1.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

795 HSBC Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

It sums it up to the bank is a scam. Steals your money if you don’t pay attention to your account. I deposit my check into my account on Friday 15th 2019. Back on December someone used my card to get a hotel. I contacted the bank to notify them about the change on my account. They close the card and send me another one in like 5-6 days. They gave me a credit for the 155.68. Now on February 15th they took back from my account. To top it off I never got my check money I deposited in my account. I’m so frustrated with this bank.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

A female named Pinky from Bangalore it seems. I can't believe such stupid dumb females are working with HSBC call center UK. There's a confusion about my card number and suddenly she is saying about herself like am Pinky and from Bangalore. Why the ** should I know about her birthplace? She should be solving my problem. I hope she comes out of her mental illness soon. Illiterate **.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Only way to contact them is phone or online customer service, or visit branch. Customer service is a joke. Okay to use call center in India but damn, someone should train them first. If their only solution is to visit branch and nearest branch is 10 hours away you have a problem. Tried dealing with them for two days, part of my life I will never get back, along with the $50 paid to my bank to stop their stupidity...

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Opened an account online and I was planning to deposit $20,000 in a savings account. I am a current customer with an active credit card. After 3 days of email verification, completing ACH transaction verification, it took them 4 days to send me an email asking me to call them. On the phone they asked me to send copy of my ID and proof of address. I have been at that address for 25 years and the same address is on an existing account with them. I understand protocols to combat ID theft, but this was absurd policy for an existing customer with the exact same info. They gave me a credit card without any verification and now they ask for verification when I am putting money in that bank. Also they don't accept Driver's License as the proof of address. I have opened account online which was completed in minutes. All I can say is "Stupid" management. I apologize for the language but it is the fact.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

OMG! I thought I was the only one having so many issues with this bank, they are just no good for any business. I saw a lot of branches in Hongkong and found out that they are everywhere in China, I import from China and Korea to the United States and even though there are no branches near my house or businesses I decided to open one business account in Tyson's corner Virginia, I filled out forms and been told that it takes some days to open it, I said I open a lot of business accounts in the past and it took only 30 to 50 minutes to do it, but I agreed.

After three months, yes three months, I was able to make deposits and wire transfers with it, but after all this, problem after problem, I have very bad experiences every time I need something with the bank. It looks good for a business if they have a long bank history so I am TRYING to keep my account open. If these people don't make drastic changes, I do not think they will succeed in the United States. If you want to open a bank account, do it elsewhere, believe me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I opened a business savings account based on interest rates. I was personally visited by a HSBC representative to complete a multi page application which took 2 days complete. This was odd and should have been a clear indication there will likely be a problem. I was unable to gain access online until I received a pod that I needed to receive an access code. Without having the pod, I was unable to gain access to my account. Deposits could only be made by check or wire; not by funds transfer. I am still awaiting my 1099 which apparently takes several weeks to generate and must be mailed. This bank seems unaware of US law. After 2 months of the agony, I closed the account which must be done at one of their branches and took over 1 hour to complete. I presume similar experience for personal accounts since there was someone at the bank at the same time I was present closing her account. DO NOT use this bank.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been locked out of my HSBC Checking account for almost as long as I have it (a little over 3 months). Cannot access it either online or at ATM. And cannot get help anywhere. I called at least 10 times to HSBC customer service. They say that they need to transfer me to HSBC fraud dept and every time after endless wait on the line I just hang up with nothing. I went to the Branch several times and they told me they cannot do anything without me talking to fraud dept. Gave me another number to call. The same result - no answer due to "unusually high call volume"... This is crazy! Who can help me with this nightmare? Btw, I found lots of reviews online with similar issues and complains about HSBC...

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have had an HSBC account for almost 3 months. I was locked out and had money I needed to use and was unable to use that money. Since I couldn't get a hold of anyone at HSBC during my lockout, I called Wells Fargo (where the funds came from) and told them HSBC is a fraud and to cancel that transaction. This was at a time I needed that money immediately with an investment deal.

Now I am still trying to gain access! I have tried now for a month straight and nobody anywhere can help me, including the online chat, HSBC customer support email, every department on the 1800 number and even Twitter! HSBC's customer service is in a loop of responses. I am now trying to find top executives emails and phone numbers until I can solve this as no one at a lower level can help me. I have started a BBB report on this. I live in Houston Texas so I can't walk into a branch! (I was actually told by a customer service representative to buy a ticket to New York and visit a branch to get this resolved!)

I need to send HSBC the money back from my Wells Fargo account. I need my account number at HSBC to send them the money. Nobody will give me my account number as I thought I closed it during the second time my account was frozen so I threw everything away (they even forgot to send me my new checks when I opened my account). Since I don't have the account number I can't make the transfer which keeps my account under review and locked. I've even tried ordering a statement or new checks and the customer service representative told me they can't. Even though that was HSBC's fraud departments solution.\\ This is just a little snippet of what I've gone through with them!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

In October 2018, we received an offer to open an account with a balance of $10,000 and maintain the same amount for 90 days then you'll get a $400 cash bonus. After 90 days, I called and was told that the $400 will take about 8 weeks after the 90 days for me to get it. After reading many posts about the same problems, I'm thinking of taking my money and run instead of wait another 8 weeks.

It's true that setting up the account online was problematic. I went to the branch and their customer service was beyond rude. The 1st time we went, they said the system was down so they couldn't open the account for us, come back another time. The 2nd time we went, they said we should've made an appointment. We made the appointment with a representative and when we showed up, we were told by the rep that she was leaving for the day in 10 minutes and setting up the account takes about an hour!!! We should've walked away then but my husband told me to be patient. Anyway, we opened the account and funded right there. More than 90 days have gone by and I better NOT listen to my man this time and just take the money and run!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Bank associate at Chinatown HSBC bank refused to open an account for because I look too fat in my DMV photo so I asked for the branch supervisor who asked me “why did you come here - you should go to the bank where you live”.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Terrible bank. Avoid at all costs. They sent me an email flyer offering a $200 account bonus after depositing and maintaining a $1,500 balance. I met every term and condition, and they have continued to drag their feet without honoring the agreement for six months. I'll have to file a dispute with the CFPB and BBB likely, but the customer service and leadership at HSBC are the worst in all of banking. Do yourself a favor and run the other way.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

First, I was declined because they couldn't verify my identity. Then, they did and it took 3,000 thousand screens and 10,000 separate validations. I'm putting in 10K to get the 350 bonus and I am GONE. I thought of using them as my travel bank, but they really truly suck. God only knows if I can get back my 10K, much less the bonus, in 90 days.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I accidentally applied for the HSBC Gold MasterCard instead of the HSBC Cash Rewards MasterCard and it took me forever to get a hold of them to cancel my Gold MasterCard account, and when I finally did, I was told the card would be taken off my account in a few days. It's been over a month and the dormant card is still sitting there. I didn't even get an email confirming they closed my account or anything. I only got the card because of the no foreign transaction fee. Their interface is SUPER un-user-friendly. It took me a good five minutes to figure out how to check my credit card account in the app and a good minute to figure out how to pay my bills online.

I'm not a huge tech person, but I know how to use enough about technology to get by. I tried contacting customer service for a dispute and couldn't get a hold of them after trying twice and holding for more than 20 minutes each, so I just gave up. I tried contacting them online and it just a few dollars so I didn't want to even try anymore. Seriously thinking of cancelling my credit card and waiting a few months to apply for a new card with better overall service.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Worst customer service. Only they collect your personal information. Never make deal with them. It's nonsense. The bank checks your personal information even more than 2 mounts and try avoid to open your account, especially on-line.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I opened my online HSBC bank account in mid-October. They approved my account and withdrew initial deposit from my another bank account to deposit in my HSBC account. After two days of opening the account, they blocked my account and I cannot withdraw or deposit in and out of the account now. First they told me to go to branch to verify myself, which I did, still blockage not lifted. Then they told me I will receive a check of my initial deposit at my home address but it's almost 3 months now and no check. My account is still open, blockage is still there and I cannot do anything to get my initial deposit back. IT IS JUST A BIG NIGHTMARE. They can not even tell me the reason they will not correct the situation. I have several other bank accounts with other prominent bank, but I have no problem like this. Just do not know what are my options now.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I had the EXACT same situation like "Pam of Denver, CO" who reviewed them on Jan. 4, 2019. I got a new HSBC card recently. Activated it online and by phone, then tried to use it and I couldn't. I called "customer service" 12 times and spent on the phone about 3 hours. Results? NONE!!! I cannot name it customer service, because there is NONE. People who work for HSBC are in India, some of them were really rude.

HSBC is based in the UK, they did have some very serious problems lately (read about it) and I think they lure people (like me) to apply for a card with some bonuses to NEVER actually allow us to use these cards. Why? I think they're collecting all data, like SS#, incomes etc., for unknown (at least for now) reasons. I 100% agree with "Pam of Denver, CO" who posted her review earlier. This company is AWFUL!!! I will share my experience with them to all of my friends in order to protect them from HSBC. I am closing my account and will never use any of their "service".

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I tried to buy an iPhone using my credit card and the transaction was decline. I call the customer service and they told me that my credit card was flag due to the high price item and my card is new. She told me I have to talk to security and fraud department. She transfer me to security and fraud department but this department deal only with stolen card. She transfer me to specialist security department which I been put on hold for a long while. I tried to wait one hours a day before I hang up and tried another day. I unable to call at night because they work until 5 pm Eastern time. It's been 3 days now. Hopefully I be lucky next time.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I just got a new HSBC card. Activated it, then tried to use it and I couldn't. I called customer service and was put on hold for 2 hours!!! When I finally got someone I was told that a security hold was put on the card!! I was told the reason was there was fraud on my card??? I tried to go online and was told they couldn't help me! I called customer service again and was put on hold for another hour!!! I told the customer service rep that I wanted to close my account because your company said there was fraud on my card and I haven't even used the card. They told me sorry they can't help me. I would need to contact security and they have gone home. I have NEVER encountered a credit card company like this!!! They are AWFUL!!! I am closing my account and never using one of their cards!! I should have read all the really bad reviews online before applying for this card. No matter how good the offer is DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I was attracted with all the bonus, this is one of the worst bank and 0-100 customers service rep. I bought a Money Order and deposit to my account, it was held for fraud, this has been on for weeks now. Don't bank with HSBC. Forget the bonus and run.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I opened an advanced checking account with HSBC because of a $350 promotional offer. No amount of bonus has been worth the aggravation I've had with HSBC. I frequently shop for offers and open and close accounts regularly, without any problems. HSBC has been terrible. Just opening the account and then funding the account was not user friendly and took appx. one week. After my promotion ended I waited the 6-8 weeks for the bonus to post, which it never did.

Every time I call the service representatives they ask how I opened the account, through the website or a promotion web link. Why would that matter? There was nothing in the fine print that stated which link needed to be used. I am filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). Hopefully, I will have better success there. In the meantime, my initial deposit is locked into the checking account, and if I withdraw the funds or close the account then I will not receive my bonus. I would never recommend this bank in a million years.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I make monthly deposits for my sister at the HSBC Del Amo branch and daily deposits with other banks relating to work. This is the ONLY bank I go to that give me such awful service almost everytime. The tellers are lazy, work in a slow-motion manner, not friendly and compared to other tellers at other banks seem like they don't even know what they are doing. You never see the same teller either, which is a good thing I guess. Maybe HSBC should invest in some enthusiastic employees who actually like coming to work and dealing with people.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

For 2 months have had "block restriction on account". I live in Philippines; account is in Canada and it has $250,000; no access to funds. Numerous emails futile. Issue called "sensitive" by bank (I hear violins playing). Asked my lawyer to look into it. Logic dictates this is an internal bank problem. I believe HSBC is afraid of further collapse if funds are moved out. Enquiry into reason for restriction always gets a runaround, no answer. HSBC must be in financial crisis. I consider HSBC to be a virtual criminal organization now. They were OK for years. Jewish gods please forgive me, but I feel like a Jew in WW2 ** Germany. Ominous situation. No interest in whether my wife and I may be needing some of the money that HSBC is no doubt using to try and "save themselves"; this probable effort has to only add bad karma to the huge load of bad karma HSBC clearly has.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

When I was in last year IESL Conference, there were an HSBC hut, saying annum free platinum credit card for Engineers. I took the services and obtained a Credit card. They said that we can obtain 0% interest free loan from them for the first month after querying the card. Since I wanted to do some private investment, I asked the number of dates taken to proceed the loan facility. They told me that within 4 working days it will be arranged. And a check will be prepared and sent to me by post. I did not receive any call from HSBC after that on my loan and the check is not received. Then I called them and ask the reason. They told me that it is not prepared yet.

I waited another week and call them back, then they told me to wait couple of days. Again I called them again after some days. They told me that they have posted it and I should be received by now. Until today I did not miss any mail coming to my office under my name. So I again called and asked for the updates. They told me to deliver a note to the nearest bank and submit the form. The bank assistant gave me the phone and ask me to take the call form a lady, from card center. She promised me to call within one or two days. After one week Since I did not receive any call, I called them back and ask to resolve it within three days or I will terminate the loan I requested.

Meanwhile the monthly amount Rs. 8333.33 was debited from my card. I pointed out that I was not received any money and got the confirmation form two customer service officers that I might not be paid and late payment and the amount will be reverted. I had lot of calls with HSBC customer service center. For each call at least it took 10 mins. The cost is around Rs. 600. Every time they say that the will arrange a call by that day itself and it was not. Only call I got from the officers are reminders to clean above balance (around four times).

Since they are not releasing the money, I decided to cancel my loan request. They told me that I will be subjected to a cancellation fee. I emphasized that I am not willing not pay for any, because it is their ignorance. They told me that all it will be reverted within three days. Still I am getting messages and calls for remind me the balance in my credit card. Today I again called. Now they say that I must pay 4846 (cancellation fee + Late payment fee + interest in that). They continuously ignored my requests up to the due date and now all late payments were added. After my query, they told that all will be reverted. But I must pay this now. Next month It will be credited back again. I have no confident whether this amount will be deposited back under above condition. If it is reverted, I am not confident enough to receive services from you.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My account got Scammed by international fraud group. I called HSBC fraud department, waited 2 hours the phone finally connected, they didn't even give me the Case # or taking seriously, I told them I have police report and FTC report, she said, "We can recall the money but not Guarantee, it will take 3 weeks." I called again waited another 2 hours after a week, try to find what is the status of the recall, a lady answered phone, she said, "You have to contact other side of bank to find out where is your money." I said, "This was the fraud case, it was scammed, how can I can contact other side of bank? My money was out from my account in your bank."

I went to branch, want to talk to manager, the manager name is Jose, he didn't even bother to take look my account. He said, "It was fraud, we can't do anything about, you can't get your money back." What kind bank this is? I can't believed they have this kind services. I opened account with them, because they called me, they said, "If you open account with us, we will give you $100 bonus," for $100 then I lost everything. I have heard some banker works with scammers, fraud customer's accounts.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I just opened checking account and credit card with this Bank. For no reason, they blocked my credit card so to contact them, I was literally on hold 3 hrs on the phone listening to a boring music, their outsourced customer service from India doesn't know anything so they keep transferring me around. I tried their online chat but they are not help either, they provided the phone number that doesn't get you a live person. So I don't know how to get in touch with this bank customer service? My credit card still blocked. I was wondering, what will happen if someone loses their card and wanted to freeze it?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I opened a checking account online in November 2018, and transferred $1,500 on 11/19. In December HSBC blocked my account without a notice and for no reason. Online chat agents advised using a different browser when I complained about impossibility to do online banking. Only one mentioned that my account is blocked and I have to call Security Team without providing the details and time frame. I called them last two weeks every day, and a line is always busy. I don’t an access to my money, the online agents are not helpful, all my emails and letters are ignored. Would not recommend anyone to deal with HSBC!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I transferred $22,000.00 US Dollars from my PNB account in the Philippines to my US Dollar account at HSBC Langley BC Branch. I received only $20,989.00 US Dollars into the account. HSBC kept $1,000.00+ of the funds transferred in addition to their $15.00 Fee. They have continued to tell me that the 'Intermediate Bank' determines what currency they transfer your funds in and that the 'Intermediate Bank' chose to convert my $22,000 US Dollars into Canadian Dollars and that HSBC then converted the Canadian Dollars back to US Dollars and that is the reason for the shortfall of my funds. They have not been willing to assist me in getting back my $1,000+ and they cannot explain why when I did an identical transfer of $25,000 US from both the same accounts that I received the full amount yet this year they have shorted me the $1,000 +.

Has anybody else had a similar problem with currency transfers thru HSBC? If so how was it resolved? To date not one employee of HSBC that I have contacted has said, "This is a mistake on the bank's part, you're our Customer, we will assist you to get back the shortfall of your funds, we are here to help make certain that you are a satisfied customer." It is a sad and neglectful attitude that the HSBC employees have towards customers, they certainly do NOT understand what "Customer Service" is. DO NOT BANK WITH HSBC.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

HSBC sets a New Standard for World Class Service - the LOWEST POSSIBLE STANDARD! I wanted to open an HSBC Advance Checking account and associated HSBC Direct Savings account. HSBC offered a promotion of $350 bonus for opening the account and funding with $10K+ CHECKING HASSLE: Opening the checking online was a hassle to begin with as the application timed out and I had to restart - this due to the time it took to review the various policies and disclaimers. Completed the application finally and they got back to me by email accepting (allowing me to open an account) with a couple of codes. It turned out that since I don't use a smartphone, they had to send me two letters, each with a code, to open my online access to the account.

Finally getting the codes, I got online access and then went to work on funding. I submitted my external bank account information for funding. The trial deposits were made quickly. When I went back in to verify the account, I couldn't find a place to do it. The online CHAT was useless - they didn't have any clue of how to do it and kept misdirecting me to other pages which proved useless. I did finally find out how to VERIFY by searching every option on the website. I scheduled a transfer - deposit.

I also wanted to open the HSBC Direct Savings account. I can't be opened from the HSBC Access Checking. I had to go to another website to open it (as instructed per CHAT). When opening it, I had to do a new application - it couldn't reference my already opened and approved account. Once I completed the application, they informed me it would take AT LEAST 5-10 BUSINESS DAYS to just approve the savings account. They also required information and deposit transfer information for funding ($10K). After a couple of days waiting to hear anything, further contact with the bank proved that no one person can really answer much of anything - they had to keep transferring me around. CHAT was pretty much useless - with the added blessing of usually having a fairly long waiting period. PHONE had long waits, too and was a little more useful...

I finally got frustrated with the wasted time and convoluted process and had them cancel the Savings Application and am currently in the process of trying to get my $$$ out of the Checking account. I have opened a lot of bank accounts. I have a couple of other high interest savings and money market accounts. All were no hassle and great customer service. Apparently HSBC is trying to break into consumer banking in America. But, trying to do it with TERRIBLE SERVICE isn't likely to serve them very well. They can keep the $350 bonus! I just want to put this bad experience behind.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I opened an account. I was "automatically" declined twice because they could not verify my identity? No further guidance? I think it was because I needed to unlock my credit report. Third time worked. Once the account was opened, I linked to an external account to ACH transfer in funds. They said the link was established. Then the transfer (initiated by HSBC) was declined by HSBC when it arrived. Further, my login credentials are now declined. I called and they asked me to fax(!) them a statement from the external bank showing how it was titled and the account number. I did that. It is now days later, and hours of being on hold, or on 'chat' where all they can do is give me a central phone number to call. In summary, I have been trying to open and fund an account for 26 days. Hard to contact then and no progress when I do. Not worth it. There are plenty of (nearly all) better places to bank.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I wanted to send $ to someone in the Philippines who had an HSBC acct. I went to a branch here to ask how to do it - they gave me all the info they said I needed. I went to send the $ and THEN they told me I needed to have an acct. with them. I went to another branch to open an acct. Was told they had an acct if I kept $5000 in I could get a $300 new acct bonus. I was the ONLY customer in that branch at that time - but no one could open an acct for me. I had to phone to set up an appt. I tried to phone 3 times - could never speak to anyone. Today I went back to try to open it - yes, someone might be available - but that new acct promotion ended last Fri. I did NOT open an acct, and I will not. No wonder this bank has the terrible rating it does.

HSBC Company Information