2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.9/5 (133 ratings)

About Armed Forces Bank

Armed Forces Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armed Forces Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armed Forces Bank?

Original review: June 27, 2021

Went to Luke Air Force Base, Armed Forces Bank (AFB) branch to cash a Fidelity Investment Account check that I wrote to myself for $3000. Manager and senior manager decided AFB WOULD NOT CASH THE CHECK. Best I could do was deposit it and get cash in several day after it cleared. Obviously, I wanted cash immediately or I wouldn’t have travelled 30 miles to go to the brick and mortar bank. I have a checking account with AFB, have been a member of the credit union for maybe 40 years, am a retired Army officer with great credit history (near 800 credit score), plenty of money in my Fidelity account and just needed cash. Further, I view $3000 as a small amount of cash and did not expect AFB to give me any problem cashing this check. Much to my chagrin managers told me no to cashing this check.

I am appalled that AFB would behave in this manner, feel extraordinarily disrespected and angry that I wasted my time going to AFB for this matter. I’m sure I could have went to Navy Federal Credit Union and been treated better - and got the cash. I could have even electronically deposited the check in my account at USAA and had immediate access to the funds. As I told The manager, AFB is acting like a third rate Archaic institution that is not focused on the customer. Also, what financial risk is AFB taking in cashing this check. I believe it is near zero. The damage is done. I’ll never go to the Luke Branch again and I’m evaluating the process and pain of closing my AFB account.

Further, you can guarantee I’m not going to be a happy customer heaping praise on AFB. Additionally, about two years ago my cash card was compromised and AFB behaved like armatures in resolving the problem. This is the second compromise I’ve experienced. AFB NOT IMPRESSIVE. You militarymembers should avoid this marginal institution.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I started with AF Bank in 2001 and from 2001 until probably 2010 I was pretty satisfied with AF Bank. My satisfaction with this bank occurred from 2010 until 2021. Over a 24 year Army career, including many years overseas, we never had any problems with our checking account and I was always able to speak with a polite and knowledgeable customer service rep but that changed! Looking back on my 2 decade long experience I would say that the culture of the bank changed. I no longer believe that this bank is looking out for the "Armed Forces" and that they are more interested in charging fees.

My breaking point was on a recent phone call in which the customer service rep was literally reading from a script to essentially tell me that fees and overdraft protection is based upon a computer algorithm. There is simply no humanity and no acknowledgement of the millions of dollars that have been deposited into my bank account for the past 20 years. I am now very happy to call USAA home for my family.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I have been with AF Bank since 1996. Ever since they updated their banking system it seems things are not working properly. I have 2 negatives in less than a week. First I had a direct that was sent on 20 Aug and deposit that took until Sep 1 to post, mind you as of Sep 2 it was still in Pending status. So how it then posted on the 1st well you get the picture. This has caused a delay in me being able to send money to my wife overseas. I then just this morning see now an overdraft fee, I looked at all transactions. I had money up until now so I don't know where this is coming from. I am very unsatisfied. I sent a request to get an explanation as to why, so as of Sep 4 2020 I'm waiting for a response.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I have been with this bank for 30+ years. While I was in the military and moving between US and Internationally I didn’t really have any issues with basic banking needs. When I retired opened/added a business account. Worst experience ever. What business account does not have ability to do mobile deposits especially when there is only ONE branch office in all of Northern Virginia. I literally have to go into the branch to deposit money. Ridiculous.

I was still satisfied with personal account based on my limited need of just checking balances, searching transactions and bill pay. The business account continues to suck and as soon as the new bank I am switching too starts accepting new accounts (frozen due to COVID) I am out. But this “updated” mobile banking app is without a doubt the worst piece of trash I have ever seen. I can no longer see or search transactions. And they know it’s trash because they have set up a separate phone number just to field questions on the ineffective and basically useless app. So not only am I switching business account I am switching personal as well. I tried to wait it out based on their promise of “upgraded” mobile banking but if this is there idea of upgrade they are clearly incapable of keeping up with the times and I am so gone.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Having been with the bank since 2002, I have moved several times and every time I moved it was a hassle to get my address changed because doing it online would only change it for statements, so I would end up having to call multiple times to get the new address associated with everything related to my account.

Original review: March 23, 2020

HIGH FEES NO REAL SERVICE FOR SENIOR ACCOUNT. Over the years AFB has evolved from being a very good bank to being more like a money grubber banks charging additional atm fees on top of fees already charged, charging to get your balance from any atm except an AFB atm. They are no longer a friendly banking option. Also still charging fees during the pandemic crisis.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I took out stop payments on these accounts that were fraudulently opened, and I am fighting that as we speak, but last month, see attachment, I was charged over $60.00 because one of the institutions that I had taken out the stop payment on, withdrew the charge due to insufficient funds in my account. However, regardless of the stop payment, the bank charged me for insufficient funds as well as a returned check fee.

As you see, now there is another charge that from that same institution, that should not be charged to my account at all, despite the stop check fees that I have paid and once again, my family has no money for food. This isn't the only time this has happened with Armed Forces, I have made complaints before, and they covered their tracks.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Recently my husband's account numbers were stolen, we believe from a gas station due to the fact my husband really doesn’t use the cards anywhere but that gas station and a tobacco stop, anyway we were contacted of this on a Wednesday, money attempted in Florida about 3 hrs away, was told card was cut off and no more transactions would be accepted, anyway Friday evening I went to pull out $$ seen a negative amount, this can’t be right, so I called bank. Closed, so had to wait till Saturday morning, anyway we spoke to the bank about how they allowed this to happened when they assured us it wouldn’t! Excuses giving, told to fill out the dispute and email right back and Monday (today) they’ll credit our money back. Well **, No money credited so I called again, demanded to speak to a bank instead of a call center, lady at the bank took my info, claims she a supervisor and can’t credit my $$$.

Checked on the email. Said nothing's there which I know is a lie since I have the “received” back, so she’s telling me we have to wait, let me tell you this bank really doesn’t give a hoot on the service people they claim to stand behind, it’s utterly ** that one has to wait when they’re stolen from and the bank allows it.

I personally bank at USAA and can tell you they do stand behind us, I had this happen once and they automatically credited me and of course I filled a dispute form. I’m going to talk husband into dropping this bank, we’ve banked there for years! It’s not getting better. It’s worse and $$$ is the CEO priority. Not its people.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

They were never good and have become horrible. Good luck reporting fraudulent transactions because they refuse to answer their phone, which is the only way to make a report. I am calling them from Thailand via Skype thank God because I've been "on hold" for 45 minutes. There is no excuse for hold times this long. None. We will be closing our account once they ever get off their behinds to actually answer the phone. I'm just hoping we don't have our entire account drained before I finally manage to speak to someone. I am seriously considering legal action if that occurs. Why should we be out thousands because they refuse to make representatives available to take a fraud report.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I have been with this bank for 16 years and now switching to another. Every time I have to make a larger deposit or get a straight answer from customer service it’s always an issue. First when PayPal tried to take payment from my account that has been linked for 15 years they told them the account was closed, it definitely is not, and now I have late fees. I called to sort things out. They tell me nothing is wrong. Second I make a large check deposit. They told me a five day hold no problem. I make it at 8 on Monday thinking Friday or Saturday. No the following week Tuesday. So actually 8 days. I asked why. They said, "We don’t count weekends." If your bank is open on the weekends guess what. That’s still a business day.

Armed Forces Bank Company Information