2.85/5

810 HSBC Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

I applied on 4/5/2019, took their initial offer due to 0% for 18mos, then I after I applied I opted out of promotional offers that did soft credit pulls on me. So then I get a email stating they mailed out my card so when I didn’t receive it just yet I called them on a Saturday early morning being told that I then needed to contact their security department after being on hold for over an hour. The representative was of NO HELP! She then transferred me to the security department which was then closed only open m-f 8am to like 11 ET. So then come today (Monday) was on the phone ☎️ with them for a very long hold time.

This time I reached an American representative that was seemingly more helpful then he went on to tell me that they needed a copy of my driver license, utility bill, and me to sign a document for them to go to social security to verify my identity (name and social) which is crazy. I have never heard of such a process as this so upon reading all the terrible reviews I decided I’ll NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM! It’s not worth it. Do your homework before applying/doing business with these people. They acted as if they were giving 30k in credit and the limit they gave me was not even worth it as it wasn’t enough to do a balance transfer anyway.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I used a special HSBC online link that was required to get a $350 bonus on a $10,000 checking deposit, which would be credited about 5 months after making the deposit. Everything went as-expected to do the online setup, up thru the point I had entered the funding bank account info, then it went awry. The next screen asked a yes or no question, but missing from the page was the Continue button. I clicked the Chat button, but the person was unable to help advance my application. In the meantime, the application timed-out.

HSBC had given me an application number, so I was able to get back to the page where the problem occurred, but still no Continue button or any other way to get off the page. After a while, I got a message that the application was canceled. By that time, I was 2 hours into what was supposed to be a 15-min process, per HSBC. Then I got a congratulatory message that my funds transfer was complete. But the process was canceled, I had been told. Another chat, but no good results.

Then three different people, all with noisy backgrounds and heavy Indian accent, on phone calls. I was finally able to get an account number from one of them, and finally able to create a login & PW to see that the money really was there. The third person was able to tell me that my deposit did not qualify for the bonus, probably because I had not completed the application. Duh!

So what the takeaway from this? Run, do not walk, away from HSBC and count your lucky stars that you read this review before, not after, you had wasted a lot of time with this company. FYI, in order to get my money out of HSBC, I had to use my phone, not my computer, to again set up the external transfer bank I had used in the application. Their website would not load the HSBC external bank setup applet when I logged-in thru my computer; my phone was the only way to do that. So... A screwed-up website that results in a link not doing what it's supposed to do, would leave anyone with a sour taste. But when it was doing this with $10,000 of my hard-earned cash was not the way to earn my business. Hopefully, my money is now on its way back to where it came from. Stay away from HSBC.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

This is for your own sanity: Do not open a bank account at HSBC Mexico. I opened it at Cabo San Lucas; however the most unfriendly people are working at San Jose del Cabo Mexico. Completely rude, lazy and difficult. Not only does HSBC make it complicated to open a bank account and get FULL ACCESS to online banking BUT they add more complexity like a "token" and "secure key" for 'more security.' Don't get me wrong. I'm for security but this is nonsense. YES, I am aware that they were sued for their unethical criminal participation in 'money laundering' but again these employees they've hired are incompetent and do not want to work and help out.

1. Cannot obtain FULL ACCESS to my online or phone HSBC app. I can see what is in it, but cannot do anything. No transfers, no adding beneficiaries. NADA.

2. The "activate token" is a complete TIME WASTING complicated idea. The system throws you off and then you have to continually keep trying for hours, days and months. I've been trying for 2 months - on phone, at their Mexico branches. NADA.

3. Fast forward I try to CLOSE the bank account due to its unnecessary issues and problems. In person the bank employee tells me and I kid you not: "I cannot close your bank account. You must use your ATM card and take out 7000 Pesos daily until your bank is empty." And if that is not enough idiocy -- she can't speak English so she desperately brings over a wild guy in his late 30s with tattoos, piercings and craziness over to my account while he can view my account as he looks at it and he tells me in English everything I told you above!!! Is this a joke??? I said to her, "do you know him?"... he got nervous and disappeared after I stared at him. Unbelievable nonsense. MORONS. INCOMPETENCY.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have had bad experience after bad experience with HSBC. Long wait times, unhelpful staff, and minimal information from the company. Most recently, I spent 50 minutes jumping through hoops on a phone call in order to upgrade my advanced account to a premier account. After going through all manner of documentation and verification they then very hastily said: "Well, there is an internal check that says we will not be able to upgrade you today..." and then proceeded to ask if they could describe all of their other account types available. No explanation, no information about what I would need to be able to do in order to open account. Just a blunt statement - "Sorry, it is an internal check and we are not allowed to go into detail..." What a sham. This is not the first time I have spent an hour with this company to be turned away entirely without being served and with no information. Thanks HSBC.

Original review: March 27, 2019

HSBC is a sneaky and unconscionable, Would have given zero points if I could because this is a shady bank that will NOT reflect a recent payment of $2084.57 made to the credit card total balance even though the payment has been cleared on the external checking account used! According to their useless rep it will take 10 days just for the payment to reflect on my credit card balance! This is not common with other American banks, I will never deal with them again and NEITHER should you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: March 22, 2019

Every transaction or operation with this bank requires you to jump through unnecessary hoops and experience frustrating delays. My account was in hibernation due to inactivity, so I go to the branch to unlock it. Even though I was there in person at my branch, they could not unlock my account, and needed to submit a request for head office to do it... Which would take two to three weeks!

In another instance, I was assisting a client transfer funds from a HSBC account to another institution, and they kept on giving us the runaround... First claiming the other institution's forms were insufficient (even though it contained the exact same info as the HSBC form), and required the HSBC form instead. And then they needed to speak with the client before continuing, even though the client had signed off on the form, with a signature guarantee by the dealer. Lastly, my mother needed her T-slips for tax filing, and asked for HSBC to mail a duplicate copy to her, as she had not received it initially. HSBC insisted that she go to the branch in person to fetch them! What bank does that in 2019?

Original review: March 20, 2019

I signed up for this the HSBC cash rewards credit card originally because I was traveling abroad and it didn't have foreign transaction fees. I also understood that it had 0% interest for 12 months but later found out that this was ONLY on balance transfers. I had racked up $200 worth in points but without notice they closed my account without my permission because my automatic payment was not made due to a typo! I was able to book an airline ticket with those points only to find out they had shut down my account. I had tried calling them but they didn't call me back in time before ending things. They were unable to reopen my account and it really took a blow to my credit score. Their customer service was an absolute joke! I will never ever use HSBC again! Horrific and most stressful experience imaginable! I am a good customer with an excellent credit score. Sorry to see that they lost a good customer for life. They need to get their ** together!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I've been a victim of a huge fraud syndicate who uses HSBC as their bank. This means that HSBC harbor criminals/fraudsters as surely before a person opens up a bank account, the bank HSBC, must do a background check on so called person! I've paid $3200 into HSBC Walnut branch account in February from South Africa whereas only after funds left, I realized I got scammed. Since then, my bank and I tried numerous times to contact HSBC as to reverse my funds. Today is 15 March 19, and we are yet to receive any feedback from HSBC US. This means that HSBC as well as these criminals are working together to steal peoples funds. There's no e-mail contact anywhere. How do they expect a person from SA to contact them? I send e mail to the UK, and all they could say was that they don't work with fraud and can't help. HSBC YOU ARE USELESS AND YOU HELP STOLE MY FUNDS AS YOU HARBOR CRIMINALS.

Original review: March 14, 2019

DO NOT BUY INTO THIS BANK!!!! IT IS A SCAM!!!! I received a mailer with the bonus $375 offer. In order to get the offer, please read the fine print and do everything!!! 1. Take the mailer in person to the branch. Open the Checking Advance account with $10,000. You will go through a very long "verification" process. 2. Keep the funds in the checking account for 90 days or, if you really want to maximize this, open the online savings at home for the online rate of 2.22%. 3. In a total of 5 months, you will receive the bank bonus of $375.

Simple....you would think but it is quickly proving to be a nightmare for me. I walked in the deposit, took the mailer in person. They opened up the checking no problem, but the savings got declined because they could not "verify" me even though I had physically brought in all my credentials to make it easy for them to walk me through this process. You cannot open this account in the branch but you have to do the savings online application at home. I thought this was easy, but it is not. After getting declined, I tried at home to do this on Saturday. My account application was pended. I called to find out why. They told me that I would have to link an external bank to do micro deposits in order to "verify" my account and if I was able to verify this, then my account would be funded. I promptly did this on Monday. It told me "thank you for verifying", then the message was that my account would still be in process of verification and review.

I called them again. They transferred me to the fraud/security department and advised me that I would need EVEN more information like a driver's license to prove who I was and to be considered the "right" customer, really?!!!! So, I asked the rep in that department to email me so that I could scan and email them my license. After that was done in the same day, about 2 days ago, my account is still "under review".

I called them again today, 3/14/19, the phone system states that the hold time is an indeterminate amount of time and that applications are still in pending status and that there is a high volume of applications being reviewed and may take an additional 10 days. NONE of the other major banks have such an intrusive, invasion of privacy, inconvenient, time consuming, type of hoop jumping that you have to go through with this bank!!! I am nervously still awaiting my application and I expect that even though I did everything requested on a timely basis, they're going to turn my application down for some ** reason. Most likely they will not give me my bonus in August 4, 2019. This is not a bank but a regime. SO VERY DISAPPOINTED, ANGRY, UPSET, ETC...

Original review: March 13, 2019

In Sept. of 2018, I took an advantage of an offer from HSBC in which I would be entitled to a $350 bonus offer if I deposited and maintained a balance of $10,000 for 90 days. I followed the rules immediately and completely. As of today 3/12/18, I closed my account with a balance of $10,000 and 45 CENTS. I spoke to reps on the phones numerous times in the last week battling to get my bonus offer. Their reasoning was that I did not open the account properly online, so they disapproved the offer. My money basically sat in their bank for 6 months to collect 45 CENTS in interest. WOW!! I was robbed of the $350 bonus offer!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS with HSBC BANK!!! They will not follow through with their offers!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I already have a checking account with them so I thought it would be easy to open a direct savings account also. Wasted so much time. Every helper said different things. After trying 10 times someone at the bank suggested I use a driving license from 5 years ago in NY. At that point I gave up. I am a USA citizen and live in AZ and have my own business and make 500K a year. This is not a bank.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I am an expat. I live in Australia and have HSBC accounts in both countries. HSBC UK have frozen my accounts (which still have funds in them). After spending hours on the phone to them several evenings in the last week they will still not unfreeze them. Their red tape is wrapped up in red tape. The advisors are not knowledgeable enough to suggest anything that may help resolve the simple issues. The solutions suggested fall upon deaf ears and a lack of interest to help elsewhere. Truly awful customer experience and desire to help people displayed by this institution.

Original review: March 5, 2019

These morons place a fraud alert on my card on a Friday. Immediately I called customer service and the first moron tells me I have to call Monday to Friday as their fraud dept is closed now and also on on Sat/Sun. I tried chat with moron #2 in India - same scripted call. I called them on Monday at 5.10 pm and the third moron tells me to call between 9 am and 5 pm. I called 8.20 am Tuesday morning and waste time with 3 more morons - just to close my account. Finally after 45 minutes they say OK ACCOUNT IS CLOSED. You may think PHEW! PROBLEM SOLVED! WAIT NOT SO FAST. 5 days later they send me a new credit card - which I will not activate. My question is - who is the idiot running this bank? How is it possible so many idiots in one place?

Original review: March 2, 2019

Are you kidding me??? They have my private information??? Where DID they get it??? Not from me??? Phoning me day and night with salespeople speaking Chinese?? I am in Canada in my private home and I have intruders calling me that are calling themselves "a bank"??? This is not a reputable bank. They have stolen my information from me through scammers. Invaded my privacy!!! If I want your credit card I can apply and after this giant violation of trust...not a chance!!! Not now... Not later... Not ever!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

In short; My card was no longer working after having it only about a month and a half. I contacted HSBC via their Live Chat. I was told at least twice that the card and account were fine and the account was in good standing. I figured the issue must be that I hadn't setup the online access yet so I informed the agent on Live Chat that I would do that right away and I did. To my surprise no account info showed up after I went through the long and repetitive setup process. Nothing about my credit card was there. Literally two days later my statement shows up in the mail and states that my card was closed and past due by over thirty days. I was shocked.

Even though I get regular emails from HSBC, NONE said anything about past due status. All my other cards are setup for autopay. I go back to live chat and am referred to HSBC collections. I call them and explain that I just checked the status and what the agent had just told me two days prior. It didn't matter to them. I was more than happy to pay the small past due amount then and there to avoid any further issues with my account. They said I could pay but the account could and I quote "Never, never ever be reopened". They slyly suggested that I reapply for another card but I realized this would be a complete waste of time as they had already dinged my credit report for the small amount (less than $100).

How can one hand not know what the other is doing at a bank? Why so inflexible and anti customer? They could have allowed the payment to correct the account. Never had such an issue with any other American Bank CCs. Obviously my credit was good enough to get their card in the first place. What gives? Just poor business practices.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

It sums it up to the bank is a scam. Steals your money if you don’t pay attention to your account. I deposit my check into my account on Friday 15th 2019. Back on December someone used my card to get a hotel. I contacted the bank to notify them about the change on my account. They close the card and send me another one in like 5-6 days. They gave me a credit for the 155.68. Now on February 15th they took back from my account. To top it off I never got my check money I deposited in my account. I’m so frustrated with this bank.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

A female named Pinky from Bangalore it seems. I can't believe such stupid dumb females are working with HSBC call center UK. There's a confusion about my card number and suddenly she is saying about herself like am Pinky and from Bangalore. Why the ** should I know about her birthplace? She should be solving my problem. I hope she comes out of her mental illness soon. Illiterate **.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Only way to contact them is phone or online customer service, or visit branch. Customer service is a joke. Okay to use call center in India but damn, someone should train them first. If their only solution is to visit branch and nearest branch is 10 hours away you have a problem. Tried dealing with them for two days, part of my life I will never get back, along with the $50 paid to my bank to stop their stupidity...

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Opened an account online and I was planning to deposit $20,000 in a savings account. I am a current customer with an active credit card. After 3 days of email verification, completing ACH transaction verification, it took them 4 days to send me an email asking me to call them. On the phone they asked me to send copy of my ID and proof of address. I have been at that address for 25 years and the same address is on an existing account with them. I understand protocols to combat ID theft, but this was absurd policy for an existing customer with the exact same info. They gave me a credit card without any verification and now they ask for verification when I am putting money in that bank. Also they don't accept Driver's License as the proof of address. I have opened account online which was completed in minutes. All I can say is "Stupid" management. I apologize for the language but it is the fact.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

OMG! I thought I was the only one having so many issues with this bank, they are just no good for any business. I saw a lot of branches in Hongkong and found out that they are everywhere in China, I import from China and Korea to the United States and even though there are no branches near my house or businesses I decided to open one business account in Tyson's corner Virginia, I filled out forms and been told that it takes some days to open it, I said I open a lot of business accounts in the past and it took only 30 to 50 minutes to do it, but I agreed.

After three months, yes three months, I was able to make deposits and wire transfers with it, but after all this, problem after problem, I have very bad experiences every time I need something with the bank. It looks good for a business if they have a long bank history so I am TRYING to keep my account open. If these people don't make drastic changes, I do not think they will succeed in the United States. If you want to open a bank account, do it elsewhere, believe me.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I opened a business savings account based on interest rates. I was personally visited by a HSBC representative to complete a multi page application which took 2 days complete. This was odd and should have been a clear indication there will likely be a problem. I was unable to gain access online until I received a pod that I needed to receive an access code. Without having the pod, I was unable to gain access to my account. Deposits could only be made by check or wire; not by funds transfer. I am still awaiting my 1099 which apparently takes several weeks to generate and must be mailed. This bank seems unaware of US law. After 2 months of the agony, I closed the account which must be done at one of their branches and took over 1 hour to complete. I presume similar experience for personal accounts since there was someone at the bank at the same time I was present closing her account. DO NOT use this bank.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been locked out of my HSBC Checking account for almost as long as I have it (a little over 3 months). Cannot access it either online or at ATM. And cannot get help anywhere. I called at least 10 times to HSBC customer service. They say that they need to transfer me to HSBC fraud dept and every time after endless wait on the line I just hang up with nothing. I went to the Branch several times and they told me they cannot do anything without me talking to fraud dept. Gave me another number to call. The same result - no answer due to "unusually high call volume"... This is crazy! Who can help me with this nightmare? Btw, I found lots of reviews online with similar issues and complains about HSBC...

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have had an HSBC account for almost 3 months. I was locked out and had money I needed to use and was unable to use that money. Since I couldn't get a hold of anyone at HSBC during my lockout, I called Wells Fargo (where the funds came from) and told them HSBC is a fraud and to cancel that transaction. This was at a time I needed that money immediately with an investment deal.

Now I am still trying to gain access! I have tried now for a month straight and nobody anywhere can help me, including the online chat, HSBC customer support email, every department on the 1800 number and even Twitter! HSBC's customer service is in a loop of responses. I am now trying to find top executives emails and phone numbers until I can solve this as no one at a lower level can help me. I have started a BBB report on this. I live in Houston Texas so I can't walk into a branch! (I was actually told by a customer service representative to buy a ticket to New York and visit a branch to get this resolved!)

I need to send HSBC the money back from my Wells Fargo account. I need my account number at HSBC to send them the money. Nobody will give me my account number as I thought I closed it during the second time my account was frozen so I threw everything away (they even forgot to send me my new checks when I opened my account). Since I don't have the account number I can't make the transfer which keeps my account under review and locked. I've even tried ordering a statement or new checks and the customer service representative told me they can't. Even though that was HSBC's fraud departments solution.\\ This is just a little snippet of what I've gone through with them!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

In October 2018, we received an offer to open an account with a balance of $10,000 and maintain the same amount for 90 days then you'll get a $400 cash bonus. After 90 days, I called and was told that the $400 will take about 8 weeks after the 90 days for me to get it. After reading many posts about the same problems, I'm thinking of taking my money and run instead of wait another 8 weeks.

It's true that setting up the account online was problematic. I went to the branch and their customer service was beyond rude. The 1st time we went, they said the system was down so they couldn't open the account for us, come back another time. The 2nd time we went, they said we should've made an appointment. We made the appointment with a representative and when we showed up, we were told by the rep that she was leaving for the day in 10 minutes and setting up the account takes about an hour!!! We should've walked away then but my husband told me to be patient. Anyway, we opened the account and funded right there. More than 90 days have gone by and I better NOT listen to my man this time and just take the money and run!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Bank associate at Chinatown HSBC bank refused to open an account for because I look too fat in my DMV photo so I asked for the branch supervisor who asked me “why did you come here - you should go to the bank where you live”.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Terrible bank. Avoid at all costs. They sent me an email flyer offering a $200 account bonus after depositing and maintaining a $1,500 balance. I met every term and condition, and they have continued to drag their feet without honoring the agreement for six months. I'll have to file a dispute with the CFPB and BBB likely, but the customer service and leadership at HSBC are the worst in all of banking. Do yourself a favor and run the other way.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

First, I was declined because they couldn't verify my identity. Then, they did and it took 3,000 thousand screens and 10,000 separate validations. I'm putting in 10K to get the 350 bonus and I am GONE. I thought of using them as my travel bank, but they really truly suck. God only knows if I can get back my 10K, much less the bonus, in 90 days.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I accidentally applied for the HSBC Gold MasterCard instead of the HSBC Cash Rewards MasterCard and it took me forever to get a hold of them to cancel my Gold MasterCard account, and when I finally did, I was told the card would be taken off my account in a few days. It's been over a month and the dormant card is still sitting there. I didn't even get an email confirming they closed my account or anything. I only got the card because of the no foreign transaction fee. Their interface is SUPER un-user-friendly. It took me a good five minutes to figure out how to check my credit card account in the app and a good minute to figure out how to pay my bills online.

I'm not a huge tech person, but I know how to use enough about technology to get by. I tried contacting customer service for a dispute and couldn't get a hold of them after trying twice and holding for more than 20 minutes each, so I just gave up. I tried contacting them online and it just a few dollars so I didn't want to even try anymore. Seriously thinking of cancelling my credit card and waiting a few months to apply for a new card with better overall service.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Worst customer service. Only they collect your personal information. Never make deal with them. It's nonsense. The bank checks your personal information even more than 2 mounts and try avoid to open your account, especially on-line.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I opened my online HSBC bank account in mid-October. They approved my account and withdrew initial deposit from my another bank account to deposit in my HSBC account. After two days of opening the account, they blocked my account and I cannot withdraw or deposit in and out of the account now. First they told me to go to branch to verify myself, which I did, still blockage not lifted. Then they told me I will receive a check of my initial deposit at my home address but it's almost 3 months now and no check. My account is still open, blockage is still there and I cannot do anything to get my initial deposit back. IT IS JUST A BIG NIGHTMARE. They can not even tell me the reason they will not correct the situation. I have several other bank accounts with other prominent bank, but I have no problem like this. Just do not know what are my options now.

HSBC Company Information