Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.30/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Citibank is a long-standing bank. It has always been trustworthy for me. The only downside is their fees, don't like being nickel and dimed just because I don't hold a lot of money in accounts; but then again, other banks are no better when it comes to this. Give to the rich - take from the poor. Bad practice.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have my accounts with Citibank for over 18 years and was pleased until moving out of the city years ago. It is a secure and reliable bank but lacks local branches. From an experience point of view, if you don't live in New York city you will be frustrated in trying to find one.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I like that Citibank has 24/7 customer service and has ATMs all over. The fees are pretty average. I remember comparing them with Chase and found their services similar. Santander once had a $20/month for a year incentive for new customers but I didn't switch because it's not as big of a bank. One of the last times I went to Citibank, I saw an account, possibly a CD for 2.5% interest but the minimum was $25,000, so that didn't tempt me. I heard were very helpful to a relative when he was traveling abroad and his card was stolen but I was not told the details. I just started using the app a few months ago and it's very helpful to see my transactions lined up. I was unclear if a pending debit was taken into account with my current balance. The phone system tells me that important information. I also have two custodial accounts for my kids and it would be helpful to see their names on them so I don't have to look up their account numbers.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I’m in a financial struggle at the moment and my spouse is not currently working so I called to make arrangements to keep my account open. The person I spoke to first was not very helpful and I'm sure the company has the conversation recorded. She proceeded to tell me that my account will be closed if I wanted to make arrangements which I did not understand due to a letter that I received today stating that they can help make payment arrangements. I told her never mind. I will wait till my next payment is due. Make the minimum. I just want to keep my account open. I’m in a dilemma.

It so happens that I received a phone call 5-10 min later regarding an attempt to collect a debt from the Same company that I just got off the phone with and I explained to the gentleman name Justin that was very helpful and understanding to the situation and is willing to work with me and he also did not understand why he called after I just spoke to someone about 5-10 min again but I am thankful that he did call. Justin I couldn’t get your last name but I do hope you are recognized for the great work that you do. You truly made my day much better knowing that I still have a chance. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

About 2 weeks ago I was at the Westwood branch and during my visit I have met one of the bankers by name Pavel ** - Nmls id#**, branch #624, Market Place CA13. He offer me his help and spent with me time helping to resolve some issues. He demonstrate high level of professionalism parallel with excellent customer service. I came to branches very rarely and I was very impressed by his work; nobody before was trying to help me as this person. At the end I can tell that I will try to bring at this branch in close future not less than $30000, just because of this person.

I did spoke to branch manager about his work and I asked him how can I leave feedback to their superior. He gave me advice and I left a feedback verbally to Citibank rep over the phone, the same time to make sure I do this review now through email. To get a customer sometimes take years, to lose customer you do not need even to say something, a look that you give can break relations. I really want this worker to be rewarded or promoted, people like him make a difference in our business life. Alex **. Ps. I am not perfect in English, since I never attended school in USA, but I hope you will understand my feelings.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I made an external transfer for $1500 that Citibank first rejected, then lost. It has been 3 weeks and they still cannot find it. Every supervisor I speak with gives me the runaround, lying to me. They blame the bank they pulled the money from but then say it will definitely be in my account on a certain date. The date comes and goes. I’ve spent hours on the phone for weeks trying to get answers while they make interest on my money they refuse to return. Always something else someone else is supposed to do that never does. Meanwhile I will be spending money on interest for my property taxes because I’ll be late waiting for them to return my money. It’s a disgrace. Then the supervisors complain that you’re calling every day. I’m sure if their money got lost they would do the same thing. You are in for a lot of heartache if you use this bank. Don’t be fooled by the .9% interest on savings. They can’t even handle a basic transfer.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

Citibank was offering promotional bonuses for opening checking and savings accounts. I tried to open the accounts online but the website would not allow me to do so, so I called customer service. The woman was very easy to talk, said I was still eligible for the promotional bonuses when opening by phone. The last step of that phone call was the funding of the Citibank accounts. She told me I could have Citibank withdraw the funds from my existing online savings account. I asked if she was sure this would work since all prior times I opened an online account I had to have my existing bank account send out the money to the new account. She swore it was done all the time without issue, but added that I "would be called, texted, or emailed if there was a failure" and again added that "there should NOT be."

Over a week later I checked, expecting to see the money deducted from my existing bank account. It was not! I had already set up my Citibank online banking, so I checked and found that I had a NEGATIVE balance; I had been charged a returned check fee. I had to wait until Monday to call yet again because the 24 hour customer support could not address the matter. Over and over the 24 hour customer service- I called either overnight or on weekends- either could not provide an answer or gave such unbelievable answers that I KNEW the information was wrong. If it was M-F on the One Step Sales Unit line at least I could ask to speak to someone like a supervisor. Further, there is NO WAY for a customer of Citibank to send an email or secure message to ask questions or receive help via the website.)

On Monday, I called Citibank One Stop Sales Unit and was told I was charged this fee because my other account had blocked the withdrawal. I needed a supervisor to really explain what went wrong; get the fee reversed, and to make a complaint that their own agent had told me that it could and would work the way she had set it up (and clearly what she told me was totally incorrect!). Despite all the promises in that first phone call with Citibank, Citi had made no attempt to notify me by phone, text, or email that the deposit had failed, or that I had been charged for a returned check.

That same day (14 days after opening by now) I went into my non-Citi account; arranged for the external link to the Citibank account; and I set up the transfer. Three days after I had seen the money was being sent to Citibank, the money was back in the original account. Again I had to wait until daytime hours to call to get a resolution. After speaking to 3 different people I got a real answer: the wrong routing number for Citibank was used (apparently there are many). That same hour, I set up a new transfer from my other bank account to the Citibank account using the correct routing number. That was 19 days after opening this account (the account must be funded within 30 days of opening to be eligible for the bonuses). The transfer was FINALLY successful 25 days after opening the accounts.

I then transferred the funds from the checking into the savings so I met all the requirements, and I had already set up the direct deposits weeks before to earn the extra $100. In every one of the at least 10 different conversations I had with Citibank customer service agents and supervisors up to this point, I made sure that I had clearly stated that I was opening these accounts with the goal of earning the promotional money. Each time I was told that it was documented in the records from the original phone call that I was eligible for the promotion (coupon code was applied)- every call until after meeting all the requirements and calling customer service to ask when I could expect the bonus deposited.

That call was on a weekend and that man tried to say there was NO record of any promotion being attached to the accounts that I had opened. I told him that made no sense because everyone else I had talked to said it was clearly there. He asked if I had a verification email. It had been so long since opening I had forgotten, but I DID have one and produced the code for him. He sounded so unprofessional, I asked to speak to a supervisor. He said he would transfer me. Instead for over 45 minutes before I hung up the landline, I listened to banging, distant music and occasional bursts of laughter. After 25 minutes of this, I called Citibank customer service line again from my cell phone and reported the whole thing to the female who answered.

This was all during COVID-19 in the summer so I had originally thought that was the cause for weird background noises (i.e. people working from home) but it was clear that man never made any attempt to transfer the call to anyone. As for the promotional bonuses, I made sure every requirement was met and waited an additional 10 days beyond that and still no bonus in my accounts. After those two fruitless calls on the weekend, I decided to just speak with a supervisor on Monday. She was great: she opened up a case, agreeing I had met all requirements on the date I had calculated. The case was answered within 3 business days via secure message.

They wrote that I had met every requirement but they did not have some tax document (W9) in my file. NO ONE had ever told me about needing to fill out some tax document. I downloaded the form and mailed TWO separate completed forms (with a note telling them in each envelope that I was sending two separate copies so they could not say they never received it) on two separate days from 2 different mailboxes. I heard nothing more, so about a week later I called again. After >20 minutes on hold, a customer service agent tried to tell me that I had to wait an additional 90 days now that they had the tax document in my file! I told her "No, not at all. The communication in my account says once the form is received, I will get my bonus."

She put me on hold again and again and FINALLY, another 15 minutes later, said she was gonna open another case- that the other was closed so she could not use that case number. The next day there was a notice in my account saying a new investigation had been opened and I should have an answer in several business days. Investigation results are always sent by secure message. Instead, 7 days after calling to open the 2nd investigation, I received an email in my home email account that stated:

"Dear ** Thank you for choosing Citi for your banking needs, and for your enrollment in the Citibank $400 Checking Offer. Unfortunately, we’ve determined you haven’t fulfilled the Offer’s eligibility requirements for the following reason: You did not provide your required tax documentation during the offer period." Again I would have to call the next day. The next day I called and asked for a supervisor at the One Stop Sales Unit number. I told her about the email I had received and that I reviewed every single document AGAIN and that nowhere did it ever state that I had to mail in a tax form as part of opening these accounts or, more importantly, as a requirement of earning the promotional bonuses.

She said would open YET ANOTHER investigation. I told her I hoped that she did (she was so apathetic I was not sure she really was going to) because whether she did so or not, I was going to file a complaint with the government agency for banking oversight because I had met every single requirement that they had in writing- and I even had a secure message from them stating I had met every single requirement and all that they were asking for was the W-9- and that they now have that for days, also.

FINALLY 5 days Later I received a secure message saying the $500 bonus would be deposited into my account and it was the same day. If only that was the end of it. After all these interactions, misinformation, lies, deceptions, poor customer service I, of course, have NO desire to maintain a relationship with Citibank. I called to see how I could close the account. She told me to move the money into one of the accounts and authorize her to close the account and they would send me a check. I repeatedly said I wanted to close both accounts. 3 days later the one account is closed. The other account is STILL OPEN with a $0 balance. So I had to call AGAIN. These people are ridiculously bad. There are not words for how bad they are. The ONLY thing they did WELL and as promised was send me the check within 10 business days. In fact I actually got it a full week before I expected to see it.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

The day before my birthday 6-6-20. I had reserved 2 days stay from 6-8 for hotel reservation from Agoda.com at Extended Stay AMERICA in Anaheim California. Upon arrival on 6-6-20 I was told that my reservation was not in the hotel system and I was denied stay. I immediately tried calling and contacting the reservation company agoda.com and I also called my bank Citibank. To notify them of what just had happened. They told me they would put this into investigation being that I just became a victim or fraud. After that I even had to reserve another stay for 2 days at a different hotel meaning spending more money out of my pocket.

Being that the reservation company Agoda.com had already deducted the money from my checking account even before I checked in. This happen 6-6-20. During June and July 2020 I was told by different representatives from other countries not the United States that it was still under investigation. That at the moment they didn't need anything from me because the only proof I had was basically a screenshot of my reservation. But that they were going to do a real investigation.

I would assume that they would have contacted the hotel or the hotel manager to see the video where I did show up to the hotel after 3pm on 6-6-20. Where I was there for 12-15 minutes trying to beg the clerk to please check again for my reservation over and over again. Or they could have asked prove where I signed to check in or to check out of my Room. Meaning In reality there is no proof because I was denied stay and because the reservation was either never in the system. Or the hotel made a mistake or agoda.com scammed me. Either way I was a victim of fraud on my dam Birthday!

Later one of the representatives when I called citibank told me they were going to credit me back for $144 to my count and that it should be a shut and closed case because I was denied stay when I showed up for my reservation. But on 9-3-20 I received a cold letter dated 8-25-20. The day when I almost got in a car accident because of these miserable bank crappy representatives. Who do not do their job right leaving the mess to be picked up by victims like myself. The letter went on to say that during the time when the dispute was open I did not show enough evidence and that they were going to take back the $144 and that I should get help for this situation somewhere else. HOW UNETHICAL AND INSULTING!

I've been with this bank over a decade. I have never lied. I have never cheated or done anything out of the ordinary. But On the Contrary for the last 4-5 years the service with citibank has being a problem but more like a nightmare. Every time you call no one speaks english and they even hang up on you constantly. Also as for Agoda.com later I read reviews on them. Most of it was negative saying how they cheat people out of their money. Booking them reservations to their surprise later to find out when they had reached their destination that the reservations were bogus.

If I would have known that citibank would have never done their job. Less done a thorough investigation or one at all. I would had done it myself! You have to understand the whole time I was being misled by these unprofessional non English-speaking so called representatives from outside the United States. That they didn't need anything from me that they were going to do the whole investigation. THEY LIED TO ME OVER AND OVER AGAIN! SO, After receiving this letter and finding out how my own banks representatives SCORNED ME BY BETRAYAL. I went out of my mind. I was so infuriated. I couldn't believe that a big bank like citibank would not protect its clients and would let something ugly like this happen.

When I got on the phone with another citibank representative that day I received that letter. The same day I almost got in an accident, spilled fluids all over my brand new car seat covers and almost ended up in that urgent care. I suffer from a very painful illness FIBROMYALGIA. Where stress triggers the worse kind of nerve pain all over my body. I was told by this representative that I needed to write a dispute appeal letter. With any kind of evidence explaining basically everything that I'm explaining on this site. Which I did I actually sent about 9 emails to the email they gave me. Attaching about 2 to 3 screenshots on each and I did this because I didn't want them to come back as undelivered from sending too many attachments on an email.

After 9-4-20 I even would call every day asking if they received my emails they kept saying no! I also called the hotel "Extend stay America" myself in Anaheim California I spoke to the manager named Mike. When I was on the phone I explained my situation to him. He told me to email him so he can have something on writing that can show that my reservation was never in the system that day. That what I've been telling my bank the truth from the beginning stands corrected. It blows my mind as easy as this could have been done from the beginning with their so called investigation. I was not getting any help or anything done on the phone or through emails. Nothing but the run around from these representatives that behave like cold spineless jerks.

I decided to take my paperwork and all my evidence to a merchant representative inside a city brank location in Irvine California. Where a very nice lady who speaks perfect English tried helping me. She told me she sent them my evidence and even the copy of the email where the manager States that I never stayed there that day because my reservation was not in their system. If they want more investigation evidence it will show that I showed up on camera after 3:00 p.m. on that location to try to sign in to get my room but I was denied stay!!!!

I want to add again that trying to reach agoda.com by email or by phone was a never ending story. It was impossible! It would just hang up on you when you try to call them because it asks for a booking number. Every time I would try to put in my reservation number it would hang up on me. The lady from the citibank branch "corner of Jamboree and Irvine bld" in Irvine California that helped me. She tried to call the company agoda.com herself and the results were the same. As she told me she explained this to the department where she sent all my evidence. I have done this time everything within my power to show prove that I am a victim of fraud and A VICTIM OF CITIBANK! This whole situation is disgusting.

I am appalled of how every representative on the phone from citibank has treated me. They were unprofessional, they misled me, they hung up on me constantly and lied to me. This is the reason why I'm stuck with this mess. Till this day no Citibank representative has even had the decency after showing proof in person to even talk to me by calling, writting, emailing or anything at all. The reason is obvious. They have been giving me the run around hoping that I would get tired and go away. To think I could have been dead or gotten a serious car accident that would have left me handicap from all this stress because of the way citibank conducts business. SHAME ON THEM! I REMAIN A VICTIM OF FRAUD BECAUSE OF CITIBANK. THE LAWS SHOULD NOT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS. They must come forward and fix this damage!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Citibank's recent actions taken within the last few months, has made me a very disappointed "FORMER" credit card holder. After being a credit card member for over 31 years, this company made the decision to close my account, based on information obtained from my credit report. When talking to a Citibank representative about this issue, I was told that the closure of my account was due to it being classified as "HIGH RISK/INACTIVE". What is so puzzling about this situation is that the account was paid off in full almost two months earlier, making it have a "ZERO" balance. So why wasn't my account closed during the time period before I paid it off, since it was deemed in such poor standing?

I also contacted the consumer reporting agency from which Citibank obtained my credit report, and they stated that my account was not closed, that it was still active. From this total experience, I assuming that there is a lack of communication between departments, and that there needs to be an update on the company's "STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES " (SOP). If I could give Citibank less than 1 ☆, I would.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

Do not I repeat DO NOT bank here. I’ve been with this bank for years. I’ve been having problems with them every since. I deposit paper checks. They always give me my money the same day. Here recently I started a new job. My first check was paper so I use the Mobile app to deposit it. They broke my check down in payments over a 5 day period and gave it to me how they wanted to. My car got repossessed due to them holding my money. I called. The representatives are unprofessional and the managers are no better. I wouldn’t recommend this bank to no one. They suck I mean really they suck.

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor