Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.33/5

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Franklin Templeton Investments Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Franklin Templeton Investments?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Franklin Templeton Investments?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

The company has wound up debt funds in India suddenly. My $56,000 is stuck up and don’t know when the company will return the monies. Legal case against company is pending in India courts questioning its business practices. Why did the company invest in risky assets? Why company didn’t do due diligence before loaning investors money to defaulters? Why is the company not returning the monies? Has there been unethical practices or collusion involved?

Original review: May 26, 2020

The Prelude. I have been invested into FT's 'Ultra Short Term' Debt fund 'Super Institutional Plan', to the tune of 1.1 mn INR (approx 15,000 USD). The fund has a Macaulay period of 0.4 years. Few months ago, there was a default that diminished the NAV by 4.5%. They had invested in papers below 'AAA' rating per SEBI guidelines; to beat competition, they had lent debt against sub par papers, as had been the case over quite few years ('Super Institutions Plan' was a marketing gimmick, sigh!). It was a wake up call and as destiny would have it, I'd contemplated on and almost executed a withdrawal, only that I couldn't!

Disaster occurs... On the April 23rd 2020, the fund house imposed an unilateral freeze over 6 of its live schemes, out of the blue- all the investors instantly lost access to every penny of their own invested money. The scheme I was into, the shortest maturity of all had the most money invested among them, investors had parked money for the shortest term- to ride out the March market crash, financial and life goals... you get the point, correct? For many life went upside down, particularly as India declared 2 month long lockdown. With no income and job losses imminent, they couldn't even dig into their savings meant as backup (of course bonds have risks. But it was the trust these educated people placed in the financial instruments and in the brand that "was" FT. Alas!)

More skeletons in the closet... As the drama unfolds, an even worrisome development has been them sending notification that the full retrieval and pay back to investors in my particular scheme would take upto 3 years (for the supposed 'Ultra short term' product sold, with Macaulay/avg. Maturity period of 5 months). Apparently money of short term mutual funds was diverted to long term NCDs & papers with maturity upto 7-8 years. No transparency, accountability or trust. What I regret is, not completely exiting the fund even as the premonition of the oncoming avalanche hung on. But then, there are restrictions on daily withdrawals. The whole system looks complicit. While I can't speak of FT US/Global, FT India proved themselves to be frauds, evidence has it written all over.

Get buying tips about Online Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Franklin Templeton MF has earned enormous amounts as fund management fees in last 25 years, from millions of small investors, in India. Rs 40000 crores plus. Their fund managers/company directors earn high salaries in crores of Rs every year, which is paid by millions of Indian citizens. Last week, this MF declared that it is NOT possible for them to pay back Rs 26000 crore, due to market conditions. They might pay after 5/10 years. What they did not tell us, that as they have invested deliberately in bad debts, with mala fide intentions. Important to note that, none of other 25 mutual funds, operating in same space in India, have taken this extreme step. This MF management team has deliberately cheated lakhs of small investors like me. Protect your hard earned money from dirty minded people in Franklin Templeton. Invest anywhere else.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Franklin Templeton has been the most disappointing investment company I have ever traded with. I used them under a recommendation of my financial adviser whom I do respect. They have one of the worst functioning websites I have ever encountered in the investing world. Many errors and non-loading web pages. Their reporting tools are horrific, for many years I could not even get a report to figure out ROI, this is on a brokerage site. I asked about it and they said yeah we don't have that. They finally did ad it later but their other reporting is decades behind in my opinion. I would highly recommend not using Franklin Templeton.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Franklin Templeton Investments was an all inclusive service that helped walked you through the process right from the time you are considering an adviser through the sign up process and guiding you through bigger decisions as you go on. For anyone thinking of using an online adviser, it's a very easy process that can seem intimidating when you first get involved.

But as you learn you are walked through the process with kid gloves really answering any questions you may have no matter how small. If I could have my way I would like for the process to be a little more personalized in terms of dealing with essentially the same person through the process so they know me and my wants and needs. Overall, I find them efficient, effective, and thoughtful.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

They are a great company that has helped me make a lot of money over the years with sound financial advice. They are a stable company that make me feel like my investments are safe. It's very easy to use and they help you maximize your time and profits. Log in and check them out, you can also navigate to all of the high performing investments and really hit the ground running. I see a long future with them as partners.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Site is easy to navigate and someone is always readily available if I have a question. If unsure about anything someone is always available... In a recent occurrence, I talked to a rep named Tammy. I wasn't understanding the fees I would get from withdrawing some money from my 401K. She took the extra time and was very helpful. I appreciate that in a company. But Franklin could maybe have quicker response on the social connect page. One time last year the page stalled a bit. Other than that no problems.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

The website is easy to use and well tabbed out. It has a lot of useful information but 99% of it is just what they want to tell me and harder to find the information that I want to know. It has been easier to email or call about some information that would be customize to me and I wish the search section worked better. I have always appreciated Franklin Templeton’s perspectives on investment. The part that I liked, especially when I was starting out, was that I was able to create hypothetical portfolios. This helped to see how things may or may not work for me without using real money.

Franklin Templeton is informational but not individualized. But I would like to see more alerts and suggestions about underperforming stocks and mutual funds. I see plenty of recommendations but not enough of a way to be warned about investing in low performers. Diversifying my portfolio can only help so much if I make crucially bad investments that I could have been about.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Franklin Templeton’s service is convenient, knowledgeable, trustworthy and using it is pretty simple. Once you have an account with them, all you do is go to their website and log in to your account and from there you can see your investments and portfolio. You can chat with an adviser online and they will help you what you are trying to accomplish, whether it be an investment that you want to make or if you want to make a plan for your investments.

I get all of the information that I need from the comfort of my home or at work and there is no need for me to take a big chunk of my time out of one of my days to go meet with them. On top of that, they provide quality advisement and I have been happy with their plan and recommendations. However, their online platform could be improved and made more user-friendly. There are times when I have to search for something like an investor’s tool and feel that it should have been in a more accessible location. Also, they could improve their service by offering a video chat service for 24 hours a day or at least extended hours.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Franklin Templeton Investments has a very nice financial website that has customer service from time to time and also is categorize in a very easy way to understand! I like the convenience that you have someone that can help you in every type of concern you have financially, and also good advice to break down things that need to done. But I don’t like the time in which operate. It's a bit inconvenient for me and also for people that work around those hours. Also the customer service need to improve in many ways especially in the way to communicate with consumers.

Franklin Templeton Investments author review by Barbara Friedberg

Franklin Templeton Investments was founded in the 1940s by Rupert H. Johnson Sr. and named after Benjamin Franklin. The company serves individual investors, institutional investors, financial advisors and registered investment advisors. The company has separate websites for the institutional investor and the registered investment advisor. Franklin Templeton serves clients across the globe.​

• Services: Franklin Templeton serves its clientele with a range of investment planning tools including closed-end funds, exchange traded funds, small business retirement plans and separately managed accounts. The company offers solutions for college funding and other life goals.

• Products: Franklin Templeton Investments is home to scores of investment funds representing the cash, equity and fixed income markets Their investments are sold to individuals as well as through financial advisors. Their strategies include multi-asset, alternative and Franklin Templeton solutions.

• Educational and client resources: The company’s “Investor Tools” section is categorized according to investor education, financial conversations and investor behavior. The company also offers calculators, apps and research (insights) reports.

• Investment philosophy: Since 1947, the firm has been dedicated to delivering exceptional asset management for institutional, retail and high-net-worth clients.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor