3.7/5 (1493 ratings)

About Citibank

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

Citibank sent a letter to confirm my company. I assumed it was spam as Citi has never done this before. They could have requested the info on my monthly statement and I would know it's not spam. Without a reply they canceled my card (7 cards as it's a business account). Never told me they were canceling. When it canceled all the 'thank you' points were deleted. I was a customer for more than 30 years. After more than 2 hours being bounced from dept to dept, no one can help. Citi has no customer service. Adios Citi.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

They advertise above average rates and a 450 dollar bonus after 60 days for new customers. I made my deposit in August and am still waiting for the 450 dollars. I have been calling for 4 weeks not and continue to be hung up on, promised I will get my money soon, been passed on to managers and have a complaint file that I'm now being told they have so many complaints they haven't gotten to mine yet. They originally said the complaint would be resolved in 10 days then 20 then 30 and as of today still don't have an answer to where my bonus is. Put your money somewhere else, they are a horrible company with no customer service.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

Go to another bank. This bank has no (none whatsoever) customer service. Prepare yourself to spend a day on the phone being transferred to what they call specialists. You will be annoyed beyond compare. They have branch managers who refuse to pick up the phone, when you go to see them, they will refer you to the customer service telephone #, because it isn't their area of expertise. I am talking about a Business Account, I have closed my personal credit cards for this exact reason. Business Accounts are tougher to close out. Save yourself a lot of angst, and call customer service lines before you open an account with anyone. Their customer service telephone is just a loop of morons who keep passing the buck. The last one who said she could understand me was Blanche id ** - ask to move along, she has a problem with the English language, and after almost 14 minutes, she asked me to call back and talk to someone else.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

They hung up on me while I was trying to withdrawal money. Multiple times and then wouldn’t let me withdraw my own money because they said it was a monthly limit and they couldn’t change it. Then proceeded to hang up on me again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

Do not trust Citibank. I spoke to customer service 3 times but unfortunately, they played a game with me and third time I called customer service her name was Prelie and she was so impolite. she thought I was born yesterday. I'm so sorry for Citibank that doesn't know who should work for Citibank and they don't know how should teach them.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

Citi checking account is such a bad account. Citi online didn't let me add my external account so I can fund my new Citi checking account. I tried several times and it never worked. I had to wire money to my new checking account. I had to pay wire transfer fees both to Citi and Allegacy. Terrible experience. Really poor bank. I called for help and they were unhelpful and rude. If you have other options, go there. Don't waste your time with Citi.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

I have been with Citibank for almost 10 years. At the end of each year, I would save my points and buy a Christmas gift for myself. In 2022 they pulled a shady, lowdown, BS move - their points program are no longer one-for-one. The 200 points I had saved up were now worth $2.00 instead of $200. Additionally, my 11% interest rate was increased to 24.99%...I seriously don't understand why. Called customer service and they don't know why either. ZERO notice from the company about either of these changes. THIS IS NOT HOW YOU TREAT LONG TIME CUSTOMERS WITH EXCELLENT CREDIT!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

I don't recommend Citibank credit card. I purchased a defective engine part shipped to Texas on my Citibank credit card from the California based ADV Cylinder Heads' (Seller) website. Eight days after receiving the defective item, I returned it to the Seller for a refund, however, the Seller failed to credit my Citibank credit card. In less than 30 days after making the purchase, I contacted Citibank customer service to file a dispute and I timely submitted a written dispute to Citibank Sioux Falls office as instructed on the reverse side of my credit card statement.

However, rather than reverse the Seller's charge of nearly $380 and credit my credit card for the returned defective item, Citibank instituted collection measures against me including late fees, and repeated collection phone calls. Citibank also reported my account as delinquent to credit bureaus causing damage to my excellent credit rating causing my other credit card interest rates and my automobile insurance rates to increase.

Citibank failed to acknowledge my dispute even though I followed all dispute procedures and contacted them multiple times in addition to repeated requests made to them during their debt collection calls. Finally, eight months later with the help of the FTC consumer protection division, the Citibank Office of the President stepped in and issued the long overdue credit to my account. This is the only credit card that I have used that failed to provide purchase protection. I can't trust Citibank credit card because I'm afraid I have no protection from fraudulent transactions.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

Sent $550.00 thru Western Union as payment the service provider requested. Citi charged me 5% or $27.50 because they said it was a cash advance. Transaction occurred on the 12th but didn't post until the 19th so they also charged me interest of over $3.00. Callled to try and get someone to help me with these ridiculous charges, they wanted to school me on cash advance procedures. I plan on cancelling the card because of the awful treatment I received. This company never heard of service recovery.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

Customer service is the worst. If they don't the answer they will say “give me a minute” and just forward call to someone else. It is so disrespectful. They keep wasting so much time. Their reward card is everything but not rewarding.

Citibank author review by Ashley Eneriz

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Ashley Eneriz Staff Writer

Ashley Eneriz has been a staff writer with ConsumerAffairs since 2022. She has been a personal finance writer for over a decade specializing in mortgages, loans, credit cards and budgeting. She has worked for top financial institutions, including Discover, The Hartford, ScotiaBank, Chime, Synchrony and more. Her work has been featured on Forbes, MSN, Yahoo, Reader’s Digest and Time.

Citibank Company Information