Citibank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Made a purchase using their store purchase only, credit card. The purchase didn't even amount to fifty dollars. But I ended up being late making the payment, and that's when it started. They would call my house four to six times a day, and never leave a message, and if someone answered, they'd just hang up. They did this seven days a week.

But then, after I called them and asked them to stop calling my home, they knew by law they had to stop. So, what they did in retaliation for this, was to pass my number along to some kind of call database, and I immediately within a half an hour, began receiving all types of weird calls from different numbers from everywhere in the country, all day long every day. However, once I paid them in full, the calls immediately began to minimize. They haven't completely stopped, but have slowed down tremendously. I didn't pay them because of the harassment. I paid them because I owed them the money, and I always pay my bills. My advice to anyone looking to do business with this bank, is to not do it. They are extremely petty and low.

I called in trying to simply report my card lost. The lady on the other end had could not understand me and I could barely understand her. A phone call that should have taken only 3 minutes took 25. Not only was there a horrible lack of communication and understanding but the lady became very short and rude with me. I am going to be canceling my account with Citibank because this is just one of the many times that they have been difficult to work with.

So I decided to help others by sharing my experience. I have a professional account with Citibank. Their ATM never works and it's a pain to deposit checks. Their app is the only one on the market that doesn’t do remote check deposit. Today I realized a fraudulent transaction was posted on my account. Called them. The CSR was rude and obviously hates his job. Was almost treated like a criminal. Their system failed to contact me to alert me... major security breach. Their website is very convoluted and not user- friendly. I already opened accounts at other banks, ready to close Citibank. Yes ...even Bank of America is better. Overall unacceptable experience.

My mother recently passed away. She had many debts in her name, but Citi is the only one who felt the need to call 3 times a day, every single day. All they ask for is her by name, when you tell them that you aren't her they immediately hang up. I finally got a word in that she had passed, and they asked for a spouse. I told them that she was divorced, and again an immediate disconnect. Nevermind that they are speaking directly to the executor of the estate. How do they expect to collect on any debt with this level of service? Thank God I don't have any business with them.

I requested a line of credit increase, which was approved. The increase was to purchase major kitchen appliances at COSTCO. I decided not to purchase the appliances because I received a better deal from another merchant. Prior to requesting the increase, I asked the following question: Would I be allowed to decrease my credit limit to the original amount that was on my credit card, if I decide not to purchase? The employee said yes. I decided not to purchase the appliances because it was sold out. I called back a couple of days later and requested to decrease the credit card limit back to the original amount. The employee that I spoke with said I could not decrease it below a certain dollar amount and that I had to keep it at the higher dollar amount, which I did not want.

I was misled in increasing my credit limit under the premise that I could decrease back to my original amount whenever I chose too. Cancelling the credit card is not an option, as it will go against my Credit Score. This can also affect me in opening another type of credit card or applying for a loan. I feel deceived and lied to by Citibank. We know that some banks are in business for themselves and don't care about the customers. It's what the customer can do for them and forget everything else. I am sorry COSTCO stopped doing business with American Express as their credit card company for an untrusted misleading company. When it comes down to not having the ability to decrease your credit limit is unacceptable. What is the harm in requesting less money to utilize on your credit card? I hope COSTCO goes back to using American Express as their credit card company. I am a very dissatisfied Citibank cardholder.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Omg, worst harassment in my life from a someone trying to get my business. I wrote to the fraud dept twice (only option I could see for a person with no acct there), and asked them to stop sending applications and bothering me with them. I receive a minimum of 2-3 per week that I shred. This has been going on for about 2 years now. I see that they have a complaint process link in Google, but you must have an account with them to file one. No thanks ever, Citibank. I have all major cc's but will never, ever want yours. Completely clueless as to how to market themselves attractively.

Both my girlfriend and myself have had numerous issues with Citibank. They're literally incompetent. I have had my credit card info for Citibank stolen multiple times, never ever ever had a problem with any of my other cards. My girlfriend's card info was stolen and her account used, Citibank opened an investigation and assigned a person who did not answer the phone for 2 months! Finally answering to say that the investigation and account were closed. Citibank neglected to return any of the money nor did they contact her during any part of this "investigation". Unbelievably unprofessional. We are both closing all of our Citibank accounts and will be taking legal action. Use another bank.

Citi just canceled my card without any reasons. I called customer service and they asked me to write (cannot call, fax or email) to their Executive Response Unit based out of Sioux Falls, SD. All of my cash rewards (close to $1000) have also been wiped out. Again, when I talked about that with a customer service rep, the answer was to write their ERU. I cannot believe Citi would do something like this out of the blue. I have a credit score of over 800. I have existing relationships with many other major banks. I have all kinds of credit cards issued to me by major issuers including Chase, American Express, BoA, etc. I have never encountered anything similar to this.

I don't know why Costco chose Citi as partner. Costco cares about their members and make their members' happiness their number one priority. Citi is just the opposite. I'm sure Costco has already regretted the marriage. I urge all Costco members to collectively voice their unhappiness towards this marriage. Banking regulators, please do not ignore all these many complaints on this website and many other social media and consumer comment sites such as Facebook and Yelp. Time to look into Citibank. Don't let a few executives or operators at Citibank be the bully everyone hates!

This is regarding Citibank Diamond Preferred card. My suggestion - avoid, these people are thugs and violate the terms and condition and have no ethics. They will dispute your transactions and will not notify you. They will make transaction on their own and make you pay the bill. They will not respond to you regarding this utter violation of the terms and conditions (I honestly think what they do is illegal by creating transaction without the consumer consent).

Here is my experience: I used Citibank Diamond Preferred master card credit card for making paying towards my real state license to bureau of real estate. The Citibank fraud department disputed these charges the first week of transaction without my authorization and did not contact me or seek approval regarding this dispute at all. It should be consumer who need to initiate the dispute. They didn't even send me a letter asking permission or notifying me of this dispute.

As a result my license was declared void and I received a letter from the bureau of real estate to make the payment plus fine because earlier credit card payment was disputed and refunded. The method of payment needed to be personal check or cashier check. I make the payment via personal check. After 3 months Citibank for some reason reversed their decision and make the payment to Bureau of real estate, this also without my permission and I happen to know about this by finding this transaction in my latest statement. Now, there is double payment to the Bureau of real estate.

The Citibank is consistently avoiding to resolve this issue and trying all the delay tactics to not to recover the amount. This include blaming me for this fiasco and not accepting their mistake, forwarding the case to Citibank investigator. Moreover I also found out that the bureau of real estate never got the payment made after 3 months. It appears they just added to my account.

The Citibank was wrong in 1) disputing the charge the first time without my authorization, 2) Keeping me in the dark during this dispute process and not seeking my approval or notifying me in writing, 3) Making the payment 3 months later on my behalf without my approval and without notifying me, 4) Delaying the reversal of this payment as I didn't authorize this payment, 5) Causing severe loss of time (over 50 calls and some calls over 1 hour) and jeopardizing my real estate license because of Citibank actions.

As a result I have to experience 1) Fine for late payment, 2) not been able to make payment to the Comcast by credit card and have to make cash payment in person, 3) I am forced to pay what Citibank supposedly paid to real estate bureau dollars as a result. This is added to my balance. The Citibank is not interested in recovering the amount which they paid without permission, 4) I was forced to take immediate action to avoid voiding the real estate license because of Citibank disputing the charges and not letting me know that the payment is reversed, 5) Massive frustration because of Citibank delayed tactics. I send the personal check copy as proof of payment three time before the acknowledge receiving it (as an example). Any phone call to them starts with their no knowledge of this issue.

I just returned from the Home Depot in College Station, Texas. The charge accounts for Home Depot is run by Citibank. The cashier at Home Depot was MOST helpful. The following is not her fault. I tried buying a $150.00 gift certificate for a friend that I have know for some 35 years. Friday is his birthday, and a person can always used a Home Depot gift certificate. What I thought would be easy turned into 15 minutes of pure hell.

I have a $6100.00 credit limit, which has gone down a bit having bought a chainsaw (By the way... that chainsaw is going BACK TO HOME DEPOT after this incident, tomorrow!!). Anyway, the $150.00 request for the gift certificate did not go through. Citibank wanted "extra" verification of who I was. By the way, the Home Depot clerk (MOST courteous) was on the telephone for many minutes. I even went back to my pickup truck to put away the chainsaw oil that I had bought (By the way, that oil is GOING BACK TO HOME DEPOT tomorrow, too!).

So after about 10 minutes, the Home Depot cashier hands me the phone after I had returned from my pickup truck having put away the chainsaw oil. The guy would not approve me saying they did not know who I was. I told him I have a photo ID (Texas Drivers License) with my Home Depot Credit Card. No, that was not enough. He asked about my cell phone #. I gave it to him correctly. He said he would text some sort of info to me. I said "I do not have my cell phone on me." He said he could not process my request, then. He claimed the cell phone was more "secure" than a photo state issued ID.

REALITY CHECK: Citibank needs to train their CSR's better. A cell phone is good, secure way of verifying a person's identity??? That's totally STUPID. Anyone can go to a cell phone retailer and buy a phone. No phone retailer ask for an ID. That is if you pay in cash. They could care less. Why do you think cell phones are so popular with scammers and terrorists?? Anyway... He transferred me to his supervisor. She was very condescending. In short, she was as useful as a trap door on a canoe.

SUMMARY: I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars at Home Depot. And have paid thousands in interest fees. I tore up my card at the store and will be returning the chainsaw back to H.D. My balance will be less than a $100.00 & will pay that off. I'm thru with HD. And more so... CITIBANK. Please read and heed!!!

Opened a business account, days later they call me to tell me they have to change the address because of their system. So far so good. One week later I find out while trying to make a deposit that my BUSINESS account is blocked. I am the only business contact so if I didn't get the notification means they did not notify anyone before blocking a business account... wait for it... yes the reason they block my account was missing documentation. When I called their call center because it was past 4 pm (I guess their tellers and bankers are more privilege than normal people as they work less hours) they couldn't offer me a solution other to return to this hell hole.

Question here: How do they open a business account without the proper documentation. Do they really think is OK to block a Business account without notifying anyone? Really no solutions? Citibank ** up, no one tells me about it, they block my account and I am offered no solutions other than lose that day and go back to that hell hole just to see what document is missing. Really? They called me to change an address in the system which I didn't ask for and that doesn't affect me at all but I get no notification when they block my account? Their answer to this claims: "We can do that, we are allowed to that." What do you want me to do? "Oh wait it seems your account has been reactivated and no extra documentation was needed" (so I lost two trips to the bank and $2500 for no reason other than "we can do it"). Horrible place to open a business account. Don't do it here and don't do it in Citibank.

This bank has threaten me with account closures because I don't reply or call them on my account that been open with me since October of 2013. What is it they need to verify? Now after the last year of the poor business and banking practices I requested to close out my accounts. On the 19th they replied back they would close out my account in the next business days, that was 11 days ago. More of their deceptive, them deciding the way they will do business.

In January, I signed up for a Citibank Card with Best Buy in order to get a discount on purchasing a TV. A few months later, I requested a two funds transfers from my card to my bank account because I did not have the funds to pay a bill. The first one went through. The second, for $300 with a $15 fee, never reached my credit union. In April, I began a dispute process because I never received the funds. I have now provided two copies of my bank statement - one in June, the other in Oct - to show the funds never arrived. I never heard from them after sending the first. Today, I received a letter in reply to the second stating that the previous correspondence did not reflect a $300 deduction from my credit union account. THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM DISPUTING! What is wrong with these people? Do NOT SIGN UP FOR A CARD WITH THEM!

I recently got Citibank Costco card. There were 2 fraudulent transactions. Citibank sent me an email that they see suspicious activity and they blocked card. They called me to verify. When they called me, they had no idea about fraud transaction. I opened my account and told them about fraud transactions. They changed my card. After couple of days when I logged in, there was nothing in Dispute Center section of website. I called them again and they had no idea on transactions I disputed. So, I told them about these transactions. By this time, I had 4 fraud transactions. I changed my card again and disputed transactions. Same story after 2 days that I called them again and they could not find my disputes. I ended disputing same transactions 4 times to get them solved. They changed my card 4 times but seems their fraud detection and dispute system does not work. I am very disappointed with service.

I have been an account holder of Citibank for 13 years. I never missed a payment, used my bill pay & checking account regularly. Last July 9, 2016, I took advantage of their special promotion. Their promotion indicated that if you deposit a certain amount, leave the money with them for 3 months, you will be given a credit amounting to $400.

I did just that. I went to the bank (5554 California Ave, Bakersfield, CA 93309) on a Saturday, July 9th. I was made to wait for 3 long hours since there was only ONE bank officer who was handling client inquiries other than withdrawal & deposits. The bank officer took the flyer I brought, read the details of the promotion and he took note of the promo code pertaining the promotion. After a new account was successfully opened by the officer, he instructed me to deposit the money to one of the tellers. I was assured that $400 will be credited to my account after 90 days, as long as the money I deposited remains intact and untouched, it should all be good.

I visited the branch on September 9, 2016 to follow up. I was told that there was a problem on my account and it would be elevated to the manager of the bank. Since September until today, October 28th - I have called and made numerous follow-ups with the bank and the 1800 number, only to be told by the bank manager herself, and multiple customer service representatives, that I was "ineligible" to receive the promotional credit since it was only offered to NEW account holders.

Personally, I feel misled by their FALSE ADVERTISING. After they took & held my money for FOUR MONTHS, they would only tell me NOW that I cannot be given the $400 credit simply because I am ineligible for that promotion? They should have denied opening a new account for me if they deemed I was ineligible WHILE I was there on July 9th! It was their mistake, why can't they rectify the problem they created? My experience with this branch was a classic SWITCH AND BAIT with Citibank.

I would be very careful dealing this branch. Because of this extremely bad experience with them, I have decided to close my account and put my money elsewhere, where I would be treated FAIRLY and appreciated, after many years of loyal banking with them. It is so ironic they are aggressive in getting new account holders to bank with them but they can't salvage the old, faithful ones that have stuck with them all through the years. So I guess this is what I get for being their LOYAL and active account holder of 13 years, being completely screwed up.

My fiancé went to the bank to cash the check. They told her "You can't here. Try though the bank few blocks away." So she went there and she forgot the sunglasses - Chanel glasses $650. She came back fast. The glasses were missing. She ask them for the glasses. They made fill out paper. So I made a big complaint and they found them 4 days later. The lady that works there, she did steal the glasses. She brought them back because they got her on camera and she said that she thought they were her friend's glasses but now the glasses are all scratched off garbage. They are thieves. I don't trust him with my money. Me and my fiancé we both going to cancel our accounts with them.

Please help me! I bought a Winix WAC 9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Cleaner online from Costco on Mar 30th, 2016 with the amount of $259.19. I used American Express Card to pay for it. I received an item a week later, I used it for almost 2 weeks, and I smelled an unpleasant smell; therefore, I have to return it back. Before doing so, I had called a number outside of the box which ask customer to do before returning it to the store. I did called many times, but there was no one to answer the phone. I had no choice to bring it to the store near by my house. I returned that item on April 12th, 2016. I had a return receipt. I thought that everything is OK, but it is not.

I don't remember when was the first time I got a bill from Citibank, ask me to pay for the amount of $251.19. I didn't even know what Citibank is. I called them, and they told me that this amount come from the Air Purified. I told them that I already returned it to Costco on April 12, 2016. The American Express was taken over by Citibank - now I know. I called American Express to verified that I had returned that Item; so I don't have to pay for that anymore. The Citibank said that I got a credit for that amount from Citibank; therefore, I have to pay for it. I didn't get any credit for that amount. The only thing I know that I bought an item, and I returned it.

So, don't ask me to pay for anything that didn't keep. This is between the two big companies that don't want to take responsibility, and just want to go after a small guy like me. No, they don't let me go and they send me another bill with late fee. I called them again and talked to MISSY who reviews the dispute. After sending all the statements print out form American Express to MISSY to verified to her that I didn't get any credit for that amount. She helps me to go through all details, and I found out that I may be or may be not getting the credit for the amount of $259.19. But anyway I am tired and frustrating because I had 7 strokes along with seizures. I don't understand what they are talking about.

To make it easy for me so I gave up and agreed to pay for that amount. No, they double charged me and just yesterday, I checked online to see Citibank statement to pay my bill. I didn't believe my eyes, instead of 1 amount, now my balance is over $500.00, plus the $5.00 interest. I called Citibank what is going on, why I have to pay for interest, they told me that during the dispute time I had to pay the minimum amount which is $25.00 and I did. I have to pay in full in order not to for the interest. I don't know how long more this issues will last, the longer this wait to get it solved the more interest I have to pay. Please help me. The only one company can stop these bad companies is Consumer Affair. I hope this matter will solve in favor for me. Thank you.

I am looking for other customers that took cash advance deals posted by Citibank this year. I was told that the total cost would be 3%, with payment due April 2017. I pay my monthly expenditures each month so the only balance is the cash advance, which I was led to believe was not subject to interest as unpaid balances. I am being charged about 36% per year on the cash advance, instead of the 3%, and I'm mad as hell. Citibank says I was made aware of it, but all I remember is the rep rattling off unintelligible small-print talk after telling me the only charge was the 3%. I'd like to know if others have had the same experience.

My elderly parents (92 yrs and 89 yrs) are being harassed by Citibank as a result of a Best Buy purchase. They went into a Best Buy to inquire about a Large Screen (curved screen) tv. Next day they came back and paid for the television upfront. They had inquired about financing, but decided to pay it all upfront. Signed papers for the delivery. Ever since they have been harassed by Citibank to pay a "processing fee" for something they never took advantage of. They paid CASH. Citibank calls them daily, daily. They have applied interest and it is now several hundred dollars. The caller tells them they will get their $ one way or another. Someone failed here, and someone needs to take responsibility and stop this harassment.

I am looking for a good lawyer to sue Citibank for after report that we never received order of $2800 from ALIBABA, they release the money to this thief company. My husband and I will sue CITI BANK for sure. DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT OF ANY OTHER OFFER FROM THESE COMPANY.

I was working with Citibank to dispute a charge. After more than a month they mailed information that was TOTALLY UNREADABLE even with a magnifier. I called at least 5 times to talk to someone in the dispute department to complain about the paperwork and to further discuss the details of the dispute. I did receive calls back 2 times was NOT AT HOME and every time I called NOBODY WAS AVAILABLE TO DISCUSS the problem. Because they did NOT TALK TO ME and I did not immediately respond in writing with my side of the story they reversed the charge in favor of the vendor who did not have my permission to charge my card in the first place and then ONLY GAVE ME 30 days to dispute when I had not received a bill nor did I even find out about the charge until after the 30 days when I received the credit card statement. I WOULD ADVISE EVERYONE TO NOT USE CITIBANK FOR ANYTHING!!!

One of the worst sites I had to use. It's been like this for many years. Simple things like typing in the 3 digit credit card signature verification code will fire up an error that it needs to be a number. The site is so buggy that even if you type in 3 numbers, it registers as a letter. I am unable to update my contact information, I always have to do it over the phone. Really annoying. If the CEO of Citi card is reading this and scratching his head, it is because he clearly never used the site under real world conditions.

On August 11th, 2016, while away on vacation in a remote area of Wisconsin, I received an email from a credit monitoring bureau about an alert. It appeared it was from our Mobil credit card that we've had, used, and always paid on time for over 20 years. When we arrived home on August 14th, my wife logged onto the Mobil site and we looked at it together and it was difficult to tell what was going on. It looked like there was a previous balance from May 2016.

I then called Mobil and spoke with a customer service rep for about 20 minutes. She did not seem to comprehend what I was trying to explain and ask her which included the following: We have not received any statements or other communications from Mobil for at least 3 or 4 months. Mobil just reported to the credit bureaus we had a late payment. When we logged onto the Mobil site it appears we have a balance. If there is a balance we have not paid it because we have not received any statements or other communications from Mobil, and we did not know we had a balance. If there is a balance what are the dates and amount of the charges? If there were charges not paid are there late fees and what are the amounts and dates of them? Why were we not contacted at all about this remaining balance?

She was able to answer some but not all of my questions above. I had to repeat the information and questions multiple times and she kept asking the same questions again and again like she didn't understand what I was saying. From the conversation, I determined there was a previous balance from May that was not paid and there were some late fees. I explained we received statements in the past over several years and we had not moved so I could not understand why we had not received any statements since May for the past couple months. I verified our address with her. Then she said we signed up to receive our bills by email which is not true. Neither my wife or I ever signed up to do this. Furthermore, neither of us ever received any email communications regarding our Mobil bill/balance.

I then asked to be transferred to someone higher up and talked with a male. I explained what happened and shared everything over again and he understood everything the first time. I told him we needed to pay what we owed for the charges, but I did not want to pay any late fees since we had not received any bills. He waived all but one of the late fees, and he debited our checking account for the balance minus one month of the late fees. I closed the account at this time.

Then, on August 22nd, 2016 we received a bill from Mobil the first one since April 2016. The card was used on 3 occasions in May, and not at all in June, July, or August. We had a credit score of 812 out of 850 on July 18, 2016. When Mobil reported our account as delinquent, our credit score fell 59 points from 812 (out of possible 850 score) to 753. We have paid all our bills on time - always.

There is no way that Mobil mailed us statements for May, June, July, and August and we did not receive them. I can see how one bill could get lost in the mail, and I would think the company would do a follow up reminder but to not receive all these bills is impossible. As stated earlier, neither of us ever signed up to received bills electronically and neither of us ever received any communications from you electronically.

We wrote Citibank on August 27th and included 6 enclosures as proof of the information above asking why we did not receive any statements for 4 months and have not received a response. We also asked them to remove the negative reporting based on the information above which they refused to do. Our credit score did come back up after 30 days.

We want to know why we did not receive any statements for 4 months and also wonder if and how many other people this happened to. They got a hefty late fee out of us before cancelling because if we did not pay it - our credit score would have continued to go down all because they did not mail any statements for 4 months. Maybe it was not intentional, maybe it was but there are big problems there when no statements go out for 4 months when there is a balance.

I was denied a credit card by Citibank. Once by mail and by the approval dept. I was told I was denied bc l needed to have an excellent credit level for approval. Understood, ok. I applied just to know where my credit score stood by a major bank credit standard AND I wanted to try the new card they were marketing. Not even 6 mo later I discovered that a Citibank American Airlines credit card was opened in my name with an $8,000 credit limit and sent to someone at another address. So wrong address! I immediately call the Citibank fraud dept. Four CSRs and an hour and a half later of continuous holding I finally reach a cold unconcerned CSR in AZ who wouldn't give me ANY useful info on how this could even happen. Some lame excuse about a Costco breach. I have never and no reason to shop at Costco!

Two weeks later and no follow up from them so I called and got a different fraud CSR who let me know that the card was not cancelled and no charges were made on the card. Thank God! He sent out the appropriate paperwork to close the acct and keep for my records. Thank you Chris, Fraud CSR Citibank. My concern is how did someone give ALL THE WRONG INFO and still get a credit card in my name and sent to a different address? When I applied I gave all the right info and was denied with the same credit score?? I have a paid credit monitoring service that told me maybe they used your score from the other two credit bureaus. I have a free credit monitoring service from which I discovered this fraudulent acct.

How is it so EASY for criminals to do this and not get caught and I do the right thing and a THEN I have to practically create a 2nd job of me protecting my credit and identity? SOMETHING is not right here and in the links of this company I don't have ANY accts with them. I'm starting to believe B. ** and Jesse Ventura. Maybe there are undetected people working together at these businesses that are low key taking over our banks. Jobs giving people our personal info to their friends to apps, money, and credit. Phone companies as well. And I sure wouldn't put it past collection companies. Anyway I'm so done with ID theft. I will prosecute this person if necessary and bc it is the only LEGAL recourse that I have!

When 2 trees fell on my house and 2 neighbors houses (8/19/16), I began working with my insurance company to get the trees removed from the roofs, the driveway and 2 sidewalks replaced, as well as replacing the shingles and some damaged wood trim. The house is worth over $** and the mortgage balance is under $**. That is less than 3.4% of the mortgage loan. I have already had the trees removed (the cost of that was $8,600). Citibank required my insurance company to make the check (more money than I even owe) payable to Citibank and myself. My insurance company said I should have no problem getting Citibank to waive their interest in the check so that my insurance company could direct deposit it into my account, which I needed to fit into a cancellation that the driveway contractor had for the week of the 9/19.

I contacted Citibank on 9/13 and made a request for them to notify insurance company that they were waiving their interest. She said someone would call me from property damages. No call, so I called them 9/14. They said that it was not their policy to do that. Even the supervisor, Amanda, was not helpful. She submitted a request for a review to waive their interest, but that it could take weeks. I explained that it could be months before I could get the rest of these repairs done if I missed this window. She said she would send out an overnight envelope and it would arrive on Friday (certainly not overnight). Today is Monday, no envelope. She was so condescending. I called again today and was informed that there was a clerical error (deliberate, I believe) and the envelope was addressed to their office. Why didn't they call and let me know what happened or better yet, why didn't they resend it?

I understand why they are the 4th most hated bank in the US. They are acting like I am untrustworthy to make the repairs. And I know that it should not take 2 weeks for someone to make a decision to waive. I must now find another contractor whom I do not know and that will cost my insurance company more money because I got a really good estimate from the contractor I have used in the past. Even the bank officer at my bank said that was really poor customer service and they would have taken care of it immediately. The loan had been sold at least 6 or 7 times. When I ended up with Citibank, I asked why since it was certainly not a bank I would have chosen. I was informed that when a bank sells a bunch of bad loans they have to include some loans in really good standing. Since I am never late, I really resent this practice.

I should be able to choose my mortgage company. If I had been able to do so without refinancing expenses, I certainly would have done everything in my power to get away from Citibank. I would pay the fees right this minute but of course, at this point I doubt that I could even get a bank to refinance since such a small amount remains on the note. And to be treated like this does nothing to help their public relations. Oh, sorry, that was a logical comment for a company that actually cares about public opinion. They obviously do not and have no public relations.

In June 2016 I applied for a business Citibank Visa Costco credit card. Upon making the application I was told that my application was declined because of the type of business they had me listed as, a "Depository Institution". My business is not a Depository Institution, it is a Real Estate Settlement Services firm. I asked what it took to get this resolved and the representative at Citibank said I needed to get my SIC code corrected with Dun & Bradstreet then reapply with Citibank.

Over the course of several weeks I worked with Dun & Bradstreet to get my SIC code corrected and then processed a new online application with Citibank which was declined again because they still showed my business as being a "Depository Institution". I reviewed the changes I made with Dun & Bradstreet with the Citi representative only to be advised that Citi was never getting my business information from Dun & Bradstreet. They were getting their information from Equifax. I asked if the Dun & Bradstreet info would be shared over to Equifax and if so how long would it take. In the course of that conversation the Citibank representative pulled my personal credit report again WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION OR CONSENT.

I was finally transferred to a supervisor who confirmed that much of the information I was given by previous representatives was completely wrong and that my credit should not have been pulled a 3rd time and that I never needed to apply a 2nd time - I only needed to ask that my first application be reviewed. But by now Citibank has pulled my credit 3 times! As of this date Citibank says that they are trying to get the 3rd credit pull notification on my credit report changed from a "Hard Pull" to a "Soft Pull" which means that a mark will still remain on my credit report which equates to my credit score has been lowered by Citibank.

Under normal circumstances I would just take my business to a more competent credit card company, but I like shopping at Costco and Costco has forced their customers to deal only with Citibank Visa to get the most benefits and rewards offered. Ultimately Citibank has: Denied me business credit based upon incorrect information; Asked me to spend hours correcting this information with the wrong reporting agency; Asked me to apply a 2nd time when I did not need to; Pulled my credit a 3rd time without my authorization. Much of the misery caused by Citibank could have been avoided if they simply had representatives that gave out correct information the first time, did not make up information, and did not pull consumer credit scores without authorization.

I have had the CitiBusiness AAdvantage credit card for about 20 years. The website for this card has functioned quite poorly for the entire 20 years. The site remains "behind" technologically with frequent downtimes, no customer service chat available, and they don't even have the capability of downloading to QuickBooks, which many businesses use. I also have Citibank personal cards, and the sites for these all function far better than the business site. Because they don't allow a download directly to QuickBooks, I have recently been entering my transactions by hand. It's now the very end of tax season, and I had some more entries to make but this time could not even "VIEW" an online statement at all. The screen goes blank, and the company logo flashes repeatedly. This has been going on for at least the past week. Since there is no chat capability, I called customer service using the number I was given by an email I received from Citi.

The automated system wouldn't accept my information, so I finally was routed to an agent. After giving her my information, she explained that I had reached the personal cards department, not the business. So I had been given the wrong phone number. I was connected by the agent to the business department, but that agent was not able to help me get access to my statements due to a "known problem" on the site that was being worked on. She then connected me with their technical support. The technical support agent also could not help because she had no access herself due to the known issue. I asked if they could email me my statements. She said they could fax them or mail them, not email them... After almost 20 years of this, I really have to recognize that Citibank just can't handle business credit card accounts online. They just aren't up to it and don't want to spend the money on fixing it.

My son applied for some credit at Best Buy to purchase a new laptop for college and was denied since he had no previous credit, Citibank is the credit behind the scene for Best Buy and they wouldn't even give him 50 dollars of credit even if I sent them the full amount in cash as collateral so he could establish some credit. So I cancelled my Citibank credit card and will no longer be a customer at Best Buy. It is pretty sad when a young college kid is trying to start off on a good foot and one of the top financial institutions won't allow him to get started and the CEO makes over 30 million a year. You would think a young person with a 200 dollar a week part time job could at least get a 300 dollar credit. 300 bucks is what Michael Corbat spends on dinner.

For 5 months, I've been submitting an extra payment on my loan. Four of the five months, the payment has not been applied to principal only as requested on the check. I have to call in each time, maneuver through their phone system and wait for somebody to finally assist me. At first, they blamed me for the issue. Then, they had no idea why this was happening. Now, it's a problem with the department that handles principal only payments. Who is going to be blamed next time? I just want to be able to make my principal only payments without having to call in each month to have them corrected. Honestly, how many other people are doing this, but not catching that their payments aren't being applied correctly? How much money is Citibank making from these "incorrect" payments?

A month after applying for a debit card and SUCCESSFULLY depositing funds into my account for saving, new account services tells me my account is being closed. The reason given, "You have not provided a driver's license to us". Not only did I not receive a notice or any messages online from them requesting anything, they sent a card and accepted my deposits as if everything was great. I work in the same parking lot as Citibank so showing my ID as proof is not an inconvenience for me. The fact that I found out a whole month later after attempts to use the card for an emergency, I call only to find out a restriction was put on the account. When asked if I can provide my state ID since I do NOT drive, I was given a number to new account services to call.

I call again this morning on some phony number the agent gave me, only for them to tell me, "I am so sorry, but we've closed the account, you'll be receiving a check by September 17th. You can always reapply to open a new account". I think NOT! How can you accept my deposits as if the application process was "completed" AFTER sending me a card and then close my account without telling me? Had I NOT called last night, I would've never known until I received my check in the mail. That is shady business and I would never recommend any banking here.

How can you allow someone to make deposits if the process wasn't fully completed? If I check online or even call for the balance inquiry it gives the available balance... Which is NOT available to me... VERY misleading when you're trusting a bank with your funds for saving and then pull a stunt like this!!! I will go up to the bank to attempt to get my cash upfront. I didn't mail them my deposits so I would expect to get it in person. If not, I'll have to speak with management. Totally unacceptable!!

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.
  • Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.
  • Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.
  • Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.
  • Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.
  • Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.
  • Best for U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions