3.6/5 (863 ratings)

About Citibank

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

The ABSOLUTE worst is an understatement. I opened a citigold acct online and before I got card or banking info, my acct was hacked and thousands were withdrawn over the period of several days. For some reason Citibank allowed this and didn't see this as a red flag. I have filed a police report and noticed the credit bureau, FTC etc. I have spent hours on end with Citibank via in person and phone (most phone reps are foreign and seem to be be working from home as phone call sounds are typically muffled and inferior quality combined with fact agents barely speak English). Agents will hang up on you or put you on hold for hours on end to only refer you to branch or have no answer. Branch is just as useless and refers you back to 1800#.

Yesterday after being hung up on when inquired to speak to a manager I had it and went back into my local branch. Manager there (Melisis 'Mel' **) was rude and condescending. She told me they would not be investigating the fraud, nor would I be receiving a response, a reason or my funds and if I didn't like it sue them. Of course she wouldn't give me her business card or corporate info either. Basically just told in so many words, "You're out thousands so what not our problem and go ** yourself."

I am now proceeding with filing complaints to any and everyone to warn of this bank's shady illegal dealings. Imo they should not be allowed to bank as they are blatantly in violation of the law. Today I have husband who had a separate Citibank citigold acct close his out as well. Do yourself a favor and save yourself the headache and bank elsewhere as if you are in need of any assistance or fraud victim then you are your own and left without money stolen from you.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

I went into a branch to send a wire transfer to my foreign account and after almost 3 weeks, the money had not posted to my bank account in the DR. I went back to the branch and was told it was returned for some ID issue. It was resent and waited for about 2 weeks and still it was not deposited into my account in the DR. I had to call the back and was provided with no reason for it not being deposited and I will receive a letter. What surprised me was that NO ONE called me regarding the issues rather me going into the branch and calling. I have other accounts at other Banks and they don't treat that way. I missed and had a late mortgage payment because of it.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

I will not be working with or using Citibank in the future for any credit card related systems due to my experience with them. After being automatically denied for a card, despite good credit that was damaged due to the denial, I had to call several groups before interacting with their reconsideration group. It was only there that I was informed that due to an unlisted "insider" policy that they use for determination, if you have had any credit report in the last 90 days for any reason you are automatically declined. To learn this I had to go all the way to management of the group and was told that due to this policy there was absolutly nothing they or I could do to resolve this, despite it being day 90. While they were efficient, this lack of transparency and variable action means that I can in no way reccomend their services in this area.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

I had been a long time credit customer of Best Buy/Citibank. When my card was supposed to Renew, and was paid in full, they canceled my account. Same tactics Walmart and other low end companies do. Canceled all previous agreements and makes you get a new account under higher interest and new terms. Dirty business, stay away. Would make a great meme stock.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

First bad experience was with corporate card. It got so bad that I could not even put on a travel notice onto the account. Luckily we changed services for work. Recently, I was traveling internationally and upon return had received multiple "fraud warning" voice-mails. Upon calling the number on the card, the electronic service immediately steered me to the fraud department, verified me electronically, and transfered me to an agent.

Once with the agent, things got worse... agent asked for full card number, then started asking why I was even calling, on hold for a few minutes, then back to "verify my identity". I don't have time to spend on the phone for this kind of poor service so asked the account to be closed immediately. Something tells me it won't be and I will have to interact with them again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I had money in my account for rent. I paid it. A couple of days later the money was right back in my account causing me to pay my landlord late fees! No branch location so I tried to Zelle money to my soon to get money out my account. They blocked my account and said suspicious activity on the account. I called and verified it was me. They still block my account and end up closing it cause me not to pay for my daughter 1st birthday and the late fees for rent. I hate this bank. I will never ever use them or tell anyone to bank with them.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I went to go use my card to pay for my dog's food... I had a huge remaining balance still and am an on time payer towards bills. I went to look at my account and it says that Citibank has closed my account. I called customer service three times. First time, I got someone named Noel. She had very little knowledge of how to communicate with me properly and it was very hard to understand. The only thing she said to me was that 'she couldn't give me details as to why it was closed' and that I have to wait for a letter from them in 10 business days. I asked to speak to her supervisor ... She said no supervisor was there.

I called again... someone named Joseph, easier to talk to. He gave me the same thing .. "I can't disclose much," but he did say that it is mostly due to the fact that money got sent back to my card due to a dispute over a big charge previously? It makes no sense. I asked for a supervisor he said, "Hold on..." "transferred me" and it was him.... What I am trying to get out of this experience is a better explanation, some of my money back, and to hold Citi accountable. If you go to their reviews SO many others have had this happen in the last few days. We just helped them get out of their own financial situation by paying taxes. I work two jobs to make ends meet and still have to live paycheck to paycheck.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

I disputed a charge because the merchant providing a rapid covid test in Israel, failed to disclose information that I would have needed beforehand to make an informed decision to make the appointment and complete the purchase of the test. The decision by Citibank was for the merchant. I thought their decision was hasty and poorly considered. The decision in my favor should not have been even close. I am ready to close the account.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. They locked me out of my own account with 0 notification for trying to send myself money. I spent over 15 hours on the phone with one overseas representative to another to get my account unlocked. They are criminals and deserve to go out of business.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I had nothing but problems since I've opened a account with this bank, they are a horrible bank. First I couldn't deposit cash into my account at the ATM, I called customer service they were no help at all. Then I file a dispute and they lock my card, to where I can't get online or use my card. Worst ever.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I had a customer order food and charge it back to their Citibank. The customer ate the food, but said it was soggy. They ordered a veggie delight pizza and let it sit for 4 hours on their table before they ate it... What do you expect? They ate the food and then charged it back. I contested the charge with a signed receipt by the customer and the delivery receipt. Citibank gave them their money back. I will not take your card ever again. I will ask for American Express or any other form of payment besides you CITIBANK. You don't support your merchants... The heck if I will endorse your fraudulent tactics against the merchants who give you your business!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Be careful you don't put too much money into a Citibank savings account that you actually need back. They have a $10,000 limit on outgoing transfers PER MONTH. You will have to go on every month and take it out a bit at a time. Forget it if you need help from support. There are no branches anywhere near you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Never ever open Citibank AcceleRate Savings Account. They are highly unreliable. I just had a terrible experience with Citibank accelarate savings account. Citibank seem to suck big time in every damn thing when it comes to customer service! They froze my savings account due to suspected activity when I transferred from my own salary accounts to Citibank savings account. I had to wait for 1 hour each time to talk to their fraud analysts for such frozen accounts and they asked me to visit a branch. But there is no branch in whole Washington state (this is ridiculous).

Now they just want me to wait for 30 to 60 business days to receive the balance amount in a cheque and also return the transfers I made. This is ridiculous that I am unable to access my own savings. I had considerable amount saved there. I talked to at least 6 different fraud analyst (1 hour + wait time every time) and they have a standard script to repeat every time. They don't follow up if calls get dropped. They are not even allowing me to talk to their supervisors. When I googled it looks like many customers have faced similar issues. So completely stay away from Citibank offers on savings account. I have filed consumer complaints with both OCC and CFBP. Hoping to see some actions.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I received an offer for a Citi Double Cash Back card, only it didn't arrive. I contacted the customer service department, which had a wrong city and zip code. Ok fine. I corrected it accordingly and had the read back the address and one again it did not arrive. The number of chat app holds, transfers and phone calls to close my account is like nothing I've experienced in my life. Stay away from Citi; they do not care.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Because I have a Costco credit card through Citi Bank, Citi Bank sends me offers in the mail for checking accounts, claiming special rewards. It sounds very nice, except for the fine print. Nowhere does it say how much I might actually get. It only says up to a certain amount. Which actually means, Citi Bank guarantees to not pay more than this amount. So how much could I hypothetically earn? Who knows! Citi doesn’t divulge that information. After reading reviews on this very website, and more on others, there is no way I would put any of my money in Citi Bank. There are countless complaints of Citi freezing accounts, not paying supposed rewards, and more.

What I can say for certain is, Citi Bank’s call-center is in some strange foreign country, where I cannot understand what they say. Where my own money is concerned, everything must be crystal clear. Failure to communicate is not an option. So I will continue banking at Ally, where I can understand what they say and they can understand me. I’ve been banking there for years, and never had any trouble communicating with them. Apparently, their call-centers are in the United States and in Canada. That works for me. What doesn’t work is Citi talking in gobbledygook. Just say “NO” to Citi.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Four years running now Citibank has allow a fraudulent company to bill a $300 bogus annual subscription to my account. All four years I was required to jump through all kinds of hoops to fix it. Even changed my account number 4 times. They actually gave the fraudsters my new account number and home address. Had to hire an attorney to send a Cease and Desist to their CEO. Even closing my account didn't stop the madness. Citibank just accept the fraud charge anyway and then tried to bill me again even after I have a letter from them confirming it's fraud. WHAT?!? Clearly just another greedy bank who doesn't care about their clients at all.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

I would put no stars if I could but you have to put at least one to post a review so one star is all your company deserves!!! I have never used Citibank!!! And after the morning I had yesterday trying to get my issue solved I will never use this bank for a damn thing!!!! Their customer service sucks and they won't even get you someone that speaks clear English when you ask. Someone tried to apply for a card in my name and I couldn't get it resolved with this company because they suck and their customer service dept doesn't listen. Would not recommend anyone to this so called bank!!! The owners of the company don't care either or they would fix the problem on how their employees treat their customers as well as perspective customers and identity theft customers. DO NOT BANK WITH THIS COMPANY!!!! I DON'T TRUST THEM!!

Original review: July 26, 2022

I have been charge by Fb/ads 6 times for my credit card account, the 1st 3 transaction is sgd 15 + sgd15 + sgd15, then the next day another 3 transaction by fab/ads which is sgd26 +sgd26 +sgd26. And I didn't receive alert from my message or email. This is a scam and security problem. I never purchase any item using my Facebook in my whole life.

Original review: July 23, 2022

Poor service, bad experience, basically smoke and mirrors. They entice you to open an account with a proposed bonus for a deposit but when time comes to pay the bonus they will make all kinds of excuses to not pay the bonus. Basically false advertising. Useless call center. No one speaks English so impossible to communicate and they do not provide any service anyway. As for other business services that were requested and you are told someone will call you back from so and so department and no CALL BACK! Just wondering why would anyone want to bank with a bank that is just a name with NO SERVICE!! DISAPPOINTED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. Do not waste your time with this bank. There are other banks out there.

Original review: July 23, 2022

Since day 1 I am having problems with Citibank, first the card didn’t arrived and for resolve the problem citibank was telling me to gave the the credit card number. How I am supposed to gave a card number for a card I don't have?

Original review: July 20, 2022

My wife went through a very similar situation as the many of the customer’s who’ve written reviews. We tried to make a payment via Zelle to an individual for a purchase and the payment wouldn’t go through and then she was locked out of her account. She spent the last two days trying to get her account unlocked and she keeps getting transferred from one person to the next. Each one is less helpful than the last and it’s extremely difficult trying to communicate with them. They say they can’t verify her phone number, even though it’s the same phone number she’s had and they’ve had in file for 20 years. She’s responded to their texts and email and is calling from the phone on file and they continue to say they can’t verify her and won’t unlock her account.

They asked her who the beneficiary is on the account and what relation we had to the payee. Neither seems relevant. She’s spoken to over a dozen people and the account is still locked and our payment hasn’t been processed. We appreciate the security, but this has been ridiculous and unprofessional to say the least. We are changing banks as soon as we can.

Original review: July 19, 2022

For starters I don’t even have a bank account with them. I just received a check through them from a program I completed. Now I deposit the check in Chase Bank account and they have it hold for literally a week and a half all because Citibank couldn’t clear it, then I call their check verification line and they’ve been down for a whole week. Customer representative don’t make it any better because as I also saw someone state they don’t even have the knowledge of their own company because according to a couple of them there was no such thing as a check verification line, but when I spoke to someone else they provided me with the number. Overall just a little unprofessional to me regardless of anything and they like to argue with you that’s for sure lol.

Original review: July 18, 2022

Citibank itself is worst I have encountered, Citi declined my purchase attempt and locked my credit card on my first attempt to use it. And the nightmare just started. I called in 2 days asking them why my card is locked, the response I received is "they can't tell me anything because they can't verify me"; "they can't use my phone number to verify me and they also can't tell me why my phone number is invalid". They have to send me a letter via mail that takes ages to arrive because their policy doesn't allow any other ways of verification. Per the account supervisor "anyone who's close to me can get my address, email, birthday and SSN!" WOW. When I asked for an expedited overnight mail, I was told they can't do that either.

SO in summary, they declined my charge, didn't even send me any fraud alert, refused to verify me using a 21st century mean, and forced me to have a card that's locked for over a week for no reason. Entire policy is designed to ruin your day and week, and account supervisor is rude. I had other banks overnighted me new credit card because I broke it and Citi can't even overnight me that said letter which was due to their own ridiculous policy. Citi's fraud prevention policy itself is the biggest fraud I have seen.

Original review: July 9, 2022

2 weeks into the mortgage process Citi denies the application on the basis of not having 4 lines of credit! I have 3. Told everything else was perfect. What a joke and a waste of time. Should be the first thing they tell you before proceeding.

Original review: July 6, 2022

This is the worst phone customer service I ever went through. Many representative in this company is lacking credentials, the plenty of times I called I have to fight myself to customer service, or if Representative refuse they just hang up on you. It was nice company noticed fraudulent charges on my account, and stopped payment, and attempted to send me new card. Bad enough it took a week due to Hoilday weekend, but once received, card is unable to work, I'm to the point, I can't take it, and taking day off from work to close account and head to a more established bank like Chase or Bank of America.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I am a 72 yr old female and I called what I thought was a reputable company Apple Products concerning my iPad and reached a scammer and he had me put in my reward number for a new iPad but it was to take over my phone and he was able to transfer money in a new account telling me it was the only way to get my rewards and he used my Zelle account to send money to someone I don’t know and they saw where I was scammed. They were able to close that new account and get back my money but this person also used my Zelle without my authorization and was able to send two amounts that was almost $5,000.00 to someone I don’t know and because it was Zelle they refuse to credit me and don’t believe me that I was scammed.

I read an article in the New York Times where they are not making their customers whole after being scammed even though there is 1978 federal Rule called Regulation E. Please if you can reach out to them for me I would appreciate it. I am a retired Senior and can not afford to lose that amount of money. It’s not fair. I was taken advantage of Alic **.

Original review: June 22, 2022

Been a customer for more than 4 years. They returned my covid relief check that I had been waiting on since 10/21 because it had my maiden name. Just cashed another check in my maiden name but because it was small they said it went through. I asked do the amount of check change my name? Such a joke. No one speaks English. Nobody know anything then I had to re deposit the check and it will take 5 days to get all the money. Smh. This bank is a joke and what's even funnier this is where my direct deposit goes every 2 weeks faithfully. So done with Citibank. Please close the doors and start over.

Original review: June 15, 2022

I have been dealing with these people for 3 weeks trying to get the money in my account. Locked my card. Call. Say can't verify my identity. Sent a letter. Called. Gave them the reference number. Now say can't verify my identity still. Saying my phone number on my account can't send a verifying text. These people are a joke. Don't speak English. I want my money out then closing this account. They are the worst people.

Original review: June 14, 2022

So I opened a Best Buy account within the past 9 months. I use it and pay it off, so on and so forth. I have always made my payments on time, I have excellent credit, and have never had any issues with my two other cards that I have at other banks. When I called to inquire about my closed account that I discovered, I was told that it was closed because I had a returned payment. I knew exactly what he was talking about and tried to explain myself. What happened was that I made a payment to zero out my balance. The screen was loading and didn't go through so I refreshed it and made the payment again until I got to the confirmation page. This caused the payment to go through twice, when I noticed it reflect on my checking account days later I quickly called and got it straightened out.

Since I took that action it was considered suspicious activity and reason to close my account, to affect my credit score with no intention of reaching out and letting me know what happened and what they decided. I am beyond frustrated with this company and the reason behind it. I will never advise for someone to do any business with this bank ever again. This has decreased my overall credit limit, put a closed account on my record, will definitely lower my credit score, force me to lower it even more if I decide to get another card, and wasted hours of my time. All of this is because of a double charge that I wanted corrected. What a joke of a company.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I am a new customer with the 6 months no interest. This is my second time trying to make a payment online or over the phone and not being able to. It reminds me of when I used to deal with Sallie Mae and they were sued for that. I am not getting off to a good start and customer care is never able to help me. I am just trying to make an early payment why so hard? Red flags for me.

Citibank Company Information