3.20/5
Based on 1,219 ratings submitted in the last year

1394 Citibank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 28, 2019

I selected Citibank for my mortgage as I have a long standing relationship, several open accounts and the Services and Customer Service was always outstanding. The Mortgage Loan Officer was outstanding and very helpful from the beginning of the process even while I was looking for the right home. She was very patient and responded quickly to my question whether by phone or text and explained the different options so that I could make the right decision. Though I was disappointed in the timeframe between the documentation submissions, pre-approval and final approval which was very lengthy. Applying for a mortgage during the major holidays season further delayed the approval. They also do not provide home renovation loans which would have been useful as I now have to find another way to get this done. Overall I was satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I am a Citibank card holder and my credit card information was stolen. I discovered fraudulent expenditures on my credit card statement, which led me to investigate with the help of Citibank. It's been a stressful and unnerving experience, but the support I received from Citibank was prompt, efficient and professional. Thank you, A grateful customer!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

The process was slow when I refinanced with Citibank, and sometimes I felt as though had I not called from time to time, they never would have picked up my file, but they were very nice each time I spoke to someone there, and ultimately, we did get it completed satisfactorily. Now they have sent my loan to another company for servicing and I am having problems there with getting my payments properly posted.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Have a mortgage with Citibank. Have had the loan for 20 years - it is an interest only loan. Citibank is very efficient and very easy to deal with. I like this type of loan cause I can do whatever I want to do on the spur of the moment - but dangerous if you can't pay the bill.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I have been make a payment net banking SBI to Citibank credit card, but it has not received on 23 May 2018. SBI has declared that we have make a payment on 24 May 2018, 1 month passes away the amount of RS 6472/- not received to Citibank, this is one type of fraud. Both are not accepting about payment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: May 17, 2019

2019: Needed major car repairs February. I informed Citibank I would not be able to make payment April of $28.00. I explained I would be able to make a $50.00 payment come March 3rd. I was told by "customer care" rep "Not a problem, I see you have been a long time customer and have always made your payments. Call us back March 3rd and we'll wave the late fee." March 3rd I called and Citibank indeed waived the late fee however, are now requiring a percentage of the entire balance which is $75.00 minimum payment. The late fee is not removed from the payment, but the balance. Not helpful.

Despite continually paying a monthly payment well over the normal minimum due ($28.00) since March 3rd, Citibank is racking up late fees, dinging my credit with "late fees" reports and steadily increasing the minimum amount due each month. It is now up to $163.00. The only options offered to me the paying customer is as follows:

1 - Pay 97.00 for three months (to be "caught up").
2 - Pay 117.00 for 6 months (to be "caught up"). Mind you this would pay off the 95% of the entire balance I owe of $750.00.
3 - Have interest rate and minimum monthly payment lowered IF I close the account (which would put a horrible ding on my credit score).

4 - Pay the $163.00 (to be caught up").

I offered to pay $50.00 for the next three months - denied. "Nancy" told me to ask my medical insurance to cover my medications in order to pay Citibank - disgusting! This is PREDATORY LENDING. Citibank is making it impossible to get "caught up". Everything they offer involves making the bank more money due to a single payment missed of $28.00. EXCESSIVE. Credit Users BE WARNED!

Original review: May 16, 2019

NON EXISTENT CUSTOMER SERVICE & FINANCIAL ELDER ABUSE: For the past several months I have been trying to work with many of Citi's employees but it's a dead end. I have filed a complaint in early April and still awaiting a response a month later. All telephone experience on a daily basis has been frustrating, torture and I call it "financial elder abuse". My questions relate to their request letter which is totally unclear with language that an average person with a college degree could not understand. To date my questions SEEKING clarification have remained unanswered.

Finally yesterday I spoke with "Amy" who was the first person who seems to know what she is doing who informed me that Citi apparently needed to have me "spell" my first name even though it is on my statements for years and on a copy of a trust document (which I submitted and I understand that they were not entitled to) signed and notarized. Also now I am told that they need to have the name and address of the attorney who prepared my trust. My response to this question is: "What if the attorney is deceased now or if I prepared my own trust"? Every day at least an hour or more of my time is spent on the telephone to associates who do not appear to know what they are doing.

I have already requested another institution to have these funds transferred but now I find out that the account is BLOCKED. I am trying to find answers and thereafter file a letter with their Board and any regulatory authority to address this problem. As I mentioned to several Citi employees what if I needed access to this IRA account so that I could pay my mortgage or buy medicine? This harassment is no way to treat customers and I am concerned about older customers who do not have the ability or the experience to question these strange policies which appear to be nothing more than a means to obtain information for marketing purposes.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Most useless customer service, keeps you waiting for a long time and when finally you talk to someone they don't know the answers to questions. Tried to place a complaint after that and was told I'd have to mail a letter. Will not bank with them again.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I opened a Prioirty checking and savings account with the prescribed $50,500.00 and was told in the fine print that the money must sit for a certain amount of time and then after another long wait I would get my $600. It was also mentioned I needed to fill out a tax form. I let the money sit the prescribed about of time (5 months verified by Citi. I sent in a tax form they did not receive so sent in another one they said they did receive and which was in order last month.

This month, after I have received less than $5 in interest for my $50,500 deposit since December 12,2018 -- I am told things are not in order -- but they won't say why. In addition, if I want to use the money while waiting for this to presumably get sorted out I will pay a $35 per month fee if I draw down the account. I feel cheated and dirty and swindled.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I was two days late on my bill, and instead of charging interest for the two days, they charge interest for the month of “grace period” they give as well as the two days. I contacted customer support about it, and they said they couldn’t do anything due anything about it because that was their policy. I am upset they charge interest for their “grace period!” It really isn’t a grace period if they charge interest for the time instead of just the two days I was late. The manager originally said the interest was a daily interest, not a monthly interest, and then when I brought up the fact they were charging me for a month of interest when I was two days late he changed it and said it was a monthly interest. Surprise surprise, they lie to their customers and charge them interest for times they give as a “grace period.” I am done! I will go back to using Discover who doesn’t lie to me!

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg