1.00/5
  • 1 star
Based on 6 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 22, 2017

9 Citigold Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Citigold had closed my account due security reasons of too many logins or something related. I had asked for my check because my payroll was going in there and I needed it for Thanksgiving and bills due. They gave me the runaround and then I had wait 7 business days to get the hold and either 3-5 business days to get my funds or 5-7 business days (I was told both no definite answer). Very displeased with this bank and would never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I am a Citigold member with accounts located at the Amboy Rd. Staten Island branch. Consistently, over the last four years, I have been treated rudely in spite of my Citigold standing. Recently, I needed to deal with an account. I dropped by the branch and noticed the Citigold rep just sitting alone at her desk. I asked if I could see her, she replied she was busy but would see me in five minutes. I waited for 25 minutes and I stuck my head in her office at ask if I should be seeing one of the regular reps who were also doing nothing. To my surprise she told me she was doing something more important. Yikes in running businesses for forty years I never heard someone talk like that to a customer.

I wrote to Citibank and the area manager called me, a lovely woman who had all the right answers. The problem was she did not follow up on any of her promises. I have been able to move 25% of my funds to other banks and hope to be totally out of Citibank within a year. This is a bank that has this Citigold program for it's best customers and then treats then worse than non-Citigold customer. If after spending time going up the line still brought me nothing, why bother? What a pain to move all accounts out plus I sold my stocks they have lost my confidence.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 16, 2017

I closed my checking account with Citi-Bank N.A. The bank did not include my interest earn in my final closing check. I contacted their Citi Gold department but up to today all they keep saying that it's being worked on (NO – Check almost one month later), I was told it's in the mail. When I closed my Citi gold checking, they SHOULD have provided a complete check with earned interest. I have not been getting my statements from them on a monthly cycle, which caused late fees, and then I recently got a statement with a different City and state address to me.

When I complained to Citibank Citi Gold Customer Services about it, they kept telling me the check is on the way. The true fact is that almost a month later and no check. It seems to me that did not do anything. I suspect my mail is going to this address. I want them to pay me my interest with an addition month of interest. I want to find out why they are finally sending my statements with other city and state address to me.

Original review: May 11, 2015

Prior to moving to Medellin, Colombia, I had to find an international bank in order to transfer funds to purchase a house, have access to my money for living etc. so I went into Citibank, received the sales pitch and went for it. I hand carried cash from Wells Fargo to Citibank so there would be no two-week waiting period. Was told my funds would be available the next day, they were not, was told I could do a wire transfer the next day, when I tried to do so, from one Citibank account to another, both in the US I was told I was a new account and could not do that for 3 months. It took me 3 weeks and countless hours on the phone to be able to transfer funds to purchase my home and this would not have been possible without the help of two very helpful supervisors that went out on a limb for me. Was told that I could withdraw up to $2,000 a day, not true.

Every time I used the card or tried to they shut me down and I would have to call and spend hours on the phone. When you do not have dependable phone service this is an hour's long process. I was told I could go into any Citibank in the city and do my banking, huge lie, you cannot do any banking at a Citibank here, only use the ATM. WITH EVERY CALL I REITERATED I DO NOT LIVE IN THE USA. They keep accusing me of fraud because I want to have access to my money, my card is being used outside the U.S., well a world bank should know people are going to use the card outside of the U.S. After my second call this week regarding this situation the fraud supervisor, **, refused to speak with me again because I did not meet her requirements and that I had to go into a bank in the states to resolve this issue.

The only true thing I was told was that I would be charged $30 a month. Citibank has made my life a living hell. So now, here I am in a foreign country, with money in the bank and no access to it and in the position of having to buy a last minute ticket to go to the States to address this issue. DON'T EVEN CONSIDER OPENING A CITIBANK ACCOUNT. What they have done is nothing short of harassment, and to add insult to injury I get to pay a monthly fee for it. No more, I'm done.

Original review: March 2, 2014

This is not huge first time I've had trouble with Citigold. I'm sure they have the call logs to back up my claim about how negligent they can be with people's money, but I am here to finally make some noise, as I do not appreciate that after I have given them opportunity after opportunity to keep me as a customer, and forgive all their mistakes, they are unforgiving when it is you, the customer, who makes an honest mistake.

I've been using their Citi mobile app for over a year, and I've never had any issues, until now. Apparently, I inverted my numbers when entering the dollar amount of my paycheck; it's easy to see how a person could make a mistake like I did, and they hit me with a $20.00 penalty fee for doing so. Do not use the Citi mobile app unless you're certain you won't make a mistake. Isn't the purpose of taking an image of your check for verification purposes, in the event that the customer put the wrong dollar amount into the data entry box? Meaning, they clearly don't operate on an honor system. Furthermore, it's to catch mistakes and fix them, not fix the mistake, and then harshly penalize the customer for making the mistake.

When I go to the teller, and in the rare case I have written the wrong dollar amount on my deposit slip, they call me and tell me the amount was adjusted. There's no penalty issued. Why is it different with their mobile app? Customer service said the amount entered is issued into your account before it's verified. That's not a true statement, and that is not the fault of your customers that the bank doesn't always verify first. When you submit the check image, you will receive an email same day stating the check was "received" and then a day and a half later, if you're lucky, you may receive an email stating that it was deposited in the account. It sounds to me that this is a careful process, not a process where they just put the money into your account without adjusting it first.

An easy fix: put a disclaimer that explains in the mobile app, if the amount is entered wrong, you may subjected to a return fee. The app doesn't warn of this, so I believe that there shouldn't be a penalty, and especially, a first time mistake should have no penalty. Have a little compassion and mercy on your customers, not everyone. This unjust penalty hits some of us harder than others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citigold?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2012

I received a Citibank communication dated 12th of January 2012 stating that I had to close all of my Citibank accounts including several checking accounts, savings account, money market account and an IRA account, no later than February 13th 2012.

Several days later, I received another letter from Citibank indicating that I must close my brokerage accounts, which included an annuity, retirement account, and UGMA accounts for my children. Upon receipt of the first letter, I immediately went to my branch on West 86th Street. NYC and spoke with a Citigold Supervisor who stated that the matter was out of their hands and no explanation was available.

I was instructed to follow-up with the Escalation Unit, first in Tampa, Fl. and then in San Antonio, Texas. I have made no less than 15 calls to Citigold employees and supervisors but to no avail. No one can give me an answer as to why I had to close all of my accounts with Citibank after having had a satisfactory relationship since August 1975, and maintaining numerous accounts. There is a pending investigation with Citibank but I have been informed that according to Citibank's Client, Manuel, that they have the right to terminate the banking relationship and that they do not have to provide any reason or an explanation. I find this to be completely unacceptable.

I filed this complaint in the hope of obtaining an answer as he has lied to me once again stating that this situation would not adversely impact my credit or banking relationship with any other financial/banking institution. When I attempted to open new accounts with TD Bank, I was told that I had been red flagged by their security department and my wife and I were now unable to open new accounts. Please assist me in getting to the bottom of this problem so that the matter can ultimately be resolved.

Original review: May 5, 2010

I am a Citigold member for many years; it’s hard to remember when. Today, my Citigold debit card expired and the new one was not delivered. When I called customer service, they said, “Sorry, sir, it will be delivered to you.” I use my debit card to cash almost daily from my account and I’ve been unable to use it now for one week. I would have expected that a new card would arrive at least 15 days prior to the expiry of the old card to avoid a loyal customer dissatisfaction, but that was not the case, not even an apology for the delay. My account number is in Zamalek branch. I hope that Citi has really customer support not just a slogan on the Web page.

Original review: June 3, 2009

I have been a customer of CitiBank (CitiGold) since 2000. I have used their online banking system for hundreds of wire transfers and recurring payments. On December 6th, a final recurring payment of $3250 was sent, after which I went online and cancelled all future recurring payments. I cancelled and established many recurring payments in the past 8 years without ever having a problem. While reviewing my statement in January, it was apparent that Citibank had sent out another $3250 payment on January 6. Obviously, I contacted them immediately and let them know this was not authorized by me and in fact had been cancelled by me.

After several days of investigating, they said the funds were not retrievable from the other party’s bank. They required that I print out online forms which I provided showing no recurring payment was scheduled. They advised me they could not retrieve my money but assured me this could never happen again. I am retired on a fixed income and do not have the money to hire a lawyer to resolve this issue. On February 6, Citibank again sent out another $3250 and deducted the money from my account leaving me with $700 in my checking account. They could not explain how this happened and replaced the $3250, which I immediately withdrew to meet my other financial obligations. Later, they contacted me to tell me they could again not retrieve my $3250 and said I need to repay them because my account was now minus $3250. Both withdrawals from my account were unauthorized by me. I am still out $3250 from January and now they have closed my account and put me in collections. The total amount of $6500 was my money, which their computers took out of my account without my authorization.

Citibank as a financial institution is responsible for giving away my money. Their online system has no integrity and they cannot validate these transactions in their computer history. Citibank owes me the $3250, which they transferred without my permission. I have a perfect credit history which is now in danger as a result of my being in collections. I cannot afford an attorney as I am 65 and have a limited social security income. They and their online banking system are reckless and a danger to anyone banking with Citibank.

Original review: April 5, 2007

I'm the president of a Danish Company in stanbul Turkey. More that one year ago I had some US dolars of savings. Normally at that time and also now it was not a good idea to invest in US dollars because Turkish Lira keeps gaining value against US dollars but in the past I had some bad experiences with the devaluation so I didn't want to take the risk. Just at that time while I was considering what to do with this money a Citigold executive called me and she said that she has good options for me. I told her that I don't want to take risk and I want to invest in Eurobonds which brings quarterly fixed interest income. She said that Citibank doesn't have eurobonds but she can offer me structured notes that has a little bit higher income than eurobonds and it has no risk. So I accepted and I told again that my investor profile which they made shows also that I'm some who doesn't want to take any risk.

So for the first 2 quarters I got some interest but after that I didn't get any , when I talked to them They said that it's because something(I didn't understand it either) but at the beginning nobody warned me abot such a ting before. They later sent me a letter saying that they didn't made any recommendatiosn to me to buy these notes but I bought them on my free will!!! I cannot sell them either since they lost their value. I'm a citibank customer since many years and I really feel cheated.

Citigold Company Information