Citibank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have the American Airlines MasterCard with a $450 annual fee. The AA lounges have turned to be lame in maintenance and quality of service provided. None of my complaints was ever resolved. I recently started a dispute with a merchant in Argentina. Only one week after that Citibank credits my account the full amount was charged again with no previous explanation or notification. At the same time that I start to deal with the dispute department from Citibank, my card is blocked for use overseas. Citibank failed to assist me with this problem and I'm still unable to use my card.

Amy from the executive office called me several times making me spend money in long distance phone calls. This person has no idea about disputes and kept asking me for more information even when plenty of documents as invoice, mails to the merchant, summons to court, bill for a replacement item, detail of missing merchandise and/defective service, dates of contacts, details of missing products, etc, etc was sent.

Over two months later Citibank does not resolve the dispute neither proceeds to refund me the amount requested for items never received. Ms. Desoer, the CEO at Citibank was notified via email and she has clearly ignored each one of my emails Not to say the lack of professional courtesy considering that she was informed about the fact the I'm the CEO of an American company. I do plan to cancel my credit card upon returning to USA and file a complaint about this false advertisement. Citibank promotes consumer protection and completely fails to honor this advertisement. I will check each one of my credit cards and proceed to cancel all the ones related with the Citibank. I will also urge my staff to avoid the Citibank at any expense.

My husband and I were U.S. Airlines mastercard holders for at least 5 years. When American Airlines merged with U.S. Air our credit cards were changed. We received new cards from Citibank. Apparently, my husband owed $23.00 on his old card. Never knew about it. Never received an email or a letter until Citibank sent him to a credit agency. His credit rating is 830. We spend an average amount of $5,000 per month and paid the card in full each month. Citibank would not waive the $23.00 fee which we were unaware of. We have cancelled all of our cards with Citibank and will never do business with them again. I am happy we found this out now.

I do not have a problem paying my bills, yet somehow Citibank comes up with ways to miraculously lose my payments! (And of course they never tell me about it until after the late charge is already in place.) I have banked with them for years and it wasn't until they took over my Best Buy card (previously managed by Chase Bank with no issues by the way) that I started experiencing problems. First problem: They refuse to combine my personal account with my Best Buy Card. Every other bank seems to have the ability to manage the store cards and personal cards from the same account, but not this one. Second problem: I set up auto-pay and they wait until 33 days later to send me any sort of notification that the payment didn't go through.

Third problem: They don't send bills, or they send them to the wrong place after multiple corrections. Fourth problem: I tried making an account online time and again, and they make it so ridiculously difficult to do so that it literally took 2 months to complete. (They said I had to have my Best Buy card, even though I can use my account to pay for stuff at the store with just my social). Fifth problem: They shut down all three of their banks in my area just a year or two ago so now the closest installation of their faulty service is multiple hours away. They are not interested in their clients' well-being, just trying to take advantage of their situation as a lender in as shady a way as possible. Good riddance Citibank, you deserve to fail.

I need a letter from Citibank saying it's your fault why none of my bills are getting paid because of this block you have on my checking account that nobody can remove, unless I come into the branch I started at and that is in Freeport New York. I did 20 years ago. Now I live in Tampa Florida 13 years. I am on Dialysis 3 times a week. I get around on a scooter. I am 68 years old. My Husband Nick is 73 years old. Are you trying to kill us by hold our only livelihood. HOSTAGE our social security checks pension and retirement money does not even add up to 2000 dollars. Why us. I going to try my best to get this one the news. What would you do if this was you or your parents?

I have been lied to about my account being off this block since Dec 31 2016 by bank worker. I have it all on my phone so keep lying Citibank workers. I do know some of them really tried but they could not do it. Who can remove it. Please do tell. I use to think very highly of Citibank now not so much. I cannot pay my rent or any of my bills. I will probably lose my insurance because of Citibank but the question is will they step up and take the blame for what has happen to my Husband and I. I think I need a Lawyer.

I hold a non resident ordinary (NRO) and non-resident external (NRE) accounts with Citibank over more than a decade. My experience with these accounts is that they are difficult to make deposits into and even more to get any kind of money out. I have struggles with problem after problem and my conversations with a remote help desk are filled with placatory bromides from the staff and readings from standard customer scripts. I am fed up with trying to get the things one does in the US normally with Citibank NRI services.

Setting up an online account. Haven't been able to despite several failed attempts. After each attempt, the site is locked out for several days. I am an IT professional who is in the business and this website has got to be the worst one I have ever reached. The user interface sucks as does the validation processes. The phone on record was a phone I had more than five years ago. To be able to log in I need a one time password on a phone I no longer have. Unfortunately everything to do with the bank is only through the online account. I have been unable to escalate the matter with Citibank despite emails complaining to them. It appears they are not only uncaring but tone deaf to the customer voice while they put out saccharin sweet message about being customer oriented.

I had received two debit cards by mail from India that are delivered during business hours to my home (registered address) necessitating a Saturday trip to the Post Office to take possession. Several weeks later two sets of PINs showed up (same registered letters and two trips to the Post Office). When I tried to use the cards, they were not honored.

The staff on the 800 helpline will only handle one matter at a time - possibly instructions from their managers to minimize customer interactions. They are also tied in terms of what they can do. On occasion I have provided my date of birth, my registered address, my passport, the name of the person named as a nominee and every other piece of information known to man. Despite all this they are very reluctant and express inability to help. When asked for escalation, I found there was no recourse.

When a fixed deposit matured, I asked the 800 help desk to transfer money from my deposit account to the checking account. To my surprise they said they could not do it despite the fact that the two accounts belonged to the same customer. They asked me to write a letter requesting the transfer to some post office box in New York. When I did, I have not heard back but I did receive a notice from Citibank that rather than closing out and transferring the money per my request, they had renewed the deposit for 12 more months at half the rate of interest.

Citibank is an example of how not to do banking. I am looking forward to the day when I can end my relationship with this bank and take my business to a place where the customer is really appreciated as shown by the degree of service orientation. From the time my account was opened in the Fairfax Branch of Virginia, Citibank first closed out the NRI desk and then last week I found the furniture also cleaned out. This monster created by Sanford Weill is slowly going the way of the dinosaurs - hastened by a lot of careless managers and branches that seem to take the customer for granted and are drunken with their own importance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

I had two accounts with Citibank. One was with Expedia for travel purposes, and the other was by default Costco. I have never had a problem paying my bills. They have always been paid on time, in full. Until this year! The first time was with my Costco card. I was first called by Citibank saying I never paid my June bill. Which I had because at the time it was still with American Express. There was a late charge added, of course by Citibank. I told them it was paid, and through American Express. I had even received an email and letter stating I didn't have to pay, but did anyway. Then, it turned into I didn't pay July, then August, then September.

I finally closed the account and card. I finally spoke to someone in collections that said it was an $8 difference between what I paid and what was due in August, but for some reason even on the bill... It didn't show it!! He had to go digging into the account record to find this information. The only way I managed to speak to him was because I told a manager that if they wanted money it wasn't going to happen until they fixed the account because I would file for bankruptcy before paying them one more dime. Then, it would whatever would be agreed to in bankruptcy court. Plus, I was sure anyone I hired would be able to follow the paper trail along with every call I made, and would find how screwed up the account was by Citibank's own doing.

Then, my Expedia card started having the same exact billing issues. I paid online, received confirmation, then, lo and behold the payment didn't go through, and I start receiving numerous phone calls saying I didn't pay. Just this month, I became so peeved after having the card for 3 years, I closed it! Do I know it will effect my credit score, yes! But having a bad credit score is way better than dealing with a company that screws over their customers by not being forthcoming with information and magically screwing up 2 separate accounts with late fees and magically making payments disappear to apply said late fees. Now I am magically having the same thing happen with my Macy's card that just happens to be controlled by them. Guess that will be the next one I close.

Checked CrediWise as I do monthly and saw a surprise balance for an old Citi card that I no longer use. I called Citi for help and was told that balance was so high it exceeded the limit. Instead of helping or transferring me to the fraud dept, they transferred me to a collection agency! I've been a customer for 18 years and my credit score is 827. They basically will not help in any way.

I had to recently contact Citibank because fraud protection was preventing me from making a large purchase. I called, selected English as my language, and was connected to a representative. She asked my name, and after I said it, she asked what language I spoke. What?? I was surprised and offended. Did she ask because my last name is Asian, and my first name, while not unheard of, is not that common? No customer service representative has ever asked me what language I spoke. Why didn't she wait for me to speak more words before she making the assumption that I might not speak English. I was born in the United States, and have no accent, unless it's a California one.

I had to repeat my name, then I said English language, partly to confirm that I did in fact speak English and because I was irritated. She said, if I couldn't stay professional on the call, then she would end up. Never have I encountered such attitude by a representative. I was not abusive, or angry, and during the call up until that point, I had only spoken my name 2x, my account number, and had confirmed that I spoke English. I hope I never have to contact them again. And I'll definitely being using my Citi cards less.

They claim that you "signed up" for paperless... When intuitively it is known that these "informed consents" to paperless are sneakily embedded into the website so that you believe you're clicking "next" because you have a life and the world does not revolve around spending time on a friggin' sillibank website... And, of course, you've SIGNED up for their paperless service. Then, you receive no paper bill, miss your payment, and they charge you a late fee. After 15 years of being a customer, I became a cursetomer today... Closed account today because being upset is really no way to spend a holiday. Can't wait to get the class action settlement statement in the mail for this business practice in a couple of years...

So I was very happy when my husband was approved by Citibank. Cash is a little low this Christmas and they were offering 0 Apr for 18 months. Seemed like a God send. Approval was a little over 6 thousand. He gave me a 2 thousand limit for Christmas figuring we could have it paid within three months. Well Christmas hopes shattered. I went online to get started, made my purchases at Walmart, Kmart, went to check out at Toys R us and my card was locked. Understandably. It is a new card and I was making a lot of purchases. SO THEY CALLED MY HUSBAND. He verified I was Christmas shopping and everything was fine. They said they would unlock the card. We repeated this process no less than 6 frigging times yesterday what a nightmare and the card is still locked.

So far I spent a little over 900 on a 6000 credit limit and Citibank is not letting me make anymore purchases. Why send the damn card??? So I have half my shopping done with 7 days to go. Now they want him to call them from work. Not going to happen. He lays concrete in the field - no work phone. Why approve the card then not let us use it. I would have gone a different route had I been aware. CHRISTMAS RUINED. Thanks Citibank. This has been unduly stressful. We had offers for any number of cards based on income and my husband's credit report. Unfortunately I chose this one. Now 7 days before Christmas trying to finish shopping on a shoestring budget. Don't approve cards you don't want people to actually use.

I have a Citibank account in US and I came to India for vacation and I lost the card. I raised to block it and they blocked it...raised a request to provide replacement card. I provided the card to my India address (due to missing address line it got delayed and somehow I got it). Though they didn't provide any alert or information or notification regarding anything that it has been sent or regarding the tracking no. But they send me the card with same no and which is not able to activate, hence they suggested to reorder and now after 4 days they mentioned the country name wrongly and hence courier is not sent. No notification regarding that. When I called them for tracking no. they are saying this. I finally after long now again reorder. Agents are taking more time to do it even though it is ending in wrong information update.

To do this totally 1 hr for first time order, 3 hours for second time order, 1:30 hours for third time order. Finally Supervisor said that "we apologize" and disconnected the call. I was asking her a query regarding when it will get delivered. She said "above words" and disconnected the call. They are not listening to the customer words properly and doing work for just to time pass and get the pay. Worst service. There is no email escalation for Citibank US. After 10 days also still card is not sent from US. My account is also completely blocked (including online). Am not able to do any processing or do payments or anything. I m not able to give negative stars.

Scam-Fraud Citibank - Account Opening. After being a loyal customer for 15 years, CitiBank (Lake Success, NY Branch) forced me to open a Savings account mentioning that I can earn up to 10 times of an interest which can come down to $400 a month. They intentionally hid the information that $400 is ONE TIME only. Not a recurring interest! The day was a very important day for me in my life not having a single minute to waste. The Rep Rosy ** of that branch kept on saying it would only take 10 minutes. It took over an hour as she said the system was slow not keeping my other commitment of my 9 year old son, not attending a Good Bye party. When I saw I only got $1 interest, I called the 1800 No. They said it is only one time $400, that I can earn after 6 months!

Rosy ** knew when I was handling thousands of dollars, I did not care about only $400, that is a peanuts to me. I would not care about that $400 for that precious and very important day in my life! I spoke to Susie ** today, she said this is not a fraud. Not mentioning that 'Opening an Account' for a Customer who kept on saying she does not have a single minute time, does not care about only $400. Not explaining the 'RIGHT THING, only up to $400'. The Bank Manager Guy ** should take care of that 'Citibank Account Opening Scam'. Just forget how to treat a customer who is a loyal customer for 15 years, and PRESSURE to open an account, so the Bank center can meet some target of how many accounts they have opened that year!

I have had the absolute worst experience with Citibank and their customer service department. I ordered a credit card and was notified via e-mail it was returned. The e-mail stated I needed to log on to my account to correct my address. I was unable to do so because I never received my card, therefore couldn't create an account. I called customer service and expected to simply verify my address so my card could be resent. However, when speaking to the man 'helping' me, he asked to verify my security word.

I was told my security word was incorrect numerous times. (It wasn't.) What should have been a 5 minute call turned into a 45 minute call on my lunch break. I eventually hung up because I was going in circles trying to prove my identity. The next day I called back hoping to get someone different. I got the same person. This time I had a block on my account because my card to labeled as fraud. I again said my same security word and after arguing to prove my identity, my word was finally accepted.

This whole ordeal started on Monday. It is now Friday. I've had to go to the bank in person twice already and call customer service every day this week more than once. I was given wrong information numerous times as well as told different things by different people. I still do not have my card. I never received an answer on why my card wasn't delivered initially. I verified my address and there wasn't anything wrong. This customer service department or more specifically whoever assist in the credit card department needs to be retrained. I ordered the simplicity credit card, and have had nothing but a headache trying to receive it. Far from simplicity. I've never had such an issue dealing with a bank. I will never open up another account with this bank again!

I had a mortgage account with Citibank. I paid it off and have some credit with Citibank. I am waiting for last 4 months to get back my money. Every time I call them, they reassure me that you will get a cheque or answers like 'you will be contacted in 24 hours'. In fact they never did. I am calling them again and again to get my own money. After keeping me on hold for long long times, every time a new person give me same answer. Citibank is highly disappointing and the worst bank. Don't ever go to them if you do not want mental stress.

Why are banks allowed to charge outrageous overdraft or insufficient charges when they don't even pay for the item that is presented? Citibank is not covering for the presented item anyway, why can they be allowed to charge $34 per day or per transaction? My auto car insurance was presented for payment. I didn't have enough in my account, therefore, Citibank charged me $68. I paid my auto insurance directly so it would not be presented to my bank again. Regardless of my efforts to avoid anymore insufficient charges, Citibank kept charging me $34 even though they didn't pay my car insurance for me. I called Citibank to inform them that I'm having financial problems for I've been looking for work and every penny counts to me at this very difficult time. I pleaded that they reverse the $204 they charged me in November alone. Citibank said NO, and to look at my agreement with their bank.

Made a purchase using their store purchase only, credit card. The purchase didn't even amount to fifty dollars. But I ended up being late making the payment, and that's when it started. They would call my house four to six times a day, and never leave a message, and if someone answered, they'd just hang up. They did this seven days a week.

But then, after I called them and asked them to stop calling my home, they knew by law they had to stop. So, what they did in retaliation for this, was to pass my number along to some kind of call database, and I immediately within a half an hour, began receiving all types of weird calls from different numbers from everywhere in the country, all day long every day. However, once I paid them in full, the calls immediately began to minimize. They haven't completely stopped, but have slowed down tremendously. I didn't pay them because of the harassment. I paid them because I owed them the money, and I always pay my bills. My advice to anyone looking to do business with this bank, is to not do it. They are extremely petty and low.

I called in trying to simply report my card lost. The lady on the other end had could not understand me and I could barely understand her. A phone call that should have taken only 3 minutes took 25. Not only was there a horrible lack of communication and understanding but the lady became very short and rude with me. I am going to be canceling my account with Citibank because this is just one of the many times that they have been difficult to work with.

So I decided to help others by sharing my experience. I have a professional account with Citibank. Their ATM never works and it's a pain to deposit checks. Their app is the only one on the market that doesn’t do remote check deposit. Today I realized a fraudulent transaction was posted on my account. Called them. The CSR was rude and obviously hates his job. Was almost treated like a criminal. Their system failed to contact me to alert me... major security breach. Their website is very convoluted and not user- friendly. I already opened accounts at other banks, ready to close Citibank. Yes ...even Bank of America is better. Overall unacceptable experience.

My mother recently passed away. She had many debts in her name, but Citi is the only one who felt the need to call 3 times a day, every single day. All they ask for is her by name, when you tell them that you aren't her they immediately hang up. I finally got a word in that she had passed, and they asked for a spouse. I told them that she was divorced, and again an immediate disconnect. Nevermind that they are speaking directly to the executor of the estate. How do they expect to collect on any debt with this level of service? Thank God I don't have any business with them.

I requested a line of credit increase, which was approved. The increase was to purchase major kitchen appliances at COSTCO. I decided not to purchase the appliances because I received a better deal from another merchant. Prior to requesting the increase, I asked the following question: Would I be allowed to decrease my credit limit to the original amount that was on my credit card, if I decide not to purchase? The employee said yes. I decided not to purchase the appliances because it was sold out. I called back a couple of days later and requested to decrease the credit card limit back to the original amount. The employee that I spoke with said I could not decrease it below a certain dollar amount and that I had to keep it at the higher dollar amount, which I did not want.

I was misled in increasing my credit limit under the premise that I could decrease back to my original amount whenever I chose too. Cancelling the credit card is not an option, as it will go against my Credit Score. This can also affect me in opening another type of credit card or applying for a loan. I feel deceived and lied to by Citibank. We know that some banks are in business for themselves and don't care about the customers. It's what the customer can do for them and forget everything else. I am sorry COSTCO stopped doing business with American Express as their credit card company for an untrusted misleading company. When it comes down to not having the ability to decrease your credit limit is unacceptable. What is the harm in requesting less money to utilize on your credit card? I hope COSTCO goes back to using American Express as their credit card company. I am a very dissatisfied Citibank cardholder.

Omg, worst harassment in my life from a someone trying to get my business. I wrote to the fraud dept twice (only option I could see for a person with no acct there), and asked them to stop sending applications and bothering me with them. I receive a minimum of 2-3 per week that I shred. This has been going on for about 2 years now. I see that they have a complaint process link in Google, but you must have an account with them to file one. No thanks ever, Citibank. I have all major cc's but will never, ever want yours. Completely clueless as to how to market themselves attractively.

Both my girlfriend and myself have had numerous issues with Citibank. They're literally incompetent. I have had my credit card info for Citibank stolen multiple times, never ever ever had a problem with any of my other cards. My girlfriend's card info was stolen and her account used, Citibank opened an investigation and assigned a person who did not answer the phone for 2 months! Finally answering to say that the investigation and account were closed. Citibank neglected to return any of the money nor did they contact her during any part of this "investigation". Unbelievably unprofessional. We are both closing all of our Citibank accounts and will be taking legal action. Use another bank.

Citi just canceled my card without any reasons. I called customer service and they asked me to write (cannot call, fax or email) to their Executive Response Unit based out of Sioux Falls, SD. All of my cash rewards (close to $1000) have also been wiped out. Again, when I talked about that with a customer service rep, the answer was to write their ERU. I cannot believe Citi would do something like this out of the blue. I have a credit score of over 800. I have existing relationships with many other major banks. I have all kinds of credit cards issued to me by major issuers including Chase, American Express, BoA, etc. I have never encountered anything similar to this.

I don't know why Costco chose Citi as partner. Costco cares about their members and make their members' happiness their number one priority. Citi is just the opposite. I'm sure Costco has already regretted the marriage. I urge all Costco members to collectively voice their unhappiness towards this marriage. Banking regulators, please do not ignore all these many complaints on this website and many other social media and consumer comment sites such as Facebook and Yelp. Time to look into Citibank. Don't let a few executives or operators at Citibank be the bully everyone hates!

This is regarding Citibank Diamond Preferred card. My suggestion - avoid, these people are thugs and violate the terms and condition and have no ethics. They will dispute your transactions and will not notify you. They will make transaction on their own and make you pay the bill. They will not respond to you regarding this utter violation of the terms and conditions (I honestly think what they do is illegal by creating transaction without the consumer consent).

Here is my experience: I used Citibank Diamond Preferred master card credit card for making paying towards my real state license to bureau of real estate. The Citibank fraud department disputed these charges the first week of transaction without my authorization and did not contact me or seek approval regarding this dispute at all. It should be consumer who need to initiate the dispute. They didn't even send me a letter asking permission or notifying me of this dispute.

As a result my license was declared void and I received a letter from the bureau of real estate to make the payment plus fine because earlier credit card payment was disputed and refunded. The method of payment needed to be personal check or cashier check. I make the payment via personal check. After 3 months Citibank for some reason reversed their decision and make the payment to Bureau of real estate, this also without my permission and I happen to know about this by finding this transaction in my latest statement. Now, there is double payment to the Bureau of real estate.

The Citibank is consistently avoiding to resolve this issue and trying all the delay tactics to not to recover the amount. This include blaming me for this fiasco and not accepting their mistake, forwarding the case to Citibank investigator. Moreover I also found out that the bureau of real estate never got the payment made after 3 months. It appears they just added to my account.

The Citibank was wrong in 1) disputing the charge the first time without my authorization, 2) Keeping me in the dark during this dispute process and not seeking my approval or notifying me in writing, 3) Making the payment 3 months later on my behalf without my approval and without notifying me, 4) Delaying the reversal of this payment as I didn't authorize this payment, 5) Causing severe loss of time (over 50 calls and some calls over 1 hour) and jeopardizing my real estate license because of Citibank actions.

As a result I have to experience 1) Fine for late payment, 2) not been able to make payment to the Comcast by credit card and have to make cash payment in person, 3) I am forced to pay what Citibank supposedly paid to real estate bureau dollars as a result. This is added to my balance. The Citibank is not interested in recovering the amount which they paid without permission, 4) I was forced to take immediate action to avoid voiding the real estate license because of Citibank disputing the charges and not letting me know that the payment is reversed, 5) Massive frustration because of Citibank delayed tactics. I send the personal check copy as proof of payment three time before the acknowledge receiving it (as an example). Any phone call to them starts with their no knowledge of this issue.

I just returned from the Home Depot in College Station, Texas. The charge accounts for Home Depot is run by Citibank. The cashier at Home Depot was MOST helpful. The following is not her fault. I tried buying a $150.00 gift certificate for a friend that I have know for some 35 years. Friday is his birthday, and a person can always used a Home Depot gift certificate. What I thought would be easy turned into 15 minutes of pure hell.

I have a $6100.00 credit limit, which has gone down a bit having bought a chainsaw (By the way... that chainsaw is going BACK TO HOME DEPOT after this incident, tomorrow!!). Anyway, the $150.00 request for the gift certificate did not go through. Citibank wanted "extra" verification of who I was. By the way, the Home Depot clerk (MOST courteous) was on the telephone for many minutes. I even went back to my pickup truck to put away the chainsaw oil that I had bought (By the way, that oil is GOING BACK TO HOME DEPOT tomorrow, too!).

So after about 10 minutes, the Home Depot cashier hands me the phone after I had returned from my pickup truck having put away the chainsaw oil. The guy would not approve me saying they did not know who I was. I told him I have a photo ID (Texas Drivers License) with my Home Depot Credit Card. No, that was not enough. He asked about my cell phone #. I gave it to him correctly. He said he would text some sort of info to me. I said "I do not have my cell phone on me." He said he could not process my request, then. He claimed the cell phone was more "secure" than a photo state issued ID.

REALITY CHECK: Citibank needs to train their CSR's better. A cell phone is good, secure way of verifying a person's identity??? That's totally STUPID. Anyone can go to a cell phone retailer and buy a phone. No phone retailer ask for an ID. That is if you pay in cash. They could care less. Why do you think cell phones are so popular with scammers and terrorists?? Anyway... He transferred me to his supervisor. She was very condescending. In short, she was as useful as a trap door on a canoe.

SUMMARY: I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars at Home Depot. And have paid thousands in interest fees. I tore up my card at the store and will be returning the chainsaw back to H.D. My balance will be less than a $100.00 & will pay that off. I'm thru with HD. And more so... CITIBANK. Please read and heed!!!

Opened a business account, days later they call me to tell me they have to change the address because of their system. So far so good. One week later I find out while trying to make a deposit that my BUSINESS account is blocked. I am the only business contact so if I didn't get the notification means they did not notify anyone before blocking a business account... wait for it... yes the reason they block my account was missing documentation. When I called their call center because it was past 4 pm (I guess their tellers and bankers are more privilege than normal people as they work less hours) they couldn't offer me a solution other to return to this hell hole.

Question here: How do they open a business account without the proper documentation. Do they really think is OK to block a Business account without notifying anyone? Really no solutions? Citibank ** up, no one tells me about it, they block my account and I am offered no solutions other than lose that day and go back to that hell hole just to see what document is missing. Really? They called me to change an address in the system which I didn't ask for and that doesn't affect me at all but I get no notification when they block my account? Their answer to this claims: "We can do that, we are allowed to that." What do you want me to do? "Oh wait it seems your account has been reactivated and no extra documentation was needed" (so I lost two trips to the bank and $2500 for no reason other than "we can do it"). Horrible place to open a business account. Don't do it here and don't do it in Citibank.

This bank has threaten me with account closures because I don't reply or call them on my account that been open with me since October of 2013. What is it they need to verify? Now after the last year of the poor business and banking practices I requested to close out my accounts. On the 19th they replied back they would close out my account in the next business days, that was 11 days ago. More of their deceptive, them deciding the way they will do business.

In January, I signed up for a Citibank Card with Best Buy in order to get a discount on purchasing a TV. A few months later, I requested a two funds transfers from my card to my bank account because I did not have the funds to pay a bill. The first one went through. The second, for $300 with a $15 fee, never reached my credit union. In April, I began a dispute process because I never received the funds. I have now provided two copies of my bank statement - one in June, the other in Oct - to show the funds never arrived. I never heard from them after sending the first. Today, I received a letter in reply to the second stating that the previous correspondence did not reflect a $300 deduction from my credit union account. THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM DISPUTING! What is wrong with these people? Do NOT SIGN UP FOR A CARD WITH THEM!

I recently got Citibank Costco card. There were 2 fraudulent transactions. Citibank sent me an email that they see suspicious activity and they blocked card. They called me to verify. When they called me, they had no idea about fraud transaction. I opened my account and told them about fraud transactions. They changed my card. After couple of days when I logged in, there was nothing in Dispute Center section of website. I called them again and they had no idea on transactions I disputed. So, I told them about these transactions. By this time, I had 4 fraud transactions. I changed my card again and disputed transactions. Same story after 2 days that I called them again and they could not find my disputes. I ended disputing same transactions 4 times to get them solved. They changed my card 4 times but seems their fraud detection and dispute system does not work. I am very disappointed with service.

I have been an account holder of Citibank for 13 years. I never missed a payment, used my bill pay & checking account regularly. Last July 9, 2016, I took advantage of their special promotion. Their promotion indicated that if you deposit a certain amount, leave the money with them for 3 months, you will be given a credit amounting to $400.

I did just that. I went to the bank (5554 California Ave, Bakersfield, CA 93309) on a Saturday, July 9th. I was made to wait for 3 long hours since there was only ONE bank officer who was handling client inquiries other than withdrawal & deposits. The bank officer took the flyer I brought, read the details of the promotion and he took note of the promo code pertaining the promotion. After a new account was successfully opened by the officer, he instructed me to deposit the money to one of the tellers. I was assured that $400 will be credited to my account after 90 days, as long as the money I deposited remains intact and untouched, it should all be good.

I visited the branch on September 9, 2016 to follow up. I was told that there was a problem on my account and it would be elevated to the manager of the bank. Since September until today, October 28th - I have called and made numerous follow-ups with the bank and the 1800 number, only to be told by the bank manager herself, and multiple customer service representatives, that I was "ineligible" to receive the promotional credit since it was only offered to NEW account holders.

Personally, I feel misled by their FALSE ADVERTISING. After they took & held my money for FOUR MONTHS, they would only tell me NOW that I cannot be given the $400 credit simply because I am ineligible for that promotion? They should have denied opening a new account for me if they deemed I was ineligible WHILE I was there on July 9th! It was their mistake, why can't they rectify the problem they created? My experience with this branch was a classic SWITCH AND BAIT with Citibank.

I would be very careful dealing this branch. Because of this extremely bad experience with them, I have decided to close my account and put my money elsewhere, where I would be treated FAIRLY and appreciated, after many years of loyal banking with them. It is so ironic they are aggressive in getting new account holders to bank with them but they can't salvage the old, faithful ones that have stuck with them all through the years. So I guess this is what I get for being their LOYAL and active account holder of 13 years, being completely screwed up.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.
  • Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.
  • Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.
  • Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.
  • Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.
  • Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.
  • Best for U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions