Citibank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was a Citibank card member for over 22 years. I for the first time ever was considered late for a payment to Citibank. I called customer service to explain I had sent out payments to other institutions on the same day and my payments made it to them on time. I explained that the post office here is sometime not the most reliable. They would not give me the right time of day. I was transferred to another agent and the same answer. You would think for being a loyal customer for all those years, it would carry some weight. So I decided to apply for another credit card and was accepted without reservation. So do yourself a favor, don't bother with Citibank, they are heartless.

I had a dispute with Priceline regarding a refusal to honor their price guarantee. Citibank required me to send a letter rather than taking a verbal report. Then they said they never received the letter. Finally after a month, despite solid evidence that the merchant was wrong, they ruled in their favor. Citibank does not support its customers. I will never use a Citibank card again -- Chase Visa, American Express, and Master Card are all better choices.

I requested a balance transfer request 03/13/2017, First Error - "my requested was to transfer fund to my checking account but they made it a check payment",

Second Error - "Cancelling my Balance transfer request without my permission and breaching the contract and Identify ". This identity theft by CITIBANK. Requesting you to please looking into this matter as I did not get any help from the Customer service agents or supervisor Jeff. Call dates 1st call to request balance transfer was 03/12/2017 time 2.41. Call lasted 7 minutes 1 sec. 2nd call to to inquire if fund were transferred to my checking account was on 03/15/2017 (3 minutes 57 sec). 3rd call 03/16/2017 again asking for an update, I was told I was a check payment and I will get it next thursday 23rd march 2017.

4th call 03/17/2017 got an email of Notice of stopped payment to find out what's going on but very bad response from a manager Jeff and rather solving issue he is give Bonus points on my other CITIbank card, he does not have proper explanation and asking me to re-apply as this cancel now. (Spoke to Supervisor Jeff at 2.32 pm 03/17/2017). EXTREMELY UNHAPPY. Will surely avoid using your cards in FUTURE, I will do business with your competitor.

I will be paying off and canceling this account! Horrible service. Customer agents that you cannot understand, that are not from this country. The call centers are located overseas. I called because I received a late fee when in actuality I made my payment early. I guess I made it too early to stay current. I often make 2 or 3 monthly payments. But they would not reverse this fee of $35.00!!! Even though that month I had made 2 payments. It doesn't make any sense. Im done with them. Horrible customer service. Their "highest" manager said that they are "CRACKING DOWN" on late fees and wouldn't even consider reversing mine even though I make multiple monthly payments almost every month! Shame on Citi!

This place doesn't respect its employees and it doesn't look out for its customers best interest. It charges ridiculous fees and does not respond to investigations in a timely manner. The employees are outsourced, work from home, are underpaid and abused verbally by both customers and management. Unless the clients accounts are Citigold Citi doesn't care for them. The company owes me money and for over a month they have given me nothing but excuses, like "the employee that was supposed to take care of it has been out sick." "Sorry he didn't call you back in a week to give you the status." The company denies employees their vacations and at times even their well deserved raise due to low funds they say. I could go on all day but if you work or bank with them you will be nothing but sorry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Citibank did not contact me by email or telephone about making my money inactive. Just by chance I have call from a salesperson of bank who try to sell me a loan. She casually told me that if I know that my 50K will go in a few weeks to government if I will not make my accounts active. I never knew about such a law that I have to do transaction to my saving or interest accounts each 2 years. Otherwise money from accounts go to government. It made me feel very terrified that bank did not even bother to notify me. Please be careful with this bank.

Got a pre-approval for a diamond preferred credit card sent to me. My credit score is pretty good at 765 and have never been late on a payment, this is not my only card. I have several other cards for several years, and got denied from this bank. Reasoning of the bank says I got denied for not having an invitation... Which Citibank had sent to me, I had the account invitation number and everything. Will never have business with this bank and would never recommend them to anyone. I'd give them no stars if it would let me.

I called Citibank to get my final payoff balance amount. I paid the balance, in full, based on what the customer service rep told me my TOTAL balance was. She took my payment, then I CLOSED THE ACCOUNT. She confirmed that my account was closed. Today, Sunday morning, I received a call that I owe $95, that is in collection, for a $16 interest fee they charged me after the account was closed. The reason for the interest was because I paid my account in the BEGINNING of the month, and they charge interest for that month, at the END of the month. They charged me the $16 in interest and emailed me a bill. I never saw the email because that email account is closed.

Now, three months later they want three months of late fees plus interest on the late fees that they charged me on an interest feel for a closed account. I am furious. Can they do this? I told the lady on the phone I would pay the interest fee from back in November but would absolutely not pay any late fees whatsoever. Why should I pay late fees on fees charged to a closed account? I took out a consolidation loan and paid off this credit card. I have no credit cards now and will never use credit again.

Citibank is a SCAM. THEY ARE HOUNDING ME ON THE PHONE NOW. I was forced to agree to let them continue hounding me on the phone (she read me a disclosure and I regret that I agreed to it) and I had to give them a new email address and agree to them hounding me via email too. This multi billion dollar corporation makes their money by hounding hard working people for $16 and then charging late fees. It's outrageous. I have a credit rating in the high 700's, but so what?? They want their money and they will destroy your credit if you don't agree to being robbed.

This is going to take some time to read. I will try to sum it up. Approx on May 2016 (don't remember exactly, but around it) I was being informed by the Citi alert about a suspicious transaction on my debit card on internet for a website (AliExpress), asking me to get in touch immediately. Well, I did it via phone, confirmed with a kind attendant and ordered a new card to be sent over to me, and blocked my card. It should be perfect, but since then, my life became a hell. Amid all the attempts to get the new card, I spoke to several attendants and the so-called SUPERVISORS WHO WOULD TAKE CARE OF IT FOR ME (as they say), but I have not receive the card yet.

Believe it or not, we are on March 2017, and my card hasn't arrived yet. No matter how many times I have confirmed the address, no matter how many times I have confirmed if Citibank is able to send it overseas (I am in Brazil)... it just do not happen! Supervisors who, by the way, called me from their personal phone numbers (I believe), trying to convince me that it was going to be solved at that time! And guess what??? NOTHING!!! Every time I call back Citibank's phone, I have to explain to an attendant, who forwards me to the supervisor, which in turn says to me that a mistyping have occurred but WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN. But look: I am listening this same old story. Time after time I have to call and say the same address. Do you believe it is still mistyping in all of these attempts?? Come on!

I am sick of it. This is going to take a full year soon and I am still fighting it. All I am needing is to receive my debit card, and do you know why??? I was a GOLD CLIENT. And, according to the bank rules, a GoldClient not transacting the account will be discounted every month a certain amount of dollars (simply because it is not transacted or a new deposit does not occur), but HOW COULD I TAKE MY MONEY OFF if the bank does not send me the card AND, I think this is most important now, THEY BLOCK MY INTERNET BANKING ACCESS UNTIL I GET A NEW CARD! WTF! If via phone, the attendants informed that it is not possible to transfer the dollars from Citibank to my Brazilian bank account, and without the card, there was NOTHING I COULD DO to take my money off! I should wait for the card to arrive as a unique solution.

And here comes another reason why I am so mad: Along this period of time, I was watching the meltdown of dollar against the Brazilian Real. I was trying to take the money out the bank and convert it to Real all in once, but could not do nothing. If the bank were able to accomplish its deadlines when sending a card to a client, you would not being reading this on March 2017!! But they cannot even get the tracking number for the package via FedEx. I cannot stand anymore!

By the time the problem occurred, I had a certain amount of dollars on my account. Recently I found out during a phone call that my savings were about half that amount?!! How, could that be possible, IF I AM NOT MAKING ANY TRANSACTION SINCE +- May 2016???

So, I am saying that I have been hurted, my savings have been hurted with the devaluation of dollar (because I could not withdraw the money at the time the problem started) and I will find out something to do to get losses back before my attorney on court. I cannot know exactly when it started precisely, but we will find it out. This must finish NOW!

Applied online, opened account, received debit card account number and PIN for ATM. Deposited check at ATM machine. Check cleared. When I went to get some cash the card was blocked. I tried to get gas. My card was blocked. No access to my own money. I called and the customer service agent told me I would have to wait 2 days as it was a weekend and that department isn't open til Monday at 8am. That she would not help me. I waited til such time and then was told I have to fax or mail proof of address. Okay so I have no problem doing so. I understand these organizations need to protect against fraud etc... However what I do have a problem with is Citibank taking my paycheck and then illegally blocking me from accessing it. Needless to say I will be closing this account as soon as I can get all my money out.

I deposited money in my Citibank savings account the first week of January 2017. In mid January I attempted to withdraw the money and close the account. I was told the action was complete and the check would be mailed. When I did not receive the check I call Citibank again. Citibank stated the account was inactive. Citi stated that they could not close an inactive account.

Citi stated I would have to reactivate the account by going to a Citibank branch. The nearest branch is over 500 miles away. I was told to send a notarized letter identifying myself and asking for the account to be reactivated. I sent the letter. Called Citibank, they stated they never received letter sent USPS priority mail. It is now March 01, 2017. I still have not heard for Citibank and do not have my money. Citibank simply does not employ people who (1) understand their job, (2) care about the customers and (3) the bank does not empower their employees to do their job. If you rely upon this bank, good luck.

Misleading advertising. Citibank had a poster for a $400 bonus with stipulations.

1. Must not have opened an account within last 60 days.
2. Open a new checking account with New funds $15,000.00.
3. New funds min balance of $15,000.00, Must remain in new checking account for 90 consecutive days.

4. Bonus will be added to account after 90 days.

Citibank representative confirmed I was eligible for the $400 bonus and opened account with me understanding I was qualified for the promotional bonus. However at the end of 90 days I was told that I am not eligible because I was an existing customer. The offer did not mention that I had to be a customer without an existing checking account, only that I was not to have opened an account in the past 60 days.

On December 25 I made a payment to my credit card for $9,200 at an atm machine in Coral Gables, FL. The machine reported an error and credited me for $12,000! Then two weeks later it reversed $5,700 of that so I am now short $2,500. I called the number on the back of my card 11 times for lengthy calls, mostly to India, spoke to a manager at the branch who said they are not responsible because it is a drive-through not a branch atm, but nobody will investigate or fix the problem! At one point I was "refunded" $2,800 but then this was taken out of my card! All someone has to do is check the atm and see that it has $2,500 extra cash but the call center managers they can't check an atm and the branch says it isn't their atm!!! I have been a client for 27 years and am being robbed $2,500 by Citibank!

I am a customer with Citibank NA in Aventura Fl. My checking account was hacked and my balance is in the negative. They are telling me a check bounced when in fact I have proof it did not. I want a respond. Banks are very dishonest here in Florida. Going online does not help at all. To consumers affairs.

I was double charged from the hospital 11/21/2016. I had called the 1800 number to have it checked out. I went to the doctor on Dec 2nd. I was very very sick. I used my debit card and was told I would not work. I went directly to my Citibank on 17th St in Costa Mesa. I talked with the clerk and told I will probably need to talk with the manager. He came to us. He looked at my account and said that it was frozen because of fraud. He said yes and nothing he could do. I said “How am I suppose to pay my bills?” He said I can take out any amount of money I wanted to. I said “What about my online bills?” He said "I am sorry." nothing he could do! I left again and went to my car and turned it on and then off.

I went back into the bank. This time he came straight to me. I said to him "there is nothing you can do" and he said no and I said I want all my money out of this bank. He said nothing and nodded his head to the teller. She asked me how did I want it. I said all hundreds. I went down the street and opened a new account with another bank. The hospital keeps on putting in the $187 and some cents. They keep telling me I have to talk with my bank institution. When I call they say there is nothing they can do that the account is closed. I understand that the hospital took out the money twice, but the bank did not do their job either! I am the one that is hurting. The little guy which I feel that is just wrong!!! That manager was horrible and that is being very very very kind!

I filed a dispute in Dec. of 2016 for a charge online at HSN which was canceled. The dispute was processed and I received a temp credit. 2 months later, I received notice from Citi that they reversed credit because HSN responded by stating I placed the order. NO KIDDING, in order to cancel, I had to have first placed the order. Citi then asked me for a cancellation notice or credit "slip" from HSN. I sent them an email from HSN saying they were refunding amount in full. Citi said, "NOPE not good enough," I needed a store credit slip. HUH, HSN does not have a store. They are an online vendor.

Called their Executive Office and spoke to an incredibly rude woman who was of no help and basically told me they only offer MINIMAL dispute process because MC/VISA MAKES them. Worst credit card company around!!! After spending over 4 HOURS on phone with Citi and getting no help I resolved issue myself by cutting up their card.

A new debit card was issued and sent to my old address as on their register. Not responding to Citi, I was blocked from my accounts online. This I don't blame them. But, as directed by several Citi representatives I sent a registered, notarized letter requesting a change of address so that a new debit card could be sent to the present address, which also happens to be the address where I receive Citi credit cards and mail. Now this was early October and I still haven't received my debit card. I called Citi (San Antonio, TX) at least 10 times since then: First time they said they never received my notarized letter, I provided them with UPS documental proof of delivery, including the name of the one who signed for the letter. I sent a second notarized letter then started a series of Citibank claims that they sent the card but it keeps being sent back as undeliverable.

I asked for proof which would be no more, no less than a tracking number. Citibank never gave a tracking number, claiming they can't find it, it's been erased and other nonsense. (Funny I am able to provide tracking and proof of my mail, and yet a big company like Citi that manages the life savings of its customers is unable to find a tracking number for 8-9 mails sent out, and a company that can't find a notarized letter I sent out in October). The last time my debit card was processed after I spent a 40 minute long distance call at my expense was February 2, they promised I would get by Feb. 7 -- nothing arrived. I called Citi again and again they don't have a tracking number which -- it didn't make sense to me -- would be available when the letter was delivered and claimed that I was not on their 'list' which means no card was mailed out to me.

So what is going on Citibank? I have no access to my money which, along with that of other customers, goes to pay your salaries and finances the luxury lifestyle of your bigwigs!!! I will cut off business ASAP and will consider suing for inconvenience, financial harassment, mental harassment engendered because some company is unable to send a simple letter with a card to an address provided in writing and over the phone about 10 times! I just wish that I could provide transcripts of my phone conversations with them and you wouldn't believe the contradictions, the stupidity on their part.

Our non-profit organization received a letter that threatened to close our account at Citibank. This account was crucial for our international organization to move funds to our various programs throughout the world. I immediately called our "relationship manager" who was on leave. Her voicemail referred me to her back-up, who assured me that he would resolve the issue upon her return. Unfortunately he did nothing and the account was closed. I then visited the local branch to determine the issue and reset the account. The branch staff were finally successful in getting our "relationship manager" to call us back. We had called her numerous times with no response.

Our relationship manager was unable to tell us why the account was closed and finally confirmed the account would be re-opened the next day. She explained that she had left messages for us and we did not respond. Unfortunately we had no messages, emails or voicemails from her. She then stated that we did not return an information request to Citibank. So I requested whatever forms that needed to be completed. She sent us a form that we had already completed. There was no other information needed. We are now two weeks into the process and incoming money transfers were being rejected. On the final call we escalated to management, but once again they referred to our relationship manager.

Never during the 25-30 calls we had with Citibank was there ever an expression of regret for the problem they created, never an answer on why the account was closed and worst of all, no employee of Citibank would commit to solving the problem and carry through on their promise. We have given up and shifted our accounts to Bank of Marin, a bank who carries through in their promises. Citibank simply does not employ people who (1) understand their job, (2) care about the customers and (3) the bank does not empower their employees to do their job. If you rely upon this bank, good luck. At a minimum you should establish your backup bank now.

After the hassle to open a personal saving account, only then I knew that Citibank has no debit card service for online shopping, how disappointed!!! Luckily the information came by just before I filled up the form to open the account. Why that you offer credit shopping facility but not debit banking facility? Not profitable much?

I needed to have Citi contact my mother since my cell phone was under her name for our family plan. They could not directly verify my phone by sending me a text/calling. This is the standard practice for Discover, AMEX, and Chase. I don't understand why I needed to spend 30 min on the phone with 2 different representatives to do this. Neither my Google phone number, work cell phone, or my fiance's cell phone numbers were acceptable.

I don't normally leave reviews, but my experience with Citibank warrants a word or two. In less than a year, my identity has been stolen two times. Each time, my American Express card was compromised. The first time, last summer, the thieves charged close to $2,000. The second time, just a few days ago, $6,000 was stolen. There is something very wrong here. These thefts have cost hours and hours of my time in replacing cards, working with the Fraud Department, closing and reopening multiple accounts that were linked to the cards, and extensive time spent on the phone going through the automated calling system, getting transferred from one operator to another, and trying to decipher very thick accents.

If this wasn't enough, I've spent hours trying to work my way through their maze of security questions (every time I try to log in). For months, they were asking me questions I didn't even know the answer to; so, I had to call... and here I went again with the automated system, the operators who didn't know what to do and kept asking me more stupid questions... terrible. And finally, there has been an ongoing issue of not being able to access the online account due to pages refusing to open (despite using two different browsers, updating all of my settings, etc., more lost hours). I can't take this anymore. Who has this kind of time to waste and who is comfortable with repeated identity theft? What a shame. American Express was good to me for over fifteen years, until Citibank took over. I'm done. Please be cautious with this group. There is no excuse for their ineptitude and failure to protect their customers.

I opened a Best Buy credit card about almost two years ago. At this time now I have made some purchases like a TV, gaming system, etc.. I got a letter the other day saying they decided to close my account! When I called the guy on the phone was very rude and said they can close whenever they want to because they are the bank. Why did they decide to wait until I made these purchases to close my account. My credit score hasn't changed that much. So Citibank is the worst bank I've ever had to work with, for that reason I will not be dealing with Best Buy either until they decide to go with a different bank!!! DONT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH CITIBANK.

I opened up an account with Citibank two weeks ago online. Sent my information to them and transfer money into the account. I went to get money out of my account and was told my account was blocked because I needed to provide them with my ID. I asked if I could go to the branch to give them my ID I was told no. I must mail or fax my ID to them. So I faxed it twice and they called me telling me that they are unable to read the ID.

OK now I'm still unable to access my money or pay bills. So I made copies of my IDs and went to the post office and paid for it to get there in two days. So here we are almost 3 weeks later I get a call saying that I need to get a state ID because my driver's license has my maiden name and I send them a state resident's card with my married name (which I asked if that was OK because I just moved to NY and was in the process of changing my information) they will not let me access my funds. They won't help me at all. They basically block my account. I am so upset. Once I get my funds out I will never bank with them again. I don't recommend this bank they will block your funds without informing you.

I have had several Citibank accounts for nearly 30 years and have been using their online services for around 10 years. When I recently attempted to add a recurring payment for health insurance I repeatedly received a message saying there was a "Temporary Delay" implying the site had difficulties. After retrying numerous times over 4 days, I contacted their support and was told there were no problems with their website. They stated the problem was either that I didn't clear my cache or was using an unsupported browser.

Having followed their directions I again attempted to add the payee and received the same "Temporary Delay" notification. My experiences exposes what I see as major shortcomings in Citibank's online service: Failure to support payments to a popular vendor (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois). Misleading online error message indicating there is a system problem when apparently the system is functioning. Customer support that misdirects the consumer and provides no resolution to the issue. Bottom line is that Citibank is forcing me back to paper checks for this vendor.

$25 late fee and $2.15 interest charge -- Evidently my payment in full of $169 was two days late because of the weekend. They refused to reimburse the fee and gouged me interest at 16.49%. How can they do that when they borrow money from the Feds at near zero and we bailed the banks out not long ago? I almost always pay in full, have a very high credit score, and they say there is nothing they can do because my bank screwed up and it's not their fault. I like Capital One, etc. much more so will stop using my Citi card.

I received an email from Citibank to say I had a check refused due to lack of funds. I live in England and opened an account with them in September 2015 while in Los Angeles due to my mother's death. I used the account once to wire some funds to my UK bank, so I was very concerned that a check was written against my account. Upon ringing Citi bank I explained I didn't have any bank checks. I have spoken to 3 to 4 service advisors and 3 managers to resolve my issue. I found out someone wrote a check and got cash from my account. Having been successful they wrote another for the same amount. That's when it bounced. I viewed the checks online on account details. They were company checks without my name on them. Plus where shows pay to the order of, it was blank!

Every time I rang Citibank I would have to start all over again on I was calling after asking each advisor if they did not have details of my complaint already in a note pad. I asked the last advisor for the name and number for governing body which regulates Citi bank to complain. I was told they didn't have it. Spoke to a manager to request it and told she didn't have it but would look it up and contact me. No one at Citi bank has a clue how to give good customer service. I have been in customer service related work most I my life and never dealt with an American company with such a lack of what customer service is suppose to be.

CitiBank took over American Express's credit card in July 2016. CitiBank can keep calling 3 or 4 times a day but when you call back the number, you can't speak to anyone but an automated person. This goes on for months and when you can finally shut off your home phone because of the annoying calls. Then you get from calls from the company (Alltran a collection company that Citi Bank hires) on your cell phone. The person on the phone calls and asked the person they're looking for and you respond to them and say "have you sent a letter to that person in the mail". The collection company person said "OK" and hung up. A letter came in the mail finally.

I also started to get emails from Citibank and I would try to respond to them by calling them. The person I spoke with from number they told me to call, She couldn't help me and couldn't transfer me because she didn't know how or she said the system was down. Didn't make sense. They gave me the wrong number in the email. I also have been locked out of my account online. I have tried to retrieve it. I have also had gone to Costco to try to solve the issue and I couldn't get anywhere with that because they tried calling the number they had. I spoke with someone but I needed my credit card number with me. They just couldn't look me up. This is the issue has been going on since they took over. I even had charges on there that I needed to dispute but I couldn't because I was in the hospital. I was very ill for 2 months.

CitiBank doesn't care about anyone. The late fees and interest keep going up and I can't stop any of this. I probably won't even get my rewards that I had earned from American Express because Citibank won't mail them. They are not even in the statement. I feel that CitiBank doesn't care about anyone and someone needs to stop CitiBank from being dishonest to their customers. The government needs to stop CitiBank from hurting customers and having good customer service. They don't have good customer service at all. They need better was to be able to contact them. I hope someone reads this and helps with this issue! American Express wouldn't have never done this to their customers. They had a good customer service.

I have the American Airlines MasterCard with a $450 annual fee. The AA lounges have turned to be lame in maintenance and quality of service provided. None of my complaints was ever resolved. I recently started a dispute with a merchant in Argentina. Only one week after that Citibank credits my account the full amount was charged again with no previous explanation or notification. At the same time that I start to deal with the dispute department from Citibank, my card is blocked for use overseas. Citibank failed to assist me with this problem and I'm still unable to use my card.

Amy from the executive office called me several times making me spend money in long distance phone calls. This person has no idea about disputes and kept asking me for more information even when plenty of documents as invoice, mails to the merchant, summons to court, bill for a replacement item, detail of missing merchandise and/defective service, dates of contacts, details of missing products, etc, etc was sent.

Over two months later Citibank does not resolve the dispute neither proceeds to refund me the amount requested for items never received. Ms. Desoer, the CEO at Citibank was notified via email and she has clearly ignored each one of my emails Not to say the lack of professional courtesy considering that she was informed about the fact the I'm the CEO of an American company. I do plan to cancel my credit card upon returning to USA and file a complaint about this false advertisement. Citibank promotes consumer protection and completely fails to honor this advertisement. I will check each one of my credit cards and proceed to cancel all the ones related with the Citibank. I will also urge my staff to avoid the Citibank at any expense.

My husband and I were U.S. Airlines mastercard holders for at least 5 years. When American Airlines merged with U.S. Air our credit cards were changed. We received new cards from Citibank. Apparently, my husband owed $23.00 on his old card. Never knew about it. Never received an email or a letter until Citibank sent him to a credit agency. His credit rating is 830. We spend an average amount of $5,000 per month and paid the card in full each month. Citibank would not waive the $23.00 fee which we were unaware of. We have cancelled all of our cards with Citibank and will never do business with them again. I am happy we found this out now.

I do not have a problem paying my bills, yet somehow Citibank comes up with ways to miraculously lose my payments! (And of course they never tell me about it until after the late charge is already in place.) I have banked with them for years and it wasn't until they took over my Best Buy card (previously managed by Chase Bank with no issues by the way) that I started experiencing problems. First problem: They refuse to combine my personal account with my Best Buy Card. Every other bank seems to have the ability to manage the store cards and personal cards from the same account, but not this one. Second problem: I set up auto-pay and they wait until 33 days later to send me any sort of notification that the payment didn't go through.

Third problem: They don't send bills, or they send them to the wrong place after multiple corrections. Fourth problem: I tried making an account online time and again, and they make it so ridiculously difficult to do so that it literally took 2 months to complete. (They said I had to have my Best Buy card, even though I can use my account to pay for stuff at the store with just my social). Fifth problem: They shut down all three of their banks in my area just a year or two ago so now the closest installation of their faulty service is multiple hours away. They are not interested in their clients' well-being, just trying to take advantage of their situation as a lender in as shady a way as possible. Good riddance Citibank, you deserve to fail.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.
  • Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.
  • Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.
  • Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.
  • Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.
  • Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.
  • Best for U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions