1.17/5
Based on 54 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Green Bay, WI

62 Associated Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

In January, 2018, I opened a checking account with Associated Bank. I chose Associate because there was a branch within two blocks from my home, which provided easy access to my account. I was also excited about being able to choose a MasterCard debit product that allowed me to support a local institution. Today, May 22, 2018, I received a certified letter from Associated Bank, notifying me that according to the terms of the deposit agreement, any Associated Bank account could be closed, at any time, without providing reason. Because of this stipulation within the deposit agreement, my account is going to be closed.

I contacted customer “care”, and was told that there was no documented reason for the account closure, the account was just being closed, basically because Associated Bank could close the account, if they choose to. I argued that I have maintained direct deposit. I have not overdrawn my account. I have been responsible with this account. The response from customer care was basically “oh well.”

When talking with the customer care agent, I asked what reasons were generally used for Associated Bank taking these actions. I was told that sometimes, it’s due to breach of security, or the potential for fraud activity, or because an excessive amount of cash was being deposited. However, the customer care representative stated that just by looking at my account, he could see that the usual reasons for closure were not present, and so this baffled him, as well. This event has been extremely disappointing, and quite honestly, traumatizing. I’m beginning to wonder if banks are to be trusted. Upon reading the other reviews of Associated Bank, on this particular website, Perhaps, it’s time for people to start keeping cash in their mattresses again.

Original review: May 21, 2018

When their online payment system changed recently, when a user goes to pay the bills online they select the payee, payment amount and then it gives them the option to send the money. After you hit the send button it takes you to the next page, ideally at this page it should confirm but you get a blank page. If you are not aware that it is asking for a confirmation and you close the browser your payment is not sent.

I got 25 dollars click charge from Credit card company and interest because payment did not go through because I did not realize that the stupid system is displaying anything, it was hidden because it takes you at the bottom of the page and the confirmation verbiage is at the top that does not display. Called customer service on 5/20/18 at 8 PM and talked to Katelyn, her response was, "We can't do anything. You should have verified." If your system works properly and displays properly this would not happen and it is still happening after month of your IT upgrade, you have an incompetent IT team that does not know how to program so get some good help.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have used Associated since I was 15 years old, the past 7 years. I have opened a checking, savings, and two credit accounts through them. I have lived overseas for the past 3 years and trying to deal with online services is absolute hell. I have continuously had issues with direct debit payments and have time and time again been charged late fees because my direct debit fails to work. When I was recently back in America, I got everything sorted by going into a teller and resolving the issues with Associated and their credit company. I was told there will be absolutely no more issues with paying my credit cards off through my bank account. Less then a week after leaving the USA, I received notification that two cards had been cancelled because no payments had been made since November (the month it all started to stop working).

Luckily I got it sorted over the phone after about 3 hours on and off hold. I continue to have direct debit issues and am copping late fees for THEIR mistakes. Very pissed off and currently having to pay the lump sum of my credit card off so I can cancel all of my accounts with Associated. My family consists of 6 people and we have all gone through their services only to cancel within a few hours as it is terrible. Absolutely horrible services and uneducated workers don't help their situation. This is only ONE of my issues I have had very recently. I won't begin to tell you all the rest... disappointed for such a large and professional chain. Would NOT recommend! Save yourself the trouble.

Original review: April 2, 2018

At issue is the auto setup feature with Bill Pay. If Associated has a business on file, they DO NOT show the address to the customer. This is alarming and just WRONG. How does the customer know for a fact that the bank has the correct address OR the address required by the business, which could be different than what is on file... Another POOR business practice by this bank.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Several years ago I took out a home equity line of credit when I purchased my home. At the time I was told that my loan would be a traditional loan and definitely not an interest only loan which I was very clear I did not want. I noticed over time that nothing seemed to be coming off of my principal, and I went to the bank and called to have this explained to me, and each time I was told it would take longer for me to see that happen, after paying off almost the full amount of the loan I realized that this was in fact an interest only loan and that I had been lied to.

I went to the bank and asked for an explanation and if they would ever advise their own mother to take out a loan which would eventually cost me over $120,000 for a $40,000 loan. This bank is trying to ruin my credit because I will not pay this. You should run from this bank and never take a loan from them. I had an account with him for the longest time and was loyal customer, and in the end I was duped.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Associated Bank?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

02/26/2018 the online banking application was down over the weekend. When released it was full of bugs. Had to hold for customer service for more than 30 minutes. Duh!!! Why were they not fully staffed for such an event?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

While applying here, they have do a 120 questionnaire with some of the most pointless drivel that there is. Thank you for wasting my time with an automated e-mail saying that I did not have experience. A company that is 3.3/5 doesn't deserve to have a questionnaire that long.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Spoke to "Mike" a member of the "management team". He wasn't willing to resolve the issue of completing or even looking at an insurance claim check I dropped off at their downtown Hudson location 3 weeks ago. The "Insurance Department" is holding our check to pay our contractor. First because they needed paperwork, now their saying the numbers don't match. Which the insurance company gave us $200 more for our claim. No one has ever contacted us. We have had to contact them each week, just to find out there is yet another a hang up with the check.

Each time we contact them, another issue arises. I don't think they quite understand what they're doing. When I was a branch manager of a large credit union in WA, we never had issues like this. We took care of the member right away. Apparently Associated doesn't care about the homes they mortgage, in turn we were not able to get our gutters fixed before the snow fell. No resolution here. I knew we should have stuck with a credit union. They care about their members and want to make sure the homes they mortgage are in safe condition. We will be refinancing our home, just to get away from the bank. Don't buy into the idea that a medium size bank will take care of you. Low price closing costs are not worth it!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

As a member since 2003 I found out TODAY that I've been being charged $11.00 a month since 2015, with no notification. I went to make a withdrawal as that was my "emergency fund" to find out it was a negative balance of $4.00. No help, just basically told, "we must have emailed you". I have just begun to share this with everyone, BBB, my senator, and everyone I come in contact with.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

What I don't like about this bank is that they overdrawn when you never give them permission to. I'm on a fix income I can't afford be paying all those late fees and plus 7 dollars a days except weekends and holidays. So I'm trying to close my account. It look like I'm going have to find a lawyer to see if I can get this resolve.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

I have had nothing but headaches with Associated Bank. They have been "pending" my transactions for 5 to 6 business days. Shouldn't take that long, then when they do send it thru they slap on the $11 service fee a month for just having the account and if you don't have the $ in there they overdraft you. I live directly across the street from the bank and it takes a week to get a notice in the mail to let you know you are overdrawn, by then they add more charges until you pay it. The order of my check card is different all the time. I can use my check card in the morning and they sometimes send it thru without pending then right after they will send thru a check card purchase at same place from 2 weeks before.

The last few months I will check my account balance at night it will say I have x amount of $ in the available balance. Then I will check it in the morning and I'm negative that same amount and nothing else has gone through. There is more stuff going on but this is the basic I'm starting with. I will be closing my account asap. Also if any lawyers are reading this please help all of us customers who have been taken advantage of AGAIN from this bank. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

Absurd practices. Please avoid this bank at all costs, they will gouge you every chance possible to get OD fees. I am suspecting a class action lawsuit in their future and I'm reporting them to the BBB. Bank at your own risk, your money is safer in a tin can left on your porch overnight.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016 I have had an account at Associated for the past 21 months. Until this past month I have had no noticeable issues with their practices. However since then I have had two overdrafts where I would have had enough in my account to cover the charges but the bank didn't subtract my money until it would overdraft me. For most people it would be relatively simple to pay the charges but I work mainly cash jobs while writing my novel and therefore can't afford to constantly pay their charges.

When I have tried to contact the bank to figure out what is going on, they have given me the typical "Sorry..." and then ended the call. Class action lawsuit would be welcomed because this is destroying people's lives slowly.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I would advise any customers of Associated Bank to post their overdraft fees to reflect how much this bank makes from its customers. In a month's time, I was charged $175.00 in overdraft fees. I am closing my account with them and I, in my current position of employment, have suggested our new customers to use the bank as it is local in Middleton, Wisconsin. Including the subpar app on mobile devices, do not... I repeat, DO NOT USE ASSOCIATED BANK AS YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION, unless you simply want to give your money away.

Stop GIVING your money away, especially if you are a single parent, hard working American. They care not about their customers. Who has $175.00 to just give away when you have a hard time even providing for your family...and I have two jobs! Go anywhere but Associated Bank. I will continue to post this UNTIL there is a significant change or drastic drop in members who patron this financial institution! DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM... your hunger in juxtaposition to their greed will be enough! $175.00 from me in a month's time is horrible!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

All of my accounts with Associated Bank were closed after I inquired about the overdraft charges on my debit card. Associated Bank employees at the branch location on Snelling Avenue in Saint Paul, Minnesota supported the closure of my accounts by asserting that I engaged in misconduct at the bank. A fabrication. As an attorney, I am considering a class action lawsuit against Associated Bank. In 2013 Associated Bank settled a class action lawsuit by agreeing to change its debit card charging practices. I read the amended settlement agreement and settlement agreement signed by Associated Bank. The debit card practices used with my accounts in 2015-16 were the same practices Associated Bank agreed to change in 2013. My recommendation is to contact a law firm that does class action litigation and seek legal advice on how to recoup your losses and change Associated Bank's practices.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

The last year, this bank will deposit checks between the hours of 11 pm and midnight, then overdrafting my account. When inquiring about these they state they don't timestamp their withdrawals. I live 45 mins away from the bank, if a check goes through I'll drive the 45 mins and deposit the money. But lately they deposit them at absurd times. One time I wrote a check at 5:45 pm, they tried saying the check went through the same night. Impossible, it was a private dentist. Awaiting the lawsuit!

Original review: July 29, 2016

Offer most things you would expect from a bank, but take absolutely any opportunity they can to pilfer money from your accounts. There is a hefty charge for nearly everything. I learned after making several withdraws from "no-fee" ATM's that Associated was actually charging me $4.00 to use a machine that's not theirs. Most banks that respect their customers reimburse them for ATM fees. But with Associated, if you want to withdraw from an ATM with a $4 fee, they will still charge you on top of that, making it an $8 fee just to withdraw money from your own account. What's worse, I just went in to have a cashier's check made out so I could make a down payment on a car. "That will be 8 dollars please." $8 to write a check!!! The deal fell through, so now I need to write a new check, so that's $16 dollars for a service that any respectable bank wouldn't think to charge its customers for.

Original review: July 9, 2016

I have had my checking account with Associated since 2001 and through the years the bank has just gotten worse. It does not value its customers but love to take their money in fees and then call it a "one time courtesy" if they refund one out of many. I wanted to close my account but couldn't because I was disputing a charge that the bank paid from an online scam. But during the time I wasn't using my account I was charged a fee for not having direct deposit and then ultimately they concluded the dispute and wanted the money back that they initially credited. But soon I will be able to close my account and be done with this bank and their terrible customer service and constant taking of people's money in fees.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2016

We recently found our checking account to be over drafted by 1900.00. I have never even heard of such a thing. A few hundred I could understand but 1900.00 and not one notice to let us know and THEN Associated bank's corporate security team had the nerve to accuse my husband and I of committing fraud together. My husband has never broken a law in his life, much less bank fraud against an account that we regularly deposit at least 1500.00 in to every 2 weeks. Am I the only one who thinks this is insane? Here we sit completely broke with Associated Bank calling us crooks because they allowed a debit card to be activated and used unbeknownst to us. And then to make us feel like criminals on top of well BARRY at associated bank... Go ** yourself. We will call the police on your bank for allowing this to happen!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2016

After 23 years of using Associated Bank, I will be gone soon. Some years ago they stopped allowing the local branches to contact customers with issues (branches just sell services and attempt to sign you up for more services) and moved communications to corporate. Now, customers will get 0 notification of issues until after they arise. 4 years ago I set up an electronic payment of 2.5 times the minimum amount requested to pay for a loan. The payments were scheduled 1 week early each month until Associated Bank cancelled the payments (money was in the account to cover it all) and did not attempt to notify me. Months went by and the first I learned of it was when an attorney sent a letter.

During this time Associated Bank placed late payments on my credit report (I have never had a negative payment reported on my credit report before this). Associated Bank refuses to repair the issues and says it is my problem. Be very careful if you wish to be a customer of Associated Bank. They are no longer a small, friendly, hometown bank that is willing to work with you when problems arise. They will pour on the fees and then report negative credit while placing blame on you.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

Unfortunately... that's the catch phrase of Associated Bank's customer service. They're at it again after they paid out a $13 million class action law suit in 2012-2013 for charging their loyal customers with countless overdraft fees. This is the way they do business. Go elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2015

Associated Bank has charged me thousands of dollars in overdraft fees and they have been fraudulently doing so. They closed my account without telling me because I told them this is exactly what they were doing and I am wondering who else they are doing this to? I am waiting for a class action lawsuit so I can join as this is the same thing Chase Bank was doing and had to return millions of dollars to their clients.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

If I could give ZERO STARS, I would!!! I noticed an $11 service fee on my online statement. I don't look at this account too often as it is no longer my primary checking account. I opened the account in 1997 before I went to college and kept it open for sentimental reasons, I suppose. When I called in to speak to someone about the fees (which took forever since the IVR system never tells you how to get through to an actual person) and inquired about them, I was told about how I could avoid them and how it helps them maintain and service my account. I have not asked for any "service" in years nor have I even set foot in on of their branches!

Every answer I received was "I'm sorry, unfortunately..." and I finally asked to speak to a manager. I was told I was speaking to a manager (what kind of call center has "managers" taking front-line calls?) and there was no one else available to assist me. This was one of the worst customer experiences I have ever had and will be spending my lunch hour cancelling my account. I should have done it long ago! Credit unions for this guy going forward!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

I have had multiple instances where my card has been declined for no sensible reason. I call customer care and they say they are very sorry, but there is nothing they can do and I have had to get my card reprinted twice. I'm going to be switching banks very soon.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

I have been a loyal Associated Bank customer for over 20 years now and the deceitful practices they have incorporated are unbelievable. Even after they paid out 13 mil in the 2013 class action lawsuit regarding overdrafts, they have now just put a new twist on deceitful ways to collect money from customers. One of them is now charging monthly fees unless you keep a continual minimum checking balance. But on top of it, they don't physically put the service fee charge through until the 8th. However, they make it retroactive back to the 6th of the month so they can bounce your account and create overdrafts if anything went through between the 6th and the 8th.

It takes them forever to 'un-pend' transactions especially deposits yet they don't hesitate to 'un-pend' debits as quickly as possible. How convenient huh? Anything to cause overdrafts to make money. I guess they have to recoup their losses somehow on their lost lawsuits for the $13 mil OD class action suit and the HUD $200 mil mortgage loan lawsuit. (The largest ever!) (eye roll) I, for one, will be switching banks real soon.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

I have been banking at Associated since they took over my bank when I was 16. I am 35 now. I just got a notice stating I would have to start paying an 11 dollars a month fee on Nov. 1st, unless I had monthly direct deposits of $500 dollars or more or kept a balance of $500.00 at all times. I am self-employed and so none of my deposits fit that criteria nor do I always have $500 in my account throughout the entire month. When I called to explain my situation the woman said "Oh sorry, I guess our checking options just don't fit you anymore". No suggestions on things I could do or willingness to brainstorm just "Oh I’m sorry". If this is how they have taken to treating long term customers I'm glad I'm closing my account with them and going to a credit union down the road.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2015

I have been a loyal customer with Associated Bank for 20 yrs. Now they are adding unreasonable fees to my account. When I spoke to the Branch Mgr. they couldn't do everything for free & run a business. That's bologna. They got a lot of bail out money and now they're just as greedy as all the other big banks. I'm switching to a friendly local bank. Screw you Associated Bank.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

We used Associated Bank to refinance our home and what we got was not a traditional mortgage but more like a consumer loan which has been fine up till we try to get a buy out amount for selling the property. In 2011 we had a buyer so there were appraisals done but the sale fell through. Currently we have a new buyer and are set to close in 30 days. When the "new system" came online in August there were late fees listed for almost $900. We called and they could not tell us what they were for, we have no late fees, penalties and our account is in good standing. Same fees showed up in September and now they are saying there are charges for the appraisals done in 2011.

How can they bill us for something we assumed was covered 4 years ago because we never got an invoice or a bill and it never showed up on our account at the time of service? Of course, they expect these fees to be paid at the time of closing the sale of this house. I feel like they should have to wait 4 years to get paid. Bad form, Associated Bank. Bad form.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

Tired of all the fees, $11 a month for just having an account. Majority of ATMs don't fall under fee free. $35 overdraft fee for every transaction even if over by just pennies. Highest interest rates I've seen of all banks; can go to a Credit Union and get 1-2 percent lower. Basically if you don't want your money taken from you monthly, go somewhere else.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

I have a son who is disabled yet works very hard at a local restaurant that was set up by DVR when he was in high school as a IEP plan. Associated Bank is charging him 140 for 4 checks less than ten dollars each. Yet paid a 200 check!!! This is on a student's acct. Let's try to get a class action suit? And I have been client for 32 years.

Associated Bank Company Information

www.associatedbank.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business