3.7/5 (1494 ratings)

About Citibank

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

Customer service is the worst. If they don't the answer they will say “give me a minute” and just forward call to someone else. It is so disrespectful. They keep wasting so much time. Their reward card is everything but not rewarding.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2022

We have had a Discover card for 30 years and have always paid the account in full at the due date, I read about a Citi Bank credit card offer where you would accumulate double points for paying off your account monthly and use your points for purchase or use as money toward your bill, plus they offered $200 cash free if you accumulated 1200 in purchases the first payment period. I did all this only to find out points were worth a penny and you would not get your $200 until one year after your card was effective.

This month we paid our bill 12 days before due date and day before it was due the check had not been applied. I contacted customer service and they stated they received the payment but never applied it because $ was not released by bank. My husband got our bank on the phone and talked with the manager who stated the money was released immediately. The customer service representative gave me a fabricated response and when I asked for a supervisor she left me on hold for several minutes came back and said the supervisor said payment would be credited before midnight tonight, and not to worry about it.

I asked for the management name. They would not give it to me so I asked for his customer service number and they did I also asked for an e-mail confirming what they told me and they said they would send today. I am still waiting for it. Needless to say the credit card is cut in half and I kept my discover and will go back to them in a heartbeat. BEWARE OF CITIBANK!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2022

I am a Citi Mastercard customer. I received an invitation by email to open a high-yield savings account. I tried 8 times to do this using the link provided. Each time it did not work and said to call customer service. Called this number many times and only get foreigners who I can't understand. Each of them gave a different reason why it didn't work and transfer me around. Don't trust this bank, they will not honor promises and have no customer service.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

I have had a Citibank account since 2014 and they keep going downhill by discontinuing services. Like no more secure messaging. Also linking external accounts with their PLAID system is a big hassle. Customer service sounds like it's in India. They cheap out and charge you any way they can.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

We received an offer from Citibank to open a checking account and fund the account with $75000.00 and we will receive a bonus of $1000.00 in 60 days. After the sixty days had passed I called to follow up with them, they kept passing me from one department to another and then they came up with the excuse that they have to file an investigation with their back office to open a dispute. I think this ban is a complete fraud, they have not paid me my bonus, they have had my money for more than three months and have no clear answer but just to say they need to investigate my case. I think the feds should be investigating this bank. Please do not bank with this company. Please look at the below offer and see for yourself.

Simple steps to earn your Cash Bonus

EARN$1,500

$200,000

EARN$2,000

$300,000

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

3 months again I was scammed on my Zelle for 750.00 and Citibank was supposed to investigate, well they came back and told me that because I sent the money it was on me. Well I should’ve left then. Well today my husband made a mistake depositing the wrong check in my account, instead of them calling me or contacting me, I call them soon as I found out, they closed all my accounts and now I’m afraid they not gonna let my rent check go thru. This is the worst bank ever. No compassion at all. Cold heart and doesn’t take the time to speak or try to fix the problem. I will be uploading all the calls I recorded of them.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

I filed a dispute for fraud on my account and then Citibank turned me “ the account holder” into the fraudster. Citi bank locked me out of my accounts after filing a dispute… stating I couldn’t provide the correct answer for a security word. I have never set up a security word or question and have never been asked for one until this time… understandable due to a report of fraud. I immediately went to a branch to confirm my identity and verify account information on November 19, 2022. I received my new bank card 11/22/22, activated it and again went to the branch after attempting to access online banking which I was not able to do.

Left the bank with access to online banking and later attempted to make a purchase which was unsuccessful. I called customer service whom laughed in my face, made sarcastic statements, and hung up in my face after waiting over 2hours for help. During this entire time I had access to at least view my account… after they hung up in my face I no longer was able to see my balance or use online banking. The representatives were attempting to verify my accounts with a phone number that I numerously stated to them was no longer in service. I had updated my current phone number when I visited the bank that day on 11/22/22.

The rep named Levenkee stated to me to update my phone number with “public records” which I have never heard and actually is really absurd … because how. Stating the service they use cannot verify my phone number and to call back to speak with someone else. I requested a supervisor who, when answered, went by the name Mark and hung up on me. After the call I no longer had access to my account online but the representatives only attempted to verify my accounts information via telephone number and a security question/word… which Later was given a hint for and answered successfully. When I gave them my mother's maiden name, they told me that answer was wrong… on their w.

There were several other ways such as ssn, email, recent transactions, etc. If someone calls in with my phone number that is no longer mine… they can access my account information. On their web page it states that I can contact them if the answer to the question has been forgotten “although I never set this up” and I did not get that help. They passed me around and blocked my access

On November 23 I went into the branch 3 different times and was not allowed access to my account, even in person after providing My Identification. I had To Reach out to the executive response team who did help get the account access restored on my 3rd visit that day. On November 29th a transaction was declined for a little under $500 to pay a bill online. I was out of town and when I called customer service once again they told me that they could not help me and that I needed to call back with a verified number. The number listed on my account is my own, and was updated at the branch. It's not at all my fault that whatever service Citibank is using can't send me a text.

Here I am out of town without access to my funds. This bank plays with people's livelihood. The reps told me again to wait to receive a letter with a reference number, while in the meantime unable to use my account. I went to a branch once I made it home, asked to withdraw my money and was denied. Once again IN PERSON. The process is absolutely ridiculous. After all of the information used to obtain an account, Citibank decides that the only means to verify an individual's identity is by a phone number, which can change often. None of this would have been that much of a huge deal if I were able to go into a branch and verify myself, withdraw from my account, while awaiting a notice. However that was also made difficult, as I was denied access to my account in person multiple times. SAVE YOURSELF, You cannot report fraudulent activity if it should ever occur. You will certainly be treated like the person committing the fraud.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

My husband has banked with Citibank for 30 years and recently added me to his account. I beg him to go elsewhere. Every single time there is an issue they transfer you and transfer you and never resolve the issue. We spend HOURS on the phone with them. They even allowed a fraudulent $10k transfer despite answering, "No. I did not authorize!" Case still pending 6 months later. Call center in Philippines.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

There are many banks to choose from. Save yourself time and effort and opt for any bank other than Citi. It is impossible to receive service from them despite their slogans about customer service and various pledges.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

I have two companies each with a Citibank checking account. The two entities are within two miles of each other and both use the same branch, also with those two miles. Both accounts were set up by the same individual at the same time. On October 5, my one account wire $3500 to the other account as payment for services. This wire has been stuck in Citibank's review process since and has been at the 'highest' review level for weeks. None of the participants are on the OFAC list. The same wire has gone through half a dozen times since the accounts were set up.

First this should never have happened on an inter-bank wire. Second, a bank the size of Citi should have reviewed and released within a week not two months and counting. With over 30 hours of holding, being hung up on and attempting to communicate with agents with an extremely poor command of the English language, I've not spoken to anyone who seems to really give a damn. Their go to answer is 'we do not know anything and we do not know when it will be fixed'. This is a small amount of money, what if it were $500,000 that this hold would have destroyed our cash flow and put us out of business? The worst banking experience I have ever had.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

I'll try to keep it short, I make 300k plus and have several Credit Cards. CITI has my line of credit at 1000, yes, you read that right, I make that in a day as sad as it sounds. I'd like to cancel it but don't want to ding my credit score so I am stuck with this crap of a credit card where I'll have to buy a pack of gum every few months. Don't bother with this one.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I applied for a Citibank credit card today, so that I could have access to a concert presale that is only available to Citibank credit card holders. I explained to the rep that I needed access to my account today and she told me that she would be able to provide me with the new account information over the phone as soon as I was approved. I wanted to make sure, so she confirmed this several more times before we proceeded. She even switched me to a card that would give me instant access to my account upon aproval. I applied over the phone with her and was approved. She then tried to quickly end the call. I asked her for my account information and she stated that she couldn't give me that information and I would have to wait 7-10 days for my card to come in the mail. She then said that if I had applied online, I would have been able to access that information, but since I did it by phone, she couldn't help me.

I asked her why she confirmed with me no less than 3 times before I applied that she would be able to give me the account information over the phone as soon as I was approved and she had no answer. I then spoke to a supervisor who told me that there was nothing she could do, but she would be sure to reprimand the person who took my application. I stated that none of that helps me in my situation, but she said that there was nothing she could do for me. All of the bank's customer service is located in the Philippines and they clearly cannot understand English. They were unable to do anything to help me. When I stated that I wanted to cancel the card, they told me that I would have to wait the 7-10 days for the card to come in the mail in order to cancel.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

On 10/24/22 I opened a savings account with Citibank with my online access (have been a credit card holder for more than 31 years). I transferred $20,000 from my local bank to fund this account. However, before the saving account could be funded it was closed by Citibank. Upon finding out the account was closed, I attempted to stop the transfer from my local bank, but was unable to get it stopped. The transfer occurred on 10/26. Now after more than 30 hours of phone conversations with Citibank customer service reps/supervisions I and am still without the money and have no idea when I will be receiving it.

I have been told numerous story of how long it will be, but no concrete information. I have been transferred and disconnected numerous times from them. I rarely ever get to speak with anyone who speaks English well or who wants to help me. I believe Citibank is making money off my $20,000, interest I should be earning. My five year old grandson speaks better English and has more customer skill than 90% of the CitiBank employees I have dealt with. I am extremely disappointed with the go-around I have been getting. All I want is my $20,000 back! Have recently reported Citibank to a couple of government regulators (OCC, and CFPB). I hope Citibank gets what's coming to them. They act like they are bulletproof.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

My wife main account was named as a fraudulent account because of a void check paid by a customer. She was a join in my account and once Citibank decided to closed her account my account who was different but her was in also was closed. I never received a warning or something letting me know the situation and I was super surprised how was possible that they close everything just for a void check. They take actions without notifying the customer and in my opinion they should gave me a option if a want to continue with my account without her or closed permanently. So please if you can choose any bank that it not related with Citibank do it, don’t get close to Citibank even to cashed a check. Avoid any bad moments.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I recently made a payment on the 9th for my credit card. While on the chat app with customer service I was told that the payment would be applied to my balance on the 24th automatically (2weeks) however if I waited 2 business days and called with a verbal confirmation the customer service team could contact my bank, confirm the payment and release the funds that day. I called in 2 business days and a nice lady informed me it would take 1 more day for the payment to be confirmed. I waited 1 day and called yesterday and the customer service rep I talked to said it would still need another day.

Today I called twice, the first person I talked to named Brandon informed me that the company never does that and they aren’t allowed to make outbound calls. Directly contradicting what the last 3 reps told me over the phone as well as a chat that I have screenshots of where the rep tells me they do it all the time. But Brandon was not very attentive (took about 10 seconds to say anything after every question I asked, clearly preoccupied with something) so I assumed he just was not the best employee so I decided to hang up on him and call right back. The next person I spoke to today said it would take a little longer to confirm and I should call back in 2 days. At this point I’m ready to just wait the 2 weeks they said as everyone is clearly operating off their own scripts and nobody can give me a clear answer as to what I’m waiting for.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Will not Citibank at all as it’s customer’s service is worst in all bank. For KYC they will waste your whole day asking again and again. Total waste of time instead try other bank. Recently I did but wasted my time.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

This service is beyond Terrible. My mother has dementia and someone got into our joint account and closed the account via online. I notified the fraud department and talked to 5 different people and received 5 different answers. The account was closed online but I was told that I had to go into the branch to prove that I was the legitimate account holder, who was authorized on the closed account. They refused to give me any information related to who closed the account or where the money was transferred too. When I asked to speak with the supervisor's supervisor, the 5th person who said he was a supervisor, said "Just go to a branch, thank you" and hung up.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

I am using Citi business card for more than 15 years, and one day Citibank canceled my card with no reason. And I did contact Citibank hotline immediately, but they can’t help anymore. I can’t use the Citi app or internet banking to check my card statement. And also from the date Citibank canceled my card, I did not receive any hard copy statement. Until I spend my time to go down Citibank branch at Jurong East, they helped me, print out my bank statement. They try to help me use bank transfer to my card, it is unsuccessful. Finally, withdraw cash from another local bank and do bank in the outstanding amount by Citibank ATM. But unfortunately I found Citibank charge me late payment and account service fee, which is so unreasonable.

I have been called as loyalty customer by Citibank for more than 15 years, I did not expect Citibank denies my request, even though I paid all of the expenses already. I did not expect them to be so merciless and heartless to ignore my request. I have been to their branch settle down all my bills yesterday and the officers in that branch claimed that they understand my situation, and somehow, it's Citibank's mistake. Firstly, they never send me any hard my statement copies to me after they cancelled my card. They cancel my card earlier in October, yet, they did not send me any soft and hard copy to me. This is their mistake. Secondly, I do contact them before the due date but can't go through their hotline, they said they can't help me in that hotline. And I tried other numbers they provide which is not works properly also.

Thirdly, I can't do any bank transactions to make payment as you closed my account. Lastly, with the branch officers help I finally settle my bill through your ATM machine. With these reasons how could you ask me to pay your late and finance charges. Anyway I believe Citibank is global company, they will settle this for their customers to avoid any similar things happen again. I would like to ask your help to waive the late and finance charges on me. I am very disappointed and I lost my trust and loyalty for Citibank. I did not believe I trusted you for so many years.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

Stay away from this bank at all cost. Their fraud department is a joke. They have 11,000 of mine frozen for suspicious deposit for over 2 1/2 months now. With no proof of any fraud. Cause there is none. I have known the person that gave me the check for several years and have received many checks from them. With over 20 hrs. of mine being on hold, and being hung up on. Customer service is very disrespectful. They always say a supervisor will call me but still have not received one phone.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

So I downloaded the Citibank mobile App just today (account opened months ago). I entered my username and my password and waited for them to send me a code to my cell. Since the code never came, the computer logged me out. I did that two times the code never came, so I called Citibank customer service. They finally sent me a code but when I entered the code it came up error code "MFA." I was then told unless I had my debit card and could give them the code on the back, they could not give me access to my account or correct the problem! Seriously!

My card was in my safe deposit box where it was safe. So they're mailing me access number, so I can access the funds in MY account via snail mail! Excuse me, Citibank is the only bank account that couldn't verify who I was with by my email address or by sending me a text. BTW, I even talked with a supervisor Mat. When the whole problem started because they never sent me a code like they were supposed to in the first place from their website. How convenient!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

Prior to receiving the following notice regarding the delay in the availability of my funds from a check that I deposited through the mobile app, I learned that the check CLEARED. Mind you, the payor of this check was a federal gov't office. “The following longer delays will apply (because these deposits may be returned for the reasons indicated). Amount Being Delayed: $1,069.88, Date Available: November 11, 2022, Reason for Delay: "We have confidential information indicating the check may not be paid.” If I could give “0” stars, I would.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Customer service in Philippines. VoIP is poor, cutting off plus Philippines don’t understand you. No ATMs. No offices around Vacaville. All ATMs are in 7/11, no cash in option. No signs that it’s Citi (7/11 signs on the screen). The Philippine representative said they have office in Fresno. Or I can do deposit via Western Union.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Pros: Any and all disputed charges were fixed in a week, via the website. Cons: Don't think that customer service will assist you with any issues. On the phone or chat. High interest rates 15%+, and by all means do not miss a payment. They will slam your valuable, lifelong building credit score and/or reduce your limit.

Free advise, pay off the balance and cut the card into pieces. Block em on your email and phone. They should be investigated by the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Do not use this bank. Their online systems do not work. I tried unsuccessfully for 2 days to open an account and the experience taught me that I absolutely should not have any dealings with this enterprise. The system aborted repeated attempts on different days to open an account. I could not establish contact by means of any "Contact Us" links. I finally got hold of a person who informed me that she could not handle international banking and transferred me to a number that kept asking me for my account number. I am glad I found out how bad this company is before I opened an account. They obviously do not want any new customers.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

This bank offers a rate, enticing you to deposit your money, then they do not pay anything close to the advertised rate. In October, 2022, they advertised a 2.20% interest on their accelerated banking account. What they actually paid was around 1.70%. I would not recommend conducting business with them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I tried to withdraw my money from my savings account, but the automated system wouldn't allow me to do due to a system error, so I called customer service... 4 hours later, after the greatest runaround I've ever experienced in my life from a company, I was no closer to getting my money out of the account than I was at the start. I have never encountered a more incompetent, unprofessional, or downright unintelligent customer service team than Citibank's, and I'm shocked that they haven't been put out of business by how badly they treat their customers. If I could give 0 stars, I gladly would.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

Don’t trust Citibank. Doesn’t matter how good of a history you have with this company. Good credit limit, great payment history with this company doesn’t matter. My whole family had COVID, I had two neck surgeries, a back surgery, physical therapy, several epidurals and all the diagnostic procedures necessary. Yes I depleted my savings and had a few medical bills go to collections which I have paid. And yet Citi did a review and dropped my line of credit over $9,000, even though I had great payment history with them, dropping my credit score and making it harder to recover. Why? Because this company can care less about their customers. I’m going to cancel both my cc and savings account and I advise you to take your money elsewhere. Btw I called after the credit reduction and was told they couldn’t fix this and referred me to a 866 number to resolve, yeah that was Equifax. See, your history with them means zip.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

Citi froze my checking account without any explanation. I had received emails and text messages asking to verify the validity of recent purchases and I green lit all of them. Didn't matter. Account still got frozen. As a preferred/VIP customer I did not even get a phone call or email that my account was going to be frozen, so all the checks I had written that week bounced and my clients were all hit with fees. Citi eventually unfroze my account, still offered no explanation as to why and refused to reimburse me for the fees I had to make up to my clients. Disgusting. Off to Chase I go!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

Carrollton Texas, checking account. I opened an acct 2 weeks ago and within a week Citi closed my account terminating my relationship with them for no valid reason. My new acct was opened and I only had access to my online acct which I was able to set up direct deposit and Zelle. Within 2 days from activating my online access I paid my rent using my bank acct number because I did not have my debit card. That is the only transaction besides the Zele transaction I made to acct to pay my rent via bank acct and the next day I get an email that my acct is being closed due to me violating my terms per client manual.

So my rent didn’t go through because they froze my acct and they almost caused me to get evicted from my home. I had no extra $2000 laying around and I had to borrow to get my rent paid while they are holding my money and advising me I have to wait 60 days for my money. It is unfair and they don’t care about their customers. I called every day and they gave me run around and even hung up on me multiple times and I was very professional but I’m tired of them treating me like I don't matter. It is upsetting that a bank can hold your money without giving you a valid reason. It’s day 9 and still have gotten nowhere with Citibank. There is no local bank in my state so my hands are tied. Citibank is the worst bank and I plea that no one deals with them. They do not care for their clients and they discriminate.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022
Last March, Citibank sent me an offer of a bonus if I deposited so much money into a new account, and they would proportionately bonus it, which I put in $50,000. So, the bonus was to be $700 if I left it in for 60 days. But after 90 days, I called, and they said, “Well, it’s gonna take a little longer to get your bonus.” After another month, after four months, I called again and want to know where the bonus was. They said, “Well, you didn’t fill out the proper form.” Well, promptly, I said, “Send me the form.” This is the first mention of a W-9 form. I filled out the form, sent it in. Another month passed, and I called again. They said, “You filled out the form improperly.” They never told me this. So finally, I’m disgusted. At this time, they have held my $50,000 for seven months, from March the 3rd to the end of September. So, I said, “Send my money back.” And I made a complaint to some consumer organization. They responded, “Well, he didn’t fill out the proper form, so we didn’t pay him the bonus.” This bank is crooked. This was a come-on. They never mentioned this form to begin with. They sent my $50,000 back after having it seven months, instead of the agreed-upon two months. So now, I am out any interest for that money for seven months. I have a credit card with this company that I put on approximately $5,000 to $7,000 each month, charges on my credit card. So, they’re gonna lose that business because I certainly will not do business with a company that is so crooked. So, that is my story with Citibank.

Citibank Company Information