3.7/5 (1430 ratings)

About Citibank

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: June 3, 2022

June 1st 2022, I check to make sure a regularly scheduled direct deposit from my paycheck made it into my account (this has been an automated recurring payment twice monthly since March), only to find that my savings account is tagged with "account blocked" in red letters...no indication as to why. I use the chat function to ask why it's blocked and am told to contact the Fraud Servicing Unit. I call the next day, get someone who tells me they can't help me, put on hold for over an hour and speak to another associate who tells me my account is blocked and flagged for cancellation and I will receive a check with my money in 30-60 days.

When I asked why my account has been flagged for cancellation she tells me there is nothing more she can tell me, says goodbye, and disconnects the line. Confused, I call the customer service number to try to get some more clarity and am told the exact same thing. If this was my only banking resource, that would be a nightmare! How would someone in that situation pay their bills? Why is this legal? No previous communication that my account would be closed? Just wait 60 days and hopefully get a check in the mail?

Original review: June 1, 2022

Citibank is the worst banking institution of my life. People hardly speak English, they are not helpful, don't how to resolve your problems so you get transferred from one hardly speaking English department to another. Expect being on hold for over 45 minutes. They closed my checking account for no reason without even letting me know about it. I couldn't transfer any money from my savings. Also my ATM card was blocked several times so I couldn't withdraw any money from my account. Had to go home and spend 15 to 20 minutes trying to unblock it. Save yourself headaches and frustration. Don't do any business with this bank.

Original review: May 30, 2022

I have not been a Citi bank customer very long but have already experienced huge problems three times since having a credit card with this financial company. It’s May 2022 and this is the third time the fraud department has closed the account for strange activity. The customer service is terrible and the representatives are offshore in Pakistan with heavy accents and poor English skills. Also according to Citi bank I can’t close the account until the fraud department completes the investigation. Citi bank has been nothing but horrible and I definitely won’t be using this bank in the future. And I will be closing the account.

Original review: May 30, 2022

I would like to share one of the worst experience with Citibank. On 27 May 2022 I had sent a office boy with the Citibank statement to be signed and stamped for visa purpose. 1. When he approached first she told him get an authority letter then she will be able to give the statement. 2. I drafted the letter sent the boss who was out of the country to sign and send. 3. The next day the office boy went to the branch. She saw the letter and mentioned the bearer name is required with identity proof. 4 . I had to prepare another letter mentioning the office boy's name as authorised. 5. After doing this exercise for the 2nd day, the Citi staff says, "Sorry we don't accept digital signature." When she saw the letter why the hell she couldn't tell that digital signature is not accepted. The attitude of the staff from fort branch, bora bora market was very bad and rude. I urge the Citibank personnel to take strict action against this staff and keep some trained personnel to give proper instructions and avoid hassles.

Original review: May 23, 2022

I signed up for Citibank credit during a promotion. Spend $4K in three months and redeem 60k miles. When I called to redeem, they refused to say that there was no promotion. When I was on the phone, the rep accidentally muted the call so I couldn't hear. Citibank never calls you back even if they hang up on you, you have to call back and start the conversation all over. Citibank is run by criminals.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I had horrible experience with the Citibank double cash MasterCard. The fraud department kept blocking my transaction multiple times even after verifying with them even speaking with two fraud specialist supervisors. Instead of helping me they even cutoff my online access! Took me over an hour and two attempts to call them just to pay off a little balance I had so they will not get any interest on it. After I get the reward money sent to me I will be closing this account. Be aware of terrible service from citibank's fraud department! As there are many other cards with better rewards and service options stay away from citibank's products. Please do your research and see how many complains people are having with online access and other things.

Original review: May 16, 2022

Unable to use Shop Your Way Mastercard on initial purchase despite having info. -- Items removed from cart as soon as put in (they provide the info. but make it impossible to enter it/use it on the order). Inquired on promotion after received card with no information on it, answering in past tense will not confirm promotion through chat (it is supposed be valid for 30 days). Told me to call, they won't even confirm when the account was opened. Very unprofessional. Citibank has a history of using these call centers. All they needed to do was to tell me the promotion is active on the account. Again, fishy, totally unacceptable contact.

Original review: May 12, 2022

On 4/18/22, my living room TV decided to die. I was not in a financial position to replace it or in a medical condition to carry a TV back and forth between rooms every day. I applied for a line of credit on the Best Buy website. I was prompted to call Citibank. On that call, the agent informed me I was approved for a credit card and asked if I wanted the BB logo or Citibank logo. I requested Citibank. Multiple times I asked if this was a regular credit card; I DO NOT want an in-store card only. I was assured this was a regular credit card. Card arrived. BB in-store only. Requested an investigation of fraud. I was lied to to get me to agree to a card I explicitly stated I didn’t want.

Today, I received a call telling me the phone conversation I had apparently was all in my head; that I declined the BB Visa card. I was never offered that card. I told the agent he did not hear what he’s reporting. He continued to lie about the recorded call and told me I could cancel this credit card. Cancel a card I just got? Hello, credit hit! Now, I’m trapped unless the Fed responds to my complaint. Even worse, one of the reps told me she had received several similar complaints that week. What they get you to agree to, they don’t give you and you’re locked in. The agent today literally tried to gaslight me. I know what was said on that call. He denied that’s what he heard. Case closed. How is this bank still in operation?? BEWARE! No line of credit is worth this risk.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I have only one relationship with Citi, a double cash MasterCard. So they sent me this offer for the Accelerate savings account, earning 0.60%. With my current credit union I am only getting 0.05. I planned on sending over $75k right away. The website blocked me from opening the account online due to ‘security reasons’. What? When I call the girl is asking for all my personal info. I’m like you have all that already. She tells me that they cannot see my credit card profile in retail banking, and we’d proceed as if I was not a bank client. I said, "So I will have two customer profiles with the same info?" Yes was the reply. I asked, "What if I opened 6 products, would you have my SSN on file 6 times?" Of course she couldn’t answer that. In the end their total ineptitude prevented me from placing 75k in their bank. After reading these reviews, I’m glad they couldn’t make it work!

Original review: May 3, 2022

I opened the account on December 22, 2021 for the promotion $700.00 with deposit amount of $50,000.00. I read the fine print and I also talked to the banker. So, my understanding was that April 27, 2022, I will receive the $700 promotion. Well, I was wrong. I was on the phone with Citibank customer care, they couldn't do anything. I called the branch/San Marcos CA, and they could not do anything and they said that will call me in few weeks. Citibank has my money for over 130 days and I have not received the promotion was promised. Where do you complain about the ethics and false advertising of the Citibank?

Original review: May 2, 2022

Worst bank I’ve ever dealt with in 59 years. STAY AWAY no matter how much interest they offer you - it’s not worth it!!! Froze my account without telling me for months. Trying to get it unfrozen but their “fraud department” is only in the Philippines (amazingly ironic, no??!!) - After waiting on hold for hours, constantly getting my calls dropped, finally getting a person, only to be stymied by impossible-to-understand accents, dime-store headsets, a 5-second delay, and the worst overseas garbled connection ever, after days of this, I still haven’t been able to get my account unlocked so I can retrieve my money and close my accounts from this god-awful bank.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I started a new job and my company sent me a paper check to deposit funds into my account. The check was to buy my office supplies as I work remotely. The check was originally uploaded via mobile check deposit. After processing for two days, I got an email stating that the check was not readable. So I drove an hour away from my house to the nearest branch and deposited the check with a teller. The teller told me the check would be under a 7-day hold and funds would be released in chunks with the entire remaining amount released on the 7th day. Okay fine, not a big deal but a hindrance to my onboarding process.

I waited 2 days and received an email that stated my account is being restricted pending closure. Keep in mind during this time I had my last check deposited from my old company. Luckily I was able to use my card that Friday and pay my bills prior to my account being completely restricted. My online banking was frozen, my debit card was frozen, and I was not able to access any of my funds. Since it was a Friday afternoon I was waiting on the phone to get ahold of someone for about 45 minutes only to be transferred to a department that was closed. I would think that all employees would be trained to know different department hours but I guess not.

The next day I called the number again since they were open Saturday. I got through to someone and she explained she would get me directly over to the department that handles it she explained they know of my issue and have my account pulled up. She dropped off the call stating I would be on hold for 3-5 minutes. I was on hold for an hour and a half.

I was told that my account was being closed due to fraud. I asked the representative to explain further. She told me the check I deposited from my company was a counterfeit check. I had no option to keep the account open. I now have to wait 60 days for my account to close. I also have to wait to receive a check for any funds that were in my account. Worst bank ever!

Original review: April 29, 2022

I faced this when I changed my employer. They told me that they are blocking my card. When I will get new Visa and EID just upload it. It will be unblocked. I did then after I followed with then every time I make calls I heard different requirements. Still I provided. After providing my passport, Visa, EID, salary certificate, 3 month of bank statement, still they asked me to wait. Still under process. I want centre bank to take some action on such kind of mental harassment by Citibank. Otherwise there will be many more customer who are facing it. Unable to get right way to inform there issues again. Very pathetic bank and their service.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I opened up a Citi checking account because of a special offer I got because I have a Citi card. It has been a nightmare. I kept getting an error when I tried to fund the account from my external (non-citi bank). After 4 hours and 22 minutes on hold (three separate calls), I was transferred to tech support. They got me to a different interface and had me connect my account and make the $10,000 transfer.

Today, I go in and the transfer is not showing - nothing. Even the linked bank account is gone. I check my non-citi bank and the $10,000 has come out. I call Citi and they say they have no record of the transfer. I give them the tracing number and the item number from the email sent from Citi verifying the transfer. Their response - "We should be seeing it, but we are not. Just wait 1-2 days and it should show up in your account." REALLY!!! This is $10,000 that they have absolutely no record of me transferring to their system. They cannot look it up using the item number from the email that was generated from THEIR system! This is total fraud. Beware if you choose to get a checking or savings account with Citi.

Resolution response: April 29, 2022

Update. They called yesterday and have said they are sending a check...

Original review: April 28, 2022

I signed up for a promotion where if I gave Citibank 100k I would receive 700.00 after 90 days plus a small waiting period. I 1st transferred 25.00 to make sure everything went smoothly. It did not. Citi denied they had the funds. I had Mastercard open an investigation and yes they did. I then spent hours on hold to get a representative to tell me I completed eligibility for the promotion. He said yes and gave me a date when to expect it. I then called back to ask about transferring money and another operator said I did not meet eligibility. Hours of trying to get a straight answer. Had to write the Better Business Bureau to get a call back. Said yes no problem. Told me I needed to fill out a tax form that nobody had ever given to me. Did that. A week after I was supposed to get funds. Nothing.

I called executive customer care. Was told the agent was off to lunch, then off for the day. No call back. Then told I needed to do the form which I pointed out I did. Then the agent said she had phone trouble. I got a call from a different agent who said she couldn't help me but that my assigned agent was having phone trouble and would call me. She didn't call me. Citi has 130k of my money but has yet to call me back about their promised promotion after 2 weeks past when they said I would get it.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I spent the last 2 hours trying to login into my account, three different customer service representative (the last one was technical support) and the only thing that I got is that the bank had my information wrong and that why troubleshooting doesn't work, they uploaded my ITIN number instead of the SSN and that's why when I typed the required SSN my account got locked because it was the wrong information. They didn't even mentioned they will correct the issue, the solution was to use anything else but not the SSN. So they identify the problem, but they won't correct it. Worst Service!! Not to mention how difficult was to understand them.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Worse bank I have dealt with in over 40 years. Almost none of their "Agents" speak English as their first language. Two IT techs hung up on me. I signed up because of a promise of a $300 bonus. CitiBank then linked my Citi credit card to the savings account and deleted my link to another bank that I usually use to pay the credit card without my knowledge. As a result of paying the credit card I became ineligible for the $300 bonus.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Recently opened a Citi Diamond Preferred Credit Card. Used it twice and paid off the balance. Days later I have an alert that says that I need to call them immediately about activity on my account, which amounted to 2 x USD42.00ish purchases. I call on three separate occasions where I am greeted by outsourced Customer Support that only loosely speaks English. I work with offshore Development Teams and can traditionally navigate the language barrier but the first two Reps quite literally did not speak English.

After some back and forth I discern that they are requesting that in order to verify my account, I provide them a phone number so that they can send me a code--not abnormal, except that both my personal and work cell phones are not "eligible" to receive the code. What? They then ask me to provide them Card Numbers from different Banks. Yes, you read that right: a Credit Card company wanted me to provide Card Numbers from competing institutions over the phone. I declined. The third option they provided is to mail me a letter from which I can verify my account. I request to speak to a Supervisor, the Supervisor hangs up on me such as the first Customer Support Rep did when he couldn't figure out how to verify my account. I am a little shell shocked and concerned that this company has my Social Security number.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Citibank Mastercard has lost my business. I spoke to 8 (count 'em, eight) customer "service" reps to ask about changing the name on my card from personal to business, spent a few hours on the phone, and sent in a name change request form. Today I got a letter stating that the account had been closed. I called and spoke to a ninth rep who immediately told me that they cannot change a tax ID and that I had to apply for another card. Why didn't they tell me this 8 reps and several phone calls ago when I explained the situation to them?

Original review: April 7, 2022

I don't normally go out of my way to put up reviews, but I am compelled to. I have such frustrating experiences with Citi. With credit cards: very often their "security feature" declines your purchase both online and offline. I experience this multiple times a year and it gets frustrating when you are out shopping to treat yourself and this happens. Their saving account (Accelerate savings): they make it really easy to deposit money, but very hard to withdraw your own money. Even when you try to withdraw there are daily, monthly restrictions. Want to close account? You must call them and wait in line for a long time. Citi makes BOA look like an angel.

Original review: April 2, 2022

CitiBank is by far THE WORST bank I have ever experienced in the last 20 years!! My mom learned about its new promotion recently. She transferred and saved a large amount of money into a newly opened CitiBank checking account. However, after the bank received these transactions, the bank said due to the fraud issue, they decided to block her account for 30-60 days to do the investigation. So far after 31 days, our several calls plus twice local bank visits to provide required documents, her account is still blocked that she cannot withdraw her own money. Obviously the bank is using the "Fraud" excuse to take advantage of consumers' money for its own pockets. Definitely I do not recommend anyone to invest or save money in this bank.

Original review: March 31, 2022

CitiBank is by far THE WORST bank I have ever banked with!! They constantly deny transactions made with my card and then when I call to find out why they give me no info. They just tell me “everything is fine on our end and there are no restrictions on your account”. After arguing long enough they send me to the fraud/loss prevention team just for them to claim I am “not a verified customer” and hang up on me. I have been with them for 6 months and have already switched to another bank. Definitely do not recommend them unless you want every other transaction to give you a fraud warning.

Original review: March 26, 2022

CITIBANK STOLE INTEREST MONEY AND ARE REFUSING TO PAY IT BACK. I opened a Citibank High Interest Savings account online which didn't have a Middle Name field so they rejected my LEGAL W9 Federal Tax withholding form and took out Federal Taxes ILLEGALLY! It took them 2 years to CORRECT NAME on the account and stop taking Federal Taxes out and now they're refusing to re-imburse me for all of the lost compound interest!! Their customer service is HORRIBLE!! I can't tell you how many times they've hung up on me!! One manager wouldn't stop gaslighting me, belittling me and being absolutely RUDE like I was his spouse he abused!!

It was ME who figured out their Software SECURITY FAILURE of not getting the Middle Name and they NEVER FIXED THE PROBLEM leaving all other customers screwed like I was! Then they tell me to go into a branch to fix their screw up but the closet branch from Portland Oregon is South Dakota... I'm not driving 1400 miles to get the money they owe me!!! This is a HORRIBLE COMPANY who steals from their customers and makes it IMPOSSIBLE TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK!!!

Original review: March 24, 2022

Citibank offers balance dependent bonus each quarter for new savings. The steps for getting bonus are shown on the first three pages of the offer. You are required to enroll the offer, open a new savings account, fund the account within 20 days of account opening, and keep the balance for 60 consecutive days. In the past, the required “60 days” were counted from the day when your deposit is made. However, from 3rd quarter 2021, CitiBank changed the way for counting the required “60 days”. The new way is to count the “60 days” from the first day after the 20th day you opened the account. It means if you fund the account right after the new savings account is opened, you need to keep the balance for 81 days, instead of 60 days, to get the bonus.

For this change, what CitiBank did is to remain the first three pages unchanged, which look exactly the same as before. Big size and bold letters are used. The change is only made on another page, using small size letters. When you read the steps for getting bonus on the first three pages, you don’t see any change at all. It shows you only need to keep the balance for 60 days to get the bonus. Neither “a star” nor “a number” is added on the upright corner of “60 days”. Otherwise, it can lead the customers to the details about the change for counting days.

I was a loyal Citi Priority customer for more than 10 years, over trusted CitiBank, and lost vigilance. I didn’t think CitiBank would do such things. I enrolled 3rd quarter bonus offer last year. Since I get used to making deposit right after the account is opened, although the balance maintained on the new savings account for more than 60 days, no bonus is gotten. In addition, I lost the interest for two months. CitiBank’s interest rate is much lower than the rate of online savings. I am wondering if CitiBank was intended to do such a way to make a change, so that funds can be collected, but no bonus is needed to pay.

Original review: March 22, 2022

Please run away from this bank as fast as you can!! It is a deplorable financial institution that operates on the premise of defrauding consumers out of money to fill their own pockets. I was a customer for 16 years until the breakdown of this now ill-reputed bank. Also, against the law, they should not withhold funds from anyone being paid through the US Treasury. The latest and greatest disaster with this bank is that they sent me a check earlier this month from my closed account in the amount of $1221.87. Later I discover that this check is no good as I try to cash it and do a mobile deposit.

I called about this and was on the phone for hours, got transferred, and hung up on. Not to mention the amount of lies each representative tells; each one is different. I was told I need to mail the check back to them in order to deposit it, or use and ATM. There is no Citi ATM in my area that I wouldn't use anyway for this. There is no Citibank for thousands of miles from me. Why are they mailing me a check so I can mail it back for deposit?

This is ** backwards and a tactic to hold on to peopIe's money until they think consumers give up and let them have the money. I was also told that I wouldn't be able to do a mobile deposit for 90 days. So, a long story short, they are still holding my money and doing with a different scheme. I try to do a dispute about this and of course they would not initiate one. I told the representatives I would file a police report on this bank for fraudulent activity. I told them I want them to cancel this check and provide me the funds in my recently opened account. People are fed up with this bank and all of their messiness. I don't have enough words to express how low and disgusting this is. They all need to go to jail if you ask me. This is going to come back to haunt them, and I hope sooner than later!!

Original review: March 21, 2022

I received a text message regarding fraud on a Citi account and suspected it was a scam. Called Citibank and went through endless phone tree and 10 minute hold. Twice. Agent could barely speak English, was nearly unintelligible and didn't understand what I was saying. NO NUMBER IS LISTED TO CALL CITI REGARDING SCAMS.

Original review: March 16, 2022

*Sorry for the long post*. I've never had such a hard time paying off a COLLECTION debt! I've been trying to pay off my debt since January but there is always something. In January when I called they said that the account was under "fraud investigation"- never explained! They said call back in 3- 5 days. I waited over a week to call back-nothing was resolved. I called again in February- the account was still under investigation!

To this point I'm feeling frustrated. I called this week to pay (months later) and it was finally cleared and I was able to "pay" the debt, well that's what I thought. I gave them my information - the information didn't go through-they said I had to call my bank to get it "approved" and to call tomorrow. I called my bank -which they found it was weird (so did I) and I found out that they were putting the wrong expiration date- when I clearly gave it to them correctly. I called today to resolve the issue and now the account it "under review"!!! Seriously. Now I have to wait until March 31 to try to pay the account. It shouldn't be this hard!!! On top of that- call center representative are kinda rude! Can't wait to pay it off so I don't have to deal with Citi Bank! It shouldn't be that difficult to pay off debt- don't you want your money!

Original review: March 12, 2022

I opened an account a month ago. Because I had a large amount of money transferred into the account and I withdrew some money to invest. They closed my account and restricted my access. They owe me the remaining balance I still have in the closed account. Said they would send me a check in 60 days. Never explained why it was closed. From the reviews I have read they have lost people's money and some are still waiting for a check several months later. I think they need to be investigated. What kind of bank operates like this?

Original review: March 11, 2022

Citibank is not the best bank to do business with, I rather deal with Bank of America or Chase Bank because they always make the effort to ease and simplify the issues. Citi customer service doesn't always bring solutions to your needs, and the phone lines quality is almost always bad. Also, they almost never pay you the introductory bonus, they always find something to deny paying.

Original review: March 10, 2022

I started a new Citi Priority savings and checking account online. My intention was to transfer $80k+ from my previous bank to Citi to get better returns. Was in a fix between Citi and Discover. Went with Citi, linked my old bank account for ACH transfers. Initially transferred $100, then $50k after 4 days. These were added as Deposits, not available yet. After a week - account is blocked, called Fraud Department multiple times - got a different answer each time. After 2 days Fraud Dept says account is posted for closure and they will not tell why. I was like what could go wrong?? I was just putting in my money - did not take a dime.

Well, my deposits are reversed since account is blocked and guess what - the automatic system detects that I spent $50k - showing me a negative $50k balance and gives me overdraft fee and a link to add funds to my blocked/closed account. Called a customer service agent - she says that she sees no fines on my account. I was panicking about losing my $50k. All this for trying to be a new customer. In case you are wondering, I have absolutely no blemishes on my records. No idea why they would close my account. After a week, I opened a Discover bank account and their customer service felt like heaven and very welcomed. Just don't do business with Citi and save yourself!

Citibank Company Information