1.48/5

74 Armed Forces Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 1, 2019

No 24/7 customer service! Account lockout after-business-hours or on Sunday? New card problems or problems with debit card pin??? You get 0 customer service until you call their inept customer service reps the next business day! Sleep on the street if traveling and needing to pay for a Hotel room or fuel with this worthless bank.

Original review: April 29, 2019

This is the financial institution in Colorado Springs we use now for all of our home/financing needs. We'd done about 7 finance/re-finances with another institution, but when our banker there (Debbie **) left - so did we. Debbie's expertise in banking and in working with Veterans and Veteran's Programs is truly invaluable. She is the ONLY person we will work directly with now because we know that she will honestly ensure the best rates and terms. Period. Debbie is not only an expert in the banking and finance industry (especially Veteran's programs), she also has a heart of gold and seriously wants to help you find the very best deal for YOU. No upsells, no hidden points, none of that. Just honesty and transparency.

We've recommended Debbie to many of our friends (even in other States) and they have all been very happy with her. If you're in the market (or even shopping rates), call them and ask for Debbie! She'll be completely open and full-disclosure while finding the BEST deal for you. Find her at debbielaney.com which links directly to Armed Forces Bank.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Not sure why the reviews posted are a 1 or a two. My family and I have been with the AFB for 53 years this June. We have NEVER experienced any type of negative banking services. I have overseas nine times, from Vietnam, Germany, Saudi, Japan, Korea and 6 different States and never had any type of issue both CONUS and OCONUS. Our agent for our home, Melanie **, has been available for us each time we financed or refinanced a home and with her personal assistance we were complex and transaction within one week, again, both CONUS and OCONUS. No other banking can provide you that beat you deserve.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

ZERO STARS! WORST BANK EVER! They STOLE (lost) MY MONEY! DO NOT GO THROUGH THIS BANK! They are extremely disorganized and have no clue what they are doing. Long on hold times and then the agent ALWAYS has to go find someone that knows how to do what you asked, even for very simple things. They literally LOST my money (checking account), admitted it was their fault and then said there was nothing they could do about it. How the heck does a bank just lose money like that? How can they get away with this? Worse than that it was just a couple hundred dollars so I'd be in the hole if I sued. I'm going to try taking them to small claims court but I'm sure they have VERY good lawyers that will STOMP me.

Do not go through any of these banks either they are owned by the same company and probably just as bad as AFB: DICKINSON FINANCIAL CORP. II INC., DICKINSON FINANCIAL CORP., BANK MIDWEST, ARMED FORCES BANK, ACADEMY BANK., Armed Forces Bank of California, Southern Commerce Bank, Sunbank, and Fiserv, Inc.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I’ve had the same problems everyone else here is having. This bank is awful. Please do not use this bank ever. Wish I could send you guys a picture. They’re saying that my account is overdrawn because of previous purchases made like a week ago? This is the worst bank in the world, as a service member who was offered no choice in a financial institution when I first joined the army. This will not just end with a Facebook post??? All the instruments that the Armed Forces Banks equipped me was has set me up for failure from the beginning.

I was told by a supervisor there that over the weekend and Monday as a holiday nothing in the system is being updated. Now this is Tuesday night at 6pm when I called them and still they’re saying that it will be updated? These people can’t explain how my funds have been spent and when they’ve been spent? So in essence I had no money, my account information wasn’t being updated and they allowed me to overdraft while the app had my account in a positive balance, then charge me $58 in fees just to empty the account and told me that purchases I made a week ago are now being processed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armed Forces Bank?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I opened a credit card account last year at a branch in WA state and started having problems right away. I told the manager of branch I wanted card paid in full each month when due. It never happened and I got late fee. I contacted bank and told them to call manager of bank I opened the account to clear things up. They never did so I called again with each call lasting near a hour. They told me I had to go thru another dept. dedicated to credit cards but it would not let me set up my account. I called bank again and they set me up and refunded late fee. The next month they took out 2000 from my bank account to cover credit card.

The card statement I got said I deposited 138 that month so I am out 2000-138. I called again and they gave me the runaround. I am a disabled veteran and 2000 is a lot of money for me to lose. I called several times since then and nothing. I closed credit card account and am looking for another bank. There is nothing I can do about this theft. They said they don't do business that way but I am out money and the only recourse I can see is to go federal reserve to complain to them. This is the first time for me losing money to an incompetent bank. Last month I checked my account and seen my rent payment debited 3 times and another debited twice but it was taken care of before I called the next day. How does that happen.

They blocked my account because I brought some books from Amazon which were small amounts because it looked suspicious. This bank is bad news and I have been with it over ten years hoping they would clean up their act. The only reason I joined bank is because I thought with the name Armed Forces Bank I would get better service since I was 100% disabled vet. Do not open a credit card account.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. It seems like every couple of days I would have to call them usually to fix their mistakes. I was on the phone no less than an hour each time. Every time I would call I would be told something different about the same issue or their policies in general how they handle situations all of the above. I filed a dispute they told me it was received and being reviewed. I called several times about status. Was told I had to wait, 3 months later they tell me we never had a dispute filed. WHAT? And now it is too late to file it. They denied the dispute because it had been over 60 days. NO I have proof it was filed right away and this was a big amount too.

The company that took my money is a scam so they stole my money and the bank plays games so the scammer wins. One of the many problems I called about was my Business bank card. It never worked. Wouldn’t let me set up my pin or work in ATM. After months and months of calling and ordering new cards (15 new cards) waiting for new one to come to find out it didn’t work either someone at the bank figures out that they had the wrong code in so it would never work. He fixed it and wow problem solved. I finally get everything working correctly then I get a notice they are closing my accounts and won’t tell me why and no one at the bank knows why either. Because they are incompetent. They close my account. Like I said worst bank ever! And there is more too but I am out!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

This is the worst bank I’ve ever seen. My husband and I have had nothing but bad experiences with this bank. They’ll stole so much money from us. They’d charge us twice for the same thing and say it was the person who we’d purchased it from (how when this happen every single time we purchased something?) but luckily we started to screenshot whenever money was taken out. Their customer service is terrible. One lady canceled our 2nd card without our permission. This bank is absolutely terrible. RUN FAR FROM IT!!! Go to the credit union instead. This bank does not care about its customers.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Customer service is non-existent. They can never do anything you want them to do. I was promised a clear date and after the date past I called back to find out they can't do what I was told. People are incompetent and when you do transfer to supervisor their hands are tied due to some other system and they literally can't do anything. Worst banking experience I've had.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

This is the absolute worst bank I have ever had! The people that answer the phone can never do anything. They always have to transfer to a "specialist" (ya right) after explaining the reason for calling and going through verification. When "specialist" gets on the line finally you have to go through everything all over again. Waste of my time. I have had several issues with this bank so I wasted lots of time on the phone with them. Time is money for me. One of the many problems with this incompetent bank is they couldn't get my business bank cards to work. I would get a card and activate it and then to set up my pin it would tell me it couldn't process my request at this time. Call the customer service. I did this 10+ times getting new cards. The first 5 had nothing on the back. No ATM logos bank number nothing. But all of them wouldn't let me set up my pin. Super frustrating. I never bounced any check never had a customer check bounce or return.

I had a good history with my check deposits. They very rarely put a hold of my deposits anymore. I was so optimistic about my banking history I called to apply for a auto loan and they told me they were closing my account. In total shock I asked why and they would not tell me why. All they would say is they don't have to tell me why and they have decided to close my account.

I needed to get my money out of my account so I called again to try to get my card working. After talking to 3 people I finally got Austin (the only employee with a brain that I dealt with). I told him about my card troubles. He put me on hold and when he came back he said my card was fine as I have been told that along with many other wrong info. I put him on hold and tried to set my pin and WOW it actually worked all this time and frustration FINALLY! I finally get it fixed and they are closing my account UNBELIEVABLE! Austin said it was a pretty obvious fix at least obvious to him. Why couldn't anyone else figure this out? Since Austin seemed to know what he was talking about I asked him about why my account was being closed. He said he could not see any reason why my account would be closing. He didn't see anything wrong. So WTF.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

There is NO 24/7/365 Customer Service. Massive issues with Account Lockouts. Live Customer Service is NOT 24 / 7 365 as stated! BEWARE NOT TO OPEN ACCOUNT HERE. 1-888-929-BANK (1-888-929-2265). Massive contacting Armed Forces Bank period!

Original review: March 3, 2018

Is Armed Forces Bank match.com? So my husband asked me to make a transfer to his account. No problem. Super easy right? Ha. Well I call the bank and get this agent. I always say this word for word "hi this is David. I'd like to transfer to my husband's linked account." Obviously the agent can figure out our orientation. So he goes into all this small talk I'm not about to write it all down. But he kept asking me if I wanted to call or text him and that he could totally hook us up with a trip to Puerto Rico because that's where is husband is from.

Say what? What kind of service is this from my bank? Like dude, no I don't want your number. He gives me it anyways. >.> he's like totally call me. Umm yeah sure man. Then he starts asking all these personal questions about our work and what we do (They can see our employer info) so I sideswipe the question and only say what I do for work but not anything specific. Then he starts reading off all my personal info kinda as if he is memorizing it or something. I'm telling you, this conversation was way off. It's hard to explain it in text. I was so freaked out at the violation of privacy that I just got off the phone as fast as possible. This is a very surreal situation for us. He knows all of our personal info, probably better than us, and yeah... Not good. What kind of bank allows this to happen to it's "valued" customers. I am appalled.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I’ve been on hold with this bank for 7 hours for TWO DAYS and they won’t budge. One day my direct deposit is pending in my account and the day it’s supposed to come... POOF, IT'S GONE. These people won’t help at all!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I've banked with AFB for 17 years. I did this because I was in the military for 22 years and they were open when the PX was open so the hours suited me. They always take money out quickly and never deposit money on time, so as to try to stick you with overdraft fees. Since I've retired (in 2012 with 22 years in DOD Army) they tell me that DFAS does not require that they deposit my retirement checks by the 1st of the month. Therefore it is always after a long weekend or especially holiday weekends. This also suits them as most of us live from paycheck to paycheck and need the money no the 1st of the month. They never take your word for any transaction even though I've banked with them for almost two decades. They always take the side of the business no matter how many complaints have been posted about the company.

They will list preauthorization's 20 to 30 times so as to confuse you and take your money anyway even if you have disputed the charges before they were paid for. They hire untrained and uneducated people to handle the phone, making customer service a joke. They cancelled my account in the middle of the month once because I told them that if they didn't fix my issue (which was black and white) I was going to cancel my account. They cancelled it without my knowledge making any/all checks I wrote after that overdrafts. One was for my mortgage!

Recently I let my grandson use my debit card to buy an online computer game card. The company they dealt with was so corrupt that they charged me a membership fee (every month for two months until I caught it) and then charged me a return fee when they (begrudgingly) reimbursed his original charge. I finally stopped my DFAS retirement check from going to them and will cancel on the 1st of Nov so they don't have the fun and luxury of retribution by closing my account in the middle of the month. They are hostile to say the least and as far as bank loans go FORGET ABOUT it... They offer a 70% home loan! Gee you do the OU come up with the 30% they won't cover. Done with them and happy to never have to deal with or hear from them again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I had money erroneously put into this account which I haven't touched in over a year. Not only did they freeze my account without even making sure I was aware of the situation they also charged it off to collections and I had absolutely no idea. They charged my account for 28.75 for a collections "fee" and then charged me 20$ to have money in this account wired to another account my USAA checking.

The money got put into this account from me being on SAD orders when I was activated to go to Texas and help with the relief. Their customer service was absolutely horrible and every single time I spoke to someone it was ALWAYS a different story as to why they charged me all these crazy fees. Please whatever you do stay AWAY from this company! They're absolutely horrible and offered little to no resolve for my issues. They either wanted me to open another account with them, or wait 10-14 business days to get my check (from my SAD orders from being activated)... Please stay far away from this company as possible!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Switching my bank is long overdue. Please don't open an account here. I have had several really bad experiences with this bank. The first really bad experience was when I was in Kuwait and needed to wire money to someone. The person helping me didn't ask what amount I wanted to wire and automatically wired the amount I had sent the last time. Instead of fixing the problem the person then wired the correct amount not deleting the first request. The next day when I called to complain the only thing they offered was to remove the wire transfer fees. They said to recover the money wired I would have to speak with the person I sent the money to... ummm thanks?

So they cost me $800. Several times their app said I had money in my account and the next day I had overdraft fees. I called to order checks. I requested no address be put on the checks. After trying to order the checks 2 times they were sent... with an address on them. I called and requested they didn't accept any deposits into my account after I received an email stating money was going to be sent to my account. I didn't want the money to be deposited because it was a scam. Even though I called them they allowed the money to be deposited. The last thing, I have had my bank account compromised several times. They have not caught it once. I caught it looking at my mobile app. I don't know why they ask for all of my contact information every time I call them. They will never call you. They will let someone empty your account. Please do yourself a favor and get an account with USAA.

Original review: April 1, 2017

Stop putting blocks on my debit card! Third time on the customer service phone today. They have locked my debit card repeatedly for Amazon purchases, despite saying they unlock it. They say they cannot fix it. So tired of it, and WILL BE getting a local bank account rather than dealing with this terrible bank anymore. No benefits to it.

Original review: March 9, 2017

This is probably the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I've been on hold for 45 minutes today and haven't spoke to anyone. And yesterday for an hour and a half and still wasn't able to speak to anyone. They suspended my account and I can't get a hold of anyone to help. Definitely will be canceling my card ASAP.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

We have never had a bank account with Armed Forces Bank. Yet we got a random letter in the mail (to the wrong address that we haven't lived at for over a year) stating that our account was overdrawn $1,079.16. We have called them a few times about this, but they claim it was us, so they're not even researching the issue. And how does an account even get that far overdrawn? We can't log in to the account because we never had an account. They won't discuss with us anything, because we can't confirm anything, but they won't remove the charges or find out who really opened this account. Very bad business practices and horrible bank. I am glad I've never had an account with them! This is just downright horrible.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

My wife tried to reorder checks for my checking account. So she went to the local branch at JBLM. They told her she had to go online to order the checks. I am deployed overseas so I was unable to talk to anyone in customer service because they were not open after I tried to order the checks online unsuccessfully due to my inability to log on to my account. I went to customer service webpage and scrolled down to "ordering new checks"; there are three ways: you can log on, you can call, or you CAN GO TO YOUR LOCAL BRANCH!!! Given my inability to get my checks ordered I am rating this bank very poorly in customer service. Frustrated.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

They have poor practices. How is it that your call center is open until 5 on Saturday and no one is available Sunday but you can block someone’s card over the weekend? What's worse is that I never even used the card so I'm not sure why they did it. And yes the account had money to cover the purchase. What happens is the customer is left without a card on a weekend. What if I had went on a trip? I would've been stranded. Now I have no money for food or gas until Monday. Also, I closed an account with them and had a remaining balance which they said would be mailed to me as a check.

Almost one year (closed Feb 2016) later and I still never received the check. When I called about it back in November 2016 they put me on hold for 30 minutes and then came back saying they weren’t sure what happened but they would have a manager call me the same day. Once again AF Bank's customer service speaks for itself. Next time you want to block a customer’s card for suspected fraud at least call them up and notify them. Even an automatic text or email would suffice.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

On December 28th, 2016 I deposited a large check into my account. I was assured that it would only take 5-7 days to clear. It is now 1/6/2017, nine days later and the check still has not cleared. I contacted Customer Service today and they couldn't understand why it was taking so long. They put me on hold for over 45 minutes to call the bank in Chesterfield, MO that I deposited my check in to see what was going on. I was informed that it is the local bank's choice to put the hold on it and to take it off and the manager was trying to get the regional manager to call her to get approval to release the funds to me.

They assured me that they would call me back. Guess what, the bank closes in 10 minutes, no callback and the funds have not been released into my account yet. When I deposited my check I was told I had money in the bank already that matched my calculations, as soon as I deposited the check all of a sudden those funds were not available making my account overdrawn, subsequently I am now overdrawn. All totaled I was on the phone for well over an hour today trying to get MY money. AVOID THIS BANK. Very poor customer service and no follow through.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I have been with this bank since 9/2015. I called on 12/7/16 regarding charges I did not authorize, still waiting on my card on this day 1/3/17. I called and got the runaround since 12/7/16, after speaking with Arlinda, Mike, Jackie, Valeria, Brianna, Carrie, and Cassie. All told me my card was sent twice already, well if that was the case I wouldn't be filing a complaint today. I have been waiting patiently for this bank and still nobody can send me card overnight or even provide me with a tracking number. PLEASE DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK!!! I will and have filed a complaint online with BBB.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

They use a company to produce their checks. The checks are very expensive. They screwed up my wife's name on the checks. I went to the bank branch at the McChord AFB BX. I had to wait a long time to get the new checks. The checks come back with the same wrong spelling. When you call you get an automated phone tree that takes a long time to get through, then you have to wait forever to get to talk with an actual person. There is always a long line at the McChord AFB branch. There is never enough tellers and they are super slow.

I recently deposited two checks from well known mortgage companies. The checks were less than two thousand dollars. They are holding the checks for twelve days. They could easily verify the checks way sooner than that, but they will not. It may seem convenient to use this bank because it's located on the Air Base or Army Post, but take my advice and avoid it like the plague!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

If you're reading this as a service member please do two things for me. Open a USAA account. Close your AF Bank account. There are many things I can tolerate. Intending to steal from me is one of them. I've caught them multiple times (6 times now) manipulating my account balances to show a much higher number than is actually available. They will post that I have around 200 USD in the account by removing a few transactions, when there is actually only a small amount there. Fast forward to a grocery shopping trip and you can guess how they plastered me with charges. Further they would throw charges from up to a week later on afterward to hit me with more overdrafts. They've also started making additional charges to my account without any notification to me. I didn't receive any emails, or letters about this new 1 USD fee for using an ATM on top of the ATM fee as well.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

Made this account in Boot Camp nearly three years ago. Had fairly mundane experience with them until recently. Had a few issues with how they put in my address making it hard to use my card on online purchases (spelling counts, Armed Forces Bank!) but nothing that was too hard to fix until I got married and attempted to change my last name. Called them and requested it be changed in their system, they said paperwork was required and it made sense, so I asked for the paperwork to be mailed to me.

About three weeks later, I hadn't received the paperwork so I called again to ask for it. I was told that my birth date was incorrect and I could not get into my account without the correct birth date. Being that I got married and not born on a different day, I asked to speak to the manager. The manager told me the same thing, my birth date was not the same in my file as what I said. I asked when it had been changed. She gave me the date that I called and requested it be changed, the day that I asked for my last name be changed. I asked how to fix it, she told me that I had to go into my local branch and bring my photo ID that had my birth date on it as proof. Totally reasonable, except that I had provided no documentation to have it changed in the first place and the "local" branch was a seven hour drive away.

So, I decided it wasn't worth it, and I would just move on without changing my last name. It really wasn't worth the drive to me. So I carried on with my maiden name on my card. UNTIL. I attempted to use my card to buy groceries. My card was declined. There was more than 3000 over what my bill was, so I was thoroughly confused. I went over to the ATM, put my card and PIN in and was given an error message to the effect of "not authorized user" and would not display anything.

With a full cart of groceries and a fussy baby I called the bank and dealt with a very crass, rude woman who flat out said my card was shut off because I should have switched to the new chip card I received months ago. The problem being that I had never received it. Upon further investigation I had never received it because they had never sent it. I then asked for a new card to be sent to me ASAP. I mean, it's nearly impossible to survive without a debit card. The man I spoke with at this point, the manager, was very nice and said he would have it rushed to me and apologized for the inconvenience.

Apparently, I am naive, because I truly thought my issues with the bank were over. Ha. Nope. Two weeks later I still hadn't received the card. I called again and was told I needed to log in to order a new card. Awesome. On the right track again! Until, I couldn't log in without knowing the DOB on my account. Still don't have a new card. Cool. Closing the account as soon as my direct deposit gets switched over. TLDR; Terrible bank, Terrible customer service. Not worth hassle.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

My husband and I had an account with Army National / Armed Forces bank for more than 40 years. Wherever we were stationed, he had his pay sent to Army National. His retirement and social security checks also went there. He passed away in July. Though I also have an account at a local bank, I decided to keep about $15K in reserve in the Armed Forces account because my husband seemed to have confidence in that bank. When I opened the Sept statement I found a $10 service charge, so I called to ask for an explanation. I was told that whenever there is no monthly direct deposit there is a $10 fee. I decided I didn't want to continue the account on that basis, so I was transferred to someone else to close the account. After answering some questions, I was told that ** amount had been wired to my local bank.

The number wasn't the same number I had arrived at after deducting outstanding checks. THEN I was told that there was a $20 fee deducted for sending the wire. If I had been told that up front, or even asked how I wanted the transaction handled, I wouldn't have had a wire sent. I would have simply written a check to zero out the account and then closed it. When I told this to the teller at my local bank she explained that there would also be a $15 charge to receive the wire, but under the circumstances she waived that fee. I was surprised that after so many years as a customer, once I was a widow, I was being taken advantage of in such a shoddy manner. I believe my husband would also have been deeply disappointed and would have agreed with my decision to sever the relationship. I will not hesitate to tell all my military friends, active duty and retired, about this experience.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

We have been banking with Armed Forces since 2009. I've had multiple accounts, checking and savings. I have my online banking set up and have text-alerts to keep me informed of almost all of the activity that take place on my account, including a simple text with my balance at the same time every day. I read through the paperwork that I sign so I know what I am agreeing to, I also ask questions ahead of time about what type of fees I might be charged and how to avoid them. Literally never had the problems listed in 90% of these reviews I've been reading through. In fact, some of them are complete lies, and I would know because I have checked into it.

You cannot be charged more than $125 per day in overdraft fees per day, so anyone who claims to have been charged a higher amount is lying. You can Opt-out of the overdraft option when you open the account, which means you do not authorize the bank to pay any of your debit card transactions that would cause your account to go into the negative. I read a post where someone claimed the bank Opted the IN for this option... nope. Not possible, they have to have your permission legally, which is always documented. If you agreed to it, you agreed to pay the overdraft fees. If you are worried about this, ASK QUESTIONS! Set up your online banking and actually keep track of your account. It's that simple.

I saw a review stating they had placed someone's loan in the wrong account, her daughter's account... The wrong account number was on the loan documents... which she had to sign. Folks, this means she didn't verify that all the info on the documents was correct before she signed. Adulting 101, read before you sign. She then stated that her daughter's debit card had magically been lost/stolen the night before and within 24 hours someone used all the funds. I'm calling BS. Her daughter used those funds, I'm almost willing to bet my left leg on it.

I see people state their accounts have been "hacked." No, that's not how it works, your actually bank account has not been hacked. It's either your debit card has been compromised or your account and routing number has been. Most of the time it's the debit card and when that is comprised it has nothing to do with the Bank's security at all. When debit cards get hacked it's because you've either used it online on a scam site, or a store you've shopped at recently has had THEIR system hacked, meaning the hacker got you from that company, not the bank.

Furthermore, when fraud happens, guess who ends up swallowing that cost in the long run? The bank!! When you file a dispute for an unauthorized transaction and you get your money back, 99% of the time the bank has put that money back into your account from their own pocket! This means they don't want you to experience fraud just as much as you don't want to because it's a huge loss for them!

And fyi, your personal information is not at risk when you experience debit card fraud, it's just your actually card number, which can be turned off and then a new card number is issued for your replacement card. Your date of birth, ssn, address, and other personal, identifiable information has not been shared, therefore it is not possible that you "experience identity theft" as a result of fraudulent transactions with your card. If you've ever truly experienced identity theft, that means someone has that info and is opening account using your identity and applying for lines of credit as you, and to protect yourself from that, get actual identity protection which monitors your personal information and alerts you when it is being used for such applications.

Now, when it comes to their call-center for customer service, I have to agree there is room for improvement. It is frustrating to wait on hold only to be connected to someone who has no clue what they are doing or who is rude to you. I have zero tolerance for anyone who works a customer service job who is rude to customers. However, if even half these people are as ignorant as the sound in these reviews, I am willing to bet they started the call out by being rude themselves. I've worked in customer service, and I am extremely good at my job and give excellent service, but when I am getting yelled at, cussed out, or if the customer isn't even allowing me the opportunity to assist them because they are too intent on venting to me about things I have no control over, they do not get the best service from me. I will tell them how it really is, in a professional way.

Some of these reviews state there are no options for deposits... yes there are. Many in fact. Some of these reviews address procedures that are exactly the same at other institutions because all banks have to follow regulations. Sorry, but it's part of life. Overall I gave this bank 3 stars, which means I am satisfied. I would give it more stars, but this bank could use some improvement on training new associates to know what they are doing before they have contact with the customers, and the hold time is not convenient for anyone, especially military customer who might get stationed overseas.

For anyone actually considering banking with Armed Forces, my advice would be to thoroughly read through your documents so you understand your account, set up your online banking and text-alerts, enroll in e-statements to avoid the $3 paper statement fee and stop reading these reviews from people who clearly don't know what they are talking about. Armed Forces was actually named the 2015 Bank of the Year for each branch of service by the Association of Military Banks of America (AMBA), so ask yourself how that is possible if they are so horrible. Perhaps these reviews are just being written by people who don't understand banking or businesses, or people that do not take responsibility for their own actions (or lack thereof), or that do not read things before they sign them, or cannot simply learn how to ask questions if there is something they don't understand.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I went into academy bank here in Columbia, Mo and applied for a loan. I go approved for the loan, signed the papers and waited for my loan. The loan was to be deposited into my account the same day at 5 pm. So the next day the money still hadn't been deposited into my account. I go grab my paper work to read over it and found out that they had placed the wrong account number on my paper work. So call the bank and they took forever to come to the phone so I went up to the bank and they had deposited the money into my daughter's account which is the second time that had happened. They took no blame for this issue and then told me there was nothing they could do about it.

My daughter's card had been lost the night before and someone had stolen the money off her card within 24 hrs. Now we are filing a claim against the bank and to start an investigation immediately. I am so displeased with this bank I cannot even find the words to express my feelings. This is the most horrible bank I have ever been a part of. They treat you like you're nothing and you're not important. I am taking this issue as far as I can!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

I have two accounts with Armed Forces Bank, and have had for 6 year. I find the customer service EXCELLENT! I see complaints in their reviews. I cannot believe them. I have never had a bad experience with this bank. Every employee I have ever spoke with has been polite and very helpful. If anything, I would say they go above and beyond any expectations you could possibly have. Highly recommend Armed Forces Bank to friends and family.

Armed Forces Bank Company Information