect chargeback from HSBC. I contacted HSBC to request that those funds be returned. I was told that since the account was closed they could not return them and I could use the new card to pay the $20 again. However Sec does not work that way and I can no longer use any card to submit payments to them and the only way to reopen my account is to get an affidavit from HSBC that says I did not submit a request for a chargeback and this was done in error. Once they reopen the account I also have to pay them by MoneyGram/Western Union which means I must leave my home and pay a fee to pay them.

This is the only means of communication that I have with my mentally disabled son and all of the phone numbers (my entire family) connected to my account have been blocked so no one can create a new account. I bought a new phone in an effort to bypass this but because the billing address for all my cards matches that account it was automatically blocked as well. I have made countless calls to the fraud department, customer service, actual HSBC branch locations, tried using chat to get this corrected all to no avail.

I have repeated myself and the situation with every single contact and no one can help me or even seems like they understand what I am requesting due to language barriers. I don't know what to do at this point and no one has taken ownership of this request to get my issue solved. I have not spoken to my son and he is too far away for me to try to visit. He is not well mentally and likely thinks that his family has abandoned him because communication with his entire family is now non existent. I am left with no alternatives. I'd like to receive a response and call to get my issue resolved rather than continuing to be ignored. I have contacted HSBC no less than 35 times to be sent through a never ending cycle of hold and you have to call this department and having to repeat the entire story each time and hope the next person can actually understand me.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I would give them 0 stars, but unfortunately that’s not an option. This bank has no place in Canada and for good reason. I was in the midst of switching all my accounts over but quickly came to the realization that this was a bad idea. Their customer service is horrendous! Don’t try making an appointment at your branch or any branch for that matter because there’s no way to call the branch. Let that sink in for a moment...basically the only way to make appointments with them is to physically walk into a branch and hope they won’t be busy. Luckily both times I walked in to a branch they were practically empty which in itself speaks volumes in terms of their retail banking market share.

The other way to make an appointment is to call their general customer service number, which is just as frustrating. Their call centre appears to be based out of the Philippines which I have no problem with, however it’s extremely frustrating when it takes 5+ minutes to have them authenticate you and they don’t speak English very well. Furthermore, they don’t appear to be trained even the slightest bit. I wanted to see what the fastest and cheapest was to get some USD transferred from my other USD account based in Canada. The agent told me I can send an EMT, which I knew right away was false. I ended up just writing a cheque to myself to transfer the funds but guess what? There is a 3 WEEK hold! Even after I see the funds have cleared my account they still want to continue with the hold.

I ultimately decided to close all my accounts I had just opened because they refused to increase my daily ATM withdrawal limit from the standard $600 even after I met with a customer rep to explain my concerns. I even offered to provide income verification, credit reports and anything else to alleviate any credit concerns they may have, yet they still refused. We all say we hate the big banks but after this short horrendous experience experimenting with HSBC I now realize how amazing the other BIG 5 are. HSBC! Your customer service is non-existent and there’s no way you will succeed in Canada’s competitive retail banking landscape.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Purchased 2 motorcycles with son about 15 years ago. HSBC Nevada financed. Son missed SOME payments and I completely paid off 13 years ago. Never received title nor lien release letters. I sent required documents 2 years ago and still never received requested releases. Spent an hour trying to get someone to assist. Multiple calls yielded one person who gave me 2 numbers which ring unanswered. WILL NEVER BUY ANY PRODUCT THAT USES HSBC FINANCING AGAIN.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Just opened an account in California at one of LA Branch and in four months I got nothing but trouble. At every few thousands dollars wire and transaction they freeze my account to verify the transaction for any potential fraud. I have an active site online and I always buys items from China. I learnt lately that this bank was under world wide investigation for money laundering. Best treatment for this bank is to to sue them for large amount for damaging my business.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I applied twice for a credit card with 0% interest for 18 months.. Both times, I got an email back saying the application process wasn't complete and that I needed to call them. In both cases, they said there was a mistake in my application. I disregarded the first email and was told later that my application was withdrawn because I didn't respond. I reapplied a few months later because the 0% for 18 months was good, The second time I received a call while I was driving asking for personal information. I asked them to email me because I was driving. They sent me an email and I called them. I took the lady about 10 tries to be able to verify the code they sent me.

It was then that she said the problem was in how I spelled my last name. She said I misspelled it. In over 55 years of getting credit, I have never misspelled my name on a credit application. She also sounded like she was in the next room. She also wanted information that was already on the application. Twice being contacted to verify information when applying for a credit card, and especially how I spell my name (a five letter word) was enough for me to stop the process. It also took almost 6 weeks for a reply when most credit card companies reply within 48 hours. This sounds too much like a scam to me. I want nothing to do with this company!

HSBC Company Information