1.15/5

1217 Citibank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

On January 29, 2009, I opened an Interest Checking Account with $150.00 and Moneymarket Plus Account with $60,967.08 at this branch. On September 17, 2018, UPS delivered a letter to me from Citi, dated September 12, 2018, requesting that I please contact them as soon as possible; "Important account information is needed by October 11, 2018. A recent review of your account found that some important information is either missing or out of date. It's critical that you contact us to verify and update your information as soon as possible. Please be aware that because this information is required, if we don't receive the needed information from you by October 11, 2018 your account may be blocked to prevent transactions. As a valued customer, we look forward to working with you to resolve this urgent request so as to prevent any adverse impacts to your account."

On September 17, 2018, I called 1-800-986-5706 and spoke with Jonathan, who requested a copy of my trust document (which I had provided to the branch on January 29, 2009), the "Net Worth of Entity," a "Beneficial Ownership Declaration form," "Source of Wealth provided for Self-Employment," and "Annual Personal Income from Self-employment." He told me that if I did not provide this information my accounts would be closed. He confirmed this with an email.

On September 17, 2018, I visited the branch and met first with a personal banker and then the branch manager, who advised that if I did not provide this information my accounts would be closed. On September 17, 2018, I wrote to Barbara J. Desoer, Chief Executive Officer, and requested that she provide me with the legal basis relied on by Citibank, N.A. for its request for my "Net Worth of Entity," "Source of Wealth," and "Annual Personal Income from Self-employment," required or my account may be blocked to prevent transactions.

On September 18, 2018, I received a call from Dustin **, Financial Associate in the Executive Response Unit in San Antonio, Texas, who indicated that Citibank, N.A. is relying on the USA Patriot Act and Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 in its continued request for my "Net Worth of Entity," "Source of Wealth," and "Annual Personal Income" as a condition to continuing our relationship. On September 18, 2018, I wrote to Dustin ** and requested that he please provide me with the specific language used in the USA Patriot Act and Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 to support their decision. I copied Barbara J. Desoer, Chief Executive Officer, and Rohan **, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary.

On September 18, 2018, I again wrote to Dustin **, and enclosed copies of a Citi Trust or Estate Beneficial Ownership Verification, my California Driver License (front and back), and Schedule A of my revocable living trust. I indicated the source of my self-employment income, that the I do not believe the USA Patriot Act and Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 require me to provide Citibank with the amount of income I receive, and I do report all income to the Internal Revenue Service and Franchise Tax Board. I copied Barbara J. Desoer, Chief Executive Officer, and Rohan **, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary. My Interest Checking Account now has a balance of $100.10 and Moneymarket Plus Account has a balance of $14,656.05. After this unnecessary financial colonoscopy, if Citibank blocks or closes my accounts, we will be litigating.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Brand new customer and the account already was put on my credit report yet never received the cards. I called and got someone from India who speaks no English and asked me for a formal Word that I supposedly set up (Never did) and would not give me any information. They asked for my phone number in which I applied and said they could not find that. What? That's the phone I set it up with. So, the India guy hung up on me. I have never ever had such a terrible experience with a bank in my life... Ever.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Good day. I want to start by saying that Citibank has representative that can barely talk good English, and a lot of times they just hang up on you, they never want to credit back the money when you are doing a dispute. I'm going to change my bank they also charge you for fees.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

3 months ago, I opened a combo checking & saving Citibank acct for bonus $400. I transferred required amount to that checking and saving. Since the total amount is over $10000 so I will not have account fee. However, bad things - Citi still charges me account fees monthly which they accepted that it is their error (after I called). They refunded. Citi told me that opening saving and checking are not linked even I opened both at the same time and at requirement package. Citi accepted it is it error system and fixed it for me. However it's charging fee and not linking accts above make the minimum requirement balance for $400 bonus affected. Then Citi did not give me the $400 bonus. Damn them!!! Citi is not trusted.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

After I was told my account was active and ready to use, I deposited a large sum of money into the account. When I went to use my debit card, it was declined, only to find out that there was a block on my account. Turns out I needed to send in proof of residency (utility bill), which I was NEVER informed about (lie #1). Mind you this was Friday afternoon and the appropriate department was not open until Monday. A whole weekend with no funds. I sent in my utility bill on Monday only to find out it will take 24-48 hours to review... no funds available still.

Wednesday comes around and of course no answer (lie #2). They lost the document I faxed in! I was told to re-fax and it would take another 24-48 hours. I then said to close my account and demanded a check to be overnighted for my balance. I was told by a Supervisor that the check will be overnighted and to give them a call tomorrow (Thursday) for the tracking number. When I called the next day, they said the check has yet to be mailed but reassured me that I will receive it no later than Friday (lie #3). Well, today is Friday. I gave them a call as soon as I woke up and of course, they now have no record of my account closing or any check to be processed. Even though I was told on Wednesday and Thursday by a Supervisor that all is well and I'll receive the check no later than Friday. They are completely hopeless. DO NOT believe a word they say.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I paid off a credit card in FULL. I called in and got the "exact amount" from an agent to make a balance transfer. The amount was nearly $3,000. The total on the card was $3,500. So I made the payment to pay it off in full, and there ended up being a balance of $40. I disputed the amount saying that I had already called in and done a balance transfer. As a result, I got a late payment mark on my CREDIT REPORT, THEN THE CREDIT LIMIT CHANGED FROM $3,500 TO $500. I called in several times, but kept getting the same ridiculous answer: "We reserve the right to change your credit limit at any time." And I just said, "No you actually don't, I just paid you $3000 **!!!"

I have since looked into The Fair Credit Reporting Act. Because they are unethical and have no right to be keeping that money for themselves, and for bringing my score down. I made payments every month until an agent was dishonest with me, and I had two credit increases. It was OBVIOUS TO ME, that since I put a large amount on the card, THEY WANTED TO KEEP MY MONEY, and as I told some ** who claimed she was a "manager" but sounded like she just choked on someone's cherry earlier today, I will get my money back! Bye **! I know my rights!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I am a Citibank customer for two decades. Today I wished to transfer fund to my home (which I do often). During ‘log in’ process my NRE a/c was locked (which I believe is a regular security measure). I called up the customer service for help but I was told the system will automatically unlock after seven (7) days. To my experiences with other banks of your rank, on a similar problem, I have never been on hold for more than a couple of hours to overnight auto-reset of the a/c. I wonder, what kind of service it is, where an a/c cannot be reset on customer’s request within minimum time delay. What happens even after seven (7) days of being stranded, my a/c further gets locked up due to unknown reasons. I request you to look into this matter with due attention and let me know your status of the system. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Let me start with my disgust and dissatisfaction with this company. I get a notice in the mail that states I’m past due. I have never been late on any payment ever in my life. So obviously I freak and check my bank account and bill pay to see it had posted. I call Citi to find that it’s not actually past due. My payment is due the first WITH a 10 day grace period. It posted on the 4th but you sent the notice anyway. Such a waste of paper and my time. Not to mention you don’t offer online services for a loan. A loan that your company offers.

How would I have two credit cards with Citi if I was that irresponsible? Shows how much faith you have in your customer base. Now we move to them saying they had no good contact information for me. It’s on my credit online, and you’re always mailing me things but you can’t get in contact with me stating my phone is disconnected. I have had the same number for 20 years and I pay the bill. Horrible service and not much better company!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Worst bank ever!!! Deposited a check on Tuesday September 2nd, through the ATM. The fund was a loan for my tuition, was already out of time, dashed down to the nearest Citibank ATM and deposited it, Waited patiently because I knew the check should clear lastest Friday, so I can quickly pay my fees because I was already behind schedule. As at Friday almost close of business, my entire deposit was not dropped, started panicking because I knew I had missed the deadline and I had to call the school to plead with them.

Reached out to a customer service representative to inquire why my fund was not completely released and this guy tells me the fund will be released in 4 tranches, and I scream that I am already behind schedule and he says he cannot do anything. I call on Monday, requested to speak to a supervisor and pleaded and explained my plight to the manager. All she tells me is that I should go to the branch where the account was opened and speak to the manager and I tell her the account was opened in another location and she tells me, she can't do anything.

Long story cut short, missed my deadline for school payment. And I am wondering if this is done to every customer? Or because myself and my spouse are not high net worth individuals? Oh well, we will take our little resources elsewhere where people empathize with others and I can comfortably deposit funds and use it at will. As for me, my spouse and all of our loved ones, we are DONE with this bank.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Literally the worst ever! Every time when I want to link an external account there is always an error. I made a payment several days ago and copy pasted routing and account number from my BOA account to Citi and they said they cannot locate the account and want to charge me return payment fee??! I basically copy pasted the number? And what the heck are you doing?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

The offshore call centers are terrible to deal with. The difference between Asian languages (and nuance) and American English are dramatic. Understanding what's being said is particularly important especially when we're talking about money. The overseas phone connections are also not always reliable. There doesn't seem to be any way of contacting Citi in the US. If you're not near a Citi branch, don't bank with this company.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I went to 2 different ATMs listed on the internet but they didn't exist. I called customer service and they told me that the only existing ATM is 10 miles away. I know that there was a branch location 5 miles away but apparently customer service was not aware of. When I went to the branch office they didn't accept cash to pay my credit card!!! That is their NEW POLICY!!! Which bank in the world doesn't accept cash payments??? They refer me to get a PIN on the customer service phone to pay on the ATM. I'm right now 2 hours trying to get someone on the phone "lines are busy please try again USNN" after asking me 10 questions every time!!! All for nothing!!! They just hang up on you!!! Worst bank ever!!! I just shopped to use them as my main credit card like 2 years ago but I decided to give another tried this month and I regret it so much!!! WORST BANK EVER!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I called today to close my Citibank account and was told that in order to do so I had to have a zero balance on my account. I therefore wired the money I had on my Citibank account to my other business account. So far, no problem. Then, I was told that I had to wait 48 hours for the closing to take effect, which is where I have a major problem.

As I told the Citibank account rep, what happens if during those 48 hours another ACH payment comes on my account? First, it will be not honored (because the account is now at 0) but Citibank will charge me $35.00 overdraft fee. So I will be $35.00 negative on my account and will need to pay that to put it back to 0 and then wait again 48 hours to confirm the closing. And if another ACH payment comes meanwhile? Well, same thing again, I will have to pay for the $35 overdraft fee and wait another 48 hours to confirm closing, and so on.

So basically it could be a never ending story with weeks before the account is actually closed, with overdraft fees in between. Nothing they can do about it as "this is how our system works". If I close my account, it should be effective immediately, and the 48 hours wait is just a way to keep you as long as possible and to suck you for more overdraft fees. I did try to stop all ACH payments but Citibank could not do that. A nightmare, avoid Citi at all costs!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

About 3 month ago I opened a checking and saving account with Citibank based on their $400 bonus offer. I deposited a 5 digit amount. Citibank sent me checks and I paid my property tax through the checking account. Check and penalties from the County came back with the note that Citibank returned the check with the remark Frozen/blocked the account. I do not know why and I also never ever received notice from Citibank about this. Also they are not able to establish online service for the account. I spent hours on the phone. Needless to say, I also did not receive the $400 bonus. Citibank is the worst Bank I have ever done business with. Total FRAUD.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

They seriously need to fire the person who trains their people. They have the worst customer service I have ever experienced. They have no idea what they are doing. You have to speak to 5 different people to get answers to 1 question. How pathetic. They need to really work on doing something about creating a better experience for their customers.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I used the Citibank mobile app to do a Zelle payment. I set the transaction up and the app stated the payment failed. I did the payment again, again the app stated it failed. Right after that I got notified that the payments went through. I sent double the amount of money intended. I called Citibank and they stated they cannot do anything, the money has been taken. This should not be able to happen as the money cannot be recovered and the original message was the transaction failed. Citibank Customer Service was HORRIBLE. I was hung up on twice, they put no notes in the call after the first hangup where I spend 15 minutes explaining my issue. I had to do the whole explanation over again after spending 15 minutes with the phone tree trying to get a human. I am switching banks, the service is horrible.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

CITIBANK blocked my accounts. When I called I was told that they needed information from me, a Federal government requirement. CITI sent me an email with the questions which were mostly asking for details about my investment portfolio. Every year I file my income tax returns which includes all this information. I can't imagine why CITI would need me to make a financial disclosure to it. This matter is still ongoing and they have yet to unblock my accounts. I am very disappointed with CITI's lack of respect for its clients - I am a Gold client.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I received my new card today, successfully activated it online and even downloaded the app and registered the card for convenience. I decided to use it for a small purchase and it gets declined 3 times. After speaking with someone who I could barely understand, I was told that my account is under investigation for fraud and that I need to wait for a letter to arrive via regular mail to verify my identity. How is the account being investigated when I have $0 balance on a $4800 approved credit line?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Offered this credit card at Sears with intro offer to purchase an appliance which was defective and returned. Was charged for 3 stoves, finally credited after 2 months, given back a $600 credit to spend which I argued to take back since it was not my money, confused my account with another customers account. Communicated through secure email, slowly resolving after 2 months, escalated complaint to OCC based on personal experience of how Citibank has mismanaged my purchases and refunds and account. Will be closing out the account once all of this gets resolved with the OCC.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

It happened second time this year. I received a letter from business department, that my account requires additional information. "Contact Citibank or your account will be blocked." OK. I contact Citibank and agent faxed me some forms, then I send them back. It all took about two weeks. Everything fine? No!! I was shocked to find out that my account was blocked without any notice immediately after our contact. All bills, parking tickets went unpaid with all penalties and fines. After that they finally unblocked account. Recently I've got the same letter, I rush to my local Citibank branch and asked local banker to talk with this department. She called, we answered some questions. She said, "Everything OK, don't worry." Now guess what. Next week account blocked again and they said, "We need about a week to review your account." Credit card bills, utilities bills, rent payments... who cares. We cannot trust such service with our daily life.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have received a letter from Citibank in July about 1.6 promotion rate if I opened a new account with them. I did apply online for a saving and checking account. The first transaction was delayed and wasn't show up on time on my account. Their customer service suggested me to contact my source bank to figure out what is going on. I did. After a month, my account has been blocked and I have been told they terminated my business forever and then closed my checking account which I just applied two weeks ago. I keep asking them the reason. I didn't have a clear answer 'til now. I tried my best to communicate with them and I have got nothing solved except being kicked out by them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I opened a new account with Citibank because they had advertised an attractive introductory offer. When I received my card in the email I called them to activate it and they gave me the runaround when verifying my identity. First, they requested to send me a text message with a verification code. I confirmed the phone number three times before they sent text and the text never arrived. They then asked for alternate number, but then refused to send the text message to any alternate phone. Ultimately, after I made suggestions to send via email which they also refused to do, they said they would have to send me a letter with instructions to verify my identity. Meanwhile, all the online registration to view my account status is all blocked. What a waste of time. I’m looking elsewhere as Citibank blocked me online without even having an activated card and 0 transactions.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

The process was slow when I refinanced with Citibank, and sometimes I felt as though had I not called from time to time, they never would have picked up my file, but they were very nice each time I spoke to someone there, and ultimately, we did get it completed satisfactorily. Now they have sent my loan to another company for servicing and I am having problems there with getting my payments properly posted.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I ran into a little credit problem about a year ago. I had a number of cards issued by Citi retail services (Citi). While I have never missed a single payment on any of these cards they reduced my limit to just 50.00 above my balances. Example I had a 3000 limit on a card with a balance of 400.00, they reduced my limit to 450.00 and each time I pay the account down they reduce my limit again. They want you to have a high balance so they can charge you interest but once you pay down they reduce your credit line. Sorry company, cancelling each card I pay off. I know it will hurt my credit but so is this company by reducing my credit lines.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Worst bunch of crooks ever. They allowed my card to be hacked and then want to charge me late fees on an unauthorized charge I didn't even know about (they rather charge late fees then notify customers). Get a card from a reputable company and stay away from these thieves.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Have a mortgage with Citibank. Have had the loan for 20 years - it is an interest only loan. Citibank is very efficient and very easy to deal with. I like this type of loan cause I can do whatever I want to do on the spur of the moment - but dangerous if you can't pay the bill.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Their online accounts and website is one of the worst I've seen. They froze our account even when we typed the correct password in. Called customer service (which is overseas and difficult to deal with) and spent over an hour trying to get them to unfreeze online account. Only to find out our password was correct the whole time. They were a mess to deal with. THEN tried to use the card later that day, and they froze the account again! With a fraud alert. Called the fraud dept. Spent another 20 min to only have them say they couldn't verify our identity with the phone number on the account.

THEY HAD OUR PHONE NUMBER and would not call it. Said the phone number wasn't verified when in fact it was. Citi had just added it themselves earlier that day AND confirmed it! It was on the account. I could see it but they wouldn't call it. What a mess. THEY SAID THEY COULD ONLY VERIFY BY LETTER. Guess what. They had an old address on file. So no way we're ever getting that letter. Good grief. Talk about a trainwreck all around. Should have never left AMEX. NEVER AGAIN. Done with CITI. Another customer lost for you all. Good Luck.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

The State of California levied against my bank account for an 18 year old debt. Citibank honored the levy while also taking their fee for the levy. I told the customer service to please forward my request to their legal department to not levy since the only funds in the account was my Social Security. The bank makes a copy of all checks when depositing. However, the office that handles the levy only sees that there is a check deposited and deemed it was leviable money. The State cannot levy on Social Security and the levy was released. Citibank will not release the service charge of $125.00 unless the state sends a letter saying that it was a wrongful levy when Citibank is the one who levied incorrectly. Citibank forwarded the money to the State of California. Even the State's representative said the Citibank should have known better not to levy. It's now day 20 without resolution.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I was going to get a credit card through Citi to purchase a lawnmower. The woman on the phone was condescending, rude, and even laughed at me. I have good credit but because I no longer use credit cards and my cell phone is on my fiance's name, they denied me. They treated me like a second class citizen, a criminal. I hate this company and their rude employees too.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I have been a loyal customer of Citibank for over 30 years. I have never been late on a credit card or any payment. My son's accounts are linked with mine so I can add to their accounts as they are at college. We have 9 CITI accounts total. Last month I was informed that all the accounts would be closed within 21 days. Including all our credit cards. No reason given. When I call CITI they said they did not have to give me any reason. BTW. There was over $150,000 in my account alone! My Local Citibank manager was shocked, but they wouldn't give her any info. I had to transfer everything to Chase.

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg