1.0/5 (11 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Citigold

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Citigold Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citigold?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citigold?

Original review: May 4, 2022

So DISSAPPOINTED in my experience with CITI GOLD banking for these reasons:

- Online access LOCKED 95% of time with 5-15 calls to UNLOCK.
- Your "dedicated" rep NEVER responds.. I am now at 100th call + email to ask him to fix an issue but NO RESPONSE as usual.
- Long HOLD times, and reps who do NOT understand the issue, and just say "we will MAIL you a card" or we will "submit to a special department".
- NO real benefits except for Free Incoming WIRE.
- They do have REBATES on Hulu and Costco but 'FORGET " to tell you or to sign up for them!

- After my 150 requests to correct an issue.. they just said "CLOSE ACCOUNT AND OPEN AGAIN - We do NOT know how to fix!" Absolutely RIDICULOUS way to "customer UNservice".

Original review: March 12, 2022

Citigold client since 1991. Checking account hacked for $49500. Did nothing for me, refused to provide any details on what they did to stop wire transfer and any details of what Wells Fargo did to get money from fraudulent account. Most importantly they had no 2 step verification process. No phone call, text or email asking me if this was for real. Closed all my accounts.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

I cannot overstate how challenging and aggravating Citibank has been to work with. IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING CITIGOLD, STAY AWAY! I joined in July 2021 on account of an attractive Citigold incentive bonus. Despite numerous efforts on my part to fund the account within the 30 day window required for the incentive, it took 34 days to resolve issues and get it funded. I called several times to query whether I would remain eligible for the promotion, and everyone I talked to assured me I would.

6 months and over 10 hours on the phone later, I have been repeatedly misled that "this would be resolved soon" until finally being told there was "nothing they could do about it." I would have much preferred they told me this during the initial 1-2 months so as to save my time and energy. The combination of dishonesty and incompetence has been, at least from my personal experience with large organizations, unprecedented. I offer this review with hopes that my time-wasting, capital-wasting experience can protect others from the same outcome. BANK WITH ANYONE BUT CITI!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

Transferred money into the bank account and afterwards, they put a block on the account and had to spend 3 hours on the phone bouncing from department to department (they even hung up on me) to try and resolve the random block they put on the account. They were so

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

This bank sucks. I wrote 2 checks. Money was in my account to pay my bills. They took the money then returned the money to my account and said my account is blocked then I call them ask what’s going on with my account. They tell me it’s because I don’t have money in my account.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Citigold had closed my account due security reasons of too many logins or something related. I had asked for my check because my payroll was going in there and I needed it for Thanksgiving and bills due. They gave me the runaround and then I had wait 7 business days to get the hold and either 3-5 business days to get my funds or 5-7 business days (I was told both no definite answer). Very displeased with this bank and would never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I am a Citigold member with accounts located at the Amboy Rd. Staten Island branch. Consistently, over the last four years, I have been treated rudely in spite of my Citigold standing. Recently, I needed to deal with an account. I dropped by the branch and noticed the Citigold rep just sitting alone at her desk. I asked if I could see her, she replied she was busy but would see me in five minutes. I waited for 25 minutes and I stuck my head in her office at ask if I should be seeing one of the regular reps who were also doing nothing. To my surprise she told me she was doing something more important. Yikes in running businesses for forty years I never heard someone talk like that to a customer.

I wrote to Citibank and the area manager called me, a lovely woman who had all the right answers. The problem was she did not follow up on any of her promises. I have been able to move 25% of my funds to other banks and hope to be totally out of Citibank within a year. This is a bank that has this Citigold program for it's best customers and then treats then worse than non-Citigold customer. If after spending time going up the line still brought me nothing, why bother? What a pain to move all accounts out plus I sold my stocks they have lost my confidence.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I closed my checking account with Citi-Bank N.A. The bank did not include my interest earn in my final closing check. I contacted their Citi Gold department but up to today all they keep saying that it's being worked on (NO – Check almost one month later), I was told it's in the mail. When I closed my Citi gold checking, they SHOULD have provided a complete check with earned interest. I have not been getting my statements from them on a monthly cycle, which caused late fees, and then I recently got a statement with a different City and state address to me.

When I complained to Citibank Citi Gold Customer Services about it, they kept telling me the check is on the way. The true fact is that almost a month later and no check. It seems to me that did not do anything. I suspect my mail is going to this address. I want them to pay me my interest with an addition month of interest. I want to find out why they are finally sending my statements with other city and state address to me.

Original review: May 11, 2015

Prior to moving to Medellin, Colombia, I had to find an international bank in order to transfer funds to purchase a house, have access to my money for living etc. so I went into Citibank, received the sales pitch and went for it. I hand carried cash from Wells Fargo to Citibank so there would be no two-week waiting period. Was told my funds would be available the next day, they were not, was told I could do a wire transfer the next day, when I tried to do so, from one Citibank account to another, both in the US I was told I was a new account and could not do that for 3 months. It took me 3 weeks and countless hours on the phone to be able to transfer funds to purchase my home and this would not have been possible without the help of two very helpful supervisors that went out on a limb for me. Was told that I could withdraw up to $2,000 a day, not true.

Every time I used the card or tried to they shut me down and I would have to call and spend hours on the phone. When you do not have dependable phone service this is an hour's long process. I was told I could go into any Citibank in the city and do my banking, huge lie, you cannot do any banking at a Citibank here, only use the ATM. WITH EVERY CALL I REITERATED I DO NOT LIVE IN THE USA. They keep accusing me of fraud because I want to have access to my money, my card is being used outside the U.S., well a world bank should know people are going to use the card outside of the U.S. After my second call this week regarding this situation the fraud supervisor, **, refused to speak with me again because I did not meet her requirements and that I had to go into a bank in the states to resolve this issue.

The only true thing I was told was that I would be charged $30 a month. Citibank has made my life a living hell. So now, here I am in a foreign country, with money in the bank and no access to it and in the position of having to buy a last minute ticket to go to the States to address this issue. DON'T EVEN CONSIDER OPENING A CITIBANK ACCOUNT. What they have done is nothing short of harassment, and to add insult to injury I get to pay a monthly fee for it. No more, I'm done.

Original review: March 2, 2014

This is not huge first time I've had trouble with Citigold. I'm sure they have the call logs to back up my claim about how negligent they can be with people's money, but I am here to finally make some noise, as I do not appreciate that after I have given them opportunity after opportunity to keep me as a customer, and forgive all their mistakes, they are unforgiving when it is you, the customer, who makes an honest mistake.

I've been using their Citi mobile app for over a year, and I've never had any issues, until now. Apparently, I inverted my numbers when entering the dollar amount of my paycheck; it's easy to see how a person could make a mistake like I did, and they hit me with a $20.00 penalty fee for doing so. Do not use the Citi mobile app unless you're certain you won't make a mistake. Isn't the purpose of taking an image of your check for verification purposes, in the event that the customer put the wrong dollar amount into the data entry box? Meaning, they clearly don't operate on an honor system. Furthermore, it's to catch mistakes and fix them, not fix the mistake, and then harshly penalize the customer for making the mistake.

When I go to the teller, and in the rare case I have written the wrong dollar amount on my deposit slip, they call me and tell me the amount was adjusted. There's no penalty issued. Why is it different with their mobile app? Customer service said the amount entered is issued into your account before it's verified. That's not a true statement, and that is not the fault of your customers that the bank doesn't always verify first. When you submit the check image, you will receive an email same day stating the check was "received" and then a day and a half later, if you're lucky, you may receive an email stating that it was deposited in the account. It sounds to me that this is a careful process, not a process where they just put the money into your account without adjusting it first.

An easy fix: put a disclaimer that explains in the mobile app, if the amount is entered wrong, you may subjected to a return fee. The app doesn't warn of this, so I believe that there shouldn't be a penalty, and especially, a first time mistake should have no penalty. Have a little compassion and mercy on your customers, not everyone. This unjust penalty hits some of us harder than others.

Citigold Company Information