1.17/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 8, 2017

1056 Citibank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have been downloading my statements monthly to review and check against receipts. Now they have changed the download so I cannot edit these statements with comments or highlighting. This makes reconciling purchase receipts much more cumbersome. The document says (SECURED) and I can't change it. I called Citibank and they have made this change on purpose.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Called regarding charges that were fraudulent. Operator said I needed to pay them because I gave trial offer authorization, called back different operator took care of. Had fraudulent charges - took 2 weeks to get replacement card sent to wrong address, then never shipped to correct address when notified. Called back today about another incident and got operator with poor English, not the first time, finally got so frustrated just hung up. Customer service plain sucks! Going searching for other card options. Just not worth the headaches. Used to be great to deal with last few months. Customer service has been bad in my opinion.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Citibank stole three of my credit cards. My Chase card was tracked back to the Citibank office in Maryland and was being used at Citi's main office. My Capital One credit card was intercepted by Citibank in Topeka and was overdraw. That was a 20,000 limit card. I've talked to at least four other people this has happened to. They intercept the codes in the mail and reorders them back to Citi as their bank cards. I'm out over 65,000 with my last Barclays card they intercepted. Someone please help prosecute these **. They get away with it because they redeem the cards into their institute, Help please.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Similar to the msg below recently posted by Jan, Citibank closed our savings account due to inactivity. We received a letter from Citibank, so we went down to the local branch and used an ATM to deposit money. But we deposited into a LINKED checking account whereas Citi requires activity in EACH account. If you have two accounts with Citi (a checking and a savings account), Citi will close your saving account even if your linked checking account shows activity. Citibank never called us on the phone or sent us any email, they just sent a letter and then closed our account. When we called them, they told us we needed to have a transaction but never told us it had to be in THAT account as opposed to our other, linked account. We now have to figure out how to get the money back from some state agency.

DO NOT OPEN A SAVING ACCOUNT WITH CITIBANK UNLESS YOU PLAN TO DO MANY TRANSACTIONS. In my opinion, this bank is run by computers, not people. In my opinion, for the average person, there is no such thing as "personal banking" with Citibank. In my opinion, Citibank obviously does not want children's savings accounts or personal long-term savings accounts -- no matter what their marketing claims.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I had a Citi card with a decent limit up until about 5 minutes ago when I closed the account because their customer service is terrible. I have had the card for years and have paid off the account in full. My disappointment stems from the foreign customer service rep and the system in which they deal with fees. I had a domain renewal charged to the card which had a $0 balance at the time and I did not realize that card was on file so I was late to make a payment. $105 in fees later, I respectfully requested that one of the $35 fees be credited and I would pay the rest in full.

My account was current and never late before this so I expected at least a one-time courtesy. They denied the request and I immediately paid the balance and closed the account. I guess they would rather take my $105 than make $1000s in interest when I could have used the card again in the near future for some home improvements. I also have a Home Depot card through Citi that I'm about to pay off and close because of this experience so there's another few $1000 that they are not going to get from me. Hope you enjoy the $105. Guess my 750 credit score and perfect record until now aren't enough to try to keep a customer over a measly $35.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

New customer to Citi. Deposited my paycheck last Thursday, still no available funds. They gave me $10 available out of my check. I understand I have a new account, therefore they hold the funds longer. But come on!!! A week and still cannot use my funds from my paycheck is very frustrating. Can't pay my bills, can't eat, cannot afford to do anything. What really grinds my gears is they told me it would be available today AT THE VERY LATEST, guess what, it's not. I called and all they offered me was an apology For receiving Incorrect information. Screw Citi. I'm closing my Account and going back to US.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Last night 10/23 I received an email from Citi entitled Notice of Account Closure and for me to go online and look at my account for a notice. I did this and nothing new was on there. So I called Citi customer service. I was told that since I had not used my account in 24 months that it would be closed if I didn't use it by 10/28. On 10/24 I decided to use my card but decided that I better look at my account online again for any messages. There was a message on there this time that my account was closed. So I called customer service again and talked to a manager. The manager said that the account was closed but that they would be glad to take information from me and review it to see if I qualified for a new account. This really made me mad. But I reluctantly gave her my full name and SS#.

Then I asked her if they would be running a credit check again. She said yes. I said well I have locked all my credit agency accounts due to the Equifax mess and I would have to unlock them. Then I decided the hell with it. I told her that I had had this account since 1985-32 years and that they closed my account with no notice. They made tons of money off me years ago but now that I don't need to charge to the card much, they dumped me with no notice. I told her I would look elsewhere for a credit card and that they needed to relook at their policies on how they treat their customers, especially long time customers. I will NEVER do business with them again and I highly recommend that no one else does either.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My overall experience from Citibank has been unpleasant can I get so frustrating when you want to solve a problem with customer service you have to speak to a foreign representative because they're too cheap to hire people in the United States to handle their affairs. Heaven help you if you don't have a checking account because no representative in the banks will talk to you because they claim they can't access your information. My recommendation bank somewhere else.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Citibank played a very big part in ruining my credit. I was a customer with them for a very long time and in very good standing. Last year I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. As a result of having this tumor, I unfortunately got behind in a couple of payments. I had been making these payments for years without any problem because my credit was extremely important to me. After my surgery, I immediately got back on track. Citibank didn't care about my circumstances or the fact that I had no control over falling behind (for a brief time) or that I had been with them in good standing for so long. A company that does not care about their customers is not a company worthy of doing business with.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

On 10/1/17 I made TWO separate payments to Citi via their online app. I only received one receipt reflecting one payment but my bank withdrew the TWO payments so I was fine with it. BIG MISTAKE. There was an enormous amount of confusion to follow and it took me calling 6 times over the course of 8 days before someone at Citi actually took the time to investigate. Her name was Charlie and she was wonderful. I'll get to that in a minute. I called Citi on 10/4/17 when I noticed that though my bank had sent two payments on 10/1, Citi only reflected one payment. In total this call took 45 minutes to review and explain. I had to verify my information 3 separate times. I was told all I needed to do was send over the two separate Trace numbers which I did within minutes. I was told my account would be credited pending investigation and that this issue would be resolved by Friday (10/6).

On 10/6/17 nothing had changed on my account, no credit was applied, no information had been provided to me and I needed to make another payment in order to keep my balance down. I called again, this conversation took another 45 minutes to review, re-explain and verify my information 2 times (again). I was told my account would be credited and this would be resolved no later than the following Tuesday (10/10). I called on 10/9 to see if there was any update or if they needed any additional information. Another 45 minutes on the phone and the customer support person sent me to the fraud department because apparently he didn't want to research the situation. Once I was transferred back to customer service, no update was provided but I was asked to send over my bank statement proving the two separate payments which I did within minutes.

On 10/10 (the most recent resolution date promise) giving the benefit of the doubt, I waited until late in the afternoon to call - at this point, when I called I was in tears. I just wanted to know what was happening and why though I'd sent everything in, no one would tell me where the missing $1,000 was or what was being done to find it. Every time I call it's 45 minutes on the phone a lot of that time is spent on repeating the same information again (why aren't there any notations in the system?). No update, no information no contact from Citi (I had to initiate all contact) from 10/11-10/13). I called again on 10/13 and spoke with a supervisor named Patrick. Patrick was terrible. He couldn't care less about my problem. I'm not one who doesn't have patience but enough was enough. Patrick was a complete jerk is the bottom line.

As a result, I asked to speak with a different manager. That is when Charlie stepped in like an angel from heaven. Charlie looked over my account and called my bank with me on the line so we could sort through the issue. Once Charlie got a hold of this, the resolution was reached within 15 minutes (though it took 1 hour, 20 minutes before I was connected with Charlie). Charlie cared, she grabbed the bull by the horns and she resolved my issue just like that! If it weren't for the Costco Rewards and most of all Charlie I would cancel this card in a heartbeat. I will not recommend this card to friends and family because Citi ONE person at Citi cared to deal with an issue. Out of the 6-7 people I spoke to.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I prefer to do all my banking online. I use Citibank's inter-client transfer, and I both send and receive international wire transfers several times each month. I have found that with almost 100% accuracy, the online banking site will stop working for me after I've done a few things; it's *extremely* rare for me to be able to do more than 15 minutes of tasks paying bills and such without it ceasing operation. At that point, the only solution is to restart my browser. I typically have lots of Windows open so this is incredibly disruptive; Citibank has made no effort to fix, and simply advises me to restart the browser.

I've had problems with the iOS app too, but not as many. But since there are lots of things I can't do from the iOS app (as opposed to the desktop site), like initiating their interclient transfers or doing bill pay, it's not much help. In San Marcos, their in-bank personnel are friendly and helpful. But I've often run into situations where they cannot diagnose issues; I had a lot of problems accepting an insurance payment check at one point, and it took a lot of red tape and back and forth with the insurer and mortgage company before they would accept the check.

I had another issue recently where I took too long to activate a new card they issued (they changed my account status from Gold to Priority because they made Gold super exclusive -- $200k on deposit -- even though I pay about $30 / month for the Gold -- now Priority account). Reissuing a card didn't work, and nobody could figure it out for a while -- turns out that there was an "undocumented" (or at least unknown to any branch personnel including managers) policy of deactivating even old cards if the new card was not activated. I spent many hours going back and forth trying several cards they issued me, none of which worked until we changed my account number. This was a huge hassle since a lot of places (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) had that card number and had to be updated. I'm now looking for a new bank. I've had horrible experiences with BofA and Wells Fargo, so maybe it's time to switch to a local credit union.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I have been banking with Citi for 16 years and never had issues until the last 6 weeks. They started holding deposited checks for up to a week when before the funds were immediately available or at least the next day. They contracted with Zelle to send and receive money. My renters never had an issue until Zelle, wherein now payments are cancelled with no notification to the payer or payee. I had a contractor at Home Depot and they called for my card information. It was declined as possible fraud. I responded to the text that it was not fraud. It said my account was available again. Called and tried again, declined. Called the automated system and there was still a fraud hold.

Cleared it verbally and they said my card was clear and to try again. Declined twice more. I call and I’m told there is a block and in order to verify me to go any further they need to call me on a landline or send a message to my online account. I don't have a landline. Their server goes down as I try to log in online. Finally get to my account and there's no message from them. They say wait 30 minutes. I wait. 30 minutes later still no secured message. Contractor I was paying by the hour has left without the needed materials and after 90 minutes of wasted time. As soon as this project is done I'm pulling all my funds and switching banks.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had referred two of my friends for the credit card, there was no response from Citibank team, after sending reminder mail from my end, (CITIBANK) they had responded and verified my friends' documents. After that they told they will issue the card within 7 working days. Still they had not issued. Hence I feel this program is just for name's sake.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have a credit card with Citibank. This month, they have made innumerable mistakes, causing untold hardships. First they locked my cards for no reason. I had to call to unlock it. Their customer service was totally ignorant with foreign reps. Also, the supervisor was very rude. Then I could not get online. Then I was told to re-register. Why? This is the worst credit card in the world. Stay away.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I applied for the Costco Visa card. I was told it was too soon by just a couple of weeks before my two year mark after BK discharge. The reconline which here they say doesn't exist but their phone # is: 800-695-5171, said to wait a little bit and call back. So I did and got told the same thing, "Wait just a bit more." So I became frustrated and wrote to the executive office email. What a joke. They speak like robots and don't listen, she just kept repeating herself over and over as if she had no clue what I was talking about. Citibank doesn't help people, they hurt people. My husband passed away and my world went down really quick. I worked very hard to get to where I am now and I spend hundreds at Costco every weekend.

Well Citibank is shameful and Costco lost me if this is who they picked to do their credit card. Citibank has never listened to me and from what I read they are like this to thousands of people. You know sometimes bad things happen to good people. You will see I will get back a stupid answer that is not even based on what my problem with them is. They can't read or listen. So sad Citibank, you need to look in a mirror.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

On Friday morning, 9/8, I woke to see over $1,000.00 had been transferred out of my account using Zelle, a product created by a company called Early Warning Systems that is forced on everyone with an online account. I had not set up a user profile, yet, I received a confirmation via email at 1:51 AM that one had been successfully created. By 1:53 AM, $1030.00 had been fraudulently transferred out of my account. Numerous phone calls ensued thereafter, to date, approximately 18. It is now 9/14, Citi has still not replaced the funds. My rent check has now been returned after multiple phone calls to force it through now causing a problem with my landlord.

I have attempted contact with Early Warning, they claim that NONE of this could possibly be their problem as they claim to have no control over the verification process Citi uses in conjunction with their product to have made this fraud possible. The entire process is unacceptable. I am also a former employee trained in consumer banking. Customers I used to handle would be so irate, I would routinely have wine after work. Now, after five years as a customer, I'm that irate customer. After this incident, my credit union and I are about to get a lot closer!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

There are two issues related to this Citi product: Although with this account, Citi supposedly waives the 3% fee for withdrawing money from a foreign non-Citi ATM, they, in fact, do not. In simultaneous tests with Citi versus NY Mellon, Citi keeps the 3% and NY Mellon refunds it within hours. The exchange rate normally charged in making purchases or ATM withdrawals in foreign currencies is the Interbank rate +3%. Citi charges between 22% and 25%. They have claimed that this is because of the ATM owner or the vendor. However, simultaneous tests with Citi vs. NY Mellon showed NY Mellon only charged 3%. Citi will not disclose to me their foreign exchange policy and the Terms and Conditions utterly obfuscate the policy. If you spend a lot of time overseas, as I do, this kind of gouging behavior seems nothing short of criminal. The fact they hide the particulars is especially bad. This policy makes them 10's of millions annually, I am sure.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

In November 2016 I filed a fraud claim against a company in California. The person who took my complaint Lia, gave me Case number **. She incorrectly charged the wrong company, Ali-express with fraud. A few days later when I found this out, I called Citibank and talked to Darnene who I reported this error to and again named the company for which the fraud complaint was intended. Darnene assigned me case number **. I assumed at this point that now Ali-express would be paid since they were not the company I filed the charge against. I received a letter from Citibank asking if I wanted to drop charges against Ali-express in March, 2017.

I spoke to supervisor Kriscoph who said to ignore the letter since he could see I had informed Citibank of the error in November, 2016. I then started having a problem with Ali-express with an inability to use my debit card. I assumed the problem was that Citibank had not informed Ali-express that there was no fraud from Ali-express on the card, not that Ali-express had not been paid. I reported this problem to supervisor Johnny ** on 8/03/17. He said it should be cleared up in one week. I made contact with customer service that I was concerned that Johnny did not give me a reference number and that he would not send me an email confirming what he would do.

Ali-express should have been paid in November, 2016 when I reported the mistake that Lia, a Citibank employee. There was a lack of correction of the problem by Darnene, another Citibank employee. I made this complaint to customer service and was emailed that it is my fault not Citibank's fault. This strikes me as a lack of integrity from Citibank and unethical action. If the company had followed through with my problem and corrected its error in November, I would not be dealing with this 9 months later. I have been told it might take 3 more months to correct the problem with Ali-express. It is Citibank's fault my inability to buy from Ali-express for months into the future and months past.

Contacting the executive response unit was another exercise in futility. The response I received stated: "Mr. **, please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you described surrounding the use of your debit card with Ali-Express. Our goal is to ensure that all of our clients are provided with the highest level of service and we regret that you found cause for dissatisfaction under any circumstance."

Then ** | Client Liaison | Citibank Executive Response Unit Citibank Client Services | 100 Citibank Dr., San Antonio, TX 78245 | (: 1-866-336-7285| stated that the case was closed, despite the problem with Ali-express not resolved and possibly not going to be resolved for months to come. I was not even provided a reference number for resolving Citibank's mistakes. Now ** of CitiBank refuses to respond to my emails. If Citibank reads this, do not send me a letter or call. I am out of the country. Contact me by email.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Who would do this and not CALL their customer? This is poor customer service. I cleared my account and had an 85.00 balance in my checking. I went out to eat at a restaurant and found my card was blocked for a check that was PAID for. No one called and the bank will be closed on Monday. I also have a Bank of America account and have never EXPERIENCED service like this. I am changing my Direct Deposit account. Thanks Citibank.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Here is everything that happened. I had a Citi Forward card getting 5 points, but that got changed. I signed up for a Premier card in 4/16, expecting bonus points. I called in May to confirm I will get my points, they told me no, and that they have the right to deny the points. I cancelled the card because I didn't want to pay the fee. I left the issue alone, but recently saw the new offer for Citi Prestige. I signed up for the Citi Prestige. I called in to confirm they will give the points, they said no again. I pushed the issue, and they said that because I closed an account in the last 24 months, I don't qualify. I said I didn't get any bonus points on the Premier card and explained the issue. They told nothing they could do.

I researched online, and confirmed the terms. I decided to cancel the Prestige card, and called back. I canceled the card, and while on the phone the lady informed me that they can check back to what happened with the Premier card, I said that would be great and probably makes sense not to close the account. I got an email the following day that the account had closed. I got a call back today, they had reviewed the recording, back in May, and confirmed I was misinformed, but now that the account is closed, I couldn't get any points.

I asked if the points offer for the Premier could be applied since I was misinformed, and I’m happy to spend money on the card. The person wasn't able to help me but transferred me to a supervisor. The supervisor informed me that they should not have told me what had happened in the past, that he would look into it and call me back. He called me back and explained that the offer I signed up for didn't have an annual fee, and in turn, no bonus point offer.

By this point I am done, I have a major issue with the following: Phone support told me that I should have gotten the points, and I didn't get them. Phone support told me I don't get points because they can decide who qualifies or not. Phone staff told me I didn't apply for the correct offer to get the points. I also don't think that open or close an account should void people from 24 months of opening an account. It should be based on what points they got. I requested a fresh start, new card, new offer, with none of this history through their Citi Facebook, was told nothing they could do.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Have automatic withdrawal from my checking to pay Citibank equity line monthly. Recently requested due to new employer to stop auto withdrawal as employer mailing paychecks. They placed a note in my record, but failed to place the actual stop. Consideration is they felt I probably had enough money and they wanted it whether it was in my plans or not. They have offered to pay the overdraft fees they caused, but my reputation is tarnished for not being astute enough to know that this would occur as far as the bank and creditors are concerned.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I got a letter from Citibank regarding my Home Depot credit account. It had my credit card information on the letter. However, it was addressed to me at my son's address. I have never lived at my son's address. The letter was about me being enrolled in a Balance Protector program that I may not have consented to. What kind of place is this? They send my credit card information to my son's address. Who else did they send it to? They enroll me and supposedly charged me for a program that I didn't authorize. Someone needs to investigate them. No wonder there's all kinds of banking fraud happening nowadays. I called and no one there knew anything about what I was telling them and had no idea how my address could have gotten screwed up with my son's address. They even said I didn't even have an account with them -- even though I have a credit card in my hand with the same number as the letter. This is just wrong.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I've been with Citi, for almost 3 decades, I've recently experienced losing my job after 35 years. I asked my local manager Bernice to look into reducing my loan for six months, from 338 to 170 or so. She said no. Even after I turned in all my bills which add up to almost 3500 a month just to survive. Instead my note was moved to some RUDE person named ** (at marbach & 410). ** said I wouldn't answer, although I kept leaving messages, I made a payment at another Citi, on both accounts Mr ** said I never did. I faxed him the copies, he said OH (no he understands). So at last conversation. Mr ** said "ok now I see," and I explained. I'll be there august 29 or 30, he said ok. Now the 22 of august my wife broke her arm. Citi ** has called almost 10 times. Geez wtf is wrong with this guy??

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I will say one thing. I spent over $4,107 to pay off that credit card that was only a $1,500 credit limit. When I was 18 I opened up a credit card, could not afford it, was jobless. Now that I had a job I paid off the credit card and two sums totaling up to 4,000 $100. Now I just get something in the mail after paying everything off saying that Citibank which is also known with Sears is trying to charge me again $4,100. This is BS. I think I may actually take you guys to court.

How dare you send me a letter. After 2 months of me paying you off you put another collections with the same amount on me. Get some people that know how to do their jobs and train people so that way you will not have to worry about this again. I'm talking to you Sears and Citibank. Very P.O. right now. Worse BS company I have ever gotten a credit card from. Warning beware going to my bank tomorrow. Thank God they have all the withdrawals training. Take me to collections, put it on my credit and I guarantee you I will sue you. I paid this debt. This debt is paid in full. You need to look up your past payments.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Citibank credit card is one of the most cheated. They will tell something & do something else. They have offered me credit card on my birthday & convinced a lot to me by such good offers, but I haven't got 50% offers. Offers gave by them was: Credit Card is totally free. Once you will get credit card, till two months, "No interest" will be Introduced. Above two statement was false, I thought for two months it’s free, so I can use it. When I started using credit card, just for the 1st month, no interest came to me while in second month, they started putting interest. When I spoke with Customer Care Staff, no one responded properly. Staff will not sort-out the problem, they will start explaining their policies.

Current Problem: 07 August, 2017 - Last day of minimum due which I paid more than the minimum due amount. On 16, August, 2017 I cleared all the dues in the credit card. The total outstanding amount was "0" but still they have added interest like 18% GST tax + 40% Annual Tax = 731.62. When I called to customer care, again she started explaining their policies & she said "you have to pay this amount as it is out of bill cycle." Without using credit card, why they have added this much tax on 0 amount. This is such a **. I told the customer care lady, please transfer the call to your Senior. She started asking: "What you will talk? Why do you want to talk?"

At the end, she said, "they all are busy in the other calls. I'll right back to you." But still I didn’t get any calls in 3 hours as I was waiting for it. I told her to close my card even though I have 3904 Redeem Points, convert it into cash & balance the amount 731.62 & close the card, she told "it's your loss only, the closure team will call you," still no calls came for that also. Staff is so Lazy, they will not resolve the customer's problem.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I was very upset when Costco switched from AMEX to Citibank. I had an AMEX card for over 25 years and always found them to be very consumer friendly with an excellent website and great benefits like travel, etc. Right away the Citibank card was difficult to read. They seemed to hide information on purpose and I decided I would only use it at Costco because I am forced to use it there. Unfortunately last month I used it for a little more. My balance was $2550 and change. I made a payment of $2500. $50.00 shy of the total balance.

Then I notice I was charged interest (nearly 15% at that) on almost the entire balance, about $2300. When I called to ask why I was told that if you don't pay the balance in full, even by one dollar, you are charged interest on the full balance - NOT JUST THE UNPAID BALANCE. I would think this would be illegal but I guess our politicians being friends with the banks and such make sure it is not illegal. So now for sure I will only use this card for the food and gas I buy at Costco. And I will make sure I NEVER take out a Citibank card of any type. There are at least a few better banks out there. So this is my story and cardholders BEWARE!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

We have been with Citibank over 35 years. They have never let us down in any way. We have savings, checking and two credit cards with them. Their customer service is top notch.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

This bank does not help at all to their clients, with the programs available, to refinance the house. They just said, "Sorry you don't qualify, that program is not for you," even if the client has the tools that said he does qualify. They keep us from one department to another and nobody wants to help. I had experienced this trying to get help with the HARP program. This is one of the worst bank I ever had done business. Also their personnel doesn't return your call when we leave message. And we have to keep calling for hours and days just to hear the same answer and no options at all. I have months trying to get help with them and nobody wants to work with us. It looks like they practiced that to have the client lose their properties.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Everyone of the bank's officers for the twenty plus years I have been a customer, all without exception have provided guidance and effective use of their services for my needs.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

In March 2017 I took advantage of a CITI promotion incentive that required an account to be opened, and the funds to be kept for 90 days. After 90 days, CITI would make a 1% deposit to the account. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but turned out to be a nightmare when trying to make a withdrawal. Had visibility of the deposit for approximately 3 days after opening account and then had no visibility or access. Follow up inquiry response "Would not have visibility until debit card issued". PIN info for my wife arrived in mail which had been mailed 3/07. Called CITI and was informed that card had been mailed, but I had not received. Another card and PIN sent on 3/25 via overnight. Received box of checks with all documents located on bottom of box underneath checks. Did not plan to write any checks so just put box aside. My error!

Thirty days after CITI incentive deposit made, had a need to write check. Check refused because I had not activated the account (Instructions to do so were in bottom of the checkbook box, beneath checks.) Did not find out there was a problem until I noticed on my online statement at my other bank. I was assessed a penalty fee for the refused check. Checked the instructions and found that I needed to activate the account through the automatic activation. Called and went through the steps and got the little robot transferred me to customer service. Turned out that transfer is to their "New Accounts" department, who only maintain

normal business hours M-F. Finally got through to Customer Service who informed me they couldn't help as I had to go through the "New Accounts" department.

Called "New Accounts" on Monday and informed that no signatures were on file. Retrieved signature form from the checkbook box. Only one spot for signature, but both my wife and I signed and faxed to CITI in TX. Week later account still not activated. Called Customer Service again and was informed that activation had not taken place because there was only one signature on the form. I told them that wasn't true, but would fax again. Took the signature form (no new forms are available for download and have to be mailed by CITI) and blocked off my wife's signature and faxed. Modified the form so that only my wife's name and signature appeared on the form and faxed. Waited a couple of days, still no activation. Called CITI again! Rep researched and said "OOPS", "Wrong signature form was provided as form needed TWO signature blocks". They would mail me the correct form. The two I had faxed were not acceptable.

Finally, just gave up and paid the $17.50 wire transfer fee and transferred my funds to another bank and closed the CITI account. Each attempt to call CITI required being on hold for 15-20 minutes before I could speak to a rep. Tried the chat line which was of little help. Very frustrating!!! I definitely do not recommend using Citibank.

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg