Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.41/5

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Citibank is a long-standing bank. It has always been trustworthy for me. The only downside is their fees, don't like being nickel and dimed just because I don't hold a lot of money in accounts; but then again, other banks are no better when it comes to this. Give to the rich - take from the poor. Bad practice.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have been a Citi customer for over 20 years. The only real problem I have is logging into their website most of the time. For some reason it usually takes 2 to 3 attempts. I have spoken to customer service and they can't see the problem. Just annoying at times.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have my accounts with Citibank for over 18 years and was pleased until moving out of the city years ago. It is a secure and reliable bank but lacks local branches. From an experience point of view, if you don't live in New York city you will be frustrated in trying to find one.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I like that Citibank has 24/7 customer service and has ATMs all over. The fees are pretty average. I remember comparing them with Chase and found their services similar. Santander once had a $20/month for a year incentive for new customers but I didn't switch because it's not as big of a bank. One of the last times I went to Citibank, I saw an account, possibly a CD for 2.5% interest but the minimum was $25,000, so that didn't tempt me. I heard were very helpful to a relative when he was traveling abroad and his card was stolen but I was not told the details. I just started using the app a few months ago and it's very helpful to see my transactions lined up. I was unclear if a pending debit was taken into account with my current balance. The phone system tells me that important information. I also have two custodial accounts for my kids and it would be helpful to see their names on them so I don't have to look up their account numbers.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I have been with both B of A and Chase. I am no longer with either of those financial institutions, that should make a statement in and of itself. Citi may have its own not so good points I am not aware of, but for my purposes they have served my wife and I well.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Absolutely the worst experience I have ever had with a bank. After getting approved for a card. Three months ago I did not receive it after 2 weeks. I called to have it reissued. The woman I spoke with was great and offered to have it expedited. I waited another 1.5 weeks for a new card. These things happen so I wasn't too bothered. Then it really got difficult. I made about 3 purchases totaling no more than $600. Groceries, stuff like that. After about a week it started getting declined. I called customer service and they could not figure out a way to verify the card was mine. Not using my telephone number (the only one I have had and used for over ten years) and not using my security word.

They then asked that I give them the phone number of a relative with the same last name that they could call to give instructions to reset my account. This is to me a bizarre measure that does not make me feel more secure in any way. And unfortunately, I don't have a relative with the same last name I trust to do this. Only at this point did the agent tell me WHY my card had even been declined - suspicious activity. Could I verify it for her? No. Not until I verified myself. Could I just pay off and close the stupid card? Not until I verified myself. Last option was for them to send a verification letter by mail (in a pandemic with notoriously slow mail times).

I waited over another 2 weeks and did not receive a letter. I called again. Same drill. At this point I can't get into my online account to pay my bill and my due date is coming up. I ask if I will be charged late fees if I don't get it in time. Yes, they say. So they send another letter. I waited another 2 weeks. I finally received the letter today and called to verify my account. The automated answering system hung up on me 4 times after waiting on hold a total of 20 minutes. Finally I got through to a human being.

After verifying the account I made the mistake of asking the agent why this happened and how I could prevent it from happening again. She "explains" that the "system" flags any activity outside of a normal spending pattern. I ask how it can establish such a pattern after 3 purchases. She tells my that this is my problem and it's not enough to establish a pattern. "How can I do this?," I ask; fewer, smaller purchases to start, for example? "Establish a pattern" she says again.

At this point I can see where aren't getting anywhere so I hang up to promptly pay off my balance so I can cancel this lousy card. Every part of the process was painful and everyone I spoke with - with 1 exception - was clearly an underpaid minion who did not give a crap. Even Bank of America has better customer service, and that's saying something. With any luck and several more hours of phone calls maybe I can have my account closed in another 3 months. Nothing is worth this hassle.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I closed my account in Oct 2020, and now it is Feb 2021, and I still have not received my funds. I have called 11 times over 5 months, talking to a different person every time. Speaking to what they call, Customer Service, Supervisors, and then Managers. Not once have they contacted me back, I am forced to call every two week to find out no progress has been made. I still cannot get my money back, or any update. CITI BANK does not have a branch in Michigan, so I cannot even go to a branch for help... DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH CITI BANK.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I just spent 1 hour, 3 phone calls, and 1 "live chat" BOT to not fix a problem where I can't receive my statement via email because suddenly for no reason, no changes, my emailed statements can't reach my inbox. They were going to fix it on their end after I waited forever to speak to a supervisor. Surprise! It's not fixed and I am so done wasting my time on really really poor customer service. Love the card and benefits but so totally HATE their customer service. We now refer to them as ** Bank. Not worth the wasted time and endless contacts to get something that should never have been an issue fixed.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I withdrew 2 transactions for $200 at an ATM. Citibank has deducted my account for 3 transactions of $200. I called and they said it would take 10 days to get a credit. I called customer service and explained the situation, not withstanding the fact that I can only withdraw a maximum of $500 daily. So it begs the question, how do I have 3 separate transactions for $200? That equals $600.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

It has been nearly two hours since my 85-year-old grandfather, WWII veteran and Holocaust survivor, has been standing in the ATM booth in the snowstorm attempting to get an adequate resolution from Citibank over the phone, as none of their employees were in today. The machine took his money without crediting him with the deposit or providing a receipt, and so he was out the $100 he needed to pay his bills due tomorrow. Between the phone calls to Citibank being disconnected four times, he was unable to get any sort of helpful answer, suggestion, temporary resolution, or response to his situation as he was struggling to manage the situation.

It was nearly impossible for me to find a support specialist over the phone, and I had to guess the right answers to get there, as I was struggling to help him while missing all of his credentials and using 0 to get a person didn't work with their system. I had to do this nearly four times as they kept getting disconnected from us.

Mark ** (?) was the self-identified Client Relations Supervisor that we spoke with over the phone, along with the previous speakers before him as nobody would give us a direct line to call back so we wouldn't be repeating the process. He refused to repeat his last name to me, saying Citibank did not give out their full names, though he did previously. After spending much time getting my grandfather's information between an interpreter and asking him for all his details, he said the only thing that we could do is to file a missing deposit claim. He said it was impossible to get anyone to physically come to the location even though the dollar bills were sticking out of the ATM right there.

He didn't care that my grandfather was old, missing his medications, and freezing in the storm because he was desperate to get a resolution while he was still there and the funds visible, after we were able to finally get in touch with someone from Citi. He had no solution to offer to the issue of the bill that needed to be paid tomorrow, which I only covered through my personal credit card, not even a temporary credit to the account. He refused to take the photographic evidence of my grandfather's photos as proof, and did not provide a helpful suggestion on where to submit them. He actually told us to drive to another location, as if the other location would be able to send their employees over to this one. He kept asking us questions we had answered, such as receipts that we didn't get because the machine didn't process the deposit.

Finally, he told us that the process would take 1.5 months to "investigate" even though the bills were sticking right there out of the ATM if only someone would have sent a person over to check. I had to ask him in detail for the confirmation number of this case, as he didn't give it to us right away. If my grandfather did not receive it, I don't see how we could have pursued this matter further. He eventually left the ATM unable to get the matter resolved and no better off than if he just left right away and delayed the process.

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor