1.12/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Citibank

Looking for a mortgage lender?

1500 Citibank Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have been banking at Citibank for over 20 years. They changed names a few times but I always stay with them. Their customer service is also good. They always help me if I have a problem, most times they can handle it through the phone. I have been very happy with Citibank.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My husband and I wanted to buy a house and take out a loan along with it. Now usually that takes a long time however Doreen sped the whole process up. She walked us through every step, was patient with all of our questions, and got everything done in a timely manner. When she found out we were having some problems on other ends of this whole process, she helped with the other departments to get everything done on time. Thanks to her and her dedication, we are now moved into the new house with everything in place on the financial side.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Alameda branch is the closest, so I solve all my banking needs there. Every time the service is impeccable. On Apr. 27 it was again time for banking and had to talk to the manager, Mr. Ryan **. He was fast, courteous, efficient, nice. I was truly impressed. Good job!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I selected Citibank for my mortgage as I have a long standing relationship, several open accounts and the Services and Customer Service was always outstanding. The Mortgage Loan Officer was outstanding and very helpful from the beginning of the process even while I was looking for the right home. She was very patient and responded quickly to my question whether by phone or text and explained the different options so that I could make the right decision. Though I was disappointed in the timeframe between the documentation submissions, pre-approval and final approval which was very lengthy. Applying for a mortgage during the major holidays season further delayed the approval. They also do not provide home renovation loans which would have been useful as I now have to find another way to get this done. Overall I was satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I am a Citibank card holder and my credit card information was stolen. I discovered fraudulent expenditures on my credit card statement, which led me to investigate with the help of Citibank. It's been a stressful and unnerving experience, but the support I received from Citibank was prompt, efficient and professional. Thank you, A grateful customer!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

In June 21019 I set up a Citi Accelerate Savings Account to obtain a higher interest rate. At the end of July Citibank closed the account stating I had not completed paperwork and my funds would be returned within ten (10) business days. (The only paperwork ever received were letters opening and closing the account). Nearly two months later the funds have not been returned, are not accessible to me, and are not earning interest. Calls to the main number are inevitably transferred and I am given different misinformation as to the status of my funds. I am never given a direct number to call. Most recently I was asked to provide a current utility bill with my address on it and I have complied. I am still awaiting the return of my savings.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Citibank was cool for a good 3 years then they lost it! I randomly had all of my accounts frozen for a few weeks without explanation. Every time I called I had to go through 20 questions to their from my account. Then, the number of times that I kept saying my name got to the point where they would actually say my name incorrectly when repeating it back. Then they blocked all access to my account saying that somebody was calling alleging that they were the owner of my account but it wasn't the correct name. But of course. It was me. They just weren't letting me access my own accounts.

They made me go through a charade of going to the branch with 2 and 3 and 5 forms of ID about 6 times and would give me no explanation over the phone as to why needed to do that. They were just lock me out of my online banking. Block all of my accounts and my cards and tell me to go to the branch. Inside the branch I would frequently be be told that my accounts were fine and that there is absolutely no block on the account. I would leave the branch and immediately my account would be blocked again and the cycle would start all over. Again this happened repeatedly with no explanation, no apology and no rational reason. So here we are 2 weeks after that 9-day account verification fiasco and my card doesn't work. They have blocked it, telling me that I now have to reset my pin. Why?

Apparently although I've had pretty much similar pin numbers for most of my banking adult life you're not allowed to repeat digits in your pin so my pin code of choice for the past 3 years is 'invalid.' Go figure. So I go through the representative and the tedious verification jeopardy game and reset the pin. Miracles do happen-- I'm actually able to withdraw money from the ATM yay! A small victory.

TWO DAYS LATER and my card and online banking account is completely blocked across-the-board. I've tried unsuccessfully to pay a deductible for my mobile device claim via an the automated system first, and then again (unsuccessfully) with a representative. Of course not only is my card blocked but my online banking access has been restricted. Again this is not one account to 1 debit card--NOOO! This is 5 accounts including checking deposit accounts, savings accounts, checking accounts, linked credit cards, and they just arbitrarily block all of my stuff.

My accounts are not overdrawn. There's plenty of money in my accounts and two direct deposits going into my accounts. And, keep in mind, just 2 weeks ago they: They hijacked all of my accounts without explanation and demanded see every form of ID that I have literally in life: ID cards, driver license, pay stub, social security card, even other forms of payment cards, everything! But here I am: made the mistake of calling citibank while still on the phone with the insurance lady thinking they'd just remove the block after verification so I can quickly make the payment.

Instead I'm told (after 13 minutes on hold) "Your account is under review. We are not able to provide any further information. There's nothing you can do at this time but wait for a correspondence-- They will send you a letter or they may call you." So again all of my funds and access to my funds has been completely held hostage without reason, without explanation, with no end in sight comet with no resolution date explained, and with no freaking explanation! I am pissed!!!! Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I disputed the transaction which I did not use. But they said, somebody physically showed up and used it so I need to pay for it. I’m not even sure what they investigated. They did not even check the receipts or cctv. They even notified it to me 30days later so Merchants could not even provide me the receipts since they keep it for 30days. I think Citi bank purposely did that so that I cant prove the truth. It seems to me they did nothing and no willingness to help customers. They even pushed me as a liar that I used card and I disputed. Very low quality company!!!! I have decided to file it to police dept. Everyone, please do not trust citi bank.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

DO NOT BELIEVE that you will get an email "ALERT" 5 days before late fee and interest charges occur. Spoke with CSR and could not get fee waived. Have been a Citi customer for many years, without a single late payment. That is gratitude for you! Missing an email statement was costly. I am now back on the USPS service with paper statements and will drastically reduce my usage of the Citi card. To me, it is nothing more than a FEE GENERATOR for Citi.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Banked with this nightmarish bank for like a decade and they cannot provide bank statements either online or via email. I closed my account recently due to relocation outside US. When I asked for my bank statements to be emailed to my registered email they were not able to send me the copies of my statements. This went for 3-4 months. At last I gave up and asked them mail me the statements to my registered US address, they first told me they have serviced the request and statements were on the way. After a couple of weeks, when I called they said that the request was never serviced and that for the request to be processed I have to pay a service fee. I was willing to pay the service fee but then they told me that I have to pay it in a branch. I have relocated to Europe and Citibank branch here. It's a nightmare dealing with this bank. Worst bank ever to do business with.

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg