2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.9/5 (184 ratings)

About Armed Forces Bank

Armed Forces Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armed Forces Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armed Forces Bank?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I opened a credit card account last year at a branch in WA state and started having problems right away. I told the manager of branch I wanted card paid in full each month when due. It never happened and I got late fee. I contacted bank and told them to call manager of bank I opened the account to clear things up. They never did so I called again with each call lasting near a hour. They told me I had to go thru another dept. dedicated to credit cards but it would not let me set up my account. I called bank again and they set me up and refunded late fee. The next month they took out 2000 from my bank account to cover credit card.

The card statement I got said I deposited 138 that month so I am out 2000-138. I called again and they gave me the runaround. I am a disabled veteran and 2000 is a lot of money for me to lose. I called several times since then and nothing. I closed credit card account and am looking for another bank. There is nothing I can do about this theft. They said they don't do business that way but I am out money and the only recourse I can see is to go federal reserve to complain to them. This is the first time for me losing money to an incompetent bank. Last month I checked my account and seen my rent payment debited 3 times and another debited twice but it was taken care of before I called the next day. How does that happen.

They blocked my account because I brought some books from Amazon which were small amounts because it looked suspicious. This bank is bad news and I have been with it over ten years hoping they would clean up their act. The only reason I joined bank is because I thought with the name Armed Forces Bank I would get better service since I was 100% disabled vet. Do not open a credit card account.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. It seems like every couple of days I would have to call them usually to fix their mistakes. I was on the phone no less than an hour each time. Every time I would call I would be told something different about the same issue or their policies in general how they handle situations all of the above. I filed a dispute they told me it was received and being reviewed. I called several times about status. Was told I had to wait, 3 months later they tell me we never had a dispute filed. WHAT? And now it is too late to file it. They denied the dispute because it had been over 60 days. NO I have proof it was filed right away and this was a big amount too.

The company that took my money is a scam so they stole my money and the bank plays games so the scammer wins. One of the many problems I called about was my Business bank card. It never worked. Wouldn’t let me set up my pin or work in ATM. After months and months of calling and ordering new cards (15 new cards) waiting for new one to come to find out it didn’t work either someone at the bank figures out that they had the wrong code in so it would never work. He fixed it and wow problem solved. I finally get everything working correctly then I get a notice they are closing my accounts and won’t tell me why and no one at the bank knows why either. Because they are incompetent. They close my account. Like I said worst bank ever! And there is more too but I am out!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

This is the worst bank I’ve ever seen. My husband and I have had nothing but bad experiences with this bank. They’ll stole so much money from us. They’d charge us twice for the same thing and say it was the person who we’d purchased it from (how when this happen every single time we purchased something?) but luckily we started to screenshot whenever money was taken out. Their customer service is terrible. One lady canceled our 2nd card without our permission. This bank is absolutely terrible. RUN FAR FROM IT!!! Go to the credit union instead. This bank does not care about its customers.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Customer service is non-existent. They can never do anything you want them to do. I was promised a clear date and after the date past I called back to find out they can't do what I was told. People are incompetent and when you do transfer to supervisor their hands are tied due to some other system and they literally can't do anything. Worst banking experience I've had.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

This is the absolute worst bank I have ever had! The people that answer the phone can never do anything. They always have to transfer to a "specialist" (ya right) after explaining the reason for calling and going through verification. When "specialist" gets on the line finally you have to go through everything all over again. Waste of my time. I have had several issues with this bank so I wasted lots of time on the phone with them. Time is money for me. One of the many problems with this incompetent bank is they couldn't get my business bank cards to work. I would get a card and activate it and then to set up my pin it would tell me it couldn't process my request at this time. Call the customer service. I did this 10+ times getting new cards. The first 5 had nothing on the back. No ATM logos bank number nothing. But all of them wouldn't let me set up my pin. Super frustrating. I never bounced any check never had a customer check bounce or return.

I had a good history with my check deposits. They very rarely put a hold of my deposits anymore. I was so optimistic about my banking history I called to apply for a auto loan and they told me they were closing my account. In total shock I asked why and they would not tell me why. All they would say is they don't have to tell me why and they have decided to close my account.

I needed to get my money out of my account so I called again to try to get my card working. After talking to 3 people I finally got Austin (the only employee with a brain that I dealt with). I told him about my card troubles. He put me on hold and when he came back he said my card was fine as I have been told that along with many other wrong info. I put him on hold and tried to set my pin and WOW it actually worked all this time and frustration FINALLY! I finally get it fixed and they are closing my account UNBELIEVABLE! Austin said it was a pretty obvious fix at least obvious to him. Why couldn't anyone else figure this out? Since Austin seemed to know what he was talking about I asked him about why my account was being closed. He said he could not see any reason why my account would be closing. He didn't see anything wrong. So WTF.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

There is NO 24/7/365 Customer Service. Massive issues with Account Lockouts. Live Customer Service is NOT 24 / 7 365 as stated! BEWARE NOT TO OPEN ACCOUNT HERE. 1-888-929-BANK (1-888-929-2265). Massive contacting Armed Forces Bank period!

Original review: March 3, 2018

Is Armed Forces Bank match.com? So my husband asked me to make a transfer to his account. No problem. Super easy right? Ha. Well I call the bank and get this agent. I always say this word for word "hi this is David. I'd like to transfer to my husband's linked account." Obviously the agent can figure out our orientation. So he goes into all this small talk I'm not about to write it all down. But he kept asking me if I wanted to call or text him and that he could totally hook us up with a trip to Puerto Rico because that's where is husband is from.

Say what? What kind of service is this from my bank? Like dude, no I don't want your number. He gives me it anyways. >.> he's like totally call me. Umm yeah sure man. Then he starts asking all these personal questions about our work and what we do (They can see our employer info) so I sideswipe the question and only say what I do for work but not anything specific. Then he starts reading off all my personal info kinda as if he is memorizing it or something. I'm telling you, this conversation was way off. It's hard to explain it in text. I was so freaked out at the violation of privacy that I just got off the phone as fast as possible. This is a very surreal situation for us. He knows all of our personal info, probably better than us, and yeah... Not good. What kind of bank allows this to happen to it's "valued" customers. I am appalled.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I’ve been on hold with this bank for 7 hours for TWO DAYS and they won’t budge. One day my direct deposit is pending in my account and the day it’s supposed to come... POOF, IT'S GONE. These people won’t help at all!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I've banked with AFB for 17 years. I did this because I was in the military for 22 years and they were open when the PX was open so the hours suited me. They always take money out quickly and never deposit money on time, so as to try to stick you with overdraft fees. Since I've retired (in 2012 with 22 years in DOD Army) they tell me that DFAS does not require that they deposit my retirement checks by the 1st of the month. Therefore it is always after a long weekend or especially holiday weekends. This also suits them as most of us live from paycheck to paycheck and need the money no the 1st of the month. They never take your word for any transaction even though I've banked with them for almost two decades. They always take the side of the business no matter how many complaints have been posted about the company.

They will list preauthorization's 20 to 30 times so as to confuse you and take your money anyway even if you have disputed the charges before they were paid for. They hire untrained and uneducated people to handle the phone, making customer service a joke. They cancelled my account in the middle of the month once because I told them that if they didn't fix my issue (which was black and white) I was going to cancel my account. They cancelled it without my knowledge making any/all checks I wrote after that overdrafts. One was for my mortgage!

Recently I let my grandson use my debit card to buy an online computer game card. The company they dealt with was so corrupt that they charged me a membership fee (every month for two months until I caught it) and then charged me a return fee when they (begrudgingly) reimbursed his original charge. I finally stopped my DFAS retirement check from going to them and will cancel on the 1st of Nov so they don't have the fun and luxury of retribution by closing my account in the middle of the month. They are hostile to say the least and as far as bank loans go FORGET ABOUT it... They offer a 70% home loan! Gee you do the OU come up with the 30% they won't cover. Done with them and happy to never have to deal with or hear from them again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I had money erroneously put into this account which I haven't touched in over a year. Not only did they freeze my account without even making sure I was aware of the situation they also charged it off to collections and I had absolutely no idea. They charged my account for 28.75 for a collections "fee" and then charged me 20$ to have money in this account wired to another account my USAA checking.

The money got put into this account from me being on SAD orders when I was activated to go to Texas and help with the relief. Their customer service was absolutely horrible and every single time I spoke to someone it was ALWAYS a different story as to why they charged me all these crazy fees. Please whatever you do stay AWAY from this company! They're absolutely horrible and offered little to no resolve for my issues. They either wanted me to open another account with them, or wait 10-14 business days to get my check (from my SAD orders from being activated)... Please stay far away from this company as possible!!!

Armed Forces Bank Company Information