1.09/5

1345 Citibank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

Opened my account with Citi online on Feb. 21st. Put money into my account Feb. 26th... It is now Mar. 20th and they still have a block on my account. I cant pay my bills, I cant get my money... Every excuse in the book why they havent reviewed my paperwork... even talked to the supervisors. My power bill, car payments, all my money is in this account and cant use it and they dont care. Still under review. If you wanna deal with a bank that dont give a crap this is the one. Thank you.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have had nothing but good results with my Mobile Citibank App up until the last few months. I can no longer access my account from my app. I have called and spoken to one person, but he was unable to help me. I telephoned again and was able to access my account 1 time and after that have been unable to access. I have tried everything they suggested but still can’t access my account from my mobile app. This is so disappointing that I am unable to use the app. It was so convenient and easy to pay on my account. I am able to access on my desktop computer, but is inconvenient because if I’m away from home and need to check my account I can’t. I wish this could be fixed☹️

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have always keep this account in good standing and pay it off every month. I have been with them for over 10 years. I made my first late payment in 10 years and asked them to waive it. Because they didn't make enough money off me in the last year they declined... I canceled my card right away and the only amount due was the late payment fee and interest... Interest on a late payment fee... I'll never do business with them again!!! Rick

Original review: March 14, 2019

My mom died quite unexpectedly around a month ago. I proceeded to cancel her cards and services, with her death certificate and notarized trustee documents. She had several cards and accounts with CitiBank. I closed the accounts in person, and the cards by phone. For this card, I had to be transferred to a different department. It seemed to go well.

Two days later, they called her phone asking why she had missed her payment. I canceled the card yet again, having to discuss her death all over again with strangers. Ok, maybe now we're good. Two days later I noticed that her phone had numerous missed calls from random 800 numbers. All five of them are from their collections agency. Yes, now they have sent the card to collections. Mind you, mom had a perfect credit history and they acknowledge that she's never missed a payment before, and death. Yeah that makes sense. And they admit that she is only TWO WEEKS past the due date. So she misses one payment, no minimum, and this has never happened, and they send it to collections in two weeks?! How does this even make sense? Just finance it and put it on the next bill!! I couldn't even handle it.

I still then had to wait until after the weekend to then talk to the actual, real department that handles death (probate) so I can really, actually cancel the card!! But wait, there's more! You'd think this would be the end, but then I received a bill, which I then paid. AFTER the amount is paid (check cashed) I get a letter from a collections agency, which I call to investigate. Apparently this is the one they use for collecting deceased accounts from the estate. Classy, but I understand the difference. I inform them that it is already paid and that the amount was already deducted from the Trust Account. But, they inform me, they still have to send two more letters, the next one will be demanding money. Then the next will reflect my payment. Basically it's their contractual obligation or they want to charge Costco for each letter, I don't know.

So that's the story. I'm still dealing with this after a month, still seeing bills even though I've paid, still having to make sure they have registered the payment and aren't going to sick a collections agency on me. I can't believe I had to literally explain that my mom died four times and deal with two collections agencies. Why can't they just send a final bill like everyone else and give me 90 days to pay? This is standard practice. I still haven't even received the final bill for the Amazon card because they are classy. Don't ever get this card.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I made a balance transfer through Citi that went to the wrong account. The customer service reps that I contacted kept hanging up on me without warning. The ones that stayed on the line basically said there was nothing that they could do for me. The account that was credited was a completely unrelated account and the account number for that account was way off, so I doubt the mistake was made on my end. Even if it was the run around that I was getting was appalling. Eventually I had to have a Capital One representative intervene. The Citibank customer service rep actually hung up on the Capital One rep during a three way call that they initiated. The issue was resolved thanks to Capital One. No thanks to Citibank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: March 13, 2019

It has been a total nightmare dealing with this group of incompetent bankers. They have limits on transfers but they are willing to do it if you can get a banker. Well, they issued a check to themselves to transfer my money from American Express National Savings Account to Citibank Accelerated Savings Account. What a joke?

Meanwhile, needless to say the check bounced because the idiots wrote the check to a Savings account and then they wanted to know where did the check come from? Well, they wrote the check themselves and ended up questioning me about it. They put my whole account on Fraud Alert because they are incompetent. I am going to be all over Costco to get out of their credit card sponsorship with Citibank. They are the dumbest bunch in the country. I hate them. I am closing my account tomorrow.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I would NEVER do any business with CITI. Unfortunately, my government travel card is issued by them. For some reason unknown to me, my account was closed and I am ineligible to reactivate the account. So I was told to wait and call after November to fix the problem. I called today in March and was told I have to wait until June and maybe there might be a solution after being placed on hold and transferred around for an hour. Listening to a generic machine apology for an hour. Unacceptable and If I had any say our military will find another company.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Citibank is trickster when in come to charging $34 Overdraft fees and warrants class action suit. Citibank deliberately delays text alert to ensure customer have already incurred overdraft fees. Few months ago, I was advised by the customer support to subscribe to their overdraft alert service, that will send text alert as soon as my checking account is overdrawn, that will give me an opportunity to transfer funds from another linked Citibank account or external account using Zelle, and bring my account positive instantly.

But, recently I found out text alert is sent out the next day, after customer has already incurred overdraft fees. That make me question - what is the difference between text alert and insufficient funds notification, they are sent out just one hour apart from each other? Citibank deliberately delays the text alert to generate overdraft income for themselves. There is no way Citibank cannot make the text alert real time which will help customer prevent $34 overdraft fees per transaction. This is unreasonable and warrants class action suit against Citibank.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I haven't had my Citi Rewards+ Card for that long yet, but so far the experience is atrocious. I got my sign up bonus and wanted to redeem them, so the first time I tried, the website didn't work. It something something along the line of "system temporarily unavailable," so I innocently assumed that they were just doing some routine maintenance.

Come weeks later, I tried to redeem my points again, and guess what happens? The system is still not working. I called customer service, and the Indian representative kept pushing me to use a different website, all of which I've already done! His tone suggested that I was an idiot and didn't know how to use a computer. Then, he finally pushed me to technical support, and all he did was reset my login, which did absolutely nothing. Finally, I was moved over to a guy who could "redeem" my points over the line. I, again, had to tell them everything wrong, and he said, "Well, you can't do that right now." The last representative offered me an additional 2,900 Thank You points. So, in the end, the issue was unresolved.

Original review: March 9, 2019

0 Star - They suspended my linked external account and don't provide an option to lift the suspension by myself. I called 4 times over a week and the issue is still not solved. I wasted 3 hours waiting on the phone and talking to different customer services. Each of them asked me the same questions and I am sick of explaining to them again and again. On the 4th time I called, I asked the customer service to look up my case. She said that I just called today and it will take 2 business days to process. Wrong! I reported the issue 5 business days already. It should done by now. If you guys can't fix the issue, then give me an option to do it by myself.

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg