2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.6/5 (1467 ratings)

About Citibank

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: May 30, 2021

I feel really secure doing my shopping with you guys, besides the prices and variety that you have and delivery is fast and always I can count with my stuff in good shape by my door, thank you so much!!!

Original review: May 17, 2021

As soon they notified me, about the minimum payment and due date, I pay off their bill 2 or 3 week ahead of time, to make sure that they received before the due date. To void a past situation, that the payment reach them same due date, but they notified me that they didn't received, we tracked the money order, and we found out that the money order was deposited in their account, and changed. Which I send them a copy of the money order, was place in their account. That is my main reason that I have been paying their bill ahead of due date, and they reprimand me for that. I have violation the law for paying before due day?

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I have opened a Citi Priority account on 08/02/21 and maintained a balance well over 10K. I successfully linked my Citibank account with my mortgage company before 08/15. On 08/28, I made my mortgage payments as ACH payment from my Citibank account. Citibank returned the ACH withdrawals without paying them, though I have 3 times more money in the account. Never notified me via phone, email or postal mail. They claims that my account on under 'review' at the time the ACH debit came in. Never explain why; never notified me either. When I tried to login to Citi bank online, my password is not working. I called c/s and after about 45 minutes on the call, they say all holds are removed (still doesn't say what was the hold for). Never told me the ACH debits were returned unpaid.

After ten days, when I was notified by my mortgage company about this and charged me 'return NSF fee (NSF, when I had more than 3 times the debit advice)', I called Citibank and talked with one Angela, who keep on saying 'I understand, your account was under review'. What does that mean to me. I have opened my account giving them SS card, driver license and Citi credit card since 1990. Still they returned my mortgage payment and cause me to pay 'return charges, late charges' on my mortgage. She hung-up on me when I asked what sort of service is this and who is responsible for my cost in this problem. WORST EXPERIENCE IN MY 32 YEAR BANKING. I do bank with Chase, USBank and Capital 1; far better service and responsibility than Citibank.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I have been with Citibank for years. Recently my visa credit has been replaced because of fraudulence activities, which means the old credit has been discarded and I have the new card; but for some reason the citibank informed TransUnion credit bureau agency that my bank account has been closed, which is not true, since there is a balance on my "closed" account; my credit score has dropped 144 points from 804 to 660; that is what TransUnion representative told me. I contacted citibank customer representative twice today; and ask citibank to contact TransUnion to correct the error, the request was denied. Can you imagine if I am going to purchase big items like car, home, etc, what would happen after checking my credit score?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I have Citibank checking and savings account for more than 25 years. However, I finally decided to close the account and switch service to another institution. They used to have superb customer service. But the quality of customer service is horrible nowadays. Also, they let the fraudulent activities happen without my authorization.

Most recently, I have serious concerns about their security issues. I don’t understand why the electric check, which I never use as the payment method, says “payee authorization has been obtained” and money deducted from my account. I never gave the authorization, and Citibank never even called me to confirm! How such activities could happen? And, to make the matters worse, they made them call back many times. And they told me to visit the nearest branch, to solve this one issue that I’m not responsible for, if I didn't want my account closed immediately.

I had my payment going out the next day, so it would have been inconvenient to have it closed immediately. But WHY CAN’T THEY DO THAT FOR ME OVER THE PHONE WHEN THEY KNOW THAT THEY ARE THE ONES WHO MESSED UP? Why do I have to take leaves from work to visit the branch? I had to argue with the rep and she eventually said that they will keep my account open till I can visit the branch on Saturday. But I still have to go to fix THEIR mess. Why?

I also repeatedly asked not to authorize any other payments using the electric check which I never use, but they said that they cannot do that. So, I told them at least to make sure that any such payments to go through my authorization, and she told me that I have to call other customer service number to set up text message alert for suspicious transactions. What? You guys can’t fix your mess on your own? I have to call again? It’s Citibank's mistake for not having tight enough security. So, just recently, I decided to say goodbye to Citibank. I was so faithful for nothing. Really, to be honest, Citibank used to have great services until about 10 years ago. And Citibank used to be the number 1 bank in New York. I don’t lie. I don’t understand how they failed. Cutting customer service cost was the worst decision.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

They offered a promotion to open an account and after meeting few requirements in 3 months to get $300. I did all those and waited for 6 months, and calling 10 times. Still they have no idea. What is what!!??

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

We are American citizens who live part time on Trinidad & Tobago. We moved there 20 yrs ago and had our USA billing address for our card changed. We had a fee card with Citibank, paid up till July 2021. When a recurring payment didn't go thru, called them, learnt acct closed in April due to foreign billing address, a letter was sent which up to now we haven't received, borders were closed till July. This in a pandemic year. We applied for a new card with our USA address, denied, Equifax said no credit data for us. It should be excellent, always timely paid, a card we had since 1988, with $19000 credit limit.

Citibank subsequently told us no credit data applied to foreign addresses, we appealed to bank to use our history with them to enable us to get a new card. Seems can't be done. A catch 22, tho we have sufficient funds to buy a new car cash, we have zero credit data, can't even get a new credit card. We feel hugely wronged by Citibank. Guess we took it for granted we should have excellent credit, and never checked

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I don't even know where to continue the story of dealing with Citibank; all I can tell you is to put your money with someone else... ANYBODY ELSE!!! You'd be better off putting your money into a dirty diaper and burying it three feet underground. Sure, it'll be nasty when you have to access it but at least you:

a) know where it is,

b) have 24-7 access to it,

c) won't have to take any new blood pressure medication. I'm certain my blood pressure skyrockets anything I have to either go into a branch or call anyone in their "Customer Service" department. In fact, I'm starting to get hives just thinking that I have to call them again tomorrow because the department that states they can be contacted "24 hours a day, 7 days a week" is closed on Sunday. Maybe they have a different calendar where they love? Is the Mayan calendar still all wonky?

Been trying to close a checking account with this place for over two months now. My Dad died and I just want to be done with dealing with anyone employed there. First they requested paperwork, which I quickly supplied to them. The rep mentioned that it could take up to a month to get it closed, "Yanno, because of COVID." If I had further questions, rep gave me the employee that would be handling this going forward.

So, next day, attempt to get in touch with the Mr. Fixit guy that should have been able to, I don't even know what actually? Of course, leaving a VM leads nowhere. Try calling the branches main telephone and it rings and rings and then automated voice says all employees are busy, try calling back later. NO ONE EVER PICKS UP!!!

I tried to get help by calling Corporate (yes, again ... exercise in futility). Bounced around to four or five different people and when they tell me I need to contact my rep and/or the branch, I explain that I have a better chance of getting through to my Grandma who has been dead for over 40 years. She decides to see if SHE can get an answer there...

After a few minutes of waiting, she comes back on phone and decides to move me up to her supervisor (or whomever pretends to have a business card with that title). Of course, apologies abound... blah blah blah. I explain that all of the aforementioned BS that has happened with them over the years has pretty much sunk their reputation to lowest of the low... stinky pond algae has a better chance of getting a thumbs up from me. I am reminded that, once again, it may take up to a month to get this account closed. Simply marvelous! So, a month after that, I get a letter asking for completely different documentation that was requested the very first time I visited their branch. Oh, and this doc now has to be notarized! Wheeeeee!

Please, please, please strongly consider putting your money elsewhere. Is Bernie Madoff still around; even he'd be preferable at this point! Anytime you call, they say that all banking can be done online... except when they have deactivated your login information and get no response when you try to receive new info. That was actually where my problems (for 2021, at least) began on February. I don't know how Citibank stays open seeing as they suck a lot. Oh yeah, prolly cause no one can get their money out and close their account(s)! Beware. They can't even get my last name right, last name is "**" not **. (see photo.)

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

It all started when I deposited a check paid to my business into my account. I received a partial disbursement of funds until the check totally cleared. I was already spending these funds on a Friday evening. Come Saturday morning, I attempted to use my card. It was declined. Also, my account through the app became completely inaccessible. Come to find out, the “fraud” department at Citi locked my account late at night on Friday. So now I am totally without access to my legitimate money and guess what! Their “fraud” department does not work weekends. How lazy for an institution that handles your hard earned money. I am totally without a dime and there’s “nothing they can do!”

There has been zero fraud taking place and any option to address the situation is completely and totally out of reach for days on end. This is the type of customer service for a “priority” member that only rivals the most defunct and corrupt banking institutions of the third world. I am honestly disgusted that an American bank can be run like this. My advice to anyone is to NEVER look twice at this third rate and imbecilic entity. It would behoove anyone to bank literally anywhere else.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Citibank destroyed my credit score by 34 points claiming I filed for bankruptcy which is not true. I have somehow have managed to pay off credit cards despite being laid off for 5months in 2020. I was starting to pay this one down and they cancelled it and then claimed I’m bankrupt even tho that was not true and I have never missed a payment.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Citicard customer service is non-existent after 6PM. Tried to put card on Samsung pay and they put a Fraud alert that prevents ANY usage including autopays until a letter through the Postal system is received in 4-7 business days. In the meantime my accounts are not being paid and I am incurring late fees. I have had well over 50 cards in my lifetime and have never had this situation. The WORST card ever and I will close my account as soon as I acquire another card.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I tried activating a new credit card and was unable to do so even though I already have a banking, checking and another credit card with this bank. It didn't give me a phone number for activation, when I finally reached them they gave me the third degree 45 minutes and my account still wasn't activated. Now they're stating that I have to wait for a letter in the mail before I activate my card. Citibank outsources its telephone employees which means horrible communication. I had a lot of trouble in the past dealing with outsourced companies, there is no logical communication a lot of the times. I broke my cell phone one time with another company because of their incompetent employees. I wish this bank would not outsource their employees as well as other companies who do so. The aggravation is very upsetting. Hire Americans please!! Although these outsourced companies employees speak English I don't think they understand it.

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor