Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.26/5

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Citibank is a long-standing bank. It has always been trustworthy for me. The only downside is their fees, don't like being nickel and dimed just because I don't hold a lot of money in accounts; but then again, other banks are no better when it comes to this. Give to the rich - take from the poor. Bad practice.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have been a Citi customer for over 20 years. The only real problem I have is logging into their website most of the time. For some reason it usually takes 2 to 3 attempts. I have spoken to customer service and they can't see the problem. Just annoying at times.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have my accounts with Citibank for over 18 years and was pleased until moving out of the city years ago. It is a secure and reliable bank but lacks local branches. From an experience point of view, if you don't live in New York city you will be frustrated in trying to find one.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I like that Citibank has 24/7 customer service and has ATMs all over. The fees are pretty average. I remember comparing them with Chase and found their services similar. Santander once had a $20/month for a year incentive for new customers but I didn't switch because it's not as big of a bank. One of the last times I went to Citibank, I saw an account, possibly a CD for 2.5% interest but the minimum was $25,000, so that didn't tempt me. I heard were very helpful to a relative when he was traveling abroad and his card was stolen but I was not told the details. I just started using the app a few months ago and it's very helpful to see my transactions lined up. I was unclear if a pending debit was taken into account with my current balance. The phone system tells me that important information. I also have two custodial accounts for my kids and it would be helpful to see their names on them so I don't have to look up their account numbers.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I have been with both B of A and Chase. I am no longer with either of those financial institutions, that should make a statement in and of itself. Citi may have its own not so good points I am not aware of, but for my purposes they have served my wife and I well.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I gave Citibank a one star rating the reason being because I open account and I open this account completely online and due to suspected fraud they will now not even speak to me about my account. My account is blocked. They have all the money that I have in the world and I have no access to it and now they’re telling me that I have to go to a physical branch to verify my identity which I appreciate the fact that they want to do this to protect me. But the closest branch is 12 hours away and I can’t even go to the grocery store because they have all my money tied up. No I don’t know. This is 2020 but it seems to me that there should be a better way to do things in the way that these people are conducting business.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Stay away from Citibank! This bank does everything to make your life miserable if you try to take your money out of the bank. My mother and my brother co-own several Citibank joint accounts that they would like me to act as their Power of Attorney during their residence in a foreign country. The first request was submitted in October 2019, which was rejected because the bank claimed they would not accept a POA notarized by a foreign government. The second request was submitted with the POA document notarized by the US Embassy in the foreign country they reside in, which was again rejected because the bank claimed the POA form would have to be a Citibank-specific form. The third request was submitted with the Citibank-specific POA form notarized by the US Embassy, which was once again rejected because they claimed they would have to talk to the account owners on the phone.

The fourth request was submitted by the account owners on the phone, which was once again rejected because they refused to authenticate my mother’s identity because she could not remember how she translated her mother’s Chinese maiden name into English spelling 20 years ago. The fifth request was submitted by the account owners on the phone to clarify some inconsistencies in the spelling of my name on the POA form, which was still rejected because they wanted me to go to a local bank to authenticate my identity while at the same time calling out to the account owners.

The sixth request was submitted when I showed up at a local Citibank and the banker called out to the account owners and confirmed the true intent of the account owners to add me as the POA, which was still rejected for unknown reasons. So, over the course of 13 months, the account owners and I have done EVERYTHING the bank has asked us to do, and yet the request for POA STILL has not be approved as of today. We have to wonder if the bank is acting in bad faith to refuse account owners’ legal access to their own funds retained by the bank.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I would not recommend Citi bank to anybody! Opened 2 accounts because I read about the special cash back offer. Citi enrolled me in the package that requires a 50K acct balance, I was not given a choice of package that I want. Was never told about this requirement, and when I contacted the bank, a representative told me it was too late to change the package and he couldn't help me with anything. Waste of my time, this offer is a scam!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

They are not the best, imagine paying off your credit card bill every month ???? leaving 0 balance. Then you get charged with interest rates every month. That's what will happen when you get their credit card. Call them to ask for an explanation, they told me that's because after I paid the bill off, I use the card couple days later. Oh my bad???? I guess after I pay it off this month I won't be using it again???. I got to keep those interest rates at bay.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

The worst bank I've ever used. Few keypoints for those speed reading.

-If you use the wrong CVV they'll still take the money and double charge you if fix it and process the payment.
      -They don't refund any fees more than once even if it's their fault. (Double charge above caused them to bounce my check, it was their systems fault and they still didn't refund the bounce fee.)
      -The chat agents straight up lie to you to get you off the chat.

-Horrible customer service. All their customer facing departments from tech to disputes are all outsourced in India and Mexico.

The long explanation: I made a payment using the wrong cvv, fixed it and processed the payment. They took BOTH payments. They could see one with the wrong CVV on their end and they still told me it would be a week for it to remove. I had a check going through that bounced, they promised me on chat (which I got screenshotted for proof) that the check wasn't going to bounce and it did. Even after that they still refused to refund the bounce fee even if it was their fault. It's the worst bank I've ever used, even prepaid cards don't do this or take money for transactions that didn't go through.

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor