Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Citibank Reviews

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I’m in a financial struggle at the moment and my spouse is not currently working so I called to make arrangements to keep my account open. The person I spoke to first was not very helpful and I'm sure the company has the conversation recorded. She proceeded to tell me that my account will be closed if I wanted to make arrangements which I did not understand due to a letter that I received today stating that they can help make payment arrangements. I told her never mind. I will wait till my next payment is due. Make the minimum. I just want to keep my account open. I’m in a dilemma.

It so happens that I received a phone call 5-10 min later regarding an attempt to collect a debt from the Same company that I just got off the phone with and I explained to the gentleman name Justin that was very helpful and understanding to the situation and is willing to work with me and he also did not understand why he called after I just spoke to someone about 5-10 min again but I am thankful that he did call. Justin I couldn’t get your last name but I do hope you are recognized for the great work that you do. You truly made my day much better knowing that I still have a chance. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

About 2 weeks ago I was at the Westwood branch and during my visit I have met one of the bankers by name Pavel ** - Nmls id#**, branch #624, Market Place CA13. He offer me his help and spent with me time helping to resolve some issues. He demonstrate high level of professionalism parallel with excellent customer service. I came to branches very rarely and I was very impressed by his work; nobody before was trying to help me as this person. At the end I can tell that I will try to bring at this branch in close future not less than $30000, just because of this person.

I did spoke to branch manager about his work and I asked him how can I leave feedback to their superior. He gave me advice and I left a feedback verbally to Citibank rep over the phone, the same time to make sure I do this review now through email. To get a customer sometimes take years, to lose customer you do not need even to say something, a look that you give can break relations. I really want this worker to be rewarded or promoted, people like him make a difference in our business life. Alex **. Ps. I am not perfect in English, since I never attended school in USA, but I hope you will understand my feelings.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

If you want a excellent way to contact CitiBank Support; with a real person, fast response and a excellent support agent, (forget using their mobile app). Text Citibank through Messenger. You'll be surprised by their effort to help you resolve your issue!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have been banking at Citibank for over 20 years. They changed names a few times but I always stay with them. Their customer service is also good. They always help me if I have a problem, most times they can handle it through the phone. I have been very happy with Citibank.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My husband and I wanted to buy a house and take out a loan along with it. Now usually that takes a long time however Doreen sped the whole process up. She walked us through every step, was patient with all of our questions, and got everything done in a timely manner. When she found out we were having some problems on other ends of this whole process, she helped with the other departments to get everything done on time. Thanks to her and her dedication, we are now moved into the new house with everything in place on the financial side.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: June 30, 2020

I recently responded to Citi's offer to open a money market account, but after 30 days I'm closed it in extreme frustration because I cannot entrust my money to an organization that is as backward as Citi and that makes it so hard to manage my account. Because I put a very large amount into my account, I wanted to set up some beneficiaries to that account in case I die. This was my first encounter with how backward they are. You cannot set up beneficiaries online! At other large financial institutions I deal with - Vanguard and TIAA to name just two, I have been able to manage my beneficiaries online for at least 5 years.

So I called Citi and after fighting through their automated answering system (which is also extremely frustrating to deal with because they do not have any options that even closely approximated my issue) I finally reached a person (hint, press 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 - just one zero press wouldn't do it) who offered to send me an Add/Change Beneficiary Kit.

I received that kit yesterday and saw that it had a bizarre provision: "Pennsylvania: Only 2 beneficiaries are allowed per account." Because I live in PA and have three sons whom I want to name as beneficiaries, this provision was significant. Never having run into this rule with any other financial organization, I did some online research and could find no PA law that has to do with how many beneficiaries are on an account, so it's not clear to me why Citi has this restriction.

There was a second problem, not entirely unexpected, which is that Citi requires notarization of the document. In these Covid-19 times, that is going to be very difficult and somewhat risky for me to do. In any case, I decided to do battle with their automated answering system again in the hopes that maybe I could get these two provisions waived. Well, this time the answering system fight was even worse. Of course there was no prompt that even closely matched my needs, and the system kept trying to force feed me into listening to my balance or recent transactions. Pressing 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 no longer worked.

Finally, I did find a way to get through to a person. This person said that she could not help me because my account was only a few weeks old and that I needed to talk to someone in "new accounts", and she transferred my call. After 5 more minutes of waiting without anyone coming on the line, my call was summarily disconnected. So I called back, again doing battle with the automated answering system, and when I was finally able to speak to a human, asked them to transfer me to the new accounts people and to give me their direct line in case I got disconnected again.

This time, no disconnect and I reached someone in new accounts. However, this person said that she could not help me but would transfer me to another department that could. With my recent disconnection fresh in mind, I asked her for their direct phone number, but she proceeded to give me the general Citi number. When I said, "no that's the general number, that won't help me, please give me their direct number," she said that this department did not have a direct number from outside Citi. So she proceeded to transfer my call. This time the call disconnected almost immediately after the transfer, so at least this time I didn't have to wait 5 more minutes on hold.

At this point I'm seeing red and my smartwatch is flashing alerts. All I want to do now is just get my money bank and never have to deal with Citi again. So I thought, OK, I was able to transfer my money in to the account online, therefore I already have a trusted link to an account at my other bank set up, so let's just transfer the money back.

Ahh, not so fast, not with Citi once they have your money. When I tried to set up the transfer, I saw that Citi puts limits on how much can be transferred. In and of itself that's understandable, but the outbound transfer limit is one tenth the size of the inbound transfer limit. So, instead of doing two transfers which is what it took to get my money in to them, it was going to take 20 transfers, limited to one per day, to get it back. Actually, longer, because there are monthly limits that would kick in.

So, one more time into the breach with the phone system. I was surprised to discover that "closing an account" is actually an option in the automated answer-er. Maybe that's because so many people want to get out of Citi, like me!?!?! But Citi had one more opportunity to make this an even worse experience, and they did. Closing my account was going to take 11 to 15 business days, I was informed by the sweet voice of the girl who had taken my call. Incredible. I will never deal with Citi again and my hope is that whomever reads this will take that advice as well.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I've had a Citi credit card for the last couple of years and have not had any issues. They recently started advertising 1.2% interest on a savings account so I thought I would create one. This was a HUGE mistake. First there are no instructions on how to guide you through this process. I spent over an hour with a service rep who could barely speak English to get me through this. It's now been almost 5 days and my money is still in a holding pattern. In other words, I can't get access to my money I transfered.

I then wanted to setup my external checking account so I could move money back and forth between my savings and external checking account. Again, there was no obvious way to do this on their website. So, again I had to call. This time I also got a representative who could barely state his name or speak English. After another hour it seemed like we got this setup. I got no verification, no e-mail telling me it was setup, nothing.

I have now been told that it will take another week before everything gets validated to where I can have access to my money. So, in other words, they are holding my money hostage. As soon as I can get access to my funds, I will be transfering them back to my external checking account and closing my relationship with this insane bank. Do yourself a favor and RUN from this bank.

Original review: June 29, 2020

We were on a 2 year 0% interest. Paid off the card well over a year ago and resued it as needed. Never knew anything about having to actually call in to make sure Every payment is Applied to the promotion. Either they are leaving out key details to then Extort us for pay on the Interest. I had called Citibank several times, their customer service could have caught and corrected it long ago. Nope, now they want their interest, even though I had full paid the card off well within the 2 years. Thank you.

Original review: June 28, 2020

To begin, my online account access has been greatly limited to only making my monthly payments due to not activating a new card. From there in the middle of the COVID-19 Pandemic my credit limit was reduced by 25%. When I inquired through the online chat feature it was explained that this was due to my mail being returned. I later called to speak with "Customer Service" who then told me my credit limit was reduced due to a $0 balance collection account erroneously placed into my credit file and that is why my limit was reduced.

I was told that Citibank is too large of a company to deal with individual issues and hung up on. Bear in mind, my credit score was 700 when all this occurred and this reduction in available credit has lowered my score. If it wasn't for the fact that closing my account would lower my credit further I would do so. If I have even the slightest issue with them again, I'll bite the bullet and use a better company.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Citi let me open several checking accounts but when I deposited my stimulus account they blocked my online cause they said my info was compromised to call them. I did then they send me to another department to verify my activity. They did. She said she could not on block it so she transfer me to another department and they could not do nothing for me. They said my check didn't match my address on file and then they said it did their mistake but they still can't unblock my account and they won't close it.

I open it in May 8 2020 and I still haven't received my debit card or got to use my money now. I AM sick with Covid 19 and they still want me to take proof of address to the branch so they could close it or take the block off. I probably won't even survive. I told them what happens to my money then they still hold it. It goes nowhere cause of the hold. I need to use my money. I deposited over the phone. I took a picture so they could just cancel it and I could deposited my check somewhere else. They won't close my account. I need medicine and to make arrangements in case I die and these people will not close my account.

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor