1.09/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Citibank

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Citibank Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have been banking at Citibank for over 20 years. They changed names a few times but I always stay with them. Their customer service is also good. They always help me if I have a problem, most times they can handle it through the phone. I have been very happy with Citibank.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My husband and I wanted to buy a house and take out a loan along with it. Now usually that takes a long time however Doreen sped the whole process up. She walked us through every step, was patient with all of our questions, and got everything done in a timely manner. When she found out we were having some problems on other ends of this whole process, she helped with the other departments to get everything done on time. Thanks to her and her dedication, we are now moved into the new house with everything in place on the financial side.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Alameda branch is the closest, so I solve all my banking needs there. Every time the service is impeccable. On Apr. 27 it was again time for banking and had to talk to the manager, Mr. Ryan **. He was fast, courteous, efficient, nice. I was truly impressed. Good job!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I selected Citibank for my mortgage as I have a long standing relationship, several open accounts and the Services and Customer Service was always outstanding. The Mortgage Loan Officer was outstanding and very helpful from the beginning of the process even while I was looking for the right home. She was very patient and responded quickly to my question whether by phone or text and explained the different options so that I could make the right decision. Though I was disappointed in the timeframe between the documentation submissions, pre-approval and final approval which was very lengthy. Applying for a mortgage during the major holidays season further delayed the approval. They also do not provide home renovation loans which would have been useful as I now have to find another way to get this done. Overall I was satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Every time I contact this financial institution I always feel confident and all my issues are handled by people who are there to assist and accommodate their customers. Never was I left unsatisfied with their professional personnel! Keep up the good work Citibank???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Tried to deposit $1M into a higher interest account. 2.05% vs %1.85 I was receiving. NEVER got ANY on-line access in 15 days. Monet was never deposited. Multiple phone calls, to offshore call centers (where English is DEFINITELY not the preferred language), yielded nothing. Found out $ never transferred because Citibank REFUSED it. "Too large of a deposit. No one has clearance to accept this". Whaaat?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I've had a Citibank credit card for over 25 years and my credit score averages 815. I've always paid my full bill at the end of the billing cycle; ever since computers became part of our daily lives I've had automatic payments set up to take care of it. A few months ago I decided to go with paperless billing, especially because I often had a $0 balance on the card. I realized a month or 2 ago that I really needed to start using the card occasionally to keep it active and open. Every month when I got the email statement, if there was a balance, I would write it down in my check register.

In November I noticed that the automatic payment hadn't paid. I waited a day or two to make sure it had time to post, then called them. They then informed me that I am not enrolled in autopay, my payment was late and they were charging me a late fee plus interest. When I tried to find out what had happened to my autopay enrollment they wouldn't discuss it with me; even a supervisor wouldn't listen to me but talked over me and said I'd never had autopay!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Switch from bank of America because they were holding my checks too long, only to be joining your bank that I can never use the debit card. They kept telling me the ATMs with the things that were messed up in obliged me to go from ATM to ATM. I've been on customer service phone calls over a total of 10 hours within the first week that I was with them. I just called and verify my account while they're asking me for my account number while I was driving, couldn't see it, answered every other question they wouldn't let me in my own account. I absolutely hate these people. Now they're forcing me to give them at least one star they don't even deserve the option.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Today I received an email from my Mint app (Mint is a budgeting app) saying that I had a fee on my Citibank account with our credit cards. It did not say which one. I telephoned customer service and discovered there was no fee. However, since my husband has passed and I am only an approved user and not the primary cardholder I was informed that I would have to close the account. They were not able to change me to the account holder. I was put on hold to apply for a new account and then disconnected.

I tried to call back and found it almost impossible to get a real person. I had to go through a chat to get a different customer service number and when I was finally able to explain my situation I was in tears and I heard someone laughing in the background and hung up in frustration. Then I tried to call again and discovered that I should just probably apply online since it was unusual to apply on the phone. The reason I wasn't able to get a real person is because I had to go through a recorded menu which required information involved with the accounts which had just been closed so none of my information was valid anymore.

The only way to contact customer service otherwise was to send a letter which I did stating that I had never seen such poor customer service. I then dealt with a different bank and a different credit card and was told that I would be allowed to take over as primary cardholder on that account. It was in much better experience. At first I felt somewhat ashamed and embarrassed that I became so emotional but I realize that in the context of being a widow of only 2 months and this being the account that I use every single day to pay for practically everything and the fact that my husband always paid more than the balance and was probably a perfect customer I think it is perfectly valid for me to be upset. I have just read several other reviews here and see that Citibank's customer service rating is very bad. I am not a bit surprised. They need to improve this service.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My husband and I decided to sign up for a savings account. I went online and tried to fill out the online application and totally filled it out 3 times and the website would not move forward. So I called the toll free line and they said their website was having problems. By the way, it was an extremely difficult task to get a live person to talk with. I explained that I wanted to open a new account and he said he could transfer me so I was transferred and answered some of the questions and then I was transferred again to answer more questions.

During this time, I find out that I can not put my husband on the account because he was not present in the room. By this time, it was over an hour on the phone. The process was not complete and they needed to mail me some documents. I wait more than a week for the documents to get to me and then find out that I need to either fax or snail mail 3 more documents. I fax the documents and call 7 days later and they have no record of the fax for which I have a printed confirmation. I ask to speak to a manager at this point. She tells me their back office is backed up and I need to wait longer for them to process. Also I need to provide a credit card statement or utility bill with my name on it. Our utilities and bills are set up in my husband's name so I can't do that. She has no idea what I need to do to open an account. All this for us to deposit our money in their bank. I cancelled the process at that point.

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg