3.5/5 (1179 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Citibank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

As a new customer of Citibank, I do not feel welcomed when applying for a credit card through the website itself. When compared to DBS, their website is as more welcoming and engaging with visual effects and with transitions when my cursor hover above the buttons. It felt like I was dealing with an unprofessional bank compared to DBS where I felt like I am dealing with a high class professional bank in Singapore. As customers the first place we will step in is the website to learn more about your company, your services, and even applying for a credit card. I feel that amendments should be made to create a better first impression to make us feel safe that we are liaising with a professional bank.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

Less than a year ago my account was hacked and someone stole over $2,000 out of my checking account. After spending over 10 hours (during multiple days) on the phone with supervisors, and the fraud department all I ever got was “We can't take any responsibility for your loss”. Citibank will not protect your money, or personal information. Do not trust this bank! I do not like talking bad about anyone, I just want to share my experience so others don't go through the stress and terrible experience I went through.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I was recently charged by a merchant for an order that I did not in fact receive. On two occasions I supplied Citibank with a detailed account of my experience (6 pages), account records, screen shots, phone records etc., including a reference to similar complaints made by other customers of this merchant. On both occasions, I received a form letter from Citibank asking for additional information. The case was clearly handled by someone following a script, and although it should have been escalated to a manager, my case was not resolved, and Citibank allowed me to be fraudulently charged by the merchant.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

This bank is one of the most horrible bank I dealt with when it comes to business. I opened an account and the online website is not allowing me do my business. For ex, I was not able to make a payment easily. It took me a while to find out. Also the checks I issued took a while to get to the receiver. A few got lost. There is no customer service that is easy to approach. When I call I talk to someone in Asia who can't help then I have to be asked to speak with the "banker".

DO NOT OPEN YOUR BUSINESS OR PERSONAL account here. You will waste your time. They are giving a "bonus" so they can entice people to bring their money but then problems starts. That's the reason they have to offer a bonus because there are way better bank out there. Also they offer a "credit card". If you had experience with having your credit "shut down" while you are shopping for your business, your business will be 'stranded!. It is not worth your time wasted to this totally useless bank. And if you complain? No one listens. Try going to customer service? You will find you are not listened to, and CITI makes their own rules, and you just have to comply. Here is current alert for CITIBANK by BBB: **.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I had a student checking and it was zero fees. Accepted the invite for a priority account due to the "ease" of transferring higher amounts of money 500+. Anyhow the fee to have the checking is crazy not to mention the 68 overdraft fee. What a trip. As if the bank is living paycheck to paycheck. Time to be Robinhood. No wonder everyone uses Coinbase and crypto money transactions are light speed and no one can bombard you without outlandish fees in fine print with a liability disclaimer.. Ahhh Citibank you used to be a better bank when you were smaller and gave darn about service. Now I have 3 more other checking accounts to test who outperforms the other, Citi sure is coming in last....Traditional banks are very slow operating on SWIFT time for change for the people.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I have been with Citi for 23+ years. Nowadays service is degrading. When you call them they give you run around as they have too many phone numbers handling various services. They removed "Contact Customer Service" secure message option from their online/web page which allowed customers to submit their complaints/questions and let appropriate team pick-up the issues in 1st attempts instead of asking customers to call various numbers 800/877/888 etc.... Recently I was opted-in for paper statements of my bank accounts without my permission and that issue is not getting resolved since Jun-2020. I have called 5-6 times and no luck as call goes to off-shore where they ask me level 1 steps again and again with no success. I will be soon taking my business to some other bank which has branches in NJ and can help fairly quickly.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

The Home Depot credit card backed by Citibank will not let you pay the bill in the month before. My due date is the 4th, so I was paying 8X the minimum in the month before, and they assessed me a late fee. This must have changed for 2022, because I have paid the month before EVERY month for years without any issue. When I argued this, the woman on the phone just kept repeating "you can't do that." If I have to pay each month's payment during that month and before the due date, that means I have a 4 day window to pay my bill every month. I told her this was a ridiculous policy. I insisted she remove the late fee (BECAUSE I WASN'T LATE), and I paid the balance in full. I told her I would NEVER use Citibank again, and I would be making this experience public knowledge. She didn't care. So, beware what bank backs your store cards. The no-interest promotional periods are lovely, but not worth this kind of ridiculousness.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I thought coming into Citi Bank it was too good to be true. They seemed perfect online and in person I really thought they were going to help me. But they never followed through when I noticed some fraudulent charges. Instead they just blocked my account and said they would mail me whatever they owed me. Clearly they are so disorganized they did not even have the right address. I tried to speak to a lady, so we could resolve the issue together. Instead she just yelled at me, was extremely rude, and just hung up on me when I was trying to understand what happened. This is by far the worst bank I have ever banked with. Based on previous reviews I have noticed they do not value their customers. Hopefully they can change and own up to their mistakes. My old bank was way better than this bank will ever be and I will be returning to them even if I do have to pay a fee.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I was called by the CITIFRAUD dept about two fraudulent transactions which I oppose to and while in conversation they saw a Zelle transaction took place which we both Agreed that was an unjust transaction. So, the representative place my account on high priority for 30 days (blocked). And advise me to open a new account as a new relation client. I was adamant to open a new one knowing that I've bank with them over 24 yrs in good standing.

The bank will not take my time with them into consideration with this new relation account, but I had no more option if I was to get back credit from what was debit from the account. Fast forward 33 days I've made daily attempts to get my block lifted so I can transfer my funds to the new account only to get a response that my account is still under review.

Today was last day I spent 4hour 38minutes being transferred from over 13 representatives 3 from customer associates and 10 CITIFRUAD associates. I've gone past the angry phase to simply being tired and stressed out wondering how I'm going to satisfy my necessary expenses. I really don't not have the means to pursue this legally. I did not want to give the bank one star for my obvious lengthy amount of time with this institution in the past, but like the majority of the commenters on their reviews we're compelled out of frustration, fatigue, and bitterness about the relationships they have with their clients. Especially CUSTOMERS SERVICE.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I've tried using Citibank before and had issues with them. I thought I would give them another chance but because their system for some unknown reason couldn't send me a text to a phone number I've had for over 20 years with a code to verify my identify they blamed me for it (after being on hold for 30 minutes) and closed my credit card. I won't make the same mistake with them again. Don't bank with them. BIG mistake.

Take a Mortgage Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor