Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.42/5

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: March 25, 2021

I am with Citibank since 2008 and loved this bank until they decided to freeze my money just because I wanted to pull some cash out. Not like the money was a cash deposit or bad check. It was actually transferred from my nephew who is my household member living in same address. But for some unknown reason to me they locked my account. I have bills and rent due. Why they do this with customer who been with them over 13 years with no issues at all. I called several time to fraud department, but they are not helping me. Stop holding my money. It's not your business to investigate why I need to take some cash from my account and what I do with my money as long as it wasn't fraud.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I opened online saving and checking account with Citibank dated 1/22/21 and depositing total of $10000.00 in saving and $1000.00 in checking account. Total amount $11000.00. I did not have access to online account due not receipt of ATM card to activate the account for access. ATM card was not received by me as they sent to wrong address on file.

Despite informing them several times that I have not received the ATM card due to wrong address and gave them the correct address. On 01/25/2021 I received letter from Citibank fraud dept to my correct home address that they need to speak to me. I once again inform them that non receipt of my ATM card. After several days of following with them and getting transferred to many departments and spending several hour on hold I requested to close my both accounts and send me the funds.

They confirmed they have closed the account and mailed the checks on 2/18/21, After not receiving the checks I called them again and they told me that will issue new checks and mailed on 3/12/21, which I did not received as the checks were again sent to wrong address, despite I corrected my address with agent. I spent lots of hours and weeks trying to resolve this matter but I was only getting runaround with different agents with resolution.

I decided to file complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on 3/5/21. On 3/18/2021 I received respond from Citibank, after several attempts to call and speak to Ms. ** at Citi Executive Response Team, and sending her my copy of Drivers license showing my correct address she confirmed the new checks will be issued and mailed and she will call me before the end of the day 3/22/21. She failed to keep her promise, I have attempted to call her for 2 days and there is only recording to leave message and sent her email dated 3/24/21. Judging the from the experience I have gone thru with several hours of phone calls trying to resolve the issue, they seem very disorganized and dishonest Bank.

Original review: March 23, 2021

Oh my goodness. I have had a credit card with Citi bank for two years. I have never missed a payment or been late on a payment. I made a $2,000.00 payment and they cut my credit limit down to my leftover balance. Which makes that card maxed out! WTF!!!! So I pay them and they lowered my limit!!!! Now my credit score is **!!!! Don't bank with citi bank.

Original review: March 22, 2021

Stay as far away from Citibank as possible. We had a brand new Citi company credit card maybe a few weeks old. We purchased three laptops from Dell for a little over 2k and it was immediately flagged for whatever reason. We approved the purchase via email and text. Days later we get a notification from Citibank that they decided on their own to cancel the order we made for our laptops and that they weren't going to approve the charges AFTER WE SPOKE ON THE PHONE AND TOLD THEM TO APPROVE IT. They just said, "Oh well just re-order them." So now Dell has a declined payment from Citi and has no clue what is going on and it's been nothing but a mess because of the incompetence governing Citibank. ABSOLUTE TRASH!!!

Original review: March 20, 2021

I was gifted a large sum of money for a house purchase. I was not thinking of using it right away. Their accelerated saving called out to me for their high APY but that was a big mistake. I have opened an account online before like Capital One. Never had a problem APY for saving is a little less, but I should have just used them instead. I live in Phoenix branches no Citi banks near my closest is California palm springs which I was forced to drive to. We found a house and needed the money for the deposit. I did a wire transfer which they charge $25 for each transfer. Umm Capital One is free. They blocked it and my account. I need it to verify myself with a debit card which they never sent.

I called customer support. They are the worst. Waited an hour for them to kindly insult me "Who opens a checking/saving account with no banks/branches in your area". Well Capital One doesn't also and their customer serves are the best. Not even 5 min on waiting to get a hold of someone. I talked to 3 different people to just be told the same say "there is nothing we can do you have to go to a branch and verify yourself". I ask "ok I live here in Phoenix which branch is the closest". "Um IDK. We have some in California". Ok wow thanks.

Their website is a mess. I tried to use it to locate the closest branch to me. It just showed ATM near me. There is no filter. I had to use Google Maps because clearly they wouldn't and neither would their website. Had to drive 3 and half hours to get it resolved. At this point I was fed up with Citibank. I wanted a cashier’s check for the deposit and one for the rest but because of the house buying process I had to leave the account open, so I was ok leaving the minimum which is 5,000. I got the first cashier check, about to get the next one when they block my account again!

The bank was closing had to wait until the next day to unblock my account another 3hr trip, also they do not offer free checks or free money wiring like some other banks do. Long story short go with another bank with local branches. I have heard Chase is good. Going to give them a try, I will still be using Capital One Banking. Never had a problem with them, but it is good to have a local bank with money for emergencies.

Original review: March 18, 2021

This afternoon on 3.18.2021, I went to my local Citibank located on 702 Utica Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11203 to have a document notarized. After a few minutes of waiting on line to see the Citibank teller that notarizes documents, his colleague sitting adjacent to him tells me that he is not notarizing because his stamp expired. I know that is incorrect because I was there a few days ago on Monday, 3.15.2021 and the same employee notarized a document for me. His commission expires 12.09.22.

When he got up from his chair and walked away to do something, I asked him if he is not notarizing today. His response was, "My stamp expired". I said, "What? Wait. I was just here yesterday or a few days ago." He responded, "I notarized for you yesterday? No. I didn't notarize all this week." I then left the bank. I can only guess that Mr. ** lied because he did not want to be bothered. I am uncertain. However, I know that it is very disappointing to think that I have to travel out of my neighborhood to receive professional and accurate service. We already have to deal with long lines because of an insufficient amount of tellers. Please do better Citibank. It is necessary.

Original review: March 12, 2021

My father passed away suddenly. He lived with me and had made me the executor. There is only my brother and I. I hired an attorney, and because his death was sudden and he handled his own finances, we had to search for everything. I found information in Citibank, but they told my attorney my father did not have an account there. A little over a month ago, we received mail In my dad’s name from Citibank telling him how much interest he has accrued in a year - with an account number on it. Citibank does not have a local bank closer than 350 miles, so I have had to do everything by phone, fax and mail. I sent a certified letter with all of the documentation they requested - death certificate, Court. Order naming me executor, and the account and TIN of my dad’s estate account. That is on Feb 10, when they received everything. I have been trying to get information on this since then!

I have had person working on it, then has been gone and not return phone calls. Last week she told me she had requested to issue a check and she had closed my case. This was after I called and was told my case was closed and a new one has to be opened - starting the process all over again! They have 15 days to act on an open case - and they are unable to read emails that someone else has received on the case- it just sits there! I have been told multiple things that contradict what other people that I have spoken to in the same dept when the original person was there. Today, I was told I have to go back to court and update everything!

I have looked up their protocol on dispersing funds on an account - and that is just not true. Today when I was told I would have to go back to court, I responded that I was filing a complaint with FDIC, the person assisting said “go ahead, it will just start everything over again”. Not only are they inept, but they have been nasty and rude! If you have money in this bank, you better pull it out now! Because if you do it they will think of all kinds of ways to keep it from you!

Original review: March 10, 2021

I'm so upset, I did a dispute with a company that took money from me when they had no right of 400, well a few weeks later Citibank put the 400 back into my account which I was pleased and relieved. 400 is a lot to me, well I just moved so money is tight because I have not started my new job yet so I had so much in my account and being very careful what I spent, Well I checked my account this morning and I was overdrawn 200 and I'm like where did it go? 400 was taken out and I had no clue where it went and was freaking out so as soon as citibank opened up I called and the money they reimbursed me and put back in my account.

Well citibank decides to take it back and I had no idea this was going to happen, they said, "Well we sent you a letter informing you we were going to do this." Well I never seen the letter and why would citibank put money back in your account from a dispute I had with a company and then a couple of months later take it back which I had no idea was going to happen. What bank does that? You do not reimburse someone from a dispute until you know that the dispute will go in the account owner's favor.

So now I'm overdrawn 200 and have no money at all. You citibank really put me in a bad predicament. I'm stressing really bad right now, money is tight right now with my move, you don't put money in someone's account and then take it away, who does that, well now it's going to take me along while to get out of negative, thanks citibank for doing this to me and as soon as I do get caught up I'm closing my account, had you guys for many years and after what you guys just did to me, I'm done, I will be closing my account when I get caught up which I hope you guys give me enough time to do this since you guys are the ones that put me in this bad spot and I'm also filing a complaint with BBB because I truly feel you guys were in the wrong, I'm so angry right now.

Original review: March 9, 2021

Citibank has blocked my account like everyone else. Ive talk to customer service. Ive gotten to the fraud department. Now all of a sudden they cant verify my phone number. What am I going to do? I dont know who else to call or get in touch with. My kids are hungry. My rent due. Income tax just sitting in my account. Anybody know what I can do? Please tell me..

Original review: March 9, 2021

I’m livid. I can’t even think about spending money without this bank blocking my card. The fraud department never answers the phone so I have to think twice before spending any money over $1k. It’s to the point where I now have to fly to another state where there is a branch or try to wire funds to another account because Citi can’t be trusted with my money. I really don’t understand how banks like this are still in business. Their own employees told me they hate having to talk to the fraud department to clear things up because they can’t get through either. So tonight I’ll have to stay up till 11pm or 1am when their “high call volume” is down. Hate this bank which is sad because their online banking is superior to Chase and BofA but at this point I can’t spend my own money so what’s the point.

Citibank Company Information