1.13/5

Green Bay, WI

76 Associated Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 8, 2019

In December 2018, a teller mistakenly credited my entire January payment to my escrow account. I was not entirely surprised as they have often seemed confused in the past as to where to apply my payment if it is during the grace period of the month before. I have been through hours of phone time, letter writing, and branch visits explaining the situation and following up to make sure this didn't show as a late payment.

Even with all that, my tax statements were wrong and I had to wait for a correction. I came up with the solution of closing the escrow account to avoid the possibility of this mistake in the future. I asked to have the fee waived as a gesture of goodwill for all I had been through and was denied. I am seeking another lender as I no longer trust Associated Bank, nor do I believe they value my business.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have a loan for $200K with $500K of real estate for security. On many occasions, I had the opportunity to sale a individual parcel. Associated Bank will not allow this this to occur until my loan is in "good standing". Words are everything- forget about attempting to deal with a real- experienced Banker- those days are long gone. I have past due real estate taxes, I just can't make payment BUT a sale would reduce my principal and pay ALL of MY taxes. AND yes, let's not forget about the 5% penalty for late mortgage payments. I will find another mortgage and break away from Associated. I will continue to spread the truth regarding this bank. Associated will not release anything- they love my monthly payment and I do feel they want me to fail.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

My husband has had 2 accounts through Bank Mutual; one personal, one small business. We were happy with the bank until it became Associated. We began getting charged $18/month for the business account. The personal account started getting overdrafted because online it told us we have money available. We'd go spend whatever amount and then all of a sudden something else will appear that should've for through days ago and he'd be overdrafted!! We closed the personal account and just kept the business one after being overdrafted on multiple occasions.

Now this is the 4th week in a row that has been overdrafted. This has gotten out of control. He refused the overdraft protection because he would prefer to be declined rather than charged. But they apparently omit a charge(s) on the account until there isn't enough funds to cover it. We are paying hundreds of dollars a month in overdraft fees when the transactions should have been denied. Through my research this has been an ongoing issue with this bank. We are looking into a class action lawsuit. I'm sure there are MANY others experiencing this.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We have had a mortgage with Associated for 1 year. Our taxes went down substantially due to a lower purchase price than assessed value. We were refunded quite a bit for the over collected excess escrow, then 2 months later our escrow was increased by $99/m. Not a big deal but it should not go up if rate is fixed, tax and insurance goes down/stays same. I asked them to recalculate the escrow and paid the regular monthly amount. We got several notices saying no payment had been received. Three times I went in to the branch, even wrote out a separate check for the $99 escrow they said I owed. Come to find out recently our credit was dinged because they reported us 30 days past due because of this. But no late fee, thanks Associated.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We banked through them 15 years. Had a mortgage with them and home equity line. Out of the blue they sent us a letter saying they were closing our checking account! We called and said they didn’t need to give a reason and were very rude any time we called with questions. Never again will I deal with a company like this and they now have lost good customers who never had overdrafts and bills paid on time!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Associated Bank?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

In November 2016 I began communications with a loan officer to renew a commercial loan maturing on February 10, 2017. New loan documents were not provided to me until March 12, 2017, over a month after maturity of the loan, and included a prepayment penalty of 5%. Too late to find other financing. Despite requesting terms earlier, they were not provided. The Customer Care department to file a complaint is useless. Trying to get an email address or mailing address for the CEO is impossible. My experience with Associated Bank is that I was treated unethically. My father had two loans that resulted in the same during the same timeframe. Get a loan anywhere else!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My checking account should have been closed in October but never was. I just found out that my old job paid me a substantial amount of money and I cannot get all of it back. Because they did not follow through with their job I have incurred almost $150 in overdraft fees in which they will only refund half of. This is not the first time they have taken my money from me either!! Do not use them unless you want your money to disappear.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Associated Bank become my mortgage company after purchasing our loan. This bank has subpar online and app tools that make normal everyday banking easier and safer. Keep all of your records and copies of your payments, they are constantly losing or miss crediting payments in an attempt to charge late fees.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I was shocked and concerned to see the number of reviewers complaining about Associated Bank’s practice of charging numerous questionable fees. I refinanced my home with them a few years back and had no problems until this past September, when for some mysterious reason they failed to receive either my monthly mortgage payment or a payment I made to cover an escrow shortage, which I mailed to them in two separate envelopes and paid out of two separate bank accounts (and these two checks somehow were the only two checks I mailed in for bill payments that didn’t get to the intended target.)

The customer service rep I spoke to told me he would waive the late fee for my mortgage payment and that I could make payments for the two bills via the phone and recommended that I stop payment on both checks, but then assigned check numbers to the phone payments that were identical to the check numbers on which I was stopping payment. When I expressed concern about that, he assured me it was not a problem, that the “phone payment check number” would be treated differently from the paper check number.

Thankfully, I stopped payment on only one of the checks because, as it turned out, it WAS a problem, and my bank refused to honor the phone payment because the number on the check was the same as the number assigned to the phone payment. As a result, another late fee was assessed by Associated Bank, which I was told they would also waive but which keeps showing up on my monthly statement. Reading the other reviews, I can’t help but wonder if the bank is purposely playing games with my account in order to charge fees. I am now making it a point to make my mortgage payment in person at the bank and get a receipt because I have no confidence that it will be posted properly if I pay it either by mail or online. Did anyone pursue a class action against this bank recently? It’s worth looking into.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Been dissatisfied with them since the Bank Mutual Merger this summer. $1 monthly account service fee is now $11/mo. They can't properly execute an electronic check costing me additional fees 2 out of the 2 times used. I execute a half a dozen withdrawals and deposit transactions a month so no real services performed. Having a physical location within three miles? Not useful as I work during all their limited banking hours. I use a proper investment broker so no need for that service. Do not have any debt either so no need for their loan department. I've switched to online Ally Bank which meets the requirements for a 21st century bank account user, charges zero fees for my simple transactions, requires zero minimum balance, AND pays me a small interest rate each month. Perfect fit for my needs and even better than Bank Mutual had been!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Well, this just never seems to end with this bank. I was the first customer with this bank when they came to our town in Elgin, IL & after many years they began to take advantage of me starting with my savings acct. & charging fees so I closed it. Then it was my credit card with them & their high APR so I closed it. Now they're screwing around with 1 of my 2 checking accounts & claiming that I suddenly after 2006 that I now have to pay a fee if I don't keep a $2,500 min. bal. Seriously? I've had these accts. for years & personal checking acct. as acct. #** & have never been told I need to keep a min. bal. after all these years & now suddenly have to pay a fee.

I've chatted online with them twice & got nowhere & in fact the gal just cut me off. I even went into the local bank here in our town & got nowhere there either. I'm just wondering what the heck happened to this bank? It also appears from posting on here & FB I see that I'm not the only unsatisfied customer? I did call their customer service again today & got nowhere once again & they couldn't explain why my acct. suddenly out of the blue after over 12 years suddenly now has a min. bal. fee required on my acct.???

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Not small business friendly. Since switch from Bank Mutual $15/mo fees for balances under $2500 x 2 accounts + $3/mo for paper statements x 2 accounts = $72 for two months, Ouch! Wouldn’t refund those fees for me either. Closed my account and went to free business accounts at Midwest One.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

So I have been an Associated Bank customer since 2017. I have had this ongoing issue with the bank authorizing transactions when the funds aren’t currently available. I have recently moved out of the Wisconsin area and had just kept this account until I got a new bank set up. So my paychecks would clear and I'd withdraw the money and give it to my boyfriend for bills. I log into my account I have not used for almost 2 weeks and see I’m negative almost 200... How? I have not used this account.

Well I had a few things from online process I had not updated with my new account number and they processed WITH A ZERO BALANCE!!! How is this an ok business practice??? I can understand one transaction because I did have a few bucks remaining but 5 transactions! That should not have happened. Needless to say I will be calling after work! And issuing a huge complaint and hopefully they will remove the fees at least. It is my fault for not updating my account info, but the transactions should not have been approved regardless.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We bought our condo many years ago and financed it through Associated Bank. Several times after posting the payment the automated system didn't apply anything to the Principal Amount. I called many times and never got a straight answer even from their managers. Because of that my mortgage barely goes down and this is what it looks like for the last month. It doesn't make any sense. They also increased the monthly amount without sending us a letter. If there are any lawyers out there who would like to start a class action lawsuit, please do! I guarantee that I am not the only one!

Original review: May 23, 2018

In January, 2018, I opened a checking account with Associated Bank. I chose Associate because there was a branch within two blocks from my home, which provided easy access to my account. I was also excited about being able to choose a MasterCard debit product that allowed me to support a local institution. Today, May 22, 2018, I received a certified letter from Associated Bank, notifying me that according to the terms of the deposit agreement, any Associated Bank account could be closed, at any time, without providing reason. Because of this stipulation within the deposit agreement, my account is going to be closed.

I contacted customer “care”, and was told that there was no documented reason for the account closure, the account was just being closed, basically because Associated Bank could close the account, if they choose to. I argued that I have maintained direct deposit. I have not overdrawn my account. I have been responsible with this account. The response from customer care was basically “oh well.”

When talking with the customer care agent, I asked what reasons were generally used for Associated Bank taking these actions. I was told that sometimes, it’s due to breach of security, or the potential for fraud activity, or because an excessive amount of cash was being deposited. However, the customer care representative stated that just by looking at my account, he could see that the usual reasons for closure were not present, and so this baffled him, as well. This event has been extremely disappointing, and quite honestly, traumatizing. I’m beginning to wonder if banks are to be trusted. Upon reading the other reviews of Associated Bank, on this particular website, Perhaps, it’s time for people to start keeping cash in their mattresses again.

Original review: May 21, 2018

When their online payment system changed recently, when a user goes to pay the bills online they select the payee, payment amount and then it gives them the option to send the money. After you hit the send button it takes you to the next page, ideally at this page it should confirm but you get a blank page. If you are not aware that it is asking for a confirmation and you close the browser your payment is not sent.

I got 25 dollars click charge from Credit card company and interest because payment did not go through because I did not realize that the stupid system is displaying anything, it was hidden because it takes you at the bottom of the page and the confirmation verbiage is at the top that does not display. Called customer service on 5/20/18 at 8 PM and talked to Katelyn, her response was, "We can't do anything. You should have verified." If your system works properly and displays properly this would not happen and it is still happening after month of your IT upgrade, you have an incompetent IT team that does not know how to program so get some good help.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have used Associated since I was 15 years old, the past 7 years. I have opened a checking, savings, and two credit accounts through them. I have lived overseas for the past 3 years and trying to deal with online services is absolute hell. I have continuously had issues with direct debit payments and have time and time again been charged late fees because my direct debit fails to work. When I was recently back in America, I got everything sorted by going into a teller and resolving the issues with Associated and their credit company. I was told there will be absolutely no more issues with paying my credit cards off through my bank account. Less then a week after leaving the USA, I received notification that two cards had been cancelled because no payments had been made since November (the month it all started to stop working).

Luckily I got it sorted over the phone after about 3 hours on and off hold. I continue to have direct debit issues and am copping late fees for THEIR mistakes. Very pissed off and currently having to pay the lump sum of my credit card off so I can cancel all of my accounts with Associated. My family consists of 6 people and we have all gone through their services only to cancel within a few hours as it is terrible. Absolutely horrible services and uneducated workers don't help their situation. This is only ONE of my issues I have had very recently. I won't begin to tell you all the rest... disappointed for such a large and professional chain. Would NOT recommend! Save yourself the trouble.

Original review: April 2, 2018

At issue is the auto setup feature with Bill Pay. If Associated has a business on file, they DO NOT show the address to the customer. This is alarming and just WRONG. How does the customer know for a fact that the bank has the correct address OR the address required by the business, which could be different than what is on file... Another POOR business practice by this bank.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Several years ago I took out a home equity line of credit when I purchased my home. At the time I was told that my loan would be a traditional loan and definitely not an interest only loan which I was very clear I did not want. I noticed over time that nothing seemed to be coming off of my principal, and I went to the bank and called to have this explained to me, and each time I was told it would take longer for me to see that happen, after paying off almost the full amount of the loan I realized that this was in fact an interest only loan and that I had been lied to.

I went to the bank and asked for an explanation and if they would ever advise their own mother to take out a loan which would eventually cost me over $120,000 for a $40,000 loan. This bank is trying to ruin my credit because I will not pay this. You should run from this bank and never take a loan from them. I had an account with him for the longest time and was loyal customer, and in the end I was duped.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

02/26/2018 the online banking application was down over the weekend. When released it was full of bugs. Had to hold for customer service for more than 30 minutes. Duh!!! Why were they not fully staffed for such an event?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

While applying here, they have do a 120 questionnaire with some of the most pointless drivel that there is. Thank you for wasting my time with an automated e-mail saying that I did not have experience. A company that is 3.3/5 doesn't deserve to have a questionnaire that long.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Spoke to "Mike" a member of the "management team". He wasn't willing to resolve the issue of completing or even looking at an insurance claim check I dropped off at their downtown Hudson location 3 weeks ago. The "Insurance Department" is holding our check to pay our contractor. First because they needed paperwork, now their saying the numbers don't match. Which the insurance company gave us $200 more for our claim. No one has ever contacted us. We have had to contact them each week, just to find out there is yet another a hang up with the check.

Each time we contact them, another issue arises. I don't think they quite understand what they're doing. When I was a branch manager of a large credit union in WA, we never had issues like this. We took care of the member right away. Apparently Associated doesn't care about the homes they mortgage, in turn we were not able to get our gutters fixed before the snow fell. No resolution here. I knew we should have stuck with a credit union. They care about their members and want to make sure the homes they mortgage are in safe condition. We will be refinancing our home, just to get away from the bank. Don't buy into the idea that a medium size bank will take care of you. Low price closing costs are not worth it!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

As a member since 2003 I found out TODAY that I've been being charged $11.00 a month since 2015, with no notification. I went to make a withdrawal as that was my "emergency fund" to find out it was a negative balance of $4.00. No help, just basically told, "we must have emailed you". I have just begun to share this with everyone, BBB, my senator, and everyone I come in contact with.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

What I don't like about this bank is that they overdrawn when you never give them permission to. I'm on a fix income I can't afford be paying all those late fees and plus 7 dollars a days except weekends and holidays. So I'm trying to close my account. It look like I'm going have to find a lawyer to see if I can get this resolve.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

I have had nothing but headaches with Associated Bank. They have been "pending" my transactions for 5 to 6 business days. Shouldn't take that long, then when they do send it thru they slap on the $11 service fee a month for just having the account and if you don't have the $ in there they overdraft you. I live directly across the street from the bank and it takes a week to get a notice in the mail to let you know you are overdrawn, by then they add more charges until you pay it. The order of my check card is different all the time. I can use my check card in the morning and they sometimes send it thru without pending then right after they will send thru a check card purchase at same place from 2 weeks before.

The last few months I will check my account balance at night it will say I have x amount of $ in the available balance. Then I will check it in the morning and I'm negative that same amount and nothing else has gone through. There is more stuff going on but this is the basic I'm starting with. I will be closing my account asap. Also if any lawyers are reading this please help all of us customers who have been taken advantage of AGAIN from this bank. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

Absurd practices. Please avoid this bank at all costs, they will gouge you every chance possible to get OD fees. I am suspecting a class action lawsuit in their future and I'm reporting them to the BBB. Bank at your own risk, your money is safer in a tin can left on your porch overnight.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

I have had an account at Associated for the past 21 months. Until this past month I have had no noticeable issues with their practices. However since then I have had two overdrafts where I would have had enough in my account to cover the charges but the bank didn't subtract my money until it would overdraft me. For most people it would be relatively simple to pay the charges but I work mainly cash jobs while writing my novel and therefore can't afford to constantly pay their charges.

When I have tried to contact the bank to figure out what is going on, they have given me the typical "Sorry..." and then ended the call. Class action lawsuit would be welcomed because this is destroying people's lives slowly.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I would advise any customers of Associated Bank to post their overdraft fees to reflect how much this bank makes from its customers. In a month's time, I was charged $175.00 in overdraft fees. I am closing my account with them and I, in my current position of employment, have suggested our new customers to use the bank as it is local in Middleton, Wisconsin. Including the subpar app on mobile devices, do not... I repeat, DO NOT USE ASSOCIATED BANK AS YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION, unless you simply want to give your money away.

Stop GIVING your money away, especially if you are a single parent, hard working American. They care not about their customers. Who has $175.00 to just give away when you have a hard time even providing for your family...and I have two jobs! Go anywhere but Associated Bank. I will continue to post this UNTIL there is a significant change or drastic drop in members who patron this financial institution! DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM... your hunger in juxtaposition to their greed will be enough! $175.00 from me in a month's time is horrible!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

All of my accounts with Associated Bank were closed after I inquired about the overdraft charges on my debit card. Associated Bank employees at the branch location on Snelling Avenue in Saint Paul, Minnesota supported the closure of my accounts by asserting that I engaged in misconduct at the bank. A fabrication. As an attorney, I am considering a class action lawsuit against Associated Bank. In 2013 Associated Bank settled a class action lawsuit by agreeing to change its debit card charging practices. I read the amended settlement agreement and settlement agreement signed by Associated Bank. The debit card practices used with my accounts in 2015-16 were the same practices Associated Bank agreed to change in 2013. My recommendation is to contact a law firm that does class action litigation and seek legal advice on how to recoup your losses and change Associated Bank's practices.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

The last year, this bank will deposit checks between the hours of 11 pm and midnight, then overdrafting my account. When inquiring about these they state they don't timestamp their withdrawals. I live 45 mins away from the bank, if a check goes through I'll drive the 45 mins and deposit the money. But lately they deposit them at absurd times. One time I wrote a check at 5:45 pm, they tried saying the check went through the same night. Impossible, it was a private dentist. Awaiting the lawsuit!

Associated Bank Company Information