3.7/5 (1364 ratings)

About Citibank

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: June 22, 2022

Been a customer for more than 4 years. They returned my covid relief check that I had been waiting on since 10/21 because it had my maiden name. Just cashed another check in my maiden name but because it was small they said it went through. I asked do the amount of check change my name? Such a joke. No one speaks English. Nobody know anything then I had to re deposit the check and it will take 5 days to get all the money. Smh. This bank is a joke and what's even funnier this is where my direct deposit goes every 2 weeks faithfully. So done with Citibank. Please close the doors and start over.

Original review: June 15, 2022

I have been dealing with these people for 3 weeks trying to get the money in my account. Locked my card. Call. Say can't verify my identity. Sent a letter. Called. Gave them the reference number. Now say can't verify my identity still. Saying my phone number on my account can't send a verifying text. These people are a joke. Don't speak English. I want my money out then closing this account. They are the worst people.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2022

So I opened a Best Buy account within the past 9 months. I use it and pay it off, so on and so forth. I have always made my payments on time, I have excellent credit, and have never had any issues with my two other cards that I have at other banks. When I called to inquire about my closed account that I discovered, I was told that it was closed because I had a returned payment. I knew exactly what he was talking about and tried to explain myself. What happened was that I made a payment to zero out my balance. The screen was loading and didn't go through so I refreshed it and made the payment again until I got to the confirmation page. This caused the payment to go through twice, when I noticed it reflect on my checking account days later I quickly called and got it straightened out.

Since I took that action it was considered suspicious activity and reason to close my account, to affect my credit score with no intention of reaching out and letting me know what happened and what they decided. I am beyond frustrated with this company and the reason behind it. I will never advise for someone to do any business with this bank ever again. This has decreased my overall credit limit, put a closed account on my record, will definitely lower my credit score, force me to lower it even more if I decide to get another card, and wasted hours of my time. All of this is because of a double charge that I wanted corrected. What a joke of a company.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I am a new customer with the 6 months no interest. This is my second time trying to make a payment online or over the phone and not being able to. It reminds me of when I used to deal with Sallie Mae and they were sued for that. I am not getting off to a good start and customer care is never able to help me. I am just trying to make an early payment why so hard? Red flags for me.

Original review: June 12, 2022

I've been a long time customer of theirs. I'm never late. Over the past year they keep lowering my limit to what I owe them and this is messing with my credit score nor do I deserve a decrease in my credit limit. They refuse to talk to me about this. This month the wrong bank was selected to make my payment to them, when I caught this I corrected this as soon as I caught it and they charged me a late fee and a bounced check fee and a over the limit fee. I called them again. They refused to waive any of the fees. I told them they were a terrible bank, and that I have been a good customer to them and didn't deserve this. So I told them I'd be writing reviews. I figure they are going to mess with my credit I can mess with their credibility. They really are a piece of work. If I had it to do over I wouldn't have signed up with them. It hurts my credit more to close their account, otherwise I would.

Original review: June 11, 2022

I had taken a card a few years back from Citibank UAE. They have a strategy to give initial reward cash to give the credit card. Afterward, they started to penalize for no reason and make money. I closed my card a long time back after clearing the outstanding. I spoke to many agents during the car closing process and finally, they closed my card. I received many calls later that, "You have outstanding for annual fees, etc." I explained that the card had been closed. They mentioned that they were sorry, "We called you by mistake." They are standing in the malls and offering the product. Please don't get fooled by them and don't take a credit card.

Original review: June 10, 2022

I had a fraud alert on my account. I called the number for fraud alert. They wanted to send a text for verification. They would not accept my number that's on the account nor would they accept my mother's. Either they asked for a home phone number which I do not have. They wanted to send a freaking letter in the mail to verify. No one speaks English either. Worst customer service experience of my life. Card is canceled now.

Original review: June 9, 2022

The Citibank online customer service employees have no knowledge, no patience, they're redirecting calls to different teams, very unprofessional, no concern for customer, seems they are not interested on what they are doing.

Original review: June 7, 2022

She's not even letting me asked questions. Just talked, the way she talked is too fast and is not clear either. I am not even finished my question but she hang off the phone. Terrible, I am not sure why a big company like Citibank hire a customer service like this.

Original review: June 3, 2022

June 1st 2022, I check to make sure a regularly scheduled direct deposit from my paycheck made it into my account (this has been an automated recurring payment twice monthly since March), only to find that my savings account is tagged with "account blocked" in red letters...no indication as to why. I use the chat function to ask why it's blocked and am told to contact the Fraud Servicing Unit. I call the next day, get someone who tells me they can't help me, put on hold for over an hour and speak to another associate who tells me my account is blocked and flagged for cancellation and I will receive a check with my money in 30-60 days.

When I asked why my account has been flagged for cancellation she tells me there is nothing more she can tell me, says goodbye, and disconnects the line. Confused, I call the customer service number to try to get some more clarity and am told the exact same thing. If this was my only banking resource, that would be a nightmare! How would someone in that situation pay their bills? Why is this legal? No previous communication that my account would be closed? Just wait 60 days and hopefully get a check in the mail?

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor