1.15/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1261 Citibank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have been a Citibank Business Customer for 7 years. I frequently have used the Citibank app to do my banking. When I started having trouble with the app, I deleted it and reinstalled it 4 times over a period of 1 week. Finally, I made the mistake of calling Citibank to ask for help. After speaking (being passed around) to 4 different people, the Technical Support Supervisor asked me to send a screenshot of the problem I was having (WTF?). I asked: "You want me to take a screenshot of a little gray box with white lines just going round and round for several minutes before it finally times out?" Answer: "Yes."

When I told the Technical Support Supervisor that my phone wouldn't allow me to take a screenshot of the little gray box with white lines going around and around in a counterclockwise circle (which he acknowledged knowing about), the Supervisor suggested I find someone in my office who could take a screenshot of the gray box with the white lines circling round and round. Really? What if I don't want someone in my office to know that I bank at CITIBANK, or that I'm having trouble with the Citibank app?

I guess customer privacy and security aren't that important when you have a technical issue. As an alternative -- if I am so concerned about protecting my privacy -- he then suggested I could leave my office, go to a Citibank branch and ask the branch manager to take a screenshot of my phone with the little gray box and white lines going round and round. Unbelievable "technical support," right? I swear on a stack of Bibles every single word of this is true. When I asked to speak to someone else, I was informed that I was speaking with a Citibank Technical Support Customer Service Supervisor. I should also add that I made this phone call after waiting almost 10 minutes for an online chat with a Citibank representative.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I signed up for the 400$ promotion for a 60 day 15k balance. Promotion never paid, so I called customer service, was told I was never signed up for the promotion. They scammed me and never paid. Don’t bank with these crooks.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I've never had such a BAD EXPERIENCE WITH A BANK AS MUCH AS I HAVE WITH CITIBANK; there are no nearby full branches, sometimes I have to drive at least 40 minutes to get to the nearest branch, Even when there, there are long lines, ATM do not work; this is even with living in a big city like Fairfax. Their fees are ridiculous, and customer service is poor! Stay away at all costs!!! CITIBANK IS JUNK! AND SHOULD BE CALLED CITI**!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

10/22/18, I discovered four $6-18,000 fraudulent charges on my cc; a month later they are still on my card and under investigation. Citibank has called to verify $3-400 charges but let $36K go through. I've had my card for 35 years w/no issues. Can't get an answer, response or resolution.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

With citibank they say I was 30-60 days late. Payments was paid. No one helps me. I called them =**=ssn=**. Email me **. Look on report ##equifax 18885487878. ** I have statement from my bb#t bank. I paid them March-24-2017. Paid in full for Feb-March.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I’ve been a cardholder with Citibank for many years. I have 3 cards with this bank. Always on time with payments always paid off or above minimum payment. In great standings with a great Credit score. Well life happened to our family and we got into some more debt with other things. BUT, still managed our accounts with Citi with perfection. Well one day they decided to take away all of our available credit with their cards. Thousands of dollars that was available in our minds as an emergency, GONE. So much so, that it made us maxed out on one card, and over the limit now on another! Never in my life have I almost maxed out a credit card.

This now affected my credit usage, available credit, which in return effects my credit score greatly! Which then ruins a bunch of other things. Then they did it again. These people are absolutely heartless, they don’t care that you’ve been with them for many years in good standings. THEY WILL ABSOLUTELY KICK YOU WHEN YOU'RE DOWN. But hey, “I’m sorry sir and I understand, but this is still a business”. None of my other credit companies treated me this way. SHAME ON CITI... Run away from these people.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Unfortunately Citibank has been the worst experience I have ever had with any financial institution. I bank with Wells Fargo, BOA, Americas First and Citibank and I have had nothing but headaches with Citi. I would not refer them to anyone ever. I have had fraudulent charges with no reversal or response after 9 months of them "reviewing", minuscule things that just causes frustration, impossibility opening a business account, undereducated staff with misinformation in departments that they "specialize" in.

I mean it's ridiculous, not to mention that 75% of representatives over the phone are rude. You never know what you are going to get. Unfortunately even the branch manager at the location by my home is always very disdaining towards myself as well as other customers. Not sure what the level of customer service requirement is but I hope it improves.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I opened a Citi/American Airlines credit card after receiving an email through American Airlines. I received the card in Sept. 2018 and began to use it. When I received the card I set up an online account to pay the statement balance each month with auto pay. I received confirmation that the auto pay was set up and the full amount owed would be paid Nov. 1.

On Nov.1 I checked my online account and the balance showed paid. On Nov. 5 I checked my checking account and found that the payment had not yet cleared. I contacted Citi to find out what happened and could not get an answer other than they didn't have a checking account number so the payment didn't go through. This is where the nightmare began. From Nov.1 to Nov.7 I spoke to over 10 Citi customer service reps who kept assuring me my payment would be processed. Finally, my payment cleared.

After this unpleasant experience, I planned to pay off the current charge before the due date so that I wouldn't have any further issues. On Nov 9, I paid the current balance online and received payment confirmation. The same problems surfaced again. I spoke with Citi Reps every day from Nov. 12 through Nov.16 to find out why they can't process my payment with my checking account. Each time I was told it would be processed.

After getting various emails to contact them about this issue I called a local Citi branch and asked for help. I had to go into the branch with all my information once again and give my banking information for the 10th time. I ended up writing a check to pay off the account and left. The customer service is awful and apparently their computer system is antiquated and cannot accept something as simple as a credit card payment. Don't open an account with Citi, the level of frustration they cause just isn't worth it. No one should have to invest the time it requires to deal with this company.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Citibank's Know Your Customer program is some unit doing account analysis, supposedly to go by the guidelines US Government has given them. The attempts to get more information from our business range from phone calls to encrypted e-mails. The e-mails have all different languages displayed and therefore seems suspicious to me, could be phishing? We never opened the e-mails and didn't believe the phone calls were from them, didn't banks specifically tell us NOT TO OPEN any e-mails or give information over the phone? It could be anyone. Next thing I know, we have our account blocked. The account can't be credited or debited until the "manager team" has reviewed and analyzed the information I submitted to them. I feel like I am being punished. I'm stressed out that some of our checks or payments don't go through.

The only reason I am giving two stars instead of 1, is that the 5 people I have spoken so far today, were very polite and answered any questions I asked. However, they are stating that reviewing this info might take 2-3 business days, which is ridiculous! It's one form about ownership and the IDs of the owners! How long does that take? It disgusts me that they seem to play god in these big corporations... They probably ran out of investment money and had to freeze some accounts. I'm going to be talking to my partner about moving OUR MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE. Hopefully, someone from Citibank reads these too.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Citibank is by far the worst experience I’ve had in over 25 years of banking. My Husband and I open a Citibank account as we were moving out of the country for work and wanted to be able to move funds for easy access as the country we were moving to has Citibank as well. Long story short, we’ve had issues with them over the course of the last 5 years with Citibank. Many times we’ve had issues with login on their app & online and note that I have other bank accounts and I do all my banking online, so not user error issues. The following issues were the worse:

(1) I made a transfer between our US Citibank account to our foreign Citibank bank account which was linked and received a confirmation email that my request was successfully received and should take place within next few business days, can’t recall exactly but generally it happens within 48 business hours. Luckily we check our accounts and noticed that after several days the foreign account was still not funded. Went online to check US bank account and noticed funds were put bank and no notification as to what happened. I called and was informed that there was a known issue and that they are working to rectify it and to please resubmit the transfer request again. I told the Citibank representative it would be nice to be notified so we know what course of action is needed as I was awaiting the money to pay for taxes. It took another attempt before I was finally able to get the funds transferred.

(2) The latest episode is an incident whereby I was contacted via text (sms) and email of a FRAUD Alert that a check was applied to my account and if it was my transaction. Since I rarely use checks, I logged into my account to view this check which was not a check from my account (literally check shows someone else’s name and address and issued to a vendor for tax payment). I was provided a question if “I recognise the activity?” With simply a “yes” or “no” button. Since it’s not my check I pushed no. My mobile phone then rings and it’s Citibank putting me in the queue to speak to a Citibank representative. 25 minutes later I finally get someone online. I explain that check that was showing on my account is not part of my check stock that it shows someone else’s names, etc.

She said but it shows the last 4 digits of my bank account number so it appears someone stole my bank info. So I confirmed that, "You mean someone got a hold of my bank account and made fake checks and stole my money?" She said yes. My next question is how do I get my money back and I was told I had to file a dispute on the transaction and they will investigate and if I was willing to file a police report, etc if need be. So we filed dispute and she informed me my account has been blocked and I will need to go to a branch and get a new account number. It’s now 4:30pm, about an hour since the call was initiated by Citibank, so I was going to head to the bank the next morning to take care of this since the branch would close by the time I get there. Luckily or unluckily, all this is happening while I’m in the US for work and holidays.

Next morning I receive a call from their investigation/dispute team at 9am and she notifies me that there was an error in which Citibank erroneously applied another customer check to my bank account and they will credit my account for that incorrect transaction. I then asked if I still had to go into a branch to get new account. She replies no and that the block should be lifted within 30 minutes and I should be able to access my account. I tried to login later in the morning and the app indicates they are having difficulties and try again later. I try again late in the evening and it indicates I might have recently received new ATM card or account number. I call Citibank again as I cannot access my account now and was on the call for 45 minutes before being dropped by the manager.

So on this call, I was informed that they have cancelled my ATM card because of the fraud dispute even though the block was removed as this happened before investigation. Ok, fair enough, but it would of been nice to be notified of that so I know what course is action was required as they did not automatically sent another card to me and the investigation agent told me I did not have to visit a bank branch. So at this point, the inconvenience of not having access to see my account until I get new ATM card, which will be sent to me in another 24-48 hours as I just requested for it. Thank goodness they are not my only bank if I was in need of money.

So with all this inconvenience, I ask if my husband’s ATM card was also cancelled since it was a joint account and that they should ship both our cards to us before we leave the US. They said no, his card was not impacted. How is that possible as the ‘disputed charge or fraud claim’ was related to a check on our bank account and not my ATM card so won’t that affect all account holders if they were cancelling ATM cards? We are going to test my husband’s ATM card tomorrow as I have no confidence in what Citibank representative tells me now.

And worst thing is after the manager was disconnected, Citibank never called me back and they confirm my numbers multiple times in the last two days from all the calls. So Citibank is definitely making us feel like we are not a valued customer. We will most likely take our money to another bank that has a global presence. So if you want to be put on hold, not notified of things, not apologising for their Company errors, etc then this is the right bank for you. I understand it’s not easy being in customer service but that’s your first line of contact and if they don’t know what’s going on or advising incorrectly these are the issues that can happen. I also work in the financial service industry and this seriously is really poor service.

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg