1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1297 Citibank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Citibank has the rudest employees. There isn't a single person from the States that picks up their credit card phone calls and there is no point in having an authorized user because they don't want to talk to them, and they can't handle anything. Beyond nasty.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We received a call from a Citibank representative requesting payment for a bill. Following a series of haranguing, blatantly racially insensitive remarks about the pronunciation of our name and how we were not the "cultural types" of customers Citibank usually deals with based on our last name, we asked to be transferred to another representative so we could substantiate our bill and the deactivation of our cards. The insensitive individual persistently refused to transfer us and finally pushed us off with a comment, "We will come after you and keep on you!!!"

The next two representatives were no better than the first character, as they too continued the haranguing attitude, going so far as to refuse answering our billing questions with rogue responses such as "Why are you calling us? What is your reason for calling us? We don't get it. Why are you calling?" Actually, we were the ones who received the call from Citibank and we wanted answers to our bill and why Citi suddenly deactivated our cards for no rational reason (We should have foreseen Citibank's messy accounting and operations when we first encountered its horrid, shambled website: The website fails in both user-interface design and proper functionality when trying to view or pay bills).

We were customers for close to five years if not more with overall good payment history. This crudely operating company suddenly and without notice left us stranded when we tried to use our cards to pay for groceries and gas. There is even graver concern that this company endorses, i.e. hires and retains, apparently hordes of associates who resort to threats and racially targeted attacks against consumers. We are staying with a more viable financial institution with whom we've had relations going on several decades; we have terminated any and all relations with Citibank.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

If you deposit a check by phone you have to wait 7 days before the money is available even though check has been already clear. Of course nobody inform you about this before opening an account. There is no such a issue in other banks.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

If 0 stars would be available I would give it to Citi Bank credit card customer service! Paid off my card, lost it one day and called, reported it lost. After 2 years I see 174$ balance. I call them to ask where is it from. They cannot even answer. They direct me to collections department. Always had bad experiences with them and that's the reason closed my card permanently not to deal with them!!! The worst customer service ever!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I opened a Citibank account last May, they sent my account info to my old address not my current address. They knew the current address was where everything was supposed to go. My ex-husband wound up getting my account info and tried to use my account. So I opened a different Citibank account. On 12/26 I made a cash deposit and was only credited 20 of an over 300 deposit. Nobody can tell me what is going on other than I need to wait the 10 days for provisional credit. Well the ten days is up today and they are telling me I still have to wait because in their end the 10 days isn’t until tomorrow. That is all they will tell me. They will not let me speak to the person in charge of this investigation or give me any updates regarding it. I’m starting to feel like Citibank just saw an extra couple hundred in their ATM and decided to keep it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I ordered some personal checks from Citi ONE MONTH ago, called 3 times to ask the status, and I have NOT received anything even up to now. Today I called again, and Citi told me a mistake occurred and they NEVER actually placed an order for the check. I was like WTF??? It has been a month, every time I called, they told me it is on the way, and by the time I need to use it, Citi says they never placed the order. The check fee was deducted one month ago already!!! It REALLY sucks!!! I wasted so much time on this simple request to get personal checks. Citi sucks! I am leaving this stupid place!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I opened a promotional offer in July which offered a bonus award of $400 if I kept $15,000 in a checking account for 150 days. The 150 days was up on December 10, but I have not received the $400. Three bank employees in two different branches have opened disputes files but nothing has happened. I opened the checking account at the Laguna Hills, Calif. branch. The manager is involved in this dispute but she is incapable of solving the problem.

I give this bank a zero rating, and I've gone to another branch to ask for help. The banker there made a good faith effort to solve the problem, but to no avail. It is now 25 days after the money was due and nothing is happening. I've filed a complaint with the CFPB and with the Federal Reserve Consumer Help bureau. And have written a letter to Michael Corbat, CEO of Citibank. Situation look hopeless. I regret the day I got involved with Citibank. Besides this problem, it is almost impossible to get anyone on the phone, and their website leaves much to be desired.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

If you are lucky enough to actually find a contact number for the right department you have made a great start. After being kept on hold for ages you get a representative who you can’t understand because all you here is crackling. Three transfers later you get an extremely rude person who you wind up getting very frustrated with as they are reading from a script and are reluctant to transfer you to a supervisor. You then find you are charged for something you never purchased and are apparently overdue because you never received a statement and could never question the transaction. Oh by the way this is after I had closed the account and shredded the card. You will then out of frustration pay the amount.

Just to get rid of them. After you pay it they then tell you that you will be charged one days interest on an extremely small amount of money. I would estimate about eleven cents. Try and get a notice from them that your account is closed, good luck with that. I also have a major problem with other departments specifically air miles. They just took away 60,000 miles as I had not used the card, yet the other department tell me they are charging overdue because I never made a payment. Go figure. I just lost those as well for no apparent reason.

A company I used to work for deposited a substantial amount of money with them in the form of an IRA. I have been trying to retrieve that now for six years! It is impossible to get this amount and will probably have to pay an attorney to get it which will wind up costing me more than it’s worth. All in all stay clear of this bank, and by the way they do not have a branch in the state of Arizona. Stay away from them.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Quite disappointed with my Citibank experience. I opened checking and savings accounts a couple of months ago but have multiple issues since then, including: 1. After opening a checking account, I had to call them to "activate" the check writing feature. 2. Sending money from Citi to my wife at another bank was blocked multiple times. Every time I had to spend 30+ minutes on the phone. 3. Calling for support they ask way too many questions to get access to the account. Just overall very disappointing experience, and I'm leaving this bank and going back to my old bank as soon as I'm finished with this review.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have been a member for over 8 years, and have no issues until last week. I had made an external transfer to another account for 50k. I was charged insufficient funds fee of $34 even though there were sufficient funds in my account. I called the Citibank customer service, and they could not find my account, using my SSN, DOB, name, etc. They asked me to go to nearest branch and this was after 45 minutes on the phone with customer service.

I went to branch and of course, they could not find my account. Took them 30 minutes to find my account, even though on my mobile app showed the account in question. I asked them why I was being charged insufficient funds fee, the brand rep was puzzled as well. She called the 'back office' to reconcile the charges and to figure out why I was being charged. She was transferred at least 7 times over 1.5 hours. I kid you not, I was sitting there while I heard the incompetent people in the back office told her they had no idea. It got to the point where after 7-8 transfers, they wanted to transfer my branch rep back to someone she already spoke with. It was then when I decided to take the $34 as a loss, and close my Citibank account.

I went home, and decided to call Citibank again to try to reconcile this 34 dollar charge. However, I was on hold for 1.5 hours AGAIN. They opened up a case for me and Citibank refused to refund the insufficient funds charge even though I had more than enough funds in my account. It is absolutely outrageous that they would treat a customer this way, and that they would do nothing to try to keep a long term customer. DO NOT BANK WITH THEM!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! I MEAN, WHAT KIND OF BANK CAN'T FIND AN ACTIVE ACCOUNT???

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg