Green Bay, WI

3.8/5 (99 ratings)

About Associated Bank

Associated Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Associated Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Associated Bank?

Original review: April 29, 2020

The whole process of Financing was slow and receiving Payment notices- late to due date, and then recording them late in system when I mailed the check prior to receiving coupon by 7 days of the 1st of month. And not applying the cash received to mortgage, is uncalled for. They don't have an answer to why this happened.

Original review: March 20, 2020

While everyone I have encountered at Associated Bank is friendly, their method of record keeping seems different than most banks or credit unions, and is poor. I check my account online daily, making sure my balance agrees with their's. There are frequent discrepancies, which I have never had a problem with at other financial institutions. For example, yesterday when I compared balances, Associated Bank's balance was $56 less than mine. I went over my records, and could not find a mistake, so I made a note of the discrepancy. Today when I checked my account again, the amount they list has changed, even though there aren't any anew transactions. Today the balance is $34 over my calculations. Perhaps tomorrow it will be accurate. This happens frequently. It has always reflected accurately eventually, but it makes it worrisome while waiting for that to happen.

Original review: March 13, 2020

Have had great experiences with paying the loan. Interest rate is okay, but could be better. Will be trying to get it lowered soon. Only problem I have had is lost payments in the mail, have gone to larger envelopes to see if that problem goes away.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Once again I was charged fee’s because “pending” withdrawals hit my account on the same day that “pending” deposits hit but since withdrawals post first it shows as overdrawn. Thieves, bank anywhere else!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I have been a customer of this bank and its predecessors for over 50 yrs. Their online banking through Quicken is terrible. Sometimes Quicken can download transactions and sometimes not. Four times in the past year I have experienced this problem. Calling customer service puts you in a queue that sometimes is 40 calls ahead of you. Their IT people obviously lack the knowledge and they don't call you back to help solve the problem. I am looking for a different bank.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Left me stranded in a city park after work, without gas to get home or money to eat (since early morning), thanks to some buffoon mistakenly putting a hold on my funds (a mistake the bank had admitted night before, promising renewal of the money that morning). Bank's admission on tape. But didn't get the money back until after half a dozen increasingly irate and desperate phone calls. But amazingly, this is not even the end. Bank apologized and, in my opinion, paid me to keep this quiet. It had been resolved peacefully. But then local bank manager, Mr. Matt **, opened the old wound, belittling the experience and demeaning me by claiming it couldn't have happened the way I said (even though he wasn't even involved; how would he know?). Bank CSR not more than 15 mins later confirmed that I was right, proved by the phone tapes. So, waiting for a promised apology.

They further contrived a cover story, also meant as a subtle smear in case this goes public, that my voicemail was full so they couldn't reach me. Even if true, bank customer-service said their first "reach out" attempt came Dec. 9 -- three days after I sent them an email saying time was up, I am sharing my story with the world since you won't apologize. It took me 15 mins to get to the bottom of this via phone, why does it take you a full week (and I don't even work for the bank!). An apology after an ultimatum is, by nature, insincere.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Worse bank ever. After being a member for over 40 years had my sons saving account (I am custodian) hacked and lost $800. Bank said withdraws were authorized and would not replace the money. I did not authorize withdraws! Now my sons debit account was hacked and $250 were lost. All online purchases. Again bank says withdraws were authorized and will not replace the money. My son did not authorize or make the purchases. Seems to be deny, deny, deny and screw people out of their money. Will be taking all monies out of associated bank! Hope they rot in HELL for the crooked banking policies!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Between the rude customer service agents, the completely inept fraud and overdraft process, and dishonest branch managers, I finally had enough of Associated. I do not recommend doing business with them, ever.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I have been trying to close on a home since August and I have had my closing date changed 4 different times because of underwriting dragging their feet on my loan file. I not the kind of person that likes to get people in trouble but I called one of the head people in charge of mortgages to try and get this resolved. I will never ever use this bank for anything. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

The people, in bank and on-line are superb and friendly. They know how to use both their heads and computer systems quickly and efficiently. I have been banking at Associated Bank for a number of years, through many changes and three attempts at stealing from my account, without success. I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Associated Bank has been my bank since I was 15. Last week my online banking was hacked and fraudulent checks were submitted to my account. I right away went to the bank and was working with a lady to get it fixed as fast as I could. The checks were signed by some Glenn dude. They were from Buffalo New York, I live in Wisconsin. Today they decided to say that I was at fault and I must have gave someone my information so I could no longer be a customer there. This bank is absolute **. I did all the steps to fix this problem right from the get-go. Before the checks even bounced. Before the bank even got notified about the fraud. And they have the nerve to accuse me and ban me from Associated Bank. Nobody should bank here.

Original review: July 25, 2019

The Associated Bank branch in Lake Geneva is staffed by inept personnel. Now for the second time in 2 years, the Branch Manager has failed to return a call following my in-person visit to see if AB could match Capital One's IRA rates. Once again, the Branch Manager has apparently forgot my request and now I'm up against a time window where I have to make a decision of where to move the monies. The first time this happened, I called the home office in Green Bay. Then all of a sudden, I get a call from the Manager stating she forgot my inquiry. Apparently, History does repeat itself! Capital one offers CD's with a 12 month deposit at 2.3% and there is no minimum!

Original review: April 8, 2019

In December 2018, a teller mistakenly credited my entire January payment to my escrow account. I was not entirely surprised as they have often seemed confused in the past as to where to apply my payment if it is during the grace period of the month before. I have been through hours of phone time, letter writing, and branch visits explaining the situation and following up to make sure this didn't show as a late payment.

Even with all that, my tax statements were wrong and I had to wait for a correction. I came up with the solution of closing the escrow account to avoid the possibility of this mistake in the future. I asked to have the fee waived as a gesture of goodwill for all I had been through and was denied. I am seeking another lender as I no longer trust Associated Bank, nor do I believe they value my business.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have a loan for $200K with $500K of real estate for security. On many occasions, I had the opportunity to sale a individual parcel. Associated Bank will not allow this this to occur until my loan is in "good standing". Words are everything- forget about attempting to deal with a real- experienced Banker- those days are long gone. I have past due real estate taxes, I just can't make payment BUT a sale would reduce my principal and pay ALL of MY taxes. AND yes, let's not forget about the 5% penalty for late mortgage payments. I will find another mortgage and break away from Associated. I will continue to spread the truth regarding this bank. Associated will not release anything- they love my monthly payment and I do feel they want me to fail.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

My husband has had 2 accounts through Bank Mutual; one personal, one small business. We were happy with the bank until it became Associated. We began getting charged $18/month for the business account. The personal account started getting overdrafted because online it told us we have money available. We'd go spend whatever amount and then all of a sudden something else will appear that should've for through days ago and he'd be overdrafted!! We closed the personal account and just kept the business one after being overdrafted on multiple occasions.

Now this is the 4th week in a row that has been overdrafted. This has gotten out of control. He refused the overdraft protection because he would prefer to be declined rather than charged. But they apparently omit a charge(s) on the account until there isn't enough funds to cover it. We are paying hundreds of dollars a month in overdraft fees when the transactions should have been denied. Through my research this has been an ongoing issue with this bank. We are looking into a class action lawsuit. I'm sure there are MANY others experiencing this.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We have had a mortgage with Associated for 1 year. Our taxes went down substantially due to a lower purchase price than assessed value. We were refunded quite a bit for the over collected excess escrow, then 2 months later our escrow was increased by $99/m. Not a big deal but it should not go up if rate is fixed, tax and insurance goes down/stays same. I asked them to recalculate the escrow and paid the regular monthly amount. We got several notices saying no payment had been received. Three times I went in to the branch, even wrote out a separate check for the $99 escrow they said I owed. Come to find out recently our credit was dinged because they reported us 30 days past due because of this. But no late fee, thanks Associated.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We banked through them 15 years. Had a mortgage with them and home equity line. Out of the blue they sent us a letter saying they were closing our checking account! We called and said they didn’t need to give a reason and were very rude any time we called with questions. Never again will I deal with a company like this and they now have lost good customers who never had overdrafts and bills paid on time!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

In November 2016 I began communications with a loan officer to renew a commercial loan maturing on February 10, 2017. New loan documents were not provided to me until March 12, 2017, over a month after maturity of the loan, and included a prepayment penalty of 5%. Too late to find other financing. Despite requesting terms earlier, they were not provided. The Customer Care department to file a complaint is useless. Trying to get an email address or mailing address for the CEO is impossible. My experience with Associated Bank is that I was treated unethically. My father had two loans that resulted in the same during the same timeframe. Get a loan anywhere else!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My checking account should have been closed in October but never was. I just found out that my old job paid me a substantial amount of money and I cannot get all of it back. Because they did not follow through with their job I have incurred almost $150 in overdraft fees in which they will only refund half of. This is not the first time they have taken my money from me either!! Do not use them unless you want your money to disappear.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Associated Bank become my mortgage company after purchasing our loan. This bank has subpar online and app tools that make normal everyday banking easier and safer. Keep all of your records and copies of your payments, they are constantly losing or miss crediting payments in an attempt to charge late fees.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I was shocked and concerned to see the number of reviewers complaining about Associated Bank’s practice of charging numerous questionable fees. I refinanced my home with them a few years back and had no problems until this past September, when for some mysterious reason they failed to receive either my monthly mortgage payment or a payment I made to cover an escrow shortage, which I mailed to them in two separate envelopes and paid out of two separate bank accounts (and these two checks somehow were the only two checks I mailed in for bill payments that didn’t get to the intended target.)

The customer service rep I spoke to told me he would waive the late fee for my mortgage payment and that I could make payments for the two bills via the phone and recommended that I stop payment on both checks, but then assigned check numbers to the phone payments that were identical to the check numbers on which I was stopping payment. When I expressed concern about that, he assured me it was not a problem, that the “phone payment check number” would be treated differently from the paper check number.

Thankfully, I stopped payment on only one of the checks because, as it turned out, it WAS a problem, and my bank refused to honor the phone payment because the number on the check was the same as the number assigned to the phone payment. As a result, another late fee was assessed by Associated Bank, which I was told they would also waive but which keeps showing up on my monthly statement. Reading the other reviews, I can’t help but wonder if the bank is purposely playing games with my account in order to charge fees. I am now making it a point to make my mortgage payment in person at the bank and get a receipt because I have no confidence that it will be posted properly if I pay it either by mail or online. Did anyone pursue a class action against this bank recently? It’s worth looking into.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Been dissatisfied with them since the Bank Mutual Merger this summer. $1 monthly account service fee is now $11/mo. They can't properly execute an electronic check costing me additional fees 2 out of the 2 times used. I execute a half a dozen withdrawals and deposit transactions a month so no real services performed. Having a physical location within three miles? Not useful as I work during all their limited banking hours. I use a proper investment broker so no need for that service. Do not have any debt either so no need for their loan department. I've switched to online Ally Bank which meets the requirements for a 21st century bank account user, charges zero fees for my simple transactions, requires zero minimum balance, AND pays me a small interest rate each month. Perfect fit for my needs and even better than Bank Mutual had been!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Well, this just never seems to end with this bank. I was the first customer with this bank when they came to our town in Elgin, IL & after many years they began to take advantage of me starting with my savings acct. & charging fees so I closed it. Then it was my credit card with them & their high APR so I closed it. Now they're screwing around with 1 of my 2 checking accounts & claiming that I suddenly after 2006 that I now have to pay a fee if I don't keep a $2,500 min. bal. Seriously? I've had these accts. for years & personal checking acct. as acct. #** & have never been told I need to keep a min. bal. after all these years & now suddenly have to pay a fee.

I've chatted online with them twice & got nowhere & in fact the gal just cut me off. I even went into the local bank here in our town & got nowhere there either. I'm just wondering what the heck happened to this bank? It also appears from posting on here & FB I see that I'm not the only unsatisfied customer? I did call their customer service again today & got nowhere once again & they couldn't explain why my acct. suddenly out of the blue after over 12 years suddenly now has a min. bal. fee required on my acct.???

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Not small business friendly. Since switch from Bank Mutual $15/mo fees for balances under $2500 x 2 accounts + $3/mo for paper statements x 2 accounts = $72 for two months, Ouch! Wouldn’t refund those fees for me either. Closed my account and went to free business accounts at Midwest One.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

So I have been an Associated Bank customer since 2017. I have had this ongoing issue with the bank authorizing transactions when the funds aren’t currently available. I have recently moved out of the Wisconsin area and had just kept this account until I got a new bank set up. So my paychecks would clear and I'd withdraw the money and give it to my boyfriend for bills. I log into my account I have not used for almost 2 weeks and see I’m negative almost 200... How? I have not used this account.

Well I had a few things from online process I had not updated with my new account number and they processed WITH A ZERO BALANCE!!! How is this an ok business practice??? I can understand one transaction because I did have a few bucks remaining but 5 transactions! That should not have happened. Needless to say I will be calling after work! And issuing a huge complaint and hopefully they will remove the fees at least. It is my fault for not updating my account info, but the transactions should not have been approved regardless.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We bought our condo many years ago and financed it through Associated Bank. Several times after posting the payment the automated system didn't apply anything to the Principal Amount. I called many times and never got a straight answer even from their managers. Because of that my mortgage barely goes down and this is what it looks like for the last month. It doesn't make any sense. They also increased the monthly amount without sending us a letter. If there are any lawyers out there who would like to start a class action lawsuit, please do! I guarantee that I am not the only one!

Original review: May 23, 2018

In January, 2018, I opened a checking account with Associated Bank. I chose Associate because there was a branch within two blocks from my home, which provided easy access to my account. I was also excited about being able to choose a MasterCard debit product that allowed me to support a local institution. Today, May 22, 2018, I received a certified letter from Associated Bank, notifying me that according to the terms of the deposit agreement, any Associated Bank account could be closed, at any time, without providing reason. Because of this stipulation within the deposit agreement, my account is going to be closed.

I contacted customer “care”, and was told that there was no documented reason for the account closure, the account was just being closed, basically because Associated Bank could close the account, if they choose to. I argued that I have maintained direct deposit. I have not overdrawn my account. I have been responsible with this account. The response from customer care was basically “oh well.”

When talking with the customer care agent, I asked what reasons were generally used for Associated Bank taking these actions. I was told that sometimes, it’s due to breach of security, or the potential for fraud activity, or because an excessive amount of cash was being deposited. However, the customer care representative stated that just by looking at my account, he could see that the usual reasons for closure were not present, and so this baffled him, as well. This event has been extremely disappointing, and quite honestly, traumatizing. I’m beginning to wonder if banks are to be trusted. Upon reading the other reviews of Associated Bank, on this particular website, Perhaps, it’s time for people to start keeping cash in their mattresses again.

Original review: May 21, 2018

When their online payment system changed recently, when a user goes to pay the bills online they select the payee, payment amount and then it gives them the option to send the money. After you hit the send button it takes you to the next page, ideally at this page it should confirm but you get a blank page. If you are not aware that it is asking for a confirmation and you close the browser your payment is not sent.

I got 25 dollars click charge from Credit card company and interest because payment did not go through because I did not realize that the stupid system is displaying anything, it was hidden because it takes you at the bottom of the page and the confirmation verbiage is at the top that does not display. Called customer service on 5/20/18 at 8 PM and talked to Katelyn, her response was, "We can't do anything. You should have verified." If your system works properly and displays properly this would not happen and it is still happening after month of your IT upgrade, you have an incompetent IT team that does not know how to program so get some good help.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have used Associated since I was 15 years old, the past 7 years. I have opened a checking, savings, and two credit accounts through them. I have lived overseas for the past 3 years and trying to deal with online services is absolute hell. I have continuously had issues with direct debit payments and have time and time again been charged late fees because my direct debit fails to work. When I was recently back in America, I got everything sorted by going into a teller and resolving the issues with Associated and their credit company. I was told there will be absolutely no more issues with paying my credit cards off through my bank account. Less then a week after leaving the USA, I received notification that two cards had been cancelled because no payments had been made since November (the month it all started to stop working).

Luckily I got it sorted over the phone after about 3 hours on and off hold. I continue to have direct debit issues and am copping late fees for THEIR mistakes. Very pissed off and currently having to pay the lump sum of my credit card off so I can cancel all of my accounts with Associated. My family consists of 6 people and we have all gone through their services only to cancel within a few hours as it is terrible. Absolutely horrible services and uneducated workers don't help their situation. This is only ONE of my issues I have had very recently. I won't begin to tell you all the rest... disappointed for such a large and professional chain. Would NOT recommend! Save yourself the trouble.

Original review: April 2, 2018

At issue is the auto setup feature with Bill Pay. If Associated has a business on file, they DO NOT show the address to the customer. This is alarming and just WRONG. How does the customer know for a fact that the bank has the correct address OR the address required by the business, which could be different than what is on file... Another POOR business practice by this bank.

Associated Bank Company Information