1.17/5
  • 1 star
Based on 120 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Citibank

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

1075 Citibank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I placed a formal complaint against employees on a recorded line on 04/2017 and I was told they will investigate and let me know the results, after a few months I called and I was told that they didn't made any decision yet then I start to call on a monthly basis but I received same answer! On October 2017 I start to ask a copy of the script. I was told we will make a request. NEVER received. I called end of October then November & December. The answer was the same. They will make a request and they didn't make any decision yet and whoever answer the phone says they can't contact that dept. only email request and I asked if I could speak directly with them. They said NO after I was mistreated by Citi employees.

Now they are taking me for a ride maybe because English is not my main language and I can't express myself clear. Are any sources that can help me to get my script so I can start a case against Citi? Or the Bank too big to contact by a simple person!!! Citigold accounts have rules and regulations equal to everyone but employees use their own judgment and treat customer the way they want and this is illegal and complaints are useless. Citibank is too big! I have dates and time and name of people I spoke to.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have been a Costco customer for 20 years and I really dislike the Citibank Credit Card they transferred their members into. I also feel that after they did that they stepped out of the picture and want you to complain to Citibank. Not them. I handle all the bills in our home. My husband wants it that way, so he has made me an authorized user on everything. When Costco had us with American Express all I had to do was pick up my home phone that was registered with them and the recorded message would greet me by my first name and ask what they could help me with, when I said I wanted to make a payment and I was transferred to a live agent to do so.

When they put us with Citibank and called in to make a payment I was thoroughly interrogated on the phone 10 minutes and told that their system would never remember my information because I am not the primary on the account, the fact that I am authorized by my husband means nothing to them. I feel that I am being looked down on because I am only the wife of the member. I pay our bill in full every month and it irritates me that they take so long to clear your pending charges. Unlike any other credit card I have had, you cannot pay your pending charges when you pay your bill. I feel that they do this because they don’t like the fact that I am not paying them any interest. They want their cardholders to pay interest.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I just returned to live back to the US I was a client of Citi year 1999 to year 2003, never had a great experience just because it is popular. I recently came back and went there to open an account one for me one for a new corporation. My new company designs in the USA and manufacture in Asia. I deposited a personal check to open the business account for 5000 Us dollars. The purpose of that was doing a wire transfer of 3700 US dollars to China and leave some rest in the account. I was indicated that I can perfectly do it over the internet. So I did it. Transaction was not approved but also went to the fraudulent department. So next day I went to the branch with my id and ask them if they can do it. They said it is the same. They need to verify things so is better I go home do it there and keep waiting on a call. I did it so. Transaction again was rejected so I called to the fraudulent department.

They begin saying that they will send me an SMS and after they said their system is not allowing so they start doing me like 10 questions and one of them I didn't pass. So they said. Sorry I have to cancel this wire to China. Also they said that the check deposited to my account from my personal account will be returned to my bank and probably they will also call me to close my account. Who knows. They treated me as a delinquent, they made me lost and damage with my supplier in China for default in payment date terms.

In my country of born they left because was considered the worst more lazy bank and lack of system and customer service. In many countries worldwide is accused of stealing people as in India. They are the devil. They survive just because of the US government helped because they almost went to bankruptcy. Do not trust in Citibank. Everyone here said how you did not open your business account in Bank of America or Wells Fargo. They really care about their customers and reputation. So DO NOT GET INVOLVED in Citibank. It's only big and old but your experience will be disgusting.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Gave Citibank my correct banking information and they claimed the bank kept rejecting the payment. The money was in the account. The bank says they have no reason to reject the payment when the money was there and that they were not the ones that would gain. Citibank charged return fees and other fees even though the account number, address is correct, and the funds is there. Talked with both Citibank and my bank. I honestly tried to make the payments over the phone with both companies. Citibank also refused to drop the return fees. My payment was timely. This happened two months in a row. Illegal fees are being added to my account. Scam. Citibank is the only creditor that has this problem.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I have been a member of Citibank for the 9 past years but few weeks ago they closed all of my credit cards accounts, and a checking account for no specific reason. Only thing I got from them is the letter, after my account already were closed, that stated closure of my account without specifying a reason. I never miss a single payment and always kept my balance low on all credits cards. And now my credit score is ruined by the CITIBANK (credit score was 790 and now 640), and the most upsetting thing they don't care, at least they should tell why they are closing accounts.

My guess is that I was a bad business for them because I paid most or all balance before they could charge me with interest. Also, I had 95k ThankYou Point and now CitiBank saying that all of my point are lost because accounts are closed. So, CitiBank closed my account without notifying me so that I couldn't redeem my ThankYou Point! This is ridiculous what CitiBank is allowed to do!!! I'm very upset with CITIBANK!!! And I don't know what to do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My first review of Citi Card CService for 7 yrs.They are good to you as long as you don't use/ask for their so called "beneficial" services, like personal consumer protection, but just pay your bills. I filed a claim to reverse the payment of $96 to AirBnB, that supported a dishonest host, that ran a roach-fested apt, when I canceled my reservation within an HOUR after booking. Citi Card (I have two CC accounts w/ them), after I submitted email with cancellation details, dragged for 2 months w/ their response, after emailed me that they won't reverse the payment from the merchant because I "agreed" with their cancellation policy. Sure, if I didn't, I would not be able to book to begin with. I didn't have time to read horrible reviews about that host property, which AirBnB chose to ignore for months.

So instead of protecting my interests, a mislead client, who though formally did "agreed" with merchant's policy but the policy was a "trap" and deceiving, Citi chose the least resistance/hassle way for them and totally dumped me, their loyal customer of 7 yrs, who NEVER delayed a payment and always paid more than their monthly minimum, who FIRST time ever appealed to their implication of the "consumer protection". Well, I'm not their "loyal" anymore. As soon as I pay off both cards, I'm closing them, though it would not hurt for my credit score just to have them paid off and available. But for the sake of principle, I will close/shut them down and won't ever have any dealing with them.

When I responded to their "verdict" that I was highly disappointed and appalled with their ZERO effort to stand for me, as their customer in good standing, and that I will let everyone I talk to, know my opinion of Citi, including Google review, their response was "wait, till we review your case again". That was already 2 months after my claim was filed. Really? So, my "threat" to expose their lousy service publicly all of sudden changed their zeal level to investigate my case? I didn't held my breath and was right.

After waiting another two weeks or so, I got the same "verdict" from them as previous - that they won't reverse my payment to AirBnB. So much of caring of the "public opinion" on their behalf. I waited another almost a month, giving them totally undeserved grace, and tonight I m publishing this review. They are NOT better a bit as any other CC company, but if you want/expect anything above regular CC use, like your "consumer" rights protection, don't waste your time for applying for Citi Card. Search for a better caring Customer Service and Protection Policy. I would say - go for Discover. That is the only out of all my CCards, that NEVER disappointed me, neither their CService - THE BEST, all US based, staffed with adequate reps speaking "human" English, not its distorted "immigrant" version, trained to SOLVE your problem, not to kick your call around the circle by endless transfers and holding on line...

It's just a matter of time, Citi, when your business goes to the tubes if you continue treat your customers - your golden egg producing flocks - like dirt. I wish everyone of those indifferent, rude, dismissing reps I dealt with, personally go through the same situation when their CC provider doesn't stand for them but leaves them with their financial loss. That may teach them a bit of normal human compassion, not faking "customer protection".

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

OMG. I HATE, HATE, HATE Citibank!!! Their fees are ridiculous, and their customer support - well, what a joke. I've been a customer for 2 decades and they still charge me for every little thing. For reasons I won't mention, I can't close my darn account with this horrible bank for now and need to put up with their crap. I would never EVER open an account with these crooks ever again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Citibank is one of the most unethical companies I have ever dealt with. Entered into a settlement account and paid my balance in full (as I was told by 2 representatives). Then they call back to tell me I owe more. Do not do business with this bank... Use a credit union.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I opened an online account about 3 weeks ago and I am still trying to get online access. I created an online access with my original info and few days later wasn't working saying they have a problem and try later. I tried for days and the same issue. I decided to call and they said I had to create a new account with the new ATM number. I told her I didn't have it with me and she said that is the only way to create my new account. I got my ATM card and decided to start the online process... the Pin was wrong and I called again. After 25 minutes the lady told me I didn't have the pin and I need to go to a branch. I explained to her that I opened a online account because I didn't want to go to an any branch. She said that was the only way. I said if I go to the branch I will cancel the account... that was fine with her.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

After 3 and a half year with Citibank, they sent me a letter and closed my account. When I asked for the reason, it was a very stupid silly reason. I will never use Citibank in my life. I use big banks and never had any issue. I will never recommend Citibank to anyone. If you want to wake up in the morning and find out the bank sent you a letter saying they will close your account, then choose Citibank.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Someone stole my identity, called the Citibank call center, used my information and transferred all of my money out of my checking account, into a linked Preferred Money Market Account. Then, opened by phone, a joint savings account with me. Moved the money from the Preferred Money Market into the newly established savings account. That person then went into a branch and withdrew the money. I did not receive any alerts, no one from the bank checked with me if this person should open a joint savings account with me and there was no alert when the money went missing.

It took me at least two weeks to continuously explain to people at Citibank what happened. They kept telling me the money was authorized to move and I had to keep explaining to them that I do not know the person who opened the joint account with me. I filed a police report. I closed the account and opened a new one. I notified all of the credit bureaus and the FTC. After two weeks of fighting, they put the money back into my house. One month later, I wake up to find that the money has been moved out of my account again. I called Citibank and have only been told at this point that this is a reversal of the money that was put back in. They did not notify me of this. The alerts I have set on my account did not fire to let me know more than $500 was be withdrawn from my account. I identified this on a Saturday and they tell me no one can help me until Monday at 9am because I need to speak to the Identity Theft Unit.

In summary, Citibank allowed someone to withdraw money from my account, which was not authorized by me. I fought for two weeks to get that money back. One month later they reverse their decision by taking the money back. It is my money. The customer service at Citibank is the worst. I am client for 20 years. They have not been helpful. They did not protect me the first time and I trusted them after this happened that I would be protected. I did not expect to be re-victimized, but this time by Citibank. They need to be investigated for terrible business practices that expose their clients to fraud.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I called "Existing Customer" phone number assistance and someone with a foreign accent answered. It was like explaining into thin air. He did not listen and just rattled on like a recording. I checked if he was a recording by asking a question so I found out he was a real person. I tried to explain my problem but he wasn't listening. I emphatically said "LISTEN TO ME" in order to get to him, and he hung up. I have had many occasions to call Citibank support because their website never worked for me. I am not exaggerating that I have been calling each time I try to log on. I do all my businesses online and access many websites and only the Citibank websites give me trouble. The irony of this is that I want to pay my bill. So what I will do is stop paying and just wait for them to take notice and contact me directly. I am glad that Hilton Honors is now being taken over by Amex. Perhaps it will be better then.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Home Depot uses Citibank to issue $100 Visa credit card for damaged freezer delivered in Oct 14 2017. Due to damage on the appliance, Home Depot agreed to issue a $100.00 Visa Gift Card through Citibank. Yet Citibank has not processed two times and want to take another 30 days to do so. It has now been over 8 weeks, and Citibank cannot tell is if it will be issued in 30 days or not. I give Citibank on a scale of 1-10 a Minus 0 ZERO!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I had 6 charges of fraud on my card recently. I called and spoke with Agent #1 on Sunday. She assured me they would file this with their fraud dept and have a new card to me by Tuesday, via FedEx. On Monday I spoke to Agent #2 about the additional charges saying I spoke to the company who submitted the charges myself and to make sure they were investigated. It's now Thursday and no card. I call and speak to Agent #3 who said it will be 7-10 days before card goes out. Asking to speak to a manager, the manager said it would be mid of next week before card will show up even though it is still in the warehouse and has not even been mailed yet!! I also have no level of comfort that the fraudulent charges will be removed. Their customer service team needs additional training.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Don't bother with this bank. As a new US resident, they gave me hard time opening an account and a secure card. Their staff is hardly professional. I should've checked the reviews online before going with Citi. My friends went through similar journey with other banks and did have any of the issues that faced with Citi. Don't bother with them. Their internet banking looks like something from the 90s.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

They have such a miserable system that I stopped using my credit card with them for some years. I kept it as a backup, primarily because I have a lot of points. I recently needed to use it again, but couldn't find it, so called the customer service. Punched in my ss# 4 times, answered a string of security questions. But they couldn't verify my ID because I have a new phone number now that is different from the one they have in file years ago! Can't replace the card, and can't close the account until they "investigate" the account, which has no definite time frame. Stay away from this bank. From online account access to ID verification, they are the most incompetent bank that I ever dealt with.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Their phone centers are staffed by failures who are unhappy with the totality of their lives and express it through the tone of their voice when talking to you about how to open a checking account. Due to an unsatisfactory chain of phone transfers that failed to resolve a mistake they had made regarding my checking account, I have stopped paying my Citi credit card bill entirely as a punitive measure. When they call weekly to remind me to pay it, I will now tell them that when they go back and listen to the recording transcripts of those phone calls, track down the problem, and make it right, then I will consider starting to pay the credit card bill again. Otherwise, they must not want their money too badly.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I opened a Costco Citibank card for the rewards and extended warranty, the credit limit they gave me was extremely limiting compared to other limits ($10k vs $27k for Discover, $24k BofA, $20k Chase, even another Citicard is $18k.) They said don't worry, I can get an increase when my card arrives, however they now want to pull my credit report (hard pull) a second time in 7 days for the credit line increase. I am going to not accept the terms of service so the account disappears from my credit report, and cancel my Costco membership (Costco did nothing wrong) Citi is horrible to deal with, credit supervisor even said the "credit system is messed up"... And this was the credit supervisor. I will probable end up canceling my CitiAA card because of this. RUN away from Citi

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We've been with Citibank for over 17 years and they sold our mortgage to Mr. Cooper. Why do banks do this?! I don't know this company, but from what I've read here, I expect problems immediately. I've always done my own escrow account, never one late payment, paid off four mortgages. Seriously this pisses us off!!! Now I have to 'trust' that my balance going forward is correct, I have to 'trust' that Citibank forwards my payments correctly to Mr. Cooper, I have to 'trust' that Mr. Cooper isn't going to demand an escrow account, I have to 'trust' that all my end of year information is correct and handled in a timely fashion. Next mortgage will never be with Citibank and from what I can tell, not staying with Mr. Cooper for long. I'm opting for a local Credit Union so the money goes there and stays there and supports my local community. You wonder why people hate banks and mortgage lenders? This is why, quit buying and selling mortgages you greedy B's!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have been downloading my statements monthly to review and check against receipts. Now they have changed the download so I cannot edit these statements with comments or highlighting. This makes reconciling purchase receipts much more cumbersome. The document says (SECURED) and I can't change it. I called Citibank and they have made this change on purpose.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Called regarding charges that were fraudulent. Operator said I needed to pay them because I gave trial offer authorization, called back different operator took care of. Had fraudulent charges - took 2 weeks to get replacement card sent to wrong address, then never shipped to correct address when notified. Called back today about another incident and got operator with poor English, not the first time, finally got so frustrated just hung up. Customer service plain sucks! Going searching for other card options. Just not worth the headaches. Used to be great to deal with last few months. Customer service has been bad in my opinion.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Citibank stole three of my credit cards. My Chase card was tracked back to the Citibank office in Maryland and was being used at Citi's main office. My Capital One credit card was intercepted by Citibank in Topeka and was overdraw. That was a 20,000 limit card. I've talked to at least four other people this has happened to. They intercept the codes in the mail and reorders them back to Citi as their bank cards. I'm out over 65,000 with my last Barclays card they intercepted. Someone please help prosecute these **. They get away with it because they redeem the cards into their institute, Help please.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Similar to the msg below recently posted by Jan, Citibank closed our savings account due to inactivity. We received a letter from Citibank, so we went down to the local branch and used an ATM to deposit money. But we deposited into a LINKED checking account whereas Citi requires activity in EACH account. If you have two accounts with Citi (a checking and a savings account), Citi will close your saving account even if your linked checking account shows activity. Citibank never called us on the phone or sent us any email, they just sent a letter and then closed our account. When we called them, they told us we needed to have a transaction but never told us it had to be in THAT account as opposed to our other, linked account. We now have to figure out how to get the money back from some state agency.

DO NOT OPEN A SAVING ACCOUNT WITH CITIBANK UNLESS YOU PLAN TO DO MANY TRANSACTIONS. In my opinion, this bank is run by computers, not people. In my opinion, for the average person, there is no such thing as "personal banking" with Citibank. In my opinion, Citibank obviously does not want children's savings accounts or personal long-term savings accounts -- no matter what their marketing claims.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I had a Citi card with a decent limit up until about 5 minutes ago when I closed the account because their customer service is terrible. I have had the card for years and have paid off the account in full. My disappointment stems from the foreign customer service rep and the system in which they deal with fees. I had a domain renewal charged to the card which had a $0 balance at the time and I did not realize that card was on file so I was late to make a payment. $105 in fees later, I respectfully requested that one of the $35 fees be credited and I would pay the rest in full.

My account was current and never late before this so I expected at least a one-time courtesy. They denied the request and I immediately paid the balance and closed the account. I guess they would rather take my $105 than make $1000s in interest when I could have used the card again in the near future for some home improvements. I also have a Home Depot card through Citi that I'm about to pay off and close because of this experience so there's another few $1000 that they are not going to get from me. Hope you enjoy the $105. Guess my 750 credit score and perfect record until now aren't enough to try to keep a customer over a measly $35.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

New customer to Citi. Deposited my paycheck last Thursday, still no available funds. They gave me $10 available out of my check. I understand I have a new account, therefore they hold the funds longer. But come on!!! A week and still cannot use my funds from my paycheck is very frustrating. Can't pay my bills, can't eat, cannot afford to do anything. What really grinds my gears is they told me it would be available today AT THE VERY LATEST, guess what, it's not. I called and all they offered me was an apology For receiving Incorrect information. Screw Citi. I'm closing my Account and going back to US.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Last night 10/23 I received an email from Citi entitled Notice of Account Closure and for me to go online and look at my account for a notice. I did this and nothing new was on there. So I called Citi customer service. I was told that since I had not used my account in 24 months that it would be closed if I didn't use it by 10/28. On 10/24 I decided to use my card but decided that I better look at my account online again for any messages. There was a message on there this time that my account was closed. So I called customer service again and talked to a manager. The manager said that the account was closed but that they would be glad to take information from me and review it to see if I qualified for a new account. This really made me mad. But I reluctantly gave her my full name and SS#.

Then I asked her if they would be running a credit check again. She said yes. I said well I have locked all my credit agency accounts due to the Equifax mess and I would have to unlock them. Then I decided the hell with it. I told her that I had had this account since 1985-32 years and that they closed my account with no notice. They made tons of money off me years ago but now that I don't need to charge to the card much, they dumped me with no notice. I told her I would look elsewhere for a credit card and that they needed to relook at their policies on how they treat their customers, especially long time customers. I will NEVER do business with them again and I highly recommend that no one else does either.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My overall experience from Citibank has been unpleasant can I get so frustrating when you want to solve a problem with customer service you have to speak to a foreign representative because they're too cheap to hire people in the United States to handle their affairs. Heaven help you if you don't have a checking account because no representative in the banks will talk to you because they claim they can't access your information. My recommendation bank somewhere else.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Citibank played a very big part in ruining my credit. I was a customer with them for a very long time and in very good standing. Last year I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. As a result of having this tumor, I unfortunately got behind in a couple of payments. I had been making these payments for years without any problem because my credit was extremely important to me. After my surgery, I immediately got back on track. Citibank didn't care about my circumstances or the fact that I had no control over falling behind (for a brief time) or that I had been with them in good standing for so long. A company that does not care about their customers is not a company worthy of doing business with.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

On 10/1/17 I made TWO separate payments to Citi via their online app. I only received one receipt reflecting one payment but my bank withdrew the TWO payments so I was fine with it. BIG MISTAKE. There was an enormous amount of confusion to follow and it took me calling 6 times over the course of 8 days before someone at Citi actually took the time to investigate. Her name was Charlie and she was wonderful. I'll get to that in a minute. I called Citi on 10/4/17 when I noticed that though my bank had sent two payments on 10/1, Citi only reflected one payment. In total this call took 45 minutes to review and explain. I had to verify my information 3 separate times. I was told all I needed to do was send over the two separate Trace numbers which I did within minutes. I was told my account would be credited pending investigation and that this issue would be resolved by Friday (10/6).

On 10/6/17 nothing had changed on my account, no credit was applied, no information had been provided to me and I needed to make another payment in order to keep my balance down. I called again, this conversation took another 45 minutes to review, re-explain and verify my information 2 times (again). I was told my account would be credited and this would be resolved no later than the following Tuesday (10/10). I called on 10/9 to see if there was any update or if they needed any additional information. Another 45 minutes on the phone and the customer support person sent me to the fraud department because apparently he didn't want to research the situation. Once I was transferred back to customer service, no update was provided but I was asked to send over my bank statement proving the two separate payments which I did within minutes.

On 10/10 (the most recent resolution date promise) giving the benefit of the doubt, I waited until late in the afternoon to call - at this point, when I called I was in tears. I just wanted to know what was happening and why though I'd sent everything in, no one would tell me where the missing $1,000 was or what was being done to find it. Every time I call it's 45 minutes on the phone a lot of that time is spent on repeating the same information again (why aren't there any notations in the system?). No update, no information no contact from Citi (I had to initiate all contact) from 10/11-10/13). I called again on 10/13 and spoke with a supervisor named Patrick. Patrick was terrible. He couldn't care less about my problem. I'm not one who doesn't have patience but enough was enough. Patrick was a complete jerk is the bottom line.

As a result, I asked to speak with a different manager. That is when Charlie stepped in like an angel from heaven. Charlie looked over my account and called my bank with me on the line so we could sort through the issue. Once Charlie got a hold of this, the resolution was reached within 15 minutes (though it took 1 hour, 20 minutes before I was connected with Charlie). Charlie cared, she grabbed the bull by the horns and she resolved my issue just like that! If it weren't for the Costco Rewards and most of all Charlie I would cancel this card in a heartbeat. I will not recommend this card to friends and family because Citi ONE person at Citi cared to deal with an issue. Out of the 6-7 people I spoke to.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I prefer to do all my banking online. I use Citibank's inter-client transfer, and I both send and receive international wire transfers several times each month. I have found that with almost 100% accuracy, the online banking site will stop working for me after I've done a few things; it's *extremely* rare for me to be able to do more than 15 minutes of tasks paying bills and such without it ceasing operation. At that point, the only solution is to restart my browser. I typically have lots of Windows open so this is incredibly disruptive; Citibank has made no effort to fix, and simply advises me to restart the browser.

I've had problems with the iOS app too, but not as many. But since there are lots of things I can't do from the iOS app (as opposed to the desktop site), like initiating their interclient transfers or doing bill pay, it's not much help. In San Marcos, their in-bank personnel are friendly and helpful. But I've often run into situations where they cannot diagnose issues; I had a lot of problems accepting an insurance payment check at one point, and it took a lot of red tape and back and forth with the insurer and mortgage company before they would accept the check.

I had another issue recently where I took too long to activate a new card they issued (they changed my account status from Gold to Priority because they made Gold super exclusive -- $200k on deposit -- even though I pay about $30 / month for the Gold -- now Priority account). Reissuing a card didn't work, and nobody could figure it out for a while -- turns out that there was an "undocumented" (or at least unknown to any branch personnel including managers) policy of deactivating even old cards if the new card was not activated. I spent many hours going back and forth trying several cards they issued me, none of which worked until we changed my account number. This was a huge hassle since a lot of places (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) had that card number and had to be updated. I'm now looking for a new bank. I've had horrible experiences with BofA and Wells Fargo, so maybe it's time to switch to a local credit union.

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

www.citibank.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use