3.6/5 (794 ratings)

About Citibank

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

I have had an online savings account for over a year. Poor service but tolerated. Attempted online sign on. Told I must enter my debit or credit card number with Citi. I don't have such a card from Citi nor do I want one. Called 3 different customer service numbers (India) no help. They insist I be mailed a debit card (5-7 days) to access my online account. I wish to do a wire transfer of funds TODAY. Shockingly there is no human mechanism at Citibank to accomplish. I must wait for the debit card to arrive, register it online and then maybe I will again have online access where I am sure I will encounter more issues to transfer my $. I am going to close the entire account.

Do not deal with Citi in any fashion. They have no branches in most states, mine (Alabama) included. Chat and telephone customer service are worthless (after waiting 30 minutes on hold). Even when I could access online account I was only allowed to transfer $10k per day and $15k/mo. It is my money. This is a bank. I need immediate access to my funds. That is what a bank is supposed to give you. Citi - avoid.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

I switched from a bank to Citi...& transferred money & they're making me wait 5 days to access my funds. Stay away from Citibank. They're Trash!!! I will definitely be closing the account once my funds clear!!!! Never again Trash!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

After signing up for a Citibank Interest Checking with a 50K funding and promo to receive $700 after 90-days, then waiting several months after the 90-days, then calling Customer Service to inquire, calling again, and calling again (1-2 hrs per call). I found that the folks on the call were not listening and more or less working through a state-diagram. A case was ultimately opened, and I was promised to receive in mail the outcome. This did not happen. Another call was made, another 2-hours wasted. The escalation path takes you to another powerless representative.

In the end, Citibank claims that I had another account open at the time of promo. When we dug into this, it was an account from five years ago, which I requested be closed, however Citibank did not close the account but instead put it in a hold status with $0.22. There is not log-in or feedback for this, and TMK the account has been closed all these years. As the promo stipulates no active C.B. accounts in the previous 180-day period, I'm left having obtained near $0 interest over the past nine months on 50K and also no promo. Insult to injury is the 7-8 hours on the phone over the previous 4 months. I will never again make this mistake with this company. I hope others don't have to experience a similar, unbelievable experience.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

On September 16th 2022 I lost my Costco CitiBank Credit Card in Riverside, Ca. I IMMEDIATELY called city bank and informed them of my situation. I DID NOT want anyone to make unauthorized purchases on my card. (I was PROTECTING citi bank.) I spoke to a customer rep. who in turn handed me over to another woman. I was grilled for over 30 minutes by her in order to make sure that I was the card holder. (Overkill) I informed her that I needed to have a replacement card the next day as I had prepaid my three days at two hotels plus gas expenses. (PREPAID $ 525.00.) She assured me that I would receive my new card at my daughter's address.

Saturday came and went and I called Sunday morning only to be told that they would mail me a new card Monday or Tuesday. By this time I had spoken to at least 5 customer service reps. Everyone told me how SORRY they were. It is now Tuesday night the 20th and no credit card. On Monday the 19th I was informed by a supervisor that he would IMMEDIATELY send me a check for the prepaid balance and I would receive my new card by Wednesday. The customer rep that I just spoke to this evening the 20th just informed me that my refund request needed to be reviewed first and that would take 7-10 business days. 7-10 business days to return money that DOES NOT belong to them. I have never ever had such a terrible experience in my life. I WOULD NEVER do business with Citi Bank. I protected them and they refused to be there for me. I cannot believe all the LIES that they told me.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

On July 21 2022 I was a victim of fraud. I'm from NYC. Someone went into a Florida Citibank and withdrawal $4,966 from my account from the teller. I never authorized anyone to do so. I never gave anyone my card. I never been to that part of Florida let alone the branch. I also been doing everything possible to do what the fraud department tells me. Sign every paperwork and all physically in my branch bank. I have had to sign the same page several times because the fraud department claimed they never received it from the bank and I have proof that the bank said they sent everything over.

The fraud department said they never got it. I signed it again weeks later only to find out they closed my claim due to incomplete processing. I went to the bank again and signed the affidavit again. This time the bank employee stayed on the phone and emailed the affidavit only to find out they had to start my claim all over again. Can someone please help me cause the amount of pain and suffering and stress from a bank I entrusted in keep my money safe is not helping me much. I AM DEFINITELY CHANGING MY BANK ONCE I GET MY MONEY BACK.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I had a promotional cash bonus pending and the representative at the Downey Location switched the account and now Citibank is denying $300 bonus for keeping a certain amount of money in the account for over 6 months! The promotion was for only 90 days and this bank ruined it. Do not to fall for this scam!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

I was interested in opening a checking account with bonus, offered by mail I received. The Citibank agent opened a checking account which was the opposite of what I asked for despite of multiple request. I went to the branch and branch manager stated that he would contact the service center in Rancho Park. Promised to fix it in 10 days, I didn’t hear back from him so I went to bank again and he said that he didn’t remember me and he needs to start again. Lack of customer service and uneducated branch manager compromise the safety of their service. I wonder how possibly these unethical people with lies are handling customers' money. They need to reevaluate managers of bankers before hiring them.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

My wife and I opened an account here 1 WEEK AGO. They gave us cards that have no CVV so in order to make online purchases we had to transfer money that we had deposited into our old bank accounts from other banks. They froze our account with all of our money in it saying it was detected as fraud (there was no email regarding suspected fraud until days after they froze it), and then today they closed our account with absolutely zero warning saying they'll mail us a check with our funds in it. We moved here from out of state and needed that money to live, is this place serious? The only two transactions that ever came out of that account was to transfer it to accounts that are also ours, this might be the worst bank in existence and I would never let anyone I know use this bank.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

If the lender for a loan I need uses this clown service of a loan agency, I don't even bother. I already know when I read Citibank as the lender that I am not approved for some ** reasons. I can get loan elsewhere with no issues, heck even have a credit card, but can't get approved for anything through the circus. I needed tires for my vehicle for winter, I have a 2yr old and no help, I was denied because of citibank. Really hope they'll do everyone a favor and go out of business.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

Updated on 09/17/2022: I had reviewed Citibank once before on Consumer Affairs and I gave them a very poor rating. I have since amended my original opinion. I had two merchants put unauthorized charges through on my debit card. I called Citibank the same day. I spoke to their Disputes Department. On the first dispute, they sent me paperwork in the mail and asked that I provide more details and then send it back to them by a certain date. This took about a week, first my reception of the Citibank paperwork and then my sending it back by the requested date. I noticed that a bank credit in the amount of $100 had shown up on my bank account yesterday.

For the second unauthorized charge, they blocked my debit card and issued a new one. They sent it Federal Express and I had it the very next day. They also informed me that I would receive paperwork in the mail from the Dispute Department in a few days and that I should fill it out giving more details and send it back by the requested date. I also have the option to email the information to them, using the email address provided in the paperwork. I have no doubt they will get my other $100.00 back. The customer service people were sympathetic to what had happened to me and were eager to help me resolve the issues.

Original Review: If I could give this bank 0 stars, I would. I received an email from a merchant informing me that they intended to take automatic debits from my Citibank account of $100 starting September 3. This was on Monday, August 29. These debits were NOT authorized by me. I tried calling the company for two days and when I would dial the number, it would disconnect. My attorney, who will begin handling my financial affairs September 5 recommended that I call Citibank and put a permanent stop payment on the merchant. So five days before the first debit was scheduled to be taken, I called Citibank customer service and put a stop payment on the $100 debit from this particular merchant. I received an email confirmation from Citibank the next day and they had spelled the name of the merchant incorrectly, but I thought it was a typo and didn't concern myself.

On September 3, I logged into my Citibank account and $100 had be debited by this merchant. Furious, I called Citibank and was patient, explaining that they had let it go through and asking why. I could barely understand the customer service representative and the phone connection was garbled and very poor since it was overseas. He told me he could not guarantee that they could reverse the charge, but a provisional credit would be put in my account. He also recommended that I get a new debit card with a different number as this merchant had used the debit card information I had used when I made one payment to them in August, but then informed them my attorney would be handling all future payments starting in September. The merchant knew, but set up automatic debits anyway. I told him to block my current card and issue a new one.

I thought the problem was at least partially solved, as the merchant couldn't debit my account $100 anymore. I received an email from Citibank the next day informing me that my new debit card was being Fed Exed to my old address, even though I had informed Citibank of my new address and cellphone number when I moved nearly 3 weeks ago. They still had the old address and had not updated it. I called Citibank and explained that they had not updated my address and cellphone number and the representative insisted that to change it and send another debit card Fed Ex to my current address, he would have to send me a one-time passcode to my old cellphone number.

I patiently explained that I no longer had that number so he couldn't text me a one time code to that number. He told me to go online, log in and change my address and phone number in my profile, then call back, they would send a code to the new number and then another debit card would be sent out to the correct address. When I attempted to log in, the message I got was that Citibank had to send a one-time passcode to my old cellphone number to make sure it was me logging in. I called Citibank back, spent a frustrating hour trying to get this resolved and finally lost my temper, asking to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor picked up, but then the call disconnected, either he hung up on me or the poor phone connection disconnected the call. I called back and finally got a customer service representative who knew what she was doing.

She listened without interruption as I explained what had happened, asked me three questions to verify my identity, changed my address and phone number and told me a new debit card would be issued and as a courtesy, sent expedited shipping to the new address, but probably wouldn't go out until Tuesday due to the Labor Day holiday. It has been my experience with Citibank that most of the customer service people haven't got a clue as to what they are doing or simply don't care. I have called and someone will pick up and say that they are updating their systems and to call back in two hours, hanging up immediately, not giving me a chance to respond. I have had ONE good experience with their customer service people, that being the woman who changed everything for me without insisting she had to text a code to my old cellphone number.

Take my advice - find another bank. Citibank doesn't care about their customers. I am going to close my account as soon as the pending charges on my account either clear or drop off. I will go to the branch to close it, and the nearest branch is very far away, but I don't trust Citibank enough to let my new bank link the accounts so they can transfer the funds from Citibank to my new bank, especially after the numerous one star reviews of Citibank I have read on here.

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor