3.6/5 (514 ratings)

About HSBC

Pros

• No ATM withdrawal fees
  • Overdraft protection
  • New customer cash bonuses

Cons

• High account maintenance fees

Bottom Line

HSBC offers new customers cash bonuses. Some accounts come with high maintenance fees, but HSBC might be a good fit for consumers looking for an online savings account with a global bank.

HSBC Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

HSBC has the absolute worst Customer Service in the WORLD! I only opened an account here because they were offering $400 to open a new account with Direct Deposit and man am I sorry. I literally get declined every time I try to use more than 1000.00 and have to call them every time! And Customer Service takes forever to do anything. I am closing my account TODAY, I've had it. And BTW, their App and online banking is terrible as well. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

HSBC's phone application(s) and the online website are just confusing and is by far the most difficult and worst online banking I have come across. I bank with more than five institutions and this one has by far been the worst experience. I would consider myself to be someone with technical experience. Phone support was very nice but besides the successful reset of my login due to a "Generate Code" not working, EZ pay (auto pay) wasn't able to be completed, my payment date modification was not able to be met. Their online banking needs to be reevaluated immediately. I would have rather paid the extra .50% APR with a different institution knowing the inconvenience of their software.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

HSBC bank has been the worst service I have ever heard of as far as international transfers go. Using our money the transfer is still not complete. I sent the money electronically on the 16th October and today is the 8th November and still has not arrived. It would have been cheaper to fly to the bank, get a check and fly back and wait 6 days for it to clear. You should never use this bank for your own safety and well being. Good riddance to this bank.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I must be an idiot for not reading this reviews and choosing HSBC's online savings solely based on their reputation as one of the premier global institution. What a fool I am. Truly, I blame myself for being an idiot way more than I blame HSBC, because the reviews were all out here. I decided to go with them over smaller regional banks that offered a more competitive return.

Like many others, they suspended my ENTIRE account after I deposited my first check. Who does that? How is this acceptable? Does anyone know the anxiety of getting the run-around from department to department (all non-native English speakers) with nearly $100k of savings and inheritance on the line?! Moreover, this is clearly a known issue for management. Like, they know this is happening. All they need to do is hire some business process consultants from McKinsey or BCG to come in and help them over two months... but this is clearly something this crook of a bank wants. What do they get out of this?!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I am a software engineer that work for banks and built different online banking systems. HSBC online banking/app engineers/product managers/designers should be ashamed of themselves. It is the worst! Login is a headache. To setup your account you need to go to a legacy system that has a different User interface, if you see it for the first time you would think that this is a scam the website is hacked! You can do none of this with the mobile app! Similar goes to setting up automated payments. I called them, and they told me they will send me a form! A paper form to setup automatic payments! The representative herself did not suggest helping me to set it up online! They started charging me for late fees!! I never missed a payment with 8 different banks!

I told them I will close my account, and the representative did not even try to admit that the app has something wrong with it. He was talking in a tone that it was my fault. And hinting that I am one of these people who try to play the system. Not only I will never refer anybody to use their system. I will close my account ASAP, and as a software engineer I will never want to work on a bad system and organization like that. And to be honest. Chase is the best, use chase credit cards. These people are really professional and they are up to their word and their system is cutting edge.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I wish I had done more research prior to opening a premier account with HSBC. I like many others on here was lured into opening my account due to the $750 bonus promise. I went through the arduous process of opening my account figuring that it was just good policy to fraud screen. I was approved and had my initial deposit of $100 transferred from my Capital One 360 account. Then comes the nightmare.

The minimum balance requirement for this account is $75,000. So I have to deposit funds into the account to get to this minimum. I deposit a life insurance check I received as part of an inheritance - the check was approximately $6700. Like others my account was frozen - I had no access to the account. This is a total fraud lock out not just a hold on the check like other banks. I have no access to my account whatsoever. Worst part is I also have my paycheck being deposited and could not stop it in time.

I never received a phone call, an email, a letter or any type of communication indicating my account was frozen. I only knew because I tried to log on and received a message that my account had been suspended. I called HSBC and like many others was transferred around. It took me hours to get any type of information. I was told it was frozen for 5 business days to allow the check to clear. I was told I needed to resend my ID and address information. I did all of this.

Tomorrow is the 5th day. Hopefully it will no longer be frozen. After reading these reviews I will be closing my account. They can keep their $750. I do not want to go through this every time I deposit funds into my account. And from what has been posted this will occur again. I wish I had read these. It would have saved me so much frustration. Beware - these reviews are accurate. Also I could not reach a complaints area but I did file a complaint with the BBB which did get a response that they were investigating. I will also file a complaint with the CFPB. Thank goodness I did not need access to my funds - but there are others that do!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

This will be long, but please read so you avoid the psychiatric hospital bills this ** b.s. bank has made me incur. My head is still spinning over the twilight zone that HSBC will put you into. I received a letter from HSBC with a pre-approval. Not pre-qualified. Pre-approved. I'm between jobs and my daughter has very expensive medical bills, not all of which are covered by insurance. She has cancer, and that $5,000 could come in handy, so I completed the identifying info requested and VOILA! I was told I would receive an email when the card was on the way.

I received my card, along with TWO ADDITIONAL LETTERS: one had an electronic banking code, and the second had a 6 digit phone access code. Together with the card, this was THREE SEPARATE PIECES OF MAIL from HSBC (I'll tie all this together, just be patient). I activated the card using the website address on the sticker affixed to the front of the card, and went online to change the 6 digit access code. BAM! After I changed the code, I was notified there was a security hold on my card. A card I had NEVER USED. I called the number on the card, and was transferred 3 times, after being told I needed the "fraud apps" team. FIVE ** HOURS ON THE PHONE, and by the time I got a live person, and had to answer a barrage of security questions REPEATEDLY, I was told that department is closed FOR THE WEEKEND. What legit credit card doesn't have 24/7 access and support? NONE. That's how many. NONE.

I would have forgotten the card, but as mentioned, my daughter has medical expenses, and that $5,000 was going to help. So I called again on Monday. FOUR HOURS ON THE PHONE. They sent a letter requiring identifying documentation: EITHER a passport, driver's license or ID as photo identification, a form from the social security administration to verify my social security number, and a request for a utility bill or bank statement to verify my home address. I sent a copy of my passport card. NOPE. After another 4 hours on the phone, was told it had to be the actual passport, not the card. Sent that. NOPE.

I completed the PRE-APPROVED application using my driver's license number, so they needed that, not my passport. REALLY? Your letter said I could provide a passport OR driver's license. Now you need both? Okay. Submitted that. But it has my mailing address/office on it, whereas my bank statement has my home address. So now I need to submit documentation to verify BOTH addresses - my home and my mailing address. Hey, morons. You sent me the card at my mailing address. You sent me the access code I'm using to call you to that address. If it wasn't a real address, we would not be having these (now over 20 hours) of ** conversations. OH, and about that bank statement. The bottom right corner was cut off, so it wasn't accepted, although the address and all identifying information was perfectly clear. Guess that "page 1" makes a hell of a difference in identifying me. IDIOTS.

Okay, so I submit my mobile bill as proof of my office/mailing address. NOPE. Need a utility bill. Hey morons, I don't get the utility bills at my office. I get them at home. And I already provided you with proof of that address. In between this, the social security form was rejected because I forgot to check a box. I told them go ahead and check it for me. Nope, you have to do it. Which I did, and paid $7 for the post office to scan and re-send. GREAT NEWS! The social security form was accepted. Except then when I called back today to find out the status I found it wasn't accepted. "I don't see that in the notes here." "OH, and did you submit your driver's license?" "Yes, last week." "I don't see that here." Oh, no wait...here's a note. I guess your social security administration form was accepted, but we still need a utility bill FROM YOUR MAILING ADDRESS.

Sir, once again, there are no utility bills for my post office box. But you did mail me the card and TWO OTHER PIECES OF MAIL to that address. Is common sense non-existent on this planet any longer? I have bought cars worth $85,000 and had lines of credit for thousands with less issues than this ** $5000 card. SO...a few years ago HSBC was hit with fines for money laundering. In response, they implemented such ridiculous security measures you'd think you were buying a house worth millions. And who in the world feels comfortable email every piece of identifying documentation?? AND, their "fraud" team is only in India. Nothing in the US. Nothing in the UK. WTF? And they are closed on weekends.

As if that isn't ridiculous enough, you can't even understand anyone who answers the phone. They just read off of their little script and have zero idea what you are talking about. Robots. Orwellian. Oh, and that is actually WHEN they answer the phone. It has now been 2 weeks and my "active" card is not active, and I spent today and yesterday at the US Passport Agency and the Department of Motor Vehicles putting fraud alerts on my documentation. So now I have TSA issues to worry about next time I travel just for trying to protect myself from these fraudsters. Again, it was only my daughter's mounting medical bills that are not covered by insurance they kept me going back.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid this bank and anything to do with them. It's a SCAM and you will never be able to use the card, and they will take all of your personal documentation and clone your identity and ruin your credit. Report this bank and shut them down. Some terrorist could be running around with your driver's license or passport number. And since when is a driver's license a form of ID? IT'S TO DRIVE A CAR. A passport will always supercede a driver's license. I hate these people, and I'm so angry that I was stupid enough to provide this information out of desperation to save my child. WORST BANK EVER. They are not even a bank. It is a SCAM to fund terrorists. STAY AWAY. REPORT THEM!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I just recently opened a savings online only account with BANK HSBC. This was based on top recommendations for best accounts on a website. To begin the first week I opened the account. They blocked access to it because I logged in from another location. I mentioned I use a VPN for all my online banking. They asked if I was calling from a US phone number and I was like what kind of question is that if you can see my phone number. They released the block on that.

A few weeks later they blocked my account again for the same reason--logging from another location and my response was the same. This time they went above and beyond asking all kinds of questions that I did give a correct answer to. From SS#, address, phone numbers, and so on and so forth. First they asked me why was my phone number not registered under my name and I said because I have a family plan with my partner register under his; then they asked for his name. Then they asked what other banks I've had and if I recently made any transfers to what I gave them the right answer.

They kept on going with questions about other stuff even dare to tell me "Why did you open 2 accounts with 2 different banks on the same month? That's suspicious!." Like really? I can open as many accounts as I want in the time period I want. They called my financial institution to verify all my personal information with them and even then they were still doubting me (the bank institution did verify all the info with my authorization over the line). They asked "What is the source of your income" and I replied, "Obviously my job." They asked for my workplace, the reason I opened the account.... Blah blah blah.... I swear I ended up saying, "So what else do you need from me? A DNA test?"

I got so aggravated I told them I was feeling harassed and that they were making me feel like a criminal or fraudster; and why would I bother going through all this for a few dollars. I only had less than $125 on the account; like really? All this trouble "to protect my account" with just a few dollars on it. After 1 hour and 20 minutes they restored my access.

All in all I'm done with this institution. They humiliated me to the point I cried and for what? To lose another unhappy customer. This institution seems like a scam and control everything you put with them. Luckily it was only a savings account. I couldn't imagine doing other business with them. PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM. I have the information of the people I dealt with but obviously I know they are following protocol and guidance. I'm not blaming those specific people but the process and policy of the company that seems like non-sense in some ways to me.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I applied for the online savings account because of their high rates. My initial application was immediately declined because my credit was frozen. I thawed my credit report and applied again. On the application I gave my traditional copper wire LANDLINE phone number as my home phone number. During the application, I authorized an initial deposit of $1.00. I was contacted several times for additional information. Each time I called them they wanted to send me a text message with a security code. As an alternative, they could leave the code on my voice mail. They could not send this to a phone number that was not on the application. They allowed alternative means of identification by having me answer questions about my application or my credit report during these calls.

I ended up sending them photocopies of my drivers license, passport, utility bill, and a form authorizing them to verify my social security number. Finally after two weeks my application was approved and the $1 deposit was credited to my account. I received an email with some credentials and telling me that I would receive my security code by either text message or if authorized by postal mail within 7 business days. I cannot receive text messages or voicemail on my landline. I watched my postal mail for the following two weeks and nothing was received. Without the security code online banking cannot occur.

I finally called HSBC in regard to the security code. I waited 35 minutes to reach an agent. I asked if I could receive my security code by postal mail. I was told in order to do this I would need to accept a text message. I gave them my cell phone number. It was rejected because my cellphone was not registered with my savings account. They then said that I could receive a code via my voicemail, but my landline does not have voicemail. I was then told that I could give them the last four digits of my HSBC credit or debit card, but I don't have either type of account.

Finally, I was told I must appear in person at an HSBC branch within the next 24 hours to verify my identity. I live in Wisconsin. The closest branch is in the Washington, D.C. area. I asked if there were any other alternatives and I was told that there were none. I am glad that I only deposited one dollar. This account will remain dormant indefinitely. I will find somewhere else to deposit funds from my inheritance. Having an account with HSBC is not worth the hassle!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

If there's negative star I'll give negative star. First of all, I just opened a premier checking account to receive my paycheck. Since then, every interaction with HSBC is difficult. Then comes the day I tried to linked HSBC as an external account to my other checking account. The verification process triggered a security warning on HSBC's side. I was contacted by phone by HSBC to run a virus scan. They required me to send over a screenshot to unfreeze the account.

I did that immediately. But then never heard back!!! I called on day 3 to ask for the situation and was told that my email was not received. I resent the screenshot on the same day and called to confirm. The second guy from efraud told me they actually received all my messages. He even read my email out loud. I tried to interrupt because I knew what I had written, he kept going without letting me speak. He told me the reason for no reply is because my system language is in a language other than English so that they couldn't process my message. But they never told me until I called.

I then changed my system language and resend a screenshot. To date I have never received any reply. I NEED TO ACCESS MY ACCOUNT! Every time I call it took me more than 1 hour and I'm not going to call again. My next step is to contact the relationship manager to ask him/her cancel my account without penalty because the fault is completely on efraud's team.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

HSBC makes every user interaction as difficult and cumbersome as possible. Buying a home was a simpler process than setting up my US and UK accounts with this bank and ultimately required me to physically go to another state to sign a document. This initial experience was representative of every other interaction I had with the bank until I closed it today (also a nightmare). Logging into your account online requires: user name, password, child's middle name, opening their mobile app, 2 mobile clicks, and entering another generated code into the online experience. WHY DOES EVERY INTERACTION WITH YOUR BANK HAVE TO BE THE WORST! When you talk to the support team online, prepare to answer 6 levels of security EACH TIME THEY TRANSFER YOU (and they transfer you a lot). Bottom line, this bank disappointed me at every opportunity. I have worked with 6 other banks, and this is easily the worst one I have ever dealt with. AVOID!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My Real Estate Clients applied for a mortgage at this bank. HSBC Christal **, Elizabeth ** had 31 days to do an Easy loan with big downpayment - and only! 1 day before the closing date they said that loan is not ready. Before that they ignored all emails from RE companies and clients. Christal wrote she was on vacation for 2 weeks, and they have no idea when they would close the loan. It was such a big and costly mistake to do home mortgage with HSBC.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I applied for their online savings since they have the highest APY. Filled in the application, went through the credit check and the sourcing bank checks, etc... Then after 4 days I got a call from their fraud protection to provide them my driver's license. Then still after 2 days no response. I have opened similar accounts with online US based banks and everything has completed within one day. These turkeys act like you are at their mercy and they wanna take a month to approve your application... Then I read all these horror stories online and decided to withdraw my application.

Another thing that really bothered me is that they treat you like a criminal unless otherwise proven. Why do I have to deal with the fraud department of some bank if I want to open a simple savings account. I'm a very honest citizen who is investing my hard earned money. If HSBC has an unusual problem with fraud and money laundering they should probably put their executives under investigation and not honest and hard working citizens. ** HSBC and hope not to ever see you again!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I was looking online for a bank that has no fees and pays a good interest rate. I came across HSBC and it looked great. I opened an account online and transferred some savings from my Capital One 360 account. All fine and good. Then I got my weekly check in the mail and decided to deposit it in my HSBC account. No problems there. But then the next day, I went to log on to my account to see if the check had been deposited, but I couldn't log in. It said my credentials were suspended so I called the 800 number to find out what happened. Long story short, after a 20 minute phone call, their company policy is to suspend your account for 5 days when you deposit a check in order for the check to clear and they couldn't give me a reason why.. just that it's their company policy... That makes no sense! This bank is the worst!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I recently opened a new credit card with HSBC. This is my first experience with HSBC. I used checks they provided to transfer balances from other credit cards. Even though I used checks that they sent to my home address to transfer funds from one of my accounts to another one of my accounts, this still apparently triggered a fraud alert. Their fraud prevention department called and left me a message with instructions for a number to call and nine digit number to reference. I returned the call. They put me on hold for 15 minutes and then hung up on me before anyone answered the call. They then apparently put my account on hold so I could not use my card.

I called again over the weekend (because I have a JOB during the week) and no one could help me because the fraud department was closed on the weekends. Seriously???! I arranged for a customer service to call me on Monday at 330 pm EST to resolve this issue. It's currently 11:10 am on Monday morning. HSBC called me at 10am on my cell phone (not on my work phone as requested) and left ANOTHER message asking me to return their call referencing a 9 digit number. As I am typing this I have been on hold for 37 minutes. And this is all to resolve something that NEVER should have been an issue. I will stop banking with them just as soon as I can.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

They offer a bonus for keeping money in account for 90 days and then when you try to collect they say you have to wait another eight weeks. Fraud and terrible dishonest customer service. Save your money and go to a good bank like CIT, Synchrony, etc.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I am manoj **, I opened business bank account with HSBC for my new business content proficiency in November,2018. As i do charge online through the website and the most use of the HSBC account was to transfer money from PayPal and Stripe to the bank account through which customer pays us online through website. Only Few native clients were provided account of HSBC to put the money for the business content writing services, It would be not more than the 3% of the total business. It means that only 3%-5% customers paid directly to the HSBC account and rest I was transferring money from PayPal and Stripe to HSBC. 90% of our customers pay via PayPal and 5% to 8% on stripe.

My business was slowly growing and right in the 6th month when we transferred the highest amount of the business £9000.00 from Paypal, I got the letter on 4rth May, 2018 that my account is in review for £100.00 as the customer complaint on it. Within a week of May,4,2018. my online account access was denied. Fortunately, the same customer had £450.00 on PayPal disputed and we won the case with PayPal as services were all provided and delivered. I sent the copies of work delivered along with the proof of winning the case on PayPal for the same customer in the same week as now all of my PayPal business money was stuck with them for a fraudulent immigrant customer from Pakistan "yet all proves provided" and in the same month only 4 transaction were put directly in to the HSBC, that is not more than £800.00 as i said we 99% take payments via PayPal or stripe.

I thought it's just a complaint of £100.00 on £10000.00 plus pounds in the account and as I have already won the case with paypal and provided them all the proofs, it will be resolved quick. It has all turned nightmare from that day, they said they are reviewing it and will respond, Everyday I call them, they put me on hold for hours and sometimes don't pick up. For three months they said you will get the response in week or two. As my business stopped, I went in to the depression and all loss as this business just went for 6 months, We got no complaints on PayPal and we got 99.99% customer satisfaction. Just one fraudulent customer reached hsbc for £100.00 and they put my 10,000+ pounds sucked.

After 2 and half months they told me after around 100000 calls that the proofs i provided to them are lost and that they want me to send them the proofs via mail. I got all proofs printed, mailed to them with the note that get that £100.00 back to the customer or send me the poison to drink as it's a very very hard earned money. My 99.99% payments are from PayPal transferred to the bank and now I am in the 4th month completion without any resolve to this issue.

Never ever think of use them, I now take medicines of High Blood Pressure and depression as I have not done wrong anyone in my life and I am in debt of £6000.00 now. My business PayPal is fine but as all of money stuck I can't advertise and do business anymore. They hold your money without response and they deal with you as you're a valueless piece on earth for them. It's all happening with me from 4 months. As i am already in debt & begging to give me the status of money from 4 months. I just wanna die, I am tired chasing them and lost all hopes in my life. Please For GOD sake HSBC don't ruin the lives. It's been 4 months, please for God's sake look in to my account. I have provided proofs many many times now, even mailed. Please don't do this with me, I will suicide.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

They say if you open a new account, you'll receive a bonus. I've been waiting past the maximum time and even after several calls to customer service, they tell me someone will reach back out and I never hear from them again after 2 weeks.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

DO NOT OPEN ACCOUNT HERE: On July 4th I received a text message that a fraudulent charge tried to post to my account from H&M 0291 for $195.55. I responded to the text message that the charge was not me. A few minutes later I was contacted by a representative that asked the same question. I told him as well that the charge was not me. The rep asked what was the last charge I made. I told him a $20 purchase to Sec a company that I pay on a regular basis. He took my information and stated that I would get a new card and fraud form to complete for the $195.55. I received the form and the charge for $20 was listed as fraud instead with no mention of the $195.55 (I assume because the charge was declined) so I actually should not have gotten a form in my opinion since the charge never went through.

I contacted HSBC and I was assured I could discard the form so I did. I assumed all was well until I did not hear from my son. Upon further investigation I found that my account at Sec had been closed and blocked due to fraud because of the incorrect chargeback from HSBC. I contacted HSBC to request that those funds be returned. I was told that since the account was closed they could not return them and I could use the new card to pay the $20 again. However Sec does not work that way and I can no longer use any card to submit payments to them and the only way to reopen my account is to get an affidavit from HSBC that says I did not submit a request for a chargeback and this was done in error. Once they reopen the account I also have to pay them by MoneyGram/Western Union which means I must leave my home and pay a fee to pay them.

This is the only means of communication that I have with my mentally disabled son and all of the phone numbers (my entire family) connected to my account have been blocked so no one can create a new account. I bought a new phone in an effort to bypass this but because the billing address for all my cards matches that account it was automatically blocked as well. I have made countless calls to the fraud department, customer service, actual HSBC branch locations, tried using chat to get this corrected all to no avail.

I have repeated myself and the situation with every single contact and no one can help me or even seems like they understand what I am requesting due to language barriers. I don't know what to do at this point and no one has taken ownership of this request to get my issue solved. I have not spoken to my son and he is too far away for me to try to visit. He is not well mentally and likely thinks that his family has abandoned him because communication with his entire family is now non existent. I am left with no alternatives. I'd like to receive a response and call to get my issue resolved rather than continuing to be ignored. I have contacted HSBC no less than 35 times to be sent through a never ending cycle of hold and you have to call this department and having to repeat the entire story each time and hope the next person can actually understand me.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I would give them 0 stars, but unfortunately that’s not an option. This bank has no place in Canada and for good reason. I was in the midst of switching all my accounts over but quickly came to the realization that this was a bad idea. Their customer service is horrendous! Don’t try making an appointment at your branch or any branch for that matter because there’s no way to call the branch. Let that sink in for a moment...basically the only way to make appointments with them is to physically walk into a branch and hope they won’t be busy. Luckily both times I walked in to a branch they were practically empty which in itself speaks volumes in terms of their retail banking market share.

The other way to make an appointment is to call their general customer service number, which is just as frustrating. Their call centre appears to be based out of the Philippines which I have no problem with, however it’s extremely frustrating when it takes 5+ minutes to have them authenticate you and they don’t speak English very well. Furthermore, they don’t appear to be trained even the slightest bit. I wanted to see what the fastest and cheapest was to get some USD transferred from my other USD account based in Canada. The agent told me I can send an EMT, which I knew right away was false. I ended up just writing a cheque to myself to transfer the funds but guess what? There is a 3 WEEK hold! Even after I see the funds have cleared my account they still want to continue with the hold.

I ultimately decided to close all my accounts I had just opened because they refused to increase my daily ATM withdrawal limit from the standard $600 even after I met with a customer rep to explain my concerns. I even offered to provide income verification, credit reports and anything else to alleviate any credit concerns they may have, yet they still refused. We all say we hate the big banks but after this short horrendous experience experimenting with HSBC I now realize how amazing the other BIG 5 are. HSBC! Your customer service is non-existent and there’s no way you will succeed in Canada’s competitive retail banking landscape.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Purchased 2 motorcycles with son about 15 years ago. HSBC Nevada financed. Son missed SOME payments and I completely paid off 13 years ago. Never received title nor lien release letters. I sent required documents 2 years ago and still never received requested releases. Spent an hour trying to get someone to assist. Multiple calls yielded one person who gave me 2 numbers which ring unanswered. WILL NEVER BUY ANY PRODUCT THAT USES HSBC FINANCING AGAIN.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Just opened an account in California at one of LA Branch and in four months I got nothing but trouble. At every few thousands dollars wire and transaction they freeze my account to verify the transaction for any potential fraud. I have an active site online and I always buys items from China. I learnt lately that this bank was under world wide investigation for money laundering. Best treatment for this bank is to to sue them for large amount for damaging my business.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I applied twice for a credit card with 0% interest for 18 months.. Both times, I got an email back saying the application process wasn't complete and that I needed to call them. In both cases, they said there was a mistake in my application. I disregarded the first email and was told later that my application was withdrawn because I didn't respond. I reapplied a few months later because the 0% for 18 months was good, The second time I received a call while I was driving asking for personal information. I asked them to email me because I was driving. They sent me an email and I called them. I took the lady about 10 tries to be able to verify the code they sent me.

It was then that she said the problem was in how I spelled my last name. She said I misspelled it. In over 55 years of getting credit, I have never misspelled my name on a credit application. She also sounded like she was in the next room. She also wanted information that was already on the application. Twice being contacted to verify information when applying for a credit card, and especially how I spell my name (a five letter word) was enough for me to stop the process. It also took almost 6 weeks for a reply when most credit card companies reply within 48 hours. This sounds too much like a scam to me. I want nothing to do with this company!

Original review: July 22, 2019

HSBC France (the intermediary) slower than a tortoise. It’s been 20 days. They are not able to clear the telegraphic transaction. Neither they are able to return the money. I made the TT from Hong Kong to Indonesia on 2nd July, the intermediary (HSBC France) came with questions on 10th. They took so long to send cable to HK? How intelligent. All their question were replied with evidences, evidences verifiable online, and also in search engines. Despite this, they are not able to release the funds, and neither return the funds back.. Not amused with this service.

Original review: July 20, 2019

I needed to refinance my condo unit. I approached HSBC mortgage department by phone. They advised me to send them certain documents related to income, income tax returns, notice of assessment from Tax department (CRA), job letter, T4, T5 and old age and pension related documents. I sent all the documents. After a week we were (myself and my wife) called given an appointment after another week for phone conversation.The Customer Service Representative (CSR) was very unprofessional. The questions he was asking me indicated that he had not read any thing from my documents. To answer his questions I would tell him to look for that in the document I provided. Every time his answer was that he did not have time to read my documents. I spent about 90 minutes with him. I reminded him several times that he should have studied my documents before calling me.

After about one and a half hour, he said that he would schedule another phone appointment a week later to talk to my wife. I told him that my renewal of mortgage was due in the next 3 weeks, and you have already wasted my two weeks. He said "you make you own arrangement of extension of current mortgage. Our processing time is more than a month." He called after a week 2 hours late for the appointment. Talked to my wife. He was extremely rude. My wife advised him that "my husband handles all the mortgage information, please talk to him." He hang up saying "if you are not interested in providing me the information, you call us again to make another phone appointment." and That's it. Never to go close to HSBC again.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I opened a premier checking account lured by their generous opening bonus offer. Only a few days later, I deposited two checks, one from my neighbor and the other from my flexible spending account. They freezed my whole account out of a sudden and I had to call the customer service. They were not helpful either. Instead of unfreezing my account, they kept saying that they have to review the deposit and it may take up to 5 business days. For the meantime, I would need to just wait.

I'm glad that this happened early on, not when I really need to pay my bills. I don't want to imagine the consequences that I would have to face, if this were to happen later while I am actively using it. The operator agreed that this doesn't make any sense, but she said that they need to stick to their policy. I looked up and found out that they have ruined many people and businesses by freezing their account out of no clear reason for unpredictable amount of time. Although I just opened this account, I am going to close it. I cannot deal with a bank which is unpredictable.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I recently switched banks because HSBC has one of the lowest yields among other banks. In order to do that, I had to roll out all my funds before I closed down my accounts. In the process, I'm more assured everyday that I made the right choice leaving this bank. At first, it was an ordeal to roll over the funds from my IRA account to my 401(K) plan under my current employer. I called and was told that their computers didn't allow them to enter certain format in the address field on my application. So I had to go to the branch near me and the "Senior Director" of customer relations had no idea what she was doing. She had to call her colleague in front of me to ask her what to do, which is, simply taking my filled out application in written form and processing it....

After my accounts were closed, it's taking over a month to downgrade my credit card which used to be linked with my HSBC checking account. The customer service representative basically just told me to close it and apply for a new one. But the whole point is to downgrade my credit card so that I don't have to pay an annual fee and my credit won't be affected. Then, ordering 6 most recent bank statements seem like rocket science to them. Since I can't access my accounts online anymore after I closed them, I had to email and go to the branch to order my bank statements. They mailed me 6 bank statements from the year before.... and I never received anything requested the second time.

It seems like the problem resides in their customer service department and their staff's ability to understand and process the customers' requests. HSBC outsources their customer service department outside the U.S. It's very frustrating because the simplest request essential to daily living in the U.S. seems foreign to them; and they process it wrong due to limited understanding both culturally and intellectually. Ironically, outsourcing as a way to cut cost backfires as I pulled out all my funds from the bank when I closed down the accounts due to the ridicules.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I opened HSBC Advance Checking account in November 2018 through HSBC promotion published on their website (they are still running it as of today) - $350 welcome bonus when you deposit $10,000 within a month and keep it for 90 days. I've posted $10,000 per the promo rules, followed up many times with HSBC customer service on the promotion conditions. They advised me welcome bonus would be posted in May 2019. But in May, new story emerged - no bonus! They claimed I did not open the account through their promotional web page, which is absolutely not true! I've spent hours on the phone with Customer service, several times different managers promised me to resolve the situation and offered to call me back in 2-3 days - no calls, everyone of them disappeared! HSBC is unprofessional, full of lies, scummy practices. Stay away, don't buy their lies.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Decided to take their seemingly generous offer of cash ($850) to open an account, so I did. Was told that my money would also earn over 2% interest while sitting there. Opening the account was overly cumbersome but I muddled through it. I deal with many banks and have a lot of experience with banks, the HSBC process was not normal. After finally jumping through the many hoops I find that the account basically earns no interest.

In order to earn interest I have to open other accounts and they make this almost impossible. They do do provide routing numbers (that work) which astounds me. If you can get through to anyone, they tend to be not at all helpful and do not call back or respond in a timely fashion. Finally I decided to just close the account and get my money back, and of course this is even more difficult. I transferred the money 3 days ago and have not seen or heard anything since. I am told that it can take 5 days....We will see.... I would not deal with this bank ever again!

Original review: June 13, 2019

It's been over 8 years I'm an HSBC customer in 4 countries around the world, their service is always been pretty much good, but lately I was dealing with my International Relationship Manager from HSBC France and it's been a terrible experience. First of all, completely unexpected he has sent me an email notifying that my account in France has been blocked because showing inactive status (I live abroad since 8 years) and I had to provide a lot of documents (also tax declaration) to reactivate it. Starting from the principle that I receive yearly notification from HSBC with such a request and I always fulfill it, this time I found this way very brutal and no respectful. Is it necessary to block my account?

Nevertheless, I have replied in the same day asking for some clarification and he has never replied to my email for over 2 weeks. What a beautiful customer service!! Obviously, being unable to access to my account I had to call the hot line to understand what was happening. The lady was asking me to send those documents and the account would have been unlocked but without providing further information on how come it was locked in the first place. Also when I started to raise the fact that her colleague didn't reply to my email for over two weeks, she just said "I will inform him but actually we are too busy now and I need to hung up the phone"!! WOW another beautiful moment of customer service!! I think something wrong with your guys in France. Give them some cross exposure in other countries and let them learn about customer care. Really disappointing!

HSBC Company Information