Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

Citibank Reviews

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I’m in a financial struggle at the moment and my spouse is not currently working so I called to make arrangements to keep my account open. The person I spoke to first was not very helpful and I'm sure the company has the conversation recorded. She proceeded to tell me that my account will be closed if I wanted to make arrangements which I did not understand due to a letter that I received today stating that they can help make payment arrangements. I told her never mind. I will wait till my next payment is due. Make the minimum. I just want to keep my account open. I’m in a dilemma.

It so happens that I received a phone call 5-10 min later regarding an attempt to collect a debt from the Same company that I just got off the phone with and I explained to the gentleman name Justin that was very helpful and understanding to the situation and is willing to work with me and he also did not understand why he called after I just spoke to someone about 5-10 min again but I am thankful that he did call. Justin I couldn’t get your last name but I do hope you are recognized for the great work that you do. You truly made my day much better knowing that I still have a chance. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

About 2 weeks ago I was at the Westwood branch and during my visit I have met one of the bankers by name Pavel ** - Nmls id#**, branch #624, Market Place CA13. He offer me his help and spent with me time helping to resolve some issues. He demonstrate high level of professionalism parallel with excellent customer service. I came to branches very rarely and I was very impressed by his work; nobody before was trying to help me as this person. At the end I can tell that I will try to bring at this branch in close future not less than $30000, just because of this person.

I did spoke to branch manager about his work and I asked him how can I leave feedback to their superior. He gave me advice and I left a feedback verbally to Citibank rep over the phone, the same time to make sure I do this review now through email. To get a customer sometimes take years, to lose customer you do not need even to say something, a look that you give can break relations. I really want this worker to be rewarded or promoted, people like him make a difference in our business life. Alex **. Ps. I am not perfect in English, since I never attended school in USA, but I hope you will understand my feelings.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have been banking at Citibank for over 20 years. They changed names a few times but I always stay with them. Their customer service is also good. They always help me if I have a problem, most times they can handle it through the phone. I have been very happy with Citibank.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My husband and I wanted to buy a house and take out a loan along with it. Now usually that takes a long time however Doreen sped the whole process up. She walked us through every step, was patient with all of our questions, and got everything done in a timely manner. When she found out we were having some problems on other ends of this whole process, she helped with the other departments to get everything done on time. Thanks to her and her dedication, we are now moved into the new house with everything in place on the financial side.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I selected Citibank for my mortgage as I have a long standing relationship, several open accounts and the Services and Customer Service was always outstanding. The Mortgage Loan Officer was outstanding and very helpful from the beginning of the process even while I was looking for the right home. She was very patient and responded quickly to my question whether by phone or text and explained the different options so that I could make the right decision. Though I was disappointed in the timeframe between the documentation submissions, pre-approval and final approval which was very lengthy. Applying for a mortgage during the major holidays season further delayed the approval. They also do not provide home renovation loans which would have been useful as I now have to find another way to get this done. Overall I was satisfied.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I have had it with this bank. I’ve paid them hundreds of dollars in overdraft fees which were the unfair. There online and mobile banking system is inaccurate & doesnt match up with there system. Many time I’ve check my account until the morning to see a negative balance, I clear the balance. A few days later I’m charged an overdraft fee! I call them and the claim that the charges were only paid off the next day! How is that possible? My account will literally have money in it before I go to sleep.

The next morning my account has a negative and I pay it off. Then they have inaccurate timeline of the money in my account. They’ll say an incorrect amount of money was available in my account when it was already charged. They're literally making money from me from a $4 negative balance. I’m tired of the banks making money of people for overdrafts. $4 dollars!! Really, when you're a bank that has trillions of dollars! I just don’t get it! Other banks won’t even charge you if your negative balance is under $5. I’ve literally paid an overdraft fee for $0.80.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I hope this review helps Citibank as a company to provide their employees with special training on WHAT TO DO if a special circumstance arise. On my end, basically I applied for this card about 2 weeks ago, I did receive an email with a letter attached which says that “WE ARE UNABLE TO APPROVE YOUR APPLICATION” some information in your application cannot be verified. To give you a quick understanding I have had for years an average credit score of 790, recently bought a house, and I did call them to understand what the next step should be?

Representative: informed me to call Experian and ask them to verify my account, I DID IT. After calling them back, they told me the same thing, and reissued the same letter. Where I am standing now is: my credit score got hit for no reason, that’s why I haven’t reapplied with another company! My goal is talking to someone at their Corporate office and escalate this issue. In addition, I would like to prevent things like this matter from happening in the future. I am willing to improve my review if someone at Corporate can call me and explain me what’s happening and how we can get this fix.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Conspiracy or is Citi that incompetent? Opened savings account almost 6 months ago. Large deposits allowed but soon account status closed. 20 phone calls certified mailed documents sent and received. No results... $61000 sitting somewhere? No answers. Every call I make I have to start over. They’ve never reached out to me. Phone calls are dropping. Account help department closes even after 40 minutes on hold... before closing hours. Guess I need a lawyer. I really don’t know.

Me having a PO Box as only address was good enough to deposit. They received 12 printed documents from me proving that I live where I do (for 40 years). Seems like I’ve never even reached someone that could help. Unbelievable! No branch to go to. I’ve used a business and personal card for over decade with them. Stay away if you can.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I just want to share my bad experience with Citibank Philippines (credit card department) / Agent was very rude and it sounds like that she in a rush. I’m asking the process of cancellation of my card and every time she responded to my question it sounds that she don’t want to assist which was obviously you will notice with her voice and sounds sarcastic of how she responded. Her named is ARRIANE. Happened tonight around 6:45 Pm - Jan 21, 2020. I have other questions which Agent didn’t ask if anything else she can help and looks that she wants to end the call. I asked permission to her to wait which I’m still thinking the other question I want to asked and because I’m not comfortable and little irritated to her because of how she handled the call. I placed her on hold to avoid something might happen.

When I came back on line. Agent is not responding. I waited for 20 mins but still no response. It looks that she hang up the phone. For the quality - I hope and wish this call should be review and the appropriate action is needed that agent can be turn to a Red flag. Your company will be suffer to this kind of Agent. This agent working in a local Call center should not be tolerate. Thanks and hoping to investigate this. You can email me for more information so we can avoid this incident. Posting social media. This is a very serious matter which your Company again will be suffer because of this kind of employee.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

We've had a Citibank Credit Card for years with numerous problems but decided to given them a chance and open up checking and savings accounts for my hubby and myself to get some bonuses. Horrible, Terrible, and Worst customer service doesn't even cover it. I've been doing our household finances for 30+ years and have never run into soooooo many problems doing very simple things like linking accounts. I get error messages online and am forced to chat or call and it goes from bad to worse. Can't understand 5% of the reps and get transferred from one dept to another over and over and over. STAY AWAY IF YOU WANT YOUR SANITY!!!!

Not sure about Citibank?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor