Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Citibank is a long-standing bank. It has always been trustworthy for me. The only downside is their fees, don't like being nickel and dimed just because I don't hold a lot of money in accounts; but then again, other banks are no better when it comes to this. Give to the rich - take from the poor. Bad practice.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have been a Citi customer for over 20 years. The only real problem I have is logging into their website most of the time. For some reason it usually takes 2 to 3 attempts. I have spoken to customer service and they can't see the problem. Just annoying at times.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have my accounts with Citibank for over 18 years and was pleased until moving out of the city years ago. It is a secure and reliable bank but lacks local branches. From an experience point of view, if you don't live in New York city you will be frustrated in trying to find one.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I like that Citibank has 24/7 customer service and has ATMs all over. The fees are pretty average. I remember comparing them with Chase and found their services similar. Santander once had a $20/month for a year incentive for new customers but I didn't switch because it's not as big of a bank. One of the last times I went to Citibank, I saw an account, possibly a CD for 2.5% interest but the minimum was $25,000, so that didn't tempt me. I heard were very helpful to a relative when he was traveling abroad and his card was stolen but I was not told the details. I just started using the app a few months ago and it's very helpful to see my transactions lined up. I was unclear if a pending debit was taken into account with my current balance. The phone system tells me that important information. I also have two custodial accounts for my kids and it would be helpful to see their names on them so I don't have to look up their account numbers.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I have been with both B of A and Chase. I am no longer with either of those financial institutions, that should make a statement in and of itself. Citi may have its own not so good points I am not aware of, but for my purposes they have served my wife and I well.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I have had a Citibank credit card for over 13 years and have never missed a payment. I lost my billfold in November and called to get a new card sent out. They told me that they were not going to issue me another card, it was being canceled. Couldn't tell me why. I called back 6 or 7 times to try and talk to someone, even a couple supervisors on why my card was not being reissued. I heard everything from there just not going to reissue it, to I cancelled the card to I made a couple minimum payments. I think they have a list in front of them that they go off of. I worked hard to build my credit up with them. 13 years, had over 4000 dollars of open credit and they cancelled me and my credit score dropped 27 points. So if you're looking at Citibank, good luck. PS, I also have a Capital One credit card that I got at the same time as Citibank. Still have a card with them!

Original review: May 7, 2021

They charged my account 3 fees for the same thing. They are refusing to refund the fees. It is completely unbelievable. I just started a savings last year and they have been taking it non-stop. I am not saving to keep the bank rich, what kind of crap is this!

Original review: May 4, 2021

Citi locked my account for fraud suspicion, which is fine. It is good they have a system in place. However, they completely lack an understanding of how their bank or international branches work. At the request of Amy and Allen in their fraud department I took a day off work, drove an hour to their closest international branch, and spent two hours on the phone with the manager of that international branch only for them to repeatedly tell Amy and Allen that her requests violated Citibank policy. Their agents are rude, their system is outdated, and they show no remorse or ability to help their customers.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I pray that my statement will help those who want to apply to this company or is already in it that I saved them from continuing. My name is Jessica. I have been with this company since 2017. Ever since the covid that I fell off they have been applying major interest to my credit card to the point it went past its limit. Way past. I work out a payment plan with them and they still put interest on it to the point where you have a hard time paying this thing off. This company does not repeat does not care about you or what you went through and still going through if you're homeless living off a paycheck to paycheck to get back on top. They will apply and keep reapplying interest to feed their greedy faces. I have never had a problem paying bills till this covid came and thank God I'm a survivor but this company is such a heartless company that they don't care about nothing. Even if my account is closed I'm going to repeat this.

Even when the account is closed they still want you at the bottom. Please don't apply to this company. If you already have this credit card please pay it off as quick as possible or just let it go in collections. Because they are still going to put interest on it. I would give them a zero Stars and I will never bank with this company again. As soon as I hear Citibank it's a turn down. And if there are those who are going through the same thing with this company as me you are not alone!

Original review: May 1, 2021

I’ve been with Citibank for over 20 years. Always kept a higher amount $ 10,000 in both savings and checking. I’m being held hostage due to a “department” being closed which means I don’t have access to my money and can not take care of the responsibilities at hand before my work travel in three days. No one can lift a fraud alert off of my account that was placed back in October of 2020 and here I am April 30, 2021 and it’s still not lifted. Help me understand? I’ve spent this whole entire week speaking with everyone but their dog went in circles with every department known to man. By time I get to the RIGHT department they're CLOSED 3 days in a row.

For the Love of sweet crackers it’s as if I’m dealing with a Third World banking system in a Third World. I was spoke with the fraud department during this whole time and went in to see the branch manager as well more than once this entire week and was directed to contact the fraud department Which I have but apparently they have different tiers. They must have. Could only explain my confusion and the aggravated problem having to fix on my own without any Solutions from All that I’ve spoken to.

Help me understand. Why can’t the actual “fraud department” that I was speaking with lift the fraud alert from my Savings account? Is there a “special Ops ” within the fraud department your customers are not aware of? Regardless of the matter no one but no one should have to go through this kind of process in order to have access to their own money in their account. I am traveling for work by beginning of the week. Can’t I do so because I’m being held hostage. Having to stay an extra day to take care of this fiasco is costing me actual money. Let’s not even think about putting my scheduled work trips so far behind.

I’ve been Either on the phone or in the bank trying to take care of this fiasco for one week and here I am today April 30, 2021 still dealing with an unacceptable banking process that Citibank placed on my account unnecessarily 6 mo ago. It’s not like I’ve been living in a cave or live on a deserted island. I do have an address and I do have a phone number. How was it that no one contacted me? I had to find out of this problem the hard way Last week. My scheduled work assignments are suffering for it today due to certain departments being closed and other department cannot have access to do anything.

It’s not costing Citibank any money. But it’s sure costing me and then some. Thank you Citibank. Glad to know where I stand and thank you for holding me hostage until you’re ready to open your department for business. I’m so glad this was not an emergency where I needed access to my money. Could you imagine?

My complaint is how did Citi bank lifted a fraud alert off of one account and not the other?? And how is it that I was not made aware of such an issue? What was the reason why you kept the fraud alert on one account and lifted it from the other? Did anyone think I might be need one day to use that account? Did anyone foresee that a problem might rise that one account was on fraud alert for six months while the other account was Free to be used? How is this kind of banking possible?? I’m pretty sure everyone was educated and trained into watching for such a problem right? And are trained and educated to reach out to the customer to make them aware of such a problem?

Due to your incompetence and holding me hostage I can not move to the right or left even if I wanted to because I have to wait three days for this One department to open. Three days of Unnecessary waiting Twiddling my thumbs. What kind of company removes from one account and not the other? Help me understand. Am I in a different county? Do I live on a deserted island Because no one contacted me. Citibank you made a simple solution and turned it into a difficult task that no one can fix but One only department. Hands down The worst banking process in any banking system I’ve seen yet. And you’re advertising 24 hour Banking seriously? You may want to reconsider changing that Citibank.

It’s business as usual and it’s the Customer that ends up paying for it. Come this week after I fix your incompetence of a banking process I will be divorcing you Citibank with JOY making sure that whoever I come across I’ to advertise of my experience in the way your processing system works And of the around the merry go round circle I had to do to fix a simple problem on my own. Consider it free advertising at no charge. It’s the least I can do.

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor