Citibank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

A new debit card was issued and sent to my old address as on their register. Not responding to Citi, I was blocked from my accounts online. This I don't blame them. But, as directed by several Citi representatives I sent a registered, notarized letter requesting a change of address so that a new debit card could be sent to the present address, which also happens to be the address where I receive Citi credit cards and mail. Now this was early October and I still haven't received my debit card. I called Citi (San Antonio, TX) at least 10 times since then: First time they said they never received my notarized letter, I provided them with UPS documental proof of delivery, including the name of the one who signed for the letter. I sent a second notarized letter then started a series of Citibank claims that they sent the card but it keeps being sent back as undeliverable.

I asked for proof which would be no more, no less than a tracking number. Citibank never gave a tracking number, claiming they can't find it, it's been erased and other nonsense. (Funny I am able to provide tracking and proof of my mail, and yet a big company like Citi that manages the life savings of its customers is unable to find a tracking number for 8-9 mails sent out, and a company that can't find a notarized letter I sent out in October). The last time my debit card was processed after I spent a 40 minute long distance call at my expense was February 2, they promised I would get by Feb. 7 -- nothing arrived. I called Citi again and again they don't have a tracking number which -- it didn't make sense to me -- would be available when the letter was delivered and claimed that I was not on their 'list' which means no card was mailed out to me.

So what is going on Citibank? I have no access to my money which, along with that of other customers, goes to pay your salaries and finances the luxury lifestyle of your bigwigs!!! I will cut off business ASAP and will consider suing for inconvenience, financial harassment, mental harassment engendered because some company is unable to send a simple letter with a card to an address provided in writing and over the phone about 10 times! I just wish that I could provide transcripts of my phone conversations with them and you wouldn't believe the contradictions, the stupidity on their part.

Our non-profit organization received a letter that threatened to close our account at Citibank. This account was crucial for our international organization to move funds to our various programs throughout the world. I immediately called our "relationship manager" who was on leave. Her voicemail referred me to her back-up, who assured me that he would resolve the issue upon her return. Unfortunately he did nothing and the account was closed. I then visited the local branch to determine the issue and reset the account. The branch staff were finally successful in getting our "relationship manager" to call us back. We had called her numerous times with no response.

Our relationship manager was unable to tell us why the account was closed and finally confirmed the account would be re-opened the next day. She explained that she had left messages for us and we did not respond. Unfortunately we had no messages, emails or voicemails from her. She then stated that we did not return an information request to Citibank. So I requested whatever forms that needed to be completed. She sent us a form that we had already completed. There was no other information needed. We are now two weeks into the process and incoming money transfers were being rejected. On the final call we escalated to management, but once again they referred to our relationship manager.

Never during the 25-30 calls we had with Citibank was there ever an expression of regret for the problem they created, never an answer on why the account was closed and worst of all, no employee of Citibank would commit to solving the problem and carry through on their promise. We have given up and shifted our accounts to Bank of Marin, a bank who carries through in their promises. Citibank simply does not employ people who (1) understand their job, (2) care about the customers and (3) the bank does not empower their employees to do their job. If you rely upon this bank, good luck. At a minimum you should establish your backup bank now.

After the hassle to open a personal saving account, only then I knew that Citibank has no debit card service for online shopping, how disappointed!!! Luckily the information came by just before I filled up the form to open the account. Why that you offer credit shopping facility but not debit banking facility? Not profitable much?

I needed to have Citi contact my mother since my cell phone was under her name for our family plan. They could not directly verify my phone by sending me a text/calling. This is the standard practice for Discover, AMEX, and Chase. I don't understand why I needed to spend 30 min on the phone with 2 different representatives to do this. Neither my Google phone number, work cell phone, or my fiance's cell phone numbers were acceptable.

I don't normally leave reviews, but my experience with Citibank warrants a word or two. In less than a year, my identity has been stolen two times. Each time, my American Express card was compromised. The first time, last summer, the thieves charged close to $2,000. The second time, just a few days ago, $6,000 was stolen. There is something very wrong here. These thefts have cost hours and hours of my time in replacing cards, working with the Fraud Department, closing and reopening multiple accounts that were linked to the cards, and extensive time spent on the phone going through the automated calling system, getting transferred from one operator to another, and trying to decipher very thick accents.

If this wasn't enough, I've spent hours trying to work my way through their maze of security questions (every time I try to log in). For months, they were asking me questions I didn't even know the answer to; so, I had to call... and here I went again with the automated system, the operators who didn't know what to do and kept asking me more stupid questions... terrible. And finally, there has been an ongoing issue of not being able to access the online account due to pages refusing to open (despite using two different browsers, updating all of my settings, etc., more lost hours). I can't take this anymore. Who has this kind of time to waste and who is comfortable with repeated identity theft? What a shame. American Express was good to me for over fifteen years, until Citibank took over. I'm done. Please be cautious with this group. There is no excuse for their ineptitude and failure to protect their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

I opened a Best Buy credit card about almost two years ago. At this time now I have made some purchases like a TV, gaming system, etc.. I got a letter the other day saying they decided to close my account! When I called the guy on the phone was very rude and said they can close whenever they want to because they are the bank. Why did they decide to wait until I made these purchases to close my account. My credit score hasn't changed that much. So Citibank is the worst bank I've ever had to work with, for that reason I will not be dealing with Best Buy either until they decide to go with a different bank!!! DONT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH CITIBANK.

I opened up an account with Citibank two weeks ago online. Sent my information to them and transfer money into the account. I went to get money out of my account and was told my account was blocked because I needed to provide them with my ID. I asked if I could go to the branch to give them my ID I was told no. I must mail or fax my ID to them. So I faxed it twice and they called me telling me that they are unable to read the ID.

OK now I'm still unable to access my money or pay bills. So I made copies of my IDs and went to the post office and paid for it to get there in two days. So here we are almost 3 weeks later I get a call saying that I need to get a state ID because my driver's license has my maiden name and I send them a state resident's card with my married name (which I asked if that was OK because I just moved to NY and was in the process of changing my information) they will not let me access my funds. They won't help me at all. They basically block my account. I am so upset. Once I get my funds out I will never bank with them again. I don't recommend this bank they will block your funds without informing you.

I have had several Citibank accounts for nearly 30 years and have been using their online services for around 10 years. When I recently attempted to add a recurring payment for health insurance I repeatedly received a message saying there was a "Temporary Delay" implying the site had difficulties. After retrying numerous times over 4 days, I contacted their support and was told there were no problems with their website. They stated the problem was either that I didn't clear my cache or was using an unsupported browser.

Having followed their directions I again attempted to add the payee and received the same "Temporary Delay" notification. My experiences exposes what I see as major shortcomings in Citibank's online service: Failure to support payments to a popular vendor (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois). Misleading online error message indicating there is a system problem when apparently the system is functioning. Customer support that misdirects the consumer and provides no resolution to the issue. Bottom line is that Citibank is forcing me back to paper checks for this vendor.

$25 late fee and $2.15 interest charge -- Evidently my payment in full of $169 was two days late because of the weekend. They refused to reimburse the fee and gouged me interest at 16.49%. How can they do that when they borrow money from the Feds at near zero and we bailed the banks out not long ago? I almost always pay in full, have a very high credit score, and they say there is nothing they can do because my bank screwed up and it's not their fault. I like Capital One, etc. much more so will stop using my Citi card.

I received an email from Citibank to say I had a check refused due to lack of funds. I live in England and opened an account with them in September 2015 while in Los Angeles due to my mother's death. I used the account once to wire some funds to my UK bank, so I was very concerned that a check was written against my account. Upon ringing Citi bank I explained I didn't have any bank checks. I have spoken to 3 to 4 service advisors and 3 managers to resolve my issue. I found out someone wrote a check and got cash from my account. Having been successful they wrote another for the same amount. That's when it bounced. I viewed the checks online on account details. They were company checks without my name on them. Plus where shows pay to the order of, it was blank!

Every time I rang Citibank I would have to start all over again on I was calling after asking each advisor if they did not have details of my complaint already in a note pad. I asked the last advisor for the name and number for governing body which regulates Citi bank to complain. I was told they didn't have it. Spoke to a manager to request it and told she didn't have it but would look it up and contact me. No one at Citi bank has a clue how to give good customer service. I have been in customer service related work most I my life and never dealt with an American company with such a lack of what customer service is suppose to be.

CitiBank took over American Express's credit card in July 2016. CitiBank can keep calling 3 or 4 times a day but when you call back the number, you can't speak to anyone but an automated person. This goes on for months and when you can finally shut off your home phone because of the annoying calls. Then you get from calls from the company (Alltran a collection company that Citi Bank hires) on your cell phone. The person on the phone calls and asked the person they're looking for and you respond to them and say "have you sent a letter to that person in the mail". The collection company person said "OK" and hung up. A letter came in the mail finally.

I also started to get emails from Citibank and I would try to respond to them by calling them. The person I spoke with from number they told me to call, She couldn't help me and couldn't transfer me because she didn't know how or she said the system was down. Didn't make sense. They gave me the wrong number in the email. I also have been locked out of my account online. I have tried to retrieve it. I have also had gone to Costco to try to solve the issue and I couldn't get anywhere with that because they tried calling the number they had. I spoke with someone but I needed my credit card number with me. They just couldn't look me up. This is the issue has been going on since they took over. I even had charges on there that I needed to dispute but I couldn't because I was in the hospital. I was very ill for 2 months.

CitiBank doesn't care about anyone. The late fees and interest keep going up and I can't stop any of this. I probably won't even get my rewards that I had earned from American Express because Citibank won't mail them. They are not even in the statement. I feel that CitiBank doesn't care about anyone and someone needs to stop CitiBank from being dishonest to their customers. The government needs to stop CitiBank from hurting customers and having good customer service. They don't have good customer service at all. They need better was to be able to contact them. I hope someone reads this and helps with this issue! American Express wouldn't have never done this to their customers. They had a good customer service.

I have the American Airlines MasterCard with a $450 annual fee. The AA lounges have turned to be lame in maintenance and quality of service provided. None of my complaints was ever resolved. I recently started a dispute with a merchant in Argentina. Only one week after that Citibank credits my account the full amount was charged again with no previous explanation or notification. At the same time that I start to deal with the dispute department from Citibank, my card is blocked for use overseas. Citibank failed to assist me with this problem and I'm still unable to use my card.

Amy from the executive office called me several times making me spend money in long distance phone calls. This person has no idea about disputes and kept asking me for more information even when plenty of documents as invoice, mails to the merchant, summons to court, bill for a replacement item, detail of missing merchandise and/defective service, dates of contacts, details of missing products, etc, etc was sent.

Over two months later Citibank does not resolve the dispute neither proceeds to refund me the amount requested for items never received. Ms. Desoer, the CEO at Citibank was notified via email and she has clearly ignored each one of my emails Not to say the lack of professional courtesy considering that she was informed about the fact the I'm the CEO of an American company. I do plan to cancel my credit card upon returning to USA and file a complaint about this false advertisement. Citibank promotes consumer protection and completely fails to honor this advertisement. I will check each one of my credit cards and proceed to cancel all the ones related with the Citibank. I will also urge my staff to avoid the Citibank at any expense.

My husband and I were U.S. Airlines mastercard holders for at least 5 years. When American Airlines merged with U.S. Air our credit cards were changed. We received new cards from Citibank. Apparently, my husband owed $23.00 on his old card. Never knew about it. Never received an email or a letter until Citibank sent him to a credit agency. His credit rating is 830. We spend an average amount of $5,000 per month and paid the card in full each month. Citibank would not waive the $23.00 fee which we were unaware of. We have cancelled all of our cards with Citibank and will never do business with them again. I am happy we found this out now.

I do not have a problem paying my bills, yet somehow Citibank comes up with ways to miraculously lose my payments! (And of course they never tell me about it until after the late charge is already in place.) I have banked with them for years and it wasn't until they took over my Best Buy card (previously managed by Chase Bank with no issues by the way) that I started experiencing problems. First problem: They refuse to combine my personal account with my Best Buy Card. Every other bank seems to have the ability to manage the store cards and personal cards from the same account, but not this one. Second problem: I set up auto-pay and they wait until 33 days later to send me any sort of notification that the payment didn't go through.

Third problem: They don't send bills, or they send them to the wrong place after multiple corrections. Fourth problem: I tried making an account online time and again, and they make it so ridiculously difficult to do so that it literally took 2 months to complete. (They said I had to have my Best Buy card, even though I can use my account to pay for stuff at the store with just my social). Fifth problem: They shut down all three of their banks in my area just a year or two ago so now the closest installation of their faulty service is multiple hours away. They are not interested in their clients' well-being, just trying to take advantage of their situation as a lender in as shady a way as possible. Good riddance Citibank, you deserve to fail.

I need a letter from Citibank saying it's your fault why none of my bills are getting paid because of this block you have on my checking account that nobody can remove, unless I come into the branch I started at and that is in Freeport New York. I did 20 years ago. Now I live in Tampa Florida 13 years. I am on Dialysis 3 times a week. I get around on a scooter. I am 68 years old. My Husband Nick is 73 years old. Are you trying to kill us by hold our only livelihood. HOSTAGE our social security checks pension and retirement money does not even add up to 2000 dollars. Why us. I going to try my best to get this one the news. What would you do if this was you or your parents?

I have been lied to about my account being off this block since Dec 31 2016 by bank worker. I have it all on my phone so keep lying Citibank workers. I do know some of them really tried but they could not do it. Who can remove it. Please do tell. I use to think very highly of Citibank now not so much. I cannot pay my rent or any of my bills. I will probably lose my insurance because of Citibank but the question is will they step up and take the blame for what has happen to my Husband and I. I think I need a Lawyer.

I hold a non resident ordinary (NRO) and non-resident external (NRE) accounts with Citibank over more than a decade. My experience with these accounts is that they are difficult to make deposits into and even more to get any kind of money out. I have struggles with problem after problem and my conversations with a remote help desk are filled with placatory bromides from the staff and readings from standard customer scripts. I am fed up with trying to get the things one does in the US normally with Citibank NRI services.

Setting up an online account. Haven't been able to despite several failed attempts. After each attempt, the site is locked out for several days. I am an IT professional who is in the business and this website has got to be the worst one I have ever reached. The user interface sucks as does the validation processes. The phone on record was a phone I had more than five years ago. To be able to log in I need a one time password on a phone I no longer have. Unfortunately everything to do with the bank is only through the online account. I have been unable to escalate the matter with Citibank despite emails complaining to them. It appears they are not only uncaring but tone deaf to the customer voice while they put out saccharin sweet message about being customer oriented.

I had received two debit cards by mail from India that are delivered during business hours to my home (registered address) necessitating a Saturday trip to the Post Office to take possession. Several weeks later two sets of PINs showed up (same registered letters and two trips to the Post Office). When I tried to use the cards, they were not honored.

The staff on the 800 helpline will only handle one matter at a time - possibly instructions from their managers to minimize customer interactions. They are also tied in terms of what they can do. On occasion I have provided my date of birth, my registered address, my passport, the name of the person named as a nominee and every other piece of information known to man. Despite all this they are very reluctant and express inability to help. When asked for escalation, I found there was no recourse.

When a fixed deposit matured, I asked the 800 help desk to transfer money from my deposit account to the checking account. To my surprise they said they could not do it despite the fact that the two accounts belonged to the same customer. They asked me to write a letter requesting the transfer to some post office box in New York. When I did, I have not heard back but I did receive a notice from Citibank that rather than closing out and transferring the money per my request, they had renewed the deposit for 12 more months at half the rate of interest.

Citibank is an example of how not to do banking. I am looking forward to the day when I can end my relationship with this bank and take my business to a place where the customer is really appreciated as shown by the degree of service orientation. From the time my account was opened in the Fairfax Branch of Virginia, Citibank first closed out the NRI desk and then last week I found the furniture also cleaned out. This monster created by Sanford Weill is slowly going the way of the dinosaurs - hastened by a lot of careless managers and branches that seem to take the customer for granted and are drunken with their own importance.

I had two accounts with Citibank. One was with Expedia for travel purposes, and the other was by default Costco. I have never had a problem paying my bills. They have always been paid on time, in full. Until this year! The first time was with my Costco card. I was first called by Citibank saying I never paid my June bill. Which I had because at the time it was still with American Express. There was a late charge added, of course by Citibank. I told them it was paid, and through American Express. I had even received an email and letter stating I didn't have to pay, but did anyway. Then, it turned into I didn't pay July, then August, then September.

I finally closed the account and card. I finally spoke to someone in collections that said it was an $8 difference between what I paid and what was due in August, but for some reason even on the bill... It didn't show it!! He had to go digging into the account record to find this information. The only way I managed to speak to him was because I told a manager that if they wanted money it wasn't going to happen until they fixed the account because I would file for bankruptcy before paying them one more dime. Then, it would whatever would be agreed to in bankruptcy court. Plus, I was sure anyone I hired would be able to follow the paper trail along with every call I made, and would find how screwed up the account was by Citibank's own doing.

Then, my Expedia card started having the same exact billing issues. I paid online, received confirmation, then, lo and behold the payment didn't go through, and I start receiving numerous phone calls saying I didn't pay. Just this month, I became so peeved after having the card for 3 years, I closed it! Do I know it will effect my credit score, yes! But having a bad credit score is way better than dealing with a company that screws over their customers by not being forthcoming with information and magically screwing up 2 separate accounts with late fees and magically making payments disappear to apply said late fees. Now I am magically having the same thing happen with my Macy's card that just happens to be controlled by them. Guess that will be the next one I close.

Checked CrediWise as I do monthly and saw a surprise balance for an old Citi card that I no longer use. I called Citi for help and was told that balance was so high it exceeded the limit. Instead of helping or transferring me to the fraud dept, they transferred me to a collection agency! I've been a customer for 18 years and my credit score is 827. They basically will not help in any way.

I had to recently contact Citibank because fraud protection was preventing me from making a large purchase. I called, selected English as my language, and was connected to a representative. She asked my name, and after I said it, she asked what language I spoke. What?? I was surprised and offended. Did she ask because my last name is Asian, and my first name, while not unheard of, is not that common? No customer service representative has ever asked me what language I spoke. Why didn't she wait for me to speak more words before she making the assumption that I might not speak English. I was born in the United States, and have no accent, unless it's a California one.

I had to repeat my name, then I said English language, partly to confirm that I did in fact speak English and because I was irritated. She said, if I couldn't stay professional on the call, then she would end up. Never have I encountered such attitude by a representative. I was not abusive, or angry, and during the call up until that point, I had only spoken my name 2x, my account number, and had confirmed that I spoke English. I hope I never have to contact them again. And I'll definitely being using my Citi cards less.

They claim that you "signed up" for paperless... When intuitively it is known that these "informed consents" to paperless are sneakily embedded into the website so that you believe you're clicking "next" because you have a life and the world does not revolve around spending time on a friggin' sillibank website... And, of course, you've SIGNED up for their paperless service. Then, you receive no paper bill, miss your payment, and they charge you a late fee. After 15 years of being a customer, I became a cursetomer today... Closed account today because being upset is really no way to spend a holiday. Can't wait to get the class action settlement statement in the mail for this business practice in a couple of years...

So I was very happy when my husband was approved by Citibank. Cash is a little low this Christmas and they were offering 0 Apr for 18 months. Seemed like a God send. Approval was a little over 6 thousand. He gave me a 2 thousand limit for Christmas figuring we could have it paid within three months. Well Christmas hopes shattered. I went online to get started, made my purchases at Walmart, Kmart, went to check out at Toys R us and my card was locked. Understandably. It is a new card and I was making a lot of purchases. SO THEY CALLED MY HUSBAND. He verified I was Christmas shopping and everything was fine. They said they would unlock the card. We repeated this process no less than 6 frigging times yesterday what a nightmare and the card is still locked.

So far I spent a little over 900 on a 6000 credit limit and Citibank is not letting me make anymore purchases. Why send the damn card??? So I have half my shopping done with 7 days to go. Now they want him to call them from work. Not going to happen. He lays concrete in the field - no work phone. Why approve the card then not let us use it. I would have gone a different route had I been aware. CHRISTMAS RUINED. Thanks Citibank. This has been unduly stressful. We had offers for any number of cards based on income and my husband's credit report. Unfortunately I chose this one. Now 7 days before Christmas trying to finish shopping on a shoestring budget. Don't approve cards you don't want people to actually use.

I have a Citibank account in US and I came to India for vacation and I lost the card. I raised to block it and they blocked it...raised a request to provide replacement card. I provided the card to my India address (due to missing address line it got delayed and somehow I got it). Though they didn't provide any alert or information or notification regarding anything that it has been sent or regarding the tracking no. But they send me the card with same no and which is not able to activate, hence they suggested to reorder and now after 4 days they mentioned the country name wrongly and hence courier is not sent. No notification regarding that. When I called them for tracking no. they are saying this. I finally after long now again reorder. Agents are taking more time to do it even though it is ending in wrong information update.

To do this totally 1 hr for first time order, 3 hours for second time order, 1:30 hours for third time order. Finally Supervisor said that "we apologize" and disconnected the call. I was asking her a query regarding when it will get delivered. She said "above words" and disconnected the call. They are not listening to the customer words properly and doing work for just to time pass and get the pay. Worst service. There is no email escalation for Citibank US. After 10 days also still card is not sent from US. My account is also completely blocked (including online). Am not able to do any processing or do payments or anything. I m not able to give negative stars.

Scam-Fraud Citibank - Account Opening. After being a loyal customer for 15 years, CitiBank (Lake Success, NY Branch) forced me to open a Savings account mentioning that I can earn up to 10 times of an interest which can come down to $400 a month. They intentionally hid the information that $400 is ONE TIME only. Not a recurring interest! The day was a very important day for me in my life not having a single minute to waste. The Rep Rosy ** of that branch kept on saying it would only take 10 minutes. It took over an hour as she said the system was slow not keeping my other commitment of my 9 year old son, not attending a Good Bye party. When I saw I only got $1 interest, I called the 1800 No. They said it is only one time $400, that I can earn after 6 months!

Rosy ** knew when I was handling thousands of dollars, I did not care about only $400, that is a peanuts to me. I would not care about that $400 for that precious and very important day in my life! I spoke to Susie ** today, she said this is not a fraud. Not mentioning that 'Opening an Account' for a Customer who kept on saying she does not have a single minute time, does not care about only $400. Not explaining the 'RIGHT THING, only up to $400'. The Bank Manager Guy ** should take care of that 'Citibank Account Opening Scam'. Just forget how to treat a customer who is a loyal customer for 15 years, and PRESSURE to open an account, so the Bank center can meet some target of how many accounts they have opened that year!

I have had the absolute worst experience with Citibank and their customer service department. I ordered a credit card and was notified via e-mail it was returned. The e-mail stated I needed to log on to my account to correct my address. I was unable to do so because I never received my card, therefore couldn't create an account. I called customer service and expected to simply verify my address so my card could be resent. However, when speaking to the man 'helping' me, he asked to verify my security word.

I was told my security word was incorrect numerous times. (It wasn't.) What should have been a 5 minute call turned into a 45 minute call on my lunch break. I eventually hung up because I was going in circles trying to prove my identity. The next day I called back hoping to get someone different. I got the same person. This time I had a block on my account because my card to labeled as fraud. I again said my same security word and after arguing to prove my identity, my word was finally accepted.

This whole ordeal started on Monday. It is now Friday. I've had to go to the bank in person twice already and call customer service every day this week more than once. I was given wrong information numerous times as well as told different things by different people. I still do not have my card. I never received an answer on why my card wasn't delivered initially. I verified my address and there wasn't anything wrong. This customer service department or more specifically whoever assist in the credit card department needs to be retrained. I ordered the simplicity credit card, and have had nothing but a headache trying to receive it. Far from simplicity. I've never had such an issue dealing with a bank. I will never open up another account with this bank again!

I had a mortgage account with Citibank. I paid it off and have some credit with Citibank. I am waiting for last 4 months to get back my money. Every time I call them, they reassure me that you will get a cheque or answers like 'you will be contacted in 24 hours'. In fact they never did. I am calling them again and again to get my own money. After keeping me on hold for long long times, every time a new person give me same answer. Citibank is highly disappointing and the worst bank. Don't ever go to them if you do not want mental stress.

Why are banks allowed to charge outrageous overdraft or insufficient charges when they don't even pay for the item that is presented? Citibank is not covering for the presented item anyway, why can they be allowed to charge $34 per day or per transaction? My auto car insurance was presented for payment. I didn't have enough in my account, therefore, Citibank charged me $68. I paid my auto insurance directly so it would not be presented to my bank again. Regardless of my efforts to avoid anymore insufficient charges, Citibank kept charging me $34 even though they didn't pay my car insurance for me. I called Citibank to inform them that I'm having financial problems for I've been looking for work and every penny counts to me at this very difficult time. I pleaded that they reverse the $204 they charged me in November alone. Citibank said NO, and to look at my agreement with their bank.

Made a purchase using their store purchase only, credit card. The purchase didn't even amount to fifty dollars. But I ended up being late making the payment, and that's when it started. They would call my house four to six times a day, and never leave a message, and if someone answered, they'd just hang up. They did this seven days a week.

But then, after I called them and asked them to stop calling my home, they knew by law they had to stop. So, what they did in retaliation for this, was to pass my number along to some kind of call database, and I immediately within a half an hour, began receiving all types of weird calls from different numbers from everywhere in the country, all day long every day. However, once I paid them in full, the calls immediately began to minimize. They haven't completely stopped, but have slowed down tremendously. I didn't pay them because of the harassment. I paid them because I owed them the money, and I always pay my bills. My advice to anyone looking to do business with this bank, is to not do it. They are extremely petty and low.

I called in trying to simply report my card lost. The lady on the other end had could not understand me and I could barely understand her. A phone call that should have taken only 3 minutes took 25. Not only was there a horrible lack of communication and understanding but the lady became very short and rude with me. I am going to be canceling my account with Citibank because this is just one of the many times that they have been difficult to work with.

So I decided to help others by sharing my experience. I have a professional account with Citibank. Their ATM never works and it's a pain to deposit checks. Their app is the only one on the market that doesn’t do remote check deposit. Today I realized a fraudulent transaction was posted on my account. Called them. The CSR was rude and obviously hates his job. Was almost treated like a criminal. Their system failed to contact me to alert me... major security breach. Their website is very convoluted and not user- friendly. I already opened accounts at other banks, ready to close Citibank. Yes ...even Bank of America is better. Overall unacceptable experience.

My mother recently passed away. She had many debts in her name, but Citi is the only one who felt the need to call 3 times a day, every single day. All they ask for is her by name, when you tell them that you aren't her they immediately hang up. I finally got a word in that she had passed, and they asked for a spouse. I told them that she was divorced, and again an immediate disconnect. Nevermind that they are speaking directly to the executor of the estate. How do they expect to collect on any debt with this level of service? Thank God I don't have any business with them.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.
  • Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.
  • Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.
  • Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.
  • Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.
  • Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.
  • Best for U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions