3.6/5 (124 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Armed Forces Bank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Armed Forces Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armed Forces Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armed Forces Bank?

Original review: April 26, 2022

First off, they don’t even get a half of star. Been dealing with this bank since 2009, watched it slowly, then recently rapidly decline. Hidden fees unexplained about how the system updates, what time the system updates, who the system updates for? This is getting ridiculous. Posted vs pending transactions, 20$ fee, 60$ overdraft fee for the same item. Customer service is the worst in the banking industry, won’t let you close your account, wanting to charge you more fees, for something that has already cleared? Pending overdraft fee?? I'm thinking class-action lawsuit.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I transferred money from my other acct to AFB on a weekday, they transfer I made could not "post" until midnight. So since it was a weekend I had to wait until Tuesday to transfer the money. Oh, I couldn't transfer the money because I've already exceeded my transfer limit by 13 cents. I called customer service to conduct a wire from my OWN account and MY OWN money, the manager said they cannot override the limit so I had to wait for the following month...I had a 700$ loan with them, I made 16 $85 dollar payments, I still owed 540$ because those payments were for interests...my gosh!!!! DO NOT BANK WITH AFB.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2022

If you have a card stolen you will not be able to get in contact with them because they are closed weekends and holidays! I find one of the question for verification very wrong, seriously who the heck knows when a parent got their social security card, as many people have had their parents get it for them as a child!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with.

1 - Their app is clunky and crashes have the time. Their chat feature is horrible.
      2 - I can’t tell you how many times it blocks me when I’m trying to do something, and I have to call to unlock my account.
      3 - I’ve transferred money only to have it never show up or have to do so all over again.
      4 - Their customer service is subpar.
      5 - Trying to do anything with them is always a huge inconvenience!
      6 - They just finally now added Apple Pay in 2021…way behind the times!

7 - Finally, I ordered checks in November. Never received them, never heard from the bank on it. Suddenly in December I’m getting notices the bank sent me to collections. They never once contacted me!

Fed up and closing my account.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Went to Luke Air Force Base, Armed Forces Bank (AFB) branch to cash a Fidelity Investment Account check that I wrote to myself for $3000. Manager and senior manager decided AFB WOULD NOT CASH THE CHECK. Best I could do was deposit it and get cash in several day after it cleared. Obviously, I wanted cash immediately or I wouldn’t have travelled 30 miles to go to the brick and mortar bank. I have a checking account with AFB, have been a member of the credit union for maybe 40 years, am a retired Army officer with great credit history (near 800 credit score), plenty of money in my Fidelity account and just needed cash. Further, I view $3000 as a small amount of cash and did not expect AFB to give me any problem cashing this check. Much to my chagrin managers told me no to cashing this check.

I am appalled that AFB would behave in this manner, feel extraordinarily disrespected and angry that I wasted my time going to AFB for this matter. I’m sure I could have went to Navy Federal Credit Union and been treated better - and got the cash. I could have even electronically deposited the check in my account at USAA and had immediate access to the funds. As I told The manager, AFB is acting like a third rate Archaic institution that is not focused on the customer. Also, what financial risk is AFB taking in cashing this check. I believe it is near zero. The damage is done. I’ll never go to the Luke Branch again and I’m evaluating the process and pain of closing my AFB account.

Further, you can guarantee I’m not going to be a happy customer heaping praise on AFB. Additionally, about two years ago my cash card was compromised and AFB behaved like armatures in resolving the problem. This is the second compromise I’ve experienced. AFB NOT IMPRESSIVE. You militarymembers should avoid this marginal institution.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I started with AF Bank in 2001 and from 2001 until probably 2010 I was pretty satisfied with AF Bank. My satisfaction with this bank occurred from 2010 until 2021. Over a 24 year Army career, including many years overseas, we never had any problems with our checking account and I was always able to speak with a polite and knowledgeable customer service rep but that changed! Looking back on my 2 decade long experience I would say that the culture of the bank changed. I no longer believe that this bank is looking out for the "Armed Forces" and that they are more interested in charging fees.

My breaking point was on a recent phone call in which the customer service rep was literally reading from a script to essentially tell me that fees and overdraft protection is based upon a computer algorithm. There is simply no humanity and no acknowledgement of the millions of dollars that have been deposited into my bank account for the past 20 years. I am now very happy to call USAA home for my family.

Original review: May 6, 2021

This year has been awful for me. I am so thankful for the men and women of this business. Several time I have locked myself out of my phone. No problem (always there to help). Lately I have had attempts of people trying to take money from my account. The Armed Forces Bank personnel worked so very hard to help. To all of the personnel that have helped me. Thank You.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I do not write reviews often, but felt compelled to do so today. I became a member of Armed Forces Bank, on November 17, 2020. I spoke to Mark and Tammi. Both awesome representatives. The opening of my Access Checking and Saving went smoothly. I decided to open a Secured Credit Card the same day. It was processed so fast, that the credit card information appeared on my Credit report on 11/24/2020 and I received the card, later the same day. I kid you not!... I received a notification from Transunion advising Armed Forces Bank Secured Card had been added to my report and it had increased by 40 points. Thank you all so very much for your down to earth demeanor, professionalism and seamless account opening. Today is 11/25/2020. Happy Holidays.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I have been with AF Bank since 1996. Ever since they updated their banking system it seems things are not working properly. I have 2 negatives in less than a week. First I had a direct that was sent on 20 Aug and deposit that took until Sep 1 to post, mind you as of Sep 2 it was still in Pending status. So how it then posted on the 1st well you get the picture. This has caused a delay in me being able to send money to my wife overseas. I then just this morning see now an overdraft fee, I looked at all transactions. I had money up until now so I don't know where this is coming from. I am very unsatisfied. I sent a request to get an explanation as to why, so as of Sep 4 2020 I'm waiting for a response.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I have been with this bank for 30+ years. While I was in the military and moving between US and Internationally I didn’t really have any issues with basic banking needs. When I retired opened/added a business account. Worst experience ever. What business account does not have ability to do mobile deposits especially when there is only ONE branch office in all of Northern Virginia. I literally have to go into the branch to deposit money. Ridiculous.

I was still satisfied with personal account based on my limited need of just checking balances, searching transactions and bill pay. The business account continues to suck and as soon as the new bank I am switching too starts accepting new accounts (frozen due to COVID) I am out. But this “updated” mobile banking app is without a doubt the worst piece of trash I have ever seen. I can no longer see or search transactions. And they know it’s trash because they have set up a separate phone number just to field questions on the ineffective and basically useless app. So not only am I switching business account I am switching personal as well. I tried to wait it out based on their promise of “upgraded” mobile banking but if this is there idea of upgrade they are clearly incapable of keeping up with the times and I am so gone.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Armed Forces Bank Company Information